Forever and a Day (AU,M/L,ADULT) Part 24 - 5/4 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever & a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult- A/N on pg 15 -(2/18)

Post by kay_b »

I'm baaack. Sorry that was lame, I know. Again, I want to apologize for the long delay though I feel like I should probably shut up and just post. But really, I am sorry, I do wish the parts would come faster but this fic keeps getting stuck (for lack of a better word).

I just hope you'll enjoy reading this new installment and thank you for sticking with me. You have no idea how grateful I am for all the feedback and the bumps. Thank you.

~*~*~*~*~

CHAPTER TWENTY
Needless to say, the rest of the lunch was spent in silence, with each of the Evans family member mulling over their thoughts.

Philip wore a grin the entire time since he returned to the table. He was curious at first when he saw Isabel pouting. Diane only gave him a curious glance, which he responded to with a smirk. That was their own form of communication when they didn’t want their children to know what was going on. Diane wanted to know what had happened and his gesture signified that he would tell her after the kids had left.

Then returning to Isabel, Philip already knew what had happened there. She wanted to listen in through the door, and Diane beat their daughter to her intentions and stopped her from what she was planning on doing. It wasn’t a surprise really; both he and Diane had always known that whoever child wasn’t being scolded in the office had one ear glued to the door trying to listen in on the conversation that was taking place inside.

Both Michael and Max wore identical scowls on their faces. And who wouldn’t? They were all grown up and yet their father had reprimanded them as if they were ten years old. Add to that, they now had to work together.

Looking at the faces of his family, Philip could only suppress a laugh at his children’s antics. Yes, some things never did change.

After the kids had left, Diane had to grill her husband for details.

“Oh Philip, you didn’t.” Diane sighed, letting him know what she thought of his plan.

“Of course I did. It was a fabulous idea. Now they’ll be forced to work together. I doubt they would sabotage each other since it would only cause them to lose their girls more.” Philip defended.

Diane just laughed, Philip didn’t know how truly alike he was to his sons. “You have no idea what Max and Michael are truly capable of.”
Once lunch was done, Max and Michael were more than eager to leave. Both boys bid their parents goodbye, and got into their respective vehicles; Michael in his Escalade and Max on his Ducati.

However, unlike Michael, Max didn’t head for home. He went over next door. Unfortunately, Liz was still out on the latest catering gig.

Max allowed himself in, a habit that he had no intention of breaking. He was deciding on whether he should call Liz or not but chose the latter because he might just distract her from her work. He had already pulled out his cellphone while he juggled with the idea of contacting her and he almost dropped it when it suddenly rang.

Looking at the caller ID, he was a bit baffled that his brother’s name flashed on the monitor. Bringing up the phone to his ear, he answered the call. “What?”

“We gotta talk.” Michael replied.

“Yeah, wouldn’t that be why you would call? So talk.” Max said harshly.

“I know you’re pissed—”

“You think?” Max said sardonically.

“Look, Max, I did some thinking and…” Max could hear Michael sigh from where he was, “…you and Dad were right.”

“You’re just figuring that out now?” Max’s tone was evident of his anger.

“I’m trying to apologize, alright?” Now Michael too, was raising his voice.

Silence came from the other end and he knew that Max was ready to listen.

“I’m sorry, ok? I’m sorry. I just…I don’t know what to do.” Michael spoke softly.

“Apologize to Maria”, was Max’s calm response.

“She wouldn’t even answer my calls.”

Max had to exhale loudly. His brother screwed up and it might be that one mistake that would cause him misery for the rest of his life. He believed in soul mates and love everlasting. Max knew that it was Liz for him, and he had an inkling that Maria was it for Michael.

He also knew that if it was the other way around, not that he would be stupid enough to commit the exact mistake Michael did nor would he ever contemplate something similar, he would want someone to extend him the same help that he was offering his brother now.

“Is she in town?” Max inquired.

Michael nodded his head then spoke his reply since Max couldn’t see him.

“Ok, I’ll go see her.” Max said.

To that Michael was stunned. His brother was unmistakably furious with him but he was willing to set that aside to help him get back his fiancée.

“Michael, you there?”

“Yeah, yeah I am.” Michael had to shake his head to clear his thoughts. “Max, I’m really sorry about what happened the other day.”

“Forget it, Mike.”

“No, really, I shouldn’t have blown up at you like that.” Michael insisted.

“It’s over, Michael. I’ll just go over to Maria’s right now. I’ll call you later.” Max picked up his keys and was already out the door.

“Thanks, man. I owe you.”

“Oh you bet your ass you do.” Max ended the call and hopped on his bike. Shortly after securing his helmet, he sped off.
Maria was mulling over the idea of leaving. She knew it was a mistake to come home and be near one Michael Guerin Evans. But then again, she didn’t want her heartbreak splattered all over the tabloids, which she knew was bound to happen. If she were to heal her shattered heart outside the comfort of her own home, the paparazzi would most definitely be on her tail, taking crappy shots of her being a sobbing mess. At least in her house, anyone who would dare trespass would be incarcerated.

What she didn’t count on though was someone ringing the doorbell when she wasn’t expecting a visit from anyone. Are the photographers growing some manners now?

Her housekeeper interrogated the visitor through the intercom. She then informed Maria who it was which garnered a dumbfounded look from the singing superstar.

Then she had this glint in her eye showing off the anger that was boiling beneath the surface, but still told her housekeeper to let him in.

As Max walked inside Maria’s huge mansion, his heartbroken, possible future sister-in-law met him halfway.

“You!” Maria pointed at him.

“Hey, Maria.” Max greeted, though he was a little bit confused by her not-so-forthcoming welcoming.

“Don’t you ‘hey Maria’ me. You knew, didn’t you?” she accused.

Max looked away guiltily for just a second, but it was enough of an answer for Maria.

“How dare you? After I helped you get back home early to Liz, you didn’t even think I should have been told about what Michael was doing?” Maria yelled.

Max had to wince at that. Though to his defense, he had no idea that Michael was doing…whatever it was he was doing. “Maria, look. I didn’t know Michael was with someone. We went to a club that night but I left early.”

“So you left him alone.” Maria concluded.

Max’s lips thinned to a grim line. “Yeah, but I didn’t think he would cheat on you.”

“So he did sleep with someone?!” Maria asked, appalled.

“No. He said he didn’t.” Max pleaded.

Maria had to sigh. She had to sit down and since they were in her living room, she took the couch closest to her. She was wearing her pajamas but she still looked beautiful, as if everything was right in her world. The only clue as to how skewed it really was, were in her eyes. Her usual bright and cheery self had dimmed; Max saw that first thing after walking in her home.

“I’m really sorry, Maria.” Max said, taking the couch opposite her.

“Why? It’s not you who did anything wrong.” Maria replied as she stifled a sob.

“Maybe if I had dragged him back to the hotel with me, this wouldn’t have happened.” Max thought out loud.

“Max, I’ve known you for…God knows how long, do you really think Michael would’ve left?” she asked with one sculpted eyebrow raised.

Max shook his head, “no, I guess not.”

“He’s a big boy, he knew what he was doing. He was thinking of just himself, that egotistical bastard.” Maria was angry once more. She had been switching back and forth, from feeling heartache and fury. “He didn’t even bother to think how I would feel! Or what it would do to me if it leaked out to the press! Does he even acknowledge the fact that I would be made to look like a fool after that stunt of his?”

Max reached over and squeezed his friend’s right arm. He hated his brother for what he did. But what’s done is done. Hopefully, he could help these two out and get them to reunite.

“I know he’s sorry, Maria. He’s been trying to call you to apologize.” Max explained.

Maria looked at her boyfriend’s brother seriously, “Tell me, Max, do you believe that he didn’t sleep with anyone?”

Max gazed back into his friend’s green eyes and answered just as sincerely, “I believe him.” He knew that although Michael may have been moronic enough to go back to his room with someone other than Maria, he wouldn’t have slept with any other woman. Michael used to play around with numerous girls who would throw themselves at his feet, not one of them he slept with once Maria got in the picture.

Even before she and his brother got together, Michael somehow “lost his touch” as he called it. It was easy for them to get any girl they wanted, and during their younger years, they did. But when they met Maria at one of her video shoots where they were included in the roster of guys that she would be acting with, Michael was hooked.

Then, just as suddenly as the idea of going over to Maria’s house sprouted in his mind, he had a way to have Maria get back at Michael. He grinned slowly and Maria knew that he was up to no good.

“What are you thinking?” she had to ask.

“What if you give him a dose of his own medicine?” Max smirked.

Maria had narrowed her eyes as she looked at her friend. “O-kay,” she said reluctantly. “How are we going to do that?”

“Fool around with someone else?” Max easily suggested.

Maria was quick to give her reply, “No, no! I’m not going to stoop down to his level. Maybe that works for the two of you but not for me.”

“It’s the only way he’ll learn his lesson.” Max added.

“Think of something else.” Maria demanded.

Max had to pause, ‘what else is there?’

Maria rolled her eyes; she couldn’t believe that she was in her living room with her fiancé’s brother conjuring up ways to get revenge.

“Alright, what if you don’t really fool around with anyone but make him think that you are.” Max said.

“How do we manage to come up with that one?”

“Easy. I’ll tell him that when I got here, some guy just left before you let me in. Like he was leaving sneakily, trying not to get noticed or caught, get it?”

Maria hesitated but after chewing on the idea some more, she smiled. “Max Evans, I wouldn’t want to know what else lurks in your mind, but I have to say, I think I like that plan.”

Max could only laugh inwardly. Now Michael will really get a taste of what he did to Maria. Maybe then he’d learn his lesson.
Michael was anxious to know what Max and Maria had talked about. He had been pacing his living room for the past thirty minutes and absentmindedly had started chewing on his nails.

Max decided to turn off his mobile, knowing that his brother would be calling him every hour. Instead, he opted to drop by Michael’s house and tell him the news.

The minute Max parked his bike on his brother’s driveway; Michael was already walking out the door and heading straight for him.

Max took off his helmet and hung it on the bike’s handlebar. He then got a closer look at Michael and saw that he was nervous which caused him to feel guilty… a little bit. Just as quickly as that pang of guilt assailed him, he also remembered what Michael did and he was certain that he was doing the right thing. It was high time that Michael got the shorter end of the stick.

Max gave him a grim smile and sighed heavily. “I’m sorry, man.”

“What happened?” Michael asked hurriedly.

Max shrugged as he walked into his brother’s place, Michael was right behind his heels. “Maria’s royally pissed at you. She almost chewed my head off as well. But that’s not the worst part…” Max trailed.

“What else could be so bad?” Michael almost whined.

Max gave him a pitying look and that made Michael feel like the earth was about to open up and swallow him whole.

“I think she’s started seeing someone else.”

tbc...
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever & a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult- A/N on page 17 - (5.19)

Post by kay_b »

A/N: Thank you so much for all your bumps....

~*~*~*~

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
“I think she’s started seeing someone else.”

Those were the last words Michael had hoped to hear.

“Are…are you serious?” Michael stammered, halting in his tracks.

Max shook his head to the contrary, giving Michael some semblance of hope. “I’m not sure if it was that, but just as I drove through the gate, there was some fancy car leaving.”

“What kind of car?” Michael asked as he grabbed on to the nearby couch and sat.

“It was a blue Maserati.” Max replied, watching Michael’s expressions closely.

Michael blanched; he didn’t know any of Maria’s guy friends that owned a car like that. “You sure?”

Max only raised a brow, asking his brother silently if he was doubting what he saw.

“Fuck!” Michael yelled in anger. “How could she do this?”

Max sat down, taking his brother’s place on the couch after he watched him get up from his seat to pace like a caged animal. He wasn’t worried if Mike got furious, serves him right. Besides, it’s not like he’d do any harm to Max, he was his informant right now. He needed him.

Michael swiftly turned to regard his brother. “Did you get a good look at the guy?”

Answering with a grimace, Max said, “Nah, I only saw the car.”

“So it could still be just another girlfriend.” Michael defended, praying silently that it was.

Max had to take a step back, he can’t have his brother placated now; he was enjoying the show too much. “Dude, how many girls do you know that owns a sweet ride like that?”

Michael just stared and realized how true his brother’s statement was. “FUCK!”

Max had to hide the smirk he was sporting or else his and Maria’s plans will all be futile. However that didn’t stop him from rubbing more salt in his brother’s wounds.

“Why are you pissed? Didn’t you do the same thing?” Max interrupted Michael’s pacing.

Michael whirled around to face Max and determinedly answered, “No!”

“What? What do you mean, ‘no’? Explain to me how this is different.” Max demanded.

“I did not bring any woman to my house!” Michael bellowed.

Max had to the gall to look surprised, clearly not believing a single word.

“I mean it”, Michael added after lowering his voice down. “Sure, I’ve made out with women in hotel rooms but never here, except Maria.”

Max raised his hands in a sign of surrender, “Ok”, he said disgusted. “That is just too much info, bro.”

“How could she do this to me?” Michael inquired to no one.

At that, Max’s ears were ringing. “Excuse me, how could she do this to you? You? Are you even hearing yourself?”

“I know, what I did was wrong. And yes, maybe I deserve this…maybe.” Michael thought out loud. “But I never pegged her to be so vindictive.”

“Are we referring to the same Maria Deluca here?” Max asked as his lips thinned condescendingly.

Michael sighed as he took a place beside his younger brother. “You’re right. This is exactly what she’d do to get back at me.” He placed his head in his hands; worrying at the predicament he was in. Then he turned his head and looked at his brother pleadingly once more, “What am I going to do?”
Max walked into Liz’s house with a grin on his handsome face. When he saw the catering van parked on her driveway, he knew she was back and probably relaxing after a hard day’s work.

He was right with that assumption when he saw her on her bed, eyes closed and just breathing, though it wasn’t too deep to signify that she was sleeping.

So he plopped himself right beside her as he lied on his side, just watching.

“What’s got you so happy?” Liz asked.

The minute the door opened, she knew who it was because Bailey didn’t bark. She also knew that he would be seeking her out as she heard footsteps heading straight for her bedroom. She had lied down just a couple of minutes ago, wanting to let the weariness seep out of her pores.

Yes she was only 28 and yet she felt like she had worked for 50 years. She felt tired and wondered how long she could keep working like this. Running the restaurant wasn’t that difficult. But add to it the catering gigs, it was proving to be more demanding than she originally thought.

“How did the job go?” Max asked back.

“Didn’t I ask you first? Don’t I deserve an answer first?” Liz bantered.

“I have a longer story to tell, so you go.” Max countered.

Liz relented and began her own tale. “It was ok, nothing disastrous happened, unless you count the maid of honor getting trashed and hitting on the groom”, she giggled.

“Damn, I wish I could’ve been there to see it.” Max laughed.

“She’d probably hit on you instead if you were.” Liz commented as she looked at her friend.

“You jealous?” Max replied with a half-smile.

“No.” Liz quickly responded.

“Really?”

Liz sighed and turned her head away from him, “Could you just stop this already?”

“Why? Am I getting to you?” murmured Max.

“No”, Liz denied.

“You sure about that?” Max asked as he moved closer to Liz, almost hovering above her.

“Yes.” She moved a tad, but Max still noticed.

Max narrowed his eyes, a teasing smile evident on his lips. “Then why are you moving away from me?”

“I’m not.” Liz shook her head slightly.

“Ok, I’ll back off”, Max leaned back but continued to stare at Liz.

But before Liz could breathe a sigh of relief; Max added, “For now.”

And before she could give him a witty comeback, he began to tell his encounter with Maria and Michael.

“I can’t believe she would agree to that.” Liz said as they were now walking down the stairs. She had already gotten changed into a pair of jersey shorts and a loose tee with her hair in a messy bun, while she listened to Max’s account.

“That’s what Michael said too. But come on, this is Maria we’re talking about.” Max explained.

“Ok, maybe she would agree to that if they were still just dating, not now that they’re engaged.” Liz told him.

“No fury like that of a woman scorned, isn’t that how that saying goes?” Max said.

“I don’t know, but still, I’m worried that this might backfire on you.” Liz told him while they strolled into her kitchen. She positioned herself on one of the stools by the counter at the same time as Max went to look for something to make for dinner.

“How does a stir fry chicken over rice sound to you?” Max asked over his shoulder.

“That’ll be perfect. A far cry from all the food we made today at the restaurant.” Liz commented.

Whenever Liz was this tired from a catering job and Max wasn’t at any of his photo shoots or commercial filming or an event that he has to make an appearance on, he would always make the meal for them. That was an agreement that wasn’t really vocalized but it became a silent arrangement nonetheless.

As Max got all the ingredients out of the fridge, Liz reiterated her statement. “How could this backfire?” Max questioned.

“If Michael finds out the truth.” Liz simply declared.

Max shook his head as he began to pour water in the rice cooker where he had put a cup of white rice just seconds ago. “Not gonna happen.”

“How do you know?” prodded Liz.

“He’s not that smart.” Max said jokingly.

Liz went silent for a few minutes, then said, “You’re right. He is your brother after all.”

“Hey!” Max paused at opening the pack of chicken fillets to regard her.

Liz laughed, and once again, Max found himself falling for her even more.

“Ok, seriously, what if Michael finds out?” Liz asked again.

Max shrugged and returned to his cooking, “I dunno. He’ll probably hate me. But this is for his own good.”

“You think hurting him is good for him?” prompted Liz.

Max turned to face his best friend once more. “If it’ll make him realize what he’s done, yes”, he answered in all earnestness.

“Let’s just hope he sees it that way.” Liz whispered.

Max made a scoffing sound and said, “Whose side are you on?”

“Yours.” Liz said with a passion.

“Then how come it doesn’t sound like it?” Max demanded.

“Why are you getting all riled up? I was just playing devil’s advocate so you’ll know what to do.” Liz said. “Max, I know you have a good relationship with Michael even though you’re mad at him right now. I just don’t want to see that jeopardized over this stunt.”

“If this makes him change his ways then I’m ready to take that risk.” Max ended the conversation then.

Liz just remained silent and hoped that this plan Max has hatched won’t blow up on his face.

After a few minutes the food was ready and the two were sitting together at the table, playing with the food on their plates. They hated when they got into an argument.

“I’m sorry,” Max began, not liking that he was fighting with Liz.

“I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have pressed the topic.” Liz answered.

“No, you’re right. I have to think about what I’ll do in case Mike finds out.” Max said.

“I think if it ever came to that, you’ll just have to tell him why you did it. He might not understand right away, but he will eventually.” Liz resolved for him. “He’s your brother, he can’t stay mad at you forever.”

Max just gave her a small smile. Now he was wary of what might happen if Michael does find out. He knew that if the shit hits the fan, Michael will most definitely seek revenge. And Mike knew to hit exactly where it would hurt him the most…

Liz.
Last edited by kay_b on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever & a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult- A/N on 4- (9.29)

Post by kay_b »

A/N: Ok, I had this note saying how sorry I am for the long wait between posts and that you might be sick of hearing that time and time again. I was also giving thanks to everyone who has stuck with me throughout this story and for all the feedback and bumps. And I promised that I'm going to try harder on writing new parts quicker. Unfortunately, stupid IE decided to go berserk on me and erased all that. Anyway, I won't write a long note, in case it happens again. I'll just post the new part below and hope you like it.
~*~*~*~

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
Liz was working a busy day in the restaurant. She didn’t even notice the time as lunch rolled by and people came and left. It has been quite a hectic week and as much as she loved her job, she caught herself wondering when she would get a break.

As she was putting out some pastries on display, a tall man approached the counter.

“Hey, Liz.”

Looking up to meet his face, Liz was surprised to see Michael, alone.

He never went into her establishment without Max or Isabel. At one point, it even made Liz wonder if he didn’t like her. She knew it was trivial but still, she didn’t like the feeling of someone, especially someone she knew, detesting her.

“Michael, what are you doing here?” Catching what she just said, she rephrased it, “I mean, is there anything I can help you with?”

“Not really, I…I just need to talk to someone and Max and Isabel are out.” Michael replied.

“Oh, yeah, Max said he has a runway rehearsal to go to today.” Liz provided the information. She motioned for Michael to follow her to the more private booth reserved for the Evans siblings.

Michael moved as Liz led the way. At first he wasn’t sure about heading over to Elizabeth’s but since his brother and sister were working, he couldn’t very well disturb them. And although Liz was working also, he thought maybe she would be more insightful with his current dilemma. He knew Max was just going to get into his case and rub more salt into an already gaping wound, so maybe Liz would be a bit more understanding. After all, Max always went to her when he had problems, she might be able to help him too.

As soon as they sat, one of the waiters approached them to take their order. Liz shook her head in the negative and asked Michael if he wanted something.

“I’m not really hungry.” was his answer.

Liz nodded, and turned to face the waiter. But before she could dismiss him, Michael spoke, “Maybe a roast beef sandwich would be nice.”

Liz faced Michael and gave him a small smile. She then told the waiter to bring in some cherry cokes for them as well. She knew how much the Evans brothers loved the drink.

“So, what’s bothering you?” Liz began.

“Did Max tell you? About me and Maria?” Michael prodded.

“He told me a little bit, that you and Maria had a fight.” Liz replied.

“Did he tell you what it was about?”

“Uh…” Liz felt a bit uncomfortable. While it was common knowledge that she and Max never hid anything from each other, that pertained to topics about them. She didn’t know how Michael would feel knowing that Max had spilled the beans about his relationship.

“It’s ok, I know Max would have told you. And I also know you probably think I’m a pig for what I did to Maria.” Michael said with regret.

Liz was about to reply but paused with the waiter came back with Michael’s food. She resumed talking when her employee had left them. “Michael, I don’t think you’re a pig. I think it wasn’t right but it’s obvious that you’re sorry for what you’ve done. Now it’s time to talk Maria, apologize to her and do everything you can to win her back.”

“That’s just the point.” Michael said after taking a bite. “I don’t know how.”

“Well, have you talked to her?”

“She wouldn’t even give me the time of day. I apologized when we had a fight but of course that wouldn’t do any good because she was beyond pissed then. I thought after giving her some time to get over it, we could talk about it. But no, Max said she’s already started seeing someone else. And we’re still engaged!” Michael said loudly.

Liz immediately looked around to see if anyone had heard Michael’s outburst before returning her focus on her companion. “Michael, maybe you should go over to her house and convince her to talk to you.”

“Don’t you think I’ve already done that?” Michael yelled in frustration but quickly regretted it when he saw Liz flinch. “Sorry, I’m sorry”, Michael shook his head. “I shouldn’t be taking this out on you. I’m at my wit’s end and I don’t know what else to do. You’re a girl, maybe you can help me.”

“I may have an idea.” Liz offered.

“Really?” Michael was leaning forward, a look of hope etched clearly on his face.

“Have you tried wooing her?”

Michael sat back and took a bite off his food. “What do you mean?”

“You know, send her flowers, love letters, really romantic stuff.” Liz said.

Michael paused to ponder that as he continued to savor the sandwich. “That could work.”

“I’m not saying if you do that, she’ll bury the hatchet that easily, ok? Somehow Maria doesn’t strike me as the forgiving type.” Liz commented. “But maybe this will get your foot in her door.”

“Yeah, believe me; she can be quite vindictive when she wants to be.” Michael sighed.

“If in those few moments that I got to see you and Maria together is any indication, she really loves you, Michael. I’m sure she’ll forgive you.” Liz told him sincerely.

“I wish I could share in your optimism, Liz.” Michael gave her a small smile. Then he added, “You know that Max really does love you too, right?”

Liz moved back in her seat, her gaze unwavering, she nodded.

“Then what’s the problem? You’re great together. You can’t honestly just sit there and tell me you don’t feel for him that way. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have been friends for this long.”

Liz kept staring at him and it was beginning to make Michael feel a tad uncomfortable. She was gauging the price of telling Michael her fears. But then he confided in her, it was only right to tell him. After all, she wouldn’t be surprised if he had heard her reasons already from Max.

“That’s just the point, Michael. I’ve been friends with him for too long. I’m scared that if we give this a go and it doesn’t pan out, not only do I lose a boyfriend, but I also lose my best friend.”

Michael was already shaking his head at that, “You won’t lose, Max. I can guarantee you that, Liz. He’s too head over heels for you that he will do everything in his power to make it work. And you of all people know my brother best. Do you really think he will just give up because you’re scared?”

“I know, and that’s exactly what I’m afraid of.”

“So what’s going to happen? You’re just going to do this dance with him?” Michael asked.

Liz gave her answer with a resigned look and a shrug.

“Ok look, I’m not one to meddle in Max’s business and all, but let me just ask you one more thing.”

Liz nodded.

Michael gazed at her intensely, making sure that he wouldn’t miss anything with what he was about to ask.

“Do you love him?”

Liz just stared back, her big brown eyes unwavering. “What do you think?”

Michael leaned back in his seat. “No, nuh-uh. I asked you.”

Liz could only sigh, “I don’t know what to tell you, Michael.”

“You don’t know? Or you don’t want to?” Michael persisted.

Liz then smiled, almost laughing at how serious their conversation had turned. “How did this turn around so fast? I thought you were here to ask for my help and try to come up with something to help you get Maria back?”

“Yeah, and you talked, that’s done. Now I’m returning the favor.” Michael replied.

“You don’t need to. Thank you, but really, we can just drop this.” Liz said.

“Why?”

Liz looked at him questioningly, “Why what?”

“Why do you want to drop this? Or better yet, why are you avoiding my question?”

“Michael, as happy as I am that you trust me enough with your problem and we’re able to talk like this, this thing with Max is…” Liz was trying her hardest searching for the right word.

“None of my business?”

“Exactly”, she blurted out. “No, I mean, it’s not that, it’s just…just…”

Michael easily raised one brow at Liz.

She quickly closed her mouth in a thin line and exhaled forcefully. Liz opened her mouth but no words would come out.

Michael chuckled with his eyes glued on his plate. “Yeah, you love him.”

“What?”

He looked back up at his companion and grinned. “Why am I always the one that provide the wisdom people seek? First it was Max, now you. I don’t think there’s anyone better suited for each other than you two.”

“I’m glad I can amuse you, but what are you talking about?” Liz inquired irately.

“Max and I were playing b-ball some time ago and I told him Maria and I could set him up with someone and to describe the kind of girl he would like. He kept going on and on and I realized he was talking about you. He was completely clueless; so I told him whom he was describing. He didn’t want to admit it at first but it was only about a minute or so when he grasped the same thing.” Michael took another bite of his sandwich and continued with his explanation after taking a sip of his soda.

“And now, here you are, not wanting to answer a simple question which goes to show that you do love him.”

“It’s not that simple, Michael.” Liz answered indignantly.

“So you admit it, you are in love with him.” Michael caught her.

Liz was about to protest but Michael went on, “You’re a very intelligent person, Liz. You’re determined, smart, beautiful as well; what I don’t understand is, why are you letting your fear prevent you from having a happy life with the one you love?”

“Maybe I should ask you the same thing.”

“Here you go again, you’re still avoiding the question.” Michael smirked. “And for the record, I’m not afraid of spending the rest of my life with Maria. I proposed, remember?”

“And yet, you keep sabotaging your relationship by fooling around with other women.” Liz retaliated.

Michael had to smile, a gesture that did not go unnoticed by Liz.

“What are you smiling about?”

“You said ‘fooling around’, not sleeping with.”

“I don’t think you would’ve been that inconsiderate. You do love Maria, but you’re scared of fully committing to one woman.” Liz rationalized.

“And you want the same with Max, but you don’t trust him enough to be loyal.”

“I didn’t say that.” Liz objected.

“Didn’t have to.” Michael said with a mouthful.

“I trust Max with my life, Michael.” Liz said fervently. “I just…”

Michael really looked at Liz this time and saw the fear clearly etched on her face. “You just what?”

Liz was on the verge of tears as she whispered, “I just don’t know if I’ll be good enough.”

tbc
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever & a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult- A/N on pg 8 - (3.30)

Post by kay_b »

Finally, after a long delay, a new part is finished. A huge thanks goes to my new beta, Ellie (Earth2Mama). I'm really hoping this will get me hooked on writing again.

Ok, I'm not going to drag it out by writing a long note. So, enjoy. Hope you like the new part.

~*~*~*~

Chapter Twenty Three

Michael was stunned. He didn’t know if he should reach over and slap Liz or if he should go stand beside her and shake her…hard. “Are you crazy?” He put down his food back on the plate and wiped his hands off the linen napkin. “Liz, Max worships the ground you walk on. Why won’t you be good enough for him?”

“No, I’m not crazy, he doesn’t worship me and I have a really valid point, Michael.” Liz spoke vehemently.

“Oh yeah, sure, that you’re not good enough for him. How can you think that? Only Max knows what’s good for him. And you make each other happy. At least I think you do with the amount of time you spend together. Cause if not, then I’ll have to tell you both to get your heads checked.” Michael ranted.

Liz could almost laugh at Michael’s comments…almost. “Look, this thing with Max is just complicated, ok?”

“Only because you make it out to be.” Michael said. “He loves you, you love him; what the hell is the problem there?” Before Liz could protest, Michael added more words. “Listen to me, you and him, you’re great together. If you’re going to let this irrational fear—”

“It is not irrational.” Liz interjected.

“Yes, it is. Now let me finish”, Michael spoke indignantly. “If you’re going to let this irrational fear ruin your life, then get out now. Stop seeing Max, stop spending time with him, stop talking to him, stop thinking about him, no contact whatsoever. Because every time you’re together, you’re just making him love you more and that makes him chase you harder, which you’re trying to dodge like the plague. And that is what I call a complete waste of time.”

Liz couldn’t think up of a comeback. Michael was right. The whole point of not giving in to Max was to ensure that their friendship stays intact but then this was risking their friendship even more. Eventually he’ll grow tired and he’ll start resenting her, he’ll find someone else and he’ll forget her altogether, but if she does give them a chance…. She was so confused that tears were threatening to spill. What was she going to do?

Michael noticed the minute his words had sunk in. He knew Liz was fighting with herself over her situation with Max. But what he said was true. If Liz didn’t make a decision to take that leap, she and Max would end up miserable.

“Oh no, wait, don’t cry. Shit.” Michael was looking around, trying to find a way to make her stop. “I didn’t mean it. Well, yes, I did, but I didn’t mean for you to cry over it. Liz, come on.” He reached for her hand across the table as Liz released a sob.

“I’m sorry, Michael.” Liz sniffled, “You’re right. You’re utterly and completely right.”

“So that’s it really, isn’t it?” Michael asked softly. He felt sorry for her. While he couldn’t understand her reason as to why she thought she didn’t deserve Max, he finally grasped the meaningless fear behind it. Yes, it was meaningless because while she thought she was unworthy of his brother, Max thought she deserved so much more and he wanted to be the one to try and give that to her.

Liz nodded sadly, another tear shed.

Michael had to sigh, how was he going to explain to Liz that all her fears were unfounded? “Liz, at some point I can see your logic. But, it’s totally unjustified.”

“How is that unjustified? Max is beautiful, both inside and out. He could have anyone, anyone that is equally as gorgeous as he is. So why would he stick around for me?” Liz emphatically volleyed.

“This is about your looks?” Michael bit back. “You think he’s that shallow?”

Liz groaned, “No. That’s not what I meant.”

“Explain it to me then.” Michael sat back and reached for his sandwich to resume his meal.

“I’m not saying that Max is that type, he’s too decent and considerate for that. It’s just…ok, say we give it a go. Eventually he will find someone else, someone better… someone who can be at par with him. And…I’m just not the girl that would look great holding on to his arm when we walk down a red carpet for some special event.” Liz spoke sadly.

Michael finished off his food and took a couple of sips of his soda. He then shook his head. “Ok, either you really think he’s only after looks or you didn’t explain it well because that just sounded the same thing to me. You’re worried that you’re not pretty enough for him and sooner or later he’ll leave you for someone more attractive.”

Before Liz could form a sentence to rebuff Michael’s words, he continued. “If that was the case, why do the tabloids always describe you as Max’s stunning friend, or Max’s hot companion or Max’s eye-candy? But beyond that, Max doesn’t just go for looks, otherwise, he would’ve dumped you long ago.”

“What?” Liz gasped.

“I mean, he would’ve gotten bored already, he would’ve moved on to the next thing. But he hasn’t because that’s not who he is. He’s still here, trying to tell you, to prove to you that you’re what he wants in his life that you’re it for him, if only you’d give him a chance, give the both of you a chance.” Michael said before his lips became a thin line. He was done explaining. He knew he had somewhat gotten a ‘foot in her door’ as she put it earlier, for Max. His words made her think. Now if only she could overcome her needless and absurd fears.

Liz was crying even harder now, though she didn’t sob as the tears continued to stream down her face halfway through Michael’s impassioned speech. She knew he was right, she could feel it within the cavity in her chest that housed her heart. But could it really be that simple? Just let go and allow fate to take them where they were meant to be. And what if it meant that they weren’t really for each other? What then?

“I’m sorry, Michael. It’s too hard.” Liz bit her lip to keep a heart wrenching sob from escaping. She took one of the table napkins that was pressed and folded neatly to wipe her tears that continued to flow.

Michael, for the handsome brute that he was, felt helpless. His heart was going out to Liz; her pain was that tangible that he could almost grasp it. She was too scared, clearly showing him how much his brother meant to her. He stood up; about to move closer to Liz to offer her some kind of comfort when all of a sudden, he was pushed back hard, making him lie over the table.

He looked to where the force had come from and he found Max looking menacingly furious.

“What the fuck did you do?!”

Max was looking forward to seeing Liz at the restaurant. The rehearsal went off without a hitch so they were dismissed earlier than scheduled. He was thinking of stealing her away from work and just spending the day together. They used to do that, though it didn’t have to be anything grand like dining out somewhere expensive or traveling somewhere exotic. A simple walk on the beach with Bailey or spending the day locked up in the house and watching movies together. Those to him were special. And all that time, he hadn’t seen how he was falling for her, deeper and deeper with each passing minute. He shook his head at his memories; all that wasted time.

He parked his car and got out, quickly searching for Liz through the huge glass window but not finding her. He went inside and was quickly greeted by his best friend’s staff. He knew them all, and they knew him, not because he was a celebrity but because he was a friend. Elizabeth’s personnel were surprised when he first came in the establishment. They knew who he was, who wouldn’t, and was shocked when he was there, not as a paying customer, but to help out their boss with deliveries. Who would do that? Who, with his stature, would do something like that? The guys were all wary, they considered Liz as family. The girls all swooned and found it romantic, until they were told that they were just friends. As time went on and Max helped out more, they became at ease with him, and he was considered a part of their group, an equal.

“Sarah, where’s Liz?” Max asked one of Liz’s employees. She slowly turned her head to where Michael and Liz were in a booth and she looked like she was crying.

Max was livid, what the hell did Michael tell her? Did he already find out about his and Maria’s ploy? Is he sabotaging any chance he had with Liz because of it? Is that why she was crying?

He didn’t wait for Sarah to respond and quickly walked to where the two were. Each step thudded heavily against the floor. They didn’t even notice him but he did. Every stride gave him a clearer view of Liz and her tear-stained face. He couldn’t bear it. Michael had something to do with it, that he was certain. And another thing he was sure of, his brother is going to pay.

“Max!” Liz stood up abruptly. “What are you doing?” She moved to stand in front of her best friend who looked positively enraged. She was trying to push him back, to give Michael some space to get up but Max wouldn’t budge.

Michael was slowly getting up, both confused and angry at what Max did. He noticed that people were starting to stare. Both Evans brothers were at a table, fighting over Max’s girlfriend. Great, he could just see the headlines now.

“Max, calm down. What happened? What’s gotten you so mad?” Liz was trying to get through to him though he was still staring his brother down.

“Answer me, Michael.” Max wasn’t even paying attention to Liz. He saw her tears; that was enough.

“I didn’t do anything!” Michael said with a tinge of exasperation in his voice and it was slowly building up.

“Max, Michael and I were just talking.” Liz tried to get through to him. She was becoming anxious; people were getting curious and have started trying to sneak a peek at their private booth. She began tugging on Max’s hand, begging him to sit down. “Max, please.”

It was only then that Max and Michael both looked at their surroundings and noticed the people that have been staring at them. In a silent agreement, both brothers took a seat at their table.

Max turned to look at Liz and spoke a tad bit calmer. “Tell me what he did and don’t tell me you were just talking because that”, he looked pointedly at her face, “is not ‘just talking’.”

Before Liz could voice out a reply, he swiftly addressed Michael, “Is this your way of paying me back?”

“Paying you back? For what?” Michael stared back at his brother incredulously and was getting upset.

Liz knew things were about to escalate if she didn’t put a stop to this now. “Max, Michael was just explaining something and it… it touched something in me.” She threw a meaningful look at Michael, letting him know without words that she would think about what he said.

But Michael was already suspicious. “What was that supposed to mean, Max?” he asked when Max remained silent. Something was going on but he couldn’t figure out what it was exactly. ‘Why was his brother so pissed? Sure, he saw Liz crying and everyone knew how overprotective Max had been of his best friend after that stupid Langley ambushed her, but this was borderline insanity. Did Max think he would hurt Liz for… revenge?’

Liz whirled to look at Michael. “Please, stop.” She then pleaded with Max, gripping his hand in hers, “Max, enough. Don’t fight over nothing.”

“You were shedding tears. That’s not nothing in my book.” Max answered.

“Let it go.” Liz’s big brown eyes stared at Max’s hazel ones.

Max finally looked at her, a silent conversation starting. His usually upbeat best friend was meek, begging him to disregard what he saw. She had her reason but it wasn’t something she could say in front of Michael. He would have to trust her on this one, and trusting Liz was as normal as breathing air. He gave her an indiscernible nod which she replied to with a soft sigh. Chaos avoided.

Unfortunately for the two, Michael wasn’t letting Max’s slip go. “What did you mean by that, Max?”

Max looked back at his older brother. He was still angry but according to Liz it was nothing. Why do people, well women in particular, always said the word nothing when they wanted the subject dropped? He was certainly not going to let this pass but because of his outburst towards Michael, he had to do some damage control.

He breathed in calmly and spoke, “You know what I meant. Mom and Dad’s house, Sunday lunch, that ring a bell with you?

Liz looked curious staring from one Evans to the other.

Michael on the other hand looked abashed ”Oh.”

“Yeah oh.” Max scoffed. He inwardly sighed, he almost blew it that time.

Max then turned to Liz. “Are you really sure you're o.k.?”

“Yes, I’m fine.” Liz nodded. “Michael was just saying something that really got to me. And it’s nothing bad.” She quickly added.

“Ok then.” Max looked back at his brother as he scratched the back of his head. “Uh… sorry about what I did. I just saw her crying and…well…I just…”

Michael chuckled. “Stop before you trip over your own words. Sheesh, you’re pathetic, you know that?”

Max took his brother’s advice, but not for the reason Michael thought. Max didn’t want to risk revealing anything else and causing more trouble for him. Putting an arm over Liz’s shoulders, he faced his brother, and responded with a smirk and a shrug.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever & a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult- Chapter 24

Post by kay_b »

A/N: I have a lot of thanks to give right now. Thank you so much for still reading this. I have to give a big thanks to Ellie (earth2mama) for being a great beta and collaborating with me on the direction of this story. Needless to say, I now have an outline for the next few chapters. And look, I was able to update in less than a month! LOL.

Thank you for all your feedback.

LilLoucfer - Thanks for the feedback. Um...yeah, Michael's words...

mary mary - Thank you for still reading this.

Alien_Friend - Thank you. I'm glad I got the spark back too. But I think a huge part of it is because of Ellie, lol. It really does help to have a beta. Ok, that's all I'm going to say. I'll let you read the next part cause it'll answer everything on your previous feedback.

elci - Glad to be back too. You're right to be nervous, but not for those reasons. *insert evil laugh*

keepsmiling7 - Yes, Michael's words did have her thinking.

nibbles2 - Max always gets a little crazy when it comes to Liz. And add to that his paranoia because of his scheme with Maria, he's definitely going to fly off the handle the second he sees Liz crying in front of Michael.

That's exactly how I wanted Michael to be. He can't see his own actions but he has a clear vision of others' relationships. There's a term for this, I just can't remember what it is.

begonia9508 - Yup, poor Liz. I know my response to your feedback is short, but...well, you'll see why.

dreambeliever - Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

yayaliens - Yes, I'm back. Hopefully my muse will be cooperative enough and allow me to finally finish this fic.

zaneri1 - Wow, thank you for re-reading this story. Though I know it's my fault for taking so long to post between updates.

Tanya - You're right. And here it is, lol. *hugs*

Just a few words of warning. I'm expecting for you all to hate the next part, but trust that it's necessary. Life can't be that easy, especially for Max and Liz. I am a dreamer but they've always had angst in their lives. Who am I to go against that? LOL.

Oh, and shameless plugging. If there are any Twilight fans out there, I've written one fanfic at a different site. PM me if you want to read it and I'll send you the link.

Thanks again to all the readers, both feedbackers and lurkers.

Kay

~*~*~*~*~
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
Max and Liz walked into the empty house. Bailey ran to the door, and was quick to greet them both.

“Hi Bailey.” Max knelt down after entering Liz’s home. He grabbed the big dog’s face and started rubbing behind the pet’s ears.

Looking at them made Liz smile. Sometimes it seemed that Bailey belonged to Max rather than her. They took turns taking care of the dog. But tonight, since Max decided to wait for her till she was done with work, Bailey missed the two. It wasn’t that late though, since Liz was able to leave her work early. Well, nine o’clock at night is early considering the type of work she was in. Usually she would get home around eleven in the evening.

Since she and Max already ate at the restaurant, Liz sensed that Max came home with her because he wanted to know what he came upon when he got to Elizabeth’s that afternoon.

She walked up the stairs to her room to change, leaving Max still horsing around with the Akita. She knew that the minute Max noticed she wasn’t in the kitchen any longer; he would start looking for her.

She got a big shirt from her drawer. It was dark green and reached almost to her knees. Then she picked up a pair of shorts from another drawer and went into her bathroom to change.

The minute she opened the door, all ready for bed, she found Max was already sitting on it.

Liz had to sigh; she knew this was coming.

“So, you ready to tell me what exactly happened?” Max asked. He wasn’t one for beating around the bush. He was still rattled that he saw her crying, despite her reassurances that it was nothing to be concerned about.

Liz walked to her dresser and started brushing her long dark locks. “I told you this already. Michael and I were talking and he said some things that really got to me.”

“Then why were you crying?” Max couldn’t let it go. He had to know what brought the waterworks on. He had to know if Michael said something to upset Liz, particularly, something that would blow Max’s chances with her.

Liz was beginning to feel irritated. “You know, we’re just going around in circles.” She huffed as she placed her brush back on the dresser. She walked to her bed and settled under the covers.

Max lied down beside her, above the comforter. “Why won’t you tell me what he told you?”

“Because it was a private conversation, Max,” Liz explained.

He rolled to his side, supporting his head with his hand. “We have never kept secrets from each other.”

Liz copied his actions, moving to face him. “And we’re still not keeping any secrets from each other.”

“But you won’t tell me,” Max pressed on.

“Why is it so important to you?” Liz asked.

“Because… you’re my best friend, Liz. And I want to make sure that he didn’t say anything that would make you think I’m not good enough.” Max’s voice got softer and softer as he reached the end of his statement.

“Good enough for what?”

Max sighed. “Good enough for you.”

Liz was stunned. “What?”

“What?”

“Wh— Why would you think you’re not good enough for me?” Liz was baffled. Where did that come from?

“Then why won’t you be with me?” Max questioned, exasperated.

Liz exhaled loudly. “You think that because I don’t want to move our friendship into something more, that you’re not good enough for me?”

“Well, what other reason is there, Liz? I think I’m a good person. I’ve treated you well. Conceited as it may sound, I think I’m a great catch. Other women would have already been thrilled at the prospect of being with me, except the one person I love.” Max was starting to grasp at straws.

Liz didn’t know if she should feel angry or not. She definitely felt that she wanted to cry. She threw the covers off her and got up, heading straight for the door.

“Where are you going?” Max asked as he sat up.

Without looking back, Liz walked downstairs to her kitchen to get a glass of water. She needed to drink to calm herself down.

“Tell me, Liz. What other reason is there?” Max was quickly beside her.

“I already told you,” she said between gritted teeth.

“That you’re scared of losing me. That won’t happen if we’re together,” Max insisted.

“And it will, if we’re not?” Liz threw back.

Max ran his hands through his hair. “That’s not what I meant.”

“Yes it was. If you’re tired of hanging around me, just say so. I’m sorry if you think I’ve wasted your time,” Liz said angrily.

“Stop twisting it around. You know I’ve never felt that way.” Max was getting frustrated.

“But you’re starting to, right? You’re thinking all this drama is not worth it. You said so yourself, Max. There are other women who would gladly be with you. Why are you still here then?”

“Because I love you! You! How many times do I have to tell you that?” Max began yelling.

“And how many times must I tell you that I can’t be with you the way you want me to?” Liz shouted back.

“Do you love me?” Max asked.

“What?”

“Do. You. Love. Me.” Max enunciated every single word.

“You know I do,” Liz answered.

“But not the way I want you to, right? Not like I love you.” Max felt the pain begin in his chest. His heart was currently being shattered into a million pieces.

“It’s not that.”

“Then what is it?” Max shouted. “Tell me what the fuck this all is, Liz, because I can’t keep going on this way.”

“You’re my best friend,” Liz said softly. “I can’t lose you.”

“Why do you keep saying that? Why do you keep thinking that you’ll lose me?”

“I don’t know.” Tears began to well in her eyes.

Listening to her words over and over in his head made him realize something. “You don’t trust me.” Every time he asked her, Liz always told him she was afraid of losing him. That she would be the one losing him. “That’s why you’re so scared. Not because you’ll walk away. It’s because you think I’ll leave you.”

Liz bit her lip.

“That’s it? That’s why?” Max was shocked that he finally found out the truth. He then started to laugh, but his laughter was laced with sarcasm. “Thanks a lot, Liz. Why did you even bother considering me a friend if you can’t even trust me?”

“It’s not about trust,” Liz cried.

“Yes it is!” Max roared. “You think I’ll leave you for some reason. It’s got you so fucking scared that you can’t even give us a chance. How can you say it’s not about trust when you’re so damn terrified of loving me back? You’re afraid I’ll rip your heart out or something!”

Max shook his head. Liz looked so vulnerable weeping in front of him, he just wanted to scoop her up and cradle her in his arms. But for the first time since he’d known her, he couldn’t even take one step closer. She didn’t trust him not to break her heart. That hurt…a lot.

“So I was right. I’m not good enough for you.” Max chuckled darkly.

“No, just the opposite. You’re too good,” Liz tried to explain. Why couldn’t she make the words come out right?

Max shook his head. “If you really thought that, you and I would have been together a long time ago.”

Silence ensued; none of them saying a word. The quietness that followed was pierced by Liz’s sobbing. Tears were already running down her face when she looked at him. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry if I wasted all these years, Max.”

Max blinked. It couldn’t have been that easy. He thought he had finally gotten through to Liz. But he was right to doubt it. It wasn’t his words that were running through his friend’s mind. It was his brother’s.

Michael was right. She was just wasting Max’s time by stringing him along, knowing she could never let her fears go. It’s not that she didn’t trust Max. It was the complete opposite. She trusted him wholeheartedly, trusted him with her life. It was her she had doubts in. She knew one way or another she would screw things up. Maybe it would be best to stop all this before it got to the point where Max would hate her. As it was, Liz felt he was already starting to.

She tried to control her sobbing. “I’m so sorry I made such a mess of things. This isn’t what I wanted. You’re right. You should be with someone who will be happy to be with you.”

Max’s eyes narrowed.

“I believe you when you say you love me. But I just can’t let go of this fear. And it’s not right to keep you at arm’s length like this. Either I accept it all or I let go.” Liz walked closer toward Max.

“So I’m letting go. I do trust you, Max, with my life. But I just can’t give you what you want. I’m so sorry,” Liz sobbed.

Max’s brows furrowed. “What are you saying?”

Liz tried to put on a brave face, smiling through her tears. “We should probably stop hanging out together for a while. You should be out and having fun, Max. You shouldn’t be cooped up in here with me. You should be out dating. Find a girlfriend that’s worthy of you. She’s the one you should be bringing to your family luncheons, not me. She should be the one you’re giving all this attention to. You are a great catch, Max. Any girl would be lucky to have you. And you deserve someone who would love you the same way that you love her.”

Max shook his head. “No. Liz…”

“I need some time, Max. I need some time… alone.”

“No,” Max said stubbornly. “I’ll give you the space you need but you’re not getting rid of me.”

“Don’t make this harder than it already is, Max,” Liz pleaded.

“No. I can’t...” Max was at a loss. “I love you. Doesn’t that count for something?” Max began to shed tears.

Liz reached up, wiping his cheek with the pad of her thumb. “I love you too, but I can’t be what you want me to be. It’s not fair to you.”

“No. Liz.” Max drew her close, hugging her tight.

“I’m so sorry.” Liz whispered. She kissed his cheek one last time, then, pulled herself away from him.

She walked back up to her room in tears, leaving Max drowning in his.