Angel Of Silence (AU,M/L,ADULT) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 10 06/Oct/09

Post by Janetfl »

Hi everyone! Sorry about the delay in posting this. I would like to thank everyone that left feedback for me.

Kris
Ginger
Lou
behr_able
Courtney
Carolyn
Eve
Natalie36
Destiny
AvalonRose

Thank you for your support!!!!

Chapter 10.

After kissing her parents goodbye Liz headed out towards the campus, taking her usual route.

Her mind was occupied by the horror of last night. Why were her real parents haunting her? Why the hell did they grab at her leg? The thought of those bony fingers wrapped around her leg almost made her throw up. The worst part though, was the smell of burning flesh that assaulted her nose every time they appeared.

Was she being punished for causing the accident? Was she going to have to live with this for the rest of her life? At first it wasn't so bad. The visions, or rather apparitions, didn't come that often but as she got older and her life more difficult, they seemed to increase. Now though it was almost every night.

As she reached the campus, she was that deep in thought that she never noticed the man standing by the door.

"Penny for your thoughts?" asked Max as Liz almost walked past him in a daze.

"W-what?" signed Liz as if she'd been broken out of a trance.

"You looked so far away Liz. What were you thinking about?"

"Huh? Oh nothing. Sorry Max, I'm a little preoccupied this morning," signed Liz as she walked through the doors.

Max gently grabbed her arm and turned her to face him.

"Hey are you okay?" the concern for her was etched on his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine Max. Thanks for asking. I've just got a lot on my mind this morning."

"You're looking pretty tired this morning Liz, did you sleep alright last night?"

He knew that it was really none of his business but he couldn't help asking her.

She had deep, dark circles around her eyes and he could swear it looked like she had been crying, they were slightly puffy.

Liz almost snapped at Max. She didn't want him to know how mentally unstable she was. There was no way he would understand her dead parents showing up but the look of concern that shone in his eyes stopped her dead in her tracks.

Liz smiled at him.

"I'm fine honestly Max. I just had a sleepless night last night. I think it was all the excitement of moving, starting a new college and meeting new people. You know what I mean?" signed Liz.

"Well if it makes you feel any better. I didn't get much sleep last night either," replied Max.

"Why?" signed Liz.

"Because I couldn't get a certain person out of my head," he replied with a shy smile.

Liz realized that he was talking about her and she blushed.

"I don't mean to scare you Liz but when you walked down those stairs last night you simply took my breath away. You looked so beautiful."

Now this made Liz blush profusely. She wasn't used to receiving those kinds of compliments. She wasn't quite sure how to handle it.

"Thank you Max," was all she could think of saying. "You looked pretty handsome yourself."

He smiled and opened the door for her.

"You know that question I asked you last night?" asked Max in a hopeful tone. He was wondering if she'd been a little too tipsy to remember.

"You mean our date?"

"Yes. Well how about tonight?" asked Max.

"I can't tonight Max," she noticed the look of rejection on his face and quickly signed "I can't tonight because I want to turn in early after not sleeping so well but how about tomorrow night?" offered Liz.

"Tomorrow night would be great!" replied Max.

Neither of them noticed someone walking right behind them, listening in to the conversation, but someone else did. They made a mental note of the situation but were not going to do anything about it until they'd spoken to Liz herself.

Liz inwardly groaned when she saw who had walked into class behind her. Yep that's right, none other than the bitch of all bitches, Tess. How the hell was she in the same class as Liz? Surely she should be in the year above her.

Now that she knew she had to take some classes with Tess she finally realized what she'd let herself in for. Lucky enough Maria was in the same class as them both so she knew she had at least one ally.

The teacher started to explain the rules of that particular class.

"So a main part of your exam score will be made up from how much participation you put into the class. Do you all understand what this means?"

Immediately Tess raised her hand.

"Yes Miss Harding."

"Well I was wondering sir, what would happen to your grade if you couldn't participate?"

"You don't participate, you don't get the score!" replied the teacher.

"But what if you can't participate?"

"I'm sorry Miss Harding but I don't understand the question. As I said, if you can't participate then you don't get the score."

Tess turned around to face Liz and smiled.

"Well sir, my friend Liz over there can't even speak. She has to use sign language to communicate. Now none of us know how to do that, or at least I don't think we do, but still if she can't participate then will that mean she won't pass her grade. Surely that wouldn't be fair to her disability?"

Maria knew what Tess was up to and she didn't like it one little bit. Oh she was going to smack that bitch down when she had a chance.

Just as the teacher was about to reply to Tess's question Maria stood up and held her hand up.

"I know sign language sir, so I could translate for Liz. That way there won't be a problem with her participation in this class."

"Ah but that wouldn't be fair on the rest of us students. What if you ask a question that Liz doesn't know the answer to but Maria answered for her anyway? That would be cheating would it not?" asked Tess as she turned around and smiled at Maria.

"Well I ... I don't really know what to do in this kind of situation. I will have to ask the head of the college and find out what the protocol is for something like this," replied the teacher.

He didn't want Liz to miss out on a normal schooling but Miss Harding had posed a rather pertinent question.

"I will check with the head dean Liz and then get back to you," replied the teacher.

"I can't believe that fucking bitch just did that to you. I swear to god I'm going to kick her ass when we get out of here!" whispered Maria.

"No Maria. Please just leave it. I've handled this kind of situation before and I don't really want you to get involved in it," signed Liz.

"Not get involved?" asked Maria with an incredulous look on her face. "You're kidding right?"

Liz shook her head.

"Look Liz, I'm already involved. You are my friend and I won't have her treating you that way," insisted Maria.

"Please Maria just let me handle this, okay?"

"Liz you can't be serious? There is no way that you have to put up with that bitch. It is discrimination for Christ sakes," Maria said in an angry, whispered tone.

"I know that Maria but I want to handle this on my own and I don't want anyone else to find out what is going on. Promise me Maria."

Maria couldn't believe that Liz was taking this all on her own shoulders.

"But we can all help you Liz. There is no need to take this kind of shit," replied Maria.

"Maria, please just promise me that you won't tell anyone. I already have enough on my plate without having to worry about what my friends are up to," signed Liz.

"FINE! I won't tell anyone what happened here today but if you think that you are going through this alone, you have another thing coming. I'm here, I am a witness to what she's just done and don't think for one second that I'm going to let her get away with it Liz."

Liz gently placed her hand on Maria's arm and smiled.

"I don't think for one second that you would let her get away with it but right now I don't need to draw extra attention to myself."

Maria was completely frustrated and she now knew what had happened yesterday when she saw that awful mark around Liz's neck.

"That bitch attacked you didn't she?" asked Maria, slightly in shock.

Liz turned her face away from Maria and she knew instinctively that she was right.

"Oh I swear Liz, that bitch is going down. I promise I won't get any of the others involved but just know I've got your back, okay?"

Liz just nodded.

"Thank you Maria for offering to translate for us. I'm sure the Dean will be happy with that decision but I've just got to check, okay?" replied the teacher.

"That's fine sir but if it wasn't okay then surely that would be classed as discrimination towards Liz. Now I'm sure the college wouldn't want to get a reputation like that, would it?" asked Maria in her most innocent tone.

The teacher blanched white and replied...

"Erm, yes that is a possibility but I will still have to check with the head Dean."

With that threat hanging in the air the teacher carried on with his class.
Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 11 12/Oct/09

Post by Janetfl »

Hi everyone. It's monday and time for another update. Thank you so much to the people who left feedback for me.

Destiny
Courtney
Eve
Carolyn
Kris
Ginger
Monica
Lou
AvalonRose

Chapter 11.

Tess waited around the corner until he came into view. She casually started walking towards him, heading for her class.

"Hey Max," she said as he was about to walk past her.

Max was deep in thought about his date with Liz tomorrow night. He couldn't wait to get her alone so they could really talk.

"Oh hi Tess," replied Max.

"Listen I'm sorry about last night but you didn't hear the full conversation. Maria was rather rude to me before you showed up."

"Why where you there in the first place Tess?"

"Well I went to your house because we have to sort out all the stuff for the English Societies Club signing, it's in two days. We still have to pick up the literature from the printers and get the forms photocopied. Your mom told me you'd gone over to Michael's so I asked around and found out where he lived."

"What and this couldn't wait until this morning?"

"Well I didn't think you would mind. The signing is in two days Max and we don't have everything ready. I'm sorry if I did something wrong Max."

"No, no you didn't do anything wrong but you also know that you and Maria don't get along. It was bound to cause trouble last night."

"I don't know why Maria doesn't like me Max. I've never done anything to her."

"Let's just say that the both of you have a personality clash and leave it at that. She is my best friend Tess."

"Well I just wanted to say sorry about last night. When do you want to get together to sort all this stuff out? We've got two days before the sign ups start so it will have to be either tonight or tomorrow."

"I can't tomorrow night, I'm going out but I'm free tonight."

"Is it possible for you to pick up the literature from the printers then? That way we can spend the rest of the time photocopying and collating the information packs."

"Yeah I'll go to the printers on my way home. How about you meet me at my house around seven?"

"Okay and I am sorry about just showing up yesterday. It won't happen again."

"See you tonight Tess," said Max as he walked off towards his next class.

"Yes tonight at seven Max," said Tess under her breath. She was going to put her plan into action. There was no way she was letting that little freak trespass on her turf.

Max entered the printer after parking his jeep.

"Hey Eric," said Max.

"Max my boy!! How the devil are you?"

Eric was about the same age as Max's dad, in his early fifties. Eric actually owned the printing business but did most of the work himself. He had his son, Peter, working for him in the hopes that one day he would take over his business. Now although Eric worked with the printing presses he still insisted on wearing a suit.

"I'm fine thanks Eric. I'm just here to pick up the literature for the English Society."

"Oh, the sign ups are in a few days, aren't they."

"Think you'll get many sign ups this year?"

"Yeah I think we'll get a few," said Max with a dreamy look on his face.

"My boy, I saw that dreamy look. Are you expecting a particular lady to sign up?"

Max blushed slightly. Although he'd known Eric for most of his life he was still not comfortable discussing matters of the heart with anyone.

Max just nodded his head.

"You've got it bad, haven't you? My, my I never thought I would see the day that Max Evans would have a goofy look on his face over some woman. It's always been education and basketball with you. This lady must be someone special for you to be paying attention to her."

"She is special."

"Well if it all goes well, you'll have to introduce me to the little lady. Anyway let me go and get your boxes before I embarrass you any further."

That remark made Max laugh. Max and Peter used to play basketball together and that's how Max knew Eric. He used to come to every single game and cheer both him and his son on. He was also the one that calmed his father down if Max had made a mistake. Max lost count, long ago, the amount of times that Eric saved him from a beating by his father. That is why Eric was the only person Max would truly confide in.

Eric finally moved from Roswell so he could set up his own printing business and he was the first person Max looked up when he arrived at UNM.

"There you go my boy, eight boxes," Eric said bringing out two at a time.

"You've got the jeep or the car?" asked Eric.

"The jeep."

"Well I guess these will have to go on the back and passenger seats then."

Max grabbed another two boxes and they both walked out to the jeep.

"When are you going to get rid of this heap of metal?" chuckled Eric.

"Hey, I've had Bob for years. There is no way I'd get rid of him now."

"Surely it costs more to keep on having it fixed than it would to get a new one!"

"It's not that bad," retorted Max, laughing.

They placed the boxes on the floor in the back of the jeep and on the seats. They went back to get the other four and again placed them in the jeep.

Eric held out his hand for Max.

"You take care now Max. Anything you ever need you know where to come."

Max shook his offered hand.

"Thanks Eric, I owe you one for getting these printed so fast."

"You just bring that little lady to see me some day and we'll call it even."

"You're on!" smiled Max.

Later on that evening...

"Liz, don't forget our dinner tomorrow night," shouted Nancy from downstairs.

"DAMN IT" thought Liz. She'd forgotten all about it. Her mom and dad insisted that once a month they went out to a restaurant together. The dates always changed but they always stuck to the rule. She didn't really want to tell her parents about the date tomorrow night.

Liz got into the shower, changed and then headed over to Max's house. She would have to explain to him the reasons for not going tomorrow night. She was hoping that maybe he would be free this evening.
Last edited by Janetfl on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 12 19/Oct/09

Post by Janetfl »

Okay it's Monday and time for another update. I hope you enjoy. Thanks to all of you who left feedback for me. It's greatly appreciated.

Carolyn
Courtney
Kris
Natalie36
AvalonRose
behr_able
Eve
Ginger

Thank you ever so much!!!

Chapter 12.

Now Liz wasn't that familiar with the roads around Albuquerque but she didn't find it too hard to locate Max's place.

She hoped that Max wouldn’t be to upset with her for changing their plans for tomorrow night. She really wanted to go but she couldn't let her parents down. It was something they'd always done, once a month, since they'd adopted her.

She got out of the car and looked around. She was rather surprised to find the place in darkness. No one seemed to be around.

She tried knocking on the door but didn't get a response.

She walked around to the side of the house and found that a light was on in the side window, but the curtains where closed. She decided to have a sneak peak before she actually knocked on the window. She wasn't sure whose room it was and didn't want to knock on his parents' window.

She cupped her hands around her eyes and placed her face close to the glass. She could just make out two figures sitting on the floor; one was Max and the other ... Tess. They were looking rather cozy in his room but she knew better than to just make assumptions.

She raised her hand, ready to knock on the window and attract their attention.

Max and Tess had just finished collating all the literature and forms for the English Society. The only thing left to do was to put them together in a little pre-made pack. Max didn't think it would take this long so he was actually starting to feel a little hungry.

"Hey Tess, have you eaten yet?"

"Actually I haven't Max. I didn't realize that this would take so long."

"Me either, shall we order in or I could quickly whip something up. Only a pasta type dish but it'll be nice."

"Let's just order in Max. That way we won't have to stop what we're doing."

"This is true! Okay Pizza or Chinese?"

"Oh Chinese, please?" said Tess with a smile on her face. She couldn't believe that Max had asked her to stay for dinner. She was definitely getting good vibes from him. All she had to do was get that little freak, Parker, to stay away from him. If she could do that then she would stand a chance of winning him over.

"Okay, here's the menu. Decide what you want and then I'll go and order it. You keep on stuffing the packs."

"Oh joy," said Tess is a bored tone, to which Max laughed.

"Hey it's not my idea of a great night either Tess but this has to be done."

"I know, I know ... it's just ..."

"BORING?" Max offered.

They both burst out laughing.

"Yeah, pretty much," replied Tess. "Okay, here I've written down what I want to order. Here's my half of the money."

"What, no don't be silly Tess, I'll buy dinner for you since you've done most of the work tonight! It's only fair!"

"WOW Max Evans buying me dinner ... you better watch out ... anyone from the outside would think this was a date!"

"Yeah right," said Max rolling his eyes. "We sit here stuffing paper into stupid little boxes all in the hopes of enticing more people into the group this year, great cheap date."

"Okay, go and order our dinner, I'm famished!"

"I'm ON IT!" shouted Max as he left the room.

Tess' plan was going well. She just had to remind Max why he took interest in her in the first place.

She'd dressed in a sexy top but not too revealing, jeans and high heeled boots. She'd put her hair up and had little gold ringlets coming over her face and neck. In short, she looked positively gorgeous ... not that Max seemed to notice.

She heard something get knocked over outside and she turned quickly to see the back of Liz's head. She was obviously reaching down to pick up whatever she'd just knocked over.

"Oh this couldn't get more perfect!"

Tess stood up from the floor and stretched her tired, aching body. She'd been sitting in the same position for far too long.

"Hey Tess I've ..." Max stopped mid sentence as Tess bent over from the waist.

He couldn't help but stare at her cute little butt that was sticking up in the air.

"Erm ... Tess, what are you doing?" he asked with a bemused smile.

"I'm stretching Max. I've been sat in the same position for about two hours, my legs, arms and neck hurts."

She continued to stretch more until the pain of her aching limbs finally went away.

"I think I'm gonna need a nice hot bath when I get home."

"Is it that bad Tess?"

"Well aren't you stiff as a board?" she asked innocently.

Max could feel how tense his shoulder muscles had become.

"Come here for a second and I'll get rid of that for you."

"WHAT?! NO, no Max that's okay," said Tess blushing.

"Why?" asked Max slightly confused by her reaction.

"Well because we are friends and it would feel weird."

Max laughed at this.

"Come on, sit down between my legs and I'll rub your shoulders until the food arrives."

"It does feel kind of stiff back there."

Tess sat between Max's legs and he started to work wonders on her stiff shoulders.

"Oh my god Max that feels soooo good. I didn't realize how stiff I was until you started doing that."

"Shhh Tess, just sit and relax for a bit okay."

Tess closed her eyes and couldn't believe that Max's big, strong, firm hands where now working on her muscles ... at least he was touching her.

He worked his way across her neck and shoulders making sure he was gentle, yet firm. Once he'd finished he removed his hands from her.

"Okay all done. How do you feel now?"

"Max I feel great!!! That was good. I really needed that."

"No problem, that's what friends are for."

Tess couldn't resist it any longer. Max was standing so close to her that she just had to try. She literally threw herself at Max. She locked her arms around his neck and wrapped her legs around his waist. She kissed him hard on the lips.

She made sure that she could see the window though. She wanted to see the look on Liz's face.

At first Max's lips didn't move an inch, he was shocked, disgusted and many other things he didn't really care to mention right now but as soon as she started grinding her crotch into his, he couldn't help the reaction he had. He started to kiss her back.

She immediately tried to deepen the kiss by forcing her tongue in his mouth and this made him realize what a massive mistake this was. He pushed Tess away and tried to remove her from his body.

"Tess I don't want to do this with you. I've told you numerous times that we're just friends. I can't believe you've just done that?"

"Well hey you weren't complaining at first Max. In fact your body responded to mine," she said with a smile on her face.

"This won't happen again Tess and I want you to leave right now!" he was practically shouting at her. He couldn't believe that Maria had been right. All this time he thought of Tess as a good friend, just like Maria was.

He and Maria had always given each other massages and stuff but it never ended like that. He finally realized how stupid he'd been. He honestly thought that he and Tess could be friends but after tonight he wasn't so sure.

What Max failed to realize was, that no matter what he did now, it didn't matter, Liz had seen him responding to her kiss. Tess saw Liz’s eyes widen in shock and then tears started to spill down her ugly face. She wasn’t even bothered if this had ruined her friendship with Max ... it was worth it to see the pain etched on that bitch’s face!

She walked out of the Evans' house smiling. The best thing about this night was Max didn't even know Liz had seen everything. Oh this was going to be good ... now she was going to think about what else she could do to break the freak's spirit.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 13 25/Oct/09

Post by Janetfl »

Thanks for all the wonderful feed back!!!

Carolyn
Lou
Courtney
Eve
Ginger
Monica
Carrie
Natalie36
behr_able
Kris
AvalonRose

Chapter 13.

"Hey Liz, wait up!" shouted Max as he ran down the hallway of the college.

To his surprise Liz didn't stop.

He sprinted a little faster and it didn't take him long to catch up with her. He gently grabbed her arm.

"Hey Liz, it's me," he said as she spun around to look at him.

"What do you want Max?" signed Liz.

"I ... well I ... I just wanted to confirm our date for tonight," Max was a little confused because Liz seemed to be angry with him and he didn't know why.

Liz gave him a sarcastic smile.

"I don't think so Max. I have to go out with my parents tonight. Sorry, I just can't get out of it, maybe another time."

"Oh okay, how about tomorrow night Liz?"

"I have to study," signed Liz.

"Liz have I done something to upset you?" asked Max confused.

"No Max, not at all. I'll see you later," signed Liz before she turned around and walked off leaving a stunned Max behind.

"Well that didn't go how I planned it this morning" thought Max as he walked to his class.

Again neither of them noticed someone watching the display.

Liz was not really looking forward to today's lesson. She knew that she had to face Tess and after last night's little display she wasn't looking forward to it.

She actually did see everything. She saw Tess jump Max, kiss him and then grind her body against his. He started to kiss her back but she stayed long enough to see Max eventually push her away and demand that she leave.

The only problem was, why the hell did he kiss her back in the first place? Did he have feelings for Tess but was denying them because he wasn't sure what he wanted?

After he told her that he couldn't sleep because he was thinking about her she'd believed him. Was he now torn between the two of them?

She couldn't get these questions out of her mind and she knew that Tess was going to be a nightmare to deal with today.

She looked around the class and could see Maria sitting quite close to the front which was unusual for her. She normally sat nearer the back so she could talk.

"Hey Maria," signed Liz.

"Hi Liz, looking forward to your date tonight?"

"Actually I'm not going on a date with Max tonight. I have a family dinner to attend that I'd forgotten about. I've postponed the date with Max."

"Oh? I thought you really liked Max?"

"I do Maria. It's just that we have this rule in our family that once a month we all get together and go out somewhere. Tonight is that night, which I forgot, when I agreed to go."

"Oh okay," replied Maria.

Maria could feel someone approach her from behind and she turned around to see Tess standing there with a massive smile on her face.

"Oh, what's made you so happy this morning Tess? As if I care ..." she said the last part quietly.

"I just wanted to say hi to Liz."

"Yeah right," laughed Maria.

"No seriously I did. Look Liz I think you and I got off on the wrong foot. How about we start over? My name is Tess, it's nice to meet you," said Tess holding out her hand.

Liz just stood up, pushed past Tess and exited the class.

"Well, here's me trying to be friendly and she just shoves me out of the way!"

"Screw you Tess. Don't even think for one minute that I don't know what's going on because I do. If you ever touch Liz again I swear not even Michael could hold me back."

"I never touched Liz Maria. It's not my fault that Max went for me and not her!" said Tess with a smile on her face.

"What the hell are you talking about? Max wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole!"

"Well the way he kissed me last night Maria, I would beg to differ."

"Only in your dreams Tess," sneered Maria.

"Really? Ask Liz, she knows," replied Tess.

"Hey Liz wait up!" shouted Maria pushing past Tess.

When Maria went into the hallway Liz was nowhere to be found.

There was only one place Maria could think she would be so she headed straight for the girls' toilet.

"Hey Liz are you in here," she shouted as she opened the door.

"Great one Maria, how the hell is she supposed to answer you?" she thought to herself.

"Liz sweetie, if you're in here can you please come out or knock on the door?"

One of the toilet cubicle doors opened and out stepped a rather angry looking Liz.

"Okay what the hell is going on Liz?" asked Maria.

"Nothing," signed Liz.

"I've just got the low down from Tess, so don't tell me it's nothing Liz. What's all this about Max kissing Tess? I'm sure it's not true Liz. There is no way he would ..."

"He did Maria, I saw him," signed Liz.

"WHAT!?"

"I went to his house last night to explain that I couldn't go on our date tonight. I tried knocking on the front door but got no response so I went around the back. I saw a light on and peered through the window. Tess was with Max in his room. Now they had been working on something because there were papers spread along the floor but they took a break and Max started to massage Tess' shoulders."

This bit of information made Maria shudder with disgust.

"Okay well he does that to me all the time so it doesn't mean anything."

"They kissed Maria, I saw them."

"For crying out loud, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT MAN!" shouted Maria.

"He eventually pushed her away and demanded that she leave but he did actually kiss her back for a while Maria."

"Okay you have to tell me exactly what happened."

So Liz did. She explained about the massage, the fact that Tess threw herself at Max. Wrapped her arms and legs around him, ground her body against his and this is when Max started to kiss her back.

"I swear to GOD I'm going to kill him. Look Liz, Max has been crazy about you since he was like five years old. He's never really stopped talking or thinking about you. He's not been with any other girl because I believe he was waiting for something or rather someone and I believe it was you. I think maybe that male hormones took over his thick brain for one second but when he realized what he was doing he wanted her to leave. Please don't read too much into this," pleaded Maria. She knew that Max would be cursing himself if he knew that Liz had witnessed what happened last night.

"He kissed her Maria. He must have some sort of feelings for her. Maybe I just got in the way."

"Get that freaking idea out of your head right now!" shouted Maria.

"Yes, get that idea out of your head!" said a voice from the door.

Both Maria and Liz turned around to see who it was.

"ISABEL!" shouted Maria in shock. "How much did you hear?"

"All of it. I also know that she attacked you Liz."

Liz turned to Maria.

"No Liz, Maria didn't tell me, it was someone else. Did you know that when you and Max where talking about your date that Tess was standing a few feet behind and she could hear every word. Alex warned me that she was going to do something so I've been keeping a close eye on her. I think she was trying to get to Max before you did. Unfortunately you had to witness the whole scene. I know for a fact that Max was disgusted last night because he came to talk to me about it."

"See I told you!" said Maria.

"But..."

"There is no but ... Liz. It was Tess's way of trying to keep you away from my brother but it's not going to work. I was waiting for you to come and talk to us all about it but you never did. Why?"

"I don't want anyone else involved Isabel. I've had to deal with this my entire life. I know how to handle people like that."

"Yeah, sure you do Liz. Let them beat you up, put your head in the sand and hope they go away. Well Tess won't go away Liz so you are going to have to stand up to her."

"Please don't tell anyone else. I can deal with this okay."

"I promise I won't tell Max or Michael but Alex already knows," replied Isabel.

Liz rolled her eyes.

"See this is what I didn't want. I don't want people to feel sorry for me and have to defend me all the time. I can stand on my own two feet. I have a lot to deal with right now and I can't be worrying about my friends getting into trouble because of me!" signed Liz.

"What? What do you have to deal with Liz? Tell us, we're your friends and we want to help," said Maria.

"I ... I can't tell you. Just leave me alone okay!" signed Liz and then she stormed off.

"You know what? I think there is more to all this than meets the eye. I'm sure something is very wrong with Liz and I don't think it's just the Tess situation. Have you noticed how bad those dark circles under her eyes are?"

"I know Maria but if she won't open up how the hell are we going to help her?" replied Isabel.

"I don't know, but we've got to do something."

"Other than beat the crap out of my brother you mean?"

This made Maria laugh ... "Yeah besides that."
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 14 03/Nov/09

Post by Janetfl »

Hi, sorry I'm a day late with updating this fic but I was working all night and had to sleep Monday. Anyway here is your update!!! Thanks to everyone who left feed back!!! Makes it worthwhile doing the story!!!

Ginger
Kris
Carrie
Carolyn
behr_able
Courtney
Eve
AvalonRose

Chapter 14.

Max was walking along the corridor when he saw Liz run out of the girl's bathroom looking flustered.

"HEY LIZ!" he shouted trying to get her attention.

She continued on her way without turning around.

"What the hell is wrong with her today?" thought Max as he reached the girl's bathroom.

Just then Isabel and Maria stepped out of the toilet door and both of them slapped him across the back of the head.

"HEY! What the hell was that for?" asked Max rubbing his sore skull.

"For being such a numbskull!" said Maria walking off to her next class.

Max turned to face Isabel.

"I swear Max, if you actually had a brain you would be dangerous!" shouted Isabel in her frustration.

"Isabel, what the HELL IS GOING ON?" asked Max, confused.

"Well if you can't see what's right in front of your nose, I'm not going to be the one to point it out to you. You have to find out for yourself Max and make a decision. I just hope it's the right one."

"Why the hell do women always talk in freaking riddles? Why can't they just say 'Max you've done this or that'?" he thought to himself.

He gently grabbed Isabel's arm and stopped her from leaving.

"Please Isabel, tell me what's wrong."

Isabel really wanted to tell Max the whole story but she'd promised Liz that she wouldn't. She loved her brother dearly but the sacred bond between girlfriends just couldn't be broken.

She knew that this whole thing went a lot deeper than just Tess. She didn't even believe that it had anything to do with her brother ... something else was bothering Liz and she had to find out what. Liz had to learn to trust them.

"You have to work this one out on your own Max," said Isabel looking her brother directly in the eye.

"But..."

She couldn't stand to see the look of confusion on his face so she said the four words that would impact him the most.

"She saw you Max," she turned and left her shocked brother standing in the hallway.

With those words ringing in his ears he made his way towards his next class. Had she known all along that Liz was there? Had she attempted to come between them before anything had even started? Is that why Liz was now cancelling their date?

He had to try and speak to Liz privately ... maybe at lunch he could catch her.

All through his next few classes the only person he could think about was Liz. How could he have spoiled that special connection they seemed to have just by kissing Tess ... and then it hit him like a ton of bricks ... she'd seen him kiss her back.

A pain ripped through his heart at the thought of losing the one person who was constantly a part of his life since that first day. It was her image that kept him going through the many beatings his father had given him over the years.

Once he'd grown into a man his father was fearful of hitting him again. That memory came back full force....

FLASHBACK:

He was eighteen and practicing his basketball shots when his father came into the garden.

"So you've finally decided to get off that lazy ass of yours and practice!" shouted his father.

"I've done nothing but practice since the day I started this stupid sport!" shouted Max.

He was so fed up with being the brunt of his father's frustration. Even though Max was the best player on the field ... if the team failed ... it was Max's fault, even though he'd caught every pass, made every shot at the net, nothing was ever good enough for his father.

"Don't you dare speak to me like that boy!" shouted Philip as he marched over to Max, his fists clenched close to his hips. He was ready for him, wanted to pummel the little shit into the ground for back talking to him. Just one more word and he was entitled to beat the respect into him...

His fist went towards his son's face but it was stopped in its tracks. He tried harder to remove his hand from the tight grip that held it.

"You raise your hand to me one more time old man and I swear you won't have any arms left to punch me with," said Max through gritted teeth.

The look of fear in his old man's eyes spurred Max on.

"You're getting old, I'm getting stronger, who do you think will win next time you try to beat the living crap out of me!" said Max staring his father down with a hatred he never knew he possessed.

Philip took a massive gulp of air knowing his time was up. His son was a man, a man that was willing to defend himself ... but he still didn't want to lose too much face.

"That's it my boy..." he said pretending to be proud of his son "...this is what I've been waiting for ... you're a man now!" he smiled as a look of confusion came across his son's face.

Philip had saved himself from a beating ... a fact that he was most grateful for ... but the loss of control of his son only made him frustrated.

Who or, what was he going to control in his life now? He knew his wife didn't bow down to his threats and his daughter ... well he would never dream of treating her that way ... but his son ... his son had to be made into a man and he believed he'd achieved his goal.

The fact that Max was willing to finally stand up to him made him proud but also a tad worried at the fact that all the abuse he'd suffered at his father's hand would come back to haunt him in his old age ... maybe ... just maybe ... he'd been wrong to treat his only son this way.

"A MAN," Max spat out the words like they were some sort of poison to his system.

"You're sick, do you know that? Sick. You need help," said Max finally letting go of his father's arm.

"Not sick Max, just making you into what you are today!" he shouted.

Max just turned to look at his old man, disgusted by the look on his face.

"I'm moving out. You won't ever see me again," he said before going to pack up his things.

"You don't have money son, where the hell do you think you're going to live without money," laughed his father.

"Oh I've saved more than you realize. I've got enough to see me through college and I've arranged for a dorm over there. I don't need, nor ever want YOUR help," said Max as he turned around and entered the house.

His father stood there dumbfounded, since when had Max been saving? How the hell had he let so much information slip by him?

Two months later both he and Isabel were packing ready to move out of the house. Although her father had never done anything to Isabel she'd known how cruel he'd been to Max. As far as she was concerned, he'd never deserved it. This is why, when Max had told her he was moving out, she begged her to take her with him.

"Please Max. I swear I won't give you any trouble. I'll be on my best behaviour. I don't want to stay here on my own," she whispered out the last part of the sentence.

"Why Iz, dad has never done anything to harm you," said Max in a soothing tone.

She whipped her head up to his face.

"You're kidding me right?" she asked seriously.

"No," said Max kind of confused at what she was getting at.

"You don't think watching him constantly berate you in front of me, hasn't had an effect? I know you only put up with what you did for so long because of me Max. I know you didn't want him to turn his frustrations on me ... so, so you took it all. I want to come with you Max; I don't want to be here with him anymore."

He hugged his sister with all the love that he possessed. He'd never dreamed that this would be as hard for her as it was for him. It was then, that he realized Isabel truly loved him as a brother.

"You can come with me if you wish Isabel, but have you thought about mom?" he asked. Max knew that Isabel and his mother were very close.

"She never did anything to stop it Max. Not once did she jump to your defense ... I want to come with you Max ... you're my family."

Max couldn't believe her heart felt words...

"I never knew you felt this way Isabel," said Max in awe.

"You never asked Max," was her simple reply.

He realized that he'd just assumed stuff about his sister ... just like his dad had assumed things about him.

"I'm so sorry Isabel. Not once did I think about what you were going through, through all of this."

"I don't care Max; you had enough to deal with. All I want is to go with you, we can face anything together and you know that."

He nodded his head in confirmation...

"Pack your bags Isabel, we're going to leave this hell hole," he said with determination in his eyes.

"Thank you Max, thank you for trusting me," she said as she turned to get a suitcase out of her wardrobe.

Even though his sister had been there with him, through everything it was the thought of Liz, that kept him going through the tough times.

He'd always imagined what she would look like now and if, truth be told, he wasn't too far off, but would he love his children or would he be a monster like his father.

This thought terrified him the most and it wasn't until he saw Liz standing in the canteen that he realized that she'd been the center of his universe ever since that first day. Just the thought of meeting her again one day made his miserable life worth living ... and now he'd ruined it.

What the hell could he do to make Liz realize that she was the one for him, the only one? There was only one thought on his mind as he entered the class ... Liz.

"Hey Max," said Tess all sickly sweet when she saw him enter the class. She'd told her friends about the passionate kiss they'd shared that night. They couldn't believe that she'd gotten the one thing that nearly every woman in college had tried to get ... Max's attention.

"Tess..." said Max through gritted teeth.

Her smile faded slightly and she looked around at her friends nervously.

She rose out of her chair and gently placed her hands on his chest and looked up into his handsome face.

"It was great what we shared last night Max," breathed Tess, speaking loud enough for her friends to hear.

He grabbed her arms and threw them down off his chest.

"We didn't share anything last night Tess. As I remember correctly, you threw yourself at me and I told you to get the hell out of my house!" shouted Max.

The class suddenly became quiet and a bright red blush reached Tess' cheeks. She knew how shy Max could be and thought that if she said something in public he would go along with it so he didn't create a scene ... oh but how wrong she was.

He leaned over her menacingly...

"Do you think you've succeeded?" he asked incredulously.

"Well by the look on her face this morning I would say I've done a pretty good JOB!" shouted Tess furious at the way Max was treating her in front of the whole class but she knew that there was no way Max could deny what he'd done.

"Well you see Tess, that's where you are wrong. There is no way that you would ever compare to the woman that Liz is. She's too special to be even tainted by anything you say or do. She's the ONLY one for me and by Christ I am going to prove that to her!" he stated.

"You can't deny that we kissed last night Max," said Tess. She wanted to let her friends know that she hadn't been lying; she'd actually gotten the elusive Max Evans to take notice of her.

"To my disgust Tess, unfortunately your right but the fact that kissing you made me want to vomit was the true wakeup call that I needed, Isabel and Maria where right you are Alex Forrest and I'm the naive Dan Gallagher!"

With Max's statement the whole class virtually erupted in laughter. Tess began to feel uncomfortable.

"Max what the hell are you talking about?" asked Tess confused.

He sighed in frustration, he didn't really want to do this in public but if it meant that it would get her off his back, he would do it.

"AS IN F.A.T.A.L. A.T.T.R.A.C.T.I.O.N." Max spelled it out to her.

"WHAT?!" screamed Tess her anger reaching levels even she thought she was incapable of.

"YOU," said Max gently poking her in the shoulder "ARE CRAZY! BUNNY BOILER CRAZY! HOW CAN I MAKE IT CLEAR! I DON'T FIND YOU ATTRACTIVE IN THAT WAY!" he shouted.

He felt real bad doing this to her in public but he'd finally realized that Tess would accept nothing less. If he was his usual gentleman type then she would just keep walking all over him ... and he couldn't allow it.

As the whole class took in the sight before them, they couldn't help but laugh at Max's fatal attraction reference.

Some of the men in the class knew exactly what Max meant. She'd dated a few of the men in here and it got to the point that they couldn't even talk to another girl without being accused of cheating on her. They'd almost considered getting a restraining order against her but somehow just as they were about to do it ... she turned her attention onto another man.

The fact that Max had publically humiliated her made them feel like some sort of control was taken back in their lives but when they looked at her face they realized that Max had made one of the biggest mistakes of his life... there was no way she'd let him get away with it. It was like a switch had gone off in her head, shutting off all sense of what was right or wrong.

The only person she could see to blame for this was not Max, no her Max was wonderful, he'd kissed her so passionately last night ... no the only person to blame was Liz. She'd made him act this way. It was her who he was doing this for.

She vowed then to do everything in her power to get rid of his little distraction so he could get back on course with her.

That thought was the start of her fall from grace...
Last edited by Janetfl on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 15 12/Nov/09

Post by Janetfl »

Okay back with another update. Sorry it's late ... thanks to everyone who left feed back for me and I should be updating the rest of my fics this week.

Monica
Carolyn
Courtney
Kris
Natalie36
behr_able
Eve
AvalonRose

Drogyn: Wow thanks so much for leaving feed back especially when you don't normally go for the "Tess is evil" fics. I do have some where she's good!!!! Just for this challenge she had to be pure hell on legs!!!

Chapter 15.

After his outburst in class he was quite surprised by the reaction he got. As soon as he’d walked out of the classroom and the uncomfortable silence, a few of the guys he’d never really spoken to came up to him.

“Hey man, I’ve got a lot of respect for you Max. There is no way I’d have done that to her in public,” said one of the guys.

“What do you mean?” asked Max confused.

“Man, are you really that clueless?” he asked looking at Max.

“I don’t understand.”

“You publically humiliated her Max. The only way to get you back is by doing to you, what you’ve done to her but like ... ten times worse. Don’t you know who you are taking on? A lot of the guys around here steer clear of her for that reason Max. She’s positively crazy. I think you are about to find that out,” said the guy as he patted Max on the back and then walked off in a different direction.

He noticed Liz walking in his direction with her head pointed to the floor. He knew that she noticed him, but was just ignoring him.

When she brushed by him without saying a word he gently grabbed her arm and spun her around.

“I know Liz. I know what you saw,” he signed.

“Let go of me Max, I don’t want to do this here,” she signed as she looked around the crowd that was suddenly forming around them.

“I don’t care about them Liz, I only care about you. Can we please talk about this?” signed Max knowing that nobody else would understand.

She looked into his eyes and could tell that he meant every word.

“Meet me at my house tonight, but I’m not promising ANYTHING Max,” she signed the ANYTHING between the universal sign of the ‘quote marks’, with her fingers.

“Fine, what time are you going out with your parents?” he signed.

“Around eight pm.”

“I’ll get there around seven. I want a chance to talk to you before you leave,” he signed.

Liz was unsure how to feel about this. She thought that the connection they shared was something special ... she’d felt it her whole life which is why she never dated anyone else but when she saw Max kiss Tess back, all of her insecurities flooded her mind.

Why would he want someone he couldn’t really talk to? Wasn’t that the basis of any normal relationship? No wonder he’d responded when Tess had kissed him, she was normal.

“I’ve got to go Max,” signed Liz as she scurried off in another direction.

How could he get Liz to believe him? Why the hell did he kiss Tess back in the first place?

That same question was on his mind when he went into his sister’s room last night.

FLASHBACK:

“Is,” he whispered through the door, “Is, are you still awake?”

“Oh for crying out loud Max, if I was asleep I certainly wouldn’t be now, just come in,” she was slightly annoyed with her brother interrupting her thoughts but she heard the desperation in Max's voice and she loved her brother.

When he slowly opened the door, she just had to look at him to know something was wrong...

“What the hell happened Max?” she asked couriously.

“Tess,” was his only reply before Isabel patted the bed beside her, indicating for him to sit down.

“Tell me what happened Max,” said Isabel with concern in her voice.

So he did, he poured his heart out to his sister, something he’d never done before. He told her how much he thought of Liz, how weird it was that he felt this way about her, even though he didn’t really know her. How important she was to him, why she was important and this is what brought a tear to her eye.

She knew Max had suffered at the hands of her father, hell she’d even seen it, but she never realised to what extent. The thought of Liz, who’d lost her parents and had to face the world alone, with no one she really knew, is what kept him going through all the tough times. If she could be strong then so could he.

Liz was like his life line ... had been all along. It was those eyes that haunted him at night, in his sleep, the total look of loss and fear of the unknown in them.

“That is why she is so important to me Isabel.”

“And now Tess has spoiled it by trying to kiss you tonight?” Isabel was a little confused.

“No Isabel, I’ve spoiled it because I kissed her back.”

“WHAT? WHY?”

“I don’t know. I don’t even understand it myself but when I did it just felt ... wrong. I actually wanted to throw up to be honest.”

“Wow, she’s that bad of a kisser,” laughed Isabel trying to ease her brother’s awkwardness.

“This is not funny Isabel,” said Max with a slight smile on his face.

“I know Max. Look it’s no big deal. So you kissed her, found out that you didn’t like it and that was it. You’ve practically lived as a monk Max. You’ve never dated another girl so when Tess threw herself at you ... you just reacted. You don’t like her do you Max?”

“Good god no, I did as a friend but I don’t even think we can be that anymore, not after tonight.”

“Then let her know tomorrow that she overstepped the line and she’s lost your friendship. I could never understand why you were friends with her anyway.”

“Right now Isabel, I’m thinking the same thing!”

Later on that night...

He was pacing his room waiting for those stupid red numbers to change on his clock. He couldn’t leave too early just in case Liz was getting ready to go out. He’d wanted to speak to her today at college so he could put her mind at rest about what she saw last night but she’d avoided him for the rest of the day. He couldn’t wait any longer.

He opened his door and shouted to Isabel that he was on his way out.

“You’re going out?” asked Isabel.

“Yeah, only for about an hour or so and then I’ll be back.”

“Max, are you going to see Liz?”

“Yeah.”

“Listen, right now she’s having a tough time adjusting to a new college and friends. Just be a friend to her first Max and let things take a natural course.”

“Of course I will Isabel, but what makes you think she’s having a tough time?”

“I’m not sure Max. It’s just something I sense from her. Maybe we could all go out one night again. Show her that she’s part of our group.”

“I think she’d like that Isabel and I can’t thank you or our friends enough for making her feel welcome.”

“It’s not hard Max. She seems a really sweet girl. We all liked her the first day we met her.”

“Okay, I’ve got to go. I should be back in an hour.”

“Okay, see you when you get back and you can tell me how it went.”

With that, Max left the house, jumped into the jeep and made his way towards Liz’s house. He couldn’t wait to see her again.

Liz had just finished applying a light base of makeup. She took out her rollers and watched as the spiral curls bounced into position. She took off her bath robe which was covering her dress from the makeup and hung it on the back of her bedroom door.

After she finished she took one last look in the full length mirror and smiled. She heard the door bell ring and internally groaned. She didn’t want to have to face Max tonight; she’d just gotten herself in a good mood to go out.

She heard her mother answer the door and invite Max to come in and sit down in the living room.

She came bouncing down the stairs determined not to let him spoil her evening. As she entered the living room Max’s face dropped and she couldn’t quite read the emotions that were currently flickering across his face.

Max caught a swirl of color out of the corner of his eye and turned to see Liz standing by the door. She looked incredibly beautiful. She had on a yellow summer dress with spaghetti straps. The stark contrast against her tanned skin literally lit her up. He also noticed that her hair was curly but she’d left it down to fall around her shoulders.

He continued his perusal of her, looking slowly down the length of her body, the smooth expanse of her firm, toned legs, finally to rest on the petite yellow, 2 inch heeled sandals she was wearing. He was totally in awe of the sight before him ... that was, until he heard her father’s fake cough at the fact he was leering over his only daughter.

He ripped his eyes away from Liz and had the decency to look a little shame faced as his eyes met the stony look that Mr Parker was giving him.

“Great second impression Max!” he silently berated himself.

“Why don’t you take Max up on the balcony Liz? That way you two can talk in private but we are leaving at eight.”

“That’s fine Mom,” signed Liz, leading a rather flustered Max up the stairs.

They could hear the hushed voices coming from the living room.

“What the hell?” said Jeff through gritted teeth, “Did you not see how he was staring at her?”

“Shhh Jeff, keep your voice down. Yes I did notice how he looked at her but from what Liz tells me he’s a gentleman. Plus I trust Liz and I know nothing will happen while they are up there so just relax would you.”

“He was staring at her like she was a piece of meat Nancy!” complained Jeff.

“No he was staring at her with awe in his eyes Jeff, just like you used to do with me,” reminded Nancy. There was not much arguing with that statement because Jeff used to do exactly the same as Max had done ... in fact he still did.

“Fine but I swear if he touches her then I’m going to have his head on a platter.”

“If and when Liz finally decides to take that step she is certainly old enough to make up her own mind Jeff and I know she will be responsible.”

A funny growl left Jeff’s lips.

“Come on, calm down and let’s have a quick drink before we leave.”

Liz led Max into her bedroom, slightly blushing at all her makeup items spread out on her vanity desk.

“I haven’t had a chance to tidy up yet, after getting ready,” she signed.

“I’m not looking at that Liz,” said Max as he watched her walk through the doors to the balcony.

He could smell the wonderful aroma of some sort of floral scent.

“What is that smell, it’s gorgeous?” asked Max.

“Oh it’s my favorite perfume.”

She indicated with her hand for him to sit in one of the loungers.

She took the one beside him.

“What did you want to talk about Max?” signed Liz.

“Look I know what you saw last night and it’s not what you think.”

“Oh, look Max it’s none of my business what you do with Tess. She’s been your friend for quite some time now and I’ve only just appeared on the scene. You don’t owe me any explanation.”

“I do though Liz. I don’t want you to think that I want Tess in anyway. I pushed her away and sent her home. We are actually not friends right now.”

“I know, I heard how you humiliated her in class.”

Max had the decency to blush.

“I’m not usually that mean Liz but it’s the only way to get it into her brain. I’ve told her time and time again that we are just friends, and then she pulls that stunt last night. I had to make sure she backed off.”

“I saw you Max, I saw you kiss her back,” signed Liz with a look of hurt in her eyes.

Max couldn’t believe the pain etched across her face. He finally realised just how much he’d screwed up. She had the same feelings for him, as he did her.

“Look Liz, I know we’ve only just gotten to know each other but I’ve always held a special place for you in my heart. I can’t explain why, but I’ve never dated anyone ... just because someday I knew I would see you again. I know that sounds corny as hell but it’s the truth. What happened last night shouldn’t have happened and I broke the kiss and told her to leave. I don’t want to be with her Liz. I have no feelings for her. It’s you I want, it has always been you.”

At this moment in time Liz didn’t quite know what to think. She was surprised at his heart felt words. She had always had the same kind of feeling as Max and that’s why she’d never really dated, but he still did kissed Tess back. Surely that meant that he had some sort of feelings for her. She just couldn’t decide right now.

“Look Max, I appreciate the fact that you came over here to tell me this but right now it doesn’t change anything for me. You don’t owe me any explanations because I’m not your girlfriend, you haven’t cheated on me or anything and you have a right to kiss whomever you wish. Did it hurt to see it, yes it did. Will I get over it, probably, but you have to give me space so that I can decide Max.”

“You mean be your friend first and see how it goes?” he asked with hope in his eyes.

“We will always be friends Max, no matter what.”

Well that wasn’t a yes, but it wasn’t an outright no either.

“So you’re going to stop avoiding me at school?” asked Max.

A smile graced her beautiful lips...

“Yeah, I’m going to stop avoiding you at school.”

“Okay well I’m going to go before your dad comes up here and attacks me for staring at you the way I did. I have to say though Liz, you look gorgeous tonight ... I just wish it was our date that’s all.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow at school Max,” signed Liz.

He knew that she had taken the compliment because she had blushed profusely but he also knew that winning her over wasn’t going to be easy. He knew that he would have to approach this carefully but he just had to tell her how gorgeous she looked tonight.

“I’ll take you downstairs,” signed Liz, leading the way.

It was Nancy who popped her head around the door.

“It’s good to see you again Max, see you soon.”

“Thank you Mrs Parker, the same goes here. Please enjoy your evening out.”

“Oh I plan on doing just that,” she said with a twinkle in her eye.

“Bye Max,” signed Liz after opening the front door for him.

“See you tomorrow Liz.”

Max jumped in the jeep and headed on home. He thought it had gone fairly well tonight. She didn’t outright reject him but he knew he had a lot of work to do before she would believe he really wanted her and he understood why.
Last edited by Janetfl on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 16 23/Nov/09

Post by Janetfl »

Thank you to all those wonderful people who were kind enough to leave feed back for this story!!!

Lou
Courtney
AvalonRose
Natalie36
Drogyn
Carolyn
Carrie
behr_able
Ginger
Eve

Chapter 16.

It had been a few months since Max had totally embarrassed Tess in front of the whole class. He was still waiting for the fallout but she hadn’t done anything yet.

He actually started to believe that maybe, just maybe, he had finally got it through that thick skull of hers that he was in no way interested in her.

Since that day she had avoided him like the plague. He honestly thought that it wouldn’t take her long to retaliate but it seemed as if his point had gotten across. She gave him a wide berth at college, sitting away from him in all the classes they shared, not even bothering to acknowledge he was there, which actually suited him fine.

He wanted to prove to Liz that what she had seen that night was a mistake; that he only had eyes for her, but that seemed to be falling on deaf ears as well. She had kept her promise not to avoid him at school but their relationship was still strained at the best of times.

Every time he tried to get close to her, emotionally, she would pull back and be distant with him. He had tried his hardest to get her to go out with him, just as a friend, but no matter what he came up with, she always found an excuse.

Max had been trying to find her all day at college but nobody seemed to know where she was. He had asked her usual friends and had bugged the hell out of Maria but she didn’t even know where Liz was, in fact she had expressed her own concern, saying that there had to be a damn good reason for Liz not showing up.

Max had an awful feeling at the pit of his stomach and decided that maybe it was time to pay a visit to the Parker household straight after classes had finished.

It wasn’t until he stood outside the front door of her house that he simply knew something was wrong, he couldn’t describe how he knew; he just did.

He gently tapped on the door, more out of respect than anything else. When he saw the very pale and sad looking Nancy opening the door, his heart leapt into his mouth.

“Mrs ... Mrs P ... Parker?” he stuttered not liking the look on her face.

“Hey Max, it’s good to see you.”

“Well, I ... I noticed Liz wasn’t in college today so I took as many notes as I could in the classes she has missed and got a copy of the work. I thought I’d just bring it over to her, so, so if she’s sick she won’t miss out.”

It was the tears that started to run down Nancy’s face that made his heart clench tightly in his chest, almost choking him.

“Mrs ... N ... Mrs Parker, is Liz okay?”

The barely whispered ‘no’ that passed her lips was almost lost on Max, almost.

“W ... what’s going on Mrs Parker?”

“I’m sorry Max, but Liz is in the hospital. She was savagely attacked last night, beaten to within an inch of her life, they ... they said it was lucky she pulled through ... that she was a fighter. Jeff and I have been with her all night, we only came home to get showered and changed, and then we are heading back to the hospital. We have no idea who or why someone would do something like this to our ... to our...baby...” she couldn’t talk anymore as the sobs finally escaped from the back of her throat.

Max didn’t know what possessed him but he boldly moved and encased Nancy in his arms.

“I’m so sorry Nancy; I promise you ... I will find out who did this to Liz. I swear to you on my life...”

He felt her head nod against his shoulder and then she pulled back.

“She’s in the University of New Mexico Hospital with critical head and chest injuries. The police haven’t been able to interview her yet because she’s still unconscious. We ... we’ve tried to get through to her Max but ... there’s nothing. The doctors say it may take her some time to recover her memory of that night, if at all.”

Max’s blood ran cold, he never thought he would be a man who could kill another human being but when he heard that Liz was hurt ... after everything she had been through, made him almost insane with murderous rage.

“I ... I ha ... have to go and ... s ... see her. Is that okay?” he asked, worried that Nancy would say no. Maybe Liz had explained what had happened between the two of them a few months back.

“Go; see if you have any effect on her. Maybe she needs to hear your voice; she always did hold a special place in her heart for you Max.”

At this moment in time, he very much doubted that point, but never voiced his opinion.

“I’ll do whatever it takes Mrs Parker, that I promise you,” he said, before walking away from the door and climbing numbly into the jeep.

After Nancy closed the front door of the house, Max pulled out his cell phone. He was actually terrified of what he might do if he found out who had done this to Liz, so he called the one person who would understand and who he truly trusted to be able to stop him from doing something stupid.

“Michael? It’s Max, we have a problem...”

When Max pulled up outside the hospital he couldn’t believe that it wasn’t only Michael that had arrived. Standing before him, with worried looks on their faces, was Alex, Isabel, Michael and Maria.

Max made his way towards the group, with a look of pure rage on his face.

“Max, I’m sorry man, but Maria overheard our conversation and ... she ... well she thought the rest of the group needed to know. We all care about Liz ...”

“It’s not you I’m mad at Michael. I swear if I find out who did this to Liz ...”

Michael patted Max on the back hard.

“I know man; I would be the same if it was Maria. What the hell is going on?”

“I’m not sure of all the details but Liz was attacked last night, Nancy said, within an inch of her life. The doctors reckon it was a miracle that she actually pulled through. She’s unconscious and nobody has been able to get through to her. The police are apparently waiting to talk to her but the doctors don’t think that she will remember the attack, at least not for a little while anyway.”

“Who the fuck would hurt Liz like that Max?”

Maria and Isabel exchanged a look that didn’t go un-noticed by Alex, but decided not to mention it at this present time. They both knew something and he was going to find out what! He couldn’t believe that, after everything Liz had been through, someone would do something like this to her.

“I’m ... I’m sorry to ask you this, but do you guys mind if I go into her room alone first? I ... I want to see the dam...”

“Max, it’s okay. We understand,” said Isabel, placing her hand on his shoulder. “Go and see her first, we can come in later, once you’ve had some alone time with her.”

“Thank you...” Max whispered, at his sister's total understanding of his feelings.

His hands were all sweaty as he walked up to the reception area of the hospital.

“Hello, my name is Max Evans and I’m here to see Liz Parker who was brought in last night?”

“Ah, yes, Mrs Parker phoned and told us that you were allowed to see her. You’re her boyfriend, right?”

Max was a little stunned by this statement, but then realized why Nancy had cleared him. It was only close family or friends that would be allowed to see her.

“Yes, that’s right.”

“She’s in room 204, down the corridor, to the right, the door at the end on the left.”

“Thank you.”

As he walked into the hospital room and saw the only person he really ever, truly loved, lying there with tubes coming out of her nose and mouth almost made him want to vomit. Her face was swollen to twice its original size. Her eyes mere slits, covered in black and blue bruises. Her lip was split in one corner. Max hardly recognized her.

Liz’s arms were above the covers; her right arm a horrible looking shade of purple spread from the shoulder right down to her hand and intravenous drip going into the swell of the fold of her arm.

He couldn’t believe how bad she looked, it was such a shock. No wonder Nancy was in shock when he had approached the house.

He could feel the rage rise inside of his body. He wanted to kill, whoever had done this to her. Then a horrible thought entered his head and he fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face. What if, whoever had attacked her had actually ... actually ... he couldn’t bring himself to even think the word, let alone speak it.

It was then that he heard a ruckus going on outside the door of her room. He realized that it was his friends, who had waited long enough to find out the condition of Liz. He forced himself to stand up and be strong for Liz. He had to do this, until she was better. Then, and only then could he let rip the anger he felt.

He stepped outside of the room and found four, very concerned friends looking at his pallid complexion.

“Max, how is she?” asked Maria.

“She’s, well she’s ...” he couldn’t get the words out of his mouth.

Maria had turned around to the doctor who had blocked their path to Liz.

“Well?” she asked, with her hands on her hips and her foot tapping on the floor.

“She’s still in critical condition. Look I’m sorry; I know this must be incredibly difficult for all of you but I can’t let you in to see her. She needs her rest, she was lucky to pull through at all. A broken rib had pierced her lung, how the hell she survived, well it’s beyond me. Let’s just say, someone from up there," she pointed her finger into the air, "someone up there decided it wasn’t her time to go just yet. She’s still unconscious and even if she does wake up there is no telling if there is brain damage until we can assess her properly. I’m so sorry, but that’s the best I can offer.”

Everyone was stunned into silence, they knew it was going to be bad, but never expected that bad.

“Was she ... was she...” the ball constricted Max’s throat wouldn’t move and he couldn’t get the question out.

“Oh my god, please tell me she wasn’t!” shouted Maria, finally realizing what Max was trying to ask.

The rest of the group all turned slowly to look at the doctor, expecting her answer.

“Was she raped? No, we did a rape kit test, which we won’t get the results from for quite some time, but her hymen is still intact and there was no vaginal bruising or tearing. It seems that whatever the motive was for this attack, it wasn’t sexual.”

“Listen, I have to get back in there. I’m not leaving her side until her parents get here, just in case she wakes up.

“Then we will stay here too Max,” said Michael, with determination. He was worried about what Max would do if he was left alone.

“No, go home. Mr and Mrs Parker will be here soon. I promise that I will phone you if there is any change in her condition.”

Just as he spoke, Jeff and Nancy walked around the corner and headed straight for the group of people standing outside their daughter’s room.
Last edited by Janetfl on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 17 17/Dec/09

Post by Janetfl »

Okay I finally got time to do another update. So sorry but Russ has just been confirmed with Swine Flu as well so it's pretty hectic! :lol: I'm writing when they've all gone to bed so until they are better my updates might be a little sporadic.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful feed back, you guys keep me going!!!!

Ginger
Lou
Kris
Courtney x2
Drogyn
Carolyn
Natalie36
AvalonRose
behr_able
Carrie
Eve
Destiny
Ellie

Chapter 17.

“What the hell is going on here!?” shouted Jeff, storming towards the crowd of people gathered outside his daughter's room.

“Jeff, JEFF!” whispered Nancy, in a harsh tone, grabbing his arm.

“What?” asked Jeff, turning towards his wife.

“These are her friends from college Jeff,” said Nancy, pointing towards Max.

It was Maria who approached the couple first.

“Mr. and Mrs. Parker, I’m sorry that we have not been introduced under better circumstances. My name is Maria and these are my friends, Liz’s friends actually. I know we’ve only known her for a few months, some of us more than others,” she said, looking across at Max, “but in the short time we have known Liz, she’s become very special to us and we just wanted to find out what happened and what her condition is. I’m terribly sorry if we are intruding.”

“I’m sorry, you’re not intruding. I’ve just been really jumpy since I found out what they ... they did to her,” said Jeff, trying to keep his emotions in check.

“Mr. and Mrs. Parker,” said Max, moving forward.

“Did you manage to get in there Max? Did you get through to her?” asked Nancy.

“I think our arrival prevented Max from doing that, we’re terribly sorry,” explained Isabel.

“I could try now if you like,” offered Max.

Nancy just nodded her head, right now she would try anything to get a response out of her daughter, but she wasn’t holding out much hope.

As Max opened the door to Liz’s room he could hear the fast consistent beep of the heart machine that was currently attached to her.

As Max approached the bed he suddenly got a feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach. What if his presence somehow made her worse? What if she didn’t really want him to be there? He wasn’t even sure if they could actually class themselves as friends anymore.

No, he shook those thoughts from his mind. He couldn’t let her, or her parents, down now. She needed him to be a friend and that is exactly what he intended to be. He decided that the awkwardness was more on his part than on hers and that he would bury his feelings for now and just be there when she needed him.

He pulled a chair up next to her bed and sat down. Although he had witnessed her injuries earlier, up close they seemed that much worse.

“Liz, it’s Max. I don’t know if you can hear me right now, but the doctors think that you might be able to even if you can’t respond. You’re in the hospital at the moment and you have a very big group of friends outside your door, worried sick about you. Your parents have been here all night and they thought that maybe, just maybe, I would be able to get through to you.”

He felt stupid talking to her when she couldn’t respond but he swallowed that feeling and carried on.

“I don’t think they realize that our relationship has been a little strained lately, but I don’t care about that right now Liz. All I care about is you. I want you to know that I’m here as a friend and I’m sorry if I hurt you. Do you still remember how we met? If you don’t, then let me tell you ...”

She felt cold, incredibly cold and when she opened her eyes it was pitch black. God she hated places like this. She had never really had an overactive imagination but something about this place seemed rather familiar, even though she couldn’t see why.

She realized that she was lying on a rather hard, cold surface and decided to get up to see if she could get some sort of warmth into her body. The only problem was when she tried to stand, or even sit up, none of her body parts would move. It was if she was encased in some sort of force field, holding her down.

A sheer feeling of terror travelled through her body, like when you’re in one of those nightmares where you are running from someone and yet you stay in the same spot while they advance on you.

That’s when the twisted mangled remains of her parents came into view.

She could never get used to the sight of her parents burnt bodies. She fought the urge to vomit as they came closer, holding out their bony charred hands. She didn’t want them to touch her; she still remembered the feeling of burnt skin and bone touching her leg from their previous visit.

She recoiled from their touch as much as she could but couldn’t get out of the nightmare. Now was around the time that she would wake up and see them in her room but she was trapped.

That’s when she suddenly heard the deep velvet voice invade her foggy mind and wrapped her in a cocoon of safety and warmth. The horrible images of her parents faded into the background only to be replaced by a familiar sight.

She was standing in the hospital corridor watching herself as a young girl walking around looking frightened and lost. That’s when she saw him. The boy with the most incredible soulful eyes she had ever seen.

He was the only person, beside the doctors, that had shown her any kindness. He offered to help her find her parents and that’s when she saw the look of pain shoot across the face of her younger self.

She noticed the little boy watching her intently, realizing that he had upset her in some way he did his best to alleviate her pain.

She watched the beseeching look he gave his mother as he innocently asked her to take her home with them and then the look of distraught on his face as she explained to him that it just wasn’t possible.

“God Liz, I will never forget that day. I can’t understand why that made such an impression on me but it did and I’ve waited for you for so long. I know I fucked up and that I’ve lost you but please, I swear, I just want you to come back to me. I’m prepared to be just friends with you if it means you come back to us, so just fight okay!” Max said with determination, as the tears fell down his face.

She looked so frail lying in that bed.

NO! NO! That’s not what she wanted!! She was on her way to tell him that when she was attacked!!! She wanted to return to him. She had seen how much he really cared for her, how each time she pulled away from him the hurt flashed in his eyes.

She couldn’t explain why, but since that day, nobody would even come close to capturing her heart, that’s why it hurt so bad when she saw him kiss Tess back.

But she wanted to forgive him for that, he’d done his best to make it up to her.

That’s when her vision changed again and she could see her own battered and bruised body lying in the bed. She watched as Max gently took her hand, tears streaming down his face, trying to encourage her to wake up.

“M ... M ... Max, I’m here!” she shouted.

Her voice sounded strange to her ears, raspy sort of deep, unused for a long time.

She watched as he wiped away a tear off his cheek and then gently lay her hand back down on the bed. He turned his head towards the door as someone entered.

“Any luck Max?” asked Nancy, and then gasped as he turned to face her. She could see the pain in his eyes because he had failed her.

“Mrs. P ... I mean Nancy, I can’t get through to her, I’ve tried but there is no response,” he replied, distraught.

Nancy went up to the young man that had seemed to captured her daughter’s heart.

“Max, it’s okay. I know that you are important to Liz and I thought that maybe, just maybe, you would be able to get through to her but the doctors told us that it might take some time before she wakes up.”

“I’ll come every day after college.”

“MAXXXX!!!!! I’M HERE!!!!” shouted Liz but no sound came out of her mouth.

She was getting frustrated at her situation. She could see what was going on around her but couldn’t break that final chain that was holding her consciousness.

She had never wanted to scream so much in all her life. She wanted to be able to talk to Max to tell him how she really felt.

The sudden increase in the heart monitor didn’t go unnoticed by Max or Nancy.

“What the...”

“NURSE!” shouted Nancy, as the heart monitor began to incessantly beep.

Jeff ran into the room to check what was happening. He’d heard the heart monitor increase and then heard his wife shouting.

He watched as his daughter looked like she was fighting some unseen threat. She was thrashing about in the bed and mouthing something that he couldn’t understand.

“NURSE!” shouted Jeff, getting more panicked by the look on his daughters face. She was looking more and more distressed by the second. He was sure all that thrashing around wasn’t doing her injuries any good.

There was a sudden influx of doctors and nurses surrounding his daughter trying to calm her down.

“Get me 20 mg’s of Benzodiazepine now!” shouted the doctor.

A nurse ran out of the room and quickly returned with a syringe. She placed it into the tube that was already leading into Liz’s arm.

“We need to get her relaxed before she does more damage to her body,” said the doctor in explanation.

“NO!” screamed Liz. She could feel her body drift back to herself on the bed.

“NO!!! I need Max to understand. I need ...” and that is when the darkness overtook her again.

As Liz finally settled on the bed, both the parents and Max were shocked into silence.

“What the hell was that?” Jeff asked the doctor.

“It’s not uncommon for that to happen. She might have been trying to fight to stay under because her brain couldn’t deal with the reality of the situation at the moment or ...”

“OR WHAT?” asked Nancy.

“Or she might have slight brain damage which is causing a seizure. I’m so terribly sorry but we won’t know until she wakes up.”

Nancy burst into tears and Jeff engulfed her in a comforting hug.

“Don’t worry, we don’t know for sure yet. Knowing our Lizzie she would have been fighting to wake up.”

Max couldn’t intrude on their private time anymore and as he went for the door it was only Nancy’s voice that stopped him.

“Please don’t go Max. I know Liz would want you to be here.”

“I ... I don’t want to intrude.”

“You’re not, is he Jeff?” asked Nancy, turning towards her husband.

“Max I know how important you are to my daughter and I know she would want you here, so feel free to stay as long as you like.”

“Thank you. I’m just going home to get a shower and something to eat and then I’ll return.”

“Okay see you soon,” replied Nancy.

“Oh, hey, did they say who found Liz?” asked Max, trying not to sound too interested.

“Yeah, someone by the name of Kyle Valenti phoned it in. He was the one that found her.”

“Okay, thanks again and I’ll be back shortly.”

With that Max left the room and looked at the concerned faces of his friends.

“What the hell just happened in there Max?” asked Isabel.

“The doctor thought she was either fighting to wake up or she has slight brain damage which is causing her to seizure.”

Everyone in the group of friends stared and opened their mouths in horror.

“Are you saying that this could possibly be permanent?” asked Maria.

“They won’t know until she wakes up,” explained Max.

Again the look that passed between Maria and Isabel didn’t go unnoticed by Alex.
Last edited by Janetfl on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 18 09/Jan/10

Post by Janetfl »

Sorry about the long break but Christmas and New Year is hectic, as I'm sure you are aware. Thank you to everyone who left feed back and bumps!!!!

Carolyn
Carrie x 2
Ellie x2
Ginger
Drogyn
Natalie36 x2
Lou
Eve
Courtney
AvalonRose

Thanks for the bumps, they finally forced my butt to sit in the chair and type this update!! :lol: :lol:

Chapter 18

“You should all go back to the campus. I’m sure Mr. and Mrs. Parker need time alone with Liz,” said Max, to the rest of the group.

Maria was about to protest.

“I promise I’ll call you if there is any change in her condition. We can’t all stay here, the hospital won’t allow it,” said Max.

“I’ll drive Isabel and Maria back to campus,” said Alex.

“Hey, what about me?” asked Michael. They had all come in the same car.

“I’ll drop you off at the campus Michael. I’ve got to go home, shower, change and then come back here,” offered Max.

“I guess I’ll see you later then Maria,” said Michael, as he headed towards the parking lot with Max.

Michael and Max were on their way back to campus when Michael couldn’t keep his mouth shut any longer.

“What the hell was that back there, Max?” asked Michael.

“I have no idea,” said Max.

“Why do you think Alex didn’t want to give me a lift back?”

“He probably needs to speak to the girls alone. You know what he’s like. He’s been Maria’s best friend, well since they were born!”

“Do you think it has anything to do with Liz?” asked Michael.

Max turned to look at Michael quickly, before turning his attention back to the road.

“What makes you think that?”

“I don’t know. Just a feeling I got.”

“If it was about Liz, surely he would have said something in front of us?”

Michael couldn’t quite explain how he was feeling and it was driving him nuts. Perhaps Max was right. Maybe Alex just needed his ‘girlfriends’ around him at the moment, but it was the way Alex had given Maria a pointed look that had him concerned. He decided to drop the subject, for now.

“What the hell was that about?” asked Maria.

“I need to talk to you and Isabel, alone,” stated Alex.

The way he said it did not sit well with Maria. She knew that Alex had something serious on his mind and she wracked her brain to think what it could be.

After they left the hospital and entered the car, Alex didn’t waste any time.

“I know you two are hiding something and I want to know what it is right now!” demanded Alex.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” said Maria.

“I’ve seen those looks you keep on giving each other. You think it was Tess that attacked Liz, don’t you?”

It was Isabel that spoke first.

“Yes we do Alex, but we have no proof.”

“What more proof do you need? She’s already attacked her once at school!”

“She also embarrassed Liz in front of the whole class the other day. Saying how Liz couldn’t possibly get the points for class participation because she couldn’t actually participate.”

“SHE DID WHAT?” shouted Alex.

Even Isabel hadn’t heard this bit of information.

“Oh that’s it!” shouted Isabel, “I swear that bitch is going down!”

“Not if I get to her first,” said Maria, through clenched teeth.

“Why haven’t you informed Max? Surely he would set her straight if you told him what was going on,” said Alex.

“Liz made us promise we wouldn’t. If we betray her trust now Alex, she might not give it again,” said Isabel.

“We just have to keep a closer eye on her. Make sure she’s never alone,” said Maria.

Alex scoffed.

“How the hell are we supposed to do that Maria? She doesn’t stay on campus and it’s not like we can walk her home every day.”

“Well there has got to be something we can do!” said Maria.

“Tell Max,” replied Alex.

“That’s not an option right now Alex and we’ve explained why!” said Maria, frowning at her best friend.

“Why won’t Liz tell anyone else what’s going on?” asked Alex.

“I think she’s too proud Alex. She’s been dealing with prejudice for most of her life. She thinks she can cope with this alone. I thought so too at first, but after today, I’m not so sure” said Maria.

“Okay, I agree that Tess has been a complete bitch to Liz and I KNOW she’s after Max. I have to say that the injuries Liz received in no way could be caused by just one person. So either Tess had a group of her friends beat up Liz, or it’s a totally unrelated matter and Liz was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” said Alex.

“That’s the whole point, we don’t have any evidence. I guess we’re just going to have to wait for Liz to wake up and see if she remembers,” said Maria.

“Until then, we just keep an eye on Tess,” said Alex.

Diane was just preparing dinner when she heard the front door slam open. In walked a rather disheveled looking Max.

“Max, what’s going on?” asked his Mom, concerned.

“I don’t have time to explain right now mom. Liz is in the hospital. Isabel should be home soon and she’ll explain. I’ve got to get back as soon as possible.”

Max rushed by his mom and made his way up the stairs two at a time.

Diane didn’t know what to say to her son. She knew that this girl was very special to him. He had been talking about her ever since the first time he met her in that hospital all those years ago. Diane would have gladly tried to adopt the young orphan but Phillip was beating her on a regular basis and she didn’t want to add another child to the hell she now called her life.

When Diane first met Phillip he was a kind and gentle soul, or so she thought. She now realized that was all an act. He conned her into thinking he was this wonderful person, when in fact he was a complete monster.

After a few years of dating Phillip finally asked her to marry him. Diane was so happy. She worshipped the ground he walked on. Her mother had tried her hardest to break up the relationship, maybe she could see the monster lurking behind the façade but whatever the reason, Diane didn’t listen.

The first two years of their marriage was total bliss. He was kind and considerate, always buying her flowers or a small little gift to say he loved her. When she told him she was pregnant he was so happy.

Then she gave birth to the twins and everything changed. Diane tried her best to keep up with the feeding regime the babies demanded, cleaning up when they got sick, changing diapers, cleaning the house and ironing.

Phillip would still expect everything to be the same though. When he came home there should be no clothes hanging on the dryer, dinner should be on the table at a specific time every night, his shirts should be ironed to crisp perfection and his trousers pressed.

She would never forget the first time she didn’t get dinner ready on time. Both Isabel and Max had been ill that day and demanded all of her attention. She was completely worn out by the time her husband arrived home.

He had gone straight upstairs to change. She would never forget that evening.

FLASHBACK

Phillip walked into the kitchen after changing from his work clothes. He stopped in the doorway and looked at the table.

“Diane, where’s my dinner?”

“The kids have been sick today Phillip. I’ve only just managed to get them off to sleep. It’s been a tough day. What would you like me to make you?”

Now even though Diane felt like just collapsing she wanted to make her husband something to eat because he’d been out at work all day.

“I have some of those oven meals that you like. How about I put some sausage and mash under. It should only take about thirty to forty minutes.”

For a moment something strange passed through his eyes and then it was gone.

“That will be fine dear. Let me know when it’s ready.”

Phillip left the kitchen and started to watch TV in the next room.

Diane was so happy that she didn’t have to cook anything from scratch, she was just exhausted. She placed the tray in the oven and set the timer for thirty minutes. She would check to see if it needed more cooking then.

She knew Phillip was always parched after his long journey home so she served him some ice cold tea.

“Thanks pet, that’s very kind of you,” said Phillip, drinking a gulp of the sweet brown liquid.

Thirty minutes later his dinner was on a plate in the dining room.

“Honey, you’re dinner is ready. I’m just going to pop into the bath and then I think I’ll go to bed. The twins will have me up in a few hours,” said Diane, as Phillip sat by the table.

Everything that happened next was a blur. She felt a pain rip through the back of her head as Phillip fisted her hair.

“YOU THINK THIS IS FUCKING GOOD ENOUGH WHEN I’VE BEEN WORKING ALL DAY!” he shouted, as he slammed her face in the hot dinner.

“I DON’T GIVE A FUCK HOW TROUBLESOME THOSE LITTLE BRATS HAVE BEEN! MY DINNER IS TO BE READY WHEN I GET HOME! UNDERSTAND?”

Just for good measure he slammed her face back into the meal before pushing it off the table.

“NOW LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO? CLEAN IT UP!”

He kicked the back of her knees and she fell to the floor, in front of the mess he had created.

Ever since that day she had tried her best not to anger him, but sometimes that wasn’t enough.

END FLASH

A visible shudder ran through Diane’s body as she remembered that day. She should have done something then. Taken the kids and just run, but back in those days it was acceptable for a man to hit their wife if they were being disobedient. Everyone just turned a blind eye.

It was only when domestic abuse became a criminal act that Diane divorced Phillip. Isabel and Max gave evidence against their father and Diane moved to Albuquerque with them. What Isabel and Max didn’t realize was that Diane had bore the brunt of the abuse.

He always gave her an option whether she should get the punishment or Max. It was a simple reply, it was always herself that deserved it, not Max. Again, all that changed when Phillip insisted Max take up basketball. If Max didn’t win the game, he would be beaten. Nothing Diane did or said would save him from that. It didn’t happen often, but it was enough.

“I don’t know when I’ll be back. I’m going to wait at the hospital until she’s awake,” said Max, walking towards the front door.

“Honey, don’t you think that will be intruding on her parents' time with her?”

“They’ve asked me to go back. They think I can somehow get through to her, and I’m not going to let them down.”

“Well, take these with you.”

Diane had prepared a few sandwiches, fruit and a flask of coffee to take with him.

“Thanks mom. I promise Isabel will explain everything, I’ve got to go.”

Diane turned around to give her son a kiss but he was already gone. She just shook her head and smiled. Yes, this Liz Parker must be one special woman to win her son's heart.
Last edited by Janetfl on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 19 28/Feb/10

Post by Janetfl »

Hey everyone, so sorry I've been gone so long but I've been working a lot more than usual so haven't had much time to write. Plus I've had severe writers block again but I'm hoping it's cleared. Thanks for all the congratulations on my awards as well!!!!

A huge thanks to everyone that supports this fic and leaves feed back!!!

Carrie x 2
Natalie36
Ellie
Carolyn x 3
AvalonRose
Lou
Ginger
Eve
Drogyn
Courtney x 2
behr_able
zaneri1
Destiny

Chapter 19

Max knocked loudly on the door as he waited for a response from the occupant. He really needed him to be there today. He had to find out some information that would help.

Kyle Valenti was well known around the UNM campus. He was one of the top players next to Max of course. He also had a strong academic record which was one of the reasons Max actually liked him. You couldn’t call them the best of friends but Max had attended a couple of parties Kyle had thrown after they’d won a game.

It had been a late night for Kyle. He’d spent most of it at a police station explaining how he’d discovered the body of a girl he didn’t even recognize as Liz Parker until the policeman had questioned him about her.

Now Kyle didn’t know that much about Liz but he did remember the first time he laid eyes on her. She was this shy, chocolate brown haired beauty that entered the canteen and clung on to Alex as everyone turned to look at the group that had entered, thanks to Maria’s big mouth.

He thought she was attractive and even had the idea of getting to know her better, that was, until he saw the looks being exchanged between her and Max. He knew then that she was off limits. Max had never given his full attention to any other woman in the whole campus. Something about this girl was special. He could see all the envious looks she got from the girls that had practically thrown themselves at Max with no result.

Kyle awoke to constant knocking on his door. He shook the last remnants of sleep out of his fizzled brain and opened the door.

“This better be good because ...”

Kyle stopped when he realized who was standing in front of him.

“I was wondering how long it would take you to come here. Come on in,” offered Kyle.

“I woke you, I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay Max. I understand considering the circumstances. Do you want a drink or something?”

“No, to be honest I’m on my way back to the hospital to see Liz. I just want to know what happened Kyle.”

Kyle motioned for Max to sit down on the sofa while he took the chair opposite of him.

“There’s not much I can tell you Max. I was walking back from Jimmy’s house around ten pm. I heard this real funny noise coming from one of the side passages through the houses. I could see some figures crouching down, at the time I didn’t know what they were looking at.

Then one of them stood up. I could see he was about to kick whatever was lying on the floor so I shouted. The three of them ran off. It was dark down the passageway Max, I couldn’t see their faces. I can’t even tell you if they were male or female, not for sure. I explained to the police that the only reason I thought they were male was because of their size, but in truth I couldn’t swear to it.

Then I heard that awful noise and I realized it was coming from the person lying on the floor. I ran over to body, who I now know was Liz, although I couldn’t tell it was her. Her face was such a mess Max. I nearly puked when I saw the state she was in.

I tried not to go near her because I didn’t want to disturb the crime scene. As you know, my dad is the Sheriff back in Roswell so all that kind of stuff is in my blood. I knew it was important if they were going to catch the bastards that did this to her. I felt for a pulse and it was barely there.

I sat down, called 911 and waited with her until they arrived. They took me to the station to get my statement and I was there for quite some time. At first they thought it was me who attacked her because I was with her I guess. When I pointed out the severe lack of blood anywhere on my body they realized I was telling the truth. They took my statement and then I came home. I only knew it was Liz because they asked me about her. They found her I.D. in her purse.”

“So there were three of them that attacked Liz?”

“Well, three that ran away. I only witnessed one going to kick her.”

“They didn’t talk or do anything that you could identify them?” asked Max, hopefully.

“I’m sorry man, there’s nothing more I can tell you. I’ve told you the exact same thing I told the police. I would have chased them but the sight of her lying on that floor; I had to make sure she was safe until the police arrived.”

“Why, why would anyone want to hurt her?”

“I don’t know Max. Maybe she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Was she ...” Kyle couldn’t bring himself to ask the question.

“No, she wasn’t raped thank god.”

“I don’t know why they would attack her Max. Maybe that’s what they intended when I showed up, who knows why people do these things.”

“Thank you,” said Max, looking directly at Kyle.

“For what?”

“For staying with her, for making sure she was safe until someone arrived.”

Kyle didn’t quite know how to respond to that. He would have done it for anyone in that situation.

“No problem,” was all he could think of saying at the time.

“I’d better get back to the hospital.”

Kyle stood and went to see Max out of his room.

“How is she Max?”

“Right now, the doctors aren’t sure if she has any damage to the brain. She seemed to have a seizure when I was there last. They couldn’t tell if it was her trying to wake up, fight to stay under because she couldn’t cope with what happened to her or her brain got damaged in the attack and she’s now having epileptic seizures. They won’t know anything until she wakes up.”

“Would you do me a favor?” asked Kyle.

“Sure, anything.”

“Will you keep me posted about her recovery? I don’t know her that well but I’d like to see this thing through to the end, you know?”

“You want to make sure she’s okay.”

“Yeah.”

“Of course I will Kyle. Thanks again for being there. I’m sure if you hadn’t chased them away she would be in a worse condition than she is now.”

“Just keep me posted, that's all I ask.”

Max left Kyle’s, jumped in the jeep and headed straight for the hospital.

It was getting late into the evening but Max wanted to make sure Liz was okay before he went home. He didn’t really want to leave her side but he had to attend classes so he could help Liz catch up when she eventually got out of the hospital.

As he approached the room he could hear voices coming from inside. He took a peek through the window and realized that the doctors were talking to Mr. and Mrs. Parker. He didn’t want to disturb them, so took a seat outside and waited.

It wasn’t long before the doctors vacated the room and Max tentatively walked in.

“Hi Nancy, I’m sorry I took so long but I had to visit someone on the way here.”

“Max, you didn’t have to come back tonight. You’ve got college in the morning haven’t you?”

“Yes, but I want to spend as much time with Liz as I possibly can. Why don’t you and Jeff go home, grab something to eat, freshen up and then come back. I can phone you if there is any change in her condition.”

“Are you sure Max? It’s after ten pm now, by the time we’ve done all that and traveled back here it will be after twelve,” stated Jeff.

“No, it’s fine honestly.”

“Well if you’re sure, we’ll be back as soon as we can Max,” said Jeff.

“Before you leave, I just wanted to let you know that I went to visit Kyle Valenti on the way here. He goes to UNM.”

“And?” asked Nancy, with a hopeful tone to her voice.

“Unfortunately there was not much he could tell me. It was dark, around ten pm and he was walking back from a friend’s house when he heard a noise. He saw three people standing over Liz, although he didn’t know it was her at the time. He shouted and they ran off in the opposite direction. He didn’t get a good look at them because it was dark. He couldn’t even tell if they were male or female to be honest. He wanted to chase after them but when he saw the state Liz was in he decided to stay with her until the emergency services arrived.”

“Probably the best decision at the time, they might have come back to finish the job if he hadn’t waited there with her,” replied Jeff in a defeated tone.

A visible shudder passed through Nancy’s whole body.

“So, I guess we just wait for Liz to wake up and see if she remembers anything,” said Jeff.

“I guess so. Kyle wants me to keep him posted on her condition if that’s okay with you?”

“Of course, it’s the least we can do,” said Nancy.

“We’ll be back as soon as we can Max. Thanks for being here for our daughter,” said Jeff.

“I’ll phone you if there is any change,” said Max, as Jeff and Nancy left to go home.
Last edited by Janetfl on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.