The Ballad of a Bullet (AU,M/L,ADULT) Pt. 14(B) - 07/10[WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

clash868
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: The Ballad of a Bullet | Max/Liz | Pro.-12 | 04/24 | NC1

Post by clash868 »

Part Nine

---

He stared at her, opened and closed his mouth like a fish out of water before shaking his head. "Nothing, I'm not going to do anything about it."

She swallowed in response, eyes fluttering, as she tugged on her bonds. "Zan…"

"My name is…," he started to correct without much venom before stopping. She barely looked like she knew where she was, he didn't have it in him to fight about that right now.

"You came back…"

He stared at her wordlessly for a moment and sighed at the hopeful look on her face. "Liz," he tried to say quickly but she cut in.

"Please hurry," she begged. "We have to leave now."

Max screwed his eyes shut and licked his lips. He couldn't look at her and say what he was about to at the same time.

"No Liz."

He listened as she tugged on her bonds.

"What," she asked, obviously confused. "But you came back!"

So I could snoop through your records.

Max shook his head and put his hand against the papers at his back. He decided the best response was to deflect. He couldn't tell her why he was really here, she'd hate him.

"I'm sorry Liz but I have to go."

"No," she begged and tried to sit up. "Don't leave me!"

He knew he should ignore her. That he should leave the room and never come back but the one thing he'd never been able to do was ignore Liz. No matter how hard he'd tried.

"I can't help you," he whispered lowly.

"Yes you can," she replied lowly. "You have no idea what you can do…"

Something in her voice made the hair on the back of his neck stand up and he finally made eye contact.

"I can't Liz."

"Stop saying that," she ordered emphatically, pulled on her bonds again and he stepped closer. Not able to fight the worry he felt over her possibly re-injuring herself.

"Stop it."

His voice just seemed to spur her aggravation on and he moved closer again, finally reached out and put his hand against her shoulder. She looked up at him, eyes vague with whatever they'd pumped her full of and he tried to school his face into blankness.

"If you don't stop you'll hurt yourself."

They'd finally removed the bandages at her wrists and he let his hand drop down. Max ran his thumb along the pink, new skin of her scar. He'd hoped for something light, a mark that was more a cry for help than an actual suicide attempt but he wasn't really surprised by the deep slashes he found instead. Max traced the wounds edges, followed the same trail she'd dragged a blade along less than two months prior and wished he could heal her. That he could take the reminders of what she'd done away and he felt himself falling into that space. That space he went when they were in the courtyard and he felt like he was capable of anything as long as it made her feel better.

Then he thought that, if she was right, if he could do this and he was who she said he was. He'd be able to make her better.

He concentrated and the fledgling heat gathering in his belly as it spiraled tighter and tighter, stole the breath from his lungs and he closed his eyes in preparation. Just when he felt it beginning to burn beneath his palms…it died. Max no longer felt those electric pulses just beneath his skin. He dropped her hand then and looked up into her eyes. She didn't seem to realize what he'd been trying to do.

"You have to help me!"

"I can't Liz! I can't even…," he let the admission trail off and turned his back. "I don't even believe what you're telling me but if it is true…," he shook his head. "I couldn't help you because I can't control it."

"Not yet," she said frantically. "But Larek—"

"Shhh," he cut her off and moved closer to the door, listened to what sounded like Greg's feet getting closer. "You have to be quiet Liz."

She squeezed her eyes shut and groaned, muttered, "Max listen," too loudly in the quiet building and he felt his stomach fall when the guard's steps hesitated outside the door. He was listening.

"Max," she called again, even louder this time and he turned toward her but didn't try to quiet her or move. He just watched the door intently, unconsciously balled his hand into a fist when the knob began to turn slowly. He'd thought he was willing to do anything to get away from her a moment earlier but his desperation to get away had morphed into a desperation not to be caught. If Greg came into this room— no matter how much Max would have preferred to avoid it— there would be a fight.

He watched the knob spin slowly before it stopped short. Greg tried it twice more before letting go and lumbering off down the hall. It was locked. Max laughed, he must have locked it behind himself without realizing. He forced himself to relax and opened his sweaty palms, took a relieved breath. He'd almost been discovered and only God knew what would happen to him if he was caught with her alone again, especially since he didn't even work here anymore. Max let out a short bark of laughter at his good fortune when Liz made a distressed sound and he came crashing back to Earth.

Even if he'd avoided detection once, there was quite a distance between this room and the front door. He wasn't a 100% sure he could make it there on his own, let alone with a drugged up patient hanging off of his side. He swallowed and looked back over his shoulder at Liz.

"Come on now Max. Help me get out of these things," she asked, her voice was strangely high as if she already knew what he was about to say.

"Liz I—"

"No," she moaned, drawing the word out long and low. "This has to happen now. We may never get another chance!"

"I'm not who you think I am," he responded lowly.

"Yes you are! I know it's hard but you have to believe that—"

"What?" He asked in a fierce whisper. Suddenly angry with her for putting him in this position. "That I'm an alien and that you're not crazy."

"Yes," she answered matter of factly and he shook his head, face empty but set.

"I'm sorry but I can't do that."

"No," she said with force as if hearing the conviction in her voice would change his mind. "This isn't what's supposed to happen."

"I'm sorry Liz," he replied lowly, feeling scared and sad and terrible about hurting her even if he knew it was for the best. "I don't believe you."

"But you've used your powers! You've seen what you're capable of!"

"Those were just one-off's Liz. God—"

"Stop, please," she groaned out like she was sick and he took a step closer.

"Liz?"

When she didn't answer he took another step forward. "Liz, you'll be all right. The doctors will take care of you and by this time next year you won't even remember me."

He ignored the pang his own words caused him. It would be better that way. It had to be.

She raised her face to look at him then and her eyes were clear. "By this time next year, none of us will be here."

Then, just as quickly as it appeared, that lucidity vanished and her face became soft and clear as a child's. "We were supposed to save the world, Max."

He backed away until he hit the door and swallowed whatever was rising inside of him. "I'm sorry, Liz."

Then he spun around, turned the knob and disappeared out the door as quickly as he could while still moving slowly enough to be inconspicuous. He was halfway down the next corridor when a memory stopped in his tracks.

The door. He hadn't unlocked it to get out.

Max turned toward the hallway he'd just come from and tried to tell himself that he had unlocked it. That he just didn't remember in his haste to get out of there and that he should just keep moving but he couldn't.

You have no idea what you can do…

When you two were little, we had locks on the fridge and on the cabinets and oven but they would never keep you out of things…

Their words fluttered through his mind before he could make them stop, then continued on a loop. He raised his hand to his face and worried the nail on his thumb. It couldn't be, it was insanity to even be considering it but the more he thought about what Liz said the less absurd it seemed.

We were supposed to save the world, Max.

He was turning around before he could even question what his decision would mean and was walking back down the hall before he could talk himself out of it. He'd known. He'd known from the moment he first met Liz that there was something different about her. Something that connected them together and he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he left her here. He wouldn't be able to go on without knowing that he'd tried everything in his power to help her.

Even if that meant breaking the law.

Max walked faster now that he'd set a course for himself, turned the corner to the hallway outside of her room and walked directly into Justin Capriati. They didn't react at first, just stared at one another blank faced, completely shocked by the others presence.

"What are you doing here," the other man was finally able to sputter.

Many possible responses flitted through Max's mind but none passed through his lips. He could feel himself begin to shake. He'd been so close, so close to going back, so close to taking her in his arms and just disappearing.

Max frowned at the man standing in front of him. Justin was always getting in his way.

"I'll ask again," the orderly stated in a staccato voice, suddenly authoritative and confident as he had been that day out in the yard, the day everything had gone sideways and had yet to right itself back. Or maybe it had happened long before that. Maybe it happened on that day in the woods with Iz. The day he healed something for the first time and Liz went insane.

"What. Are. You. Doing. Here?"

Justin's voice startled him from his memories and Max thought fast. He hated to lie, and he wasn't even very good at it, but it wouldn't do anyone any good if he got carted off tonight. He'd never be able to get back in this building then and Liz...

The thought of leaving her here made the choice easy.

"I was…um," he searched his mind before landing on something. "I was hired back."

The other man frowned. "Excuse me?"

Max licked his lips and tried to ignore the sweat he could feel rolling down his back. "I was cleared and they hired me back." He pointed to his uniform and tried to smile like he thought this was all just a horrible misunderstanding. "See, I've got the uniform and everything."

Justin tilted his head to the side and stared at him appraisingly. "They hired you back?"

"Yeah, they cleared me and put me back on the roster yesterday morning."

"I wasn't made aware of that."

"Well that's not my fault," Max replied, halfway believing it himself. "You need to talk to them about that."

The other man's cheeks turned pink with embarrassment before he took a breath and righted himself, said, "all right then, I will," before turning and making his way to the stairwell.

Max stared after him, dumb founded that his story had actually worked when Justin turned back suddenly with narrowed eyes.

"What's the code for a flat line?"

"What," he asked.

"The new code. Right after you were…let go, admin came up with a new one. They'd tell you what is was before giving you a shift." His mouth tightened into a flat line, "so what is it?"

His hands squeezed into fists again as he ran through every combination he could think of, came up empty and decided to wing it.

"They never changed it," he smiled. "It's still the same one."

Justin leaned back, started to reach for the walkee at his side and Max knew instantly that his bluff had been called. He took a step toward Justin when the other man put his hand up, palm facing out.

"Stop just…don't move!" He ordered and tried again to snatch his radio from it's holster. "I'll just call them now and we can get this all sorted sooner rather than later."

Max was afraid, more afraid then he'd been at any point in the last two months when his life had been going to hell and that's when he felt it happening again. That thing from the woods and the green space and from Liz's side earlier tonight. That yawning oblivion he fell into whenever he used his gift was widening but there was something off about it. Something sharper and darker about the energy growing low in his belly.

The lights overhead began to flicker and when Justin freed the two-way from his side, one of the bulbs burst with a loud crack leaving them in partial darkness.

The other man broke eye contact to look up and that's when Max raised his hand slowly. He didn't understand the movement, he was just going on instinct now. The gathering power inside of him expanded until he almost felt like he would choke but nothing was happening. Then Justin looked down and as soon as their eyes met he felt like someone struck a match over a puddle of kerosene.

The force within him burst up and through his palm, knocking Justin back through the air and into a wall about five feet from where he'd been standing. Max stared at him with an open mouth, shaking. He finally let his hand fall to his side, wincing from the pain using this new side of his power caused him. He looked at the other man before he forced himself to move toward Justin's prone body.

"Oh God, please don't let him be dead. Oh God, please don't let him be dead. Oh God, please don't let him be dead…" Max didn't even realize he was praying out loud until he heard his own voice echo back.

He stopped when the tip of his shoe hit Justin's knee and bent down. He wiped sweaty palms against his uniform pants and reached for the other man's wrist. It only took him a second to feel a strong pulse and he sighed with relief before falling back into a seated position. He rested his face in his hands and sat still for a moment, trying to catch his breath when a slightly distorted voice came over Justin's two-way.

"Capriati? There was just a loud crash from the third floor of the hospital. Can you check it out?"

Max watched the two-way closely with wide eyes.

"Capriati, you there?"

He had to do something now or they'd send more people and he might have to… Max looked at the still body to his right and reached forward to pluck the radio from Justin's hand. He put it to his mouth and tried to mimic the other man's speech patterns.

"Sure."

Quiet crackled over the receiver before they spoke back. "Good on you," and then switched over to another channel.

Max stuck the walkee in his waistband and ran his hands through his hair. He'd been planning on leaving Justin as he was, going back for Liz and making their way out but now that he'd sent Justin to go check out what happened, they'd be calling to find out what he saw and when he didn't answer they'd send someone up…

He let the thought trail off and walked around to grab Justin's hands. He had to move him or they'd discover something was wrong too quickly. Max dragged him back down the hall, looked around the corner to make sure it was all clear before pulling him down the corridor that led to Liz's room. Justin was dead weight and he was heavy. Max was struggling to carry him by the time they got to her door. He reached to the side and turned the knob, expecting it to open easily. Only this time it didn't.

He twisted a couple more times, becoming frantic, before he remembered Greg and let out a low, "shit." Max rarely cursed but hearing the word helped to clear his mind. He probably used his gift to open the door earlier. He bent down to grab the key chain around Justin's waist and used that to open it this time.

He fell through the door quickly and barely took in Liz's startled face at his return before pulling in Justin's body. When he turned toward her again, her eyes were wide.

"He's not—"

"He's knocked out," Max hurriedly answered and locked the door behind them.

He walked toward the bed and began to untie Liz's restraints.

She fell forward into his arms when he helped pull her from the bed. "I thought you weren't…I thought you were going to…"

"I don't know if you're crazy or I am and even though I don't believe that I'm an alien, I do believe in the way I've always felt connected to you." Max blushed a little at admitting that but went on, "I couldn't leave you."

She stared at him spacily as he sat her down on the floor with her back against the wall. Max picked Justin up underneath his arms and pushed him onto Liz's bed with a grunt. He tugged the other man's shoes and socks off and, after a moment of internal debate, his pants as well. Liz would need them, she couldn't walk around in only a hospital gown.

He pulled her back up into his arms and helped her pull the pants on. She wasn't wearing any under things and he made himself ignore the feel of her almost bare breasts against forearm. Now was not the time. He nudged her into a corner so she'd stay upright while he bent to put the socks and shoes on her feet. He leaned back to take her in and smiled a little. All of Justin's clothes were much too big but they were better than nothing.

He worked his arm under hers and helped her to the door when the walkee crackled back to life.

"How'd it go, Capriati?"

Max pulled it from his waist quickly, "something just fell sir."

They walked out of the door and down the hallway towards the stairwell that led to the back entrance.

"What was it?"

He didn't answer as they pushed through the exit and Max caught her on the stairs when she tripped over Justin's shoes and almost fell.

"Are you all right? Your voice sounds strange…"

Max switched the two-way off and began to half carry; half drag her down the stairs. They had to get out of there now. He hesitated at the exit, sure that there would be police cars and helicopters and men with guns just beyond it but when pushed the handle and stuck his head out, only an almost empty parking lot greeted him. They walked out cautiously when he saw the jeep and made a mad dash toward it. He helped her into the back seat so she could sleep through the drive before he ran to the driver's seat. He stared at the building for a moment. This was it. His life would never be the same when he pulled out of this lot.

Max took a deep breath, turned the key in the ignition and pressed his foot on the gas.

-

He quietly unlocked the front door of his family's home and walked in as silently as he could. Liz had fallen asleep almost immediately while Max listened to AM radio for the thirty minute drive back into town, searching for any mention of someone who might be them and came up empty.

He climbed the steps stealthily, skipped the one that squeaked and made his way to his bedroom. He grabbed a bag out of his closet and threw some clothes and a few books in. He was half out of the door before he turned back, they'd need something to do when they were cooped up on the run so he went back and added one or two movies before finally leaving. Max pressed his back against the wall and made his way back downstairs and through the den. The TV was still on so he stopped, afraid that someone had fallen asleep in front of it but when he peeked, the couch was empty.

"The Police are still investigating the bizarre string of deaths …"

He glanced up at the sound of their local reporter's voice before be moved toward his parents' office. There was no light coming from beneath the door but he pressed his ear against the wood and listened, just to make sure, before he finally pushed it open.

He walked across the carpeted floor toward the safe he knew they kept in the bottom of the closet. He spun the dial in a combination he'd never had to use before now and the door popped open easily. There was a few hundred, maybe even a thousand dollars, his parents left here for emergencies and one other item he'd completely forgotten about. A gun. He swept the money into his bag and hesitated before pulling out a shirt, wrapping the weapon up and placing it inside as well. He forced himself to breathe normally and was about to close the safe when he reached into his mother's desk and pulled out a pen and a pad of paper. He scribbled some words on a sheet, tossed it inside and closed the door gently.

Max walked back out of the room and closed the doors behind. He glided slowly to the front door, soaked in as much about the place he'd grown up in as he could. Only God knew when, maybe even if but he refused to believe that, he would ever see it again. He glanced back into the kitchen, ran his hand along the back of the couch and touched the cuff of Iz's jacket that had been hung up behind the front door. He took a deep breath, memorized the smell of home and took one final look back before opening the door and locking it behind him.
Light My Fire
clash868
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: The Ballad of a Bullet | Max/Liz | Pro.-12 | 04/24 | NC1

Post by clash868 »

Part Ten

---

Liz woke up in the backseat of a car with a crick in her neck and no idea where she was or how she got there. She closed her eyes against a blinding shaft of light coming through the car window and licked her dry lips slowly, tried not to panic as she thought over her options. This wasn't the first time she'd woken up somewhere unknown so Liz dragged her eyes to the front of the car, making sure she was alone, before she moved up into a seated position cautiously. She was in the backseat of a jeep, parked across the street from a gas station, a pawnshop and an over-grown vacant lot.

She still felt lethargic and fuzzy from whatever they'd given her in the hospital and her brain was moving too slowly. She squeezed her eyes shut and tried to remember how she got out, tried to figure out where she might be when someone leaned into the open passenger side window at her back.

She turned around quickly, breathing hard, to find Max standing very still as his eyes racked over her.

"You're awake." He said carefully. She could tell he was trying not to spook her. "You've been out for awhile; I was going to wake you up when I came back."

She didn't respond and he started to dig through a plastic bag she only now realized was hanging from his arm.

"I wasn't sure what you would like so I just got these." He tossed her some Doritos and watched, face blank, as she tore open the bag and shoved a hand full into her mouth. They weren't allowed junk food in the hospital and, at that moment, she was sure she'd never eaten anything better.

He laughed and relaxed his stance some. "I guess I choose well then?"

She shrugged and he cleared his throat after a slightly uncomfortable silence. Max rubbed the back of his neck nervously as she watched him walked around and pulled open the driver's side door. She watched passively as he pulled himself in and grabbed something else from the bag on his arm.

"I got you some water too." He handed it to her and she quickly twisted off the cap before taking three deep gulps and leaning against the seat with a sigh.

She closed her eyes and tried to calm her wildly beating heart. "This is really happening. I..." She started, mostly thinking aloud as the night before came back to her in a rush. "I wasn't sure…"She opened her eyes and let herself trail off before he looked away with a blush.

"I couldn't leave you there," he said lowly, eyes lingering everywhere in the backseat but where she sat. He started the engine and finally glanced back at her with a wide smile. "You would've done the same."

He gave her a reassuring smile but Liz didn't say anything as he pulled away from the curb and onto the street

-

They'd been driving for five minutes when something she should've considered as soon as she knew where she was climbed into her thoughts. "How long have I been out."

"You were pretty much asleep when I put you in the back. You—"

"No," she cut him off. "How long have I been out of the hospital?"

"About four hours," he responded, voice grave, and Liz clenched her hands into tight fists.

"What car did we leave in?"

"What?"

"What car did we leave the hospital in? This couldn't be the same…"

She stopped short at the tight look on his face and swallowed the anger she felt multiplying inside of her. She wasn't even upset with him really, she angry at herself for sleeping instead of making sure they got away clean.

"We have to dump the car."

"What?" He questioned, vaguely petulant. "No Liz, there's got to be—"

"We. Have. To. Dump. The. Car." She repeated slowly and watched his face fall at her tone. She was talking to him like an idiot but Liz wasn't exactly interested in protecting his feeling at the moment. "Haven't you seen CSI? The first thing you're supposed to do is switch cars."

He shook his head. "I can't!"

"Look," she replied lowly, sneer firmly in place. "I'm sure your parents got this for you on your 16th birthday and you were so surprised and you've never been happier in your life but if we don't drop this thing off somewhere we're going to get caught." She threw her hands up, "It's amazing we haven't already been!"

His hands were tense on the steering wheel as he stared at the asphalt ahead of them. "There hasn't been any mention of us on the radio. Either the orderlies haven't been doing their rounds or the hospital's trying to keep it quiet."

"Well we've been really lucky then."

He didn't respond and she tightened her jaw. She had no reason to apologize, every idiot knew you couldn't keep driving around in the car you committed a crime in, but they would be joined at the hip for the near future so she needed to make nice. "Look," Liz said softly and touched his shoulder blade. "I'm sorry for all of this," she finally said, surprising herself by how heartfelt the words were.

He shook his head and took a breath. "It's not your fault," he muttered.

But it was, she thought. Now that she was out and the plan was moving forward she had the luxury of trying to put herself into his shoes for the first time. She had no idea what she would be going through right now if their roles were reversed. If she had power and faith and a loving family and good grades and a car and no worries in the world. She thought back to what he'd said earlier.

"You would've done it for me."

Would she have really made the choice to make her life exponentially harder on the word of a maniac in an asylum? She squeezed him before letting go of him and turning to look out the window. She'd never be able to truthfully answer that question and a part of her, a pathetic horrible part, was thankful for that.

Liz leaned back into the seat, a headache suddenly making her dizzy. "It's not your fault either, Max. "

-

After struggling for longer than she would've liked, they pulled the license plate off and dumped the Jeep along a back road sandwiched between an abandoned factory and a freeway sound wall. They hopped a city bus that brought them closer to the border between Colorado and Wyoming and rented a room in a small hotel. She made sure he had everything he needed then went to the front desk and came back with a pair of a scissors.

He was stretched out on the twin nearest the restroom, furthest from the door and danger, and looked up at her curiously when she returned. "What are you going to with those?"

"I'm not going to do anything. You're going to cut my hair."

He got up and moved to the edge of the bed very carefully. "I—" He started before she cut him off with a tight smile. They hadn't been together long but she could already read his mind.

"The next word out of your mouth better not be can't."

She could almost hear his teeth snap shut. "I'm not expecting miracles here," she went on. "I just need something different than what I have now. They're going to be on the lookout for a bad dye job so I don't want to go that far but we have to try something."

He got up, crossed the room and stopped in front of her. He touched the end of her hair, the back of his hand barely brushing the upper curve of her breast and she tried not to react. If anyone else had done that, she'd think it was a come on. Max met her eyes, resigned to his fate, before he dropped the lock.

She didn't believe it was that way with him though. Liz wasn't sure how that made her feel so she dragged him into the bathroom and turned on the overhead light. She watched him in the mirror above the small sink and tried to be upbeat.

"Get to work then."

-

Liz closed her eyes on a moan as she stepped into the first scalding hot shower she'd had in months. She washed her hair with whatever the hotel had on hand and touched the ends gingerly. Max's cut wasn't a hack job but it wasn't salon quality either. It was cute though, chin length and only a little uneven. She closed her eyes and smiled unconsciously when she recalled the serious look he'd worn while styling her. He'd even asked if she wanted a bang and she'd genuinely considered it before turning him down. There wasn't anything on this earth worse than a botched bang.

She laughed a little at the absurd thought. Liz, more than anyone, knew how untrue that was. She forced the dark thoughts that wanted to take over away and let her mind wander to earlier. To how Max had cupped her neck and gently turned her head, how he bit his lip when he was concentrating on something, to how she'd caught his eyes in the mirror and finally figured out that they weren't brown. More of a warm, golden, honey color.

Her lids popped open as she felt a spark of desire course through her. "No," she said firmly, needing to hear herself say it aloud. The last thing she wanted was to get attached when one of them, most likely both of them, would be dead by the end of this. She took three deep breaths before stepping from the shower and wrapping herself in to a thin white towel.

She was only thinking of him that way because he was the first man to touch her since she'd gone away. She just had an itch and he didn't need to be the guy to scratch it. She nodded to herself and pulled another towel from under the sink to hand dry her hair as she left the bathroom. She opened the door and stood still for a moment, scrubbing the last drops of water from her hair. She started to say something about dinner or when they should, she can't even remember anymore, when she raised her eyes and stopped in the middle of a sentence. He was staring back at her with a look she'd seen a million times on the faces of other men. Something needy and wanton and lustful and she felt her heart beat kick up.

To hell with everything she'd told herself in the shower stall, Liz took a step forward without thinking and he looked away quickly, whatever spell he'd been under broken. She could see pink climbing into his cheeks as he stared into the TV screen, back ramrod straight. She could hear him breathing as she stared at the hair curling against his collar, waited for him to say something or face her again, before she went to get some clothes and remembered that she didn't have any. She groaned and grabbed some out of Max's bag before she disappeared back into the bathroom at his silence.

-

She stayed in the bathroom a little longer than necessary, feeling stupid and off-kilter. Liz may have been only seventeen but she'd packed a lot of living into those years and there was no way she was going to let someone like him get the best of her. She opened the door, ready to pretend like nothing had happened when the news anchor on their TV caught her attention.

"… young woman went missing from the Open Fields mental hospital in Horse Creek late last night or early this morning." A picture of herself, looking sullen in the visiting yard, appeared on screen before it shrunk down into the corner of the screen. "It is unknown whether she broke out or if she had help but, since an orderly was knocked unconscious and placed into her bed, authorities believe she probably had a partner." A number flashed at the bottom of the screen for people to call in any sightings and they moved onto a new topic.

Liz leaned against the wall wearily; there would be no rest for them tonight. "We have to get out of Wyoming right now."

"How," he asked, his voice going high on the end like he was afraid. Like that broadcast made all of this real. "They've got to be on the lookout for us. What are we supposed to do?"

Liz's eyes went flat as she put all the stupid shit she'd been obsessing over earlier out of her mind. She thought of Larek and what he'd been training her for. "Get to Colorado but first, we need a new car."

-

The midday sun beat down against their backs and she could see Max looking at her from the corner of her eye but she didn't acknowledge him. They'd been walking for maybe twenty minutes when she finally stopped. "That parking lot."

He looked around them. "Which one? What are we doing?"

"The EZ Stop, right there." She said, ignoring the second half of his question. Liz picked up her pace and he kept stride. "What's—"

She put her finger to her mouth, and quieted immediately, followed her line of sight to an elderly man and woman walking arm and arm towards them, and when she met his eyes again, he looked troubled.

"Liz?"

"Go over there would you?" She said, feeling vacant and still inside as she quietly moved away from him. She wouldn't want anyone to see them together now that they had a target.

"Liz?"

She turned on him quickly, jaw set and eyes grim. "I said, go over there, Max. I need you to chat those two up for a second."

"I…"

"Do it," she said firmly and he nodded.

She tried to be inconspicuous as she watched Max walk up and start to talk to them about something. She circled around to their side and began to make her way toward them quickly. Her hands were sweaty and almost slipped as she reached into her pocket for the gun she'd stashed there before they left the hotel. The three of them were in the middle of their conversation when, suddenly, Liz was in front of them, gun in hand.

All three put their hands up, including a very surprised looking Max. The kind of shock you can't fake and that was exactly what she wanted. "What are you…?"

"Shut up," she said quickly, raising the weapon and pointing it at the elderly couple. "Where are you parked?"

The woman began to speak but one look at Liz made her quiet down and carefully weigh what she was about to say. "We're over in row C." The older woman reached for the key slowly, probably trying not to alarm her attacker, and let it hang off her finger. "Take it, you don't need us."

"No," Liz said quietly. "I'm the one making the rules and you'll bring me to it."

"Li…"

"Shut up," she screamed. He was about to say her name and she didn't want that. "This isn't up for debate. Bring me there now or I shoot you and wait for the next person to come out."

She waited a beat and let them look at her, let them realize she was serious before continuing. "Make your choice, now."

They nodded and started moving towards row C. Max looked at her with confused eyes but her face stayed completely impassive. "You too," she pointed her gun in the couple's direction. "Start walking."

They kept their hands up as all four walked towards an old minivan. She watched as the older man fumble with the keys until his wife took them, gently caressing his hand and Liz looked away then, shamed by what she was doing. The old woman unlocked it finally and they stood still waiting for further instructions.

She licked her lips and tried not to look as nervous as she was feeling. "Throw them on the ground there," Liz said, pointing at the patch of asphalt near the toe of her tennis. They did as she asked and she bent forward slowly, never taking her eyes away from them, as she reached for them. She stood tall again and cleared her throat. "I'm gonna need you three to get in."

The older woman clutched her husband, showing real fear for the first time. "That's not necessary. You have the keys now just take our car and go."

Liz's mouth set into a flat line. "I'm only gonna tell you this one more time and then I'm gonna get angry. Get in the car."

The older man grabbed his wife's hand and helped her into the seat.

"You," she said, pointing the barrel of the gun into Max's face, "are going to drive." Max nodded jerkily and climbed in. His face was red, like he was barely able to breathe. She thought his heart was probably beating out of his chest at the belief that he'd set a truly insane person free. He might be thinking there was no Larek, no saving the world. That he wasn't an alien and she'd been lying to him the whole time. That she'd just wanted to get free and had recognized a sucker in him. He sat back on the seat and closed his eyes tightly only to open them and give her a scorching glare. The couple in the back moved to glide the door shut when she stopped them with a tsk, and pulled it back open. She clicked the child lock into the ON position and heard the woman let out a pained sob.

She only spared her hostages a glance before she dangled the keys in front of Max. "Don't try anything funny like locking the doors while I'm walking around to the passenger's side. The only thing that'll get you is a bullet."

The older man gasped at that but Liz only had eyes for Max as she got into the passenger seat and gave him the keys. "Drive."

-

She could feel all three watching her and she knew they were thinking of jumping her, that it was three against one and they might have a real chance of coming out on top but no one moved. No one was willing to take the chance of coming out on the wrong side of a bullet. She had Max pull into an empty parking lot after about fifteen minutes of driving and turned toward the two in the back. "Empty your pockets."

They did so without a word and she collected their meager cash before ordering all three out of the car and face down onto the concrete.

She felt more under control now than she did at the beginning. Her hands felt steady now. "You're going to lay there and count to 100 and if you look up or say anything before then, I'll shoot you. Understand?"

They nodded and she pulled Max back up by the collar. "You're coming with me."

The older woman turned over quickly, about to protest, but there must have been something on Liz's face because whatever heroics she was about to display disappeared in an instant as she turned back towards the ground.

"Start counting," Liz ordered and dragged him to the car, threw him into the back seat and burned rubber out of the parking lot.

They didn't speak for a long time after until he broke the silence. "What are you going to do with me?"

"Just what I said we were going to do," she responded, consciously using we. "We're going to go to Colorado and we'll play it by ear. Wait for Larek to contact me again."

He was quiet for a few moments. "What exactly happened back there then?"

She narrowed her eyes and decided to play dumb. "What do you mean?'

"When do you think I mean? Just now when you took me and two other people hostage!" He said loudly. This was only the second time he'd ever yelled at her and she hesitated before answering.

"I didn't take you hostage." She replied quietly. "I just don't want the police to think that you're a completely willing accomplice."

"What?"

"If something happens," she went on, trying not to be frustrated by his lack of understanding. "If we get caught. I need you to be able to get out and finish this, Max. You're the key, I'm just here to teach you how to turn the lock."

"So all that was fake then?" he screeched. "You scared the hell out of me and those poor people for fun or something and how did you get that gun?"

"How did you think?" She asked lowly and watched as the realization of where it must have come from dawned.

He shook his head. "I didn't take it for that, Liz! I didn't take it so you could scare old people and steal their stuff!"

"You think that was fun for me," she yelled, "I hated doing that but we needed a new car and we needed cash, Max. You think the couple of hundred we already have is going to sustain us long enough to take care of everything? It won't!"

He watched the side of her face, looking angry. "Have you ever done that before because you looked awful calm back there?" he asked, changing the subject and throwing her off.

She stuttered before answering. "Larek's told me everything I might need to know."

"I know this is important Liz but we don't need to do it this way."

"There is no other way," she said, defeat palpable in her voice and she hoped he couldn't tell they weren't only talking about what had just occurred. "Things are the way they are and we just have to live with them."

"That's not true," he said. "You remember when we first met and I told you I didn't believe in destiny?"

She nodded uneasily.

"I still don't. We all have a choice in everything we do Liz and you can choose a different path."

She shook her head. "No. You have a destiny Max and there's no out running it. Not for either of us."

He put his hand on her shoulder. "Promise me you won't do anything like that again Liz."

She didn't answer.

"Promise me!"

"I promise," she finally said. "That I will do whatever it takes to make sure you get through the rest of this year alive. Whatever I have to do, I'll do it because you're the only hope this world has."

He shook his head, looking scared for her as much as for himself. "Liz…"

"Sit back and put your seatbelt on."

"Listen to me," he begged but no matter how many times he tried to engage her after that, she wouldn't answer. The conversation was over.
Light My Fire
clash868
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Ballad of a Bullet | M/L | Pro.-11 | Adult

Post by clash868 »

Part Eleven

---

"I have to call him."

They'd been on their own for a week now when Max sat on the edge of his bed and looked at Liz from the corner of his eye, still pretending to be absorbed in whatever was on TV at the moment.

"Max?"

He wanted to tell her no, just as he had ever since she brought the plan up the first time 2 days ago, but time kept passing and Larek still had not contacted them.

"Max!"

He wanted to scream out his kneejerk negative response but the reasons why she shouldn't do it were beginning to be outweighed by the reasons that she should. Liz moved to stand in front of him and snapped her fingers in front of his face. "Are you listening? We can't afford to wait around when I can call him!"

He rolled his eyes before he met her gaze, let her see the fear he'd been trying to keep at bay, both for her and their situation. "I don't want you to hurt yourself, Liz."

She took a deep breath, and smiled as softly and as reassuringly as possible, "it won't hurt too much Max and you'll be here to watch me. To make sure nothing bad happens while I'm out. That's better than I've ever had it before."

"Liz…"

"We have to Max," she said, cutting him off, "we can't keep ducking in and out of different hotels and running from our shadows when we could at least be trying to make some progress."

He rubbed his temple, a nervous tick that he hadn't been aware of until recently, "how would you…?"

"The hotplate…"

"No," he deadpanned with determination and disbelief, "that's too much!"

She crossed her arms over her chest, "Well I could slam my hand in the door about 5 or 6 times or I could touch the hotplate once."

"There's got to be some other way."

"Got any ideas?"

He started and stopped twice before looking away.

"He answers when I'm in pain Max," she said, trying act relaxed while she went to the closet and pulled out their cook top before she set it on the dresser between them and plugged it in.

"Besides, you can ask him some things while I'm out."

"Like what," he asked, miserable about everything. Mad that he wasn't able to be more of a help to her.

"Like what you are exactly, how you got here. You can ask what the hell is going to happen when we get where he's been leading us," she looked over her shoulder at him, "you know, obvious things like that."

"Why haven't you ever asked him that stuff," he replied, a little miffed at her tone.

"You think I haven't? He just doesn't answer."

"Why not?"

She sat down on the edge of the bed parallel to his, their knees almost touching and he noticed that he could smell the heat from the stovetop.

"Because he's not here for me," she said slowly, taking deep breathes and he watched her clench her hand before she brought it above the hot plate. "He only speaks to me so he can make sure I do what he needs me to."

