TAT: The Jade Tower (M/L,AU WA,MATURE) ch4, 01/09/06 (WIP)

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

TAT: The Jade Tower (M/L,AU WA,MATURE) ch4, 01/09/06 (WIP)

Post by Applebylicious »

Title: Time After Time: The Jade Tower (1343-1400)

Author: Lindsay

Rating: MATURE

Disclaimer: The characters of Roswell belong to The WB, Melinda Metz, and UPN. This is also a repost of an older fic of mine, rewritten and edited.

Summary: This is an installment in the Time After Time challenge by Fred. Time After Time is a series of loosely linked stories throughout history. Each story will feature Max and Liz in a CC relationship. Most of the other pairings will be CC, but it is not required (meaning that mild UC is a possibility). Nor is pairing the other characters with anyone necessarily going to happen. The stories in this series can all be read independently, but will be connected by Max and Liz's relationship, and by one other trend. See if you can pick it out! The stories may end happily, or not. This is at the discretion of the author. The backstory in each fic might be different. These stories are not necessarily canon based. The events of the TV show Roswell are just another link in the time after time chain.

The time is 1359, and something truly magical is about to happen...

banner by Anniepoo98

banner by roswellianprincess16

The Jade Tower

Prologue

…And thro' the field the road run by
To where many-towers laid;
Round an island there below,
The Tower made of Jade.

There a maiden waits by night and day
For true love’s kiss to be laid
A curse is on her if she stay
in the Tower made of Jade.

There is a tale that is whispered among the villagers of Roswell. A tale of magick and intrigue, of fantastical events, which were seldom believed, but heartily accepted. Those who were there when the story began are long gone from this world, leaving behind contradicting bits and pieces of what really happened.

Fact became legend, and legend became myth. However, one part of the story remains untouched, untainted by the gossiping tongues and forgetful minds. This is the story I shall share with you, and one that you will carry in your hearts forevermore.

It is a story of integrity and corruption, of bravery and cowardice. It is a tale of woeful grief, and absolute happiness. It is a tale of a love so powerful that it survived insurmountable odds and is remembered by all who treasure the kind of magic true love can bring.

It is good versus evil, of a courageous knight, and a princess who challenged him to the very depths of his soul. It is the story of a man who had lost himself, and the woman who found him.

You might not believe the story I am about to tell, but everything I speak of truly happened. It can change your heart if you allow it to. Light the fire, and cuddle closer, pilgrims, for a have a tale for you…

The Jade Tower – Chapter One

Elizabeth Parkana, Princess of Roswell, suffered from no illusions. Had she but, the world might have appeared a brighter place and she might have gladly accepted the fate that had been cast upon her without choice. Being of sound mind and body, however, she found it difficult to hide the fear and anger knotted inside of her.

Leaning against the balcony window of the Tower of Jade in the eastern wing of the castle, she gazed upon the bustling kingdom before her. Golden sunlight beat down from the sky, bathing the lush, rolling hills below in its heavenly warmth. Villagers could be seen going to and fro during the wee morning hours, preparing themselves for the unpredictability and opportunity of another day.

But not her. Oh, no…never her. There was no unpredictability in her life; every day she awoke with the knowledge of her duties and the sacrifices she must make for the kingdom she loved.

Her heart swelled with a longing she couldn’t suppress as she watched the mummers set up for their play in the Town Square, their faces obscured by colorful paint that gave the impression of masks. The idea of joining in the festivities that would occur that day had her releasing a lingering sigh.

Her father would never allow it. She might be ten and six and of able age to marry and bear children, but she was certainly not old enough to be given a glimpse into the coarse lives of the commoners. God forbid, she should expand her limited knowledge past that of what was considered appropriate for a woman of her station.

She was assailed by a terrible sense of bitterness as her fingers clenched around stone. She continued to watch her people below, envying them their freedom as her father’s revelation from the day before echoed in her mind.

The King’s proclamation had announced her betrothal to a knight from the neighboring kingdom of Antar. Once more, she suffered no illusions: Elizabeth was well aware that the affiance was merely an advantageous arrangement between two powerful monarchs looking to establish dominance over the richest of lands. And truly, Antar was a beautiful place – it’s flourishing countryside and abundant riches were reputed to rival even the affluent Roswell. The people of Antar were humble and hard working, and greatly loved their noble family, so truly she could have no objections to the match, or so said King Geoffrey as he had revealed his plans to the entire court in front of his stunned and dismayed daughter.

But Elizabeth could think of one key objection. Her fury almost choked her as she thought of her betrothed, and her knuckles turned white as she gripped the pane harder. Maxwell of Antar.

His name was whispered throughout the villages, causing many a young girl to sigh with dreamy pleasure. Noble women measured tales of his charms, giggling in sensual delight. It was said that he was as handsome as Adonis, and that Aphrodite had kissed him at birth, gifting him with a spirit as zealous as the goddess of love herself. This rumor was proven by his reputed many mistresses, who swore he was as passionate in bed as he was fierce in battle.

Elizabeth had never been acquainted with the desirable young knight, but she had heard the stories of his many exploits and the idea of marriage with him made her skin crawl. She didn’t want a handsome husband who would expect her to please him while he humiliated her by seeking pleasure elsewhere. She wanted to marry for love, to know without a doubt that she held her mate’s heart as he would hold hers. Something she knew would not happen with Sir Maxwell.

But it was already done, her engagement sealed by two ambitious kings. Her fate no longer lay in her own hands, if it ever had. Her eyes filled with tears of frustration and helplessness as she leaned farther out the window, savoring in the freedom she could almost taste on her tongue. If only…

“Your Highness?”

Elizabeth looked over her shoulder to see her lady-in-waiting standing just inside the Tower entrance. With one last look at the countryside, she turned and pasted a serene smile on her face. “Yes, Marian?” she spoke, quickly dropping her lashes to hide the emotion within.

Marian curtsied and gazed at the floor as she spoke, showing the proper respect for royalty. However, to Elizabeth’s frustrated countenance, her display only seemed one more sign of her captivity. Oh, how she longed to have a friend, to have the liberty to giggle with Marian and the other servants and walk through the village and… and even to flirt with the footmen and stable boys!

“His Majesty reminds you of your engagement feast this evening,” Marian answered demurely.

As if she could forget. Elizabeth silently bit back her impotent anger as her maid, unaware of the princess’s dangerous mood, continued, “He asks for you to join him in the dining hall.”

Elizabeth’s eyes darkened and her nostrils flared with fury, then she set her shoulders. “Of course, I shall be there as soon as I am dressed.”

Marian immediately hurried to her side. “Allow me, Your Highness.”

Elizabeth surrendered to Marian’s nimble fingers as the servant tied the fastenings of her brightly colored silk gown. Her eyes once again wandered to the open window outside her bedroom, and she fingered the cool, emerald stone that lie between her breasts.

<center>***</center>

Sir Maxwell Stefan Evanston, servant of Antar, spread his legs apart and held a hand to his mouth in a tactless maneuver to hide a yawn as he studied the raging female across the room.

He’d let this go on long enough, that much was certain. With a clearing of his throat, he sent the weeping female a quelling look. “Cease this, immediately. It is happening, and there is nothing you nor I can do about it, my lady.”

“But… but Maxwell,” Lady Delilah choked, as he unfolded his length from the chair. “You can’t be engaged! How… when did this happen?”

“Last night,” Maxwell answered coolly, not even bothering to sweep his gaze over her tempting form as he brushed past. “It is a great triumph, I am told.”

She forced down her anger and beneath the folds of her dress, her nails dug into her palms hard enough to bring glistening tears to her eyes. In a small voice, she asked, “Did I not please you, Maxwell?”

It had taken her far longer than she’d planned to seduce the handsome knight, and she had been aghast to realize that the tales of his insatiable appetite were greatly embellished. In fact, had it not been for the help of Vilondra, Delilah greatly doubted whether she would have ever seen the interior of his chambers.

And now, he was dismissing her as if she were nothing more than a serving girl whom he’d dallied with! It was not to be borne. She breathed heavily as she stared over at his profile, where he was not even pretending boredom. Her eyes narrowed as he spoke, his voice husky with natural timbre.

“It would be best if you left now, my lady,” he murmured, staring out of the open window. “Take the servants’ corridor, no one will see you.”

Delilah’s lips tightened. At the realization that he had already forgotten her, a desperate need welled inside her. “No!” Delilah cried. “This can’t be happening!”

This time his lips curved in a smile, but not in amusement. “Oh, but it is happening, my lady. And there’s not a damn thing you nor I can do to stop it. I am loyal to my King, and I do that which he wishes for the betterment of Antar.”

Delilah’s cheeks flushed and before she knew what was happening, her hand flew out to connect with his cheek. He caught it easily, and threw more salt in the wound by laughing softly.

“Dear Delilah… no reason to make a scene. We both enjoyed ourselves tremendously, but now we must go our separate ways,” he spoke as if it were already decided when in actuality, she had no intention of letting him go.

She took a deep breath and forced herself to remain the carefree seductress that had gotten her this far, and laughed lightly. “But Maxwell, you can’t mean to forget about us,” she murmured meaningfully, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling his head down to meet her lips. Instead of responding to her invitation, he stepped back so that she almost fell against the chair that he had previously been reclining in.

“That is precisely what I mean to do,” he answered, and then turned in obvious dismissal to stare out the window once again.

Delilah fumed. “I’ll tell everyone!” she wailed. “You’ve ruined me! I’ll make it where you must have me!”

This time he didn’t even turn, but she didn’t imagine the smirk in his wry tone. “Whoever ruined you, sweeting, was around long before me.”

Those simple words finally broke her control and with a screech she threw herself at him, her fists pounding against his back as she railed. Out of nowhere guards appeared and restrained her as she fought, her eyes wild with rage.

“You will have me! You will have me!” She continued to cry the words as she was forced from his chambers, and Maxwell turned back to the window with a bemused expression.

“No, Lady Delilah, that is where you’re wrong” he whispered as his eyes searched across the never-ending landscape, “for no one shall ever have me. I would never bestow that curse upon a person…I swear it.”

<center>***</center>

Elizabeth wrapped the coarse woolen cloak around her body, making sure to cover herself from neck to toe. Her eyes flashed in excitement, her heart beating rapidly at the knowledge of what was to come.

She caught sight of herself in one of the hanging glasses decorating the stony walls and the image of a common woman was reflected back at her. Her wealth of dark hair tumbled carelessly down her back, defined by reckless curls.

“My Lady, I am not so sure about this.”

Elizabeth spun around to find Marian wringing her hands as she stared down at herself, dressed in one of Elizabeth’s gowns. Elizabeth’s eyes widened at the sight of Marian’s long hair coiffed atop her head, the pure image of royalty. With the maid’s coloring, she could easily pass for Elizabeth herself, especially since they’d managed to hide the gold in her hair with club moss.

The idea had come to Elizabeth while she’d been forced to listen to another of her father’s diatribes about the importance of making a superior impression that evening, and it had refused to leave her wandering thoughts.

She only wanted one night… one chance to see the outside world without all the trimmings that came with being royalty. One night to hold onto during the future years that she would be held prisoner in a marriage of convenience and formality. When Marian had followed her back to the Tower, she’d thought of the similarities between herself and her maid, and her plans had come to fruition.

“Nonsense, Marian,” she replied, walking over to straighten the brooch that held Marian’s robe together. The brooch had been a gift from King Philip of Antar to congratulate her on her engagement to his most favored knight. It was beautiful, molded in the shape of a rose and trimmed with diamonds and rubies. She would have loved it, had it signified anything other than the death of all her dreams.

“You must remember, do not curtsey to anyone,” Elizabeth continued, hurriedly giving last minute instructions to her worried lady, “only when you are presented to the kings. Everyone else will bow to you. Also, you mustn’t wring your hands like a cook does a chicken’s neck. Simply smooth the folds of your gown should you feel yourself become nervous.”

“But Your Highness, what if I am recognized?” Marian asked for what had to be the eleventh time since Elizabeth had hatched her plan.

“You won’t be,” Elizabeth responded surely. “Not only do you look the part, but it is a masquerade and you shall be wearing a mask. Just remember, try not to speak as much as possible. You’re only there to be beautiful and obedient,” she finished with an edge of resentment, which Marian picked up on, because her maid’s eyes widened and she looked away.

“You must be careful, Your Highness,” she whispered, then jumped when a knock sounded at the door, signaling the arrival of the guests for Elizabeth’s engagement ball. Elizabeth bent her head and opened the door, curtseying to the awaiting servant who delivered the summons for Elizabeth’s presence in a flat tone.

With one last terrified expression, Marian nodded and followed stiffly, leaving Elizabeth trailing behind. Once they passed the servants’ corridor, Elizabeth snuck away.

Following the servants’ hall to the rear castle exit, she found herself in the courtyard outside of the castle. She took a deep breath and stared back at the glittering lights and laughing people who arrived clothed in the most expensive tailored frocks.

Pulling her disguise more firmly around her, she disappeared into the night.

<center>***</center>

Hyah!” Maxwell clicked his tongue and dug his heels into the belly of his great stallion Greyson. The two took off through the growing dusk as Maxwell’s pulse began to race. He knew he was shirking his duty, and he would surely pay for it the next day. However, he simply needed to get away from everything that was happening before he went irrevocably insane.

Since the scene that morning with Delilah, he’d been in a brooding mood. Even the sight of the lovely village girls and their flirtatious ways hadn’t lifted his spirits. He felt as though he was standing in the gallows, the noose ever-tightening around his neck.

He didn’t begrudge Delilah her shock at the news of his engagement. He felt much the same way – surprised, angry, resigned. He’d known it would come to this. Yet he’d still hoped…

Philip had not been happy with his decision, and for the first time he could remember Maxwell found himself and his King on opposing ends.

“I’ve decided not to attend the ball, Your Majesty,” he’d calmly reported earlier that morn, causing Philip to nearly choke on his tankard. “This is merely a… transaction. It doesn’t really matter if I’m there to wait on Princess Elizabeth.”

