Hidden (AU, M/L & others, Teen/Mature) Part 7 9/27 {WIP}

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Hidden (AU, M/L & others, Teen/Mature) Part 7 9/27 {WIP}

Post by Kristy »

Title:Hidden
Author: Kristy
Rating: Teen/Mature
Disclaimer: I own nothing at all. Except new characters, which have been made up in my own weird mind.
Summary: Max and Liz both live in New York. How are their lives in this AU life?
Banner: Was my crappy attempt ... on paint ....

Sun shone brightly through the open window to cast itself upon the two lovers that entwined themselves together in bed. The girl shifted slightly, and slowly buried her head deeper inside the crook of her lover’s arm. He held her closer to him, as if knowing their time in bed was short and wanting to be closer to his lover. Slowly her eyes fluttered open. With a sigh, she turned toward the clock. 8:12. She had to be at work in half an hour. She sat up in bed and slowly shook off her sleepiness. As she began to rise from the bed, two strong arms pulled her back down.

With a little laugh she batted his hands away playfully. “Honey, I have to be at work soon.” Her voice betrayed her wanting to be strong, as it came out more as a whine than a way of putting him into place. His arms pulled her to him once again.

“No,” he muttered, his eyes still closed and his voice filled with sleep. “Stay. Sleep.” She gently closed her eyes. The option was more than tempting, but …

“I have to go. The hospital needs me. The new chief of staff is arriving today and …” her plea was cut off by a searing kiss. She slowly sunk down to the bed with him, but her conscience got the better of her. She quickly stood up and began to dress. A groan came from the bed and she smirked, refusing to look at him, knowing if she did, she wouldn’t get anything done today.

“Please?” he said sleepily, his eyes finally open to rest at hers. Amber eyes pleading with the others, which were also pleading. Then he slumped back into the bed. “Fine!”

She giggled at him. Most of the time, he was this big, strong, leader-type manly man, but then there were times, like this morning, where he could just be like a baby.

As she moved to attach her badge, she caught a glimpse at the magnificent diamond on her hand. He had proposed the night before. It was absolutely stunning. The ring had a large princess cut diamond with tiny pink diamonds on either side with a platinum band. With another sigh, she approached her fiancé and leaned down to give him a kiss.

“I love you. I’ll be back soon. I just need to meet the new chief of staff and check on the little girl from the night before,” she said warmly. He tucked a strand of her chocolate brown hair behind her ear and nodded. He watched her closely as she left. She was really a compassionate person, which could be hard for someone working in the county’s emergency room. The past week a little girl had come in after a cousin had shot both her and her mother, leaving them for dead. The mother had been DOA, but the little girl had pulled through. But, unfortunately, she still was in a coma. The girl’s father hadn’t left her bedside in days, and his fiancé had done nothing but try and help. He loved her with all his being, and things like that just reassured her that she was the one for him. He couldn’t wait to get married.

While still fixing her outfit, she heard a familiar voice gossiping. She turned her head up at smiled at the sight. Her blonde-haired, green-eyed friend was loudly gossiping with a male resident by the name of … she believed it was Henry. As soon as she saw her, she squealed and ran to grab her hand.

“Oh my God! He gave it to you!” She screamed. She should have known her friend would have helped her now fiancé. She couldn’t care less, however, and grinned right back at her.

“I couldn’t believe it. I knew he loved me, but I didn’t think he was anywhere near ready to be married! I’m so happy!” she exclaimed.

“I’m happy for you, chica,” she said with a big grin. Then she shifted her eyes back and forth and then returned to hers, a mischievous glint in her eye. “Too bad, though, chica. The new chief of staff is a FOX! I mean, he may be old enough to be my father, but damn, he doesn’t look it, and that man is fine! Do you think seventeen years is too big of a stretch for me?”

She shook her head with a little laugh. “It hasn’t stopped you before,” she pointed out. Just as she was about to gush more, a throat was cleared behind them.

“Listen, ladies, I know you must gossip, but can we save it for later? We’re all to go to the front desk to meet the new chief,” the man said. His name was Dr. Molay, and everyone knew him because of his reputation of being very laid-back, for a doctor, that is. Both girls nodded, and made their way there.

A frail old man, Dr. Spiff, the former chief of staff, asked the staff to line up. “Ladies and gentlemen,” he began coolly. “It was a pleasure to have worked with you all.” Beside her, her friend snorted. “I must now resign. In my place, is a doctor all the way from Los Angeles, California. I will now present to you all, Dr. Evans.” The staff clapped, as a man in his late thirties came beside Dr. Spiff.

Her eyes instantly grew wide. “No, no, no, no, no!” she thought wildly, and began looking for an escape. But now he was in front of her, his hand forward, asking her name. She took in a shuddering breath and didn’t meet his eyes, nor did she shake his hand. It would then become obvious. She muttered out her name then quickly went off in a different direction. She ran until she reached the staff lockers, and there she broke down. She slammed her fist into her locker and then slid down. She refused to cry. She refused.

TBC....hmmm....curious?
Last edited by Kristy on Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 2

Post by Kristy »

Here's part 2.

Disclaimer: I do not own any song by Maroon 5, including "The Sun" but I do own the character of Ryan.

A/N: Don't know how often I can update this. I was slow this post, however, because I graduated (YEA FREEDOM) and I got sick. But I'll try to update somewhat quickly. And, wow, and here I was thinking some of this was obvious! Thanks for the feedback! And, sorry, but not much else answered here...

She didn’t want to go home.

Going home, she would have to face her fiancé.

She really didn’t feel like explaining why she was so upset. She couldn’t handle the questions right now. She couldn’t handle the pity or anger or any other emotion that might come from him. She wouldn’t be able to deal even with his never-ending love. She was completely overwhelmed dealing with her own emotions. It was just too hard.

No, she couldn’t go to him now, not in this state of mind.

So instead, she ran.

She left the hospital almost immediately after she collapsed in the locker room. She didn’t even check on her patient. It hadn’t occurred to her, but she also couldn’t have been in that room, to feel the pain in that now so small, so broken family.

Now she ran.

She had run around the park at least eight times and was far from being tired. It had been hours. Not that it mattered to her.

When she ran, she could concentrate only on that. There was no time to think of him. That he was there. That he could have recognized her. That her happy life could be turned upside down by one man.

Why was he a doctor at her hospital? Why did he have to come to New York? Why did he violate her safe zone? Her little nest of comfort? Why couldn’t she still be hidden?

The thoughts grasped her all at once. Suddenly it was hard to breathe. She could feel the build up of power inside of her, and forced down a sob. She quickly found a bench and sat down.

“Breathe, just breathe. You just have to breathe. Then it will calm down,” she thought to herself, slowly inhaling and exhaling. She could feel the tight knot of energy that had been building smooth itself out. She could feel herself returning to normal.

Then his face entered her mind again. She buried her face in her hands and the lamppost next to her flickered out and then shattered. Shards of glass fell all around her, but she remained unharmed because of the halo of protection around her. Then she began to sob. She curled into a little ball on the bench and just cried.

That’s how her fiancé found her, finally, hours later.

He chose to say nothing, ask nothing. He just held her. Just as she needed.

She woke up in her bed, unsure of how she got there. Then she felt her fiancé’s arms wrapped around her. She offered a small smile, seeing his eyes open and awake. There was a question hidden in those depths, but she was unsure if she could answer them.

Slowly, she rose from the bed. She didn’t have to go to the hospital today, which left only some comfort in her heart. She would eventually have to return. She loved it there, and didn’t want to leave, no matter how scary it was to have him there.

She felt somewhat violated, being that he had suddenly invaded her happy life. She almost laughed at that thought. ‘Invaded’ was a term she didn’t use too often, but it seemed ironic, using it for him.

Ryan pulled her close when he understood she wouldn’t say more. She looked up at him from her space underneath his arm. She loved him so much. More than anything else in this world, or any other for that matter. So why did his presence turn everything upside down?

“It’ll be okay. I know it will. Simply with the fact that we’re going to pull through … whatever this is, together,” he said and gave her a kiss on the top of her head.

A small smile appeared on her lips. God, she loved him. She nodded against his chest and then began to cry.

Why did he have to be so understanding? It made it that much harder not to tell him everything, but then it would just be too much hurt for her to go through. She couldn’t even play out the whole thing in her head, let alone try explaining it to someone else.

Her power still coursed through her. Well, it always did, but it felt worse when she was upset. Ryan knew it and was desperately trying to put her at ease. His hand brushed her hair back like a mother would do to her children when they were sick.

He had always been sweet with her. They had known each other since they were five, when her mother moved into the apartment across from his parents. She had cried that day because she didn’t want to move; she had liked her old home. So he had gone to her and held her close and told her stories about the neighbors to comfort her and to take her mind away from the things that made her sad. Ever since that day, they became inseparable. Though they hadn’t known it then, they fell in love that day, even as little kids.

She buried her head into his chest further as more tears formed in her eyes. “I love you, Ryan,” she said softly. “But … I just … can’t right now,” she explained. She felt him nod against her and continue his comforting. A slow, sad smile stretched across her face through her tears as he began to softly sing an old Maroon 5 song that they had loved.

“I cannot forget, refuse to regret, so glad I met you. Take my breath away, make everyday worth all of the pain that I have gone through,” he sang tenderly to her.

He was just what she needed. She would be able to make it through this with him. He knew how to make her happy.
TBC
Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 3

Post by Kristy »

I'm afraid that this part will either be more confusing or too revealing...

Part 3

She walked into work that next morning, wishing that she had chosen to call in sick, even resign. But she loved her work too much, couldn’t let him change every aspect of her life and destroy what she loved.

Her best friend looked at her in question, but she shook off the look and continued to the charts.

Had it been any other man, she would have wondered how he became Chief of Staff so young, or why the hospital had wanted him so badly. But she could guess. She, of course, knew of his powers and figured he had used them in certain situations. It was the only thing she could process in that facet that wouldn’t make her insane. If she thought of him only in a scientific way she was okay. She wouldn’t be close to another breakdown.

She walked into her patient’s room, the father still near her bedside, his eyes filled with tears. She looked on, feeling dazed.

Would this have been if … ?

No, she couldn’t think that way.

She continued on to the chart and sighed at what she saw. There was improvement in the little girl. Her brain waves were stronger and there was more color in her face when she glanced at her. She told her father so and he thanked her tearfully. Once again, she looked upon the little family. The similarities between father and daughter were apparent. They had the same dark hair and some same features. When he had shown her a picture of his daughter, a grand, full smile upon her face, there were more similarities; their eyes, for one. She hoped there would be enough strength in the tiny family to be happy once again after such a tragedy.

She patted the man on the shoulder and walked out of the room.

Suddenly a wave of dizziness attacked her and she held the doorframe to steady herself. She gulped in a few deep breaths, wondering where the hell it came from. She took a slow step forward, then another. Thinking she was okay, she began to walk steadily again. Once again she was hit with the dizziness and began to sway.

‘Oh, no,’ she thought, feeling as if she were in slow motion, seeing the floor come closer. Suddenly strong arms held her up and close. She struggled to take a few more deep breaths, this time the dizziness not fading. She looked up to thank her savior, but once she saw him, promptly fainted.

Max looked, fairly confused, at the young nurse in his arms. He didn’t know what had happened to her, but had seen her struggling for consciousness in the hallway.

He quickly adjusted her in his arms and told an intern to get a gurney. He looked down at her and noticed that it was the same nurse to run from the meeting two days prior. She confused him entirely. She had obviously known him, but she was only vaguely familiar to him. He looked up and saw a young blonde woman rushing to them.

“Oh my God! What happened to her?” she cried, brushing the hair off of her friend’s face. He shook his head and her friend grasped her hand.

“This hasn’t happened before?” he asked, hoping it wasn’t serious. He still had many questions for her.

She vigorously shook her head, blond hair flying everywhere. “No! I’ve never even seen her sick!” she cried. Max’s eyes narrowed at that. He looked again to the unconscious nurse, this time with wariness and a bit of apprehension.

Then he shook it off. It meant nothing, as she was obviously sick now. He was being as suspicious as Michael.

He hadn’t thought of Michael in a long time, not as much, really, since the year of his death so long ago. Why is it that this nurse had made him think of his lost friend?

He placed the girl on the gurney and ordered blood work to find what was wrong with her, as well as several other tests. The girl paled significantly.

“I’ll take this to the lab,” she said, quickly snatching the blood sample that had just been drawn, then rushed off. He stared after her suspiciously, wondering if his first instinct had indeed been correct.

TBC ... so, what d'ya think? I'm I more evil, or nicer? hmmmm..... something to ponder .... hehehe!
Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 4

Post by Kristy »

Officially a college student now!! hehe!

Wow, and here I thought it would be too revealing! hahaha! I'm so evil. This is the part where I cease to be ... at least, I think .... Perhaps it's not the answer you thought it to be .... Hope you enjoy!

Part 4

She woke to sounds of machines going, a heart monitor, and others. She reached up and felt an IV go with her, and then felt the flow of oxygen go through her nostrils. She opened her eyes wider to see Ryan. She smiled at him, and he squeezed her hand and smiled back. She swallowed thickly, trying to get the dryness out of her mouth.

“Do they know what’s wrong yet?” she asked, her voice filled with sleep. He began to shake his head then looked up toward the door expectantly. She looked, then quickly her eyes bounced away. She heard his steps as he entered the room.

“So, I see you are awake. Great, you’re just in time for the results,” she heard him say, but she refused to look up. His next question was delivered to Ryan. “Are you family?” he asked.

“He will be,” she answered, and then slowly pulled herself up, her eyes still refusing contact.

“Okay,” he said. She could feel his eyes, questioning, on her, and then they flickered away.

“So, what’s wrong with me, Doc?” she asked, her voice dry and humorless.

He glanced quickly over the chart, she noticed out of the corner of her eye. “Well, it seems that the only test that came back positive was for pregnancy.”

Finally her eyes turned toward his in shock.

“Congratulations, you’re three months pregnant.”

“What?” she asked incredulously. She looked down to her still flat belly in wonder. She covered it with her hand, caressing it lovingly.

Then she looked to Ryan, her eyes shining with happy tears. He hugged her tightly, his face still in shock. She barely noticed the other leave the room at that moment. They cried and laughed together as he peppered kisses all over her face. She knew it was possible, had ignored the warning signs, passing them off as stress.

She was deliriously happy. She was going to have a family with the love of her life.

She was having a baby.

If only it hadn’t been her estranged father to deliver the news.

“Ami!” her friend squealed as she enter the room, complete with a Congratulations balloon and a stuffed bear. She laughed at her friend’s antics and knew already how much the baby would be spoiled by its aunt. May hugged Ryan first and then Anna Maria. She hugged her friend tightly back and laughed.

Ryan smiled. “I’ll leave you two to girl talk,” he said. May waved her hand to shoo him away then thought better of it and shoved the giant Teddy bear into his arms.

“Take that with you,” she said then turned away from him in a rush. Ryan left with a good-natured smile upon his face, as well as the huge grin left from hearing the news.

“So, I guess news travels pretty fast in this hospital,” Anna Maria stated, her own grin stretched across her face. May shrugged and flashed a huge smile.

“I have my ways,” she said, her eyes twinkling. “By the way, if you were wondering, everything’s all clear on the Czechs note.”

Before Anna Maria could even begin to worry or comment on what the “note” entailed, May continued. “I cannot believe you ignored your body, girl!” she reprimanded. “Ami’s gonna have a baby!” she sang and did a little dance by her bed. Anna Maria laughed.

Suddenly with the happiness she was feeling, she could see the comedy in the situation that had almost broken her. The emotion was an odd mix of humor and grief.

She leaned close to her friend’s ear. “My dear cousin, do you realize that you thought your uncle was a hottie?” she whispered. May looked at her in question. Anna Maria just stared right back.

“My uncle?” she asked. Ami nodded. May’s eyes grew wide.

“The chief?” she whispered, her eyes wide. Once again she nodded. Without one word more, May swooped down to give her best friend, her cousin, a much-needed hug. There, they remembered and began to cry together.

TBC

Well, did I ever SAY that it was Maria and Liz???? More questions to be answered, and will be ... in due time. Next Part: Max's side.
Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 5

Post by Kristy »

Wow you guys! Thank you SO much for your feedback! I was woried that I lost readers by being gone so long! I love you guys!!! Kisses to all of you who replied and hugs to those who lurk (I admit, I lurk as well, so extra props to Lizza for leaving lurkdom).

Anyway, quite a few things are cleared up here with Max's perspective. I tried to give you guys a better understanding of his actions, so he is not completely condemned, though he makes HUGE mistakes. Don't hate me for what I erased or what I added, hehehe!! A lot of things are more eluded to here, but don't worry, I'm not tricking you this time ... or am I? LOL!

Part 5

Max walked into his expensive apartment in a daze. The sterile environment of white carpet and black leather did not speak to the man he was, but since it was expected, he owned it.

He walked to the bar and poured himself a drink. He never really allowed himself to drink. He had bought the little bar just for show. The whole apartment was for show.

But today, he needed one. Today he remembered his dear friend.

It had been so long ago that they had met that second time. The first, of course, was right after they had emerged from the pods. It had been only a brief meeting, where they had soon parted. But the second time was far more memorable.

After school
Walking home
Fresh dirt under my fingernails

They had just entered the third grade. Max had seen the girl he always watched be picked on by three older boys. They were making fun of her for some reason or another. He had stood up for her, and then the others were messing with him, pushing him around, reprimanding him for his standing up for a girl. Michael had stepped in and helped the two of them, or rather punched the biggest one in the nose so the others would run away.

And I can smell hot asphalt
Cars screech to a halt to let me pass

He had been suspended for a week, and after that, they had all been friends. Liz had only been included in trivial things, playing dodgeball, where Alex and Maria were included, and the occasional movie, because she didn’t know the secret. She remained far enough away not to understand the difference in the boys but close enough to not realize that Max loved her.

And I cannot remember
What life was like through photographs

For Max, it was Michael that he really listened too, looked up to, and respected. He was his brother, in all respects of the word, as it turned out.

Trying to recreate images life gives us from our past

Michael was convinced that nobody would care for them anymore if they knew their secret. Even if they did, they would be in grave danger because of who, or rather what, they were. He said they could only depend on one another. Max lived by that rule for a long time, even with the vague inclusion of Liz.

Moving on down my street
I see people I won’t ever meet

That didn’t stop Max from saving Liz’s life, however, when she was shot at her father’s restaurant.

He had to tell her then. He was terrified when he told her. The only one that knew was Michael, and he was an alien too so it wasn’t that different.

When she accepted him, loved him even, he was overjoyed. He never thought it was possible. To have someone love him so unconditionally and so passionately was only a dream, but with Liz it had become real.

Think of her, take a breath

The only thing to fear then was her safety, then the safety of Maria and Alex, when they demanded that Liz tell them the truth. So he tried to listen to the second half of the advice, and kept away from her love even though it was killing them both.

Feel the beat in the rhythm of my steps

At some point between fighting for anonymity and safety, they gravitated toward each other, Michael to Maria and Max to Liz. Alex always said that he felt like the odd man out.

They had finally become true couples when the worst happened.

Sometimes it’s a sad song

Michael got sick. No one knew how to help him, how to save him. The hospital was out of the question, and Max could do nothing with his powers that could help.

It was a cold, dreary December day that Michael died. Maria had cried the hardest when the breath had finally left his body. She had yelled at him for leaving her, and then held onto Alex and Liz. Max was too much in shock to cry.

But I cannot forget

Michael’s body disintegrated into dust, so the funeral was also held in the dank cave where he died on the same evening. Alex had said a few hushed words, and then his friend was lost forever.

Max didn’t remember walking home. He just remembered the feeling of Liz’s warm, so wonderfully alive, body leading them there.

Refuse to regret

When they entered his room, Max collapsed in her arms. There, they both cried. Max held her body close. He needed to feel that she was indeed there, alive. He had caressed her face, wiped tears from her eyes. Then he began to kiss them away. He needed to feel alive as well, so his lips sought hers.

So glad I met you

They made love that night. And even in their grief, both would think of those few hours they had spent in each other’s arms as the best they had ever spent. After she fell asleep, he watched her just to make sure she was still there.

Take my breath away

As he did, he thought that maybe they could make it through this. That maybe they’d be okay eventually. He wasn’t alone. Liz loved him.

Make everyday
Worth all of the pain that I have gone through

Then she began to toss and turn, even whimper in her sleep and he knew she was having a nightmare. He had gently brushed the hair away from her face until she had relaxed back into sleep.

A few wet spot appeared on her pillow and it was only then that he knew that he was crying once again. He decided he couldn’t let her be his crutch. If nothing else, Michael dying had proved how unpredictable and dangerous their lives were, and he couldn’t live knowing that something could happen to Liz just because she knew him, because she loved him.

And mama I’ve been cryin’
‘Cause things ain’t how they used to be

He had fallen into a very fitful sleep, in unconsciousness grasping her to him. Neither in sleep noticed that underneath his palm, on her abdomen, lay a faint, soft glow.

She said the battles almost won
And we’re only several miles from the sun

He was too much of a coward to break up with her right away. Instead, he locked himself in his room for days, mourning the loss of his brother and the soon loss of his love. When he finally did, she seemed to have already seen it coming. She gave him one last kiss and then turned away from him.

The perfection of her creation

A month later Tess rolled into town. He was still grieving and the appearance of one of his own, one who knew what it was like was a miracle.

He had had no one else, and now this woman who knew everything.

It was all too easy for her to have him fall into her trap.

Hate to love and love to hate her
Like a broken record player

She told him of their past life, where Michael was his brother and she was his wife. She told him they were meant to be. She warped his mind and made him dependant on her. She made him turn completely away from the people he had called friends and lover.

The next thing he knew, Alex was dead and she was pregnant. He had sent her off into space for her treachery and been more alone than before.

Back and forth and here and gone
And on and on and on and on

Not much later he found a message that said that Tess had made it to Antar, but both she and her unborn son had died.

Liz and Maria, in their grief of both Michael’s death and who he had become, had fled town.

He was utterly alone and had no one to blame but himself.

He had poured himself into work, refusing to remember Michael, Maria, Alex, Tess, his dead son, and especially Liz. He had made his way to the top of the medical field, but still was nowhere near happy. The only time that he felt close to it was when he remembered how it was in Liz’s arms, but those days were long since past.

But I cannot forget
Refuse to regret
So glad I met you
Take my breath away
Make everyday
Worth all of the pain that I have
Gone through

Once again, he had to wonder, why had these memories been dredged up by the sight of those two nurses?

She said the battles almost won
And we’re only several miles from the sun

TBC.... better? Edited to add song lyrics.....I don't own Maroon 5's "The Sun"
Last edited by Kristy on Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 6

Post by Kristy »

Whoops. I told you NOT to hate me for my changes, lol. Nah, I'm just kidding. And, c'mon, I've fooled you before, maybe I'll fool you agin....hehehe! I'm pure evil, yes. Thank you so much, Lizza, for saying that. I'm not sure it;s true, but thanks. :) Well, here's more questions answered....

Part 6

Anna Maria softly knocked on the office door, her eyes, as usual in his presence, downcast. She heard a gruff voice tell her to come in and she hesitantly did so.

“You wanted to see me, Dr. Evans?” she asked, her voice almost cracking. He motioned for her to sit and she slowly did.

“I just wanted to see if you had talked with your doctor about your pregnancy and if you should still be working in this environment,” he said, his voice concerned.

Anna Maria blew out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding and visibly relaxed. “Oh, yes, I did actually. She gave me some prenatal vitamins and told me that I had a drop in blood pressure because of stress which led to the fainting, but I should be fine to continue working,” she said in a rush, knowing she was rambling, a characteristic more of May, but didn’t care. She took a deep breath and look down at her lap. “Thank you, by the way.”

He seemed surprised by her thanks, but quickly recovered and told her it was no problem.

“Are you sure you should continue working? It seems as though you might be taking on too much. I have you logged for over sixty hours last week, and you worked five days. That’s quite a workload,” he said.

“And to become a Chief of Staff at thirty-eight hasn’t given you ‘quite a workload’? I’m fine. I’ll cut back in my hours and then take my leave. I just wasn’t listening to my body last week,” she said, her voice going from harsh to quiet.

He nodded slowly, and then seemed to study her for a moment. “If the job’s giving you too much stress, I can confidently say you can even cut back to half your workload and still make enough. Take it easy. If anything, you should know from your fainting spell what stress does.”

She looked up, but still didn’t look at his eyes. “It isn’t just the job, with all due respect,” she stated bluntly.

He nodded again. “Yes, I have heard that your mother is ill. Just know that the hospital is more than willing an able to let you have more time off. You still have all your sick and vacation days, as well as your maternity leave when the time comes,” he said, making sure she understood.

She had paled at the mention of her mother, whom she had never placed into the equation of having him around. She shuddered. It was quite unnerving to hear him talk about her. To him, it was as if talking about a stranger, but Anna Maria knew better.

She realized he was waiting for a reaction, and nodded. She got up and began to leave.

“Anna? May I ask how you knew my age?” he asked.

She closed her eyes, having not noticed the slip. Then she realized just how much he didn’t know her. At the attempt of being familiar, he had been mistaken. She was never Anna. It was either Anna Maria or Ami, nothing else.

“It’s Anna Maria, Dr. Evans. And I guess the gossip world is still vibrant,” she answered vaguely and then left.

But she had, in fact, answered incorrectly, and he knew it. He worked under the pretense that he was forty, having forged with his powers, among other things, birth certificates so that he could enter the second year of college two years earlier. He now knew for sure that there was something going on with the suspicious nurse.

