No Way, Never Ever, Not A Chance

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

adi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

No Way, Never Ever, Not A Chance

Post by adi »

Who in your mind is the most UNLIKABLE character in Roswell and why.

UPDATE - YOU CAN ONLY PICK THOSE IN THE ACTUAL SHOW, NOT FANFIC VERSIONS OF THE SAME. THEY ARE THE BASIS FOR ALL THE FANFIC.

Its more than likely that most of you will pick one of the badguys like kivar, Nicholas, Tess, etc. That isn't the intent of my question though.

Example - Tess is a nasty evil backstabbing gerbil. That description (and many similar) have been posted almost everywhere. That doesn't make her an unlikable CHARACTER though since that is what she is supposed to be. A bad guy. Without her there would be no show. To be honest in the third series I actually liked her - don't ask me why, I don't know. I just did.

In my mind the most unlikable character in Roswell is

*hides behind sofa with a tray as a shield*

Max.

Why you may say since he was the "hero" of the show. While I don't mind flawed hero's but he was a complete and total (insert a paragraph of insults, epiphets and flowery language here). I don't care if he had reasons for his many character flaws - I still don't like him.

The only time I came close to liking him (and it wasn't that close) was when Tess was doing her thing on him and even that wasn't actually "him", that was her controlling him.

Maybe I just didn't like that fact that Liz (even though I think she was the joint best character in the show had a clear "matyr" complex) was in love with that control freak.
Last edited by adi on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

This topic really doesn't belong on the Stargazer board, since it's not specifically related to A/I. I'm moving it to Roswell General Discussion. Let's keep any character bashing to a minimum please? At the first sign of this thread getting out of hand, it will be closed.

My own "most unlikeable" is a dead heat between Sean and Jesse, both for the same reasons.

As a writer it's hard for me to blame a character for anything, since it's the writer's fault if the characters fail to live up to their billing.

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic
Location: Alabama for now, but someday I'll be on a beach in Morocco

Post by FaithfulAngel24 »

Mine has got to be Sean. I'm sorry I just don't like him at all. :D
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment
adi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by adi »

Kzinti_Killer wrote:This topic really doesn't belong on the Stargazer board, since it's not specifically related to A/I. I'm moving it to Roswell General Discussion. Let's keep any character bashing to a minimum please? At the first sign of this thread getting out of hand, it will be closed.
Understood - the question was originally asked while considering that Darth Vader (the ultimate bad guy) was the probably the most popular person in star wars. It also relates strictly to the show since fanfic versions can be made as good or bad as you like. The authors also got paid a lot of money for making those mistakes.

As a writer it's hard for me to blame a character for anything, since it's the writer's fault if the characters fail to live up to their billing.

Rick
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

Definitely Max. Really don't like him, and not because he's flawed - they all are just like they should be - but because his combination of flaws is something I personally just can't stand in a person. His character totally rubs me in the wrong way. Don't like him in any of the seasons.
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
Anna-Liisa
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Anna-Liisa »

Liz. In my mind she's annoying. I don't see why she's so popular (I think it's because she's the main character with Max, but...). She's too perfect- ly annoying. And look what she did to Max... Hurt him, which made him 'hurt her' and then she yelled at him because of it. I mean, c'mon. They both got hurt mentally and Liz blames him? Geez.

Okay, I'll stop before I get hit by the tomatos that come from Liz fans *hides*
The only "ism" Hollywood believes in is plagiarism.
- Dorothy Parker
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Nicholas, hands down. What was even the POINT of him, anyway? He wasn't scary, he wasn't funny, he wasn't anything but a yawn.

Also, the Dupes. I never really got the point of them, either, and I'm not the biggest fan of them.

And I guess Liz, too. I don't hate her obviously, but I find myself getting more and more annoyed with her when I rewatch episodes. I'm not big on martyrdom. *shrugs*
Okay, I'll stop before I get hit by the tomatos that come from Liz fans *hides*
We'll help shield each other, lol.
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Michael for me. I just didn't like his whole attitude. He was always sarcastic, rude, and most of the time just plain annoying. All his lecturing to Max about asking for permission from the other aliens, and then he'd just go off and do his own thing. Did he consult with Max or Isabel? Uh, no.

I didn't throw tomatoes at the people who said Max, so return the favor!

*hides in fear*
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Isabel...Don't know really why, I just didn't like her...I couldn't understand her...Really! I liked Alex much more, so if she had stayed with him (until his death :cry: ) maybe she would receive some of my sympathy. But she wasn't him...And I don't know why? Why? What she wanted? I just can't figure it out...One moment she is with Alex, then she is sitting with him and totally ignores him! She just changed so quickly in the show. From cold to warm, from Alex to Jesse, from going to college, then to not going to college...Although I understand why she never had gone to college...
In the first season, she had wanted to be a supermodel. In the second season she had wanted to go to a college. In the third season, she just married...Without college, without supermodel job. I of course understand that she wouldn't grief for Alex forever, but her relationship with Jesse was just too quickly...
Ok, I understand that from that I have written it looks that my negative opinion on Isabel is just because of Alex, but it's not just because of him. I just couldn't find a place for her in my Roswell heart. There were some moments, when I liked her ( in Destiny or when Alex had just died...).
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Well in S2 Liz really ticked me off. Max made a lot of mistakes in S2 as well but he had my sympathy because his life was a living hell.

S3 Max through "Ch-ch-changes" really ticked me off though, because Liz was trying to correct her mistakes but he treated her like dirt.

Post "Chant Down Babylon" I found I was able to forgive both of them.

Isabel really ticked me off in S3 too. After all the guff she and Michael gave Max over wanting to be with Liz, somone they grew up with, after she already knew their secret. She had a lot of gall to complain about Max looking into Jesse, a complete unkown, who didn't know their secret.

And I agree with maxandliz4ever1357, Michael was really annoying until he straigtened himself out near the end of S2.

But for "Most Unlikeable Chararcter" I'd have to agree with Applebylicious Nicholas had absolutely no redeeming qualities.