One of Us (M/M, CC, AU, Adult) Chapter 26 - Oct 25 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

bluejanuar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: One of Us (M/M, CC, AU, Adult) Chapter 20 - Jun 12, 2011

Post by bluejanuar »

Hey Folks, I’m back again with a new part. I’ve had a bit of trouble with this so please let me know what you think about it. Enjoy!

Eve:
Sorry for your dog, it's hard! :(
Thank you. I miss her a great deal.

Yes, Michael is in a real dilemma: report Hank and risk his mother going to jail with him or keep quiet and protect them both with the very real possibility of Hank hurting someone else.

Moomin:
Aww sorry about your dog :-( Smilla is such a lovely name by the way!
Thank you so much!
Um, I think I'm gonna say what I always seem to say in my feedback: poor Michael!
:D You know what’s funny? I also seem to get that a lot over on CID, lol. Weird . . .

I understand your feelings regarding Michael’s mother and Hank, but you have to see that, despite everything, Michael loves her and doesn’t want her to be locked away. What he wants and what he gets might not be the exact same thing, though . . .

For now, Michael is safe. The Sheriff is on the case now and Maria is making sure that Michael has a place to sleep for the next couple of days.

I agree in that Hank is very dangerous and he should be locked away as fast as possible.

Author’s note: One line is borrowed from the novel “Outlander” by Diana Gabaldon.

Chapter Twenty-one – Demons

Jim Valenti lightly rapped his knuckles against the wooden door, listening intently for any sounds from within. There were none, so, in a sudden decision, he pushed open the door and stuck his head through the small crack, quietly asking, “Hey, son, can I come in?”

Kyle was lying curled up on his bed, facing the wall. The clutter surrounding him from all sides was making the small room appear even more confined, provoking an almost claustrophobic feeling in Jim. But Kyle seemed to like living in this mess, and the Sheriff had long since given up hope that the youthful disorder would someday resolve itself on its own. And with Tess and her own deficiencies in the cleaning up department, all dreams of having a tidy and clean house had gone out the window.

Now Kyle shrugged curtly, and his voice was muffled against the pillow when he answered, “If you want. But I’m really not in the mood to talk right now.”

“You don’t have to.” Jim slowly walked into the room and gingerly sat down on the edge of the bed at Kyle’s back. The mattress tilted under his weight. “Tess told me what happened,” he offered, hoping to prompt a response with the remark. But Kyle stayed silent. “I brought you an icepack.”

After a minute or two of mutual silence, Kyle finally cracked. Sighing in exasperation, he sat up and turned to face his father, taking the offered ice pack from his hands. “Thanks,” he mumbled, staring at his hands.

“Wow.” The Sheriff watched his son and whistled tonelessly through his teeth. “Michael packs quite a punch, doesn’t he?” The sight of the swollen, black and blue flesh around his son’s eye shocked him more than he wanted to let on, especially since he knew that it wasn’t just the result of a mindless teenage brawl but a serious fight with Kyle’s best friend.

Kyle glowered at him, instantly defensive on his friend’s behalf. “It wasn’t his fault. I was practically begging for it.”

Jim had to smile at that. Even when fighting, Kyle never hesitated to step into the breach for Michael. “Didn’t know you were into pain so much,” he remarked dryly. “Have you talked to him, yet?”

“I can’t, Dad!” he moaned, looking at his father with pleading eyes. “It’s like . . . I don’t even know how to explain it. I mean, we’ve been best friends for years, and then something like this happens to him and he doesn’t even think it necessary to tell me about it. It’s so . . . I don’t know!” He waved the forgotten icepack in the air in search of a fitting word. “I feel so . . .”

“Betrayed?” the Sheriff prompted gently.

“Yes, betrayed.” He collapsed back on the bed and covered both of his eyes with the ice pack, hiding behind it. His voice held a mixture of misery and self-loathing when he continued, “God, I’m such a horrible person! Your son is a horrible person, Dad. My best friend gets beaten up with a baseball bat and all I can do is give him shit about it because he didn’t tell me. I mean, who even does that?”

Jim helplessly watched his son’s unhappiness. It was moments like these that he wished that Susan, his ex-wife and Kyle’s mother, hadn’t left them alone back then, because he really didn’t feel equipped to help his son with the emotional side of his problems. Lately, Tess had taken care of these things, but now Kyle needed his father, so Jim had to suck it up and step in to be there for him. With faked seriousness, he ordered, “Stop talking shit about my son, Kyle.” His big hand found Kyle’s shoulder almost without his own help, and he squeezed to let him have a little comfort through the bodily contact. “Seriously now, you’re not a horrible person. It’s perfectly normal to feel the way you do.”

“I’m ashamed, Dad,” Kyle admitted hoarsely, seemingly on the verge of crying, but it was hard to tell with his eyes still covered by the ice pack. “I wasn’t a very good friend for Michael.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself. He isn’t completely innocent, either, and I bet he knows that.” Jim sat back. It was time to get down to business and do something to help the kids through this mess. “So, the name of the guy is ‘Hank’, right? Do you know his last name?” he asked, but upon seeing Kyle just shaking his head, he continued in a reassuring voice, “That’s okay, I’m gonna find out anyway. I’ll look into him as soon as I’m back at the station, see what we have on him. Do you know what the fight between him and Michael was about?”

“No, we didn’t exactly have a rational conversation after I saw him with that bruise.”

Jim nodded thoughtfully. “Listen, Kyle, I’m gonna have to talk to Michael about this. You know, ask some questions, see if he’s going to press charges, but I was thinking that maybe we should leave him alone for today, let him get some rest since he’s kinda had a rough time lately. Tess told me that he’s at Maria Deluca’s house right now. I understand they’re good friends?”

Kyle nodded. “She’s his girlfriend.”

“Okay, good. So he has someone to take care of him for now, and tomorrow we’re going to drive over there and talk to him, alright?”

Finally, the ice pack came off and revealed Kyle’s horrified expression when he asked, “Do I have to come with you?”

“Kyle . . .” Jim sighed. “I can’t force you to come, but I strongly suggest that you do. Michael needs all the support he can get right now and for you it would be better to get this fight outta the way, too.”

Kyle bit his bottom lip, contemplating, before he slowly said, “I’ll think about it.”

“That’s all I’m asking.”

Maria eyed the empty pizza carton on the coffee table, its splotched cardboard lid right in her line of sight from where she was lying on the living room couch. “We need to go grocery shopping tomorrow.”

“Mmmm,” came the distracted response. Michael, stretched behind her with one arm slung around her waist, was watching the closing credits of “Braveheart” with much more attention than the movie deserved in her opinion.

They had been watching DVDs all through the evening, lounging lazily on the couch and ordering food when the hunger pangs got too much to ignore and the fridge didn’t provide any acceptable sustenance. Now it was very late already, almost midnight, and after their movie marathon Maria was feeling a growing yearning for her soft bed and a long, undisturbed night of peaceful slumber. Who would have thought that doing nothing could be so exhausting?

Michael, after having his wish for the last film of the night granted, had spent the past few hours quietly enjoying his favorite movie, snuggling close to her back, but otherwise so absorbed with the TV that he was completely unapproachable.

Maria, not so keen on watching hundreds upon hundreds of dying warriors herself, had let her mind wander to the eventful days that lay past them and mulled over the numerous possibilities the uncertain future would bring for Michael. It really only depended on what Michael would decide to do: report Hank and let his mother go to jail with him, or not say anything to the police and live with the very great chance that Hank would hurt another person badly.

Maria felt the sudden, strong desire for a huge dish of strawberry ice cream. It was the perfect comfort food when she needed something to help her deal with her problems; a sweet, cold balm for the soul. But the fridge was empty. Not even a chocolate pudding in there anymore. Which brought her back to the absolute necessity of going shopping tomorrow. Her mom had the Jetta, so their only means for transportation to the store would be . . .

“Where did you leave your bike?” she asked Michael abruptly, half-turning around in his arms. “I didn’t see it when I came home this morning.”

Seemingly with great difficulty, he tore his eyes away from the screen, answering, “Back porch. I put it under that big old tree for shelter so it wouldn’t get rained on too much.”

Maria’s eyes grew wide. “The oak?” she squeaked. “Oh, Michael! My mom just planted some spring flowers under that tree! If you ran over them she is going to kill you!”

“Oops,” he said, looking at her sheepishly. Then, as if trying to convince himself, he confidently stated, “Well, they would have died, anyway, there’s too much shadow in that spot.”

Maria chuckled gleefully. “Save me front row seats when you try to explain that to her, please.”

Now he did look a little uncertain when he slowly said, “She’s a reasonable woman. She’ll understand.”

Maria broke down in laughter at hearing her mother described as “reasonable”, shaking and snorting against his chest. She really had to make sure she was in the near vicinity when her mother discovered the damage Michael’s bike had undoubtedly done to her precious garden. Slowly, the last of her giggles died, and she had to let out a huge yawn, trying to cover it up with the back of her hand.

Michael, who had stoically endured her laughing at him, took the yawn as a sign of her tiredness and softly asked, “Wanna go to bed?”

“To bed?” she asked mischievously and winked at him. “Or to sleep?”

He grinned. “That’s all up to you. Just know that I’m not tired at all . . .”

“You’re not?” She tapped her chin in pretended thoughtfulness. “Hmm, what should we do about that?”

He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively when he offered, “I could think of a thing or two . . .” Then he bent down and began softly nibbling on her earlobe.

“Really?” she breathed.

“Uh-huh,” he confirmed, continuing to kiss his way down her throat. After a moment, he murmured against her skin, “You know that I feel slightly discriminated?”

She swallowed. It was hard to concentrate on what he was saying when all her body wanted was to focus on what he was doing. “Why would you feel that way?” she asked, a little breathlessly.

He stopped what he was doing, pulling back to look at her. His mouth quirked when he said, “It’s just the fact that you’ve already seen me shirtless, whereas I . . . Well, let’s just say that I have touched, but I haven’t had the privilege to look . . .”

She laughed at this approach. “Oh, you’re right. This horrible injustice must be eliminated right away.” She sat up and swiftly pulled her shirt off, leaving her in her jeans and a pink bra. She felt a fleeting flutter of nervousness pass over her in the wake of his eyes traveling her upper body in appreciation. “Better?” she asked.

