Revival Series Premiere *spoiler alerts*

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

singerchic4
Forum Moderator

Revival Series Premiere *spoiler alerts*

Post by singerchic4 »

*spoiler alert*

I was nervous and excited hearing about the revival but I gave it a shot. The first about 3/4th in I actually loved. I loved the personalities of the actors, that they aged them up suprised me that I liked. I loved the tip of the hat in the diner at Max talking to Liz through the glass as did Max living in old Valenti's house. The female sheriff Valenti twist didn't bother me either. I'm intrigued about what Michael learned living on the site and learning more about the sister backstory.

The turning point part that really frustrated me though was the major character change of Michael and Alex's sexuality. Nothing against it in theory at all of course, just that it's a huge diversion from the original character relationships. I just read the interview with the new creator and his explanation about why he did that was flimsy to me and it doesn't seem necessary and he specificfied that Micheal is bisexual and Alex is gay. But having Isobel already married I suppose limits that relationship with Alex anyway but it wouldn't be unheard of for the husband to have an accident or whatever. But with this major rewrite the whole stargazer arch is never going to happen. The original three couples were the backbone of the show with Tess and Kyle later...and will never be in this version and that's just frustrating and disappointing to me. I shouldn't have been surprised by CWs take but they got me hooked in by halfway through then changed the game. I'm tempted enough to keep watching but that's going to continue to frustrate me. After 20 years knowing these characters and knowing who they are and who they've loved and lost in Isobel's case I'm disappointed to see such a major change in the character canon. If anyone would understand it would be you all!

What else did all of you like, love, etc of the premiere?
If you're having a bad day and in need of a good laugh, click the siggie.
Check out my fics and art
Board ArchivesRulesFundraising
dusk
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Revival Series Premiere *spoiler alerts*

Post by dusk »

I have to admit I was really looking forward to the new Roswell. Well, I didn't care for all the digs at illegal immigration, and I did quit watching when Michael blew out the car window. It would be one thing to do that to a parked vehicle, but that car was being driven, and it happened to be the driver's window. What does that say about Michael? Decided I didn't care enough to keep watching.

And seeing Max heal Liz, it was like Max was super constipated...not a pretty sight :lol:

Doubt I'll watch any more, but will look forward to renewed interest in the fanfics !!!
"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." —John Quincy Adams
Luzser1800
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Luzser1800 »

I’m so glad there are people here talking about it. I came back here, after years of being away, just to talk to fans. I read a bunch of reviews, and it’s clear that none of them were original fans.

The huge character diversion of Michael and Alex, as well as the political commentary kind of grates on me. Honestly, it could have been more subtle. Plus, where will we get our comic relief? Both Michael and Alex are moody and mad all the time. I liked Alex as the mood lifter. As soon as he came around, the atmosphere got lighter. I’ll miss that.

As a dreamer, I can admit that the new Max and Liz have good chemistry. However, they had no basis for that original connection. When original Max heals Liz, he does it in front of a crowded cafe, not in the middle of the night with no one around to counter Max and Liz lying about her getting shot. And, when first finding out about him, Liz is scared. She only falls in love after Max lets her see herself through his eyes. That moment in the cafe is what seals their connection. It’s the entire reason for Liz reciprocating the doey eyes.

In this new Roswell, we’re given the puppy dog eyes with two characters that barely even spoke to one another. I dunno. I just didn’t feel like it was believable, or that Max risked much at all by healing Liz. I think I will watch a few more just to see where it goes, but we’ll see.
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Raychelxluscious »

Watched last night with two other former writers on RF (one Skyped in long distance), and we loved it. We're getting together weekly now to continue the series, and hope it only gets better.

We cheered at Michael and Alex, and loved and appreciated the relevancy of the current topics.

I admit, I didn't want to love it. But... we're in. Even started joking about starting up new Roswell, NM fanfic - after 10 years of not writing LOL.

Looking forward to seeing how they incorporate the book series, and what kind of homage they pay to our beloved original.
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
Hopeless Romantic
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Hopeless Romantic »

I was with Raychelxluscious watching the premiere and I was very pleased!

