Canon discussion : discuss the show

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

OliveMcKay
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Canon discussion : discuss the show

Post by OliveMcKay »

Hi everyone! My name's Olive and I'm a big Michael and Maria fan! I always liked them on the show but I forgot about the show for a few years until lately when I started reading some fics and got back into it. I think Michael and Maria are perfect for eachother because they were the only couple in the show that wasn't interrupted by someone else. They were always meant to be together that's why no matter what they couldn't stay apart from eachother.
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

Well, I always feared what would have happened, had Courtney lived. Maybe we were lucky that she died. Although had she lived and had Michael slept with her, he wouldn't be that loved on this board for pulling a Max.

Still, I think that even if that had happened, Maria and Michael would have found their way back to each other. Maria might think that she couldn't forgive that, she loved Michael too much.

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

I can see Michael pursuing something with Courtney to get more information but I'm not sure that he would have slept with her. But I agree that he and Maria would have found a way back to each other regardless.
it's better to rise than fade away.
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

The only good thing, if Michael had slept with Courtney, would be that Michael wouldn't be that used in UC fics :lol: . He would be the new Max, for some fans.

But if he had slept with Courtney, in the show, then I hope that before that, he would have broken up with Maria. Because when you're free, you can do whatever you want. But when you're in a relationship, you don't sleep with someone else, period.

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

xmag wrote:The only good thing, if Michael had slept with Courtney, would be that Michael wouldn't be that used in UC fics :lol: . He would be the new Max, for some fans.
LOL! Maybe, or perhaps there would be more Mi/C shippers. I can't say that I care for the later scenario. :lol:

I really wish that we'd had at least two or three more episodes before the end of the series, because it was patently obvious that the writers were working their way back towards getting Michael and Maria back together (why would Maria bother taking Michael to Madame Vivian if that weren't the case?). Yes, of course Maria left to be with Michael, without a doubt but it would have been nice to get some proper scenes where they hash out their issues once and for all. I guess that's what we have fanfic for though.
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

The show was cancelled in such a chaotic way, in season 3 (first it had 22 episodes, then 18, then it changed again, then 18 again, it was a real mess), that even the writers were completly out of touch with what was needed. And it's true that Michael and Maria got, what's the word? Shafted? I don't know, they were kind of forgotten until the last episode. It was like the writers knew that they were going to end up together but with all the stuff going on behind the screen, they missed the opportunity to slide some M&M scenes in the few episodes left, so the candy reunion was rushed.

It was always supposed to end up M&M (Metz and Burns would agree with me, here, no doubt and they would have sued Katims if he hadn't put those two together in the end), but the writers just... didn't find the right storyline for them in season 3.

Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Cocogurl »

xmag wrote:The show was cancelled in such a chaotic way, in season 3 (first it had 22 episodes, then 18, then it changed again, then 18 again, it was a real mess), that even the writers were completly out of touch with what was needed. And it's true that Michael and Maria got, what's the word? Shafted? I don't know, they were kind of forgotten until the last episode. It was like the writers knew that they were going to end up together but with all the stuff going on behind the screen, they missed the opportunity to slide some M&M scenes in the few episodes left, so the candy reunion was rushed.

It was always supposed to end up M&M (Metz and Burns would agree with me, here, no doubt and they would have sued Katims if he hadn't put those two together in the end), but the writers just... didn't find the right storyline for them in season 3.
I agree. It was actually one of the many things that I think writers messed up on. There were a lot of things forgotten about from season 2 that they should've talked about, and stuff they should've built on. I mean throughout the whole series, they had a lot great plotlines that they just killed before it had a chance to get going. But I think they just didn't know how to balance sci-fi with all of the personal relationships.
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

I think that what was happening behind the screen, between the producers and the network, screwed up Roswell. The balance wasn't found because there was a fight off screen. And it generally ends badly, with an unbalanced show, like with Sliders, or Earth Final Conflict. It's too bad that it happened to Roswell.

spacegirl23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by spacegirl23 »

xmag wrote:It was always supposed to end up M&M (Metz and Burns would agree with me, here, no doubt and they would have sued Katims if he hadn't put those two together in the end), but the writers just... didn't find the right storyline for them in season 3.
I read somewhere that the writers broke up M&M as an inside joke to Brendan & Majandra's break up. :roll: I'm disappointed that they couldn't think of a way to put back those two together in a way that seemed naturally Candy.
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

Let's face it, the season 3 Roswell writers were a bunch of incompetent morons. :roll: