Was Michael Abusive?

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Spacegirl04
Addicted Roswellian
Location: will change avi if someone else has it; waiting to be admitted to psych ward

Post by Spacegirl04 »

Actually I probably should have said that; yeah he stayed for her, but she ended up dumping him because of her "music career" she in my opinion went with them in the end because she didn't want to be left behind. Remember the convo she and Liz had, when Liz was getting the visions of graduation. Liz had to snap her out of being jealous because she wasn't part of the vision of being killed...

So I guess they really cared about each other, they just had a weird way of showing it. I personally don't think that Michael, used her for sex in destiny he was showing, his feelings for her. He did stay after all. I don't see that as being abusive, he wasn't the nicest to her at times, but she wasn't always the nicest to him either. Hence the entire icky billy episodes.....Like everyone else said she also used him for sex, she was feeling good and wanted to end the day on a good note by sleeping with him, I don't think she purposley did it to get back at him.

Then again I was so confused throughout the entire show at this point i never knew what to think...s3 sucked in a big way......I just don't agree that he was abusive.
My Fics

Save the cheerleader Save the world,-heroes, I say huh?
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Maria could be considered abusive one time, lol. When she slept with him and then he talked to her about it and she said it meant nothing and that she was feeling good and he was feeling good....

I think he was really sweet once Maria broke through to him.
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

Spacegirl04 wrote:Actually I probably should have said that; yeah he stayed for her, but she ended up dumping him because of her "music career" she in my opinion went with them in the end because she didn't want to be left behind. Remember the convo she and Liz had, when Liz was getting the visions of graduation. Liz had to snap her out of being jealous because she wasn't part of the vision of being killed...
Maria ended her relationship with Michael because she felt she was losing herself, her own identity to the 'alien abyss'. It didn't mean she didn't love him anymore. She had dreams and she was always putting her own life on hold for Michael. Maria needed that time to figure out what she really wanted in her life (which I think is more than fair enough). At the time, she wanted to pursue music so she did. She went to NYC, tried it and decided that becoming a Britney-esque pop puppet wasn't for her.

Now in saying this, I don't agree with Maria sleeping with Michael and then telling him that they're no longer connected. She made a mistake there and a hurtful one at that. Any candy will acknowledge this. But I don't believe she meant to hurt him and I don't think she would have slept with him if she didn't still love him. It wasn't the right thing to do though and I do still feel a bit ill watching that episode (Actually that entire season pretty much makes me feel ill :lol: ). However I'm not going to change ships and say that Maria no longer deserves Michael because of that. As we know, Michael also did shitty things to Maria in the course of their relationship. That's life though and why I perceive their relationship to be more realistic, rather than a soulmatish fairytale thing.

In the end Michael (in particular) meant more to Maria than anything else. I personally believe she went for him. Max, Kyle and Isabel weren't that close to her, she and Liz had drifted apart by that stage, so to me it seems most likely that the person she went for the most was Michael. I don't think Maria was jealous, I think her reaction was natural for that situation. She's already been left behind by her father, lost Alex and almost lost Michael once. Losing him permanently, and Liz? Yeah I totally understand why she reacted the way she did and I don't think it's jealousy.

Anyway, I've blabbered on enough, and of course it's only my perspective and what not.
it's better to rise than fade away.
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

Actually I probably should have said that; yeah he stayed for her, but she ended up dumping him because of her "music career" she in my opinion went with them in the end because she didn't want to be left behind. Remember the convo she and Liz had, when Liz was getting the visions of graduation. Liz had to snap her out of being jealous because she wasn't part of the vision of being killed...
Hum, let me think, i am a 18 years old girl, out of high school. I have dreams of becoming a singer.

- option A : i have a friend in NY who can take me in and help me, contacts with some people in the singing business, and i try to make a career in the show-business,

- Option B : i decide to follow my ex-boyfriend for a life on the run, leaving my mother with no chance to see her again, with no education, no singing career, and high chances of getting shot along the way, while i am not forced to follow my friends.

What do i choose, a life on the run, or a dream life in NY ? The reason and the logic scream NY. And still, that's not the path Maria decided to follow.

We always say "he stayed for her, and she left for him". Because we make a big deal of Maria sacrificing her future to be with Michael.

I am sorry, i love my best friend, but i won't follow her in a van with 2 other people, because i am jealous that i won't get to die within the next month or just to be close to her . Especially when said best friend is engaged. I really don't see Maria just going with them just to feel like a fifth wheel. Maria could have lived her own life, repare her relationship with her mother, live her dreams, and I don't think that giving up on all that while she and Michael weren't even together, is trivial.

So I guess they really cared about each other, they just had a weird way of showing it. I personally don't think that Michael, used her for sex in destiny he was showing, his feelings for her. He did stay after all. I don't see that as being abusive, he wasn't the nicest to her at times, but she wasn't always the nicest to him either. Hence the entire icky billy episodes.....Like everyone else said she also used him for sex, she was feeling good and wanted to end the day on a good note by sleeping with him, I don't think she purposley did it to get back at him.
In my opinion, even though i am a candy, i don't see Michael as perfect, but as a high maintenance kind of guy. And Maria had to be in love to stick with him, for two years, just like Michael had to be in love with Maria to stick with her, too, especially during season 3, because she was no piece of cake.