King Philip had taken a deep breath, obviously struggling to retain his composure, but his eyes flashed and he’d boomed out, “Say now, are you saying you refuse to wed the girl?”

Maxwell had swallowed, wondering if perhaps he should tell his King the reason why he was so fearful of the alliance. Why he feared marriage to any woman. But no matter how he trusted Philip, this was a secret he simply could not bestow.

“No, Your Majesty, I am fully aware of my duties to the Crown. I will marry your Princess. But until that day, my life is my own. You can expect no more from me.”

“But… but… what am I to tell Geoffrey?” the king sputtered. “You are expected to attend! I’ll not ruin this union by having you insult your future father-in-law.”

“Then have someone stand in my place,” Maxwell replied smoothly. “I’ve never met the Princess, she’ll never know. It is a masquerade after all.”

Philip’s eyes narrowed, taking in Maxwell’s riding clothes and the sack of food and wine on the ground next to him. “And where will you be, boy? Are you planning some sort of tryst with one of those tarts you seem so fond of? Is it that infernal Lady Delilah? I won’t stand for it, Maxwell.”

Instead of answering Philip, he’d simply turned and began saddling his enormous black charger, for a ride, secure in his knowledge that Philip would bluster but not refuse him.

After a hearty ride through the countryside, Maxwell pulled Greyson to a stop just outside of the forest, near a flowing stream. The sun had set an hour ago, casting its last dying rays far on the horizon in an explosion of pinks and reds. The moon had already risen to take its rightful place in the heavens, and by its glow he dismounted Greyson, leading the tired horse over to the bubbling water.

The fertile grass was a lush carpet beneath his boots and he felt the stiffness begin to leave his shoulders as the serenity of the area seeped into his body. Tying Greyson to a nearby tree and leaving the animal to drink, he wandered further down the bank where the river emptied into a small pond. Covered head to toe with dust from his long ride, he itched to dive into the refreshing water and wipe away any traces of his exhaustion. With one last look at Greyson, who was now munching happily away on the meadow, he bent to unlace his boots. He placed first one, then the other, under the canopy of a large oak and began unbuttoning his linen shirt. Draping it across a low-hanging branch, his fingers fell to the clasp of his pants when he heard a splash nearby.

Immediately he stilled, his battle senses honed and ready as his ears perked in awareness and his breath caught. The sound came again, this time even closer than before.

Maxwell crouched and reached inside his left boot for the small dagger he kept hidden within the tough leather. His fingers closing around the rough-hewn hilt, he crept behind the tree and waited for whatever was out there to show itself. It was most likely only a wayward animal using the mountain water to cool off, or perhaps a member from the nearby village out for an evening swim.

But Maxwell had been a soldier for too long, had seen too much destruction to ever take such a risk. What if it was one of his enemies, having followed him hoping to attack when he was at his most vulnerable?

He snorted arrogantly. They’d soon learn that Sir Maxwell of Antar never allowed himself to be vulnerable. His body coiled for attack when a figure appeared from the other side of the river, lying on its back as it swam towards him. It was definitely human. He could barely make out the evidence of long legs and elegant arms in the darkness, but he knew he was staring at another person.

Squinting against the night, a frown lit his handsome features as the figure swam nearer and stood in the waist deep water. His eyes widened and his mouth went dry as the moon appeared from behind the clouds and reflected against silky skin, highlighting bare curves.

The figure, the woman, ran her fingers through her hair and dislodged a shower of silvery drops back into the pond. In the moonlight the strands appeared black as midnight and fell to somewhere beneath the water in a flowing curtain of curls.

Maxwell stared dazedly at the unsuspecting water nymph. She was the most beautiful creature he’d ever laid eyes on. He watched as she swirled her fingers through the inky water, sending small ripples away from her. Who was she?

He cursed the night that had previously been his sanctuary, hating the darkness that cloaked the woman from his eager gaze. He leaned forward, straining to get a better glimpse, and succeeded in breaking a twig as he pressed against a weak portion of the old tree.

The woman’s head flew in his direction, and she stooped in the water to cover her body. “Who’s there?”

Maxwell swore at the sound of her wary voice, and stood frozen in the hope she’d forget the small diversion and go back to her alluring swim. Instead, she took a tentative step in his direction. Maxwell crept stealthily towards his clothes when once again her musical voice filled the air.

“Show yourself immediately, vagrant!”

Maxwell cocked a brow at the commanding tone, stifling a surprising burst of amusement at the situation. Here was Antar’s most feared warrior… and he was running from a woman? But he had no intention of showing himself and proving he was a voyeur, so he reached over for his shirt at the exact moment an object went whizzing past him. His eyes widened as he stared at the small dagger embedded in the tree just inches from where his fingers gripped linen.

He gave the shirt a slight tug, and watched in amazement as it held fast, stayed by the sharp end of the blade. The weapon appeared similar to his own, but instead of the many nicks and scratches covering his dagger, this one was glittering and undamaged, thus proving it hadn’t seen much struggle in its life.

The sound of soft footsteps brought him out of his reverie and he turned to see the woman staring at him, water sluicing down her nude form from her mad rush out of the river. She did not appear to realize the fact that she stood naked before him.

It was then he saw the second dagger in her hand.

His eyes fell on the small garters circling each thigh where she’d drawn her weapons and he quirked a brow. Interesting place to hide one’s defense.

“Do not move, sir,” she spoke, brandishing the knife like an expert swordsman. He lifted his hands in entreaty, a charming smile curving his lips. He watched as her eyes made a quick survey of him as he’d done to her, then returned to his lips. A flare of heat surged through him at the interest in her gaze, but when he took a step forward, she lifted the blade higher.

“I implore you, my lady, I mean no harm to your person,” he spoke quietly, standing still as she moved menacingly closer. “You may put down your weapon.”

“I rather think I’ll keep it, until I discover why you were following me,” she returned hotly. Her voice trembled slightly, giving Maxwell the idea that perhaps she wasn’t as calm as she appeared.

He smiled again, hoping to set her at ease. “I assure you that was not the case,” he said, watching as doubt crossed her lovely face. “I was simply tending my horse and debating over a late swim when I happened upon you bathing.”

At his words, her eyes widened and for the first time she seemed to realize she was, indeed, naked. Her cheeks flushed deeply and she looked away. Maxwell bit back a chuckle as she struggled to find something to cover herself with.

Apparently he wasn’t successful, because her eyes flashed angrily at him. “You dare to laugh, you knave? Turn around at once!”

Maxwell debated over telling her that it was truly too late, for he’d already seen everything of interest. But in the end, he took pity on her obvious embarrassment and turned to face the tree.

A very un-ladylike curse reached his ears and he grinned, crossing his arms over his broad chest. “There are blankets in my pack, to your left,” he offered, and heard the sound of her rifling through his bag seconds later. His mind filled with images of her bending over and wrapping herself in a sheet that smelled of him. He groaned quietly and reached down to adjust himself.

“You may turn around now,” she spoke regally, and Maxwell quickly complied, most eager to set his sights on her again.

