What does Roswell mean for you?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

dreamer19

What does Roswell mean for you?

Post by dreamer19 »

This has been on my mind for so long. For so long, I thought it was just the dreamer relationship, the chemistry of the characters, a distraction from reality...

I talked about this a little bit in a depression thread I started many months ago, but it was in outside Roswell/real life forum. I think I said Roswell saved my life. And it's true...

When I firsted started watching Roswell that very first episode. The scene of Liz writing in her journal about how she died five days ago and the whole beginning starts up with the shooting. I was enamoured. When the show ended, I was looking for something to fill the void and by chance I discovered fanfiction. This was the last site I found. I came here everyday for six months, before and after classes.

I wanted to become as much apart of the world of Roswell as I could. It just seemed to make the impossible seem attainable. I saw myself in Liz. I felt like an outsider, as I'm sure many others have who have always adored the show.

When I try to talk to people about the show, they never get it. The world they created just felt so real. I felt so betrayed when Max slept with Tess. I cried so bad. It makes me physically ill to watch it. That's probably pretty extreme, but I'm not that obsessed anymore. I've tried to walk away from fandom, but it pulls me right back in. There will always be another story, another take on Roswell on how things should have been...

Why do we all keep coming back?

Maybe I just found a place to belong and like in the movie The Neverending Story where they don't even know the boy has been with the characters all along. We were always there with the characters of Roswell, we became apart of their world.

The characters are just so real and believable for me. It doesn't matter how many fanfictions I read, I can still pinpoint Max, Liz, Tess, Alex, Kyle, The Sheriff, Isabel, especially Michael and Maria :lol: . You can change the settings, relationships, plot or whatever, but the core of what we all fell in love with still exists in each story.

I'd really like to if anyone shares my sentiments or if I just made a total dork out of myself. :mrgreen:
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: What does Roswell mean for you?

Post by jake17 »

Dreamer19 you are not alone..

I discovered Roswell while switching the channels and catching a marathon on the scifi station..which I never ever watch. It happened to be the moment in the pilot when Liz gets shot and Max runs to heal her.

I don't care how this sounds. Nothing has ever hit me so hard in my life. At that moment I was floored..gone.... completely in love. I have never been the same since. The love story between Max and Liz totally captured my heart and took me to a place that I never wanted to leave.

I also tried to share my feelings for Roswell with other people and have seen them smiling at me while their eyes glaze over...clearly not getting it. When I found this site I knew I wasn't crazy.

I also felt physically ill when Max slept with Tess ...(although I was a little distracted by Jason's body.. :wink: ) Sorry! :shock: ...It just goes to show you how much that incredible love touched us.

I think we are the lucky ones. The fact that we can see the magic in those characters ...in that strange wonderful world...in that innocent sweet indescribable love. I still watch those scenes between Liz and Max and get completely swept away. I love how we all can't let it go...that we rewrite the history ...make it our own.

Don't worry dreamer19 you are not a dork ...we are all right there with you! :wink: :D

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

Hamlet, by William Shakespeare
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ken_r »

As an old man I saw students I had seen so many times in class. I was in deep depression when i first saw Roswell. I had been retired for several year after teaching for 30 years. At the time I didn't want to see any teenagers. My son had just been killed in a car accident. The magic of seeing characters so much like my former students just kept me coming back. I admit that the Liz Parker character attracted me the most. When i was teaching we were trying to get girls to come out from behind the forrest. When I was in college women were terribly discriminated against. When dating I wanted so much to find bright women to be with. As a teacher I spent a lot of time helping young women to get ahead in math and scientist.

As a teacher i also learned to see greatness in students who were not not academically gifted. I started to watch the show. I saw the flighty Maria rise to greatness, when things were in panic. I saw Isabel the cold one help when Liz lost her grandmother. These were things i always looked for in my years of teaching. No matter how crappy the writers the story line still reflected much of life i knew as a teacher. Minus the aliens, of course. but then there was that strange kid back in the 70s

ken r
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Janetfl »

I don't think you are a dork dreamer19!!!!

I was a bored housewife, with no transportation, so was constantly stuck in the house. I never saw Roswell when it first came out. I was sitting getting depressed one Saturday morning when I just happened to turn over to E4 and saw the ending to The Balance.

So I decided to watch the next episode the following week and was completely hooked to the point were I searched on the internet for the programmes so I didn't have to wait for them to come on T.V. After a week I went out and bought the 3 season DVD box set and spent all day (except for looking after the kids) watching them over and over again. I was just completely hooked ... my partner couldn't understand why.

I then went on the internet and found this site which again got me addicted. I spent 6 mths every day reading all of the stories in the complete CC section and then decided to come out and write my own. I always wanted to be a writer but this site actually encouraged me to do it.

I LOVE THIS SHOW and I don't care what people think about how addicted I am to it. They won't understand unless they watch it!!! I was disgusted when Max slept with Tess!!! It made my stomach churn as well. I think we all loved the romance between Max and Liz and the fact that they were soulmates. God how we all wish we could find that kind of love, but unless you are extremely lucky, it doesn't exist!! I think that's why the show draws you in so much and why we all had the same reaction to Max sleeping with Tess. It's as if it was happening to us!!!!

Anyway I think the whole dynamics of the show was pure genius with the pairings but unfortunately the powers that be decided to mess with the magic and spoil it!!!! I think it would have lasted longer if it stuck to the original format and added a little of the sci-fi.

Anyway enough rambling!!! I just love everything that is Roswell!!!

JAN
Last edited by Janetfl on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!
Natalie36
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Natalie36 »

Its something that brings pleasure I was so sad when it was over and have not since found another show that holds the candle to my heart as roswell. even as the actors to on to do other things i really can see that i do not see the chemistry that i saw on that show with all of them together. i wonder if they all did another show together if it would peak my interest.
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

I remember seing my first Roswell ep in las-Vegas... was in hollydays
throught the USA and just checked what's was going on on TV!
Found JB (Dawson Creek!)and Roswell and it was done: I was addicted!
Back home, six months after my hollydays, Roswell was transmitted and I was so happy!.... In the same time I found fanfic with the Crasdown site and then the first site Roswell fanatics which was with a mond on the first page: the name I don't remember....
Then I had to go through a painful divorce and I wouldn't have gone through so easily without my aliens..... helped my forget all my misery!
Even if my kids now laugh at me about it, I let them laugh and continue to be enjoying it!

EVE :wink: :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
Hunter
Forum Moderator

Post by Hunter »

Wow, I just found this.

Thank god this thread was made.

Okay, for me Roswell was my motivation. I loved reading and writing from a very young age. When I started secondary school (High school for Americans). I would read and write so much but I never had the courage to show anyone my work.

I was interested in stories where there was a group of friends who worked together, go on adventures and so on and so forth...I was in the library of my school. I think I was almost fourteen at the time in year 8 and I saw this Roswell book right in front of me. It was the first book by Melinda Metz and had picture of Liz, Max, Maria, Micheal and Isabel on it.

And I remember thinking how good looking Jason Behr was lol :oops: :lol: . So I borrowed the book from the library and took it home. I read it in one go, loved it and remembered there was a show called Roswell that used to come on Sky One.

So I did some research and ended up with the Crashdown site. Read some fics..I remembered the fic "A new breed"..

Then I started writing my own roswell fics but they stayed on my computer. Half finished. I started when I was 14 yrs old lol. I found another fic, Blue Lagoon (What an amazing fic) and then stopped writing.

I left for some time and then Roswell came on TV around 2 and a half yrs later and I just got interested again. Plus, I was so happy I was able to see Roswell!

I was inspired to write again and somehow I found this website, I think I googled it and I've been reading ppl's fics for a long time and I got my friend and sister into this show for a while.

They actually did make me post the fic lol.

And I've met some very kind ppl here. I never imagined I would be so happy. But I've made friends and I am so happy with such lovely fb I get for my fics.

Lol, it's been one heck of a journey.

So for me Roswell means motivation. Roswell helped me to realise that writing is what I enjoy doing the most and that I could get inspired by anything around me. Everytime I watched an episode of Roswell, I just wanted to write the next episode myself..esp when Max and Liz were apart.

I might have never started writing again and I love writing so much.
Michelle17
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Michelle17 »

Dreamer 19,

You are not alone at.

I love the show and saw it when it first came on. I was in high school when it first camue in 1999 and it is saved me. I got really depress while I was in high school. I love the relationships of all the characters. My favorite coulpes were Max and Liz and Michael and Maria. I love the relationship between the four them for different reasons.

Max and Liz

They had this great love for each other and would do anything for each other. I love that they trusted each with all they had. I need to belive in love.

Michael and Maria

I love their fight and drive.

It made really sad when they endend the show because the were just getting really good. I love to see the war.

It was a life saver for me.

Special thanks too

claudialynn
dreamer19

Post by dreamer19 »

Thanks Michelle17. I'm glad to know you feel the same way and thanks to everyone else who has shared their stories, it means a lot to know how you were affected. :D
sablaine
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by sablaine »

I seem to be the lone polarist here - lol - but I started out as a dream, if that helps. :)

Roswell was life changing for me too. I was very depressed at the time and it was the one thing that made me really happy, the one place I could really be myself and let go and have fun and be with nice, nice people. It was also the reason why I began writing again and where I learned to write really well. (Never would have happened without Roswell.)

I'm still addicted to Roswell (much to my husband's chagrin). I have no friends that understand my feelings on the show. But for me this show is larger than life, with the same type of cultish following that Star Trek has. Plus we have the best fanfiction writers of any television genre that I've seen to date. (We are amazing.)

I'm glad RF is still around for us. I'm glad there are so many people her that, like me, are still hopelessly in love with the show and its characters. I'm glad there is a forum where writers and readers can come together to encourage one another. This is a really special place, maybe even more special than the show itself (if that's possible).
Polar Attraction ~ Experience true love for the first time