NOT GUILTY!! AU/ Adult/ ML - AN 7/21/08 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

martine
Addicted Roswellian

NOT GUILTY!! AU/ Adult/ ML - AN 7/21/08 [WIP]

Post by martine »

Title: NOT GUILTY
Category: M/L and some M/M
Rating: ADULT/NA

Disclaimer: I don't own anything, the characters belong to JKatims and Melinda Metz

Summary: Sentenced for abusing his daughter.... That's what led Max Evans to jail, and that was his little girl's that dragged his sister-in-law Liz Parker to accuse him of violence on his daughter. Liz Parker was designed as Alexandra's step-mother. One day, Alex woke up from a nightmare and confessed to her mother that she lied...Her father had never done anything wrong on her, that was her mother, Tess, who forced her to lie because of the divorce.
Now Liz has a goal: to prove Max Evans's innocence....But for that, she has to find out where he is living since he's on parole....That means that she has to face him and all the memories which are hidden in the bottom of her heart...

A/N : I have that idea since very long and I thought that maybe I could begin to post it. I don't know what you'll think about it. The subject was important for me and I'd try to make it soft. It will only be about a desastrous mistake that led a honest man and a loving father to become a wall of ice.

And I still don't know how to make or post a banner, so if someone want to make it for me, that would be great!!! if someone want to help me to write in a better english, feel free to tell me too

Chapter 1

It was midnight when cries woke Liz Parker up. She ran to her adoptive daughter, sat on her bed and tried to soothe her fears. "Alex! Wake up honey. You had a nightmare"

Alexandra blinked and looked at her blankly. "Mom...Mommy Liz?"

The 10 years old girl adored Liz, the elder sister of her mother. One year ago, Tess Parker Evans died in a crash car and Liz had adopted her niece and since then they were family for each other. "I'm here honey, shhh, it's ok Alex. Don't worry I'm here."

Actually, Liz knew that the little girl was perturbed. She was psychiatrist for children and understood that her bad mood, the cries and nightmares she had were the signs of a deep crisis.

She held Alexandra tightly against her chest and the terrified little girl wrapped her arms around her neck and nestled into her aunt's arms. Her heart was racing and her face was as pale as a ghost. "Do you want to tell me about your nightmare, Honey?" Liz asked softly.

Alexandra shook her head and tightened her grip on Liz's shoulders "Mommy Liz.....is my daddy really in jail?" she asked with tears in the voice.

"Yeah. Alex, we told you.. I mean with your mother, we explained to you after the trail, don't you remember?" Liz asked.

So that was the problem..... Her painful past. The little girl couldn't get over what happened with her father. Liz remembered Max Evans, leaving the dock with handcuffs, after he had been accused for abusing his own child. He had been sentenced for years for that crime.

The judge had charged him mostly because he was a pedestrian and he was every day with other children and his victim was his own daughter. Since 5 years he was in jail and Liz hoped that he wouldn't get a reduction of the sentence.

Alexandra looked at her step-mother with eyes full of tears "Mommy Liz?.....Why is Daddy in jail?" she asked again.

Liz sighed. She always knew that sooner or later Alex would ask that question..... and what she had to tell her. "When you were 5 years old, your father had a weird behavior with you. Do you remember when we went with your mother to talk to that gentle police officer? The judge questionned you, a lot then he had decided that your father had to be punished. That's why he is in jail." she explained slowly to the little girl.

Liz tried to talk quietly but just thinking about Max Evans made her feel nauseous. "Sarah's step-father said that jail is a terrible place and people can die because they feel too miserable."

"That's true, but it's not your fault. If your dad is in jail, that's because he hurts you."

"But....But if...If I didn't say that to the judge.... Dad wouldn't be compelled to go to jail..." she said with tears flowing on her cheeks.

Liz wiped her cheek with a shaking finger "Alex, listen to me honey.... You've been right to tell the truth about your father. We always have to tell the truth even if it's very hard, and whatever the consequences could be. Don't worry, it wasn't your fault."

Alexandra sat up and began to play with the buttons of her pyjama... Liz saw that she was going to cry again. "I... I saw a film on the tv the last time I slept at Sarah's house." Alex stammered "That....was about... they were explaining what could happen if you didn't tell the truth."

"And that film....moved you?"

Alex's face tensed and once again tears were flowing on her cheeks "I..... I didn't want to lie.... I knew that that was a sin.... But I.... I was sc....scared... I wanted to stay with Mommy, do you understand?"

LIE?

Liz tried to stay quiet, but she felt like if blood left her body... She couldn't breath...

"When did you lie honey?" she asked slowly

"When I said that..... About Daddy."

Liz felt like if a enormous stone fell on her. She chose the right words to question even more her adoptive daughter.
"You said to the judge that you were scared of your father. Was that true?"

Alexandra shook her head.... "I was never scared of him, but..... I didn't see him as often as I wanted... He was always working at the hospital to heal the other children. Once I had some fever, he read a story when I was in my bed and that was great."

"Alex... Please try to remember.... and tell me : were you scared or.... did you feel ache when your father was touching you?"

"NOOOO. He always kissed me on the cheek and tightened the blankets of my bed for me to not fall down... That's all."

"Why? Why did you say to the judge that your father were doing bad things on you?"

Alexandra looked away and didn't answer. "Alex?" Liz insisted "Why did you say that if that was not true?"

"Mom...Mom told me that I have to." Alex whispered.

"Your mom told you to lie?" Liz asked as she tried to keep quiet.

"Yeah"
"Why?"

The little girl began to sob and blurted "Because of the divorce...." she murmured "Mom said that Daddy didn't love me.... that I have to tell that to the judge for us to not be separated."

Alexandra tightened her grip around Liz's neck and sobbed painfully. "Cry Honey..." she said rocking her niece "I'm sure that you'll feel better."

WHAT DO YOU THINK? SHOULD I STOP? I'M WAITING FOR YOUR FBS!!!
Last edited by martine on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 24 times in total.
the way he looks into her eyes.....
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

Hey guys, I'm back with a new chapter, I hope you'll like it. Here I tried to explain what brought about the situation Liz and Alex were. the next part will be about Liz meeting Max. I wrote a long part, I hope that you won't be bored, and I'm waiting for your fbs to tell me if I can continue or I better stop it.

but, first, let's thank the readers and lurkers who gave a chance to that fic to exist. I hope that you'll forgive my faults if you find them, I'm doing my best with English, but that's not easy! :oops:

Michelle17- well I hope that that part will answer some of your questions. For the meeting?? You'll have to wait the next part.

francesca - thank you! and I hope you'll read that part and the next to find the answer at your question.

dreamsatnight - OK... I hope you'll like this part too.

PSW2001- yes you're right and when you'll read that part, you'll see how difficult it will be for Liz to see Max again..

begonia9508- You're completely right. that's why I was interested by the subject. how adult can use their children for the shemes oblivious of the pain they could bring.

LegalAlien- Oh yeah? thank you! and yeah, it's a sad story with angst and emotion. I'm glad that you like it and I hope that I'll deserve your interest.

L-J-L 76- I'll try to answer your questions : Liz won't see a lawyer. will she see Max? yeah but in the next part. Where is Tess? you'll find out here. that's all. I can't reply to your other questions if I don't want to give away the plot.

Erina - I know, Max like Alex is the victim here.

L-J-L 76- Lizza, did you forget that you've already left a fb? Thank you! I can answer to one of your questions: Michael and Maria will be in that story, Isabel? No. And Alex? I gave that name to Max's daughter, so no Alex won't be there, at least the Alex we all know.

I just want to say that RL is hard for me lately but I'll do my best to update my fics. the next I'll post will certainly be "An Impossible love".

for the moment, here is the new part, hope you'll enjoy it!

Chapter 2

Liz Parker couldn't sleep that night, her little baby was sick because of the lies her mother had compelled her to do.

Tess Parker Evans.... The ghost coming from the past but so beautiful and attractive woman and Max Evans.... the talented and ambitious pedestrian, the man with that mysterious look that Liz hated since 4 years.

How many sleepless nights, since the trial, did she spend cursing herself again and again? The remorse to have trusted that man, to have introduced him to her little sister was eating her alive, but that was nothing compared to the desperation she felt when she found out that the man she trusted so much was a perverse able to abuse his own little daughter.

Liz was working at the Roswell hospital when she met that young surgeon pedestrian. Max had, clumsyly, spilt her coffee cup since she was resting in the room reserved to the staff. He had offered another one and they began to talk together.

Apparently, nothing could have reunited them. Liz had been raised in a wheathy family since Max grew up in a ranch of the Sierra Nevada. Whilst she received money from her family to pay her studies, Max had to work every summer to pay them. With his champion of rodeo's body and his tanned face, Max looked like a western movies star.

Liz couldn't get enough to stared at his golden eyes when they were sparkling each time he was talking about his job, the children he was healing. His only worry was to sooth their pain. At least, that was what Liz believed then...

Liz felt helpless and desperate. Despite all the certificates and all her experience, she didn't know what to do to help her little girl.....NO! Alex needed her and she was going to do the best to soothe her fears. She had to find out what really happened between Max and Tess but first she had to take care of Alex.

All of sudden, Liz realized that she had to ask the judge to reopen Max's file.... because he was suffering too... with shame, desperation and injustice....

She remembered his tortured and painful look, that day....so long ago but now it seems to her that the events happened yesterday.

5 years ago......

Alexandra was an adorable 5 years little girl and Max was a talented surgeon who owned parts in a famous clinic in SantaFe and Tess was going out with snobish persons or having an important place in the Roswell high society.

Since the begining, their marriage didn't work but they adored their little girl, so did Liz. That was just after her parents's divorce that Alex began to be perturbed. She was getting furious with her friends and sometimes she was even violent with them. Tess called Liz to help her with her daughter.
"You're a psychiatrist Liz, you know what's going on in a child's head. I can't handle that problem with Alex." Tess had said one day.

And Liz had talked with her niece over and over again and she had used all her experience and love to make the little girl finally confess what was eating alive for a long time.

Her father was hurting her, she had said looking away. He was touching her in a wrong way and she didn't like what he was doing to her....

Terrified, Liz had no choice than admit that she was facing an sexual abuse case!!!

When she had talked to Tess, she didn't defend her husband, like lots of wives were usually doing. She charged him and told her that Alex was telling the truth..
"You don't know Max, Lizzy. He hid his real nature.... That man is....out of control and....a psychopath.." she said.

One night, Liz decided to confront Max. She remembered the thunderstorm out of the little room they were. "How could you commit such a horrible act Max?" she had questionned him with disgust.

Max turned pale and his golden eyes darkened. "I haven't done anything to my daughter Liz, I swear it. That's Tess.... I mean she has schemed that plan to get Alex's guard. You have to believe me Liz. You more than anyone, you know me Liz. Please believe me!" he had pleaded.

Usually, Liz knew that Tess could be a liar, when they were younger, she was always lying to get what she wanted from their parents, friends or anyone else.

On the other hand, Max adored the children. He was giving his life to them, to soothe their pain. Liz saw how he was sacrificing a lot to take care of his little patients. She had seen so many times how he behaved around Alex, he adored his little daughter.... Would he adore her till abusing her?.... Liz couldn't believe it...

And yet....Alex was too young to play a comedy. To invent that story like a teen would be able to do it to get a revenge on a teacher....And after some long hours of reflection, Liz chose to believe her niece rather than her father, because a 5 years old little girl couldn't lie since a father was able to do it to defend himself.

After that, everything went fast. She took Tess to complaint and she had supported Tess and Alex during all the tests and statements in front of the attorney.

Then, there was the trial and Liz stayed with her sister and niece, they needed her and she made her best to support them. Alex gave an evidence against her father. The little girl told to the court all the bad things her father was doing to her. And the most she was talking, the most Max's face was whitening. He was like absent... far from the nightmare he was living.

Whilst Tess, gorgeous in her lace dress, confirmed what her little daughter just said with tears in her eyes. And when she saw all the members of the jury's look, she knew that she won. They believed the mother and her daughter. Max understood too.

Present time.

How was he surviving? What did he feel? What does he do now that he has been sentenced for sexual abuse on his daughter? They never proved that he was sick and they never found any proof of rape on Alex. But the jury was composed by 7women and 5 men who were convinced that Max had abused his daughter. He had been sentenced after less than 3 hours of discussion.

Liz walked toward the window *I'm going to change that sentence, I promise you Alex* she murmured, but that was Max's face that appeared suddenly in her mind. His dark and tormented look when he stared at her.

She had sent to jail the only man she ever loved, for the worst crime... for the worst mistake.

A few hours later, Liz was sitting at Maria's office. She needed her to help her with Alex and she knew that Maria would give her the best advice concerning Max Evans's case.

Maria was psychiatrist for children too and everyone loved her. She was kind and always smiling and she was Liz's best friend since years. Liz knew that she would find a way to help her niece but she was not sure that Maria would understand her about Max.

"That's the reason I called you" Liz said one hour after she told her all the story about Alex and Max.
"Did you talk to her teacher?" Maria asked
"She called me a few weeks ago."

Maria looked at her "I think that the program she saw at the tv brought her to reflect about the lie she did years ago and she feels guilty." she stated.
"I agree with you." she said anxious. "You see my sister was selfish but I would never imagine that she could use her own daughter."

"I don't think that Alex understands really what happened to her father and I'm pretty sure that she thinks he is in jail by her fault." Maria said

"In a way, that's the case. I mean she lied and he has been sentenced." Liz replied
"Actually, your little daughter is punishing herself for what she did to her father 5 years ago. Maybe, she thinks that her mother died because of her."

Liz nodded "She thinks that Max hates her now. That's logical since she hates herself for that lie." She groaned "7 years of experience and I didn't see anything" she said frustrated.

"That's normal Liz, you're Alex's mother now."

"I can't stop thinking of Max. All these years locked in a cage since he was innocent. And no one believed him...." She looked at her friend. "That's my fault Maria, I should have believed him. I'm unforgivable."

"Liz...Liz! You did what was the best for your niece. No one could condemn you because of your love for Alex, no one could blame you."

"I do." Liz cried.

"Liz, the judge, the jury... every person who was there at the trial could be accused to be blind, it was not only you. All the people were responsible too. They all thought about Dr Max Evans's behavior around his daughter and they were scared of letting a criminal free."

"He was not a criminal!" Liz yelled.
"He could be. Stop worrying Liz, that's not good for you or even for Alex. And suppose that you had done the opposite. Today, you would blame yourself because a criminal could have harassed your little niece. Do you prefer that?"

Liz stood up and walked toward the window "I knew that Max and Tess's marriage didn't work out very well. Max was working all day long and Tess was bored. She had asked for the divorce to scare him, but he accepted it, relieved to get rid of her. He forgot that Tess wouldn't let her daughter with him. You know what? I should have seen Tess's shemes but I was blind." Liz whispered the last words.

"Stop blaming yourself, ok? What do you want to do now? That's the most important." Maria retorted.

"I have to talk to the prosecutor. James Valenti is a severe man who wants to punish all the criminals. He's ambitious but I hope that he will be honest." Liz said

"Ok, do what you have to do and in the meantime I'll take care of your little daughter. I'll see what's wrong with her. You can count on me." Maria said with a smile. "Liz, do you know where Max is for the moment?" she asked.

Liz turned around toward her "I've been told that he was helping the nurses at the hospital in jail but I wonder what he's doing after all those years."

"What kind of man he was? A fighter?"

"I don't know. When I met him he was very physical.... I think that helps in jail."

"And emotionally? What kind?"

"A lonely man. He didn't talk easily."

"But you were friends, weren't you?"

"Yeah.. we were friends."

Their friendship lasted 5 months...5 wonderful months.

" Did you sleep together?"

Maria questionned her softly, but Liz felt her heart racing. "No...We never shared a kiss."

Ten years ago, nobody could believe that they weren't a couple. Maria thought the same thing.

"I'm certain that you were in love with him." Maria said softly.

Liz was too exhausted to tempt to deny it. "Yeah... I was in love with him"

"Did he return the feelings?"

"No.. Hmm.. I don't know. He never said it to me, but.."
"What?"

"Max was different. I mean, the other doctors were flirting with the students but Max was a doctor first of all. I respected him for that."she said sitting on the couch.

"Max was interested in you?"
"I think so." Liz admitted. "He used to say that I had the sense of humour." Liz said with a little smile.

"YOU? G-d that man was really blinded by love if he said that." Maria burst out laughing.

But Liz's smile disappeared. "He trusted me. He was always talking about his dreams. I had the feeling that we had shared something... special. I hoped that, someday, he would end to confess his love for me, to kiss me and finally to propose." Liz's face was pink by the emotion.

"What happened?" Maria inquired

"I introduced him to my little sister. At the first sight Tess had decided that she would have him. She was like this. All along her life, she had only to blink to get everything that she wanted." she said sadly thinking about her and her sister.

Liz was a plain girl with her brown hair and eyes since Tess was fabulous with her blond hair and blue eyes. Liz needed years of therapy to heal from the jealousy she was feeling for her sister. She knew now that Tess's beauty would have gone and there was nothing interesting left.

"Tess was beautiful. I only met her once and I remember her as a sexy and classy woman." Maria said

Liz smiled and nodded. "Tess was very classy."

"And then, Tess got who she wanted?" Maria continued.

"Yeah she got Max. She had told me but I didn't want to believe her. Until their wedding's day.... I was the maid of honor."

"You accepted that??" Maria asked shocked.

"A Parker has to be charming, polite and smiling. But when the newlyweds disappeared I went to puke in the restroom." Liz explained

"I understand your reaction." Maria said supporting.

"I cried for a month and then I decided to forget that man. 8 months later, I finished college and I opened my office. Alex was born the same month.

A gleam of understanding blazed in Maria's eyes. "I see."

"YEAH!! My sister used the oldest trick of the world to get married. She was pregnant."

"To create a child, you have to be two." Maria stated.

"Exactly. Max didn't resist to Tess's charms." she said sternly. "That was what hurt me the most."

Liz breathed deeply, she was trembling. If Maria didn't need to know that to help Alex, she would have let her memories in the bottom of her heart.

"I'm going to do my best to help you with Alex." she said
"That won't be simple. Your little girl is suffering. To sooth her guilt and confusion, we'll have to convince her that her father doesn't hate her. For that, we'll need Max's help."

"I agree."

"Since he has no right to contact his daughter, we're going to ask to the court the permission to read the letter he'll have to write to her."

"And that letter? I mean what will he have to write in that letter?"

"That he doesn't hate her. That he forgives her for what happened 5 years ago. Something like that... Do you know where is Max?"

*In hell!!* a little voice murmured in Liz's mind....

TBC...IF YOU WANT IT........................................................................

martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hi guys, for those who are still interested, I'm back with a long and new part. I hope you'll like it. I'm sorry for the old readers but I lost their fbs but thank you very much.
Thank you L-J-L 76, mlover25 and ken_r. Ken, it's too late for me to post the beautiful banner you did (it's 1:00 in the morning here), I'll post it tomorrow, but once again, thank you very much for the great job

FBS WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Chapter 3

Liz was driving on the road 285 toward a little town Santa Rosa. According to Michael Guerin, Max was living there since 8 months. He was paroled.
Being a pediatrician was forbidden for him, he had found a job as barman at the Lucky Horseshoe Saloon.
"That's a motorbikers's bar" explained the young boy to Liz when she asked for the way "There are many Harleys at the front door."

After she drove in a desert street, she found the building. She looked at it sadly, the walls had been white long time ago and needed some repairs like the roof, a huge shoe hung up above the door. A dozen of big motorbikes were parked along the wall.
Liz cut the starter but didn't get out of her car. Despite her calm, she was anxious. Too many years had passed, too many words had been said....
Max had never been easy as a person, he was too passionate, too enthralled by his work. He was too impatient when things didn't work like he wanted. She had seen his anger and his emotion when he failed to heal a little patient, but he was the most involved man she ever knew.
She felt her throat tighten thinking about their past...if only....
"But we can't go back to the past, it's over. She and Max had let go the little chance they could have" she thought opening the door of her car.

A cloud of smoke blinded her eyes and a smell of biere and sweat invaded her nostrils. Two billard tables were facing the counter and some wood tables were around what seemed to be a pist for dancing. A crowd of motorbikers males and females,wearing leather clothes and tatoos, were dancing and drinking.
Liz stayed a while at the front door. All the people looked at her, that was not every day that they could see a lady, wearing a cashmire suit and heels, come into the Horseshoe.

She looked at the counter. There were some cowboys on the booths drinking and laughing who prevented her to see the man which was serving. Yet, the woman who answered said that Max was working today. "Yeah! Max always works on weekends. Are you a friend of him?" she had asked but Liz didn't answer, unable to tell what she was for Max now.

She tried to see the man who was filling the glasses at the counter. Finally, she saw him. He wore a blue shirt and black jeans. The years had marked their path on his face, some wrinkles at the corner of his eyes and some white strands in his dark hair made him look more than 35 years old. Most of all, his golden eyes were cold and impassive.

Liz imagined him in jail with the blue uniform, day after day, he had lost his humanity, his golden eyes were cold, his mouth had a bitterness wrinkle. She felt her heart racing and without knowing she stepped back and hit the door "Get out! Run now that you can do it" an internal voice warned her.
But she had promised to be strong for Alexandra. Breathing deeply to encourage herself, she sat on the red bench and waited. When that crowd will go, she'll try to talk to Max.

Several minutes later, she saw that she would wait for a long time, the country music was loud and the smoke was invading the air, almost completely. The people was not eager to leave the bar.

After a long while, a young woman came to take her order. Liz could see her tiredness written on her face "I'm sorry for the wait" she said and Liz recognized the voice that answered on the phone "Gladys is sick today and I'm alone with Max to serve."
Liz glanced at the counter, Max was serving a biere, each move made his mussles flexing under his shirt. Years of gym in jail had sculpted his body like a rock. For him, Liz was certain, that was not enough to wear his energy out.
"I'll take a glass of Beaujolais, please"
"We have red wine and white wine" the maid said sternly "choose"
"Red wine please."

She went away and Liz took the time to observe Max who was talking to an old man at the counter. The corner where she sat was in the shadow and she hid herself from Max's look.

Beside her, there was a man, a kind of giant with long and greasy hair, his face was red with alcohol. Liz turned around to avoid his look but she didn't miss the glance full of lust that the man gave her. "Great Liz! That's what you needed!"she thought looking at her gold watch.
It was 5:00 in the afternoon and she wondered when that reunion would end.

At the other side of the room, Max was talking with Rand Harding while he was checking on his clients. The room was crowed since noon and for the moment, everything was fine. But he knew that he had to be on his guard against some of his clients, most of all Big Mike. Sober he was the kind of man you have to avoid but drunk, he was frankly dangerous. Max had known some men like him in jail.

"Hey Cowboy, can you light my cigarette?" a tourist asked him. Max pulled a box of smaches out his pocket. The young woman leant a little to light her cigarette. Her shirt half opened unveilling her generous breast, but Max stayed impassive at the invitation. "Since when did he feel desire for a woman? Years.... Jail had killed all positive emotion within him."

"Nice bar" the woman said winking at him "Is it yours?"
"No, I'm just the barman."
"And can we offer you a drink?"
"No, thank you. I don't drink."

"Hey Max, give me a drink! I'm thirsty." yelled a man at the other side of the counter. Max walked away from the two women to serve Ben. He had known him since years and helped him to find this job at the Horseshoe. "There is a lot of people today. Give me a biere." he said
"Great, this way, time will go by faster." Max said looking at the old watch. Nine hours.....Nine hours before he could close the bar and be alone.

Eight months had passed since he was liberated and yet he couldn't get enough of that solitude. He missed it for the long years he passed in jail. He thought about the rules he had in jail and yet, that was not over. He had to meet an officer every weeks and answer his stupid questions : "Who did you meet? Did you have sex? Did you avoid children?" He was forbidden to be near a school or every place there were children. He was compelled to meet that officer every weeks, he had to ask him for that job, for his licence, for the appartment he found, for everything.....

Angie, the barmaid, put heavily her tray on the counter "My feet hurt" she whined brushing her blond curls.
Max handed her a glass of red wine "How many whiskys did you give to Big Mike?" he asked
"5 or 6 but he's ok for the moment."

Max put the dirty glasses in the sink "Tell me if he exceeds the limit." and as Angie was lying on the counter exhausted, he added "Go to rest a moment, I'll take care of the tables."
"Later. I have to give a glass of red wine to the lady over there sitting at the 6."
"A lady?" Max asked opening a bottle of California cheap wine "There is a lady here?"
"I'm not joking Max. For the first time a lady paid us a visit. I noticed her when she came into the bar. By the way, you have a ticket with her, she doesn't take her eyes off you."

Max glanced at the table 6 near the door. And then....
.....He felt like if someone punched his face.
"Do you know her?" Angie asked interested
"Yeah"
"Who is she? A secret love?"

Max put the glass of wine on the tray then looked at Angie who was staring at him with curiosity "Go to serve the lady, Angie"

He commanded her with low voice but Angie turned pale and her tired face looked like a lot of faces he saw in jail, when the prisonners found out that they were wrong when they took Max's silence for a weakness.... The young woman took a step back and mumbled "Ok, Max. As you like."
He was ashamed to have scared Angie without wanting "Sorry, but don't ask me questions."

Angie nodded and walked away. Max followed her with his eyes and saw her when she approached Liz. Then he observed her....

She was sitting in the shadow but he recognized the pure line of her face. She had cut her heavy dark hair, like this, she looked more vulnerable.....

Vulnerable? This woman who came against him like a venemous snake...no that word doesn't fit her.
Max felt a deep shiver along his spine. He turned his back to the customers who were drinking at the counter and tightened his fists.
This woman has been a constant turmoil for him, not knowing how to express the strong feelings he had for her.
For 5 years, in jail, he lived with the memore of her contempt, but he couldn't help to feel torn by the desire when he thouhgt about her. How many times he had wondered why he hadn't surrendered the fierce passion he felt for her when he was single. Why didn't he make love to her?

Sometimes also, for these 5 years, he would have liked to wrap his fingers around that royal and thin neck and tighten, tighten, until her pale and soft skin becomes blue and her accusing look disappears....

A monster, Liz thought that he was that monster!! That thought almost killed him when he was in jail.

He felt his forehead sweat and his stomach be torn by a nausea. During the trial, then in jail, he only felt hatred for Tess, that was all that demon deserved but Liz....oh no! The feelings he had for Liz were different.... completely paradoxical and elusive.

"Oh, oh... It seems that the Big Mike will soon deluded himself!" Ben said "The lady won't be an easy prey for him."

Max turned around in time to see the giant stand up beside Liz's table. His first move was to jump over the counter to calm him but he restrained himself "That's not my problem".

Liz saw Max turn his back. He had recognized her but it was clear that he didn't want to make the first move. She saw the big man lean toward her with a big smile showing his dirty teeth "Hey babe. My name is Mike Brown but all my friends call me Big Mike."
Liz kept cold.
"A doll like you shouldn't stay alone" he continued with a thick voice. "Do you wait for somebody? A boyfriend?"

He leant more toward her blowing on her face his stinking breath.
"Yeah. I'm waiting for someone."
"Sorry doll but he dumped you!"
"I don't mind. I'll wait though."

Big Mike frowned, then a new song began on the jukebox. He smiled and caught Liz's wrist and obliged her to stand up "Come on baby! we're going to show them how we dance!"
Liz escaped from his hands "No thanks." she tried to articulate.

She tried to keep quiet but the fear began to invade her mind. She made an big effort to stay neutral. A man like this enjoyed the fear he inspired the others. She only had to control her fear and stay impassive. But, Big Mike didn't want to take no as an answer and with a blast of anger in his eyes, the drunk man grabbed her and pulled her into his arms. This time, Liz reacted with her instincts and threw her knee between his legs. "Bitch!!" he howled.

She saw him lift his hand but not fast enough to avoid the slap on her left cheek. She fell down and began to shake violently when she felt the taste of her blood in her mouth.
She heard the crowd yelling around her and Big Mike was insulting her. Terrified, she looked for something to help her but there were only cigarettes and puddles of biere on the floor. Desperated, she took off her shoe and brandished the heel in front of her, like a tomahawk.

"Be careful Mike!" a thick voice said "Your doll is going to transform you into a soprano"
"That's what she thinks." Big Mike said jumping on her like a lion....

But he didn't make 2 steps. Someone were holding him back abruptly. "It's time to go to sleep, Mike"

Max's face was unreadable. But the message was clear by his tone. Mike stepped back then he remembered that all his pals were looking at him. "No, I don't want him to make me ridiculous in front of my pals"
"Leave me alone, cowboy. I'm going to teach that slut the good manners!"

Max's face didn't move for several seconds, then he smiled "You need to learn the good manners Mike. It's time for you."

This made Big Mike enraged even more. He wanted to grab Liz but Max stopped him quickly. Before he understood what happened to him, Max twisted his arm and pushed him toward the door.
Big Mike wanted to free himself but he couldn't move under Max's strength. He found his face in the dust faster than he thought. Max closed the door and looked at the other motorbikers.
Liz saw Angie walking toward the telephone then stiffening like if she had seen something in Max's eyes. Liz turned around toward him and understood. His eyes expressed a fierce rage and for the first time she really was scared of him.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the show is over" he said sternly.

Nobody talk and within 5 minutes, the motorbikers had left the bar. Everything returned to the normal. The calm after the thunderstorm.
Liz felt exhausted. Max was looking at her. That moment lasted several seconds... an eternity. Then Angie came beside her "Do you want something?" she asked softly.

"Give her some ice in a clean towel." Max ordered her showing the counter. Angie nodded silently.
Liz decided that that was the good moment to talk to him. "It seems that all the people obey to your orders."
"You can say that it's your luck."
"That's true"
"That's not the place for a lady"
"I'll try to remember."

Max raised an eyebrow "Do you intend to be a regular, Parker?"
Liz ignored his agressivity and put her shoe back. Her jacket and her skirt were dirty and her hands too. "Thank you for the help" she said dryly "that man was not my type".
"You can keep that for you Liz. I didn't do it for you but for me. I don't want to see the cops here, you know."
"That was this jerk's fault."
Max put his hands on his hips. He was thin but his body expressed an unbelievable strength. "Do you remember who I am Liz? I'm a paroled man, not a man like the others." he said sternly. "I'm guilty until I've not proven my innocence. But you know that, don't you?"
Liz felt her face blushing.
"Please Max...."
"You wouldn't want that I welcommed you like a old good friend, Liz!"

Conscious of his mercyless look on her, she tried to stand up but her legs seemed to refuse to obey, her head was spining. "I think that I'm going to faint" she whispered

She saw Max make a move toward her and stop "Where does it hurt?" he said softer
"My head..."
"Do you feel nauseous? Is your head spining?"
"A little...."

Max knelt beside her and put his fingers on her neck. Despite the bruises, her pulse was normal and she was not pale enough to worry. But she was warm.....

"Oh G-d.." He felt frustrated because he didn't approach a woman since.....feel a woman against his chest since...be moved by a perfume since....
Suddenly, he felt a blast of desire in his lower body. He could deal with that pulsion, he was used in jail but something was killing him : the feeling of loss, the pleasure, not only for the sexe, but something essential that he had lost forever and Liz.....

He moved away abruptly. "I don't think you'll die from that slap Liz!"

Even if she expected a rough reaction, Liz felt sad "Is it your diagnostic Max?" she asked standing up.
"The barmen don't make diagnostic"

But, without her knowing, he was spying on her a sign which told him if she was about to faint again. He only saw her hand shake a little when she brushed her hair.
"So Liz... I think that it's time for you to tell me what you're doing here, that must be very important for you to drive all that long road to come here!"

TBC...IF YOU WANT IT........................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

Hey I didn't expected you but let me tell you that you made my day(it's 4h30 in the morning and I didn't want to sleep before I post that part) :lol: I hope you'll like it.

LairaBehr4 - Thank you to be here. so I anticipated your note, good. But tell me I'm glad to see there but I thought that "the Joker" was your favorite from those I wrote :wink:
roswell3053 - Thank you. Good for you to have found it today since you get an update tonight. hope you'll like it.
Erina - I'm sorry, that was not my purpose believe me, even if I'd like to "kill" you every time you stop your fic.
L-J-L 76 - hey Lizza, you're going too fast for me. things will take their places at their time. you'll see but that fic is far to the end.

here we go.

Chapter 4

"So Liz....I think that it's time for you to tell me what you're doing here, that must be very important for you to drive all that long road to come here!"
"That's very important."

He must admit that she had guts to come here. Several years ago, just after the sentence, she would have had a very hard time with him if she had come to see him.
"Talk!" he ordered sternly.
Liz looked around her. The cloud of smoke was still thick, the music still loud and the people who were left were staring at them curiously.

"Maybe there is a more secluded place to talk!"
"NO. If it's not good enough for you, get out! I have a lot of work and no time to take care of you."
Liz decided to be patient, so she continued, coldly, as if he didn't bellow. "Listen Max, I know that it's hard for you, but..."
He smirked "I've known some harder moments, believe me." he said before he turned his back to her.
"That's about Alexandra" she cried out to dominate the noise. Max turned around toward her and grabbed her arm tightly, she repressed a grimace of pain.
"Just say what you have to say"
"Let me go. You're hurting me!"
Max didn't realize that he was holding her arm so tight. He blushed and released his grip "Geez Liz...."

Angie came back with some ice in a white towel "Take this, I hope that you'll feel better."
"Thanks Angie" Liz said putting the ice on her burning cheek.
"You'll get a bruise tomorrow"
"Angie" Max interrupted her "If you need me, I'll be at the office with Milady"
"The office?" Liz asked suddenly afraid to be locked somewhere with Max.
"Didn't you want to talk to me in a secluded place? If you prefer, we could go to my place."
"No.. no.... it's ok for the office" she mumbled.

Max pointed out a dark passage behind the counter and Liz felt the cowboys stares on her as she was walking ahead of him. The room was locked and when Max brushed against her to unlock it, she breathed his scent and shivered. Max put the key in his pocket and walked into the little room followed by Liz who let the door open. She looked around the room.
Max remainded motionless and waited for her to explain herself. She was obvioulsy annoyed but tried to hide it desperately. *That's her turn to feel uncomfortable!* he thought satisfied. But when he looked at her eyes, he saw that she was pitying him. That idea enraged him. "Now, are you going to tell me what do you want?" he asked, infuriated.
Gallantly, Liz lifted her chin and faced him "Do you allow me to sit down first?"

Without waiting for his answer she sat down on the only couch that was in the room. Max leant against the wall and folded his arms. She put the ice and the towel in a large ashtray on the table then she straightened and locked her eyes into Max's hostile look. "As I said, I came because of Alex. She has some problems."

"May I came in?" Angie poked her head in and looked at Max who nodded.
"You forgot that on the seat." she said handing her bag to Liz.
She said thank you and Angie walked out of the room closing the door. Glancing at Max, Liz saw him stiffen. A prisoner's old reflex when he hears a door closing, knowing well that he won't be able to open it.

"So....What's wrong?" he asked sternly but worry in his voice.
"Nothing"
"You're laughing at me Liz! You're exasperating me."
Max's eyes were dark and his mouth had a bitter expression that provoked a wave of sadness to Liz. She was caving in. Where to begin? Which words to use? No word could express the remorse she was feeling.
"That's not easy you know. Facing you after everything that happened..." she whispered.
"Did you think that everything would go well?" he asked sarcasticly
"No. I knew that it would be a nightmare."

Max looked surprised by her sincerity but he recovered his composure rapidly. "You were going to talk about my daughter."
Liz breathed deeply and began the story "A few months ago, Alex began to have some problems. Loss of appetite, bad grades at school, bad mood. I put that on the grief for her mother's loss." she paused and cleared her voice. Her cheek was hurting now.
"Go on"
"Then, she began to have nightmares. She woke up yelling after she dreamt of you or the trial."
Max's face froze and the wrinkles on the corner of his lips appeared even more. "I don't want to hear about that anymore Liz." he murmured dangerously calm.
"Listen to me Max, that's all that I'm asking from you : listen to me till the end."

Nervously, she licked her lips with her tongue. That was unwilling and he knew it, but his body reacted unwillingly too and he felt a blast in his lower body. Infuriated, he came to sit down on the old chair behind the dest. "So?"
"The nightmares never ceased. I asked a friend of mine to take care of her to follow an intensive therapy."
"To heal from her grief?"
"Yes and no"
Max sighed and looked at his watch. "Liz.....tell me everything."
"I don't know how to tell." she confessed.
"You have to decide."

Suddenly, anger invaded her, she locked her eyes into his. He wanted her to talk, he'll be served. "Alexandra lied."
Max turned pale "Lied?" he repeated
"She lied when she accused you. She acknowledged it to me and I believe her. Maria believed her too. This little girl is shocked cause she lied and sent her father in jail. She thinks that her lies killed her mother too, that her mother's death was a kind of punishment."

"You believe her? That's what you said to me that time." he articulated slowly.
"Do you mean that I'm wrong to believe her?"
"You were wrong to believe her 5 years ago, most of all."
His golden eyes darkened by the threatning anger he felt. "I spent years in that hell Liz. Years in that sordid cage. And now you come to tell me that you were wrong?"
"Yeah.... and I'll do everything I can to restore the truth.." she said with a strangled voice.
"Will you give me back the time I spent in jail Liz? Will you erase the effects of that unfair imprisonment? Or erase the shame, the humiliation? The other prisoners's violence because they hate the pedophils? Will you give me back the right to be a pediatrician or the parents's trust, or the staff's trust? NO....You won't be able to give that back to me."

He stood up and walked toward the window. His back and his shoulders were rigid. He put a hand against the wall and lowered his head. Liz saw that he was hardly breathing, like a man who was drowning. She felt her body tremble. "Alex didn't know what she was doing."
"She knew the difference between good and bad" he said hoarsly.
"Not really. She was completely confused..... and she was so scared!"

Max turned around toward her and Liz repressed a cry. He seemed to get older within several minutes. "Scared? Why? I never hurt her"
Feeling a light softness in his expression, she dared to stand up and walk toward him "She was scared of her mother. Tess told her that you wanted to take her far from her home and that she wouldn't see her mother anymore. For a 5 years old child, her mother is essential to her life despite the strong love the child can feel for her father. Alexandra is reproaching herself for her mother's death."
"Yeah, I heard that Tess managed to kill herself without anyone help. She was drunk and she was driving. Alex has nothing to do with her death."

Liz felt that she had to push again to find the real Max, the man who still loves his daughter "Max, Alexandra needs you. She needs to know that you love her, that you bear her no grudge...."
"Then who I have to begrudge Liz? To you? To whom I have to ask for 5 years of shame and injustice?"
"To me, yes, if that can help you".

Spontaneously, she put her hand on his arm to show him that she understood his pain but that she was responsible for that terrible mistake too. She felt his mussles stiffen under her fingers. He didn't move obviously rejecting her. Without a word, Liz removed her hand. "Max... please... Do you want to help us to save your little girl from deep mental disorders?"
"I'll think about it."
She gasped shocked "You'll think about it? To decide if you want to help YOUR daughter to live normally or not?"

Max had learnt to master his fury but the feeling that invaded him then threatened to destroy the selfcontrol he had since years. That selfcontrol that helped him to endure without a word lots of humiliating ordeals, an inhuman imprisonment.
"Treat a man like an animal and he'll behave like an animal." he said impassive "A the end, that man won't care for anything but himself, his survival."
"I don't believe it Max. No you, you're not like this" she whispered.
"Put a man in hell and to survive he'll do things that make him feel sick. He'll become inhuman, nothing will move him anymore."
"The survival instinct is the strongest, Max. You can't feel ashamed if you cave in."
"I'm not ashamed, I'm furious, enraged. And I have the right to be. My wife cheated on me, my daughter broke me, they have distroyed me."

"The rage is good not the resentment."
"That's your opinion as psychiatrist, Dr Parker?"
"No, that's my personnal and professionnal opinion"
"Personnal" he repeated.

He put his hand on her shoulder.
For years, Liz has fought to forget the attraction she felt for Max, as soon as he married her sister, she forbade herself to think about him. But his hand on her shoulder moved her, despite everything.
He smiled as to congratulate her for her selfcontrol. "In jail, you have a lot of time to think. I thought about you Liz....Too much."

He slid his thumb on the soft skin of her neck and Liz blushed. "During the nights, whilst I was unable to sleep, I saw your eyes full of disgust for me. Because of that, I had to stay alive."
His fingers tightened softly around her neck till she couldn't move "Do you know what that means for someone like to be thrown in jail? That's like to crash in the bottom of a well without air, without light, without any chance to go out."

"Max" she whispered "I couldn't risk Alexandra's security. Most of time, 5 years old children don't lie, mostly when it comes with abusing. I loved her and I wanted to protect her."
Max turned pale and released his grip "Get out Liz. Get out before I could harm you"
"I'm not scared of you Max."
A blast of anger shone in the golden eyes "No, you don't know me. You don't know the man I became in jail, the cold monster you created you and your sister using your little pupet. And I hope that you won't know who I am really.

And before she could react, he pushed her away and brushed against her, leaving her alone in that room full of hatred.

TBC...IF YOU WANT IT...............................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

Hi guys, I have some time to write a new part here so I decided to post it tonight. I hope you'll like it. it's just a little part to enlighten the plot.

before I let you read it, I'd like to thank you for reading it and I'd like to tell hi to the lurkers. I'd like to know if they like it or not :wink:

ken_r - hey Ken, it's always a pleasure to read your fb. I'm glad that you like this fic, it's a special one for me too. I hope I'd not deceive you here. thank you.

LairaBehr4 - Laira, you surprised me. I mean I was waiting for you on the Joker since you were one of the readers who kept asking for an update and I found you here. I'm very glad believe me and I hope I'll see you again. thank you.

Erina - Yeah, and since she came to see him, he couldn't not to blame her for the disaster his life was. thank you.

Cassie - Maybe you're right about Max but he won't change his mind that fast...even if Liz.... but you'll see. thank you.

Natalie36 - thank you. Yeah, Alexandra needed protection from her mother first and because of her lies from her father and Liz was the only one able to give it to her.

begonia9508 - You're right and the only one they could blame is Tess, she failed as mother like she failed as wife, and was not scared of manipulating her own little girl to get what she wanted. and...no. I'm not into battles against 2 adults when a child is involved but that won't be that easy for them. thank you Eve and sorry I came back very late tonight.

roswell3053 - thank you. yeah, impossible to not tell about their chemistry. and I won't tell you about Max's reaction, you'll have to wait for a little while again.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL INTERESTED I'VE ALREADY UPDATED "THE JOKER" I HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE NEXT TIME. THANK YOU

Here we go.

Chapter 5

It was almost 10:00 pm when Liz arrived at Maria's house. Her friend was wearing old jeans and a shirt full of paint spots. "How was the meeting with Max Evans? Not so well according to your face. Come in but take care of the paint on the walls."

Maria walked ahead of Liz and came into the kitchen. She went straight to the coffee machine. She poured it into a cup and handed it to Liz without a word. Liz thanked her with a smile and sipped the scorching beverage. Cafeine helped her to appease her. "Whaou! I needed that" she mumbled.
"Did you have a hard day?"
"Worse than that"

Liz sat down before the table and Maria faced her. "Did you see him?"
"Yeah"
"So?"
"I don't know." Liz said tightening her fingers around the cup.
"Did he agree to write the letter?"
"No"
"He refused?" Maria exclaimed shocked.
"Actually, I couldn't tell him about our plan."
"You better tell me your meeting and I'd like to know the details." Maria inquired sternly.

Liz took 15 minutes to relate to her friend what happenned. When she finished, she felt exhausted.
"That man's life is a living hell, that's obvious" Maria sighed.
"Yeah, he's not the man I used to know anymore. His eyes have that vacant expression that terrifies me."
"I see what you mean. I saw that look into some soldiers's eyes when they came back from the Gulf war. The worse I saw was that doctor who came back from there. Brad was an asshole, sarcastic and inhuman with the patients. His look was so icy that we called him "the iceberg".
"Then?" Liz asked trying to know what happenned
"You know me. I can't not open my big mouth! One day, I decided to tell him what I was thinking about him, I told him that he was inhuman, that he was the shame of the medecine. That night, he tried to kill himself cutting his veins with his scalpel. We found him in time and saved him."
"Oh my G-d!!"
"Brad was the opposite from what we thought. Actually, he was so involved in each case he was treating, that he felt responsible of his patients. He was loosing control each time one of them was dying and buried his pain within himself. He hid that being a cruel beast and that was killing him."
"Could you help him?"
"No. He never forgave me the way I treated him. He quit the army a few months later. I ignore where he is but I often prayed for him."

There was a silence. The two women were lost in their thoughts. Liz drank a gulp of coffee but it left a bitter taste in her mouth. "Maria, if you had seen Max's eyes when I said that Alex lied. During half a second, his eyes lightened like if I gave the most beautiful gift to him then he closed himself again."
"You have to give him some time to assimilate the news, Liz. He'll react."

Liz bit her lower lip, puzzled. What kind of man Max became after all those years in jail? For months, she forbade herself to think about him, she considerated him like dead, and in a way, that was true. The man she used to know and love had disappeared to let the place to that heartbroken and bitter stranger. That idea shocked her and she pushed it away.

"Have you talk to D.A Valenti?"
"No. And I have the feeling that it'll be hard."
"We can't give up. I'll call him on monday."

She thought again about Max. Was he alone? Did he have a friend to confide in? Maybe Angie?
"I have to go." she said putting her cup abruptly. "I'm exhausted and I'd like to see Alexandra."
"Ok. Promise me that you won't overwork."
"I'll try. Thanks for the help Maria" she said opening the door.
"That's why friends are made for! Tell me one thing Liz : do you still love him?"
Liz stared at the darkness. A violent wind was shaking the trees and she thought about that night when Max announced her that he going to marry Tess. She wanted to disappear from the surface of the Earth. "No, I don't feel anything for him anymore."

The Lucky Horseshoe was closed since hours. The tourists were gone, the little town was sleeping and the empty streets were swept by a freezing wind. Winter was here for good.
Max was walking, alone. Far away, he heard a owl hooting. That was a familiar sound for him who lived in a ranch. How many people heard it? How many lovers......?

He accelerated. Excercise was good for him, but whatever he did, he couldn't get Liz out of his mind. He had never been able to forget her.
Ten years before, he wanted her like a damned but he knew that she deserved better that a fugitive affair. Liz deserved a commitment and promises for the future. *One day* he had promised to himself *One day, when I'd have more to give to her, when I'd be settled in my job and in my life......* Then Tess appeared! She loomed out of the dark sky like a comete, eclipsing Liz's discreet beauty.
He realizes now that Tess played the big game with him : confiding in him, asking for advice, offering massages when he was coming home tired.
He had wanted her because she was beautiful and sexy, but he knew that an affair with her would ruin all his chances to be with Liz. So he had resisted. The more he resisted, the more Tess wanted him. She didn't accept no as an answer and she made more efforts to conquer him.
For her, that was a game against her sister she had to win.

One cold and rainy morning, when Max came back home worn out by 30 hours of watching, Tess was waiting for him. She welcommed him with a kiss. She was completely naked under her raincoat.
If he hadn't been so exhausted!....If he had been more clever to see the consequences of his act!....

He cursed himself, too late to excuse himself! He did what he did but he had regretted it as soon as he woke up the morning after. That day, he had said to Tess that he didn't want to see her anymore.
Of course, she insulted him and he didn't answer conscious to deserve her contempt and he promised her, against his will, to hide their affair from Liz.
Max thought that he wouldn't hear from Tess after that but he was wrong.
Two months later, she came into his office to tell him that she was pregnant and she was demanding him to marry her.
A fatal mistake made whe he was unable to think straightly and that he had paid the high price.

Furious, he shot on a stone which rolled till the end of the empty street. The sun began to raise when Max returned to his home.

2 days later, Max came to Roswell to meet the officer who was responsible to follow him while he was paroled. Since their first meeting, Daniel Pierce promised to him that he'll make his life a living hell for the next 2 years and 8 months later, he held his world beyond his own hopes. Max was sufficating with fury and humiliation when he arrived at Michael Guerin's office.

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT.........................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hey guys I'm back with a new part. I hope you'll like it. I read that some of you think that Alexandra could not be Max's daughter...sorry guys, but she is. Tess trapped Max and Alex is their daughter.

Natalie36- yeah Tess was the devil here but isn't it her role after all? thank you.
roswell3053- thank you. Liz and Maria are great in their job, plus Liz is Alex's mother now. No chance to fail. and about your question....read above!
L-J-L 76 - hey Lizza, I hope I came back soon enough for you! thank you.
begonia9508- Eve I already answered your fb. Tess trapped Max to take him off her sister be assured of that. now is it Max's fault? yes in a way, cause he should have said no again...and yes of course he was awake but so tired too..
Erina - yeah she only wanted to have him. and about Alex's father, just read above, you'll have the answer. thank you.
kittens - Completely right and yes she deserves that for what she did to her own child. thank you.
LairaBehr4- nice to see you here Laira. Hope you'll like this part.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL INTERESTED, I'VE UPDATED "That unforgettable girl" and I HOPE TO DO IT FOR "The Joker" TODAY. thank you.

Chapter 6

Max and Michael met during high school and they became quickly best friends. After graduation, whilst Max studied medecine, Michael became a racing driver. Years later, since he was famous all around the World, he had a car crash on Indianapolis circuit. He left there his right arm.
Back in Roswell, Michael returned to college to study law and he was a good lawyer now. For his colleagues, he is reputed to be a fighter. He always defended his clients with force when he was convinced of their innocence but he rejected people when he found out that they were lying.
The judges and D.As respected him for his honesty but a few persons like him. Only Max knew the real Michael who was hiding under an agressive and merciless appearance.
Only Michael supported him during the trail. He defended him even if he risked to compromise his career. He was the one who visited him when he was in jail. They didn't need to talk about the trail, Michael Guerin knew that his best friend was innocent.
Since Max was paroled, they met and had dinner together every time Max was in town, with Pierce's permission of course. When Max went out from jail, Michael picked him up and they got drunk celebrating Max's freedom but that was forbidden so after that day, they never drank together and never talked about the trial anymore.

When Max came into Michael's office, he was on the phone. The lawyer was very tall but he had a very bad taste for clothing. That day, he was wearing an awful shirt with a more awful tie. *That man has no taste!*
Michael smiled when he saw Max's smirk, with his hand, he invited him to sit but Max ignored him and prefered to stand by the window.
It was a hard moment for him, Christmas was coming soon "Peace on Earth....." he thought bitterly. He spent the last 3 years in jail among a thousand men locked like him but this year he'll be alone and he couldn't decide what was the worse.

He was looking at the road, in front of him, that road led to Liz's house. He never forgot her adress or phone number but that was forbidden too. He had no right to go to see her.
And finally, that was a good thing, he only had to think about her to feel nervous.
He shook his head as if he wanted to dispel the tension he was feeling since he had seen her seated at the Lucky Horseshoe chair.
Max knew that he could never controle the feelings Liz was inspiring him, but that was not important cause she wouldn't be interested in a man who was paroled.
Finally, tired to look at the window, exhausted to always be obssessed by a woman he couldn't have, he closed his eyes and turned around toward Mike that just ended his phone call.

"Max! You look like you're going to explode. Did Pierce harass you again?"
"Not much more than usually."

Max sat face to his friend. "Why does he provoke you like this? He held a grudge against you but why?"
"Because I didn't give to him a reason to send me back to jail"
Michael poured whisky in a glass and drank it alone, alcohol was forbidden for Max. "Do you want to eat Mexican tonight?"
Max mumbled something that Mike didn't understand. He gulped his drink "Tell me Max.... huh...since when you didn't sleep with a woman?" he asked suddenly.
Max shrugged without answering.
"Tell me Max?" he repeated.

Max looked at his fingers and thought about them tightening on Liz's soft skin. Did he hurt her? Probably. "I don't need to sleep with whoever is it." he muttered.
"You... You're not in a good mood. I thought that you resigned yourself to the situation."
"Which situation?"
"To be paroled. The fact that you're forbidden to work as a pediatrician. Alex that you had to give up."
"I didn't give up on Alex! They took her off me. I've been fallen from my rights.
"But you have signed the papers which give the right to Alex's aunt to adopt her. I disagreed with you if you remember that!"
"I had no choice. I didn't want my daughter to grow up passing from a home to another.
Max stood up and began to pace around that office like if he was suffocating. Michael stared at him, he knew that he couldn't push him "You're still thinking about what Liz told you saturday?"
"No."
He sat down trying to calm his anger.
"Did you see her again?"
"No."
"I never saw her since the trial. She was beautiful I think, classy and sexy...."
"Ah yeah?" Max said sullenly.
"Mmm. She's not my type. Her big doe eyes hide to many thoughts that I don't understand. Yet, you can guess a great body under her suits, and her legs....hard to resist."
Max's eyes narrowed and he looked at his friendly angryly "What do you want from me Mike?"
"I talked to that ass of Valenti. I told him about the review of your trial."
Max froze "What did he say?"
"He was disappointed to learn that his main witness lied."
"And did he accept to reopen my case?"

Michael shook his head "More than one phone call will be necessary to convince him. This guy built his reputation on your sentence. He's ambitious and he aims at becoming Public Prosecutor. He's not ready to acknowledge that he had condemned an innocent, believe me."
"That's exactly what happened"
"Exactly. But don't give up. I convinced him to meet....hum...." Mike checked the paper on his desk "Dr Deluca and Dr Parker."
"When?"
"This week. But please, in the meantime, stay quiet. If Liz Parker comes back to talk to you, be polite but keep your distances."
"Why?"

Michael swallowed his drink, poured another and drank half of the glass "Because you need her. You have to put her in your side. This woman is the only link you have with your daughter and now that Tess is dead, Alexandra is the only witness. I'm sure that she very closed to her aunt, that means that Liz Parker will have a great influence on your child's behavior. On the other hand, we need her evidence since Alexandra confided in her that she lied. She is a psychiatrist for children, her evidence will be essential, without saying that the jurors, the men I mean, will be under her big brown eyes's spell."
"Stay concentred!" Max grumbled.
"To tell the truth I don't like her. I mean that's her fault if you lost the trail and you've been sentenced. But.... we need her. So you have to be very careful. Don't see her, don't call her, nothing that Valenti could use against you to accuse us to corrupt a witness."
"And what about Alex? Liz said that she needs me."
"Maybe that's true, maybe not."
"When did you become so heartless?"
"Did she have a heart when she accused you for abusing your own child? I've always been certain that Tess schemed that to make you fall into her trick. Without Liz Parker to support her, she won't have won. Once that Parker had been convinced that you were guilty, everything went very fast. Don't you remember?"

Max contemplated his right hand silently. This hand used to heal, now it was just to serv beers and to clean the counter up. "I didn't forget anything." he said tightening his fist.
Michael swallowed his drink and stood up "Don't go close to that woman Max, whatever she says, she's not in your side."

It was 5:00 pm and the last patient left. Exhausted, Liz had already taken her jacket and shoes off. Now, the phone tightened under her chin, she loosened her collar. "That's ridiculous!!!" she grumbled furious.
James Valenti's secretary has put her on wait, that was the third time, this week, that it happened.
Liz stroked her eyes, she was on the verge of a nervous crisis. Actually, she was easily irritated lately. Yesterday, she yelled at a woman who took the last place of the supermarket parking lot. This afternoon, she insulted a saler on the phone....."The psychiatrist is loosing her mind" she thought sighing. All that, because she couldn't stop thinking about a certain....
Liz closed her eyes. 3 days and 3 nights had passed by since she went to talk to Max. 3 sleepless nights....

She heard a polite voice on the phone "I'm sorry Dr Parker. Mr Valenti is not available, he has a meeting. But I'll tell him that you called."
"Miss, I already left enough messages to saturate his voice mail. You know that."
"I tell you that Mr Valenti had received them, Dr Parker, but he has been very busy this week."
"Did you explain to him that we had important news to tell him about Evans's case?"
"Your messages were very clear Doctor."
The secretary hung up without another word.

