Jason Behr (Max Evans) News

Come here to find out all the latest about your favorite actors...

Moderators: Anniepoo98, AvengingAngelIQ, singerchic4, Forum Moderators

behrlyliz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrlyliz »

maya wrote:
Aurorabee wrote:I get Google Alerts for all mentions of Jason Behr and the reviews I've read have been really awful. I'm not surprised, really, but it's still disappointing to see him skewered.

I think he was amazing as Max -- the actors on this show made the characters resonate deeply, IMO, and struck such a chord with me that I'm still reading fan fiction now, how many years later? I wish he would take/get roles in films that receive more positive accolades, because I think he's terrific and I want other people to think so too!
I agree. I want others to love him too! It's to bad because he has done a great job in the indie films he has been in but most of the population will never get to see them. :(
Me, too! He's an amazing actor and he rocked as Max. It was Jason and Shiri's performances as Max and Liz that got me hooked on the show. Anyway about the reviews, it's a good thing I don't listen to them and will make up my own mind by going to see the movie.
Team Framing Hanley
My Fics~My Challenges~My Space
Aurorabee
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Aurorabee »

behrlyliz wrote:Anyway about the reviews, it's a good thing I don't listen to them and will make up my own mind by going to see the movie.
Absolutely! Critics are just people who get paid to share their opinion. That doesn't make their opinion any more valid than anyone else's. And I say this as someone who used to get paid to write movie & television reviews, not just out of bitterness over these bad reviews. :-) There are actors I can't stand to watch who are considered genius by other people. To each her own, I say.

And I wish JB were mine. Heh. :-)
maya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by maya »

I saw it tonight. There were only 5 other people in the theatre other than hubby and me....guess those reviews got to them.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was spectacular, there was quite a bit of bad dialogue, but it kept me interested and I liked the lighting and setting, it had a very native american feel to it.
:D :D
Maya
JBehr'sChica
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by JBehr'sChica »

What's the saying?

Those who can't... critic?

As far as I'm aware, Skinwalkers won't be showing here in Australia. At the most, I think we can probably hope for it on DVD, but that's not guranteed.

For an actor, I can only assume how annoying and frustrating it must be to hear of these bad reviews of your acting ability. I know that some actors refuse to read any reviews of their work, but as a Publicist, I know that they would read them all. You just can't make everyone happy. :(

Whether the storyline is great or not, can't go wrong with a couple of hours of Jason Behr on the screen! :P :twisted:

Taya
Many thanks to DreamerLaure for banner!

"Lighten up a little bit. It's only the end of the world."
FSU/MSW-94
Forum Moderator

Post by FSU/MSW-94 »

maya wrote:I saw it tonight. There were only 5 other people in the theatre other than hubby and me....guess those reviews got to them.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was spectacular, there was quite a bit of bad dialogue, but it kept me interested and I liked the lighting and setting, it had a very native american feel to it.
:D :D
Maya

:( Not a great sign :( I saw it at the first showing Friday at 12:10pm, and there were only 2 people there! Me and some other man :o I was seriously hoping it was only b/c I went so early, but if you went at Night and still only 5 people there, that is a really bad sign :(

I agree with your assessment Maya, I didn't think the movie was horrible, I tend to disagree with most critics anyway, b/c I tend to like what they don't most of the time :wink:

On the bright side, they did show the Trailor for D-Wars, Jason's other movie and it said it's coming out 9/14/07 :D
La'Shon

Round 9 & Round 11
Natz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Natz »

***Cointains Spoilers***

A Review on D-War

2/10 Movie: D-War (2007)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/jour ... iew=public

D-War is the latest CGI movie to come from former Korean gag-man turned director, Hyung-rae Shim. It's basically a classic monster movie with a little more legend and fantasy added. The movie has the distinction of being a Korean movie filmed mostly in English with American actors. It was released in South Korea on August 1st and is already breaking box office records. The Host, the Korean monster movie released last year currently holds the honor of highest grossing Korean film in Korea.

I came into the movie expecting to find some of the humor and quirkiness that made The Host and other Korean films unique. Instead the movie would have been beton HBO on a Saturday afternoon in the 1980s.

First off, there are some good parts. The scenes in Choson dynasty Korea are mesmerizing and colorful. It gives Korea a portrayal usually reserved for fantasy films based in China and Japan. The Imoogi legend, where a serpent is granted the privilege to be a celestial dragon once every 500 years, gave the film some scope and depth. The battle scenes in Los Angeles were exciting, with flying fire breathing lizards fighting helicopters and lumbering beasts with rocket launchers marching through the streets with their Lord of the Rings armor-clad knights. Unlike films like Transformers, the camera doesn't cut so much that it disorients the audience during the battle scenes. They're easy to follow. And finally, the Korean dragon at the end looked great. I can't think of any other movie that tries to realistically portray an Asian style dragon, other than maybe a glimpse in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. If the movie had more of that dragon, it would have saved a good bit of it.

The rest of D-War was disappointing and confusing. It missed a lot of opportunities for humor, character development, and bringing sweep and meaning to the story. The plot and dialogue themselves seemed to be ordered piece by piece from G-Market. Every person and scene and plot twist has been seen so many times before--only this time with dragons. Even suspending all disbelief so far that it can only be viewed through the Hubble telescope with an attitude to have mindless fun will not make the movie any more enjoyable. I actually started falling asleep and studying my fingernails during parts. The bad acting was forgivable, from the Keaunu-clone main character to the villain, who looked like he worked as a box salesman when not dressed in Darth Sauron armor. They did the best they could with the clunky lines they had to work with. The casting and character archetypes were drawn from Korean stereotypes of Westerners that are regularly portrayed on TV. The FBI guy has to look and talk like Robert Stack. The token black character is there for mild humor because he talks funny. And I could have sworn that I have seen the exact same actors who played the American soldiers play American soldiers in every Korean movie that has American soldiers.

The plot itself is a little hard to follow. On the surface, it's simple. There's a woman born every 500 years who can turn a giant serpent, good or evil, into a celestial dragon on her twentieth birthday. There's an ancient Korean wizard and a young man he trained there to protect her. There is a great seige against a Korean walled town that looks so ripped off of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, that I expected Jar Jar Binks to run onto the battlefield, clumsily knocking over droids. In the legend, the young man and the chosen woman fall in love and dive to their deaths over a cliff to avoid the "bad" serpent from catching her.

Five hundred years later, the couple are reborn as Americans in Los Angeles. They don't know each other. Yet the girl, Sarah (Amanda Brooks), has a birthmark on her shoulder in the shape of a dragon, just as she had in her previous life. Ethan (Jason Behr), the reincarnation of her protector, discovers a magic box in an antique shop. The proprietor, Jack (Robert Forster), who was really the wizard from Korea, tells him he has been waiting for him for five hundred years.

And that's really it. He doesn't train him to protect the girl, like he did in the previous life. They just meet each other. Jack gives Ethan some amulet to wear around his neck, and they part ways. When Ethan, grown up as a famous news reporter for a CNN type of news network (copied all the way down to the style of the logo) he comes across a police crime investigation over a crater with a dragon scale in it. The scale reminds him of his meeting with Jack as a kid (don't know why), and we are launched into maybe thirty minutes of long-winded exposition from Jack--who isn't that good of a storyteller.

Suddenly Jack and his cameraman Bruce (Craig Robinson, who gives the best performance in the movie) search through databases to find a nineteen-year-old girl named Sarah who has a dragon tattoo on her left shoulder. Bruce gave the "Are you out of your mind" comment that the audience was feeling. I don't remember how Jack knew the girl's name was Sarah. It's one of those many details that was either glossed over or completely ignored.

This evil elephant-eating (the biggest attempt at flat humor in the movie) ancient serpent somehow is combing Los Angeles, undetected, looking for Sarah. Sarah's best friend, Brandy (Aimee Garcia), plays the role of disposable best friend, who dies from mistaken identity faster than Sarah Connor's roommate in the first Terminator.

Sarah's in the hospital because she felt some freaky thing in her heart. For some reason, they lock her in her hospital room and say that she's quarantined, as if she has a deadly virus. This is an obvious cover up. Nonetheless, when the news reporter Ethan shows up, the doctor says, "I like your work," and lets him in.

What?

Sarah and Ethan escape together, and the chase starts. The evil giant serpent finds them wherever they go, smashing its head into buildings. Whenever it gets close enough to bite them, it just stands there and screams, giving them time to find an escape. Eventually the military shows up (in unmarked yellow tanks), and the battle begins.

In the meantime, this evil dark general (Michael Shamus Wiles) revives the evil serpent's followers, an army of knights and creatures, that march into downtown Los Angeles. The battle begins. Things happen predictably. The FBI somehow knew all about Sarah and Korean dragon legends through its paranormal unit--a big plot point that is just casually mentioned by the head FBI investigator before his partner formulaically shoots him to protect Sarah.

That's one of the most frustrating things about the movie. Everyone suddenly goes from knowing nothing about what's going on to knowing everything about Korean legends. Ethan, even though he seems to have no connection to Korean culture, is able to spout off Korean proverbs while driving. The movie would have worked a lot better if there was more connection between the present and the Korean legend in the past--like if they had to go to Korea to defeat the serpent or something.

Instead it just plays like a bad B-movie that could only be made watchable with the MST3K robots making fun of it. Even the humor--coming from a former comedian writer-director--was lame and repeated. The most oft repeated joke was someone being aloof to the fact that a giant serpent was snaking outside their window. Even during the big battle with explosions and the military blocking off the streets there were scenes of people just going about their daily business, looking up, and suddenly noticing that there were flying lizards and a mile-long snake creeping up their office tower. Yet there's none of that unique Korean humor that peppers classic Korean movies such as Please, Teach Me English, Sassy Girl, and even The Host and Old Boy.

The disappointment over this movie turns into frustration when the Korean media portrays this as the big blockbuster film that will get the rest of the world to recognize Korean film as on par with American film. It takes itself way too seriously while blatantly ripping off every movie cliche that is out there. Even Michael Bay had the brains to realize Transformers wasn't Academy material and played with the fact that the premise itself was hokey. D-War does not even have any subtlety or irony on its subject matter. It actually believes it's a serious film. I'm sure that it will win awards in Korea while wondering why it won't win any Oscars in America, even though there are barely any Koreans mentioned in the credits on the IMDB. There's even a scrolling message from Hyung-rae Shim to his Korean audience at the end of the film, talking about the process and love of making D-War, with masturbatory black-and-white photos of himself making the movie and finally standing in front of the Hollywood sign.

At that point, I was embarrassed and even angry that the film is working to pump up South Koreans' pride only to have it dashed when this film gets laughed out of the theaters overseas.

:shock:
sweetbrowneyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sweetbrowneyes »

Hey everyone! Skinwalkers debuted at #18. Not bad, at least to me it’s not. Lol Jason’s in the top 20!! Whoohoo!!

Yahoo Movies

Tiffany :D
Be at Peace MJ
touched by an alien
Addicted Roswellian

Post by touched by an alien »

maya wrote
Exactly

Okay but you have to admit that the man candy of jason behr's bod was well worth the $4. 99. I'm sorry but I had to admit that every scene that jason was in, I had this big goofy smile on my face. I actually got embaressed because my friend looked like I'd grown a second head when I was grinning like an idiot during a semi- gory scene. :oops:

And by the time the movie finally ended I looked around, and the whole theater was full of what? Yep you guessed it.

Females.

Lol.

Love it all the same though :D
Life is an occasion... rise to it.
Natz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Natz »

Jason Behr Talks Skinwalkers, Roswell Rumors, D War and more with EclipseMagazine.com's Michelle Alexandria!
Submitted by Michelle Alexandria on Mon, 2007-08-06

Every time I get into one of those, I'm tired of running EM and want to shut everything down moods, I'm reminded of why this is a cool gig. For instance last week I was on the set of Numbers and got a chance to watch the great Tony Scott work, then the next day I'm at Comic-Con sitting in a room with the cast of Heroes and The Bionic Woman, then this week I get a chance to sit down with Jason Behr of Roswell fame. I used to be obsessed with that show so to get a chance to sit down and have a chat with Jason was a unique experience. And hey, it even occurred on my birthday, how ironic was that? Jason's doing the rounds for his latest flick, the Werewolf film Skinwalkers and we talked about that film, his upcoming D War project and of course Roswell.

He was in an exceedingly good mood, when he walked in he joked, "The big bad wolf has arrived." For all you Jason fan girls, there's a graphic sex scene in the film where we get a nice shot of Jason's naked ass.

I gotta ask, was that all you?

All me, all wolf, all day, all night, stunts, guns, motorcycles. I would do it all again, I had the time of my life.

What was it about this that excited you so much? Stan [Winston] was telling us how much you really loved this.

If you are going to do a Werewolf movie, I can't think of anyone else you would want to do it with. He's a legend, a genius and he's always wanted to do a werewolf movie since he was a little kid. It's why he got into the business. So that attention to detail and passion to everything that he does made us want to be even better. With that said, I'm doing things that I've never been able to do before in my life. Like shoot guns and ride motorcycles and do all of these stunts. It was the time of my life as an actor.

Filmmaking is a serious business, but I get the sense that you didn't take it too seriously.

You can't take yourself in life too seriously. But what was really great about this project is you get to play everything full out. It's like when you are a kid in school and you get to play at the playground. You were given permission because it's this genre film and it's a fantasy, so you are able to be free.

How do you walk that fine line between having fun and camp?

That is the line you have to toe. You have to have a sense of humor about some of it. We relied on our director to reign us back in if we got to over the top.

How was it working with all of that makeup?

It was a challenge because Stan had created a great Wolf suit to wear. It allowed you to complete freedom to move able physically. But once you put those glove on, those teeth, and eyes end, you do have permission to become as primal and instinctive as you can. That said it's incredibly hard to see what you are doing.

We had a world class stunt team. Some of the most challenging things was doing all the wire work and trusting your acting partner to know what they are doing when you only see a limited area.

