Teach Me...(AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 9, [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Teach Me...(AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 9, [WIP]

Post by DreamerLaure »

Title: Teach Me Tonight

Author: DreamerLaure

Category: AU, M/L & CC ALL

Rating: Mature

Disclaimer: I don’t own Roswell or its characters, and the premise of this story isn’t mine. The plot, the characters, and this little slice of Roswell are mine on loan however for the duration of this. The title of this is from a cover song written by Gene de Paul and Sammy Cahn.

Summary: Liz Parker is in her last year of high school and she’s convinced all of her dreams are within reach. Yet in one short week, for the girl who always gets what she wants, her perfect senior year starts to unravel awfully fast. A devastating accident upsets the balance even more, but the scariest thing is it’s totally up to her whether the accident changes things for better or for worse.

(This is a challenge response to French-dreamer’s tutor story: here. I suggest waiting until after chapter four!)

Author’s Note:

I chose this challenge because I saw so much potential from the moment I read it. And all I could think was yes, yes, yes! Right away a brave, independent Liz was leaping out onto the page; she was going a mile a minute until her world fell apart and a careful, stubborn Max was right around the corner.

Many thanks to my beta dreamerfrvrp3 for everything! I owe you for this, Wise One.

Feedback? I like it a lot.

To quote Mario: Here we go!!

Teach Me Tonight

Prologue
So this is love, Liz Parker thought dreamily.

Her lips were chapped, her eyes stung from the bite of the wintry breeze, her cheeks felt like they would turn blue if they could, and her shoulders ached like she’d just swam every inch of the 400 meters she clocked in at practice.

But in spite of all of that, she was happily sitting in the dugout with butterflies flitting at her temples.

This must be love, and it sure hurt like a toothache.

Liz leaned forward and cupped her chin in her hands. Her eyes were trained on his nicely toned body, and she sat there immobile for the few seconds that he jogged across the small curve of the track directly in her line of sight.

Despite the chill of the crisp December day and the fact that their pre-season didn’t even begin until February, the entire Varsity baseball team was out running on the tracks.

The baseball coach, Coach McCarthy, had probably not too gently hinted that he expected them to win their all-state title again. The boys had probably been decided to keep in great shape year round. She knew all of the girls on her swim team, herself included, would do just about anything to win awards, break records in the spring and bring a smile to their Coach Mullen’s face.

Here they were, running outside in the crisp wintry air, and here she was, watching one in particular with barely disguised longing in her eyes.

Roswell, New Mexico didn’t have harsh, bitter winters like other parts of the country, but it was cold enough for Liz to be bundled up in her wool sweater and shiver every couple of minutes.

Whether she was shivering because of the biting wind that swept their way every few minutes or because her hair was still damp, was debatable.

Maria DeLuca, one of her best friends, hugged her knees to her chest and moaned, “Why aren’t you freezing to death?”

“That’s a funny question,” Liz murmured under her breath. She reached into her pocket and extended a stick of Orbit gum to Maria.

“Here. Chewing gum helps,” she said pointedly when Maria didn’t pull her hand out of the warmth of her own pocket. “Moving your mouth and keeping the warm air in,” she added.

Maria rolled her eyes at the suggestion that she should just keep her mouth zipped, and said, “It’s not a ridiculous question,” as she popped the stick into her mouth.

A moment later, she scolded, “Your hair is still wet.”

“It’s not wet. I dried it with my towel and did a turn under a dryer. And now it’s damp. The only reason my hair is wet in the first place is because chlorine does a number on my hair so I always have to rinse it out. ”

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Maria was frowning. “I don’t see why you can’t stick a blow dryer in your locker.”

“Why bother when there’s a whole row of hand dryers right by the sinks?” Liz said firmly, hoping to close the door on that topic shut.

Her eyes were still following him until the last possible second when the cluster of runners behind him blocked him from her sight completely. She really liked that he was at the head of the pack with the fastest runners, removed enough from the ones who just couldn’t keep from joking around.

Her stomach did a teensy, tiny flop as she realized he was dedicated, just like her.

“I’d keep a blow dryer with me if I had to swim twice a day,” Maria grumbled as she uncrossed her legs and stretched. “It’s a miracle that it hasn’t wrecked your hair already.”

“You already do keep a blow dryer on you at all times.”

“Well,” she murmured as she reached one hand up to touch her hair. “Sometimes a girl needs to be prepared for emergencies and unlikely situations.”

“The point is, I’m made of hardier stuff than you, and apparently,” Liz paused and teasingly poked her own bun, “my hair is Rapunzel-like, able to support the weight of chlorine and dashing storybook princes.”

With a lazy smile tossed Liz’s direction, Maria said, “Can’t argue with that.”

“Poor Alex,” they both said at the same time with huge smiles as memories from play-dates already a decade old rushed over them.

When a sharp whistle and the piercing whine of a megaphone came from a scant three feet away from their dugout, Maria swiftly covered her ears and scowled. Liz reluctantly tore her eyes away from the field and listened.

“OK, let’s practice the pyramid and the new routine for fifteen minutes and then we’ll go back inside the gym. Remember the faster you get into position, the sooner you can start finessing your delivery,” promised a sugary sweet voice.

Maria instantly made a harsh gagging sound so Liz clapped her hand over her mouth to cover her giggle and swiftly elbowed her best friend.

A group of fresh-faced cheerleaders skipped towards the benches, peeled off their sweatshirts and bounded onto the field, cutting right in front of the approaching baseball guys. Some of the girls were outgoing enough to shyly smile and flirt with their crushes, already taking their cues from the way the Varsity cheerleaders acted.

There were two girls trailing behind them, and the one carrying the megaphone was not the one in the cheerleading uniform oddly enough.

To Maria’s disgust, the two girls were making their way towards the away team’s dugout that they had commandeered for the past two weeks.

Maria lowered her voice and muttered, “Whose smart idea was it to give Missy Troy a megaphone?”

Liz gave a tiny shrug before she looked up. For a second, she thought she saw a dark shadow flash in Missy’s pale, icy blue eyes, but it disappeared just as quickly, that she wasn’t even sure it’d been there. Then Missy was standing before them, smiling warmly at both Liz and Maria.

“Hey, Parker, Maria…How’s it going?” Missy asked sweetly.

“We’re just hanging out here for a while, waiting on a friend.”

“It’s so cold out here today, right, Jenny?” she asked, spinning around to face her friend.

Jenny, a shorter redhead with unruly curls and a smattering of pimples on her chin, opened and closed her mouth like a fish out of water and no words came out aside from a choked, gasping sound that could have been the word “no” as much as it could have been “yes.”

“Poor Jenny’s got a sore throat and her voice is a little touch and go. Imagine, we were at lunch today, I was nibbling on my salad, telling her all about Brown and how perfect it is for me, and she was feasting on her big bacon sandwich and I didn’t hear a peep out of her the whole time. She’s tried cough drops, water, hot tea, cold tea, hot towels, cold showers, steam rooms…”

Missy chose that moment to toss her long mane of blonde hair behind her back before turning to Jenny for confirmation. “She’s tried just about everything aside from standing on her head,” she added with a glittering giggle.

She talked quickly, using her hands like punctuation marks whenever she chose. Every hand gesture attracted notice of her freshly manicured nails and bejeweled wrists.

Maria picked up on the snootiness in Missy’s voice and her expression soured instantly.

“And then I got to thinking after she scribbled out what the problem was on her palm. Poor Jenny’s got to run JV cheerleading practice today, deliver her oral report in Spanish tomorrow, and track down a lucky boy to ask her to formal. So I thought why don’t I do some of the talking for her and make it a little easier while she recovers!” the blonde in front of them beamed so that her teeth shined back at them.

Liz blinked twice, startled as always by the state of her teeth.

“Oh, Daddy just got this new teeth whitening machine into the office and I was his unwilling guinea pig,” she continued, managing, somehow, to keep a smile on her face with every word she spoke.

Maria, disgruntled, rubbed her eyes. Why was Glinda trying to blind them again?

“Don’t they look fantastic?” she cried.

Beside her, Jenny was nodding so hard the frames of her glasses were doing double time to keep up with the motions of the mass of curls tucked behind he ears.

“Oh, Maria, it looks like you’re turning green, too! Just let me know if you need me to help you out.”

Instantly, Jenny’s face colored bright red and she looked over her shoulder at her squad.

Maria’s eyes narrowed and she stuck up her chin. She leveled the girl across form her with an icy stare and told her, “I’m not sick, Missy. And maybe you should check out that article in Teen Vogue because that bronzer SoCal look isn’t in anymore.”

A slightly admiring grin crossed Missy’s heart shaped face before she indulgently replied, “I don’t read Teen Vogue, and if Elle magazine says it’s in, it’s in. On the other hand, it did say to toss out old makeup from childhood and Halloween. Things like aquamarine blush.”

Anger flared in Maria’s eyes and she almost, almost jumped up. Then Missy smoothly recovered by innocently adding, “Well, goodness knows my little sister is always playing with my makeup so maybe I did the right thing by keeping some of the fun stuff. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Liz gulped and looked away uncomfortably as both girls fumed at each other. She was never in her element when girls fought like this. She never knew what to say or where to look when it didn’t involve her. It would have never occurred to her that by not looking at Maria and not jumping in she was giving Missy even more power.

In spite of all of this, Liz was probably the most pleased person there when Missy broke the silence with, “Okay, well Jenny and I have to run. Practice can’t run itself you know.”

Before she left, she looked down her nose at Liz. “Hey, Liz, are you nervous about Friday?”

Liz frowned. “No, I’m actually really excited. Any of us would make up a good co-captain pair.”

Missy nodded, “Well, I’m sure you’re right.” She turned on her heel and practically dragged Jenny across the field.

“That girl is like a bucket of ice down my shirt,” Maria groaned as soon as Missy was out of earshot.

“Excuse me, I happen to think Missy is extremely hot,” Alex huffed as he entered the dugout and started unloading his camera gear.

“I take that back: ice down my shirt in the dead cold of winter in the middle of Russia at this very moment,” Maria said in a deadpan voice.

“She’s so nice, too,” which earned Alex a slap from Maria that had him rubbing his shoulder.

“What rhymes with Sissy the Witch?” she sang playfully.

“Wash your mouth out with soap!” Alex teased.

“Well what rhymes with Ferry and Fizzy the Bores?” Maria asked.

“SHAFT!” Alex cried, a little too loudly, and the three of them cracked up, the laughter of each contagiously infecting the next whenever it threatened to die out.

“Hmm, is it obvious I don’t like her?” Maria asked dryly.

Liz shrugged. “You haven’t spent any time with her. She’s not half bad.”

“She and I could be great together,” Alex said dreamily.

Liz made a loud gagging sound. “OK, that I can’t accept.” She was rewarded with a quick, strong shove from her slender best friend before he slid one arm around her neck and gave her a hug.

Maria leaned her head on Liz’s shoulder and muttered, “Why do they even need to practice?” referring to the group of junior cheerleaders who were struggling to keep up with Missy’s barked commands.

“Don’t know,” Liz said neutrally, distracted by one who was facing them and smiling broadly at her. She smiled and waved back.

“It’s not like we even need them. I’m always screaming myself hoarse at every game I go to without their rallying me to do so.”

“Some girls think it’s a big deal,” Liz offered, remembering the long list of names for auditions each year. The list was replaced two days after the end of tryouts. The crossed out names were those who hadn’t made it, the circled ones were the second string cheerleaders and the scant highlighted names were the ones who had more or less arrived at the top of the social pyramid at school.

“Whatever.” Maria said, sighing and slumping so forcefully her bangs floated away from her forehead. “I’m just glad you and I never got sucked into that abyss.”

“Yes, thank God! Who knows who I’d be forced to sit with at lunch?” Alex climbed behind the lone bench and started packing up his camera equipment.

“You know, we’d probably be shaking our pom-poms and doling out boxes of fresh baked goods at half time with huge smiles on our faces,” Liz said with a sigh.

Maria snorted, “We both know I’m allergic to ovens. I’d pity the poor guy who got me as a spirit minx. He’d break a tooth so fast.”

Alex squeezed his head between theirs and rested his chin on the cradle of their shoulders. “OK, even I know that’s definitely not what they call them.”

“Then it’s probably the sugah mamas,” Maria purred with a giggle.

A smile crossed Liz’s face and she beamed back at Maria. “Yeah, that’s it.”

The sharp buzz of a whistle sounded from the field and the baseball team started heading towards the cooler. Maria jabbed Liz with her elbow when she started beaming at him.

“What?” Liz demanded quietly.

“Stop smiling so hard,” she insisted through clenched teeth as he started crossing the distance between them. “Relax!”

Liz didn’t spare Maria an irritated glance before she returned her eyes forward and met his.

“Hey,” he said when he stopped in front of them. His eyes swept over Maria and Alex’s faces, including them, then he focused on her. “Hey, Liz, what’s up?”

“Nothing new, just got out of practice,” Liz said with an easy smile. “You?”

“I just ran about five miles, I’d rather have spent that time in the pool,” he replied with a weariness she knew was for her benefit.

His lips curved up into a smile, a wide dimple flashed in his right cheek (she’d been in love with the boy for six years, of course she knew which cheek his dimples lay in!) and utterly paralyzed her.

He leaned forward. She sat up straighter and didn’t dare blink.

To her left, Alex busied himself with changing his camera batteries. Let’s face it, by the time Liz was done drooling over Evans here, it’d be nighttime.

Oh, boy. Liz gripped the seat bench tighter.

“Think you’ll win next week?” he asked.

She shrugged and humbly said, “We have a pretty good shot.”

He shifted his weight and shielded his eyes from the sun. “Are you still working on our paper?”

“Actually, I finished my half last night. Maybe you can send me yours when you’re done so I can put them together and print it.”

“Cool, I just finished my conclusion. I could bring over my half tonight and we could finish it up together,” he suggested.

“Tonight?” Liz squeaked.

She was dimly aware of both Alex and Maria covering up their laughs with a cough and snort, but it didn’t matter at that instant.

“You want to come over tonight?” she reiterated slowly.

She could feel her cheeks heating up as he lazily knit his eyebrows together and a teasing glint flashed in his eyes. Her eyes locked onto his smooth lips as he said, “Sure, why not?”

Okay, well it wasn’t the yes, of course she’d wanted to hear but she wasn’t greedy. She’d take what she could get!

A sigh fell from her own lips, one that had Maria rolling her eyes and slyly whisking the pack of gum out of Liz’s pocket without her even noticing.

“Two birds with one stone,” he added with a low rich chuckle that spread over her like honey.

Alex’s eyes narrowed at his words, but her eyes were still riveted to his lips as she dreamily imagined what it’d be like to kiss him. When he awkwardly shifted his weight back and forth, she shook her head and stared. “Two what?” Liz whispered.

Her eyes flew back to his face to scan his light brown eyes for any clues. She kept searching but nothing changed and the only thing the lost seconds proved was that he was a very patient guy.

From her right, Maria was studying his smile too. She saw how his gaze remained cool and friendly, and she didn’t need to be facing Liz to find out if she was staring up at him adoringly. Her voice was practically oozing with it.

Maria sighed and busied herself with answering a text message. If there were two things last summer had taught her it was how to recognize smiles like that and true chemistry from a mile away. There wasn’t an ounce of that here and the truth is that smile on his face was one a popular guy like Kyle Evans bestowed upon every girl he spoke to.

Liz’s heart fluttered. “That’d be great. What time can you – er, are you coming over?”

He looked over his shoulder as the junior cheerleaders cried, “Go Comets!” at the top of their lungs.

“Umm, how about we work on it at eight?” he suggested.

Liz blurted, “Great! See you at eight!”

“Uh, yeah, great,” Kyle said, his eyebrow arching up before nodding once and leaving.

“That was so great,” Alex teased. “Isn’t it great when we do things together?”

“Just great!” Maria chipped in with a giggle.

“Shut up,” Liz hissed.

“I’m feeling great about how it’ll go tonight! Make sure you fill us in when we’re all together,” Maria chanced.

Liz elbowed her hard and when Alex added, “That sounds great, great, great!” she fixed him with a glare.

He shivered visibly and chuckled, “Easy there, cowgirl.”

Liz chewed her lower lip thoughtfully. “Kyle’s coming over tonight. What does that mean?” she asked softly.

Before she even gave them a chance to answer or guess, she offered weakly, “Do you think he’s going to ask me out?”

Over her head, Alex and Maria exchanged worried glances.

“Uh, maybe?” Maria said, her voice not hiding the doubt she felt.

“Anything’s possible!” Alex chirped, determined to one up her.

“Only time will tell,” Maria said testily, frowning at him.

“Why not?” he said as he squeezed Liz’s shoulders. “You’re attractive, and you’ve got that hard-core athlete working-out-til-I-drop mentality.”

She smiled half-heartedly. “Yeah,” she said on a whisper.

“You know, I wish Mrs. Davies would give us a history assignment like yours so I could finagle a date out of my partner,” Alex said seriously.

“Actually, it’s been a bit tricky. I only have to write the intro and half of the body while he writes the rest and the conclusion, but we had to really plan it out first.”

“Better six pages than all twelve,” Maria pointed out.

Liz murmured, “Definitely.” Kyle was starting across the field with a teammate, and they were making their way towards the cheerleaders.

