Why Oh Why Oh Why

Are you a stargazer? Want more Alex and Isabel? Then come in here and talk about it.

Moderators: truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

User avatar
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Postby cardinalgirl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:05 pm

Yes, I tend to leap to Isabel's defense. :lol: Not just around the Gazers... I do it everywhere. I've called myself out on it many a time. :wink:

User avatar
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:55 am
Contact:

Postby majiklmoon » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:55 am

cardinalgirl wrote:Yes, I tend to leap to Isabel's defense. :lol: Not just around the Gazers... I do it everywhere. I've called myself out on it many a time. :wink:


yeah....EVERYWHERE :lol: but we lurve ya Lisa!

User avatar
Angel
Administrator
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 4:58 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby Angel » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:26 am

trusty Truelovepooh

I read that and thought it said Crusty Truelovepooh. *snort*

User avatar
StargazerUK
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:01 pm
Location: London

Why am I a "Stargazer"?

Postby StargazerUK » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:20 pm

A couple of years ago I remember reading something that someone wrote that basically said that most guys are stargazers simply because of how Isabel looks. Now I have to say that a statement such as that couldn't have offended me more if it had a note attached saying something mean about my mother! Not least because I found it hugely insulting to the characters of Liz and Maria who are both beautiful young women in their own right.

Worryingly for me one of my sisters read a story I wrote a year or two back and when I next saw her, she currently lives in Ireland, she proceeded to tell me that Alex in the story I sent her was me! I'm sure there is some deep and meaningful reason behind why my sister would make that connection, hopefully it's that she sees me having a relationship with a six foot tall, blond goddess and no other reason lol. I only bring it up as the original question on the thread was why are you a Gazer. Maybe I identified with Alex, maybe not, but with most things in life you are simply drawn to something because you have some sort of connection to it, Whether it's music, a certain type of car or even the books you read, it all comes together to make up who you are.

The fact that I'm drawn to Alex/Isabel rather than Max/Liz or Michael/Maria is simply a matter of taste. If I'm honest I am 100% a C/C man with few, if any, exceptions. When it comes to Stargazer fics it's quite simply a case of the more the merrier. Having said that some of the best ever A/I scenes have been written by M/l writers or M/M writers. In fact I know writers who aren't keen on Isabel half as much as I am, but write her ten times better. ( You know who you are! )

Am I overly keen to read a story where Alex is with someone other than Isabel, if I'm honest that would be a no. But as luck would have it they came up with these little, helpful signs to help people like me out. ( CC, AU, UC or even A/I, M/L, M/M & K/T )

Roswell fan fiction for me was about the story's, first and foremost, but then something changed. It not only became about the story's but also the people who read and write those story's. Not only do I get to read these wonderful fics, but also I speak to people in the US, Canada, Australia, Europe and many more besides. I've even made an 8,000 mile round trip solely to spend sometime with a good friend that I met through Roswell. Before you ask, Yes she's a girl and yes I'm single, but can you believe she has a boyfriend and still I went lol. ( That was just added so you know I wasn't so sad that I was trying extreme blind-dating. ( I think my English sense of humour is getting in the way of what I am trying to say. ))

I'm probably coming off as a bit preachy, which is the last thing I would want. Not only are there people from many different countries and walks of life, but also different ages. I'm thundering towards my old fart years, but the one thing I know I have in common with all the people on this board is a love of Roswell and the characters. Do I think the writers got it wrong? You better your arse I do, but as Rick and a few others have said...that's the beauty of this site. We come here to see how it should be done.

People have many friends here who they are rightly protective of, but a simple misunderstanding or a difference of opinion is hardly the end of the world. I could name 100 things that you will all disagree with me on, but it doesn't stop us enjoying our time on here, nor should it. For the life of me I can't think why everyone doesn't see how great Alex and Isabel are over and above how good Max and Liz are or Michael and Maria, but I can learn to live with it lol.

For me Isabel always needed someone she could trust unconditionally and who was willing to allow her to move at her own pace...that was Alex. Alex needed to find someone who would help takeaway his insecurities and boost his confidence...that was Isabel. Of course these are only my opinions and people can agree, disagree or simply not care. But knowing how I feel about them helps you understand, if you ever wanted to, why I write what I write in my fictions.

I often say that in my story's I have Alex and Isabel apart and I put them together. Or, rarely, I have them together, break them apart and then put them back together lol. ( You can see a pattern forming lol. ) It's the world's simplist premise, but it works for me.

