Candy fics that you must read - discussion

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Candy fics that you must read - discussion

Post by xmag »

Hi, as you know, there are hundreds and hundreds of candy fics out there (maybe 1 000), so which one do you consider as the "must read". Why ? And maybe we could discuss them. Short fics, long fics, whatever.

I think I will start with "Mysteries", by Anla. It's one of those long, long, long fics (there must be at least 1500 pages by now, spread over three separate fics "Mysteries, Shattered, Amends").

The reason why this fic sticks with me is because it's the one where Michael's past as Rath is the most explored. I like how Anla caught some weird things, on the show, about how Michael might be a differend kind of alien. It was early in season 2, do you remember ?
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

Hey Xmag, I dont really recall Michael being a different kind of alien. Could you refresh my memory? The only things that kinda pops up for me is, when Nacedo was trying to "teach" Michael how to do things in the lab when they were trying to rescue Max.

Looking forward to hearing from you. :)
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

I think it was when the alien device Brody had reacted to Michael and not the others? It's been a while since I've watched season 2 though.

Mysteries (along with Shattered and Amends) is brilliant. I think it's close to being one of the best candy fics, right up there with Chicky's Routines and Becky's stories.
it's better to rise than fade away.
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

It's because of the episode of the second season "Ask not". There are a few scenes which make me think that the writers were going somewhere with Michael, the skins and the renegade skins, before doing a U turn, forgetting about the skins and going into Dawson territory with the classical love triangle/teenage pregnancy.

Scene 1 :

At the UFO Center, Max decides to take a look around. He breaks into Brody's secure area. Among other things, he sees a map on the monitor screen with a note at Roswell, New Mexico: Pulse detected 4:33pm, May 14th. He also sees a pentagram device and reaches out to touch it)
MAX: May 14th. Oh, my God.
BRODY: Don't touch that! What are you doing in here?
MAX: Just looking around. I was curious about all the equipment you brought in.
(Brody picks up the pentagram device)
BRODY: You recognize this?
MAX: No. What is it?
BRODY: I'm asking the questions. Why were you reaching for it?
MAX: Just curious again.

So Max is near the Pentagram and nothing happens, right ?

Scenes 2 and 3 :

As expected, Michael disobeys Max's orders and goes to the UFO Center to investigate. Hiding behind one of the exhibits, he sees Brody walk out of a room with the pentagram device in his hand. It starts making some noises and then releases a blue blast of energy which knocks Michael across the room.

TESS: But what about the attack on Michael?
ISABEL: Brody said the device just went off in his hand. It send out a pulse without warning, so I think it was because Michael was near, but I'm not sure.
ALEX: But why would it react to Michael and not to you?
MAX: I don't know.

So Michael went near the same alien device and it sent him flying. And as Alex said, why would the pentagram device react to Michael and not to Max ? Why if it was because Michael, in his past, was a skin ? That would explain why there were renegade skins : they would rather follow one of them. If not Khivar, then another one.

And this fic, Mysteries, explores Michael's past as a skin.

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

Oh okay! I get it now Xmag, thats funny though I never even thought about that, went right over my head. I dont know that I would have liked Michael being a skin though. :?
RhondaAnn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RhondaAnn »

Well, he was a hybrid this time around, didn't need the husk, but his let's say "nationality" had been a skin in a past life. That was the premise anyway.
Michael and Maria He stayed for her and she left for him.

xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

RhondaAnn wrote:Well, he was a hybrid this time around, didn't need the husk, but his let's say "nationality" had been a skin in a past life. That was the premise anyway.
I think the show really went there for a while and that Courtney wasn't just there as a roadblock for Michael and Maria, but that she was meant to introduce the renegade skins storyline.

And then, the show made a U turn and forgot about that.

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.
RhondaAnn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RhondaAnn »

Honestly, there was already enough tension between Michael and Max, I think had the show gone that way, it would have only divided them even more.

Jull_ana
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Candy fics that you must read - discussion

Post by Jull_ana »

Hey, guys,

I couldn't find this fic... Does anyone have a link?
xmag wrote:I think I will start with "Mysteries", by Anla. It's one of those long, long, long fics (there must be at least 1500 pages by now, spread over three separate fics "Mysteries, Shattered, Amends").
Thanks!!
Ju
RhondaAnn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RhondaAnn »

Well, it's not on this board, so I don't know if I can post a link or not. It's posted at CID though and also Kraving Candy.