The sounds of heart monitors and respirators were the most prominent in this side of the hospital. Anna Maria tearfully looked down at her mother, wishing she were there for her during this hard time. She had been sick for nearly a year, but no one knew what was wrong with her. She drifted in and out of sleep continuously, and sometimes for weeks there would only be silence in the room. As she held her mother’s hand, however, this became one of the times she awakened.

“Hey, honey,” she said groggily and gave a sad smile. Anna Maria smiled back and squeezed her hand. Then deep lines etched her mother’s face. “What’s wrong, sweetie?”

With that, she burst into tears. Her mother’s frail arms wrapped around her as she sobbed and she brushed her hair back. “Mommy, he’s here,” she said, her voice almost incoherent. Liz pulled her daughter back and looked into her eyes.

“Who’s here, Ami?” she asked, her dark eyes questioning her daughter’s sad amber ones.

“The new chief of staff is him, Mommy,” she said, her voice pitiful. Still confused, she urged her daughter to continue by squeezing her hand just slightly. Anna Maria took in a deep gulp of air.

“Mommy, it’s Max,” she whispered. Liz’s eyes grew wide and then she held her daughter close. One word passed her mind, but she quickly brushed it away to concentrate on keeping her daughter close. Destiny would have nothing to do with her life.

“Oh, honey. It’ll be okay. He doesn’t know, darling, and he doesn’t have too if you don’t want him to. Sweetie, it’s okay. I know Ryan, May, and myself are there for you,” she said in a hushing tone. She gently rubbed her daughter’s back so that she could calm.

Suddenly her daughter’s head drew up, and a slow, sad smile crossed her face. “He told me some good news, though, Mom. Me and Ryan are gonna have a baby.” Liz smiled at that, knowing how much it meant for her daughter. It also meant a lot for her. She would be able to know that her baby was having a baby, maybe get a chance to be a grandmother before she passed.

Liz was not in any doubt of her condition. She knew any day could be her last.

She touched her daughter’s abdomen and saw a tiny glow emit. She smiled at the sight and her eyes glazed over in memory.

“That’s how I found out I was pregnant with you,” she laughed slightly. “I was sitting in a booth at my father’s restaurant, waiting for Maria. I had actually just come crawling back into the booth from the bathroom. Just wait until you get morning sickness,” she said, a slow smile passing across her face as she reminisced. She pushed her daughter’s hair back, and Anna Maria brushed the tears from her face and settled in the chair to listen.

She spent all her waking moments telling her daughter, well, everything. It would often be interrupted, whether by nurses coming to check on her or bouts of tiredness or coughing. Like any other day, her daughter was engrossed in her story telling, however.

“I had just slipped back into the booth, feeling miserable. Not just because of the sickness, but because Tess had arrived at that point and was spending every second draped over your father.” She shuddered at the memory of Tess, then continued.

“I was just sitting there, when another wave of nausea came upon me. I held my hand to my stomach and leaned over, ready to lose everything I ate if necessary, when I noticed a glow, like that one, under my palm. I had no idea what it meant, so I just stared. Then Maria came bursting through the doors and dragged me up to my room. She was crying, but very silently for Maria.

“Then she showed me her pregnancy test. There was a big, fat plus sign on it. I guess I just remember it being so big because of what it meant for her, at just sixteen, with the father recently passed on.

“I tried to reassure her, tell her that it might be a false positive. She shook her head so vigorously, I remember thinking she would get whiplash. Then she showed me the glow, and told me that it meant for sure that she was pregnant.” There she sighed slightly and patted Ami’s hand.

“Maria told me that all the blood had drained from my face. I remember being so scared as I lifted my own shirt and showed her my own glow. I was sixteen myself, your father almost seventeen and moved on to another woman. It just was an awful situation for both of us, most girls our age and in our situation might have had abortions. But the thought never entered our minds, not even for a second.” She looked pointedly to her daughter at that, and Anna Maria smiled her understanding.

“We both had our own reasons, I’m sure. For Maria, May became her only link to Michael and the love that they had shared. For me, it was nearly the same reason, but I knew that I loved you too much already to ever give you away. Also, I missed the man your father used to be, and you became the symbol of that man and our love. You became my beacon of hope.” She paused and closed her eyes tightly in pain. Ami pressed the button on her IV to give her some medication, and patted her mother’s hand, the roles switching slightly in her pain. Liz sighed heavily, then continued.

“I did try to tell your father. I came to him one evening because Maria convinced me that because the father of my child was alive, that he should know. This was slightly after Alex had ‘died,’ and we were all grieving still. She said life was too short to keep such things quiet.

“I didn’t tell her, but I had seen her visit the cave where Michael died a few times to tell him about the baby.” Her eyes misted at that, then she turned toward Anna Maria.

“Anyway, I went to your father’s to tell him, and she was there. She had her hand on him the entire time. She wouldn’t leave him alone, and I didn’t want her to know. I had never seen your father’s eyes the way they were ever before. Normally, they were your exact eyes, amber colored, warm, loving, soulful, and always held a certain je ne sais quoi about them. But at that moment they were dark, dull, almost lifeless. It is the only time I felt unsafe around your father. I was certain she was controlling him, am still certain today. When I told Maria, it was then that she decided we should move away.

“We left a few days after, your father never knowing of you.” Liz became silent. She held her daughter’s face in her hands and brushed the hair out of her eyes. She looked at her seriously.