His breath caught, this was really happening, he was rally about to let her do this to herself and he moved to say something, to stop her, when she brought her hand down onto the plate with a hard slap. He froze mid motion and wasn't really sure what he had been expecting but it definitely wasn't the quiet surrounding them. The almost muted response, the sickening sizzle. The only sound she'd made was a small intake of breath then a quiet encircled them that scared him.

"Stop Liz."

She ignored him and he watched her eyelids flutter for a moment before they rolled back. He felt stuck in place, unable to move forward or backward until the smell got to him. The knowledge that she was actually cooking herself penetrated his mind and he moved faster then than he'd ever remembered doing. Pushed her away and flat onto her back while he tried to ignore what was left on the surface of their cook top.

He leaned over her prone body after catching his breath, pushed the hair away from her face. "Liz? Wake up," he commanded gently.

He could feel her breathing but she wasn't responsive. "Liz!"

Her eyes popped open and their dull silver gleam made him pull away even though everything in his heart was telling him to pull her closer.

"Zan?"

A bolt of fear ran through him. It was there, in the room with them. It was using her voice to speak but there was something wrong with it. Like everything that was special and uniquely her had been pulled out of it, like it had been de-Lized, like it had been sterilized.

"My name is Max," he was finally able to choke out, moving as far as he could away from her without falling off the edge of the bed. He couldn't quite bring himself to get up yet. He didn't want to leave her while that thing had her under his control.

Though Larek wasn't using any of her facial muscles, he could feel his amusement when he replied, "Zan and Max are one in the same but I will humor you."

His hand was shaking and so he shoved it under his thigh, tried to sound sure and confident. "We've been waiting to hear from you."

"I was unable to get through because of the medication they were giving her. I had to wait until it was cleared through her system."

"You're here now."

"She called me. I am only able to take over this host's body during certain times."

"This host?"

"This is not the first human body I have occupied."

He was sweating even though the room was only 73 degrees. "How do you do that? How do you occupy her?"

"We are able to extract our essential selves from a body and move around in other forms. Some host's are susceptible while asleep and some are only open to me when they are in pain."

He watched him (her? it?) for a second, curious even though he didn't want to be. "What am I?"

Larek thought before answering. "You are the crowned prince of a planet named Antar."

Max felt his heart drop. He'd known, the healing ability and the magically unlocked doors were hard things to ignore, but he'd hoped there was another explanation. "So I'm an alien?"

"It is not that simple. The procedure was supposed to leave you fully alien but it had never been performed before and we were unable to contact you afterwards. Something went wrong."

"What procedure," he could hear a distinct shriek like quality to his tone but he couldn't control it, wasn't even really trying to.

"You're…" Larek stopped for a moment, "reincarnation is the word most humans would probably think of it as."

Max took a deep breath and tried to fight back the tears he felt pinching behind his eyes. "Why would I need to be reincarnated?"

"There was an uprising on our home planet. A man named Khivar turned a man inside the palace named Nascedo against the crown and they started a revolution. A battle raged from then on that decimated the population and turned a once vibrant planet into a shell."

Max sat and listened, rapt. "What happened then?"

"The planet was destroyed."

"Destroyed?"

"Khivar would rather the planet end then to let someone besides himself rule it. He, Nascedo and a few others were able to leave just before they detonated the bomb."

He struggled to find his footing, to understand the loss he felt for a life he couldn't even remember living,."I was one of the ones who escaped?"

"No, just before he set his plan into motion, he was able to get into the palace. While inside he killed your parents, you, your sister, Vilandra and your first lieutenant, Rath but not before sympathizers were able to retrieve some of your DNA. We first created clones and sent them to Earth but the ship crashed and all onboard were killed. The humans were also able to confiscate the bodies and the ship. We were not willing to risk such an event happening again and we didn't have enough specimens to try and remake you three but there was just enough of you three left for us to try another approach."

Max nodded slowly, feeling numb. "Vilandra is inside of my sister?"

Larek shook his head. "Let me explain. We decided that we needed to implant you inside someone already on the planet, that way, you would have a readymade human shell and would have built in protection for your formative years. We choose Dianne Evans as the surrogate because she was in the right place and already pregnant. We then implanted you and aspects of both your sister's and first lieutenant 's essences' inside of her body."

"My mom was already pregnant?"

"Yes."

Max felt bile rising in the back of his throat and covered his mouth. "Oh my God!"

"What is it?"

"You killed…me," he said after a moment. "You killed whoever I was going to be!"

"Would you prefer that we left you dead Zan? Contrary to what you would like, the prior occupant of your body was not you. Would you have rather never known the ones who raised you, to have never met my host?"

He felt like his head was spinning. "What?"

"You questioned me on what you are and the truth is that I am not quite sure. You were supposed to be our king but it seems that you are more human than what we originally planned."

"Excuse me," he asked, disbelief and want warring inside of him.

"We lost you after your implantation because something went wrong and I believe more than our ability to track our kind was damaged by our inability to take our time with the procedure. Our society had something like a hive mind. We were able to live separate lives but we were also able to tap into one another. We were never able to accomplish that with you but now that you're so near I am able to read some of your emotions and thoughts."

He recoiled and moved from the bed, stood back against the wall. "I don't like the idea that you're able to get inside of my mind."

"This is the way it is," Larek responded. "I know what you know and I see this body the way you see it, I feel about it the way you do and it disturbs me. I've seen what you think about, what you want to do and I find it repulsive. On Antar, we were above such…desires," Larek says with Liz's mouth. "We had no need for such intimacy and seeing my crown prince desire it is repugnant."

Max's mouth fell open in an O of understanding. "That's why sex makes you leave," he said more to himself than the being lying across the bed but it answered anyway.

"I cannot stand the act, the loss of control is disgusting. The fact that you want for such a thing is proof that the procedure was not stable."

"I wasn't supposed to be human at all," he asked.

"You were supposed to be a pure reproduction in a human body but it seems as though your essence was undermined during the transfer. I am not quite sure what you are now."

Max was about to ask something else when he thought of Liz. Of all the pain and hurt she'd been through because of this whole mess and decided to find out something for her. "Why did you pick her?"

"This particular host?"

"Yeah," he said lowly. "Why destroy her life the way you have?"

"Because she doesn't matter," it answered flatly. "Because she was the first to answer my call."

He breathed in and held it, tried to focus before he asked, "what do you…," but the silver gleam disappeared before he could finish his question and Liz began gasping for breath.

He moved back across the room, took her into his arms and moved her head so that it rested against his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Huh," she responded and he picked her charred hand up and moved it a safe distance away so she wouldn't accidently hit it. The wound looked better than it had before Larek entered her body but it was far from healed.

She opened her eyes, looked up at him and he smiled, happy to see her becoming more lucid. "Do you want me to get you anything?"

She frowned and swallowed thickly. "Some water would be nice."

He nodded and laid her head across the pillow, once again making sure her damaged hand was safe, before he went to the bathroom and filled a paper cup from the tap. He looked at himself in the mirror, took in the bloodshot eyes, and splashed some water across his face. The last thing in the world she needed to be worried about was his welfare. He waited a bit before bringing the cup back and sitting beside her as she drank fitfully.

"How did it go?"

He licked his lips and put his hand on her shoulder. "Well, he told me some things about my home planet."

"He did?"

"He told me it was called Antar and that I was it's crown prince."

She looked shocked. "I knew it had to be something important for them to look for you all this time but it's still surprising." She took another drink before smiling slightly. "I'm in the presence of royalty then?"

He laughed, when she was around it seemed like the things that scared him most lost some of their power. "It would seem so. Does it hurt?"

She looked at him curiously and he nodded to her hand. She shook her head and said, "not too much," but he could see her clenching her jaw against it and got up to go get some ice from the dispenser in the hall.

"Did you ask anything else?" She said casually when he came back in,

He pulled a towel from the top of the closet and sat the bucket on top of it next to her on the bed before settling her hand inside. "Like what?"

She shook her head. "Like anything."

He stopped what he was doing and looked at her face when she said that, watched her try to pretend that she was just curious, and he knew what she really wanted to know: Why Me?

"Because she doesn't matter."

He lowered his gaze, watched his thumb as he ran it along her collarbone, unable to meet her eyes as he lied. "I didn't really get to ask much but next time I'll try."

He couldn't tell her truth, that her life was in tatters simply because she'd been in the wrong place at the wrong time. There was solace to be found in the belief that your horrible life was unavoidable. That no matter what happened you'd always end up exactly where you were anyway and he couldn't bring himself to tell her that if she only taken another turn, been a minute late, that if only she had never answered the voice she heard in her brain that she might be sitting in a high school right now instead of running from the law.

He could never be that cruel to anyone.

Especially to her.

Max looked up with a small smile. "Just go to sleep so this thing can heal."

Her eyes had been fluttering with exhaustion since Larek left. He couldn't imagine how draining it must be to have someone else controlling your body. "Okay, but you lie down too."

He squeezed her hip with his other hand and went to lie down on his twin bed even though he wasn't the least bit tired. He knew that if he didn't, she would worry over him leaving without her supervision and he wanted her to sleep well. "Good night, Liz."

"Good night." She responded groggily and when he looked over she was already out.

-

He woke up slowly and looked at the ceiling. Max hadn't felt tired when he laid down but he must have been because he'd been out for hours, it was now dark outside. Max rubbed the sleep from his eyes and tried to remember what had disturbed him when he heard her groan and roll over.

"…No…"

He looked at the dark hump beneath the covers from across the room as she started to breathe hard. "No…Larek…I, I can't."

"Liz," he called from across the room but she didn't wake up.

"No! Please don't!"

He got up and moved to kneel beside her bed, grabbed her shoulders to shake her awake. "Liz!"

She came out of the dream with a start and a gasp before recognizing him and pulling him closer.

"Are you alright?"

She didn't say anything, just dragged her good hand across his back like she was making sure he was really there. He could feel the curve of her mouth in the bend of his shoulder and relaxed into it. "Whatever it is, it's okay."

"No," she said on a broken tone. "It's not okay."

He pulled back and tried to catch her eye. "What do you mean?"

"I spoke…," she stopped speaking but her face was covered in darkness so he didn't see it coming until her mouth touched his own. He pulled back, shocked, but she didn't let him go. Just took his face in her hands and moved him closer, kissed him again and this time he relaxed even though alarm bells were going off in the back of his mind.

He ignored them.

Max had only kissed a girl twice before so when she told him to slow down he did, when she slipped her tongue between his lips he followed suit. Mimicked her actions and only stopped when she tried to climb out of her bed and into his lap.

"Liz I…"

"Don't," she said quickly. "Don't talk I just need you to help me."

"With what Liz," he whispered even though it wasn't necessary, even though he already had a good feeling what she'd ask of him. She was shaking and so he ran his hands down her arms. "What do you need?"

She laid her head back against his shoulder, murmured, "touch me," into his ear and, in this moment, he was thankful for the cover of darkness because those were the two words he'd always been too afraid to want to hear from her. He wanted to, God knew he'd been dreaming of it since the day he met her. How soft her skin would be. How her moans might sound, damp and low in his ear, but something was wrong and the last thing he wanted was to take advantage of her when she was in a weak moment.

"I can't do that. Just tell me and I'll help any other way."

"Max," she said, pulling the lobe of his ear between her teeth, seducing him. "There isn't any other way. I need you to help me."

He sat there for a second before he felt her hand moving down and under his shirt and that's when he pushed her to the side and stood up. One more second of her hands on him and he'd be compromising not only their relationship but his beliefs.

He began to pace. "We can't do this, Liz. I know It's probably Larek, right?"

"Yes."

"Then…" he looked away, feeling heat flood his face. "I'll go into the bathroom and let you deal with it."

She scoffed and he could feel her shaking with tension, "Max…"

He looked at her with sympathy. "I want to help you but I can't do that. I would never want…for it to happen like that between us."

She said nothing so he continued. "How about I just leave you alone?"

Max could barely make out her nod in the affirmative before he scampered into the bathroom and shut the door tightly behind himself. He sat on the edge of the tub and covered his eyes when he realized he was staring at the door. It wasn't right, thinking of her just on the other side of it, doing what she was doing when it was a private matter. When it was only way she could regain control of her mind.

He clenched his jaw and rubbed his clammy palms against his jeans, it was wrong and he wouldn't give into temptation but then five minutes turned into ten, then 15 and he found himself standing and slowly moving to the door. This was wrong, he knew it with everything inside of him that this was wrong, but he put his ear to the door anyway. Struggling to hear anything, a caught breath, a squeaky spring and when there was nothing he became concerned. Max had been in here for at least 20 minutes now. She should be done or making some noise at least.

"Liz?"

There was no answer.

He turned the knob slowly, so she'd be sure to see the door opening, and walked back into the room only to see her bed empty and the door beyond it wide open.
Last edited by clash868 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Light My Fire
clash868
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Ballad of a Bullet | M/L | Pro.-12 | Adult

Post by clash868 »

Part Twelve

---

Liz crossed her arms over her chest and leaned into the wind as she quickly walked down the street, their hotel becoming a small dot in the distance. He was still there though, Larek. Listening in, clawing to get out. Liz’s palms were sweaty with the force it took to beat him back. She wiped them on her jeans as she crossed the street and looked in either direction. To her right was nothing but deserted road lined on either side with tall fir trees and the thick scent of pine in the air. To her left was what passed for the city center. Most of the shops were shuttered and dark but she could make out one bar with a bright red sign at the other end street. The parking lot seemed to be mostly full and she could hear thin strains of country music pouring through its front doors. A hard wind gusted down the street and made Liz squeeze herself tighter.

She thought of Max for a moment, imagined how his face would look when he finally left that bathroom and found her gone before pushing the image away. He didn’t understand. No matter how many times she tried to explain it, he’d never understand what it was like to live with someone else in his head. To be nothing more than a puppet to—

(Liz
She'd known He was there before he ever spoke but the sound of his voice after such a long absence still shook her.
Larek?
Yes, here is what you will do next…)

Liz frowned as the recollection of the dream that woke her up, that set all of this into motion, cut into her thoughts. Larek’s energy pulsed inside of her at the memory and Liz shoved him back down. She wouldn’t let him have her, not tonight. Liz shook her head and started walking toward the club. Max didn’t understand the lengths she would go to keep what little bit of the real her remained. She rubbed the goose bumps on her arms and picked up her pace. Liz hoped he would never have to.

-

The club looked like every dive Liz had ever found herself in. From the florescent jukebox, to the stuffed animal heads on the wood paneled walls, to the torn cushions on the bar stools to the autographed photos of third-rate singers over the shelves behind the bartenders back; it all felt so familiar. She took a deep breath and subconsciously touched the ends of her newly cut hair. Liz was beginning to feel comfortable here and when a brunette man in tight jeans walked by, hard green eyes taking in every inch of her frame, she felt in control. All thoughts of why she was out here, of the man she left in her hotel room and why she had to leave fled her mind as she made her way to the bar and took a seat.

She raised two fingers and waited for the bartender to make his way toward her. She thought she might have some trouble, the bob Max gave her having shaved years off an already young face, but she wasn’t asked for ID. Maybe the truth of what she’d been through was written on her. Maybe the responsibility she carried around inside had aged her.

“What can I get you?”

She looked up at the sound of the bartenders voice. “Shot of Vodka, please. No ice.”

He nodded before walking away.

“Nothing pink?”

“Excuse me?” Liz asked and turned to her side to see a wiry blond in a wife beater sitting beside her.

“Nothing pink” he reiterated, swiveling his torso toward hers. “Nothing girly I mean. Not a Cosmo or a Dirty Shirley

Temple or an Apple Martini?”

“Not tonight,” Liz replied, watching him curiously.

He watched her back.

“You from here?”

“You know I’m not.”

“Just trying to make conversation,” he drawled slowly, a mischievous smile beginning to take up residence on his face and Liz felt herself mimicking it as she looked him over. His hands were clean but the nail beds were stained black and both his jeans and t-shirt were marked with oil. His fingers were probably rough, thick with calluses from whatever it was he did all day and Liz could already imagine how they would feel against her skin. She licked her lips and ran a hand through her hair as she downed the contents of the glass before her and ordered another one.

“You do look familiar though,” he went on. “Where have I seen you?”

The second question didn’t seem to be directed at her and Liz tightened her jaw, looked at him with a practiced grin.

“Just one of those faces.”

He stared at her with narrowed eyes, not convinced in the least, and she tensed, ready to bolt if he asked her anything else but he let the conversation drop.

“Where are you from, then?” he finally said and quietly put money down when she got her second shot. Liz nodded her thanks.

“Here and there.”

“I love girls from here and there,” he replied and she actually laughed. The sound felt rusty and unfamiliar in her throat, like she was speaking a foreign language.

“That’s funny.”

“Why’s that?”

“I love boys from nowhere.”

“That’s me, honey,” he replied lowly, blue eyes sparkling as his hand slid across the bar toward hers. “I’ve never been more than a state away in any direction and I probably never will.” He didn’t sound bitter about it either and Liz liked that. How comfortable he was with his lot in life. He moved his stool closer and touched the bony knob of her knee. “You with anyone?”

She leaned against him and swiped the beer that was slowly going flat on the bar in front of him. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders. He was lanky but she could feel hard, flat, muscles beneath the thin shirt he wore. He was wearing some sort of cologne but she could smell the sweat beneath and she snuggled closer. Took a deep drink of his beer and didn’t move away after she put it back. “That depends.”

“On what?”

“You live alone?”

If her abrupt demeanor took him aback, he hid it perfectly. “No, my two brothers are there but—“

Liz shook her head. “How big is your car?”

He started to speak but was drowned out by the jukebox behind them coming to life and a man’s forlorn voice filling the room. He leaned forward and spoke against the side of her ear. “I have a truck with a pretty comfortable backseat.”

“Where is—“

“Out behind the bar. It’s usually pretty dead back there and if we do see anyone, they’re doing the same thing we are. They’ll mind their own business.”

She took another drink and started to stand when he stopped her.

“What’s your hurry? We could order something first.”

“What, are we on a date now?” she asked more sharply than she would’ve liked. “I didn’t come here to drink.”

“Could’ve fooled me,” he deadpanned, looking at his half-empty glass and Liz could feel his shine beginning to wear off.

“I have someplace to be.”

“Your hotel?” He asked lowly, his breath against her neck and Liz moved in closer even though everything inside her said to get away. The nearer the man got, the more she could feel Larek receding further and further into the back of her mind. “Gotta get back before the boyfriend wakes up, right?”

She turned her face away from him and thought of Max. Of the way he’d blushed as he closed the bathroom door earlier that night. Of the day she first met him and the uncertainty their future held. It was dangerous, leaving him there alone, but Liz needed this, she needed this, and if he wouldn’t help her… if he couldn’t take care of himself for one goddamn hour they had a lot more to worry about than Larek.

“Would it make any difference?” she finally answered flatly, looking off into the middle distance and he tucked some hair behind her ear. She shivered at the contact. It had been so long since someone touched her like this and he knew. She could tell by the curve of his lip that he could see right through her. Liz could see him too.

“Not a whit.”

She looked up into his face and felt something hollow out inside her. She no longer felt real, more like a character in a play, reading lines someone else wrote. Liz stood swiftly and took a breath. “Then meet me out back.”

She didn’t look over her shoulder to make sure he went as she walked to the restroom. The room was dank and poorly lit but clean. Liz stood in front of one of the mirrors and combed her hand through her hair, checked her watch and splashed some cold water on her face. She’d walk home afterward and they’d forget this ever happened. Max wouldn’t ask where she’d been because he wouldn’t want to know and he didn’t need to know. She wasn’t under any obligation to share with him anyway. All she had to do was get him through the rest of the year. All she was here for was to keep him alive.

Why did that feel like such a lie?

Liz rubbed the heels of her palms into her eyes before the woman in the mirror came into sharp relief before her. Her brown eyes were dark, thickly rimmed in raccoon eyeliner and sunken from a lack of sleep. Her skin was washed out and pale but her lips were red as currants and split into a wide smile.

In a few minutes, nothing would hurt anymore and even though it wouldn’t last. It would be enough.

She washed her hands, dried them before she left the restroom and at the end of the hall, she could see the exit sign. Liz walked toward it and pulled the door open. She narrowed her gaze as she looked out into the parking lot. At first glance, all she could see was inky darkness but, after letting her sight adjust, she could just barely make him out as he leaned, lanky and casual, against the side of his car. She stepped forward and let the back door shut behind her.

“I was starting to think you wouldn’t show,” he yelled over to her and she could hear a smile in his voice.

“No such luck,” she replied, taking a step forward, the loud crunch of the gravel beneath her feet filing her ears as she walked toward him. “Looking for an out?”

“Not likely,” he replied, voice dropping an octave as she stepped closer. He watched her for a moment before reaching forward and cupping the side of her neck. “Come here.”

She did as she was told. Leaned forward until their upper bodies touched and angled her mouth over his. It was strange in the beginning, the way first kisses always are: thrilling and scary, like she was falling into something deep, head first without a helmet. The presence inside her shrunk further back the longer their embrace went on and when the man she was with opened the door to his car. Liz got in.

-

Her throat was dry afterward, sticky and rough from gasping breaths, and all Liz could think of was a glass of water as she pulled her jeans back up.

“Going in?”

She nodded, “I need a drink.”

“Me too,” he replied, voice lazy as he leaned over the console, pulled a pack of cigarettes from the glove box and lit one up. He relaxed back against the seat with a sigh and took a deep pull. “On me?”

Liz felt good, lighter and happier than she had in a long time. There was no unseen person at her back, no voice whispering in her ear but that of her companion and a woman growling about her no good man from the jukebox inside the club. She let her head fall to the side, smiled at his profile as she pulled her shirt back into place and combed through her tangled locks. “Sure.”

He rolled the back window down a crack and Liz drew a happy face in the steam before the cool air outside made it disappear. “You ready, then?”

“Yeah.”

They got out and he wrapped his arm around her waist—his hand hovering at the widest part of her hips—and Liz leaned against his side. He kissed her again then, in the dark, beneath a busted food light and she could almost believe that this was her life. That she was a young girl, sneaking into clubs, meeting up with boys. That she’d sneak back into her house later on tonight and have an awesome story to tell her friends tomorrow at school.

He said something she couldn’t make out against the side of her neck as they walked to the bar’s backdoor and she could almost believe it. Could almost believe that the world wasn’t going to end, that she had nothing to do but stay in school and be young. He opened the door, ushered her inside and when she looked up, smile bright and weightless, she saw him—she saw Max—and stopped short. He was sitting in a booth just ahead of them, looking down at something on the table when he glanced up, eyes darting around the room before they landed on her. His face seemed empty of any sort of recognition at first. He even looked away, before his spine straightened and his stare swung back.

He looked at her blankly, his eyes flicking toward the man on her arm every so often, before Liz shook him off and stepped away. Max followed her—his gaze so steady she had to look away and just like that, the comforting warmth of her lie fell away. All she had left was the sharp edge of her situation, that there was no out, that she already knew the ending.
“You okay? You forgot the bar is—“

He must have followed her gaze because he never finished his sentence. Max stood and started toward them purposely. The man at her side did not move when he stopped in front of them.

“When I saw that you were gone, I left the hotel and I just assumed…” He let the thought trail off. “When I got here, I asked around and they told me you were out back. I decided to wait.”

