After the End (CC,ALL,MATURE) Part 13 - 12/07/11 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 9 -03/05/11

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following alone. Sorry for the pause. A big thank you to Mt. Gazer for her beta help in this part as well.

Mary mary- Thanks. Some answers will be gotten faster than others.

Natalie36- Thanks.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks. The baby scene was one that just grew organically. I am glad you liked it.

Ellie- Thanks. And you would be right about those babies. (And it IS twins, btw.) They are Alex. But how? That is the question now. Among others.

Timelord31- Thanks.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. Glad you liked the babies. I certainly had fun writing that scene.

Xmag- Thanks. I am happy you liked that weird little interlude. Their children will start making a larger and larger impact on them as they grow.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

After the End part 10

Tess-

Tess looked over at the still sleeping Alex. Getting Alex up and into the car this morning had been a chore. He had spent a long night talking with Diane and Amy, getting all the information that those two mothers wanted to share with their daughters.

No one had really been comfortable with her there. Which in truth was understandable. Valenti had tried, he really had. But even he had trouble with her.

Kal had never called. He had never sent any messages to the email drops she had set up. But then there had been no activity shutting down her transfer of funds.

He was alive. She knew that. Although from the few reports she had gotten he had become somewhat reclusive. Wasn’t really out directing or producing anything at the moment. The few Hollywood blogs she had checked assumed he had either had some sort of major health issue or had suffered a nervous breakdown.

Tess blinked back a tear. She really would have liked to talk to that cranky old man. He had loved her in his distant way. Making sure she had everything she needed. Not to mention a lot of what she had simply wanted, while making sure she hadn’t been completely spoiled.

This other Tess. The one who had lived here. Tess shuddered. That could have been her. If Nasedo had gotten to her first.

Not spoiled perhaps, but ruthless and manipulative. She had been fed so full of lies which she wanted to believe, that she had betrayed her own family.

Tess shuddered. Just like Ava on Antar.

None of their predecessors had truly been covered in glory. Zan had been too indecisive, too willing to wait and see. Vilandra had been in love. Too willing to let herself overlook some very worrisome aspects in her lover. Rath, too much of a hot head to rationally deal with the fact that Vilandra loved another, no matter what the Families might have wanted.

Ava had been so sure of herself. So certain that she was on top of it all. That her manipulations of everyone in Court would be for the best for herself and her husband.

Such a fool. She had made everything worse. Had caused it all to build up to explosive levels, so sure she could contain it. So certain that she could direct the coming revolution, to channel the coming storm.

Ava had failed utterly. Just as Tess had.

Tess gripped the wheel tightly. But she was not that Tess. She was not the madwoman who had been determined to make the same mistakes all over again. Kal had made sure of that.

But how could she convince the people they were rapidly approaching of this? That she wasn’t the Tess they had known?

That they could trust her. That they didn’t have to fear her meddling with their lives. That she was their friend.

And that they could love her.

Another tear slipped by. She missed her family. The one she had gained when she had come to Roswell. But she was afraid that this time it would not be so simple.

That instead of their love she would have their hate.

And worse. That Kyle would hate her. Losing the girls would hurt. Losing gruff Michael, who she had spent so much time training that awkward summer. All so that he could safely be with Maria. Or Max, who had treated her as a true confidant as she had healed the wounds he had suffered at Pierce’s hands.

So many changes between this world and that. Alex, she knew, would fit right in. She expected that they would be so very happy to have him again.

Every flash she had managed to procure during her quiet scavenging around Roswell had pointed that out. She had even left a flower at this Alex’s grave and apologized for her alternate.

Would asking for forgiveness from the others be as simple?

Tess drove on.

-----
Maria

Maria hopped out of the car to follow Max. She paused for a moment as a wave of nausea washed over her. She looked down at her stomach, “Calm down there baby. Nothing to worry about. Mommy will get some sleep later today. I will even get something to eat, assuming you let me keep it down.”

Max looked back, “Are you alright Maria?”

“I am fine. The little one is annoyed I think, that mommy is still up, but for Isabel…. Come on let’s go.”

Max scanned the line of dark motel rooms. “I swear I am going to have a long talk with Kyle about all this.”

“They are both adults, Max. If I am right, and they are having an affair, what exactly do you plan on doing about it? Seriously Max, is it really fair for us to come down on them like this when they're the only couple not paired up? Shouldn’t we be happy for them?

Max sighed as they walked towards Isabel and Kyle’s room, “It’s not that. It is the secrecy of it all. And if you are wrong… If Khivar is truly involved….”

Maria looked away, “Yeah. And Isabel did sound so sure of it. But I still say the girl is pregnant, and that’s not something that can just happen in a dream.” She laughed a little, “Plus, they look cute together. And they got the best friends thing down.”

Max nodded.

They walked in silence for a few moments longer before both of them were standing right in front of the door. Max stared at it, and licked his lips.

Maria just rolled her eyes and knocked.

“Come in,” came Kyle’s calm voice.

Maria frowned. He hadn’t been calm at all when he had called. She looked up at Max.

Max nodded and lifted his hand. Maria could feel a sense of force building up in that palm, ready to shield or blast as needed.

Maria opened the door. The bathroom lights were on, but the bedroom was mostly dark. On one bed, Kyle was seated in what looked like an almost painful position. His eyes were closed.

But she knew Kyle. He was aware, and even from that position could move pretty damn quickly.

It still rankled that he was better at yoga than she was. That just wasn’t fair!

She caught her breath and saw Max hurry over to the other bed. For the glow in the bedroom came from Isabel’s lower abdomen.

Isabel twisted a bit, arching her back. Her bare breasts seemed flushed under the golden light from her belly. Her whole body seemed covered in a sheen of sweat.

Maria glared at Kyle, stalked past a stunned Max, and went to cover up her friend.

Kyle’s eyes flitted open, “Maria. No!”

Max just blinked, uncertain of what to do.

Maybe his alien senses allowed him to see something Maria couldn’t. Because Maria only wanted to help her friend maintain a little dignity. So she raised the sheet, resting over Isabel’s lower half, to cover her

As she placed the sheet on the sweaty hybrid woman, she was flung across the room. She could feel as her body buzzed with energy. She was shivering and shuddering as she came to a full stop. Slamming hard into the corner of the dresser.

So much pain. Her mind was filled with it. That and the desire to make sure that this never happened again. Because she was going to kill Michael for doing this to her.

“Maria keep it up, I can see the baby’s head. One more push.”

Maria pushed.

She heard two high-pitched voices give a gurgling coo as they welcomed their friend into the world…

Maria hurt.

“Maria, look into my eyes. Come on, damn it. Michael will kill me for letting you get hurt as it is. If you die....”

A mischievous teenage girl looked down at her. “Wakey, wakey, Mom. Uncle Max has something important to give you.”

Maria muttered, “Can’t you see how tired I am. Just let me sleep in peace.” She closed her eyes and felt as the pain began to drift away.

“Sorry, Mom. I want to be born, and let’s face it, Dad would be lost without you. So open your eyes.”

Maria grumbled. The things she did for her oldest….

Maria opened her eyes and felt the pain from her shattered body. She so wanted to close them again, to regain that peace.

But a pair of golden tinged brown eyes kept her there. She could feel as a force rushed into her and the pain began to fade. She looked up in wonder as Max healed her.

Kyle’s voice was soft, “I had already tried, Maria.”

Maria didn’t care. She reached up and grabbed Max’s collar. “Like mirrors, Max. They will be like polished golden mirrors.” And she closed her eyes and slept.

-------
Kyle

Kyle lifted and placed Maria on the other bed. He looked over at a seemingly emotionless Max. “I did try to warn her.”

Max nodded and waved him over to the other side of the room. “What exactly is going on here?”

Kyle wiped his face wearily, “I wish I knew. Isabel has been having some intense dreams lately….”

“Maria mentioned she had overheard Isabel mentioning Khivar...”

Kyle glanced over at Maria. “I suppose we were acting strangely enough for her to start spying on us. Just her nature.” He looked over at Max.

It took a while to read the man. It always did. Max tried to hold in his own emotional reactions to a degree that made Michael look soft. Always tried to remain calm and in control.

But Max Evans had a temper. A fairly wicked one if you got on the wrong side of him. The man was too controlled to let himself lash out. But it was there.

Max closed his eyes for just a moment and sighed, “Kyle, just tell me everything.”

Kyle nodded, “A bit more than a week ago, Isabel and I suddenly felt different.”

“This is when Liz had her vision?”

Kyle shook his head, “A little before it. The same day, but a bit earlier.” Kyle looked away for a moment. “It felt like a switch was being turned on. Like I suddenly felt connected with someone.” Kyle chuckled ruefully, “For a split second we thought it might be each other. But that wasn’t so.”

“So you are not the father then?”

“Father?”

Max looked sternly at Kyle, “Isabel is pregnant. Twins. Do you know who the father might be?”

Kyle shook his head, “It isn’t me, Chief. Both of us were on a bit of a dry spell when those Bonds opened up. And I think I know who holds the other ends, even if that doesn’t help us with Isabel.”

Max nodded. “Tess for you I presume?”

Kyle looked over at Maria again, “Yeah. But not our Tess. A different one.”

“That is convenient for her. Given what she has done to us.”

“Yeah, but when she dream walked me last night, I could tell. It is not the same girl. It isn’t Ava either. But really and truly a different Tess.” Kyle held his breath for a moment. “And she said it wasn’t Khivar on the other end for Isabel either.”

“Who then?”

Kyle sighed, “Alex. Their world’s Alex. And he was linked tightly to your sister in that other world. Very tightly. It is why her dreams have been so intense.”

Max sighed and looked at his sister. “Why now? Right when we have finally found a place to catch our breath.”

Kyle sat there a moment. "We are in trouble, aren't we Max?" He nodded worriedly, "With both Maria and Isabel pregnant at the same time...."

Max nodded thoughtfully, “Yes. All three of them at the same time. It makes you wonder. Is this an alien thing, or are we being set up?”

Kyle’s eyes grew wider, “Liz too?”

Max nodded.

“Congratulations, man.”

“Thanks. I just wish I knew that we were safe.”

Kyle coughed. “About that Max. The alternate Alex and Tess. They are coming to find us.”

“How?”

Kyle’s voice was soft, “Could you truly hide from Liz if she wanted to find you?”

Max was silent. But Kyle already knew the answer.

Because he could feel Tess growing steadily closer to them as they spoke.

He closed his eyes. Not much longer now.

------
Isabel-

Isabel took a sip of her orange juice and smiled at her grim looking brother. Isabel had demanded they stop for something to eat. She was simply famished.

An IHOP more than sufficed. Better than fast food anyway.

She still didn’t believe she was pregnant, although she was certain that something was happening to her. But pregnant? Tess, their real Tess had assured her that getting pregnant in a dream was impossible. And outside of some really good dream sex, Isabel hadn’t had any for a while.

Sad really.

Max pushed the remaining scrambled eggs on his plate around with a piece of toast. Kyle was looking at his plate as if contemplating ordering more. As was Maria.

Isabel asked, “Are you okay?”

Maria’s voice was happy, “I don’t feel nauseous at all. Whatever your brother did, it seems like it made Mikayla a little less picky.”

Isabel looked down at her plate. She really had blasted Maria. “I’m so sorry, Maria. You know I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

Maria chuckled, “I just got hit at the wrong angle. Probably just would have wounded my pride if I hadn’t hit that dresser.”

Isabel winced. Her chest was still sore. But Maria had given her a cream that had helped immensely.

Max was quiet, “You will need to be careful. Tess said that her powers were harder to control when she had Zan. It could be that your pregnancy won’t diminish them like it did hers, just make them… uncoordinated.”

Isabel glared at her brother. “I am NOT pregnant. DO you hear me, brother mine?” She couldn’t help a tear begin to slide down her cheeks.

Kyle’s voice was friendly, but more than a little sarcastic, “Let’s see. Rapid mood swings. Breast tenderness.”

“Impossible. As for my mood swings, my period is due any day now. Maybe it is just a little PMS.”

Kyle shook his head, “Uh, no. I spend lots of time with you, Isabel. Trust me. You are a lot less weepy and hell of lot more scary during that time of the month.”

Max just nodded.

Maria glared at both of them. “Men.”

Isabel stood up. Her voice started low, almost conversational. But at the end she was biting back words in a harsh stage whisper, “I don’t care what any of you think. It simply isn’t possible. I haven’t had sex. Therefore I cannot be pregnant. Simple biology.” She looked over at Kyle, “And yes, there are those dreams. But the man is dead. I wish he were here. I would screw the man until he couldn’t walk. Then we could talk pregnancy.”

Kyle sighed and tried to place his hand on hers to calm her.

Isabel recoiled at his touch; she only wanted to feel one man right now.

Kyle said softly, trying to get her back into control. “Its true Iz. Tess is with him, and she dreamwalked me last night. They are on the way. It’s just a matter of time.”

She stared at him, the venom nearly dripping from her lips, as her hand subconsciously rested on her belly.

Isabel was in full rage mode, her voice still controlled but uncaring that she was easily becoming the focus of the entire restaurant.. “D-E-A-D. DEAD. And no dream no matter how fucking awesome is going to make me pregnant. SO I don’t care what you think or what you see. It is NOT true.” Isabel burst into tears.

Max stood up.

Isabel waved him off and got away from the table. “Don’t come near me. Any of you. I just need to go outside and think okay. Leave me alone!”

Isabel fled the scene, angrily brushing away the tears that would not stop. There was an odd sense of elation and electricity that filled her and fed the odd emotional extremes.

A few other people tried to come up and offer aid or assistance. She simply glared at them until they left her alone.

It was simply impossible. All of it.

She ran out the main door, determined to finish the tears, and smacked right into another person.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw a petite blonde woman speak with the person she had just hit.

No it was impossible. Simply impossible

Until he said her name with such a mixture of longing and despair, "Isabel?"

Which meant that everything she had just learned was true. EVERYTHING.

She tittered lightly.

Could it truly be...

Alexander Charles Whitman was alive and well and holding her steady. She could feel her heart begin to pound. Her stomach was fluttering with the sensations she had felt only through her dreams. She pulled away from his arms a bit. And stared at the man before her.

This was real.

She opened her mouth to say something. To say anything.

But she couldn’t.

Alex’s eyes were a mix of lust and guilt and shame. She could see instantly that he wanted her. This close she imagined she could almost feel his heart race. Could almost feel his pulse pound.

Closer. She needed to be closer.

She reached out to touch him.

Alex grasped her hands. “We can’t. I can’t. Not now. Not in the real world. I can’t betray her...”

“I don’t want to hurt you. I hurt my Alex too much." Her heart locked in a mix of lust and joy. She did not move. Could not pull away.

Isabel could feel a prickling sensation course down her body from those tiny touches. She moved one of her fingers in his grasp and placed it lightly on a pressure point. To feel his heart race. She couldn’t help a tiny giggle of happiness escape. “You are here. A second chance to do it right....” She felt as her stomach did a few flip-flops. She moved closer.

More. She needed more.

Isabel bit her lip and tried to control herself. This was insane. Even if he was Alex, there was no saying what the man, this man was like. Just looking at him, you could see he wasn’t quite the same sweet guy she had hurt so badly in high school.

But those differences intrigued her. How much would she have groomed Alex if she had not been so frightened of him? What would the man have been like?

Certainly much of the fear and self-doubt seem burned out of him. Confident. No longer the gangly teen.

Interesting.

One of his hands caressed her cheek. “You seem so different. So less hard. Almost kind.”

Her voice was full of emotion as she said, “I’ve always been kind.”

Alex nodded, “To those in need. Noblesse oblige. But hard and ruthless toward others. Willing to use people when you have to. Like you used Jesse.”

Isabel winced. But it was true. She could see it now, reflected in Alex’s hazel eyes. Eyes that always saw through her. A quick glance inside of him could see changes. This Alex had been asked to give up so much more than she had ever asked of her Alex.

And he had given it. He had given up his dreams to support hers. And now she was gone and dead and he was completely adrift. More alone in many ways than she had been when her own Alex had died.

How long they stood there, communing with each other. Living each other’s lives as flash after flash poured into them. They did not know. Only that to them it was an eternity that would bind them forever

Finally, Isabel said, “She would forgive you. She would understand. I should know. Sometimes it is just time to move on. No matter how painful.”

Alex’s voice was as soft, “You did not forget me. You just needed someone to bury the pain.

They were very close now. She was privately wishing she had time to brush her teeth, or at least pop a few mints. “This is completely and totally insane Alex.”

Alex kissed her and the worries faded. He pulled a little away, stared at the parking lot. “I want you. But not here.”

“You are mine, Alex. A second chance for both of us.” She glanced at the parking lot in return, “I don’t suppose your car has a heavy tint?”

Alex arched his brow, "Tinted windows in my car? My dear, I can give you the whole world!" Alex swept an arm across the parking lot. His mouth slipped into a lopsided grin, "The question is, do you trust me?"

She looked up at him. This was insane. She didn’t even really know this man. Except that in some ways she knew him better than anyone she had ever known. Biting her lip she answered with a nod. “Yes.”

Alex kissed her. And she felt as her entire body began to warm. As it began to feel like warmed honey on a hot summer day.

Hotter and hotter.

Too hot for her clothing. So she consciously left it behind.

She felt herself burst. And the world went away.

And there was only Alex and his warm skin against hers. She pulled him closer and they began to explore.

The real world came back into focus. A different place. A bed underneath them. That liquid honey feeling still filling her, magnifying every touch.

And they made love, uncaring of the occasional changes in scenery and lighting.

Concerned only with the other.

And in each other’s arms they found bliss.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 10 -03/25/11

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone reading along. This chapter is a little brief, but hopefully it kick starts it again in my mind. Trying for a part every two weeks. Wish me luck.

Ellie- Thanks. Tess and Kyle will have a tougher road.

Timelord31- Thanks.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks. The biggest problems this Tess is going to have to face is the hatred for the actions of another. This Tess is nice and sweet, sort of what she could have been before they started the Prom cycle of stories in season 2. She never wanted Destiny or Max. But Valentinebaby below is right, they will still hate her.

Valentinebaby- Thanks. You are right about their resources. They have less. In the first world they had alien contacts and assistance, in addition to direct federal help. None of that here. Here they are being stalked by the government. So on that end things seem dark.

As for the others…. Poor Tess. She is going to have a hard time. And Isabel is going to be a little confused. Welcome aboard, I hope you continue to enjoy.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

After the End part 11

Isabel

Isabel was on fire as and the alternate Alex consummated their desired second chance.

There was no up or down, no left or right. They were not in any one place long enough for it to matter. The only thing that mattered was in and out, and the rhythm as they built towards completion.

But they did move. She could feel it in the consistency of the surfaces her back rested upon briefly. Beds mostly at first. The occasional flash of a field. The hardness of solid rock underneath her. A flash of the new Granolith Chamber.

Where Alex had reentered her life.

Isabel had an opportunity here. Not just to forge a life bond, not just for a second chance. But for some fun.

Her mind flashed images to his and he took them there.

For a few full seconds, Isabel rode Alex on her father’s mahogany conference table.

She had always wanted to do that, but Jesse had never had the guts to go through with it. It wasn’t like they had to do it in the middle of the day or something…..

The door to the room opened and her father’s secretary came in, “What is going on in here?”

Alex and Isabel vanished, leaving only breathless giggles.

Isabel landed ass deep in the snow. Some skiing trip Alex had been on. “Cold….”

Splash! Warmer, but still cold water sprayed over their writhing bodies. A beach somewhere….

So much more to do.

But Isabel could feel herself begin to tip. Could feel the plateaus edge. So very close.

They needed somewhere safe.

So she took him home.

They pulled each other over the edge, both gasping for breath as the ecstasy took them. And more. Isabel could feel herself, feel her very essence plait and tie to Alex’s.

She felt an odd almost existential pain amidst the pleasure as parts of her soul filled the groves left behind by his other Isabel. A glove that almost fit.

She had loved him. That Isabel could tell. But that Isabel’s love had not been as hard fought or won as hew own. The memories lingered, and she did not try to move them. They were part of him, and she accepted it.

As he accepted her own failed attempts at love.

Alex shifted his weight off of her. “I love you.” And promptly fell asleep.

Isabel stared up at the ceiling of her room. Funny how she equated their new place with safety. But there truly had been no sign of the enemy.

Safe.

She rubbed her belly, knowing that even now it was preparing itself for pregnancy. She knew herself well enough that she wanted it, wanted desperately to be a mother in this life that her body would manipulate itself to make it so.

Except…. Alex’s seed from this encounter would not bite.

Because she was already pregnant. Isabel basked in wonder at the two fetuses sleeping inside her, hand in hand.

“What am I going to do?”

------
Agent Thomas

Agent Thomas just stared at the two sleeping lovers. “And you got all of this action on tape?”

Agent Carlyle nodded. “They appeared first about twenty minutes ago. Flickered in and out a couple of times over a ten to fifteen minute period. Then just stopped here. The guy is asleep. Sensors indicate Isabel is likely still awake but drowsy.”

Thomas nodded, “So it looks like we have our Khivar. Have you found anything out about him?”

“Not a peep, sir.”

He activated the intercom to the lab, “Cassidy, tell me the Spooky was up and operative.”

“Cataloguing the data, sir. It will take me a little time before I can seriously analyze it. But the basics, I have.”

“I will expect a report within the hour that I can pitch to SAC Archos. Good job people.”

Thomas watched a loop of the action, watching as the two lovers flickered in and out of the room. As air and moisture from other locals followed them.

Teleportation.

On film.

Agent Thomas had long known that a few incautious remarks had placed him in this somewhat dead end position. But with this….

The world had just changed.

-------
Maria

Maria’s eyes were still on the retreating Isabel.

Kyle restrained her. “She just needs a little space, Maria.”

Maria glared at him and a biting comment was right on her tongue when she noticed a mixed look of longing and worry flash across his face, “What is it?”

“They are here.”

Max said, “Excuse me?”

Maria looked up and for a second time was rendered speechless. Alex.

There were differences, yes. He seemed harder and tougher, less open. But still… Alex.

Max placed a hand on hers, ‘They are real>“

Kyle said sardonically, “Yes they are. Now we just have to figure out what we are going to do about it.”

A well dressed blonde walked up and smiled. She looked familiar. “Hi, guys. I am Tess Langley. You knew my sister.”

Maria hissed and pulled back. Another Tess Harding. Did they need to get both to get the one?

Kyle sighed, “You know it is going to be hard.”

Tess looked pained but kept smiling, “Max. I am sorry for any grief my other self might have caused you and Liz, but it wasn’t me. I just want you all to give me another chance.”

Max looked at her and said, “You hurt us pretty bad last time you were here…..”

Maria looked at Kyle and Max, “HARD? IMPOSSIBLE is closer! You are aware that this bitch is the one who made all of our lives hell? She killed Alex. She is part of the reason Valenti lost his job. And you, Kyle. She broke your heart. Used you to carry your friend’s body to the car. Do you remember that? On the night where the bitch tried to steal all our friends away to the bloody deaths at Khivar’s hands?” She watched them to see if her tirade was sinking in. “And then, when we finally start to get things under control again, she returns and drags the Army back into everything.”

Maria stood up and tapped her feet, “DO you have any idea the number of people she killed?” She walked right up into Tess’s face, “Between a little hand to hand slice and dice to save her baby, and a big boom to cover her tracks, probably over a hundred. Her hands are black with the blood of innocents. So I say we vote her off the island before we make the trip!”

Kyle sighed, “Maria….”

“NO! She KILLED Alex!”

Tess’s face was crumpled up, a heroic attempt to keep her aplomb failing under the strain. “This Tess didn’t.” Her voice was soft and pained, “I just want someone to not hate me! But whoever I was when I lived in this world….”

Kyle walked over to hold Tess.

“No, I won’t cost you your friends. Maybe another time. When I am more composed.” Tess started walking out of the restaurant.

Max asked quietly, “Where is Isabel?”

Maria looked toward the entrance. “She and Alex are gone.”

“Where did they go?”

Maria looked over at Max, “What if this was a set up. What if it truly was Khivar looking to snatch your sister.”

“And used Tess to distract.”

They watched a visibly sobbing Tess stagger out into the parking lot.

Maria said, “We have to catch her.”

-------
SAC Archos

She sat there reading the file that had been placed on her desk no more than five minutes ago.

She looked at one of the pictures. “So…. I didn’t expect to run into you. Still causing me headaches, aren’t you Mister Whitman.”

She looked through the rest of the package. At some of the preliminary findings that Cassidy felt strong enough to divulge.

SAC Archos had contact who could use this data. Government contracts that would see what it could glean from this new potential field of technology.

With enough friends in high enough places, with enough wealth or power, she could finally have what she truly desired.

Her old life back.

She keyed the intercom for her secretary. “Glennis, I need you to clear my schedule for next week. I have an unexpected need to be in the field.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

She killed the intercom.

“Well Alex. Looks like one of life’s little ironies is that you might be able to return to me what you unknowingly took from me…..

-----
Tess

Tess glared at the car in front of them. Kyle had actually let them tie her up. Which was stupid. Her powers came from her brain. Tying up her hands might slow her a little but not by much.

Unless they didn’t know any better and were still using hand gestures to do things.

A horrible habit.

Tess closed her eyes and tried once more to calm herself so she could pretend she was sleeping. But she was so frustrated. These people, the people who should be her friends were so stupid.

She had told them Alex could teleport anywhere he had been. That he would never hurt Isabel, any Isabel, the poor love struck fool. If anything they were likely off having a fine time.

No. They wanted to use her as a hostage to make sure Isabel was returned safely.

Had these idiots acted like this when her alternate had shown up? Had they been as warm and welcoming?

No wonder their Tess had been such a bitch.

Tess had already planned her escape should she need it. It would be remarkably easy as neither Kyle or Maria had powers. Well, Kyle had a few defensive things but mostly he was too weak to count. Maria was wide open. And it was taking a lot of will power not to do something to the woman.

Why would the other hybrids let such a potential weakness into their household? Was Liz also powerless?

It didn’t make any sense. Sure you didn’t want to just activate just anyone’s powers. Trust was key. But you would think they trusted their loved ones better.

Tess wasn’t sure how things were going, but Alex had a lot of explaining to do.

He was after all her protector.

She would wait for him for a little while. But if he didn’t come back. If he just took Isabel and started over…..

She would do the same. It would be hard.

But better that than unrelenting hatred from everyone else. She shot Kyle’s vehicle one last glare. She’d had hoped…..

What would be would be. She even promised not to hurt anyone when she left.

For now she would wait. Would see what happened next. And hope.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC,ALL,MATURE) Part 10 -05/01/11

Post by PML »

Sorry guys for taking so long. Plus I lost all the feedback. Hope you enjoy.

After the End part 12

Kyle-

Kyle drove on ahead, bemused at what fate had thrown him.

She was real. His dream Tess was real.

And it had taken a lot of fast talking just to keep Maria from attempting to kill the woman. Kyle had been happy when Max had suggested tying the poor woman up. Maria had been positively gleeful at the idea.

Maria probably hadn’t thought it through, although a glance at Max made Kyle sure Max knew. Those ropes were basically useless. Just made the other Tess more uncomfortable.

He glanced over at the other car, by chance catching a glare from Tess. Yeah. His next talk with her was likely to be unpleasant. But then it had been Alex who had taken off with Isabel.

Isabel was Kyle’s best friend. And while he trusted Tess, and he did. He wasn’t positive he could trust this Alex.

If you could have a good and trust worthy Tess, then surely an evil Alex was possible too.

Plus there was a lingering bit of jealousy. He had basically been carrying a torch for Isabel for several years now. One that she had acknowledged but essentially ignored.

Alex was likely off doing things with Isabel that Kyle had until not to long ago desired to do with the beautiful blonde. The mere fact that this Tess was probably a better fit, someone he could get along with better, didn’t figure into his stupid jealousy. And it was stupid.

He knew that. But it was still there.

And they drove on.

-----
Michael-

Michael had been on edge tonight. It was more than just being separated from Maria. For a moment he had felt as if he were losing her. And then she snapped back as firmly or more so than before.

Sometimes these bonds did more to unease than settle one’s mind. But he was grateful for them.

He was wasting time watching an old hockey game, but his mind wasn’t really in it. It was more concerned with whatever had driven Isabel and Kyle to such extremes. It was one thing to believe you had an old flame coming to town, but when that person included someone who was dead and buried, and the girl who had killed him. Well you usually at least talked with your roommates and comrades before heading out to meet them.

He would have liked to think that he had matured enough to do so. But he was pretty damn sure if a chance to be with Maria came up and he hadn’t seen her in years he’d be out the door before anyone knew it.

Oh, he understood Isabel and Kyle. He just wished they had gone about it more sensibly.

Liz sat down quietly on the couch next to him. She was very still almost serene. It both amused and annoyed him, this self assurance of hers that she knew more than anyone else. Like she had a private line to God.

But then with her abilities she effectively did.

Michael gruffly said, “What did you see?”

Liz looked up at him and smiled, “I need you to do me a favor. I need you to go up to Isabel’s room and wake her. Do not awaken Alex. The tau lines when he wakens are… messy.”

Michael looked up towards Isabel’s room. His gaze flashed to the door, “But?”

Liz smiled softly, “This Alex has special gifts. And training. A battle between the two of you would be tragic, with an even chance of one of you dying.”

“Let me guess, he kicks my ass.”

Liz shook her head, “You are stronger than he is. But he knows what he is doing. Just avoid the chest pounding and get Isabel, okay?”

Michael grumbled and raced up the steps. The sooner this was done the better. How had Isabel gotten back here? And with Alex? He knew that Isabel thought they were going to meet….

Michael opened the door. Two bodies lay intertwined, the smell of sweat and sex heavy in the room. He closed the door. He looked downstairs.

Liz wanted him to fetch Isabel while she was like this? Isabel would likely kill him when she heard she had seen her naked and sprawled with her lover.

And he was supposed to do it without waking the guy? That cut out knocking at the door.

Michael spent a few minutes trying to come up with a subtle way to solve his problems. One was lurking just beyond his thoughts.

Michael sighed. Okay. Maybe if Maria had been here she could have prompted the subtle option. Time for a Michael option.

Michael walked into the room and lightly placed his hand a few inches from the guys head. And fried him. Oh, not enough to kill. But he would be out for a while.

And the headache would be a killer.

Isabel could only kill him once after all. Her cheeks and the upper parts of her breasts were flushed. He tapped her shoulder. “Get up. Liz wants to speak with you.”

Isabel opened her eyes. They were full of happiness and glory for all of three seconds before she realized she was speaking with Michael. In her own room. With Alex laying beside her.

She turned to face Alex and saw him twitching. She glared up at Michael, and drew herself together. A robe came flying across the room and she belted it around her. “I presume you have something to say for yourself before you die?”

Michael raised his hands up, “Liz told me to get you and only you. Said your playmate would get frisky and dangerous if I woke him up. So I, uh, kept that from happening.”

Isabel whipped around and examined Alex. “You are going to pay for this Michael. I swear. I thought you had out grown this stupidity!”

“Have you ever known Liz to be wrong, Iz? She said waking him had a fifty-fifty chance of someone DYING. So. Yeah, I wish I could have thought of something else. But at least the problem is pushed a little further into the future.” Michael shook his head. “Just because it’s stupid doesn’t make the worst possible option.”

Isabel’s eyes were goggling, “You could have, I don’t know, patted me on the shoulder. Or tried to wake me. Something a normal functioning person would try.”

“I couldn’t risk it. Come on, Liz will be waiting.”

And she had better have a good reason!

------
Liz-

Liz sighed as she felt some tau lines flicker and die and others become more likely. Maybe she should have gone herself. But the tau lines that had lead from that had not been as encouraging.

Things were about to get complicated. From bits of conversation she would have in the future she already knew some of Alex and Tess’s situation. More and more she believed the vision she had experienced had not been a flash of a future event but actual witnessing of the destruction of their Earth.

But Alex still carried a tang of doom and destruction about him. Liz had expected it to hang about Tess, but no. As far as Liz could tell, the Tess that had come from that timeline was a sweet as she pretended to be.

Sweeter maybe. She would likely make Kyle a very happy man if he let her. If the mistrust and destruction wrought by this world’s Tess could be overcome.

And that would not be easy. Not for anyone, including herself. But she swore that she tried.

She opened her phone. “Max? Sweetie?”

Maria would answer. She knew as soon as the words had left her mouth. They were driving and Max was at the wheel. The man was too cautious to risk an accident from a moments carelessness.

Maria said, “Liz? Is everything okay?”

Liz closed her eyes as variations of what the conversation would be rushed into her. Only a few people could block her, and even then only in the moment to moment sense. Max could, thankfully. Their arguments were actually arguments. With most people Liz could always sense the right words to say.

Maria didn’t have the ability to block her.

Liz knew even before she spoke what they had done to Tess. “Maria. Untie Tess. All of you come on home.”

“But someone has stolen Isabel….”

“Calm down. Isabel is here. Asleep. I have Michael fetching her now.”

“But how?”

“Not important. Get home, now.” Her stomach rumbled. “Pick up some food on the way. We will need it.”

Maria’s voice was soft and sad, “Do we need to run again?”

Liz closed her eyes and let the labyrinthine wall of tau lines fill her sight. Care was needed, as it was almost impossible to track a single line to far from the present. You could sense a trend or wave, but not the specific line until you got very close.

And in so many of the future tau lines she could see some or all of them living in this town for years. Sometimes for the rest of their lives. She couldn’t tell if they were happy or content or if something horrible kept them here. But she did sense a level of permanence that she had felt only in Roswell.

But lingering in so many of the tau lines was the deaths of countless billions. And those tau lines all connected to Alex.

Liz loved that she would have another chance with Alex, that she could know that gentle soul again. But she would have to remember that this man was not the same man she had known all those years growing up.

Just as this Tess was different and would if allowed shed a level of light and happiness into their lives, so to this Alex would need to be watched.

But for now she needed to answer Maria, “We are safe for now. Come on home.”

“I love you, Liz.”

“Love you to Maria, and tell Max….” Liz thought for a moment. “Give the phone to Tess for just a moment.”

“Are you sure?”

“Maria!”

“Right, sorry.” She heard a little conversation as Maria loosed Tess’s bonds and gave the phone to her.

Liz’s heart almost stopped when she heard Tess’s voice. It was odd though. It wasn’t accented quite the same, but it was the same no nonsense tone. “What do you want. I have to say I am not feeling welcome. Do you folks want me to come with you or shall I go my separate way?”

Liz sighed, “Tess. Have you heard what your counterpart did when she was alive.”

There was a moment of silence, “Yes.”

“This will be hard for all of us. But, for me, welcome home.” Liz paused a moment, savoring the silence on the other end. “It will take time, but we will love you for you as you deserve. I hope you will accept my apologies.”

Liz heard only a sob and the line went dead.

Liz closed her eyes and let a few tears fall. Such simple words to say. Simple true words.

And yet she knew that Tess had heard her sincerity. That she knew that at least one of the people she had considered family would be willing to give her a chance.

That she wasn’t hated by everyone.

Liz waited for Isabel.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC,ALL,MATURE) AN -10/26/11

Post by PML »

Well my November hiatus is over, and I am sad to say I failed. Still finishing the story, and there is always next year. Can't win them all I guess. Anyway, on with my normal scheduled broadcasts, er posts.

Ellie- Thanks. And yeah, Michael might need to hide...

keepsmiling7- Thanks

roswellian117- Thanks

jojotherorange- Thanks.

timelord31- Thanks

smac- Thanks. Oh, those answers are coming.

hypnotiqblueeyes- Thanks

Mt. Gazer- Thanks.

After the End part 13

Tess

Tess sobbed uncontrollably. She couldn’t help it. Those simple words, from one who in this world had been her chief rival and enemy. Welcome home.

And Liz had meant it. Tess could tell. How could she not? Her main power was based on the balance of the perception of truth and lies. Lying to her was usually doomed to failure.

Too bad half-truths worked. They certainly had on her counterpart from this world. That Tess had been so certain of her knowledge, so very sure that she knew the truth. When in reality her very arrogance had kept her from realizing how limited the information she truly had was.

By the time her sister in life had realized the truth of her position she had already done too much damage to recover from. If she had only bent just a little to tell them about the brain damage she had accidently done to Alex, if only she had let them heal him. Assuming it could have been healed.

Once the boy had been dead, Tess Harding had very little options that didn’t end badly for her. Including the insane idea of returning to a Khivar held Antar. Even if Khivar had held up his end of the bargain, their lives would have been hell.

No she, Tess Langley had been lucky. Lucky that Kal had taken her in and not Aric. And she would prove to these new friends that they could trust her. That she was worthy of that trust.

That she was different. She wasn’t a danger to them.

And they could love her. Could be the family that she had had on that other Earth. Not perhaps exactly the same. But family nevertheless. She had never felt so lonely before. Not since hatching from her pod late and finding the others gone.

But Kal had been there with a blanket. He had quietly taken care of her.

How she missed his cranky loyalty.

Perhaps someday….

Until then she would start with Liz’s welcome home.

Tess buried her knees and cried soft tears for the past and the world now gone, and for the chance to make her place in this one. Hope and sorrow mingling together seamlessly, much like life.

--
Maria

Maria looked at her nemesis sitting in the back as she wailed and rocked back and forth holding the phone. What had Liz said to her?

Maria turned to Max, “Liz said to head home and bring food.”

Max shot her a quick grin, “All clear, huh?”

Maria sighed, “I guess. But what about her?” Maria nodded toward the backseat.

Max sighed himself, his face becoming worried. “I guess we take her home with us. Liz wouldn’t lead us astray. Not after she has guided us through so much other trouble.” He paused a moment. “And, I don’t know.” He shot her another look. “Doesn’t she seem different to you? I mean think back, remember what Tess was like. Doesn’t this one just feel different?”

Maria sat back in her chair. “She doesn’t seem sour. She always had a sweet side she tried to show us, but you could tell what she thought of us lowly humans most of the time.”

Maria couldn’t have been wrong about this blonde could she? It couldn’t be that Kyle was completely right about her, that they could simply trust her. That she was truly a different person?

Maybe.

And maybe Maria would have a lot to ask for forgiveness for before all this was over. But she would watch Tess. Even if she was different, even if she was truly nice, it did not necessarily mean she was on their side. And one of them needed to remember that.

If Maria proved to be wrong about this, she was strong enough to admit it. But until that proof was in, she would be cautious with the new girl.

The last time they had accepted her had simply cost them too much for a free pass.
--

Isabel

Isabel showered and got dressed and prepared herself to face her sister-in-law. Arguing with Liz was maddening. It wasn’t just the implacable logic that had always been there and the emotional maturity the woman had gained over the years.

No longer did Liz need to regroup from a personal shock. And Isabel’s greater physical powers and stature certainly didn’t faze the woman one bit. No, Liz was like a verbal Terminator. She would keep coming and never stop until she got her point across.

Worse from Isabel’s point of view, was that she could sense Liz reaching out to the various tau lines looking for the words that would strike with most effect. She could also use events that would shock everyone else, but the she knew were coming to increase the power of her words.

Never argue with her during a thunderstorm for instance, as Liz time her delivery to use the thunder to best effect.

It was really annoying. Isabel had always considered her own ability to argue as one of her strongest traits. She hadn’t always won, but her opponents always knew they were in a fight. Isabel liked the verbal sparring and had sometimes argued with Kyle just for sport.

Liz usually preempted her, defusing the contest before it had already begun. Even now the woman was probably coming up with a plan to quell her anger over sending Michael to zap Alex.

Liz had to have seen that coming. The woman could see the future for heaven’s sake!

Isabel stopped wasting time and got dressed quickly. No point in delaying the inevitable.

She built up her head with a full steam of outrage and tromped down the stairs, “Now look her, Liz, what exactly did you mean by sending Michael….”

Liz was waiting for her. “Isabel. Hear me. The man upstairs is your soul mate. He is if anything a better match for you than the Alex we knew and loved. But he is NOT THE MAN WE KNEW. He is not.”

“What the hell does that have to do with anything?” Finished walking down the stairs, noticing Michael watching the two of them from the living room.

Liz folded her hands and sighed, “Isabel, the man upstairs sleeping in your bed is a soldier. And not like Michael, who has great power but little training. Alex has had a great deal of training, something we could use.”

Isabel stood there on the last step, staring down at Liz. “So this is a good thing, isn’t it?”

Liz bit her lip, “He is dangerous. And he will want to protect you. Would do anything to not lose you again like he did with the Isabel from the other world.”

Isabel nodded.

Liz frowned, looking almost pensive, “I can’t see far enough to see exactly what he is capable of… But Isabel, millions of deaths stain his hands. Billions.”

Isabel was quiet, “Nothing I saw from him, and I mean nothing would lead me to believe he would commit such and act. Would he fight to defend me? Yes. Would he kill to protect me? Also yes. But I could probably say that of anyone here. We are family, and the world itself is against us.”

Liz reached out and touched her arm, “I am not asking that you do not take him as your lover, or husband. I am just saying that you need to watch him. That he will do anything to protect you from a possible threat. ANYTHING.”

Isabel sighed. The woman was right. If this Alex had a fragile area, it would be the potential of losing her again.

She walked over to a large chair in the living room and made a face at Michael before sitting down to brood. Because she had to be careful here. He would not like being watched any more than she would.

And yet….

Liz was right. The man was capable of a great deal of damage just in his own right. What if he declared war against the FBI? Could they stop a bomber who could teleport? Throw power blasts and telekinetically cause things to explode?

Isabel shivered. For perhaps the first time she understood the fear that Michael still sometimes harbored about himself. That he might lose control and go on a rampage.

But what if that rampage were controlled? What if it was done to protect someone.

Isabel softly said, “This could be a problem.”

Michael grunted in assent.

Liz sat on the loveseat she and Max usually did. “I will do what I can. Because he is still Alex. Not ours, but still someone who is a good person at heart.”

“Just a dangerous one.” Isabel said softly.

Liz said softly back, almost philosophically, “We all are, Isabel. All of us here in the Hybrid House. We all are.”

Once again a grunt from Michael, his eyes flashing support for Isabel.

She smiled back at them both and began to think.

--
Agent Thomas

Agent Thomas was over the first layer of euphoria from finding and filming a person who could teleport. He was watching the conversation between Isabel and Liz.

A problem indeed.

What DID Archos plan to do with these people? The simple plan of blackmail while they were helpless didn’t seem so strong when they had someone who could be anywhere at any time.

They really needed to figure out the limits of this ‘Alex’s’ abilities. Or he truly would be a real handful.

He sighed and had another cup of coffee. This was going to be a long day.