Heir to the Granolith (AU-WA,CC,Mature) AN 9/30/05 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Heir to the Granolith Ch35 June20

Post by Adian »

Chapter 35
8 December 2019

The Chamberlain runs into the Interrogation room. “Sire! Sire, I have something you must see.” He inserts the disc and plays Liz’s message.

“People of Antar I am Queen Elizabeth wife of King Zan’s hybrid Max and mother to the true heir Rian...”

Tess begins ranting, “No, no, no! That bitch cannot still be alive I went to her fucking funeral!”

Impatient Khivar snaps, “Tess my love shut up!” He stops the disc and presses play so he can hear Liz speak. He drinks in every detail.

Once the recording is finished the Chamberlain says, “Sire I alerted the War Council and they should arrive within the hour.”

Khivar nods but remains lost in thought.

Unable to bear the silence Tess asks, “So what do we do now?”

“Damn that Alaric he has played this game so well I never knew he was on the board. If I were a sporting man I’d give in gracefully but I’m not. He planned it all so well and picked a true Queen. Beautiful, regal, loyal Liz has quietly been raising her son and forming her alliances. Oh well done Alaric!”

Tess screeches, “Will you quit congratulating that old stick in the mud and concentrate on what we are going to do now?”

Khivar looks upon Tess, “I didn’t do so well when it came to picking queens. I have you slutty, traitorous Tess hated by your husband, your son, and your people.”

“Khivar snap out of it! I need you to concentrate!”

“Tess have you not put all the pieces together yet? It is end game for you. Do you remember your oh so short wedding ceremony to Zan? You two were never married my troops killed you both before the ceremony was complete. On Earth, you got pregnant by Max but you never even thought to marry him. A stupid move on your part because it makes Zannor a bastard.”

“Khivar what is your point?”

“Tess do I have to spell it out for you? Your precious Zannor is a bastard. He will never be heir! Which means you both are absolutely worthless to me!”

Ashen Tess begins pleading for her life and Zannor’s.

“Tess dearest despite your protestations, avowals, and begging I remain unmoved. Max wherever he is isn’t even a player in this game. Liz is the ruling monarch and Rian her heir. Do you really think this Liz gives a damn about you or your son?”

“No but Max won’t let her kill Zannor.”

“The teenage Liz you knew has been queen for 20 years…”

Tess snidely cuts in, “Perfect Lizzie Parker killing her husbands son her child’s brother – I think not.”

“Liz wouldn’t still be queen if she couldn’t make the hard choices if she is smart Zannor’s death warrant is already signed. Zannor may still have some usefulness so he will live you however will not. Any last requests?”

“I want to say goodbye to my son.”

Smirking Khivar replies, “I’m afraid that’s impossible Zannor is a bit whipped. Don’t worry my dear I’ll pass along your regards.” Khivar lays his hand on her chest drawing out her power. “I was so looking forward to see you dancing on the wind but I will at least have the pleasure of killing you myself.” Tess begins screaming burning from the inside out.
Last edited by Adian on Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
The way, the truth, the life
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Heir to the Granolith Ch36 7/20

Post by Adian »

Author's note: Thanks for everyone's help in finding Michael and my wayward muse. I stole Michael back from Killian :D

Chapter 36
8 December 2019

Beta Site

Ava and Maria sit before a fire musing on the events of the past few days. Ava asks, “Have you talked to Liz yet?”

“No”

“Why not?”

“She has others who will take better care of her than I could.”

Confused Ava asks, “I thought you were best friends.”

Maria sighs, “All illusion that relationship ended years ago because I never listened. I would never do as she asked. Long ago Liz asked me to quit spinning fairy tales. I never understood why. I believed in the fairy tale that was Max and Liz.”

“Why you are such a big fan of Max’s all he has ever done is break Lizzie’s heart.”

“Max was always such a gentleman so thoughtful so romantic. I was jealous I wanted Michael to be like Max. I wanted the flowers the candlelight the romantic dates. What I got was Mr. Uncommunicative.”

“I knew the original King Zan, Zan, and Max all were driven by a core of selfishness. It was always about them their needs, wants, desires. As long as you agreed life was rosy but if you found any fault with a decision life got unpleasant. Truth, reality whatever you want to call it never mattered that much to any of them.”

“Liz once told me she wished that Max and I had fallen in love because I wanted his type of love so bad. She said I had no clue how lucky I was to have Michael.”

“She’s right you are lucky.”

Declan walks in and reports, “Mom everything is secure and the kids are bedded down.” Ava hides a smile at her son’s serious demeanor.

The comchannel squawks to life. “Mom! I need you in Siban’s room. She’s doing it again!”

Declan, Ava, and Maria run into the living quarters. They find Desmond cradling an unconscious Siban. Maria hits the comchannel and requests a healer. Declan helps Desmond move Siban onto the bed. Desmond gives his mom a hard look. “Mother she needs to be trained. I refuse to let you hide behind your fear any longer. This is Siban’s life and she doesn’t deserve this.”

Declan moves to stand beside his brother. “Dec and I have decided to contact Aunt Liz and get Siban the help she needs.”

“How dare you! She is my child and my responsibility!”

“Then be responsible and call Aunt Liz right now.”

“Fine!” Ava hits the comchannel. “This is Princess Ava I need a secure channel opened to the Queen.”

“At once princess.”

A few minutes later the connection goes through. Panicked Liz asks, “Ava what’s wrong?”

Ava hesitates and Desmond answers, “Aunt Liz it’s Desmond. Siban has had another vision.”

“Is she okay?”

“She is still unconscious. Dec and I are asking for your help on Siban’s behalf.”

“It is yours. I told Ava I would step in if she didn’t get help for her. Where is your mother?”

Ava answers, “Right here Liz.”

Her tone arctic she says, “I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Liz arrives accompanied by a priestess. Declan is waiting for her. “Dec has there been any change?”

“When I left the healer had just arrived. Come on let me take you to her.”

Desmond, Ava, and Maria are standing outside Siban’s quarters. “This is the Priestess Isra she will be Siban’s teacher.”

“Your majesty I need to speak with the healer.”

“Go ahead I have a few things to take care of here.” Liz waits for Isra to leave. “Did anyone hear the newest vision?”

Desmond answers, “I did and it was very disturbing. Final judgment is at hand…the Soul Drinker must be satisfied…Keeper’s child balance must be restored…a life given, a life taken…for only blood will slake it’s thirst.”

Desmond watches the color drain from Liz’s face with each word he utters.
Last edited by Adian on Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Heir to the Granolith Ch37 July25

Post by Adian »

***Thanks for all of the feedback. I know some of you are confused but bear with me all will be revealed! Just not in this chapter :lol: Adian***

Chapter 37
8 December 2019

Altir

Serena walks back in to the command center and reports; “Alex is playing the Coronation video.”

Alaric sighs, “So it has begun. We have a few matters to finish up.” He pulls some papers out of the desk. “I need for you to sign the warrants Liz and I already have.” Michael, Rian, Riona, and Rigan add their signatures to the royal death warrants for Khivar, Tess, and Zannor.

Riona asks, “What are we going to do about mom?”

Michael answers, “We will handle it as we always have.”

“Uncle Michael I feel guilty for being so happy when mom is so devastated.”

Rian adds, “As do I.”

Serena steps in, “Your mom wants your happiness more than anything. Knowing that your happy will help ease her heart.”

Riona begins to protest, “But…”

Michael cuts in and orders, “But nothing go be with your mates and give your mom some grand-babies to play with.”

Blushing hotly Rian and Riona leave. Rigan looks lost watching them go and Kyle takes pity on him. “Come on son we are going to need your help with Liz.”

“What do you need me to do?”

Kyle smiles, ”Once she arrives with the Granolith you are going to work a little alien voodoo and put her to sleep.”

“Are you insane? I can’t do that to mom.”

“Yes you can because she will be expecting it from one of us.”

“This is your great plan for easing her pain?”

Michael gives Rigan a cold stare. “Rigan we know your mother and how she deals with things. What she needs is time and sleep. Sleep will be her absolute last priority.”

“Uncle Michael we just started a war don’t we need her awake for that?”

“No the planning is all done and now it lies in the hands of the Fates.”

“But, but…”

Kyle gently adds, “Don’t take her strength for granted anyone can break. Your mom has been pushed past most people’s breaking point already.”

It becomes a moot point as Liz walks into the command center. Rigan looks at his mother for the first time with the blinders of childhood taken off. He sees how truly fragile his mother is. Rigan is taken aback by her ghastly pallor, the black circles beneath her bleak eyes. He sees how her clothing hangs off her tiny frame and without thought, he weaves sleep over her.

Michael catches her as she falls, “Thank you Rigan.”
Last edited by Adian on Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Timeline July 30

Post by Adian »

Hopefully this will end some confusion as to the timeline!

27 Nov 2019 Begins at Zannor's Naming Ceremony

28 Nov 2019 Ch 2-6

29 Nov 2019 Ch 7-14

30 Nov 2019 Ch 14-15

1 Dec 2019 Ch 16-18

2 Dec 2019 Ch 18-19

3 Dec 2019 Ch 20-21

4 Dec 2019 Ch 21-24

5 Dec 2019 Ch 24-26

6 Dec 2019 Ch 27-31

7 Dec 2019 Ch 32-33

8 Dec 2019 Ch 34-39
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Cast List Revised July 30

Post by Adian »

Cast by Family or by Location

Royal House of Antar:
Liz = Queen of Antar in exile
Max = Prince of the Blood Royal, Consort to Liz
Rian = Heir to the throne of Antar
Riona = Warlord for her brother Rian
Rigan = First Advisor to brother Rian
Isabel = Princess of the Blood Royal; sister to Max
Alex = husband to Isabel
Amergin = son of Isabel and Alex,
Mara and Ceara = twin daughters of Isabel and Alex

House of Fiamma
Lady Serena of House Fiamma = First cousin to Max and Isabel on Mother's side
Nicholas = brother to Serena, Khivar’s 2nd in Command, deceased

House of Rathnat
Michael = First Lord of War
Maria = wife of Michael
Mellan = betrothed to Rian; daughter of Michael & Maria
Aeden = son of Michael & Maria

Ava = Princess; daughter of Ruling Prince Cero
Kyle = husband of Ava
Declan and Desmond = twin sons of Ava & Kyle
Siban = daughter of Ava & Kyle

Alaric = First Advisor and High Priest of the Granolith
Isra = Priestess and Seer teacher to Siban
Lady Edana, Lords Galen and Vivek = Councilors to King Zan’s father

Antar
Khivar = Usurper of the Throne of Antar
Lisele of Anholt = Khivar’s first wife, mother of Thalia, deceased
Thalia = Khivar's daughter
Tess = Khivar's 2nd wife and Queen, mother of Zannor
Zannor = son of Tess and Max

Chamberlain = Khivar’s personal secretary
High Priest
Malik = Head Interrogator

Khivar’s War Council
Admiral Patal = Head of the space navies
General Eastmarch = Head of the planetary army
Lord Calyx = Intelligence
Lord Enochs, Head of House Dearborn = Commander of the Royal Guard
Lord Akard
Lord Tokala
Lord Pekod

Ruling Princes
Prince Cero
Prince Hannar
Princess Kathanna
Prince Larek

House of Jadenspear
Jascen = Head of House Jadenspear
Jade = Heir
Jaden = twin to Jade

House of Dearborn
Aquila = old Lord Dearborn, deceased
Enochs = Head of House Dearborn, supporter of Khivar

Queen’s Council
Alaric = First Advisor
Riona = War Leader, Princess of the Blood Royal
Rigan = Healer, Prince of the Blood Royal
Serena = Spymaster, Head of House Fiamma
Isabel = Princess of the Blood Royal
Alex = Intelligence
Kyle = Security
Ava and Maria are councilors

Rian as Heir has a functioning advisory council in replica to Liz's. Some of them like Amergin have not fully grown into the roles they will have as adults. Usually the position of First Advisor goes to a sibling of the Heir. Riona's talents and personality suited the position of Warlord better than Rigan. Rigan as a healer fit the First Advisor capacity in mind and talent.

Rian’s Council
Riona = Warlord to Rian
Rigan = First Advisor to Rian
Mellan = betrothed to Rian
Amergin = Bard and Spy
Declan and Desmond = Warriors
Siban = Seer
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Heir to the Granolith Ch38 July 30

Post by Adian »

****Author's Note: The timeline breakdown is at the bottom of page 16. I am about to start throwing a bunch of names at you again so in the ost above I thoughtfully provided a revised Cast list to refresh your memories. Now on to the story!****

Chapter 38
8 December 2019

Antar

Khivar enters the war room surprised at how few nobles are assembled. “Lord Calyx status report?”

“Sire we have been at war just under an hour. Antar is in chaos riots have broken out in all of the major cities. The garrisons are too afraid to go out in the city and try to bring order. Several of the major free cities have declared out right for Queen Elizabeth.”

Khivar snaps, “The pretender Elizabeth!”

Lord Calyx gulps, “Ah yes the pretender Elizabeth.”

“Well which cities?”

“Sihra, Patara, Meador, and Arioch.”

“Which cities have declared for me?”

“None sire.”

Khivar frowns and asks, “Which Houses have declared for me?”

“Houses Calyx, Dearborn, Akard, Tokala, and Pekod.”

Khivar notes that only the lords sitting before him have declared for him. Bracing for more bad news he asks, “Ruling Princes?”

“Princess Kathana. Hanar is sitting on the fence as usual.”

Khivar turns to the only military officer present. “Admiral Patal how are the space navies acquitting themselves?”

Admiral Patal turns on the space map of the solar system. “The space ports and bases highlighted in red are under attack. The yellow ones have declared or surrendered to the Pretender Elizabeth. The green ones are controlled by your forces or your allies.”

Khivar watches in anger as more dots go from red to yellow. “Where is General Eastmarch?”

Lord Calyx answers, “Sire we have been unable to locate him.”

“Joy…find his second in command we need to know how what shape the planets defenses are in. Elizabeth and Rian are coming here. Chamberlain find anyone of rank in the army and get them over here now.”

“At once sire.”

“We need to find a weakness to exploit. Rian will be to heavily guarded and we need leverage. We need something to bring Elizabeth’s biggest supporters to their knees. I want to know about Rath and Vilondra’s personal lives. When the attempt was made on Rath and his human mate, she was pregnant. Children would be the best hostages but spouses will do.”

Lord Calyx asks, “What of Zannor?”

“Max was not shown on the holocam but he was recently freed from his prison. If Max is with them Zannor may prove useful but I doubt it will sway Elizabeth much.”

Admiral Patal grins, “Maybe not but her home life will be hellish because of it.”

The Chamberlain walks in; “Sire I’m sorry to interrupt but Lady Jadenspear and Princess Kathana have both arrived.”

“Can this day get any worse? Chamberlain settle them into their rooms and I’ll see Kathana first.”

“As you will sire.”
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Heir to the Granolith Ch39 Aug 4

Post by Adian »

Chapter 39
8 December 2019

Earth

Max doesn’t even finish looking at the information Liz has compiled on Zannor. He storms out of his quarters running into Isabel. “Max what’s wrong?”

“Liz. She insists I choose her children over my own son! I can’t let that happen I have to save Zannor. I haven’t been there for him his entire life but I can save him from death.”

“Come on let’s go back into your room and chat. I take it the talk didn’t go well?”

“That’s an understatement. I told her I deserved the chance to make decisions for myself to decide what I truly want. Not be forced into a role by her, the Granolith, or other versions of me.”

Isabel smiles, “Good for you! How did she take it?”

Max starts pacing the room. “She just whined about all the sacrifices she made as if we all hadn’t! I love her but sometimes she is exasperating. It’s obvious all the pressure of ruling is getting to her it is time for her to step down and let me do my job. I ordered her not to harm Zannor.”

He stops in front of her eyes shining, “Isabel I am so lucky I have been given a second chance to reclaim my throne and my family. I have a chance to redeem myself in my son’s eyes to let him experience true parental love.”

“Max what about what Lady Edana said of Zannor?”

“Isabel he is my son! I finally have the chance to have the family I’ve always dreamed of. There has to be a way to have it all Zannor, Liz, her children, and maybe a child of our own. But we first need to rescue our sons”

“Actually I was coming to get you Lady Edana and the lords are ready to see us again.”

Max smiles broadly, “Let’s not keep them or our kingdom waiting any longer Iz.”

Full of purpose Max enters the meeting room with Isabel on his arm. Lady Edana, Lord Galen, and Lord Vivek all stand and bow to their rulers. Max sighs in satisfaction. “My lords and lady we have much to accomplish I would like to hear your thoughts on rescuing Zannor, finding Amergin, and how to handle my declaration.”

Lord Galen begins, “Sire I’d like to begin with finding Amergin. With Princess Isabel’s permission I would like to distribute Amergin’s picture among our agents so he can be found.”

Isabel beams, “As soon as the meeting is over come to my quarters.”

“Yes your highness.”

Lord Vivek takes over. “As for Zannor our latest intelligence still has him confined to his quarters. My people have come up with several plans for braking him out. What I need to know is where you want him taken after. Is he coming to Earth? If so how do I get him here? Is your wife going to teleport him here or do I need to find a ship willing to travel to Earth?”

“I am declaring in less than two weeks. I think I should meet him on Antar or one of the neighboring planets. I'll have to talk to Liz to see when we can get everyone teleported. We are going to need to arrive early to set a base of operations up.”

“Sire when do you want to set the plan in motion?”

“A few days before the declaration we don’t want to tip Khivar off to what we are planning.”

Lady Edana jumps in, “Sire for the declaration we are going to need the Crown of Chastil. Do you know where your wife keeps the crown?”

“Yes it is in her quarters. Is there anything else we need to go over about the declaration.”

“Sire only matters of protocol.”
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Heir to the Granolith Ch40 Aug 13

Post by Adian »

Chapter 40
9 December 2019

Altir

Rian, Riona, and Rigan find themselves barred from their mother’s rooms. They go in search of Serena and Michael. “Serena we need to talk to you. The guards are refusing us entry to mom’s rooms.”

“I know. Michael gave the order he is in there waiting for her to awaken.”

“Why?”

“Because he is her best friend because he knows the depth of betrayal your mother is feeling. For it is his brother and sister, that did the betraying. He can keep your mother from the worst of her despair and self recrimination.”

Inside Liz wakens to find Michael’s troubled gaze upon her. He is frightened by the bleakness in her eyes. “You’re killing yourself with the pace you are setting. The rest of us are here to help ease your burdens.”

“I know.” Liz’s eyes fill with tears. “Michael I love him and I don’t understand what have I done that is so wrong. I’ve done everything for him and it is not enough.” Michael enfolds her in his arms trying to soothe her.

Voice cracking she continues, “I am not enough. Michael I love him I just want to be loved by him. Why is it so hard? Why is my love not enough? For love of him, I walked away from my dreams, my friends, and my family. I became an alien, an alien queen at that. I’m a changed human queen of a race that looks down upon me. I’ve had to fight every step of the way to ensure the safety of my children of my friends. I’m tired…so tired of fighting of being alone. I’ve been alone for twenty years Michael! I am tired of being lonely of not having anyone to love. Max said he was carried away by the happiness of being free, alive, and with his family. He wants to save Zannor and bring that monster into the family fold. He said…he said that he knew Zannor was his because he was a full participant.”

Michael growls out, “That bastard!”

At almost a whisper Liz says, “With me he only knows what the Granolith showed him of that other life. Michael he is denying me and our children…”

Michael holds her as she is wracked with sobs. Eventually she pulls out of his embrace. “I’ve spent over half my life without Max and yet everything in my life comes back to him. I’ve been thinking about that caring gentle boy I fell in love with. It used to comfort me that at least one version of me got the fairytale. In that first future, the boy grew into an amazing man-a healer. He dedicated his life to it he was a wonderful doctor. But Max had ignored the rest of his alien heritage so thoroughly that when the war came he did not have it in him to lead much less fight a war. He came back to me from the future and I broke that gentle soul. I have seen what he became in the other timeline and this one and knowing that it was my actions that lead to his downfall kills me.”

“Liz it is not your fault.”

Liz automatically dismisses his protest. “It is so frustrating with no one else knowing the events of the timelines. The Granolith has shown me the timelines where Max never saved me and it still turned out bad. But it doesn’t change the fact that I was the catalyst for the changes in Max. I blame myself for the changes that lead to his destruction.”

Michael grabs her chin forcing her to look at him. “Liz the fault lies with Tess, Khivar, and Max himself. He made those decisions he doomed himself and the rest of us. You saved us and for the first time, we have an actual shot at freeing Antar. We have all experienced Max’s decision-making capability and he never would have gotten us this far. There is a reason why I willingly serve you and not Max.”

“Why?”

“Because you always act from the right. Being queen isn’t something you ever wanted. You are not interested in power, politics or any of the other trappings that come with the job. You value life. You are concerned for the people of Antar. I know how much it is killing your soul to send people to their deaths to achieve Antar’s freedom. You value me in every aspect; you have saved me literally and figuratively and that is why I will follow wherever you lead.”
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Heir to the Granolith Ch 41 May 4

Post by Adian »

Cast by Family or by Location

Royal House of Antar:
Riona = Warlord for her brother Rian
Rigan = First Advisor to brother Rian
Isabel = Princess of the Blood Royal; sister to Max
Alex = husband to Isabel
Amergin = son of Isabel and Alex,
Mara and Ceara = twin daughters of Isabel and Alex

House of Fiamma
Lady Serena of House Fiamma = First cousin to Max and Isabel on Mother's side
Nicholas = brother to Serena, Khivar’s 2nd in Command, deceased

House of Rathnat
Maria = wife of Michael
Mellan = betrothed to Rian; daughter of Michael & Maria
Aeden = son of Michael & Maria

Ava = Princess; daughter of Ruling Prince Cero
Kyle = husband of Ava
Declan and Desmond = twin sons of Ava & Kyle
Siban = daughter of Ava & Kyle

Alaric = First Advisor and High Priest of the Granolith
Isra = Priestess and Seer teacher to Siban
Lady Edana, Lords Galen and Vivek = Councilors to King Zan’s father

Antar
Khivar = Usurper of the Throne of Antar
Lisele of Anholt = Khivar’s first wife, mother of Thalia, deceased
Thalia = Khivar's daughter
Tess = Khivar's 2nd wife and Queen, mother of Zannor
Zannor = son of Tess and Max

Chamberlain = Khivar’s personal secretary
High Priest
Malik = Head Interrogator

Khivar’s War Council
Admiral Patal = Head of the space navies
General Eastmarch = Head of the planetary army
Lord Calyx = Intelligence
Lord Enochs, Head of House Dearborn = Commander of the Royal Guard
Lord Akard
Lord Tokala
Lord Pekod

Ruling Princes
Prince Cero
Prince Hannar
Princess Kathanna
Prince Larek

House of Jadenspear
Jascen = Head of House Jadenspear
Jade = Heir
Jaden = twin to Jade

House of Dearborn
Aquila = old Lord Dearborn, deceased
Enochs = Head of House Dearborn, supporter of Khivar

Queen’s Council
Alaric = First Advisor
Riona = War Leader, Princess of the Blood Royal
Rigan = Healer, Prince of the Blood Royal
Serena = Spymaster, Head of House Fiamma
Isabel = Princess of the Blood Royal
Alex = Intelligence
Kyle = Security
Ava and Maria are councilors

Rian as Heir has a functioning advisory council in replica to Liz's. Some of them like Amergin have not fully grown into the roles they will have as adults. Usually the position of First Advisor goes to a sibling of the Heir. Riona's talents and personality suited the position of Warlord better than Rigan. Rigan as a healer fit the First Advisor capacity in mind and talent.

Rian’s Council
Riona = Warlord to Rian
Rigan = First Advisor to Rian
Mellan = betrothed to Rian
Amergin = Bard and Spy
Declan and Desmond = Warriors
Siban = Seer

Author's Note: I thought you guys might need a refresher on who is who in this tale. I'm not finished but I decided to post anyway. I'm curious to know what you will think of it and I know you want to know what's going to happen so I'm ending the suspense on all our parts.

Enjoy!

Adian

<center>Heir to the Granolith</center>

Chapter 41

Antar

City of Caraceni at the Royal Palace

Admiral Patal is searching for Khivar to update him on the latest statistics of the war but is distracted by the enchanting music he hears. Stopping in the entryway of Lady Jadenspear's solar he is surprised to find most of Khivar's cabinet assembled. More shocking is Khivar's lack of decorum he is being very obvious in his attentions to Lady Jade in front of Princess Kathana's representatives. He knows the Princess will not be pleased to hear of this indiscretion on Khivar's part.

Khivar notices his arrival and waves him toward an empty divan. Patal admires the room which is decorated in a soothing mix of blues, greens, and silver a perfect frame for Lady Jade's beauty. Knowing he might soon meet his end he savors the moment leaving his senses wide open to enjoy sinking into the silky lushness of the divan. Patal lets the pure notes of the bard's music wash away the weariness of his soul. An attendant saunters over with a plate of delicacies to tempt his palate. He bites into the ripe hothouse fruit uncaring of the juices running down his chin. The tangy coolness a balm to his churning stomach.

All too soon, Lord Calyx bursts into the solar breaking the spell. "Sire I need to speak with you immediately."

Glowering at Lord Calyx, Khivar moves out of Jade's embrace. "I asked for an hour's peace and you are interrupting it for what reason?"

"Hopefully to add to it. Our spies have received an image of Vilandra’s son. He is here on a recon mission."

"Let me see it," he says grabbing the vid screen out of Lord Calyx's hands. Viewing the image, a look of dark exultation covers his face.

"Calyx have some guards stationed outside the room by the windows. Order the guards to kill anyone who tries to leave by them. Alert the guards in the hall it seems our singer has a royal pedigree."

Smiling in satisfaction Khivar resumes his seat next to Jade. She whispers, "What was that about?"

"It's a surprise. Let's just sit back and enjoy this wondrous bard you have discovered."

Altir

Liz's Quaters

“Michael promise me whatever happens you will support Rian.”

Gazing at her tear stained face he says gruffly, “Don’t talk nonsense I won’t let anything happen to you.”

Grabbing his wet shirt front she pleads, “Michael promise me, promise me. You are the strongest man I know. Rian is going to need that strength in the days to come.”

Apprehensive he asks, “What have you seen?”

“Nothing but Siban has had another vision.”

Exasperated he asks, “And you were going to tell me when?”

“I’d tell you right now if you would quit with the questions.”

Sensing her reluctance, he prods, “Well?”

Sighing she repeats Siban’s vision. “Final judgment is at hand…the Soul Drinker must be satisfied…Keeper’s child balance must be restored…a life given, a life taken…for only blood will slake it’s thirst.”

Confused Michael asks, “What the hell does that mean?”

“Two things…one that the battle with Khivar will be the final one.” Liz lowers her gaze from his unwilling to go on.

Michael gently lifts her face up and questions, “And the second?”

“The Royal Family of Antar owes the Granolith a blood-debt. Someone in our family is going to die as payment."

Unbelieving he stutters, “no, no…I don’t believe it.”

“The first king of Zan’s line ‘Rian the Founder’ made a blood-oath to the Granolith. Every ruler since the founding has sworn the same oath. By the time of Zan’s coronation it was believed to be a mere formality just another ancient tradition associated with the crowning ceremony. The Granolith believes the Royal House of Antar has failed in its duties to itself and the realm. The Granolith is claiming blood-price so Rian’s line will never forget its vows again.”

Michael explodes, “Bloody fucking hell! How long have you known?”

Liz bends her head hiding behind a curtain of hair. “Not long I communed with the Granolith after I heard Siban’s vision.”

Hesitant he asks, “Do you know who?”

Her voice quavering she answers, “I know who it is not.”

Michael studies her face. New lines have appeared around the eyes, a new crease on the forehead but the starkest change is the utter despair in her gaze. The woman facing him has been broken. “Liz what have you done?”

Liz faces him as she would her executioner and confesses, “I made a bargain. I traded the life of one child for another…Rian is safe in exchange for the babe I now carry.”

Stunned, furious Michael begins ranting, “Damn it haven’t you given up enough? How much more is the Granolith going to ask of you? Why can’t the Granolith play fair for once and take that miserable excuse of a human being Max in payment? If someone has to pay for this mess let it be the reincarnated clone of the imbecile who started it all!” Michael stills his face becoming a hard mask. “Considering the price you are having to pay did the Granolith at least guarantee us a victory?”

Quietly she answers, “No. Only that it would be the end.”

Michael demands, “Then I want to talk to the Granolith we’re going to make a new deal.”

“Michael I made the same oath! I can’t go back on my vow or we will all die. Khivar will win and Antar will be doomed. The Granolith is demanding blood-price am I supposed to ask for a volunteer? The Granolith won’t accept Max or Isabel they are tainted. Am I supposed to choose Amergin or the twins? They’re still children! Am I supposed to choose between the two counselors Rian needs most? Or do I give up the child who is still pure, innocent of this world?”

“But how are you going to survive the choice you’ve made?”

Kathy nee Sablaine- There aren't enough ways to thank you for your help on this project and other areas. Adian
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita
Adian
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Heir to the Granolith Ch 42 May 14

Post by Adian »

Many thanks to Sablaine for her excellent beta work and support!