“Much.” He smiled and kissed her. Then he shifted around on the couch, pulling her down to lie on top of him, not once taking his lips away from her mouth. His hands slowly trailed up and down her bare back, causing her to break out in delightful shivers where his skin met hers. When his fingers encountered the fabric of her bra, they traced the edges until they found the snap in the back. There, he hesitated, and Maria bit his lip in encouragement, smiling when he hissed faintly at the light sting. His hands made quick work of the snap, pushing aside the fabric to continue their journey across her bare skin undisturbed.

Maria moaned into his mouth, pressing herself even closer to him. She could feel his own growing excitement between them, urgent and hard, and, encouraged by his responses, trailed her hand down to stroke the inside of his thigh.

He sighed in appreciation when she touched him there, but stopped short a second later, breaking the kiss and craning his neck to peer out of the living room window. It was pitch-black outside, their surroundings only lit by the TV screen, but he narrowed his eyes and looked into the darkness in search of something she couldn’t comprehend.

“What are you looking for?” she asked, puzzled.

He shrugged one shoulder and casually said, “Just checking to make sure we’re not giving your neighbors an eyeful.”

Maria briefly glanced at the half-drawn curtains and the house of the Grahams who, if they were so inclined, could indeed look right into their living room. “So what?” She grinned unconcernedly. “If it gets them off spying on us making out, just let them.”

His eyes widened at that statement and, in playful shock, he accused her, “You’re naughty!”

She laughed freely at his put-on outrage. “So? You’re raunchy,” she retorted.

“I’m not!” He made a face in indignation. “I’m a perfectly honorable man.” But his palms on her bare sides and his thumbs brushing repeatedly against the sides of her breasts belied his statement. Both of them broke down in laughter, shaking and snorting in each other’s arms.

When they had calmed down enough for her to talk, she leaned down to bring her face close to his. Her cheeks felt hot from laughing and the excitement of being near him. “Michael?” she asked, her voice low and flirtatious.

He stilled and just watched her. “Yeah?”

Slowly, she brought her mouth to his ear, whispering, “Touch me . . .”

It was dark.

In her dreams, it was almost always dark. No light shone in the narrow alley where she lay on the ground, struggling with Him and praying that, unlike the other dreams, this time, she would be the first to reach the knife.

Once again, the back of her hand bumped against the handle of the knife on the ground. She gripped the handle, but yet again, his large hand closed around hers over the handle, bruising her knuckles with the force. No matter how often she dreamed about it, the outcome was always the same.

It was always the same. The struggle for the knife. Her fear. The overwhelming hopelessness in the face of his physical advantages. And then, as she was almost ready to give up the fight, the sudden shift in their bodies and the feel of the blade gliding into flesh.

There was no fear. And no pain. Only darkness . . .

Maria started up into a sitting position, half-asleep still, with the comforter clutched tightly in a white-knuckled grasp. Her heart was beating frantically against her ribs, like a little bird trying to escape its tight cage, and she stared into the blackness around her, momentarily disoriented. Then her gaze fell on the green blanket covering her from hip down, and Mr. Bear, the purple stuffed animal, on the foot of the bed, and she remembered where she was. Not on the cold, dark streets of Albuquerque with the dark man on top of her, pressing her into the hard pavement. And there was no knife in her fingers and no blood on her hands. She was in Roswell. At home. In her bed. In her bed with . . .

Maria quickly turned her head to the side, and indeed, there beside her lay Michael, fast asleep. After their hot and heavy make-out session earlier, they had climbed into her bed together and quickly fallen asleep.

Now, though, by the looks of it, he wasn’t having a very peaceful dream, either. His brows were pulled together into a deep frown and his eyes were moving restlessly behind closed lids. A thin sheen of sweat covered his forehead and the high cheekbones.

It was very warm in the room. Maria cautiously pulled the blanket down to his waist to let him cool off a little and quietly slipped out of bed, walking over to the window and pushing it open all the way. The faint night breeze floated into the room, stirring the curtains and enveloped her in a brief, cool embrace.

The thick carpet swallowed every sound of her steps when she walked out of the room and down the hallway. When she reached the bathroom, her fingers fumbled for a second in the dark before they found the light switch on the wall. Glaringly bright light blinded her and she had to cover her eyes to avoid the uncomfortable sensation until her eyes had adjusted to the brightness after the gloom of her unlit bedroom. She opened the cabinet beside the sink and took out the familiar bottle of medicine, sighing deeply when she took out one of the little white pills. She hated that she was so dependent on them, but she knew from experience that, after a dream like the one she had had just now, she would never be able to fall asleep on her own again tonight.

“What are you doing?”

Maria spun around at the voice speaking behind her and nearly dropped the pill in the sink. “Michael!” she exclaimed, wide-eyed, clutching a hand to her racing heart. “You scared me.”

“What are you doing up?” he repeated sleepily, rubbing his eyes against the painfully bright bathroom light.

“I, uh, nothing.” She closed her fingers around the pill and moved her hand a little to the back while trying to sound inconspicuous. “Go back to bed, I’ll be there in a minute.”

“What are you hiding there?” Of course he had seen the movement and reached for her hand, frowning when he caught sight of the one white globule on her palm. “What is this?” He instantly looked more alert and not at all happy.

Maria sighed when he took the pellet from her hand and inspected them suspiciously. “It’s just a mild sleeping pill, Michael. Don’t worry about it.”

“Sleeping pill?” His frown deepened when he looked up at her accusingly. “Why would you need sleeping pills?”

“Just . . .” Maria flapped her hands against her sides, at a loss for words. Defensively, she burst out, “God, sometimes I just don’t sleep so well, okay? The pills help me to get back to sleep instead of lying awake for the rest of the night. Now, can I have it back, please?” She held open her palm expectantly.

“No.”

“Excuse me?” She frowned at him.

“I said no,” he repeated calmly. “I don’t want you to take this. No drugs.” With that, he let the pill fall into the sink and flushed it down the drain with a quick turn of the faucet.

Maria’s eyes widened, and for a second, she didn’t know if she should be mad at him or not. “But-”

“Please, Maria,” he pleaded, taking both of her hands in his big paws. “Can’t we just talk for a little while or something? Maybe then you’ll be able to fall asleep again.”

Against her will, her mouth quirked at this uncharacteristic suggestion.

His brow lifted when he saw her expression, and he unconsciously mimicked her smile. “What’s so funny?”

Chuckling with sudden mirth, she said, “The fact that, A, you of all people are offering to talk, and B, that you expect me to fall asleep while talking to you.”

He smiled wryly, acknowledging the humor of the situation. “Well, I guess we’ll see, then.” He nodded at the sink, earnest once again. “You don’t need those. Come on.” With that, he pulled her out of the bathroom, switching the light off in passing and leading her down the dark hallway back to her bedroom.

The fresh night air coming in from the window had helped to cool down the room to such a degree that Maria gladly crawled back under the covers, shivering in the sudden chill. She gratefully nestled up against Michael’s side, who had climbed into bed beside her and now pulled her into his body, holding her close and safe.

For a few minutes, they just lay there in silence, enjoying each other’s warmth.

When Maria began to speak, her voice was very low. She absently caressed his arm with her forefinger while she talked. “Do you remember what I told you about Sean?”

“Uh . . . yeah . . .?” he replied uncertainly. It was very apparent that he was wondering where this conversation was going.

“How he died, I mean,” she clarified.

“Yeah, you told me he was shot, right?”

“Uh-huh.” She nodded, her cheek rubbing against the soft cotton of his shirt. “Sometimes . . . sometimes, I have nightmares,” she admitted haltingly. “I dream about what happened that night . . .”

“What . . .” He lifted up on his elbow beside her, peering down at her. “Wait, you . . . You mean you were there?!” he asked, and his voice held a tone of unbelieving shock. “You were there when your cousin was shot?!”

She nodded miserably and let herself get hugged tightly to his chest, taking comfort from his strong arms around her.

“Shit!” he quietly cursed into her hair while he rocked her gently back and forth.

“I didn’t . . .” She swallowed thickly past the lump in her throat. “I wasn’t standing . . . I mean, I didn’t actually see . . .” She trailed off, hoping for him to understand without her having to say it out loud. And he did.

“Shhh, it’s okay,” he murmured soothingly. “You don’t have to say it.”

“Yes, I do!” she objected fiercely, pulling away from his embrace to scowl at him. “I need to tell you. Everything.” She remembered how he had laid himself open before her in the past few days, and how much it had cost him to show his fears and insecurities. “No more secrets.”

He nodded slowly. “Okay. No more secrets,” he agreed. He scooted back to sit against the headboard of the bed, looking at her patiently.

She followed him and leaned her cheek against his shoulder, taking his hand between her smaller ones and playing with his fingers while Mr. Bear stared at them disapprovingly, lying on the side at their feet, knocked over by their movements.

“It was in October,” she began. He knows that already, idiot, she berated herself silently. She took a shaky breath and continued. “We had been at a party together. It was Jill’s birthday party. Jill, that’s, uh, that was my friend from school.” She looked up at him, and he just nodded patiently, indicating to her to go on.

“Anyway . . .” she went on. “They were . . . they were waiting for us when we turned the corner to Walnut Street.” She snorted suddenly, before hastily running on. “I honestly don’t know why they chose that name. I mean, there are just endless blocks of houses, and not a single tree there. Not Walnut or Chestnut or-”

“Maria . . .” Michael softly interrupted her blabbering.

She swallowed, embarrassed. “Sorry. So, they were waiting for us. Or, not specifically for us, but . . . you know, for someone.” She went on when he nodded and squeezed her hand. “There were four men. Two big, bulky ones, a scrawny, mean one and the leader. He was big. And scary.” Involuntarily, she shuddered, recalling the horror of that night. “They were all scary. I don’t know what they were looking for, exactly. Maybe money . . . But they didn’t ask for cash. They . . . I think they just wanted to have some ‘fun’ with us,” she said bitterly. “Their . . . the leader had a long knife and he tried to use it to threaten Sean. The scrawny one with the rat face . . . he . . . had the gun stuck in the waistband of his pants and Sean – that idiot! – saw it and he . . . he created a diversion so I could run away . . .” Her hands clamped down on Michael’s unconsciously and she whispered, “I was so scared. For me. And even more for him . . . But I ran, anyway . . .” She swallowed convulsively, then forced the next words out, “I ran and tried to get help, but h-he followed me. And he had the knife . . .”

She whirled around in panic, and there he was, not fifty yards away from her. The tall, dark man with the pointed nose and the feral smile, metal blade in hand and murder in his eyes. She turned and hammered at the door with renewed urgency “HELP ME!” she screamed.

“Now, now, sweetheart,” he chuckled in a low voice, slowly advancing in a threatening stalk. “You’ll wake the whole neighborhood. Come with me, I’ll take you back to your curly friend and we can have a nice talk, hm? I ain’t gonna hurt you,” he lied.

She applied another futile salve of thumps to the unyielding door, then pressed her back flat against it, as if she could flow to safety by sheer osmosis. “Leave me alone,” she whispered. Desperation washed over her when he came another step closer. There was nowhere to go for her, nowhere to hide and no one to help her. A sob escaped her.

“There’s no use in cryin’, sweetheart,” he said in a false soothing voice and an insane glint in his black eyes. “No one’s comin’ for you, you know? Might as well get it over with.”

He’s right, she thought while the tears streamed down her cheeks. No one’s coming.

The citizens of Albuquerque had bolted their homes against the creatures of the night and would not open them again.

Hopelessness threatened to overwhelm her, but she clenched her jaw against the fear, scraping together as much courage as she could gather and tried to sidestep him on the gravel walk.

He mimicked her movements easily, the grin widening when he, too, realized that she would not be able to get away. He slowly crept closer to her. Another step would bring him into reach with her.

In a last, desperate attempt, Maria lunged to the left, trying to run past him in one quick move.

He grabbed for her with lightning speed, yet she would have escaped if it wasn’t for the tiny stones of gravel that rolled away under her feet, making her lose her balance for a split-second. This fractional slip was all it took for him to reach her. She felt the pull on her jacket just before her forward momentum abruptly came to a stop, pushing the air out of her lungs.

And then he was on top of her, forcing her down on the ground with his whole weight, grunting and panting in her ear. He clamped his hand over her mouth, stifling her scream to a strangled whimper when he laughed breathlessly in her ear, “Now, now, Sweetheart, don’t be like that. I know you want it, too.”

She flailed her arms in a futile attempt to get a hold on him and make him let go, forcing the oxygen through her nose while he held her mouth shut. But he was so much bigger and stronger than her. She felt herself being dragged over the gravel, painfully scraping her knees. When they reached the entrance to a small alley, so narrow that it was pitch-black where the artificial light of the street lamps on Walnut Street weren’t able to penetrate the darkness anymore, she kicked and scratched and bit for her life, because she knew that if he succeeded in dragging her in there she would never see the light again.

He grunted when her heel slammed against his shin with all her might, and suddenly there was something cold and hard on her throat, digging into her skin. She instantly stopped the struggle, suppressing the shudder when he hissed into her ear, “Stop that, you little whore, or I’ll kill you before we get to the good part!”

He pushed her the last steps into the alley, taking no heed of her faltering steps when she tripped over a bit of trash and stumbled, crying and whimpering as she fell against the brick wall in front of her. He painfully twisted her arm on her back, pressing her to her knees with brute force. She moaned in pain when the hard pavement bruised the skin on her knees, but was silenced almost immediately again by the point of the knife pressed to her throat. She was paralyzed with fear, eyes blind in the utter darkness and unable to move in his painful grip, her heart beating out of control.

Suddenly, the hand twisting her arm released her, though the knife still dug into the skin below her chin, rendering her immobile. She felt his big body kneel behind her, and then his hand between her legs, pushing up her denim skirt, followed by the sound of his fingers fumbling with his zipper.

“No!” she cried in panic, and then the sharp pain when her head was yanked back by the hair.

“Shut up, you little bitch!” he snarled into her ear.

Now she began to cry in earnest, the deep, wracking sobs of despair shaking her body as she kneeled on all fours in the pitch-black alley, the knife on her throat and the rapist so close behind her. She felt his naked erection brush against her thigh and flinched away from him in fear, but his grip on her hair effectively stopped her.

He pushed away her panties, grunting and breathing heavily into her ear, and readied himself to enter her, when the sound of a window being opened above them made him freeze.

“Hello?” a muffled, female voice asked from the inscrutable darkness over their heads. “Is someone there?”

The hand holding the knife lowered, silently putting the weapon on the ground before his palm came up to clamp over her mouth. “Make a sound, and you’re dead,” he whispered dangerously into her ear.

Maria shivered with fear. And with cold. She felt so cold. And alone. Another tear slipped down her cheek when she realized she would never laugh again with Sean or try out new recipes with her mother. This man would rape her and then kill her and leave her here in the cold. A wave of nausea rolled over her when a cloud of his stench filled her nostrils. She felt such a sudden, overwhelming surge of revulsion and, surprisingly, rage against this man, that all coherent thought fled her. She took one last deep, strained breath through her nose and bit him in the hand with all her might.

His hand fell away with a hollow curse and Maria had to suppress the urge to vomit from the taste of blood on her tongue. “HELP ME!” she screamed upwards. “PLEASE, HEL-”

A numbing blow to her temple cut her off, throwing her to the ground. In seconds, his body was on top of her, forcing the air from her lungs with his weight. “You bitch!” he hissed and slapped her across the face.

She wanted to scream again, but was so winded from the attack that the yell dwindled to a hoarse yelp, hardly loud enough for anyone to hear her. Tiny sharp stones dug into her back. She struggled with him, trying to throw him off, fighting with nails and teeth and claws to get away. She didn’t see anything, didn’t hear anything, only felt his hot, stinking breath on her face and his oppressive weight on top of her.

“Say good night, bitch!” One of his large hands came up and pressed down on her windpipe.

The breath rattled in her throat when she clawed at his hand and tried to inhale, desperate for oxygen. Her hands flailed, searching for something – anything – to hold onto, to use as a weapon against him in a last, overwhelming need to breathe.

And then the back of her hand bumped against the handle of the forgotten knife. She gripped the handle, but at the same time, in a hunter’s instinct for danger, his large hand clamped down over hers on the handle with bruising strength.

Acutely aware that this was her last chance to survive, she lifted her head and bit his lip, clenching the sensitive skin between her teeth even as she tasted blood. He grunted and tried to get away from the unexpected pain. She used this momentary distraction to bring the knife between their bodies. He brutally punched her in the face, forcing her to let go of his lip, but not of the knife. Both of them were now struggling to bring the sharp blade in position to stab the other and after fighting for what felt like hours, but couldn’t have been more than seconds, Maria felt the shift, and then the blade gliding into flesh. First the horrible resistance when the point pierced the skin, then the easier slide into the soft abdomen. Oddly enough, all the fear had left her. Both of them were utterly still for a second. Her cold fingers still held on to the handle, cramped around the metal while the blood flowed freely over her hands. She didn’t feel any pain.

Then his heavy body collapsed on top of her with a soft, almost surprised moan, driving the blade even deeper into his abdomen and pinning her smaller form to the ground.

It was dark. And it was cold. Maria couldn’t move, couldn’t free herself from the dead weight holding her down and the almost unbearable stink of his sweat and blood. She was completely and utterly spent. She felt nothing. Breathing with difficulty, staring into the blinding darkness and hearing nothing but the soft rush of her own breathing as it left her lungs, she waited. She waited for death, or for someone to come, or for life to return to her to give her the energy she needed to push him off of her.

She might have lain there forever, had not a dull bang broken the silence surrounding her. A shot in the distance.
Sean! With almost inhuman effort, she managed to roll the body of her attacker to the side, sliding out from under him and freeing herself at last. Her clothes were drenched with his blood but she barely noticed when she scrambled to her feet to get back to her beloved cousin, praying to God that she wouldn’t be too late, too late, too late . . .

“I left him there in the alley,” Maria whispered in an emotionless voice. During her story, she had unconsciously pressed herself into Michael’s body, seeking warmth and protection against the onslaught of memories. Now she looked up into his pale face. He looked shocked and drawn by what she had told him, but his arms around her waist still held her steadily to him, not wavering. Almost defiantly, she continued, “I thought he might be dying, but I didn’t care. All I wanted was to get back to Sean as fast as possible. I was so weak that I fell a couple of times on my way back, and when I reached the corner, there was no trace of the three others, but Seanie was there . . .” She trailed off, her eyes staring sightlessly ahead. “He was lying on his back, and he . . . he didn’t look dead. He looked like he was sleeping.” She smiled faintly when she remembered. “His eyes where closed and he was s-smiling as if he’d just been told a really good joke.” The smile faded again when she went on, whispering, “But there was blood, too. So much blood. It was all over his shirt and there was even a puddle under him. I didn’t know that one body contained so much blood. I tried to wake him and tell him that he would be alright, that everything would be fine again, but he didn’t respond.” She paused. “He . . . he was already gone . . .”

Michael didn’t say anything coherent for a while. He just held her tightly, rocking both of them gently back and forth and murmuring soothing nonsense in her ear, as much to comfort her as himself. When he finally did speak, he whispered, “I don’t know what to say. I’m so sorry.”

Maria clung tightly to his shirt, still caught in the memory. Quietly, she went on, “Someone must have called the police, maybe the person at the window, because they came and took me and Sean’s b-body to the hospital. They told me later that the man in the alley really was dead. The knife had pierced his abdominal artery. Chances are that he had bled to death before I even left him there. The police identified him as Harold Wagner. He was wanted for armed assault, but until that night, the police hadn’t been able to catch him.” She snorted dryly. “Well, that problem’s solved, at least.” In a low voice, she said, “They never found the other three. Though the police had a hunch on their identities, they just vanished from the face of the earth.” She swallowed. “After that, I just stopped.”

“Stopped?” Michael echoed quietly.

“Yes. I stopped. I stopped eating and sleeping. And I stopped talking and generally feeling anything. I dropped into a depression so severe that my mother had to have me committed to a . . . a facility for traumatized youths. I had lost twenty pounds in the span of a couple of weeks so she had no choice but to force me to go there to get help.”

“How long were you there?”

She smiled. A real smile, this time. “Till February. I got released just a few days before we came to Roswell.”

“And now you’re . . .” He hesitated. “Healed?”

Maria sighed. “Well, I still have the nightmares now and then, though they aren’t as bad and as frequent as before, but we meant to look for a psychiatrist here in town so I could continue therapy here. Just . . . somehow we’ve always put it off. I guess Mom and me, we were both hoping that I didn’t need it anymore.”

“And do you?” He caressed her face, watching to read the answer from her features.

She frowned slightly, thinking. “I’m not sure. It probably couldn’t hurt, right?”

He kissed her on the forehead. “No, it definitely couldn’t hurt,” he agreed.

“Are you suggesting again that I’m nuts?” she asked with forced lightheartedness.

He smiled gratefully. “I thought we already established that.”

When Maria woke up, it was already bright mid-morning. A look to the open window revealed the pale blue sky and the occasional bird swooshing by in front of the glass pane. The clouds had vanished, leaving the morning sunny and warm, with the gentle spring breeze dancing into the room and greeting her.

She stretched lazily in wonderment. Never in a million years had she expected to be able to sleep without the sleeping pills. After Maria had relived the horror of that night in October, Michael had lain with her quietly, just holding her for hours until finally her eyes had fallen shut and she had drifted off to sleep again.

Her elbow accidentally bumped against him sleeping next to her. His face was buried under his arm, and his breath, muffled to a soft snoring, came from the depths of the pillows. Involuntarily, the corners of her mouth lifted up in a loving smile when she watched him. The way she felt for him wasn’t something she had ever experienced before, with anyone. But although there was nothing for her to compare it to, she knew what a precious gift had been given to her after the crippling loss that had ended the life she had known. And she would do anything to honor this second chance at life.

“I love you,” she whispered softly.

~TBC
~bluejanuar
bluejanuar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 22

Post by bluejanuar »

Eve: Maria and Michael are lucky to have each other, aren't they? I'm not sure if she will ever be free of the haunting images of that night, but at least she'll be able to live a normal life.
Thank you for feedbacking!

Chapter Twenty-two – The calm before the storm

Maria whistled away to herself happily when she strolled down the hall after a hot, leisurely shower. After waking up, she had quietly slipped out of bed, leaving Michael to his sleep and grabbed her clothes to get ready without disturbing his rest.

Now, though, when she entered the kitchen, she was surprised to find him up and rumbling around the cupboards. He was bent over, his back turned to her so that she was presented with a very nice view of his ass. Occupied with peering into the cabinet beneath the sink in search of something, he straightened up when he heard her steps behind his back. He was still clad in the t-shirt and boxers he had worn to bed, and his hair was in complete disarray, the thick strands knotted about his head like a bird’s nest. But his smile was as beautiful as ever, she thought when the corners of his mouth lifted at the sight of her.

“Morning,” he greeted her warmly, his voice still slightly hoarse from lack of use.

“Morning,” she replied and went into his arms. He was warm and smelled of himself. “Slept well?” she asked.

“Mm-hm,” he affirmed and nuzzled her hair. “You?”

“Surprisingly, yes,” she answered, drawing back. She took his face between her palms and laid her forehead against his, quietly admitting, “It meant a lot to me what you did last night. Thank you.”

“But I didn’t do anything.”

“You did,” Maria insisted. “You were there.” She stroked his cheekbones with the tips of her fingers. Then her hands went up to tangle in his messy hair. Cheekily, she said, “Nice hairdo, by the way.”

A little embarrassed, he reached up and tried to flatten the knotted strands, but without much success. One expressive eyebrow went up when he said, “Well, sorry for not greeting you with a proper hair style, but someone blocked the bathroom for hours so . . .” He gestured down on himself, indicating the bare feet, crinkled cotton t-shirt and the rumpled hair. “This is what you get.”

She laughed and reached up for a short, sweet kiss. “And I’ll take it anytime.” With a sultry voice, she added, “You know, you could’ve just joined me in the shower . . .” and batted her eyelashes at him. Internally, she whooped when she saw how much that little remark affected him.

He swallowed hard, and the tips of his ears turned bright pink when he stammered, “Oh, uh . . . um, really?”

She chuckled, and her heart raced when she looked into his eyes. “Yeah, really.” Tilting her head back so she could look at him down her nose, she shrugged and continued airily, “But you missed your chance, too bad. Maybe tomorrow . . .” With a wink, she let go of him and looked around the kitchen. “Now I need food.” She felt absolutely ravenous.

He followed her gaze and went to open cupboard after cupboard, gesturing for her to look inside. Gaping emptiness greeted her, except for the bright yellow canister of the most existential powder in the Deluca household.

Michael grabbed the canister and made a show of opening the lid and peering inside with a put-on frown. “Well, let’s see what we have here, shall we?” With marked disappointment he showed her the brown, aromatic substance within. “Okay, you can have coffee, and coffee, and . . . oh, right, coffee.”

She took the canister from him, but although the prospect of freshly brewed coffee did a lot to further lighten her already good mood, she couldn’t ignore the griping in her stomach, indicating the very immediate need for nourishment. “No food?” she asked, beginning to look through the cupboards and fridge herself.

“Not in this kitchen,” he remarked, watching her rummage around with amusement.

“Damn.” She straightened up, chewing her bottom lip in thought. “Okay, here’s the plan, first we go to the CrashDown for breakfast, then we drive over to the store for groceries.”

“The CrashDown?” He made a face. “But I don’t want to eat with Liz and nosy Mr. Parker watching my every move,” he complained. “And chances are that at least Max will be there, too.”

“And why don’t you want to eat with them?” She inquired, hands braced on her hips. She had a pretty good idea why, but she wanted to hear it from him. “They’re our friends, aren’t they?”

He crossed his arms. “You know why.”

She stepped close to him. “Yes, Michael, I know, but you can’t hide in here forever.” She laid her hand flat on his stomach, smirking when she heard as well as felt the insistent grumble from within. “Don’t you want a nice, fatty breakfast before shopping, hm? Fried eggs . . . bacon . . .” Her grin widened when her words prompted another loud rumble. “And toast with butter, orange juice-”

“Fine!” he interrupted her exasperatedly, giving in. “But I’ll have to go shower first.”

“Hurry up, then.” She laughed in victory and turned him around by the shoulders before pushing him out of the kitchen. “I’ll have coffee while I wait.”

“Awesome,” she heard him mutter when he took himself off to the bathroom.

The CrashDown Café was buzzing with activity when they arrived and they were lucky to get a table in the front by the windows. As soon as they were seated, Michael began glancing around the room in search of familiar faces. But the only one recognizing them was Liz, skillfully worming herself a way through the customers, the silver alien antennas bobbing in synch with her steps.

She let herself sink into a chair at their table and her friendly smile lit up her pretty face when she greeted them.

“Hey, Liz,” Maria replied friendlily. Michael just nodded in response.

Liz watched him up and down, then laid her hand on his shoulder and sympathetically asked “How are you?”

Maria cringed internally at the look on his face. Even under normal circumstances, that would have been a little too much for him. In the mood he was in now, his answer would undoubtedly be rather unpleasant.

He scowled at poor Liz and harshly shrugged away from her, causing her hand to drop from his shoulder. “Stop that,” he spat. “Just ask what you wanna ask and then bring me my breakfast.”

“Michael!” Maria berated. His mood switches really are unbelievable sometimes. Especially when he’s in a situation he isn’t comfortable with. Like now; hungry in an overcrowded restaurant . . .

Liz, however, was not the least bit fazed by his nastiness. “Pleasant as ever, are you?” she teased him. “Have you talked to Kyle, yet?”

“No,” he growled. “And I would greatly appreciate it if all of you would keep your nose out of my business.”

Now Liz finally did seem to lose her patience a bit. “You don’t need to be so bitchy about it. We just want to help you.”

“And did it ever occur to you that I don’t need your help?”

“No,” she stated curtly, and the simple answer was enough to shut him up. Without paying attention to him any further, she turned to Maria and asked, “Can I call you this afternoon after my shift? We need to talk about what to get Alex for his birthday, but I suppose now is not the time.” She rolled her eyes in Michael’s direction with a secret smile.

“But I thought you had already picked something out.” Maria frowned. “His birthday is in two days.”

“Yeah, well, with all the things that’ve been going on . . .” She trailed off, shrugging a little helplessly. “But don’t worry, Isabel already has a few things on her list, it won’t be a big deal.”

Maria was still not fully convinced, but still she was grateful that the responsibility for Alex’ birthday present would be shouldered by someone else. “Aright, if you say so.”

“I do. And now I’d better go get your breakfast, or Grumpy here is going to start chewing on the napkins.” She stood up and quickly scribbled down their orders. Turning to leave, she patted an annoyed Michael’s cheek in passing, taking obvious pleasure from his pissed off growl.

Grocery shopping had gone really well, Maria thought when they pulled into the driveway of her house. Michael’s mood had improved considerably after he had devoured his much needed breakfast and Liz had kindly treated them to two large chocolate milk shakes on the house. To Maria’s intense surprise, he had even brought himself to apologize for his rude behavior, though he did it grudgingly and in a subdued voice, as if afraid to be heard admitting he was wrong in public.

After that, they had headed off to the supermarket and spent an hour pushing their cart through the aisles and fighting over what to buy. Sadly, Michael’s idea of a healthy diet consisted of nothing but lots of meat, so they were never in any danger of running out of things to argue about throughout the entire shopping trip.

With satisfaction, Maria patted the bulging curve of her backpack when she slid off of the bike. It had taken a bit of work, but she had eventually succeeded in convincing Michael to try out a somewhat more vegetable-based diet for as long as he lived with her. He had reluctantly agreed, though not without much coaxing from her side.

She smiled when she thought about what she had to promise him in exchange for the deal. She looked up at his handsome profile when she walked up to the house beside him. It felt good to walk with him like this, as if they were really living together. That thought was definitely something she could get used to, she thought with a smile.

“Michael! Maria!”

She felt Michael stop and turn around just as she looked in the direction the call had come from. From across the street she saw Kyle and Tess walk up to them in the wake of a man she didn’t recognize. When they came closer, however, the Sheriff’s star and his uniform revealed his identity.

“Hello kids,” the Sheriff said with a friendly smile when the trio had reached them, holding his hand out to her. “Hi, I’m Sheriff Valenti, Kyle’s dad.”

Maria shook his hand with growing trepidation, but returned the smile, if a little shakily. “Maria Deluca. Nice to meet you.”

The Sheriff let go of her hand and nodded at Michael in greeting. Kyle and Tess had stopped uncertainly behind him.

Maria glanced up at Michael when he stayed silent. He was standing, tense and erect, beside her. Uncertainly, she looked to and fro between them. “Um, what can I do for you, Sheriff?” From the guilty looks on both Kyle’s and Tess’ faces, she could make an educated guess as to why the Sheriff of Roswell was standing on her doorstep and the furious scowl on Michael’s face indicated that he had come to the same conclusion as her.

“I would like to have a word with Michael, please,” Valenti answered calmly, but firmly. “In private, if that’s possible.”

Jim Valenti followed Michael into the small Deluca living room, watching when the tall, young man leaned against the windowsill and waited, arms crossed in an unmistakably defensive manner. The Sherriff slowly sat down on the couch. “Michael,” he began when the boy didn’t show the slightest inclination of saying something.

“Sheriff,” Michael answered curtly, his hooded gaze resting on the other man’s face.

Jim patted the cushion beside him in invitation. “Think you could sit down with me for a minute?”

“Thanks. I’ll stand.”

The Sheriff sighed resignedly. This was already going in the wrong direction, he could feel it. “Alright. Michael, I think you know why I’m here, don’t you?”

He just shrugged, but remained silent.

The older man cleared his throat and leaned forward, his arms braced on his thighs while he looked at the teenager intently. In the businesslike tone he usually used when questioning someone, he said, “Okay, Michael, listen. I’m here to help you. From what I’ve seen and heard from Kyle and Tess-” He broke off when he saw the brief flicker of anger on the boy’s features and continued in a softer voice, “Don’t be mad at them. They were just worried about you, and they didn’t see another way to help than to come to me.” He saw the muscles tighten when Michael clenched his jaw, but remained stubbornly mute, and suddenly, Jim couldn’t take his silence anymore. “God, would you please say something!” he burst out.

Quite calmly, Michael answered, “What do you want me to say?”

“You could start off with what happened between you and your mother’s boyfriend.”

“It was nothing.”

The Sheriff just shook his head helplessly. “Michael . . .”

“I said it was nothing!” he repeated sharply. “I honestly don’t know why you’re here, Sheriff. I have nothing to tell you.”

Jim forced himself to take several deep, calming breaths before simply replying, “If it’s nothing then why are you hiding out in your girlfriend’s house?” He took in the stubborn set of the boy’s shoulders and his clenched jaw and pleaded, “I wish you would just talk to me, son! I can help you.”

When he addressed him like that, Michael flushed angrily and growled, “I’m not your son.”

“No, you’re not,” the Sheriff agreed quietly. “But that doesn’t mean that I don’t care about you.”

That softened the stony expression a little. Michael uncrossed his arms and turned to look out of the window, hands in his pockets. “Thanks, Sheriff, but I’m fine.” After a pause, he added. “Really.”

Though he didn’t have much hope to get through to him, Jim decided to give it one more try. “Do you remember the time when you were in the hospital with the broken arm?” He waited for Michael to nod before going on, “Did you know that Social Services investigated the case? They suspected then that your mother wasn’t able to adequately care for a four-year-old. I remember one of the case workers asking around the neighborhood about you and your mother. She even came to the police station and asked if we had anything on her in our files. At that time, I wasn’t Sheriff, yet, but I was assigned to deal with her and she told me a great deal of what she had found out so far, you know?” He waited for a reaction and went on after a moment, “That your mother had a history of drug and alcohol abuse from a very young age on, but that she seemed fine at the time and capable of leading an independent life. When you were born, Social Services paid closer attention to both of you and your living conditions. The caseworker said that they were aware that things weren’t ideal, but as a rule they tried to let the children stay with their parents whenever possible, so they let you stay with your mother as long as she seemed capable of caring for you.

“Now, personally, I never believed that your mom was ever capable of caring even for herself, and much less a child.” He took the quiet, sarcastic snort from Michael as a sign of agreement, and continued, “I told them about my doubts, and convinced them to take you in for questioning when you appeared with the broken arm.” He urgently spoke to the boy’s averted profile. “Michael, I really believed that a child that is being mistreated, neglected and possibly abused at home would say so when being questioned by Social Services. I thought you would tell them if you needed help.”

When there was no visible reaction in his features whatsoever, Jim shook his head in disappointment. “I was there that day when the case worker asked you about your home situation, Michael. I listened to her going on and on about how you could trust her and how she would help you and your mom. Do you remember what you said when she asked you?” He waited for an answer, but didn’t get one. “You said you were just fine, Michael. You said you were fine, even though the doctor had expressed serious doubts about your injury being caused by an unlucky fall while playing like you claimed. So, in spite of everything, they let you go back home to your mom.

“I’m telling you all this, because I want you to know that I know[/] you were lying, you hear me? You were lying when you said everything was fine just like you’re lying now!” He took in the closed off features and the compressed lips, and he wanted to just take him by the shoulders and shake an answer out of the boy. It pained him that Michael, a boy who he had known from an early age on and who had become a good friend for his son, obviously didn’t even have enough trust to confide in him. It hurt that he had obviously failed to see how much he needed help. Michael had always been a stubborn child, but the cold aloofness he was displaying now was something he had acquired over the years.

In a last, desperate attempt to get through to him, Jim burst out, “God, son, speak up! Just let me help you!”

“I can’t!” Michael exclaimed defensively, shoulders hunched. “Not now.” Finally, he looked him in the eyes when he quietly said, “But thanks for wanting to help me, Sheriff. I really appreciate it.”

Jim sighed again in resignation and stood up. “Fine. I hope you change your mind, Michael, I really do. You know where to reach me.” He turned to leave, but in the doorway, he looked back again, asking over his shoulder, “When do you turn eighteen?”

Michael seemed surprised, but answered readily enough. “Three weeks.”

Jim just nodded thoughtfully and left.

Maria, Tess and Kyle were impatiently waiting in the kitchen, each occupied with their own method of distraction; Maria had begun cleaning out the kitchen cupboards, emptying all the dishes and pots out and mechanically wiping down the shelves before putting everything back where it belonged; Tess was staring out of the kitchen window, watching the cars pass by on the street while her fingers were absently working on destroying the little mint that was innocently growing in its pot on the windowsill; Kyle, lastly, sat at the table, the sugar bowl and a mug of coffee between his hands, intent on trying to melt as many of the white cubes into the hot liquid as possible.

Maria glanced up, shuddering in disgust when he dropped what she supposed to be at least the twelfth sugar cube into his coffee and stirred. “Kyle, you can’t possibly mean to drink that.”

“What?” His surprised gaze fell on her, then on his mug. “Oh. Uh . . .”

“You can have another one.” She reached for the coffee to dispose of it and pour him a new one, but he forestalled her.

“No, that’s okay. I’ll drink it.”

Maria and Tess, who had reluctantly pulled herself away from her observation of the street, watched with disbelieving amusement when he put the mug to his lips and slugged down half of the overly sweet liquid in one big gulp.

Amazingly, he kept a perfectly blank expression, even though the sugary sweetness of the coffee would have made any other person gag. He held his cup up in triumph then, grinning goofily.

“Why on earth did you do that?” Maria laughed, disgusted. “That’s gross!”

“He does that all the time at home,” Tess remarked with an eye-roll in her boyfriend’s direction. “No idea why, though.”

He poked his tongue out at her. “Because I like it sweet, honey.”

Maria smiled at them, thankful for his attempt of distracting them, but inadvertently her gaze was drawn to the hallway leading to the living room where Michael and the Sheriff had disappeared to talk. “I wonder what’s taking them so long,” she murmured. Michael hadn’t seemed inclined to talk to the older man, so she had expected the Sheriff to reappear in the span of a couple of minutes, at best.

Just as she had uttered the words, heavy steps could be heard from the hallway.

“Seems like we’re about to find out,” Kyle said and stood up just as his father poked his head into the kitchen.

“Hey, kids,” he said earnestly. “I’m gonna head over to the station now, alright? Give me a call if you need a lift.”

Kyle looked at him unbelievingly. “What, so you’re not going to tell us what he said to you?”

The Sheriff smiled. “Nope. Ask him yourself.” Then he addressed Maria. “Can I talk to you for a second, Maria?”

“Sure.” She followed him to the front door, carrying an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. The Sheriff seemed to be a kind man, but he was also authoritative, and she felt a little timid in the presence of a man of the law.

In the open doorway, he turned around, smiling at her warmly. “So, you and your mom have settled into living here in Roswell?”

She nodded. “Yes. It was easier than we thought after the change between Albuquerque and here. And of course it helped that mom found the job and I met new people at school and all that . . .” She trailed off, embarrassed at her more than elaborate answer.

The Sheriff smiled. “It’s always good to meet new friends.” With a nod at the house, he said, “They’re a bunch of great kids, Maria, but I’m guessing you already know that. You and Michael hit it off really well, didn’t you?”

To her intense dismay, her cheeks flushed bright red. “Um . . .”

He chuckled, waving off her answer. “It’s alright, I’m just a nosy old man. What I really wanted to know is . . . I know that Michael has the support of all of his friends, and I probably don’t need to tell you that, but he needs every friend he can get right now.”

“I know that,” she muttered, strangely offended that he seemed to feel the need to remind her of that.

“I know.” A brief, soothing smile lit up his face and he reached out to squeeze her shoulder. “And I trust you to take good care of each other. It probably won’t come as a surprise to you that he wasn’t very forthcoming with information just now.”

She snorted ironically.

“Yeah, I assume you know how he can be,” he agreed. He then reached into his jacket and, after a second of fumbling around, came up with a small white card. “Listen, Maria, I’ll have to get back to work, but if he decides that he wants to talk to me after all, I’ll leave you my card, alright?” He pointed his forefinger at the numbers written on the card. “That there is my phone number at the station and here on the back is my cell phone number, you see?”

She nodded, taking the card from him carefully.

He looked at her intently. “Maria, if one of you needs help, don’t hesitate to call me, okay? Whatever it is, you can call me at any time.”

She swallowed, and for a second, she wanted to just tell him everything. But of course she couldn’t. “Thank you, Sheriff.”

He nodded. “Bye, Miss Deluca.” Then he turned and walked down the driveway to his police cruiser.

Kyle came to stand just inside the living room, leaning against the mantelpiece and watching his friend with a troubled frown. Michael was still standing at the window with his hands buried in his pockets, gazing out onto the street and showing no sign whatsoever that he was aware of Kyle’s presence.

Kyle crossed his arms and with a calm he didn’t feel and guessed, “So, you’re not pressing charges against that ass?”

A short shrug was the answer. “Don’t know yet,” Michael replied.

Kyle sighed. “I’m sorry.”

That made Michael turn around finally. He looked at Kyle, astonishment written across his features. “What the hell are you apologizing for, Kyle?”

“Well, you know . . .” Kyle paused. “For everything. For yelling at you back in Frazier Woods when I saw you with that bruise, and for telling my Dad about it, of course – though I want to add here that Tess was the one who spilled the beans first. And, I guess I’m just sorry that your life sucks so much.”

To his surprise, Michael snorted in amusement. “I don’t even know where to start answering that. Okay, first off, I was the one who hit you in Frazier Woods, so it should be me who’s apologizing, right? So, I’m sorry for that,” he said matter-of-factly. “As for telling the Sheriff . . . I understand that you just wanted to help, Kyle, but there are some things I have to sort out with my mom first before I can decide what to do about Hank.” His face took on the pained expression that Kyle so hated because it never meant anything good.

With apprehension, he probed, “So there’s more to the story than him being an abusive ass?”

Michael nodded. “Unfortunately.” He quickly relayed the story of him finding the incriminating package while cleaning up his house, and the words Hank had thrown at him after he had taken it back in his possession.

Kyle looked at him with dismay. “Shit,” he uttered.

“Yup,” Michael agreed wholeheartedly.

“When’s your mom coming back from your aunt’s?”

“No idea. I was planning to call her later today and ask.”

Kyle nodded thoughtfully. “And you can’t . . . just talk to her about it on the phone, can you?”

“I could, just . . .” Michael looked him in the eyes solemnly. “I’d rather do it face to face, you know? And it really doesn’t matter if I have to wait a few days longer.”

Kyle snorted. “I’m not so sure about that. But you’re staying here, right? You’re not going back to your house as long as he’s still there, are you?”

Michael shook his head. “Maria offered to let me stay for a couple of days.” He sighed. “At least until her mom comes back from that convention on Saturday.”

“Yeah, that could become a problem,” Kyle agreed, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

“We’ll see,” Michael played it down. “She seems pretty cool to me.”

Kyle had to chuckle at that. “Wait until she finds out you spent a couple of days shacking up with her baby girl in her own house.” At his friend’s apprehensive look, he offered, “Hey, you could always come live with us. You know that, right?”

That made Michael laugh. “No offense, Kyle, but living under one roof with the Sheriff? Not gonna happen. Thanks, though, I know you just want to help me.”

“Always, man.”

A sound from the door made them look up. Tess was hovering in the doorway, gnawing her bottom lip and looking at Michael from worried, blue eyes. “Hey,” she said quietly. “I . . . I just wanted to say that I’m sorry for getting the Sheriff on your case.”

Michael groaned in half-amused exasperation. “Not you, too!” Then he opened his arms in invitation for her and grinned “Come on,” he prompted when she hesitated.

Tess finally abandoned her spot by the door and came flying into his arms, enveloping him in a bone-crushing hug.

“Man, I think I’m getting jealous,” Kyle remarked good-naturedly when he watched the two of them.

Michael chuckled while brushing a few of Tess’ wild, blonde curls away from his mouth, then glanced at his best friend. “Kyle, about what you said before?” He winked at Maria, who stood in the doorway, watching them. “It doesn’t suck nearly as much as it used to.”

~TBC
~bluejanuar
bluejanuar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 23 - Jul 13, 2011

Post by bluejanuar »

Eve: Thank you so much for feedbacking. You're totally right there, Michael's desire to protect his mother from herself might very well blow up in his face. Soon.

Here's the next part. Hope you enjoy. :D

Chapter Twenty-three – The beginning of the end

Maria stood under the shower on Thursday morning, head bent forward, forearms braced against the tiles, letting the hot water drum onto her neck and shoulders. It was a heavenly relaxing feeling, getting her muscles loosened and massaged by the jet after the all too short night she had had.

Kyle and Tess, after having talked things out with Michael and at least somewhat regained a sense of peace between each other, had stayed at Maria’s house until late at night, joined around dinnertime by Max, Liz and Isabel to discuss Alex’ birthday present. Alex himself had been - for obvious reasons – forbidden to come by Isabel, and had thus occupied himself with sending all of them text messages all evening informing them in an increasingly irritated manner how displeased he was to be left out and threatening to just get into his car and come over at any minute. Around eight, when they had just all sat down to eat the cauliflower lasagna Maria and Max had produced – he was a surprisingly good cook if you limited his more experimental seasoning impulses - and the ringing of the phone had interrupted them yet again, Isabel, fed up with Alex at long last, had unceremoniously sent him back a very threatening message and turned off all of their cell phones.

Maria giggled at the memory of her bitching about Alex’ impatience. You could see that she wasn’t really mad at him, just annoyed that he interfered with her planning. But to be fair, Maria thought, it couldn’t be nice for Alex to know that all of his close friends were having a secret meeting without him, even if it was just for the benefit of finding the perfect birthday present.

In the end, they didn’t have much deciding to do, because Isabel had already narrowed down her list of possible gifts to one item, though that was expensive enough that they would all have to pool their funds to get it. They had arranged for Isabel and Tess to go and buy it this afternoon. Maria and Liz had been asked to work by Mr. Parker who was short a few waitresses this week because of spring break, and Kyle and Michael were planning on driving over to the garage to report back to work. Even though they had both taken the week off, they figured that since they were back earlier than expected, they may just as well earn a bit of money.

Maria tilted her head back and let the water run over her face and drench her hair, pulling her head down with the added weight. She began to hum her current favorite song.

All in all, last night had been very fun. The Deluca living room had been filled with laughter while they planned and plotted for Alex’ birthday. Even Michael had been relaxed and cheerful, joking with Max and Kyle about Isabel’s obsessive planning and teasing Tess about practically every possible and a few impossible things, visibly grateful for the opportunity to forget about the dark clouds looming over his head for a while.

He had finally brought himself to call his mother earlier that afternoon and arranged with her, in a curt and rather chilly conversation, to pick her up at the train station on Saturday at noon. From the little Maria could extract from him later, his mother had sounded pretty good, which was not so surprising after spending almost a week in the care of her older sister.

The moccasin telegraph worked well within the group; everyone was aware of what had been going down with Michael and what still lay ahead. But even though they knew about his difficult situation, they didn’t broach the subject once over the evening, respecting his wish for silence on the matter. Nevertheless, their friends had expressed their sympathy and support in a non-verbal way. More than once Maria had seen one of the girls find a way to do something nice for him, to make him feel more at ease. Isabel had relinquished her piece of coconut pie to him under the guise of having to watch what she ate, even though Maria knew that she was practically addicted to coconut pie. Liz had supported him when they had disputed which movie to watch and his choice had once again been “Braveheart”, claiming that she hadn’t seen it yet, although Maria knew that she had. And Tess had sided with him and Liz when they had started a pillow fight in the living room, battling against Maria, Max, Kyle and Isabel in a war for the remote control. The war had ended in a tie when the remote was sent flying to the floor by an over-enthusiastic shove by Isabel and broke.

Maria chuckled faintly under the hot spray when she recalled their sheepish faces in the wake of the destruction of the remote control. Isabel, looking flushed and disheveled like all the others from the pillow fight, had apologized in dismay and promised to get it fixed first thing in the morning.

Absently, Maria reached for the bottle of strawberry shampoo on the shelf beside her, but jumped when her fingers encountered warm skin instead. She shrieked, hand clutched to her racing heart, and turned around abruptly, almost slipping on the wet shower floor.

Michael caught her by the arms and steadied her, taking in her appearance with a crooked smile. “Hey.”

The fact that she hadn’t heard him enter was a testament of how absorbed she had been with her thoughts. She was completely naked, as was he, and his close proximity in the narrow space of the shower made her blush furiously in anticipation. “Hey yourself,” she returned breathlessly, looking him up and down in return, her curious gaze lingering briefly in the places she had touched, but hadn’t looked at before.

He bravely endured the examination, though the faint pink tinge on his cheeks betrayed his nervousness when he reached behind himself and closed the shower door fully. He cleared his throat. “Should I . . . May I wash your hair?”

She almost smiled at his awkwardness, but nodded instead and turned her back on him. She tilted her head back again under the warm spray and waited. She heard him open the shampoo bottle just before his big hands began to apply the soap to her hair. His strong fingers massaged her scalp, hesitantly at first, but soon he regained his confidence and washed her hair as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

Maria sighed in bliss when the pads of his fingers scraped over her scalp in a repetitive motion, drawing circles behind her ears and on her temples. “Oh, Michael, this feels wonderful,” she purred. “Where did you learn to do this?”

His voice close to her ear made her grow still. “I guess I’m just a natural,” he murmured hotly over the sound of the water.

Maria shivered, though not from cold. Even though his hands on her hair where the only places they touched, she was acutely aware of his big, naked body behind her. Impatiently, she waited for him to adjust the shower head so he could rinse the shampoo out of her hair. As soon as he was done, she turned around and stepped into his arms. Her arms came around his neck when she stood up on her toes and pressed her front to his, capturing his lips in a hot kiss.

His response was instant and very eager. While his soft, wet tongue tangled with hers, his hands slowly traced down her back to cup her ass. He made an appreciative sound deep in his throat when her nipples rubbed hard against his chest.

What am I doing?! Maria pulled back a little, not breaking the kiss but softening it, taking the intensity out a notch to give her the chance to think. She was a little appalled about the fast pace the physical part of their relationship developed, and the fact that she was actively initiating it scared her the most. She knew Michael would never pressure her into anything. Even now he was content with letting her determine the pace they were going at, kissing her with fervor, but not trying to pull her closer.

In fact, she was surprised that he had taken her up on her offer to take a shower together at all. Since last night, when she had told him the whole, horrible story of what she had experienced, she had noticed him holding back a bit whenever he touched her. Where her revealing the true extent of her trauma to him had liberated her and given her a sense of peace, it seemed that it had had the exact opposite effect on Michael. He had been anxious not to rush her into anything before, but now it seemed that he even wanted to take the pace out of their physical relationship altogether. Now and then he slipped, of course, she thought with a slight smirk against his lips. Like now. His hands still lay securely on her hip, stroking her wet skin with his thumbs, and while he wasn’t pulling her back into his body, he wasn’t letting go of her, either.

The feeling of his skin on hers was indescribable, and Maria couldn’t hold back the breathy moan that escaped her when his hands wandered over her back. Sure, they had only been together for a little over a month, but to her it felt like a lot longer. The rational part of her brain was ordering her to stop this right now, but her heart and body were telling a whole different story. And in truth, she had never been one to be overly rational if she could be emotional instead. And it was a rare opportunity to have a naked, wet Michael in the shower with her, so, without the least bit of regret, she threw all her doubts overboard. To hell with it.

She broke the kiss, smiling. “Now let me wash you.” Her voice sounded low and sultry, and she was delighted to see the flicker of desire in his eyes at her words.

He turned around and she began washing his hair with the same, slow and gentle movements that he had used on hers, reveling in the feeling of the thick, wavy mass of it between her fingers. After she had rinsed the shampoo out, she grabbed her bath sponge, applied a liberal amount of shower gel on it and started stroking it over the broad planes of his back and shoulders with a light pressure. Slowly, she worked her way downwards over his body, paying special attention to his neat, round ass cheeks before guiding the sponge lower over the back of his thighs and calves.

He stayed absolutely still during her gentle ministrations, his palms braced against the tiles while he let her wash him. The only moment his immobility broke was when she made him lift his foot and scrubbed the sole. He couldn’t help but giggle then, pulling it out of her grasp.

She straightened up, sponge in hand, and softly applied a little pressure on his hip. “Turn around.”

He complied, meeting her eyes with a heated gaze and drawing a shuddering breath. From the corner of her eye, she noticed the effect her touch had had on him, but didn’t dare to look at his prominent erection full-on, yet.

Ignoring the tiny flutter in her stomach for the moment, she continued to wash him. Arms and chest and stomach, carefully keeping her eyes – and hands – away from where the foam ran down and collected between his legs.

The lower her hands wandered, the more his breathing quickened in anticipation. He watched her with a hawk’s gaze through lowered lashes, keeping track of her every move while standing completely motionless under the spray of water.

In a playful mood, she teased him with guiding the sponge lower and lower, almost touching the triangle of hair beneath his belly button with it. Then, in a sudden spur of boldness, she dropped the sponge and finally touched him.

Michael gasped when her fingers closed around him so suddenly, reaching out to brace himself against the shower wall. He moaned softly.

His skin was taut and slick with soap, allowing her fingers to glide easily back and forth. She stroked him, slowly at first, delighted once again by his open responses to her touch. She watched his reactions, listened to the faint moans and gasps and let herself be guided by them, learning him by touch.

One of his arms came around her waist and pressed her close to him and he brought his mouth to her ear, sighing with pleasure when her strokes increased in speed and pressure. “Maria . . .”

She felt it just before it happened. The tightening in the muscles of his belly and the increasing pressure of his hand on her back, the sudden tightening of his balls under her fingers a split-second before he came hard into her hand, moaning her name.

For a few moments afterwards, he just leaned on her, letting her caress his body to calmness, just breathing and waiting for his rapidly beating heart to slow down to a normal pace.

He kissed her, deeply and thoroughly. When he met her gaze again, his eyes were dancing with humor and a wicked smile lifted the corners of his mouth before he bent down to retrieve the sponge. “Your turn,” he growled hotly into her ear.

Maria shivered when he squeezed another portion of shower gel onto the sponge and took her hand to lift it up a little. He started innocently, taking his time washing her hands and arms, then reaching around her to draw circles on her back. The foam ran down her skin, tickling her. As the hand holding the sponge went lower to run over her ass, his other hand tilted her chin up so he could kiss her again, his wet tongue stroking hers in a motion mimicking the sponge on her skin.

The kiss went on and on, making her head spin so that she almost missed the sponge wandering to her front and gently gliding across her chest. Michael drew back from her, the temptation to watch how the foam ran down her small, perky breasts too great to withstand for him. He repeated the motion, watching on in admiration as her nipples stood up hard like pebbles, a slight smirk playing on his lips. His heated gaze lifted to her face. “You’re so sexy.”

“So are you,” her voice was pitched low.

He abandoned the sponge for the moment, bending down to kiss his way across her chest. His lips closed around one nipple, sucking, softly at first, then harder when she moaned in pleasure. He nibbled his way to the other nipple and gave it the same treatment, using his teeth this time to nip on the sensitive, pink areola.

“Michael . . .” she groaned, clinging helplessly to his shoulders and incapable of keeping quiet any longer. She had never felt something as amazing as this.

He chuckled and straightened up to settle his lips on hers in a passionate kiss, his left hand settling on her breast so his thumb could continue teasing her taut nipples while his tongue explored her mouth. Then his right hand reached down to grasp her left leg behind the knee, lifting it up to rest high on his hip. His other arm locked securely around her waist, supporting her. The sponge in his right hand slowly traced down the curve of her ass and outer thigh, lingering in a brief tickle in the hollow of her bent knee before going back up and slowly, so slowly gliding down between her legs. All the while he was watching her expression for any sign of unease or discomfort, prepared to stop at the slightest signal.

She moaned at his touch and leaned into his body when he started rubbing the sponge back and forth over her center with added pressure. “Don’t stop . . .”

He chuckled into her ear. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep going as long as you want.” His thumb accidentally brushed hard against her clit, making her gasp. “You like that?” he murmured and did it again when she nodded. Her hips bucked against his hand, and she started to rock in countermotion to intensify the amazing sensations he aroused in her. Everything started to tingle and the muscles in her whole body tightened. She felt herself getting closer and reached down to lay her hand over his, increasing the pressure. That was the last thing she needed. The familiar rush overcame her like a springtide as she went over the edge, gasping and shaking in Michael’s arms. She clung to him while she rode out the storm, his strong arms her only rock to hold on to.

Satisfied, she sank against him, his warm chuckle the only sound over the rushing in her ears.

After they had climbed, giggling and rubber-limbed, out of the shower and dried each other off, Michael had trudged back to the bedroom in search of clothes. Maria was standing in front of the bathroom mirror, brushing her wet hair. The towel was slung around her naked body and she smiled dreamily at her reflection while she untangled the dripping strands, replaying in her mind the shower episode with Michael. Just as she reached the good part, Michael reappeared behind her.

Apparently, his quest for clothing hadn’t been all too successful, or maybe he had gotten sidetracked, because the only thing he was wearing were his boxers, and she noticed the water dripping from the hair of his mirror image and drawing small, enticing rivulets down his muscular chest. Her heart skipped a beat when their eyes met in the mirror and his lips curved in a slight smirk before he bent down and sank his teeth into the sensitive flesh of her neck in a small, playful bite. Maria gasped at the slight sting and shivered in pleasure, letting the hair brush sink while reaching up with her other hand to curl around his neck, holding him in place against her. He moaned softly when she pressed her bottom firmly against his front where she could feel his renewed erection.

While her body was otherwise occupied, her fuzzy mind grasped a brief moment of coherency to marvel at the wonderful sensations his touch provoked. God, does it always feel this good when you’re in love? she wondered. How do people ever get anything done besides making out?

After a while, Michael released her and pressed a soft kiss against the tiny bite mark before resting his face in the crook of her neck, breathing in the scent of her damp skin. “Maria?” His voice was soft and tender and his hands lay securely on her hips.

“Mm?” she inquired, her tone equally soft while her fingers played with the hair on the base of his neck.

“When I . . . touch you, do you sometimes . . .” He broke off, sighing faintly in frustration.

“Do I what?”

“Do you sometimes think . . . I mean, does it remind you of . . . that night in Albuquerque?” He lifted his gaze, meeting hers straight on in the mirror, his brown eyes dark and troubled.

So that’s what is bothering him. “Is that what was on your mind all day yesterday?” She had suspected that his reluctance to touch her was somehow tied to the story she had told him. Now she had that suspicion confirmed.

He lifted one shoulder in a reluctant shrug. “Well, yeah, how could it not? I mean, what you had to go through, that was something that could have destroyed you. It almost did. And the nightmares you have are a clear indicator that even now you’re not over it, yet. And then I come along and I . . . I need to be close to you, I can’t help it,” he admitted, his voice low. “But since I know what happened, I . . . When I touch you now, I always wonder if that makes you think of what he did to you. All the time that thought is in the back of my mind and I . . . That’s just something I don’t want for you. I don’t want to be a constant reminder of that night, Maria.”

She felt her heart swell at his open admission and his obvious concern for her, and a half-amused, half-exasperated smile tugged at her mouth when she took in his fierce expression. “Michael . . .”

“I’m serious.” His scowl deepened in irritation at her reaction.

“I know.” She turned so she could speak to him face to face, her palm on his cheek. “Listen to me for a second, okay? That night that Sean died and I almost got raped-” He inhaled sharply at the word, and she laid her thumb over his lips to keep him quiet so she could say what she needed to say in order to ease his mind. “That was without a doubt the most terrifying thing that has ever happened to me, and you’re right, it almost destroyed me. I worked hard to get to the point where I am now; I had months and months of therapy to work through the trauma of that night. I still have the nightmares and I don’t know if I’ll ever be completely free of those memories, but . . . In truth, Michael, I don’t know if I even want that.” She stared wide-eyed into his face. His eyes were deep and dark like the bottom of a river and she had to swallow against the thickness in her throat to keep the threatening tears at bay. “That night, a big part of me died along with Sean, and there was a time when my only wish was to follow him that one last step, so I could be with him again. I just missed him so much . . . But then I realized that he would have hated for me to give up my life, and I couldn’t do that to my mother, either. So that wish passed. It took me a long time to see that even in the darkest of times there is light, too.” Her voice had softened to a whisper. “That night, a lot of things were taken from me, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to make my peace with that, but there was something given to me, too.

“I have learned an appreciation for the things that have been given to me in life; things that I took for granted before, and I’m thankful for that. I have been given a second chance, a whole new life here in Roswell. And a bunch of lovely and crazy new friends.” She smiled through the tears, her fingertips tracing his cheek. “And I got you, Michael, and I can never regret that.” She kissed him, feeling the wetness on her cheeks.

