Revival Series Premiere *spoiler alerts*

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Revival Series Premiere *spoiler alerts*

Post by Raychelxluscious »

Hopeless Romantic wrote:The thing that made me angriest was that the damn door to the pod cave was just a piece of wood. Can we talk about that BS? Sgt. Manes gets a handprint scanner, but we’re just hoping no one wanders aimlessly through the desert and says, “oh this door looks totally normal and not out of place at all!” AMIRIGHT?

BAHAHAHAA. :lol:
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
Hopeless Romantic
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Hopeless Romantic »

Yes! Exactly! I just rewatched that scene between them too, and I think they did a great job showing how scared she was behind the justified anger. You can see it in her eyes. Well done.

Other things I noticed rewatching: it sounds like Liz calls Maria “Ria” when she first sees her. Shout out!

And Max and Liz’s scene with memories is like exactly the emotion I would’ve expected in a fanfiction where Liz didn’t get shot and left after high school and then came back. Pretty sure I read one once. I dug it.

Lots to love in that episode. Lots to see develop over time.
<center>

</center>
RoswellFan68
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by RoswellFan68 »

If I had never watched the original Roswell I probably would have enjoyed this version more. I have a lot invested in the old characters and actors. I found myself comparing the storyline and actors too much to the original. For me the original Roswell will most likely remain my favorite. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just look at the wide selection of fan fictions.
Hopeless Romantic
Addicted Roswellian

RoswellFan68 wrote:I have a lot invested in the old characters and actors. I found myself comparing the storyline and actors too much to the original. For me the original Roswell will most likely remain my favorite.
Oh god. Trust me, hun. We did too. I was distraught after End of the World to the point where I can still remember the yellow bench I cried on in 8th grade and the class I had to leave to go to the nurse’s office to cry some more.

No show is ever going to replace our Roswell for me, because I don’t think I could ever invest as much of myself in a show as I did when I was that age. At my age now, grown with a family, I know I won’t spend countless hours writing fanfiction or stay up all night to read it. I think 17 years from now I’m still going to be talking about our Roswell.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I’m not trying to tell you your opinion is wrong and I have no hopes to change anyone’s. I chimed in initially to point out that this show isn’t our Roswell, and comparing it like it is just sets us up to be disappointed in it. Thinking about it like a fanfiction just makes me happy that I get some piece of the show that I loved so much. I’m offering that perspective and you can ignore it or consider it. Up to you completely.

But seriously... freaking Shiri directed an episode!! How can we not watch that at least??
<center>

</center>
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

We definitely have a lot invested in the old show and characters as well! A version of this board has been around since 1999. It was something called an ezboard and used to be pink. lol. I started reading fanfiction in middle school, and would devour them inbetween each weekly airing of the show. And haituses killed me!

And Hopless Romantic? My favorite story about her is that she had to leave class and go to the nurses office the morning after End of the World aired because she couldn't handle all the feels. :lol:

I've met two of the best friends I've ever had through writing fanfiction for that show and those characters. It got me through a lot of dark periods in my life. And it spawned my love for creative writing.

Trust me, I get where you're coming from in that sense. Some of have literally invested 20 years in this. And the original will always be the favorite and revered version. I'm not saying that's different for me either.

But times change, and this is a reboot and not a reincarnation of the original. We are never going to get a Max and Liz who can hold a candle to Jason and Shiri. Colin Hanks IS Alex Whitman. I'm definitely going to make comparisons, but I'm also not going to throw the towel in because Max didn't say "it was you".

(Okay but seriously: why didn't he say "it was you"? :D )

I just think it's a great adaptation for a present day story-telling of a show we all loved (and book series...we gotta remember that it's based on Roswell High series by Metz and not just Roswell the TV show so a lot is going to be different. Stones of Midnight, anyone?).

And hopefully, it breathes a little life into this old place that has been devestatingly inactive since the good ole days.
Last edited by Raychelxluscious on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hopeless Romantic
Addicted Roswellian

Raychelxluscious wrote:
I've met two of the best friends I've ever had through writing fanfiction for that show and those characters. It got me through a lot of dark periods in my life. And it spawned my love for creative writing.
Word. So much word. You moved from WV to Florida thanks to this show and the friendship it gave us.
Raychelxluscious wrote: Trust me, I get where you're coming from in that sense. Some of have literally invested 20 years in this. And the original will always be the favorite and revered version. I'm not saying that's different for me either.

But times change, and this is a reboot and not a reincarnation of the original. We are never going to get a Max and Liz who can hold a candle to Jason and Shiri. Colin Hanks IS Alex Whiteman. I'm definitely going to make comparisons, but I'm also not going to throw the towel in because Max didn't say "it was you".

