A Question for the Gazers...

Are you a stargazer? Want more Alex and Isabel? Then come in here and talk about it.

Moderators: truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

A Question for the Gazers...

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

I was thinking about this question the other day as I was trying to come up with an idea for the next fic I'm writing...

I'd ike to know if its just me or do most Gazers like to see Isabel and Alex in CC versus AU...and also I'd like to know if you like to read both (AU/CC) or one and not the other and why.....

I myself love reading them in both, hope to hear your thoughts on this... :D
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Sternbetrachter »

interesting question! :)

I am just glad when I find a story that has Stargazerness in it that I dont really care if it's CC or AU - both are great as long as Alex/Isabel are together ;)

both have its appeal, with all the possibilties that can be happening in an AU story (like Isabel being in love with Alex at first sight and then havign to pursue him) or when the "Ice Princess" from the show wakes up and realises that Alex is the one for her and she puts her fears behind her and (finally) opens up to him :)

but like I said, as long as there is happy A/I in a story, you can be sure that I'm a reader ;)

Trude
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

Canon vs. AU? Hm... Well, frankly, sometimes I forget to check AU stories, just because I don't look at AU much at all, BUT, I do really enjoy AU stories, when they work well. Really it's on a story-by-story basis. If the story works, it doesn't matter if it's canon or AU. :wink:
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Thanks for answering my question. :D
Lady_vixen
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Lady_vixen »

i like au stories better. just my 2 cents
adi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by adi »

As long as Alex and Isabel are accurately portrayed, does it matter.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Well the way I see it since Alex died on the show anything post Cry Your Name is AU for me.

Since I'm a Lamptrimmer I like to read fanfiction where Alex is alive with Isabel and Tess is good and happy with Kyle.So like I said most of that would be AU.
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Good point killjoy..
nefarious_liaison
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by nefarious_liaison »

There are pros and cons to both genres. CC gives us the possibilites to make what happened on the show believable and even add in scenes between particular episodes and such while AU gives you much more creative license with plot and characterisation. Though writing-wise, I definitely see more conventionial stories involving Alex and Isabel than alternative universe.

For myself, I'll admit that I prefer to read and write conventional stories. I find that my creative license only goes so far, so writing alternative universe takes a bit more effort even if I love the challenge. When it comes to Alex and Isabel, there are many avenues that have not been explored with conventional stories, especially centric fictions. As you may have noticed with my writing, I tend to write centric fictions post- "place particular episode here." Analyzing characters and displaying different aspects of them while keeping them in-character is my specialty, or so I like to think.

Now when it comes to reading, though I have said I prefer to read conventional, I still like to read AUs. My issue with some AUs is that, like any story, it must have a plausible premise (that I can picture) and be in-character (unless there's a perfectly good reason why they're not). I'm also a stickler for proper punctuation and grammar, (to the best of the author's abilities, of course), but that's with all genres.

So the verdict: I prefer conventional, but do venture into AU when the desire arises. :)
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Sternbetrachter »

CC gives us the possibilites to make what happened on the show believable and even add in scenes between particular episodes and such while AU gives you much more creative license with plot and characterisation. T
I think here lies the only not so horrible thing about Isabel and (especially) Alex not having so much screen time - we can think up more for them than maybe it is possible for M/L since most of their romance was seen on tv, unlike with A/I or Alex's life in general

trdude
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics