Let Go (AU-M/L Mature) CH. 18 Pg. 16 8/28/07[WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Let Go (AU-M/L Mature) CH. 18 Pg. 16 8/28/07[WIP]

Post by Icequeen »

<center>Image</center>

Title: Let Go

Author: Icequeen

Rating: Mature (For now)

Category: M/L

Disclaimer: I don not own Roswell. Roswell, is owned by Melinda Metz, and Jason Katims. Just borrowing and having a bit of fun. :D

Summary: He met her on a plane. Smart, witty, charismatic; the perfect girl. So why can’t he let go?

A/N: This will completely be in Max’s POV and is a little different for me. I hope you like it :wink:

~*~Chapter 1~*~

I don’t know how I let myself be talked into this. My mother has insisted that I come home for a visit and after six months of putting it off I find myself on a plane headed for Roswell, New Mexico. I know, I know alien capitol of the world. I questioned my parent’s sanity when they first told me as well. For whatever reason they love it out there. Thankfully, they moved out here well after I was out of the house.
This will be my second visit since they moved here from Florida. Again ,I questioned them when they decided to move from the most humid place in the country to the desert. I came to the conclusion that my parents are strange and left it at that.

Two hours later, I’m not kidding, I make it to the terminal only to find that my flight has been delayed. Great! Maybe I shouldn’t go? I think it’s a sign. Luckily I brought my laptop and quickly boot it up to keep myself entertained. I connect to the WiFi service and look up when I hear people getting annoyed at the customer service agent. Why people think they can really do anything to get you on a flight boggles my mind. If the flight is delayed screaming like a freaking idiot isn’t going to help you. Whatever.

I’m in the middle of reading my e-mail when I get smacked in the back of the head by a rather large duffle bag.

“Oh my God I’m so sorry.” I look over and wonder how the hell the girl I’m looking at is even moving the damn bag let alone lifting it. The thing outweighs her by at least fifty pounds.

“It’s ok.” She smiles and I go back to my e-mail.

“Crap! Crap crap crap.” I try to ignore her but it seems as if she’s having an issue.

“Are you alright?” I was going to be a typical New Yorker and ignore her but I decide to be nice.

“Yeah. I mean no. Well I must have left my cell phone at home and I wanted to call my parents to let them know I’m going to be delayed and I don’t have cash on me for the payphone.”

“Here.” I hand her my cell phone.

“Oh my God thanks!” She takes the phone and dials the number. I try not to listen to the conversations but she’s practically screaming into the phone. I guess I should call my parents and tell them the same.

“Thanks. My mom was in the restaurant so I had to scream.” She laughs and hands me back the phone.

“Your welcome.” I begin to dial my mothers number when she stops me.

“I’m Liz Parker by the way.” She extends her hand out to me.

“Max Evans.” I shake her hand.

“Nice to meet you.” I go back to checking my e-mail and notice that she has moved. I guess she went to a store or something.

What seems like a thousand hours later but is only two we start to board the plane. Thankfully I have a window seat, I hate sitting in the isle. I find my seat and put my bag in the overhead compartment.

“This is funny.” I turn around to hear a familiar voice.

“It is isn’t it?” I laugh and get into my seat. We sit and wait for everyone to get situated when I decide, out of freaking nowhere, to be nice again.

“Would you like to sit in the window seat?”

“Oh Thank you but no.” Ok? That’s odd but whatever. I look out the window and out of the corner of my eye I see that she already has her seatbelt fastened rather tightly around her waist. The pilot comes over the intercom giving us the weather report and flight information.

“Did he say rain?” She asks sounding frightened.

“He said chance of rain. It‘s not a big deal.” She shakes her head and grips the arm rest tighter if that’s even possible.

The plane starts moving and I see her close her eyes tightly.

“Have you ever flown before?” I ask.

“Just once, when I was a kid. I usually drive up to see them.” Her eyes are focused on the seat in front of her as if she’s searching for something hidden in the cloth.

“It’s not a big deal. Just try to relax, we’ll be there in no time.” I try to clam her down but I don’t think it worked since she’s back to closing her eyes tightly.

“Is there always this much noise?”

“Well yeah, it’s the engines that your hearing which is a good thing.” I laugh and get a smile from her.

“Your right.” She lets out a deep breath. She’s seriously freaking out and we haven’t even left the ground yet. I lean over and glance out the window to get a feel for how long until we take off.

“Do you fly often?” She asks.

“Yes. I fly all the time for work but not as much for pleasure.”

“What do you do?” she’s still starting straight ahead and it’s freaking me out a little.

“I’m a corporate lawyer.”

“I hate lawyers.” She says.

“Me too.” We both laugh and I’m glad I can take her mind off of things for a little while. I never wanted to be a lawyer, it just sort of happened.

We sit for a little while before the place starts moving in preparation for take off.

Her hand is turning white she’s grabbing the arm rest so tightly.

“Try not to tense up. Try to relax. Here, chew some gum.” I reach into my pocket and pull out a stick of gum.”

“You’re going to have to let go so you can take the gum from me.” I laugh but she still doesn’t let go.

“I can’t.” She says.

“Yes you can. It will only take two seconds. Here, I’ll even take it out of the wrapper for you. All you need to do is let go of the armrest for a second and grab
it.” I unwrap the gum and hold it out in front of her. With cat like movements she snatches the gum out of my hand and pops it into her mouth.

“See, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” I look out the window and see that we are off the ground.

“You can let go now, we are off the ground.” She slowly turns her head and looks out the window then quickly looks straight ahead again.

“I’m sorry. You must think I’m crazy.” Kind of.

“Don’t worry about it. Lots of people are afraid of flying.” She’s quiet for a while and I go back to flipping through the magazine.

“I’m sorry to bother you. It’s just that I think the talking helps take my mind off the fact that I’m about ten million miles up in the air.” I smile and put the magazine away.

“It’s not a bother.” I turn slightly to face her and for the first time I take in her beauty. She has a quiet almost innocent beauty; it almost reminds me of…

“So is this trip business or pleasure?”

“Neither really. I’m flying out to see my parents after months of pleading.” She laughs.

“So am I. Well, minus the months of pleading part. They moved out here a few years ago and I haven’t been to see them.”

“I’ve only seen my parents twice since they moved to Roswell.” She stars laughing and I smile. I’m glad I could take her mind off of things.

“What? I know I know the alien capitol blah blah.”

“No, it’s not that.” She stops laughing. “That’s where I’m going too. My parents opened a restaurant out there a while back.”

“Well that is a coincidence. My father decided to move out here after retiring from his law practice. My mother doesn’t care where they live as long as she has a room with a ton of windows so she can paint.”

“My parent’s opened an alien themed restaurant called the Crashdown. They used to own a restaurant back home and took some time off but then decided that they weren’t cut out for retirement just yet.”

“The Crashdown? That’s interesting.”

“It fits I guess. So do you live in New York?”

“Yes, you?”

“No, I live in Jersey. Not too far from the city though.”

“Ahh a Jersey girl huh?”

“Shut up!” She smacks my arm and laughs. The stewardess comes around handing out drinks and we each get a soda. I’m tempted to get something alcoholic but my mother would smell it in a second. That would open up a Pandora’s box of shit I do not want to go through this week.

“So how long are you staying?” I ask then realize that it sounded like a cheesy pick up line.

“I’m not sure. My father is kind of sick so I don’t want to leave until he’s ok.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” She looks upset and I curse myself for asking her now.

I Lean back in my chair and close my eyes.

“So do you have any siblings Max?” I can tell that she’s fishing for conversation and I bite.

“Yes I have a twin sister named Isabel.”

“I’m an only child. I always wished for a bother or sister when I was a kid. It must have been fun growing up with a sister.”

“Yeah if your idea of fun is her messing with your hair and threatening to tell on you if you say no.” She laughs; she has no idea how vicious Isabel can be when she wants to.

“It’s better then being alone trust me.”

“So I never asked you what you do for a living.” I finish off my soda and toss the cup in the bag the stewardess is bringing around.

“I’m an auditor actually.”

“Really?” I ask surprised.

“Yeah. I know I don’t look like the type but there is something about numbers that fascinate me.”

“Well it’s good that you get to do something that you love everyday.” I see her knee bouncing up and down.

“Are you ok?”

“Yeah it’s just- I have to.”

“Go to the bathroom?”

“Yeah.”

“So go.” She frowns and I wonder what’s wrong.

“You shouldn’t hold it. Just go really fast.”

“That would require me taking off my seatbelt.”

“And? The bathroom is right there.” I point to the bathroom nearby.

“Ok.” She quickly unbuckles her seatbelt and rushes off to the bathroom. I shake my head and sit back down.

Glancing at my clock I see that we have a little less then an hour before we land. Before I know it I hear her coming back down the plane. She’s running as if someone’s chasing her and I contemplate messing with her and not letting her back in her seat right away but decide against it.

“See, you made it.” She straps herself in pulling the strap so tight that I think she’s going to hurt herself.

“How much longer?” She asks trying hard not to look out the window.

“Not much longer.” I don’t have the heart to tell her it’s almost an hour longer.

We hit some turbulence and I should have been prepared for it but she surprised me when she latched onto my arm and dug her nails into my skin.

“What is that?!”

“It’s nothing. Just some minor turbulence. We may have gone through a cloud or something.” She lets go of my arm and I asses the damages.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to grab you that hard.”

“It’s fine.” I lie. My arm is throbbing. I may need stitches.

We spend the rest of the flight talking about things here and there and before we know it we land without any trouble. Well any plane trouble that is. Let’s just say she freaked out a little and leave it at that. My mother is going to think I got a cat. A cat that hates me.

“Thank you. I’m sorry to have been such a pain but you helped me through it.” She says as soon as we get off.

“I’m glad I was able to help. I hope your father gets well soon.”

“Thank you. Have a nice time and stop by the Crash Down before you leave. I’m sure your parents will know where it is.”

“I just might. Goodbye, Liz Parker.”

“Goodbye Max Evans.”

I head to the carousel and wait for the rest of my luggage to come out before I step outside and get in line for a cab. The line is long as hell and I take a deep breath as I continue to stand.

“Your not taking a cab are you?” I hear her familiar voice ask me.

“Yeah, I am.”

“Do you have any idea how much that’s going to cost you? I rented a car, why don’t you let me give you a ride?”

“I can’t ask you to do that.” I turn around and fall back into place.

“We’re going to the same place, why would you want to stand here waiting for a cab that’s going to rip you off?” She has a point.

“Ok, but I’m paying for gas.”

“Deal.” I laugh and grab my bags following her to her rental car.

“Do you mind if I stop and get some food first? I was really nervous this morning and haven’t eaten all day.”

“It’s fine.” We get into the car and pull out of the airport.

“You can drive if you want while I eat.” She says pulling into a drive through. She asked if I wanted anything but I wasn’t hungry.

“I don’t drive.” I say then wish I hadn’t.

“Don’t drive as in don’t have a license or just don’t like to drive?”

“The latter.” She orders her food and pulls to the next window.

“Ok.” She shakes her head and grabs the bag of food. I can see the grease soaking through the bag already.

“You shouldn’t eat that stuff. Your clogging your arteries.”

“Oh God, your one of those aren’t you?” I watch her unwrap the burger and take a huge bite.

“I’m just saying.” She shrugs and continues eating.

I have to say that watching her devour her food while driving was entertaining.

“Do you mind if I call my sister?” I ask pulling out my cell phone.

“Not at all.” I hit the speed dial for her number and listen to the song ‘Stupid Girls’ by Pink come on. She has one of those phone where you hear a song instead of the normal ring. The song is classic Isabel.

“This is Isabel.” I can tell that she hadn’t looked at her caller ID.

“Hey, its’ me. I just got in.”

“Hey! How was the flight?” I hear a lot of commotion in the background and wonder where she is.

“It was fine. “ I don’t mention Liz, there is no reason to really. We talk for a few moments and she tells me that she will see me soon.

“So what are your plans while you are visiting your parents?” She asks after a few moments.

“Not much. I mean there isn’t much to do in Roswell anyway.”

“That’s true. I haven’t really spent much time there but I can tell it’s pretty boring. At least it will be a change of pace for you right? I mean get away from the busy New York lifestyle.”

“Yeah.” I lean my head back and try to enjoy the ride. Before I know it we are a few minutes from Roswell and I give Liz my parents Address. She quickly finds the street and pulls up in my parents driveway, I kind of wish she hadn’t. It’s not that I’m embarrassed but my I just saw my mother sneak a peak from behind the curtain and know that she’s going to ask a shitload of questions.

“Well I hope you have a good time. Don’t forget to stop by the Crashdown. I’ll make you an extra greasy burger.”

“Thanks.” I laugh and open the car door. “I hope your father gets well soon.”

“Thank you.” she smiles and I get out of the car and get my things. I watch her drive off and brace myself for the wrath of Diane.
Last edited by Icequeen on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 22 times in total.
My Fics
Hardhat: Don't eat the tuna salad in the cafeteria. It made me throw up.
Suit: Food poisoning takes a while. How long did it take to make you sick?
Hardhat: About 5 seconds. All I can figure is, someone must've put fish in it - I'm allergic to fish.
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Thank You ALL for your FB. I hope you continue to like it. Lurkers stop by and say hello too.

clueless
POM
Alien614
martine
Erina
roswell3053
FamersAmers
begonia9508
Emz80m
Sweet Liz
kismet
Queen Fee
flyawayraven
confusedfool
Dreamer 3

~*~*Chapter 2~*~*

“Max!” as soon as I step in the house she bum rushes me as if she hasn’t seen me in years, oh wait it has been years.

“Hey mom.” I wrap my arms around her and admit that it feels good to be home even if this wasn’t my childhood home.

“You let your hair grow.” She says running her fingers through my hair. I smile and fix my hair.

“I have your room all ready for you.” It’s funny that I have a room since I’ve never lived here. “So get changed and meet me outside, your father ran to the store.” Get changed is the nice way of her saying you look like hell.

She walks outside and I take a moment to look around. My eyes go to a certain place on the wall and I see that something different is there. A part of me is sad but I understand why. Before I get too sentimental I walk upstairs to ‘my’ room.

My mother went to all the trouble of decorating this room much like the one I had when I did live with my parents. Too bad I was eighteen then.

I look at myself in the mirror and see that I do look like shit. I splash some water on my face and catch a glimpse of the shiny metal and quickly look away.

“What is all this?” I ask when I see my mother on her hands and knees doing something with the dirt.

“I’m starting a garden. The doctor said that I needed to get some exercise and we all know that I’m not about to go jogging or anything so I did this.”

“Ok.” I don’t know what else to say. My mother has never been an outdoors person so it’s odd to say the least.

“Make yourself useful and hand me those flowers.” I grab a box full of flowers and hand them to her.

“There he is!” My father comes out back with a bag of groceries.

“Hey dad.” I walk over to help him and give him a hug in the process.

“How was your flight?”

“Good.” I hope him pull out some steaks and thank God that he’s cooking. My mother is a Martha Stuart wanna be and our stomachs pay dearly for it.

We sit down to dinner a few hours later.

“Isabel called and said she’s be here soon.” Soon in Isabel talk means two days at least. If she actually says two days then it‘s a week and if she says a week forget about it. She‘s not coming at all.

“I thought we’d go camping in Frazier woods when she gets here.” My father says. He can’t be serious.

“Are you serious? Isabel would never go for that.” He must be nuts if he thinks Isabel is going to sleep outside.

“She might. It’ll be fun.” My poor father. He’s so excited about this impending trip for whatever reason and Isabel is going to shoot him down so fast.

“Maybe.” I might as well humor him.

By the time we finish dinner and clean up I’m exhausted. I walk up to my room and fall asleep the minute I my head hit’s the pillow. The time difference is killing me.

When I wake up the next morning I forget where I am for a moment. I lie awake in bed when I hear my mother walking down the hallway no doubt to wake me up.

“Max honey are you awake?” I guess me having my eyes open doesn’t mean I’m awake to her.

“Yeah mom, I’m up.” I swing my legs over the side of the bed and sit up.

“Good. I made breakfast already.”

“I’ll be down in a few.” I walk to the bathroom and attempt to wake myself up properly.

My mother, God love her, has made pretty much anything that would be considered breakfast in several countries today. Too bad none of it is actually edible. I have no idea how I’m going to make it through this breakfast without actually eating any of it but I’m going to try that’s for sure.

“Mom, I’m not really hungry.” She’s handed me a plate that’s the size of a platter actually. I swear there are six sausage links on there.

“I know you don’t eat properly, I want you to have a good breakfast.” I wish we had a dog. That thing would love this house, all you can eat as long as mom is cooking.

I need to suck it up and eat some of this. She’s watching me like a hawk. Saying a small prayer I bring the fork up to my mouth and hope for the best.

Two hours later, don’t ask why, I sit outside and watch my mother mess with her garden again.

“I noticed that you were dropped off yesterday.”

“I was.” I try to find a shaded spot back here. The sun is already beaming.

“Well?”

“What?” I laugh because I know exactly where she’s going with this.

“Maxwell don’t play stupid with me.”

“She’s just someone I met on the plane. She’s here visiting her parents, they own some alien themed restaurant in town.”

“Oh she must be the Parkers daughter. Liz right?” I nod. “They talk about her all the time. They are so proud of her. We’ve only seen pictures of her but…”

“Mom don’t.”

“Don’t what? I’m not doing anything?” I raise an eyebrow at her. “fine.” She throws her hands up and turns her attention to her makeshift garden.

Isabel called and assured me that she’d be here tomorrow afternoon. I just have to make it through tonight and they can turn their attention to her once she gets here.

“Mom, I’m going for a walk.” She looks up from her garden and waves me off. I walk through the white picket fence, nauseating I know, and head out to explore Roswell.

I make it to main street in about a minute and half, I swear this town is like six blocks total. Instantly I spot the Crash Down, I mean it’s kind of hard to miss a huge space ship coming out of the wall right?

So everyone knows the whole mystery surrounding Roswell and Aliens and all but this place literally has Aliens on everything. The soda machines, the light posts, everything! It’s strange. I shake my head and find myself walking towards the Crash Down. I don’t know if I expected her to be there or not but when I walked in and didn’t see her I was disappointed.

A perky, too perky, blonde greets me and shows me to my table. She hands me a menu and goes off to get my drink. I may be a health nut but one thing I can’t resist is a cherry coke.

I take my chances and scan the menu when I hear someone clear their throat nearby.

“I thought you didn’t like greasy food.” I look up and find her standing next to me in an aqua and silver uniform complete with alien antenna. It makes me wonder how someone could look both ridiculous and cute at the same time.

“Didn’t you say something about a salad?” She grabs the menu from me and looks it over.

“Sorry, I guess I lied.” She laughs and hands me the menu back.

“Well that doesn’t seem fair, I mean some people like salads.”

“What are you like the salad freedom fighter? If you want a salad go to the store and buy some lettuce and make yourself one.” I burst out laughing.

“I’ll have a blood of alien smoothie I guess.”

“I’m not your waitress, besides, I’m on break.” She slides into the seat across from me.

“Here you go Liz.”

“Thanks Jose.” I wrinkle my nose at what she’s eating which is once again a burger.

“What exactly do you have against your body?”

“What the hell are you talking about?” She reaches over and squeezes about a ton of ketchup onto the bun.

“Never mind.” I say as I watch her spread some mayonnaise onto the bun as well. The blonde comes back after what seemed like hours and brings me my drink.

“Is that coke?” Liz asks me surprised.

“Cherry coke.”

“Oh, so mister ‘your clogging your arteries health nut’ drinks soda?”

“It’s my only vice.” I unwrap the straw and take a long sip. “So how is your father?”

“He’s ok I guess. He’s stable which I guess is good.”

“What happened to him?” I didn’t mean to pry but I’ve been wondering.

“He had a stoke., he just doesn’t know when to take it easy.” She looks sad and I wish I hadn’t brought it up now.

“I hope he gets better soon.” For some reason I put my hand over hers. She looks up and we stare at each other for a while before her eyes drift down to my hand.

“Your married?” She asks and I pull my hand away as if I’ve been burned. She said it so calm, that took my by surprise. Before I have a chance to say anything someone calls her to let her know she has a phone call.

“I have to get this.” She slides out of the booth and takes the call. When she walks away I wonder if I should tell her the truth or lie. I could refuse to talk about it at all but that would most likely halt any future conversations and something tells me i want to keep talking to her.

“I’m sorry I have to go, my break is over and I have to run a few errands.”

“Oh. Ok, I guess I’ll see you around then.” My God that was lame.

“Sure.” She smiles and walks away. I drop some money on the table for my soda and step out into the heat. I’m sure that that will be the last time I talk to her. I wanted to explain but it didn’t seem like the right time. Besides, she was pretty much in a rush to get away from me. It shouldn’t bother me but a small part of me is upset at the prospect of not talking to her again.

Half way back home I remember that Isabel is coming soon. Hopefully she will be a good distraction. I just need to make it through the next few days then I’m gone to Los Angeles on business.

I get back to the house and amazingly my mother has managed to actually plant a few flowers. They’ll most likely die in a few days but she’s happy.

“Isabel called and said she will be here on time.” I smile and walk upstairs to take a shower.

I didn’t realize I was sweating as much as I am. While the water heats up I strip off my shirt and study the scars on my chest. Tears blur my vision as I catch a glimpse of the metal around my finger. Everyone tells me to take it off; that it’s time to move on but I can’t. For me it happened yesterday, for everyone else it’s been two years.

The steam has filled the bathroom and I step in under the spray wishing that I could wash away my memories as easily as the dirt.

“Where’d you go this afternoon?” My father asks when I walk downstairs.

“Just around town.” I shrug and grab some juice from the fridge. My father and I quickly decide that we are making dinner before my mother gets any ideas.

Thankfully the rest of the afternoon goes by quickly. We sit outside and have a quiet dinner. I’m starting to miss New York but I needed this break.

“Tomorrow we are going to senor chows for dinner. It’s not big city Chinese but it’s pretty good.” I take a sip of my beer and gaze up at the stars, I’ll never get tired of this site.

“How long are you staying Max?” My mother finally asks. I’m surprised it took her this long actually.

“I’m not sure. I have to be in Los Angeles in two weeks.” Her face lights up and I gather she thinks I’m going to stay here until I have to go but I’m not. I love my parents but there is no way in hell I’d survive that much time with them.

“I’ll have to plan some things then.” I don’t have the heart to tell her I’m not staying right now.

“That sounds nice.” I fake a smile but inside I’m dying. My mothers idea of fun is hitting every since craft store/show she can drive to.

“So Max are you working on anything big?” My father cuts in. We get to talking about business and I can tell that he misses being a lawyer.

After dessert my parents go for a walk, odd I know, leaving me alone in the house for the first time. I walk around the house stopping to look at the various pictures my mother has up of Isabel and I. It sounds strange but I feel like a visitor I my parent’s house.

I smile when I see pictures of Isabel and I as children playing on the beach. I try not to look at a certain corner of the mantle but I can’t help it. Finally my eyes land on the spot and I see a picture of Isabel, me and my parents on a ski trip. I smile at the memory but am saddened at the one it replaced. I know why she did it and I don’t blame her but it still hurts a little to not see the picture that was there before anymore.

Grabbing a beer out of the fridge I sit out back and resort to my favorite pastime, stargazing. New Mexico has New York beat in one thing only. The night sky. You can almost see every star there is when you look up at the sky out here. I let my mind drift back to a time when I was happy and had everything I could ever want and more.
My Fics
Hardhat: About 5 seconds. All I can figure is, someone must've put fish in it - I'm allergic to fish.
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Wow guys thanks so much for the awesome FB! I’m so glad you guys like this Max. You will get answers in this chapter as to what’s up with Max. I wasn’t going to post this part tonight because I feel that it’s off but ehh they can’t all be winners can they? LOL I hope you enjoy it regardless. Thank you all again. :D

Emz80m
flyawayraven
candycane14
clueless
roswell3053
sprayadhesive
FamersAmers
begonia9508
kismet
martine
BehrObsession
LovinGuerin2Much
LegalAlien
Dreamer 3
kittens
Michelle in Yonkers
Alien614
hazz
dreamer19
jamy21

~*~Chapter 3~*~

I tried to sleep in late but my mother, God love her, decided to wake me up at the butt crack of dawn. Ok, it was 8AM but still, I’m on vacation, sort of. I don’t need to explain breakfast but I will be purchasing some pepto as well as alka-seltzer today!

My mother has run to the local nursery so I decide to go for a run. OK it’s more of a fast walk but whatever, I’m trying. As usual I find myself on main street. Well, there are about ten streets here and I’m not about to run towards the desert.

The Crash Down comes into view and I wonder if she’s there already.

“Snap out of it.” I think to myself shaking my head and heading towards the park. Needing a break I sit on a nearby bench and watch a few kids play basketball. My mind drifts back to a time when I played in high school and I smile.

“Are you deliberately trying to run into me?” I look up and see Liz standing in front of me with a pink jogging suit on.

“I wouldn’t really have to try if that was the case. I mean the whole town is what, five blocks total?”

“True.” She laughs and sits next to me. “So do you jog everyday?” She asks after taking a sip of her water.

“I used to. I’m trying to get back in the habit.” I’m surprised she’s even talking to me after what happened yesterday.

“So how is your visit going so far?”

“Not bad. My sister is flying in today.”

“That’s good.” We sit and watch the kids play basketball. She’s acting normal and it’s…surprising. Any other girl would have drilled me by now.

“How is your dad?” I ask trying to keep conversation going.

“He’s still in the hospital but he’s doing better.”

“Well I hope he gets out soon.” She smiles and nods.

“I’m going to get going. The restaurant must be crowded by now.”

“Ok.”

“Stop by the restaurant for lunch sometime with your sister. I’ll even make you a salad.” She winks at me and I laugh. I wanted to explain about the ring but she either doesn’t care or forgot about it.

My legs are rested and the sun is getting hotter so I job back home.

When I walk in the door I find my parents in the middle of some sort of argument. They were speaking in that hushed but stern voice.

“Everything ok?” I ask making them jump away from each other.

“Everything is fine sweetheart.” My mother plasters on a smile and slowly walks upstairs.

“What’s going on? You and mom hardly fight.” And it’s true. I can only remember them fighting twice my whole life and both times were about Isabel or I.

“It’s nothing. Your mother and I just aren’t seeing eye to eye on something right now.” He pats me on my back but I don’t buy it.

“Dad don’t bullshit me. Tell me what it was about.” I have a feeling it had something to do with me. He lets out a breath and looks around I guess making sure my mother isn’t around.

“Your mother feels that you should be dating and I don’t agree. You know how she gets when she takes on a special project.” And boy do I. Isabel is known as the planning nazi and she learned from my mother.

“So what does she want to do? Set me up?” I almost laugh at that….almost.

“Basically. She’s getting worried about you. “ I feel the blood rush to my head. “She wants you to move on she-” I can’t listen anymore.

“She wants me to move on?“ I laugh bitterly. “My wife DIED! She didn’t divorce me or fall out of love with me she was TAKEN from me!! I’ll get over it when I good and fucking ready and I’m NOT ready!” My father tries to interrupt but I cut him off. “No one is going to tell me when I should move on.” I storm out of the house. I knew that if I stayed I would have said something that I would have regretted later on.

I know my mother means well but this time she’s gone too far. She has no clue about what I’m going through. It’s only been two years since Sarah died. Two years since the accident that took my Sarah from me. The day will forever be etched in my mind.

~*~*~

It was a typical Sunday morning. Don’t all stories start that way? I won’t say that the birds were chirping and all that crap but, it was a nice day. We had brunch at one of our favorite restaurants then decided to go antiquing. She loved doing that and I loved seeing her so happy. We drove upstate, near Albany, and found a little area she frequented.

The day was perfect, life was perfect. I had a good job, a nice house, my family was healthy and happy and I had a wife I adored.

“Let’s have dinner at that little inn we like.” she suggested after a few hours of shopping.

“That sounds good.” The inn was small but the food and service was great. Sarah and I stayed there many times while up here shopping.

After a few hours of shopping we checked out some of the historical sites and houses she loved so much. She loved anything that had a story behind it and I can’t tell you how many times she made me join her to Philadelphia or Boston to see some of these sites. She always said she should have been born in another time.

“You should have been born a princess.” I used to say to her.

“And you a prince.” she would always answer me back. Cheesy I know, but that’s what you do when your in love.

We loaded up the car and drove to the inn both starving after all the walking we had done.

“I love this place.” I remember her saying. I can also remember taking in her beauty as I watched her bring the wine glass to her lips. She had a freckle on her upper lip that I always loved. She hated it but I loved it. It was-Sarah.

We finished dinner and had a cup of hot chocolate in front of the fireplace just off the dining room.

“Let’s stay the night.” She said looking up from where she was tucked between my arms.

“I wish we could but I have to prepare for my meeting.” It was the sentence I would regret everyday.

She looked disappointed but as usual she understood. She never had a problem with me traveling so much. That’s what I loved about her the most. She was understanding and kind. We rarely fought and always made up before bedtime.

We left shortly after . It would take us at least an hour to get into the city and another twenty minutes to get to our condo.

Sarah started drifting off to sleep about twenty minutes into the drive. I looked over at her sleeping form and smiled. This was the woman I was going to have children with, the woman I would love for the rest of my life.

I decided to take a short cut and drive down a less traveled road. It would save us almost half an hour. That would be another thing I would regret for the rest of my life.

What happened next happened so fast. I know, everyone says that but it’s true. All I remember was seeing a pair of headlight heading straight towards me and I froze. I don’t’ know why but I just sat there. I didn’t yell, I just sat there and let this guy slam into us head first.

The next thing I remember is waking up with a bunch of tubes in my arm and seeing my parents, Isabel and Sarah’s parents. When I focused on their faces I knew. I just knew that Sarah was gone and all I wanted to do was close my eyes again…forever.

The next six months were a blur and I’m thankful for that in a way. I was finally able to go home after a month in the hospital. This is why I love Isabel so much. She knew that I wouldn’t be able to sit in my house and set me up at hers for the next few months. Between me recuperating and Sarah’s funeral everything is fuzzy. I try not to remember her funeral that much but I’m told it was beautiful, whatever that means. How can a funeral be beautiful anyway?

I would question everyday why I lived and she didn’t but most of all I questioned why the drunk nineteen year old that hit us lived. Sarah was a beautiful person inside and out. She didn’t deserve to die, she just began living.

I’m not ready to let go and no one is going to force me to. Looking down at my watch I see that Isabel should be here in an hour or so and head back to the house.

I find myself walking but not towards my parent’s house, I’m walking towards the Crash Down. Something tells me to go in but I ignore it and cross the street ending up in front of the UFO center.

“Oh this is hilarious.” I walk inside and begin to look at the conspiracy theory’s. It’s amusing, borderline crazy, but amusing.

“Do you believe?” I hear someone ask me.

“Umm..” This guy is freaky to say the least. And how the hell am I supposed to answer that in Roswell no less.

“I’ve seen them.” He says whispering as if someone is watching him.

“Milton, leave him alone.” I look up and see her coming down the stairs in that ridiculous uniform again. “Your freaking people out.” She says pulling me away by my arm. I look down at her hand having not been touched by another woman in two years.

“He’s harmless but you looked like you needed help.” She says once we get outside.

“Thanks.” She lets go of my arm and I feel the loss instantly.

“I was bringing him some food and I saw you.”

“Yeah, I hadn’t been in there before.” We start walking with no particular destination in mind.

“So that’s why you were there.” She laughs.

“Well that and…it’s a long story.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” She asks and sits on one of the swings in the park.

I sit next to her and find myself swinging high into the air like she is.

“My mother wants me to start dating again.” I say out of the blue. I keep finding it so easy to talk to her.

“So your not married?” It’s a fair question I guess. I can’t bring myself to say the word no so I nod my head yes.

“And your not ready.” She says as if she knows the whole story already.

“No.” We both swing higher and higher and I have to admit it feels good to do this again.

“So tell her.” I wish it were that easy.

“I told my dad and that’s why I went for a walk.”

“They just want you to be happy.” I know she right but I can’t betray Sarah

“I know they do but it’s not that simple.” I want to tell her the story but I know that I won’t be able to get it out without crying and that is not something I want to do in front of her right now. “It’s just too soon.”

“How long has it been?” She asks with such kindness in her voice.

“Two years two weeks and three days.” I sound like some obsessive freak but feel every minute that Sarah isn’t in my life.

“I’m sorry. I know you year that a lot but it will get better eventually and when your ready you will find someone to patch your heart up. It won’t ever be full and that’s ok.” I wonder if she knows that Sarah died or if she’s just assuming that we got divorced. From the way she’s talking it seems as if she knows the truth but how could she?

“Thank you.” I quickly blink trying to hold back tears. We sit quietly for a while until I see a familiar figure walking towards me.

“Shit.” I hop off the swing and meet her half way. I swear she has a tracking device planted on me somewhere. How the hell did she find me here?

“Dad thought you’d be at the park.” She definitely has something implanted in me. This park isn’t Central park but it isn’t small either.

“I’m sorry I lost track of time.” I give her a hug and kiss on the cheek.

“It’s fine. Let’s go.”

“Ok give me second.” I jog back over to Liz.

“So that’s Isabel.” She says laughing.

“Yeah. Thank you for today.”

“No problem.” I say goodbye and jog back over to Isabel who is watching me like a hawk.

“Who was that?”

“Liz. Her parents own a local restaurant.”

“Oh.” She says but I know she has more to say then that.

“Just say it.”

“What? What makes you think I have something to say?” I quirk an eyebrow at her

“You do realize that we’re twins right? I’ve known you your whole life Isabel so tell me what your thinking.”

“I’m thinking that I need to talk to this Liz who’s parents own a local restaurant.” I shake my head and laugh.

“Let’s go.” We get into the car and drive back home.

“So who are you styling these days?”

“No one interesting.” She shrugs.

“What’s going on? Your always so quick to tell me who your working for this week.” She pulls over and puts the car in park.

“Don’t freak ok?”

“Ok.” She looks at me like she doesn’t believe me “What? I said ok.”

“I’m engaged.” She pulls out a necklace from under her shirt and flashes a rather large engagement ring.

“Your what?”

“You promised!”

“Iz come on. I didn’t even know you were dating and now you tell me that your engaged. Oh God, your not-”

“No! Come on Max, I’m not pregnant.” She smack my arm.

“Well you’re the one keeping secrets.”

“Give me some credit would you.”

“Ok. Well who is he?” I quickly run through who it could be and come up with no one. Isabel hasn’t gotten serious with anyone in a while.

“Well, you sort of know him.”

“I do?” I can’t think of anyone.

“It’s Alex Whitman.”

“Your lying.” I say. It’s the first thing that comes to mind.

“I’m not! Why would I lie?”

“How the hell did that happen?” I have to ask. You’ll find out why in a minute I’m sure.

“You’re an ass.” She rolls her eyes at me. “Anyway, I met him while I was doing some volunteer work. We were working for the same charity.”

“Your still doing that?” I laugh. “I thought it was a phase.”

“Hello, adopting three dogs is hardly a phase!”

“Ok. Sorry.” I rub my arm where she went hulk on me. “Why haven’t we met him before? I mean I can understand mom and dad not meeting him but why not me?”

“It all happened so fast. Kind of like you and-” She stops. “I’m sorry, I didn’t-”

“It’s fine.” I wave her off and smile letting her know that I’m fine which I really am.

“So we met and hit it off. We had dinner a few times then we started officially dating. A few months into it I just knew. Do you know how I knew?” I shake my head no.

“The whole time we were together he never one told me I was beautiful.” I look at her strangely. “ I know it sounds funny but he never complimented me on my looks. He made me feel smart.”

“You are smart Iz.”

“I know but guys don’t usually see that.”

“The assholes don’t.” And trust me Isabel has gone out with every available and not available asshole in all of Manhattan.

“So how long have you been engaged?”

“About two weeks. Max, help me tell mom and dad.”

“Of course.” she reaches over and hugs me then turns the car back on.

“So seriously, how the hell did you hook up with Alex Whitman, millionaire geek?”

“He’s not a geek jerk!” She punches me in the arm again, hard. I’m going to need protective gear because between her and Liz I’m never going to be able to wear short sleeves again.
My Fics
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Sorry for the wait. I was in Philly for the holidays :D Anyway thank you all for the FB i really appreciate it. I hope you like this part :D

~*~*Chapter 4~*~*

Isabel and I pull up to the house, just as I’m about to get out she grabs my arm stopping me. I turn to face her and see that she has a smile on her face.

“You look good. I mean you look happy.” She says.

“I feel good.”

“I’m glad.”

“So how about we tell them after dinner? Dad should be in a good mood by then.” I suggest. Isabel and I aren’t as close as we were and I feel strange talking to her about feelings now.

We step out of the car and walk inside only to be met by the strangest funkiest odor ever.

“There you guys are!” My mother comes out of the kitchen wiping her hands on her apron. Great, she cooked something.

“Mom, didn’t you say we were going out tonight?” Isabel asks. She sounds more worried then anything.

“We can do that anytime. I wanted to cook something nice for you guys tonight.” My stomach is already turning and fuck me, I forgot to buy antacids!

“I’m on a diet mom. I can’t just eat anything.” Isabel says. It’s total bullshit but I can’t blame her for trying. Isabel has never been on a diet in her life.

“Nonsense, your on vacation and you don’t need to be on a diet anyway.” I smile at Isabel and get a glare from her. My father comes in shortly after and tries his lame attempt at getting out of it but he fails miserably as well. It looks like we’re all going to suffer tonight. I think a small part of my mother knows what she’s doing to us with her cooking and the scary thing is that she may enjoy it.

Dinner was…I’d actually rather forget about it so lets just say that dinner came and went.

I sit outside nursing a beer when Isabel nudges me and mouths it’s time. I follow her into the house.

“Mom, dad I have something to tell you.” My mother and father’s attention turns to her immediately.

“What is it honey?” My mother asks while she puts away whatever she was trying to pass off as food.

“Well. I’m-I Uh.” I see her struggling and decide to jump in and help.

“Isabel has some great news to share.” I encourage her to tell them but she’s frozen. I have to admit it’s nice to finally see Isabel speechless. Not that I don’t love to her hear talk or anything especially when she’s pointing things out that she hates or- Ok I’m getting off track. Anyway I see her scared out of her mind and get it over with for her.

“Isabel has met someone and is engaged.” Its like pulling of a band-aid.

“Excuse me.” My father speaks for the first time since the dinner incident. I think he was scared to open his mouth frankly, not that I blame him or anything.

“Max is right. I’ve met someone and I’m in love.” Ok she sounded like she was sixteen and just fell in love with her first boyfriend.

“Marriage Isabel? Who is this guy and why haven’t we heard of him before?”

“Dad you know how I am with relationships. I wanted to make sure it was serious before I said anything.”

“Well an engagement is serious I’d say.” I can sense and argument coming up so I try to interject.

“Well, I’m happy for her.” I say trying to lighten the mood. Isabel smiles at me.

“Have you set a date?” My mother asks.

“Not yet but I’m going to need your help mom.” My mother’s face brightens up. Isabel and my mother start talking about wedding plans while my father runs to get his bank book mentioning something about this costing him a small fortune.

I disappear into the backyard and sit on the hammock staring up at the stars again. My father comes out a few minutes later and hands me a beer. I think he’s trying to get my in trouble with mom but I take it anyway.

“So how do you feel about all of this?” He asks pulling up a char in front of me.

“If she’s happy then I’m happy.” He nods and we sit in silence for the most part until Isabel comes out.

“Mom wants you inside dad.” My father rolls his eyes and walks into the house.

“Please tell me your happy for me. I mean really happy.” She says sitting next to me on the hammock.

“You know that I am. As long as your happy I’m fine.”

“I want you to be apart of this Max. I need you behind me.”

“I will be.” I wrap my arm around her and swing us back and forth.

“If you want to talk about her I’m here.” She says as if she’s reading my mind.

“I know.” Isabel and Sarah were close. I know that her loss affected Isabel greatly as well.

“I miss her.” I say quietly

“We all do.” She says and she’s right. Everyone’s life Sarah touched was a little brighter. We don’t speak for a while then finally go inside before heading to bed.

My mother is excited about the wedding and my father is still undecided.

The next morning I’m woken up once again at the butt crack of down but this time it’s by Isabel.

“Iz come on. It’s early.” I whine and flip over burying my head under my pillow.

“I want to go for a run.”

“So go. I’m not stopping you. Have fun.” I don’t hear any sounds and think that she’s left when she does the one thing that I hate. She throws the curtains open and pulls the blankets off of me.

“Isabel! What if I was naked?”

“Oh shut up. You wouldn’t sleep naked here.” Reluctantly I get out of bed and pad to the bathroom washing my face and brushing my teeth.

“Hurry up. I’ll meet you downstairs in ten.” With that she walks out of the room. I have to shake my head. Only Isabel would make someone go running with them at six AM when they are on vacation.

“We need to do five miles at least.” She says once we get outside. At least it’s not hot out yet.

Surprisingly she finds a street I haven’t been down yet but as predicted we end up on main street eventually.

“I’m starving and if we don’t eat out we’ll have to eat whatever mom decides to pass off as edible.”

“Ok.” not realizing where we are I look up and see that we are in front of the Crash Down.

“This place looks interesting.” We walk inside and for some reason I’m kind of wishing that we don’t see Liz. Isabel can be unpredictable at times.

We’re seated at one of the booths and place our drink order.

“Oh my God have you seen the menu?” She laughs and reads some of the items out loud. I laugh along with her not really wanting to admit that I’ve been here before.

“Hey!” I hear her voice and my head snaps up to look at her. “You made it.” She says.

“Yeah.” I try to hide my smile from Isabel not wanting to give her any ammo.

“Well order anything you’d like, it’s on the house. I’ll be back to take your order.” She walks away and I scan the menu as if I’m reading the latest James Patterson book. Isabel doesn’t say anything and it’s freaking me out a little.

“Are you guys ready?” Liz asks after handing us our drinks.

“I’ll have an egg white omelet with one egg yolk, wheat toast no butter and a small fruit bowl.”

“And you?” Liz asks after jotting down Isabel’s crazy order.

“Ummm I’ll just have some pancakes.” It was the first thing I could think of.

“OK I’ll be back soon.” She walks away with a smile on her face meanwhile I’m furious.

“What the hell was that all about?” I ask once Liz is out of earshot.

“What are you talking about?”

“Why did you order that? You know it’s not on the menu.”

“What does it matter? They have the ingredients, it’s not that hard of an order to fill.” The sad part is that in her mind what she just said, is normal.

“When did you turn into such a snob?” I don’t wait for an answer and get up to find Liz. Isabel had no right to act that way towards her. I spot her handing our order to the cook and get her attention.

“Hey, I’m sorry about Isabel. She isn’t usually like that.”

“It’s ok. Your order should be out soon.” I don’t know if she’s really upset or if it hasn’t bothered her at all.

“Thank you. Again, I’m sorry.” She smiles and walks to another table.

Breakfast was interesting. Isabel and I didn’t speak while we ate but I took great satisfaction in the fact that Liz was nothing but nice to her the whole time despite Isabel being a royal bitch.

Once we get outside I can’t resist and have to ask her what her problem was.

“Care to share what that was all about? And don’t say nothing.” She doesn’t answer me and it’s pissing me off.

“Isabel don’t ignore me. Why were you being so rude? Liz was just trying to be nice.”

“A little too nice for my taste.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” I ask trying to keep up with the fast pace she’s walking.

“Nothing Max. Can we just drop it please?” It wasn’t really a request but I let it go. Once Isabel shows signs of being bored with a conversation it’s pretty much over.

We get back to the house and find my mother on her way to some plant store again. I’m too annoyed with Isabel right now so I head up to ‘my’ room and take a shower.

My thoughts turn to Liz and what Isabel did today. While it’s classic Isabel and I shouldn’t be surprised it still wasn’t right. When I mentioned that Sarah’s death hit everyone hard I meant it. Isabel rarely lets anyone into her life but she let Sarah in. Isabel became the sister she never had and always wanted. They would travel together and shop every time Isabel was in town. Isabel tried to put up a brave front at first but at Sarah’s funeral se broke down and I’ll never forget how fragile Isabel looked then. Even though we are the same age, Isabel has always seemed older. She would always take care of me much like an older sister would.

After I was healed up much disappeared. Except for the semi weekly phone calls I wouldn’t hear from her. It was a year before I saw her and two months after that I moved out of the house. I battled with myself on weather or not to sell. A big part of me wanted to hold onto the house, to our house, but in the end I ended up selling. I felt myself falling into a funk and had to make a change.

I get downstairs after quickly throwing on some clothes and see my mother talking to someone in the backyard.

“Max! There you are. Come out here.” What the hell does she want now?

“Tara this is Max. Max this is Tara she works at the nursery.”

“Nice to meet you.” She hugs me and it takes me off guard. I can see why my mother would think I’d be interested in a girl like her but its obvious that my mother doesn’t really know me.

“I was telling Tara about this new Italian place that opened up just outside of town. You should take her to dinner there.” My father should really worry about my mother. She’s not alright.

“Mom-”

“That sounds great. I love Italian.” She looks like she hasn’t eaten a thing in a year or two.

“I’d like to but I can’t.” Her face drops but I don’t feel bad for her. She shouldn’t have let my mom rope her into this.

“Mom, I can’t find any Q-tips.” Isabel comes out and I breathe a sigh of relief. She’ll put a stop to this right away.

“Oh Isabel, come meet Tara. She’s Max’s friend.” Like I said, she needs to be examined. I just met the girl and I’m a friend for life now?

“Nice to meet you?” Ok I have to be dreaming because I know, I KNOW that I didn’t just see Isabel smile at her.

“Max is going to take Tara out to a new Italian place.” Ok the old Isabel will step in any minute now. Any minute now….

“That’s a great idea.” What?! I stand there not being able to move or talk. My mother has a freaking kool aide smile on and Isabel stands there like it’s the most natural thing in the world that I’m dating. I have to walk inside, I can’t take it anymore.

I pour myself a glass of water and watch the three of them chat like they are old freaking friends. My mother comes back inside with Tara and reminds me about my date with her. I fully intend on blowing her off but I agree. No sense in having an argument with her now. As soon as my mother leaves I walk outside needing to ask Isabel what the hell is wrong with her.

There she is, Princess Isabel lying on a hammock without a care in the world. Well fuck that, I need answers because I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.

“Have you gone completely nuts?” I ask her not really wanting an answer, it was more of a statement.

“What are you talking about?” She doesn’t even look up at me but continues to flip through some fashion magazine.

“Isabel, don’t play stupid with me.”

“You don’t even like that girl.” She licks her finger then flips the page again.

“Yeah, and?”

“You’re only going out with her because mom wants you to. You don’t want to date her.” Why does she feel the need to state the obvious? I stand there thinking about what she’s saying trying to find the meaning behind it. I must be dense because I don’t get it.

“So why are you so happy about me going out with her?” I give in and ask. She’s not going to come out and say it.

“I’m not happy, I just don’t care.”

“Why not?”

“What did you expect me to do, throw a fit Max? I don’t care if you go out.”

“Then why were you such a bitch to Liz the other day?” I’ve got her there.

“I can’t believe you went to law school. When did you get so dense?” She closes the magazine and looks me right in the eyes. “You like her, I can see it. You’re not ready to date yet, I mean really date, but I know that she’s going to become a part of your life.”

“Isabel, how can you know that?”

“Mark my words.” She walks back into the house and I’m left taking in what she just said. It’s not that I don’t like Liz but I’m not sure if I like her in the way Isabel is thinking.
My Fics
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

WOW! Thank you ALL for your FB. I love that the story is getting such a reaction from you guys. Isabel may seem selfish to some of you but one thing I loved about Isabel from the show was that, for me, the things that she did were out of love, fear or both. She may seem selfish but I love Isabel, she won’t always be like that and there is a reason for everything. :wink:

Thank you all again. I appreciate each comment.

I got a new laptop and i'm still trying to get used to the keyboard so i apologize for any errors in advance, i think i got them all tho. :D

begonia9508
FamersAmers
roswell3053
Dreamer 3
BehrObsession
Clueless
Michelle in Yonkers
ShatteredDreamer
dreamer19
martine
jamy21
Emz80m
OrangeSky
Smac
Hazz
candycane14

~*~Chapter 5~*~

I walk back into the house and see my father at the kitchen table with maps.

“What’s all this?” I ask getting a closer look.

“I was just mapping out some good hiking spots.” See this is why I love my father. He actually thinks that Isabel is going camping. Poor guy.

“Dad, come on. You know Isabel isn’t going to go camping.” He frowns and I sort of feel bad for him but he should know better. Since my mother or Isabel aren’t around right now I decide to relax out back.

I close my eyes and take in the silence. It used to be something that I hated but I’m starting to love it lately. I hear some commotion coming from the house and go check out what’s going on.

“Alex just invited us to his lake house for the weekend.” She’s so excited; I’m just waiting for my father to crush it for her.

“Which weekend?” He asks.

“Next weekend.” My father makes some kind of low grunt noise and all I know is that it’s not a good thing.

“Why such short notice?” He asks. I have to laugh a little at this. I can see Isabel getting annoyed and can’t wait to see how she handles this.

“Dad, stop with all the questions and just say yes. He really wants to meet you guys.” Oh she’s good. She’s doing that daddy’s little girl voice.

“Philip it’s a good way to finally meet him. You love the outdoors anyway.” Ladies and gentleman, the master at her finest. Between my mother and Isabel it’s a wonder my father ever makes his own decisions.

As predicted he agrees and Isabel rushes to the phone to call Alex while my mother reassures my father that they made the right decision.

I make my exit and decide to clear my head. I’m happy for Isabel. It’s hard for her to open up to people but it seems as if she’s found something that she seems to be comfortable with.

My stomach starts to grumble and I remember that I haven’t eaten in a while. I really have to do something about food because once again I’m in front of the crashdown.

As soon as I walk in a notice that it’s pretty empty. Glancing at my watch I notice that lunch is over. Scanning the restaurant I spot her towards the back and walk over to her.

“Hey, mind if I join you?” She looks up at me and I can tell she’s been crying.

“Sure.” She quickly wipes her eyes.

“Is everything ok?” I ask concerned.

“Not really.” She laughs but it’s a sad sort of laugh.

“Do you want to talk about it?” She shrugs. “How about we get out of here? My father showed me a lake near here the other day. We can try to find it if you want.” She doesn’t say anything but slides out of the booth.

“Let me get changed.” I nod and watch her walk upstairs. While I’m waiting I decide to get a slice of pie, Lord only knows what my mother is cooking for dinner.

She comes back down moments later wearing a pair of shorts and a pink T-shirt with the word bad written on it with a picture of an apple under it. I think she looks beautiful and love that she didn’t take hours to get changed or that she piled on tons of makeup.

“You ready?” She asks. I shove the rest of the pie down my throat and follow her out.

We get into her car and I give her directions. She knows where it is and we drive off. The ride is mostly silent, I don’t want to say anything wrong.

“It’s a nice day out.” It’s lame I know but the silence was worse.

“My dad isn’t getting any better.” She says softly.

“I’m sorry.” She nods and makes a few more turns before we pull into a parking spot.

“My mom is taking it really hard and I don’t know what to do or say.” She cuts the engine off but doesn’t make a move to get out of the car.

“have you been to see him?”

“I have but I don’t go that often. My mom is a wreck and I can’t stand to my father like that. I’m not used to seeing him so…..fragile.”

“It’s hard, I know but the best thing you can do is be there for your mom. She needs you right now.”

”I know.” We get out of the car and sit on a dock overlooking the water.

“Do they know what’s wrong?” She’s never gone into details with me and I hope I didn’t overstep my bounds.

“He had a minor stroke a few months ago and he was getting better but now they aren’t sure what’s wrong. That’s what makes it so hard I guess. The not knowing you know?”

“I’m sorry.” I don’t know what to say. I feel like an idiot.

“Thank you.” I see the tears flow down her face and reach over to hug her.

It feels strange having someone in my arms again like this but her body – fits.

“I’m sorry. Every time we see each other it seems as if I’m having some sort of crisis.” She laughs and wipes her tears away.

“It’s ok. I’m just glad I could help.”

“So how are things now that your sister is here?”

“Not bad. She’s actually engaged.” I smile.

“Wow! That is exciting.” She slips her sandals off and skims her feet over the water.

“Yeah it was a surprise. We had no idea she was serious with anyone.”

“Why would she keep it a secret?” I’m about to answer when she stops me. “I’m sorry – it’s none of my business.” I usually hate questions like this but for some reason I don’t mind her asking me questions.

“It’s ok. I don’t mind.” She brings her feet up out of the water and I look over at her pink toes. I don’t know why they caught my eye but they did. “She didn’t say anything because – well she’s Isabel.” I laugh. “She wanted to keep things low profile until she was sure it was serious. It all happened quickly she said.”

”How do you feel about it?”

“As long as she’s happy I’m fine. If she’s found someone that can make her happy then I say she’s ahead of the game.”

“I want that.” She says softly then looks away.”

“You’ll have that and it will be great.” I smile and briefly think of Sarah.

“Is – is that how it was for you?” I can tell she didn’t want to ask and it would have pissed me off had it been anyone else or had it been a few months ago but again, for some reason it doesn’t.

“Very much so.” I answer and can’t stop the tears from forming as a rush of emotion comes over me. I quickly blink them away before they fall.

“I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“It’s ok.” I haven’t cried over Sarah’s death since the funeral. I’ve come close but the tears have never fallen. In a way I think that she won’t want me to cry anymore anyway.

“Hey, what are you doing next weekend?” It’s random I know but I couldn’t just sit here in silence.

“Um nothing, just working why?”

“Well Isabel’s fiancé has invited us to his lake house next weekend and I thought you might like to come. Seems like you could use a little break.” I don’t know where the idea came from but it sounded less insane in my mind.

“I don’t know. I have to cover the restaurant since my mom isn’t around. What about you family? I mean won’t they think it’s strange me coming with you?” Strange doesn’t even begin to cover it but I’m not telling her that.

“No. Not at all.” So I’m a liar. Sue me. “Just think about it ok? I’m sure your parents had someone they trusted to run the restaurant when you were living in Jersey and it would only be for a few days. If anything happens to your dad we’ll just hop on a plane and be back here in no time.” God, could I sound anymore desperate?

“Just hop on a plane huh?” She smirks. “I’ll think about it ok?”

“Sounds good to me.” My stomach growls loudly. I have to admit that I’m a little embarrassed. She must think that I’m starving myself or something.

“I found out that there’s a Whole Foods place not too far from here. How about we take a ride over there?” She stands up and slips into her shoes.

“That sounds like heaven.” We walk back to the car and drive towards food.

“I’m just going to call the restaurant and let them know that I’ll be late.”

“Ok.” I stare out the window as we drive down the street. She snaps her phone shut and says everything is ok.

“Do you mind if I turn the radio on?”

“No not at all.” She turns the radio on rather loud and starts to sing along to a song.

“I love this song!” She turns it up even louder, something I didn’t think was possible and sings alone, rather badly to Maroon 5’s This love.

“I know you know the words to this. Why aren’t you singing?” She’s kidding right?

“I don’t sing.” She shrugs and continues to sing. I’m just praying that the song ends. ASAP.

“Oh come on. You know you want to sing.”

“I don’t know the words.”

“Oh my God, what a liar! How could you not know the words to this song? Everyone knows the words.” She’s got a point. I mean, they only play it on the radio about twenty times a day, minimum.

This love has taken it’s toll on me, she said goodbye too many times before.” I sing as loud as I can. We both start to laugh and sing along to the rest of the song.

“Man we suck.” She says turning the radio down.

“Hey, speak for yourself.” She looks at me with a raised eyebrow. “Ok we suck. But it was fun.” She finds another song and before I know it I’m singing right along with her.

Five songs later we pull up to Whole foods and I can’t think of a time I was happier to see food. I practically rush inside and scan the menu as soon as we are seated.

“So uh what are you going to eat?” I ask her.

“Ha ha. I can eat health food I just chose not to.” We both order almost the same thing and wait for our food.

“So is your sister going to be ok with me going? I mean if I go?”

“She’ll be too busy worrying about Alex and my father getting along to care. I just need someone so my mother doesn’t decide to take it upon herself to arrange a date for me.”

“Ahh so your using me. That’s cool.” I think she’s serious for a moment before I see her smile.

“It would really help me out.”

“What are you going to say to your parents?” She asks

“That I’m madly in love with you.” Her eyes widen and I burse out laughing.

“Jerk!” She slaps my arm.

“I’m kidding. I don’t need to explain myself to them. You’re a friend and I’ve invited you along.”

“Where would we sleep?”

“I’m sure there are plenty of rooms for everyone. Don’t worry, we won’t share.” The minute I say it I realize it sounds as if the thought offends me. It doesn’t but I’m not ready to share a room with another woman yet.

“Well I’ll have to think about it but it does sound fun.” Our food arrives and we eat and talk about small things. The more I talk to her the more I want to talk to her. Her voice is soothing and for some reason i'm drawn to her.

*Song used was This love by Maroon 5. The song does not belong to me*
My Fics
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Thank you guys SO much for the FB. Sorry I can't thank you each personally but RL has been crazy lately. Hope you enjoy the next part. :D

~*~Chapter 6~*~*

When I get back home I’m greeted by Isabel with her classic hands on hips tapping the foot pose.

“Where the hell have you been?” She asks. I smirk before I answer.

“Out.” I answer and try to walk passed her.

“What’s that?” She points to my take out box.

“Food.” If I keep the answers short she might get frustrated and back off, maybe.

“You’ve been gone for four hours.” I guess that tactic isn’t working.

“Was I?” Acting dumb works sometimes.

“Whatever, mom wants to talk to you.” Next time I’ll go for the acting dumb and save myself some aggravation.

“Iz said you were looking for me?” I find my mother in the kitchen but thank God she’s not cooking.

“There you are. I set everything up with Tara for tomorrow.” I love how she thinks it’s OK for her to set up this “date” as if it’s a play date or something like when I was a kid.

“Ok.” I also realize that making any sort of comment would be pointless.

“You’ll pick her up tomorrow at her house.” I keep telling myself that after the weekend at Alex’s I’m out of here. Might as well avoid a big blow up with my mother.

“You know I don’t drive.” She sighs and tilts her head to the side.

“Fine I’ll have her come here.” I know she doesn’t understand why I won’t get behind the wheel of a car but it’s my personal choice. After getting my instructions about my date I head upstairs needing a break from all the wedding stuff that Isabel has spread all over the house.

As I walk upstairs I think of Liz. I don’t know what came over me and made me invite her to Alex’s but she’s the first women I’ve actually wanted to be around in months. I enjoy her company, besides; I wouldn’t want my mother to do something crazy like invite Tara or something.

I lay on the bed for a while just letting everything soak in. Glancing down at my wedding band I wonder what Sarah would think. I hope she’d want me to be happy, I know I’d want the same for her.

I sit and think for a while then hop off the bed and search for Isabel so I can get the details on the weekend. When I get downstairs I see her on her cell phone again. I wonder what kind of plan she’s got because she’s always on that damn thing.

I start to walk out of the room but she starts flailing her arms around to get me to stay.

“Ok, I love you too.” It must be Alex.

“So what’s the plan?” I ask when she hangs up.

“We’re all flying up Thursday afternoon. You, mom and dad will fly back Monday night. I’m staying with Alex then he and I are flying back to New York on Wednesday.”

“Oh so your leaving me? I was going to leave after Alex’s too.”

“Where do you have to be?” She asks.

“Iz, you know I can’t stay with mom and dad for too long. I love them but you know how they are. Besides I have to be in LA anyway.” My mother walks in and Isabel informs her of our plans.

“Oh good. I’ll call Tara and see if she can make it.” My head snaps up.

“What!” I practically scream.

“You can’t go alone Max. Everyone is going to have a partner and you’re going to be all alone. It won’t be even.” What the hell does that mean? Won’t be even?

“Mom-”

“I think it’s a great idea.” Isabel says. Ok they’ve both gone nuts. I need to have a serious talk with Isabel because she’s totally killing me here.

“I’ve already invited someone.” I blurt out. It wasn’t the way I wanted to tell them but you can’t always get what you want right?

“What?” I wish I had a video camera to record how fast their heads turned. It had to be record breaking.

“You remember Liz right? Well her dad’s been sick and I thought she could use a break so I invited her.” I say as if it’s the most logical thing in the world. Well, to me it is anyway.

“Well, I guess it’s settled then.” My mother walks out and Isabel says nothing. I’m worried a little.

“Oh and Max, your still taking Tara out.” Great! I love how my mom bosses me around at my age.

~*~*

“Are you walking there?” Isabel walks into my room and sits on the bed.

“No. She’s picking me up.” I run my hands through my wet hair and button up my shirt.

“I wonder if mom told her.”

“Knowing mom I’m sure she did.” I shrug and sit next to Isabel while I lace up my shoes.

“Why did you invite Liz, Max?” I knew she was going to ask me eventually.

“I don’t know.”

“Max.” She looks at me with a raised eyebrow totally calling me on my bullshit.

“She’s going through a hard time now, I though it would be nice for her to get away that’s all.”

“Seems like you know her pretty well then. I mean if you’re comfortable enough to invite her for the weekend.” Her statement makes me think. I do feel comfortable around Liz, for some odd reason, and I wonder why.

“I guess I am.” I look at myself in the mirror one last time before walking downstairs with Isabel right behind me.

I sit on the sofa waiting for Tara to get here. The faster she comes the faster I can be back home.

“So you like her then? This Liz person?” I knew she wasn’t going to let it go.

“I like talking to her.” She doesn’t say anything and I wonder what she’s thinking.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea Max. She might get the wrong impression.” Ok I’ve just about had it with everyone pushing their opinions about who I talk to or not talk to.

“What wrong impression? What makes you think that I haven’t told her exactly why I wanted her to come? And what makes you think that I don’t want something more with her? I’m not a monk Isabel. I love Sarah, I’ll always love her but I’m going to move on one day. That’s the plan anyway. I mean, you don’t want me to be alone for the rest of my life do you?” It’s not a question but more of a statement. She doesn’t say anything and for the first time I realize that I just told her that I’m going to move on from Sarah.

“I just think your jumping the gun a little here. You don’t have to fall in love with the first girl you meet and have nice conversation with.” Now I’m pissed. This is bullshit.

“Isabel stop being so fucking selfish would you? Can’t you just let me be happy? Weather or not I fall in love is none of your business. I like her, I like talking to her. She’s coming with me next weekend and if I were you I’d be civil. Don’t piss me off Isabel.” I get up to walk out of the room and wait outside when I hear my mother.

“Max you look very nice.” My mom comes out and I swear she was about to take pictures as if I’m going to prom again or something.

“Thanks.” She stares at me and it’s making me nervous. I’m about to say something when the doorbell rings.

“I’ll see you guys later.”

“Wait, aren’t you going to invite her in?” My mother asks. I wasn’t planning on it actually.

“No.” Before she can say anything I walk out the door and begin this date.

The ride to the restaurant is odd to say the least. She was driving like a freaking old person. She didn’t go over ten miles per hour. I swear I saw someone pass us in a walker.

“Here we are. Your mom said you liked exotic foods.” I look up and see that we are at an Indian restaurant. So much for Italian. I’m actually surprised that Roswell even had an Indian restaurant but here we are.

We’re seated and everything is going smoothly so far. I scan the menu and I’m glad that she isn’t really talking.

“Are you ready to order?” our waiter comes to the table with pad in hand.

“Yes we are.” I let her go first; it’s the nice thing to do. By the time she’s done I realize that she’s ordered for me as well. I let it go; maybe she’s a control freak. Either way it’s not my problem since I’ll never see her again.

“So your mother shared your story with me and I just want to say that I think it’s great that you’re getting back out there. You know….into the dating field.” She reaches over and takes my hand into hers.

“I’m not really dating.” I correct her so there is no mistake about what this is and snatch my hand away. I don’t like being touched…especially by her.

“And I’m totally ok with you wearing your wedding bad. I mean even when we get married, you can wear it on the other hand or something.” She’s kidding right? She has to be. No one can be this delusional.

“Excuse me?”

“Maybe we can name our first born after her or something, you know to honor her memory.” My mother must be on some serious stuff if she thought for one second that I would like this girl. She’s insane, literally insane!

“Listen, I’m not comfortable talking about this, least of all with you.”

“Well I just thought you’d like to discuss our future.” I can’t take it anymore. I need to get out of here.

“Look you’ve got the wrong idea about me. I’m not looking into having a future with anyone right now.” I don’t give her a chance to respond and rush towards the door.

Once I’m outside and around the corner I realize that I’m way too far from the house to walk.

Shit! I have to call someone to pick me up. Having no other choice I call Isabel and quickly tell her where I am. Luckily she wasn’t pissed off and actually agreed to come get me. I’m even luckier that insane girl hasn’t come out to find me.

“You’re kidding me right? She did not say that stuff Max.” I retell what happened as we drive back home.

“Do you really think I’d make this up? She’s not right in the head Isabel. I don’t know what mom was thinking but that girl scared me.”

“She does sound insane.” We get home and my mother is standing by the door looking pissed off.

“Maxwell Evans I can not believe that you walked out on that girl. Have you no manners?”

“She-” I try to explain why I left.

“Do you have any idea how embarrassed I was when she called me telling me that you just stormed out of there like some-some madman.”

“Madman? You should have heard the things she was saying!”

“Like what Max? What did she say to make you run away like that?” I tell her what happened and wait for her response.

“Honestly Max you didn’t have to lie.” she says and walks away. I shake my head and step outside, I need some air. It’s official. My mother and sister are insane.

~*~*~

The next morning I have to sneak out once again. All I heard were pots and pans being banged around and I got out of there as fast as I could.

For some reason as I get closer and closer to the Crash Down I feel butterflies in my stomach. Maybe I’m just hungry.

I walk inside and quickly realize that this place gets crazy in the morning. There is a line of people waiting to be seated and everyone is running around.

I look around for Liz but don’t see her anywhere. Luckily most of the people in front of me are in large groups so the wait isn’t as long as I thought it would be.

“Hey.” She greets me with that ridiculously cute uniform on.

“Hi.” She leads me to a table and pulls her order pad out.

“You know, for a health nut your spending an awful lot of time in a greasy diner.”

“If you saw the stuff my mother tries to pass off as food you’d eat greasy food too trust me.” We both laugh and I order some pancakes.

“I’ll be right back with your order.” I nod and watch her walk to the kitchen. She delivers a few plates then brings me mine.

“Here you go.”

“Thanks.” I reach for the syrup and pour some on. I am eating very differently lately.

“So I was thinking about your offer and I’d like to go if the offer still stands.” She slides into the booth across from me and watches me bring the fork up to my mouth.

“It does. I’ll give you all the details later tonight if you’re free.” Shit! Did I just ask her out on a date?

“I should be done here around six. I like to cover the dinner rush. Do you want to meet me here around seven?”

“Sounds good.” She smiles and goes back to delivering plates. I finish my breakfast and head to the park for a run. It’s the only thing I can do to balance all the junk food I’ve been eating.

While I love being on vacation, well sort of, I miss going to work. I’m a person that needs routine. Although I don’t love my job I don’t exactly hate it. It keeps me busy which helped me a lot when Sarah passed away. Most people suggest taking time off, time to heal but for me work was helping me more then anything or anyone. The one good thing that came out of it is that I made partner is record time. Sarah would have been proud. I smile as a memory of her comes into my mind.

Needing to catch my breath I sit on a bench near a tree that’s providing some much needed shade right now. I lean my head back and look straight up through the branches and leaves. Sarah and I used to love collecting leaves and framing them every fall. She always loved the colors of fall and now I do too.

A lone bird flies across the sky and I smile. Somehow I know that it was Sarah letting me know she’s here with me. I look over and can see the crashdown from where I sit. A few moments later Liz comes out with what I assume is a delivery and I smile as I watch her cross the street. There is something that’s intriguing about her. I find myself wanting to get to know her better.
My Fics
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Thank you all for your continued FB. I hope you had a great holiday!!! I'm posting this from work so hopefully there aren't many errors. :D

~*~*Chapter 7~*~*

Its six thirty and I’m praying that Liz gets here early. Isabel cooked for a small army, I polished off my share but there are still a crap load of left overs. My mother kept trying to help but Isabel would smoothly brush her off. The whole breakfast could have gone south in an instant.

The doorbell rings and I almost break my leg trying to get to it before Isabel does.

“Hey.” I smile like a freaking idiot when I open the door. She looks so incredibly cute right now.

“Hi. I hope I’m not too early.” I step aside and let her in.

“With Isabel no one is ever early. You’re always late.” She laughs and puts her bag down next to the pile by the stairs.

“Ok.” She’s wearing a white polo shirt with a dark pair of jeans that accent her body just right. Her white converses push the appeal right over the edge.

“Have you had breakfast? Isabel cooked and she’s a great cook.” Could I sound lamer? You’d think I never had a conversation with a female before.

“I was too nervous to eat. You know because…”

“Don’t be nervous. Come eat something, at least a bagel.” I take her hand and lead her into the kitchen.

One would think that I brought home some mutant or something because when we walk into the kitchen they are staring at us like we have four heads.

“Hello.” Liz says softly.

“It’s so nice to see you again.” My mother stands up and gives her a hug. Way to make me feel like a loser mom.

Isabel just smiles quickly and my father is too engulfed in his paper to notice anyone.

“Come have a seat, we have a few minutes before we have to leave.” My mother pats a space next to her and Liz sits. The next thing I know there is a plate full of food in front of her. She looks over at me and I just shrug, must be a mom thing.

“This looks great.” Liz says getting a smile from Isabel. She’ll always accept a compliment.

“Isabel made it; she wouldn’t let me help at all.” My mother laughs. Isabel gets up to make some last minute check up’s and my mother finally exits leaving me my dad and Liz at the table.

“Your sister’s head is going to explode one day.” My father laughs and sets his newspaper down.

“That will be something to see.” We all laugh but quickly stop when Isabel announces that it’s time to go.

~*~*

I can tell Liz is nervous. It’s almost as if the walk out to the tarmac is a walk of death for her.

“Don’t be nervous.” I take her hand in mine and guide her up the stairs. Isabel is right at home and quickly makes herself comfortable.

My parents sit side by side leaving Liz and I to share a bench near the back of the plane.

“It’s really small.” She says softly.

“Don’t worry.” I grab a bottle of water and twist the cap off before handing it to her.

“We are just about ready to take off Miss Evans. Clear skies all the way up.” Isabel thanks him and I think I just heard Liz breathe a sigh of relief.

The good thing about these small planes is that it takes a short amount of time to get to your destination. Less then an hour later we are in Colorado and stepping out of the plane.

“See that wasn’t so bad was it?” I laugh as Liz shakes her head no. We see two SUV’s in the parking lot and Isabel confirms that they are for us.

“Mom and dad will ride with me; you and Liz ride the other one.” I’m surprised she didn’t want to sit with Liz and I but I just shrug it off. Maybe the thin air is affecting her train of thought.

“So have you met him before?” Liz asks.

“No. I don’t know anything about him actually.” The drive up is beautiful. Trees are everywhere and it looks like snow has just fallen. The tops of the trees are dusted with snow.

“What’s his name anyway?”

“Alex Whitman.” I say casually. I look over when I hear her laughing.

“What?” I ask.

“Nothing. I do some work for him from time to time.” If I didn’t know what she did for a living the conversation would have gotten really interesting right now.

“Well there will be another person you know then.” Something catches her eye and she turns to look out the window.

“I wish I brought my camera with me. It’s all so beautiful.”

“It is.” She looks over and catches me looking at her. I quickly look away and hope that we get to his house soon.

“I think I see the house.” She points to a small mountain and sure enough there is a house.

“That must be it.” A few moments later we pull up to a large iron gate behind the car that has Isabel and My parents. The driver hit’s a few buttons and the gate opens.

“It’s so…big.” She says.

“That it is.” The house looks more like a resort. We drive up a circular driveway and I see Isabel practically jump out of the car and run into the arms of who I assume to be Alex.

“Is that Alex?” I ask helping her out of the car.

“That’s him.” I’ve only seen Alex Whitman a few times and even then it was in some magazine or on television. At first glace he does not look like the other men that Isabel has dated and for that I’m glad. I want her to be happy and she is glowing right now.

“Liz Parker?” I hear him ask when Isabel finally decides to let him go.

“Hey. Long time no see.”

“You two know each other?” Isabel asks sounding slightly annoyed.

“Liz here is a genius with numbers. She’s helped me out a few times.” I’m sure he’s being modest considering he runs a million dollar company.

“No big deal.” I love that she’s embarrassed. It’s endearing. Alex show’s us into the house and tells us that someone will take care of our bags for us.

We sit in the living room and are offered a variety of drinks.

“I wasn’t sure what you’d be up to tonight so I’m having dinner served here at the house, I hope that’s ok.” We all nod.

“Well now is as good of time as any to make introductions.” Isabel stands up and grabs Alex’s hand. “Alex, this is my mom and dad. And that is Max and you already know Liz.”

“I’m so glad you all could make it. Please, make yourselves at home and if there is anything you need please let Mary know.” A woman with white hair comes out from what seems like the shadows and smiles.

“Sam will show you around the property, I’m afraid I have some last minute business to attend to before dinner.” He kisses Isabel softly on the lips and exit’s the room.

There is a lake on the property as well as jet ski’s and equipment for water skiing. It would be nice if it wasn’t freezing out. The last stop is the pool and hot tub.

After the tour we are served fruit and sandwiches in the dining room.

“So what do you guys think?” Isabel asks. She’s really asking for my father opinion so we all watch him in anticipation.

“He’s done well for himself.” Leave it to my father to say something totally out of left field. Done well for himself? What kind of crazy shit is that? Whatever.

After lunch we head to our rooms to freshen up. Sam brings us upstairs and shows us our rooms.

“And this room is for Miss Parker and Mr. Evans.” We both stand there in shock when we realize that they’ve put us in the same room.

“Excuse me.”

“Yes sir.” He turns around to face me.

“We’re not together….I mean….we’re not uh sharing a room.”

“My apologies Mr. Evans. I’ll have her things moved right away. I’m so very sorry.” He grabs Liz’s things and walks to another room.

“That was odd.” She says making me laugh.

“I guess I’ll see you later?” She nods and walks to her new room.

Once the door closes I fall back onto the bed and rub my eyes. For some reason I’m tired. Well, Isabel’s insane wake up call could have something to do with it.

I’m woken up by a knock on the door. Turning over I realize that I’ve been asleep for a few hours.

“Come in.” I sit up and rub my eyes.

“Dinner in one hour.” Isabel informs me then closes the door behind her. I take a quick shower and get changed.

By the time I get downstairs everyone is seated including Alex. I’m either taking way too long to get ready lately or everyone else is early.

There is an empty chair next to Liz and I quickly make my way to it.

“I hope the food is ok for everyone. Isabel told me a few of your favorites so I made sure that the cook incorporated those in the menus for the next few days.” A small army of servants bring out silver platter after silver platter of food and I feel like I’m some kind of movie.

“So Alex, now that we are here face to face would you mind telling me why you didn’t come to me first before asking my daughter for her hand in marriage?” Do people still say that? Hand in marriage?

“Well sir I wanted to meet all of you first but unfortunately things progressed too quickly for that.”

“Really? Well I don’t know how I feel about someone marrying my daughter that couldn’t come to me first.” Ouch. Dad is hitting below the belt.

“I completely understand that sir but I assure you that I love your daughter and have nothing but the purest intentions towards her.” This conversation is turning a little too little house on the prairie for me.

“Well for your sake I hope your not lying.” Isabel changes the subject and surprisingly we all enjoy the dinner.

Once we are done eating Alex, my father and I head to a cigar room while Isabel, Liz and my mother go for a walk outside. I told Liz that she didn’t have to go but she was up for it. I hope she doesn’t feel uncomfortable while out there. Isabel can be rude sometimes.

“So Alex, why my daughter?” I almost spill my drink out.

“I’m sure you know better then I what Isabel has to offer.” Score for Alex. My father laughs a little so I take that as a good sign.

“I do but I’m concerned that your lifestyle might not be beneficial to a marriage.”

“I don’t know what you’ve read or heard about me but assure you that my success has not and will not go to my head. I remind myself everyday that as fast as I obtained it it can be gone even faster. I’m not a millionaire playboy Mr. Evans; I love your daughter very much. She completes my life.” Those words transport me to a time when I felt that way. I look out the window and wonder what she would think of this place.

“There you guys are. Come join us in the hot tub.” Isabel waltzes in and sits next to Alex.

“Oh honey your father and I are going to have to take a rain check. We’re going to turn in.” My father agrees and stands up to say goodbye to everyone.

“Well I guess that just leaves us then.” Alex says and gets up to get changed.

“You don’t have to go if you don’t want.” I say to Liz once they leave.

“I know. I want to, it sounds like fun. I’ve never been in a hot tub when it’s cold out.” She laughs and heads up to her room to change.

As I get changed I sit on the bed and wonder what it would be like to be with Liz, to really be with her.

“What’s wrong with you?” I say aloud. One minute I’m wondering if Sarah would like this place and the next I’m wondering what it would be like to be with Liz. It’s like I have two inner voices and they are not on the same page at all.

When I get outside I see they are all in the hot tub already.

“’Bout time princess.” I give Isabel the finger and slide into the water. It’s hot as hell at first and takes me a while to get used to it. I can feel the sweat forming on my forehead already.

“Red or white?” Alex lifts two glasses and waits for me to answer.

“White.” He puts one of the glasses down and fills the other one for me. I think I read somewhere that you’re not supposed to drink while in a hot tub, apparently I was the only one since everyone else is drinking.

“So Max, Isabel tells me that you’re a corporate lawyer. How do you like it?”

“It’s alright I guess. Work is work right?” I laugh and bring the glass up to my lips. I look over and see that Liz is sitting away from the three of us.

“Come here.” I mouth to her and wave her over. She slides over and is now inches away from me. Is it possible that I can feel the heat radiating off of her even in this hot water?

“Why are you sitting so far?” I ask her.

“I don’t know. I just feel weird I guess.” She shrugs and takes a sip of her wine. I wrap an arm around her and bring her closer to my side. For a second I question what I’m doing and half expect her to pull away but she doesn’t.

We start conversation about random things and Isabel and Alex decide to go inside. I thank God because the way they were looking at each other I was about to puke. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to my sister sucking face with a guy.

“Do you want to get out?” I ask.

“No. I’m fine.” I move over and look at her. The way the moon is lighting her face makes her look incredible. She looks up and catches me staring at her but neither of us looks away. We’re caught in this intense stare and I admit that it’s turning me on. I feel myself moving closer to her. My hand gently caresses her face and I revel in the softness of her skin. I slide between her legs while I continue to explore every curve of her face. Our lips are millimeters apart now and I can smell the scent of wine and strawberry lip gloss. Her warm breath caresses my face and I see her close her eyes. I could have sworn that I saw her nod her head but I chalk that up to the heat and wine. For some reason I look up at the night sky almost as if someone beckoned me too and see a shooting star. I lean into her and fuse our lips together. Our tongues battle and it’s as if someone has taken over me. A million emotions go through me but the one that stands out is that I don’t want this to end.

She wraps her arm around my neck pulling me even closer deepening our kiss. I feel myself getting excited and decide to pull away before it goes further then either of us wants.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.” I sit on the other side of the tub and try to catch my breath. The kiss was electric but I’m not sure it was the right thing to do.

“I’m going to go.” She grabs a towel and practically runs into the house.

“Liz-”

“It’s fine.” She calls out as she closes the door.

I’m an asshole. I’m an asshole of epic proportions, its official. I sit alone for a few moments then get up. I need to talk to her. I didn’t bring her here for this and I feel like she might think I did.
My Fics
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Thank you all for your incredible FB. My computer is being retarded so I can’t thank you individually but know that I appreciate and look forward to reading EACH comment :D . I hope you all had an awesome New Years!

~*~Chapter 8~*~*

I shouldn’t have done that? What the hell is wrong with me? Way to go Max, I’m sure that’s what every girl wants to hear after being kissed. Hopefully she can overlook the fact that I’m an idiot and still want to talk to me.

I walk up to her room and notice that the door is closed. I’m about to knock when I hear her crying and saying no.

“Liz?” I wait a moment and get no answer. I walk in and see her sitting in the middle of the bed crying. “Hey, what happened?” I sit next to her and hope that what happened between us didn’t get her this upset.

“My- My.” She can’t talk. Her body is shaking and I fear the worse.” My father D-” She doesn’t have to finish. I know what happened. I pull her into my arms and stroke her hair while she cries. Her tears soak my chest and I try to sooth her as best I can but I know that nothing will work right now. I know that all too well.

“We’re going to go home tonight. Can you get your stuff ready?” I lift her head and wipe her tears away. She nods and reaches over to grab a tissue.

“Ok, I’m going to let Isabel and Alex know. Pack what you can, I’ll be right back.” I kiss her forehead for some reason and head to Alex’s room. I knock softly and hope that I’m not interrupting anything.

“Come in.” I assumed Isabel would be lying in the bed with him and have to admit that I’m a little shocked when I walk in and see him lying in bed alone.

“Is everything alright?” He asks setting aside his laptop.

“Well no. Liz’s father - died and um we need to-”

“Say no more. Let me make a phone call.” He reaches over for his phone and I admit that I’m still waiting for Isabel to come out of the bathroom or something. He hangs up a few moments later.

“The plane will be ready in an hour. I’ll have Sam to drive you to the airport. If there is anything else I can do please let me know.” He gets up to walk me out and I have to ask him.

“Where’s Isabel?” He laughs.

“We’re not staying in the same room. She thought it would be….odd with your father here and all.” I smile and nod my head. Boy is he right.

“Thank you again Alex.”

“Please tell Liz that I’m sorry and don’t hesitate to call me for anything.” I thank him and ask him to tell Isabel and my parents.

“Ok, Sam is going to drive us to the airport. Do you have everything?” When I walked back in the room I saw that she was just sitting in the middle of the bed again.

“I’m sorry. I tried but I just can’t.” Tears start rolling down her face and it breaks my heart. I know the pain she’s feeling right now.

“It’s ok. I’ll do it.” I look around the room and grab whatever clothes I see. I’m sure Isabel can bring the rest when she comes back.

I get her packed and we head downstairs and into the car.

The ride is quiet. I know from experience that she has to accept the fact that he’s gone before she’ll want to talk. I let her lean into me and softly stroke her hair. Thought’s of the kiss we share invade my mind but I push them back, now is not the time to think about that.

We get there in record time and hail a cab to the hospital. Luckily the private airport is closer to Roswell . We step out of the cab and I feel her stop dead in her tracks.

“I’m right here.” I whisper in her ear and pull her gently towards the entrance. We ask the nurse where we can find Liz’s father.

Although it’s a different hospital it seems like it’s the same hallway. As we get closer to the double doors I feel her tense up and gently squeeze her arm letting her know I’m here for her.

We walk through the doors and she runs into her mothers arms.

~*~*

I’m having the craziest dream when I feel someone tap my shoulder.

“Your Max right?” It’s Liz’s mother. I look up at her and see her red rimmed eyes. When the nurse gave us the room number we met up with her just outside his room. Watching Liz walk into his room was like watching someone walk the plank. I’m thankful that I didn’t see Sarah that way.

“Yes.” My neck is killing me and I try to smooth out the kinks.

“I wanted to thank you for bringing Liz here. She’s taking it pretty hard as you can imagine.”

“You don’t have to thank me. How is she?” It’s a lame question but I don’t know her and I feel uncomfortable as it is.

“She’ll be ok.” She smiles slightly and stares at the wall. A part of me wants to leave but I know that isn’t right.

A few moments later the door opens and Liz walks towards us. I quickly get up and help her to the chair. She looks so broken. She tries to get me to leave but I tell her I’m staying. She may feel like she wants to be alone but I know that that isn’t the best thing for her right now.

Liz’s mother goes to talk to a doctor and asks me to take Liz home.

“I want to stay here.” She says in protest.

“I know you do but there isn’t anything you can do here. Let’s go home and get some rest ok?” She has to be exhausted, I know I am. She nods her head and I walk us out and ask the front desk to call us a taxi.

The ride is silent, not that I expected her to be chatty Cathy but we’ve always had good communication so it’s different. I try to put myself in her situation, not that it’s that hard but I know this is different.

I get to the Crash Down and help her up the stairs. She’s walking around like a robot and I want to say something but I’ve seem to have lost the power of speech. I see her walk to what I assume is her room and come out moments later dressed in a large t-shirt and shorts.

“I know that you don’t want to hear me say I’m sorry but I am. I know how you feel right now and I want you to know that I’m here for you.” She looks at me and smiles slightly. I can see in her eyes how much pain she’s in and wish she would let it out.

“It’s ok to cry. You may not think so but it helps.” It helped me. A few months after the funeral was when I first let out tears over Sarah and as much as I hate to admit it, it worked.

“I don’t think I can cry. I feel so numb.”

“You will for a while but when it hits you it’s going to hit you hard.” I want her to be prepared for it. For some reason I feel like I have to protect her, from what I don’t know though.

“Did it happen like that to you?” I nod not being able to say it out loud

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to pry.” She says quickly.

“No no it’s fine. I don’t mind talking about her.” She makes herself comfortable on her end of the couch and I lean back running my hands though my hair. I’m not frustrated, just tired.

“How long were you together?” She asks. I guess talking about me is helping her forget about her pain.

“We dated for two years before we got married. We were only married for a little over a year.” Sadly I didn’t have enough time with her.

“Wow that is such a short time.” I nod.

“It was but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. Sarah was great. She always had a smile on her face and was always able to make me smile.”

“Sounds like you had a great relationship. How were you able to-“She stops and I know she must feel strange asking me this.

“The truth is that I’m not completely over it yet. I’m getting better day by day but I still miss her. For a long time I was angry that she was taken from me but I’m starting to accept what happened. I won’t say that it’s easy because it’s not, it’s hard as hell but you will get better eventually. I couldn’t even say her name for almost a year, now it’s not so bad.” I remember going into a fit of rage whenever someone would mention her name in front of me.

“My dad and I were close when I was little. I guess you could say I was a daddy’s girl. When I went to college things changed. I just wish I tried harder to get that bad. I wish I was able to show him more often how much I loved him.”

“I’m sure he knew. Parents always know that kind of thing. You can’t live your life regretting all the things you didn’t say or do, I did that for so long and it drove me nuts. Just have faith that he knew how much you cared.” I laugh a little as I sit back and think about everything I’m saying. These were all the things that people told me when Sarah died and at that time I wanted to tell them to go to hell.

“What’s so funny?” She asks.

“Nothing. It’s just that when people were telling me these things I didn’t want to hear them. I thought they were crazy and here I am telling you the same things.” She smiles for the first time in almost twenty four hours.

“No one ever wants to take good advice at first. But thank you for talking about her and what you went through. I know it must be hard for you but you seem like your doing ok now.”

“I am.” I smile and want so badly to say thanks to you but I don’t. She has no idea how much she has helped me.

I run downstairs and get her some food which I have to pretty much force her to eat. I don’t want to leave her alone but I don’t want to assume that she wants me to stay. I watch her eat and wonder if she’s thought about the kiss we shared. I wonder if she felt an ounce of what I felt coursing though my body.

She catches me watching her and again neither of us looks away. I’m absolutely and unquestionably captivated by Liz Parker. The question is does she feel anything for me?

~*~*

The next morning I awake with the worst pain in my neck. I look around and realize that Liz and I fell asleep on the couch. While she was resting her head on the arm of the couch mine was thrown back in an awkward position. I check my watch and see that it’s still pretty early.

Quietly I walk downstairs and grab Liz and I some breakfast from the diner. I get back and gently wake her up.

“I brought you some food.” She freshens up in the bathroom and I realize that I’m in desperate need of a shower.

We sit in the kitchen and eat mostly in silence. I know all to well how it feels to wake up and realize that someone that you love is dead.

“Did my mother come home?” She asks playing with her food. I knew she wasn’t going to eat but I’m hoping she eats something.

“I think so; the door to the bedroom is closed.” She nods and eats with robot like movements.

“I should go in there. I’m sure there are things she needs help with. Thank you for staying with me.”

“Don’t thank me. I’m here for whatever you need.” I help her with the dishes.

“I appreciate that but I’m sure you have a life to get back to and your family must be waiting for you.” I should call my parents but I’m not about to leave her now. From the looks of it it’s just her and her mother here.

“I’ll give them a call but I’m not leaving.” It may have sounded harsher then I expected and by the look on her face I’m sure she thinks so too but I’m not leaving her. She nods and goes to her mother’s room.

I pull my cell phone out and call Isabel. Hopefully she’s in a good mood.

“Hey, how’s Liz?” I’m surprised that was the first thing she said.

“She’s ok. I’m sorry to leave like that.”

“Don’t worry about it. Mom is worried about you though.” I know why my mother is worried.

“I’m fine. It’s actually helping if that makes any sense.” She laughs.

“Well call us if you need anything. Alex made sure I stressed that.”

“Ok. Thanks Iz.”

“Anytime. Mom and dad will be home in a few days and I won’t see you until we are both back in New York so take care and don’t forget to call me.”

“I won’t. I’ll be home in a week or so. I have business in Los Angeles first.”

“Ok. I love you.”

“Love you too.” I hang up thankful that she surprised me and acted…nice. A few moments later Liz comes out and she looks as if she’s been crying.

“My mother and I are going to make all the arrangements. It’s not going to be anything big, mostly the staff at the crashdown and a few of my aunts and uncles that are flying in. If you want to go home or whatever you can.” I really want a shower badly but don’t want to leave her.

“I’m actually just going to take a shower and change here if that’s ok.” I remembered that I have my luggage from the trip to Alex’s.

“Ok.” She smiles and leads me to the bathroom.

~*~*~

We spend most of the day making the necessary arrangements although I wasn’t needed it felt nice being here for Liz. She’s trying to be strong but I catch her eyes welling up with tears every now and then. It’s only a matter of time before she completely breaks down.

The funeral is tomorrow and I’m starting to feel sadness over Sarah again. Liz’s mother is preparing dinner, she insisted after everything I’ve done according to her. Liz assured me that her mother actually prepares edible food.

“So Max what do you do?” We are seated at the kitchen table and I have to admit that the food does look good.

“I’m a corporate lawyer.” Her mother smiles and looks over at Liz.

“Liz could have been a lawyer if she wanted to. Did you know that she was valedictorian of her class?”

“Mom I’m sure Max doesn’t want to hear all about my high school years.” I laugh at the scene in front of me. Dinner in this house is much different then mine. While I always felt loved by my parents I wasn’t ever as close to them as I wanted to be. Looking at Liz and her mother I can tell that dinner in this house has always been like this.

After dinner I decide to take a walk and head for the park. I need time to think and take the chance when Liz decides to help her mother with the dishes.

The sun has just set and the stars are just starting to be come visible. This is one of my favorite times of the day. I find a swing and sit letting my feet drag back and forth as I swing.

Thoughts of the kiss invade my mind again and I’m starting to think I’m going crazy. Why is it that I’m thinking about her so much? I mean she’s just a girl right? I look down at my wedding band and wonder what Liz thinks about the fact that I’m still wearing it. Then I wonder why I care what she thinks.

I’m insane.

“Hey. Thought you ran off on me or something.” I look up and see Liz standing next to me.

I laugh. “No, just sitting here thinking.” She sits on the swing next to mine.

“Wanna share?” My first thought is to say no but for some reason I don’t

“Just thinking about Sarah and how she would have loved the sky tonight.” I see her look down and think that maybe I’m talking about Sarah too much.

“She was such a lucky girl. It shows how much you loved her. I just wish I cold have that.” The way she says it sounds like she’s had a tough time with past relationships.

“I told you once that you would. I still believe that.” She looks up at me but doesn’t smile. It feels as if she’s looking through me.

“I really wish I could believe that.” She whispers then walks away. I want to run after her but something stops me. I sit for a while then head back to the house.

When I walk in I see Liz sitting on the couch flipping through the channels.

“Is your mom gone?” I ask when I notice how quiet the house is.

“No, she’s in her room.” I nod and sit next to her.

“How are you feeling about everything?” the funeral is the day after tomorrow.

“I still feel numb, like it didn’t really happen. Like he’s going to come walking in the door any minute.” Her tears roll down her cheek and I want so badly to kiss her right now.

What is wrong with me?

She’s crying her eyes out over her father’s death and all I can think about is kissing her again.

“In time that will pass. Just take it one day at a time and whatever you are feeling just go with it.” I’m waiting for her to go through the different stages like I did. I haven’t seen any anger from her yet and hope that she doesn’t get like I did.

“Thank you. I know I keep saying it but I really mean it. I don’t know what I would do if you weren’t here to help like you are. It really means a lot to me.” I reach over and wipe the tears from her eyes.

We get into a staring match again and I feel myself being pulled towards her again. It’s like something or someone is willing me to go to her. A small part of my mind is telling me to pull away but I ignore it.

“I don’t want to hurt you.” I whisper, inches from her face.

“You won’t.” She says with such confidence that it makes me smile. I can smell her strawberry lip gloss as I inch closer and closer to her. I swear I can feel my lips tingling in anticipation.

Hopefully I can deliver again.

Our lips crash into each other and I’m in heaven again. Her arms wrap around my neck pulling me towards her. My tongue explores every inch of her mouth dueling with hers in a battle neither of us will win but are happy to fight.

My mind screams Liz Liz Liz over and over as my body wants her more and more and then it happens. The last thing you ever want to happen when your in a heated kiss like we are.

The smallest of smallest voices says her name. It’s barely a whisper in my heart but it’s there nonetheless.

Sarah.

And the kiss ends.

This is not good.
My Fics
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Sorry it took so long. I had a hard time ending this chapter and I’m still not happy with it but it is what it is right? Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and as always thank you for all the FB!!

~*~*Chapter 9~*~*

I feel awkward now and it’s my fault. My mind and heart aren’t on the same page. Why am I feeling this confusion now? Liz is everything a man could want. Maybe I wasn’t ready to move forward; maybe I’m pushing myself into something I’m not prepared for.

Maybe.

I look over at her sleeping form and smile; she looks so peaceful right now. I don’t want to hurt her, maybe I should let her go, maybe it’s best that I leave.

I move to the other couch and try to make myself comfortable. I’m leaving for Los Angeles the day after the funeral. Maybe I need to get away before I do any damage to her.

The next morning I awake to the sound of clattering pots and pans. Liz is in the kitchen helping her mother with what I assume is breakfast. I open my eyes and smile as I watch her and her mother work around each other in the kitchen. Even though today is going to be one of the saddest days in their lives they seem happy right now.

“Good morning.” Liz says when she catches me watching them.

“Morning.” I clear my throat and stand up massaging the kink out of my neck.

“Breakfast is almost ready. We didn’t know what you liked so I made a bunch of stuff.”

“Thanks.” I brush my teeth and join them in the kitchen. I laugh as I look at all the food that’s on the table. She even made egg white omelets.

After breakfast I decide to go home and properly get changed. I didn’t have a suit in my luggage. I half expected to walk into an empty house but much to my surprise my parents were home.

“Max your home!” My mother greets me as if I’ve just come home from war or something.

“Hey mom.” My father says hello and goes back to his breakfast.

“Come eat something.”

“I just had breakfast mom. I actually just came home to shower and grab a suit.” I can see the disappointment in her face and know that it isn’t about the food. She wants to talk…about Liz.

“Oh. Well how is Liz doing?” She asks me.

“She’s doing ok. As well as can be expected I guess.”

“Well send her our love honey.” She goes back to the kitchen. Hopefully she’s not cooking anything for me.

“She’s been really worried about you. She thought you were going to go crazy or something.” My father says as soon as she walks out of the room.

“I figured. I’m fine though. I think helping her is helping me in a way.” My father smiles at me and I look at him strange.

“What?” I ask when he still has a grin on his face.

“You’ve changed since you’ve been here. I’m betting it has something to do with Liz.”

“I don’t know dad. I mean she’s a great girl and I like her but I’m still thinking about Sarah.”

“I’ve never been in your situation so the only advice I can give you is to follow your heart. You have to figure out what you want and go for it. Maybe you’re not ready to move on but you have to decide that. If you’re still thinking about Sarah then you need to think about why that’s happening. Only you can decide when your ready to move on. Just be honest with yourself.” My father has always been a quiet man but has always given me good advice.

“Thanks dad.” I go upstairs and get ready for the funeral.

When I get to the house Liz’s mother tells me that Liz is still getting ready. She comes out a few moments later and I’m ashamed to say that even though she’s going to a funeral she looks breathtaking.

“Are you ready?” I ask her. She nods slowly and grabs her purse. The funeral is being held at a local church that is within walking distance. No words are spoken as we walk there and I’m afraid of saying anything. Maybe she’s thinking about her father.

“Would you sit with me?” She asks when we get to the church. I feel a little odd sitting in the front row but I don’t want to leave her alone either.

“Of course.” I sit between her and her aunt. The minute the casket is brought in I feel her start to shake. Tears are streaming down her face like an open faucet now and I reach over to wipe them away.

“It’s ok. Just let it out.” I whisper in her ear. The priest starts speaking and she starts sobbing quietly.

“I have to get out of here.” She says and stands up. I follow closely behind her until we get outside.

“It’s ok. Just breathe.” I sit her down on a nearby bench and pull her into my arms. Her tears soak through my shirt as she cries for the loss of her father. I sit and think back to Sarah’s funeral and wonder if people though it was strange that I didn’t cry.

“I just - I can’t believe he’s – gone.”

“I know.” I have nothing else to say. We sit in silence for a while until everyone starts coming out of the church. Since he’s going to be cremated we walk over to the Crashdown where the employees have everything set up.

I sit with Liz in one of the booths for most of the night until she falls asleep in my arms.

“Liz, I’m going to take you upstairs.” I gently wake her up but she doesn’t want to go to bed yet.

“Can we go for a walk?” She asks. I nod my head and we head to the nearby park and each sit on a swing.

“What time are you leaving tomorrow?”

“My flight leaves at two.” She nods and looks down at the ground.

“I know I’ve said this before but thank you for everything. I’m sure it must have been hard for you and I appreciate you being here for me.” I turn around and face her.

“It was my pleasure. I just hope your going to be ok.” She smiles at me and I can’t help but smile back. Even with tear stained cheeks and bloodshot eyes she is beautiful.

“I will be.” She looks up at me and my lips burn to kiss her again but I know it’s not right. “What are you thinking?”

“Nothing.” I answer a bit too quickly; I don’t want her knowing that I was thinking about kissing her when she is so vulnerable.

“Come on, tell me.” She pushes my chest a little. It is nice to see her joking and being playful.

“It’s nothing. Really.” I laugh. I can’t seem to bring myself to talk about it.

“Ok well since you won’t bring it up I will.” I look up at her wondering if she could be thinking the same thing. “I’m sure you thinking about the kiss aren’t you?” Yup she was thinking the same thing.

“Maybe.” I tease.

“Well I thought it was nice.” My head snaps up and I am sure my eyes are wider than golf balls.

“You did?” she nods her head. “I did too.” There is some comfort in knowing that I didn’t totally screw that moment up.

“I want you to know that I’m not expecting anything from you. I know you have some things to work through.” She gets me, I know I didn’t want to admit that, but she does. Liz has known me less than a week and she gets it, more than most people ever will.

“I don’t want you to think I was using you. Your right, I do have some things to work through and I hope I didn’t hurt you in any way.” She smiles.

“I’m a big girl Max; I knew what I was getting into.” Her smile is still there and that in itself gives me some comfort.

“Noted. I want to stay in touch with you, if that’s alright.” I wait for her answer hoping I didn’t speak too soon.

“I’d love that.” I think I just let a breath out that I didn’t know I was holding.

“Ok well here is all my information, my cell, home and office number.” I hand her a business card but write my home number on it also. She smiles as she takes it from my hand and looks at it.
“Shall we?” I ask. It is starting to get chilly and neither one of us has a jacket. We walk in silence her arm strung through mine. We get back to the house and she hands me her business card. I look at it, smile and then put it in my pocket.

“I’ll talk to you soon Liz parker.” I lean in a kiss her forehead gently.

“I can’t wait.” She says before kissing my lips softly. I smile at her and watch as she shuts the door behind me. I start to walk home and my hand instantly goes to my pocket. I keep my hand over it as I walk home and prepare to leave; I think I am actually going to miss this hell hole.

~*~*~*~*

The flight to Los Angeles was bittersweet. I was sad to be leaving Roswell, something I never thought would happen. I never thought I’d miss someone that I just met but I do. I’ve wanted to call her a hundred times since I landed but chicken out at the last minute.

My meeting went well and I’m turning in early tonight, I go back home tomorrow morning and I can’t wait to be home.

As I get out of the shower I hear my cell phone ringing and rush to answer it.

“Hello?” I half expected it to be Liz.

“Hey, how are you?” It’s Isabel.

“I’m alright. Just tired.”

“How did everything go? With Liz I mean.” I wrap the towel around my waist and sit on the edge of the bed.

“Alright I guess. She’s doing ok.”

“That’s good.” I wonder why she even cares but don’t bother asking.

“So how are you? How was the rest of the visit at Alex’s?”

“It went ok. Dad behaved himself but mom was worried about you, that’s why they left early.”

“I’m sorry about that. I hope I didn’t ruin anything.”

“Max don’t be crazy. It couldn’t be helped. Don’t worry about it.” I smile. Alex must have some affect on Isabel. The old Isabel wouldn’t have cared about the details. No one ruins her day.

“I’ll be home tomorrow. Let’s meet for dinner when you’re in town.”

“Ok I’ll give you a call.” I hang up and get ready for bed.

There is nothing like New York. I’ve been to many places and nothing compares to New York City, I don’t’ care what anyone says. It’s good to be home.

Isabel has called me ten times confirming our dinner date for tonight. I’ve thought about calling Liz a thousand times but can’t bring myself to call her for some reason. I feel as if what we had will only exist in Roswell. I’m scared to call her and find out that our communication is gone now that we are back to our real lives.

As I get ready for work I smile thinking back to the week I spend in Roswell. I was dreading my visit but it actually turned out great. I hail a cab and head to the office.

“Good morning Mr. Evans. It’s nice to have you back” I swear I must have heard that a thousand times today. I smile politely and nod as I make my way to my office.

“Good morning sir. Here are your messages and you have two cases on your desk that need to be reviewed.” I grab my messages and cup of tea before closing the door to my office.

Peace at last.

“It’s nice to see that Aliens didn’t abduct you.” I look up and smile when I see Tess Harding in my office.

“Nope. I’m still here.”

“And looking as handsome as ever might I add.” Ok before this goes further I should explain about Tess. She’s a junior partner at the firm and has been working here for about three years. She’s a petite spitfire with blonde hair and the most intense blue eyes you’ve ever seen and some men might call her a knock out and she is, there’s just one small problem… she swings the other way if you know what I mean.

“Thanks, you always know how to make me feel better about myself.”

“Whatever. So how was it? Did you want to kill yourself?” She’s also blunt as hell too.

“No. Not really. It wasn’t that bad.” I smile as I think about Liz.

“Something’s up. You look surprisingly happy considering you just came back from a visit with your parents and the Ice princess.” She rolls her eyes. I guess I forgot to mention that Tess and Isabel don’t exactly get along. Something about Isabel being an icy cold hearted bitch according to Tess.

“Nothing’s up. I had a nice time that’s all.” I pretend to read over some papers in an effort to avoid eye contact.

“Your meeting me for lunch so you better have a story for me by then or else you’re going to have to tell me the truth.” She blows me a kiss and walks to the door. “Oh I forgot to mention, there’s a new girl who thinks you’re just so fascinating.” She flips her hair and does this annoying laugh.” She’s been asking about you so watch out.”

“Oh God. Thanks for the heads up.” She laughs and walks out closing the door behind her.

I’m engrossed with work when I realize that it’s almost time to meet Tess. We have lunch once at week at the same restaurant, same time when I’m in town.

I’m finishing off an e-mail when I hear a knock on my door.

“Come in.” I say thinking it must be my secretary with some last minute work.

“Mr. Evans my name is Raquel; I just started here a few days ago and have been dying to meet you.” Tess was pretty accurate in her reenactment of her earlier.

“Really? Well now you have. Was it all that you expected?” The look on her face is priceless. I love messing with people.

“I’ve read so much about you and would really like to get to know you better.” She can not be serious. Can she?

“Who are you working under?” I ask gathering my things.

“Mr. Anderson.”

“Well, you’re working with the best. No one is better then Anderson. You should be lucky to have him as a mentor.”

“Well – I – “

“I’m afraid I have a lunch meeting that I can’t miss. Good luck to you Rachel.”

“It’s Raquel.” She calls out after I’ve walked out of my office.

~~
When I get to the restaurant Tess is already seated and half way through a plate of calamari.

“Thanks for waiting.” I say and order myself an appetizer.

“You know I wait for no one when it comes to food.” She’s right so I laugh.

“So Maxwell are you going to tell me what happened in alien town or am I going to have to beat it out of you?”

“Nothing happened.” She rolls her eyes.

“You were with your parents and the ice princess for a week and you come back normal and you’re going to convince me that nothing happened. Try again.”

“Ok well I sort of met someone but it’s not a big deal.” I try to brush it off as if it’s nothing but Tess is like a shark. She can smell bullshit miles away.

“Max who was on his way to becoming a monk met someone? As in actually spoke to a woman? You must tell me every detail, leave nothing out.” Our food arrives and I wait a few before starting to speak thankful for the distraction.

“Her name is Liz and we actually met on the plane ride over. She’s really down to earth and easy to talk to.”

“And where does this Liz live?” I hold back my laughter as I watch her shove food into her mouth. The girl can eat.

“She lives in Jersey.’

“Oh God Max have I taught you nothing? Jersey?”

“What? Don’t be such a snob you sound like Isabel.” That gets me the death glare.

“Whatever. Anyway when was the last time you talked to her?”

“Not since I left?” She gives the what the hell look. “What? I’ve been busy.” I try to defend myself but it’s useless.

“You haven’t been busy, you’re avoiding calling her. What’s the problem?” She knows me too well.

“Sarah.” She takes in a deep breath and I’m scared.

“I didn’t know her for very long but there is on thing that I’m absolutely sure about. Sarah was a kind person; she wouldn’t want to see you this way Max. You can still honor her memory and move on. Stop worrying about what she might think. You knew her better then anyone you know how she’d feel.” I smile.

“Your right.”

“I know. Now stop being a chicken shit and call her already.” I have to laugh. Only Tess would end the conversation that way. Now all I need to do is get off my ass and call her.

Easier said then done.
My Fics
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Thank you guys for the FB. I’m posting this from work so it’s a fly by posting. I hope you like this next part.

~*~*Chapter 10~*~*

I’ve been avoiding Tess like the plague. I know she’s going to ask me if I’ve called Liz and I don’t feel like getting yelled at. Luckily I’m going out of town tomorrow, I just need to get through today and I’ll be free.

“Mr. Evans your sister is on her way up.” I quickly look at my calendar wondering if I was supposed to meet her somewhere and forgot.

“Hey. What are you doing here?” I give her a hug and ask.

“I can’t stop by and see you?” She takes a seat and makes herself comfortable.

“Of course you can but I just saw you the other day for dinner.” I’m wondering if there is a reason she’s here or if she really did just come by to say hello.

“So? I was doing some shopping for a client nearby and came to say hello.” She takes her jacket off. “So hello.” I laugh.

“This isn’t the best time Iz. I have to go out of town tomorrow and I still have to prepare.” I point to the stack of papers on my desk.

“Oh. Ok then. Call me when you get back. I should still be in town.”

“I will.” I stand up and walk her out. As soon as I open the door I see Tess heading our way. Tess plus Isabel equals trouble.

“Ugh. She still works here?” Isabel says when she spots her.

“Yes. Just be nice ok?” Isabel rolls her eyes and keeps walking.

“Max, I need to talk to you before you leave.” Tess doesn’t acknowledge Isabel at all.

“Ok let me see Isabel out and I’ll be right back.”

“Oh hi Isabel, I didn’t see you. You’re looking very…lower east side today.” I cringe when she says it.

“Why thank you. Your orange skin tone is so in right now too.” They stare each other down before Isabel starts to walk away first.

“I don’t’ like her.”

“I noticed.” I hail her a cab and head back to my office.

“I hate her.” Tess says as soon as I walk into my office.

“Yeah, I noticed that.” I take a seat and start sorting through some papers.

“You’ve been avoiding me.” I’m busted.

“I haven’t. I’ve been prepping for this case that’s all.” It’s mostly true.

“Yeah, I’m sure you have. Anyway, have you called her yet?”

“Huh?” I play stupid.

“Huh?” She mocks me. “Don’t play stupid with me.”

“I’ll call her when I get back.”

“I don’t think so. You’re calling her right now.”

“What? I can’t call her now. No Tess.” She picks up my phone and hands it to me.

“If you can give me one good reason I’ll let you wait until you get back. A good one!” I try to think of one but I know her and I know that nothing will satisfy her.

“I just can’t ok?”

“You lose. Get the number out, your calling her.” I realize that I have no choice and dig her card out of my wallet. Who the hell am I kidding; I know her number by heart.

“This isn’t right. Technically I’m your boss.”

“Yeah yeah yeah. Just dial.” I laugh and dial her number. A part of me hopes she doesn’t answer.

“Hello.” Damn it, she picked up on the second ring.

“Hey Liz, its Max.” God could I sound more like a high school dork?

“Hey. How are you?” she sounds like she’s outside somewhere.

“I’m doing good. How are you?” I look up and see Tess giving me the “L” sign meaning lame.

“I’m doing ok. I’m actually meeting a client not too far from your office.”

“Oh so your back home?” I hope that didn’t sound too eager.

“Yeah I got back two days ago. My aunt stayed with my mom, she insisted I get back to work.” I see Tess scribbling something on a post it note and wonder what the hell she’s doing.

“Well I’m glad everything is ok. You sound great.” Ok I should get loser tattooed on my forehead for that statement. Tess slips me the post it and I shake my head no as soon as I read it.

“Do it.” She whispers.

“So I was um wondering if you’d like to have lunch.” I stop there but Tess throws a pencil at me. “This afternoon.” I finish the sentence to her satisfaction.

“Well I’m not sure how long my meeting is going to be. If you don’t mind waiting then I’d love to.” I can’t help the smile that forms on my lips.

“Ok well just give me a call when you get done then.” She agrees and hangs up.

“Jesus, do I have to do everything for you? Do I need to come with you to lunch to make sure you talk to the girl?”

“No. Why are you pushing this anyway?” I’m starting to get a little annoyed.

“Because for the first time in years I saw you happy Max. I know it has to do with Liz so I’m going to do everything I can to make sure you stay that happy.” I’m starting to see her in a new light. She is a true friend.

“Thanks.” I have nothing else to say, she’s left me speechless.

“Yeah yeah. So anyway that great conversation you were telling me you two had, make sure it’s still there when you go to lunch ok?” I laugh.

“Ok.”

“Love ya, mean it, bye.” I shake my head as I watch her walk out of my office.

For the next two hours I’m engrossed in work. My cell phone rings startling me.

“This is Max.”

“Hey, you still hungry?” I smile when I hear her voice.

“Starving.” I tell her to meet me at my office and head to the bathroom to fix my tie.

“I’m expecting someone by the name of Liz Parker; send her up when she gets here please.” I buzz my assistant.

A few minutes later there is a soft knock on the door.

“Come in.” My stomach does back flips in anticipation of seeing her again.

“Hi Mr. Evans.” That is not Liz.

“Yes? What can I do for you?” I’m slightly annoyed by her presence.

“I was just coming to offer my services.” I look up and see Liz standing by the door just as Raquel said that. Nice.

“Thank you but your services won’t be needed for this trip. I’m all set.”

“Oh. Well….ok then. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask. I’m available anytime.” I look past her towards Liz and see her trying to hold back a laugh.

“That’s good to know.” She turns to walk out when she notices Liz.

“Oh hi, I didn’t see you there.”

“Max honey I’m so sorry I’m late. Will you forgive me darling?” I look at her puzzled for a moment then catch on to her game.

“You know I always do.” I embrace her and kiss her softly on the lips. For Raquel’s sake of course.

Yeah right.

“Well, I’ll be going then.” She says and walks out. As soon as the door closes Liz and I burst out laughing.

“Thanks.”

“Your welcome but that’s twice I’ve saved your ass. You owe me.” I laugh and grab my jacket.

“I’m going to take you to the bet lunch you’ve ever had.”

“I’m holding you to that. And for the record I don’t eat just lettuce like you.”

“Ha ha. You’re so funny.” I wrap an arm around her. “Let’s go.”

“So who was that potential stalker?”

“A new hire. She’s harmless - I think.”

“Well that’s good.” I look at her and realize that I missed her more then I thought I did.

“Where are we going?” She asks. I can’t tear my eyes away from her. I don’t’ know how she did it but she’s managed to look more beautiful then the last time I saw her.

“It’s a surprise.”

“I saw your mother before I left Roswell.”

“You did?” I’m surprised my mother didn’t tell me.

“She came to the crashdown to bring us some food believe it or not.” She laughs but that sounds exactly like something my mother would do.

“Yeah that sounds like her.”

“Then she told me to make sure I keep in touch with you.”

“That’s her for sure.” We both laugh. The cab stops in front of the restaurant and we both get out.

“Looks can be deceiving.” I whisper in her ear as we walk down the stairs.

“I trust you.” Those words bring me back to a time when someone else said that.

“Maxeo! Come in, it’s so good to see you!” I’m snapped out of my thoughts when Marco greets us. He’s a tall olive skinned man with a dark moustache and a thick Italian accent.

“How have you been Marco?” I used to come here all the time but stopped when…

“Oh you know. Same ole same ole.” He shrugs. “Enough about me. Who is the exquisite creature you have here?” He kisses Liz’s hand.

“This is Liz Parker. Liz this is Marco, he owns this place.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” She says blushing at the attention no doubt.

“The pleasure is all mine.” He says. “Come I show you to your table.” We follow him to a table near the window.

“Mamma will be out shortly. She been asking about you.” I smile and nod.

“This place looks nothing like you would think from the outside.” She says once he’s gone.

“I know. I found this place years ago and have been coming here since before you needed to make reservations months in advance.” She looks around and no doubt the place is full.

“So you’re pretty important then huh?”

“Shut up.” She laughs.

“Maxeo where you been huh? I no see you in so long.” Marco’s mother a short but plump woman comes out.

“I’m sorry, I’ve been busy with work.” I stand up and give her a hug.

“You too skinny. I make you something special.” Liz has a smile on her face as she watches the interaction.

“Thank you.”

“Now tell me who is this beauty here?” She asks pointing to Liz.

“This is Liz Parker.” Liz stands up to say hello. She grabs Liz’s hands and looks straight into her eyes.

“You are just what he need.” She whispers shocking the hell out of both of us. We stand there speechless. “Now, I bring you some food and bread.” She says as if nothing just happened.

“She’s great.” I say trying to break the silence.

“She is. She reminds me of my grandmother.” I ask her about her family and soon we start sharing stories of our childhoods.

“Here you are sir, madam.” A waiter brings us two plates of food.

“Did you used to be really fat or something?” Liz asks.

“No. Why?”

“Because I’m wondering what would make her think anyone could eat all this food.” I laugh as I look down at the mound of spaghetti on the plate not to mention the chicken, salad and bread.

“Well try to eat as much as you can. She gets insulted if you don’t eat a lot.” We dig into our food and eat until we are about to burst.

“Ugh. That was the best meal but I ate way too much. I’m not eating for the next six months at least.” We sit in the back of the cab Liz resting her head on my chest.

“You’ll be alright in a few hours. It was good wasn’t it?” She nods her head yes.

“You delivered Mr. Evans.”

“I always do.” I kiss the top of her head and close my eyes for a moment. Right now, this second in time everything is perfect.
My Fics