Their eyes held and Liz stepped closer to him. “Thanks for your help. I’ll see you around.” Even though she hadn’t looked away from Max, all three people knew who she was talking to.

She felt him step away. He said, “Nice night,” and disappeared off to the other side of the building. They didn’t speak until Max broke the silence.

“Are you ready to go then?”

He sounded calm and Liz followed his lead even though she felt anything but. “I was going to get a drink but—“

“Well let’s get one then,” he cut in, like everything was fine as he began to walk to the bar.

“No, I just want to go now.”

“But if you want the drink I want you to have it, Liz.”

“No,” she replied.

“Let’s go get it,” he ordered, grabbing her wrist and Liz wrenched away.

“I. Don’t. Want. It.”

Their voices had risen at some point and Liz suddenly realized that every eye in the bar was on them. She could feel a charge in the air, a watchfulness that hadn’t been there before. She looked to the side to see a man standing there, eyes trained on the two of them, arms tense. She licked her lips and took a breath, touched his shoulder gingerly and he seemed like he wanted to pull away but the look on her face stopped him.

“Let’s go, Max,” she said placidly and she could see him notice how quiet the bar had gotten. “We’ll talk about this at home all right? Let’s go.” she knew it was stupid to make a scene, to make themselves memorable to these people in any way. They had to leave town now. They had to leave as soon as possible.

She let her hand drift down the curve of his shoulder until she reached his hand and took it in her own. “Let’s go.”
As soon as he nodded, she tugged him out of the front door and into the chilly darkness outside. They walked at a swift clip, trying to put as much space between them and the bar as possible when her foot caught something on the sidewalk and almost sent her reeling.

“Liz?”

She ignored him and closed her eyes tightly as the liquor she drank earlier began to rebel. Her head was spinning and she stood still, took a deep breath and put her hand to her stomach. She’d drank too much too fast after she’d been forced to abstain. Add that to the fact that the meds they gave her where still being flushed from her system and you’ve got a bad combination.

“Do you have a mint or something?”

She could see Max moving behind her. His hand hovered at her elbow before he dropped it back to his side. “No, why?”

“To settle my stomach.”

“Are you all right? Do you need to—“

“Max just—“

“Liz!”

It all came up in a rush then, bending her forward at the waist and coating her hand in the process. She rested her palms against her knees and gasped for breath before her abdomen cramped, pushing more up. Max was at her side in an instant, he pulled her hair back into a knot at the nape of her neck and rubbed her lower back in a circle until all she could do was dry heave.

Liz made herself stand up straight and when Max grabbed her forearms to turn her to face him, she didn’t resist. The night hung there between them—twitching and angry, begging to be addressed—but they both made an unspoken agreement to ignore it, for the moment at least.

He looked her over before pushing back a sweaty block of hair. She was a mess—jittery and sickly—and Liz didn’t need a mirror to know that, but he didn’t say anything.

“Feel better?”

She nodded and swallowed the taste of bile in her mouth, wishing she could go back and get that glass of water. “We have to get back to the hotel and pack. We gotta leave town tonight.”

“Let’s wait until morning.”

“Max—“

“We need a new car and you need to lie down for a little while. We’ll use some of our cash, trade the van in and go to Colorado then.”

Liz sighed, “You don’t—“

“Yes I do,” he said, the anger they’d carefully put aside, pushing back to the fore. “You’re the boss, you know everything and you’re in charge but could you at least think about my suggestions before throwing them out? We’re in this together; could you please start acting like it?”

She looked at him, shocked by his outburst and the truth it contained. A part of her wanted to tell him to shut up, that he was just some pampered kid who didn’t even know he had to switch cars after a kidnapping. That he was just some idiot who’d she’d been drafted to do the dirty work for. The words were on the tip of tongue, vibrating with their need to be spoken, but she bit them back. It was strange he was usually the one who diffused the situation.

She looked at him, if Liz was being honest, she did wave his concerns off more often than not. She shouldn’t this time, not when his plan made sense. With the scene they’d just made and what had become nightly appearances on the news, it was a bad idea to stick around but it would be even worse to try and run, unprepared, and get caught. Most criminals were caught while traveling, they should go to ground for a while.

The quiet between them grew taut. “Okay,” she finally relented and crossed her arms over her chest. “We’ll wait until tomorrow.” She fidgeted with the short sleeves of her shirt and he took off the thin jacket he was wearing.

“You’re cold?”

She put it on without responding and their eyes held before each looked away: one, toward a point he could barely see surrounded by trees. The other, toward a fluorescent, red sign and an empty stool, just waiting to be filled.
Last edited by clash868 on Sun May 01, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light My Fire
clash868
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Ballad of a Bullet | Adult | 13/25 | 05/01

Post by clash868 »

A/N. I'm so happy people are still interested in this (hey everybody! Thanks for reading!) and I'll probably be updating on Sundays. This chapter put me through the wringer so I hope you all enjoy it and reply!

---

Part Thirteen

---

Liz was already awake, the TV a buzzing drone in the background, when Max woke up early the next morning.

“I checked the news,” she said, moving around the room quickly without meeting his gaze or giving him any time to gain his bearings. “Then I went to the front desk and got the clerk to let me check the computer. I didn’t see any movement on us over night. We should try and leave now.”

Max pulled himself up into a seated position and stretched his hands over his head, yawning.

“I already ate but I got you some breakfast,” she tossed a McDonald’s bag to him and narrowly missed hitting his shoulder blade. “Do you want to eat or take a shower first?

Max was too busy trying to figure out what was going on to respond. Liz stopped after a moment and finally turned to him.

“What are you looking at?”

The question came out in a clipped tone and Max rubbed the back of his neck wearily. They’d had their first bust up last night—a disagreement that had nothing to do with Aliens or the cops or running— and hadn’t resolved their differences with the sort of knockdown, drag out fight that usually accompanied such circumstances. They were talking around something now and awkwardness had grown between them while he slept.

They stared at one another for a beat.

“Nothing, Liz,” Max relented and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. Now wasn’t the time to have that conversation, there was too much that needed to be done in too little time. “How long have you been up?”

“A few hours.”

Liz was more put together this morning—hair combed, the bandage on her hand had already been changed—than she’d ever been in his presence but she looked tired, too. He would bet she’d been up for much longer than an hour or two.

She turned and spoke over her shoulder. “About the van—“

“I don’t want it to be like last time, Liz.” Max said, forgetting all about the eggshells they were supposed to be walking on and eyed her seriously. “You—“

“It won’t be,” Liz stated. She didn’t turn to him but he could hear her breathing. Her back had gone ramrod straight and he could see her arms crossed protectively over her chest. “I was desperate.
We have choices now.” She ran her hand through her hair and stared at the wall before she turned and walked toward the head of his bed. She had a newspaper in her hand. “Just take a look.”

Max reached for the paper she extended toward him. He scanned the small print until his eyes landed on an ad circled in black ink. It was for a ’94, baby blue Chevy listed for 1000 dollars. There were a few too many miles on it but it was better than the alternative.

“Check it out,” she said. “Tell me what you think.”

“Okay,” he agreed, sort of surprised and—if he’s being honest –a little suspicious that Liz was even trying to include him in the planning process. She’d agreed to stop treating him like a tag along the night before but a part of him never thought she would actually go through with it. The stilted quiet between them stretched as he read.

“You can have the shower first if you want,” Max said, trying to break it. “I’ll load the car and finish up out here.”

She licked her lips, narrowed her eyes like she wanted to say something then shook it off. “All right,” Liz agreed, gathering a towel and something to change into. “I’ll make it quick.”

He nodded sharply, watched her disappear into the restroom and Max hated how oddly relieved he felt to be alone. Even when they first met, through her drug induced haze and the eventual mistrust that fell on their relationship, the air between them had never been this tense. He stared at the TV, not actually listening to a word the man on the screen said, before standing up. He’d slept in his boxers, so it didn’t take long for him to dress. Max hurriedly pulled on some jeans and a t-shirt, opened the McDonald’s bag, took the breakfast sandwich she’d brought him out and started to eat it one handed.

They’d never unpacked so it didn’t take long for him to move their meager belongings to the back seat of the car. He grabbed the hotplate from the back of the closet even though he couldn’t imagine himself ever using it again and swallowed the final bite of his sandwich, as he brought it to the car. It hadn’t been hard work lugging the bags out but he was already sweating as he stood in the parking lot, the sun hot on his back. He let his gaze roam the sea of black top around him before his eyes fell on the glass-enclosed lobby. He chewed on his lip as an idea came to mind and he started toward the front desk.

He was only gone a minute—five at the most—but when he came back into the room, he found Liz already out of the bath and standing in the middle of the floor in a pair of shorts and a wife beater; a pinched look covered her face.

“Where were you?”

Even though her voice was even as she spoke, he could hear apprehension seeping through. Max showed her the stack of towels. “I thought we could use them to wipe down the room.” She didn’t move and he went on, unsure. “You know, fingerprints—“

“Yeah, I got it.” She answered tersely, grabbed a hand towel from the top of his pile and began cleaning without another word.

He bit back a caustic remark and followed her lead instead. Now wasn’t the time. They wiped each surface of the room down silently and methodically, from the rim of the bathtub to the doorknobs to the remote control. Max wasn’t under any illusions. He knew this wouldn’t stop the cops if they caught their trail, but he hoped it might slow them down.

“Are you ready,” Liz asked, closing the bathroom door behind her. It was the first time someone had spoken in more than an hour. “It’s already 11:30. We should have been out of here by now. “
Max nodded and stood as he took one more look around to make sure they had everything. “Let’s go.”

They left the room and locked it behind them. “You take the first shift driving,” Liz said, her hand acting as a visor against the sun. “I’ll go pay. Bring the car around.”

She was already walking away before Max could agree. He watched her back for a moment and tried not to be annoyed by how short she was being with him. They’d passed a milestone in their relationship and now they were relearning how to speak to each other. This is what he’d wanted, for them to grow. There had to be an adjustment period.

His eyes slipped to the distracting length of thigh her shorts left bare and made a mental note for them to stop somewhere along the way and get her more clothes. He hurried to the van after she turned the corner and jumped into the driver’s seat. By the time he pulled up to the exit of the motel, Liz was already standing there.

She got into the passenger side quickly.

“That was—“

“Yeah, I know. Let’s go.” She spoke over him and Max looked at her curiously. Liz swiveled around when he didn’t move with comically wide eyes. “Or we can sit here until the cops recognize the stolen car we’re driving. Your call partner.”

He pulled away without taking the trouble to answer her. They drove along the mostly empty streets, each deep in their own thoughts, but it didn’t take long to find the mechanic shop selling the truck; they pulled into it’s driveway less than ten minutes later.

They got out of the van and walked into the door, a small bell above them announcing their entrance. Inside, the shops set up was bare—gray carpeted floors, three rows of sparsely covered shelves with some merchandise hanging on the back wall. No one was at the register. Max wondered where the clerk was when he heard footsteps coming from the side and turned to see a familiar face.

“Hi again”

The blond from the night before stood in front of them with a smirk. Max looked at him, then looked at Liz to watch as a brief spurt of panic was replaced with a practiced smile. “Hello.”

“What can I do for you today?”

There was a slight hesitation before the word today and last night—what they did—flashed through Max’s mind. He felt his face heating up as he listened to Liz laugh in response to the man’s flirtation.

“The ad for the car, we came to check it out.”

“Oh.” Dylan, as his name tag read, stuck both hands in his pockets and rocked back on his heels.

“It’s off to the side; I’ll grab the keys and meet you two out there.”

Max waited until the door shut behind them to speak. “We should leave now.”

“Why?” Liz asked.

“If he could’ve forgotten what…”Max’s stumbled for a word. “What happened at the bar, he definitely won’t forget us if we buy a car from him, too. I think we should just hold onto the van until we cross the Colorado border.”

Liz shook her head. “There’s no way I’m taking that car across states lines and besides,” she lowered her voice as Dylan exited the back door and started toward them. “I think I might be able to work something here.”

“Liz—“ He started to say but Dylan was there and he kept quiet, watched and paced as they flirted and ignored his presence for the next twenty minutes.

“Does your boss know it takes you this long with each customer,“ he finally blurted out when Liz popped the hood and Dylan moved up behind her to point something out.

“Excuse me?”

“Why is this taking so long? We want the car, obviously, or we would’ve left by now.”

Dylan tore his gaze away from Liz and looked at Max. “Well I have to make sure—”

“The car’s old, we’re aware that it’s going to have issues and you’ve explained them all thoroughly. Can we hurry this along?”

Liz turned toward him as if she were going to disagree.

“We have to go,” he said before she could speak and didn’t flinch under her pointed look. “You know we don’t have a lot of time.“

Max’s face was stern as they stared at one another. Waiting to see who would break first.

“Come here for a second?” She finally asked quietly and he followed her around the side of the building and back out to the front lot.

“If you can’t be nice, just wait out here.”

“I was being nice,” he ignored her scoff. “I was nothing but polite!”

“You were a passive aggressive jerk—”

“I was the jerk? He didn’t speak to me once the entire time we’ve been here!”

“We need this truck, okay,” she said, lowering her voice and checking to make sure Dylan hadn’t gotten curious and followed them. “Just stay here and let me do this.”

He grudgingly agreed after a moment and as she walked back to the truck, he petulantly kicked the pavement when she was out of sight. It was childish but he was frustrated by her, by their inability to understand one another and his lack of control over their situation.

He leaned against the side of the van and crossed his legs at the ankle as he waited impatiently for them to finish up. Not too much time later, he saw them come in through the back door with big smiles. Liz walked around the counter while Dylan reached beneath it and grabbed some papers.

They looked up through the wide plane of glass he was standing outside of in the front of the store and began to laugh.

Max had no doubt they were laughing about him.

He watched as Dylan walked around to Liz’s side of the counter and touched the small of her back. She smiled at him then in a way she’d never smiled at Max, like she was calm in her skin, relaxed. Max had never wanted to hit someone so badly in his life. He felt awful at the thought, sick with need. With what he couldn’t have and shouldn’t want in the first place. Liz took some money from her pocket and started to count it out onto the counter. She said something and the blond laughed.
Max turned his back on them. The way he was feeling then was why jealousy is a sin.

Liz said something and waved goodbye before she came out with a set of keys and tossed them his way. “I got him to forgo all the paper work. If anyone shows up because of the car, he doesn’t know our names or have anything with our signatures and he doesn’t have anything that belongs to us but the van.”

Max nodded as he climbed into the driver’s seat and watched Liz get in the other door. She bent her knees to the side and leaned against the door as they drove away. A song he’d never heard played softly over the radio as he broke their silence. “You’re going to try and sleep,” he asked, reaching for something to talk about.

“No.”

“You’re not tired?”

“Not really,” she said, sounding for all the world like he was half asleep.

Max hadn’t picked his words this carefully around her in a long time, not even when they’d first met, and Max was surprised by just how much her silence bothered him. She had never really been a talker, but now their silence felt forced rather than natural.

They drove down a deserted road, the sun at its highest point behind them and Max decided to speak his mind. If this wasn’t the perfect time to start hashing this out, he couldn’t think of a better one.

“You didn’t pay for our room did you?“ he finally asked, trying to keep his voice calm but he was sure she could still hear the anger he felt coming through.

“Max—“ she started, sounding exhausted but he wouldn’t let her brush him off this time.

“Tell me the truth.”

“No,” she admitted without an ounce of remorse. “We need that money. I already wasted too much of it buying this car. I wasn’t going to waste anymore paying for the pleasure of staying in that place.”

And just like that, they went off like a bottle of something fizzy had been shaken up and someone just twisted the cap off.

“Liz!”

“It’s a luxury, you know,” she said accusingly. “Being able to choose to be good. And we can’t afford it anymore. We’ve got no money, no time and—“

“You can’t say that!—”

“—completely idiotic to try and follow the rules when all they’re going to do is hold us back!”

He shook his head purposefully. “That’s not true, Liz. It never costs us more to do the right thing. You’re soul—“

“I don’t want to hear this,” she said loudly, holding her hand up, palm out. “I don’t want to hear anything about that!”

“Why did you leave last night?” he asked, suddenly getting to the heart of the matter. “Why did you do that?”

He watched from the corner of his eye as she tilted her head to the side and looked at him like he was an idiot. “Why do you think? I know you never got around much but there aren’t too many options.”

“That’s not what I meant,” he said with a grimace. “And you know it!”

“The real question is: why did you leave the room?” She asked. “You can’t do that Max. You can’t leave without me. There’s too much—”

“I know but I was worried about you,” he shot back. “What was I supposed to do when I came out and saw you were gone? You left the door wide open. Anything could’ve happened, Liz! You shouldn’t have left like that—”

“All right,” she yelled loudly, balling her fists so tightly her knuckles went white. “I shouldn’t have left but you definitely shouldn’t have followed me. “

“You really expected me to sit on my hands until you got back?”

“I expected you to follow my directions!”

“Well we have a problem then, Liz, because I told you last night that I’m not going to do that anymore and I meant it. I want to help you. I don’t want you to have to do this alone!”

“I am alone,” she replied without a hint of inflection. “And so are you. I think you’re forgetting that we aren’t friends, I’m not doing this out of the kindness of my heart. We’re not on a road trip before college. I’m here because one of your kind,” she pointed a finger at him, “is forcing me to be! Because one of you got inside of me and won’t get out! We are not friends and we are not equals!”

He knew it was true, Larek had said as much, but Max was still hurt by what she said.

“You have to talk to me, Liz,” he finally starts. “At least some of the time. You promised.”

“I tried, Max. I tried to tell you what was happening and you wouldn’t listen.”

“Tell me now.”

“What do you want to know,” she asked lowly. “That I went to a bar, that I picked some guy up and fucked him?“

He looked out the windshield with a scowl. “Liz, you’re the only one who cares about that. I’ve never—“

“You have no feelings about me fucking him?!” He grimaced slightly at her choice of words. “Then
what was that back there, huh?”

“Me getting you on track. We don’t have time for you to flirt with some guy you’ll never see again.”

“So your interest is completely platonic?”

Max took a breath. They’d never, ever, spoken about the bond he was sure they both felt and he wasn’t sure he liked it coming up in this context. Max thought of how he’d felt closing the bathroom door at that hotel knowing what she was going to do just beyond it, about their time together in the institution, about the way he’s caught himself looking at her but just because his thoughts weren’t always friendly, that didn’t mean his motivation wasn’t pure. He could tell her the truth, he should tell her the truth, but he knew if he admitted his attraction she’d never believe him.

He glanced over at her and lied. “Yes.”

She smiled knowingly and shook her head. “Keep telling yourself that. It might come true one day.”

“Not everything is about sex, Liz! I’m your friend. You can tell me anything. I want—“

She reached up to touch her temple while he spoke. “No you’re not. You don’t know what I—“

“—help you but you refuse—“

“Everyday!”

“—Tell me!” He begged. “Tell me what it is.”

She bent her knees up in front of her like she needed something to hide behind. “Never in a million years did you think you’d end up with a girl like me.” She said bitterly, vis-a-vis nothing, and he glanced at her for a moment. Her eyes were puffy as she rested her chin on her knees and he saw the girl from the institution: smart and piercing when she was lucid, erratic and angry when she wasn’t. The girl who knew things no one believed, the girl who wasn’t equipped to carry a secret so big on her own.

Then something inside of his brain clicked. Maybe that’s why she kept bringing what happened back up, she was trying to deflect him. He wanted to pull over, to grab her forearms and make her believe him when he told her he was there. That he would take the extra weight she couldn’t carry. Max’s eyes narrowed. “There’s something else isn’t there? There’s something you’re not telling me.”

She went on, as if he hadn’t spoken at all. “You think I’m disgusting, right?”

Did she think that because of his beliefs? That he would condemn what she’d done because they didn’t agree on certain things? If she did, Liz didn’t know him as well as she thought. Max knew she was more of a victim in all this than he was. He couldn’t blame her for taking whatever forms of escape she had available.

He shook his head, his jaw tight. “You could not be more wrong.”

“Really? Because—“

Something huge slamming into the rear of the van cut whatever she was going to say short and flung them into the dash. His head snapped forward, hit the wheel with a sickening crack and turned his vision a pure, blinding white. Everything around him sounded like it was happening under the ocean, like it was hitting his ears after penetrating layers and layers of another substance.

For a moment, he was transported back to the white clapboard house he grew up in. To mornings before school when he’d shove his head beneath his pillow and his blanket to escape the shrill ring of his alarm, not yet ready to get up and start the day. It felt like years had passed instead of it having been less than a month.

Max became aware of surroundings once again and realized the car was hurtling forward, he pulled his face up and grabbed hold of the wheel. His eyes flickered over to see Liz looking around groggily, one of her eyes filmed red with blood. He didn’t know if it came from the cut above her eye or if she’d burst a blood vessel, but he was worried.

“Liz? Liz, are you okay?!”

“What just—“

“I’m not sure.” He reached toward her, their fight completely forgotten. “Come here—“

It seemed like she didn’t hear him, though. Liz touched the cut on her face and stared at the blood on her hand with a strange look. Then she got up onto her knees and turned to look out of the back window. His eyes darted between her and the road and it didn’t seem like she saw anything at first, then he watched as something began to come together in her mind, as her eyes widened and all of the color drained from her face.

“What do you see, Liz?”

Her mouth opened and closed before she started yelling something he could only make out every other word of.

“…Max…oh God… No!”

“What!?”

She hit his shoulder without looking away from whatever was behind them “You have to go. Go faster, Max! GO!”

He swallowed, his heart a deep thrum in the center of his chest, and didn’t bother to try and look back. Just pressed the accelerator until it hit the floor.

“Liz,” she didn’t answer. “LIZ, WHAT IS IT?!” he repeated and glanced from the road ahead of them to find her looking back. Her face more wide open and innocent than anything he’d ever seen. He was scared suddenly. More afraid than he’d ever been in his life.

“We’re not going to make it,” she whispered, just before whatever was behind them slammed into their back again and the bed of the truck flipped over, throwing them straight up into the air.
Light My Fire
clash868
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Ballad of a Bullet | M/L | 14(A) | 05/15

Post by clash868 »

A/N. I'm so sorry I'm late and that this chapter isn't as long as usual but I've got irl issues and other deadlines to meet so... sorry about that. I'll try not to let that happen again. Thanks so much for the bumps, your interest and your replies. I read and enjoy every single one of them.

---

Part Fourteen A

---

It happened too quickly for Liz to react.

The truck flipped once, throwing her forward and knocking their bags loose, then twice, blowing out the window behind their heads and tossing Liz to the roof of the truck. Her head narrowly missed connecting with the windshield as their car slid across the pavement. Sparks flying at the contact between metal and concrete, before coming to a screeching stop. She was shaking; her elbows and one deep cut above her left eye leaking blood but Liz ignored the pain and tried to focus on breathing.

It was coming, that thing was right behind them.

There was a loud sound then, like something extremely heavy hitting the ground, and Liz watched as a small fissure opened up. It ran the length of the street toward them, disappeared beneath the car and reappeared on it’s other side.

She forced herself to take steady breaths. If she looked back, if she let herself remember what she’d seen before their car went flying, if she let herself realize that this was it. That this was the beginning of the end she would start screaming and never stop.

