Why UC?

Do the conventional couples just not float your boat at times or at all?? Polarists, GZers, Rebels, Loyalists, and all other UCers---this is the place for you guys...

Moderators: jbangelo, Forum Moderators

NikkiA
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by NikkiA »

I love anything truly well written.

A well written, beleivable, UC fic is a true rarity and thus an absolute gem to read.

There are hints of many UC couples in Roswell between the CC moments and the truth is, in real life, you almost never end up with the person you dated in high school. Trust me on this one. If my high school years had been a TV show the person I'm with now would be very, very UC.

I always wanted a measure of happiness for Tess. Not because I hated Liz or anyone else for that matter but because I beleived she was a very lost screwed up kid who needed her head on straight. I mean can you imagine being raised by Nasedo? I really don't think she ever loved Max.

Queen Ava loved King Zan, that much would not surprise me, but the thing people seem to forget is that Tess is not Ava and Max is not Zan just as Micheal is not Rath and Isabell is not Vilandra. They may carry remnants of those people but they are not one in the same. Tess has been told her entire life about Zan, that she was meant to love him, so when she meets Max who carries those peices of Zan she goes after him, with out getting to know him.

This is also not to say everything in fine and dandy in Dreamerland! There are some inherent flaws in Liz/Max that where never worked out and yes it would not surprise me if alot it started off as hero worship.

There is so much more to a relationship then lust. Not to say Lust isn't fun!

Um... I think I lost the point here so I'm just gonna slip off now..... I hope I didn't upset anyone too much...

Peace Out,
Nicole
I WAS AT A PARTY, he added, a shade reproachfully.
-- Death is summoned by the Wizards (Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic)
gnrkrystle
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by gnrkrystle »

i agree...i think that there is alot to be said for Queen Ava and King Zan...that can't all be gone just becuase of Max's high school crush...and she got a raw deal, more so than Michael really...it's too easy to write her off as bad and not delve into her character...she was wounded and no one, but Kyle and Jim took the time or effort to try to mend her, and at that point it was probably too late :(
Check out my Author's Thread: viewtopic.php?t=13258
BlackBetty41
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by BlackBetty41 »

I only like UC in fics not that I want it that way in the show or any movie they have planned. I think the couples they have on the show have earned their right to stay together and I do love them. The only couple I'm not so into is Michael & Maria. I love the way she makes him happy etc but I find that she really doesnt appreciate him in the long run. It always seems that no matter what he does its not enough for her. I've asked this question before but I'll say it on here too "He stayed on the planet for her. What more can he do????".

So for Michael I turn to UC. I've read a few of him witrh Isabel but my fav UC couple is Michael and Liz, set in the future and I think they really share a connection and it's beautiful. But besides that I tend to stay away from UC altogether, tho I am just starting to read fics so who knows :wink:

I'm your dream, mind astray
I'm your eyes while you're away
I'm your pain while you repay
you know it's sad but true
gnrkrystle
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by gnrkrystle »

lol ahhh...it comes down to that LOL...hehehe well i actually take a different stance on Michael and Maria...he never treated her like she deserved and when she realized that, it was only right for her to break it off...just becuase he stayed doesn't mean she has to be bound to him...that was his choice, not hers lol...but differences of opinion i guess...its the same reason i write Maria with Kyle....i think they could have had a great relationship of mutual love and respect
BlackBetty41
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by BlackBetty41 »

gnrkrystle wrote:...he never treated her like she deserved and when she realized that, it was only right for her to break it off...just becuase he stayed doesn't mean she has to be bound to him...that was his choice, not hers lol...
i guess that can be considered true and in a way I agree. I think the characters were just different in alot of ways. Depending on the season I think it was Michael's fault but at other points it was Maria's, which is why I like to read the UC fics and see where each individual Author will take the characters.

I also like Zan and Liz now..hehe...but only in ones where Max isnt mentioned cause I don't think she'd choose Zan over Max

I'm your dream, mind astray
I'm your eyes while you're away
I'm your pain while you repay
you know it's sad but true
gnrkrystle
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by gnrkrystle »

yeah Michael and Maria were different, but that was what made them great...Liz and Max never had thier own drama...only drama thrown on them becuase they were too wrapped up in each other...you know what i mean? Real relationships are MUCH more like Michael and Maria...and i like realism
Tears_of_Mercury
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Why UC?

Post by Tears_of_Mercury »

You know, I really feel like it's so odd for me as a hardcore Dreamer to be into so many UC couples, but there you go.

