Why Oh Why Oh Why

Are you a stargazer? Want more Alex and Isabel? Then come in here and talk about it.

Moderators: truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

adi
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:31 am
Location: Cold, wet place a LOOONG way east of Roswell

Why Oh Why Oh Why

Postby adi » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:52 am

Since I am a stargazer, this question should be viewed as merely a question and not an argument.

Why are you a stargazer.

Is it because Alex, isabel or the way the pair of them combine to make a whole.

Is it because the options (dreamer, etc) are too mushy for words.

or is it deeply personal (no one is likely to anser with this but it is an example).

My answer is because of Alex. I'm not in postion to judge his looks or romanticism (I'll leave that upto the girls). He is however very reilable, loyal and an ideal friend and hasn't got anywhere near the same amount of personality flaws as the other boys.

Oddly all the girls seem to lack personality faults. Maybe thats just me though.

User avatar
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 2301
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:05 am
Location: Austria

Postby Sternbetrachter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:28 am

hm, I'm a stargazer because I (as weird as this sounds) need to have a couple in a tv show that I like so I can like the whole tv show (as I said, weird)
Alex's dream in Heatwave and Isabel's reaction to it were so sweet ... :) before that I was only watching Roswell for a few minutes before after zapping to the next channel but that scene made me a fanatic

... and I always liked the geek/princess pairing :lol:

Trude
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics

User avatar
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:45 pm

Postby Applebylicious » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:46 am

Sternbetrachter wrote:hm, I'm a stargazer because I (as weird as this sounds) need to have a couple in a tv show that I like so I can like the whole tv show (as I said, weird)
Alex's dream in Heatwave and Isabel's reaction to it were so sweet ... :) before that I was only watching Roswell for a few minutes before after zapping to the next channel but that scene made me a fanatic

... and I always liked the geek/princess pairing :lol:

Trude


I don't think that sounds weird at all, Trude. It's the same reason why I love Roswell - the moment after Max heals Liz and he's running to get in the Jeep and looks back and meets her gaze...that sealed the deal for me. I know exactly what you're talking about. :)

Now to answer the question - I liked Alex and Isabel because it was obvious that he was good for her, and vice versa. They challenged each other in a way that was amusing, and adorable.
Image

adi
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:31 am
Location: Cold, wet place a LOOONG way east of Roswell

Postby adi » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:16 am

Sternbetrachter wrote:hm, I'm a stargazer because I (as weird as this sounds) need to have a couple in a tv show that I like so I can like the whole tv show (as I said, weird)
Alex's dream in Heatwave and Isabel's reaction to it were so sweet ... :) before that I was only watching Roswell for a few minutes before after zapping to the next channel but that scene made me a fanatic

... and I always liked the geek/princess pairing :lol:

Trude


Definetly not weird. Doesn't matter how big a programmes budget, if theres no-one you can connect with then theres no chance of enjoying it You need someone to "feel for" so to speak.

User avatar
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Postby cardinalgirl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:58 pm

I can relate to both Alex and Isabel. Alex because around my friends I tend to be the people-pleaser, always-in-the-middle, couselor type of person. With Isabel it's because like her I can be very different around different groups of people, and generally my defensive position is the same as hers—I'm very good at feigning haughty indifference.

I wouldn't agree at all that the girls lacked personality faults, though. They all had them. Liz was always either all logic or all emotion—there was very little in-between, and it made for some very rash or very harsh decisions that she made, which might have been dealt with better if she'd had some sort of balance there. Maria tended to jump to conclusions, and she was very insecure which also made her rash. Tess (if you were including Tess) obviously had problems—she hardly knew who she was, much less what to do about it, and she was never making choices for herself, just allowing them to be made for her. And Isabel... well, she was full-to-the-brim of fear of rejection, and she dealt with that in the worst way possible, by rejecting everybody else, first. That, mixed with the power she gleaned from the knowledge that she could have any guy she wanted, at least in a superficial way, and she was pretty messed up.

And Alex did have his faults... they were just much simpler than the other guys,' since he didn't have abandonment issues (ala Kyle & Michael) or real big questions as to who he was (ala Michael & Max), his were just things that basic guys go through, feeling unsure of himself around girls, etc. But he was pretty harsh in his judgments of Liz and Max in Season 1, before he found out about the "Czechoslovakians." He was doing it for pretty noble reasons—he was worried about Liz—but that didn't stop him from basically being a jerk to her or Max.

And that was probably way much more discussion than you were looking for. :oops: Sorry.

adi
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:31 am
Location: Cold, wet place a LOOONG way east of Roswell

Postby adi » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:13 pm

cardinalgirl wrote:
And that was probably way much more discussion than you were looking for. :oops: Sorry.



