Things about books that PISS you off!!!

Trade your favorite books and authors here!

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Crystalbehr
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Things about books that PISS you off!!!

Post by Crystalbehr »

I wanna take a moment out to Acknowledge some of the things that annoy us when we read certain books. It can be any book you've read that had something in it that sort of annoyed you or made you stop reading the book

I read a lot of historical Romances so An example would be:

1. In historcial romance novels. The hero will be I dunno maybe twenty-four years old or older. That's cool. What's NOT cool is when the Heroin is like sixteen or seventeen years old and the hero is twenty-four and older. That is like creepy child molestation.

2. I also don't really like when the authors of romance novels make the heroin or hero have kids from a recent marrige. It's uncomfortable and to me it takes away from the story

3. I don't like when authors kill off secondary characters. It's sad and sometimes very unnecessary

4.When the heroin makes the hero think that she betrayed him for someone else OOH.

5. When the back of the book sounds REALLY good but when you read the first 40 pages it SUCKSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Don't judge a book by it's summary apparently.

6. When the people on the covers of the romance novels are UGLY. Or don't look anything like the people in the book.

7. I personally don't like reading books where one of the main characters are handicapped in a terrible way

8. When the Hero is all beautiful and the heroin is like alright and sometimes ugly. Or vice versa.

9. When the heroin is maybe a little overweight and she talks about it throughout the whole damn book. Like it's a fatal Flaw. It's not!!!

10. In historical romances. They will give the hero some"bastards" he didn't know about. In one book the hero had like Seven. Have mercy
Later Days!
Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Wow, what a list! lol :lol:

The thing that annoys me is typos. I'm reading this book at the moment called Trust no one, and there's sooo much typos in it! and it seems to be the same word all the time. Isn't the editors suppose to notice these things before they publish?

Another thing that annoys me in historicals is when they make the heroine who keeps saying she needs to be strong etc, but is in actual fact constantly portrayed as some weakling. :roll: make you wanna jump in the book and give her a slap to wake her up to do something about it. lol
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Angelic Fire (Mature/Adult)
Watching Clouds

LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

Id have to say Ditto to everything that you both said..adding my 2 cents in here I would have to say that I hate it when I read a book and one of the main characters of the fic dies at the end...(think about the movie City of Angels) a few years ago I read a book that did that and I was crying at the end of it..... DONT KILL OFF THE MAIN CHARACTERS!!!!! lol

Also lets see I have to say that I also hate it when the "hero" or whatever is alot older then the love interest....creepy creepy....

OHHH what I really cant stand is when both characters want to be together but dont...that irks me to no end, one character holding back for some reason is one thing, but when both do that..... :x
Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

LovinGuerin2much wrote:Id have to say Ditto to everything that you both said..adding my 2 cents in here I would have to say that I hate it when I read a book and one of the main characters of the fic dies at the end...(think about the movie City of Angels) a few years ago I read a book that did that and I was crying at the end of it..... DONT KILL OFF THE MAIN CHARACTERS!!!!! lol

OHHH what I really cant stand is when both characters want to be together but dont...that irks me to no end, one character holding back for some reason is one thing, but when both do that..... :x

Actually, though as painful as it sometimes is, I actually don't mind if a main character dies, providing that it's for a reason of course ;) not everything can end in happily ever after...... though I've read so many books that DID ebd in happily ever after I was getting pretty tired of it and actually wanted someone to die in the next book I read, for a change! lol :mrgreen:

I was reading this book recently calle Cupid's Kiss, and most of the book all the way through pretty annoyed me cos you know what's going on with the storyline and character relationship, and in a way, the characters did too, yet it just dragged on all the way through the book of them "denying it" (the feelings, attraction etc) right until the end of the book, and then it was like "YES! Finally!!!" *sighs in relief* lol!
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

LOL Amber I feel you on that sometimes you want something to happen you know other then the norm... but that one book I read that I cant remember the name of the author it was like both of them (main characters) had this horrid life and they got together and it was majical then she got prego and he got into a accident and just died... I WAS LIKE @#*) %*_$*#!!! damn it all to hell...lol
Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

LovinGuerin2much wrote:but that one book I read that I cant remember the name of the author it was like both of them (main characters) had this horrid life and they got together and it was majical then she got prego and he got into a accident and just died... I WAS LIKE @#*) %*_$*#!!! damn it all to hell...lol

OMG!! you positively cracked me up on that last line!! :mrgreen:

Geez, that is a frustrating read! I'd love to know what book it was called, or who it's by. Maybe you'll remember it one day and let me know? Yeah, I know I'm insane for trying to find that book now! lol :mrgreen:
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

LOL I read that book about 7 years ago.. umm I dont remember the author, title anything...... lol sorry
Crystalbehr
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Crystalbehr »

Very Sexy Avatar Amber Eyes.

I agree with you LovinGuerin2much. They totally shouldn't kill the main charaters. I mean Romance Novels in particular are created to make you feel good and bask in two people's love. When they kill a hero or heroin that you've been spending 360 + pages getting to know and understand. It's horrible and can ruin the story. Plus there are so many other things that a good author can come up with to make the story more interesting without resulting in the death of the hero or heroin.

Lets go back to that age thing. I read a book recently where the girl was 17 years old. I have a baby sister that age. The guy was 28 that is way too old for a 17 year old in my opinion. She is still a baby. He is grown. It is soooo creepy
Later Days!
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Things about books that PISS you off!!!

Post by Raychelxluscious »

Crystalbehr wrote:I wanna take a moment out to Acknowledge some of the things that annoy us when we read certain books. It can be any book you've read that had something in it that sort of annoyed you or made you stop reading the book

I read a lot of historical Romances so An example would be:

1. In historcial romance novels. The hero will be I dunno maybe twenty-four years old or older. That's cool. What's NOT cool is when the Heroin is like sixteen or seventeen years old and the hero is twenty-four and older. That is like creepy child molestation.
Actually....Heh heh...That doesn't bother me so much, because I know that's the way it was back then. However, like, 24 and 16/17 would upset me, so I completely agree on that aspect.

2. I also don't really like when the authors of romance novels make the heroin or hero have kids from a recent marrige. It's uncomfortable and to me it takes away from the story
Ehh, this is another aspect that doesn't really bother me. There HAVE been a book or two when it has - because the kids have been dopes, but sometimes I really like it. =) It can have potential for sweetness...

3. I don't like when authors kill off secondary characters. It's sad and sometimes very unnecessary
This I am in COMPLETE agreement with. I can't stand it when that happens1 I know SOMETIMES it's necessary - it gives the story some kind of emotional appeal or element, but DARN IT, I get attached to those characters, don't kill 'em!
4.When the heroin makes the hero think that she betrayed him for someone else OOH.
Eh, not so much. I mean, yeah, sometimes she's making a sacrafice, but sometimes she needs to be a smidge selfish, and be like - hey, he's mine - take a step back. It's really unecessary to break his heart for no reason...

However, this is where I get weird, I can sometimes handle it when other people make it appear that she betrayed him. Like, an outside force - a jealous ex or something. That kind of adds a little angst to the story that I like. As long as it gets fixed and it's not too angsty.

Wow, I'm weird.

5. When the back of the book sounds REALLY good but when you read the first 40 pages it SUCKSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Don't judge a book by it's summary apparently.
Arrrgh! I know! Except, for me, it was 40 pages, it was a 116! But I'm really glad I stuck it out - it got a whole lot better after that.
6. When the people on the covers of the romance novels are UGLY. Or don't look anything like the people in the book.
You know, I just don't like people on my covers at all. No people, please. Just give me a pretty picture to look at - like a flower or something, lol - and I'm set. I WANT to have the preconceived notion of what they are going to look like. I don't want someone to do that for me.
7. I personally don't like reading books where one of the main characters are handicapped in a terrible way
Another, eh...I kind of like it. It makes things a lot difficult - it gives the couple a disadvantage.

Catherine Anderson is actually really good at that. A lot of her characters of disabilities - some type that seem to be no way around - but she find it. And it's really heart felt. =) I like it a little bit.

8. When the Hero is all beautiful and the heroin is like alright and sometimes ugly. Or vice versa.
I'm definitely one of those people who like to read about attractive characters. Though, there have been a few exceptions where the features of a character are skewed - and that's okay too.

But, yeah, I definitely prefer for the characters to be attractive...Does that mean I'm shallow? =)

9. When the heroin is maybe a little overweight and she talks about it throughout the whole damn book. Like it's a fatal Flaw. It's not!!!
Yeah, that irks me as well. I'm mean, get over it. This guy likes you - even if you are a little fuller than most. That's okay!
10. In historical romances. They will give the hero some"bastards" he didn't know about. In one book the hero had like Seven. Have mercy
LOL! I have never come across THAT one yet, but I'm sure it will irk me as well.

I really don't have anything to add. Though, for the most part, I had some objections, but I can totally see where this could be annoying - I even agreed with some.

It makes me want to read through some of my novels and pick out little annoying things. =)

Raychel
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
CandyDreamQueen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by CandyDreamQueen »

Okay, here we go. All of mine pertain to Romance Novels, since that’s all that I really read. But first to comment on what all you guys said. I don’t ever think there is a good reason to kill off the main characters. Like Crystal said it kinda makes the book pointless. Especially when the characters had to struggle to be together in the first place. The older thing really irks me. I know that it’s supposed to be keeping with the historicalness of the book, but come on, if you can make the people take baths everyday, (which they didn’t) then you can make the girl a little bit closer to the guys age. And then there are some contemporary books that have the guy way older then the girl too. What their excuse?

1) (This happened in a book I just finished, it was A Very Gothic Christmas, so if you’re going to read it then don’t read this.) When the guy travels forwards in time and falls in love with the girl, then he has to go back to his own time period and the girl ends up with his ancestor. Ahhhhh, I hate that, I don’t care how much they look alike, he is not the same guy.

2) When the heroin is a wuss. I.E when the guy has a mistress and she’ll make little snide remarks to the heroin and she just sits there and takes it. Defend yourself girl!!!

3) When the guy is really mean throughout the whole book, and then he’s just suddenly nice and in love with the girl. I mean come on, that’s just bad writing. Oh and why is it that in these books, he is always the meanest to the girl, but everyone else adores him?

4) When the guy and girl spend a substantial amount of time away from each other. It’s one thing to say that he went somewhere for six months, but it’s another thing to actually have him not in the book for six chapters. I read this one book where the guy and girl didn’t meet until page 80. Page 80! I don’t see how they can be in love when they behrly even spent time together.

5) When you read a book that’s really good in the beginning and then in the middle it just turns really bad. I hate that. It makes me mad when I’m reading a book and it’s sooo good, then they make all the worst possible things happen.

6) When the hero or heroin sleeps with somebody else in the book. There is only one time that this is acceptable, and that is at the beginning of the book before they meet. I just don’t like it.

7) I hate it when the guy or girl has been in love with another person before and they died. I know that sometimes it is the plot of the story but I just hate it because if the guy was in love before then the girl will spend the whole book comparing how he feels about her to how he felt about his other love.

8 ) Okay, when the guy and girl had a relationship before the book started, where the girl got pregnant, but didn’t tell him, and she has a kid that she lets him think is someone else’s. That’s just a mean thing to do.

9) This is a sort of weird one, and I don’t know if you all are going to know what I’m talking about, but when the guy refuses to believe the girl about something no matter how much what she says is proven to be true. Do you know what I mean? I can’t think of an example right now but I know that it’s happened in a few books that I have read. I don’t mind if he doesn’t believe her about something for a little while, but when he goes through the whole book not believing her it gets annoying, especially when it’s been proven several times that she is not lying.

10) WHEN THEY ARE RELATED!!!! That’s just gross! Need I say more? It’s worse then the age thing. Again, I know that it is supposed to be keeping with the historicalness of the book, but come on, who wants to read about incest?