NOT GUILTY!! AU/ Adult/ ML - AN 7/21/08 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hi guys, I'm back (for a little while) with the new chapter I promised. I hope you'll like it. Before I let read it, I'd like to tell you that I'll update my others fics soon (I hope I won't forget that promise!) and maybe if I can write a little one (1/1 part) I thought about a lot since days, I'll do it too.
Thanks for supporting that fic.

ken_r : hey Ken thank you for that fb. long not talk to you. hope you'll like it too and I agree with you.

begonia9508 : hey Eve, you too, it's been so long since we didn't talk. I was glad you liked this part, thank you. hope it'll be the same here.

roswell3053 : thank you. just starting....

Natalie36 : I know and it's not over..... thank you.

Michelle in Yonkers : welcome here and pleased that you liked it. yeah you said it, it's a hard subject. no Kyle had nothing to do with Tess. as Ken said and you followed, it's hard to judge such a case. you can as well condemn an innocent than let someone guilty free.

L-J-L 76 : hey Lizza, thank you for your pms. I hope you'll like this part.

guys I let you read that part now and I hope that we'll talk again after!!!

Chapter 11

On wednesday, at 6:00, the phone rang.
"I got it" Alex said.
"NO!! I mean no, that's for me." Liz replied.
She went to her office and closed the door.
"Hello"
"That's me. Did you see the judge today."
"Yeah"
"And???" he asked
Liz figured his fingers tightening on the phone, his face frowning... Sometimes, she was able to read him like an open book despite the wall he built.
"We won!!"
"We?"
"Yeah, you, Alex, Maria and me."
"Liz..."
"Actually, that's Maria who talked the most. I was only there to support her. She didn't let the judge to resist. He asked a lot of questions but Maria had always an answer. She should have been a senator or something else in politic. She's good...."

"And what will happen then?" he cut her off.
"The judge finally admitted that Alexandra needed to know that you didn't have a grudge against her. So he'll allow you to contact her.... by letter for the moment. But it's a beginning, right?.
There was a silence and Liz, once again, figured Max's look, certainely the same that he had when the judge pronounced the sentence.
"What's the next step?"
"I'm waiting for the best moment to read your letter to Alex."
"You? I thought that Maria would do it."
"She asked me to do it."
"So?"
"So what?" Liz exclaimed.

Max figured two little wrinkles that appeared on her forehead when she was upset. He remembered her face, the freckles on her nose that she stubbornly tried to hide under the make up... her mischevious look...
Max was thinking about Liz. Ben looked at him intrigued and eventually Max noticed it, he turned his back. 10 years after their first encounter, Liz Parker continued to make him dream of her!
"So...you're going to read the letter?" he grumbled.
"I've just said it!"
Liz sighed "Max? I think that you're grinding your teeth! You're always doing that when you're upset."
Unwillingly, Max loosened his jaws. Some old memories came to make fun of him, strengthening his feeling of loneliness, that was his life now.
"I have to go back to work."
Liz burst out laughing "You can't stand that I'm right, huh?"
Max relaxed a little "Yeah. Because you think that you're ALWAYS right. But sometimes, you don't. In that case, YOU don't pay for that."
There was a long silence.
"That's true, YOU paid for that."
All the laugh in her voice disappeared.
"Forget what I've just said."
"Impossible, what is said, is said."
And she hang up abruptly.
Max frowned, the phone in his hand and he cursed himself.

When she was a little girl, Liz was used to decorated the christmas tree just before Christmas Eve and she continued to do it since then.
This year, she decided to change that tradition and the air was fragrant with the smell of the enormous christmas tree that was in a corner of the living room.
Liz thought that decorating the tree would distract Alex, unfortunately, Alex seemed more depressed than ever.
"What do you think Sweetie, do I add another gold bowl?"
Alex shrugged. "Mom liked silvered christmas trees with red bowls."
Like the one they prepared last year. They spent Christmas at Tess's house and a week later, on New Year's eve, Tess killed herself on a car crash.

"Are you sad because our tree doesn't look like your mom's one?"
"No....But everything is....different."
Liz wrapped her arms around Alex's fragil shoulders and pulled the little girl on her knees. "I'd like you to give me a kiss".
She didn't need to say it twice, Alex hugged her and kissed her adoringly. For a second, Liz thought about Max. If he held his daughter on his knees and kissed her, he would immediatly be thrown into jail....That's terrible!

"The fire is beautiful, isn't it?"
Alex didn't answer and Liz saw that she was looking at her and Tess's photo taken so many years before, when they were students.
"Mommy Liz....... was my mom beautiful?"
"Yes Sweatheart, very beautiful."
Alex's eyes darkened.
"Zoey said that her mom and dad were the most beautiful of the World."
"Ah yeah?"
"Mmm.....She asked me if my dad was beautiful."
Liz felt her throat tighten.
"What did you say?"
"Nothing...... I don't remember him."
"Do you want to see his picture?"
Alex nodded slowly without saying a word.
"I'm going to my office, I'm sure that I'll find one."
Five minutes later, Liz came back and opened a file. There was an article from an old newspaper. The journalist talked about Max Evans's and a little boy he healed. He didn't smile and his eyes were serious cause he didn't like the publicity they did about that case.

"Did he really sew the little boy's arm?"
"Yeah. And one year later, that little boy could play baseball again."
Alexandra observed the picture and caressed it with her finger. "Maria said that my dad is no longer in jail."
"That's true. Are you happy?"
"Yeah... I guess..... I don't really know."
"You know Alex, sometimes..... I don't really know what to think or how to feel and that scares me."
Alexandra looked up at Liz stunned. *Mommy Liz could be scared too?*
"Sometimes... Sometimes, I'm so scared that I can't sleep." she confided in Liz.
Liz pulled her against her chest and kissed her. She'd like to soothe her fears, to promise her that nobody would hurt her.....
"Mommy Liz, do you believe that sometimes my dad is scared too?"
"Yes Honey, I believe that he's often scared."
"Of what?"
"Hmmm.... That people could think that he's a bad person because he was in jail. I think that he's feeling lonely."
"Mom forbade me to tell to people that my dad was in jail. But everyone in my class knew it cause they saw my dad's picture in the newspapers."
"I know."

The journalists have condemned Max even before his trail began. And she did the same.....
She stared blankly at the fire, feeling a deep sadness invading her. She closed the file noticing Alex's frown.
"What's wrong Alexandra? Are you sad because we talked about your father?"
The little girl nodded. "Do you think that I'll see him again?"
"Do you want to see him?"
Alexandra bit her lips. "I think so... but at one condition! He has to want it too. Mom said that my dad didn't love me, that he had been forced to marry her, because of me."
Liz felt torn when she saw Alex's face. How has Tess been so cruel for her own little girl? Liz was not surprised that Max had a grudge against her.... Liz understood now.
"Alex.... I have to tell you something. It's about your dad."
The little looked at her seriously but didn't say a word. Liz gathered her thoughts and sighed.
"Alex... Do you remember the day I drove out of town whilst you were at Zoey's?"
"You said that you had to visit a friend."
"Yeah. That friend....that was your dad."
"You saw my dad?"
"Yeah. We talked about you. I told him that you grew up, that you were a very pretty little girl.... and that you had a lot of nightmares."
"And....What did he say?"
"He wrote a letter for you. Do you want me to read it?"

Alexandra bit her lips for a moment, not knowing what to say. Finally, she looked at Liz a frightened look in her eyes. "Would you be angry if I said yes?"
"Of course not. That's the opposite. The letter is in my room."
"Mommy should have been furious. She didn't want me to talk about Dad."
"I do think that it's good for you to talk about him with me and mostly with Maria."
"Is that true?" Liz could read on her poor face a mix of confusion and relief.
"True. Come with me."
They went upstairs and Alex sat down on Liz's bed. Liz felt nervous when she took the letter from the drawer but she hid it for Alex's sake. Slowly she opened it and handed it to the little girl. "I prefer you to read it."
"Ok."

She cleared her throat trying to repress the emotion that threatened to overwhelm her.
"I began...."
"My beloved daughter,
Your birthday will come in less than 3 months and I'm sure that you're eager to reach that day. You always loved the birthdays, mostly because of the gifts. And you loved the chocolate cakes too. Perhaps, Liz will make one like she did for your first birthday.
Honey, it's hard for me to think that you grew up, you're 10 years old now. I remember you when you were born, you were a little tiny but so adorable pink baby. When I held you in my arms, I knew that I never held something as precious as you in my all life. It's always true.
I love you more than I could tell you. I loved during that trial even if I didn't understand why you said those things about me, I loved you then and I never stopped loving you.
Your aunt Liz told me that you had nightmares, that you felt guilty, that you were scared that I had a grudge against you. Please forget that my little Baby.
I had a lot of time to reflect. I know that I wasn't a good dad for you because I was not often at home. You surely felt abandoned. I'm sorry for that. Please don't believe that I don't love you cause that won't ever happen.
Aunt Liz is very kind for you and I'd like you to do what she asks you to do. Listen to Dr Deluca too, she'll help you to stop those nightmares. Ok?
I kiss you on your nose.
Your dad who always loves you."

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT......................................................................
the way he looks into her eyes.....
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hey guys, I'm back with another part. my beta Amy aka FamersAmers helped me to correct my mistakes so I hope you'll like this part. the last part was a little emotionnal given to that letter Max wrote to his daughter but this one will be.... just read it and tell me!
thanks Amy cause despite a flu, she had finished it quickly.
thanks to you all for the great fbs they mean a lot for me, thanks for the lurkers but if you could go out from your lurkerland, I would be more than interested to read your impressions too. so don't be shy :wink:

begonia9508- Eve the path will be long for Max to be rehabilitated cause it won't be easy to erase what people believed for years but let's hope that his life will be better cause he's a broken man for the moment.

L-J-L 76 - Lizza once again, I can't answer all your questions but I think that you'll be glad if you read that part cause some of them will receive their answer. but don't take anything for granted, you know it's like in RL.and thanks for the support you give to that fic.

Natalie36 - sorry for that. that was not the purpose but if you still stick with me I'll be very glad!

roswell3053 - I think that Liz always knew Tess and her defects but that was her sister and most of all, she couldn't let a pervert free. Ok, she was wrong, Max was innocent and Alex paid for that so does Max.

ken_r - Ken, this fic is realistic cause, like you said so well, people like Tess exist, children like Alex exist to... the exception, Max going to jail. unfortunately, parents forget that they create a innocent and they don't care to hurt that innocent. Alex knows that she's different but the most important for her is that her father don't hold a grudge on her.that's the case.

I SAID TO AMY THAT I'LL SEND SOME NEW PARTS OF MY OTHER FICS, I HOPE THAT I'LL BE ABLE TO DO IT SOON, SO KEEP CHECKING IF YOU LIKE THOSE FICS!!!

Chapter 12

Max hated Sundays. When he was in jail that was the day of the visits, outside that was a day for the families to be reunited. Max always worked on Sunday, he couldn’t help it.

It was 10:00 am. In two hours, the Horseshoe would open and the regulars would arrive.
Max finished washing the dirty glasses from pervious evening, wiped his hands and drank his cup of coffee. This was the sixth cup of the day or maybe the seventh, he had lost count.

He needed some caffeine to keep his mind clear, he didn't sleep most of the night and when he eventually closed his eyes around 5:00 he dreamt of Liz.

He was holding her in his arms and kissing her. When he woke up, he couldn't get the moment she was against his chest off his mind. He remembered how soft and warm she felt enclosed in his arms.

But Max had to be realistic. He knew that Liz's attitude meant anything. Liz was sensitive, spontaneous; she was used to kissing people without sexual connotation. Liz didn't try to seduce men like her sister, sometimes, Max wanted ike her to be like Tess, it would be easier to resist her.