I don’t think this New Roswell is trying to be *our* Roswell, and I think that’s a good thing. Roswell deviated from the original source material (the books), and I’m sure when it premiered it got similar feedback from fans of the book series (or fans that read the books in anticipation of the show’s premiere like me). There were a lot of elements our show changed and did differently and we grew to love it so much that 17 years after it ended, we were still in love with it. That doesn’t happen often.

I, for one, am open minded to the changes and glad that it didn’t try too hard to be ours. Instead, it’s current, relevant, and still full of chemistry - no matter which pairing you’re talking about. It comments on social issues in a way that’s honest and forthright and real, instead of beating around the bush and feigning ignorance at our world today. Those are realities happening for people, and it’s okay to see it on screen even though it’s not something we face or deal with in our own lives. How many times did that happen when we read a new story?

My hands shot into the air when they decided to flip the script at the end. How many of us wrote and read or were at least intrigued by Slash fiction or Unconventional pairings?

This new show is a fanfiction writer’s dream brought to life!

It may not be the story I would’ve written, but it’s the one another writer decided to tell. I think after 17 years of waiting that should be celebrated! I can’t wait for the next parts of the story to be “posted” and I hope the fans of our Roswell are as open and welcoming to new ideas and other writers as they were to us in our time on this board.

I can’t wait to see what comes next!
<center>

</center>
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Oh my God why do you have to write so beautifully? :cry:

Word. So much word.

RoswellFan68
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by RoswellFan68 »

I started watching the original Roswell as an escape from the real world. If I want politics I will watch one of the numerous political shows. I was lukewarm on the changes. Since they made the changes to Alex and Michael's characters Max and Liz will have to be the focus couple. I also agree where will the comedic relief come from without Michael and Maria as a couple. I didn't think they could make Isabel more of a bitch but they did. I have no sympathy for her. The original Isabel was a bitch was vulnerable. This Isabel is married to a human but Max is not allowed to have a human girlfriend. My daughter and I both thought the Kyle actor was hotter than the guy playing Max. The original Kyle was another element of comic relief. I have a feeling he will be more serious as a doctor. The make out scene between Kyle and Liz was creepy.

My nineteen year old daughter loved the changes. I will most likely continue watching with my daughter but the original will remain my favorite and I will continue to enjoy fan fiction based on the original characters.
Hopeless Romantic
Addicted Roswellian

Isobel in our Roswell was also a bitch in the first episode. Her character development throughout the series showed us her vulnerability. I personally think this isobel had a lot more reason to be angry, since she’s kept a secret from her husband for so long.

These kind of relationship dynamics and issues, those were in our Roswell too. Those were also a part of our reality back then. Didn’t stop me from watching. Parts of reality are inescapable in TV or film. If I wanted to ignore reality completely, I’d watch Fox News.

Aside from that my point is this: It’s the first episode. I don’t read books and stop after the first chapter, or judge it immediately as if I know how it’ll play out. If you do, that’s fine. But I can’t wait to see where they take everything.
<center>

</center>
Hopeless Romantic
Addicted Roswellian

The thing that made me angriest was that the damn door to the pod cave was just a piece of wood. Can we talk about that BS? Sgt. Manes gets a handprint scanner, but we’re just hoping no one wanders aimlessly through the desert and says, “oh this door looks totally normal and not out of place at all!” AMIRIGHT?
Last edited by Hopeless Romantic on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center>

</center>
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Isobel having a human husband doesn't mean Max can't have a human girlfriend. Isobel practically begged him to fall in love with anyone else. But there's a history there - between the Pod Squad (awh!) and Liz that we aren't aware of right now. Also, what they know about Rosa?

Additionally, Isobel is up in arms about Max telling Liz because she obviously wasn't allowed to tell Noah. What makes Max so special that he can break the rules (which was the running antagonism amongst the friends throughout the book series at the television original)? I think she has a right to be upset, honestly.

The creators of this show saw an opportunity to draw parallels between the show's premise and current state affairs...I think they're killing it. Also, good for them.