So, even if despite the roadblocks, and the other possibilites (Isabel and Courtney, Brody and Billy), they still chose each other, then love had to be involved, for the both of them.

It's just that there are different forms of love stories, some are peaceful, others are passionate, tragic, comic, volatile, explosive... there isn't one form of love story. Michael and Maria had the volatile/explosive form, Max and Liz the passionate/tragic one, and Alex and Isabel had the peaceful/slow one.

Just because i don't relate to the kind of love stories that Max and Liz, and Isabel and Alex had, or to the way those characters acted during their love stories, or because i sometimes didn't understand their reactions, means that i deny these love stories.

The love was there. Different for each couple in their ways of expressing it because of their various upbringings, personalities, situations happening to them, emotional scars, dreams, hopes and fears, but in my opinion, it was there.

PS : Repost from another board. And now, i am going back to my City Hunter fandom.
Spacegirl04
Addicted Roswellian
Location: will change avi if someone else has it; waiting to be admitted to psych ward

Post by Spacegirl04 »

LOL xmag you always have this way of explaining things really clearly...

I was a candy in the beginning, I just wish season 3 never happened, or maybe with different writing. I'm a hardcore uc'er now, if it ain't obvious, but I still like to watch roswell and reflect on the good old candy days back in season one...

:twisted: :shock:
My Fics

Save the cheerleader Save the world,-heroes, I say huh?
Grace52373
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Grace52373 »

I agree with xmag and girlafraid, Michael was not abusive, a jerk at times, and maybe a tad emotionally abusive, but it was all in the name of protecting the woman he loved. Besides Maria can be just as much as a jerk as Michael! I think what I admire most about this couple, is their honesty, and their willingness to accept when they are wrong and apologize. As a Candy, I was also disappointed in season 3. Season 3, I think was a time when the creators knew the show was going off the air, and hurridly tried to resolve things. Unfortunately, it was a disaster! I also remember the season 2 dvds, and the comments Shiri and Majandra made. I agree with the other posters, that they were referring to Maria and Liz being doormats! I think they wanted new love interests, because it would show that their characters would move on if they weren't getting what they needed out of a relationship. As far as M/M go, I always felt that despite their fighting, they had the strongest relationship on the show. I don't say this to put the other relationships down. As someone said earlier, love comes in different forms, and Roswell's couples showed the many different aspects of love, good and bad. In the end, Michael and Maria both realized that their dreams were nothing without each other. Maria left because of Michael, end of story! She had an opportunity to leave the alien abyss, and she didn't. She, like Michael needed to explore her dream, before settling down. Michael did this in seasons 1&2, and Maria did it in season 3. In fact, I sometimes think Season 3 was Maria's revenge for everything Michael put her through in the previous seasons LOL! M/M might have kissed others, but their love for each other was always there, through good times and bad. They never slept with anyone else, or felt for anyone else, like they did for each other. As to what the uc's say about the candies, don't listen to them. They have their own opinions, and their entitled to it. We don't have to agree with them and vice versa! I will never understand how someone could want Michael/Liz, Maria/Max, Michael/Isabel (Brendan and Katherine always looked like brother and sister to me, so cliffie pairings make me nauseous), and Max/Tess, but I believe that they feel the same way about us! As far as why I am, and always will be a candy fan, I think xmag said it best with the quote, "He stayed for her, and she left for him."
Grace
Roswell Conventionalist
Aura Guerin
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Aura Guerin »

I totally agree with everything you said. Yea MIchael and Isabel always felt more like Bro/sis to me too, so it was a tad too weird. Max/Maria shipper was weird cuz around Maria, Max to me always seemed like a gay guy friend, especially the whole girlfriend thing. Liz/Michael is the one I least understand. I totally get the whole opposites attrach thing but they always seemed like they hated each other soooo much.
To_Kiss_A_Frog
Addicted Roswellian

Post by To_Kiss_A_Frog »

i don't really post much about candies, not because i don't like them but just because i was always more of a dreamer but after reading everyone's opinions, i just wanted to drop one here too.

the way i see it, maria opened herself up to him early on which was why he was always able to get flashes from her. michael closed himself up because he didn't want her to have to see what he'd been through in life but when he did open himself up in Departure, she was finally able to really see him and i think that if either was really abusive to one another, they wouldn't have been able to get flashes or feeling perceptions from each other because to me it was a sign of trust.

they may not have been conventional in the relationship or romance department but an m/l type of love is rare and i think m/m had something that worked for them.

-Cyn-
<center>Image
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

i don't think Michael was abusive, but than again, i started watching the show when i was like 9, so that doesn't make me the best judge of character. However, they both treated each other like crap occasionally, so i would either be yelling "IDIOTS" or oohing and ahhing over the make ups. So personally, i just think theirs was a very vocal expressive relationship where they fought like cats and made up like dogs.
Magic Mushroom Omelets. You know what I'm talking about.

"Do it, or I'll snap your neck, pour jelly on your body, and pray to the GODS OF JELLY... to BURN YOUR SOUL in A JELLY LIKE HELL! Now GET THE JELLY!" - Dane Cook
(Sorry, I was watching Comedy Central)
kissme4ever123
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by kissme4ever123 »

[size=18]MICHEAL WAS NOT ABUSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
:arrow:

HE JUST DID NOT GIVE A DAMN :idea:
Our greatest fear is ourself.
Always be true to yourself because if you can't, than it is not worth anything to anyone one.