Canon discussion : discuss the show

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Canon discussion : discuss the show

Post by nibbles2 »

the really frustrating thing is that they showed flashes of brilliance - IMAA. They just channeled it in the wrong way. Too much focus on a relationship that nobody cared about, Isabel and Jesse and pretty much ignoring all plot and character development from the previous two seasons.
spacegirl23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by spacegirl23 »

Season 3 pretty much sucked, and not just because the utter lack of Candy scenes. Liz wasn't too likeable in Season 3, and Isabel just got too much air time with sucky plots. I love Liz, I just wish they depicted her as less clingy with Max in S3. And I adore Isabel too, but I didn't really like her angle, and I liked Jesse as a character, but not as Isabel's husband. And after all their trying with the I+J angle, they had to end the series with Isabel alone. It's just weird and wrong.

Ooh, and as for the Candy part, the finale did not do them justice. It was too rushed and unnatural. I don't remember if they had significant scenes in the two eps before the finale, and then in the finale they're back together. I mean, M+M, you could do so much with that. I don't know why they thought 'less is more'. :roll:
Sundae
Addicted Roswellian

Re:

Post by Sundae »

xmag wrote: But it's true that Maria was rather street smart. She was good at that investigation stuff, whether with the FBI agent, when she was looking for clues about the evil uncle Bobby and aunt Meredith, or when she was investigating Grandpa Dupree's will. Hell, she even sneaked around Laurie's house without being caught and found out that Bobby and Meredith were paying the Pine crest Institute to keep Laurie insane, there.

Not bad. Of course, Michael isn't as good but he never hesitates to claim Maria's ideas and successes for himself :lol: .
One of my favorite and cutest scene's with this was when Michael and Maria were in the library investigating Bobby and Meredith and Maria tells Michael "to get ready to clap."

And Michael does it while looking so bored...but I remember watching that and thinking wow, Michael would never clap for anybody else, even if it meant in joking manner...he wouldn't bother with it. But he does for Maria. :lol:
Sundae
Addicted Roswellian

Re:

Post by Sundae »

xmag wrote:Yes, Liz must have convinced Maria that the aliens really needed them and that they were nice. Which wasn't an easy task, when you consider how Michael and Isabel were, in the beginning. Quite scary, the both of them.
I think Maria may have been freaked out at first...but I honestly don't think Liz would have had to do much convincing. Secretly, Maria has always had a crush on Michael I think...remember the episode when Isabel dream-walks Maria and in doing so she see's Michael dressed in a tux? She was freaked out by Isabel just as much as she seemed to be freaked out by Michael...yet it was Michael who was the tux...but of course he did turn into a giant tentacle headed alien too. :lol:
Sundae
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sundae »

xmag wrote:The show was cancelled in such a chaotic way, in season 3 (first it had 22 episodes, then 18, then it changed again, then 18 again, it was a real mess), that even the writers were completly out of touch with what was needed. And it's true that Michael and Maria got, what's the word? Shafted? I don't know, they were kind of forgotten until the last episode. It was like the writers knew that they were going to end up together but with all the stuff going on behind the screen, they missed the opportunity to slide some M&M scenes in the few episodes left, so the candy reunion was rushed.
That along with the changing of networks from the WB to UPN...it was such a slap in the face. And the main reason why was because the network wanted the show to be more like Buffy...to have more of a sci-fi them, but Katim's himself said that it was mean tot be more of a realtionship, character dynamic storyline than anything else. But so many of us were hooked to the show because of the CHARACTERS and their relationships. The back-plot alien storyline was just such a great bonus...and suddenly focusing on more sci-fi (even though that was great) took away what we loved the most...our characters.
Cocogurl wrote:I agree. It was actually one of the many things that I think writers messed up on. There were a lot of things forgotten about from season 2 that they should've talked about, and stuff they should've built on. I mean throughout the whole series, they had a lot great plotlines that they just killed before it had a chance to get going. But I think they just didn't know how to balance sci-fi with all of the personal relationships.
I think they did that because they were trying to go back what they had in season 1...which was more focused on running from the FBI and character relationships...and it didn't quite work out. Season 2 was so heavily sci-fi that they forgot the realtionship dynamics. We were left with a huge long summer and almost half of the episodes with Michael and Maria broken up...as well as Liz and Max broken up (all season). Then season 3 came along and suddenly the skins, the dupes, everything was forgotten and it went back to a "normal" aspect to say the least. Humans after aliens...with the whole metachem and graduation fisaco.