(Okay but seriously: why didn't he say "it was you"? :D )
Because we all would’ve said, “our Max said it better.” :lol:

Now they have their hand thing! It’s their “it was you!” Remember?
<center>

</center>
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Hopeless Romantic wrote: Because we all would’ve said, “our Max said it better.” :lol:

Now they have their hand thing! It’s their “it was you!” Remember?
Now they just have to make sure they stick with it. Continuity is important! :lol:

And yes...7 years here in Florida now!

Thank you, Roswell (Not YOU, Katims!)

Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

I watched it yesterday, and while I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet, it did capture my attention enough for me to keep watching until the end (unlike when I attempted to watch the new Charmed and gave up halfway through the Pilot).

I think I would have liked it better if I had never seen the original show (I haven't read the books, so I can't comment on that), but because I have seen it, I think I was comparing the new one with the old one too much (especially with some of the dialogue being the same)... and I kept expecting the original actors to appear in it. What I find frustrating about a lot of US TV shows these days is that you can barely tell the male actors apart - they're all good-looking, muscular and dark-haired - and without major defining characteristics (either personality- or looks-wise), they just kind of blend into one... which is kind of the case for me here (particularly with Kyle and Alex).

I also have an issue with the Alex and Michael relationship... I just don't think it fits their personalities as I know them (plus Michael and Alex will always be Brendan and Colin to me). I can see Alex being gay/bi, but Michael is such a closed-off character in the original, not wanting to make any connections with anyone, that it just doesn't work for me here (of course, we don't know any of Michael's background in the new version yet so maybe it will make more sense later on).

However, I must be a sucker for the Max/Liz romance storyline (how he's been in love with her all these years, and how she liked him too), because I enjoyed that part of the episode :).

There were some 'huh?' moments though, like Max's expression when he healed Liz (someone else said constipated, but what came to my mind was something else ;P), and how he had to touch her chest (the handprint?) to show her his memories... which just looked to me like he was trying to cop a feel :P. Not to mention the pods just sitting there in the cave, out in the open, with only a wooden 'door' to protect them.

Btw, I found out the other day that the actress playing Isobel is Christine Baranski's daughter. And for those who haven't seen it, Kyle was Tyler Lockwood in Vampire Diaries.
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Heavenli24 wrote: I can see Alex being gay/bi, but Michael is such a closed-off character in the original, not wanting to make any connections with anyone, that it just doesn't work for me here (of course, we don't know any of Michael's background in the new version yet so maybe it will make more sense later on).
Oh man, but for me, that's why it was so believable for Michael to be gay or bi. Not wanting to make connections because he was ashamed of his alien-ness, as well as his sexuality. But I get what you're saying here.

As for having to touch the hand print to forge a connection, it's obviously them adding a level of spice that perhaps they were hesitant to attempt with "teenagers". These characters are in their late twenties now, so definitely better for the network to condone near boob-touchage for characters their age versus our OG Max and Liz.

And the reason I have that perspective, is because La Femme Nakita (sp?) was airing on USA at the same time as Roswell. And after seeing the main guy's butt flash across screen, I distinctly remember asking my mom why I didn't get to see Max's butt :lol:

After her inital shock she explained because his character was 16 and that's indecent. "Also, YOURE TWELVE." HAHAHAHA. Oh, memories.

Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Raychelxluscious wrote:Oh man, but for me, that's why it was so believable for Michael to be gay or bi. Not wanting to make connections because he was ashamed of his alien-ness, as well as his sexuality. But I get what you're saying here.
Yeah, I was thinking of it in terms of his argument in the original show, where any connections or doing anything out of the box would draw the wrong kind of attention, so surely, by that logic, him being bi/gay and actively engaging in relationships with men, would actually draw even more attention than just being straight.
As for having to touch the hand print to forge a connection, it's obviously them adding a level of spice that perhaps they were hesitant to attempt with "teenagers". These characters are in their late twenties now, so definitely better for the network to condone near boob-touchage for characters their age versus our OG Max and Liz.
Yeah, makes sense... it just made me laugh when I saw it.. like it was a bad pick-up line:
Max: I have to touch you to show you
Liz: Okay.
Max: [fondles her boob in broad daylight]
And the reason I have that perspective, is because La Femme Nakita (sp?) was airing on USA at the same time as Roswell. And after seeing the main guy's butt flash across screen, I distinctly remember asking my mom why I didn't get to see Max's butt :lol:

After her inital shock she explained because his character was 16 and that's indecent. "Also, YOURE TWELVE." HAHAHAHA. Oh, memories.
Lol - fair enough. I was 16 when the OG show started, and knowing it was a WB teen show, I wasn't expecting anything untoward to happen in it :P.