Annoyed, Liz hung up very abruptly. She took a piece of paper that was on her desk and crumpled it up before she threw it in the garbage can. The ball failed and rolled on the carpet.
"Failed" said a voice since the doorway.
"MAX!!!"

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT..........................................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hey guys as I said on the Joker, I got a while to update my fics and here is the "Not guilty" new part. I hope you'll like it.
I'd like to thank the readers for their support, that means a lot for me and I hope I'll find them till the end of that fic.

ken_r - Ken justice is not the friend of fame anywhere cause that means that the judges can't apply the sentence freely bc of that fame. and about Max and Liz's feelings, you're right they have a lot to do b4 they could get close. hope I'll see you there again.
begonia9508- Eve you're right Max and Alexandra are the victims so Liz. Tess first and the justice system doesn't protect them. and after a sentence, it's hard to return to the beginning and cancel a judgement. About M/M, well, a little while to wait for.
Natalie 36- Yeah but he's Max's friend and he saw his friend go down to the hell while he was in jail. Of course he can't appreciate Liz since for him, she is responsible of Max's sentence. you'll find out more along the chapters.
roswell3053 - That will be hard but possible. I talk about the trial. as for why he went to Liz despite Mike? Do you really wonder? bc despite everything, Liz is Liz, the woman he cared so much for years. how couldn't he go to see her? hope to see you there next time.

THANK YOU AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL INTERESTED, I'D LIKE TO TELL THAT THE LAST PART OF "THE JOKER" HAS BEEN POSTED. HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE TOO.

Chapter 7

Préviously
"Failed" said a voice since the doorway
"Max!!!"

He was wearing jeans with a warm red shirt and a denim jacket. Liz couldn't help to think that this clothing fitted him more than the suits he was wearing in the past. He was sexier, more attracting.

"Hi Liz! May I talk to you, just a minute?"
"Sure... Come in."

He stepped into the office and ran his hand in his hair looking embarrassed. "Hard day?"
"I can't stand powerful people."
"Do you talk about someone you know?"
"Jim Valenti."
"Ah... I didn't think that you knew him." he said sarcasticly.

Liz ignored his tone as Max sat in front of her. "Nice place." he said looking around. His eyes came back on Liz and he stared at her silently. For a little second, Liz felt herself drowning into those golden eyes.
Max put his hand on his knees to calm his racing heart, Liz made so many feelings arise within his heart and body. Michael was right, this woman was able to make a man break down with one look.
To recover his composure he took his jacket off. "I came for my daughter Liz. As you know, I'm paroled and I asked for the permission to come in the same city she's living."
Liz shivered, relieved. Eventually, Max was the same man, under his apparent harshness, he still cared for his daughter.
"Maria has begun the therapy. For the moment, she is coming twice per week, Alex wouldn't endure more than that."

She saw Max's eyes widened with surprise "The feeling of guilt can overwhelm a child.... For Alex, it's worse, this feeling is aggravated because she thinks that you hate her." she added.
"I love her, I always did."
"Would you agree to tell it to her?"
Max raised his eyebrow. Was it the surprise or would he refuse to help his daughter, Liz couldn't tell.
"Liz, you know the situation. I'm not allowed to contact my daughter anymore." he said slowly.
"If I managed to make a contact between you and Alex, I could talk with the judge and the officer in charge to look after you, anyway, tell me Max, would you agree to write a letter?"
"Do you think that I can?"
"I can't promise, but..... I think that there's a possibility."

Max noticed that she looked tired, she had dark shadows under her eyes, maybe the lack of sleep for her too... But he was not here to worry about Liz, but Alexandra.
"What do you want me to tell in that letter?"
"She has to understand that you don't hold a grudge on her for her lies. Maria will read the letter and they'll talk about it together. I hope that her stress will be sorted out with that letter."
Max looked at the diplomas hanging on the wall, his were in a box like he had been for 5 years. One day, he'll have to burn them....
"I'll do my best." he murmured as for himself.

Liz took a pen and fiddled with it, then put it on her desk. That was just nervous and Max knew it. In the past, Liz was a passionated young woman who couldn't always control her emotions. She was laughing or crying with a disarming spontanity. He remembered her running to his pediatric service, moved by a painful case or worried for one of her friends.
At the time, only his patients'health was important for him. He was that man.

He stood up abruptly making Liz startle. He could stand to be locked too long, he needed space. "Call me back when you'll the judge's answer." he said putting his jacked on.
As Liz contemplated his stoned body, he stared at her and she suddenly realized that her hair was tusled, her makeup was from the morning and she was bare feet since she wanted to look beautiful. She always wanted to look beautiful around Max in the past....
"I need your phone number" she said standing up.
Max took one of her card and wrote his number. "Anything else?"
*Yes, I'd like to meet again the man I loved.* she thought.
"No, nothing. I'll call you when I'll have some news."

Liz turned around the desk and reached out her hand to Max. He hesitated and squeezed it briefly.
"Thank you for coming Max" she said hoarsly.
"You knew that I'd come."
"I wasn't sure. But...I hoped."

As she was bare feet, she had to look up at him. Doing it, she exposed her throat, her pale and soft skin and Max felt a blast of desir shattering him. He swallowed hard and turned around toward the door. "Bye Liz".
"Wait! I...I have something for you."
She took a Alexandra's photo on her desk. "We took it barely 2 months ago." she said handing it to Max.
He looked at her for a while then took the photo with a shaking hand. "Thanks".
"She looks like you, don't you think?"
"I don't think she would be pleased to hear that!" he said softly.
"I don't think she was conscious. I mean she was so young when you had been sentenced."

Max contemplated his daughter's smiling face. He had not the right to keep her picture in jail, he had just his memories to remember his little daughter : her mischevious smile, the sound of her laugh, the way she pronounced "Daddy"....
"Does she always hate tomatoes?"
"Always."
Their looks locked for a while and Liz felt a warm wave of honey invade her body. She thought about the moments they shared.....in the past....
"Does she talk about me sometimes?" he asked.
Liz shook her head to say no, silently.
"Of course. Better this way" he said sternly.
He put the picture in his pocket and walked toward the door. His eyes fell on a poster, he stopped to look at it.
"Roswell school. Is it Alex's school?"
"Yeah. The kids will play a little play for Christmas."
"On the 19th December, 2 weeks from now. Will you go?"
"Of course."

*Of course she'll go. That will be an important event in her daughter's life. His daughter!....When will he stop to consider her as his daughter? *

Never! Alexandra was his child, she was a part of himself. The judge could say whatever he wanted, she'd always been his little daughter. Tensed, he turned around toward Liz. "I'll be there too."
"Oh no, you can't do that!"
"Why not?"
"She could see you and that could be a trauma for her."
"I'll come late and I'll stay at the end of the class."
"Ok, but someone could recognize you."
"Here? No danger, I don't know anyone."

Liz felt her courage down. She looked into his eyes "Hum...there is Alex's teacher."
"This woman never saw me."
Liz avoided his eyes "I showed your picture to Mrs Appelby asking for her to call the police if....if you ever tried to approach Alex's after school." she confessed.

Max felt like if a ton of rocks fell on his chest and prevented him to breathe normaly. He felt something, like a very little hope he had, break in his heart.
"I knew that you hated me, Liz, but not at this point."

On those words, he turned around and left her office hurt. Unable to contain his pain, he got down the stairs like if he had the devil behind him.

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT.............................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

Hi guys, I'm back with a new chapter. I hope you'll like it. thank you for your support. it means a lot for me.
ken_r : thank you Ken. I know that protect our children is really hard and yes when someone is evil enough to threat their security, we can't not react and become overprotective.
roswell3053 : thank you. yeah Max is Alex's father first even if he was hurt and desperatly alone. I see that despite the roughness of the subject, you stay optimist, that's good.
L-J-L : Lizza, I'm always amazed by all your questions. I can't tell you that you'll find the answers here but I promised that you'll have them all before the end. thank you.
begonia9508 : Thanks Eve. you know how hard that situation is. of course Liz had to protect Alex but you can't deny Max to feel hurt. And no Liz has to make the difference between the friend and the father. I mean, I'm not sure that his attitude with her has nothing to do in a judgement.
c_which : Thank you first. And I also agree with both of you. Liz couldn't take the risk to let Alex with a pervers. I can give away the plot but believe me, Max didn't cave into Tess's schemings that easy. Both of you should know that the main and most important thing for Max was his job as a pediatrician, then Tess came into his life....and happened what happened, Liz has a part of fault here for me. and I don't think that her judgement has to be affected by their story.

For those who are interested, "The Joker" is finished (already updated) and I'm going to update "Don't give up on love" and "that unforgettable girl" soon. Hope to see you there.

Chapter 8

Outside the night was already there bringing with it a cold and moist air. Max walked faster. He was so disturbed that he would have drunk a bier with pleasure but that was forbidden.
There were only 3 cars left on the parking lot, Max was going to open the door when he froze, suddenly aware of a faint noise. He felt a stinging of apprehension on his nape.
3 men loomed up from the side of his pickup. They were large and wearing black clothes. "Hey man, d'you have a cigarette?" one asked with a thick voice.
He was drunk.
"I don't smoke." Max said on guard.

The three men were around him now but he couldn't see their faces.
"Something to drink? You surely have a bottle in your car, no?"
"I don't drink either."
He observed the 3 men stealthily, two of them stayed behind but the man who was speaking looked the strongest but the nearest too. He was walking like a boxer and Max decided that he had to get rid of him first.

"You don't smoke, you don't drink.....are you a monk or what?" said one of those who were behind.
Max knew that voice. Where did he hear it? In jail? That's possible since he did have more ennemis than friends there.

The man stepped and Max saw the blade of a long knife. "Do you have a problem, man?" he asked icely.
"No... You have a problem" he replied stepping again.
He came under the street light and Max recognized him. Big Mike.
"Surprise!!!" he exclaimed with a smirk.

Max shrugged "Good evening Mike. It seemed to me that I smelt something rotten around."
Mike's smirk faded. "You shouldn't play with me, Max. The blade is very sharp."
The others laughed thickly and came closer of Max.
"You are 3 against one and you need a weapon! I didn't know that I was scaring you that much!"
"Shut up Evans! When I'll finish with you, you'll beg me to kill you!"
"In your dreams!" Max replied calmly.

In a few minutes, Liz will open the door, he had to act very fast. "Come on Mike, show me what you're capable to do!"
The big man rushed toward him brandishing the long knife. In the same time, one of the others try to hit Max's jaw. That was an old trick Max learnt in jail : to attack someone from all the sides. Max bent down to dodge his agressor's fist which ended breaking the car window. Max took advantage to hit him between his legs and push him away toward Mike. The two men collapsed violently.
The third one beat him in the stomach with a piece of wood and Max almost fell down, hurt.
Once again, he saw Mike stand up and brandish the knife and he avoided it sliding on the side but he hit the car and the blade slipped under his vest cutting the flesh, an intense pain invaded his body.
Unable to stand up, Max saw Liz's figure at the doorway. She was so close that he saw her eyes widenning with terror when she recognized the motorbiker from the Horseshoe Saloon. "Stop!" she yelled "Get out from here!"

The men turned around toward her and one of them shouted obscenities at her. Max took advantage to stand up and hit him and the man fell down. He heard Liz talking about the police and he yelled at her "No! Don't call the police! Get out from here, quick!"
"Are your crazy? You need help" she cried rushing inside the building. She stumbled over a step and got rid of her high heels shoes. She continued to climb upstairs barefeet till her office. There, panting she picked up the phone to dial 911 when she remembered Max's plea "Not the police!" Why?
She found the answer, a paroled man didn't want to be questionned by the police. But Max was in danger with those louts. If she took the wrong decision.... The wrong decision? Once Max asked her to trust him and she didn't listen to him. This time, she had to trust him first. She leafed through her notebook and found the number she looked for. *G-d please make him answer* she prayed.

Max saw Liz enter into the hall and for a second he forgot about Mike with his knife. He saw him lift his arm but didn't react fast enough to avoid him. The blade sank into his flank. He stumbled and almost fell down. He saw his blood spreading on his shirt.

A satisfied smile appeared on Mike's face and his friends cheered him shouting. Then Mike bent and rushed toward Max. That's all that Max wanted. He slid on the side and overcoming his pain he hit Mike. He let the knife down and Max caught it before his buddies.
He threatened them and they froze. Mike stood up slowly, his mouth full of blood and looked at Max with the weapon. "You win for this time Evans, but I know where your girlfriend lives. You won't protect her every time or look after her night and day....."
"That won't be necessary"
"Ah yeah? Why?"
"Because you're a coward and you're scared of what I would do to you if you touched one strand of her hair."

Mike froze with fear "I know that people went to the hospital when you were in jail. But you're not as strong as I'm"
Max brandished the knife and turned the blade between his fingers making the blood flow on his hand "I was a surgeon in the past. I can carve a body in 30 seconds." He paused and stare at Mike "I can manage to let him alive as long as I want though."
Mike spit out on the floor "I'm not impressed, man"
"If you come back here or if only you put your eyes on that woman....I'll kill you."
"Come on Mike, that's not funny anymore" his buddies yelled.
Mike mumbled and cursed him before he ran toward his pickup.
Max willed himself to stand up till they were gone then he collapsed on the floor.

In the meantime, in Liz's office.
"Michael Guerin"
"Guerin, I'm Liz Parker. Listen, Max came here tonight and when he went out, some men attacked him on the parking lot. They are here and Max needs help."
"Where is your clinic?"
Liz explained in a few words "Max begged me to not call the police, but..."
"He's right. Stay where you are and close the door. I'll be here in 10 minutes."
Michael hung up.

Liz hung up but without caring about Michael's words, she ran outside. She saw him immediatly. He was lying on the floor, near his car. The others were gone and Max was holding the knife in his bloody hand.
She wanted to yell but only could whisper his name "Max"
She leant toward him and put her hand on his shoulder and felt the blood. Terrorised she leant again and observed his face. His eyes were closed and he was barely breathing. Her trembling fingers found his pulse, he was alive.
"Max, that's Liz. Do you hear me?"

Max felt like if he was carried away on a calm wave. His body was numb by the cold but he felt a warm pain on his side. He tried to turn round to release it but it didn't work.
"Max, listen to me. Guerin is coming, everything will be all right." she whispered in his ears.
He turned on his back and felt a blast of pain in his stomach and kidneys. "You shouldn't be here." he managed to articulate. "Dangerous......They'll come back."
His eyes were blank "Don't talk." she murmured.

Max felt the softeness of her warm and souple body against his when Liz tightened her grip. Her hands pushed his hair from his forehead and Max would have smile if it didn't hurt.
He smelt her intoxicating scent and he felt strange, that was so different from the hard life he used to live since years. A feeling of frustration and envy invaded him deeply. "Liz......" he whispered.
His hand seemed heavy and clumsy but he managed to caress her cheek "I don't want you to be hurt."
"I don't want it too" she said repressing a sob.
"I'm used to." he said and he closed his eyes. He articulated some words she didn't understand and his hand fell down.
Liz bit her lip and pressed his body against hers to warm it. Suddenly, she saw the blood from his stomach and she panicked. Looking at her office window, she contemplated the idea to return there to call the police. At the same moment, she heard a car arriving and Michael ran toward his friend.

"How is he doing?
"The wound is bleeding a lot. The hospital is about 20 minutes from here, we could go there....."
"No.. not the hospital." Max begged trying to straighten himself.
"You're deeply hurt Max. You have to see a doctor."
"I am a doctor.....or I was.....I forget."

Liz and Michael looked at each other. "We can't bring him at my home because of Alex."
Michael hesitated a second...."My place.....Come on man. Let's go out of this parking lot before the cops come to annoy us."

Michael helped him to stand up and Max's face took a dead color. "They caught me... I was worried..... I was not on my guard."
He managed to walk a little with Michael's help but that was hard for the lawyer. Liz took his arm and put it on her shoulder. They reached slowly the Mercedes.
Max was panting and sweating from pain. Liz helped him to climb into the car "Don't worry Max. Guerin will take care of you"
Max groaned and his head fell on his chest. He was unconcious.
"He lost too much blood. He's shocked and he risks an infection. He absolutely needs a doctor."
"No problem. My neighbour already helped me. She's a veterinary surgeon."
Liz's eyes widened "Are you crazy? He needs a doctor. I'm going to call...."

She didn't make a step that Michael's hand grabbed her. The lawyer made her spin and looked at her furious. "Dr Parker, I'll be clear. Because of you and your sister Max will always be considerated like a criminal. A man who committed a sexual crime toward his daughter." he said coldly.
He saw Liz turn pale but he was not ready to take care about her. "One mistake and he won't be paroled. He'll return to that horrible jail. Max can't be involved in a brawl. Even if they are the bad ones."
Liz felt tears flowing on her cheeks "Even if I testify for him. I'll tell to the court that he tried to protect me."
"You already gave an evidence once and that didn't help him."

Liz stiffened like if she had been slapped.
"Dr Parker, Max is my bestfriend. He is the most generous, the most honorable man I ever met. I saw him die little by little in that hell. He won't return in jail. I'll do everything in my power to avoid him to return there."
He turned around and climbed into the car and left. Liz stayed there, unable to move or stop the tears who keep to flow on her cheeks.
TBC..IF YOU WANT IT...........................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hey guys, as I had some free time, I came here with another chapter. I hope that you'll like it.

begonia9508- Thank you Eve, you're right that was a hard day for them and you know, Michael was there when Max got sentenced because of Liz's evidence mostly, he can't not be nice with her and don't forget that for him, Liz or Tess that's the same.

roswell3053 - Thank you. hey how couldn't Liz have feelings for the man she loved secretly for so long. the question is : will Max forgive her and love her like she deserves?

LegalAlien- Thank you. Hey, isn't it "The Joker" about what you pmed me? maybe I'm wrong. Anyway. No, it's not Valenti who was behind the attack. He could be someone not too pleasant, he wouldn't risk his career like this. I can tell that without give away the plot.

L-J-L 76 - Thank you Lizza. See, I'm already here!

I'VE ALREADY UPDATED "THAT UNFORGETTABLE GIRL" AND I'M GOING TO UPDATE "DON'T GIVE UP ON LOVE" TODAY TOO. THANKS FOR THOSE WHO WILL BE THERE.

Here we go!!!

Chapter 9

*She was smiling with that smile he loved so much in the past. She was so close to him that he could feel her soft and warm breathe on his face. "I'm here, Honey." she murmured.
Gold spangles were enlightening her beautiful brown eyes, she licked her lips and he felt his pulse racing. He tried to smile but he couldn't. Then he tried to get closer to her but invisible hands held him on the cold and wet floor. A wave of panic invaded his mind and he felt his throat tighten. He repressed a cry and finally calmed his terror. A man who caved into his fears was a dead man
Max woke up from his nightmare. He was sweating and when he sat down, he felt like if his body had been penetrated by thousand burning needles, he couldn't restrain a cry of pain.
Then, he breathed slowly to appease his body and little by little the pain subsided. He tried to gather his thoughts and found himself naked under the blankets. A large bandage covered his stomach and his right hip since another covered his shoulder.
Suddenly, he remembered what happened. The motorbikers. Michael came to pick him up and brought him in his house.
The door opened and Michael appeared at the doorway. "Hey buddy! What do you think about a tennis match? Are you ready to play it?"
Max turned his head too fast and a piercing ache from his shoulder till his kidneys brought him on his knees again. "Keep your jokes for someone else Michael. I'm not in the mood to laugh for the moment."
Michael leant against the doorway and smiled. "You slept for 16 hours since Serena sewed your injuries."
Max brushed his cheek with his hand. He was looking like a bear since yesterday. "Tell me the truth Michael, this girl is not really a veterinary surgeon, is she?"
"Of course she is. She owed me a favour."
"She's very efficient. I didn't feel anything."

Michael stepped into the room and Max saw a cup of coffee in his hand. "Is that for me?"
"Yeah, I thought that you might need some caffeine. Yesterday I gave you some codeine. The pill was 8 years old but it worked though."
Max stretched his legs. His body was aching everywhere. "What time is it?"
"Almost 11:00"
"Shit....I've to call Angie."
"I did it. I told her that you had a problem with the pickup. She covered you."
"I hope that Pierce won't make an unexpected visit there. He's able that ass..."

Michael walked toward the window and opened the curtains. The sky was blue and the sun invaded the room but Max closed briefly his eyes. He was not used to the colors and the noises yet.
"How do you feel?"
"Like a man who lost a lot."
"They were 3 against one."
Max shrugged "2 and half, one of them was completely drunk"

He managed to take the cup of coffee without moving too much his shoulder. The coffee was bitter and warm and he felt like he never drank such a good one.
Michael sat on the couch facing his friend. "You got 2 phone calls. One yesterday night and the other this morning."
"From who?"
"Liz Parker. Both times."
Max seemed to loose himself in the contemplation of the empty cup.
"Did she tell what she wanted?"
"To know how you were feeling. Apparently, she was worried about you. She asked for you to call her at her office or her home."
Michael rummaged in his pocket and put on the little table a piece of paper. Max ignored it.
"Max I recommanded you to stay away from her. Why didn't you listen to me?"
"For Alexandra.....And don't get mad at me, Pierce agreed to let me see Liz."

Michael turned his head toward Alex's pic on the little table. In 4 years, the little girl had changed a lot.
"What would happen if Alex had been in Liz's office when you were there? Did you think about that? Max, a mistake and Pierce will be more than happy to send you back to jail!"
"She was not there." he shrugged.
"You've been lucky..... this time."
Max emptied his cup and wanted to put it on the table, but a deep pain stopped him. Michael helped him.
"Thank you. Michael, I'd like you to do something for me."
Michael looked at him sternly. "I wonder why I have the feeling that I won't like it."
"Help me to see my daughter again."
"Geez Max!!! You didn't understand what I told you!"
Michael was angry. "The court forbade you to see her or to be around her. I can't do anything against that. Unless they plan another trial and you are cleared of charge."
"So. You can ask to review the trial."
"That's exactly what I'm trying to do but you don't cease to annoy me."
He stared at Max longly then he lowered his eyes the first. "I thought that you learnt to be patient in jail."
Max closed his eyes. Michael was his only best friend and he was an excellent lawyer. He would be crazy to not listen to him. But....
"There is an event at Alex's school on the 19 december." he said looking up to his friend.
"How do you know?" he asked suspicious.
"I saw the poster in Liz's office. I'd like to go."
"To see Alexandra?"
"Yeah."
"Are you sure that it's not to see Liz Parker?"
"Mike, I lost a lot....But I didn't loose my mind yet." he groaned.
"Every man looses his head when he desires a woman. It's a question of hormones. Do make fun of me, buddy. I saw both of you yesterday on that damn parking lot. She was cuddling against you and you might be in a bad state, you loved it."
Max tightened his fists repressing the anger that was boiling whitin himself.
"Liz is Alexandra's mother now. That's all!"

Liz was worrying about him, she had even cried for him. So what? She only had compassion for him and he would be a fool to expect something more from her. He had to forget Liz Parker as someone else than Alex's mother if he didn't wanted to loose his mind and even more.
Michael stood up and his eyes met Max's trying to find out Max's feelings.
"Max I'd like you to remember something important. If you go to see your daughter without Pierce's authorisation, you won't be paroled anymore and you'll return to jail. Plus one year or two because you'll have disobeyed to the court. Think about this before you could make a mistake."

Liz said goodbye to her last patient, a 7 years old little boy who won't need her soon. She was sad to not see him anymore. Then her eyes looked at Alex's last picture. Her daughter was the most precious tresor she ever had in the world. If something happenned to her....
She waved her hand as to push this thought away and opened the drawer to take Max's card. She dialed his number anxiously.
"Horseshoe Saloon, Evans' speaking."
"That's me. Liz."
There was an awkward silence and Liz thought that Max was going to hung up the phone.
On the other side, Max was so surprised to hear Liz's voice that he needed some time to take breathe. Liz Parker, the last person he expected to talk since he saw her last week. Liz Parker the only woman he couldn't get out his mind since then too. He sighed.
"You seem to feel better" Liz said nervously.
"That's ok."
"I'd like to tell you that Maria got an appointment with the judge next week. We're going to convince him that, to heal, Alex need to have a contact with her father."
"And what day the meeting is fixed?"
"On wednesday at 4:00"
"I'll call you at 5:00"
"Let's say rather 6:00." she answered smiling. "I'll be at home. Take my number...."
"I have it. You already gave it to Michael."
"For you to call me. That you didn't do."

Another silence. This time, Liz didn't break it, she waited for him to talk. "You're right. I should have called you." he admitted.
"Big Mike attacked you because of me, don't he? He hadn't appreciated that you threw him out of the saloon."
"Doesn't matter Liz."
"You know.....For the event...Tomorrow.....if you promise to stay in a corner of the hall....." she stammered.
"Don't worry Liz. I won't come."
And he hung up without saying goodbye.

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT.....................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hey guys, I'm back with a new chapter. Sorry if it took me a long time to come back but RL is eating me alive. but I wanted a little break and here I am. I hope that you'll like this part, it's a little light for the dreamers.

begonia9508- Eve it's very hard for Max. I mean he got through a lot and believe me he's more blaming himself than anyone else. he knew how Tess was, the problem is that he was to involved in his job to protect his child and himself from her. thank you and sorry if I'm not on msn lately. I hope I'll be there soon.

ken_r- Ken you're completely right, people are hard to judge someone innocent despite what the court could say and if he's really innocent, that's very painful for that person. but when it comes to children and someone who abuse them, that's impossible I think to forget that he has been judged and sentenced. That's Max's story. thank you for support.

roswell3053- I'm sure that even if we don't have the Judge's answer there, you'll like this part, or I don't understand anything :wink: thank you!

L-J-L 76- Lizza, as I told you in the pm, it's very hard to answer all the questions but I hope that you'll find some in that part. although nothing will happen between Michael and Maria for the moment, maybe later... thank you.

I'D LIKE TO SAY THAT I'LL UPDATE THE OTHER FICS SOON, BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHEN. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WITH AN A/N THANK YOU.

Chapter 10

Alexandra and her friends were waiting to climb on the stage. Liz was helping all those impatient children to wear their costumes. Always together, Alex and her friend Zoey didn't stop talking.
Liz was putting her hat on Alex's head when the little girl turned around toward her, panicked.
"What if I forget my texte like it happened to Zoey during the rehearsal?" she stammered
"Don't worry Honey, you'll invent something."
"Do you promise to stay here?"
"Absolutely. I'll be with the other parents and Maria will be there too. You know that we love you and we are so proud of you Alex." she said kissing her soft cheek.
Alex wriggled a while "Zoey's grandparents are coming from New York to see her. Do I have grandparents?"
"No, they are dead Honey."

Liz's parents died 10 years ago and Max's ones later, at least that's what he told her during their conversations.
Alex's lips began to tremble "Zoey said that I was an orphan because you're not my real mother."
"She's wrong. I'm both, your aunt and your mother. See, you're a very special little girl."
Alex nodded but her eyes were sad.

For Christmas, the school had been transformed into a fairytale country. Snowflakes and garlands were on the walls and an enormous Christmas tree had been decorated for the event.
Liz looked for Maria among the crowd and she headed toward the blond curly hair at the end of the hall.
"How is she doing?" Maria whispered when Liz sat beside her.
"Nervous."
"Everything will be ok." she said handing the programme to her.
"I really hope so."

The event went well and soon Alex will make her entrance. Maria stood up and Liz followed her to see her little girl better. At that moment, she felt a current of air freezing her back. The door had been opened. Someone had just come into the hall.
As soon as she saw the strong shoulders of the man who was at the doorway, she understood. Max.... He glanced at the crowd and almost hid himself against the wall beside the last newcomers.
With his blue jacket, his tie and his well combed hair, he could look like any other father, yet, he looked different from the "correct people" because of his chin, blue with Mike's knocks. Suddenly, he locked his eyes with Liz's and she stiffened.
"Alexandra's father?"
"Huh?....hmm, yeah. How do you know?"
"First because she looks like him a lot, second because you're torturing that poor programme that didn't do anything to you."

Liz stared at the crumpled paper in her hands. "He told me that he wouldn't come."
"Ok, he's here now."
Liz sighed and wanted to answer when a deafening jingle startled her and all the parents in the hall. The curtain raised, they were in the Santa's work'shop.
Liz repeated so many times with Alex, that she knew when her little girl should appear. She had a few seconds to talk to Max. She handed the programme to Maria, stood up and walked toward Alex's father.
"I thought that you wouldn't come."
"I changed my mind."
A trumpet music announced Alex's entrance. Her heart pounding, Liz grabbed Max's arm "Here's Alex. At the first raw with the green hat and the red cap. She's scared of forgetting her text but I told her to improvise."

Max smiled but he felt dizzy. It was like if a rush of feelings was invaded his heart and he tried to soothe his breathe.
"Cross your fingers for her to not forget her text." she whispered.
Santa said a few words and that was Alex's turn. "But, Santa, if....huh....hmm...."
The little voice subsided and a deafening silence wrapped all the children. Alexandra lowered her head embarrassed. Max and Liz exchanged a sad look.
Alex's face turned pink whilst her friends were staring at her anxiously. Then, suddenly, she straightened her shoulders and breathed. "But Santa, how are we going to do to deliver all those toys if we haven't a sleigh?"
On stage, everybody was relieved and Alexandra's eyes shone with pleasure and pride.
"Proud of her, huh?" Max mumbled with a husky voice.
"She never gives up. She is like.... like her father" she said looking up at him.

Max almost suffocated. Never... never someone looked at him like she did. Suddenly, he felt like if the walls were tightening aroung him. He was so stressed that he needed to go out to breathe. He turned around but Liz remained there preventing him to move.
He grabbed her fist, rummaged in his pocket and put something in her hand. People clap in their hands "What did you give to me?"
"The letter you asked me." and he walked away.
"Max, wait!"
But he didn't stop.
Liz hesitated one second. On stage, Alex was smiling, happy, her eyes shining. She was ok. But for Max, that was another story. Immediately, Liz decided to go after him, he needed her.
When she went out the freezing air caught her, despite the wind, she tried to find Max among the people who were leaving the parking lot. She noticed him between two cars.
She saw his back. His hands on his car, his head leaning against it, he seemed lost in his thoughts.
Hearing someone approaching, he turned around toward her as if he was ready to fight again. She saw a icy gleam shinning in his eyes and stopped in front of him. He loosened a little but his eyes were still cold.
"I wanted to thank you."
"I hope that I wrote as you asked."
"Do you think that you can give it to me without permission? Are you sure it's not too risqué?
He was silent for a little while.
"No the risk was not too important."
"But Guerin said....."
"Don't take what Guerin says for granted. He becomes unbearable getting older."

Liz burst out laughing. With his male and vigourous look, the lawyer didn't seem getting old. Max smiled. "If you don't tell him anything, I won't do it either."
"I take the deal!"
"I would do more if I could." he said seriously.
"I know. I'd like it to be possible. I want that for Alex and for you."
Once again, the silence followed her words. Then, Max locked his eyes with hers "Do you really mean what you're saying?"
"Yes."
"Did you mean it when you said that I was not guilty?"
"Definetely. I was wrong 5 years ago."
Max's shoulder fell a little as if he was tired to carry a too heavy weight on his shoulders and mostly in his heart.
"Me too. I made a lot of mistakes. I was never at home, I almost never saw my daughter, she didn't know me very well. Sometimes, I spent several days at the hospital. It was not hard for Tess to convince Alex that I wanted to separate one from the other. I would do it if I could. I had had that idea because I hated Tess. I had a grudge against her."
He brushed his hair with his hand.
"I would give anything to come back to the past."
"That's the past, Max. Don't think about it."
"Impossible. Some mistakes can't be erased." he was fighting to not break down. "That was horrible, Liz. I've been accused of abusing my child....I'd have killed with my hands the man who did those things to his daughter. That's just disgusting!"

A rush of wind messed Liz's hair up and she shivered. Max put a hand on her nap. That was not a attempt to seduce her, only the need to touch a human being.
"It's cold, you should return to the hall."
Liz took his hand and squeezed it with her fingers, Max looked at her surprised.
"Do you remember that night when you found me sobbering in the hallway of the hospital? I was crying because one of my patient killed himself."
"No"
By his eyes looking at her, she understood that the memory was still intact in his mind. "You took me in your arms to sooth my pain and you held me tight against you. You were so sweet, so kind."
"Shut up Liz....."
"I needed a friend that night and I found him. Tonight, you need a friend." she said softly.

Slowly, she slid a hand around his waist and put her head on his shoulder. Max felt a scorching rush of desire invading him and he froze. That was not only the desire but the fierce yearning to feel someone caring about him.
He only resisted a few seconds then pulled Liz against his chest tightly. He needed to feel her warmth, to smell the scent of her skin.
Liz's breath was warm and soft on his neck, her tender breasts were pressing against his chest. Little by little, he felt everything but Liz vanish. He sighed.
His hands caressed her back and slid under her sweater, he was overwhelmed by the tenderness he was feeling for her but soon his hunger reared, he wanted her, he wanted her body, her everything.
But Liz wanted only to show him her gratitude for what he did in the past. He had no right to claim more than that, to desire her. Slowly, he pulled her away.
"It's ok now."
"I'm sorry Max, really sorry."
"Me too. More than you'll never know."
The wind was blowing very strongly but Max's body was protecting Liz, yet she shivered.
"You should return inside and I should go back." he said taking her chin in his fingers.
Knowing that she was going to be separated from him, Liz felt cold within herself.
"I'm happy that you eventually came."
"Thank you for being my friend tonight, Liz. You were right, I needed someone tonight."
He pressed his lips against hers then stepped back.
"Good night Lizzy."
She tried to smile. "Good night Max." and she walked toward the hall.
Max looked at her for a while, until she entered into the hall then he straightened his shoulders and headed toward his car. The road will be long for him.....
TBC..IF YOU WANT IT...................................................................................