“You are sure it is him?” she asked quietly. Anna Maria nodded. She held her daughter close, even as she felt the drug and illness-induced sleep overtaking her once again. She thought to herself that she would like to see them together before she left this earth.

TBC....so, more things answered....
Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Part 7

Post by Kristy »

Here's a semi-fluffy part (at least toward the end). It gives some more insight on Ryan's side of things. I'll get back to the more pressing questions later. RL is kinda getting in the way, but I'll try to update soon.

Oh, and here's my crappy attempt at a banner! I am completely amateur so it's all done on paint instead of the good programs. Well, it's something and it's mine ....

Part 7

Ryan rushed to answer the persistent knocking on his door. Annoyed, he pulled the door open and uttered an angry, “What?”

May stepped back a little at his attitude. He then saw that it was his fiancé’s cousin and sighed.

“I’m sorry, May. Come on in,” he said, pushing the door back to let her enter. They made their way to the couch where Ryan slumped into his seat.

May had yet to say anything, but continued to study the man she thought of like a brother.

Normally he was full of life and extra gentle with people. Today, his dark blue eyes looked red and sunken in, with deep red circles underneath them. His complexion was pallor and had a gray tinge to it that spoke of sleepless nights. He appeared gaunt, as if he were fading away.

May sighed, and offered a smile that didn’t quite reach her deep emerald eyes. Ryan failed to give one back, but nodded his acknowledgement of it. She was in no doubt of why he appeared this way.

Her cousin was lying in their room, only really smiling when she spoke about the baby, taking care of herself if only for her child’s sake. She rarely left her place in the room, and hadn’t been to work in three days. It was taking a toll on her poor friend, as he was still kept in the dark about why his fiancée was acting as such.

“I’m not here to tell you,” she said softly, but with a meaningful glance to him. “Just know that you are not in the wrong at all. Too many things are going on in Ami’s mind right now, and she’s not able to deal so well. I mean, think about it Ryan. Her mother is in the hospital and now she has to deal with becoming a mother, and though it’s a blessing, it is also a stressor, Ryan.”

Ryan nodded at this. He knew it just made her life a little more complicated, but it did give her joy at the same time. He only had to glance at the love of his life once to understand that.

“But that’s not all, is it, May?” he said, his voice hoarse. Her eyes dropped to her lap, then she shook her head. Her eyes then met his again.

“She’ll tell you eventually, Ryan. She loves you and your baby with all she has in her. She just needs time.”

Again he nodded, his eyes solemn. “I love her and the baby with everything I have in me, too. I just can’t understand why she can tell you but not me,” he admitted quietly.

“Oh, Ryan. It’s not about that. It’s just … something she doesn’t want to have to explain to anyone, including herself. I knew the back-story, so it was easier to tell me. She needed someone who understood. I have no doubt she told her mom, too. I’m sure she would have told my mom if she wasn’t in Roswell.” She paused then, thinking about why her mother was there, of all places. She sighed. “Believe me. It’ll happen sooner rather than later. And I’m here to make sure of it.”

With that she sprung to her feet. Ryan looked at her, obviously confused. Then she headed toward their bedroom door. She paused again and looked to Ryan, her eyes bright and determined. “You get some rest. You look like death warmed over. I’ll talk to Ami.”

Ryan woke, startled, when the front door slammed shut. May had left. She always slammed doors, whatever mood she was in. Still, Ryan was almost afraid to enter the bedroom he and Ami shared.

May had an imposing presence sometimes. He knew she got most of it from her mother, but it was times like these that he saw something different, that must have come from her father.

May looked like a replica of his bubbly “Aunt” Maria, so much that he rarely thought about what her father had looked like. But then something would pass over her face, or she’d scratch her eyebrow, and suddenly it was as if she were a different person altogether. Her father, he assumed.

He had been kept in the dark about the cousins’ fathers. He just knew that May’s had passed before she was born and that Ami’s … well, actually, he knew nothing about Ami’s, but it had to be bad. All he really knew that they’d been “not of this earth.” Ami, while had a lot of her mother in her, had to have a lot of her father, too. Her eyes, for one, were a stranger’s, as was her smile and her cute little ears. Neither Ami nor her mother spoke of him, and his presence was hardly felt in the close-knit family.

After his parents had abandoned him at the age of two, he had bounced from home to home, never feeling quite comfortable. But when he met Ami and her interesting family of females, he felt like he had come home. Suddenly he had two “aunts” and a “sister” and the love of his life. They treated him like family, and it was the happiest feeling he had ever had.

Now he was building his own family, with his beautiful Ami. He just hoped she would open up to him before whatever this was consumed her.

With a sudden confidence, he opened the door and was met by a smiling Ami.

“I don’t know how you’ll forgive me,” she said softly, and then rested her hand unconsciously on her belly. He looked at her, confused.

“Forgive you?” he asked. She smiled again, sadly.

“For blocking you,” she replied. He knew she just wasn’t talking about not talking to him. She had also kept their bond on a block.

Suddenly the block opened and he could feel her pain, sadness, joy, love, and everything else she had been holding back.

His eyes closed. “Thank you,” he said, relishing in the feel of the bond. Then he felt her small, soft hands on his face. He slowly opened his eyes. Her were staring into his, filled with tears. “Ami,” he started, shaking his head.