At the start of the very first story I wrote I had to put a disclaimer, as we all do, and I added as an after thought to the disclaimer "I don’t own any of these Roswell characters, I have borrowed them.( If I did Alex & Isabel would be living happily ever after. )"

That, in a nutshell, is why I read and write Roswell fan fiction. If you like what I write or the opinions I express...brilliant. If you don't...I'm truly sorry, no harm or offence was intended. As is stated many times on this thread and on this board...we are all entitled to our opinions. What shouldn't need to be added is the fact that we must play nice and respect one another. It shows what nice people we are.

I'm off to think of a new story to write. It's been too long! :wink:

David / StargazerUK
If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.

<center>
Image</center>

User avatar
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 2301
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:05 am
Location: Austria

Postby Sternbetrachter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:26 pm

funny how many people suddenly discovered this board and decided to post here :roll:

Funny, but there's a ton of Stargazer fics where Alex hooks up with a girl and it's okay because it makes Isabel jealous... like a plot device.

But if Isabel does it, somehow that's just not acceptable.

Color me confused.
I don't mind Alex hooking up briefly with someone else (male or female) because in the show, he never seemed interested in anyone else than Isabel so, as weird as I know this sounds, it doesn't seem *real* to me (and not only because I'm talking about fictional characters here) ... I dunno, with Isabel ... I always have to think back how much I hated it when Grant suddenly appeared - I'm like Pavel's dog here I guess :lol:


to the earlier, heated discussion about UC-ness, etc. ... honestly, when people enjoy UC, that is great - with what's going in the world, you have to enjoy as much as you can, be it simple fanfiction, or a sunset ... (get what I mean?) but lately ...

I, as someone who totally dislikes UC (but when you like it - cool), I get the feeling that i'm a bad person because I'm against UC and I because am not thrilled about having to see UC banners/avis everywhere (don't get me wrong, they look great and all but ... it's UC!)

sometimes I feel like it is expected of me to be ashamed because I don't like the idea of UC and that God should strike me down for actually feeling that UC is not great

and of course that's all just MY opinion and NOT a general rule :roll:



hm ... well ... that post got a little longer than i thought :oops:
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics

User avatar
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Postby cardinalgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:21 pm

First and foremost, David, thank you for that post. You say things so sanely. lol


Let me say that I totally understand when people want nothing but CC. I will always first and foremost LOVE the CC couples above and beyond anything UC. They're a world apart. UC couples cannot take away the fact that the CC couples ARE CC.

Does that make sense? lol

What I'm trying to say is, no way would I ever want or even condone someone wanting a CC'er to feel bad about their CC'ness. Heck, for the most part, I consider myself very CC. I know, you're giving me that "yeah, right" look, but it's true. I could probably count up the number of UC fics I've read on two hands. My point is not that UC is better than CC—I don't at all think that's true. My point is that it's just as unfair to make someone feel lousy for the UC interests as it is for their CC ones.

I imagine what UC is to some, is much like what AU without aliens is for me. While I'm positive there are well written AUw/oA fics out there, I can't personally make myself under almost any condition read that sort of fanfic, just because in my head it's a little wrong. lol But like Trude said, cheers to those who do enjoy them. I just don't think it's fair to go out of your way to call out any set of fans (since really we are all just fans) as being wrong about what they enjoy. *shrugs*
Last edited by cardinalgirl on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Postby cardinalgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:24 pm

Sternbetrachter wrote:I don't mind Alex hooking up briefly with someone else (male or female) because in the show, he never seemed interested in anyone else than Isabel so, as weird as I know this sounds, it doesn't seem *real* to me (and not only because I'm talking about fictional characters here) ... I dunno, with Isabel ... I always have to think back how much I hated it when Grant suddenly appeared - I'm like Pavel's dog here I guess :lol:


:lol: That's fair enough, Trude! :lol:

I think in some ways I'm just over disliking those characters so much (Well, Jesse, at least. I still dislike Grant. lol) just because it wasn't furthering my enjoyment to dislike them, you know? I never thought Jesse was a character I loved to hate (because I LOVE characters you love to hate)... I just didn't care for him at ALL on the show. And so the grr feelings have worn off on my part. But I do remember how much I glared daggers at Grant when he appeared. :lol:

And I am sorry to inflict my avi on you. :oops: I can't quite help myself there. I won't always be using this one, though. :wink:

User avatar
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 2301
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:05 am
Location: Austria

Postby Sternbetrachter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:56 pm

Who made this rule?


personally, I think it's more something of a definition than a rule :lol:

there are people, (I guess you are one of them but please, correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to do you wrong) who say that a stargazer is someone who likes Isabel with Alex, but who also likes Max with Liz, Isabel with Kyle or Michael with Liz

then there are people - like me (and Izzy&Alex 4eva, I guess) - who say that a stargazer is someone who's main ship is Alex/Isabel and who don't like the idea of either A or I being with anyone else

I'm sure there are tons of other definitions/opinions on the term but it's late, I'm tired and I have to work tomorrow so ... good night! :)
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics

User avatar
Stargazer's Delight
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Tasmania, Australia

Postby Stargazer's Delight » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:43 pm

StargazerUK wrote:A couple of years ago I remember reading something that someone wrote that basically said that most guys are stargazers simply because of how Isabel looks


Yeah that statement pissed me off to..though for different reasons.

StargazerUK wrote:I'm off to think of a new story to write. It's been too long! :wink:
Yes, anymore than a day is to long :lol:

StargazerUK wrote:Am I overly keen to read a story where Alex is with someone other than Isabel, if I'm honest that would be a no. But as luck would have it they came up with these little, helpful signs to help people like me out. ( CC, AU, UC or even A/I, M/L, M/M & K/T )


Helpfull? Have you even visited the CC thread lately? :lol:
I allready avoid avoid UC & AA thread and it's now sad that i have be carefull in the CC thread for UC pairings :x.


Sternbetrachter wrote:funny how many people suddenly discovered this board and decided to post here :roll:

sometimes I feel like it is expected of me to be ashamed because I don't like the idea of UC and that God should strike me down for actually feeling that UC is not great


Yes how dare they come and post :x oh yeah :idea:

Don't feel bad Trude, i hate UC as you know full well how much.

Am i a bad man? you bet your ass i am :lol: i have my own place reserved in hell :wink:

As for I/A...well I'll never support them with others at the end of a fic.
It does not bother me if they're with others during a fic (except Incrowding) aslong as they're together by the end it just makes it much better reading them.

Izzy&Alex 4eva wrote:
adi wrote:Why are you a stargazer.

Is that a trick question? :?

I am a Stargazer because:
1) I like Alex :D

2) I Like Isabel :D

3) I don't like one anymore than the other

4) I Like Alex/Isabel together as a couple :D :D :D

5) I don't support them apart or with any others in any situation.
If you support them with others you should just merely call yourself a supporter of A/I when the situation calls for it.
But don't say you're a Stargazer, it's demeaning and injustified bashing of characters/ and the couple. No matter what sugar coated bullshit you're spinning.

6) Did i mention that i love Alex/Isabel together :D


Damn only 3 of those rules you used to decribe how you're a stargazer apply to me :cry:

ohwell like someone said earlier it's only a title, sure it's only the title of the couple i have claimed to support from day 1..so i might aswell just move on and start shipping Isabel with Sean 8) such a lovely couple with so much in common, did you know that they were both on Roswell and even stranger they both knew Maria :D ( of course i must destroy everything Isabel was about to make it happen, but hey that's easy :wink: )

Goodbye Gazers :cry:

User avatar
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:50 am
Location: east coast
Contact:

Postby DreamerLaure » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Stargazer's Delight wrote:Helpfull? Have you even visited the CC thread lately? Laughing
I allready avoid avoid UC & AA thread and it's now sad that i have be carefull in the CC thread for UC pairings Mad.


I agree! A lot of the time, CC fic writers have a hard time defining Alex and Isabel's relationship. And consequently, either for the attention/focus on Max and Liz or Maria and Michael or sometimes a part of the show CC writers are trying to address, Alex and Isabel's relationship isn't explored in much detail.

For me, I'll admit I struggle with this too because I felt like the show itself didn't give enough attention to Alex and Isabel. It's unfortuanate, but I try to be conscious of their relationship.

I have a question, and I've seen some answers to the following questions: What makes you feel cheated when you see them in fics that are not A/I centric? I'll admit that the Stargazer focused fics are outnumbered for the most part by Dreamer and Candy fics, so as a helpful hint for us CC writers *waves :)* what do you like to see? what doesn't sit with you right about some of the A/I pairings or, lol, insinuations?
"The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives."
Meredith - Grey's Anatomy


Return to “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests