Angel Of Silence (AU,M/L,ADULT) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 20 07/Mar/10

Post by Janetfl »

Thanks to everyone who leaves feed back for this story.

Ellie
Courtney
XAF RU208
Carolyn
Ginger
Zaneri1
Eve
Natalie36
AvalonRose
Drogyn
Carrie

Chapter 20

It had been a few weeks since Max had returned to the hospital after visiting Kyle; they still hadn’t heard any news from the police about the attack. He had stayed by her bedside that night while Jeff and Nancy went home to freshen up and grab something to eat before heading back to stay with Liz.

Max had kept his promise to Liz and her parents. He made sure that he went to visit her as soon as college was finished. He would spend most of his time talking to Liz. Explaining what classes he had that day and any dramas that had played out. He also completed most of his assignments in the hospital room instead of going home to do them.

Since Liz had that awful seizure Max didn’t want to leave her side but he knew that when she woke up, she would have a lot of work to catch up on. He arranged for all of her friends in the group to obtain the class notes she would need.

Any classes that Liz had on her own, Max managed to find one of her classmates that were willing to help. By now, everyone at the college had heard of the attack on Liz. To say that the majority of them were shocked was an understatement. Although they hadn’t gotten to know her personally, she seemed like a nice person, so it wasn’t hard for Max to get the extra help he needed.

As he quietly entered her room, Jeff and Nancy turned to look at him.

“How is she?”

This was the question he always asked them when he entered the room.

“Still the same,” replied Jeff, in a sad tone.

“The doctors say that she should be awake by now. They’ve done more tests, given her a brain scan but don’t really understand why she hasn’t woken up,” explained Nancy.

“So the scan showed up normal?” asked Max.

“As far as they can tell but they have to wait for her to wake up to make a full assessment.”

“How long have you been here?” asked Max, they both looked exhausted.

“Since you left last night,” replied Jeff.

This was their usual routine. Max would arrive and the Parkers would leave for a while to get some much needed rest and freshen up.

“Max, we can’t keep asking you to do this every day. What about your school work? Surely that is suffering?” said Nancy.

“No, I have it all under control. Don’t worry about that. I do most of my assignments when I’m here with Liz. I think that it’s the only thing that’s keeping me sane right now.”

Nancy got out of her chair and walked over to Max. She engulfed him in a hug that would have crushed his bones if he wasn’t as fit as he was.

“I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve been doing Max. I don’t know what Jeff or I would have done without you being here.”

Max’s face turned several shades of red before Jeff managed to wrestle his wife away from him.

“You’re embarrassing the poor lad Nancy,” laughed Jeff, at the uncomfortable look on Max’s face.

Nancy had a sheepish look on her face, patted Max on the cheek and apologized.

“Well, he is practically part of the family,” said Nancy, with a sly smile on her lips and walked out of the room.

Jeff just laughed at the look on Max’s face. It was the first time he had laughed since this whole tragic event had happened and it felt good. He knew what Nancy was up to. She would be picking out wedding dresses before Liz was fully recovered. Once Nancy had made up her mind, not even Jeff could change it and he knew that Nancy wanted no other man for her daughter, except Max. Oh yes, the poor lad was in trouble.

Max moved his chair next to the bed and gently took Liz’s hand in his own.

“You are a very special person Liz Parker. You have a lot of friends that are helping you right now, even if you don’t know it yet. People who don’t even know you as well as we do. Once you get better we’ll go somewhere and rest before you have to go back to college. I’m hoping that you will wake up before our two week break. We could go away then, have some fun. What do you say?”

He always felt a fool talking to Liz like this, because it felt as if he was just talking to himself but the doctors said it would help so he buried his feelings and just got on with it.

“M ... Max?”

Max’s head whipped around to look at Liz’s face. He could have sworn he’d just heard her talk, but then, he didn’t actually know what her voice sounded like. God was he finally going insane with worry? Was his mind now making its own reality? He watched Liz for a while but there was no movement what so ever. Yep, he was finally losing it.

He decided that he would have to get some much needed rest. He’d been burning the candle at both ends lately, trying to split his time between Liz, his friends and college.

“Max, h ... help me Max.”

The voice came out more as a croak than a whisper but he knew that his mind had definitely not made that up because he also felt her hand slightly squeeze his own. He jumped up with such force that his chair made an awful loud scraping noise in the quiet room, and then clattered to the floor.

Max had never moved so quick in his life. He raced from the room and ran down the corridor, getting annoyed glares from the nurses. He could see Nancy and Jeff just about to turn the corner when he shouted.

“Jeff, Nancy, come quickly!”

They stopped dead in their tracks, turned to look at Max and when they saw him, broke out into a run. Max turned around and started to run back towards Liz’s room.

“Max, what is it?” shouted Nancy.

“No time, come quickly,” he panted, as he broke into a full run. He charged through the door and skidded next to Liz’s bedside. He gently grabbed her hand.

“Liz, it’s Max, if you can hear me, try to squeeze my hand.”

Jeff and Nancy came barrelling into the room both getting lodged in the door as they tried to enter at the same time. Nancy was the first to break free and went to the other side of the bed.

She looked up at Max.

“What is it Max?”

“Nancy, I know you are going to think I’m nuts but I KNOW I’ve just heard Liz speak my name.”

“That’s not possible Max,” said Jeff, “She hasn’t spoken since the accident.”

“Jeff, I know that. I swear to you I’m not making this up.”

He turned his attention to back to Liz. He put gentle pressure on her hand.

“Liz, it’s Max. Please, come back to us!”

“M...Max?”

Both Jeff and Nancy stared at each other in shock. That had definitely come from their daughter.

“Liz, give my hand a squeeze if you can hear me,” said Max, never taking his eyes off Liz.

That’s when he felt her hand gently squeezing his own. Tears of joy sprang into his eyes.

Nancy ran out of the room and grabbed the nurse at the station.

“Mary, can you please get Liz’s doctor right away!”

Nancy knew the names of all the nurses and doctors who had seen Liz over the last week.

“What’s wrong?” asked Mary.

“She’s, she’s talking,” said Nancy.

“What?”

Mary had gotten to know the Parkers well since she was Liz’s main carer. She knew all about the tragic accident when she was just four years old and she also knew that the girl hadn’t been able to talk since then.

“I’ll go and get Dr Radcliffe right away,” said Mary, dialling a number on her desk phone.

Nancy ran back into the room and stood by Jeff.

“Mary is getting the doctor now.”

“She’s not said anything else since you left,” explained Jeff, “but she has responded to Max’s voice and squeezed his hand a few times.”

Liz was stuck in that dark cold place again. She could smell the foul stench of death all around her and she wondered if this is what hell was like. Then the bodies started to claw their way across the ground, making an awful sound as their bones scraped along the cold concrete floor.

The charred remains of her parents came into view and she automatically backed away from them. Why did they keep doing this to her? Why couldn’t they leave her alone? Were they trying to make her insane?

As the body, she knew as her father’s reached out to touch her, she heard the comforting voice of Max surround her soul.

“M ... Max,” she said in awe, as she looked around trying to find him. If he was here, she knew he would help her.

When she didn’t hear him respond she started to lose hope. So she did the only thing she could think of.

“Max, h ... help me Max.”

She knew it was impossible that this was her own voice but if she could latch on to his voice maybe he could get her out of this place. Maybe it was her mind trying to break free from the darkness.

As she spoke her plea, the body of her parents started to retreat back into the darkness, but something strange happened. There was a slight shimmer around the bodies and she could see that some parts of their bodies now appeared to have flesh on them, as if that part had never been burned.

All of a sudden she could feel his hand holding hers. She gently squeezed it to reassure herself that she wasn’t dreaming.

When she felt him squeeze hers back she knew that somehow this was real. She couldn’t quite understand what was happening but she didn’t want to lose her hold on him. She was just about to hold on to his hand for dear life, when she felt it ripped from her.

She couldn’t understand what was happening and was completely terrified.

“No! Max! Come back!”

But her cry went unheard as Max had already left the room and was halfway down the corridor getting Nancy and Jeff.

She felt the warmth leave her soul and the bodies of her parents started towards her again. The perfect flesh that was there a second ago was now a mangled mess of bone and skin again.

Liz shook her head trying to understand what was happening to her. This must be one of her nightmares again, one that she couldn’t quite wake up from. Then she felt his hand in hers again and his voice pleading her.

“Liz, it’s Max. Please, come back to us!”

“M...Max?”

Although she couldn’t see him she knew that if she let go of his hand again, she would be lost in this darkness so she stood and waited to hear his voice again.

“Liz, give my hand a squeeze if you can hear me.”

She followed the voice; it was coming from the small pinpoint of light that was up ahead. With his hand in hers she wasn’t afraid anymore so she made her way towards it.

The next thing she knew her eyes shot open and she could see the blurred image of Jeff, Nancy and Max all staring at her in shock.

“Welcome back,” said Max, as his shocked face turned into a huge smiling one.
Last edited by Janetfl on Sat May 08, 2010 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 21 15/Mar/10

Post by Janetfl »

Thank you for all the awesome feed back!!!!

Ginger
Ellie
Courtney
dreambeliever
Carrie
Eve
Carolyn
Drogyn
Natalie36
AvalonRose
zaneri1
behr_able
Destiny

Chapter 21

Isabel put the receiver down on the phone and turned to tell the rest of the group the news.

“She’s awake,” was all she got out before a barrage of questions were thrown at her.

“Does she remember anything?” asked Maria.

“Was it that bitch?” asked Alex.

“Is she alright?” asked Michael.

Isabel raised her hand and everyone fell silent.

“I don’t know any details yet. Max just said that she was awake. He didn’t want to leave her for long but popped out to let us know.”

“When can we go and see her?”

“I’m not sure Maria. She’s only just woken up. I think the doctors want to examine her before they allow too many people to see her. I’m sure Max will let us know as soon as we can visit.”

Maria just nodded.

“Wait a minute,” said Michael, “what did you mean Alex by was it that bitch?”

“What?” asked Alex, in confusion.

“You asked, was it that bitch? What did you mean by that?” asked Michael, watching the three of them closely. He knew something was off the other week when Alex had insisted driving the girls home on his own.

Alex opened and closed his mouth a few times, not sure what to say. He looked at the girls for help but they remained unusually still and quiet.

“Spill it now!” demanded Michael, watching the three of them communicate with their eyes.

Maria and Isabel looked at one another, what else could they do? They would be betraying Liz by telling Michael but they couldn’t keep him in the dark any longer. Not now that Alex had let it slip.

“We’ll tell you Michael, but you have to promise not to tell Max,” said Maria, finally getting enough guts to go through with this.

“No, I’m not promising you that until I hear what you have to say,” said Michael.

“Then we can’t tell you,” said Isabel.

“This has something to do with Liz, doesn’t it?”

They all nodded their heads.

“Do you know who attacked her?” asked Michael.

They all stayed silent. Michael banged his fist on the table making them all jump.

“Do you know who attacked her?” he asked, through gritted teeth.

Still he got no answer.

“Alright,” he said, throwing his arms up in frustration, “I promise not to tell Max but I’ll warn you all now, this could blow up in our faces. If this has something to do with Liz and Max finds out we knew something and didn’t tell him, well let’s just say I wouldn’t want to be on the end of his rage.”

“We think we know who was behind the attack on Liz but we can’t be sure,” said Maria.

“You think it’s Tess don’t you?” asked Michael.

They all nodded.

“Okay I understand that she was mean to Liz but what makes you think she would go this far?” asked Michael.

“Because it’s not the first time she’s attacked Liz,” said Isabel.

“WHAT?” shouted Michael.

“Pam Troy saw Tess grab Liz around the throat and punch her in the stomach. I only know because I put the word out amongst my friends to keep any eye out on Liz. You know how much they all hate Tess, so they were glad to do it. Apparently, Pam Troy heard Tess threaten Liz to stay away from Max.”

“I’d also been keeping an eye on Liz because I saw the way Tess looked at her when she and Max left the canteen. I saw her listening in to a conversation they were having about arranging a date. I think that’s why Tess was there the day before. She was trying to get Max before he went out on his date with Liz,” explained Alex.

“And we all know how that turned out,” said Maria. “She also made a fool of Liz in front of her classmates, claiming that there is no way she could pass the exam because she couldn’t do the class participation bit.”

“You’ve all known this and never even told Max about any of it?” asked Michael, incredulously.

“Liz swore us to secrecy,” replied Isabel. “Oh believe me Michael, we have all tried to get Liz to admit she needs help but she ended up running off, telling us to mind our own business.”

“We have got to tell Max what’s been going on. Can you imagine how he would feel if he found out that all this time we knew what was going on and never told him, or even worse, he hears it from someone else?”

“I hate to say this, but I agree with Michael. I’d much rather have Liz pissed off with us, than Max,” said Alex.

“Then we tell him,” stated Isabel.

“About time something was done about that bitch,” said Maria.

After Max put the phone down from speaking to Isabel he immediately phoned Kyle to let him know that Liz had finally woken up.

“That’s great news Max! Do you think her parents would mind me making a visit when she’s up to it?” asked Kyle.

“I don’t think they would have a problem with that at all Kyle. If anyone deserves to see Liz, it’s you. I’m sure they would want to pass on their thanks to you personally as well.”

“That won’t be necessary. I don’t want a fuss. I just want to make sure Liz is alright. That’s all I ask.”

“I’ll let them know so they can tell the nursing staff to allow you in.”

“Thanks. Pass on my hopes of a speedy recovery to Liz until I can get there myself.”

“Will do Kyle, I’ll keep you posted.”

Max flipped his phone shut and headed back to Liz’s room.

As he entered the room he saw that the doctor had finally arrived and was checking Liz over. He shined his little pen light in her eyes and mumbled something to the nurses. He then went on to check her reflexes.

Dr Radcliffe ran his little hammer tool over the ball of Liz’s foot. First her leg jerked slightly because she was really ticklish on her feet and then her toes curled. He banged the hammer on her knee and the leg responded with a gentle kick.

He then removed some of the bed covers and gently pressed his fingers into her stomach checking for any damage. Once his thorough examination was over he turned towards the family.

“Well, everything seems to be fine at the moment. I have to do more in depth neurological examinations like an evaluation of her mental status, motor and sensory nerves, co-ordination and balance but we won’t be able to do those until she is in a fit state to move. But as far as I can see right now, everything seems to be fine. She’s going to be very sore for another week or so, those cracked ribs are healing but still giving her some pain. We’ll make sure that we give her some pain killers to cope with that.”

“What about the seizure she had the other week?” asked Jeff.

“The fact she hasn’t had one since is good news. It could have been Liz trying to wake up but getting distressed when she couldn’t. I’m not ruling out that she still may have epileptic fits, we won’t know until we’ve completely finished her neurological tests. Once those are complete I’ll have a better idea but I’m very optimistic about a full recovery.”

“Does that mean she can now talk?” asked Max.

“No, I’m sorry it doesn’t. I’ve tried to get Liz to repeat what you heard when you were here but she’s still using her sign language to communicate.”

“I know I definitely heard her speak doctor,” said Max.

“This is going to be a little difficult to explain. I’m sure you did hear her speak Mr. Evans but it seems that it only happened because she was semiconscious. As I recall from her file, Miss Parker was able to speak before the car accident. She was very young. It could be that she was suffering from Transient Aphasia but I’ve never heard of it lasting this long.

I think her problem is very deep rooted, maybe even psychological. She can actually talk but something in her mind is stopping her from doing so. I’ll mention that to the doctor who will be carrying out her mental status examination. Maybe she will be able to get to the source of the problem. The fact that you actually heard her say something proves that she can talk.”

“Do you think there is anything we can do to help?” asked Max.

“I would leave that up to the professionals. Her problem is so deep rooted that even if she did acknowledge the reason, she won’t talk. It may open up other emotions she’s been suppressing and she will need a professional to help her cope with those feelings or they could overwhelm her.”

“Why hasn’t anyone done this evaluation before?” asked Nancy.

“It was done, back when the accident happened. At the time there seemed to be no reason for her not to talk. They diagnosed her with Aphasia. I would have done the same to be honest. The only reason I’m questioning their judgement now, is because you all heard her speak. She is going to have to keep seeing the therapist once she’s left the hospital and there is no guarantee that she will talk.”

“How long will she be here?” asked Jeff.

“I’d like to keep her here for another week for observation, make sure those seizures don’t come back.”

“Then she can come home?” asked Nancy.

“If they give her a clean bill of health after her mental status examination is carried out, then yes, she will be able to return home. She will still need plenty of rest for another week or so though.”

“Thank you, Dr Radcliffe,” said Nancy.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 22 23/Mar/10

Post by Janetfl »

Thank you for all the awesome feedback!!!

Courtney
Carolyn
Destiny
Natalie36
AvalonRose
Ellie
behr_able
Ginger
Zaneri1
Drogyn
Lou
dreambeliever
Carrie
Eve

Chapter 22

As Max entered the house, after coming home from the hospital, he was surprised to see the whole gang waiting for him.

He looked around the sombre faces and started to get this awful feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“What’s going on?”

It was Michael who spoke first.

“You need to come with us to my apartment, Max. We need to talk.”

“Why can’t we talk here? I’m tired. I’ve had a really long day and so much has happened.”

“I don’t think you would want your mother to witness your response once we tell you the information we are aware of,” explained Michael.

“Isabel, what’s going on? Where’s Mom?”

“She’s been out most of the day on errands, but she’s due back any minute.”

“I don’t understand why can’t we just talk here?”

“Max, please just come with us,” begged Maria.

Max noticed the worried look on his friends faces, it was enough to make him stop asking questions.

“Okay, fine, let’s go.”

As they walked out of the door Max got his keys out ready to drive when Isabel snatched them from his hand.

“I’ll drive; you’ve had a long day.”

Max just looked at her strangely but didn’t say another word.

They all stumbled through the door at once, as Michael opened it. They were eager to get this evening over. The journey to the campus was an awkward one, nobody spoke, each contemplating how Max was going to react to the news.

Max suddenly felt the last few weeks catch up with him. He plopped himself down on the sofa, laid his head back and closed his eyes. His whole body suddenly felt tired, weary.

“Max, are you okay?” asked Isabel, a frown marring her beautiful face.

“To be honest, no I’m not. I’ve been stressing so much about Liz the past few weeks that I haven’t had time to stop. I couldn’t stop or I would have gone insane with worry. Now that she’s awake...”

“You feel like you’ve been hit by a bus?”

“Yes, exactly. I’m so tired Isabel.”

“He won’t be for long,” whispered Maria to Isabel.

Max back stiffened.

“What’s that suppose to mean Maria? Alright, I’ve had enough. What the hell is going on? Why have you brought me here instead of just telling me at home?”

“Max, we’re so sorry to have to do this to you now but you have to know the truth,” said Maria.

Something was definitely wrong. They were picking their words too carefully and there was a nervous energy floating around that started making him twitchy.

“Would someone just tell me what’s going on?”

“It’s Tess,” replied Michael. He knew that the rest of the gang didn’t want to tell Max so he took it upon himself.

“What about her? I’ve seen her around but she’s been avoiding me, thank god.”

“There might be a good reason for that Max,” replied Michael.

“Which is?”

“We believe that Tess might have been behind the attack on Liz.”

“WHAT? I know Tess has it in for Liz and she’s slightly crazy about me but I don’t think she’d stoop that low surely. What’s happened doesn’t warrant an attack like that,” said Max, refusing to believe that Tess would go that far.

“We’re not sure Max. We don’t have any evidence but what we do have is plenty of events that would lead up to her doing something like that,” explained Isabel.

“Like what?” asked Max, suspiciously.

“Well for one, Pam Troy saw Tess grab Liz by the throat and punch her in the stomach. She demanded that Liz stay away from you, that you were hers,” said Isabel.

Max jumped up from the sofa and started to pace, his fists clenching and unclenching.

“When,” he asked through gritted teeth.

“It was after your little tryst in the store room,” said Isabel, recoiling back at the look Max was giving her.

“So you’ve known about it for awhile then?”

Isabel nodded her head, unable to look her brother in the eyes.

“Anything else I should know?” asked Max, but his voice was calm, too calm.

“She also tried to embarrass Liz in front of our class. She said that Liz would fail the exam because it involved class participation which Liz was unable to do because of her speech problem. I offered my services as translator, but she came up with a rebuttal saying that I could cheat and answer for Liz. I threatened discrimination if they didn’t allow her to complete the class,” explained Maria.

Max was beyond furious. He had no idea that Liz had been going through all of this. He was about to explode in anger.

“Oh, there’s more Max,” Michael said, looking at Alex.

“We were worried about how Tess was looking at Liz when you two left the canteen on that first day. We decided to keep a look out for her. I overheard the conversation between you and Liz about a date, the problem was, so did Tess.”

“Was this before or after the kiss incident with me and Tess?”

“Well she overheard the conversation before that incident. I don’t think she had any intention of Liz seeing. She just thought that if she got to you first you wouldn’t be interested in Liz. As it happens, Liz played right into her hands, turned up a day early and she saw you two kiss.”

Before anyone knew what was happening Max had calmly walked over to the wall that separated the kitchen from the living room and put his fist through it. After shaking his fist a few times to get rid of the pain he turned back to his friends.

“Max, I’m sorry man. I didn’t know until today,” explained Michael.

He knew that Max was going to have a hard time controlling his anger. He had a dark side that only a select few were aware of. He wasn’t a violent person, but he knew how to destroy if someone went against him, friends or family. How, nobody was really sure, but he could. The fact that he’d put his fist through the wall showed just how pissed off he was.

“Why didn’t any of you tell me this at the beginning?”

They all looked at one another, not really wanting to give Max the answer.

“WHY!”

His shout made everyone jump.

“Because Liz made us promise,” whispered Maria.

Max turned around and headed towards the door.

“Max, where are you going? Don’t do anything stupid,” said Michael, gently grabbing his arm to stop him from leaving.

“I’ll pay for the damage to your wall Michael, but I swear to god if you don’t let me go right now it’s not only the wall that will need repairing.”

Michael took one look into Max’s murderous eyes and he let go of his arm. He knew that Max needed to calm down and doing it around the people that had kept this important information from him was not going to help.

“Just promise me you won’t do anything stupid?”

“I promise.”

Michael opened the door for Max to leave.

“MAX, WAIT,” shouted Maria. “You can’t let Liz know we told you.”

“Don’t you think there’s been enough secrets between the group?” asked Max.

“Yes Max,” said Maria, in a soothing tone, “but there’s more to this than meets the eye. I’m not sure what but I know Liz is trying to deal with something else on top of all of this. She wouldn’t tell any of us what it is, but if you approach her with all of this now, I don’t think you’ll ever get her back.”

“Duly noted,” said Max as he left the apartment and headed for the stairs.

Michael quietly shut the door.

“Well, that went well,” said Michael.

“YOU THINK?” shouted Isabel.

“He took it well considering Isabel. He could have done a lot worse than just put his fist through my wall. I suggest we give Max some time to calm down. Let him come to us when he’s ready, anything else might make him worse.”

“You ... you don’t think he’ll go after Tess, do you?” asked Alex.

“Oh he’ll go after her alright, but not how you think. He won’t physically touch her or get her beaten up, that’s not Max’s style. He will wait until he’s calmed down and then go for the jugular. Mark my words, Tess’s days are numbered. Max won’t stop until she’s got what she deserves,” replied Maria.

“What if it wasn’t Tess behind the attack?” asked Alex.

“Max will find out, one way or another. He has this uncanny knack of finding out things you don’t want him to know.”

“I’d hate to be Tess right now,” said Michael.

“How does he do it though?” asked Alex.

“Trust me Alex, I don’t think you want to know,” said Isabel.

The cold, crisp night air battered his face as he walked home. It was a somewhat welcomed relief to the burning anger coursing through his veins. He couldn’t believe that they had all kept this information from him. Why would they do that?

Liz, they did it because of Liz. She’d asked them to keep it quiet.

Could he really blame them for doing as she asked? Would he keep her secrets if she asked? There wasn’t a doubt about the answer to that question; he’d take her secrets to the grave if necessary.

He had heeded the words Maria spoke to him before he left the apartment. He knew there was something serious Liz was dealing with, he’d noticed the dark circles around her eyes, but at the time he was trying to win her back. He couldn’t push her for answers.

By the time Max reached home he was calm. He knew what he had to do. He didn’t like calling on the favours of past but this was Liz, he couldn’t let it go.

He reached inside his trouser pocket and dialed a number he hoped he would never have to dial.

“Tommy, it’s Max.”

“Holy shit Max, it’s good to hear from you!”

“Sorry I haven’t contacted you sooner but...”

“Max, I told you that I understood. I would be there when you needed me. What’s the problem?”

“I need information on a girl called Tess Harding, she’s currently attending UNM.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem,” said Tommy.

“No, Tommy this one isn’t going to be easy. I need EVERYTHING on this girl. I want you to call in all the favours.”

“What did this girl do?”

“She messed with the wrong person,” said Max, through gritted teeth.

“Consider it done Max. You know the others won’t mind doing it and you know we’ve got your back if you need it. We owe you man.”

“None of you owe me anything Tommy. If they don’t want to get involved then don’t force them. It’s their choice.”

“Consider it done.”

“Thanks. After this, no more favors. It’s finished.”

“I’ll let them know. I’ll call you as soon as I have any information.”

“Thanks.”

Just as Max flipped his phone shut, Isabel pulled up outside the house in the jeep.

“Max, are you okay?” asked Isabel.

Max gave her his best smile.

“I am now. I just needed to calm down.”

Isabel walked towards her brother.

“I’m sorry ...”

“Don’t Isabel. You have nothing to be sorry for. We’ll get this whole mess sorted out.”

“Who were you talking to on the phone?”

“A friend,” was all Max said.

They entered the house in silence.
Last edited by Janetfl on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 23 16/Aug/10

Post by Janetfl »

YAY I'm finally back with this story. TAOS only has a few more chapters to go, which I'm sad about but that means I can update more often on the other two stories I have left. Okay, thank you to everyone who left feedback and bumps!!!!

Ellie
Courtney
Ginger
Drogyn
Carrie
Natalie36
AvalonRose
dreambeliever
Lou
behr_able
zaneri1
reddawn1816
Destiny
Carolyn
Dziumka
OmegaRam1
CrashandBurn8321
Eve

Chapter 23

After spending so long inside the hospital, Liz couldn’t wait to be released. She had gone through so many medical examinations and mental health tests that she felt like a lab rat. Why couldn’t they just accept that she couldn’t talk? She had tried her hardest to respond to Max, her family and the doctors but every time she went to talk nothing would come out.

She wasn’t pleased that she now had to see a therapist either. How deep would this therapist go to get the truth? She wasn’t sure she wanted to find out, but in order for her to get out of the hospital that’s what she agreed to do.

Now she was waiting for Max. Her mother and father really wanted to pick her up but she insisted that she wanted Max to do it. She wanted to talk to him in private. A big smile spread across her face as he walked into the room.

“You’ve got no idea how happy I am to see you,” she signed.

“Likewise. Come on, I’m sure you want to get the hell out of here as quickly as I do!” He said, as he picked up her bags and threw them over his shoulder.

“Damn straight.”

As they walked out of the room Mary was there to say goodbye to the girl she’d grown fond of over the past month. Both Max and Liz thanked her for being a constant support through this difficult time.

Liz couldn’t help the sense of relief that flooded through her system as she stepped outside the hospital doors, into the glare of a warm sun. She tilted her face upwards, glad to feel the heated rays. Something she’d missed inside that clinical room.

“Liz?”

Liz tilted her head back to look at Max and realized that he’d been waiting to assist her into the Jeep.

“Sorry Max, I couldn’t help basking in the sunlight considering I’ve been stuck indoors for over a month. Even though, for most of that, I was unconscious. It’s just great to get out of there,” signed Liz.

“I can understand that.”

After assisting Liz into the jeep, Max hopped into the driver’s seat and headed back to Liz’s home. They sat in comfortable silence until Liz gently placed her hand on his knee and gave it a squeeze to get his attention.

“Would you mind if we stopped off at Joe’s Diner. I’m famished and they do the best pancakes ever!” signed Liz and then pointed at the diner coming up.

“Sure,” replied Max, as he turned into the parking lot.

Once Max had parked the jeep he jumped out and ran around to the other side to help Liz down.

“Thank you Max. I’ve hardly eaten that slop they call food in the hospital so it’s going to be nice to get some real food inside of me, plus I wanted to talk to you before we got back,” signed Liz.

Max suddenly felt sick. Was this where Liz would tell him that she didn’t want to see him anymore, that she just wanted to be friends? Although he would take whatever Liz was willing to offer, in the hopes that he could build it into more, he had no doubt it would be the hardest thing he would ever do. He couldn’t lose her now, not after everything she’d been through.

He could understand her feelings though, now that he finally knew what Tess had been up to. It must have felt like the ultimate betrayal to Liz; to see the one person who’s made her life hell since she arrived, kissing the one person she trusted the most. He could kick himself for his stupidity in thinking that Tess could be his friend and nothing more.

Liz noticed the emotions running across Max’s face after she told him that she wanted to speak with him. At first he frowned and then a sudden look of pure fear skittered across his handsome features.

“Max, what’s wrong?” signed Liz, before smoothing the worry lines in his face with her hands.

God was she seriously trying to kill him? Just that slight touch was making his whole body come alive.

“Liz, please,” he whispered breathlessly, shutting his eyes and resting his forehead on hers.

Liz gently cupped his face with her hands and squeezed slightly so Max would open his eyes.

“Please what?” signed Liz.

When Max looked into the swirling pools of chocolate that were her eyes he couldn’t help but spill what was on his mind.

“I almost lost you Liz. I was so afraid, afraid of never being able to tell you how much you mean to me. I’m sorry that I screwed up, really I am. I understand if you don’t want to take this further but know this, my heart will always belong to you and no one else.”

Liz pulled back from Max slightly so she could look him in the eye.

“Max, I want to take this further. That’s what I wanted to talk to you about. I heard you Max. I heard everything you told me while you were in the hospital room. I tried to reach out to you but I couldn’t. You brought me back Max, I could hear your voice and I, I followed it. I know that sounds really weird but...”

“It doesn’t sound weird Liz. The doctor told me to keep talking to you, that a familiar voice would help bring you back. It doesn’t sound weird at all.”

Although Liz understood what Max was saying, she knew it was something more than that, something deeper than even she couldn’t explain.

“So you’re sure? Do you want to make this official, because I know I do,” stated Max, fervently.

Liz was about to answer his serious question when her stomach suddenly decided to protest at the severe lack of food.

“Oh my god, that was embarrassing,” signed Liz, smiling.

“Come on; let’s get you something decent to eat. We can talk about all this later,” he said, as he pulled her towards the diner.

As soon as Liz and Max stepped inside, Liz’s stomach lurched as the delicious smells of fried bacon, coffee and what she assumed to be toast wafted into her nose.

Her stomach made another audible growling noise which made Max laugh.

“Why don’t you go and sit down Liz and I’ll order our meal.”

“Okay. I’ll have a generous helping of strawberry pancakes with as much coffee as I can physically drink,” signed Liz.

Max just smiled.

“I think that can be arranged.”

Max headed to the counter to order their impromptu breakfast while Liz went to find an empty booth in the busy diner. She was lucky to find a booth that was separate from all the others, tucked around the corner of the serving counter. It was quite a dark area which was probably why that booth remained unoccupied.

Liz thought this would be a good place to talk privately since it was away from the main crowd of people that were currently filling the diner. As she was about to sit down she saw the slight shimmer which distorted the other side of the booth. She instinctively knew what that meant.

“No, not here please,” she thought, as the apparitions of the burnt remains of her real mother and father appeared sitting in the booth.

They slowly turned their burnt and mangled skulls to look at her. They had no eyes, just empty sockets where their loving eyes had once been, their teeth gnawing and snapping as if they were trying to tell her something.

She noticed their bony fingers, with burnt flesh and muscle hanging off, resting on the table top. Suddenly she didn’t feel like eating at all. Liz took a step back, in pure fear, as her parents held their arms out to her, beckoning her to come to them.

A sudden surge of bile rose to the back of her throat and she knew that she had to get out of that diner before she embarrassed herself. She turned and ran out as if the hounds of hell were on her heels.

Max was almost knocked over by the force of someone smashing into his side, but just as quick they disappeared through the doors of the dinner.

It took Max a moment to realize that the person who had nearly flattened him on his ass was actually Liz. Something must have spooked her so much that she didn’t even realize who she had bumped into, signing an apology as she ran out of the door.

“What the hell is going on?” asked Max, to himself more than anyone else.

He placed a ten dollar bill on the counter to pay for the food he’d already ordered and rushed out of the diner after Liz. He was so confused about what was going on right now. He had taken quick look around the diner to see who or what could have upset Liz so much but he couldn’t see what had her so frightened.

As he rounded the corner of the diner shouting Liz’s name, he saw her bent over throwing up the meager contents of her already empty stomach.

This is when he finally realized that something was seriously wrong with Liz and he wouldn’t stop until he found out what it was.

He gently approached her, so he didn’t scare her. As she doubled over again and gave one huge dry heave Max’s sanity snapped.

“Liz, what the hell is going on? Who scared you like that?”

As soon as she heard Max’s voice the heaving came again, worse than before. How the hell could she explain that no matter where she went, she could see the burnt, crisp remains of her birth mother and father? Max would think she’s gone off the deep end, hell she thought she’d gone off the deep end. Maybe she needed to be committed for a little while?

Max gently placed a loving hand on her back and moved it in slow circular movements, trying to calm her down.

“Liz, you have to talk to me. What had you so petrified that you ran out the diner?”

Liz realized that Max was shaking, uncontrollably.

She risked a glance at his eyes and realized that his only concern was for her.

“Did you recognize someone that attacked you?” asked Max, poised for action if she answered in the affirmative. It’s the only reason he could come up with for Liz to act so strangely.

She gently shook her head.

“Then what, Liz? I’ve never seen you so, so scared, so frightened. What the hell is going on?”

After the final wretch erupted from her throat Liz wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. She was so embarrassed that Max had seen her throw up. A deep crimson color ran across her cheeks.

“Liz, please,” Max begged. “You have to tell me what’s going on. I can’t help you if you don’t tell me.”

Liz truly wanted to tell Max what her problem was but what would he think when she told him that she constantly saw her dead parents? He would surely think she’d lost it. She couldn’t stand to see that look on Max’s face so she decided to play dumb.

“Max, I’m fine. I think walking into that diner with all the smell of food just made me feel sick. I didn’t want to throw up in front of everyone so I ran out the door before I could embarrass myself. Actually, I feel fine now that I’m out in the open air.”

“You’re joking right? I’m not buying that Liz. As soon as you entered that diner and smelled the food you ordered as much pancakes and coffee you could manage. Besides I could not only see the fear etched on your face I could feel it.”

“Could you just take me home Max, please? I think the doctor was right when he said I need to rest as much as possible.”

Max wanted to protest, tell her that she was so afraid that one look into her panic stricken face was enough to send all his senses on high alert. He knew that she had lied to him about Tess and now she was lying to him again. It would do no good to confront her though; she had that determined look in her eyes. Whatever was eating Liz up inside she wasn’t ready to share with anyone yet.

“Fine, I’ll take you home Liz. You look a little tired,” said Max.

“But don’t even think for one moment this conversation is over,” thought Max. There was no way he was going to let Liz suffer like this, not if he could help it. She’d been through enough in her life as it was. A plan started to form into his head as he drove Liz towards home.

Yes, one way or another he would find out what was going on.

TBC....
Last edited by Janetfl on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Cpt 24 15/Sept/10

Post by Janetfl »

Now TAOS is complete I shall be updating this story on a regular basis along with Conclusive Evidence, hopefully. Thanks to everyone that left feed back for me!!

Ellie
Courtney x 2
Eve
XAF RU208
Natalie36
behr_able
Carolyn
Carrie
Ginger
dreambeliever
zaneri1
AvalonRose
reddawn1816 x 3

Chapter 24

Isabel practically leapt out of her chair as she heard the front door slam.

She turned to see a rather red faced Max enter the room.

“Jesus Max, you scared the living shit out of me!” yelled Isabel, her heart still beating rapidly.

“Sorry,” mumbled Max.

As soon as Isabel took in her brother’s demeanor she realized something was very wrong.

“Max, what’s wrong?”

“I’m not really sure Isabel.”

“I’m sorry? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I just picked Liz up from the hospital.”

“Well that’s great news, isn’t it?” asked Isabel, not quite sure about the look on her brother’s face.

“Yeah it is. The weird thing is, when we stopped off to get some breakfast. I went to place the order because she was starving and then all of a sudden she runs out of the diner like something had frightened her half to death. I found her throwing up around the corner. I thought that maybe she’d recognized one of her attackers or something but she swore that she didn’t and I believe her. The excuse she came up with was the food made her feel sick.”

“Well maybe it did Max?”

Isabel couldn’t see why Max was so upset.

“No Isabel. When she walked into that diner she was practically drooling with all the wonderful smells going on around her. She went to get a booth for us to sit in and that’s when she nearly knocked me on my ass running out of the diner. She’s lying to me, but I don’t have any idea why.”

“Max, this may sound a little harsh but you’ve only known Liz for a short period of time, why should she tell you everything that’s going on in her life. Have you told her the truth?”

Max spun around and glared at his sister.

“That’s not fair Isabel. You know I can’t mention anything about that. You’re the only one that knows except for Tommy and the gang.”

“Max, you know I didn’t mean it that way. I’m just pointing out that there are some things in peoples’ pasts that they don’t want to discuss with anyone. You, of all people, should know that. Maybe this is something Liz feels she can’t share with you just yet,” replied Isabel.

“Maybe, but I’m going to find out who attacked her Isabel.”

Max had been good friends with Tommy since the third grade. Both of them had fathers that would constantly beat or berate them. This created a kindred spirit between the two young boys. Although Max was opposed to violence because of how he was treated, Tommy was the complete opposite. He was a hit first, find out later kind of boy. That sometimes came in handy when Max was taunted about his father by the older boys. Tommy wouldn’t be afraid of them. He would just walk up to the main tormentor and punch him in the nose.

As the years progressed, the boys grew into young men, they still remained close friends but Tommy was heading down the wrong path and Max realized it before it was too late.

Max could still remember that night very clearly. Tommy had phoned Max and asked him to meet him at the park.

“What? You’re kidding right? It’s like nearly midnight Tommy, my Dad won’t let me go out this late on a school night. You know what he’s like.”

“Just sneak out of your bedroom window Max. I really need to see you,” replied Tommy.

“Okay, but if I get caught you know how much shit I’m going to get in.”

“I’ll owe you one.”

“Okay, give me ten minutes to get changed and I’ll meet you by the basketball court,” said Max, flipping his cell phone shut and getting dressed quickly.

He knew that his Dad would already be in bed because he had a huge case to hear tomorrow, one that would probably go on for awhile. Phillip was the Chief District Court Judge for Albuquerque, a highly respected role for one to achieve. He had a lot of influence and power in the Roswell community.

Max finished getting dressed and quietly climbed out of his bedroom window before breaking into a fast run towards the park.

“Yo Max, it’s good to see you man,” said Tommy, as Max came running up.

“You too, now what’s this all about Tommy?” asked Max, as Tommy shook his hand and bumped shoulders in greeting.

“I need you to take this package to Paulie. He’s waiting for it,” said Tommy, holding out the package to Max.

“This is what you called me for?” asked Max, slightly confused.

“Well yeah, I can’t do it because they’re watching me but no one would suspect the Judge’s son,” said Tommy, smiling.

“What’s in here Tommy?” asked Max.

“I don’t think you really want to know that Max.”

Max pushed away the package in Tommy’s hand.

“I’m not doing it Tommy. Look, we’ve been friends for years now and I understand that you’ve got to do whatever it is you do to get the hell away from your father but don’t drag me into this shit. We’ve been friends too long for that.”

“It’s just one package Max,” replied Tommy.

“No, I’m not going down this route Tommy. Get someone else to do your dirty work,” said Max, turning to leave.

Tommy grabbed his arm.

“Don’t do this Max. I need your help here, I thought you and me understood each other,” said Tommy.

“I do understand but I’m not getting involved that way. We never had this conversation and that’s the end of it,” replied Max.

“FINE! Don’t come running to me when you need help!” shouted Tommy.

Max just shook his head and walked away.

“This never happened Tommy. I’ve got your back but that’s as far as it goes.”

After that night they had remained friends, looked out for each other, but had very little contact.

It was a few years after that incident that Max had overheard his father and the Sheriff of Roswell, Jim Valenti, talking in the kitchen of his childhood home.

“I’m sorry I had to come over at this late hour Phillip but it’s important that we get this search warrant signed. We have an informer who has told us about a deal going down tonight at the old warehouse. We’ll finally be able to catch Tommy in the act as well as getting the major distributor for this area.”

“Oh I can’t wait for that little bastard to show up in my court. I will make sure he gets the maximum sentence,” said Phillip as he signed the warrant.

Max made a silent retreat back towards his bedroom. He was about to climb out of his window when the door to his bedroom suddenly opened.

“Isabel, you scared the shit out of me. Why didn’t you knock?” hissed Max.

“I know what you’re going to do Max. It’s not right. I saw that you overheard Dad’s conversation.”

“He’s my friend Isabel. He was there for me when nobody else was. I can’t let him go down for this.”

“I understand that Max but what if someone finds out you were the one that tipped him off?” asked Isabel, worried for her brother.

“I haven’t had contact with Tommy for over five years Isabel. I doubt they would make the connection.”

“Please, just be careful Max,” begged Isabel. “I don’t know what I would do without you here.”

Max hugged his sister. “Don’t worry Isabel. I promise nothing bad will happen to me, okay.”

“Okay,” said Isabel, closing his bedroom door quietly behind her.

Max climbed out of his bedroom window and ran to a phone that was a few blocks away. He immediately dialed Tommy’s number.

“Tommy, it’s Max,” he said as he heard his friend’s voice on the other end of the phone.

“Well, well, I haven’t heard from you in a long time. What do you want Max?”

“Where are you Tommy?” asked Max.

“That’s none of your business Max. I seem to remember you didn’t want to get involved.”

“Look, you know I’ve always had your back Tommy. Jim Valenti is at my house currently getting my Dad to sign a warrant to search the old warehouse. He’s got an informer who’s given him information about a big deal going down tonight. If you’re at that warehouse now, I suggest you get out immediately.”

“No shit?”

“No shit Tommy. You know I wouldn’t joke about something like this. My Dad wants to make an example out of you and would give the maximum sentence allowed.”

“Max, the gang and I owe you big time for this. You ever need anything, just call. I don’t care how long it’s been, just pick up the phone and we’ll be there for you.”

“I appreciate that Tommy. Now get the hell out of there before you’re caught!”

Max pulled out an untraceable cell phone out of his trouser pocket and dialed a number.

“Oh god Max, you’re going to call it in aren’t you?” asked Isabel.

“I can’t let this go Isabel. Liz was left for dead. If it wasn’t for Kyle then she wouldn’t be here. I want to know who was behind the attack.”

“And what if it was Tess? What are you going to do about it?” asked Isabel, worried at the look on her brother’s face.

“Don’t worry about it Isabel,” was Max’s reply, as he walked out of the front door with his phone to his ear.

He quietly shut the door and made his way towards the Jeep. He really didn’t want Isabel listening in to his conversation.

“Who’s this?” asked the suspicious voice.

“Tommy, it’s Max. I’m calling you from a different phone.”

“Yo Max, you have to give me a little time to get the information,” said Tommy.

“I know that Tommy. There’s been a change of plan. I still want you to find out everything you can about Tess Harding but there was an incident here involving Liz Parker. She was badly beaten and left for dead. If it wasn’t for Kyle Valenti then she wouldn’t be here.”

“Valenti, as in...”

“Yep, Jim’s son. You have to be careful how you go about this Tommy and I know I’m asking a lot from you but I want to find out who did this to Liz.”

“This girl means that much to you Max?” asked Tommy curious.

“More than you’ll ever know Tommy. Remember I said don’t get the others involved, well I’ve changed my mind. I want everyone on this Tommy. I NEED to find out who did this to her.”

“What if it was this Tess chick?” asked Tommy.

“Then give me the information I need and I’ll take care of her.”

“What if it’s not her?”

“Then you know what you need to do Tommy.”

Tommy whistled. “Then consider it done.”
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Chpt 25 14/Oct/10

Post by Janetfl »

It's good to be back! Thanks to everyone who left feedback. Sorry about the delay.

Ellie
Eve
Courtney
Natalie36
Zaneri1
Carolyn
reddawn1816
dreambeliever

Chapter 25

Liz stepped out of the front door, waved good-bye to her parents and then gently closed the door behind her. She was so nervous about her first day back at the University. She had worked hard over the last month to catch up on all the work she had missed and was missing. She had finally completed everything by the weekend. The only problem was that she hadn’t had time to catch up with Max and that worried her a little.

It wasn’t that she was ignoring him, just concentrating on getting up to speed with everything, but there was the whole incident at the diner hanging over her head and she knew that Max would bring it up at some point.

Liz turned and started walking down the driveway. It wasn’t until she got to the end that she noticed a car parked directly in its path. As she reached the bottom the doors of the car opened and out stepped Maria, Michael, Isabel and Alex.

It was only when she cleared the driveway that she noticed the familiar jeep parked in front of the car and a very relaxed, sexy Max leaning up against it. Her heart literally stopped for a second at the sight of him. He gave her one of his smiles that he reserved just for her.

“Oh my, you guys thank you,” signed Liz, smiling that all her friends that had come to support her on her first day back.

Maria translated what Liz signed for the rest of the group. It was Isabel who stepped up first to welcome Liz back.

“We’ve missed you so much Liz. You had us worried for awhile there,” said Isabel and she hugged Liz tight.

“Come over here and give me some of that sugar,” said Maria, holding out her arms which Liz went to willingly. She couldn’t believe how great her friends really were. For the first time in a long time she felt like she truly belonged and she wasn’t going to let anything spoil that for her, not even Tess.

It was time she took back some control over her life and today was a perfect day to start.

“It’s good to see you again Liz. Maybe now Max will stop moping around the place,” said Michael, slinging his arm over her shoulders and squeezing her slightly. That was about as much touchy feely crap he could stand.

“Hey, I have not been moping!” shouted Max, from his place at the jeep.

“Yeah right, don’t you believe him Liz,” whispered Michael, which made Liz laugh.

“You need anything during the day Liz, just come and find one of us and we’ll be there,” said Alex, giving Liz a gentle hug. “Oh and we missed you.”

“You are all such great friends, thank you,” signed Liz, as Maria translated for the group.

Liz slowly turned towards Max. She was wondering why he hadn’t been the first one to greet her but when she looked into his eyes she understood. They were lost in their own little world when a rather loud cough brought them back to reality.

“Well, I think that’s our cue to leave,” said Maria, pulling Michael towards the car.

“Yep I have to agree with you there,” replied Alex smiling at the display of affection on his friends’ faces.

Neither Liz nor Max noticed the car pulling away from the curb.

“Hi, how are you feeling about your first day back?” signed Max.

“Honestly, I’m a little nervous but thanks to you and the gang I know I’m going to be okay today. I’m sorry I haven’t seen you much this past ...”

Max gently placed his hands on Liz’s to stop her movements.

“I understand Liz; you had a lot of work to catch up on. That’s why I stayed away. It was hard but I knew you needed that space. I’m not upset, okay?”

“Okay,” signed Liz.

Max couldn’t resist any longer. He’d wanted to kiss Liz since he first saw her at the front door. He gently cupped her face in his hands and brought his lips slowly towards Liz.

As Max’s lips slid gently over hers she gave a gentle moan into his mouth and her body melted into his, as if they were one.

Max took advantage of her parted mouth when she moaned and as their tongues came into contact their blood started to boil. The once gentle kiss turned intense, passionate and almost primal.

Something was happening to Liz she couldn’t quite understand. Just one kiss from this man sent her head spinning. She could feel it from the tips of her toes to the top of her head, as if every molecule in her body was simultaneously coming alive.

Her hands had a mind of their own as they slid under the t-shirt he was wearing. When her fingers came in contact with the soft skin of his torso she could feel each one of his hard muscles contract at her gentle exploration.

The kiss intensified and Max knew that he had to get control of the situation soon or he’d just lose it. He gently grabbed her exploratory hands and pulled away from the kiss. He took big gulps of air into his already starving lungs, as he placed his forehead against hers, staring into those familiar pools of chocolate brown.

“God Liz, you’re going to kill me doing that,” said Max, in a hoarse voice.

“I’ve missed you so much Max,” whispered Liz.

Max instantly pulled away from Liz with a shocked look on his face.

“What?” signed Liz.

“You just spoke Liz,” said Max, in awe.

“What? No I didn’t,” signed Liz.

“I swear you just said that you missed me so much,” Max repeated back to her.

The look of confusion on her face made Max realize that she had done it unconsciously; even she hadn’t realized she’d spoken the words and not signed them.

“I don’t understand what’s happening to me Max,” signed Liz.

“Don’t worry; we’ll get through this together Liz. There is obviously something in your subconscious stopping you from talking. Maybe going to see that therapist will help.”

“Yeah well I’m not exactly looking forward to that,” signed Liz.

“Would you like me to come with you for your first session?” offered Max.

“I’m not sure. Maybe I should go to the first one on my own and then ask the therapist about involving you. How does that sound?” signed Liz.

“Whatever you feel comfortable with Liz,” said Max.

He knew that there was something deeper going on with Liz and it was driving him insane but this was maybe the first step towards understanding exactly what was going on with her.

“Come on, let’s get into the jeep or we’ll be late for our first class,” said Max, helping Liz up into her seat.

As Max climbed into the driver’s seat he switched on the ignition and the radio. Liquid Child’s – Driving Faces blasted out.

“Oh I love this tune!” signed Liz, with a smile on her face.

“There’s nothing like a good trance track in the morning to get you going,” signed Liz, moving her body in time with the music.

Max just smiled and headed towards the University.

Liz felt free for the first time in ages. The music was taking her to place of pure energy and bliss, the hot sun shining down on her face and the wind blowing through her hair. She loved Max’s jeep.

Max couldn’t help casually glancing towards Liz as she continued to sway to the music. He never thought she’d looked so beautiful, the sun shining through her windswept hair as they gathered speed.

He truly loved this woman sitting before him and he vowed then that no matter what it took, he would keep her safe. He’d almost lost her once. He wasn’t going to let it ever happen again.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Chpt 26 09/Dec/10

Post by Janetfl »

Hi everyone. Sorry it took me so long to put up the next chapter but my beta reader has been busy with work and getting ready for Christmas. I have good news though. I've already typed up to Chapter 31 and those are with my wonderful beta Lou. So you can expect regular updates over the next few weeks.

Many thanks for everyone who left feed back and all the lurkers that read this story.

Ellie
Courtney
Natalie36
dreambeliever
reddawn1816
Eve
Drogyn
Carolyn
Carrie
Zaneri1

Chapter 26

As Dr. Jennifer Ray read through the case file that was in front of her, she couldn’t help feeling sorry for this young girl who had suffered so much during her short life. First, she had lost her birth parents during a horrific vehicular accident. Second, she was bumped from foster home to foster home until finally being adopted by the Parkers. Third, just recently, she’d been so brutally attacked that it almost cost her life.

What amazed Dr. Ray was this girl’s ability to bounce back. Her medical records showed that the amount of damage done to her body during both ordeals would have left most dead, but this girl just kept on fighting.

Jennifer had spent most of her professional career dealing with the visually or auditory impaired. She specialized in Aphasia cases but this had her stumped completely.

Liz Parker was definitely a mystery. Transient or Temporary Aphasia is exactly that, temporary but this girl hadn’t spoken since the accident, that was until recently. Dr. Ray would have been tempted to diagnose her with Aphasia, the total lack of speech, but the fact that she had woken up in the hospital a couple of months ago and spoken, led her to believe that this young girl’s muteness came from a psychological disorder rather than a physical injury to the brain. She would just have to reserve her judgement until her first session later on this afternoon.
It had been two days since she had returned to the University after her recovery. She had managed not to bump into, or even see the dreaded blonde bitch, which she was happy for, but she would rather face her than the woman she was about to meet.

Liz paced the office while unconsciously pulling down the hem of her skirt. She was so nervous. She had to be careful not to let anything slip, but then would she be doing herself any favors?

Liz heard the door to the office open and she stopped dead in her tracks.

“Liz Parker? My name is Doctor Jennifer Ray. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” said the tall, thin red head while signing.

“Hello,” Liz signed and then gave a nervous smile.

“Come on in to my office,” said Jennifer.

Liz followed her into the office. She expected it to be this dark sombre place but, in fact, it was a very bright room. It was painted in a soothing pale yellow and there were two big windows that let in a lot of light. As she took in more of the room there was a big desk at the back with a high backed leather chair. Then there were two massive, pale yellow, arm chairs in the center of the room.

As Jennifer sat down on one of the soft arm chairs she watched Liz closely then chuckled.

Liz turned to the doctor and noticed the smile on her face.

“I guess you thought it was going to be a little different from this?”

“Yes, I kind of expected something dark and not very nice to be honest,” signed Liz.

“Oh god lord, there is no way I could work in an office like that. It would depress me let alone the clients I see,” laughed Jennifer. “I work with the visually impaired as well as the auditory impaired. Having a bright room sometimes helps them see more.”

“It’s very nice,” signed Liz.

“Please take a seat Liz,” said Jennifer, pointing to the chair opposite her.

As Liz sat down she sank into the soft cushions of the chair.

“Wow, these are really comfortable,” signed Liz, sinking further into the chair.

“I’m glad you’re comfortable. I guess you’re nervous about our first session?” asked Jennifer.

“Honestly? Yes I am. I don’t feel comfortable talking to strangers about my personal business,” signed Liz.

“I can understand that Liz. Do you know why you were sent to me in the first place?”

“Because I spoke when I woke up after my attack,” signed Liz.

“Exactly, did anyone explain to you what that means?” asked Jennifer.

“Yes, they thought I had Aphasia but because I spoke they weren’t so sure. They carried out another set of numerous tests but couldn’t come up with an explanation so now they think it’s all in my mind,” signed Liz.

“Well, that could be a possibility Liz. I specialize in Aphasia cases and I’ve not come across one like yours. In most cases people with Temporary or Transient Aphasia would eventually be able to obtain their full communication skills back and permanent Aphasia means that they would never talk. You fall into the middle of those two categories. You haven’t spoken since the accident when you were four and yet you spoke perfectly when you woke up from your attack a few months ago.”

“Don’t you think I find it just as frustrating as the rest of you do? I spoke. I was amazed myself but when I tried to speak again I couldn’t and believe me I tried,” signed Liz, getting frustrated.

“Okay, do you feel comfortable telling me about what happened a few months ago?” asked Jennifer.

“You mean my attack?” asked Liz.

Jennifer nodded.

“I don’t remember much about it but I’ll tell you what I do remember,” signed Liz.

“That’s fine. Go ahead. I’m sure you’ll be surprised at how much you do remember.”

Liz sighed and began her explanation of what happened on that dreadful night.

“I was walking to a friend’s house. I think it was around nine thirty. I took a short cut through one of the alleyways, one I’d walked through on numerous occasions to get home. As I walked down the alley I noticed a figure blocking the end. I don’t know what made me feel uncomfortable but I think it was the way the figure didn’t move. I went to turn around to head back the way I came and don’t remember much from that point. I know someone had hit me on the head pretty hard and the next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital.”

“You never saw the face of any of your attackers?” asked Jennifer.

“No. Like I said I don’t remember anything after receiving that blow to the head. All I can think of is that someone had come up behind me without me realizing it and it was them who hit me over the head,” signed Liz.

“Did you hear them speak?” asked Jennifer.

“No, not that I recall” stated Liz.

Jennifer continued to ask Liz more about the attack, how she was coping with moving to a new town and whether she’d made friends easily enough. After the hour was over Dr. Ray was happy with the first session they had shared. Although Liz might not have realized it, Dr. Ray had gathered quite a bit of information from Liz.

“So that’s it?” signed Liz.

“For this week, yes,” replied Jennifer.

“I was wondering if I could bring a friend with me, well actually he’s my boyfriend.”

“He’s been there the two times I’ve spoken,” signed Liz.

“TWO times? I only knew of one,” said Jennifer.

“Damn it!!” Liz thought to herself. She’d slipped up with that one.

“Yeah, apparently I said something to him but to be honest I didn’t even realize it myself at the time.”

“I think we should have a few more sessions on our own first. You can tell me all about your boyfriend and then maybe we could invite him to a few sessions. How does that sound?”

“Okay, thank you,” signed Liz.

“I’ll see you the same time next week,” said Jennifer as she led Liz out of her office.

As Jennifer watched Liz leave the office she couldn’t help forming an idea in her mind about the possible problem with this young girl. The sooner she got to talking about the accident the better. Something was blocking this girl from talking and the only person that seemed to get through that block would be her boyfriend. Maybe, just maybe, this girl or rather woman could talk again.
Last edited by Janetfl on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Chpt 27 15/Dec/10

Post by Janetfl »

Hi everyone! As promised here is the next update for you. Thank you to everyone who left feed back and to all the lurkers out there that read this story.

Courtney
Carrie (glad to hear you've still got those symbols! :wink: )
Ellie
Eve
Ginger
Carolyn
XAF RU208
Natalie36

Chapter 27

Max jumped when he heard the doorbell. He’d been waiting for over an hour now and he still hadn’t heard from her.

As he opened the door, thinking it was Isabel and that she’d forgotten her keys again, he was rather surprised to see Liz standing there.

“Liz! Are you okay?” he asked.

“I’m fine Max. I just wanted to let you know how my first session went,” signed Liz.

“Sorry, come on in. I just got a little nervous when I didn’t hear from you and I wondered if that was a good sign or bad,” he explained.

They made their way over to the sofa and Max offered Liz a drink.

“I’m fine thanks. I can’t stay long because I have to get home and let my parents know how it went but I could come back later, after dinner, if you like,” signed Liz.

“I would love that Liz. We haven’t really had a chance to catch up with everything, what with college going so crazy before the holiday vacation. I swear they don’t expect you to ever have a break or any fun with the amount of assignments they give you. Mind you I can’t complain. You had twice as much to catch up on but you managed it,” said Max, rather proudly.

“You’ll have to point out the people who helped me Max. I haven’t had a chance to thank them yet and I’ve already been back for two days. I don’t want them to think I’m not grateful,” signed Liz.

“I’ll introduce you to them tomorrow Liz, I promise. Now tell me about the session. Was it okay?”

“Better than expected. Her name is Dr. Ray and so far she seems nice enough. I mainly spoke about the attack, moving to a new area, whether I had made enough friends, things like that, nothing too deep which I was glad about. I thought she would go straight into asking about my parents and I don’t think I’m quite ready for that yet. I mean I don’t ever talk about that with anyone. Well not until recently, with my mom, but even then I didn’t really tell her much,” signed Liz.

“Some things are just too personal sometimes,” said Max, in understanding.

“How is it that you seem to understand what I’m going through?” signed Liz.

“There are certain things that I don’t discuss with anyone, not even my sister or my mom. I understand Liz.”

“What sort of things?” signed Liz, now very curious.

Max laughed. “Not a chance Liz.”

“Worth a try though right,” signed Liz.

“Definitely worth a try.”

“Listen, I’ve got to get home but I’ll come by later, say around seven thirty?” signed Liz.

“Okay I’ll see you then,” said Max.

Liz got up off the sofa and headed towards the door.

“WAIT, LIZ!” shouted Max.

Liz spun around before she had even opened the door. She was about to ask him what was wrong when she noticed the look in his eyes. She gave a nervous gulp as he stalked his way towards her. He was looking her like a starving man would look at the first morsel of food he’d seen in months. She knew what was coming but couldn’t will her feet to move towards him; to meet him half way. One look from this man left her frozen, not in fear, but in anticipation.

As he approached her he slid his hands to the side of her face; his thumbs gently rubbing her soft cheeks.

“May I?” he asked, softly.

Liz gave an almost imperceptible nod.

“I’ve been dying to do this since the first time,” whispered Max, as his lips descended on hers.

She immediately opened to his gentle persuasiveness. God this man could literally rip the breath right out of her lungs with just one kiss. She had that rush feeling shooting through her body again. She started to feel light headed and grabbed hold of his shirt to remain upright. Would he always affect her this way?

As Max sank deeper into the kiss he couldn’t help but think back to the last time he had done it. This was definitely different. That first kiss came from the intense fear of losing one another; this was one of promises to come. That didn’t mean it wasn’t as intense or as passionate as the first kiss they’d shared, just different.

He broke the kiss, finally, and gave a small chuckle at the dreamy look on Liz’s face and then she did that thing that drove him insane. She licked and then sucked in her bottom lip, between her teeth, as if she still tasted him on her lips.

Before he could grab her again, he took a step back.

“I guess I’ll see you around seven thirty then.”

Liz just nodded and walked out of the house on wobbly legs. Just as Max was about to close the door she turned around.

“Max, wait,” she signed.

Max stopped closing the door and gave Liz his full attention.

“I forgot to tell you. I asked Dr. Ray about you joining the sessions with me. She agreed but wanted to wait a few sessions, you know, so I could get used to talking to her. Is that okay with you?”

“Whatever Dr. Ray feels is best Liz. I’ll be there when you need me. Just let me know when she wants me to attend and I’ll be there.”

“Thank you Max,” signed Liz, as she turned and left to head home.
“So, things seem to be going well between you and Liz,” said Isabel, making Max jump.

“How long have you been here?” asked Max.

Isabel held up her hands in a gesture of peace.

“Max, I swear I only caught the tail end of the conversation. I’m glad you’re going to be there for Liz. She seems to be getting worse. I know she’s been through so much but I’m getting more worried about her. She seems to be withdrawing into herself. I just want to help her.”

“I know Isabel. Those dark circles under her eyes are getting worse but what can we do. She’s not known us that long and we both know how hard it is to trust people with our secrets,” said Max.

“Yeah, it took me a long time to trust Alex with it. He gave me the time and space to deal with my issues with father but I’ve never told him about the other stuff Max. I wouldn’t betray your confidence like that.”

“Isabel, I know that and I trust you. I’m just sorry you have to keep secrets but I think this one is best left where it belongs, in the past.”

“Is that where it’s been left though Max?” asked Isabel. She knew her brother well and understood that there was no way he would let the beating Liz endured go unpunished. She just didn’t want him involved with that group again.

“It will be once this is all over,” replied Max, walking upstairs to his bedroom. He hated talking about this with Isabel. He didn’t want her to know what was going on but she had an idea.

“Max, what’s going to happen?” asked Isabel, worried for her brother.

“Isabel, don’t ask me any questions. You know better than that,” replied Max.

“Plausible deniability,” thought Isabel. She hated that terminology but knew it was necessary.

She loved her brother with all of her heart and knew that this must be killing him to do something so against his nature. He hated violence since he’d suffered so long at the hands of their father but he also put his family and friends above anything else. If they were threatened in any way then he would do almost anything to protect them and she had a feeling that Liz came at the top of that list.

It was then that she decided that maybe she could help her brother and started to formulate an idea. She would need someone to help her but she knew who that would be. She smiled, picked up the phone and dialled a familiar number.
As soon as the doorbell rang at exactly seven thirty, Isabel jumped up and answered the door.

“Liz! It’s so good to see you. Come on in, Max won’t be long,” said Isabel, as she led Liz towards the sofa.

“MAX! LIZ IS HERE!” she shouted, at the bottom of the stairs.

“I’LL BE DOWN IN A MINUTE!” shouted Max.

Isabel sat down next to Liz and faced her.

“So Liz, how are you,” she signed.

Liz sat frozen in her seat. She couldn’t believe that Isabel had made an attempt to learn sign language so she could converse with her.

“Max has been teaching you sign language,” signed Liz.

Isabel looked a little flustered and Liz realized that she would have to take this slowly.

“I’m good and you?” she signed, slowly.

“I’m good,” signed Isabel and then blushed. “I’m sorry Liz. I’ve only just started to learn sign language but I’m trying, honestly I am. I find it frustrating that I can’t understand what you are saying sometimes and I feel kind of left out of the conversation.”

“Now you have a small inkling of what it’s like for me Isabel,” signed Liz.

Although Isabel had no understanding of what she had signed it was lucky that Max had chosen that time to come down the stairs and translated for Liz.

“I don’t think I could ever fully understand Liz but just know that I’m trying,” said Isabel.

Liz signed something and Max translated for Liz.

“Isabel, Liz is grateful that you’ve attempted to learn and she even said that she would help teach you if you want?”

“Well, I spoke to Maria earlier on this evening and we decided that it was time we had a girls’ night in, no men allowed,” said Isabel turning towards her brother.

Max rolled his eyes and held up his hands.

“Who am I to get in the way of a girls’ night in. Mom’s away this weekend so I’ll go and stay over at Michael’s, you can do your girlie bonding thing.”

Although Max was curious about what his sister was up to he didn’t want to confront her about it while Liz was there.

“Are you free this weekend Liz?” asked Isabel.

Liz signed ‘yes’ which Isabel had understood.

“How about we make a day of it? We could go shopping first, then rent some videos; we could do our usual makeovers and then spend some time watching girlie flicks, what do you say Liz?”

“I’m quite partial to horror films myself but chick flicks I could cope with,” signed Liz.

Max laughed before he translated for his sister.

When Isabel heard that Liz was into to horror films she smiled.

“Well, between you and me I love horror myself, although I must admit I like the old classics like Hammer House of Horror. My favorite has to be Child’s Play,” said Isabel.

She noticed the look of excitement on Liz’s face and she frantically started signing something to Isabel that she couldn’t understand.

Max laughed and then translated for Isabel.

“You’ve only gone and picked one of her favorite horror stories Isabel. She too loved that one, never quite understood what was going on until the end. She says they never make them like they used to.”

“Unfortunately, Maria isn’t into horror. She has nightmares afterwards. I remember taking her to see one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. She always said that she never quite saw a bath as relaxing again, after seeing those sharp scissor hands cutting through the girl in the bath.”

“That had to be one of the best scenes,” signed Liz, which Max translated.

“I KNOW! But I have to admit that I had to check the bottom of the bath every time I got in it for about a month afterwards,” laughed Isabel.

“So maybe we persuade Maria to watch Child’s Play and we’ll watch two of her chick flicks. Do you think that will work?”

Again, Max translated for Isabel.

“Yeah, I think that might just work. Do you want to come around and spend some time with us?” asked Isabel.

“I’d love to,” signed Liz.

As Max was about to translate for Isabel she held up her hand.

“I understood that one Max. I’ll call Maria and make the arrangements. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a hot date with my man,” said Isabel, as she stood up and put on her coat by the front door.

Max still had a feeling that both Maria and his sister had something planned but he knew no matter how much he questioned his sister he would never get the full answer from her, so he decided to go with his gut instinct and stayed quiet. Whatever Isabel was up to he was sure it was something that would help Liz.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Chpt 28 15/Dec/10

Post by Janetfl »

I was only going to post Chapter 27 even though I have 28 already checked and ready to post.
Ah what the hell, I'm going to give you the next chapter. Why? Because we start to find out a little about Tess. :wink:

Thanks for everyone that left feedback.

Natalie36
Ellie
Carolyn
Courtney
Eve
Behr_able

Chapter 28

Max had done what he promised the following day and introduced Liz to the people that help gather her course work and took notes, she couldn’t thank them enough.

As the weekend drew nearer Liz had been surprised that she hadn’t yet bumped into Tess, actually not surprised but highly relieved.

That was until today. It was Friday and tonight was the night that Maria, Isabel and she were going to spend a girlie night in. Liz was really looking forward to it. She was so deep in her thoughts that she didn’t notice the blonde bitch making a beeline for her, that was, until she heard that annoying voice of hers.

“Oh Liz, I was so sorry to hear about your attack.”

Liz just stood and stared at Tess. “Yeah, as if,” she thought. For a brief moment the thought that Tess could have arranged the whole thing entered Liz’s head. She knew the girl hated her but she couldn’t quite see Tess going to those lengths, although admittedly she didn’t really know the girl that well.

As Liz stood silently looking at Tess she started to fidget slightly.

“Look Liz, I know we started off on the wrong foot and to be honest that was my fault but I wouldn’t wish what happened to you on my worst enemy. I was hoping we could bury the hatchet and start over,” said Tess, holding out her hand.

“Yeah, bury the hatchet right in your head!” thought Liz.

Liz stood for a while just staring at her pro-offered hand, as if it was some sort of alien life form. She then raised her eyes to meet the cold icy blue ones and then just walked past her.

“Well that went well,” thought Tess, as she decided to go with plan B. She couldn’t believe the mute freak had dared ignored her peace offering. As Tess walked around the corner she bumped into what felt like a brick wall, yelped and fell back on her ass. A small smirk appeared on Max’s face.

“Why don’t you watch were you’re going you ...” Tess stopped, as she raised her angry eyes to meet Max’s.

“You’ve got something to say to me Tess?”

“What? Why no Max. I wasn’t looking where I was going. Sorry.”

Max bent down and offered his hand to pull Tess up. She always knew he was a gentleman. As she gently placed her hand in his she felt herself almost lifted off the floor and a slight pressure around her throat.

“You will be sorry Tess if I ever see you talking to Liz again.”

A look of pure fear came across Tess’ normally stoic features. As she tried to croak out some words Max applied a little more pressure, not too much, just enough to get his point across.

“Don’t think I don’t know about what you did to Liz, Tess. She didn’t tell me but others did. Know this, if any harm comes to the people I love I tend to take that personally, know what I mean?”

Tess could only nod her head and then Max released his hold on her. He abhorred violence of any kind against women but when he saw her confront Liz, while she was on her own, his temper had got the better of him. Regret immediately flooded his system as he looked in to her fearful eyes but he wouldn’t show her that weakness, not after what he’d found out about her.

“Consider this a warning Tess, or should I say Tracy?”

At the mention of her old name, Max watched as all the blood drained from Tess’s face and she started to shake uncontrollably.

“How did you ... what ... nobody was ... it was sealed,” Tess just couldn’t get the words out as a cold dread spread through her entire body. She couldn’t face all those hateful glares again, not this time, she wouldn’t survive it.

“You’re making the same mistakes all over again but I won’t let what you did in your past, happen to Liz. Am I making myself clear? This was the first and last time I’ll ever lay a finger on you but mark my words Tess, I don’t need to get physical with you to destroy you and I think you know that now.”

Tess brought her tear filled eyes up to meet Max’s steady gaze. A small sob escaped her throat before she turned and ran like the hounds of hell were after her. As Max stared at her running figure a twinge of guilt coursed through his body, until he remembered the picture Tommy had shown him. As the bile started to rise in his throat he quickly ran in to the bathroom and promptly threw up the entire contents of his stomach.

He now knew what Tess was truly capable of and the fact that she could have arranged that attack on Liz caused another dry heave to rack his body. It wasn’t until he heard a loud knock against the cubicle door that he got his bodily functions under control.

“Max, what the hell is going on?”

“Something I ate,” he replied.

“Not buying it Max. I saw your little confrontation with Tess. What the hell did you say to her and why the hell are you now throwing up your guts?”

“Leave it alone Michael,” said Max, as he exited the cubicle, went and splashed cold water on his face and sprayed a mint breath refresher into his mouth. As Max went to leave the bathroom, Michael gently gripped his arm.

“Don’t do this Max. It’s me. Explain what the hell is going on,” said Michael, worried for his friend. He could see that whatever was going on was having a severe effect.

“It’s best if you don’t know Michael, believe me, I wish I didn’t,” and with that said, he removed himself from Michael’s grip and walked out of the bathroom.

“Oh this is not good,” Michael said to himself as he too exited the bathroom.

As Max sat quietly in his room he couldn’t help thinking back to the phone call and subsequent meeting he had with Tommy.

FLASHBACK

“Tommy, just checking in to see if you have any information yet?”

“Oh man, I have information for you alright but I’m not sure you’re going to want to hear it or see it Max.”

“I need to know.”

“If this chick is who I think it is then Max, you and that little lady of yours have a very serious problem on your hands. It took some doing, and you don’t want to know how we did it, but I’m not discussing this over the phone. We need to meet.”

Max pulled into the empty parking lot and switched off the engine. He was nervous as hell. He hadn’t seen Tommy in years but it wasn’t that, that had his nerves on edge. The undertone of Tommy’s voice made Max think that whatever he was about to find out was bad.

He took in a deep breath to gain that iron control he was known for and exited the jeep. As soon as he locked the door he heard a whistle and then a shadow suddenly appeared under one of the lights and then disappeared into the darkness again.

Max followed in that direction and met Tommy standing under one of the trees.

He was immediately engulfed in a manly hug.

“It’s good to see you again Max,” said Tommy. “I never got to thank you, you know, after the phone call.”

“We couldn’t contact one another.”

“I know but I’m thanking you for it now and the others expressed their gratitude also.”

For a moment there was an awkward silence and then Tommy started to speak again.

“Here’s the file. It was sealed Max, that’s why I couldn’t discuss this over the phone. Nobody is supposed to see that file. You’ll understand why when you read it. It’s a copy, the real one had to be returned but everything is in there Max.”

“What about the attack, was it her.”

“No.”

“Do you know who it was?”

“Best you don’t ask questions Max. It’s being dealt with and that’s all you need to know.”

“Thank you Tommy, for this,” said Max holding up the file “and...”

“Forget it. I told you I owed you and it still stands Max, no matter what I’ve got your back.”

“You don’t owe me anything Tommy, you never did.”

“By your reckoning, by mine just know I’ve got your back,” said Tommy, as he disappeared in to the trees.

Max didn’t want to think what Tommy meant by it was being dealt with but if it meant that Liz would be safe he didn’t really care, or so he told himself that.

He made his way back to the jeep and started to read the file. As he got deeper and deeper into it he couldn’t believe what he was reading. How the hell could someone like this be out in the civilised world, she should never have been released.

END FLASHBACK

Max sighed as he heard a tentative knock on his bedroom door.

“Come on in Isabel.”

She came in giving him a sheepish look and smiled.

“You haven’t said a word to me all day Max and you were quiet in the jeep, is everything okay?”

“Yes, I’ve just got a lot of things on my mind.”

“Are you and Liz okay?”

“Never better,” he smiled.

“Okay, well I just thought I’d let you know that Liz will be here around seven.”

“So you want me to get my butt over to Michael’s,” asked Max, with a cheeky grin on his face.

This relaxed Isabel and she smiled.

“If you don’t mind,” she said.

“What are you up to Isabel?” asked Max, finally deciding to confront his sister.

A look of confusion came over her face.

“I don’t understand Max.”

Max chuckled.

“I know that you have girlie nights but never have you asked me to leave, so what’s going on?”

“Oh Max it’s not like that. It’s just Liz is your girlfriend and well you being here kind of spoils the whole girls night in thingy, no men allowed.”

“Yeah right and pigs might fly,” replied Max. “Whatever it is you’re up to Isabel, don’t pressure her.”

“I ... Max I wouldn’t do anything like that to Liz. I just want her to know that we’re here for her.”

“Okay, I’m off,” said Max, jumping off his bed and heading out the bedroom door.

Isabel sighed in relief. She knew Max didn’t believe what crap she had just spouted but she also knew that Max was trusting Isabel with Liz.

“See you tomorrow Max!” shouted Isabel, as she heard the front door open.

“You ladies have a good night!” he shouted back, before firmly closing the door behind him.

Isabel waited to hear the jeep pull out of the driveway and then immediately phone Maria.

“We’re on; get your butt over here.”

“I’m on my way,” said Maria.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Angel Of Silence (AU, M/L, ADULT) Chpt 29 21/Dec/10

Post by Janetfl »

Thanks to everyone who left feed back.

Ellie
Courtney
Carolyn
Natalie36
Ginger
behr_able
Eve

Chapter 29

“So how are we going to handle this Maria?”

“We can’t push her Isabel or she’ll just clam up, just like she did the last time.”

“Maybe we should just reveal something about ourselves that would make Liz feel more comfortable opening up to us?”

“What are you going to tell her Isabel? That you feel guilty that Max protected you and your mother from beatings by taking the brunt of your father’s violence?”

“No,” whispered Isabel.

“Honey, I know you want to help Liz but there’s nothing you can do without exposing Max in the process. When he’s ready to tell Liz about your father he will. We can’t do that for him.”

