The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

User avatar
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:20 am
Location: Northern NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by girl afraid » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:11 am

valentinebaby wrote:
girl afraid wrote:meh, never mind.
lol You sure you don't want to vent a little?
I posted something while consuming too many drinks and then regretted it after sobering up. It was far more depressing than vent worthy, heh.
April wrote:Just have to add my two cents about this fanfic awards thing: It's not about having a comfort zone or being biased. At the end of the day, you're not going to nominate something you're not reading, which is why I think you tend to see "cliques," (and that's probably not the right word) nominating each other a lot. Let's also remember that there are the "Most Underpraised Writer" and "Fic No One Seems to Be Reading But Everyone Should" categories for authors/stories that, for whatever reason, don't seem to get the attention and/or credit they deserve. :)
This is true. I'm not nominating this time around because I've been away from Ros-fandom but back when I did, I mostly nominated candy fics and general group CC fics because those were just the kind of stories I read. You can't help what you like.
it's better to rise than fade away.

User avatar
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:41 am

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by Heavenli24 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:31 pm

girl afraid wrote:
April wrote:Just have to add my two cents about this fanfic awards thing: It's not about having a comfort zone or being biased. At the end of the day, you're not going to nominate something you're not reading, which is why I think you tend to see "cliques," (and that's probably not the right word) nominating each other a lot. Let's also remember that there are the "Most Underpraised Writer" and "Fic No One Seems to Be Reading But Everyone Should" categories for authors/stories that, for whatever reason, don't seem to get the attention and/or credit they deserve. :)
This is true. I'm not nominating this time around because I've been away from Ros-fandom but back when I did, I mostly nominated candy fics and general group CC fics because those were just the kind of stories I read. You can't help what you like.
I do think that a lot of older stories get forgotten about, and so people only seem to vote for what is being posted right now... which isn't all that much compared to the number of stories being posted 2 or 3 years ago. Therefore it seems like there are only a few different Candy/Dreamer/etc. stories in the entire fandom! As far as I can tell, the same 3 or 4 stories are being nominated in each category, which doesn't seem fair on all the rest of the fics and writers in the fandom - it's like, even if you have tons of completed stories, if you're not currently actively posting anything, then you're unlikely to be nominated.

There are almost 2,000 completed stories posted here on Fanatics alone, plus 200 in progress and close to 1,000 in D&B, plus there's also all the really old ones in the archive, yet quite a few people vote for the same 3 stories in almost every category... do those 3 stories really beat every other Roswell fanfic ever written (or that you've ever read, if you're relatively new to the fandom) in every single category? It gets to the point where I already know which stories a poster will have nominated in a category before I even open the thread to see their post, and also which stories are going to make it through to the final voting rounds... it kind of takes some of the excitement out of the nominations :(.

User avatar
Rowedog
Forum Moderator
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:54 pm
Location: In your mind.
Contact:

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by Rowedog » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Heavenli24 wrote:I do think that a lot of older stories get forgotten about, and so people only seem to vote for what is being posted right now... which isn't all that much compared to the number of stories being posted 2 or 3 years ago. Therefore it seems like there are only a few different Candy/Dreamer/etc. stories in the entire fandom! As far as I can tell, the same 3 or 4 stories are being nominated in each category, which doesn't seem fair on all the rest of the fics and writers in the fandom - it's like, even if you have tons of completed stories, if you're not currently actively posting anything, then you're unlikely to be nominated.

There are almost 2,000 completed stories posted here on Fanatics alone, plus 200 in progress and close to 1,000 in D&B, plus there's also all the really old ones in the archive, yet quite a few people vote for the same 3 stories in almost every category... do those 3 stories really beat every other Roswell fanfic ever written (or that you've ever read, if you're relatively new to the fandom) in every single category? It gets to the point where I already know which stories a poster will have nominated in a category before I even open the thread to see their post, and also which stories are going to make it through to the final voting rounds... it kind of takes some of the excitement out of the nominations :(.
Generally speaking, you're right. The awards are typically more a celebration of the current fics that are posted. That's usually because they're current and fresh in everyone's minds, not because they're "OMG, the best thing ever" but because they're the ones that readers are invested in at the time. Unless I'm actively involved in the reading process, I will tend to forget about a fic, unless there's a characterisation or aspect that really screams out at me. That's why it's so great that they have that new category, "Best Old Fanfiction", because hopefully it'll lead to more exposure for those fics and give people ideas for different nominations in the other categories. And just to be facetious, the 1,000 fics in the D&B can only be nommed for "Fic you'd most like to see completed" :wink:

Personally, I'm basing my nominating on the fics that I think are the best and if those fics are great in a number of areas, then so be it - in fact, that's probably why I like the fics so much. I'd rather nominate one amazing fic in a bunch of categories that I think it's worthy of winning, rather than nominate three different, somewhat adequate fics for every category just so that people don't think I'm in a clique. My noms are reflections of my personal taste and I don't let other people's opinions influence what I'm doing. I read a lot of fics, but I only continue reading and leaving feedback for the ones I like. I only nominate the best of the ones I'm reading in relation to the category I'm nominating in. Like Sarah said, you like what you like.

If you're unhappy with the noms you're seeing, sign up and nominate the fics that you like. People can often follow suit if you put in a nomination and remind everyone of that fic. It's definitely not a lost cause.
Alison’s Fics

Image
Round 13 Funniest Feedbacker
Round 14 Feedbacker You Follow Around The Board (Stalkers!!)
Round 14 Most Thought Provoking Feedbacker

User avatar
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:35 am
Location: Over here
Contact:

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by RosDude » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:57 pm

I'd just like to know what exactly is so bad about nominating fics that are being written now? I acknowledge that there are a lot of great older stories. But a lot of those stories were written by authors who have moved on from Roswell. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Personally, I'd much rather see an award go to an author who is currently writing, than to one who may have written a great story a few years ago, but is no longer active in the fandom. Not only that, I think it would mean a lot more to the author who is writing now. What's the use of giving an award to someone, if chances are they will probably never even know they won it, or may no longer even care?

~Chad~
Image

User avatar
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:41 am

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by Heavenli24 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:10 pm

RosDude wrote:I'd just like to know what exactly is so bad about nominating fics that are being written now? I acknowledge that there are a lot of great older stories. But a lot of those stories were written by authors who have moved on from Roswell. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Personally, I'd much rather see an award go to an author who is currently writing, than to one who may have written a great story a few years ago, but is no longer active in the fandom. Not only that, I think it would mean a lot more to the author who is writing now. What's the use of giving an award to someone, if chances are they will probably never even know they won it, or may no longer even care?
There's nothing bad about nominating fics that are being written now, it's just that because the fandom has slowed down a lot in the last couple of years, there aren't very many fics being written/regularly updated at the moment - which means that if people are only nominating current fics, then there aren't that many to 'choose' from, so to speak, so the same handful of fics tend to be nominated in most of the categories. I'm only currently keeping up with about 4 WIP stories at the moment, so my focus lately has been on re-reading some of the older fics that I like... so when I see people only nominating current WIPs, I think 'But what about all these other great fics that are already finished? Don't they get a look in too?'

I do agree with your point about the awards being given to people who might not know they've won because they don't write anymore though - when you put it that way, voting for current fics/authors does make more sense.

User avatar
valentinebaby
Obsessed Roswellian
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:13 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by valentinebaby » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:11 am

I hate snow and freezeing weather. Hate hate hate. Hate hate hate hate.
Image

User avatar
Roswellian117
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: NorCal
Contact:

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by Roswellian117 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 pm

As far as I can tell, the same 3 or 4 stories are being nominated in each category, which doesn't seem fair on all the rest of the fics and writers in the fandom
Yeah see that was my point... LOL! It just seemed cliquey because you tend to see the same feedback on the stories as well... Sorry but it seems people are voting for their friends and the same 3 stories are being nominated as well as the same authors... It honestly doesn't matter though even if the little people like me raise our voices we still won't be heard and told to shut up... So all in all vote for whoever it doesn't matter... I like the stories people are voting for!

BTW... I've had a pretty bad day... My cat died... RIP Jojo Kitty Butt!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Rowedog
Forum Moderator
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:54 pm
Location: In your mind.
Contact:

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by Rowedog » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Roswellian117 wrote:
As far as I can tell, the same 3 or 4 stories are being nominated in each category, which doesn't seem fair on all the rest of the fics and writers in the fandom
Yeah see that was my point... LOL! It just seemed cliquey because you tend to see the same feedback on the stories as well... Sorry but it seems people are voting for their friends and the same 3 stories are being nominated as well as the same authors... It honestly doesn't matter though even if the little people like me raise our voices we still won't be heard and told to shut up... So all in all vote for whoever it doesn't matter... I like the stories people are voting for!

BTW... I've had a pretty bad day... My cat died... RIP Jojo Kitty Butt!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
People have disagreed with you, but no one has told you to shut up. You have a right to your opinion, however the way you're expressing that opinion is a touch offensive. There is a way to express your opinion on the matter without offending anyone, take Heavenli24 as an example.

And why wouldn't people nominate the things they're leaving fb for? It'd be stranger to nominate something you weren't leaving fb for. :| I think the main thing I disagree with you on this point is your assumption that the people nominating have only read the fics they're voting for. When in reality, they've probably looked at the majority of the fics in the genres they like. They just may not have continued reading them if the fics weren't to their taste. You can't expect everyone to enjoy every fic put out there, it doesn't work like that.

Sorry to hear about your cat, that sucks :(
Alison’s Fics

Image
Round 13 Funniest Feedbacker
Round 14 Feedbacker You Follow Around The Board (Stalkers!!)
Round 14 Most Thought Provoking Feedbacker

User avatar
Roswellian117
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: NorCal
Contact:

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by Roswellian117 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:45 pm

You have a right to your opinion, however the way you're expressing that opinion is a touch offensive.
I wasn't trying to be offensive... I was just giving my opinion and I was in an angry mood that day I wrote that and then people did tell me to shut up and my opinion didn't matter because I was a crap writer... It wasn't about me but I was personally attacked and don't appreciate it. I really am sorry if I offended anyone... Writing is a lot of people's outlets and when they get told that the reason they are not being nominated is because they're not good enough it just isn't fair... But nothing in life is ever fair so oh well...

And again I really am sorry... I was upset and vented that day... I didn't mean to cause such controversy or to have people hate on me... I'm sorry again...

User avatar
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:20 am
Location: Northern NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by girl afraid » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:28 am

Roswellian117 wrote: I wasn't trying to be offensive... I was just giving my opinion and I was in an angry mood that day I wrote that and then people did tell me to shut up and my opinion didn't matter because I was a crap writer... It wasn't about me but I was personally attacked and don't appreciate it.
Who told you to shut up? I'm confused because I'm not seeing it on this thread.

Look..I understand in general what you mean by seeing groups of posters online, thinking that they're in a clique. I can't relate too much to the feedback thing because I've only written 4 decidedly crap ficlets (where if one person says it's not too bad, I'm elated, lol) that have never been eligible for nomination. But the general perceived 'clique' thing happens on most boards. Clique might be the wrong word to use. People will seek out others with similar tastes, outlooks or fic expectations and they naturally form friendships, in-jokes and the like. It also just tends to happen when you've been on a board in a fandom for a long time. When I got into the online Roswell fandom in 2004, I knew nobody, knew nothing about ship wars, shipper groups...nothing full stop. It took a few months before I really sort of found my 'place' within the fandom. I think the regulars these days are so approachable and friendly, more so than when I first came onto the scene (maybe because we're more removed from the period in which the show was still airing). I say that as someone who wasn't a total angel and had some misconceptions about other posters. Anyway...some folks might get pissy every now and again in the general discussion areas but everyone seems pretty chilled out and nice. I don't really put myself within a group here at RF as I'm the world's worst feedbacker, I'm reading a few fics now and I've only left some shoddy FB on nibbles2's excellent Crush fic.

Also, I am so sorry to hear about your cat.

Edited to add my own complaint about my incomparable ability to start every sentence with I. It's all about me, me meeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :lol:
it's better to rise than fade away.

Post Reply