Twilight

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Twilight

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

I am a HUGE fan of the Twilight Series, but I wasn't as excited about it as the other 3 books (especially the first). I thought that a lot of the romance between Edward and Bella was just not there as in previous books which is what I LOVED. I do think Stephanie tied up a lot of loose ends and I do feel closure to a certain degree.

SPOILER ALERT******

It did get a bit confusing for me when all the vamps showed up. Did anyone feel gipped in regards to Bella and Edward's wedding night??
I didn't need graphic details per say but I was like all the waiting for this???!!!
behrlyliz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrlyliz »

I felt the first book was sort of rushed but I liked it. I got what I wanted. Bella and Edward married and she got her human experience. I thought it was funny when Bella realized she was pregnant and Edward froze in shock. When I got to the second book, I wasn't too thrilled to read it cuz' I didn't want to read chapters of Jacob's POV but surprisingly I liked his book. Sort of irked that he didn't imprint on Leah but I'll live. I also liked the third book but wish there would have been some sort of show down with the Volturi.

Anyway as a whole, I liked the book. I had several WTF moments but it wasn't enough to make me hate it.

Also, I think people are being completely ridiculous with the things they're saying about Stephenie. Especially the complaints of how she didn't stay true to her canon. Isn't the printed text of the book canon and not comments she made?
Team Framing Hanley
My Fics~My Challenges~My Space
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

I agree with your Behrlyliz on not liking the Jacob part at first but then I ended up liking it. I was totally waiting for Jacob to imprint on Leah but I guess maybe thats what Stephanie wanted us to think. Still kinda shocked that it was Rennesme that he imprinted on though. I had very many WTF moments too lol. As for the cannon thing, I dont think the characters strayed THAT much. They seemed the same to me. The only thing that I found strange was that Edward and Bella werent as lovey-dovey with each other and I didnt have many I love Edward to death moments. He was more romantic and said prettier things in the other books...I think. BUT STILL REALLY LIKED IT
CandyDreamQueen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by CandyDreamQueen »

Ok fist I want to start out by saying I like the Twilight series but I was never as huge a fan as most of the other people I know that have read it, so Breaking Dawn did not disappoint me as much as it did some people. But I gotta say, it was weird

I’ve heard a lot of people say that the characters were OOC (out of character) but I don’t really agree with that. I think it was more of a case where the situation seemed OOB (out of book.) Meaning that it wasn’t that the characters were not themselves but they were dealing with a situation that to me seemed to come out of left field from the series.

Honestly after reading Twilight, and even with Bella joking about people thinking she and Edward got married because she was pregnant, I never would in a thousand years have guessed that the story would take the turn it did in Braking Dawn.

SPOILERS::
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

The Baby

Ok so the baby really creeped me out. The descriptions of her talked about how beautiful she was supposed to be and how she didn’t look like a baby but like a little adult…yeah that was just weird. In my head she could never be cute to me. She was FAR too powerful to be a freaking baby. I hate it in books when kids don’t act like kids so this just irked me to no end. Also even with the aging thing she was still ridiculously smart. I mean hunting and reading at 3 months? Come on! Even though she had the appearance of a four year old that is still not developed enough to talk the way she was able to talk and hunt down a freaking lion! I don’t know where Stephanie Meyer got the idea that the image of a baby hunting a lion is somehow NOT creepy.

It is. :x

I also hated that she had a closer relationship with Jacob then she had with Edward. To me there was no real instance where it seemed like Edward was her father. It just seemed like yet another instance of Jacob swooping in on Edwards’s territory so to speak.

On a side note I think Carley would have been a much better first name then Renesme. To me Bella had a closer relationship to Charley and Carlisle in the series then she had to Rene and Esme so I don’t really understand why she named the baby after them.

Jacob

I think Stephanie Meyer really likes Jacob as a character. I did not mind reading his POV so much but I really don’t think there was any reason for a section of the book to be in Jacob’s POV. Definitely not the part that was. If anything this part of the book should have been in Bella’s POV more than any other. By being in Jake’s POV it made the whole baby thing seem creepier than it already was because Jake thought it was creepy. I honestly think I would have been able to deal with it better if that part had been in Bella’s POV. Because she loved the baby and I think it would have been easier for us as readers to see it as less weird if we had been able to see the baby as Bella saw it. But I digress.

I have never been a Team Jacob fan. I actually don’t even like Jacob. I know he is young but I have always found him extremely selfish and way too woe is me over the whole Bella situation. I always hated it whenever the book said stuff like “he was in so much pain” and that the situation was “killing him”. Again, he’s only 17 years old. Being in love was hardly “ Killing him”

Still, that is the way the other books treated it. So, the fact that he imprints with the baby and all of his “Oh Bella I’m so in love with you” feelings just disappear is a load of crap. It’s like what was the point of New Moon and Eclipse if Jacob’s feeling for Bella just magically changed after he imprinted. It made everything they went though seem kinda well…pointless. I’m not saying that I wanted Jacob with Bella, but I just did not find it believable that he would just stop.

Bella

I also was not a big fan of “Super Vampire Bella”. She just never seemed like the same Bella from the other books.

But I am so glad that she thought Jacob imprinting on the baby was weird. Because it was! Especially when he seemed to have so much chemistry with Leah.

Edward

God I love Edward. He is my favorite character in the entire series. But he has got to get a handle on that overreacting thing he does. I mean. Kill the baby and make a new one with Jacob? That’s just a little too much. Even for him.

I mentioned it before but one of the things I hated most was Edward’s lack of a relationship with the baby. She really did not seem like his kid at all and frankly he didn’t seem like her father.

And I hate how Edward is always way too nice to Jacob and acts as if he owes Jacob the world for Bella.

Umm, he doesn’t!

Bella picked Edward, and frankly Jacob was never a good sport about it, so I don’t see how Edward owes Jacob anything. Jacob lost! And I know Jacob would not be so tolerant of any relationship that Edward tried to have with Bella if things had been the other way around. So reading about Edward basically kissing Jake’s ass just really pissed me off.

And I’m not even going to touch on the “my son” thing. (shudders)

Over all. I liked the beginning of this book but by the end I was not feeling it at all. All I can say is that I’m so glad that I was not as huge of a fan of the series as other fans because if I was I would be really upset.
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

CANDYDREAMQUEEN:

And I’m not even going to touch on the “my son” thing. (shudders)

Over all. I liked the beginning of this book but by the end I was not feeling it at all.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!
Itzstacie
Forum Moderator

Post by Itzstacie »

The only thing I liked was the banter between Jacob and Rosalie and at the end of the book when Bella let Edward read her mind and see all of her feelings towards him.
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Very true, when he threw the dog bowl at her, and she would call him dog. I just found that very funny.
Hunter
Forum Moderator

Post by Hunter »

Omg!! I'm almost done with Eclipse and I really really need to watch the movie Twilight now!!
And I need me some good dose of Edward Cullen!! :D :D
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

Boy oh boy I've been missing this forum LOL!! *SPOILER ALERT*

I too read (and picked up my copy at midnight) of Breaking Dawn, I have to agree with someone else who said it wasn't so much they were out of character, it was the book that was out of character. I mean I knew they were all eventually going to end up in danger, all that time would have to end at some point, but for me parts were surreal (even there being wolves and vampires - so that's saying A LOT). I personally enjoyed the Jacob POV that was fun for me to read, and his moments with Edward.

Rosalie and Jacob were fun to read as well, their interation was the light in the dark for most of the book for me. I LOVED the ending, but I agree there weren't hardly enough Edward/Bella moments. I had to keep reminding myself that these books were geared towards teens, so I guess a part of me was torn in the violence (bloody baby gore) and the end which wasn't violent (which is where I was expecting it)...not sure why Stephanie decided not to let it play out. It built up to that point, but then nothing happened. Maybe she's saving it for another book...like Nessie & Jacob's!!! *lol* Sorry I love them! And I would like Nessie to be full grown in 6 1/2 years and then we'd be dealing with teenage/adults once again!

All and all it wasn't the story I was hoping for (read: Edward and Bella having 80 chapters of happiness!!!) but I still did enjoy it.
CandyDreamQueen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by CandyDreamQueen »

Behrsgirl77 yours was the nicest fan review I've seen of the book so far. :D

The Nessie and Jacob thing just freaks me out. I know it's not really all that different from Edward being like 80 something years older than Bella, but I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it. Part of the reason could be that I was never a Jacob fan. Most people I know who read the books didn’t want Jacob with Bella, but they still liked Jacob as a character. I didn’t want him with Bella, and I didn’t particularly like him as a character either. So it just feels to me like yet another girl Jacob is stealing from Edward. :roll:

Also although I agree with you that Rosalie and Jacob were funny together, and Jacob’s point of view was fun to read, I didn’t think the book needed to be in his POV at all. The story just wasn’t enough about him for it to warrant that part of it should be told from his perspective. Besides that, it was Bella’s story! It threw off the vibe of the series I was used to by not being all in her point of view. Hec, it threw me off that the epilogue of Eclipse was in Jacob’s point of view.

So I guess what it all boils down to is…I don’t like Jacob. lol