Don't give up on Love M/L Adult - AN 5/2/08 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

martine
Addicted Roswellian

Don't give up on Love M/L Adult - AN 5/2/08 [WIP]

Post by martine »

Title : Don't give up on love!
Category : M/L who else?
Rating : Adult WA
Disclaimer : I don't own anything, unfortunately, I'm just borrowing the names of the characters.

Summary : They met for a hot dance and several murders have just reunited them again.
Max stood beside Liz as she was crying. She was there, shocked, and Max couldn't help to be moved by her amazing beauty.
How could he believe that she might have killed 3 of her clients during the last days? Guilty that gorgeous and sensual woman he held so intimately in his arms for that incredible dance? Maybe. He was a cop, he couldn't let a suspect go if he was not convinced of his innocence.
However, he'd better consider her like a part of his investigation instead of a woman who had turned him on since he met her that night.
And yet, Max had sworn to himself that he wouldn't fall for any other woman since his wife and daughters's death. That day, he renounced to love....but Liz Parker was a living and amazing provocation for him...
Will Max have the strength to fight the attraction that dragged him toward that temptress....

A/Note : As "the Joker" is coming to the end, I'd like to give this one to read. Hope you won't think "geez, she should stop writing!!!" Anyway, I'd like to tell that I read some of your fics where Max is a cop, I decided to give a try too.
I don't know if you'll like it, I don't know if you'll read it...let's see what will happen and if you like it or not, please, just leave a fb.

Prologue

Leaning against the counter, Max Evans looked at the gorgeous brunette that was passing between the guests, light like a ballet dancer. If it was not a posh wedding, Max would suppose that she was a kind of pickpocket, and as every good cop, he would have shadowed her. Of course that couldn't be, there were only wealthy people attending that wedding tonight. Anyway, he was not here to play the policeman, he was just a guest tonight.

However, the beautiful brunette was the groom's sister. He got this information from her partner, Maria Deluca _ Maria Parker since almost one hour _ who always described her future sister-in-law as a sex bomb. The fact is that Liz Parker was explosive!!

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT.........

I know it's very short, but before I continue, I'd like to know if you like it, if not I have no reason to annoy you!!!
Last edited by martine on Fri May 02, 2008 10:35 am, edited 20 times in total.
the way he looks into her eyes.....
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hey guys, I'm making a little break in that RL which is eating me and I decided to update that fic first. I'm glad that you liked the prologue even if it was very short. I came here with a new part which explains a little the plot. I hope you'll like it too.
I'd like to thank you for coming here and reading that first.
dreamer19- thank you, I hope I'll keep it. your attention! :wink:
Erina : thank you
cassie : thank you too
begonia9508 : thank you and yes Max's job has a great part in his life.
L-J-L 76 : thank you Lizza. and I think that you'll be glad if you still stick there
Sweet Liz : thank you. hope you'll like this one too.

I thought that I'd have time to update my fics last week but I failed. I don't make any promise but I'll do my best. of course this message is for the people who are still interested to know.

Chapter 1

The hall was illuminated and the champagne was flowing in the glasses. A pianist caressed the keys of a Steinway filling the air with languid melodies and some coulples were dancing. In a corner some people were talking friendly, but Max couldn't take his eyes off the little brunette who was sliding a card in a guest's pocket.
She was breathtaking! Smiling, she was moving between the Roswell high society guests comfortably.
She joked with the mayor, didn't hesitate to take Mr Whitmann's chin or to caress the D.A Jim Valenti's lapel sensualy ignoring the looks some men lusted after her, beginning with his.
Max couldn't help but stare at her. Beside a body to damn a saint, Liz Parker's face was like sculpted for a medal. High cheekbones, straight nose, silky brown hair she was wearing in a heavy bun low on her nape. She broke the toughness of the bun letting some strands flowing innocently around her pretty face, she looked like a queen with her aristocratic nape. *What a living fantasy like her could do in her life?* Max wondered.
Irritated by that temptress, Max turned round to drink his glass of soda. *I should have ordered a whisky!* he thought tightening the glass in his hand. But after he had abused of alcohol, cigarettes and women, he had decided to cross them out of his list, most of all the women.
He closed his eyes. He thought that he got rid of his nightmare....but failed! And yet, he didn't wake up in the middle of the night, sweaty and terrorised by the images he had from his wife and his little girls, since weeks. He made inhuman efforts to tempt to bury his demons within his unconscious...it seems that he lost this battle. The nightmare appeared once again and with it, all the memories he tried to forget.

He had lost everything and was completely unable to lock his pain within his heart. After one year and half of grieving and wandering nowhere in a sort of fog, he ended to wake up, abruptly, the day he had been accused of one of his mistress's murder. Then, he fought like a lion to prove his innocence and of course real life won over his pain.
Now, since he had to live, despite everything, he threw himself in work, the last thing that left, and accepted that life, his life. And he didn't spare his energy, his rest and his sleep, working, on the contrary, he spent hours killing himself to clear up the crimes.
That was his way to forget, working like a log to end exhausted and get some sleep without nightmare. There was no time left to think, to regret, to want all that he had and wouldn't have anymore.
He drank a sip of soda and smirked for the bitterness of the tonic. Once again, he looked around the hall, hoping to see Miss Parker's figure, but disappointed he noticed that she disappeared.
Good thing finally. The weddings were not for him and he prefered to leave that place where people were too happy for him.
He heard people laughing behind him and turning around he saw Michael Parker leaning toward his wife to kiss her. He was glowing with happiness and beside him, beautiful in her white gown, Maria was glowing too.

Max frowned. He had been happy once. He had a wonderful wife and his couple was solid and harmonious but that was over. He lost everything when Ava died with their two beautiful little girls.
That's the reason why he was escaping the weddings. They reminded him of the life he had before....
Tonight, he had no choice. He had to be there or Maria would have ripped his head off. Actually, he loved Maria like his little sister and he forced himself to come to share her happiness. But now that he proved his love by his presence, he had the right to escape.
He turned around toward the counter and finished his soda. Maybe, the night will be kind for him and the nightmares won't come to torture him.

As he stood up to leave, he hit a rustling of a white gown "Want to dance Baby?"
He looked up surprised "I thought that the bride couldn't leave her husband's side on her wedding's day!"
"Maybe...But she has to dance with her partner too. That's very important for her future happiness."
"Thanks Maria. I'm not used to attend that kind of event anymore. I was near to leave."
"NOOOO! You'll leave later." she said pulling him on the dance floor. "You won't make me feel bad refusing to dance with me on my wedding's day! They say that it's not good!!!"
"For who?"
"The one who refuses." she said bursting into laughing.
How happy she was and how sad he felt.

"I'm sorry Max. I know that you're thinking about Ava and your little girls..... and that you miss them." Maria said sadly.
As always she guessed what he was thinking about. They were so used to work together than they learnt to know each other and became close friends. They talked a lot about each other lives, they shared joy and pain. His hell began 2 years ago when a plane exploded above Mexico gulf. His wife and his children were among the passengers who died.
"Yeah, I miss them." he stammered.
But as he refused to sadden Maria's happiness on her wedding's day, he changed the subject "Whilst you'll be on that wonderful cruise toward some paradises, I'll be there trying to end the Harding's case. That asshole doesn't know what it's going to fall on his head soon."
"I doubt that you could achieve that without my help, partner!"
"So you don't trust me! Ok, I have an idea, we're going to change our places. You stay here to catch that asshole and I'm going on that cruise."

Maria faked to contemplate the idea and shook her head "I don't think that my husband will agree..."
"Agree with what?" Michael asked cutting her off. He was dancing beside them with the fabulous Liz.
"To take Max to the cruise since I'm working here on that case." Maria said with a mischievous grin on her pretty face.
"You've no idea how much I'll be happy to take him there! Believe me!" he said sarcasticly.
"For sure" Liz mumbled staring at Max.
Max stared back and he got caught by that mermaid's amazing doe eyes and couldn't stop scrutinizing her. He was under her spell.
"I don't know what's going on here, but I came on time. If you allow me Max, I'd like to dance with my wife before she changes her mind and forget about me." Michael said leading a glowing and smiling Maria on the dance floor and leaving his sister and Max alone and embarrassed.

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT..................................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

Hey, here I am with a new chapter. I hope you'll like it.
dreamer19 : thank you for the fb and yes that would be more than hilarious. I hope you'll like this part even if it's not too funny.
begonia9508 : see, another update. hope you'll like it. I hope that you'll find more about his life even if he didn't tell a lot about his family. thank you Eve.
L-J-L 76 : Whaou Lizza, no questions(lol) thank you for the support. You'll tell me if you liked that part too. thank you.

I'D LIKE TO TELL YOU THAT I'VE UPDATED "NOT GUILTY" AND THERE IS ONLY "THAT UNFORGETTABLE GIRL" LEFT. HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE, IF YOU WANT IT......................................

Chapter 2

Surprised, Liz looked at her brother then turned around toward Max. *Well, that captain is not my type* she thought as her partner took her hand.
But she had to admit that this tall and dark haired man had everything to attract women's looks. He was good looking and virile enough to be the center of all the women's attention tonight.
Besides, as all those women here, Liz didn't miss to notice him. Standing against the counter, alone, a glass in his hand, feline, disturbing, he inspired the danger to her and that didn't incite her to come closer.
Yet.... She found him interesting, even intriguing, definitely because of his eyes. Oh those eyes!! Pure and warm amber! She didn't want to fall for those magic eyes. Once, she succumbed to another look and that had been a disaster. She had no envy to suffer again.

"Humm... Hi, I'm Liz Parker. The groom's sister." she said since he led her to the dance floor.
"Max Evans."
"Maria's partner?"
"Exactly."

Pliable in his arms, Liz let him lead. The music was sweet and melodious around them, couples seemed to enjoy their time. Why did she feel so tense? Dancing was just a formality that will be over in a few minutes. But he was holding her so tightly!..... She could swear that he didn't realize it....She tried to talk a little.

"I heard a lot about you"
"And despite that you're dancing with me." he said ironically, locking his eyes with hers.
When she had observing him from far she found him attractive and good looking. Now that he was near, he had a devastating charm, as bewitching than his aftershave.
"I dance with you because I love to dance, that's all."

She knew that the softness of the lights and the music were supposed to appease, but it seemed that they had the opposite effect on her.
"Brandon always says that dance has multiple vertus" she said hesitantly.
Max frowned "Maybe."
Liz sighed. Her partner could be a marvelous dancer, he didn't like to talk. But she could talk for two!!!
"Maria likes you a lot."
"I pay her for my promotion." he said sarcasticly.
Throwing her head behind, Liz tried to see his face better. He was not joking. "Let's talk seriously. If you didn't pay Maria to promote your image, what could she tell me about you?"
"What a question! To keep your distances, obviously!."

Suffocated by the answer, Liz felt a pang in her stomach and her pulse raced. Why did she react this way toward this man? She was not naive since long and he was not the first man she danced with. Yet, the warmth of this hand through the soft silk of her dress was intense.
"And why your partner would tell me that?" she asked again.
"A long story. Too long to tell."

Without thinking, Liz pressed his shoulder. Beyond his muscles, she felt something else. Tense. Stress. Max Evans was completely tight.
"Are you on duty, Captain Evans?"
"No. Why?"
"You're so tensed that we can think that you are. Look at this shoulder. That's a rock. Don't you never let go? I bet that you're unable to relax."
Without realizing what she was doing, Liz began to rub his shoulder. "I know the men like you. I married several police officers."
"Married?"
"Yeah. That's my job. I run a matrimonial agency and I can tell that I'm the best to marry people together. I'm proud to have a sort of 6th sense to find out when two people are meant to be together."

That's it. The hardest is done. Now that she talked about her business, Liz had just to slide her card in his pocket. "Here is my card."
Max took it in between his fingers to read it. "Are there really people who pay you to find their soulmate?"
"Of course!" and she casually looked at his fingers. No wedding ring.
"Tell me Max, you're single, right?"
"Me?" He hesitated to tell. "Yes."
"Would you like to know who our agence works?"
"No."

He gave her the card back and put his hand on her back, on her bare skin in fact. Feeling his fingers pressing her skin, Liz stiffened.
"Are you ok?" he asked when he saw her turmoil.
"Completely."

*Liar!* she thought. Actually, she couldn't breathe.... as if once was not enough, the same story is repeating, except that this time that was not Jason but Max.
Jason! G-d she loved him so much! Max Evans looked like him a lot unfortunately. Same look, same charm, same magnetism. NO she didn't want to fall again.... and yet, that was so good... that warm hand against her skin.....Exciting......She loved those hands on her body, those hands which would be able to make her.....STOP!!!

After her painful experience with Jason, she had sworn that she wouldn't cave into those emotions again, she suffered too much... But she had to will herself to control her body since she was in Max Evans's arms. That man was a living temptation and she would have been stronger if he was married.
Since that was not the case, and she didn't want to have an affair, she was going to present him to another woman. "I see one of my clients who will fit perfectly with you." she insisted sliding her card in his pocket. "She's a doctor, she's smart and gorgeous. If you want to meet her, I'll do it with plea...."
Without letting her finish her sentence, Max grabbed her fist and tightened his grip.
"I have to repeat that I'm not interested. That's NO. And I won't change my mind."

Face to face, her fist tightened in his powerful hand, Liz felt a pang of pleasure she judged first out of place but finally she loved it. Far from being upset, Liz let her mind fantasize about her one night partner. She imagined his fingers caressing her body, the intimate parts of her body... A wild dream that made her blushing.
Noticing her embarrassement, Max let her arm go. "Sorry, I didn't want to be that rude."
"That's ok" she said putting the card in her purse.

She looked up at him "Someone talked to you about your biorythm?"
"MY WHAT???"
"Your biorythm. Brandon said always that people who are too tensed, like you, have some problems to live their life serenely."
"Who is Brandon?"
"Brandon Fehr" she said like if everyone knew him. "I go to his gym club and he's my own coach."
"Ah yeah? I heard that it's snobish."
"Not at all! It's a normal club."
"I see what kind of club it is : aerobic, yoga, fruits juice and soft music. I really prefer the police gym club."
"Instead of being stubborn, you should come and see. I can manage with Brandon to meet you, if you want it."
"No thanks."
"As you like."

The band stopped the music and Maria's uncle announced that the newlyweds were leaving. "We have to give our best wishes to them, that's the rule."
"Tell them for me. I have to go."
As he was about to leave her, Liz reached out her hand "I've been pleased to meet you Max. And don't forget to call me if you need me."
He frowned and took her tiny hand "Need you?"
Seeing the ambiguity of her sentence, Liz blushed. When she wants to show her best side, she always feels stupid. Her pulse began to race, a wave of heat invaded her body. Why was she reacting like this around Max? Panicked, she wanted to flee but she was unable to move an inch. She had no choice though, or she had to leave or he had to do it, fast. She was not certain to keep her self control... But her hand. He still held her hand and didn't seem to want to let her go.
"I didn't want to tell if you need ME, but if you need my agency's services." she stammered. "Maybe one day, you would want to meet that doctor I told you about...."

Unwillingly, Max was caressing her fist sensualy "I don't think so" he said fixing her eyes dreamly.
Bewitched by the softness of his caress, Liz didn't think to be shocked by his embrace. That was so good, so tender, so exquisite, that she would pray for it to never end. But everyone know that all good things had to end one day.

Later that night, unable to sleep, Liz was thinking about Max. His golden eyes, his figure, his sexy look. He was the desire made man. Trying to push this thought away, she closed her eyes. She didn't want a man like him, she had already given and they were too dangerous for her.
Fortunately, her life and Max's were different and there was no chance to meet him again.

A week after.

Why did he dance with her? He shouldn't have done....or touched her either. Not even caressed her fist! For his defense, he did it unwillingly.
Since Maria's wedding, already one week, he didn't stop thinking about that dangerous Liz Parker.
Even now, hidden in his Chevelle in front of Harding's, the first suspect in Zan's murder, a 7 years old little boy, he couldn't stop feeling the softness of her skin, the tenderness of her body, the intoxicating scent of her perfum, of herself....
He was there since hours and nothing seemed to move in the appartment he was spying. Everything was quiet.....
"Murder at Beverly Hills." he heard a woman talking at the radio.
*Beverly Hills? A murder in that posh area?* he wondered. *Not for me.*

He rummaged in his pocket for a cigarette and grumbled. He stopped smoking 2 months ago but he still craved for one. Never mind. He stayed there with Liz's memory flying in his mind.
Despite all the emotions he felt that night and the turmoil he saw in her eyes, he couldn't forget the tragedy that turned his life upside down forever. Nothing would erase that day. Yet, since a few days, Liz seemed to come and disturb his subconscious dangerously.
He waved the air in front of his eyes as if he wanted to dispel that annoying image. Fate had been cruel, a bomb in a plane and in half a second, the horror took place of the happiness he had with his family. Everything fell down, his life became a living hell with nightmares for days and nights. He would never forget the funeral, his three loves encased in their empty boxes -they never found their bodies in the Mexico Gulf- friends and family in tears, since he couldn't cry because of the shock and the pain. At the cemetery, there is only one grave for them and after the ceremony, he never came back there. But he swore that, since he had to follow his path alone, he will dedicate his life to spare people to live the same dramas.

Another call from the radio startled him. "Kyle's speaking. What's up?"
"Nothing for the moment, Kyle. I'm waiting for a little while unless you have something for me."
"We have a murder at Beverley Hills. I want you to go there."
"And what about the team of the night?"
"They are on location with the woman who found out the body. They have collected some informations but I prefer if you can go there."
"Ok, but why me?"
"Because you know the woman."
"Can you tell more about this woman?"
"Liz Parker, Maria's sister-in-law."
Without answering, Max started his car and left like he had the devil behind him.

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT..................................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hey guys, I said it on "Not Guilty" fbs, I have some time to write so I'm updating today. I hope you'll like it. this part will mostly be about the first murder... but you'll see.

dreamer19- thank you. Hope to see you again.

begonia9508- Eve, of course he's dreaming about her, how couldn't he! but that's right, he's not over his wife's death so.... Liz a killer? where did you go to find that idea? she could be but not here and I couldn't write something like this about her. thank you.

L-J-L 76- Lizza! tell me how do you do to have so many questions when you read a part? I'm always amazed. but thank you and I hope you'll find some answers here.

roswell3053- Thank you. yeah the chemistry between them is incredible and strong like on the show, isn't it? hope you'll like this part too.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED, I'VE UPDATED "NOT GUILTY" AND I HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE.

Chapter 3

Less than 15 minutes later, Max stopped his car in front of the security gate of the mansion. The place was very well protected and smelt the money.
The guard, suspicious, inspected Max's police card before he opened the iron gate. "Straight away, you'll find your colleagues there."
The police van was in front of the house and behind the windows, Max recognized Liz's long dark hair. Despite of the circumstances, Max was surprised to feel release. Liz was safe.
As if she had felt him, Liz turned her head around. Her beautiful face was pale and worried. Moved, Max willed himself to not run to comfort her. He was on duty and he had to collect all the proofs, to examine the victim before questionning the whitness.

"Good evening Captain."
Max recognized the policewoman he already worked with. "Good evening Serena. Did you send the first message on the radio?"
"Affirmative Captain."
"Who is the victim?"
"His name was Nicholas Ford."
"From the Funeral Parlor?"
"Himself."

"Do we know what caused his death?"
"The legist is examining the body. There are no stains of blood, no signs of violence. We don't know anything more for the moment. A neighbour said that he was in good shape, he was jogging every day and playing squash twice a week with Brandan Fehr."
"That's surely his biorythm which broke down." Max said ironically.
"Excuse me?"
"Nothing." he said turning around toward the van where a cop was still questionning Liz.
"She found the body." Serena said looking at Liz. "Her name is Parker, Liz Parker. And the red Jaguar parked overthere belongs to her. I checked the licence."
"Did she tell something?"
"Yeah. Ford was a widower. He was one of her clients. She runs a matrimonial agency."
Since she was explaining, Serena took a small white card from the file and handed it to Max. "Here's her card."

Seing the small card that Liz tried so hard to give to him since they were dancing, Max remembered the softness of her fist under his thumb.
"Who could think that a man as rich as Nicholas Ford needed a matrimonial agency to find a wife?" Serena mocked.
Max frowned but kept silent. *Maybe those men were registering at Liz Parker's agency to try to seduce her.*
"What did she say about her relations with the victim?"
"She said that they were purely professional."

Max appreciated the answer silently. *How strange is life, sometimes..... Why in the World should Liz Parker, the woman who invaded my mind since days, be the woman who was there, locked in the police van? I expect her to have a good alibi or I hope that Ford has had a heart attack.*
"And what was Mrs Parker doing here?"
"Ford wanted to talk to her about his last date with a woman she had recommanded. As she didn't see him at the Gym Club and he didn't answer on his cellular, she worried and decided to come here."
Max was intrigued. "How did she enter in the house?"
"Apparently, the door was ajar. When she opened it, she saw the body immediately. He was lying in the living and she touched it."
"Touched? Why???"
"Because she thought that maybe he injured his head when he fell and he was unconscious."

Max scratched his head nervously. "How did she enter in his house? If he was dead, he couldn't tell the guard to let her in."
"I'm going to question the guard."
"Could you ask him if Ford received someone else this evening. By the way, do you know if he had relatives?"
"He's a widower but he had a son who lives near from here. The neighbour should give me the adress."
"As soon as I finish with the whitness, I'll take care of the identification."

Max glanced toward the van again and, seeing Liz there, he felt his heart tighten. *Why was she locked in that vehicle like if she was suspected? She was only the whitness, after all.*
Furious, he tightened his fist in his pockets. That scene reminded him of the horror he lived 2 years ago, when he had been unfairly accused of the murder of a woman he dated after his wife's death.
"I'm going to see the body Serena." he said heading toward the house. "In the meantime, could you lead Mrs Parker to my car?"
"Your car?" Serena asked surprised.
"Yeah and tell her that I'll be there in a few minutes."

As Serena was going toward the van, Max cursed. *Geez! Why did I act like this? I'm reacting like a fool or a teen, you can choose!.* he thought since he pushed the large door.
Inside the house, the experts were busy. Ford's body rested on his stomach on the first step of the stairs. Sean Deluca, the legist, was examining it.
"Did the victim have signs of violence, Doctor?"
"I didn't see anything for the moment. No trace on his neck or hands. The man is strong, he would have fought if someone attacked him. I'm going to take a plastic sheet to turn the body on its back but I'm afraid that we won't find anything else."

When the doctor walked out, the sergeant West came beside Max.
"I let you question Liz Parker since Kyle wants you to take that case. But before you talk to her, I'd like to show you something in the kitchen."
Max followed him.
"On the counter, there is a box with chocolates with some papers around. It seems that Ford ate some chocolates."
"Do you think that he had been poisonned?"
"To tell you the truth, I don't know what to think about that. I know that Liz Parker has a brother, Michael, who is working as the number two of the DA and he just married Maria."
"I'm sorry but I don't see the link with a possible poisonning."
"That's because there was a note in the box which said "Nicholas, this is just the beginning. Yours. Liz."
West looked at him with a questionning expression on his face. "When the cop questionned her, Liz Parker had insisted on the strictly professionnal side of their relations."
"That's what Sereana said to me."
"Look....What I was thinking is that if I received a box with chocolates with a note like this, I would think about anything else but business. Most of all from a gorgeous woman like Liz Parker!"

Max wanted to protest but he decided to no. After that great demonstration, West left the place. Deluca who had returned the body on his back approached. "No blood. No injury. Maybe that poor man is dead naturally." he conclued.
"Or maybe not. The autopsy will say it." Max said.

Seated at the back of Max's Chevelle, Liz was fiddling with the plastic glasses or the wrappings that were on the seat.
She indeed felt better here than in the police van, but she couldn't calm her anxiety. 2 hours ago, she had found out Nicholas Ford's body. Never before she had seen or touched a body, she had been so scared that her body was still trembling.
She tried to remember Brendan's lessons to overcome the stress and she tried to control her breath, she closed her eyes.
Immediately, that was Max's figure that loomed up under her eyelids. When she saw him arrive here, she discovered someone else, not only a man but a cop involved in his job. Eventually, a very different person from the handsome dark haired man with those incredible golden eyes she met at the wedding.
He confused her. Since Michael's wedding, she didn't stop thinking about him. She had wild thought she should have pushed away easily. As soon as she has seen him, she had known that he was not a man for her, she didn't want to burn her soul with an adventurer again. Yet, since they danced together -oh! the muscles of his thighs against her hips...- the memory of her one dance's partner was engraved in her mind.

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT...................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

Hey guys, for those who are still interested, I'm back with another chapter. I hope you'll like it and I'm waiting for your fbs to tell me.
but first I'd like to thank you, you my readers and you the lurkers. I'd be glad to know you btw! so if you want to say "hello!" don't be shy!.

roswell3053 - thank you. I'm sure that you'll appreciate Max's behavior here, since that chapter is 100% dreamer.

Natalie36 - thank YOU

begonia9508 - Eve, I can't believe that you can't read between the lines! it's M/L here. yet, you have to agree that her presence on the location is suspicious, no? thank you for the fb.

kittens - that will be the case till they find the suspect. thank you.

L-J-L 76 - Lizza, to many questions to answer. I think that you'll have to read the parts to find the answers, you'll get them all but not in the same time. Thank you.

cassie - I hope you'll stick with me here, cause I won't tell till the end of the fic.. Isn't it the normal way to write that kind of fic? thank you

I hope I'll find you there after that part. As I said to Cassie, if you want to know is killed that man, you'll have to wait the end of the fic. Will you be there? Only you can say it!!!

BTW, "NOT GUILTY" AND "THAT UNFORGETTABLE GIRL" WILL BE UPDATED LATER. RL IS ALREADY EATING ME!!!

Chapter 4

When his colleagues were gone, Max came back to his Chevelle and opened the door "You can go out. I need to talk to you and that will be easier if we sit at the front."
"If you want" she mumbled.
When she walked in front of him, Liz looked up at him. He was tall, taller than she thought when they danced. That night, she wore high heels sandals and the difference seemed less important.
"You know I have nothing else to say. I already told everything to your colleagues."
Silence.
"I have nothing to add!!!" she repeated louder, noticing that instead of listenning to her, he was just staring.

She was wearing a long white dress which didn't hide her perfect figure and low heels shoes. Despite her classical outfit, she was divine. Noticing Max's look on her, Liz blushed. *Is he the cop who tries to guess her guilt? Or the man who.... *Pushing this absurd idea away from her mind, Liz sat at the front of the car beside him like he asked. Max was just climbing inside when they heard the stretcher that was led into Nicholas Ford's house.
"He might have a heart attack."
"Why do you think so?" Max asked.
"Nicholas confided in me that he had a stroke a few years ago. Not too serious luckily, but he had to be on a severe diet."
"Nicholas?"
"Yeah, Nicholas Ford. Why?" she asked looking into his eyes.

Max was disturbed by her eyes, he turned his head around since Liz continued to stare at him. She liked to be near him. In the heat of the car, his warm and spicy perfume, the same he had at the wedding, was more and more intoxicating. *That's so strange to be here together, side by side in that car, since I was so sure to not see him anymore. Funny thing that fate! But was it a good thing?* She closed her eyes trying to remember that night, still feeling the softness of his thumb on her skin and the sweet torture of his body against hers while they were swaying. *And his hands.....Ahhh his hands!!!! Made to caress and Max was certainly good with caresses.*

"Tell me what do you know about Ford." he startled her.
Leaning against the door, tousled, his crumpled shirt and his denim jeans, he looked like relax and so damned sexy, but the psychologist in her knew that that was just a façade.
"Nicholas was on of my clients."
"Since long?"
"Almost 6 months. I can check the date."
"Did you know him before he joined your agency?"
"No"
Max paused for a while.
"So suddenly, one day, he came into your agence."
"Not like that. I met him at an event and I gave him my card. He came at the agence the day after."
"And you went out with him" Max said agressively.
"Wrong Captain! I never go out with my clients."
"Then how do you explain your presence here tonight? In his house?"

Exasperated, Liz sighed. She already told that to the policeman, she didn't want to tell it again. She sighed again.
"I already explained to your policiman that I didn't hear from him since a while and that silence worried me. That was not his manners to not phone at the office when he promised to do it nor to miss a squash match."
"Did you play with him?"
"No, he played with Brendan twice a week."
Silence.

"Is it your habit to visit your clients to see how they're doing?" he asked ironically.
"Of course not! But Nicholas had.... some problems which.... justified a very particular attention. He lost his wife 2 years ago and was desperatly looking for someone. Unluckily, I failed to find out his perfect soulmate. I felt that he was unhappy and impatient. His loneliness was unbearable and I was scared that he became depressed. You know some men can't live by themselves."
Max didn't answer and Liz noticed that he was locking himself like a shell, she wondered if she made a mistake. He looked sad and Liz, annoyed to have caused that sadness, put her hand on his arm.
"Excuse me Captain, did I say something wrong?"
Max stiffened. He looked at her hand with icy eyes and Liz took off her hand abruptly. His eyes were so strange with anger and contempt....

"So, Ford was suffering from a lack of affection?" he continued like if nothing happened.
Liz breathed deeply and glanced at him. The sadness was gone and now he was sarcastic. Max looked at the mansion. "With his fortune, why did he need your help to find a wife?"
*Why is he so agressive? It's as if he has a grudge against me since I didn't do anything to him.*
"He knew some women of course, but none of them was good enough to give him the envy to build a strong relationship with her. Nicholas was a workalcolic and had no time to meet people. He was too old to frequent the bars or anything else."
"So you make him meet women but none of them pleased him and angry, he decides to quit the agency."
"Sort of... But this is not important anymore." she said seeing the stretcher with Ford's body leave the house.

"Except that an angry client is not good for the agency reputation."
Liz jumped. The man who was sitting beside her was questionning her like a vulgar suspect. Who does he think she was?
Furious, she turned around toward him "What are you trying to say Captain?"
But Max didn't answer.
"Of course I was upset by the problem. I love that my clients are satisfied. I love that my work is appreciated. Don't you?"
"Lots of people in jail think like you. Generally, they say that they are innocent."
With the corner of his eye, Max was spying Liz's reaction. But she didn't move.
"Mrs Parker, do you think that Ford expected to go out with you?"
Shocked by the question, Liz, this time, reared "Excuse me??? What allowed you to say that?"
"Some details. You give your card to him and the day after he's at your agency. We're allowed to wonder."
"WRONG Captain! I don't date my clients!"
"But he asked you out?"
"Once and I refused. We didn't talk about it anymore." she mumbled.

"And about this?" Max asked taking the note he found in the box of chocolates. "Do you remember something?"
"Yes." she tried to not tremble. "That was to tell him "thank you" since he renewed his contract with us."
"Is this your writing?"
"No, my assistant's. He took care of everything. Now Captain, I'm exhausted. I'd like to go home."
"One last question. How did you pass the gate?"
"The guard let me enter. He certainly found me pleasant. Now that's enough Captain."

She opened the door and climbed out of the car. "Wait!!" he called her.
He climbed out of the car and jogged toward her. He grabbed her elbow. Liz, moved by his hand on her bare skin startled. "You look exhausted, you won't be able to drive like this."
"You won't prevent me to do what I want. Now leave me alone. I don't appreciate your suspicious mind."
"I didn't accuse you Liz."
"So can you explain why did you question me like if I was guilty?"
"That's my job to interrogate the whitnesses. I've been charged to investigate on a suspicious death and until we prove the contrary, I have to preceed like if it's a murder."
Liz stood silently, contemplating the idea of a murder. She doubted that Nicholas Ford has been....
"Do you think that Nicholas has been killed?"
"The autopsy will tell us. For the moment, I'm going to interrogate Ford's son and drop you off at your home on the way, if you want it cause I see how you're looking tired."

Surprised to see him take care of her well-being, Liz began to relax. She contemplated the idea of being beside him in his Chevelle and she smiled, but a painful memory came to spoil her pleasure.
Once upon a time, another man, as handsome than Max Evans, seduced her and she married him. But some months after that posh wedding, he cheated on her in their house with her best friend.
The shock has been terrible, an unfaithful husband and her best friend's betrayal.... she broke down.
Then she recovered her strength and divorced swearing that she wouldn't be so naive anymore. No more passion for Liz Parker.
"No, thank you. I'm going back by myself."
And without looking at Max, she headed toward the Jaguar.

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT.........................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

Hey guys, here I am with a new chapter. I hope you'll like it. I let you find out what happens here.
as always, I'd like to thank my faithful readers, don't worry, I won't repeat, and the lurkers who gave a look at it. If you want to tell me if you liked it or not, don't be shy!!!

L-J-L76- Lizza, please I can't respond to all your questions, sorry. I hope that you'll find some answers here but be sure that at the end of the fic you'll know everything.

AS I HAVE SOME TIME TODAY, I'LL TRY TO UPDATE MY OTHER FICS TOO. BUT THAT'S NOT SURE. GIVE A LOOK IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.

Chapter 5

The morning after, when he arrived at his office, Max called his informer about Harding. "Jake! are you kidding me! Harding didn't visit his girlfriend. I was waiting there for hours! Next time, give me the good information, or I'll forget about my manners with you!" he yelled.

Max was really in a bad mood today and people around daren't to approach him. Minutes later, the phone rang.
"Ford's autopsy is finished. He had been paralysed. I found out the mark of a sting on his neck. Definitely, a fatal injection. We'll have the last results from the labo next week" Sean Deluca said.
"Do you know when he had been killed?"
"It was around 5:00 pm."
"That means that the killer acted between 4:00 and 6:00."
"Exactly."

Contemplating that idea, Max looked at the wall. Ford didn't fight, he opened the door without fear, that means that he certainly knew his visitor. A relative or a maybe good friend...or a woman?
The only one person the guard let enter into the mansion was Liz Parker. But that didn't mean anything. Someone could have entered while the guard was absent, or the killer could have let his car outside of the residence and climbed over the wall. Peanuts for someone who used to entertain himself at the gym....
When he gathered some informations, Max found out that Brendan's club was in the same building that Liz's agency, they were on the same floor and that annoyed Max a lot, the idea of Brendan and Liz friendship was unbearable for him.

All night long, he had been unable to get Liz out of his mind : Liz sitting in the police car, Liz with that blank face, Liz...Liz....Liz! How fragile she looked, so fragile that he wanted to help her.
But since this morning, since they were sure that that was a murder, Liz was the main whitness and he had to be distant with her.
Last night, he followed the official procedure. He treated her like any other whitness, without helping her but letting her time enough to reflect.
*Did she lie? Maybe.* But Max, who confided a lot in his intuitions, had the strong conviction that she was telling the truth. She never tried to hide her relations with the victim, at last, she had no mobile to get rid of Ford.

But that was not what bothered Max the most. His thoughts were elsewhere, obssessed by Liz. Liz who incarnated the temptation, Liz who was the danger herself, a danger he want to escape. But, regarding to what the legist said, Max was sure to meet her again.....

..... The sun was shining when he parked his car in front of Liz's agency building. Impressed by the ultra-modern design, Max looked around when he stepped into the hall. Enormous chandeliers, larges mirrors, soft carpets, leather couches comforted him in the idea that all the people living and working there were wealthy. On the wall, there was a board with some luxurious companies of perfumes, jewels or fashion, all famous.

Suddenly, at the bottom of the list, Brendan's name picked up his eyes. As soon as he'll get a warrant, he'll search the gym's club. But for the moment, he had to question Mrs Parker again. Max was upset cause he had the impression to be in a thick fog regarding that investigation : no sign, no known ennemis, and yet....
Max took the lift and went to the last floor, as he stepped out of the cabin, he stopped, surprised by the showy luxury of the place.
At the reception, a pretty brunette welcomed him. "Hi, do you look for someone?"
"Your manager"
"Do you have a..." but Max cut her off not wanting the conversation to last longer. He showed her his police card.

A few months ago, Max would have used his charm to try to talk to the manager, but since he had been accused of murder of a woman he has just dated, he distrusted the meaning people gave to someone who was just flirting. He paid the high price for that. Without Maria's evidence, the only person who believed in him, he would have been in jail.
"Captain Max Evans, can you tell Mrs Parker that I'm here."
The girl obeyed at once and picked up the phone.
"Mrs Parker's assistant is not in his office for the moment, Captain. I take you there."
"Thank you, but I'll find by myself"

Without waiting for her answer, he walked toward a door with the word "Private" on the door. Ignoring the forbidding, he entered into the room and began to rummage the files. Among them, he found a picture of a man who was in the lift with him, named Delfino, a Bresilian, certainly a client.
He closed the drawer and walked toward the other door. A fruity perfume he recognized very well was floating in the air. Liz.
She had that perfume on the wedding's day, he didn't forget it and then he was not the kind of man who can be exhilarated by a scent. *Why does he feel so moved suddenly? Their encounter has affected him more than he wanted to admit it. Ava, his first and unique love, was a delicious wife. The feeling he had for Liz looked like attraction and lust.*

Upset to see that a perfume could disturb him but not wanting to wonder even more, Max knocked at the door and opened it.
Liz stood there, leaning against the window to look outside. Her short skirt was up high on her thighs and showed her long and slender tan legs.
Breathless, Max stood silently at the doorway, contemplating her, shocked to feel himself aroused. But he recovered his composure before talking.
"Are you looking for someone?"

Surprised, Liz startled and turned around toward him. "But....what are you doing here? No one enters in my office without being announced!" she said angrily.
"Your assistant was absent"
Max's eyes were undressing her and he couldn't keep himself from staring at her. Her suit was perfect for her figure. She was desirable!
"True. Kev went to prepare my tea."
"Do you drink a lot of tea?"
"A whole teapot after my yoga excercises"
Max walked toward her, his eyes locked with hers. He smelt her perfume that intoxicated him, a blast of desire invaded his body and he felt his pants tighten.

Looking at him as he got closer, Liz felt her heart racing in her chest. How does she love his look. His white shirt and his tight jeans emphasizing his strong thighs, he was really too sexy, too hot.
Disturbed, she walked toward her desk. "Did you want something, Captain Evans?"
"Absolutely" he said narrowing his eyes as a blond lanky man entered in the office with a tray on his hands. "Can you put it there, Kev?"
Tall, blond with blue eyes, Kev looked like a model. "I'm sorry Liz, I didn't know that you had a visitor."
"Don't be Kev. Captain Evans is not a client." she said taking advantage of the need to drink a cup of tea to walk away from Max. "Unless.... you decided to meet that gorgeous doctor I told you about, Captain?"
"I'm here for Nicholas Ford's case."

As soon as he talked, Liz pictured Nicholas's body, lying on the floor and she shivered.
"I'd like to see his file."
"Kev, can you bring Nicholas Ford's file to the Captain, please."
"With pleasure Liz."
"Sit down Captain. May I give you something to drink?"
"We have some tea with ginseng from Siberia" said Kev who couldn't resolve himself to leave the office.
"No thank you"
Disappointed, Kev put the teapot on the table and handed to Liz a cup of tea.
"Do you prefer a cup of coffee? We have Expresso or Cappuccino, as you like."
"I'd like to see Ford's file, that'll be enough."
Upset, Kev left the office. Liz sipped from her cup of tea.
"Is that ginseng from Siberia a Brendan's beverage?"
"Not at all. It's Kev mixture. His uncle Joe provides him several mix he's doing himself."

A ironical smile on his lips, Max leant toward Liz. "Just a question. Does it happen to you to meet normal people?"
"Normal?"
"Yeah. People who are not obssessed by their biorythmes, people who drink tea from the supermarket, who eat hamburger with chips, who don't pay someone to find their soulmate!"
Hurt, Liz tried to restrain her hand from trembling. She loved her job and her way of life. Max's irony was unbearable and odious. Her life is none of his business and if she was not a good girl he would have received her cup of tea on his face!
"Dear Captain, seeing the garbage that was invadng your car, I'm tempted to tell that if someone is abnormal here, that's you!"
Max frowned and stiffened.
*Touché* Liz thought, happy.
Max blushed, annoyed. "I didn't want....."

But Kev coming back with the file interrupted him. "Anything else Liz?" he asked smiling.
"Thank you Kev, that's all;"
"I remind you Liz that I have to leave in 15 minutes but I can delay my meeting if you need me."
"Don't be ridiculous! Your mother needs to visit the doctor. You should leave now if you don't want to be late."
Reluctantly, Kev left the office.
"Your assistant is really devoted to you. How old is he?"
"24 years old next month. He's working hard to pay his mother's doctors and he's majoring in advertising and public relations. That man is a gift for me, he's not scared of working a lot."
"The perfect employee, I guess."
"Absolutely. But that doesn't tell me how Nicholas died, Captain."
"Poisonned. More precisely suffocated by a poison injection."
"Poor Nicholas!....So it has nothing to do with my chocolates!"
"No."

Liz felt relieved that the chocolates have nothing to do with Nicholas's death. "But I'm sure Captain, that for you, I'm not completely innocent yet"
"If I have a advice to give you Mrs Parker" Max said pointing his finger toward her. "You shouldn't tell that to an Crim' inspector. For a cop, every innocent person is a potential suspect. By the way, tell me where were you yesterday afternoon? I'd like to finish with that once for all."
Liz was upset by the question and worried about her stupidity.
"Yesterday? I had lunch at a charity, then a meeting with my lawyer. Around 4:00, I went to my designer to choose some curtains. I stayed there one hour. Then I came back here to go to Brendan's club, at last I went to Nicholas's house, but you already know that."

"OK. Now I'll need the names of the women you introduced to Ford."
Feeling Liz stiffening, Max threatened her.
"Within one hour, I could have a warrant from the State Prosecutor. You'll be compelled to provide me those informations."
"I know. But I promise the secret to my clients. I understand what you're suggesting but I'm sure of my clients'morality. Before the first meeting, we check their past, their morality and their financial state. Since I have no other choice, I'll give you the informations you demand. I'm not that happy but I'll bring them to you tonight, at your home."
"Impossible, I won't be there."
*Too bad* Liz thought sadly.

"By the way, I'll need your employees's names too with their details."
Upset, Liz folded her arms around her waist and paced up and down in her office. *This time, he is exagerating!*
"I hate the idea that you could suspect one of my employees!"
"That's the routine" he said rummaging in Ford's file. "I see that you introduce ten partners to him. I have to question them. All of them!"
"I'll give you the tapes we have about them. We're filming the interviews for our members. This way, they know everything about the partner before the meeting."
"That doesn't let room for the surprises!"
"We avoid the painful failures." reacted Liz, remembering some painful memory.

Looking indifferent, Max handed her his card. "Call me when the copies will be ready. And if you remember something about Ford or one of these women too."
Liz quivered when she felt his fingers on her skin. She has been disappointed when he told her that he wouldn't be at his home tonight... She can't deny her turmoil each time he looks at her, her trembling each time he brushes against her, her emotion when she hears his voice... No need to hide from herself that she likes him, a lot. That's obvious. But that's just physical so it will disappear as quickly as he came.

When she met Jason, she was young and naive. Today, getting old, she was more mature and wise. Never again, she'll let a devastating passion rule her life. The man she'll marry will be calm and strong. No need to feel those crazy emotions or a love at first sight, she wants her life to be serene, a quiet lake.
In the meantime, she won't throw herself in a one nightstand adventure with a man which considerate her like a fling. *NO. This time is over!*

"Hum...Before you leave, we could talk about that doctor?"
"Why? Did she go out with Ford?"
"No...But I'd like to introduce her to you."
"You're stubborn, you never give up! I told you that I'm not interested. That's clear. Neither today nor tomorrow! I'm not interested in women."
"You're not interested in women?" she insisted surprised.
"No" he groaned.
"Oh, I understand. Don't be ashamed Captain. I'm sure that a treatment with plants will boost your sexual needs and you'll better."

Max paled and suddenly grabbed her shoulders and pushed her against the wall.
"Captain Ev...Evans.. I..... What??" she stammered feeling his hard body against her.
She felt weak.
"Boost my sexual needs!!!" he exploded.
Their eyes were locked, their bodies were touching everywhere, they were defying each other.
"But, you've just said that.... that you weren't interested in.....women!"
"Forget about the biorythmes, about the siberian tea, about everything" Max said his lips brushing hers. "Here's the real life!"

Then digging his tongue between her soft and trembling lips, he kissed her wildly. Unable to repress his desire, Max held her very tightly against him. Surprised, almost scared, Liz moaned. That was not the first kiss she received, far from that, but this one had a taste of....sin.
Marvelled by her feelings, she arched against his body, her breasts pulling through her blouse.....

She won't change! As soon as a man touchs her, brushes her, she quivers exhilarated with desire.
She pulled away when air was needed but quickly returned to the magic of his arms.
Max was a magician, in his arms, under the fire of his kisses, the world ceased to turn round.
"Max...oh Max..."
Carried away by her desire, Liz wrapped her arms around his virile nap and gave her lips to him. Max didn't wait to take them hungrily.

...... He couldn't stop himself from devouring this temptress's lips. He didn't it wanted anymore. He wanted to swallow her, he wanted to make one with her... He wanted to possess her, he and anyone else... He kissed her neck, nibbled at her ears. He couldn't get enough of her.

She moaned under his assault, she wanted him like anyone before him. She was near to tell him that when a blast of reason enlightened her mind. *G-d! What I was about to do with that man?* she thought scared. Eyes closed, she pushed him away and stroked the skin of her neck. It was wet and warm where Max's lips kissed her. She put her fingers on her lips and sucked them. Then unable to stand up, she leant against the wall. She closed her eyes tightly to catch all the emotion they shared.

"Look at me"
Max's voice was husky with desire.
"Look at me" he repeated cupping her face in his strong hands.
She stared at him. Embarrassed by the turmoil she read in his eyes, she closed her eyes again.
"Look at me, Liz...look at me."
She forced herself to reopen her eyes and felt the strong emotion that overwhelmed him.
"I don't want your damned doctor. I don't need anyone to take care of my sexual needs. Is it clear for you now?" he groaned.
He let her go and walked toward the door. "I don't want to talk about that anymore, understand? Never!".
He left the building, angry with himself. For the first time in his life, his desire for a woman makes him behave like a beast and he didn't like that.

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT.............................................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

hey guys here is the update! with a beta like Amy (FamersAmers) your whishes are orders. thank you so much girl!

I hope you'll like this part and I look forward to reading your fbs.

~*~Chapter 6~*~

15 minutes later, Max was still furious with himself. The search warrant in his pocket, he entered into the glass and steel building. He had to go to Brendan's club and come back to his usual activities fast, before he went crazy

Of all the stupid things he had done in his life, kissing Liz Parker was at the top. This time he was beyond himself. He was furious, angry and he couldn’t stop cursing himself.

He had never in his life reacted to anyone the way he reacted to Liz, not even Ava. A woman had never affected him like Liz had. With Liz it had been immediate, it felt like magic. He shook his head, those were not things he needed to be thinking about.

It didn’t matter though, he still couldn’t get her out of his mind, no matter how hard he tried. He had always had the strength to push his disturbing thoughts aside. That was before he had met Liz though, before the shared chemistry that brought him to his knees

When the elevator reached the club for Max stepped out still lost in his thought. He had failed to keep control that much he would admit. It took almost all of his willpower to not take Liz right there on the carpet. He couldn’t recognize himself when she was around.