What did you have to cut out to get a PG-13?

I don't really know what was cut out to get the PG-13, that's really a question for Stan.

How did you get a PG-13 with that scene [As previously hinted at, there's a pretty
Raw sex scene in the film]?

I don't know, isn't it amazing? I don't really understand the ratings board.

[I couldn't help but interrupt] Of course you know what scene I'm talking about?

The one where I'm shooting the guns right? The one where we're eating breakfast? I don't know exactly what goes into whether something gets a PG-13 or R, I know there's a certain number of *beep* *beep* and ass you can say before you get an R.

That was pretty graphic….

It was supposed to be very primal, very raw, very free…

How did you prepare for the film? I read somewhere that you were hanging with wolves at the zoo or something.

I was definitely a man running with wolves. I started off by watching documentaries. Then I went to the Toronto Zoo to see what they were like. That really polarized how I felt - seeing these creatures being wild and free and just being a wolf, and watching that pack dynamic. When you see them in a Zoo, you see that their nature was compressed and not free. I could almost see in front of me the how it wasn't in their nature to be cage.

I have to say, I used to be obsessed with Roswell. Can you please tell us what worked with that show, why did it fall apart, and would you ever consider doing a reunion?

I think what worked was taking something like the idea of life beyond ours on this planet and metaphorically speaking showing the discoveries that we have as in adolescence. It humanized that feeling of being alienated and like no one can understand you. It took things like the first kiss and made it metaphorical.

Would I do another…absolutely! I've heard rumors about it, but I've never seen a script and until that happens I couldn't say yeah or nay. I've had a wonderful time with that experience and learned so much.

Do you still keep in touch with Katherine Heigl? [Ed note - Jason and Katherine were a couple during the filming of Roswell]

You know I've seen everyone out and about now and then. But everyone is so busy that it's hard to keep in touch like you might want to.

Were you filming over Halloween?

Yeah, we were, and we so badly wanted to go out and show up on someone's door and say "Trick or Treat? Give me a can of beer." Stan had created such a real lifelike werewolf that we thought we would be shot at or cause a panic in downtown Toronto.

How long were you in make up for?

I don't really know, I think it was 4 or 5 hrs. It started off long, but as the days progress it got shorter and shorter. It really didn't matter to me, because I felt like as it was happening I was going through my own transformation. And I had Stan Winston working on me, as an I actor I was just like wow.

What else are you working on?

I did a movie called Senseless based on the Novel about a businessman in Europe who is taken hostage. His entire captivity is held online. They are systematically taking away his senses as a way to make money and for entertainment. I did D-War which is coming out next month, and I did a film called the The Tattooist about this world traveling Tattoo article about someone who gets involved with ghosts and Frost an Independent character driven film.

What sort of projects attract?

I like to keep things that are interesting to myself I'm drawn to story driven pieces, whether it's a big budget or little indie piece. If the story is there, so will I.

Would you prefer the Big Budget or the Character?

I've had great experiences with both. I'm not afraid to get in there and role up my sleeve and do it.

Could you talk a little about D-War.

I play a character name Ethan Kendrick who is a television reporter. He's told at a young age that his destiny, fate, is somehow related to this ancient Korean legend. There is a warrior or hero in Ethan somewhere.

How do you like being out in the Wild, having to find projects instead of the steadiness of Television?

I really like do prefer taking 3 months to really immerse myself in a Character or Story and playing full out, then washing my hands of it to move on to the next thing.

So Comic Con happened and they did a little push. Did you go down there for that?

Oh yeah, I was there for both movies. It was a great experience. It was the first time that I got to walk on the floor to see all the crazy booths and all the stuff that they have.

What is it like watching the show floor as a celebrity?

It was really cool, everyone was very complimentary and respectful.

No strange moments?

You'd think, but no, none at all.

Did you keep anything from Skinwalkers?

I kept all of my teeth. Every stage, they are real, I could take a chunk out of someone with them.
Natasha bit me in the lip once.

Was this during the PG-13 Sex Scene?

As far as I know.
Dreamer 4 Ever
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Dreamer 4 Ever »

The Tattooist official website has 2 new clips up and PREMIERE NEWS!!!

TATTOOIST PREMIERE
The Tattooist to premiere August 29
Peter Burger’s debut feature film The Tattooist has its New Zealand premiere on Wednesday August 29th at the Queen Street SkyCity cinemas.

The star of the film, Jason Behr, will attend the premiere, as will co-stars Mia Blake, Caroline Cheong, Robbie Magasiva, David Fane, the director, Peter Burger, and producer Robin Scholes. The organizers are expecting many Asian film industry representatives to attend, because of the opening of the Waitakere Studios on the same day.

The film will open on Thursday August 30th, the day after the premiere in New Zealand cinemas.