Tess: Evil or Misguided?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

Thanks for your observation Chrisken :D 8)
By French Dreamer

"Evans, take it from someone who has seen way too many telegrams go out to newly widowed wives. In the long run it's best to travel as light as you can, if you know what I mean." Jim Valenti

Coming Soon!
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

Roslover39 wrote: Question:

Am I the only one to think that the whole You were my husband on Antar stuff was just another mind-warp?

If anyone thinks that was real, can you explain why you do?
This goes back to the bad writing again. There's no conclusive backstory for or against the proposition. We don't even know if the mom-o-gram was the real deal, or just something that was cooked up to manipulate the kids. Presumably Ava was important to the Royal Four, otherwise why bother to clone her with the other three. There are all kinds of assumptions, guesses, and hints, but no conclusive evidence for it beyond hearsay....by some aliens who seem to see the ability to lie with a straight face as a virtue. (Did anyone notice that BTW? That, by human standards, almost every alien we met outside the Pod Squad was a moral toad?) Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I think that's why Roswell has been such fertile ground for fic....and why we're still here. The writers left gaping holes in the canon that you could park a bus in. It gives us a lot of room to work in. I've read stories where she was his wife and they were (past tense) happy. I've read stories where she was his wife and they were some varying degree of unhappy. Stories where it was an arranged marriage. Stories where she killed him. Stories where he killed her. Stories where they never met. Stories where she was actually his sister for God's sake. And the thing is, with what canon info we have, any of them could be right.

Laters,
Rick
Last edited by Kzinti_Killer on Sat May 13, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Uhm I have to ditto the last post and add...
Kzinti_Killer wrote:The writers left gaping holes in the canon that you could park a bus in.
Understatement of the year... You could park every vehicle in every public transit system in the country in some of those holes.
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

But that's what makes fanfic so fun.... right?

*nervous laugh* :roll:
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Yup
Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

Question:

I noticed that there are writers here that ask for BETA's for their fics,

don't writers for tv have their own form of BETA to double check the

scripts? Or were the Roswellcheckers

asleep at the wheel?
By French Dreamer

"Evans, take it from someone who has seen way too many telegrams go out to newly widowed wives. In the long run it's best to travel as light as you can, if you know what I mean." Jim Valenti

Coming Soon!
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Well they can...

I know that both the Stargate and the Startrek franchises hire a team of technical advisers to keep the Science part of the Science Fiction at least somewhat realistic.

But I think that's the problem there... unlike fanfic writers who get people to beta there work for free, they have to pay people. My thoughts are that TPTB were to cheap to pay someone to go over there scripts for consistancy. That's how we ended up with 3 dates for the shooting, midterms in September, a completely human baby contacting Max across galaxies when Isabel couldn't do it across states, etc.
Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

Exactly :lol:

:roll: I know I've ventured off the subject :roll:

Zanity,

Do you think the show would have stayed on TV if they pushed the

envelope as far as more sci-fi :?: (Antar and the alien enemies of the

Pod Squad)
By French Dreamer

Coming Soon!
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

:roll: ::Apologies to the Mods for off topic discussion, if I continue in this discussion after this post I'll start a new thread.:: :roll:

I don't know I know I would have liked to see more of it... or less of it. They had a pretty good show going in S1 through sexual healing then thay threw in a heavy dose of the sci-fi side of thing until the end of S2 then they backed off of it almost completely in S3. They either needed to not introduce it in the first place or keep with it to it's conclusion. S3 should have been about repairing the relationship between Max and Liz and preventing TEOTW now that Tess was out of the picture anyway. Instead we got a gloss over on the Max/Liz repairs and completely abandoned the war that was still left to fight.
Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

:roll: Sorry :roll:

I never knew how important continuity in a tv show was

until all the inconsistencies showed up on Roswell .

I have to ask, If the show was turned over to you after Sexual Healing,
what are the changes you would have made, and what would have remained the

same :?:
By French Dreamer

Coming Soon!