Did Anyone Like Jesse Ramirez?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Did Anyone Like Jesse Ramirez?

Post by morethenwords122 »

I've recently been rewatching Roswell, and now that's I'm nearing season 3, I was wondering if anyone actually liked Jesse. I mean... he wasn't a bad dude. I liked him for what he was. I believed that he really did love Isabel and even though it took him awhile to accept that Max, Michael, and his wife were aliens, he always did protect them even before then.

I just didn't like the fact that they brought his character in as a complete replacement for Alex, like we as viewers were supposed to forget that Isabel and Alex had loved each other and existed within the canon. I mean, I understand that Isabel had to find a way to accept Alex's death and move on...but it felt like she was throwing away everything she had ever shared with Alex to do so... and when she said that she had never felt the way she did about Jesse with nobody else, I felt like screaming that only a few episodes ago she had told Alex she would always love him.

The 180 just didn't make sense. Alex was such a beloved character that bringing in Jesse's character to take over and replace him just wasn't going to work. I think people would have accepted Jesse more if he wasn't a such one-dimensional character that's only purpose was to revolve around Isabel.... I get that they had been only granted eighteen episodes for season 3, but they still could have take some time to develop him. Also what was with the sudden wedding...? It just really didn't make any sense, and it pissed me the hell off. Alex wasn't even died a year yet! Now I'm not saying she has to be alone, but you can't make a lifetime commitment with someone you haven't even told the whole truth to yet.

Jesse didn't sign up to be married to alien and even though he came around, but what if he hadn't? Isabel could have put everyone in serious danger with her irrationality. Isn't Isabel usually reserved to the point of circumspect? Didn't it take Alex almost two years to finally get Isabel to truly open up to him? The Isabel I know would have never rushed into a relationship like she did with Jesse.

I don't know... I think that I could have really liked Jesse if they had took the time to made him more relatable and real to me, and if they didn't throw away two years of characterization just so his character could fit into the mix. What are your guys thoughts?
I hurt myself today/To see if I still feel- (Hurt, Johnny Cash)

My Fics

(My Tumblr)

Ao3 Account
rockkitten
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Did Anyone Like Jesse Ramirez?

Post by rockkitten »

Yesssss! I agree 100%! It wasn't that I disliked him, but he was thrown into the mix in such a haphazard fashion that I didn't get a chance to really know him. Season 3 was so bonkers though, most of the characters weren't acting like themselves. I understand that they couldn't show every aspect of their lives, but did they ever once show Isabel at college or studying or anything? It's like she suddenly turned into a housewife, it was totally weird, especially for a character like hers. No job and barely going to school. I definitely didn't understand the rush to get married (why not just live together for awhile). Jesse was older and seemed like an intelligent and somewhat traditional guy. It didn't make sense for his character to want to marry a teenager. Side note: was it just me or did all of his suits always seem too big? It looked like he was a kid playing dress-up in his dad's closet. Drove me crazy.
rockkitten
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by rockkitten »

Oh, and one more thing (maybe someone can explain this to me), why was Jesse left behind at the end, yet Maria went with Michael? I understand Liz and Kyle going since they had been "changed" because of being healed by Max, but Maria had nothing "alien" about her, just like Jesse. Also, wouldn't Jesse have been in danger being left behind since the Unit knew he was her husband? Wouldn't it have made sense for him to run too? I just didn't get it. Why go through the trouble of creating this entire relationship in Season 3 just to leave it like that at the end? It's been awhile since I watched the last episode, am I just remembering it wrong? I have serious mom-brain, so it's very possible.
morethenwords122
Addicted Roswellian

Post by morethenwords122 »

rockkitten wrote:Oh, and one more thing (maybe someone can explain this to me), why was Jesse left behind at the end, yet Maria went with Michael? I understand Liz and Kyle going since they had been "changed" because of being healed by Max, but Maria had nothing "alien" about her, just like Jesse. Also, wouldn't Jesse have been in danger being left behind since the Unit knew he was her husband? Wouldn't it have made sense for him to run too? I just didn't get it. Why go through the trouble of creating this entire relationship in Season 3 just to leave it like that at the end? It's been awhile since I watched the last episode, am I just remembering it wrong? I have serious mom-brain, so it's very possible.
Jesse wanted to go with them, but Isabel wouldn't let him because she felt like he had already given up so much of his life and freedom to protect Isabel and the pod squads secret without his permission or knowledge until much later. She didn't want him to give up anymore for her than he already had... but it didn't make sense and it just made Jesse look weak in my eyes. If he had really loved her he would have insisted or pushed her aside and said that he was a grown man who could make his own decisions. It also left him open to danger too.

I think Maria went because she was an original conspirator and because she realized that she was truly on-board with the whole alien business and being in that kind of relationship with Michael for the rest of her life. She loved Michael... she loved her friends and couldn't leave them behind. I don't think deep down that Isabel and Jesse had that kind of love for each other.
I hurt myself today/To see if I still feel- (Hurt, Johnny Cash)

My Fics

(My Tumblr)

Ao3 Account
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Cocogurl »

I've never disliked Jessie, I just think he came into the show at the wrong time. If Roswell gone on for six or seven seasons, than I could easily buy his relationship with Isabel because her transformation from teenager to grown woman would've been able to happen more naturally. But Izzie transformation from who she was in S2 to being old married lady in S3 just felt so OOC, so it made it hard for me to get as invested into their relationship.

Plus I feel like they kind slapped the stargazer relationship in the face by having her move on so fast.
Thanks to DreamerLaure for the banner

Cocogurl's Fantasies
Jezebel Jinx
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Jezebel Jinx »

I'm also in the camp of, I didn't hate him, his character was fine, there was nothing that made me despise him but also nothing that made me love him or put him in a strong feeling category (hate, love, love to hate, etc.) he was just 'ok'. There were so many moments in Season 3 that were very jarring and left me going 'huh?' and unfortunately Jesse was one of those elements. Even though I didn't hate him and did enjoy some of his moments, and he was definitely easy on the eyes, but he felt shoehorned in.

I didn't mind that Isabel was moving on but at the same time it felt too soon for where the character was in Season 2. Plus the complete change Isabel seemed to have from Season 2 to Season 3. She was a teenager in Season 2 and then it seemed like she was at least 5 years older than our core group in Season 3. And how fast she was in love with Jesse, how fast she was engaged to him, and then how quick the marriage happened; it was too much, too soon.
Sig made by AngelFaith
My Fics
Ships: Bangel~Spuffy~Polar~Jumper~Drifter~X-tremer~Awakened Dreamer~Catfighter~Naley~Rogan~Liason~Chilly~Delena~Sebasthryn~Ezria~Jaylee