He gulped the last bit of coffee and moved the muscles of his shoulders to try to relax. He was silly to think about Liz, to remember the sweetness of her hair, the warmth of her body....

*Liz was certainly far from thinking to sleep with me!* he thought while he was rinsing a glass. To tell the truth, he didn't think about it either till the moment he held her against his body.

He only thought about his daughter, Alex, and he was suffering. Liz understood that and wanted to comfort him. When he thought back to it he understood that she felt guilty. There might have even been a hint of pity. That thought hurt him deeply.

Lifting the glass in his hand to check if it was clean, he heard the door open and a woman's figure appeared at the doorway.

"Sorry, we're opening at noon." he said loudly to dominate the noise in the street.

"That's what I thought when I didn't see the motorbikes on the parking lot."

Max looked up at her stunned. "Liz?"

"Hi, it's a beautiful day, isn't it? Christmas weather."She closed the door behind her and walked toward the counter. She sat down on the stool. This time she wore a more comfortable clothing, a pair of jeans with a big woolen sweater that had a rich golden color. It embellished her beautiful brown eyes perfectly.

"I wanted to come to see you." She smiled and Max felt his pulse racing. She had that mischievous smile that always drove him crazy with a fierce yearning to ravish her!

"I can't serve alcohol before noon. That's the law."

"I only want you to give me a few minutes of your time." He reminded himself of the softness of her body against his. Did he ever want a woman like he wanted Liz?

"I can do that." he said cooly.

Liz surprised him and he had revealed apart of himself.. However, he recovered his composure quickly. He was ready to fight the incredible desire he felt for her, he was ready to fight against her kindness, her softness...

Liz ignored his coolness and looked around the bar. This was the place where Max spent a lot of hours. "It’s different when there are no clients. It’s more.... friendly."

"I wouldn't use that word for this place."

"No?"

She blinked. With the years passing by, Liz had become amazingly beautiful. She however didn’t realize her beauty. That is what separated her from Tess and that is what made him think that maybe he could trust her.

*Maybe you are a complete idiot* he heard a little voice mocking him.

"Liz, this bar is awful. Haven’t you seen the floor?"

"I do, and I think that this place is romantic and full of history." A gleam of defiance enlightened her doe eyes and she looked at Max to see how he reacted to the comment.

"As you like. Let's say that it's romantic?" he mumbled.

"And.... charming!" she really was losing it!

"You're exaggerating Lizzie, it is anything but charming. !"

"I have that tendency to exaggerate!"

"That's worse! You're loosing your mind!" Liz burst out laughing and Max felt his body burn with a wave of desire more powerful than the first. He fought against it and began to wash a dirty glass to divert his thoughts.
"
You should have a dishwasher." He smiled at her.

"Then I would be out of a job."

Watching his hands move fascinated Liz. As he aged his body was much stronger and he gave the impression that nothing could weaken him.

He rinsed the last glass and let the water flow out the sink. His hands were tanned and Liz couldn't help but think about them on the pale skin of her breasts, but as soon as she realized where her thoughts were headed, she chased them. Her thoughts took a dangerous path this morning. She had no right to fantasize about Max, that was out of question.

"If you offer me a soda, I'll dry the glasses up."

"No need to dry up." he said serving her a soda.

She smiled and thanked him. She admired the powerful muscles of his arms and she felt her throat drying. She shouldn't cave into her yearning to come to talk to him about his letter. When they were one on one, he was not only Alex’s father, he was a man, an attractive, interesting man who was weighed down by the past. He was a man, she began to like. She quickly took a drink of her soda.

"Where is Alex today?"

"At Zoey’s, they are preparing biscuits for Christmas." Max nodded, filled a glass of water and swallowed it straight.

Liz waited for him to talk but he didn't do it. In the past, they talked for hours and now they hardly able to have a conversation. It was very sad and almost embarrassing.

She pushed the glass away from her and wondered if Max was waiting for her to leave. Maybe he was annoyed by her presence, or maybe he had to work and needed her to leave. Sunday was certainly busy at the bar.

"I read your letter to Alex, yesterday evening. You wrote exactly what she needed to hear."

"Did you come here to tell me that?" She looked up at him and saw that Max was staring at her, suspicious.

"That is part of the reason. The other, I needed to relax. The drive was good for me and since you were able to make the drive, I figured I could too.”

"You could have just called, but thank you” Then it hit him, he had opened his heart and gave a part of himself in that letter. Now he was uncomfortable, he walked toward the other side of the counter to fill a cup of coffee. He asked her if she wanted one too but she refused. She was nervous enough without it.

Max understood that Liz was not going to leave and while he was sipping his coffee, he wondered if he could trust her. She looked so calm and serene that he caved into his envy to talk to her.

"Everything I wrote in this letter was sincere Liz. I was never there for my daughter and that's why Tess could make Alex believe all her lies. Alexandra didn't know me, I was a stranger for her. I still am." There was a sadness in his eyes that Liz wished she could take away.

"We all have regrets Max. Even Tess, if it was even possible, I guess." She wanted to believe her sister still had some good in her. She had to force herself to believe that.

"Concerning Tess, I'm less generous than you."

"That was your daughter's mother."

"I know. That's even the reason why I married her." He wasn’t going to lie to her.

Sensing his anxiety, Liz felt that she had to leave him alone. "I'm wasting your time..."

"I made a mistake Liz. I slept with her, it only happened once, now look where we are" he said this without looking at her.

"Then why did you do it?"

He didn't expect her to ask him such a straight question. Liz wasn’t the type of person to avoid the truth. She sought it out and she wouldn’t go until she got it.

He turned around slowly and lowered his head. This was not going to be easy to explain

"I was exhausted abd extremely tired. I hadn’t had sex in months and Tess threw herself at me." he tightened his fist and hit the counter. "I would give anything to take it back”

"Alex wouldn't be her and you wouldn't have that adorable little girl." That was truth. He adored her and he would have gone crazy had it not been for her.

"I didn't go crazy thanks to Alexandra."

"Everybody makes mistakes Max. I... Four years ago, I...." She couldn't finish her phrase.

"If you had the choice, would you have acted the same way?" Max asked avoiding her eyes.

"I often ask myself that question. When I couldn’t sleep and then everything..... happened, I wondered how could I be so wrong about you? I thought I should have guessed, seen revealing signs. Why did I refuse to see the truth? You were my best friend and I didn’t understand.” Max felt bad for her, it had been rough for her too.

"Tess didn't help you to clear your mind either.”

"No. My sister had her reasons to act like she did. I was trying to stay out of the way.”

"I think that she was jealous of you."

"Of me? Why?"

"You always had lots of friends since she was lonely."

"I know. Tess considered all the women in her life like her rivals except me. I was her older sister, I was the one who protected her…from everything.” She sighed

That didn't prevent Tess from to seducing all of her boyfriends and then dumping them when they would get really into her. That's certainly the reason why Max interested her, he was a challenge for her. He resisted her.

"Max, let's make a deal? Let's stop talking about Tess. Each time we do it, we fight and you are very angry."

“And…”

"You know…I had a lot of friends growing up, thousands of them… but you were my best friend. The one friend that I could go to for anything and everything. When you married Tess, I missed you, I lost you.” She hung her head and didn’t notice Max coming and sitting next to her in the booth.

“I missed you too. Do you think we could ever be friends again?” she didn’t smile.

"I don't know, it might not be such a good idea” she looked up at him, tears in her eyes. “You look at me and there is so much hatred in your eyes”

"You caught me off guard. I didn't expect to see you."Their eyes locked and Max wanted to hold her tight in his arms but he didn't dare. He only took her hand.

"That's when you reveal the most to me, when I catch you off guard. I start to see the real you again.”

He was surprised and enchanted that she didn't try to take her hand off. A little more confident, he brushed her skin with a finger. She shivered but didn't try to push him away.

"You are the psychologist. You know your subject. I don’t resent you like I once did but there are days when I think it would be easier to hate you.”

"Easier, easier for who, you?" She was so disturbed that she couldn't concentrate on what she was saying.

"I had better go." She tried to take her hand off but Max's fingers tightened around hers.

"Why, are you scared of me?”

"No. Of course not."

"Are you afraid someone will see you with a parolee?” she glared at him, how dare he.

“How dare you” the words hissed out of her mouth

"That's not an answer."

"I’m not afraid that people will see us together, nor do I care. I don’t care about any of it.” He quivered at her words and he understood that he had hit a sensitive point.

"That's what bothers me the most. I think that the people I need most in this world are afraid to be around me” she could see his fear and she sighed and sat back down.

"Max, she isn’t afraid to be around you. You are going to get a new trial Max, you are going to be cleared.” He glared at her but Liz didn’t let that stop her.

"If I have to trust someone it will only be Michael” that hurt her, that stung.

"Why” Some strands of hair flowed around her pretty face. With the tips of his fingers, he caressed her face. The tenderness of his act moved her more than anything.

"A smile from you could make a man conquer the world." He wasn’t even on topic but he spoke from his heart.

“No, you can conquer the world without the smile." Max locked his eyes with hers and she felt like if she was paralyzed. She couldn't talk.

"Sometimes...."

The words died on Max's lips. He leant and captured her mouth with his. Liz felt a wave of desire invading her throat and her breasts.

Without thinking, she wrapped her hands around his neck and, as if he waited for that move to react, Max tightened his grip around her waist and pulled her against his chest.
Unable to resist, Liz surrendered, Max enveloped her with his arms and kissed her hungrily.

The pleasure flared within her erasing any other sensation. She kissed him back, her hands running on his strong shoulders, tasting the warmth of his skin before they slid greedily on his soft hair.

Max understood, too late, that Liz wouldn't stop him and he had no willpower to resist her, to resist to her sensuality.

When Liz's lips touched his, all his defenses fell. It had been a long time since a woman had desired him like this. Unable to keep the control, Max let his hands explore the tender body of this woman.

Her sweater was incredibly soft but her skin was even softer. Her breasts heaved and he felt her pulse when he moved his hands up her torso.

His fingers were trembling, his desire more urgent....but suddenly, he was scared. She was so fragile, so delicate. This woman he knew so well, this woman he didn’t know at all.

He felt a blast of desire tear his body but he found the strength to pull away. He wondered how.

"People are going to arrive soon" he wiped the corner of his mouth leaving her breathless, her chest heaving

"What?”

He observed her flushed cheeks, her tousled hair, her swollen lips he devoured earlier...

"The people, the bikers. Big Mike and his friends will be here."

"Mike? He came back?” she shook her head in confusion.

"No, but his friends came back." Liz shivered.

"When I saw your blood...." Max interrupted her kissing her. When their mouths parted, Liz caressed the bruise on his cheek.

"Oh I want... I... I don't know."Max felt his throat tighten. He wanted to kiss her again, to never let her go, but he didn't dare to do it. His desire was too burning.

"Be careful on the road. There is a lot of traffic on Sunday." He didn’t want to go, he didn’t want her to leave.

"I have to go, Alex will get worried."She seemed so fragile with her tousled hair and her moist lips, he felt his heart racing in his chest. But he let his hands go and stepped back.

"Kiss Alex for me, she wont know it is from me, but…” she smiled at him.

"I will” she turned away, did she really come here for this. Her blood was flowing furiously. This was the proof that she never desired a man like she did for Max.

At the doorway, she turned around to look at him. He was at the same place, his eyes locked on her figure.

“Merry Christmas Max”

“Merry Christmas Liz”

TBC…IF YOU WANT IT.........................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hi guys! I'm back with a new chapter. I didn't want to annoy Amy (aka FamersAmers) and beta me, at this time of year, I know that she'll more than busy with Christmas preparations. So, I hope that you'll forgive my mistakes. Amy will be back for the next chapters.
Two things again : that fic was on the "dead and buried" thread, that means that I don't have the fbs you left on the previous chapter.
Second, I just wanted to wish you all a very merry Christmas.

So here is the chapter.

Chapter 13

That was not like if no one has ever kissed her before... Liz thought stretching under the blanket. In the past, she has had two lovers, tender and considerate. She even was engaged with the second. Maybe she might have married him.

At least, she wouldn't remained awaken, dreaming of Max's tanned body.

She dreamt that his strong and brown hands were kneading her breasts, exciting her nipples, then lowering toward her belly then her legs. She visionned Max's golden eyes widening with desir and her body arched under the sheets.

The power of her imagination was so strong than she felt her throat drying and her hands sweating. She dreamt that she was caressing Max's hard torse again and again.
Then, she breathed violently and closed her eyes. The fire was burning her inside and she had no way to appease her body.
~~~~~~~~~~
Max hit the pillow with his wist and tried to doze off like he used to do in jail. But the enlighten numbers of his watch seem to taunt him. Within one hour, he'll have to wake up.

He closed his eyes and tried to sleep but Liz's face appeared again. He reminded of golden sparks in her eyes.Never before a woman did look at him with that emotion and that sensuality.

She had a way to smile even when he was talking about something serious. And that look.... timid and bold in the same time. He loves to hear her laugh, he loves to stare at her when she talks about Alexandra. Yeah, a man could endure the worst to have a woman like Liz by his side.
A lover like Liz in his arms, too....

In jail, he learnt to repress his physical needs. When he quit it, he didn't feel the need to break that habit. He continued to live without making love. But the hungry desire he felt for her was eating him.

That was not only about sex. The emotion was strong too. Max wanted everything. He wanted to possess everything : her warmth, her understanding, her body.

For the moment, that was her body that he wanted. He needed to feel it against his, to feel her softness and he wanted to contemplate Liz at the edge of the passion, he wanted to press his body against hers, inside hers. That last thought brought fire in his veins.
Her mouth... he imagined her smooth lips, her body ready for him. He imagined himself penetrating her heat... He wanted to caress her, to be caressed by her tiny hands....His body twisted with desir....
Unfortunately, he was alone.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Dring! dring!"
The telephone ring woke him up. His arm was under the pillow, the blanket wound around his hips, Max decided to ignore the noise which was boring his ears, but the ring insisted.
"Sh... " he mumbled rolling over to pick up the phone "Yeah???"
"Geez, Max! Did you decide to hide from the surface of the Earth? I'll call you back when you'll wake up" Michael Guerin exclaimed.

Max yawned, stretched his members and contemplated the sun shinning through the curtains.
"What time is it?" he asked yawning again.
"Almost noon. Did you spend a crazy night?" he asked laughing.
"Sort of"
"Do you want to talk about it?"
"No"

Michael remained silent for a while. When he talked again, his voice was serious.
"I got an answer from Valenty."
Max sat down abruptly and threw the blanket away.
"So?"
"He agrees to review the trial."

Max lay against the pillow and closed his eyes overwhelmed by the emotion. Then, he recovered his composure and a neutral voice.
"When?"
"2 or 3 months. But there is one condition. Alexandra has to give evidence again."

Max tightened his wists. He closed his eyes sighing painfully. Then he opened them and contemplated the ceilling.
"Didn't you suggest to him to just have a written evidence?"
"Of course I did. But he wants to interrogate the little girl himself."
"Why don't you ask Dr Deluca to talk for Alex's name?"

"Valenty pretends that it's impossible. That's not professionnal. To tell the truth, I think that he doesn't want to make a mistake. People are very sensitive about that kind of case. I can understand him, he wants to cover himself."

Max looked at the only picture he had from his daughter. If she testified at the trial, the reporters would publish her portrait in the first page on the tabloïds. Everyone would see her face at the tv, she'd be as famous as a rock star. That kind of situation could break down someone as sensitive than Alexandra was.
Max stroked his face.

"That was not expected Mike. We can force Alex to do it."
There was a silence. He heard Mike sigh.
"You should have allowed me to interrogate her during the first trial."
"She was only 5. You could break her down!"

"Now, she's 10 and you continue to protect her!"
"That's normal, I'm her father!!!"
"Geez, Max! I know that. But she LIED. Because of her and her mother, you have as many chances to become a pediatrician again than me to get my arm again!!!!"

"I'm sure that we can convince Valenty to accept a written evidence. Try again."
"And what if I failed? Will you give up on that unique chance you have to be innocented... to protect a little girl you barely know?"
"Stop that Mike!"

"Think about it Max. Think about it when you'll be behind your counter serving biers to those drunk men."
And without waiting for his friend's answer, Michael hung up the phone.
~~~~~~~~~~
Two days later, Max was in town. Pierce had accepted him to be paroled and to work at the Horseshoe at one condition. Max had to endure medical examinations every months, thus, the court was sure that he was not addicted to drugs or alcohol.
Max hated to come to Dr Diane Delgado's office. It reminded him of the smells, noises and diplomas that he had lost.

"Did you make your last Christmas purchases, Max?" Diane asked.
The first time he came here, Dr Delgado glared at him. She treated him like people treated prisonners. They feel uncomfortable around them. But as the months went by, they began to talk more friendly.

"I didn't begin to do it." Max mumbled as he was fastening his shirt buttons.
"Did you hear about some interesting stores?"
"You know, at the Horseshoe, people talk generally about the price of the cows and bulls."

"Even the women?" she teased him.
"I suppose"

As she was talking, Dr Delgado prepared the bill and handed it to Max.
"That's not fair. They obliged you to make those examinations and they obliged you to pay for them too."
"I prefer that than return to jail." Max replied.
"I understand." Dr Delgado said.
Max said goodbye and left.

That was a very cold morning. They said on the radio that snow will fall soon. Max closed his coat and walked toward Main Street. He was walking rapidly among some passersby who were looking at the windows and talking on the sidewalk.
"Mommy, Mommy, look at the beautiful doll!"

Max froze when he heard the little girl yell behind him. He turned around and looked at the all pink dressed little girl. She was excited as she stared at the window, he saw her parents share a tender look.

At the window, there were 3 teddy bears seated at a table and a porcelain blond doll was serving them some tea.
"May I have it, Daddy?.... Daddy, say yes, pleeeaaase!"
"You'll ask to Santa." he said sending a questionning look to his wife.
She shook her head. "I think that you've already sent your letter to Santa, don't you remember?"
The little girl pouted, disappointed. Then, her little face enlightened "I don't mind. I'll send him a fax!".
Her parents burst out laughing, and they continued to walk, talking and laughing.

Max followed them with his eyes, thoughful. Then, he looked at the window and looked at the beautiful doll. It costs a fortune. At least for him, it'll cost one week of his salary.
Sighing, he made some steps and suddenly stopped. His eyes were glued to the Christmas tree behind the teddy bears.
It was decorated with some little glass blown objects that were swaying at the end of the branches. They captured the light like sparkles of crystal, fragile like love and trust.

Then he turned his back to the window and walked toward his pick up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was almost midnight and the house was silent. Alexandra was sleeping and surely dreaming of the beautiful toys she would find the morning after.

Cuddled on a couch, a glass of champagne in her hand, Liz was contemplating the flames dying in the fireplace.
Alex finally got interested in Christmas preparations, Max's letter helped her. She kept it under her pillow.

The house was decorated, the Christmas biscuits in their box, the gifts arranged under the tree... Actually, everything was perfect.

Perfect?

Liz ignored the question and stood slowly stretching her body. She was about to switch off the lightened garland when she heard the doorbell ring.
Repressing a cry, she froze. Who could come to visit this late?
The doorbell rang once again. Liz breathed deeply and walked toward the door. Despite her heart racing, she opened it...
"Max!"

TBC...IF YOU WANT IT........................................................