“No,” she said, knowing what he would say already. “May was right. I need to tell you.”

He looked down, and nodded. They both needed this, and they both knew it. He looked at her, and then down to her flat belly. He smiled and covered his hand over it, and laughed when the glow came immediately. He looked up at her. “I just needed to see it again,” he shrugged and pulled her into a hug. She hugged him back tightly.

He pulled her down to the bed, and brushed her hair out of her eyes. He kissed her, sweetly yet deeply. “Are you ready?” he asked seriously. She took a deep breath, but then nodded.

“We never really talk about my father,” she started, taking in a big gulp of air. He nodded and waited for her to continue. “My mom and him loved each other, very much. But I was conceived in a time of grief, when Michael, May’s dad, died,” she said, and began to fidget with the hem of her shirt. He hugged her close to him, as reassurance.

“They had broken up afterward. Mom knew it was going to happen. Their connection was deep, and she had dreamt of something terrible happening to them the night they were together.

“She dreamt of an evil being coming in between them, preventing them from being happy. So when he avoided her for a few days, she knew there was more to it.” She paused, sighing. She felt heavy, as if the problems between her parents were weighing down on her.

“Another alien came to town, the only other they’d ever seen. She was evil. She had the ability to change memories and change a person’s reactions. She was controlling my father. And Alex,” she looked up at him then, her eyes questioning. “You remember what happened to my uncle, right?”

He nodded. “He was almost killed by an evil alien … Ami, I had no idea,” she cut him off.

“That was the point,” she said and sighed tiredly. He brought her back into his embrace. “He was with her when mom found out she was pregnant. Well, Auntie Maria found out she was pregnant first, then mom. Mom tried to tell him, but he was being controlled. So they decided to move.”

She looked up at him. “That’s when they found my uncle, in a little town in Colorado. He had been hiding there, because Tess, the other alien, thought he was dead and he wanted to keep her thinking that way. He took care of them, and when me and May were born, us too.” She held him close.

“That’s why I was crying when I moved in next door to you. I didn’t want to leave my uncle Alex, but he couldn’t move so far away and we couldn’t stay.” She smiled up at him. “You always had a way to make me feel better, though, even from the start.” She felt him smile against her cheek.

“I love you,” he said. She kissed him.

“I love you, too.” Then she frowned. “But this isn’t why I’m so upset.” He nodded, sending a burst of reassuring love through the open connection.

“The chief of staff, the one that told me I was pregnant?” she said and sighed.

“What about him?” he pressed gently.

“He’s my father, Ryan,” she finally confessed. He shut his eyes tightly. He was wondering where this was leading. He felt pained because he knew this knowledge was hurting her.

“Does he know?” he asked. She shook her head and he nodded. He figured as much, just needed the confirmation. “You’re not sure what to do?” he asked, knowing that could be what was plaguing her. She nodded. He sighed. “It’ll be okay, Ami. Remember what we used to say?” he asked.

“We can make it through anything as long as we’re together,” she replied, a sad smile on her face.

He nodded vigorously. “That’ll be true for this, too. No matter what happens, no matter what you decide,” he said seriously, looking into her amber eyes, bright with unshed tears. Then he kissed her forehead and closed his eyes. “For now, let’s sleep. You, me, and the baby need some rest.”

She smiled at that, and complied. She felt so lucky to have him, and she did feel better admitting everything to him. May’s forwardness really did pay off sometimes.

She awoke to Ryan singing their song to her stomach. He looked up and noticed she was awake with a bright smile on her face. He blushed, embarrassed to be caught.

“Um, so, what do you think we’re having?” he asked. She grinned at his sudden subject change and hit him with the green throw pillow. She laughed at the hurt expression on his face and placed a hand over her belly.

“We’ll have to wait and see, I suppose. Mom said after about five months she was able to connect with me,” she said, her face thoughtful. He placed his hand over her tiny one and smiled.

“Names?” he asked, happy for the bright mood she seemed to be in. Ever since she told him everything, it had been as if the world had been lifted from her shoulders. She cocked her head to the side, thinking. She began to bit her lip slightly in concentration.

“I was thinking something to do with the sun, well, because it’s our song. But most of the things I come up with are just too … I don’t know, hippy-sounding.”

He laughed out loud at this. “You know what? I agree. Maybe we should do something for a middle name, then? Like for a girl, Soleil?” he offered, looking up at her hopefully.

A grin broke out across her face and again he was struck by how beautiful she was. “I like that. It’s … fitting. Perfect,” she said, her eyes twinkling.

“Ha! I knew those French lessons would pay off somehow!” he exclaimed and pulled her into a hug. She rolled her eyes good-naturedly and kissed him.

“We can worry about first names and boy names later,” she said. Then suddenly her mood darkened. “I need to go to work,” she whispered, glancing at the clock.

He shook his head and pulled her close. “No. Stay. You need to,” he said, his voice serious.

“I can’t avoid it forever,” she whispered, shaking her head as well. He looked as if he were going to protest, but then nodded his understanding.

“I’ll be here. Call me if you need me. I’ll bring the phone into the darkroom,” he said. She knew how much he hated having the phone near him while he worked and was grateful for the gesture. She simply nodded.

“I promise,” she said, then headed for the shower.

TBC....
Last edited by Kristy on Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.