"Are you looking for someone?" a voice startled him. He turned around toward a gorgeous brunette who was smiling at him.

"Maybe, me?" she asked again but it was Liz Parker who came in his mind first..... a few minutes earlier she was undulating against his body and he, poor fool, didn't stop her, that was even the opposite!

Upset by his weakness, Max glared at the gorgeous girl and without a word walked toward the receptionist.

There a pretty 20 years old blond girl welcomed him. She was tightened in showy pink top and pants, the same color of her makeup.

"Are you looking for someone?"

"Yes, your boss, I'm Captain Max Evans from the precinct."

"We already have an officer here. He's waiting at the men's cloakroom."

"I know that. I sent him. May I talk to Brendan please?"

The pretty girl turned around the computer and clicked on the keyboard. "Brendan is busy at the moment, but one of his partners can talk to you, Captain Evans."

"No. I don’t want to talk to his partner. I want to speak to him.”

"He asked us to not disturb him."

"I have a search warrant. If you make this hard, I'll have no problem using it. So…” he didn’t want to have to threaten her but he wasn’t about to let this go.

"Ok, ok...I will call someone to take you up there" she was scared he could tell.

Max breathed deeply. He knew he had a temper and that girl had pushed him. She irritated him, enough to want to throw her and the desk into the wall.

“Tell me where he is and I can find him myself” she glared at him and it was evident she didn’t appreciate his attitude.

"He...he's playing squash."

Without waiting for her to show him where the squash room was, he walked toward the door beside her desk and pushed it with his shoulder.

Immediately, he was in the middle of the club itself, overwhelmed by the music, the light, and the posh design of the place.

There were some people sweating and trying to soothe their stress here. There were all kinds of people there. Some were wealthy, he could tell by their attire and the way the carried themselves and some, well some looked like Schwarzenegger.

Amused, Max looked at them, he knew what it took to keep that type of body. Noticing a young man wearing a shirt with the name of the club, he asked him to show him the squash court.

The young man pointed to the sent of doors to the left and Max headed toward them. After several doors, Max arrived in a large room.

Whaou! That was all Max could say when he saw Brendan.

Dressed in a white shirt and shorts, Brendan was giving all his measure in the game. With his tanned skin and the mountain of muscles, Brendan was the perfect body builder. *I hope that I never fall in his hands, he'll break my bones* Max thought as he walked further into the room.

“Good game”

"Thanks" Brendan said without turning around "Are you my next opponent?"

"No, I'm here to talk to you."

"About what?"

"Captain Max Evans. I have a search warrant to search Nicholas Ford's locker."

"Finally!! The cop you sent here to look after the locker made my clients nervous. They come here to relax, to forget their stress, not to endure the negative vibes of the police." Max rolled his eyes, this wasn’t about their comfort.

He glanced at the search warrant Max handed him. "You don't need that, Nicholas's locker is always open."

"That piece of paper prevents us from any trouble"

"I guess that Nicholas has been killed if you are acting like this. I knew that he didn’t have a heart attack, he was in a too good of shape for that and he always took care of him himself. "

"He was supposed to play with you yesterday, no?"

"Exactly but he didn't come."

"And you weren’t surprised?"

"A delay sometimes happens. My clients are sometimes reluctant to practice. Obviously, I prefer them to cancel the game but I can't do anything to prevent that... Let's go..... This way."
Max followed him toward the lockers.

"By the way, do you play squash?"

"When I have time." Max looked around at the people sweating obviously trying to stay in good shape. Women and men were fighting with the different machines under the tanned and well built coach's eye.

"You should come and practice here Captain." Brendan suggested seriously. "I feel your tense vibe and it means that your work is invading your relaxation hours."

"Difficult to relax when you're working this job." When they arrived beside the lockers, there was a cop leaning against the wall.

"How is it going Mike?" Max asked putting plastic gloves on. "Anything wrong?" When Mike shook his head no, Max opened Nicholas's locker.

"Ok, let's see what that locker is hiding.....shoes.... towel.....oh.. an envelop."
Max opened it

"A funeral notification for.... Brody Young. Do you know something about that Brendan? Do you know him?"

"Yeah, he was a client. He died in a car crash 2 weeks ago. He would have a great future..."

*Why did Ford keep that piece of paper in his locker?* Intrigued, Max handed the shoes to Mike to put them in a bag.

"Not worth...."

"We'll see. Brandan, I have some questions to ask you. When did Mr. Ford subscribe to your club?"

"Around 6 months ago. I'll check if you need it."

"Did he happen to miss a meeting?"

"No. We played squash together twice a week. He never missed one."

"Except yesterday?"

"Yes, thank G-d." he admitted.

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah! For days, all he did was complain."

"I thought that he was in a good shape...."

"Not lately... He was complaining about Liz and was upset about bad financial investments he made."

"Do you know why he was upset with Ms. Parker?" he asked faking casual.

"He didn’t find her devoted enough to him. He was wrong, Liz is always devoted to clients, he was no different”

"Have you talked about that with Ms Parker?"

"Of course! Ford's bad mood would have brought about bad publicity to the reputation of the matrimonial agency."

"How did she react?"

"She has been very upset." Max knew that he couldn't miss any evidence. A mobile could bring a criminal move. Concerning Liz, he knew that her relationship had returned to the normal since he had accepted to renew his contract with her agency. But why did he change his mind so quickly?

"And what do you know about the bad investments you talked about earlier?"

"Nearly nothing, other than he lost a lot of money."

"Do you know if he quarreled with someone? A friend? A relative?"

"Not to my acknowledgement, Captain."

"If you remember something, call me. Here's my card. I have one more question? Do your clients sign in each time they come to the club?"

"Absolutely! I have everything on my computer. My employees clock in."

"I'll need a list of all the people that checked in an out over the last week."

Liz told him that she had worked with Brendan yesterday night, and that was her alibi. He needed to know it.

"Something else, Captain?" Brendan asked making Max jump.

"Hmm, yeah. Is there another exit which allows you to leave the building without anyone knowing?"

"Yes. There is one beside my office. I can go here and there without anyone knowing it."

"By the way, where were you yesterday."

"Here."

"Didn't you go out?"

"No."

"Any objection if I question your employees or clients?"

"No, but please be discreet." He shook his head and headed out of the club.

~*~*~*~*~

With her hands on the steering wheel of her Jaguar, Liz drove in the night. Ten hours had passed since Max had kissed her like a fool. Ten hours that she couldn’t stop thinking about him.

When the police man had come to pick up the video Liz had been glad that it hadn’t been Max. She knew she wouldn’t have been able to resist him. However, since her husband’s betrayal she knew what it felt like and she decided that throwing herself into a gorgeous man’s arms. Evan if he was the sexiest man on Earth.

NO!!! Another man would not destroy her, she would not allow it.

She hadn’t met a man that had given her the yearning to go back down that road. The wild attraction she felt for Max was trick from her sexual needs, she had forgotten about them for far too long.

For the moment, her job was the most important to her. Her hard work had paid off and it was rewarding to see the fruits of her labor in front of her.

This afternoon, she had spent one hour with a future client and she had finally convinced him to subscribe. When he left the agency, she hopped into her car and headed to a far suburb where one of her clients, Nasedo, lived. She wanted to give him back the gold pen he had forgot at the agency.

What a life! She never stops!

The light turned to green and she drove. Outside, the sky was dark and Liz began to worry since she didn't know that area very well. After mistaking 4 houses for his, she finally found Nasedo's house.

It was in the dark. No car, no lights. He was probably out. She stopped her car in the street and walked toward the house, tightening the pen in her hand

*I really don't like being in the dark.*As she was cheering herself to go on, the door of the house opened and a figure whose face was hidden by a hood came toward her.

She was sacred and when the figure reached out and touched her she fell backward. As she hit the ground the back of her head collided with the statute and all she could see was a curtain of black.

TBC…IF YOU WANT IT..........................................
martine
Addicted Roswellian

Post by martine »

Hey guys, I'm back with a new chapter.

as I already left my fbs to answer to yours, I just want to thank every reader who still read my fics. I hope that you'll like this part.

I'd say that I updated all the fics without my dear beta FamersAmers so be indulgent for the mistakes, now that she's back, the next chapters will be more comprehensive.

Chapter 7

Max was talking to the funeral house employee when he felt his cellular vibration.
"Max Evans" he announced
"Ma..max?.... I "
"Liz? What happens?"
"I don't know.. I've been agressed, I guess.... My head...."

"Are you injured? Where are you?" Trying to overcome his fear, Max held tightly his phone.
"I'm in my car in front of a client's house. Delfino, at Pico blvd.
"Don't move. I'll ask his adress to the Central and I'll be there."

Anxious, Max hung up and dialed a number on his phone "Hello? Evans's talking. Send immediatly a patrol and an ambulance to Delfino, Pico blvd. There is a woman in a red Jaguar, she's injured. I'm heading there too."

When he arrived on location, Max found the police there.
"What's up?" he asked to the first policeman he met.
"A woman, injured, and a body. Surely the house owner." he explained. "The woman in the Jag told us about the circonstances of her agression. She's not in danger. Juste some cuts and bruises."

"Did you see fight evidences inside?"
"No. The body is in the living room. Apparently, the victim didn't defend himself. And there is no break in."
*Like in Ford's case.*[/i] Max thought.

"I'd like you to interrogate the neighbours. Maybe someone noticed something that is not apparent here."
Fighting to overcome his fears, Max ran toward the ambulance.
Immobile, pale, her eyes closed, Liz was lying on a stretcher.
"How is she?"

Aknowledging Max's voice, Liz opened her eyelids. " Oh..Ma...ax" she whispered.
Moved by her poor face, Max smiled looking at her, but she had already closed her eyes and couldn't see him.
"Liz" he begged "Liz... I'm here"
Exhausted, she tried to smile. "Sorry... Sorry Max. I called you. I didn't do it on purpose. I mean, I press on one touch and... Sorry, I know that you didn't want me to approach you. You said it... And then.... we... we kissed."

"You did the right thing, Liz. I'm in the police and.." Instinctively, he tightened Liz's fingers in his hand.
"I was so scared... I was so scared." she couldn't stop to tell.

*Who couldn't be that scared? * Max thought. In less than 48 hours, Liz stumbled over two clients's bodies. In both cases, there was no fight, nor blood. Coïncidence? Max didn't think so. He is certain that the legist will find the mark of a sting on Delfino's neck....

Perplexed, Max lowered his eyes and looked at their fingers laced together. Disturbed by that image, he pulled away his hand.
"Did you see your agressor?"
"No. That was too dark. But maybe Delfino saw him?"

Delfino was not able to see anything but Liz Parker didn't know it.
The first aid assistant announced that they were ready to leave. Max leant toward Liz's face.
"I have to go Liz. They're going to lead you to the hospital. That'll be better for you."
"I hate hospitals"
"That's for your well-being Liz."

Unable to move, Liz tried to smile and let her head fall on the side.
*How fragile does she look suddenly! Where was the sure of herself young woman he met at the wedding?* Moved by her appearance and an incredible yearning to protect her, he climbed into the ambulance and took her tiny hand in his. Leaning a little he was surprised to smell her so particular perfume despite the medical smells that were floating around them.

Her intoxicated scent reminded him of a lot of sensations he wanted so much to forget, he closed his eyes, fighting them. But that was worse, Liz's image roared in his mind.
"Thank you Max." she whispered in his ears and once again he fought the envy to turn his face to look at her. He couldn't trust himself around her anymore.
He stepped back repressing a painful sigh "Don't thank me Liz. I'm only doing my duty."

"Are you coming with us, Captain?"
"No."Max replied hopping outside.

As the ambulance was leaving, Max returned to Delfino's house, torn and disturbed by contradictory feelings.
Once, he met an exceptional woman. He adored her but a cruel fate took her from him. There was not a day since that tragedy that he didn't think about her. His life is just a long agony now. The only way to avoid another same tragedy, was to leave alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liz woke up at the hospital a little while after she arrived. Her body was hurting, she felt dizzy and each time she tried to remember the man with the mask, she was scared.
That was a man, she was certain. A woman couldn't hit her with that strength.

She remembered that she fell against the statue and lost conscience. Later.... one minute....one hour... she didn't know, she had stood up and climbed into her car. Then, she had took her cellular and pressed on the first touch without looking at it. Max... That was Max that she had called, that was Max Evans's number among all the numbers she could have dialed.

She tried to open her eyes but the light was hurting her so she kept them closed.
"I'm only doing my duty" he said before the ambulance left. *Why did he talk to me so coldly. Why did he talk with that official tone to tell me that?* And yet, minutes earlier, she had felt a man beside her not a policeman.

A policeman wouldn't ever look at her with so much concern, he wouldn't take her hand and hold her tight like he did. Even if she was not very conscious, she had felt something... like a bond between them, it happened without their knowing.

Her eyelids still closed, she touched her cheek and shivered under the pain. Fortunately, the doctor said that she had not severe injuries, only bruises. She'll forget about them quickly, for the moment, she was happy to learn that she could leave when someone would come to pick her up.
Her great friend Isabel was not available, so that was Kev, her faithful assistant who eagerly offered to come.

Still shocked, Liz quivered. Who could say that the man who agressed her was not around to try another time to hurt her?
*You're paranoid* she reprimanded herself but she hoped that Delfino would be able to give some details to the police.

"Liz! Oh my G-d Liz!" Kev exclaimed when he walked into the room.
"Don't worry Kev. I'm fine." she reassured him.
"Oh Lord! What happened to you?"

Completely overwhelmed, Kev sat down at the edge of the bed and squeezed her hands so passionately that Liz startled. Seeing that he was moved, she found the strength to joke.
"Seeing you head Kev, I think that I'll have to wait before I can admire mysefl in a mirror!"
"I'm so sad, you don't know how sad I'm. That's impossible...."
"Don't worry Kev. Within a few days, I'll be the same. The doctor told me."

"Are you sure?"
"If you continue like this Kev, you're going to kill me."
"I'm sorry Liz. I'm certainly too sensitive."
"You have to strengthen yourself, my friend."

"You're right Liz. I'm going to begin right now. Do you want me to call your insurance to declare the accident?"
"The accident?"
"You did have an accident, didn't you? When Isabel called me to tell that you were injured and when I saw that policeman at your door, I thought that he was there to help you to fill the insurance papers."

"There is a policeman at the door? Max didn't tell me."
"Max? Who's Max?"
"I mean Captain Evans. You saw him today."

"What does he have to do with that?"
"He came when I called after my agression in front of Delfino's house."
"You've been agressed?"

"I didn't have a car crash Kev. I've been agressed by a man, at least someone, in front of Delfino's house. I was there to bring him back the pen he forgot at the agency."
"You should have told me to do it. Nothing would happen. You should have been killed!"
"Please Kev! You're exagerating!"

"I'm not. Did you see what he did to you? I hope that, at least, you saw his face!"
"Nope. It was very dark outside. Anyway. He had a mask or something on his face. And everything happened very fast. What I remember is that he was tall and really strong."
"Ha! If I caught that brute!!" he said lifting his fist.

"I'm going to drive you to your home. While you'll go to bed, I'll prepare a bandage and some tea with ginger for you. That's good for nauseas. I always prepare that for my mom."
"Your mom is lucky with a son like you."
"Do you think so?"
"I'm sure Kev. For the moment, I need a nurse to help me to dress. Can you call one of them, please."

"At once Liz. And when you'll be ready, we'll go to your appartment. I'll stay all night long beside you. I'm sure that you have a couch for me."
"But, what about your mom?"
"A neighbour will take care of her."

Even if Kev was very kind and concerned, Liz was not so pleased to have him in her house for the night. She was not feeling well but she really wanted to stay alone and quiet.
"You're adorable, Kev. Thank you but....

Max was there, leaning against the door since a few seconds.
"I'll do it. I mean, I'll take care of Mrs Parker."

When she heard his voice, Liz's heart began to race......

TBC..IF YOU WANT IT................................................