Thats exactly what I was hoping for as it happens. A good rundown on each character from your point of view.

As for the girls character faults, maybe I'm just blind to things I don't need or want to see. I can only judge male faults since that is the only view I have. Men and women are different so judging what I don't understand is a no-no.

Maybe my problem is that the two guys where "in charge" and thus had responsibilities. If they couldn't handle them they should have stood down or shared them.

One question that really bugs me (off-topic) is the continuous belief that KNOWING the secret is dangerous. No it isn't. All you have to do is not have anything to do with the aliens, simple. Getting actively INVOLVED in the secret is dangerous.

User avatar
vegas312
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:43 pm
Location: sitting on the beach sipping iced tea
Contact:

Postby vegas312 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:20 pm

*Cam peeks in* Well I love A/I from the movement I saw the dream sequence in HW. The look she had on her face when she saw what Alex really thought of her was what drew me in. I could tell from that movement that right then and there that maybe there would be something magical between the two. Did that sound cheesy? lol I'm not saying A/I were perfect, but they had their moments. *Cam sneaks out*

User avatar
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Postby cardinalgirl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:14 pm

adi wrote:Men and women are different so judging what I don't understand is a no-no.


Are you saying I shouldn't be judging the men, either? :lol: Though I guess it is a valid point.

adi wrote:Maybe my problem is that the two guys where "in charge" and thus had responsibilities. If they couldn't handle them they should have stood down or shared them.


Two guys meaning Michael & Max? I don't really have an answer for Michael, but for Max.... he was a total control-freak. Liz even points it out to him in Toy House... it makes sense, though. Like Liz he's a very scientific thinker, and when things start getting out of his control he kind of goes nuts. Yes, he should have leaned on other people more... what can I say? He's a stubborn git.

adi wrote:One question that really bugs me (off-topic) is the continuous belief that KNOWING the secret is dangerous. No it isn't. All you have to do is not have anything to do with the aliens, simple. Getting actively INVOLVED in the secret is dangerous.


Occassionally it was dangerous just to know the secret... Think of the lady in Graduation (not that I put much stock in S3, but whatever). They threatened her kids' lives if she didn't help them out by pointing out which of the aliens used their voodoo magic to save her life. But I think the main thing here was that the people who they were worried about telling the truth to already were involved in their lives. Their parents, their friends, etc. Michael told Hal Carver in Summer of '47, after all, who wasn't directly connected to their lives, and there was nothing to lead us to believe that Hal was in any sort of danger after that.

User avatar
KaraGail
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:01 pm
Location: South Carolina

Postby KaraGail » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:00 pm

Why are you a stargazer.

Is it because Alex, isabel or the way the pair of them combine to make a whole.


I did not start off as a Stargazer. I, like Trude, had been channel surfing when I came across a scene between Kyle and Alex in the cafeteria. I had no idea what was being said but something made me stop there for a brief moment. :roll: Then I think the next time I watched it was when Alex and Liz were in jail. So really it wasn't a A/I moment that pulled me in. There was just something about Alex that made me just stop (I think it was his loyalty and caring for his friends) and actually try to understand what was going on and then once I saw how he felt about this girl, Isabel, I was hooked for life. :lol:

Is it because the options (dreamer, etc) are too mushy for words.
They ARE too mushy for me. I just never found anything appealing about either one of their characters (In fact I usually muted the tv when the were on) :twisted:

One question that really bugs me (off-topic) is the continuous belief that KNOWING the secret is dangerous. No it isn't. All you have to do is not have anything to do with the aliens, simple. Getting actively INVOLVED in the secret is dangerous.


I agree but one thing I believe is that these kids had every right to be paranoid. I mean they live in a town where half the economy there was boosted by the alien related themes (UFO Museum, Crashdown and Crash festival). If I had lived in Roswell and I was surrounded by alien theorist and such I probably would be paranoid as well and not tell anyone my secret. Secrets just have a tendency to not stay secret for long and usually cause someone to get hurt :shock: I think thats why they believed that knowing the secret could hurt someone (IMO) :lol:

Of course all of this is my opinion and probably only makes sense to me. :oops:

Kara

adi
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:31 am
Location: Cold, wet place a LOOONG way east of Roswell

Postby adi » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:17 am

cardinalgirl wrote:
adi wrote:Men and women are different so judging what I don't understand is a no-no.


Are you saying I shouldn't be judging the men, either? :lol: Though I guess it is a valid point.


I said "I" won't judge what "I" don't understand. You probably understand men better than I understand women so your entitled to. Besides, you women can read our minds anyway so whats the prob :D


Return to “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests