Olympics: Anyone else addicted?

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

April
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Olympics: Anyone else addicted?

Post by April »

They always screw over backstrokers when it comes to scheduling the swimming events. Always.

Yeah, my man didn't have the Olympics he wanted to. I mean, compared to last year's world championships, where he just absolutely dominated every single event he was in, this was a letdown for him. But he's got that great personality where he says he fine with it. He even graciously gave credit to Phelps for everything he's accomplished. See, this is why people love Lochte. He's not an ass, unlike some people we've already discussed.

He's already talking about Rio four years from now, so that's awesome, but he says he's definitely going to have to revamp his training and train for some different events, because he'll be 31 at those games.

Well, Lochte definitely wins the title for sexiest Olympian ever, in my eyes at least. Although a lot of the male swimmers are so hot. I know James Magnussen of Australia has had a disappointing Olympics, but he's sexy as hell, too.

You know, I feel like, from the USA perspective, women's gymnastics has undoubtedly been the best story of these games, and I don't know why that still seems to be taking a backseat to Phelps. But whatever. Gabby Douglas = all-around champion! I couldn't be more thrilled.
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
April
Roswell Fanatic

Post by April »

Again, spoilerishness ahead if you haven't already seen . . .

Whoa! Both the American women beach volleyball teams have made it to the finals! Didn't see that one coming! Our male teams were really disappointing this year, but this just couldn't get any better for the women! This has really been a girl power Olympics for USA!

I also just have to mention, I watched the Uneven Bars finals in gymastics last night and was AMAZED at what Great Britain's Elizabeth Tweddle did. I have never seen anything like that before! And before these games, I had never heard of her. So glad she was able to get out there and represent for her country the way she did! All the athletes from the host nation really seem to be rising to the occasion.

And with the vault final the other night . . . I just had a feeling Mikayla Maroney was going to nail her first vault and then mess up the much easier one. Disappointing for her, but she still had an EPIC vault in the team final that will go down in history as probably one of the most--if not the very most--perfect vault ever performed in such a competition.
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

April wrote:I also just have to mention, I watched the Uneven Bars finals in gymastics last night and was AMAZED at what Great Britain's Elizabeth Tweddle did. I have never seen anything like that before! And before these games, I had never heard of her. So glad she was able to get out there and represent for her country the way she did! All the athletes from the host nation really seem to be rising to the occasion.
She's brilliant, isn't she? (Although I'll admit that I've seen her do that particular routine better in other competitions :P)

She's the most successful British gymnast in history... although I'm surprised you haven't heard of her before - she's a 3-time World Champion (twice on Uneven Bars, once on floor), 5-time European Champion (3 times on bars, twice on floor), 1-time Commonwealth Champion on bars, 7-time British Champion and she came 4th on bars in Beijing (even with a score of 16.625!).

She's retiring from the sport now though (she's 27, more than 10 years older than some of the other gymnasts in the bars final). After Beijing there was a question as to whether she would still be fit enough for London 2012 since she was close to the end of her career then, and even just a few weeks ago, she wasn't sure if she would be competing, so it's great that she made it (although we were hoping for the Gold :))

GB are doing amazingly well in the Olympics this year. Although we're never gonna catch up with you guys or China, this is our best medal haul (and most golds) since 1908!
April
Roswell Fanatic

Post by April »

I can't believe they're almost over. :( This is so depressing! *weeps uncontrollably*

I'm looking forward to the next winter Olympics, don't get me wrong, but the summer Olympics are just overall more entertaining to me.

God, and this is all ending right as my summer vacation is ending, too! This SUCKS! *weeps again*
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

I've never been very big on the winter Olympics .....with the BIG exception of the hockey games. I love to watch the hockey games.......BUT.....I'm really really worried there's going to be a terrorist attack at this one in Russia :shock:
April
Roswell Fanatic

Post by April »

I'm loving the addition of the slope-style events at this Olympics. Those are really entertaining to watch.
LuckyMiss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by LuckyMiss »

April wrote:I'm loving the addition of the slope-style events at this Olympics. Those are really entertaining to watch.
I'm enjoying this, too, April, though it's a strange combination of entertaining and terrifying. I feel like every time someone falls down or crashes on the course, they're knocked out...

The Winter Olympics: Striking the fear of God in the hearts of people who don't know how to deal with snow for several decades now... and people who are worry warts...

"There is more day to dawn. The sun is but a morning star."
-Henry David Thoreau-