Meant To Be (teen mainly M/L, M/M) chapter 4 2/15/10 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Christmasnazi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Meant To Be (teen mainly M/L, M/M) chapter 4 2/15/10 [WIP]

Post by Christmasnazi »

Title: Meant To Be

Author: christmasnazi

Rating: mature

Disclaimer: I'm only playing in the sandbox

This is based on a Tequathisy challenge. To post it here would ruin the surprise.

Prologue:

Two figures ducked, the taller one shielding the smaller as much as possible, as the ground shook beneath their feet, the aftershock of the latest explosion. The startled squawking of the baby cuddled tightly against the smaller figure filled the air and the taller figure cringed, trying awkwardly to quieten the frightened infant.

"Come on, we can't stay here." Panic filled the man's voice as he huddled the woman and child down a dark, rubble filled street. He found it hard to reconcile the destruction around him to the town he'd grown up in. They had known for years that this threat existed, yet it still shocked him how quickly the invasion had progressed to this.

This town, the only home he'd ever known, looked every bit the war zone it had become. He knew he, they, were to blame for this. That their very presence on this planet, and in this town, had led to the death of all these innocent people. Their deaths weighed heavily upon his shoulders.

The trio turned down another rubble filled alley. The woman looked at the remains of the building beside her. Was that the UFO Museum? Yearning eyes strayed to the building across the street. The cafe had been reduced to brick and debris. There was nothing left of the home she'd grown up in.

They crossed the deserted, rubble filled street carefully. Finally reaching the opposite sidewalk, she inhaled sharply, taking in the smouldering remains of her childhood home. Tears filled her eyes at the loss of yet another cherished memory.

Bending carefully, she picked up the small plastic alien that had spent so many years displayed in the cafe's front window, her fingers skimming over the charred remains. So much death and destruction. She turned to the man at her side and asked, "Why is this happening?" She didn't really expect an answer. She knew there were no easy answers to be had.

"I don't know, Liz. I know I failed you, Isabel, all of us, but I swear to you I will protect you and PJ. I swear it." She looked into his solemn eyes and nodded. The three of them were all that remained now. Liz knew it weighed just as heavily on his shoulders as it did on hers. He'd always taken so much on himself. She knew better than to argue with him here, now.

Looking into her eyes, he wished he could just wave his hands and make all of this go away. All the pain, all the death, all the grief. He knew that was impossible, but he would do whatever it took to keep Liz and the baby safe. Or die trying. They were the only family he had left.

Hugging Liz tighter to him, he led her and the baby away from the restaurant. Too many painful memories for her, for both of them, here. He needed to get them out of the line of fire. Moving quickly down the alley past the building that held such painful memories, they crossed the next street, moving for the next alley.

Their best hope was to stay to the alleys, the shadows, to avoid any ground troops that might be searching for them. PJ was still crying fitfully, causing him to scan the area nervously before rushing them across the next deserted street.

"You! Stop!" Beams of energy flew past them with lightning speed and they immediately broke into a run for the looming alley before them. He heard her breath hitch, but he kept them moving until the safety of the alley swallowed them up. And still he ran. He knew better than to stop now that they'd been seen. Stopping could only mean death for her, for him, for PJ.

They were several streets away before he finally slowed their pace. And that was when he realized he was more dragging Liz along than leading her. Skidding to a stop, he looked down at her, and his heart froze. Her eyes were drawn to slits, her grip on PJ loosening before his eyes. He stared mournfully at the scorch mark on her top, at the blood oozing from the gaping wound there, and felt his throat clench around the words that were screaming for release.

He took PJ into his arms just as Liz crumpled to the ground at his feet. "NO! You can't do this, Liz! You can't leave me!" Falling to his knees, his shoulders shaking with the force of his sobs, he reached out, brushing a lock of hair behind her ear as he gazed down upon her beloved face.

"I'm sorry, Jack," Liz answered weakly, her eyes locked on his, a wealth of pain and regret in her gaze.

"No, Liz. It's not too late. PJ needs his mother. It's not too late," Jack protested weakly, squeezing her hand, willing her to fight, to live. "Stay with us, Liz."

"You have to go, Jack... they'll be coming. You have to get PJ out of here, keep him safe," Liz replied softly, her voice barely above a whisper now.

"Where are we supposed to go, Liz? Khivar's men are everywhere. If Max was here, he could heal you." Jack spoke softly, guilt lacing his words. "I failed him, and now I've failed you and PJ, too."

"We can't change the past, Jack. And you can't keep blaming yourself for this. It's Khi... Khivar's doing, not yours," Liz murmered. "If it was as simple as just going back and..."

"What, Liz?" Jack asked urgently. He'd seen her body tense up as she'd let her thought trail off unfinished.

"Serena..."

"Serena what? Talk to me, Liz."

"Serena said the Granolith..." Liz's breath hitched, her face contorting in pain. It seemed an eternity before she was able to complete her thought. "...can be used... as a time machine..."

"So I can go back and fix this! I can just warn us and we can stop Khivar from invading," Jack marveled, hope shining in his eyes. "I can save us all, Liz."

Jack squeezed her hand gently before raising it to his lips. "It's not too late, Liz. I'll get you to the Granolith and we can go back. Max can heal you and we can warn them about Khivar's invasion."

"You have been the best brother a girl could ask for, Jack. And I know... you'll be the... the best uncle to PJ... Don't cry, Jack... I'm ok... I'm go... going to be with... with Max again."

"No, Liz! PJ needs you!" Jack protested wildly. Liz squeezed his hand weakly, a sad smile on her face. And then her hand went limp in his, her eyes losing that spark of life. "No! Come back, Liz! You can't leave me," he sobbed, burying his face in her hair. "You can't leave me!"

Jack slumped, burying his tearstained face in her silky hair, his shoulders shaking with the force of his sobs. How had he failed them all so completely?, he wondered bitterly. How had he so completely lost control of the situation? There was no one left now. No one except the fussing baby in his weary arms.

Looking down into PJ's innocently trusting eyes, Jack stifled a grieving moan. His nephew was completely dependent upon him now. The boy's life was in his hands. Liz had entrusted the boy to his care. Jack vowed he would not let her down. He would protect this child with his very life.

His mission had been handed to him. He had to get them to the Granolith. Then he would use the alien artifact to take them back in time. There, he could just give Max the warning and ensure that the destruction around him would be prevented. His family would not suffer at the hands of Khivar.

*~*~*~*~*

The weary man ducked, holding the squalling baby tightly against his chest as a beam of red energy sliced through the night, barely missing them. Tuning out the baby's cries, Jack made his way stealthily toward his destination. His last orders had been to protect his King's mate and son at all cost. He had failed to save his Queen. He was unwilling to fail the Prince as well.

Reaching the base of the rock formation housing the pod chamber, and more importantly, the granolith, the man began to scramble upwards, toward the doorway hidden in the rock wall.
A loud painfilled growl mingled with the renewed bellows of the infant as another beam of energy found it's mark, burning through flesh like a knife through butter. Sweat broke out upon his forehead, lips twisted into a pained grimace as flames of agony licked their way along sensitive nerve endings, traveling upwards toward the emotion receptors in his brain.
Releasing a harsh grunt, one clammy hand lifted to press against the faintly glowing palm print blinking dully upon the stone. The door opened with a soft click and the figure crawled inside with it's very precious cargo, tightening his grip on the squirming infant in his arms.
The door sealed itself behind them and the figure crawled through the dried out pod, into the Granolith Chamber. Placing his Prince gently upon the floor, the figure cursed softly at the sight of the energy burns visible on the boy's arm, chest and face. The baby's shallow gasping breaths caused his heart to clench. No Damnit! I failed with her, I will not lose you, too, PJ! he thought determinedly.

Moving to the Granolith, Jack's hand dipped into a pocket, only to reemerge seconds later, fingers curled around the Crystal key, and sliding the rod into the base of the Granolith. Eyes gleamed as the Granolith whirred to life. He would just go back a couple of months... warn the others about what was coming, and Max could heal the baby. Problem solved; mission accomplished.