I actually dabbled with Polar when I was first getting into Rosfic. Polars make some very good points for why their couples would work together, and the episodes they often point out - Missing, It's Too Late and It's Too Bad (or maybe that's Baby It's You?), etc. - do have some moments that seem to hint at UC or chemistry. But then I look back at Liz and Michael's faces with other people of the opposite sex, both their cannon SI's and other friends or acquaintances, and I see that a lot of times they will wear identical expressions or have similar chemistry. Now, this is just my personal opinion - and I am of the persuasion that there was some really odd subtext between the two on the show - but I tend to lean (read: 100%) toward platonic polarism.

One thing I've never been able to stomach is Maria/Max. Not sure why, but I just don't. And while I tend to see-saw back and forth on Tess's character on a whole, I hate Rebel through-and-through. There is an occasionally odd energy there, though, and although I really don't think that either of them truly loved each other or their personalities would have meshed well, it wouldn't have surprised me if an equation where Liz wasn't in the picture would have led to them at least giving Destiny a try. True Bluer just makes my stomach turn for some reason - but there were some odd undertones in Heat Wave and something just a little off about Liz's reaction after CYN. This can all be whisked away with perfectly reasonable and plausible explanations, but again I can see that that couple might have been not a soul mate match but a relationship that might have flourished for awhile, maybe weeks or maybe years, before falling apart or fading away. But, you know, my point is kind of that although there are a lot of couples that I don't support for emotional/personality reasons or shipping preferences, I also see where people are coming from on certain ships if they might have a certain weakness or view the show a certain way -- it's just the fanatical UC fans that kind of freak me out. (But then again, fanatical CCers have much the same effect on me! :P )

I also seesaw back and forth when it comes to Michael and Maria - some people have mentioned that they don't think Michael deserved Maria or that Maria didn't deserve Michael, I think that's really true of both characters, not just one. Of course, this can be said for any couple, but I'm just not sure if I feel like they were as endgame as the writers would have liked us to believe. Then again, other times I look at them and I think "Oh, I get it!" but those moments are few and far between. I also didn't really have any special place in my heart for Stargazer, so I ship Isabel and Michael both together and with other people quite a bit - same for Alex and Maria.

Then there's the whole slash aspect of the show... lol. There are arguably many homosexual undertones between both the female and male characters, and to borrow a quote from some essay/article I can't remember very well, many times when writers write slash pairings it has nothing to do with sexuality but with exploring a relationship in a different way or on a different level. I mostly stick to pretty well-known femmeslash stuff like Liz/Tess and Liz/Isabel, and don't read smut just because that's not really what draws me into those relationships. But to each his own, and if there's some reason why a female/male reader or writer goes crazy over the idea of two characters of the same sex going at it, it's not really my place to judge.

There's a reason for the division line between fanon and cannon. And in some cases, for certain series, it can be a very good thing - other times, it can really piss the majority of the fanbase off. I guess the great thing about UC is that, if it's shipped -- not "properly", but realistically, I guess -- it can be a great outlet for openminded fans or for people who were frustrated with the way things went on the show or had trouble relating to the main characters.
gnrkrystle
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by gnrkrystle »

Wow, very well said (even if i don't agree with you heeheehee). Yeah, i think the reason i got so into UC was that i did find the main coupling on Roswell (max/liz) so frustrating. They spent far too much time, in my humble opinion, trying to create drama for those two that they left out a lot of far more interesting characters. I also have to disagree with you about max/liz and maria/michael (sorry lol). I personally think there were a lot more moments where Maria and Michael made sense than when Liz and Max made sense. I mean, come on, Liz is gonna leave Max because some girl he doesn't even like (or so he says ;) ) comes into the picture? Must not like the guy that much. But i mean, that's how i saw the show. Other people, obviously, are over the moon for Max/Liz...that just goes to show that we all have different opinions...the thing I hate about some die hard CCers is that UC is like WRONG to some of them. Hey, i don't tell the Dreamers "Enough all ready with the Max and Liz!" however, i've recieved feedback about my fics that talk about how "wrong" it is to put two people together...just a personal pet peeve i guess

On another note completely, I have a philosophical question about CC/UC characterization lol. Okay, so Kyle/Tess is concidered CC and Max/Tess is concidered UC, right? That actually makes not sense because on the show Kyle and Tess were never together. There was a half hearted crush that lasted about half an episode. Max and Tess, on the other hand, not only dated on the show...were married in another life...and made a baby. In fact, to our knowledge, on the show the only people that even had sex with each other were Max/Tess, Michael/Maria, and Isabel/Jess. Just food for thought...
Tears_of_Mercury
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Tears_of_Mercury »

gnrkrystle wrote:Wow, very well said (even if i don't agree with you heeheehee). Yeah, i think the reason i got so into UC was that i did find the main coupling on Roswell (max/liz) so frustrating. They spent far too much time, in my humble opinion, trying to create drama for those two that they left out a lot of far more interesting characters. I also have to disagree with you about max/liz and maria/michael (sorry lol). I personally think there were a lot more moments where Maria and Michael made sense than when Liz and Max made sense. I mean, come on, Liz is gonna leave Max because some girl he doesn't even like (or so he says ;) ) comes into the picture? Must not like the guy that much. But i mean, that's how i saw the show. Other people, obviously, are over the moon for Max/Liz...that just goes to show that we all have different opinions...the thing I hate about some die hard CCers is that UC is like WRONG to some of them. Hey, i don't tell the Dreamers "Enough all ready with the Max and Liz!" however, i've recieved feedback about my fics that talk about how "wrong" it is to put two people together...just a personal pet peeve i guess

On another note completely, I have a philosophical question about CC/UC characterization lol. Okay, so Kyle/Tess is concidered CC and Max/Tess is concidered UC, right? That actually makes not sense because on the show Kyle and Tess were never together. There was a half hearted crush that lasted about half an episode. Max and Tess, on the other hand, not only dated on the show...were married in another life...and made a baby. In fact, to our knowledge, on the show the only people that even had sex with each other were Max/Tess, Michael/Maria, and Isabel/Jess. Just food for thought...
Oh I agree with you about the Lamptrimmer thing. Kyle/Tess and Isabel/Kyle get so much air time in cannon fanfics, but they were not cannon AT ALL! I mean, c'mon now, people, I can see the Incrowder angle a little bit more, and I might have a soft spot for Lamptrimmer, but there's no way you're going to convince me that they're cannon. As for Rebel not being cannonized, I will say that I think that's because there is so much conjecture on how much of the relationship was actually real - Max didn't even take notice of Tess until she mindwarped him (which she didn't even try to deny doing in The White Room). And plus, there have been comments made from sources like Ronald D. Moore, I think, about how OOC they had to make Max to "justify" M/T, and all of the rumors about Jason Behr thinking/requesting that the Max and Tess storyline was a mindwarp. So, although largely they get shafted as UC because the majority of Roswellians are also Dreamers, there are other reasons, too. But if you want to look at a couple that gets snubbed in this fandom, look to Isabel/Jesse. As far as I know RF is the only board to even recognize them as cannon, and from the very few times that I've seen a story for them posted on the CC board, it gets little to no replies. They aren't even viewed as cannon by most fans.

I won't try to debate with you on the virtues and pitfalls of M/L, because, well, it would either turn into an argument or make the thread go completely off topic. I will just say that I think it was made very obvious to Liz from the beginning by every alien but Max himself - first Michael and Isabel, then later Nasedo and Tess - that she was neither welcome or wanted. And when she was accepted, everyone still treated the idea of her and Max together as an inferior one; the aliens, anyway. So I do think that hearing that for over a year is going to eventually break a person if Max himself is pushing her away at times. But then again, that will probably read to you more like another reason why they shouldn't be together than an explanation. :lol:

In the end it's just a "can't we all get along?" thing. I mean, I throw up in my mouth a little everytime I see the Rebel thread on the first page over at FF, but I don't say anything about it or go into their threads, read their posts and call them idiots or start arguments. I'm sure a certain ammount of Rebel bashing goes on in the M/L threads and vice versa, but to a certain extent you just have to stick to your own shipping circles or, if you're a CC/UC supporter like me, grow a bit of a thicker skin.
gnrkrystle
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by gnrkrystle »

lol i totally agree with you. You just got to take it a move on...not skin off my nose if CC people hate my stories cause they are UC...

As for Tess/Max...i get what you're saying, but it doesn't change the fact they were a couple...maybe a dysfunctional one (but which couple on the show WASN'T dysfunctional?) I don't know, i still think there is something to be said for the fact that Tess and Max shared a life together on Antar too...but again, i think we will have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

Yeah, and poor Isabel/Jesse...they do totally get the shaft. Maybe its because everyone thought that thier relationship was so rushed, but just like Max/Tess, that's no excuse for excluding them from the CC fandom...

I do have a conspiracy theory that Dreamers run the politics of Roswell fanboards, and that is why these things happen, but that's just my little theory ;)

And i also think that Kyle/Isabel would be more CC than Kyle/Tess, especially since, in the course of the show it was revealed that he thought of Tess as a sister...i guess they want Kyle and Tess to have a partner, and since the idea of Tess with Max makes people fling themselves off buildings, it makes since...

Another question...wouldn't Kyle/Liz also be Canon? :twisted: