Tess: Evil or Misguided?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

destinysucks
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by destinysucks »

I think Tess was merely misguided, she was told something her whole life and had come to know the things she was told as the truth.
If she'd been given a more human up bringing and was given the chance to think about things other than her destiny and the nexy Alien threat then shemay of been a little less Alien skank and a little more pod squad
Doublestuf
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Doublestuf »

I think the real question should be: The Writers - evil or misguided?

As has been pointed out, Tess could have been a great character realized in a variety of ways, had the writers a clue what to do with her. She could have been a great big bad if they had stuck with her season 1 appearance and didn't try and soften her so that when she did reveal herself as less than good at the end of season 2, there would have been the satisfication of a great character arc realized. OR, they could have continued to soften her, not use her for a cheap excuse to keep the A-story couple apart.

As Kath said, she really has come into her own in fanfic. For example, I never really bought the whole misguided thing on the show and yet in some fic, rainbow_watcher's Tess pov series comes to mind, not only do I buy it, I'm drawn in by her plight. I care what happens to this character in fic in a way I never, ever did on the show.
A better world has got to start somewhere. Why not with you and me?
KParkerEvans
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by KParkerEvans »

I think Tess was both, but I also think that once Nasedo was dead, she didn't have to carry though with the plan. I think Nasedo helped her become evil, and he also lead her in the wrong direction. Did she have to contuine in that direction? No, I don't think so. I liked Tess, but after everything was said and done it was her choice to kill Alex and send them all to their deaths. Maybe the right person could have helped her see that she didn't have to do that, but that's not what happened.
"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live."
-- Marcus Aelius Aurelius
Beautiful86
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: San Antonio, TX. Home of the NBA World Champs of 2005!

Post by Beautiful86 »

Tess Harding.

Two words. So simple, yet so complex. Haha.

I always understood Tess' character. I think many overlook just how long she was brainwashed into thinking things. The truth is that we'll never know just how her personality really was. Except for the mid-season two, when she's with Kyle.

I always wanted to believe that Tess was a person at heart, she had a soul. But she went and proved me wrong at the end of Season Two. When she killed Alex, we all knew that it was the writers just trying to throw Emilie off for various reasons circulating the Roswell boards at that time. I personally am a very large fan, but beside the point.

I think Tess can be whatever you want her to be. In the world of fanfic, she has come into her own. She can be the greatest ally the group has ever had and she can also plunge to depths below Nicholas.

It's up to the watcher. :D
<center>Image

AU/No Aliens-Max and Liz...with realistic complications...</center>
RoswellFan1947
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Just Misguided

Post by RoswellFan1947 »

I love the Max & Liz relationship, but I love Tess too. Max, Liz & Tess are my favorite characters, and I don't just like Tess because Emilie de Ravin is my favorite actress. I hate when people are always saying " Oh, I hate Tess." She brought a really good story to the show. I think she was definitely just misguided.
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

after 2nd season, i hated her. but now, it really just depends on the fanfiction. i mean, i still hate her on the show, but the fanfiction can either make me love her or hate her.
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Just Misguided

Post by Raychelxluscious »

RoswellFan1947 wrote:I love the Max & Liz relationship, but I love Tess too. Max, Liz & Tess are my favorite characters, and I don't just like Tess because Emilie de Ravin is my favorite actress. I hate when people are always saying " Oh, I hate Tess." She brought a really good story to the show. I think she was definitely just misguided.
Hehe. Ditto. :)

Raychel
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

wow, i just realized i basically just wrote a contradiction of everything i've been saying before. oh well, people can have a change of heart (even though i still hate her on the show.) i mean, Tess does it all the time. :)
POM

Post by POM »

Misguided--but at the end of season 2-- she knew what she was doing..and knew the danger she was getting everyone into and she still went throught with it...therefore overall, I know she is EVIL!! The DEVIL!! :)
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

BURN THE WITCH WHO SCREWED UP SECOND SEASON!
Magic Mushroom Omelets. You know what I'm talking about.

"Do it, or I'll snap your neck, pour jelly on your body, and pray to the GODS OF JELLY... to BURN YOUR SOUL in A JELLY LIKE HELL! Now GET THE JELLY!" - Dane Cook
(Sorry, I was watching Comedy Central)