The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Rowedog
Forum Moderator

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by Rowedog »

NotYourChick wrote:
killjoy wrote:I'm tired of being the 'nice guy' the responsible one.It's gotten me no where in life and living alone.

Maybe I need to do something 'wild' for once...act like an ass....tell people to fuck off when they ask for my help? I don't know.....there's got to be something better out there than what I'm living now? :roll:
Come to the south. Southern girls love nice guys.
:lol: Alabama's not south enough?

Maybe you need to try internet or speed dating or something, KJ. Put yourself into a position where you can meet a greater range of women and keep trying. There's got to be at least one girl out there for you.
Alison’s Fics

Round 13 Funniest Feedbacker
Round 14 Feedbacker You Follow Around The Board (Stalkers!!)
Round 14 Most Thought Provoking Feedbacker
SidneyAce
Addicted Roswellian

Post by SidneyAce »

killjoy wrote:
SidneyAce wrote:Killjoy: Losing another good guy to the dark side! How sad for all the gals in the world. :wink:
Well what the hell else am I supposed to do? :roll: I treat all women I meet like I was raised to...nice,friendly,with respect,open doors,give up my seat and never to lay a hand on one in anger.And after thirty six years where has it got me? Every freaking girl I meet putting me in her 'friend zone' :roll:
Myabe you're just meeting or going after the wrong gals. Try different kind of gals.
I'm sure you'll find the right person. There is someone for everyone, i believe that.

"..I get hungry for love and thirsty for life
And much too full on the pain"
-Jason Mraz
Roswellian117
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswellian117 »

I am really upset by the whole nominating fics for these awards... There are a LOT of talented writers but it seems that the "same" people are always nominating the "same" people and that is not cool. I think we should have a week to look through all the fics in each section, read a chapter from each story and nominate accordingly because all the LESSER known authors are not getting a fair chance and that is not ok. Seems everyone is nominating in their little cliques and for their personal friends.

That is just my opinion...
chanks_girl
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by chanks_girl »

Roswellian117 wrote:I am really upset by the whole nominating fics for these awards... There are a LOT of talented writers but it seems that the "same" people are always nominating the "same" people and that is not cool. I think we should have a week to look through all the fics in each section, read a chapter from each story and nominate accordingly because all the LESSER known authors are not getting a fair chance and that is not ok. Seems everyone is nominating in their little cliques and for their personal friends.

That is just my opinion...
You realize that the awards are based on individual taste? Everybody is free to nominate who they want and especially whose work they like. If you aren't happy with the noms, then register for the noms and nominate the authors, feedbackers, artists etc who YOU like. No one forces you to nominate the same people. But if the majority have the same taste in fanfiction so be it.
The nominations are open until the 15th November, that's plenty of time to read, review and nominate fics. If you had read the rules for the nominations, you would know that everyone has the chance to change his/her noms until dead line. So every author has still a good chance to be nominated.

It's very disrespectful to say friends nominate friends - that would be very tacky. I don't think anyone here needs this kind of help when he/she is a great writer, artist etc.
The awards are also a sign for popularity we can't deny that. If one author is very popular and in addition her/his work is outstanding then this person deserves the nomination.

We're still nominating and not already voting.
Roswellian117
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswellian117 »

So u'r saying it's ok to be biased and partial to only certain favorite writers? Why can't we just step out of our comfort zones?

That's all I'm saying.

I am going to take my time to nominate in each category. I will even offer an explanation why I nominated my nominee.

Sorry if you felt the need to bite my head off. I was only expressing how I felt at the moment. I can see how I came off as brash and I apologize to anyone I offended.
chanks_girl
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by chanks_girl »

What I'm saying is that everyone is free to nominate whoever they like based on the author's outstanding fic. If a fic touches you emotionally and personally and you feel the need to praise the author with a nomination. Then do it! It's your choice. That's what you should realize and understand that in the end it's your choice. You don't need to nominate like everyone else. It's your choice. I emphasize that nominations are based on individual taste. It's not about being biased or kissing someone's ass by nominating author X because he/she is my friend.

I think you're long enough member of this board to notice that there are authors who have a big fanbase and other authors don't have this support system. So yes, people nominate those people they like due to the fic that is great.

I don't eat a steak because I think the meat deserves some attention. I eat the steak because I like steak. That's how it is with the noms. It's a choice based on personal taste.

In addition, it's not about having a comfort zone. Everyone who is allowed to vote has probably already made up his mind who they want to nominate because they like said author.

You want to take your time to think about your choices? Go ahead no one stops you. You want to nominate who you like? Go ahead no one stops you.

But you should think about the possibility that most already made up their minds about their nominations because the RF Awards are usually annual wards.
valentinebaby
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by valentinebaby »

It is 4:30am, I am tired, I am exhausted and have gotten no more than six hours of sleep in the past almost two weeks because my toddler has suddenly forgotten how to sleep in his own bed, he'll go to sleep til about 2am wake up and refuse to go back to bed unless it's in my bed, and I can't sleep if he's in my bed. I don't know what to do and I'm about to rip my hair out here. I've tried laying in his room with him until he falls asleep, takes at least an hour if not more and I'm stuck laying on a very uncomfortable toddler bed where I'm half on the mattress half on the frame. I've tried ignoring him and letting him cry it out but that seems to take even longer with the amount of time he gets back out of bed and I have to put him back in it. All I want is to go lay down in my bed and go to sleep. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
April
Roswell Fanatic

Post by April »

Just have to add my two cents about this fanfic awards thing: It's not about having a comfort zone or being biased. At the end of the day, you're not going to nominate something you're not reading, which is why I think you tend to see "cliques," (and that's probably not the right word) nominating each other a lot. Let's also remember that there are the "Most Underpraised Writer" and "Fic No One Seems to Be Reading But Everyone Should" categories for authors/stories that, for whatever reason, don't seem to get the attention and/or credit they deserve. :)

Oh, Ang, I hope you get some time to rest. Sounds un-fun for sure.
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

meh, never mind.
it's better to rise than fade away.
valentinebaby
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by valentinebaby »

girl afraid wrote:meh, never mind.
lol You sure you don't want to vent a little?