Maria had definitely had more than her fill of popular guys like Kyle Evans. It seemed the only thing to do was to wait for Liz to outgrow her interest in him, which undoubtedly she would, Maria thought sadly.

She had to bite her tongue, sit on her fingers, and scrunch her toes to keep from spilling her observations. She knew Liz was not ready to hear it anytime soon.

The way she saw it, Liz would probably be ready to hear it over a cone of Ben and Jerry’s finest ten years from now so she casually asked, “Can we have standing Ben and Jerry’s dates until we’ve got arthritis?”

Liz didn’t hesitate. “Absolutely, I’ll pencil you in from now until forever.”

“Fantastic!” Maria said happily.

“Quick, smile!” Alex instructed as he crouched down before them. The two girls scooted closer and curved their mouths into huge smiles for the camera he had poised at them.

He snapped his camera lens twice, and a third time, without flash, the instant their faces relaxed. Alex was the new photographer for the Yearbook club. It felt like everyone knew his name lately because he’d been stopping by rehearsals and practices to snap candid pictures. He’d just finished up the last of the individual faculty profile shots, and by next week, he’d finish up the club and team portraits.

Maria watched with amusement as Liz began seeking Kyle out again with anxious eyes.

“Say, Alex . . . ”

“Yes, my lady . . . ”

Maria laughed and rolled her eyes. “Do you ever wonder why we wait here for you?”

He lifted his shoulders and heaved a heavy sigh. “Maybe ‘cause my car is in the shop and you offered to wait for me to finish up my Yearbook duties so you can give me and us a ride.”

“Well we could just as easily wait in the lounge or the library where there’s heat,” Maria pointed out.

When Liz looked at her, she went on. “Instead we wait out here on the cold dugout bench. Her hair is still wet,” she said as she feathered her hands over Liz’s bun. She peered at the dark wet spot at the bottom of Liz’s knapsack. “And she didn’t even squeeze out her swimsuit.”

“So?” Liz said, bouncing her leg up and down.

Maria paused one telling moment. “I was just making an observation.”

“Well, if you’re still cold, we can go home now,” Liz suggested.

Maria rolled her eyes. “That’s not the point.”

“It isn’t?” Alex asked.

“No, the point is she is so heartsick it’s making me queasy,” Maria told Alex.

Liz cleared her throat loudly, and stood so she was facing them. “Hello, I’m still here!”

Maria nodded. “Yep, and so is Kyle.”

Seeing the calm on Liz’s face she nudged her best friend with, “You could ask him out right now. Why wait for tonight?”

A playful glint was sparkling in Maria’s eyes and Liz felt herself nodding. Her words, “Yeah, sure, why not…” lingered in the air for a few seconds.

Maria’s mouth dropped open because she’d been expecting Liz to talk her way out of it. No one loved a challenge more than Liz, but she’d been sure she’d turn this one down. This was the first time Liz had shown any of her usual fire and courage when it came to Kyle Evans. She recovered quickly and gave Liz a reassuring hand squeeze.

“Liz,” Alex said gently, playing mediator. “You don’t have to do this…”

“She could though,” Maria said boldly.

“I was going to do it anyway,” she told him. “Sooner or later.”

Alex nodded and grinned suddenly, “If he says no, will you give him a black eye, too?”

Liz’s hands clapped to her mouth in shock and she giggled, fondly remembering a play-date gone awry when they were just six years old. “Alex, had I not given you that black eye, would we be friends today?”

Alex laughed along with her and he managed to reply, “Absolutely not.”

A loud burst of wolf whistles, girlish squeals, and cries of “Way to go, Evans!” came from the field and Liz, Alex and Maria all turned to assess.

Liz’s heart sank as her eyes landed on a tiny blonde cheerleader in lip-lock with Kyle.

She jealously watched the girl raise her arms and loop them around his neck while they went on kissing and smiling. As ridiculous and impossible as the thought of even kissing when you were that happy seemed, Liz could tell it was probably amazing.

Liz let out a little gasp as the girl in his arms kicked her legs up in the air. She suddenly recognized those Sketchers sneakers, that jeans jacket, that ribbon tying back her shiny golden curls, and even those knee socks with the light blue stripes. Those socks were hers!

“Oh, my God,” Maria hissed loudly enough for Liz to know that what she was seeing was not just her imagination playing a wicked trick.

Alex blithely replied, “Huh? What? Ouch! What’s the matt—Oh . . . ”

Then the only thing Liz could hear was her heart pounding while the joy on her younger sister’s face crystallized in her mind.

When Kyle and Tess snatched gulps of air and refastened their mouths, Liz angrily swiped at a tear that was sliding down her cheek.

She whirled around and snapped, “So can we leave yet? Clearly he’s already taken.”
Last edited by DreamerLaure on Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 12 times in total.
"The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives."
Meredith - Grey's Anatomy
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me Tonight (AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Prologue 8/1

Post by DreamerLaure »

:? :( I'm so sorry! I turned 20 last weekend, which was great, but I also had some writing-related projects to finish before my internship ended and I'm a slow writer so it took me a while to finish the end of this.

I am floored so many of you enjoyed this!! :o It's one thing for me to love writing something, it's really something to hear y'all like it too.

Mary mary Thanks! :)

destinyc Thanks! :)

Natalie36 Thanks! :)

keepsmiling7 I love that song too, and thanks!

Rowedog
Lauren? Posting in AU W/O? No way! :shock:
I know! It actually felt like falling off a bridge lol
(Everyone else, only Alison knows one of my embarrassing secrets: I’m a little terrified of this forum. It’s been my reading place for so long, it’s weird to transition.)

Any-way, thanks, Al! And I most certainly do have more.

Begonia9508 Thanks!

kismet
So most of the Parkers and Evans` will hook up :wink:
Yes, 2 out of 3 from each side is a pretty high percentage indeed :). Thanks!

guelbebek Thanks! And Tess is younger than Liz. :)
Liz swimming is really great. I like her as a swimmer.
Oh, so do I :)

abbs007 Keeping you wondering is what I do best. Thanks!

nibbles2 Neither have I :) It will definitely be fun.

twilight
Wow! You really had me going there thinking it was Max and it turns out to be Kyle
Uh, gotcha! I totally understand, it’ll be just as enjoyable either way. I probably won’t get you later though :)

POM Thanks! Hope this is soon enough.

Addicted2AmberEyes
Although I am happy it was Kyle...leaves Max open, or at least more open than Kyle.
It certainly does ;)

spacegirl23 Thank you! You’re in luck – I love writing the three of them together so you’ll definitely see more. :)

Nubantu Thanks!
When are you going to be posting again.
Saturdays mostly. I’m a busy girl though.

crazedearthgirl Thanks! :)

And Hannah. Thanks so much!

Chapter 1

Fifteen minutes before first period began the next morning, Alex walked down the hallways of West Roswell High with his backpack slung over one shoulder. He nodded at a few friends he passed and whistled the chorus of a song he was writing as he made his way towards his homeroom.

It was finally Friday, and all that stood between him and the weekend were seven hours here at school. The highlight would definitely be the surprise birthday party for Liz that Maria was planning, and he was also excited about sleeping in late and strumming his favorite songs on his guitar all Saturday and Sunday morning.

When he turned the last corner on his route, he spotted Liz standing in front of her locker, her arms folded over her chest and a surly scowl on her face.

Since she had morning practice for the swim team everyday, her Dad usually dropped her off at school on his way to work. Alex lived within walking distance from their school so he usually got there on a bike or by foot, and Maria always drove herself, after pressing her snooze button too many times and getting a late start. When she finally reached, she’d throw the car into a parking lot, get out and race to the school building. Alex knew all of this because he tried getting a ride from her a few times, only to collect a handful of neon blue late slips.

“Let me guess,” he said as he approached Liz. “In the top secret West Roswell production of ‘Snow-White,’ you’re playing Grumpy?”

“Huh?” She looked at him, startled, and blinked a few times.

“Sorry, Alex,” she murmured. “I was um, hours away.”

“How was last night when you got home?” he asked carefully.

She snorted. “Oh, it was picture perfect. Just pretend for a second you have a sister, then imagine what it’d be like if she went out with,” Liz paused and scanned the hallway they were in furtively, then she lowered her voice to a whisper, “the guy of your dreams and told you everything about them.”

“Let me just assure you, Liz, that your dreams are quite different from mine. It’d have to be my little brother going out with the girl of my dreams. But if it were my hypothetical sister with that girl, I really like the way you think . . .”

“Alex!” she exclaimed as she shook her head. “Your mind just goes places I don’t need to know about.”

He grinned. “At least I got you smiling again.”

Liz rolled her eyes good-naturedly and laughed softly for a few seconds.

Then another dark look crossed her face. “Anyway, can you imagine?”

He nodded and made a comforting humming sound. Liz grabbed his arm suddenly and squeezed hard.

She desperately ground out, “Alex, I mean every single little thing. That’s all she talked about all night.”

“Ouch,” he winced sympathetically. He nimbly pried her fingers off his arm.

“Oh, sorry . . .” she said, and Alex shrugged as if it weren’t any big deal. As soon as she turned away, Alex shook his arm and rubbed it to take away the sting.

“Al, I’m not good at the girl talk stuff, and she just went on and on and kept asking my opinion. She kept going on about dinner at his house and playing Pictionary with his parents.”

When Liz got home the night before, she’d lied and said she wasn’t feeling well. Though she talked her Mom out of giving her Advil or Tylenol, she found herself agreeing to have a bowl of chicken noodle soup whenever she woke up. Then Liz slept in her room for the next three hours.

Later, she finished the reading for her French class and looked over her calculus problem set, all the while not leaving the comfort of her bed. Progress was slow though because she found herself continually distracted by thoughts about Tess and where she might be. It was a school night, and if her parents did know who Tess was with, then they probably set a strict curfew for her. But eight and nine o’clock rolled by without any sign of Tess.

Those thoughts finally took second place when Maria called to ask about the upcoming math test and to discuss their plans at the mall on Saturday. To Liz’s surprise, Maria carefully avoided mention of Tess or Kyle. And it worked. It made it all the easier for her to forget temporarily. She was able to really concentrate on the rest of her homework for the next hour.

At quarter after ten, she finally went downstairs to help herself to dinner. Her parents were in the living room watching the evening news. When they asked if she wanted to join them, Liz hugged her stomach and said she was starving. Her Mom told her there was a bowl of chicken noodle soup in the microwave.

The kitchen was the most popular room in the house. Her parents had rescued the kitchen of their dream home twenty years ago from its inevitable awkwardness. The architect hadn’t really thought much beyond giving it a cool shape, one that wasn’t exactly practical. It wrapped around in a tilted L shape, and her parents had been stuck with a cramped corner that needed something.

They jazzed up the elbow of the kitchen with a round oak table, vintage light fixtures, a walled bookshelf that displayed recipe books and photographs, and built in booth seats under a huge bay window, which faced the street. Over the years, the little breakfast nook of the Parker kitchen became home base for after school snacks, lunch in the summer, Sunday brunches, and all of the moments in between.

Liz sat there while she ate her soup under a lone lamplight, occasionally flipping the pages of an old issue of Tess’ Teen Vogue.

Ten minutes later, as she was swallowing the last spoonful, a bright car light shone through the window and a familiar, faded red Corvette pulled to a stop right at the mailbox. She let her soup spoon clatter against the rim of her bowl before numbly crossing the distance to the window.

It was Kyle’s car indeed and the bright moonlight gave her an eyeful that made her jealousy rear its ugly head again. Liz blinked away her tears and stormed upstairs.

She was scowling over the pages of her math textbook when Tess glided into their bedroom, practically floating on her own cloud.

Her sister went through her usual bedtime routine as she spilled the details of dinner at the Evans’ house: she kicked off her shoes so they bumped into the night table, she tossed her jacket so it landed on the carpet between their beds with a soft plop, then she unsnapped her cheerleading skirt and walked back and forth from her dresser and closet in her Soffee shorts.

When Tess finally ran out of things to tell her, she rolled onto her back, hugged her pillow and giggled happily. “It was so perfect, Liz.”

“It was almost eleven when I finally got a word in edgewise and told her that Kyle said he was coming over to see me,” Liz told Alex sulkily.

“Oh right, to work on that paper,” Alex said.

When Liz’s frown deepened, he sighed sympathetically. “He forgot, huh?”

“Yeah. All she said was that he told her, and ‘in the magic of the night’ they forgot! Then she said sorry so many times, I was the one who felt guilty,” Liz complained. “So she called him and he emailed me his paper right away. After five rounds of ‘No! You hang up first,’ I hid in the den.”

“Banished from your own bedroom, huh? She is evil,” Alex joked.

Regret and guilt suddenly filled Liz’s huge brown eyes and she scowled even more. “She isn’t at all. It’s this whole thing between them, it really sucks.”

“Are we talking about the return of widely spaced polka dots?” Maria asked as she joined them. She was the only one wearing a polka dot skirt and headband. She twirled and said, “Because I think they’re awesome.”

“We’re talking about the youngest one in the Parker clan: sweet, innocent Goldilocks,” Alex offered helpfully.

“Ah,” Maria murmured. “Are we talking about her hot date last night, or Liz’s dilemma?”

Liz buried her head in the depths of her locker and moaned, “Don’t call it that! It was a nightmare for me.”

Her location muffled the sound and Maria shook her head. “Quick, Al, get a translator!”

“I give you Exhibit A,” Alex replied instead. “Clearly it’s both. It’s one and the same, and it’s affected her deeply. What’s your recommended course of treatment, Dr. DeLuca?”

Maria rubbed circles on Liz’s back and sighed. She was convinced the only real cure for Liz was to get over her crush on Kyle Evans once and for all.

Instead she said, “You, me, and lots of laughter.”

Alex pretended to pull a book out of the air to check that prescription. “Yes! That will definitely work.”

The bell for first period rang and groups of seniors, laughing and joking, came down their hallway, on their way to one of the three homeroom classes.

Alex leaned in. “Come on, Oscar. Time to face the world again.”

“No,” she mumbled. “I like it just fine here in my trashcan.”

“OK, fine. Have it your way for the next five seconds.”

“No that’s not fine,” Maria whined. “If I get another late slip, I’ll have to do detention today. No one should do detention on Friday. Come on, Liz.”

Liz backed out of her locker. “Only for you…” she sighed as Maria tugged her arm and grinned like a cat that got the whole bowl of cream.

“Okay, let’s get started,” Missy said as she sat down among the other seven senior girls. She had appointed herself head of this little committee. She chose the spot between the diving board and her best friend, Sherrie Delaney. “Let’s talk specifics. “Riley, did you finish the new design?”

A short, thin blonde with huge sunglasses perched on her head nodded enthusiastically. “Yep, just like we discussed.” She unsnapped a rubber band from around a rolled poster and Liz helped her hold it up.

“Oh wow, that’s perfect,” Sara St. James gushed.

“I love having our school name on the stretchy band,” said Carrie Voigt.

“And the numbers and nicknames look great at that size,” Liz chimed in.

Missy acknowledged Riley’s changes with a brief smile, but she wasn’t one of the girls that complimented her. At the moment, no one remembered that it was Missy who had made one innocuous comment about the original design before they wasted an entire meeting discussing what needed to be changed and scrapped it.

“Speaking of which,” she continued smoothly as she fixed her bright blue eyes on another senior girl who was busily braiding her trademark pigtails. “Did you get everyone’s approval for the nicknames on there?”

Julia Pogue’s hands stilled and she confirmed it. “I checked with everyone, and of course some names got shot down, but everyone seemed pretty happy.”

“Good, we don’t want any complaints from the parents like there were last year,” Becky Trent joked, easing up the tension in the room considerably.

“And what about the sizes?” Missy looked over her notepad at Carrie Voigt who was across from her.

Carrie nodded. “Yep, it’s all here on the clipboard. I even got Darcy’s size.”

At the mention of her name, there were several calls of “Well done,” “Nice! She’ll love it,” and “What a great idea.” Darcy was a former teammate whose family moved away at the end of sophomore year. She would have been graduating with their class if she’d stayed.

“And before we have a replay of the last month, all I need is a one word answer . . .” Missy said in a blasé tone. All eyes landed on Becky Trent, a wiry redhead sitting on the other side of Liz. “So, colors?”

“Done,” Becky said. “The votes are in from everyone, and the masses want the creamy white writing on the green fabric.”

There were sighs of relief from every girl around the circle. Then she asked, “And how about the funds? How’d we do?”

This time all eyes were on Liz, their appointed treasurer. They had decided someone responsible needed to safeguard the money, and Liz certainly fit that bill.

“Well,” she hedged. “We earned about half of the money from the September car wash, and it’s really helped that everyone’s pitched in and given donations. Our biggest profit though were from the relays last weekend.”

At her last words everyone cheered and whooped excitedly. Her idea of throwing a sponsored relay race had been more popular than she’d expected it to be.

She’d gotten her idea on one random morning when her Dad dropped her off at practice earlier than usual and she talked with their Coach for a while. Coach Mullen had joked that her daughters had so many lanyard bracelets around the house from their summer camp classes that she was always able to lay her hands more easily on one of those than a match to her earrings. Her daughters were all grown up now, so when Liz had asked if she’d mind lending them out, she had said they could keep them.

Two weeks ago, all of the girls on the swim team were given money pouches and told they had six days to get as many sponsors as they could. Then for every ten sponsors a girl got, she got a new lanyard bracelet from Coach.

With Coach’s permission, Liz had been able to announce that the girl with the most signatures would get to miss one morning practice before their season really heated up as an extra incentive.

Most of the girls had kept things simple and acquired their sponsors the most straightforward way possible – reaching out to family, friends and neighbors.

Some of the girls had been a little more creative because they really wanted to win.

Melissa Jones, a freshman, had bragged she would do one cartwheel for each sponsor no matter what. Of course, she’d had one of the highest numbers of boys sponsoring her. Riley had wisely hit up her grandmother’s knitting circle, and sophomore Mary Pomroy had stopped by their old elementary and junior high schools to have all of her teachers sponsor her. Carrie used her candy striper gig at the hospital to drum up support, and Sara used her hours tabling for Winter Formal tickets to get sponsors.

Liz gave her notebook to her Mom, who worked part time as a bank teller. She’d been slightly embarrassed when she went to pick up the notebook and saw the huge signs and baskets her Mom had set up for her – there were five total, strategically planted around the waiting room of the bank.

Sherrie got the most sponsors, and there was an unconfirmed rumor that Sherrie and Missy drove up to SU to visit her older sister, Vikki, at her sorority, and within 48 hours, many of Vikki’s Greek ‘sisters’ and ‘brothers’ sponsored them.

The seniors graciously gave the junior swim girls free reign to set up the rules and parameters. They added a hula-hoop face off before either girl could jump in, a countdown with time penalties for each round, and a three item pool scavenger hunt for bonus points.

“So where are we at?” Sherrie said while everyone was still basking in the success of the relay race. At her voice, everyone quieted and waited.

Liz flashed a glowing smile. “We raised five hundred and thirty nine dollars.”

A round of applause followed her announcement, and when the first bell for sixth period came through the intercom near the scoreboard, everyone got to their feet and huddled in the center.

Missy looked around the circle, gifting each girl with her smile. “Okay, we’ll update everyone at practice later, right before the election.”

The final part of the election for the new co-captains was finally taking place that afternoon. All of the candidate hopefuls had made general speeches in one of the 7 AM practices over the past week, but that wasn’t really the deciding factor. Each girl was also given the chance to spout advice before everyone hit the water. The smaller, short speeches were the true test because everyone likened those to the encouraging speeches they expected before the big meets in the early spring. So, if you were good now, everyone knew you’d do a good job later.

The process ended with all of the candidates giving one last speech on Friday afternoon before everyone scribbled down their top three choices and Coach Mullen’s assistant, a scruffy, injured football player, Jake Miller, tallied the votes.

Of course the unspoken rules were that throughout the week, they were allowed to talk to other girls on the team and convince them they’d make terrific captains.

Liz was running against Becky, Sara, Carrie and Missy. Becky, Carrie and Riley were all easygoing, and just as popular with the younger girls on the team as Liz was. All four of them had been close ever since freshman year, and Becky and Liz had been on an out of school swim team together in junior high, which was when they became fast friends.

But Missy and Sherrie were the best of friends in ways like Liz was with Maria and Alex. And they were opposites in every way. Missy was widely known as one of the sweetest girls in Roswell, while Sherrie had a wicked, mean sense of humor that kept the school’s rumor wheel well greased.

“I just know no matter what happens, we’ll get two fabulous captains,” Missy was saying. “And to top it off, in a matter of weeks, the new sweatshirts will finally be here, and I just know they’ll be the best yet. Great work, everyone!”

Liz even found herself squealing and cheering excitedly with her teammates. Then the circle broke and everyone started shuffling towards their second to last afternoon class.

Becky and Liz were the last girls on their way out of the indoor pool area. Just two feet ahead of them, but within earshot, Sherrie and Missy were deliberately walking slowly.

“You did put the money somewhere safe, right?” Becky joked as she bumped into Liz playfully.

Liz shrugged off her concern. “Oh, don’t worry about it, it’s perfectly safe.”

At Liz’s confident words, a devious gleam shone in Missy’s eyes and she slyly winked at Sherrie.

“Now, it’s been driving me crazy all day,” Sara said with a playful glint in her eyes.

Riley smiled and interjected, “Since two hours ago?”

She ignored her and fixed her gaze on Liz instead. “I’ve never even seen five hundred dollars at once,” she breathed.

Carrie came out of the locker room at the tail end of her words and she added helpfully, “And thirty nine dollars,” as she plopped down on another row of the same bleachers they were perched on.

Sara shrugged her shoulders. “I have thirty-nine dollars in my wallet right now, so that’s nothing to blow my hair back. But combined with five hundred?”

She made a quiet humming sound and beamed at the girls. “It’s possibly the closest thing to heaven.”

Becky snorted, and observed, “You’re just trying to get her to cave,” as she gestured at Liz, who was slowly scooting away from them.

The unwanted attention gave her pause and she jiggled her feet. “My uh, foot, I mean my feet fell asleep.”

Becky gave her a skeptical glance, then Sara started craning her neck and twisting herself forward.

“What are you doing?” Liz demanded when everyone started giggling at the direction of Sara’s inquisitive gaze.

“Ok, Sara, that’s enough,” Carrie said sternly though her lips were tugging upwards at the corner. “Stop looking down Liz’s shirt. You’ll have a better chance of finding out if hers are larger when she ditches the sweater and dives in.”

Liz crossed her arms over her chest protectively, Becky casually leaned forward, and Carrie laughingly added, “Or you can just accept the fact that Becky’s definitely the biggest.”

Sara planted one foot on the bleacher stair nearest her and said, “I’m not checking out her boobs. I know mine are bigger.”

A few giggles escaped some of their younger teammates who were gratefully eavesdropping on the cool senior girls’ conversation. As soon as they’d realized that there were some seniors who always got to practice early to hang out, those girls had started showing up too.

At her words, Liz’s eyes widened and she almost blurted out, “Oh, really,” but she already knew this one was a losing battle.

Sara sighed. “Ah, there it is!”

“What?” Liz squeaked. She yanked the collar of her sweater up to her chin but it just slid back down.

“Did you find gold?" Becky demanded.

"Or socks?” Riley offered and everyone groaned, remembering how Riley herself proudly stuffed her bras in the ninth grade.

“No, Dumb and Dumber, she’s wearing the key.” Sara said with exaggerated patience.

At the identical blank expressions that all four of her friends sported, Sara explained. “I was looking for the key to the cashbox, and Liz has the necklace chain under her shirt today.”

“Oh, I see . . .” Riley murmured.

"Is the key at least gold?" Becky pouted and Sara shook her head with a smile.

Carrie wiped her brow and let out a soft whooshing sigh. “So you’re not checking her out?”

She rolled her eyes. “Oh please, remember my adoring boyfriend, Nick?” she demanded. Sara shook her head and fixed her eyes on the cashbox Liz had on her lap. “There’s only one thing I’m thinking about.”

When Liz tightened her grip on the cashbox, Sara resorted to begging. “Come on, what’s the harm of taking a peek?”

Becky shrugged. “I’m curious too,” she offered when Liz looked at her for support.

“Traitor,” she said with a smile. Then she turned to Riley and Carrie.

Carrie yawned and peeled off her sweatshirt. “I know what five hundred looks like,” she said lightly. “It’s a number on the ATM screen. Nothing more.”

“Not all of us have time for jobs,” Sara said impatiently.

And Riley was leaning forward, “What if it’s like really quick? What if you show us the money fast?”

Sara latched on to her words and grinned. “Yes, exactly! Flash us, Liz. Flash the money.”

Liz finally smiled too. “That’s the best idea I’ve heard all afternoon.”

All four girls scooted closer. Even Carrie’s eyes were shining with interest and the younger girls on the fringe of their inner circle had quieted and were waiting for the flash of five hundred odd dollars stuffed into the cashbox.

Ever since the car wash, Liz had worn the key for the cash box around her neck whenever she brought it to school for their other fundraising events. The rest of the time she left it in her room and hid the key in her ironically enough, her socks drawer. She unwound the necklace and stuck the key in the lock.

“Ok, ready?” Liz glanced up to see everyone’s faces were enraptured with the box. “One, two, three!”

She turned the cashbox so it was facing her friends, then she twisted the key and lifted the cover for less than a second.

As soon as she lowered it, Sara whined, “I didn’t see anything!”

“Me either,” Carrie pouted. She’d just started wearing glasses the year before and she took them out of her pocket with a wry smile. “Maybe that’s my own fault, though.”

“I did flash it correctly, right?” Liz asked with an arched eyebrow. She smiled as her friends started laughing.

Becky was still frowning though. “Um, I’m not sure what I saw and I’m sitting right beside you. It even looked like there wasn’t—”

“I think you should flash it again,” Sara interrupted as her eyes brightened with renewed interest.

“It was kind of dark,” Riley offered. “Maybe it was too fast.”

“Flash it again,” Carrie said as she slid down a closer bleacher step and waited.

“Sure,” Liz said and she slowly lifted the cover again. This time she counted slowly in her head to a full two seconds. She was puzzled as their looks of confusion were replaced by different ones altogether and before long everyone was leaning back and sporting bored looks.

Sara suddenly rolled her eyes and clapped her hands when Liz shut the cashbox once more. “I get it, I get it. Ha ha, Liz very funny.”

“You really had us in the palm of your hand,” Carrie said before standing and stretching in front of the pool.

Riley cracked her knuckles. “You’re good, Liz.”

“What are you talking about?”

“The money,” Sara sniffed pointedly. “Nice trick, getting us all drummed up about it, just to show us an empty box.”

“What?” Liz demanded. She spun the box around and reopened it. For the first time since last weekend she actually looked at the contents of the box and her jaw dropped more. “It’s empty?” she echoed numbly.

Becky was the only one who heard the question in her voice and looked at her in concern.

The doors from the locker room swung open and Missy and Sherrie with more of the younger girls trailing behind them entered the pool room.

Sara said in a hurt voice, “The least you could do is not act like you didn’t know.”

“But I-I-I didn’t…” Liz stuttered as she tried to defend herself.

She flushed as she tripped over one word, one word that was enough to have Carrie looking at her with concern as well, which was the last thing she wanted right now. She bit her lip, swallowed and tried again.

“I didn’t know that it was empty!” she insisted louder this time, and she felt a cold shiver run through her body as Sherrie looked over her shoulder at the empty cashbox and arched one perfectly shaped eyebrow.

“Are you saying someone took the money out of the box?” Sara shot back as she put her hands on her hips. “Come on, I find that a little hard to believe.”

“No one could have. It’s been at home when it hasn’t been here, and I never left it in my locker. And I always put it in Coach Mullen’s office when we weren’t using it.”

Then Sherrie was standing beside Sara and cocked her head to one side. “So what happened? It just magically disappeared?” She said, adding a small disbelieving smile that made Liz lose her nerve.

“M-m-maybe, I mean, I don’t know. I, uh, don’t know what happened. This is the first time I’ve opened it –”

“If you say the first time ever, Pollyanna, you’re not who I thought you were,” Sherrie hissed quietly.

“That’s not what she said,” Becky snapped back just as low, but the girls that were nearest to them could hear every word anyway.

Liz swallowed over the lump in her throat. “What I meant is that this is the first time I’ve opened it since the night of the relay when I counted it and secured the cashbox.”

“But not well enough,” Sara said, and Liz picked up on the ounce of hope in her voice and replied, “Yes, maybe. Maybe… It’s possible it just…”

“Walked out of the locked box in the past week and hid under your bed?” Sherrie said snidely.

Then Liz was aware that all of their teammates had trickled in from the locker room, and most of the other girls were watching with wide eyes because at Sherrie’s mocking words, she heard a quick burst of giggles.

Numbly she felt Becky enclose her hand with hers, and she licked her lips nervously. “I don’t know what to –”

Coach Mullen left her office at the other end of the room and started walking towards them.

“I promise I will figure out what happened and make this up to everyone. I’m sure there’s a logical—” Liz started to say firmly.

“Afternoon, girls. We’re going to start with the elections before we get in the pool,” Coach Mullen said after she blew her whistle and sharply cut off Liz’s apology. She handed a basket with the slips of paper to Sara.

Liz wasn’t the only one who saw Sherrie glaring at her and the empty cashbox with disdain as the basket went around the room. When she took the basket from Carrie, Liz firmly closed the box and looked down at the five names on the sheet. She swallowed hard and started to number her top three choices, and it wasn't who she always thought it would be.
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me Tonight (AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 1 8/14

Post by DreamerLaure »

Thanks so much guys! I'm out of town at the end of this week for a Project Runway party (which will be as fabulous as it sounds!) and a sleepover at my friend's beach house. So I'm not sure if I'll be back on Saturday or Sunday yet. Whichever day it is, you'll see a new part.

begonia9508 Thanks! Yeah, it’s really not fair. I agree, poor Liz. She’ll have to make it up to them somehow…or find the money.

Janetfl Exactly, they wanted to make her look incompetent. It’s going to go exciting places ;) Thanks!

keepsmiling7 Thanks! :)

kismet Thanks!
...but more importantly as a dreamer :wink: I can`t waite til` Max makes his apearance :D
I’m a dreamer too, so I can’t wait for y’all to meet him. He’ll definitely be worth the wait!

AlysLuv I know lol, she’s having a rough time…

destinyc Yeah, she’s tougher than she seems though.

abbs007 Yeah, I wasn't...Would you hate me if I said that wasn't half of it? Thanks! :)

Rowedog I know! We’re both scared for silly reasons. I think you need to give it a shot too and thank you! I’ll just smack you with a pillow instead lol :D

spacegirl23 Oh, he wouldn’t be the hero of this if he weren’t able to swoop in and cheer her up lol :) Unfortunately, they haven't met yet :?

Thanks! :)

and Hannah.

Almost all of you are saying poor Liz and where’s Max, lol. On that note, I’ll continue.

Chapter 2
Maria flicked off the radio station with barely hidden dislike when she pulled to a stop in front of the Parkers’ house that afternoon.

Liz flashed her a charming grin. “I can’t help it. They’ve sunken into my soul and aren’t letting go.”

Her friend impatiently rolled her eyes. “The Fray, seriously?” She pressed one of her presets and instantly the rich voice of Jennifer Hudson belting filled the air. “Now this is music.”

“You do realize we’ll never be on the same page music-wise.”

“A fact of life you’ll just have to live with when you’re in my car,” Maria replied with a smile. After listening to a few lines, she glanced at Liz and saw a familiar defeated scowl on her face.

Before she could open her mouth, Liz beat her to it and firmly said, “I don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

“Sure,” Maria said slowly. Then she added, “But it’s not your fault that . . .”

“Yeah, it’s not my fault that in ten minutes I not only lost the money for the senior class gift, but I also lost the election,” Liz cut her off with a scowl on her face.

Maria winced. “You didn’t lose the money,” she said emphatically.

At Liz’s annoyed glance, she added, “Losing the money would imply that you left the key beside the box…”

“The key was in my socks drawer, the money box was in the back of my closet.”

“Or you just took it out for a second and forgot to put it –”

“I didn’t take it out, and I haven’t forgotten,” Liz said tightly. “I counted it and put it back into the cashbox, then I locked it, put the key back in its hiding place and hid the cash box.”

“Then it just doesn’t make sense!” Maria exclaimed.

Which was how Liz had felt all afternoon. She could still remember the accusing glances everyone had thrown her way all practice. Apart from Becky, no one had really said much to her. Instead she replied, “It feels like I have ‘irresponsible’ stamped on my forehead in bright red and everyone could see it at practice.”

Maria combed her fingers through her hair and turned the volume dial down. “You don’t think quick enough on your feet. You could have said you asked your Mom to open a checking account with it or that you know it’s in an envelope in the attic, tucked away.”

“You’re right,” she said quietly. “I could have come up with something believable. But I was caught somewhere between shock and disbelief when I saw the empty box that I couldn’t even . . . Well, you know the rest.”

Maria sighed. “OK, you can still save face,” she said, her voice confident and determined. “We need to find the money this weekend. Tear your room apart right now, search high and low, leave no corner unlit.”

A small smile crossed Liz’s face as Maria became more and more fired up. “OK, I will…tonight.”

Maria’s jaw dropped and she stared at Liz. “Tonight?” she squeaked. “Why aren’t you going to look right now? You need to clear …”

“No, what I need is to not think about this for a while. I just survived the coldest practice ever,” Liz said as she pulled her backpack over the armrest and into her lap. “There’s nothing worse than twenty-one girls staring at me like I’m gum stuck on the bottom of their shoes. Or knowing all of the whispered conversations that ended when I came into the locker room or finished my shower were about me.”

“I’m sure once everyone realizes this was all a big mistake…”

“They’ll let me apologize and redo the election?”

“Of course they’ll let you apologize! As for the election…” Maria chewed her lip thoughtfully and hesitated. She knew exactly how much it meant to Liz. She’d been dreaming of the day she’d be a senior and captain of the varsity swim team ever since they were in middle school.

“I mean, Sara and Missy? Come on…” Liz said softly. “I never imagined it would go down like this.”

“I thought you said Sara would do a good job,” Maria said, frowning.

Liz scowled. “Doesn’t mean I’m not upset on principle. She just joined the team last year. Besides, her speeches were terrible.”

Maria snickered. “Good one, Madame President. Not everyone likes to practice speeches to their stuffed animals.”

Liz blushed. She was still mortified that Maria had come over last month and her Mom had sent her right up to the old playroom where Liz was supposedly cleaning up. Instead she had pulled out a handful of her old dolls and stuffed animals, and arranged them as an audience. Maria had caught more than half of the speech before she broke into applause when Liz paused. “You swore you’d never bring that up again.”

Maria smiled mischievously. “I was just speaking hypothetically. At least she’s nice. Missy would sooner stab anyone in the back then push them into the water than pay them a real compliment.”

Liz shrugged. “I think we can officially call this the worst week of my life,” she said as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

Maria seemed determined to end her pity parade because she called out, “Whatever, Grumpy! I am coming over tomorrow morning bright and early, and we are going to turn your room inside out!” as Liz left the car.

She crossed the front lawn in easy smooth strides, and naturally went to the soccer ball tangled up in the hose, then she scooted it down the length of the house. When she reached the corner, she kicked it towards the goal by the back fence, across the pool, and pumped her fists in the air when she saw her aim was pitch perfect.

Turning, she entered the house by way of the kitchen door. The Parker kitchen was by far the coziest and most popular room in the house and it got more traffic than any other room.

Liz’s Mom, Caroline Parker, often joked that they loved to use the connecting door from the garage and the one leading to the backyard so much more than the front door that she didn’t even see why they needed a doorbell.

As far back as Liz could remember, the handful of times, family visited, either her parents or her brother had brought them home from the airport and they entered the house through the garage. So the only times the bell actually rang was if there was an unexpected guest, which was almost never.

The first scent that Liz detected was her Mom’s delicious butternut squash soup, and she beamed. She was never the first one home while she was in season because Tess usually made it home before she did. Tess had tried out for the cheerleading squad in the fall, and now she that she was also dating Kyle, Liz always made it home first.

She loved that while Mom was putting her finishing touches on dinner, she got treated with taste tests along the way as her Mom improvised with the recipes and added a dash of cayenne pepper or plain yogurt whenever she wanted to.

“Hi, Mom,” Liz said as she pushed the door open.

“Hey, sweetie. Oh, you’ve got to taste this,” her Mom urged.

Liz leaned forward to the proffered ladle and tasted the spoonful. “Oh, that’s so good. It’s not as sweet as usual, but it’s definitely more flavorful and tasty.”

Her mother smiled and nodded. “Oh I absolutely agree. Smell how good that is,” she told her excitedly as she swept her arms back and forth over the pot.

The small breeze her Mom was creating with her arms catapulted Liz’s senses with another great gulp of the soup. “It smells so good!”

“Wait until we add the apples,” her Mom told her.

She handed her two tart Granny Smith apples and a peeling knife. Liz walked around to the other side of the kitchen island table and got to work on her task.

“So how was school today?” Mrs. Parker asked.

Liz groaned. “Not the best.”

“No?” She asked as she turned to face her oldest daughter. Physically they were both very similar – it was clear where Liz had gotten her heart-shaped face that easily broke into a smile, and their eyes were like shades of light brown. Mrs. Parker was as petite as she was, though it did fill Liz with some pride to know she was an inch taller.

“Wasn’t your math test today?”

“That’s Monday. It wasn’t anything school-related really. My classes were fine. It’s just that…” she trailed off.

She popped an apple slice into her mouth and chewed thoughtfully while her Mom made quick work of chopping fresh parsley across from her.

“We had the elections at practice today,” Liz said.

“Oh yes!” Mrs. Parker exclaimed. “Wait, start at the beginning. How did the baked goods go over?”

Liz blinked and struggled to remember what had happened at the early morning practice. “Oh, everyone loved the donuts,” she said.

Mrs. Parker smiled indulgently so Liz clarified meaningfully with more enthusiasm, “They loved your homemade cinnamon apple donuts. It was a huge success.”

“Wonderful,” her Mom flashed her a wide grin. “And then you had the actual election an hour ago. How’d it go?”

She slowly said, “I think it went okay, just not how I expected.”

Her Mom smiled at her words. “I thought you had that in the bag,” she said, repeating Liz’s words at dinner a few days ago.

Liz felt the beginnings of a smile. “Well, I thought so too…”

“So there’s nothing to worry about,” Mrs. Parker said firmly. She touched Liz’s wrist and said encouragingly. “I know you’ll get it.”

Mrs. Parker turned then to stir the soup and add more vegetables. She continued, not knowing just how much her words were affecting Liz. “You’ve wanted it for so long.”

“Yeah, since Dad took me to cousin Jill’s meet in the sixth grade.” Liz said quietly. She stopped slicing her apples.

“And whatever happens, I am so proud of you,” Mrs. Parker told her happily before she transported another spoonful to Liz.

Oh crap, Liz thought as she swallowed. She smiled to let her know the soup tasted great. It was just like Michael always said; you could always count on their Mom to turn the tables at any second and make them feel like a million bucks and completely undeserving of that much love.

She wanted to blurt out the truth right then, and just get it off her chest when she spotted a bright blue envelope propped up on a dishtowel. Her name and address were neatly placed in the center in a familiar slanted script.

“Oh no…” she groaned.

Mrs. Parker turned and followed Liz’s gaze. She chuckled. “It’s marked from a few days ago so it probably got lost in the mail this year.”

“Is it just me or are her envelopes are getting brighter and, more, uh, one of a kind every year?”

“Don’t you mean flashier?” Mrs. Parker asked cheekily. Liz picked it up and sure enough, there were pasted confetti squares and green glitter on the back.

“Mom!” Liz cried feebly. “It’s the, er, thought that counts.”

Her Mom raised her brows and put her spatula down on the table, coming face to face with her daughter. “Well, she’s never going to forget you hate pink,” she joked.

Liz hesitated, lost in a memory from her fifth birthday party when her grandparents drove over from Phoenix to see her.

First of all, they hadn’t seen her in almost a year, though, at that age, Liz had still confused them with her other set of grandparents, who never visited because they lived on the East coast in Pennsylvania, so she was puzzled why they had come so far.

Her birthday had been the perfect blend of rough-and-tumble fun and yummy cupcakes. The fact that Liz and Michael had had almost three years together before their Tess came along had made them inseparable. They were building a birthday fort together in the backyard while Tess was tucking in her doll in the miniature cradle upstairs.

Now and then Liz felt badly about how rarely they invited Tess to play with them, but she had loved being included by Michael much more. That morning had been filled with all kinds of fantastic adventures, most of them thought up by her older brother as usual.

“What kind of mischief were we up to that morning?” she asked, hoping her Mom could jog her memory.

Mrs. Parker’s eyes warmed with amusement. “Well, I woke up at nine that morning to the delightful sound of the both of you shouting, “mudddddd!!!!!!” and “piiiieeeeeeeeee!!!!!” at the top of your lungs.”

She shook her head and chuckled, “To my surprise, he was teaching you how to make chocolate brownies.”

“Oh? I don’t even remember that.”

“It’s a good thing, too,” Mrs. Parker said ominously. “You were squirting Worcestershire sauce into a bowl while he poured in the Sea Salt when I came into the kitchen. There was also cocoa powder, two egg shells, maple syrup, marshmallows, and cumin powder sitting on the counter, and a huge pile of flour on the ground around the step ladder.”

Liz scrunched her face. “That’s disgusting.”

“Naturally, I sent you out of my kitchen on the condition that you weren’t to return for the rest of the day,” her Mom said with a tiny shrug.

“And then we started looking for moles.”

Mrs. Parker frowned as she tossed a pinch of salt into the soup pan. “I thought you were hunting for gold?”

“Nope,” Liz said intently, remembering the mounds Michael made her form with her hands and his elaborate story about moles waking up early in the morning. Foolishly, she’d believed him and gone outside the next morning with the hopes to catch one only to find the scattered citizens of his ant farm under the mounds of dirt. “That’s just what we said.”

Her Dad’s parents were the ones who lived in Phoenix and when they arrived, he had proudly called over his little, tomboy daughter to greet them.

They say first impressions are lasting ones. One of Liz’s favorite pictures was of Tess, Michael, Alex, Maria and herself crowded around the cake and blowing out the candles together on that fateful birthday. So when she was face to face with her grandparents, she was wearing her brother’s Goofy t-shirt, and her hair was a frizzy halo just barely kept out of her face by a shiny blue headband. She remembered that her shoelaces were untied, she had mud stains on her knees and arms, and she was smacking bubble gum between her baby teeth. So, she may or may not have shocked them.

The astounding quiet lasted a minute too long. Her grandfather did his magic trick and pulled a coin out of her ear. Then she tugged on her t-shirt awkwardly and thanked them for coming all the way from Pheensylania.

This grandmother had extended a huge pink present towards Liz. The box had so many sheer and sparkly bows and ribbons around it that Liz eyed it with suspicion. The most unappealing part might have been that the design on the wrapping paper had large red polka dots on it. Combined with the pink backdrop it made Liz wonder if that’s what a sunburned kid with chicken pox looked like.

And Liz, who at the time, had no filter when it came to her thoughts yet, blurted out, “Did it get sunburned?”

All of the adults flashed concerned looks before her grandmother loftily repeated, “Sunburned? No, that’s the design of the wrapping paper. Isn’t it pretty, Elizabeth?”

Liz had hesitated then a frown marred her face and she demanded, “Then why does it have red pickles on it like when Tess and I had the chicken socks?”

Her grandmother’s eyes had widened but she recovered smoothly. “It’s polka dots dear. I dressed it up for your birthday, especially for you.”

“Oh,” Liz said mostly because she knew they were still staring at her. She had looked square in her grandmother’s eyes, and said, “Thanks, but I don’t like pink.”

And then she’d skipped off, forgetting about the present until much later.

The memory came back to Liz almost yearly and she always felt guilty when she relived it.

She looked back at the blue envelope that encased her annual birthday card from her grandmother, and could feel her fingers itching to open it. She was barely aware of her Mom sliding her apple slices away to add them to the soup.

“Are you going to open it now?” Mrs. Parker asked gently.

“I’ll wait until later.” She reached pulled up her backpack and tucked the envelope inside.

“Hey, squirt,” Michael boomed, flinging the kitchen door wide open and strolling into the room with a huge smile on his face. At Liz’s speechless face, he reached over and tousled her bun.

“What happened? Did you fall down a pipe again?”

Liz rolled her eyes and smacked his hand away. “You know where I was, Michael,” she said in irritation. He’d been driving her home from swim practice through most of her high school years right up until he graduated. He was her elder brother by nineteen months, and as far back as she could remember, every little thing had been a competition between them.

She was annoyed that he thought he could just strut back in here after not calling for two months - well that wasn’t completely true. He’d called the house a lot, but he never called her or asked to talk to her. It hurt, but she was a Parker, and more importantly, she was his sister. Showing him she was hurt was not an option.

“Right. You snuck off to the Lake again, didn’t you?” Michael teased.

The lake was in Stokstad Park, and it was a really beautiful, well-kept park. It was also over an hour away so usually, people went with their families for the weekend, or teenagers went to have a good time in the summer. As it was neither, Liz knew Michael was trying to ruffle her so she tiled her head up and rolled her shoulders back so she could look him square in the eye. Sometimes it really wasn’t fair that he was so much taller than her.

“I haven’t been since you put a snake in my sleeping bag, pushed me in, and stole the toilet paper,” Liz retorted.

“It was a garden snake,” he vouched.

“It was a snake,” she snapped.

“It was green, and fuzzy,” he folded his arms across his chest and grinned at her.

“It slithered and slid across my skin. And you made me use a bunch of leaves in the woods.”

“That’s what they’re there for,” Michael volleyed back.

“Oh, my. Here I was thinking that was all buried in the past,” their mother murmured as she regarded them facing each other down.

Just when Liz was opening her mouth to retaliate, she pulled Michael into her arms for a quick, maternal hug. Over his shoulder, she mouthed, “Let it go,” to Liz.

Michael pecked his Mom’s cheek and took a peek at what was on the menu for dinner over her shoulder. They separated and she smoothed her hand over Liz’s hair as she walked by her pouting daughter.

Then Mrs. Parker popped into the downstairs bathroom adjacent to the kitchen and returned with a towel that she tossed to her daughter.

“I wish you’d called,” she scolded Michael lightly, though she was happy to see her son no matter what time or day it was. “I’d have asked your Dad to make some roasted stuffed peppers for you.”

On cue, Michael’s stomach growled and they laughed together. “At this point, I’m so hungry, anything that’s not cafeteria food or coffee will do. And since it’s your famous butternut squash soup with eggplant Parmesan, and…” Michael glanced at the bowl of strawberries and continued with an even bigger smile, “And strawberry short cake for desert, I’ll definitely eat well tonight.”

Mrs. Parker chuckled. “Well, there’s also iced tea and your favorite, Sunny-D, in there somewhere.”

“Awesome,” Michael said, already en route to the fridge.

“So, how are your final days of the semester going?” their Mom asked.

Michael sported a confident smile. “It’s nice,” he replied. “And I only have two exams and three papers to write, and both of my exams are at the beginning of the next week.”

Mrs. Parker nodded. “That’s great, Michael. You’re doing so well there, and we’re really proud.” Her eyes were getting a bit misty so she scooped up the onion skins and held them for a few seconds. Sometimes it was still hard for her to believe he was already in his second year of college at SC. Also Liz’s eighteenth birthday was coming up on Sunday, so she was feeling very sentimental these days.

“Thanks. I was thinking of coming home and writing the rest of my papers here once I’m through.”

“We’d love to have you,” Mrs. Parker beamed while Liz smacked her forehead into the cradle of her palms, trying to resist groaning aloud.

Big brother being home meant him crowding their shower, unscrewing a light bulb and leaving toothpaste on the toilet, or uncapping her lipstick and makeup so it’d get steamed during one of his ridiculously long, hot, pipe-hogging showers.

Her mother and brother were still chatting about his adventures at college so she willfully tuned them out. She missed the concerned look he threw her way when he saw her hunched over the table.

Liz paused for a second and re-considered the last annoying thing she loved to take him to task on. She smirked as she realized that the only girl wearing lipstick and painting on makeup everyday in their bathroom was Tess.

Wouldn’t it serve her right if the night of a date with Kyle she discovered that all of her lipsticks were waxy and gooey.

Guilt instantly crunched Liz’s heart as she thought that and she sighed like the weight of the world was on her shoulders. She loved her little sister a lot. As much as they got on each other’s nerves sometimes and argued, they always bounced back like it was nothing.

In fact all of the Parker siblings got along well. She couldn’t remember a fight between her and Michael ever lasting longer than two days and she and Tess usually made up without any apologies crossing their lips.

Tess was an inch shorter than her and her eyes were a similar shade of brown, but that was about all that they had in common. Liz’s long brown hair was naturally wavy, and she always pulled it up out of her face because it always felt like it got in the way. Her body was slender and toned from her years as a swimmer and athlete. Before she started cheerleading, the most athletic thing Tess had ever done outside of physical education class was blister her hands on her guitar.

And Tess was also strikingly beautiful with her huge brown eyes and curly, thick blonde hair. Liz heard it cross her parents’ lips that she was pretty and beautiful, too, but she’d never heard it from anyone else. Tess heard it all of the time, from aunts and cousins, from other kids at school, and even strangers. More than once when they’d been at the mall together with Maria, a modeling scout had approached them and been drawn to Tess, begging her to stop by their studio for a few frames.

Even though Liz knew all of this and she was half-heartedly considering that Tess might even be Kyle’s type, it still bothered her. As much as she loved her sister and wanted her to be happy, Liz was still hurt because she had wanted Kyle first.

The only people who knew about her crush on Kyle were Maria and Alex, but it felt like the cruelest torture to have seen her little sister in Kyle’s arms.

If only she and Tess shared a sisterly telepathy so that Tess could have known that she’d been about to make her move, Liz thought sadly.

She slumped further down in her chair, feeling even more upset. Things with Kyle could have happened with her. Now it was her little sister who was in his arms.
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me Tonight (AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 2 8/18

Post by DreamerLaure »

Alysluv Thanks! I like them too especially while I'm writing and at the beach.
Liz is upset about everything going on in her life right now but yet she doesnt want to ruin her sisters happiness with Kyle; which is so Lizish.
True, she's feeling so torn.

sarammlover Thanks! Exactly and she's not getting what she wants, which always makes me feel low lol
I hope Liz gets a man soon!
This made me laugh for a little while :) Thanks!

keepsmiling7 Yeah :( At least not for now. Thanks!

Janetfl Yeah, she is having a bad day. Nothing's worse than losing something you want very badly. Thanks!

destinyc Yeah, definitely later...Thanks! :)

spacegirl23 Thanks! :)
Michael has made an appearance! *doing happy dance* I love him already!
Lol, I have to admit, I've loved writing Michael in this story. You'll see much more of him.

begonia9508 She should have, but Liz didn't want to analyze it at that second and her Mom just told her how proud she is and she doesn't want to lose that feeling.
Thanks! She definitely needs someone to tell her loud and clear lol. Thought on who? ;)

And of course, Hannah. If only I could give you chocolate for what you do! haha

Chapter 3
The smack of a cup against the table jolted her out of her dark cloud and she saw a cool glass of iced tea set in front of her. Michael lowered himself into the chair across from her, and raised his glass of Sunny D towards her. Liz lifted hers before taking a huge gulp.

“So when’s your first meet, Liz?” Michael asked.

Her face glowed as soon as he mentioned swimming and she smiled over the rim of her glass. “Next Tuesday afternoon.”

“Against?”

“Stanton Prep,” Liz said, an air of confidence in her voice, and Michael grinned.

“They have no idea what’s going to hit them, huh?”

“Not by a long shot. They also just lost three of their best seniors, and we have four new girls that swim really well.” She took a few more sips of her iced tea.

“Any plans for the big 18th yet?” he asked casually.

Liz shook her head back and forth. “Not really, just the same as always. Midnight cake crowded with candles, breakfast and lunch here, then maybe dinner and movies with Maria and Alex,” she said, ticking off each item with her fingers. “Somewhere in between all of that, I’ll open all of my presents.”

“Er, presents, right.”

Liz flicked a suspicious glance his way. “You did get me a present, right?”

Michael leaned back and downed the last of his juice. “Like I would forget again. The last time you almost pushed me down the stairs.”

She rolled her eyes. “It was my thirteenth birthday, Michael. A girl’s allowed to have her day. You ruined mine.”

“Was it your thirteenth?”

She nodded, and gently rested her cheek on one of her hands.

“Still, you scared the crap out of me.”

“Michael,” their Mom scolded from across the kitchen.

He sighed and repeated, “Still, you scared me more than I expected.”

The phone rang then and their Mom picked up. Right away, the tenor of her voice changed and she was speaking softer and laughing heartily.

Both Michael and Liz exchanged a knowing glance. It was always strange to see their Mom transform like she did when she was on the phone with their Dad. Liz felt like she’d been aware of it for so long, maybe always, and it made her feel safe each time. When divorces rippled through Roswell, disrupting many of her classmates’ families, she’d been secure in the knowledge that her parents loved each other very much.

Michael leaned forward when their Mom wandered out of the kitchen, floating on a cloud. A lock of his shaggy dark brown hair fell over his forehead as he did so, and he asked in an intimidating brotherly tone, “Any guy trouble?”

Liz’s mouth went dry. His brotherly spider sense was too damn good sometimes. He always seemed to ask this question when she was thinking of Kyle. She had to wonder if it was written all over her face.

“Nope,” Fat chance I’d tell you if I were, she added silently.

She held her breath for two seconds as Michael continued to study her intently, and as soon as he looked away, she relaxed a little.

She loved her brother dearly, but he was way too protective of her and Tess. One would think that since he graduated from West Roswell High two years before and was now attending SC, she could have confided in him. The reality was their neighborhood was close-knit, and everyone in West Roswell was either related to someone you already knew or at the very least friends with someone else who was related to the person beside you.

Michael stood up and jammed one of his hands into his pocket. He stared down at her and asked, “Then what’s wrong?”

She hid her face behind the cradle of her palms and muttered, “Nothing, I’m fine. It’s just been a really long day.”

Liz rustled up a yawn and she stretched her mouth open wide and shut her eyes. When she opened them, Michael was jangling car keys in front of her face.

“Too tired for ice cream?”

She cocked her head and frowned. “I thought we were having dinner soon.”

“Oh, well, Tess doesn’t get out of practice until 6, so we have plenty of time.”

“Actually, she’s been coming home a little earlier than usual,” Liz said.

Michael frowned. “Really? I thought she loved doing extra practice time with her team?”

A car horn Liz was quickly becoming familiar with for all the wrong reasons sounded six times outside, neatly cutting off her explanation and all she could do was shrug casually.

“What the hell was that?” Michael asked, annoyed.

Liz counted down silently from five in her head and she didn’t have to wait long.

The door burst open and Tess ran into the house at full speed and whacked into Michael.

“Ow!” Tess groaned, sliding her manicured nails up to her forehead where she’d whacked into his chest.

Michael sighed, “Geez, you could take anyone out, huh?”

“Hey, I’m sorry,” Tess said soothingly as she threw her arms around him. “I didn’t see you there, and I wasn’t even expecting you until tomor-”

Michael quickly covered her words with his own, “I know, I know, but still you got to watch where you’re going. You’re kind of home early, squirt, isn’t she, Liz?”

He thought he’d covered well, but less than a second after he closed his mouth, Liz piped up with, “I thought you were just stopping by for a break from college food.”

“Oh, well he wanted to borrow a couple of my CD’s to woo his ladies,” Tess said as she wiggled out of Michael’s grasp and flung her cheer bag on the floor.

“Yeah, which CD is doing the trick these days?” Liz asked teasingly, arching her eyebrows suggestively.

Michael’s eyebrow shot up too and he gave Liz a chilly look. She rolled her eyes. “Oh cool it, Michael. I just want to know what to watch out for if I go out on a study date with a rare treasure like the hot nerd next year only to discover he’s a player.”

He continued to scowl and folded his arms under his chest.

“For example, if I hear some Coldplay, he’s probably the brooding, writerly type…”

Liz flicked her wrist towards her sister, and Tess piped in, “Then he just wants to study her because she’d add a nice touch to the heroine of his first bestseller.”

“If I hear the rich sound of Bob Marley…”

“He’ll get more relaxed. It might even result in…”

Michael’s face paled and he hissed, “Don’t even think about finishing that!”

Liz and Tess gave Michael skeptical glances.

“And if I hear the thumping beat of Justin Timberlake…”

“Then he just wants to have a part-ay with a guest list of two in his pants,” Tess said bluntly, and Michael felt his blood rush to his head and white-hot panic travel his veins like an express train.

“W-w-what?” he spluttered. He was aware that every ounce of his panic was present on his face, but he didn’t care.

What was the world coming to if his fifteen-year-old sister was saying things like that?

Michael wheezed, “Who told you that?”

“Maria.” Tess said blithely, tossing her wrist out to the side, like it should have been obvious.

“DeLuca?” Michael growled. “I knew it!”

“Huh?” Liz huffed. “What do you mean, Michael?”

He ignored her. “She’s always…she’s got –” he saw the amusement dancing in Liz’s eyes so he raked his hand through his hair and said impatiently, “Well, you are going to wear earplugs and some of those uh, horse blinders every time you see her.”

“What?” Tess said incredulously.

Liz’s hand, which was clasped over her mouth, didn’t stop a giggle from escaping her flushed face. Michael threw a haughty glare her way. “What makes you think I don’t mean you, too?”

“Whatever. At ease, soldier,” Liz said, reaching up to tap the brim of his baseball cap.

“Yes, let’s talk about something else,” Tess said loudly as she flounced out of her chair. “Because I have an announcement to make.”

She spun around on her heels and when she was standing still again, she sighed breathlessly, “I am going to Winter Formal!”

Michael nodded knowingly, “Cool, Tess. How’d you swing that one?”

Her smile was a mile wide. “Someone asked me to it.”

“Someone?” Michael echoed. He studied her with a raised eyebrow.

Their Mom re-entered the kitchen to replace the cordless, and she asked, “What’s going on?”

She kissed Tess’ cheek on her way to the stove to check on the soup.

Tess followed her and said, “My boyfriend asked me to Winter Formal. Can I go, Mom, please, please!”

Mrs. Parker laughed. “Sure, of course.” Tess threw her arms around her and they hugged each other tightly with their cheeks pressed together. Tess was giggling and bouncing up and down like she was doing a hopscotch drill. Their Mom may have had a soup ladle dangling from her free hand, but her smile was just as excited. At that moment, the similarities between their mother and her youngest read loud and clear. It was easy to see where Tess had inherited her bone structure, hair, height, and energy.

They pulled apart, and Mrs. Parker squeezed her daughter’s hand excitedly. “So when is your Winter Formal?”

“Two Wednesdays from now on the last night before vacation.”

“And have you thought about your dress yet?”

“I want to wear dark blue,” she said emphatically.

“What style?”

“A line. And I want a full skirt with off the shoulder sleeves.”

“Do you have shoes to match that color?” Mrs. Parker asked, her face scrunched in earnest as she tried to catalogue her daughter’s closet.

“Nope, I was thinking of borrowing Liz’s strappy midnight blue sandals.”

“It’s a little cold for sandals,” Liz muttered quietly.

Michael, who’d been absently listening to Tess and his Mom, was bothered by the dark, sad look that crossed Liz’s face.

“Liz, is that okay?” Tess asked loudly as their Mom was starting to wheel Tess out of the kitchen.

“That’s fine.” She replied. “I’m not going.”

“You’re not going?” Mrs. Parker asked, stopping at the doorway of the kitchen to survey her other daughter that was sulking at the table.

“Not really my scene,” Liz said tiredly.

Mrs. Parker waited, hoping Liz would expand, but all she got was more silence. She frowned and turned towards Tess’ bright, excited face. “Oh, okay. Well, Dad said he’s not coming home until seven so we’ll eat then. Would you mind turning off the stove in two minutes? We’re going upstairs to sketch her dress.”

“Sure thing, Mom,” Michael replied. He slid down in the seat opposite Liz, again just as she bent her head and closed her eyes.

“Do you know who she’s going to Winter Formal with?” Michael asked.

“Oh, her boyfriend, probably.”

“Yes, we’ve established that,” Michael said impatiently. “When did this happen? And why didn’t I know about this?”

She adjusted the angle of her head. “Technically 72 hours ago,” Liz murmured into the sleeve of her sweater. “But they’ve been going out longer than that…”

The night before Liz had ran into what she thought was a stroke of luck. When she came back upstairs, Tess was off the phone and in the shower. But, despite all of her best efforts to pretend she was sleeping, Tess had sauntered into their room, flicked on the lights in their shared room and collapsed on her bed squealing.

Liz had reluctantly pulled herself up to sitting and stared. “What’s going on?” she asked.

Tess hugged her pillow to her chest. “Kyle asked me to be his girlfriend.”

Liz gripped her other wrist under the comforter so her sister couldn’t see she was trembling. “Oh, wow. That’s great, Tess.”

“I mean when he asked me out last month, I just thought we’d only go out once or twice. Now he wants to make it official.”

“Last month,” Liz had echoed dumbly, her mind reeling.

“Yeah, can you believe it’s been so long? Tonight was our sixth date.”

And all Liz could do was nod and mumble something encouraging with a smile on her face.

“Who is this guy?” Michael said impatiently when Liz didn’t divulge anything else.

“It’s Kyle Evans.”

“The baseball player?”

“I believe the term is pitcher,” Liz said bitingly.

He scowled at Liz even though she couldn’t see him. “He’s got quite an arm, right? I remember that game last spring when he had those Stanton guys practically eating out of the palm of his hand.”

A silence stewed for a few seconds and then Michael suddenly slapped his hands on the table.

“Wait a minute, isn’t he on the Varsity team?”

“Yeah…” she said quietly. She adjusted her head a bit more and then breathed in the downy scent of her sweater. It’d only be a few seconds before Michael undoubtedly blew his top.

“How the hell did he make Varsity in two years? The kid must be a legend, right?”

She shook her head, and muttered something else. Unfortunately for Michael it was muffled by her sweater, but he did see her head shake from side to side.

Michael hesitated as a memory of a game so incredible from four years ago re-surfaced in his mind. “He’s not the same Evans who served up like a dozen curve balls at Dad and Mom’s reunion game, right?”

To his disappointment, Liz’s head bobbed back and forth.

“So he’s a senior, too?”

She sat up finally and sighed, “Yep.”

Michael muttered, “Why the hell isn’t he dating a senior then?” He stood and stalked across the kitchen to the stove and flicked it off. “Why is he dating my kid sister?”

“Maybe because she likes him, he likes her, and he asked her out? Isn’t that how it usually works?” When that answer only got more scowling from him, she scoffed, “Oh, relax, Michael. He’s a good guy.”

“Oh, really?” he snorted.

“Yeah, he’s a really good guy. She couldn’t have chosen better because he’s one of the best in fact. And Tess is like almost sixteen, and he’s not turning eighteen until the spring, so it’s really not a big deal,” Liz ranted. “It doesn’t matter if he’s older than her…” she trailed off when Michael’s face remained impassive.

She looked away in irritation when Michael won the silent staring match they had.

Then he said, “Let’s go get ice cream.”

“It’s cold out,” she pouted.

He shrugged, “I know Suzie Scoops always has heating. We’ll eat it there.”

Her eyes lit up for a second before she shook her head from side to side. “We can’t. Mom’s going to be mad if we come to dinner not hungry…”

It was the first time since October that everyone would be at the dinner table together. Despite her protests, Michael was already scrawling a missive on the notepad. He recapped the pen, grabbed his keys and strode to the door.

“Look, I’m starving, and you’re probably starving from tearing through laps in the pool. I’ll definitely be hungry later and I know that you are always hungry,” he pointed out.

His feet were already outside the door when he said, “Come on, Liz,” and for that split second she had a choice. When it came to Michael though, her answers to his calls for adventure were always yes.

For four years during high school, Michael had worked a steady ten hours at the mechanical shop over on Doughty Street on weekends. Then after graduation, when money arrived in envelopes from cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and family friends, Michael had pooled everything together and splurged on a used black Volvo, a car he loved so much he’d even named her Hallie.

As they neared the car, Liz said, “You washed it recently?”

“Of course,” Michael retorted as he flipped open his cell phone.

“You might not have needed to,” she commented dryly, her face tilted up to the sky.

He looked up also and frowned at the rain clouds above.

“Maybe we can make it back before it gets started.”

She yanked her wallet out of her pocket and rifled through it. Then she waved a tiny card in front of Michael’s face.

“Fresh off the press!” she exclaimed.

Michael chuckled. Just this summer, he’d been giving Liz driving lessons on one of the family cars a couple of times a week, and she’d been terrified she might fail. He told her he knew she’d pass the first time around and as soon she passed, he would give her five dollars for gas and the keys to his Volvo so she could show him what she’d learned.

So he handed her his keys and a fiver, and walked around to the passenger’s side of his car. Once they were both inside the car and strapped in, Michael said, “OK, Hallie meet Lizzie. She’ll be driving you for a little while today.”

Liz giggled and inserted the key. The purr of his engine is the most satisfying sound ever, she thought giddily, before she shoved the gears into drive and gently nudged the accelerator with her foot.
Last edited by DreamerLaure on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me Tonight (AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 3 8/23

Post by DreamerLaure »

Thanks everyone!

Kismet He sure is! ;)
begonia9508 Yep, Tess has no idea how her words are affecting Liz. Michael sure is there for her, huh?
POM Thank you! Lol, I agree, that's the way she seems now. She may surprise you later.
spacegirl23 I love them as siblings too! It is so much fun I usually have a huge smile while I'm writing those scenes. There will definitely be more of Michael and Maria later, some of it good, some of it...shall I just say, spicy. Image Haha, yay for you and Liz!
keepsmiling7 She sure was. Heck, I was when I was a sophomore and got asked to a sort-of prom. :)
Alysluv I'll release a few delicious details about your second and third: he is older than him and he's the gorgeous boy who she'll fall in love with and who we all want. Ha, is that enough?
sarammlover I'm glad you are! He's pretty lovable. Thanks!
Janetfl
is nothing ever going to go right for her?
Yes, someone will: MAX hehe.
destinyc Smacking Tess? That image made me chuckle. She's not all that bad, guys. She's just...fifteen and unknowingly dating the same guy her sister's liked forever.
mary mary Thanks! Hope you're feeling better!

Chapter 4
“I’d like a coffee crumble waffle cone with hot fudge,” Liz told the cashier as she rose and straightened her back. She’d been hunched over the ice cream freezer for the past five minutes trying to decide on what she wanted.

Suzie Scoops, a local ice cream shop in Roswell, was popular for its homemade ice cream and toppings. Best of all, all of the bells and whistles Liz liked to get with her cones never emptied her wallet.

From behind her, Michael snorted, “That’s the best you can do?”

She wheeled around and glared. “With a scoop of mint chocolate chip and your raspberry sauce on top,” she added, loudly.

The corner of his mouth tilted slightly, and she beamed back at him. “I’d say anything is a step up from your chocolate heart attack cones.”

Michael took his first biting crunch. “It’s the champion of ice creams,” he mumbled around a mouthful of his chocolate dipped cone.

She started walking towards the register and he trailed behind her. “At least mine says I’m adventurous.”

“But mine reveals so much more about me,” Michael said.

As Liz handed over a ten-dollar bill, she glanced at him. “Yeah?” she challenged.

“It says I’m a chocoholic,” he informed her, raising his cone to his mouth yet again and nudging his chin with a bit of hazelnut sauce along the way.

Liz shook her head as he swiped his chin with his sleeve.

“You’re kind of a mess, right now,” she said as she took her cone from the cashier.

He sat down at the nearest table and pushed a chair out for her with his knee.

When she scrunched her face in mock surprise, Michael scoffed, “Don’t let anyone tell you modern chivalry is dead.”

Liz carefully lowered herself into her chair while balancing her cone and her wallet in one hand. Her hasty order that was meant to prickle Michael was definitely more than she could handle. The toppings brought the height of her ice cream up to ridiculous proportions.

When she looked up, Michael was grinning devilishly. “You’re going to be a mess too if you can finish that.”

Not willing to give in easily, she retorted, “Are you saying I can’t handle this cone?”

He nodded and took another bite of his own. “That’s exactly what I’m saying. You’ve definitely ordered more than you can finish…”

When she glared at him, he quickly added, “Gracefully and neatly without a drop in sight. Actually, I bet you can’t finish that without spilling any.”

Liz jut forth her palm and tilted her chin. “You’re on,” she said as they shook hands.

“What are we betting on?” he asked a few seconds later.

Liz was in the midst of swiping a free sliding morsel with her tongue and she raised an eyebrow at him when he chuckled.

“Telling Dad what you really did on Spring Break last year,” she informed him lightly.

Michael paled. “You can’t, Liz,” he growled. He had barely gotten away with it in the first place. His parents had reluctantly consented to the senior spring trip he wanted to go on with his friends.

The plan was to stay in a hotel in Orlando for ten days, and his parents had agreed because he would be paying for it out of his own pocket. The truth was that he and his buddies were flying up to Montreal where the drinking age was eighteen and there were supposed to be gorgeous French girls. French girls there were not, but an awesome city barlife had awaited them. He had narrowly missed answering calls from his parents on his cell phone and then he had had to field suspicious questions about the hotel they were supposedly in.

He’d come home on the scheduled day and fallen into bed, eager to sleep off his first plane-hangover.

The next morning, Liz had stuck his confirmation ticket to the mirror in the bathroom, with “I know,” scribbled on it. Apparently she had went on his computer to borrow his printer while he was gone and the plane ticket confirmation which had refused to print two weeks earlier finally came out of the feed.

“You won’t,” he ground out.

When she only shrugged, he snapped, “Fine, then I’ll tell Mom that you visited the Whatever Tatoo and Piercing parlor in Albuquerque this summer and got something done for sixty five bucks.”

Liz’s hands shook and she nervously sucked in a breath. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“I found your receipt in your wallet.”

She gripped her cone tighter. “Let’s forget this whole bet thing,” she said with a tiny cough.

Michael nodded knowingly. As soon as she started to relax, he opened his mouth again. “What I can’t figure out yet is what you got done. It’s still a mystery.”

Her face began to flush and she hissed, “Can we talk about something else?”

Michael rested his elbow on the table and let his thoughts stew. “Well, it can’t have been a piercing because you swim like every day, and it wouldn’t be able to heal properly. And I know, after Tess’ whole thing last year, you wouldn’t dare. Mom hates stuff like that.”

When Liz continued eating her ice cream and refused to meet his eyes, he continued. “So it has to be a tattoo, which she probably won’t be too crazy about either.”

He took the last bite of his ice cream and brushed his napkin over his mouth. “I can’t tell you what an awesomely bad idea that was.”

Liz took her first bite of the coffee crumble scoop and swallowed. “These lips are sealed,” she muttered when Michael continued to glower at her.

Her phone vibrated on her hip and she handed her cone to Michael as she squeezed her other hand into her jeans pocket. When she freed her cell phone, she flipped it open and read her newest text message.

“We have to stop by Maria’s on our way back. She finally found my jeans.”

Michael crossed his arms under his chest and frowned. “I give you a chance to drive my car and you’re choosing to spend the precious gas allotment you have to race over to her house for a pair of ratty old jeans?”

“They’re not ratty,” she said impatiently. “They’re well worn in and very special. You don’t know how wonderful it is when a pair of jeans fit like a dream.”

“Do we have to go now? Doesn’t she have to eat dinner?”

Liz shrugged as she crunched more of the cold ice cream between her teeth. “This is important. It’s been lost in her room for months. If anything survives and is found again in her room, it’s a miracle. I can’t let this chance go by. So, tell me, are all the things I hear about college life true?” she asked.

Michael’s forehead relaxed and he began talking about his dorm life and weekend episodes in more detail than he usually spared their parents.

Without willing it, her thoughts began to drift back to Maria. She loved her best friend dearly, and one of the things that came along with Maria DeLuca’s bubbly personality and friendly sarcasm was her room.

Liz would never forget the first play date she ever had at Maria’s house. The two girls had met on the first day of kindergarten, brought together by a shared turn on the merry-go-round. After coming over to Liz’s house a few times, Maria invited her over.

Liz’s Mom had barely cut the engine curbside when the door flung open and Maria raced to the car with Ms. DeLuca following her at a normal pace. Within moments, her Mom was laughing and accepting a sample from Ms. DeLuca, and Maria was tugging Liz towards the house, chattering a mile a minute about the agenda for the day – hula hooping, walking the red carpet, doing the other’s hair, and watching Aladdin.

From the moment she was inside, all Liz could see were bright colors – the walls were painted different shades of orange and red that melted into each other and over every doorway, there were cascading beads you had to shimmy through before you entered the next room.

Maria’s bedroom had been a child’s dream and over the years, it had transformed into a teenager’s haven. Liz was astonished to learn Maria had her very own bedroom. She’d been sharing one with Tess as far back as she could remember, while being slightly jealous that Michael was a boy and by default, had his own room. As promised, Maria had her very own red carpet, four sparkly hula hoops, and a dress up chest full of costume dresses, brightly colored stockings, feather boas, and oversized sunglasses. Over the years, Liz and Maria had prepped for every Halloween and dress up day at camp in her room. Glitter pots, hairspray, and her jewelry were always flung about on the top of her dresser, and clothes, shoes, books and knick knacks seemed to stay wherever they landed.

So Maria locating a lonesome pair of jeans was lucky indeed. She thumbed in a reply to Maria and resumed eating her cone. She was beginning to regret asking Michael what college was like because each time he paused, he launched into another funny “I mean, you just had to be there,” story.

Another silence followed one of his stories and he chuckled, “I’m boring you, huh?”

Liz shook her head and said loyally, “Nope, it sounds cool. Much better than high school.”

He shook his head. “Well, senior year of high school was just awesome.”

When Liz grinned at him, he asked casually, “So you’re skipping winter formal, huh?”

She handily bit into her cone and bobbed her head up and down.

“You know, that one was actually a lot of fun.”

Liz quickly took another bite before she had even swallowed the first and she puffed out her cheeks.

Michael continued, lost in a memory. “Alicia Goldberg,” he murmured.

“I was scared shitless to ask her out because she’d just broken up with a guy on the wrestling team that had a good twenty pounds and three inches on me. I did it anyway, told myself that I had nothing to lose and left the rest up to chance. I went up to her after Spanish, and asked her if she wanted to go with me.”

She shoved more into her mouth and chewed as slowly as she could.

“And she said yes. Whatever I said,” he chuckled, “I can tell you it was not my suavest moment. I’m usually much smoother than blurting out an invitation.”

His eyes found Liz’s again and he told her, “But going to Winter Formal was one of those things that made my senior year awesome. And there were plenty of people who didn’t go with dates to that or to prom.”

Michael grabbed her other free hand and said, “My point is, I don’t want to see you missing out on stuff because you don’t have someone to go with.”

Liz swallowed and said, “Right, I know that.”

“And I don’t want to see you missing out on every single school dance because of some preconceived misconception that it will be lame. Part of what’s fun about going is that you know it’ll be lame and you’ll just go to have that experience.”

One of her eyebrows rose lazily. “Favorite SAT words?”

“Among many…” he admitted, his brown eyes twinkling.

A loud bolt of thunder crackled in the sky and Liz and Michael broke eye contact to survey the sky outside the window. Small raindrops were already scattered across the window as a prelude to what was coming.

“We should get going,” he said.

“It looks like it’s just drizzling,” she pointed out as she stood and threw out their napkins.

More thunder rumbled above and he got up also, a scowl settling over his features. “That definitely does not sound like the light rain they forecasted.”

Liz popped the last bit of her cone into her mouth and pushed her phone back into her pocket. “They always get it wrong.”

She pulled her hood over her head and jogged outside to the car. Michael had followed her right to the driver’s seat so she turned to face him and said, “Oh, no, it’s my turn with Hallie. I can get us home before it gets worse.”

He hesitated for a second then looked into her huge brown eyes, and saw what he always saw shining there: determination.

“Okay, fine,” he said. He went to the passenger’s side of the car and yanked the door open.

Once they were settled inside, Liz maneuvered out of the spot with ease and smoothly made a left turn onto the main road in the direction of Maria’s house. Their house was a little further past Maria’s so her plan was to stop by her place first and then head home.

Maybe it was his imagination or his brotherly instinct, but it seemed as if the rain’s pace had doubled since they left Suzie Scoops from a hardly noticeable drizzle to a steady rainfall.

By the second stoplight, the rain had picked up even more, pounding all sides of the car, so Liz had to turn the wipers on, and Michael nervously fiddled with the radio until a familiar Beatles song filled the car.

She bit her lip and nervously adjusted her position in the driver’s seat so that she could see a little more clearly. But every time the wipers cleared some of it, the rain came tumbling down in a fresh burst and she had to wait.

She kept counting down the blocks in her head in an effort to relax. It wasn’t working, she realized as she breathed in another shallow breath that abandoned her body within seconds.

“Michael, talk to me,” Liz said, her voice tense.

He instantly sensed that it didn’t matter what he told her, as long as he told her something, she’d feel better.

“Remember when Mom was pregnant with Tess?”

She shook her head from side to side and gripped the steering wheels tighter. “Not really,” she mumbled.

“Whenever she held you, you used to pat her stomach like it was a door.”

“Knock knock?” Liz offered.

“Yep, Dad just taught us knock knock jokes, and Mom used to pretend she was the baby and would answer back.”

Liz giggled, “That sounds familiar.”

The muscles in her face tightened as the rain pelted the car in a sudden burst.

Michael continued, his voice more determined. “Mom was with us when she went into labor at home. It was just you, me and Grandma Parker, so Grandma had to call the ambulance and then drive the both of us over to the hospital.

“Halfway there, you went out like a light because it was really early in the morning. I stayed up and got to color in the waiting room. We must have been there for a long time because I made it through half of The Lion King coloring book. Grandma was just finishing the baby blanket when Dad came in and said, ‘Her name’s Tess Caroline Parker, she’s 7 lbs. and a blonde just like her Mom.’”

By the end of the story, Liz was beaming. She teased, “I’ve definitely heard the last part before.”

He grinned cheekily, “Well, I was only three and a half. I’m allowed to embellish what I don’t remember.”

The light turned green and her girlish giggle mingled with his throaty laugh. As she inched her way across the intersection, the devastatingly loud sound of a car horn blaring grabbed hold of hers and Michael’s attentions.

She turned her face in the direction of the sound, and her eyes widened in shock at the two cars that were charging towards them.

And she froze, her blood turning to ice.

Michael shouted, “Liz, quick back up. We have to get out of the way!”

“Oh my God,” she whimpered. Tears slipped down her cheeks as the cars skidded into the intersection without slowing down.

She felt the first crunch everywhere – in her head, her arms, her chest, her legs, and her body fell forward like a limp Raggedy Ann doll onto the airbag that appeared. A softer thump reverberated through the car and hummed in her body.

She sucked in a gulp of oxygen, but it wasn’t enough. Her chest was grasping for more and she couldn’t give it anything.

Liz blinked twice, very slowly. The first time, her vision swam with the slick sheets of rain screaming down the window shield and the sharp ache that had her body in a viselike grip. When Liz closed her eyes the second time, she didn’t open them again.
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me Tonight (AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 4 8/29

Post by DreamerLaure »

I’m so sorry I left it there! How evil of me, huh? lol Well the accident was a part of the challenge so it kind of had to be done. :? Let's see what happened afterwards...

These next chapters were in my original outline as 3 sentences for a really, really long Chapter 5. I think it's better if I post it as 3 separate chapters though :)

destinyc
nibbles
abbs07
Mary mary
spacegirl23
POM
Janetfl
Begonia9508
keepsmiling7
and Hannah

Chapter 5
Someone was saying, “Vitals are stable,” as they wheeled her in. She could feel the rocky motion of the wheels under her body, pushing her forward.

Hands pulled a blanket down and she felt the cool flutter of fingers against her arm.

“Let’s schedule an x-ray and a complete set of labs, Jane,” the same voice said with concern. “And please page Dr. Hand now.”

Her eyes lifted a fraction of an inch then slid closed again. It was too bright, and there were too many lights.

And she wanted them to know she was okay. That she could hear them, even now as they were reciting what had happened.

“Seventeen year old girl hit head on in a three-car pileup. She wasn’t alert oriented on site. Appears that she broke her left arm and...”

Wait a minute, she wanted to say; she was alert and oriented just fine. She knew her name…Liz Parker, as sure as she knew today was…Today was…Crap, what day is it?

The wheels under her creaked as they rolled over a bump. Then the voices in the room got louder and they were all talking at once.

“I need an 18 gauge…”

“Starting IV fluids now…”

“Set of x-rays ordered, Dr. Hand…”

“…And her parents consented…”

“Let’s have her type and cross just in case she needs it…”

Liz tried to open her eyes again when a fresh wave of aches swept through her body. She wanted to tell them where she was hurting. There was something wrong with her leg.

Nothing was working though – her tongue felt like it’d just landed on the bottom of the mouth and was stapled there and the rest of her mouth felt as dry as a desert. And she was so tired. She could feel sleep pulling her close and she went without protest.

Much later, she came to again only to hear they were still talking.

The bright lights hit her full on so she decided to just keep her eyes shut.

“Cat scan’s all clear…”

“But this one isn’t…is that?”

“Yeah, she needs…now if she’s ever going to…”

“Dr. Hand, OR room 4’s all…”

“Put her down…”

Then she felt every ache in her body roll off her like a wave and she began to float away.

Liz moaned softly as an annoying beeping sound pulled her out of her slumber. Then she waited, her eyes closing out the bright light she could sense just beyond her eyelids.

This was par for the course, a typical morning, she thought as she patiently waited for Tess, who was just two feet away in the bed across from hers, to shut it off.

She waited, and waited, but it only continued. Tess was taking a shower then. She probably wanted to have it all to herself for a full hour while Liz slept and…Michael. There was something about Michael, wasn’t there?

She groggily searched her mind, then it came to her.

Michael was home, finally.

He came home last night for dinner.

So Tess would have a hard time getting mirror space for her usual beauty routine and she probably woke up early to have the bathroom all to herself.

It’s a new alarm ringer, Liz decided after listening to a few more beeps. Tess had probably changed her cell phone alarm again.

That had to be it.

That was the only explanation.

Then she tried to turn her head, but her neck and shoulders were hurting so much. She probably pushed herself too hard at practice yesterday, she reasoned.

The pillowcase under her face felt starchy and stiff as she slowly moved her neck to the right. The fabric rustled against her ears like sandpaper.

Where were her pillowcases?

Liz tried to roll over then but her body wouldn’t. She couldn’t even move an inch without a fresh burst of pain grabbing hold. Her arms felt so limp and stiff, like she hadn’t swum in ages or used them at all. And when she tried to move her left leg, it felt heavy, as if strange tree branches had sprung up over night and settled into her sockets. And her other leg was just sore.

Why was everything hurting so much?

The alarm continued beeping, and she frowned slightly; was it her imagination or was it growing stronger and stronger?

She decided to start small before she opened her eyes. Little steps, she told herself as she slowly lifted her littlest fingers. The pad of her left pinkie brushed against an unfamiliar cool sheet that felt exactly like her pillowcase.

Where was the warm quilt Nana gave her when she was six, the one she always slept under?

She could also feel fabric under her thighs and around her knees, and she never wore pajama pants to bed. She liked wearing shorts and a thin top while she slept since her quilt was usually warm enough.

‘This is so…bizarre,’ was the thought she was testing on her tongue. Her mouth refused her and all she did was croak the very last syllable, “-arre” softly.

Completely bewildered, Liz’s light brown eyes finally fluttered open.

The moment she did, her eyes landed on the person crowded in the tiny armchair at the foot of her bed.

A dry gasp escaped her mouth, one so pathetically small she thought she sounded like a baby frog that didn’t know how to croak yet.

Liz blinked a few times, letting her eyes adjust to the brightness of the room and she slowly took in her surroundings.

All of the walls were painted white, and right in front of her, above the crowded armchair was a blurry watercolor of the beach. The plain dark blue curtains were pulled taut, so she had no idea what time it was. There was a small TV hanging from the ceiling over by the window.

Liz slowly turned her gaze to the right hand side of the room first. She took in the monitor displaying the sketch of her pulse. The alarm she thought she heard earlier was just the machine monitoring her pulse. The bed sheets were covering the lower half of her left arm but she could feel something stiff and tight around her entire forearm. She didn’t want to look just yet.

These things when combined with the shining white walls, the windowed door on the other side of the room and the paper thin pajama dress she was wearing all spelled one scary word: hospital.

It still didn’t explain why she was aching so much. Or the gurney they’ve tied me into, she thought angrily as her eyes landed on her left leg cradled in mid-air.

And she couldn’t remember. Her memories and how she made it here were dancing on the edge of her subconscious, taunting her.

Liz licked her dry lips and croaked, “Dad?”

When she tried to sit up a little, her hips stubbornly protested. So she had to call him from where she was though she could barely see him from this angle. It took four tries.

“Liz?” he grunted as he started to wake up.

“Daddy, I-“ she said, softening her voice.

He unfolded his arms and legs from his uncomfortable sleeping pose, then came over to her bedside. “Morning, Sleeping Beauty,” he said as he crouched down to her level.

“Hi,” Liz croaked. She plucked the sheets with the only hand she could still move, her left one, as her Dad stroked her cheek with his index finger.

“What ti—“ she started to say, but her body failed her just then as a coughing fit swept through her body. Her chest burned as she coughed her throat dry. He gently helped her sit up before placing a glass of water into her hands.

Liz gratefully sipped, and over the rim of the glass, she noticed things she hadn’t about her father when he was across the room.

His hair was drooping messily around his face, he had a five o’clock shadow around his jaw, and he was still wearing most of his suit. He was wearing one of his yellow button downs and his pants were wrinkled. The rolled up suit jacket on the armchair had probably been his pillow, for how long or why she still didn’t know. And she had to know.

Even though her throat begged for more, Liz lowered the glass.

“What time is it?” she asked clearer than before.

Her Dad flexed his wrist up. “It’s a little after eight.”

“Eight a.m.?” she asked hopefully.

He shook his head side to side once and she echoed softly, “Eight p.m.?”

He nodded and covered her left hand with his.

“Practice – I can’t believe I missed it today,” she heard herself saying lamely. They were supposed to announce the election results today. On Saturdays they met at nine for two hours while they were in season. How had it looked when she missed practice?

“No big deal if you missed it today,” he said.

His eyes were lingering on her face for a second too long. And there was something in his eyes she couldn’t recognize, something she’d never seen before.

He pressed the call button beside the monitor, then his phone started to vibrate.

His grin was just as quick to disappear as Michael’s, but she saw it, and it seemed that everything was right again. “That’s Mom. She had to go in to the office so she’s been calling every hour.”

He answered the call while a matronly nurse entered the room, clipboard in hand and a warm smile on her face. “Hi, Liz. My name’s Nurse Jane Johnston, and I’m one of the nurses tonight. How are you feeling?”

“The truth is, everything hurts,” Liz said.

Nurse Johnston winced. “I know, it’s the aftermath of bone surgery. We’re going to start you in on pain medications right now, okay?”

“Good, I think I really need it.” Something tugged on her memory and she blurted out, “You were here last night, when I came in?”

She seemed surprised for a second, then she nodded. “Sure was. I’m just going to check your vitals and see how you’re doing today. I just paged Dr. Hanby so he’ll be by shortly for a chat.”

Liz nodded absently. The name sounded familiar too.

Oh. It was Dr. Hand. While she was fading in and out last night, she’d held on to that, thinking it was probably the silliest name she’d ever heard.

There was so much she couldn’t remember though. The most vivid part was the journey from the ambulance to the emergency room. All she’d wanted was for the hospital to suddenly lose its lights. It’d been so bright the few times she’d been able to open her eyes.

She could remember pieces of what had happened before but not everything. Liz shivered as she relieved the terror she’d felt when the red car had come careening towards her.

“Are you cold?” Nurse Jane was saying as she adjusted the blanket.

Liz nodded, even though she didn’t think she was. She couldn’t feel much of anything apart from her aching muscles. Maybe she was cold.

“You’re in good shape, Liz,” Nurse Jane was telling her.

Her Dad was saying, “I love you, too,” as he flipped his phone shut.

“I’m sure she’s dying to know when she can come home,” he said, touching her shoulder.

Liz smiled convincingly, but Nurse Jane just scribbled something down on the chart instead of answering them directly. “I think Dr. Hanby would be able to answer that better than I can.”

Then the door opened again and both Michael and her Mom came in with the doctor trailing behind them.

“Mom, what are you doing here?” Liz said really surprised. “I thought you were at home or something.”

“We were just getting coffee,” she said. She pressed a kiss on Liz’s cheek. “Your Dad was under strict instructions to call me when you woke up.”

“Oh. Well, I didn’t realize you were here here. Dad waited a good ten minutes before he called,” she added helpfully.

She wanted to laugh when she saw her Mom glare at him. Then Mrs. Parker started stalking over to him to chew him out while Michael moved closer to Liz’s bed. He had a cast around his left arm that went around his shoulder and he had a large gauze wrapped around his right elbow.

“Hey, squirt,” Michael said as he walked over. “So I let some girl drive my car,” he added woefully, bringing out a smile on her face right away.

Liz tried to hide it before replying, “Dude, don’t you know? It’s cars before chicks…”

“Well, she’s really good at getting her way,” Michael said with a shrug. “I couldn’t turn her down.”

Liz looked up at him regretfully. “Michael, I’m so so sorry! I barely saw them coming and when I did it was too—”

“Hey, shh, it’s okay,” Michael said.

“But what about your car? I wrecked it!” she cried.

Michael pretended to mull that over. “Yeah, you banged it up pretty bad.”

Liz glared at him and pouted so Michael quickly backpedaled and assured her, “But I’ll be fine without one. I don’t really need it at school, and the only inconvenient thing is that I’ll have to find someone to give me a ride when I want to come home to see you.”

“Me?” she squeaked. “You want to visit me?”

“Of course. I’ll come as often as I can. Look Liz, the most important thing is that you survived this. And you’re okay, aren’t you?”

She bit her lip. “Yeah, I think so.” She glanced at the doctor who was consulting her chart with the nurse. “At least I hope so…”

Then the doctor faced her and she struggled to focus. “Hello, Liz. I’m Dr. Hanby, one of the orthopedic surgeons here. The surgery last night was a success,” he said.

Her parents clasped hands and exchanged smiles. “That’s great,” they were saying. “What’s next?”

“Wait,” Liz said with a frown. “What surgery?”

All eyes were on her then and she felt heat rising to her cheeks. “I mean, I know that there was an accident and that I had surgery, but uh, what did you do exactly, and what was wrong with me in the first place?”

“Of course, sorry, Liz.” He put down his clipboard and took a deep breath. “The accident involved a three car—”

“I’m not ready to hear about the accident yet,” Liz interrupted quietly. Her Mom squeezed her healthy hand for support and she was able to relax.

“Well, last night when you came in, you had fractured your arm in two places and broken your left leg in three places. You also had minor scrapes and other injuries here and there, but those will heal pretty quickly. I was able to successfully set both your leg and arm in surgery and now all that’s left is for you to heal.”

“Oh…” she said. Her mind was racing as she went through all of the things that she loved to do: swimming, running, diving, jumping, exercising, climbing... Her eyes were drawn to her left leg again. The cast was so heavy and thick that it seemed to say: as if!

Her Mom interrupted with, “And are you going to add a permanent cast to her arm?”

“Absolutely. We’ll do that tomorrow morning when her vitals are stable. Where she fractured it is in an unusual location so we’re trying to see how it heals in this position,” he explained, pointing to the cast.

Liz cleared her throat. “And, uh…how long will everything take to, uh, be back to the way it was? How long before I can swim, and run, and write, and…”

“And walk?” Dr. Hanby added, in what he thought was a helpful way, to help her say a word she couldn’t. The thing is it hadn’t even crossed her mind.

“What?!” she squeaked. The most basic of things, something she had always taken for granted, something she’d been doing since she was two, wasn’t even a possibility.

“I can’t walk…” she murmured in disbelief.

“Not for a little while,” Dr. Hanby said encouragingly.

Liz glared at him. For whatever reason, his upbeat bedside manner was pickling her nerves. She’d almost rather he was older. She would have preferred an older doctor who had more experience breaking news like this.

“You can still write,” Dr. Hanby pointed out.

At Liz’s blank expression, he tilted his chin to her right hand. “You know, with your other hand, so that injury won’t get in your way.”

Liz icily said, “I’m actually left handed, so it’ll be a little bit of a problem either way.”

“How long before I can do any of that?” she clarified.

“Bones take a long time to heal. With physical therapy, you can regain the use of both in three to six months,” Dr. Hanby explained.

Liz swallowed hard as she looked around the room and saw her family staring back at her. Her Mom’s eyes were clouded over with worry, and she noticed how her father kept shifting his weight every few seconds. Michael had been hiding behind his coffee cup since he entered the room, but now he was carefully studying her, looking away the instant she stared back.

That was a freaking long time. It would mean missing the entire swim season and possibly even the stupid prom she and Maria had an unspoken deal that they would at least brave and go to. She did the math quickly.

“So by graduation?”

“That’s possible,” Dr. Hanby said.

He consulted her chart again. “I see your blood count is a little low, so we’re going to start you on iron supplements as well as the pain medication.

He glanced around the room. “We’ll have to keep you here for a couple of days to monitor your progress.”

“I want to go home…” Liz said quietly.

“Not yet. It’s too soon,” Dr. Hanby cautioned. “If I were to send you home, you’d be unable to eat for several days because you’d be so nauseous. You just got out of a fairly intensive surgical procedure and you need to rest and give your body a chance to heal. With pain medication and an IV, you’ll be able to check out by Wednesday.”

She wondered if all patients had moments of extreme loathing towards their doctors. Somehow she didn’t doubt he would keep advising she stay here until then.

She was grateful for what he’d done, but the fact that he was delivering this news to her was wearing her down and making her situation seem even more hopeless.

“I’ll be by later to check on your progress, Liz. You’re doing very well.”

He directed his attention to her parents. “Deputy Valenti said he’d be by tomorrow afternoon for questions.”

“Good night, folks,” he said, then he and the nurse were gone.

She waited two seconds after the door shut before she mimicked, “You’re doing very well.”

“Liz, don’t do that,” her Mom scolded as she came over and tried to take her daughter’s hand.

“No!” Liz cried, her eyes filling with tears. “Six months? I can’t believe this…”

She wheezed painfully and closed her eyes when words started to fail her.

“It probably won’t be six months,” her Dad was saying gently. “You heard him, it might even be three.”

“Or it will actually be six. My senior year’s practically ruined,” she said brokenly and she couldn’t hold back the tears this time.
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me Tonight (AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 5 9/3 Page 6

Post by DreamerLaure »

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback! I don't have the update quite ready yet, I apologize. I had to move back to school last weekend, which is why I posted on Thursday, then I started classes today, and now I have auditions on Saturday that I have to get ready for. So the update is written already, dreamerfrvrp3's seen it though how she found time when she's been on a True Blood marathon lol is amazing to me. I just need to put some finishing touches on it, show it to her again, then it'll be all yours. :)

In the meantime, stop by the Support Stacie auction and buy yourself a story, or two lol. I'm doing two Roswell offers, and there's info about it on my author's page.

See you soon,

Lauren
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me...(AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 5 9/3, AN 9/11

Post by DreamerLaure »

Thanks guys! I'm sorry it's been so long - all I'll say is I got sucked into the whirlwind of being back at school these first few days lol.

I think I can be back with the next part on Thursday. ;)

Keepsmiling7 – thanks! I think she definitely thinks that too right now, but maybe it doesn’t have to ;)

Nibbles2 – lol, I have to agree - those are ALL worse. What doesn’t suck is that she’s survived :)

Alysluv – you’ll see :)

Natalie36 Yeah, it does :( Thanks!

spacegirl23 She has such a terrific family and group of friends that she just has to make it through this lol Thanks!

begonia9508 It was such an awful accident, huh? After this update, you’ll see she was very lucky indeed. Thanks!

coley452 You’re not letting me off easy, huh? I’m kidding. Ouch, that’s rough. I’m so sorry to hear about your injuries. It’s good that you healed well so quickly.

I honestly don’t know much about metal plates and casts...I can tell you that the exercises you did are going to come in handy for Liz later on, but just for the sake of clarity, I’m going to stick with what I know. So she has casts right now, they’re going to put a permanent cast on her wrist before she leaves the hospital, and we’ll find out more about the damage later when she starts physical therapy. :) Thanks!

mary mary Thanks! Teach Me Tonight is indeed the title for that reason ;) you’re good lol

kismet Hopefully she will – things can only go up from here, right? Thanks!

abbs007 Thanks! He will, next part I believe…

Rowedog You’ve told me on one occasion, I’d kind of forgotten though lol. She will, who wouldn’t hehe ;) Thanks cookie!

Chapter 6

Liz woke up Monday afternoon to the sound of someone singing along to the Beverly Hills, 90210 theme song and she knew who it was right away.

“Hi Maria,” she said as she opened her eyes.

The TV went mute, and Maria crossed the room. Once she was perched on the bed beside her, Liz rested her cheek on her friend’s shoulder. It was her friend’s second visit and they already had a routine.

“What, are you psychic now?” Maria demanded.

“It’s a new thing, I practice on the hospital food they bring me.”

“Then what is it today?”

“Clear food-flavored fluid and tomorrow, maybe green Jello.”

“Oh really? They treat you like gold here.”

Liz nodded. “Oh, absolutely. Jane says once I’m ready to move to solids, I can have Jello. I’m holding her to that.”

“There’s always a silver lining…”

“In every pleather jacket,” Liz finished sarcastically, tugging her friend’s latest purchase.

“But if you had real food right now…”

“I’d throw up,” Liz said sadly.

Maria was playing with Liz’s split ends, as usual. “I’m going to give you a really good trim soon,” she said firmly. “And you’ll have no choice but to sit still.”

“True. You finally have that advantage over me. But let’s just say, I finally want one.”

Maria perked up. “Yeah?”

Liz’s head bobbed up and down. “Yeah,” she echoed. “I want a haircut. But it has to be really specific.”

“Ok, I can do that…”

Maria watched Brandon cross the screen shirtless and she grinned.

Liz sighed softly once Maria grew quiet. “Are you watching 90210 on mute?” she accused.

“Nope,” Maria huffed. “Why you think so little of me, I’ll never know.”

“I don’t think little of you, silly.” She shoved her friend’s leg playfully. “I could never…”

“Maria?” Liz said suddenly a few minutes later, just as Maria was making progress reading the characters’ lips.

“Hmm?” she replied distractedly.

“Do you have a mirror?”

“A mirror?” she echoed. Liz’s eyes were still closed, but Maria could see a tear slipping down the cheek that was turned upwards to her.

“I know there’s something there,” Liz said firmly, “On my forehead.”

“You’re not going to be able to see it now…” Maria reasoned fairly.

“Because there’s a bandage on it? I’m just curious. I haven’t even seen myself since…”

“Liz…” Maria plead softly. “I don’t think it’s a good —“

“So if you bring me a mirror,” Liz continued, “I can see the damage, and if you bring a pair of scissors, you can cover it…”

“With what? A white bandana from these sheets?”

“My hair. I think Cousin It had it right.” Liz said wisely. She opened her eyes to see Maria frowning.

“I want bangs à la fourth grade, but thicker and shaggier, like they’re overdue for a trim. We’re going for a German Shepherd look here.”

Maria pulled her fingers through Liz’s unusually limp hair. “I shouldn’t cut dirty hair.”

At Liz’s silence and stubborn pout, Maria rolled her eyes. She got up, and retrieved the compact mirror and scissors from her bag. On her way over, she mumbled, “You’d probably just do an Edward Scissorshand job if I didn’t do it…”

“Are you sure? Maybe we should do this next week?”

Liz grabbed the mirror from her with her good hand. “It’s time to see what everyone’s been staring at.”

Maria bit her lip nervously as Liz lifted the mirror and studied her reflection, knowing her friend would see the scrapes that weren’t healed yet and the faint bloody outline of the cut on her forehead.

A few seconds later, verdict reached, Liz said, “OK, get me ready, Fairy Godmother.”

Maria arched an eyebrow as she lifted the scissors. “For what?”

Liz sighed wearily, “For tomorrow, and every day after it.”

“Hey, can we join this party?” Tess asked after she knocked twice on the ajar door.

Their peals of laughter faded at the intrusion, and both girls looked up and locked eyes with Tess. Liz smiled. “Of course. Come on in, Tess…”

She was wearing an oversized letter jacket that was so big the sleeves were bunched around her elbows. Liz stared at the jacket for a second, wondering why it was so familiar.

“And, uh, Kyle?” Her eyes gaped a little as her crush strutted into the room. It was his jacket, she realized, as she recognized the number on the jacket. “Uh, hi, Kyle.”

Maria scowled at both newcomers and she said loudly and without any inflection, “Oh, gee, look at the time. I have to go home to start my homework. I’ll see you tomorrow after school, ok?”

Liz nodded, and as Maria backed away and Tess and Kyle came closer, she started mouthing and gesturing at them. Liz winced as this continued for a few seconds, then Tess turned to follow Liz’s gaze and Maria wiped her face clean.

“Bye, guys!” she said in a singsong voice.

Tess’ frown disappeared as she turned back to Liz. “Oh, wow, your hair! You cut it…” she said slowly.

“Well, technically, Maria cut it for me,” Liz said, lifting her shoulders slightly.

“It looks great,” Tess gushed after a few second’s pause. “It’s going to take me some time to get used to it.” She turned to Kyle and lowered her voice, “This is the first time she’s changed her hairstyle since middle school. She practically invented the ponytail.”

Kyle’s laugh slipped over her like a blanket and Liz felt a shiver as he made eye contact. “Hey, remember when Matt Tutone tried to dip your ponytail in his paint cup?” he asked her, his eyes shining.

“If only Mrs. Taylor hadn’t walked by…” Liz said, completing their shared memory of third grade.

Tess cleared her throat softly. “Well, your new hair is cute, I really like it.”

Liz blinked, and accepted her sister’s hug as she leaned in. Over her sister’s shoulder, she noticed Kyle was glancing at her leg.

Two days ago, Liz would be nervously playing with her hair or blushing bright red. At the moment, she was hoping her skin wasn’t as pale and sickly as it’d been that morning, that her hair wasn’t as limp as Maria had whined while she snipped and layered, and more importantly, that she didn’t look like a victim of a car accident.

Maybe her prayers were answered! Kyle was looking at her the same way he always had.

Crap. That wasn’t really a good thing.

“Hey, how are you feeling today?” Tess was asking.

“A little better than yesterday, so, the uh, morphine’s probably doing its job.”

Her crack at a joke broke the tension, and Liz saw the beginnings of a smile on Kyle’s face too.

“That’s good.” She was still holding hands with Kyle and was leaning into him a bit. “You missed an awesome basketball game at Stanton by the way.”

Liz arched an eyebrow. “Really? They aren’t that good though. We usually beat them on the court without any problems. What was the score?”

Tess shrugged, so Kyle supplied an answer. “27 to 46.”

“Oh, nice!” Liz said enthusiastically.

Mr. Parker came in just then, and he said, “Hey, girls.”

He hugged Tess, then he leaned in and kissed Liz’s cheek. As he pulled back, he sported a confused look, and Liz good-naturedly supplied, “Dad, Maria just cut my hair like an hour ago.”

“Good, for a second I thought I hadn’t noticed it for days,” he joked.

Tess winced as he straightened his back and put on his most intimidating stare. Liz wanted to giggle out loud when Kyle instantly stepped back and released her sister’s hand.

“Daddy, this is Kyle.”

“How’s it going?” Kyle said, mistakenly slapping a high five when Mr. Parker extended his hand.

Tess turned bright red and Liz gracefully turned the tiny laughing snort that escaped her mouth into a cough.

Mr. Parker’s eyes flickered to his youngest with a bemused expression before he told Kyle, “Very nice to meet you, Kyle. Tess has told me so little about you.”

Tess’ blue eyes narrowed and she shook her head silently at Mr. Parker.

“Why don’t we grab a bite to eat downstairs and get to know each other a bit while the girls catch up?” he suggested politely, going easy on Kyle.

Even from her vantage point, Liz could see Kyle was turning as white as a sheet. He exchanged a worried glance with Tess before he said, “Uh, sure, sir, I mean, uh, Mr. Parker.”

After the door clicked shut, both Tess and Liz lost their composure and started giggling heartily for a few minutes.

“I thought I was going to lose it!”

“…OK, he was like way paler than I am!” Liz laughed.

“He thinks he’s gonna be toast…” Tess wheezed.

“Wait till he realizes Dad’s a softie.”

“He lost his cool…think he’ll be okay?” Tess asked as she wiped away a tear. She plopped down on the edge of Liz’s bed and faced her sister.

Liz raised an eyebrow. “It’s Dad. He’d win Most Friendly at work if they gave it out.”

“Still, I kind of fed him to the wolves there,” Tess said in a regretful tone.

“Mom will hold him back before he gets in too deep,” Liz reminded her.

“Okay, okay, I have to stop thinking about him,” Tess said a few seconds later. She rubbed her eyes and yawned, like she had since they were kids.

“Long day?” Liz asked.

“Not as long as yours, I’m sure.”

“The days are starting to feel the same so let’s just call it even.”

“When are you coming home?”

“Maybe Wednesday morning. I think Dad already asked for time off so he could bring me home as soon as possible.”

“OK, well, I’ll clean up before you get back…”

“Really?” Liz asked sarcastically. “Does that mean your stuff will miraculously make its way under my bed and vice versa?”

Tess shrugged. “I can’t make any promises. Hey, did you hear about the election yet?”

Liz sat up even more. “No. I asked Maria and she said she’d find out for me tomorrow at school. Do you know who won?”

“Yeah, are you ready for this?”

Liz nodded tightly. “Who?”

“Missy and Becky.”

Liz fell back on her pillow and groaned. “This is just great…”

“I thought you wanted Becky to win.”

“I wanted us to win together. Never mind that…I’m happy she’s won.

“But I can’t believe Missy fooled everyone and got their votes,” Liz fumed.

“How’d she do that?” Tess asked.

“It’s so obvious that she fixed the whole thing,” Liz was mumbling to herself. “I can’t believe I was accused of stealing! Me? Me!”

She pinned Tess with a befuddled gaze. “Have I ever stolen anything?”

“Nope,” Tess said. She paused playfully, pretending to go over the past. “At least, I don’t think so.”

Liz pursed her lips and frowned at her sister though she could see amusement lurking her blue eyes. “And out of the two of us, aren’t I the responsible one?”

Tess shrugged. “If we had to measure you against your friends too, of course I’d say yes.”

“Then how on earth did the money in the cash box just disappear?” Liz demanded.

“The cash box…”

She laughed harshly. “I brought it to practice Friday afternoon, opened it up and it was empty. Clean as a whistle. Wasn’t even a penny in there!”

“But it’s in the bank…”

Liz was still shaking her head and berating herself mentally so she didn’t hear her sister at first. Then the word penetrated the haze.

“Wait, what?” she demanded. “It’s where?!”

DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me...(AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 6 9/20

Post by DreamerLaure »

Thanks so much folks! :)

Natalie36
mary mary
Emz80m
kismet
keepsmiling7
nibbles2
chanks_girl
spacegirl23
begonia9508

I probably won't be back for a little while because of schoolwork - the next two weeks are really busy and I just got word that I've been accepted into a part time internship program (lol basically this means I rarely sleep or go out anymore!) but also because I'm working on the auction stories I've been asked to do :)

Either way October will have some exciting things...I hope this part answers some of your questions!

Chapter 7
“It’s in the bank,” Tess repeated firmly.

At Liz’s blank face, she continued, “Your friend, your, uh, coach’s assistant, Jake, that ex-football running back who pulled his knee in pre-season…”

Liz nodded. “Yeah, Jake…”

“He came over on Tuesday, the last day I was home sick with the flu. Mom answered the door, and he said he needed to deposit the Senior Class money.”

“A deposit?”

Tess was frowning now. “He said you forgot to bring the cash box to school that day, and that you sent him to your house to pick it up so he could go to the bank, and deposit it to the team account Coach Mullen has. Mom knew where you kept the cashbox and she found the key…”

“That was the only day I left the key at home…” Liz said quietly.

“Right, and then he put the money in a huge manila folder that had a typed up letter by your coach inside.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she demanded.

“I didn’t have to…he called you on the phone right in front of us and offered it to us so we could speak to you…”

“And you turned him down…”

“Yeah. What’s wrong, Liz?”

“Well, for starters, that wasn’t me on the phone, and I didn’t forget the cash box at home because we weren’t going to deposit the money until…”

Liz was speechless. It was genius, wasn’t it? She almost had to admire Missy.

Back in their pre-season in August when they started planning the senior gift and selected Liz as treasurer, Jake had been there at that organizational meeting. And Missy had turned to him, and said he could deposit the money in the bank for safekeeping when they were done with their last fundraising event. She’d even gotten some laughs from everyone when she teased him that he would forget all about it.

He probably had. And Liz and everyone else had forgotten…everyone had, except for Missy and Sherrie, who was rumored to be hooking up with him.

The details of the plan began to slide into focus: Missy told Sherrie to remind Jake he had to put the money in the bank; they sent him to her house when she wasn’t wearing the key – it seemed like Tess’ confinement at home was just a coincidence; Jake put the money in the bank the same week of elections; then Liz brought an empty cashbox to practice on the day of the votes and she looked like a liar and a thief in front of everyone when she opened it.

“Liz, what happened? Was he lying?”

She nodded. “It’s too late to do anything about it now…”

Both her Mom and Tess had believed Jake and his cover-up story. She almost couldn’t blame her sister for not telling her earlier – she hadn’t thought anything was wrong, and she’d been secretly dating Kyle for the past month, only just making it official this week.

What if Liz hadn’t thought it was bad luck to check the money inside the cash box? What would she have done when she discovered it was missing? She thought about her own meager savings – she didn’t have nearly enough to replace the money but she might have come clean to her parents.

What if both her Mom and her sister had been suspicious of that phone call and demanded to take it or checked in with her later?

It all came down to luck and there were so many factors that could have gone wrong for Missy and Sherrie, but it seemed like everything had worked in their favor.

Liz had no doubt Missy had something to tell the team this week, if she hadn’t already. It didn’t matter what story Missy weaved, she had the chance to put herself in a good light in front of everyone, and worst of all, she was their damn co-captain when it really, really should have been Liz.

Liz scowled when Tess asked if she was okay again, so Tess got up and backed away from the bed. “OK, I think I’m gonna go rescue Kyle. See you later, Liz.”

~*~*~*~*

‘What the hell are they arguing about?’ was her first thought an hour later when she heard her parents’ voices carrying down the hallway.

Her back was to the open door and she was facing the window. Mid-afternoon and she couldn’t even see it, she thought glumly when she noticed the time. It occurred to her then that she’d spent almost forty-eight hours in this hospital room and she had yet to see the curtains pulled back.

“…lawyering up. The nerve!” her Dad was saying.

“They’re grieving, Jeff, of course they are. Who wouldn’t?”

“I don’t give a damn. We’re grieving too. I was grieving when I got a phone call in the middle of dinner two nights ago and heard she needed to go into surgery.”

Liz gripped her pillow tight. They were talking about her. But what did they mean by grieving? Who were they talking about?

“It’s my kid in there…I was grieving when I found out. Everyday I’m in there seeing her like that, I’m grieving on the inside. It’s not right that they want to bring this into…when it’s clear what happened.”

Liz muttered, “Damn,” softly. Her Dad was too good at dropping his voice when he reached the words that his arguments hinged around. And it was driving her crazy that she couldn’t get closer to the door the way she used to when she was a kid and wanted to eavesdrop.

“And what about what Michael told us,” Mr. Parker continued. “If Valenti comes in here and tells us that what he said is true, their harebrained claims are going to fall apart like a house of cards…”

“Jeff,” her Mom was pleading softly. “We have to just see what happens. Take it on day by day. You go get some coffee and I’ll check on her.”

“Okay, fine,” Liz heard her Dad grumble. A few seconds later, her Mom entered the room.

“Hey, hon how are you feeling?”

Liz made a face and gestured to the morphine tube that was flowing into her arm. “So so, I’m worried about how I’ll feel once they take this out of me.” She wriggled awkwardly in the bed as a shooting pain traveled up her lower back.

Out of concern, Mrs. Parker stood and motioned for Liz to lean forward. “Well, the doctor will probably prescribe a milder pain medication for you, and if it’s still hurting a lot, we’ll come back until he gets tired of us in here,” she confided with a wink.

Liz smiled. “That sounds like a good deal.”

“So today’s the day,” Mrs. Parker said gently as she adjusted Liz’s pillow. As she was plumping it with her hands, she glanced back at her daughter’s face and laughed softly. “Maria did a good job.”

Liz’s jaw dropped then she smiled sheepishly. “I’m not even going to ask how you know.”

Mrs. Parker smiled too. “It’s a mother’s instinct.”

Liz reclined again and sighed contentedly. “Oh, this is perfect.”

“Are you nervous, because you shouldn’t be,” her Mom said.

Liz glanced at her Mom and wryly said, “It sounds like you’re more nervous than I am.”

“All you have to do is tell Sheriff Valenti as much as you can remember about Friday night and he’ll probably guide you with a few questions.”

Liz nodded and tried to breathe deep to relax. “OK, it sounds easy enough.”

“You’ll be fine,” Mrs. Parker said reassuringly. She squeezed Liz’s right hand just as
a knock came on the door to her hospital room.

“Come in,” Liz said loudly, and Sheriff Valenti entered with a deputy trailing behind him.

Liz squeezed her Mom’s hand tighter; what if she didn’t answer their questions correctly, what if she couldn’t remember what was important? Liz closed her eyes for two seconds and reminded herself that she’d been going over the details of the accident mentally for the past two hours and her parents did tell her that it was nothing more than an informal interrogation – she could totally do this.

“Mrs. Parker, Liz – this is Deputy Shine,” he said.

After greetings were exchanged, Valenti lowered his hat and asked, “Liz, how are you feeling today?”

“OK, I guess.”

Sheriff Valenti’s smile was professional as he continued, “So do you feel up to answering a few questions.”

Liz bit her lip. “Sure, of course…”

She started by recounting everything that had happened Friday afternoon with some prompting from the both of them. Deputy Shine was carefully copying her words down while Sheriff Valenti did most of the questioning.

“And did you take the same route back home that you took to get there?” he asked.

Liz paused. “Well, no, I didn’t actually. Maria, um, phoned me about an item she borrowed and wanted me to have back, so we were going to swing by her house first. She lives a few blocks off the route we usually take to get to our house, so I had to go a different way.”

“By the time we left Suzie Scoops, it had already started to rain. Within five minutes, visibility was very poor, but we were only a few blocks from Maria’s, so we kept driving.

“At the intersection of Robin and Berry Streets, I stopped at the light and when it turned green, I started to cross the intersection. When I was less than halfway across, I heard two car horns sounding. I looked to my left, and there were two cars coming towards us from my blind spot. One was red…one was black. At that point, I tried to back up the car.”

“I’m not sure which car hit first but I know the red one hit the front half of my brother’s car while the other hit somewhere behind our seats. I lost consciousness a few seconds after the airbag expanded.”

“What did you notice about the two cars that were approaching you?” Sheriff Valenti asked.

“They were both going fast.”

“And were you able to see either of the drivers?”

“No, it was so dark out and it was raining very hard. I could just see the road in front of me.”

Deputy Shine glanced at Valenti, then he took over. “Folks,” he said as he glanced at her Dad who was standing in the doorway with two cups of coffee.

“We did a thorough investigation of the crime scene and questioned several eye witnesses. They were speeding down Peach Street in what appeared to be a drag race. Forensics has determined that at one point both cars were averaging 95 mph. Given that the speed limit is 15 mph in that area and the level of alcohol in their blood, we’re fairly confident they were going on a joyride and racing each other.”

Mr. Parker spoke up then. “So you’re sure it was drag racing?”

Sheriff Valenti nodded grimly. “It sure seems that way. We’ll know more when our lab finishes evaluating the evidence.”

His colleague, Deputy Shine, flipped back the pages of his notepad, and offered, “The two drivers were James Brenner and Nick Robbins. They might have gone to school with you.”

Liz’s face was frozen with shock. “Oh my God, Nick?” she said hoarsely. “He’s a senior.” That was Sara’s Nick, her boyfriend. He was such a nice guy. All her years as a student, she’d heard rumors about some of the guys doing drag races. She had always assumed they were rumors though. Apparently they weren’t. Her eyes filled with tears then.

“Right, and his friend James, who was driving the red car is a junior,” Deputy Shine offered.

“Are they, uh, okay?”

A chill racked her body when she noticed how Sheriff Valenti exchanged glances with her parents.

“Well, James Brenner was driving the red car and he passed away while in transport to the hospital.”

She drew in a sharp breath and clutched the sheets. Tears filled her eyes even though she hadn’t known him all that well. “And Nick?”

Valenti paused. “Nick is in a coma right now.”

“Oh my God,” Liz said softly.

“Based on the evidence and your brother’s account which is almost identical to yours, it’s likely they were driving recklessly while under the influence of alcohol, which is always a dangerous combination.”

A hushed silence fell over the room and Mr. and Mrs. Parker moved closer to their daughter. She gripped the rail around her bed and tried to digest the facts. A simple trip to the ice cream parlor had gone so wrong. It was terrifying.

“Thank you very much for answering our questions,” Valenti was saying, and he was shaking hands with her parents. “We’ll be in touch if necessary. I hope you heal well, Liz,” Sheriff Valenti added warmly, tipping his hat as they left the room.

She heard her father’s sigh raggedly when the door clicked shut, and she looked at him questioningly. “Is something else going on?”

Her parents exchanged ‘the look’ and they seemed to communicate wordlessly for a second. Then he covered her hand and said, “Liz, the, uh, Brenners, are trying to press charges.”

“What? On w-w-who?” she spluttered.

Her Dad looked away uncomfortably, and her jaw dropped.

“Me?” she whispered shakily. “But it was an accident! It wasn’t my fault...”

He drew his mouth into a fine line and frowned. “Well, the evidence doesn’t give their case the weight they were hoping for, so they might not bring it to court after all.”

Liz’s face fell. He hadn’t said what she wanted him to say, what she needed him to say.

“Look, no matter what happens,” her Mom was saying, “We’ll face it together.”

Liz looked up hopefully at her Dad, but his mouth was set in a fine line and he was frowning at her leg.

Her Mom’s hug didn’t seem to help because the word fault was still spinning in her head.

Was all of it her fault?

~*~*~*~*
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Teach Me...(AU, M/L + CC, Mature) Chapter 7 9/26

Post by DreamerLaure »

Hey!

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone (and the bumps :) ) I'm so excited you're enjoying this story. So what looked like a busy 2 weeks runneth over and morphed into a disgustingly stressful month and combined with stuff happening outside of my schoolwork, ugh, it's been horrible to say the least. I'll be back as soon as I can :)

Thanks so much,
Lauren

PS: If it's any consolation, :D Max is in the next part