Liz had thought she knew what was coming. That she was hardened, that she was ready.
Seeing first hand what was to come… She’d had no clue.

The man who was supposed to stop all of this came to her mind then and that’s when she saw Max. He’d been wearing his seatbelt when they crashed and was still locked in, limply hanging from what was now the truck’s ceiling.

A deep cut followed the curve of his jaw, his face was flushed and even though his eyes were closed, she could see them bulging beneath the lids. Liz narrowed her gaze and looked him over. Something was wrong and it only took her a moment to figure out what it was.
the shoulder strap.

It was cutting into his throat, blocking his airway and slowly smothering him. Liz crawled over quickly—this is not how it was all going to end. She would not let him die like this—and grabbed him under his arms before releasing his seatbelt. He fell beside her awkwardly, his lower body making a loud enough noise when it hit the roof that she flinched, but his eyes had begun to flutter with awareness.

“Max?”

He groaned and reached up to touch the bruise at his throat before Liz caught his hand.

“Don’t touch. Come on.” She ordered quickly. Looking from side to side, trying to think of the best place for them to hide. “We have to get out of this car now. We have to get out before—“

She stopped short and he watched her groggily. She could see questions forming in his still vague eyes but this wasn’t the time to answer them.

“We can go into the woods and hide out. Maybe it’ll just… go away.”

She didn’t think either of them truly believed it’s going away was actually an option but what else could she say? That they were going to die. That—even though they were supposed to save the world—she’d seen the enemy and she already knew how this would end?

The pungent scent of gasoline infiltrated her thoughts and kicked Liz’s instincts into high gear. She couldn’t wallow on that anymore. “We’ll go into the woods, okay. This car is leaking and… something’s after us. We can’t sit here anymore.”

He agreed lethargically and she grabbed him under the arms to help him shimmy out of the passenger side window. They held their position for a breathless moment. Waiting to hear of it had caught up to them and checking for the perfect entry point into the thicket of trees before them: not too thin or they’d be spotted immediately, not too thick or they’d have to fight to get through and their struggles would bring attention they didn’t want.

Max was getting his energy back and started to hold more of his own weight. He raised his arm and pointed his finger to the left. “There.” She looked over then turned and met his determined gaze. Liz gave a short nod and held on tightly to his other arm.

“Ready?” She whispered. He took a deep breath and Liz took that as a yes.

They stood and sprinted across the road without taking the time to look around them. They couldn’t stop. They couldn’t let themselves see what they really up against. All they had to do at that moment was survive. Their sneakers fell against the asphalt heavily, Max’s steps dragging slightly but he was beginning to outpace her as they slammed through the branches and undergrowth of their hiding spot.

Trees and brambles pulled at their clothes and hair, dragged across bare skin and called blood up to its surface. They kept running until her heart felt like it would explode, then she ran some more. She looked over and saw a small out rock outcropping. It was lower than the floor of the forest and wold be a perfect place to stop.

Liz nudged him toward it and they ran forward, jumped into it as quickly as they could.

They stood still for what felt like a long time, but what must have been only minutes. Liz stared at the tips of her shoes and breathed as quietly as her body would allow her to. She leaned against the rocks at their back and let herself absorb some of its coolness.

“Liz?”

She kept her eyes closed for a moment longer, like—if she didn’t see him—she wouldn’t have to tell him what was happening. He was going to find out and soon. It didn’t make sense not to share this with him. Liz opened her eyes and let them meet his.

“What was it?”

She shook her head. “I think… I think this is the guy. I think this might be it.”

A heavy beat of quiet passed between them as her words sunk in and his eyes widened in understanding. “No. Shouldn’t we have,” he looked like he was doing some quick math in his head.

“Like six months left?”

She shrugged, feeling helpless. “I don’t know. That’s what Larek said but—“

Max didn’t bother to let her finish. He made a move to leave her side and she grabbed him quickly. Surprised by how panicky she felt at the idea of him leaving her.

“Where are you going?”

“I have to see, Liz.”

“No! You—“

The look on his face stopped her cold and she let the fabric of his shirt slip though her fingers. “I won’t let you do this anymore, Liz. I can’t hide behind you. I have to know.”

She stared at him before she stepped back and he pulled himself up and out of the outcropping they’d taken up residence in. She crouched down low, her elbows on her knees, and listened to the crunch of undergrowth fade as he moved farther away.

Liz closed her eyes and saw It again: The sea colored, blue orb with pulsing, thick white veins running across its surface like a living thing, the electricity snapping across its surface. She dug the heels of her hands into her eyes until all she could see was white.

When she took her palms away and opened her eyes, Max was standing in front of her. She gasped and flinched, Liz hadn’t heard him come back and his sudden appearance surprised her. She was about to say as much when she stopped. His face… His face was empty. Completely devoid of every Max like emotion she had come to be simultaneously annoyed by and strangely protective of.

She wondered if that was how she looked to him just before their car flipped.

He dropped to his knees in front of her as if he couldn’t help it. Like they just couldn’t hold his weight anymore and she crawled toward him. Put her hands on his shoulders and pulled him into their first hug.

He was stiff in her arms. Trying to be strong but her touch broke him down. He slowly began to relax, wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer. She got up on her knees so they were touching pelvis to shoulder and he took a deep breath, shoved his face against the side of her neck and squeezed her so tightly she could barely breathe but she didn’t move to push him away.

The thing after them had done what a kidnapping, weeks on the run, a carjacking, endless discussions and fights and months locked up in an asylum had been unable to. It connected them. It took this moment for Liz to believe, to really accept, Max as her partner.

It made her forget whatever awkwardness still existed between them and feel like she needed him as much as he needed her. That scared Liz almost as much as that thing out on the road.

The next words out of her mouth were a whisper.

“Larek can fight it.”

“What?”

She wanted to pull him closer, to let him hold her and to cry in his arms. He would let her, she was sure of it but they couldn’t stop. Not now. Not when everything had just been kicked into high gear.
She pulled her face away and met his gaze slowly. Voice flat and serious because they both knew what she said and what it meant.

“Larek can fight it.”
Last edited by clash868 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light My Fire
clash868
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: The Ballad of a Bullet | M/L | Pt.14(B) | 07/02 | A

Post by clash868 »

A/N. I'm still working on 15 (it'll be up soon) but here's the second part to Chapter 14 to tide you over. I hope everyone enjoys it.

---

Part 14B

---

She expected him to fight her on it like he had when they’d first gone on the run. To try and search for another way but he doesn’t say anything for a moment. His eyes were darting around the forest floor but it didn’t seem like they ever lit on anything long enough to actually see it. “It’s the only way, isn’t it?”

Liz knew then that as much as that thing behind them has changed her, it changed him too.

“Looks like it,” she responded flatly, steeling herself for what was to come. “You can’t control your powers well enough to go out there and I don’t think throwing rocks and sticks at it will make much of a difference.”

He let out a sharp bark of laughter that ended as quickly as it began and started taking deep breaths, running his hands up and down arms that had erupted in goose flesh despite the heat of the day. “How would we—“

“You’d have to help me—“

He shook his head quickly, that boy from the hospital making his swift return, as Max took an uncertain step back. “I—“

Can’t better not be the next word out of your mouth!” Liz ordered quietly. “We don’t have time to discuss this and I can’t do it by myself!”

Max watched her warily and ran his hand through his hair. “How would I…”

Liz shrugged, cleared her throat and took a breath, knowing he wouldn’t like what she had to say next. “We don’t have many options out here—“

“I’m not hitting you,” he declared quickly, his voice too loud.

Liz pulled her shoulders inward, trying to make herself as small as possible, and glared at him. “Lower your voice!”

“I’m not hitting you,” he repeated through clenched teeth after looking over his shoulder and moving lower into their hiding place. “I just…”

“Okay,” she agreed quickly.

He shook his head and continued. “I can’t do that.”

“We’ll think of something else—“

“Like what?”

She looked around them. “A rock maybe?”

Jesus,” he muttered as his hand went up toward the center of his chest, the exact spot Liz knew the cross beneath his shirt would be.

“I know that sounds harsh but I don’t see what else—“ She stopped short as half forgotten conversations they’d had right after he’d freed her forced themselves to the forefront of her mind.

“What?” He asked curiously. “What are you thinking?”

“Your powers…”

“You know I can’t control them,” he replied carefully.

“But you can sometimes, right? I saw what you did to Sam and you told me about how you can unlock doors and how you got into the hospital. It seems like, when there’s some pressure on you and you only have a small area to concentrate on, you can use them just fine.” She hesitates only a moment before going on. “You told me about what you did to Sean—”

“But I didn’t do that on purpose,” he cut in. “For all I know, Sean’s dead, Liz! You can’t expect me to—“

“I don’t think you killed him,” she said, feeling more secure in her belief as the words left her mouth. “It would’ve been on the news if he’d died.”

“You’re already hurt though,“ he replied, obviously surveying the many cuts and scrapes she’d received during their crash. Looking for a way out something that was becoming more and more set in stone.

“Not enough for him to take over. For Larek to be able to…” she didn’t want to use the word control, but it was the only descriptor that would fit so she didn’t say anything. “I have to be knocked out for this to work.”

“I—“

“The next word out of your mouth better not be can’t,” she repeated gently.

He watched her, his eyes soft, until she broke his gaze. “I don’t want to hurt you, Liz.”

“I know,” she replied and looked up again, putting her hand on his tentatively. “That’s why I trust you to help me.”

He didn’t want to, she could see it in every line of his body but she can’t do it for the both of them this time and she doesn’t want to, if she’s being honest with herself. His desire to be treated as her equal and Liz’s earlier acceptance of his new role in their relationship had been freeing in a way she’d never expected.

Everything wasn’t all on her now. She finally had someone to share her defeats as well as her glories. Liz got up onto her knees and took a deep, cleansing breath. “There’s no time to discuss this anymore, Max. Do you hear that?”

He didn’t seem to understand at first, but she saw the change in his face as he finally heard the quiet surrounding them. No birds were singing in the canopy above, no small animals rustled through the dried leaves beneath their feet.

The land around them should have been alive with the sounds of nature, but it was completely silent.

She didn’t say anything else after that, she didn’t have to. He understood what would happen to the both of them—to the world—if that thing caught up.

His nod was almost imperceptive and she sighed in relief that he was finally giving in. She was about to turn away from him when he stopped her. “Can you sit flat?”

She didn’t understand what he was doing but she doesn’t fight him, just does as he asks, her legs straight out in front of her, and she watched curiously as he grasped her sneaker.

“I thought your shoes and socks might buffer…” he looks at a loss for a moment. “it a little and I don’t want to—.” He cut off mid sentence but she had already finished his thought.

He wants to stay away from my brain and heart. If something goes wrong, he doesn’t want them to cook.” The realization came to her quickly and she had to force herself not to pull away from his grasp.

He held her gently—one hand on her tennis shoe, the other over the jeans at her ankle—and didn’t look up as he spoke. “You ready?”

“I’m ready,” she replied before she could think better of it.

Nothing happened at first, then she could feel heat—warm, slow pulses of it—lapping at her in dull waves. It didn’t hurt, not exactly, but it certainly wasn’t comfortable either. His power was startling, like static shock multiplied by a 100 and she knew this was probably only a small percentage of what he was actually capable of.

“Okay,” he murmured under his breath, sweating bullets and speaking more to himself than to her but she nodded anyway, trying to ready herself as his hold tightened. The second burst of heat from his palms warmed up faster and went hotter than the first, making her gasp in pain and turning the edges of her vision black. It felt like her blood should be vaporizing in her veins.

Then something happened, some extra amp in his power and she could feel him, Larek, there. He was a bright silver light on the edge of her quickly dwindling consciousness, a warm blanket on a cold night, a bottomless pit, ready to swallow her whole.
Light My Fire