“Then what can we do?” Isabel asked in frustration.

“Just be there for her. Look we know she won’t talk about anything from her past, well not the important stuff anyway and she’s seeing a therapist for all of that so maybe we should just leave that bit to the professionals. What we can do though, is keep an eye on her tonight and find out just what the hell is keeping her awake at nights.”

Isabel had never felt so completely frustrated and helpless not being able to help one of her friends that were obviously suffering an ordeal that none of them could truly understand.

“I guess you’re right Maria but at least Max knows about Tess now,” said Isabel.

“Oh that reminds me, she was in school today right?” asked Maria.

“Yeah, why?”

“I didn’t see her in our classes for the rest of the afternoon. Liz told me that Tess had tried to bury the hatchet so to speak.”

“I hope Liz didn’t fall for that,” said Isabel, worried.

“Nah, she just walked past her but since then nobody has seen her.”

“And the problem with that would be?”

“Oh nothing, I’m just worried she’s up to something now that Liz effectively shunned her.”

Just as Isabel was about to tell Maria not to worry the doorbell rang.

“That’s Liz,” said Isabel, rising to answer the door.

“Not a word Isabel. We have to do this the right way.”

“Agreed.”

Isabel, Maria and Liz had a wonderful time. They spent a good portion of the night doing each other’s hair, trying new makeup ideas, eating ice cream, painting each other’s nails and generally having fun. Once they finished all the girlie stuff it was time to sit down and watch the films that they had rented. When Maria saw Child’s Play she had an absolute fit.

“There is NO WAY I’m watching that thing. I don’t want to be having nightmares about my dolls that I had when I was a kid coming back to kill me!”

Both Isabel and Liz had a look of confusion on their faces.

“You know Chucky!” Maria visibly shuddered.

Isabel burst out laughing and Liz had a massive smile on her face.

“Oh god,” said Isabel as tears were streaming down her face.

“WHAT? What the hell are you laughing at,” asked an indignant Maria.

Once Isabel finally got herself under control she explained to Maria that this film wasn’t the one she had thought of.

“This was made back in the 70’s or 80’s Maria. It’s part of the Hammer House of Horror collection,” explained Isabel. “There’s no murdering doll in it.”

“Oh, hey wait, what do you mean by the Hammer House of Horror? You know I don’t like to watch horror things before I go to bed.”

“Maria, seriously this film isn’t bad. It’s more like the Twilight Zone with a slight twist,” signed Liz.

“Oh, so like no beheading or massive sharp razor blades coming out of the bath or anything?”

“No, actually I think you might like the twist to the story,” signed Liz.

“Okay, well if you two can watch my chick flicks I guess I could give this a go, but I swear if there’s any blood I’m gone,” said Maria in warning.

Isabel switched off the light and the girls settled down to watch the film. They were on the sofa with a blanket covering their legs. Once the film had finished, both Liz and Isabel turned to Maria for her opinion.

“Okay who ever thought that one up must have been on acid or something,” said Maria.

“Did you like it?” asked Isabel.

“Yeah I liked the twist at the end. I didn’t have a clue what was going on. I thought they’d been captured or something like that and were being held prisoner in a replica of their own home. I didn’t expect that ending that’s for sure.”

“Now that we’ve had our fill of junk food and watched the horror movie, I guess it’s time for the chick flicks,” said Isabel.

Liz placed Titanic in the DVD player and pressed play although it was already one am in the morning. They’d spent that much time putting green gunk on their faces and doing makeovers that it took longer than they had expected. Liz sat and started to watch the movie. She couldn’t help but feel happy that she now felt closer to the two girls sitting next to her. Maybe, just maybe she should trust them with her problems.

By two am the girls were fast asleep with Titanic still playing in the background.
She was surrounded by darkness again and that foul stench began to reach her nostrils.

“Oh god, not again,” begged Liz.

Just as she finished she heard that all familiar scraping sound coming towards her.
Neither of the girls, sleeping soundly next to her, heard Liz start to whimper, nor did they notice the beads of sweat forming on her forehead.
A sudden flash of light through the darkness almost blinded Liz but she still made out the outline of her dead parents.

“I CAN’T DO THIS ANYMORE!” she yelled at them. “LEAVE ME ALONE!”

It was the first time that Liz had actually had the nerve to tell them to go away.
Maria suddenly jumped up, not quite sure what had woke her up, until she felt Liz thrashing about beside her.

“No, no, please...”

Maria nearly fell of the sofa and quickly nudged Isabel awake.

As Isabel came out of a deep sleep she sat up still feeling groggy.

“Maria, what the hell?”

“Shush, listen.”

“No, please stop it. Go away.”

Isabel looked at Maria in shock.

“She’s talking,” said Isabel, with her mouth agape.

“Please stop, just go away. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?” yelled Liz.

“What should we do?” asked Isabel.

“Should we try to wake her up?”

“Yes, I can’t see her go through this much longer. She’s drenched Maria,” said Isabel, pointing to Liz’s pyjama top that was now stuck to her skin.

Maria quickly switched on the lamp beside her and promptly screamed at the top of her lungs.
They were getting closer to her, their burnt remains reaching out to touch her. Liz screamed as one set of bony hands curled around her wrists and the other set around her ankles.
Isabel couldn’t believe what she was seeing. She was trying to scream but nothing would come out. She could hear Maria but nothing was quite registering with her brain, that was until Liz sat bolt upright, opened her eyes and let out a blood curdling scream.

This galvanized Isabel in to action. She slapped a hysterical Maria around the face which immediately shut her up, but she was in shock, until the sobs she heard from Liz finally cleared the fog in her head.

Maria immediately reached out for Liz and held her tightly.

“Shush Liz, everything is okay now. You, you just had a nightmare. We’re with you. Come on calm down.”

Another round of heart wrenching sobs escaped Liz’s mouth.

“You ... you m...must think I’m crazy,” sobbed Liz.

“Liz, what were you dreaming about?” asked Isabel. If Liz had been listening she would have heard the fear in Isabel’s voice but nothing would get through to her brain except the image of her mother and father grabbing at her limbs.

“I ... I can’t tell you,” she sobbed.

“Maria, she doesn’t realize she’s talking.”

“I know,” whispered Maria. “Just talk to her Isabel.”

“Liz, please, we want to help you. Tell us what you were dreaming about, please,” begged Isabel.

“You’re ... you’re g...going to think I’m crazy.”

“Honey, after what we’ve just seen I don’t think that’s possible,” said Maria, in a shaky voice.

“My ... my parents,” sobbed Liz.

“Oh shit,” said Isabel. “Maria, tell me you saw what I saw?”

Maria numbly nodded her head.

“Liz, I have to ask you something and I want you to be honest with me,” said Isabel. “Did your parents ...” Isabel was feeling sick. She couldn’t believe what she was about to ask Liz.

“Did your parents burn in that accident?” she rushed out.

As more heart wrenching sobs wracked Liz’s body she just nodded her head.

“Oh God, it was real Maria. How?”

“I don’t know but it scared the living shit out of me,” replied Maria.

“Liz, you have to listen to us. We saw what you saw,” explained Isabel.

“What?” squeaked Liz.

Isabel gently grabbed Liz’s face and turned her head so she could look into Liz’s eyes.

“You’re talking Liz and we ... we saw the burnt remains of ... of something grab at your legs.”

As Isabel’s words finally penetrated the pure fear and Liz’s eyes widened in shock. She tried to talk but nothing would come out of her mouth.

Both Isabel’s and Maria’s shoulders slumped. They could tell that Liz had lost the ability to talk again.

“What do you mean, you saw what I saw?” signed Liz.

“Oh god Liz, it was awful. I woke to find you thrashing around and you were yelling for someone to leave you alone. I woke up Isabel and we weren’t sure what to do. We decided to wake you up so I switched on the light and we ... I ... well we saw ... oh god I don’t know what we saw, it was awful Liz. You could see bones and this flesh was just hanging off but the worst part was that it had its bony fingers around your ankles. As soon as I switched on the light I could see it but it sort of shimmered and vanished,” explained Maria.

Liz started violently shaking and both Isabel and Maria couldn’t quite tell if it was because they now knew her secret or because the sweat was finally cooling her skin.

Isabel jumped up and got a spare set of pyjamas from her draw upstairs and ran back down to Liz.

“Come Liz; let’s get you out of those wet things and into something dry. Maria, can you put the coffee pot on? I think Liz needs to be warmed up.”

“Sure,” replied Maria, as she set about her task. She needed to do something normal to try and dispel that awful image from her mind. She couldn’t even imagine how Liz had stayed sane seeing that on a regular basis. Her heart went out to the girl and vowed that she would help her one way or another. The first thing she needed to do was persuade Liz to tell Max.

As the coffee pot started gurgling Maria stepped back into the living room to see a newly clothed Liz sitting with a blanket around her and Isabel cuddling her.

“Oh god Liz, I’m so sorry. How long has this been going on?”

“Since the accident,” signed Liz, which Maria translated for Isabel.

Both Maria and Isabel exchanged horrified looks.

“Haven’t you ever told ANYONE?” asked Maria.

Liz just shook her head.

“I thought I was going crazy. I thought that if I told anyone they would put me away and I couldn’t handle that,” signed Liz.

“Liz,” whispered Maria and then burst into tears as she sat down next to her.

“You don’t have to feel that way anymore Liz. We KNOW you’re not crazy,” whispered Maria, through her tears.

Liz, for the first time in years, took comfort from her friends and actually felt like a great weight had been lifted of her shoulders. She wasn’t crazy.

“Liz, you have to tell Max,” said Isabel.

A sudden look of pure fear came across Liz’s face before she frantically shook her head.

“Liz honey, you have to listen to me,” said Maria. “Max needs to know what’s going on with you. He’ll understand. We’ll tell him what happened here tonight and what we saw.”

“NO!” signed Liz.

“You have to Liz. He’s worried about you. Is that ... did you ...”

“What is it Isabel?” asked Maria.

“Is that what you saw when you ran out of the diner and Max found you being sick?”

Liz’s eyes went as wide as saucers and then she simply resigned herself to the fact that her secret was now out and no matter what Max would eventually find out.

She simply nodded her head.

“Please Liz, explain to Max. He’s worried sick about you. He’ll understand I promise you,” said Isabel. “We all have our demons to deal with Liz.”

Maria shot a look at Isabel in warning.

“I’ll tell him tomorrow,” promised Liz.

“Come on, let’s try to get some sleep,” suggested Isabel.

“I’ll take the first watch,” replied Maria.

Liz looked at her strangely.

“What? You don’t think I’m going to let that happen again do you. Isabel and I will take turns and if you look like you’re having a nightmare before it gets bad we’ll wake you up, besides I don’t think I could sleep after seeing that,” explained Maria.

Liz snuggled down on Maria’s lap and fell into a deep sleep as Maria continued to stroke her hair.

“I can’t sleep Maria,” whispered Isabel. “I don’t know how the hell she’s coped with that for so long. I’m terrified to go to sleep and it’s not even me that’s going through it.”

“I know. No matter what Isabel, we can’t let Liz back out on telling Max.”

“Definitely.”
Last edited by Janetfl on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.