She had tied two sheets together in a surprisingly fashionable toga, which covered her from the tips of her breasts to her ankles. He lamented the loss of her lush curves, but was wise enough not to say so.

“Now, sir, you will tell me your name.”

Once again Maxwell caught the authority in her tone. This was a woman who was used to people obeying her. Was she a member of the nobility, then? But he’d never before seen her, and he had thought he knew all the beautiful women in his kingdom and Roswell as well.

He assumed it was possible that she was from a distant kingdom, perhaps lost on her way back. But where was the rest of her party? A woman of her station didn’t travel alone - not in this day and age of debauchery.

“Who are you?” he blurted, unable to hold his hunger for answers back another moment.

Her brows rose. “I believe I asked your name, I did not consent to give you mine.”

Well, that just wouldn’t do. “And I believe that you are currently wearing something that belongs to me, my lady,” he pointed out. “Therefore I think that makes me deserving to know at least your name.”

She frowned and looked down at the blanket, her cheeks flushing at the subtle reminder of her previous nudity, and the fact that he had been witness to the event.

“Nevertheless,” she stated hastily, “it was you who spied upon me. Therefore I demand your name.”

“A small price to pay,” he murmured silkily, and was rewarded with another blush. His lips curved as he bent to perform a bow. “I am Maxwell.” He didn’t allude to the fact that he was also well-renowned warrior. The title tended to cause a woman to swoon at his feet or throw herself into his arms once she realized who he was. Not that he would mind having her in his arms. But he still preferred to keep his identity a secret for the time being.

Judging by her narrowed eyes, his reputation had preceded him. “Maxwell? Are you by any chance related to Sir Maxwell of Antar?”

He bit his lip, hating to outright lie. “Do you know him?” he settled for.

A strange expression crossed her features. “Why yes, I am…” She broke off suddenly and Maxwell waited for her to finish. She appeared to be thinking and then continued with, “No, I do not know him. I have heard of him, however.”

“And what do you think, my lady?” Maxwell asked, only half-teasing.

She threw her head back and frowned. “I think he is a wicked, sinful scoundrel of immoral policies!”

Maxwell choked at the heated words of disgust. “Well, you certainly seem to… disapprove… of Sir Maxwell.”

She simply scowled. Maxwell cleared his throat and decided to change the subject. “May I not have your name? I have, after all, given you mine. Along with the only blankets for my bed tonight.”

She stared at him, obviously warring with herself over whether or not to submit to his request. Maxwell smiled charmingly.

She sighed. “Very well, sir. You may call me… Rose.”
Last edited by Applebylicious on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

The Jade Tower – Chapter Two

Elizabeth’s wide brown eyes stared at the disturbingly seductive stranger before her, and the sight of a half-smile pursing his lips did strange things to her body, even as it lifted her temper to new heights. Did he think their situation amusing? Her grip tensed on the dagger and she glared at him anew.

He simply stared back, daring her to respond with melting amber eyes. Elizabeth almost thought to tell him who she really was. That would certainly wipe the self-satisfied smirk from his features. But then she ran the risk of discovery, and she wasn’t quite ready to end her fanciful journey.

In truth, those few hours spent frolicking through the forest had filled her with a happiness she’d never thought to experience. She’d forgotten about her duties to family and kingdom, had been content with the wondrous simplicity of nature. Shedding her clothes and swimming through the crystal pond, she’d never once thought of the indecency of the act. She’d felt as magical as a nymph, never suspecting someone might have stumbled upon her secret garden.

But this man before her, tall and silver-haired in the night with eyes that glowed in the moon’s pale beams, had shattered her dreamy fantasy like spun glass. Before she realized her actions, before the idea had fully taken place in her mind, she walked towards him. His eyes narrowed in surprise and he took a small step in her direction.

“My lady…” he murmured in that husky voice that made her think of things no well-bred woman of her standing should.

Heat. Sweat. Naked limbs and the whisper of silk against skin…

By the unholy gleam in his eyes, he felt it, too. Well, she would put an end to that right now. Never letting her eyes break contact with his, she reached down and picked up the leather boots at his feet. With a smile of satisfaction, she turned and tossed them into the river. The heavy footwear made a small splash and immediately sunk into the shadowed depths.

“What in the name of hell are you doing?” he roared, running to the edge of the lake and staring in shock at the ripples spreading out across the water. He turned back and glared at her.

Elizabeth tossed her head, her lips threatening to twitch as she relished the look of outrage on his handsome face.

“Are you insane, woman?” he bit off, stalking over to her with an expression that promised retribution. The effect was hindered when he stumbled and cried out, hopping on one foot while cursing colorfully.

This time she couldn’t quite hold back the smile.

He caught her, and his nostrils flared. “You’d better hope by the time I get over there, that you have a damn good reason for me not to turn you over my knee and beat some bloody sense into your backside!” His words grew in volume until he was virtually shouting at her.

She stiffened at the threat. “If you attempt to lay one hand on my person, you shall soon be joining your boots in the bottom of the lake, sir!”

This caused him to pause, and the look of his slack jaw and wide eyes, coupled with one foot in hand, was almost comical. Neither laughed.

He dropped his leg and limped slightly over to her. Elizabeth raised her dagger in warning. He simply shook his head and sat on an overgrown tree root, lifting his foot to study the gash. “Frigging hell,” he winced in disgust.

Despite herself, Elizabeth felt a twinge of regret as he hissed in pain and she took a step forward. The sight of the jagged tear in his heel, the colorful bruising along the ball of his foot, had her rushing to his side.

He turned away from her. “Damn it all, woman, keep away. You’ve done enough damage as it is.”

His growled words had no effect on Elizabeth, as she gingerly took his foot and examined the injury. Sure enough, there was a small rock embedded in the gash and it would take a woman’s small fingers to remove it without causing further harm.

She turned to rifle through his pack, ignoring his yelp of protest, and found what she needed. His foot jerked when she endeavored to remove the stone.

“Oh, hold still, it doesn’t hurt that bad,” she snapped, concentrating fiercely on cleaning and tending to his wound.

He grumbled in reply, but held still as asked. “I can handle worse than a bedamned scratch."

“There’s no need to curse,” she replied prudishly, biting her lip in deliberation. He growled. She hid another smile.

Maxwell stared at her in wonder as she continued caring for his injury. Injury she had caused, he thought inwardly. But he couldn’t quite hold on to his anger and frustration as he continued to gaze at Rose. She was bent over his foot, gifting him with a tempting view of the deep valley of her breasts.

He could have easily healed himself, but now it would raise her suspicions if he did not allow the wound to heal naturally. Despite the pain in his foot, he experienced a rush of heat that had him biting his lip as she absently brushed against his thigh. Just that simple touch… and he was rock hard and near bursting.

He forced himself to look away, lest she happen to look up and catch the expression he was sure was in his eyes. He could only imagine how she might react, this saucy virago with the most luscious body he’d ever –

“Sir!”

He jerked at the sound of her voice, and forced himself to return from his lusty fantasies. “I am sorry, you were saying?”