Holding the injured child against his chest, Jack reached out, allowing the Granolith to transport them both inside. Eyes closed, Jack waited for the Granolith to take them back.

Vertigo hit, and Jack braced himself as best he could, his need to protect PJ a desperatation that would not be denied. Dirt settled beneath his feet, and Jack stumbled to his knees, taking deep breaths and waiting for the lightheadedness to pass. Finally, Jack opened his eyes and groaned at the site before him.

How could this happen? They were supposed to go back a few weeks, a few months at most. Something had gone horribly wrong. Jack stared at the four incubating pods before him, knowing he had now failed for the final time. Max couldn't heal them if he hadn't even hatched yet!

Death would claim them and his failure would finally be complete. Liz had placed her trust in him and he had been unable to fulfill his sister's faith in him. Jack growled at the absurdity of the situation. No, damnit! PJ is not going to suffer for my mistakes!

Closing his eyes briefly, Jack pictured Liz's face, remembered her dying words, and he knew what needed to be done. Stepping to one of the pods, Jack placed a hand on the thin membrane and carefully punctured the pod, pulling the incubating child from the safety of the pod, gently replacing the child with his nephew.

Stumbling to the closest wall, Jack slid down, cradling the dying alien in his arms, his body jerking in pain as the child's agony became his own. A single tear escaped at the knowledge of what his sacrifice would cost him. Looking into the eyes of the dying alien, Jack allowed himself to find peace in the fact that his sacrifice would ensure the future of his nephew. Jack gazed down at himself until he slowly faded out of existence.

TBC?
Last edited by Christmasnazi on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Christmasnazi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Meant To Be cc mature prologue 8/22/09

Post by Christmasnazi »

thanks to everyone who reviewed... I'll thank you all in person in another post

chapter 2

Blinding light filled the pitch black cavern before the room plunged back into inky blackness. Then, a dull light pulsed steadily as one small hand broke through the thin membrane of the stasis pod. Green goo oozed out around the small figure of a boy as he dropped lightly to the ground.

The boy looked around the dimly lit room and turned to stare up at the other three pods expectantly.

Wait.

Several long moments passed before a second blinding pulse of light flared, the boy's hand raised to shield sensitive eyes. When the blinding flash eased back into that dim pulsing, the boy watched intently as the figure of a girl emerged from the pod beside his.

Safe.

Familiar.

Family.

The dark haired boy gazed upon the blonde haired girl and placed an awkward arm around her, hugging her tightly before stepping back and taking her hand firmly in his.

Wait.

The two small children watched silently as the process was repeated and a second boy emerged. This new boy gazed intensely at the boy and girl before him.

Safe.

Important.

Protect.

Danger?

He nodded deferentially before taking up an instinctually defensive stance before them, his eyes probing the darkness for any possible threat. When the boy was satisfied that no potential threat existed, he relaxed his stance and turned to join the other two in watching the final pod.

Wait.

Protect.

Once the final child, a second girl, this one with curly blond locks, had emerged, the silent quartet turned in unison and the first boy reached a hand to a spot on the stone wall, his palm fitting to the glowing handprint that appeared.

Go.

Live.

Return.

A door opened in the seemingly smooth wall and the second boy emerged first, ensuring the safety of the others before he turned and nodded.

Important.

Protect.

Safe.

Once again moving as one, the four, hands tightly clasped, walked slowly away from the cave that had housed them for so long. The cold night swallowed them up as they trekked across the hard-packed sand of the New Mexican desert.

~*~*~*~

The frigid air blew up tiny whirls of dust as the four continued their silent trek across the desert. No words had yet been exchanged, the four operating on some unknown internal guidance system. They knew instinctively that they belonged together. They were safe as long as they remained so. Even in this unknown and potentially hostile place.

Go.

Live.

Return.

Where the thoughts came from was unimportant. Each knew only that they needed to heed the thoughts. The darkness was suddenly broken by two beams of white light and the second boy raised a hand, palm held outward at the perceived threat.

Danger!

Protect!

Survive!

The lights came closer, and a rumbling filled the quiet night. The second boy's eyes narrowed as the threat moved closer, seemingly headed straight toward them.

Protect!

A blinding white light emerged from the boy's hand, as pulsing energy shot outward, toward the approaching threat. The rumbling became a screech and abruptly died, the two beams of light now stationary as they lit the darkness.

He turned to look at the others, his head cocked to the side inquisitively. The other boy placed a hand on his shoulder and nodded solemnly. A small smile touched the boy's lips as he turned back toward the beams of light.

The dark haired boy tightened his grip on the hand of the curly haired girl and reached for the other girl's hand as well. Then they began to walk toward the motionless beacons of light.

The lighter haired boy wanted to protest, but the words stuck in his throat. He looked on helplessly as the other three approached the source of the bright white lights.

Protect!

Heeding the command in his mind, the boy raced to catch up to the other three. He was still a few feet behind when the girl stopped, tugging her hand from the boy's and raced back toward him.

He was stunned when she continued her terrified flight, running past him and into the vast shadowy desert, quickly swallowed by the inky blackness of night and lost from view.

Protect!

Go!

Find!

Protect!

The two boys locked eyes, communicating silently before the lighter haired boy turned and ran after the girl.

~*~*~*~*~*

She allowed the boy to grip her hand tightly, feeling deep down inside that he was the most important person in her new life, the one person she could trust to protect her. But, as they moved toward those bright, bright beams of light, terror rose from the pit of her stomach, drowning out the voice that whispered that she was safe.

Her breathing quickened, her heart beginning to pound in her chest, panic clouding her mind. No! They had to stop, had to go away from the lights, not closer! Why was he taking them closer?

Danger!

The word screamed through her mind.

Run!

And so she did. She wrenched her hand from his and bolted back the way they'd come. Past the other boy, back toward the safety of the cave they'd left. Ignoring the voice still whispering in her mind, she ran deeper into the desert, not conscious of the fact that she was now alone in this strange place.

Nothing registered in her terror clouded mind. Not the cold hard packed sand beneath her bare feet, not the bone chilling bite of the wind, not even the inky blackness.

She wasn't sure how far she'd run when she finally realized that she was alone in the darkness in this strange new place.

Go back.

Danger.

Go back.

It struck her hard that her fear of one unknown had placed her in even more danger. At least with the others there was the safety of numbers.

Go back.

Here, alone, the danger was greater. She had no one to hold her hand, no one to protect her, no one to ease her fears.

Go back.

Danger!

Go back!

Memories filled her mind. She had fled their protection before, and she had paid for that mistake with her life. How could she have made that same mistake again?

Go back.

The girl turned, intending to follow those two beacons of light back to the others. Her mouth gaped, eyes widening.

Danger!

Her terror ratcheted up another notch. There was no light to follow. Darkness loomed all around her, closing in on her.

Help!

Danger!

Alone!

Tears filled the girl's eyes, spilling over to glide down the soft smooth skin of her cheeks.

Danger!

Alone!

She dropped to the hard desert floor, lifting her legs up toward her small shivering body, long arms wrapping around nobby knees. She huddled there, in the middle of the endless desert, too cold, too tired, too scared, to move.

Alone!

She could only hope that when death claimed her again, that this time it would be swift and less painful than the previous time.

Alone!

Time held no meaning for the cold, frightened child.

The memory of her previous death played and replayed itself out in her mind again and again and again.

Remorse.

Fear!

Pain!!

Vilandra knew she should have listened to her brother, her King, but the thought of being trapped in that tiny room with no way out should the enemy stumble upon it had filled her with an overwhelming fear. Looking up and down the next corridor, Vilandra listened for the slightest sound of anyone approaching.

Satisfied that she was in no immediate danger of being discovered, Lonnie continued on toward the Granolith Chamber. She knew that was where Zan would have sent Shanara.

Her brother may have joined with Avara for the good of his planet, but Vilandra knew where his heart truly belonged.

She had never been fooled by Zan's protestations that Shanara was only his friend, nothing more. Zan had never been adept at deceit.

She was pulled from her memories when she became aware of the hand upon her shoulder, and a piercing scream escaped her lips.

Danger!!!

Her eyes slowly focused and she recognized the boy instantly. The scream ceased abruptly and the girl threw herself at the boy, hugging him to her tightly. Relief flooded through her, leaving her weak in its aftermath.

Safe.

Familiar.

Family.

She looked past him, eyes seeking the others, but it quickly became evident that he had come alone.

Safe.

Family.

Still, it was enough not to be alone anymore. The girl was content enough with his company.

Go.

Live.

Return.

tbc...
Christmasnazi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Meant To Be (teen mainly M/L, M/M) chapter 1 8/29/09

Post by Christmasnazi »

pml: very glad you enjoyed. This fic is my baby. I'm going to delve into and flesh out most if not every minor character from the show as we move through the fic.

begonia9508: really glad you're enjoying! keep on letting me know what you like and/or don't like!

keepsmiling7: glad you're liking it so far!

natalie36: things will get clearer as we go along!

dreamer19: Thank you! Very glad you're liking it so far!

janetfl: Yay! Very glad you likes!

chapter 1b

She allowed the boy to grip her hand tightly, feeling deep down inside that he was the most important person in her new life, the one person she could trust to protect her. But, as they moved toward those bright, bright beams of light, terror rose from the pit of her stomach, drowning out the voice that whispered that she was safe.

Her breathing quickened, her heart beginning to pound in her chest, panic clouding her mind. No! They had to stop, had to go away from the lights, not closer! Why was he taking them closer?

Danger!

The word screamed through her mind.

Run!

And so she did. She wrenched her hand from his and bolted back the way they'd come. Past the other boy, back toward the safety of the cave they'd left. Ignoring the voice still whispering in her mind, she ran deeper into the desert, not conscious of the fact that she was now alone in this strange place.

Nothing registered in her terror clouded mind. Not the cold hard packed sand beneath her bare feet, not the bone chilling bite of the wind, not even the inky blackness.

She wasn't sure how far she'd run when she finally realized that she was alone in the darkness in this strange new place.

Go back.

Danger.

Go back.

It struck her hard that her fear of one unknown had placed her in even more danger. At least with the others there was the safety of numbers.

Go back.

Here, alone, the danger was greater. She had no one to hold her hand, no one to protect her, no one to ease her fears.

Go back.

Danger!

Go back!

Memories filled her mind. She had fled their protection before, and she had paid for that mistake with her life. How could she have made that same mistake again?

Go back.

The girl turned, intending to follow those two beacons of light back to the others. Her mouth gaped, eyes widening.

Danger!

Her terror ratcheted up another notch. There was no light to follow. Darkness loomed all around her, closing in on her.

Help!

Danger!

Alone!

Tears filled the girl's eyes, spilling over to glide down the soft smooth skin of her cheeks.

Danger!

Alone!

She dropped to the hard desert floor, lifting her legs up toward her small shivering body, long arms wrapping around nobby knees. She huddled there, in the middle of the endless desert, too cold, too tired, too scared, to move.

Alone!

She could only hope that when death claimed her again, that this time it would be swift and less painful than the previous time.

Alone!

Time held no meaning for the cold, frightened child.

The memory of her previous death played and replayed itself out in her mind again and again and again.

Remorse.

Fear!

Pain!!

Vilandra knew she should have listened to her brother, her King, but the thought of being trapped in that tiny room with no way out should the enemy stumble upon it had filled her with an overwhelming fear. Looking up and down the next corridor, Vilandra listened for the slightest sound of anyone approaching.

Satisfied that she was in no immediate danger of being discovered, Lonnie continued on toward the Granolith Chamber. She knew that was where Zan would have sent Shanara.

Her brother may have joined with Avara for the good of his planet, but Vilandra knew where his heart truly belonged.

She had never been fooled by Zan's protestations that Shanara was only his friend, nothing more. Zan had never been adept at deceit.

She was pulled from her memories when she became aware of the hand upon her shoulder, and a piercing scream escaped her lips.

Danger!!!

Her eyes slowly focused and she recognized the boy instantly. The scream ceased abruptly and the girl threw herself at the boy, hugging him to her tightly. Relief flooded through her, leaving her weak in its aftermath.

Safe.

Familiar.

Family.

She looked past him, eyes seeking the others, but it quickly became evident that he had come alone.

Safe.

Family.

Still, it was enough not to be alone anymore. The girl was content enough with his company.

Go.

Live.

Return.

tbc...
Christmasnazi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Meant To Be (teen mainly M/L, M/M) chapter 1b 9/4/09

Post by Christmasnazi »

begonia9508: they are still quite influenced, aren't they? :)

chapter 2

Michael ignored the waitress as she placed his plate in front of him, his eyes glued to Max. The moment the girl was gone again, he spoke. "It happened again last night, Maxwell. I'm telling you, this is getting pretty damned creepy."

"It's just a dream, Michael. It doesn't mean anything," Max answered, his eyes following Liz Parker's progress around the busy diner.

"Damn it, Maxwell, will you just forget about your infatuation with that stupid waitress and focus for once! This is serious. And it wasn't just a dream, damn it! It was real!"

Max turned his gaze to the table suddenly and Michael knew, just knew, that Liz had looked his way. "Michael, it's just a nightmare. I mean, look around you. Everything is normal. You have to let this thing go."

"Oh, right, Maxwell. Like you've let go of this insane obssession with Parker?" Michael scoffed bitterly.

"Liz has nothing to do with this," Max protested. "Don't take your frustrations out on her."

"God, listen to you, Maxwell. You talk about her like she's the most important person in the world. In case you've forgotten, Liz Parker doesn't even know you're alive." Michael stared at Max silently.

"Stop trying to change the subject, Michael. We're talking about you overreacting to your dreams. Liz has nothing to do with that," Max stated through clenched teeth.

"Well, I have news for you, Maximillion. Liz does have something to do with it. She was there," Michael replied, smirking at his friend's shocked face.

"Wh... What do you mean, 'she was there'?" Max demanded, confused. "You're dreaming about Liz now?"

"She was there, Maxwell. She was with some guy," Michael informed him. "And, no, it wasn't you."

"What guy? Michael tell me what you saw," Max demanded.

"Oh, sure, now you want to know. Just mention Liz Parker's name and you get all obssessed. Nice to know what's important to you, Maxwell."

Before Max could respond to Michael's accusation, he was startled by the sound of breaking glass and Maria Deluca shouting Liz's name. Max spun around to see two customers fighting for control of the gun in one man's hand. Max and Michael ducked for cover, flinching at the sound of the gun firing in the crowded diner.

"LIZ!" Maria's second scream chilled Max's blood and he turned, taking in the sight of Liz's legs sticking out from behind the counter. Oh, God, Liz! This wasn't happening. He couldn't lose her, not now, not like this.

He jumped to his feet, prepared to do whatever it took to save her. "Maxwell, what are you gonna do?" Michael asked, fear lacing his voice.

"Let me go, Michael," Max ground out, pushing past him and kneeling at Liz's side.

Oh, God, Michael thought. This can't be happening. The rules! Max was breaking the rules. In a crowded diner, no less! Don't do this, Maxwell, he pleaded silently. Don't expose us.

The realization hit him that Max had placed a human's life above his own, above Michael's and Isabel's. Panic threatened to replace reason. "Maxwell! Keys, now!" he cried out, and caught them as Max tossed them his way, wasting no time in running from the diner to retrieve the Jeep, escape his only thought now. They needed to go now! As fast and as far from Roswell as possible. He'd always known this day would come. But Michael had never seen it ending like this.

Jumping into the Jeep, Michael gunned the engine and screeched to a stop outside the front doors. Come on, Maxwell! We gotta go! His fingers tapped the sterring wheel agitatedly. What was taking him so long? The sirens were getting louder by the second. Didn't Max know they couldn't be here when the police arrived? Didn't he comprehend what he'd just set in motion?

The gun going off had been surreal enough, but when Max had... had gone and used his powers on Liz... in a restaurant full of customers, no less... He released an audible sigh of relief when Max finally came running out and jumped into the jeep and wasted no time in tearing away.

He swerved sharply, barely missing a blue minivan as the jeep skidded around a corner. He wanted to put as much distance between the diner and himself as possible before he killed Max for being so stupid. We're screwed now, he realized with growing terror. There's no fixing something this big.

Michael picked up speed, desperate to put as many miles as possible between the cafe and the two of them. He ignored Max's protests as they passed the city limits, speeding away from Roswell itself now. It still wasn't far enough. The thought flickered through his mind that nowhere on this miserable planet would be far enough.

"Michael, stop! Where the hell are we going?" Max asked, panic in his voice as he reached for the steering wheel, trying to halt their headlong rush.

Michael growled, jerking the wheel and pulling off the road. He was driving into the desert now, but he didn't care. He needed the solitude that the desert could provide. Finally skidding to a stop, Michael jumped from the jeep, pacing restlessly.

His thoughts turned to the countless times he had accompanied Maxwell to the cafe. They always sat in the same booth. Max would make him sit there for hours so he could sit there and watch the girl from afar. He even ordered the same thing every time.

Heaven forbid they should break the routine for even one day. I knew indulging Max in this stupid fantasy of his would get us in trouble. I should have put an end to this a long time ago. "Couldn't we have done something different for once, Maxwell? Taken in a movie, robbed a bank, jumped off a bridge?"

Frustrated by the continued silence, he raised an arm, his hand scratching at his furrowed brow as he tried to think of some way to contain this. Any way to protect their secret and keep them all safe. Any way to convince Max that they had to leave. Now. Tonight.

He tried to fathom how Maxwell could so easily risk their lives for Liz Parker. Hadn't they made the rules together? Hadn't they all agreed it was too dangerous to get close to anyone? That they had to guard their secret by keeping their distance? Never let anyone get close enough to see. The golden rule of Hiding In Plain Sight. "What do you plan to do to fix this Maxwell?" he hissed.

Say something, Max. Tell me you can fix this. Tell me you didn't really just betray us over some stupid crush, he begged silently. Moments that seemed like hours passed in silence. Max's refusal to even admit that he had done something wrong only increased Michael's anger and he let loose, lashing out.

"Don't you even realize what you did today, Maxwell? You've put us all in danger! When they come for us and take us away to study in some government lab... you just remember that you did this!" He glared at his friend, furious that Maxwell couldn't see what he'd done.

Max sighed, sticking his hands in his pockets before retaliating. "Don't go there, Michael. You're the one who always goes off half cocked, not me."

"Not you!? Maxwell you just used your powers in public!" He turned his back on his brother, inhaling deeply as he tried to calm his frazzled nerves. "When have I ever done anything that stupid?"

"I couldn't let her die, Michael. I love her." And he did, Michael realized. It was in every glance, dripping from every word. When did this happen? he wondered frantically. When did our entire exist become connected to Liz Parker?!

Spinning on his heel, Michael glared icily at Max. "Obviously. You proved today that Liz Parker is more important to you than Isabel or me!"

"I didn't say that, Michael!" Max refuted defensively. "Stop putting words in my mouth."

"Doesn't it bother you at all, Maxwell?" Why could he not see reason? It was the only way they could protect themselves from this world and its inhabitants. They were in a hostile environment and Max was still pretending they could get out of Roswell unscathed.

"Doesn't what bother me?" Michael shook his head at the honest confusion he could hear in Max's question.

"The way they see us. Take a good look around, Maxwell, and open your eyes. Isn't it about time you gave up on this impossible fairy tale of yours?" Michael sighed at the hurt look in Max's eyes. "Look, Max. I'm not trying to hurt you here, ok. But you've been living in this... this fantasy world you created where you get the girl and live happily ever after. Wake up, Max. This is the real world. And out here... she's human and you aren't. Out here in the real world, there is no happy ending. And the girl in that fantasy, she's dating the sheriff's son."

"You don't understand, Michael." Taking in his proud stature and the love shining in Max's eyes, Michael bit back a snide remark. "You don't understand how special Liz is. You'll never understand how important she is to me. What it's like to want to put someone else's well being above your own."

"I don't understand, Maxwell?" he asked incredulous. "If there's anyone who understands, it's me. I'm the one who babysits you day after day while you pine away over a girl who will never accept you."

"No, Maxwell," he ground out when Max attempted to deny it. "You know I'm right about this. Liz Parker will never accept you. And even if miracles happened and she did accept you... What about our pact? Have you forgotten the rules we made, Max? Have you forgotten the fact that we're going to leave one day? What happens to your little fairy tale world then?"

"This will be alright, Michael. Liz won't say anything," Max answered confidently.

"Yeah, right, Maxwell. Liz is just gonna pretend nothing happened today. Keep telling yourself that," he scoffed. "You started this, Maxwell. You better fix it before Valenti or the government come sniffing around."

"You'll never understand what's it like, Michael," Max challenged. Does he even realize that he sounds like a broken record? Michael wondered in frustration.

Arching a brow, Michael smirked. "Understand what, Maxwell? Understand loving a complete stranger more than your own family? You're the one who doesn't understand! This has to stop, Maxwell. You have to let go of that damn fantasy and rejoin the real world. Before you bring us all down!" The reality was that they were aliens trapped on a world that would hunt them and kill them and dissect them if they were ever found out. If they were lucky, it would be in that order.

~*~

One day, Michael thought bitterly. Max used his powers only yersterday, and now the sheriff was pulling them over. He knew! Of course he knew. That comment about the shooting wasn't a coincidence. Valenti knew what happened. The hunt was on.

Liz Parker was dating the sheriff's son, for god's sake! And even after their confrontation in the desert.... How could he tell her? Had he lost it completely? Michael watched Valenti drive away and turned his gaze on his pseudo brother.

This was his worst nightmare coming true. Liz would tell her boyfriend, or at the very least that dizzy blond that was always glued to her side and that would be it. The next thing you knew, he'd be strapped to a table somewhere, a notch on some government scientist's belt. Let's see what makes the alien tick.

How could Maxwell really believe that some human would be able to accept their secret? He couldn't believe how completely deluded his friend had become. He needed to get home, pack his few meager possessions and get the hell out of dodge. He wasn't about to wait around for Liz Parker to prove him right about where her loyalties lay.

"She won't tell anyone, Michael. Liz is different," Max insisted. Was that the first tinge of uncertainty?

"Yeah? How did she handle you telling her, Max? 'Oh, you're an alien. Great. That's fantastic'? No, I didn't think so," Michael spat out, throwing the keys down on the seat. "Damn it Maxwell!" Relationships were a weakness, one that none of them could afford. "It was bad enough that you risked our secret by healing her. But to actually spell it out for her? To admit to our nonhuman status? How could you put us in danger like this over a human?"

Because it was Liz Parker, of course. Hell, Maxwell would probably throw himself into some government agent's hands if he thought it would help Liz, Michael thought in disgust.

Stomping away from the jeep, not waiting for an answer he knew wouldn't come, the angry alien made his way slowly back to town, conflicting emotions ricocheting through his tense, angry body. He'd never hated anyone so much in his short miserable life.

~*~*~*~

Michael stomped furiously through the desert, his mind racing in a million different directions at once. Anger, directed at Max. Terror and anger warred at the thought of Liz Parker. Anger, for the danger her very existence had suddenly put them in. Terror, at the thought of what would happen to them now.

And yet, in the back of his mind, some small part of him, almost too silent to be heard, kept insisting that Max did the right thing... that Liz was important.

Pain, hot and blinding filled his head. Michael stumbled to his knees as images flashed through his mind, like a barrage of snapshots speeding past his eyes. Liz Parker, laying on the ground, blood oozing from a gaping wound on her chest. Dying! The thought flashed through his mind, followed by an unexplainable sense of intense loss.

He groaned, grinding the heels of his palms against his eyes, trying to will the pain away. What was happening to him?!? The dreams were bad enough. But now he was seeing things in the middle of the day? When had he become so obssessed with Liz Parker? That was supposed to be Maxwell's gig, not his.

Michael didn't do obssessions. Michael didn't do people, period. Why bother getting attached? Sooner or later, they'd be off this rock, heading back to wherever they came from. It was stupid to let yourself get attached to people if you knew you had no future with them, right?

No, it was better this way. Stay detached, keep to yourself, and there won't be any regrets when the time comes to go home.

The pain lessened as the flashes and feelings faded, and Michael stumbled back to his feet. That girl was more trouble than she was worth. He would do whatever it took to keep Maxwell as far away from her as possible.

Better not tell him about that flash, Michael decided. Max would probably glue himself to her side if he ever knew that Michael had seen her die.

With the decision made, Michael released the breath he hadn't even realized he was holding. The thought still simmered in the back of his head that they should just go, get the hell outta dodge before it was too late. Between the two of them, surely he and Isabel could even drag Max off with them. Hell, he'd even thank them later. Yeah, right, Michael. Keep telling yourself that.

Michael knew Max would never go willingly. He'd never give up the family, the parents, the house, the girl. So many ties. He'd never go willingly, even knowing that the day was going to come when they would be leaving, not just Roswell, but the entire planet!

Part of Michael, buried deep inside, a part that never saw the light of day, said that Michael was the one fooling himself, taunted him with the knowledge that 40 plus years had passed and that they were still stuck here. Michael refused to acknowledge the thought. They would go home! There was something better out there, waiting for them!

tbc...
Christmasnazi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Meant To Be (teen mainly M/L, M/M) chapter 2 9/12/09

Post by Christmasnazi »

Finally here with the next chapter. Enjoy!

Chapter 3

"Mommy?"

"Yes, sweety?" Nancy answered, placing the last neatly folded shirt on top of the overflowing basket.

"I know what I want for Christmas this year," the little girl said solemnly, looking up at her mother with barely concealed excitement.

"You do, do you?" Nancy asked, smiling brightly.

"Uh huh!" the girl nodded, chewing absently on her lower lip.

"Well, are you going to tell me?" Nancy asked, eager to know what had put the sparkle in her daughter's eyes.

"I can't," Lizzie answered regretfully. Oh, how she wanted to blurt it out! But 'Ria's words played themselves in her mind again.

"It doesn't matter what you wish for, Lizzie. If you tell, it won't come true," her best friend had informed her.

"Why not, Sweetie?" Nancy asked curiously.

"If I tell... then Santa won't bring her." Lizzie kicked at the floor restlessly. She always told her mommy everything. It was so hard not to reveal her deepest wish!

"Bring who, Lizzie?" Nancy prodded. She wasn't used to her daughter keeping things from her, and she found that she didn't like it. She didn't like it at all.

"My new sister."

~*~*~*~

"Lizzie told me what she wants for Christmas this year, Jeff," Nancy said softly.

"Already? It's only the third week of October," Jeff pointed out with a chuckle.

"Well, your daughter thinks Santa will need the extra time to find her," Nancy continued.

"Find who?" Jeff asked.

"Liz wants a sister for Christmas," Nancy informed her dumbfounded husband, smothering a laugh behind her hand.

"A... a sister," Jeff choked.

"Have you ever thought about it, Jeff?" Nancy asked, turning serious.

"Thought about what, Nancy? Having another child?" Jeff asked.

"Every Halloween we spend a week planning and cooking and decorating over at the orphanage, and every year we sigh over how many unwanted children there are. Haven't you ever thought about giving one of those children a home, Jeff?"

"Well, I..." Jeff sputtered, at a loss for words. "Nancy, we don't have the time to take in a child right now. What with running the cafe and raising Lizzie... This is crazy, Nancy."

"It would be hard, but not impossible, Jeff. And at least Liz would have someone to spend time with while we're busy with the Cafe. I think we should at least consider this, Jeff," Nancy insisted.

"You really want to do this, Nancy? You want to start raising a second child, now of all times?" Jeff asked incredulously.

"Why not now? If we keep putting it off, it will only make it harder. For us and for whatever child we decide to adopt. Do you really want to keep our new daughter waiting because of the cafe?"

Jeff sighed deeply. "Fine, Nancy. We'll consider it. But, if we do this, we're adopting a boy," Jeff informed his wife.

"Why a boy, Jeff? Liz has her heart set on a sister," Nancy reminded him.

"A boy will even things out," Jeff pointed out. "If we go through with this... we get a boy."

Lizzie nibbled at her lower lip, pondering her father's words, as she tiptoed away from her parents' door and headed back toward her own room. She'd had her heart set on a sister, but would a boy really be so terrible? Maybe she could find one like Alex. She wouldn't really mind a brother like Alex, someone who could always make her laugh.

~*~*~*~*~

Lizzie fidgeted as her mother put the finishing touches on her costume. She loved every tiny detail, from the wings, to the halo, to the glitter sprinkled into her hair. And tonight she truly would be an angel. She was going to choose her brother tonight. The boy she would spend the rest of her life with.

She couldn't help wondering what he would look like, this new brother of hers. Alex's face kept popping into her head. Lizzie shook her head firmly. No. She knew he wouldn't look like Alex. She just hoped he could make her laugh like Alex always could.

"You look beautiful, Lizzie," Nancy said softly, pressing a kiss to her daughter's forehead.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Sweety?"

"I'm going to pick him out, right?" she asked tentatively.

"Yes, baby. You can pick him out," Nancy confirmed. "I know you wanted a little sister, Lizzie, but your father insists that we should adopt a boy instead."

"I know, Mommy. It's ok. I'm gonna pick a boy like Alex, so he'll always make us laugh," Lizzie confided.

Lizzie slipped through the doors, into the rec room and gazed around in awe at the decorations. Pumpkins lined the tables, candlelight flickering eerily. Huge bowls of every type of candy imaginable, chips and dip filled out the rest of each table. Lizzie couldn't quite hide her pride at her parents for all that they did to make Halloween special for the kids here.

And she remembered once again that this year was different. That this year, they had come here, just the three of them, but they would be leaving as a foursome, with her new brother at her side. She looked up eagerly as the kids began to file in, and she tried to get a good look at each boy who entered.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Come along now, Children. We're going to the rec room for our Halloween party," Mrs. Anderson announced loudly. She smiled encouragingly at her charges, herding them into some semblance of a line. She was wearing a black leotard with a long black tail attached, and her face was painted with whiskers and a black nose.

Mrs. Anderson led the children out of the room, turning to make certain there were no stragglers. "You, too, Max, Tessa. Come along now."

Should we follow? Tess looked questioningly to Max.

Max took her hand and led Tess toward the door, allowing the woman to herd then down the long hallway after the other kids.

Entering the large, noisy room, Max and Tess both recoiled, the urge to flee this chaos washing over them. Black and Orange streamers hung from the ceiling. Witches, black cats and aliens adorned the walls.

Smiling jack-o-lanterns sat on sturdy tables.

One table was filled with brightly colored bowls of candy.

Still clutching her hand tightly in his, Max turned, prepared to follow the urge to flee, when he saw her out of the corner of his eye and he froze, his body stiffening.

She was standing alone in the corner of the room. her wide brown eyes darting around the room, and Max found himself mesmerized by the sight of her.

She was wearing a shimmering white dress, with large gossamer wings attached at her back and a silver glitter halo above her head.

Max took a step toward her, wanting, needing to get closer to her. He felt the tug on his arm and turned to Tess, anger flaring up unexpectedly. He needed to get to her. His heart thumped loudly in his chest at the thought of touching that pretty brown hair.

He took another step forward and felt the tug on his arm again. Max frowned and released Tess's hand. If she didn't want to go with him, he'd go himself.

Max turned back to the angel on the other side of the room and knew that he had to meet her. Only the sound of Tess's frightened whimper halted his flight. Turning back to her, he saw the frightened tears in Tess's eyes.

Max reclaimed her hand, the gesture meant to ease her fears, and he tugged her along with him, trying to weave his way past the other kids. He lost sight of her and panic filled him, making his feet move faster.

Moving past a group of chattering girls, Max found her again, and his heart clenched painfully in his chest.

He watched his angel talking to another boy, and he frowned. What was she doing? She was his, didn't she know that?

Why was she clinging to his arm? Max's frown darkened to a scowl at the sight. He glared darkly at the boy with his angel.

His eyes narrowed and he prepared to teach the boy a lesson. He was about to let loose when he felt the frantic tug on his arm and he turned an impatient glare her way. Why was she stopping him? Tess's frantic expression broke through his jealousy and he watched her shake her head.

How dare she interfere! He was the King! And his angel was with someone else. She was his. He would prove it. He would stake his claim and make sure everyone knew not to interfere.

He turns back to his angel... and meets her eyes. His body goes stiff as he drowns in those bottomless pools.

He was looking directly into her soul, drowning in her emotions, and he succumbed willingly.

She was everything he could ever want and more. And in that moment, he knew that however long it took, she would be his. He could wait.

And then the boy looked his way and the anger returned. No, it couldn't be!

Max took in the pleading look in the boy's eyes and his anger vanished again. His brother wasn't trying to steal his angel. He should have known better than to doubt him.

~*~*~*~*~

Max turned questioning eyes to the girl beside him when she began tugging him frantically across the room, but understanding filled him when he saw what had caught her eye. It was the same two people who had found them in the desert.

And Tess was practically dragging him toward them. He lost sight of his angel and he swallowed back the urge to run, fight, anything, just to get her back in his line of vision.

"Oh, Phillip, look! It's them!"

Max turned at the sound of the woman's voice. He smiled weakly up at her, as reluctant as he was to be away from his brown haired angel, he felt safe and wanted in this woman's presence.

"I'm so glad you're both here, children," she said softly. "Phillip and I have been discussing it and we've decided that we want to adopt you. Both of you," she informed them tearily.

"Would you like that Max? Tess? Would you like to come home with us?" Phillip asked.

Tess nodded eagerly, throwing her arms around Diane tightly.

Max turned, his eyes scanning the room for another glimpse of the girl. Maybe they could adopt her, too. Then he could keep her close to him. He wouldn't have to worry about anything happening to her.

His heart sank when he saw her, her hand still clutching his, following another man and woman out of the room, and he blinked back tears as he was led away by Phillip and Diane.

tbc...
Christmasnazi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Meant To Be (teen mainly M/L, M/M) chapter 2 9/12/09

Post by Christmasnazi »

more soon. promise!
Christmasnazi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Meant To Be (teen mainly M/L, M/M) chapter 3 11/3/09

Post by Christmasnazi »

thanks too everyone who's been following this. I'll thank each person for their comments in the morning. For now, here's the next very, very, very long chapter.

Chapter 4

"LIZ!"

Pain.

Sharp.

Burning.

So cold.

So tired.

She could vaguely make out the sounds of screaming, but it seemed so far away.

Her thoughts began to drift.

~*~

Drifting, the world grays. She's cold. Searching within herself for warmth, she finds it.

The sun beats down on her, warming her from head to toe.

She is a child again, in the desert with her Gramma. She likes it here. She feels important.

They are digging in the sand, but not playing. That's for babies, and she is a big girl. They are brushing aside the dirt and uncovering the old clay pots.

Her Gramma stands and walks to the mouth of the cave. She wants to go with her, but it is dark in the cave. Her Gramma tells her to wait outside. She wants to be good for her Gramma, so her Gramma will take her places like this again and again. She'll be brave for her, and wait here in the sun.

It's easier to be brave in the sunlight anyway.

Floating, she drifts again.

She is older now, and the dirt she sits in is now a sandbox. There is a girl there, bright and blonde.

The other kids are laughing. They are laughing at the girl. Her clothes are old, and there is a hole in her shoe.

They say she doesn't have a daddy, and that is why she doesn't have nice clothes. They call her poor and are mean to her.

But she is brave. She yells at them and doesn't cry.

Liz wants to be brave like her. She struggles up out of the sand and joins her. She will be her friend, and never make fun of her holey shoes.

~*~

"Liz.... Liz! You have to look at me!" The words barely registering as the memories faded to black.

No fear, no conscious thought...just calm tranquil floating toward a distant brightening light. She was completely unaware of the desperate amber eyes gazing into hers so intently. The light was all there was, and she was drifting closer to its warm, welcoming glow. The soft tendrils of light began to wrap around her, comforting in their peacefulness, drawing her in.

Suddenly she was ripped away from the light, floating back into the shadowy void. "You're all right now. You're all right."

"Max! Keys! Now!" Who was that? She couldn't see.

Wide, shocked eyes stared up into Max Evans's face. Her mind was numb, a jumbled, confused mess. She barely registered the desperate words Max softly spoke to her. She saw him break the bottle of ketchup. Saw him spill it on her uniform.

"You broke the bottle when you fell. Don't tell anyone. Please!"

Her uniform. It slowly registered to her that her uniform was unsnapped. She was exposed to him. Desperately she clutched at the uniform, holding it closed within her clenched fist. She stood and watched him run from the restaurant.

~*~

Michael screeched to a halt in front of the cafe, anxiously waiting for Max to get his ass out of there. He could hear sirens coming closer and felt his heart rate quicken. Damn it, Max. Come on! He still couldn't believe what had just happened.

The gun going off had been surreal enough, but when Max had... had gone and used his powers on Liz... in a restaurant full of customers, no less... He released an audible sigh of relief when Max finally came running out and jumped into the jeep and wasted no time in tearing away.

He swerved sharply, barely missing a blue minivan as the jeep skidded around a corner. He wanted to put as much distance between the diner and himself before he killed Max for being so stupid. We're screwed now, he realized with growing terror. There's no fixing something this big.

Michael picked up speed, desperate to put as many miles as possible between the cafe and the two of them. He ignored Max's protests as they passed the city limits, speeding away from Roswell itself now. It still wasn't far enough. The thought flickered through his mind that nowhere on this miserable planet would be far enough.

"Michael, stop! Where the hell are we going?" Max asked, panic in his voice as he reached for the steering wheel trying to halt their headlong rush.

Michael growled, jerking the wheel and pulling off the road. He was driving into the desert now, but he didn't care. He needed the solitude that the desert could provide. Finally skidding to a stop, Michael jumped from the jeep, pacing restlessly.

His thoughts turned to the countless times he had accompanied Maxwell to the cafe. They always sat in the same booth. Max would make him sit there for hours so he could sit there and watch the girl from afar. He even ordered the same thing every time.

Heaven forbid they should break the routine for even one day. I knew indulging Max in this stupid fantasy of his would get us in trouble. I should have put an end to this a long time ago. "Couldn't we have done something different for once, Maxwell? Taken in a movie, robbed a bank, jumped off a bridge?"

Frustrated by the continued silence, he raised an arm, his hand scratching at his furrowed brow as he tried to think of some way to contain this. Any way to protect their secret and keep them all safe. Any way to convince Max that they had to leave. Now. Tonight.

He tried to fathom how Maxwell could so easily risk their lives for Liz Parker. Hadn't they made the rules together? Hadn't they all agreed it was too dangerous to get close to anyone? That they had to guard their secret by keeping their distance? Never let anyone get close enough to see. The golden rule of Hiding In Plain Sight. "What do you plan to do to fix this Maxwell?" he hissed.

Say something, Max. Tell me you can fix this. Tell me you didn't really just betray us over some stupid crush, he begged silently. Moments that seemed like hours passed in silence. Max's refusal to even admit that he had done something wrong only increased Michael's anger and he let loose, lashing out.

"Don't you even realize what you did today, Maxwell? You've put us all in danger! When they come for us and take us away to study in some government lab... you just remember that you did this!" He glared at his friend, furious that Maxwell couldn't see what he'd done.

Max sighed, sticking his hands in his pockets before retaliating. "Don't go there, Michael. You're the one who always goes off half cocked, not me."

"Not you!? Maxwell you just used your powers in public!" He turned his back on his brother, inhaling deeply as he tried to calm his frazzled nerves. "When have I ever done anything that stupid?"

"I couldn't let her die, Michael. I love her." And he did, Michael realized. It was in every glance, dripping from every word. When did this happen? he wondered frantically. When did our entire exist become connected to Liz Parker?!

Spinning on his heel, Michael glared icily at Max. "Obviously. You proved today that Liz Parker is more important to you than Isabel or me!"

"I didn't say that, Michael!" Max refuted defensively. "Stop putting words in my mouth."

"Doesn't it bother you at all, Maxwell?" Why could he not see reason? It was the only way they could protect themselves from this world and its inhabitants. They were in a hostile environment and Max was still pretending they could get out of Roswell unscathed.

"Doesn't what bother me?" Michael shook his head at the honest confusion he could hear in Max's question.

"The way they see us. Take a good look around, Maxwell, and open your eyes. Isn't it about time you gave up on this impossible fairy tale of yours?" Michael sighed at the hurt look in Max's eyes. "Look, Max. I'm not trying to hurt you here, ok. But you've been living in this... this fantasy world you created where you get the girl and live happily ever after. Wake up, Max. This is the real world. And out here... she's human and you aren't. Out here in the real world, there is no happy ending. And the girl in that fantasy, she's dating the sheriff's son."

"You don't understand, Michael." Taking in his proud stature and the love shining in Max's eyes, Michael bit back a snide remark. "You don't understand how special Liz is. You'll never understand how important she is to me. What it's like to want to put someone else's well being above your own."

"I don't understand, Maxwell?" he asked incredulous. "If there's anyone who understands, it's me. I'm the one who babysits you day after day while you pine away over a girl who will never accept you."

"No, Maxwell," he ground out when Max attempted to deny it. "You know I'm right about this. Liz Parker will never accept you. And even if miracles happened and she did accept you... What about our pact? Have you forgotten the rules we made, Max? Have you forgotten the fact that we're going to leave one day? What happens to your little fairy tale world then?"

"This will be alright, Michael. Liz won't say anything," Max answered confidently.

"Yeah, right, Maxwell. Liz is just gonna pretend nothing happened today. Keep telling yourself that," he scoffed. "You started this, Maxwell. You better fix it before Valenti or the government come sniffing around."

"You'll never understand what's it like, Michael," Max challenged. Does he even realize that he sounds like a broken record? Michael wondered in frustration.

Arching a brow, Michael smirked. "Understand what, Maxwell? Understand loving a complete stranger more than your own family? You're the one who doesn't understand! This has to stop, Maxwell. You have to let go of that damn fantasy and rejoin the real world. Before you bring us all down!" The reality was that they were aliens trapped on a world that would hunt them and kill them and dissect them if they were ever found out. If they were lucky, it would be in that order.

~*~

Safety.

Solitude.

Closing the door behind her, she leaned against it weakly, horrified but what she'd just done. How could she lie to the Sheriff? And her father! Why had she done it? Why had she suddenly turned from Honest, Dependable Liz Parker into someone who could look into Sheriff Valenti's piercing blue gaze and actually lie to his face?

Liz made her way across the room, pausing to see her reflection in the mirror. Her confusion shone brightly in her watery eyes. She had never felt so close to breaking down. She was mesmerized by the blood and ketchup smeared across the midsection of her uniform.

Oh god! Reaching down with shaky fingers she found the small hole that the bullet had left behind. It was true... what did he do to me? Turning away from the mirror, she tore the unwanted reminder from her body as her eyes lit on her backpack and she stuffed the dress inside.

Her eyes burned with unshed tears as she turned back to the mirror. She had been shot. There was no mistake. She should be dead right now. Max Evans. He did something.... what did he do to me? Her eyes widened when she saw her reflection in the mirror. Oh my...she felt her control slipping as her eyes stared in disbelief at the glowing silver handprint.

She stumbled to the bed as her knees threatened to buckle. Sitting heavily on the bed, her mind struggled to grasp all that had happened in the last few hours. She had been shot. She nearly died. Until Max Evans did... whatever he did to her.

She reached a shaky hand to touch the illuminated handprint marring her stomach. Max Evans had somehow.... healed her... and, in doing so, had left this glowing tattoo upon her body.

And now she was lying for him. Keeping a secret she couldn't even comprehend. People did not just walk away unscathed from mortal wounds. That was not the way the universe worked.

Laying back on the bed she stared in disbelief at the handprint, her mind trying to wrap itself around some possible explanation for what had happened to her. But her mind wasn't in any shape to form coherent thought, let alone explain away the impossible situation she found herself in.

She nearly jumped from the bed when the phone on her dresser began to ring. Curling into a small ball on the bed, she ignored the insistent ringing. She couldn't talk to anyone right now.

~*~

Standing under the spray in the shower the next morning, she scrubbed frantically at the handprint on her stomach, whimpering in frustration. She wanted it gone. She just wanted to forget everything that had happened.

Denial, her scientific mind taunted, finally beginning to exert its presence. Stop denying what you know is true, and start figuring out how it happened.

Turning off the shower and grabbing her towel, she stepped from the tub to dry off and dress for school. Plan. She needed a plan. A weak smile curled her lips as she realized that her higher faculties were starting to function normally again. Maybe, just maybe, she'd be okay after all.

She reached for a notebook and a pen. It always helped her to put things down on paper. Perhaps if she just wrote out the facts as she knew them, she'd be able to understand it.

Looking down at the facts she'd written, she just stared at them until they began to blur into an unrecognizable block of text. It was no use. There was no explanation for how Max had healed her, how he had somehow marked her. No explanation for who, or what, Max Evans was.

There really was only one choice. She would have to confront Max. She had known him for years. He was her lab partner in Biology class! She would face him and demand answers from him. If he expected her to keep some secret for him, then she deserved to know what that secret was.

Having a planned course of action made her feel more in control. And right now, she needed to be in control even more than she needed to breathe.

~*~

Liz entered her biology class with some reluctance, despite her earlier conviction. For all her plans to confront Max Evans about... whatever he'd done to her the day before, she hadn't expected the nervous fear that was currently pumping through her veins.

What if Max didn't want her asking questions? Relief flooded through her when she realized that he wasn't there yet. Maybe she wouldn't have to ask him what happened. Suddenly she wasn't sure she even wanted to know.

Nibbling on her lip as Ms. Hardy started class, Liz felt herself beginning to calm. Max was absent. Maybe she could just pretend it never happened. Life could go on like normal. No gun-toting customers. No glowing handprints. And Max Evans didn't do whatever it was he did to her. She was just boring Liz Parker, science geek, and all around small town girl.

And Max Evans was just another classmate.

Liz glanced up when the door opened, and quickly turned her gaze to the suddenly fascinating tabletop, unable to watch as Max entered the room and sat down next to her.

"Mr. Evans. So nice of you to join us."

She risked a quick glance his way. He seemed normal, so why was she suddenly so afraid around him?

Because he's not, she realized. Whoever Max Evans was, he wasn't the same person she'd always thought she knew.

"Everyone on the left, work with the vegetable sample, everyone on the right... take a sample from your cheek."

She was startled when Max stood and asked for a bathroom pass. Maybe he was just as scared as she was? But what was he afraid of? Was he afraid that she'd tell his secret? But how could she? She didn't even know what his secret was.

Taking the toothpick Ms. Hardy handed her, she took a sample from her cheek. Placing it on the slide and under the microscope, the sight that greeted her disbelieving eyes left her mind wandering with unanswered questions.

Her gaze was drawn to Max's pencil and she reached out hesitantly, picking it up and bringing it over. Her scientist's mind took over again. She wanted, needed, to know. Taking a sample she peered through the lens and froze as she tried to grasp what she was seeing.

"What's going on? This can't be happening," she mumbled to herself.

Liz couldn't even look his way when Max finally returned. She could feel her body trembling and prayed he wouldn't notice. She couldn't remember ever being so afraid of anyone in her life. Biting down hard on her lower lip to stifle the whimper of fear threatening to escape, she tried again to make her scientific knowledge squash out the crazy thoughts swimming through her thoughts.

It had to be a mistake. Maybe... maybe she just got the wrong cells. Yes, that had to be it. She'd scraped the wrong cells off his pencil. That would explain everything. If she could just prove that to herself then everything would be okay. Max Evans was just a boy in her class. He was a normal human being just like everyone else. No he's not, a nagging little voice sounded in her head. Normal people can't heal gunshot wounds. They don't bring people back from the dead.

She finally accepted the fact that she couldn't pretend that nothing had happened to her on the floor of the diner. She needed answers and Max was the only one who could give them to her. So she swallowed her fear and she confronted him.

The instant the bell rang Liz was flying through the door, shouting out Max's name as she saw him moving down the hall. Pushing past the throng of students clogging the hallway she finally caught up with Max and dragged him off, looking for someplace where they could talk.

Max agreed to Liz's request and followed her to an empty room. As they were walking, Liz felt Max's hand press to the small of her back to guide her and couldn't stop the body's reaction as it flinched away from his touch.

~*~

She watched his face, suffused with wonder as she lifted her blouse, revealing his handprint upon her stomach. Suddenly, she was incredibly awkward with the intimacy of this gesture. She pulled the hem back to cover her midriff. He had seen enough.

Her heart raced when she admitted to scraping his cells from his pencil. Would he become angry, try to retaliate for this violation of his privacy. She marveled at all the things she didn’t know about Max Evans.

Her knees weakened as he finally admitted that he was an....an....she couldn't even finish the thought in her head.

It was absurd, scientifically impossible. There was no such thing as an alien!

Her fear had grown into outright terror as the truth had begun to sink in. Her mind screamed out for escape. Escape from his presence, from his sphere of influence-perhaps his hemisphere.

For one horrible moment, Max had prevented her from leaving. She'd thought that it was over. That he would do anything at all to save his secret. He told her that she was special, that he saved her because she… was her… but did that mean more to him than the safety of himself and his family? He had saved her in a moment of stunned weakness… what would he do when he had time to analyze the situation?

But he only pleaded with her before finally allowing her to flee.

"You can't tell anyone. Not your parents; not Maria; no one. You don't understand what will happen if you do. Now my life is in your hands."

Her thoughts drifted to Maria, who had confronted her in the girl's bathroom that morning. Maria had found her order book. She had proof that Liz had been shot. She knew that Max had done something to her.

Liz had just denied everything and run from her as quickly as possible. She couldn't tell Maria what Max was. Max had begged her to keep his secret.

~*~

Sitting next to Kyle in the darkened movie theater, Liz's thoughts turned again to Max Evans. She still couldn't believe that Max was an alien. He looks so normal. Aliens are supposed to be slimy and green. There aren't supposed to look like normal teenage boys.

She glanced at Kyle for a moment as her thoughts turned to his father. She was dating the Sheriff's son. How am I supposed to keep this huge secret around Kyle? What if he finds out? What if he tells his dad?

Liz closed her eyes tightly as a shiver of fear danced up her spine. What would happen to me if someone finds out I've been healed by an alien? What if the aliens aren't the only ones the government dissects? What if they decided to cut me open to find out what Max Evans did to me?

Is this the kind of fear Max lives with every day? Liz couldn't imagine living 16 years with that kind of fear ruling her life. I can't do it. No matter how much who-what he is scares me, I can't bring his biggest fear to life. He did save my life, at the risk of his own. I owe it to him to keep his secret.

Liz couldn't remember a single scene of the movie when they left. She barely noticed that she was walking home hand in hand with Kyle. Max Evans ruled her thoughts tonight. She just couldn't get him out of her head. She knew she would have to be careful around Kyle now. She couldn't give him any reason to suspect that anything strange was going on.

She found herself strangely relieved when they reached her apartment. She was too worried about him finding out what had really happened to her to be herself. Reaching the door she sighed softly placed her hand on the door.

"Liz, you've been somewhere else all night."

Oh no. Not now. "Y...your right. I...I'm sorry. I'm just tired tonight. I'll see you tomorrow okay?" Reaching up to get the spare key from it's hiding place, Liz didn't see her shirt ride up, exposing the most damning of evidence to Kyle's eyes.

"Liz?"

Looking down, she cringed inwardly. No! Nonono! What do I do now?

"Oh!" Liz yanked her shirt down, blocking the handprint from Kyle's now frowning perusal. "Good night, Kyle," she forced out stiltedly. She wanted him to leave without asking any more questions. She needed to be alone to think. To figure out some way to explain away what he'd seen without betraying Max's secret.

~*~

Sitting on her balcony, Liz cringed at the thought of Max finding out that Kyle had seen the tattoo he'd left behind when he'd healed her. What would he do if he found out?

"Liz?"

Startled out of her memories, she froze for a moment before standing and slowly moving to the edge to glance down. What she saw was Max Evans. At her home. Late at night.

"I need to talk to you."

Oh god, did he know? Had Kyle left her and gone to confront Max? Had Maria? Or maybe Max just somehow knew that she hadn't kept his secret. Sensed it with his alien abilities.

Was he here to punish her for betraying him?

She met him in the cafe, letting him in, but kept as much distance as possible between them. Even knowing that he'd healed her, that he had saved her life, she was still afraid of him.

Who he was, what he was, terrified her.

"I can't imagine what you must be thinking right now."

Liz had to stifle a hysterical giggle, knowing that if he knew what was racing through her mind at this moment he would be... what? Furious? Terrified? I don't even want to know how you'd react to what I'm thinking right now.

She listened to him admit to seeing her in her cupcake dress and she paled visibly. "I had that dress in Kindergarten. I didn't know you until the third grade. Did you like... read my mind or something?" Oh my god! If he can read my mind then he knows! He knows that Kyle saw my stomach. Is that why he's here? Is he going to kill me?

"No. I can't read minds." Oh thank God! "When I healed you I made this... I don't know, this connection. I got this rush of images." Okay. It's okay. As long as I stay away from him he won't be able to find out. Unless he's lying...

"I've never tried this before... but maybe I can make the connection go the other way."

She wanted to refuse. The thought of letting him that close... She shuddered and looked away, unable to meet his eyes. Looking back up she was shocked to find him right in front of her.

"I need to touch you."

She saw the hope, the longing, in his gaze and found herself unable to refuse. Her voice refused to cooperate and she found herself nodding in mute acceptance. She couldn't escape his gaze as she felt his hands on her face. As she followed his direction and let her mind blank out, images began to appear.

Max and Isabel in the desert, walking hand in hand when they were found. She could feel his fear, his loneliness. She saw Max step off the school bus. Saw him the moment he first saw her. And she felt how drawn he was to her.

More images, all of her, of his emotions concentrated on her. So much love pouring from him every time he so much as caught a glimpse of her. It was...overwhelming. Seeing herself the way Max saw her. Feeling what Max felt for her. It seeped into every inch of her being. It filled every empty space inside her.

"Did it work?"

She nodded, still unable to find her voice. The flashes faded and her mind focused back on reality. Liz was gazing up into the most beautiful amber eyes she'd ever seen. It felt like she was seeing Max Evans for the first time.

tbc...