Chapter 42 10 December 2019

Antar

City of Caraceni at the Royal Palace

Amergin regains consciousness in unfamiliar surroundings. He is startled by a voice coming out of the darkness. "Awake at last are ye? His highness will be pleased. I hear ye put up quite a fight for such a stick of a boy. Torvin is looking to have another go around with ye. That's iffin' his highness leaves him anything to play with."

Amergin interrupts, "Why am I here?"

The guard shrugs, "Dunno you usually have to piss his highness off royally to end up in the hole. But himself looked downright gleeful 'bout you."

"I'm just a bard."

"Makes no differ ye down here all ta same. I gotta tell the Cap'n ye awake."

"Could I get something to eat or drink?"

"Nah I'll just have ta clean it up later." Amergin's stomach clenches at the guard’s matter-of-factness.

A few minutes later the Guard Captain arrives with six soldiers in tow. He begins bellowing out orders,
"On your feet boy! Torvin chain him."

Torvin smiles as he approaches and makes sure the cuffs are extra tight before leading Amergin out of the cell. Amergin is faintly amused by the amount of guards deemed needed to escort him. Two in front two in back and one on each side with the Guard Captain in the lead.

"So where are you taking me?"

Torvin turns around and backhands him across the mouth. "You are not to speak unless ordered to."

The guards prod him in the back to get him moving again. They trod steadily downward the air becomes staler, mustier. Eventually they come to the end of the corridor to a door flanked by two guards. The guards confer quietly with the Captain before opening the massive door. Amergin freezes as the distinctive odor of burnt flesh wafts through the doorway. The two guards behind him push him forward causing him to stumble into the room. He regains his balance only to lose it again at the grizzly sight before him. The burnt remains of some poor soul hang from the ceiling in chains.

Malik, Khivar's head interrogator enters by a side door. He slowly walks around Amergin sizing him up. In a conversational manner, he begins talking. "Welcome to my domain Prince Amergin. I am Malik. I would like to introduce you to the rooms other occupant," with a wave of his hand he gestures to the hanging remains, "your cousin Zannor."

Malik seems disappointed at his lack of reaction. "You must forgive his poor manners Zannor is a trifle indisposed at the moment." At Amergin's look of disbelief he adds, "Zannor is still alive, barely. His talent is healing and he has just enough energy left that he keeps himself alive. A painful conundrum as to how long his art will keep him alive.”

"But enough of Zannor this is all about you. I had him left here to instill the proper motivation in you. We can do this the easy way or," pointing at Zannor, "the hard way. It would pain me greatly to harm the fair Vilandra's son. She's rather desperate to have you safely at home. She even thoughtfully provided a picture of you to make the process easier."

Malik enjoys the stunned look on Amergin's face at the last bit of information. "It seems your mother and uncle Zan are in the process of overthrowing your Aunt Elizabeth. All the infighting between the leadership of the rebellion has caused the movement to fracture. Khivar's forces are trouncing the pitiful efforts put forth by General Rath."

Amergin shouts, "I don't believe you!"

Malik shrugs, "Believe what you will. It soon won't matter it will all be over. My lord Khivar just wants a story from you a ghost story in fact." Malik smiles at Amergin's disbelief.

Suspicious Amergin asks, "What does he want to know?"

"He wants to know how it is that ghosts are roaming the Whirlwind Galaxy much less making war upon him. He wants to know how Elizabeth became queen. How Rath and Vilandra are alive?"

"Why should I tell him? What good will it do me?"

Malik holds back a smile knowing he just about has Amergin. "If you are cooperative Khivar will be generous."

"Why should I trust someone who murdered my family in their first life and is trying to kill them a second time?"

"Because Khivar needs you. He has a proposition for you. Marry his daughter Thalia and he will let you live. In fact if you do so today he will call for a truce with your family. If they will resign their rights to the Throne of Antar and go back into exile on Earth he will let them live. You would be the savior of billions. The war would be over and eventually a son of the line of Zan would be back on the throne."

Amergin is dumbfounded by the offer and has no idea how to respond. "And if I refuse?"

Malik lets his true nature surface to answer the question. "Then you will die."

For the first time in his life, Amergin is truly scared to the core of his being. His choices are death or becoming a traitor like his mother.
Read my stories:

Heir to the Granolith

Stranger In My Own Life

Via, Veritas, Vita