His voice was thick, and her eyes narrowed in suspicion. Luckily, she didn’t question the flush of his cheeks or the hunger he knew was evident in his gaze. “Yes, well, your foot is attended and should heal quite nicely, although I don’t suppose you should be doing much walking on it for a while yet.”

He growled. “Most perfect. And pray tell, how am I to make it back to my home, with an injured foot and no boots, my lady?”

Rose had the grace to blush. Looking away, she began packing the crude medical tools into his pack. “I am sure I do not know, sir. However, I must be on my way.”

She stood as if to depart, and his hand reached out and caught her wrist in an iron grip. With an indignant gasp, she struggled against him and he jerked her forward. Straight into his lap.

Maxwell froze as he suddenly found his face buried in her ample bosom. His hands, of their own accord, had wrapped themselves around the curve of her buttocks, tucking her neatly into his groin.

“Holy hell,” he mumbled, tone hoarse with need as he stared into her shocked eyes. His voice broke the spell and she began struggling anew.

“Let go of me, you brainless oaf!” she shrieked, bouncing in his lap as she tried to remove his fingers from her backside. The movement pressed her closer to his aching loins, and Maxwell hissed as he struggled to keep her steady.

“Sit… still, damn you!” he growled, fighting the nearly overwhelming urge to give into his almost feverish passion. Any other woman and he would have. Of course, any other woman wouldn’t have fought against him when she found herself nestled between his thighs. Damned if it didn’t make her all the more appealing.

“I will not sit still while you take such liberties!” she huffed, finally pulling away and falling onto the ground beside him. “You, sir, are… are…”

Maxwell lifted a brow, amused at her despite himself. “Momentarily crippled thanks to a wild-eyed banshee who doesn’t have more sense than to go swimming in the nude?”

Her mouth dropped open as a scream of outrage pierced the air. “You are a cad!” With that, she threw herself at him.

Maxwell barely had time to catch her before she began pulling at his hair. “Hey now, dammit, let go!

“You are a lowborn piece of filth!” she snapped, wrestling against him. “You… you are worse than Sir Maxwell!”

That snapped him out of it, and he drew her up sharply to his face. His eyes weren’t amused now, but narrowed in warning. “In point of fact, my lady, I have been nothing but accommodating ever since I had the misfortune of stumbling upon your lewd evening bath!”

She gasped in affront. “How dare you!”

“I’ve given you clothing and treated you with all due respect of a lady, and in turn you have snapped fire at me, thrown my boots in the lake, and caused an injury that will take weeks to heal!” he snapped, his fingers harsh around her arms. They were nose-to-nose, eyes flashing.

“Respect?” she spat. “You call spying on me while bathing, respect? You think the rights you have taken with my person are respectful?

“You were stark naked!” he roared, shaking her slightly in silence. “I am a man, darling, and you are all woman. You cannot fault me for an honest reaction.”

Rose stared at him, chest heaving as he stared back. Temper faded into that familiar desire, crackling in the air.

“Christ, you are exquisite,” he whispered, reaching up to cup her neck. He crushed her to him, and their lips met on a harsh groan. She returned the kiss with equal fervor, arms banded around his back as he sucked her bottom lip between his teeth. Someone moaned into the night.

Maxwell’s fingers dug into her hips, easing her into a sensual grind that only added to his suffering. Injured foot forgotten amidst the pain of unfulfilled lust, he stood with her in his arms. He backed her into the tree, pressing against her as they continued to feast upon one another’s mouths.

She broke away panting, turning her head to moan, “No.”

He licked her ear, feverishly trailing towards her neck. Her breast.

“Stop,” she moaned again, unconsciously thrusting against him and wrapping her legs more firmly around his hips. “We can’t…”

“We can,” he whispered hoarsely, pulling back to meet her eyes. His fingers plucked at a stiffened nipple beneath the blanket dress. “And by God, we will.”

Before she could reply, a giggle sounded in the night, followed by a hushing and another tinkling laugh. Rose stiffened and Maxwell’s head flew around.

Three women and a discomfited man stared back.

They ranged in height and appearance; from a statuesque blonde with eyes the color of fresh honey, to a curvy blonde beauty with a startling blue gaze, to a green-eyed brunette. The single male among them was wiry and lean, a look of sheepish commiseration coloring his features as he nodded coolly toward Maxwell.

The silvery blonde tsked and turned towards the shorter of the two women. “Now look what you’ve done, Tessa. He’s sure to not want our help now.”

The blonde giggled again. “He doesn’t appear to need any help, does he Isobel? He is certainly as handsome as they say,” She fluttered her lashes and wiggled her fingers towards Maxwell.

He simply gaped. Rose seemed to break out of her daze and struggled to get down, succeeding in stepping on Maxwell’s foot in the process. He yowled and started hopping again, glaring at her as she hurried away.

“Rose! Get back here!” he called, futilely attempting to follow. But she disappeared into the night without a trace. Falling onto his back next to the riverbank, he gasped and turned his head as the women approached.

“You could have stopped her,” he snapped, sitting up and brushing the dirt from his naked chest.

“We’re not allowed to interfere with mortals free will,” the brunette called Isobel spoke, and then quieted with a stare from the tall blonde.

“Oh, well spoken, Isobel,” the man finally broke into the conversation, rolling his eyes as he lolled about on the ground.

“Do not tempt me, Mikhail!” she hissed in retaliation, raising her hand as if to—

“Mortals?” Maxwell parroted, looking from one of them to the next. He shook his head, thinking that maybe he’d injured his foot far worse than he’d thought and was suffering from some kind of shock. Certainly these strangers weren’t saying what he thought they were saying…?

The arresting blonde woman stepped forward and her honey skin sparkled. The jeweled hue of her dress glittered as though spun with the sun’s rays as she gazed down at him and raised an eyebrow. “Well, Maxwell, what have you to say for yourself?”

He straightened, brushing off the dirt that stained his clothing. “You know who I am?” he asked warily.

The pixyish Tessa snickered and Isobel hid a smile behind her hand as Mikhail snorted below him. The blonde simply continued to stare as if she was looking into his very soul. Maxwell tensed, feeling somehow as if he were awaiting her judgment.

Finally she spoke, and her voice now seemed to carry a strange, ethereal tone. “I am Isobel, Queen of the Visitors. And I know all there is to know about you, Sir Maxwell of Antar.”
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

The Jade Tower – Chapter Three

Maxwell stared, as Isobel seemed to grow even more formidable in height. “The Visitors?” he echoed roughly, “that is nothing but a legend.”

“Oh dear, now he’s done it,” Tessa moaned. Maxwell frowned at her, but was distracted by the shimmering of her golden locks and the blue silk that framed her curves.

“Isobel gets really testy when people do not believe in her,” Serena confided in a loud whisper. She tossed back her dark hair and leaned closer towards him. Maxwell caught the delicate scent of lilac and his senses swam.

“Hush, the both of you,” Isobel boomed, and it seemed as though the very air itself, stilled. She narrowed her startling gaze on him, and Maxwell fought the urge to cower.

“Whether you wish to believe it or not, Sir Maxwell, I am who I say I am. If it should need proving, I would be happy to supply you with a hint of my powers.” She held her hand up and the space before her began to swirl in a mist of colors.

Maxwell stared, transfixed, as a picture began to form in its depths. He saw himself, as a young child, romping in the castle commons with his friends. The image coalesced into a vision of an older Maxwell, returning to his home after a strenuous battle. Men and women of all ages were greeting him, and the women threw themselves at his feet and begged to serve him as the men cheered him and clapped his back with respect.

He took it all as his due, but inside all he wanted was to be alone. Alone to grieve over all the horror and death he’d seen. His throat drew tight as he stared at the empty, forlorn expression on his face. He remembered the day well.

What had started as a typical battle for land between opposing kingdoms had turned into a bloodbath of immense proportion. Maxwell still remembered the sight of his best friend’s face as he’d fallen. A young knight had screamed for help as an angry opposer beat him. Lord Alexander had rushed to defend their comrade, and was driven through by the sword of one of their own, as he’d turned in surprise.

As long as he lived, he would never forget the sound of his own voice, stark with terror and pain, as he’d torn across the battlefield to reach his companion. He would always remember that he had been too late, as he’d held Alexander’s head in his lap while his friend took his final breath. How the tears had streamed down his face when Alexander’s body had gone limp, his eyes glazed with death, far beyond any power of Maxwell’s. He’d roared to the heavens as the battle raged on around them.

The image changed to that of Maxwell ripping through the opposing enemy with a strength born of anguish. He’d killed nearly every man left that day, not stopping when they’d cried out for mercy. And he’d come home a hero.

Instead of drowning in his loneliness, he’d thrown himself into finding whatever consolation he could, in the form of the lovely women who idolized him. The few moments of pleasure he received in their arms had been worth the stark aching that consumed him every other moment of his life.

But even as he lost himself in these willing women, there was always something missing. He didn’t know what or why, but lately the act hadn’t left him fulfilled, even for a short time. Until he’d seen the lovely Rose taking her evening bath.

“Why are you showing me this?” he whispered, shades of unhealed grief weaved through his voice.

Isobel dropped her hand, the image fading into the night as she continued to study him. A faint hint of sympathy glittered in her eyes, but she held firm. “So you will understand.”

“Understand what?” he cried in frustration. “That you are a Visitor? Well, I understand. What have you with me?”

Instead of answering his question, Isobel posed one of her own. “Are you familiar with the Woodland Witch?” she asked, walking slowly around him as the others looked on.

Maxwell turned to keep his eyes on her. With wary reluctance he responded, “She is rumored to live high in the hills of Roswell, and feasts on the young and small beasties that trespass upon her land.”

Tessa giggled again.

“That is a mere children’s tale,” Isobel frowned towards Tessa, “devised by worrisome parents to keep their children away from her influence.”

“And a good thing too,” Serena piped up, “for the old bat would as soon snatch them and turn them into toadstools. Or maybe even a footstool, seeing as how her feet are as large as her unsightly nose.”

Maxwell smiled despite himself.

“One more word out of either of you, and I swear I shall banish you both to the mortal realm,” Isobel hissed through her teeth.

“Which is why I remain silent and prudent,” Mikhail mused, twirling a blade of grass between his fingers. “I am not nearly ready to yet leave this world.”

Serena and Tessa began protesting their innocence, but a sharp look from Isobel had them drawing up silent. She turned back to Maxwell, who sat bemused in the wake of the Visitors.

“Do not let the stories fool you, young knight. The Woodland Witch is quite astonishingly beautiful,” Isobel spoke, eyeing the two smaller sprites with consternation. “She has the power to enrapture anyone who sets their sights upon her. Some would say she is fairer even than I.”

Maxwell took in Isobel’s silvery hair, sparkling brown eyes, and luscious curves, and then raised a brow. “I fail to see how that would be possible.”

Pleased with his response, though she tried to hide it, Isobel inclined her head. “So ‘tis true. You are as charming as they say.”

“Who,” he stood, as he was tired of her towering over him, “are they?

“Why, the women of the villages!” Tessa exclaimed. “They sing your praises and swoon in desire. They say no mere man can match you in strength or appetite.”

“Hmph,” Mikhail snorted, turning onto his stomach with a lazy roll. “Mortal men.”

Maxwell fought the urge to blush. But the lovely blonde continued, oblivious to his discomfort.

“Such talk eventually reaches the realm of the Visitors, and if it interests our women, well, then it interests our Queen.”

Maxwell glanced at Isobel, expecting her to rebuke the other fairie. But she only gazed at him with a strange light in her mystical eyes.

“You will do,” she spoke, a satisfied smile curving her ruby lips and making her appear even more beautiful than before.

“Do for what?” Maxwell barely managed to refrain from growling. “Would someone please tell me what in blazing hell is going on?”

Marian and Tessa began speaking at once, each trying to be heard over the other as Mikhail whistled below.

A sudden clap of thunder caused Maxwell to jump in surprise, and the smaller women shrieked in alarm, grabbing each other and hiding their faces. Clouds gathered overhead and a whistling wind howled through the night. Maxwell heard Greyson whinny in panic, and started towards his horse when Isobel spoke.

“She is here,” she breathed quietly, and Maxwell noted the dark frown on her face, the apprehension in her eyes.

Abruptly the tempest stilled, and Maxwell stared in shock as the figure of a tall woman appeared. Her eyes glowed and the dying wind whipped her silvery locks in the air. The moon caught her striking face and Maxwell felt an unwanted jolt of lust when her lips curved dangerously. The desire left as soon as it came, and left him feeling sick and shaky.

No one spoke.

The woman took a step forward and Tessa and Serena moved back, pulling Maxwell, whose arms they were holding onto, back with them. Even Mikhail came to his feet, taking up a stance as if prepared for attack. Only Isobel stood her ground, head high and challenging.

“So, we meet again, Isobel,” a darkly provocative voice filled Maxwell’s ears as the strange woman spoke.

“Vilondra,” Isobel inclined her head regally. “I wondered when you would come.”

“The Woodland Witch,” Tessa whispered, blue eyes wide as she gripped Maxwell’s arm.

Maxwell’s brows rose as he stared at the seductive woman. This was the fabled Woodland Witch? This beautiful stranger was the woman entire kingdoms heralded as the most fearsome creature imaginable? Capable of striking a man dead with one twitch of her eye?

“Is that your way of saying you missed me, sister dear?” the woman asked in an amused tone.

Sister? His enraptured gaze fell upon Isobel, who stiffened.

“Why have you come, Vilondra? As if I did not already know.”

With that, Vilondra sniffed in offense. “The heart breaks at your tone, Isobel. It truly does. But then again, I have not a heart to break, have I?”

She began laughing as a cold shiver ran down Maxwell’s spine at the sheer evil behind it. But that was nothing compared to when she turned slightly and snared him in her dangerous stare.

“So this is the man you hope to defeat me with,” she murmured, walking a slow circle around Maxwell, much as Isobel had done. Her brows lifted and she placed one long-nailed finger against her lips. “He does appear quite strong. Intelligent as well, I presume. Of course, the question will be… can he resist what I have to offer?”

“You know you can’t interfere with his will,” Isobel snapped coldly. “Not even you can break our code. You fool yourself if you believe to be invincible.”

“Ah, but codes were made to be broken,” Vilondra returned silkily. “It is simply a matter of finding a way. Of course, you could never understand that… so honest and untainted. You’d never allow yourself to see the truth, would you Isobel? You’re merely a pawn. When will you realize it?”

“You cannot interfere with free will,” Isobel repeated stiffly.

Once again, Vilondra’s eyes returned to Maxwell. “Not directly,” she murmured in a cryptic tone, and Maxwell stood straight and stared her right back in the eye. Damned if he would cower.

Vilondra smiled, both amused and irritated. “Well, well. So he is not just a pretty face. Maybe this time we shall actually have a true battle on our hands, sister.”

With those parting words, she disappeared within a swirl of mist.

“I would just love to turn her into a pincushion,” Serena muttered, jerking her arm out of Tessa’s and scowling in the direction Vilondra had been standing.

Tessa snorted. “You would end up the one with pins sticking out of her person, Serena. You know your power often fails you.”

Serena whirled around. “I shall turn you into one and we will soon see!”

“Quiet!” Isobel pressed her fingers against her head and struggled to banish the sick feeling in her stomach. She turned to Maxwell, who was waiting quietly.

“I assume you want answers,” she sighed in a weary tone.

“Your sister is the Woodland Witch?” he cut straight to the core, aware of Tessa and Serena’s censuring gaze. Mikhail made a noise that roughly sounded like a reprimand.

Isobel’s shoulders drooped slightly, but her gaze remained proud. “Yes. Vilondra was not always the vile creature she has become. But power easily becomes an addiction, and evil feeds on those that crave it.”

“What happened?”

She closed her eyes, and then began.
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

11/05/05 -

Hey guys.

This is an extremely difficult note to post, because it sort of signifies the end of an era for me. I hope all of you will understand and support my decision, and not hold it against me for any reason.

As of now, I am officially resigning from writing fanfic for Roswell. This is something that has been on its way for a while now, and the only reason I've been putting it off is because of the wonderful support you all have given me. But I'm afraid my time has come to an end. I've hit my stride, and there's no point in trying to deny it to myself any longer.

I'll always treasure the time I've spent getting to know all of you, and hopefully I've succeeded in entertaining you all as well. That's all I've ever wanted to achieve.

I won't lie and say that this moment doesn't bring me a sense of great relief - as much as I love this fandom, there are things that I hate about it, as well. Those are the things I won't miss. However, the negative pales in comparison to the positive and that's what I plan on taking with me. :)

I've been writing for Roswell since the first season, and never in my wildest imagination did I dream that it would turn out this way. The way you all have taken to my stories means more to me than you'll ever know. I'd like to thank everyone who ever took the time to give me a chance, who left me feedback, who nominated me for an award, who recommended me to a friend. It's because of you that I am where I am today. And you are what has made this journey so incredible for me.

I'd like to take this time to report that just because I won't be WRITING anymore stories for Roswell, doesn't mean I won't be around. I will be - chatting, reading, keeping the Roslove alive.

I will also still be writing, for those of you interested. From now on, I'm actively writing in the Veronica Mars fandom, and you can read any further works by me at The Pink Spy Pen or at My Journal. So if you're a fan of VM, I'd love to hear from you!

And please don't be afraid to drop me a line, anyway - either via PM here, or via my email at f0llow_the_butterflies@yahoo.com.

Last but not least, I will finish posting 4th and Inches and probably The Jade Tower, but other than that, I'm afraid I will be leaving some fics unfinished. I'm sorry for that, but I hope you can all understand my circumstances and the fact that Roswell no longer inspires me in that way. Once again, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me and I'll try to answer the best I know how.

It's truly been a pleasure, everyone.

Much love,

Lindsay (Applebylicious)
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Hi everyone! I'm back - rather belatedly, I know - with the next chapter to this story. I'll be beginning regular updates now that things have died down a bit in RL.

Also, I'll be having an author's chat over at DAS this Tuesday, Jan. 10th at 10PM EST, so all of you are welcome to attend! Click on my sig banner to be taken to DAS. I hope to see some of you there. :) Enjoy the new chapter!

- Lindsay

The Jade Tower - Chapter Four

Elizabeth crouched behind a tall hedge and wondered how she would make it past the royal guards who were posted outside of her father’s castle for the engagement ball. Good heavens, in the midst of all the excitement that evening, she’d nearly forgotten her engagement to Sir Maxwell.

Maxwell…

Her eyes closed and a pleasant quiver rippled through her as she pictured the handsome young man she’d met at the river. She was equal parts amazed and dismayed by the way she’d behaved. She could scarcely believe she’d allowed him to kiss her!

In truth, she’d allowed more than that, and the fact made her wince. Thankfully, they’d been interrupted before things could get completely out of hand. She’d never stopped to see who had come upon them, but on her race to grab her clothing, she’d heard the echo of girlish laughter.

Oh, here she was thinking of him again when she should be worrying about how to get back inside the castle without being caught! The first signs of dawn approached, tingeing the distant sky with streaks of pink. Elizabeth knew she must make it inside before she was discovered and turned over to her father. If she failed, there would surely be hell to pay.

She could not wait to find Marian and have the lady maid inform her of all that had occurred during her absence. Had Marian managed to fool her father? Was Sir Maxwell truly as handsome as he was rumored to be? Not that it made one whit of difference in the long run, but she could admit to a small measure of curiosity in the matter.

Her eyes widened, fingers tensing as she watched a heavily armored guard disappear beyond the drawbridge. Ah, this was it.

With a quick glimpse around her, she darted through the maze of darkness with the assuredness of one who’d spent many an hour strolling and playing within the confusing confines. Once on the other side, she hurried through the servant’s entrance and made her way to her Tower.

Removing the concealing cloak from her shoulders, she turned to find Marian waiting in her chambers. The young maid was still dressed in the extravagant gown and mask of the ball, but Elizabeth noted the frightened look in her eye.

“Marian?” she questioned, quickly making her way to the young woman’s side. “What has happened? Has my father discovered us?”

Marian’s eyes widened and she began shaking her head. “Oh, no Your Highness.”

Elizabeth released the breath she hadn’t realized she was holding. Of course her father hadn’t discovered her plans. If he had, she had no doubts that Marian would be paying the price instead of waiting inside her Tower rooms. That realization gave her a moment’s regret as she imagined the loyal maid suffering for her mistress’s whim.

“Well, then what is wrong?” she asked, preparing for bed. Luckily, she would not be expected to make an appearance until late in the day, thanks to the late-hours of the ball. She would be able to obtain some much-needed slumber. Maybe she would manage to dismiss a certain raven-haired gentlemen from her wayward thoughts.

“Well, my lady…” Marian chewed her lower lip as Elizabeth continued undressing.

Elizabeth raised a brow. Marian never referred to her as “my lady”, although the term was quite correct. She always used the over-illustrious idiom Your Highness. Something of which Elizabeth would have quite liked to forget at that particular moment.

“My lady,” Marian repeated, and then frowned. “It was quite strange. Sir Maxwell never arrived tonight.”

That made Elizabeth stop in her tracks. With a slow turn, she faced Marian. “Sir Maxwell did not appear at his own engagement ball?” she inquired politely, although her blood was boiling with rising ire.

How dared the rogue insult her by not even bothering to attend? At least she had had the decency to send in a replacement! Her dislike for Sir Maxwell grew with leaps and bounds.

“His Majesty was quite angered,” Marian continued, not noticing Elizabeth’s sour expression. “In fact, he ordered me to return here after King Philip arrived without your fiancé in tow. I fear he may have argued with King Philip.”

Elizabeth smiled smugly. “Well, perhaps now he shall desist this ridiculous notion of marrying me off to that vile man. After all, one thing Father simply cannot abide is to be insulted. Oh, I almost wish I could have seen the look on his face!”

Marian stared at Elizabeth in shock as the princess collapsed into a fit of laughter.

<center>***</center>

Maxwell waited silently as Isobel appeared to gather her thoughts. Serena and Tessa whispered back and forth, each eyeing him with an intensity that made him slightly uncomfortable. Lord only knew what the two effervescent women had planned for him.

Growing increasingly ill at ease, he broke the silence. “Allow me to make it simple, Vilondra is your younger sister and she has always been jealous that you gained power. So now she wants to usurp you and win control?”

“If it were only that easy,” Mikhail murmured behind a snort.

Maxwell turned to glare at him, but was stopped by Isobel’s soft voice.

“She is my older sister,” she admitted, sighing at the confusion in Maxwell’s eyes. “By all rights, the Visitor's realm should have gone to her when our mother stepped down. However,” she added with a sharp tone of regret, “Vilondra was very careless. She never adhered to the rules and conditions that we are governed by. She always assumed she would be Queen, so she believed the code did not apply to her.”

Maxwell nodded. He’d met many a young lord who had held the same mistaken belief. What was it about power that made people behave so superiorly? He’d been given all the power he could ever imagine, and all he wanted was to throw the burden from his shoulders.

“So she was passed over,” Maxwell surmised. “I can understand how that would make her embittered.”

“Yes, well, before bitterness there was anger,” Isobel answered, her voice stained with regret. “Vilondra hoped to overthrow me by means of manipulation, and may have achieved her goal, had it not been for a young Visitor who served my mother. Avania learned of Vilondra’s treachery and and risked her wrath to inform my warriors. Therefore we were able to avert disaster, and Vilondra was banished to the mortal realm.”

Maxwell shook his head in captivation. He felt as though he was home listening to the bards spin a tale, but this was all too true.

“For betraying her kind, she was shunned by us all. For many millennium all was well,” Isobel continued, “and I began to believe that perhaps Vilondra had finally realized her mistakes. I had hoped to allow her back into our world, for a part of me still grieves for my lost sister. But it was not to be. Vilondra has set her sights on a much grander prize. She wishes to gain control of the mortal realm.”

She turned to meet Maxwell’s gaze and he drew in a startled breath as her eyes began to swirl and flash in a multitude of colors.

“If she succeeds, all as you know it will be lost. She will have the means of controlling every man, woman, and child to her bidding and she could very well construct an army to contest me once again. I… we must not allow her to win.”

Maxwell swallowed but forced himself to speak over the sudden howling winds. “I have asked you before and not received answer. What have you with me?”

Isobel stiffened and then seemed to relax as she unclenched her hands. The wind died down to a lulling breeze and her eyes returned to their normal shade of brown. “There is only one way in which Vilondra may gain control of the mortal realm,” she spoke, “and that is by possession of the Jade Stone.”

“The Jade Stone?” he echoed. “A mere stone stands between total domination and peace? And let me assume, none of you have an idea where this magical pebble resides.”

Isobel ignored his sarcasm and merely smiled. “It is not for us to know. Only the keeper of the stone shall learn its whereabouts. And he shall be our salvation.”

“And who is this keeper?” Maxwell wondered aloud, interested despite himself.

However, her next words raised feelings of shock inside him. “You, Sir Maxwell of Antar. You shall be the one to save our people.”

Maxwell’s jaw fell open, then shut with an audible click. His stomach churned with memories of death and anger, of Alexander and thousands of faceless others. “Why have you chosen me?” he demanded in a rasp. “Surely there are any number of men… warriors… who could better serve you.”

A strange smile lit her eyes. “Ah, but none that have what I desire. Strength, courage, wisdom, and a stout heart capable of profound depths of love. No, do not be afraid,” she murmured when he began to stir. “I recognize that you believe yourself weak in matters of the heart. But you shall soon learn the truth.”

“The truth?” Maxwell echoed stiffly. “The truth is that all that you have uttered is a lie. Strength? Courage? I know of no such thing. Every moment I have spent in battle has been consumed with the worry that tomorrow I shan’t be alive to witness another sunrise.”

He stood and ran a shaky hand through his tousled locks. “You speak to me of wisdom?” he bit off. “Well, hear me now Good Visitor. I lost someone very important to me, due to a careless error on my part. If I had even a scrap of this honor and wisdom you bestow upon me, my men would not have died!”

“You must learn to leave the past alone,” she answered softly, and Maxwell whirled to face her.

“And matters of the heart? ‘'Tis a joke of the most severe. I have no such romantic feelings, I know not besides the pleasure between a man and a woman,” he cried, feelings of denial swimming in his gut. “You’ve chosen the wrong man.”

All was quiet with that last exclamation, and then Isobel reached a hand up to touch his shoulder. “You judge yourself needlessly. And ‘twas not I who chose you,” she stated firmly, and Maxwell faced her once again.

“You are wrong,” he replied to her first statement flatly. Then, “I cannot win this battle for you.”

Isobel lifted a hand and once again an image appeared in the air. An image of young Rose, bathing in the river with a blissful expression on her beautiful face. “Then win it for her. Think of what shall happen to her, and to others like her if we are to fail.”

“She means nothing to me,” Maxwell breathed the lie through a throat thick with desire and longing. She is not mine…

Isobel smiled sadly and the image disappeared. “Open your heart, Sir Maxwell, and recognize the truth within. We are more alike than you care to admit, are we not?”

Maxwell closed his eyes at the lingering image of Rose burned into his brain. A wave of helplessness battled with the ever-present need to protect. When he reopened his eyes, question burned within their golden depths. “I have often wondered…were I the only one,” he managed gruffly. “I have grown accustomed to being alone. In truth, this does not seem possible.”

“Anything is possible, sir knight.”

“I will not do this,” he whispered, but without any conviction. He opened his eyes at a small touch and found Serena and Tessa surrounding him. His mind began to swim in confusion as the ripe scent of clover filled his nostrils.

“What… what is happening…” he murmured, his tongue heavy and thick. He blinked but his body disobeyed his commands and began falling to the soft ground. Before everything went black, he heard the softly uttered decree.

“Sleep stalwart knight, and when you awaken, all will be different…”

To Be Continued...