“So, when you and I touch, I don’t think about the fear, and the pain, and the horror of that night.” She reached up with her other hand, taking his face between her palms. Their faces were only inches apart. “When you touch me,” she whispered to him. “I’m just happy. And I’m thankful that something so beautiful has been given to me.”

His arms came around her then, his soft lips grazing her cheeks to kiss the tears away, and all she felt was happiness.

Maria lay in bed on Saturday morning. It was very early, not even three a. m. yet, and her and Michael had only crawled into bed an hour ago after Alex’ birthday party. In spite of the late hour, though, she didn’t feel tired. Too many thoughts were whirling around in her head, fighting for her attention. The last two days had passed quickly, with her working at the CrashDown and Michael at the garage; they hadn’t seen much of each other besides at night.

The party had been a lot of fun, and Alex had nearly jumped through the roof when they presented him with the brand new guitar Isabel and Tess had bought for him. The meal he had cooked could only be described as disastrous, though. The dressing of the salad was so sour that it nearly burned away their taste buds, which was alright, because that was the only way they could stomach the awful thing he presented as the main course. He called it coq au vin, but it came rather close to coq au coal, with the chicken being charred black on top and a nice, raw pink in the middle. The only thing truly delicious was the cherry pie they ate for desert, and they congratulated him on that with much enthusiasm until he admitted that he had made his mother make it for him.

The rest of the night had passed with music and laughter and, on the girls’ part, dancing in the Whitmans’ living room. They had succeeded in talking Kyle into joining them for a short time while Alex sat in an armchair playing his new guitar, but Max and Michael had unwaveringly refused to let the girls pull them onto the makeshift dance floor, much rather occupying themselves with watching from the sidelines and making fun of Kyle’s goofy dance moves.

Now Maria felt Michael restlessly toss and turn beside her. He couldn’t find rest, either, and who could blame him? Only a few more hours remained before he was supposed to pick up his mother. Maria knew that he dreaded the conversation he would have to have with her, even more so because his logical mind couldn’t make up any scenario that would make everything turn out alright. Maria supposed that, deep in his heart, he knew that the situation wasn’t salvageable, and that’s what was depriving him of his sleep.

He turned to the side with a frustrated sigh, facing away from her, punching the pillow into a more comfortable shape.

Maria laid her palm on his shoulder. “Can’t sleep?” Even though there was no one who could be disturbed by the noise, her voice was pitched to a low whisper.

“It’s too hot!” He threw back the covers suddenly and jumped out of bed. He stomped over to the window with heavy steps and opened it wide before pulling his t-shirt off and letting it drop to the floor by his feet. He braced his forearms against the window frame and just stood there, looking out into the night, motionless in the breeze. The moonlight gave his skin a pale white glow, like a statue carved from marble, with the fading shadow of the bruise on his back the only thing marring his otherwise perfect skin.

With a sigh Maria swung her legs out of bed and walked over to his motionless form. She leaned her back against the wall beside him, watching his profile. “Are you nervous about meeting your mom?” she asked in a soft voice.

“No. I don’t know.” He lifted his shoulders in an unwilling shrug. “I’m . . . worried.” He looked at her, and in the dimness his eyes were almost black. “What if she doesn’t believe me?”

“Why wouldn’t she believe you, Michael? You’re her son. And besides, you have the bruise to prove that what you’re saying is true.”

He snorted. “I’d rather not show her that. And if she’s in on this drug thing? I’m gonna have to make her choose between him and me.”

Maria reached out to slowly caress his arm in an attempt to give him comfort. His skin was cold from the air drifting in from the window, but he didn’t seem to notice.

“I’m scared shitless, Maria,” he admitted in a hollow voice.

“It’s going to be alright,” she whispered soothingly, although she didn’t feel nearly as confident on the matter as she wanted him to believe.

“But . . . what if she chooses him?”

She wanted to say something to reassure him, to take away his fears, but the uneasy feeling in her stomach told her that there was a very great possibility that Sandra Guerin would not listen to what her son had to tell her. And that would mean that he’d have no choice but to let his mother go to jail in order to protect her from Hank.

Maria gripped his upper arm. “I can’t promise you that everything will be alright. But whatever happens, Michael, you are not alone! You have me, and the others, and we will not let you go through this alone. We’ll find a way.”

His hand reached up to squeeze hers briefly in gratitude. “Thanks.”

She stepped behind him, leaning in and pressing a soft kiss to the bruised shoulder blade. “Are you coming back to bed?”

He shook his head. “Not yet, but you go on ahead and try to catch some sleep. I’ll be right there.”

Reluctantly, she left him alone and crawled back under the covers. The picture of his lonely figure at the window was the last thing on her mind before she drifted off to sleep.

Maria was dusting off the large lamp in the living room on early Saturday afternoon. After vacuuming every room in the house, doing the wash and watering every indoor plant she could find, this was the next thing on her list of things to do to kill time. The house hadn’t been all that filthy to begin with, but since Michael had left on his bike two hours ago to pick up his mother, she had grown increasingly restless.

He had not come back to bed that night. When Maria had stumbled into the living room in the morning in search of him he had sat, hollow-eyed and pale, on the couch, staring unseeingly at the screen that showed some sort of cartoon. He had been quiet and withdrawn all through the morning, absorbed with the worry about the talk with his mom. He hadn’t eaten anything, either, barely sipping down his cup of coffee before he set off to the train station.

Maria shook out the duster through the open window, taking the opportunity to once again scan the street for any sign of his motorcycle. He had said he’d call her, but his departure had been hours ago and with every passing minute her worry increased. If the talk had gone badly, he wouldn’t feel like speaking to anyone, but she hoped to God that he would come back to her instead of going off to deal with his feelings alone.

The ringing of the phone made her drop the duster to the floor. She left it there in her hurry to get to her cell and picking it up. “Hello?”

“Hey, Honey, how are you doing?” her mother’s cheerful voice greeted her from the other end.

“Mom, hi,” Maria said with barely concealed disappointment. “I’m fine. Actually, I’m busy cleaning right now.”

Amy laughed. “Good kid. How was camping?”

“Oh, well, you know . . . it was . . . interesting.”

“I bet. I would’ve never thought you would survive a week in the woods,” her mother said, the words bubbling out of her like water out of a fountain. “When I was younger, I used to go camping all the time with my friends, and I loved it. The freedom, the nature all around . . . I even met your dad on a camping trip.”

Despite herself, Maria blurted, “Yeah, and look how well that turned out.”

“Don’t take that tone with me, young lady!” Amy warned.

Maria sighed in remorse. “Sorry, mom, I’m just . . . not in the best of moods right now.”

“Trouble with Michael?”

“What? Um, what makes you say that?” Damn, how does she always do that? It’s like she has radar or something.

Amy snorted wryly. “Come on, Maria. Over the last month, whenever you were in a bad mood it usually had something to do with Michael. Whether it was something he did or something he didn’t do or something that had happened to him and affected you. I know how it is to be in love, Maria. Your every thought and every conversation revolves around him and when something isn’t right between you it feels like all of your life has been sucked out of you. Am I right?”

“Well, kinda,” she admitted.

“So, what did he do? Tell mama.”

“No, it’s fine, Mama,” Maria grinned briefly at the address. “He didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, positive. Hey, how was the convention? Did you have fun?” Years and years of experience told her that distraction was always a good tactic with her mom.

“Oh, Maria, it was just fabulous!” Amy gushed. “You can’t imagine how cool this week has been. I learned so much from Juliet and we got a few new customers and she let me close the deals and if I don’t stop talking now I’m never gonna get finished with packing.”

“Alright.” Maria smiled into the phone. “You can tell me everything when you get back.”

“And you, too. Oh, Maria, I’ve missed you so much!”

“I missed you, too, Mom. I’m glad that you’re coming home today.” She fought the sudden, embarrassing urge to break out in tears and bawl like a baby. The last week had been eventful, and difficult on so many levels, and she yearned to have her mother back so she could pretend to be child again, even if it was only for a little while.

“See you later, Sweetie.”

“Bye, Mom.” She closed the phone, sighing deeply. She knew she couldn’t tell her mother what was going on without having Michael’s permission, even if she wanted to. But it would still be nice to have the responsibility taken from her shoulders.

A soft knock on the front door made her look up, frowning. Who can that be? She hadn’t heard Michael’s bike approaching, so it seemed unlikely that it was him on the other side. Yet . . . She hurried over to the door and pulled it open.

It was him. He was standing on the threshold with an expression she had never seen on him before. His jaw was clenched and his lips compressed into a thin line, but what shocked her most was the look of utter desolation in his eyes. When her gaze met his, his eyes filled with sudden tears and his bottom lip began to quiver. He was close to going to pieces in front of her.

“Dear God,” she whispered when the first tear rolled down his cheek.

~TBC
~bluejanuar
bluejanuar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 24 - Aug 03, 2011

Post by bluejanuar »

Hey Guys, so sorry for leaving you so long with that last part! I'll try to do better next time. Enjoy!

Moomin: Yes, life really isn't easy right now for him. :cry: Lets hope he'll find a way to detach himself from his mother and everything she's involved in.
Thank you!

Eve: No, she did come home, alright. :roll: As for your second guess: Why don't you read and see? :wink:
Thank you! First love, eh?

Chapter Twenty-four – Valley of tears

He stood on the platform, hands in his pockets, bopping up and down on the balls of his feet, impatiently waiting for the train to arrive. It was already fifteen minutes late, and he had stood here in the same spot for those long fifteen minutes, mulling over what he was going to say to her and growing more restless with every passing second. A couple of feet away, a man was holding on tightly to the small, chubby hand of a little boy. The child could be no older than seven years, but from the thick, dark brown mop of hair and the startling light grey eyes he shared with the tall man by his side it was unmistakable that they were father and son. The similarities between them were further enhanced by the way the both of them were peering in the direction the train was supposed to come from, wearing identical looks of excited impatience.

“How much longer?” the boy whispered to his father, his voice just loud enough to carry over the numerous background noises of the busy train station to Michael, standing a few steps away.

“Not long, buddy” the tall, dark haired man answered in a reassuring tone and squeezed his son’s hand lightly.

Just then the streamlined head of the train appeared in the distance, its shiny red paint glinting in the light. The large speakers over their heads crackled before a distorted female voice announced the arrival of the train. The announcer was cut off by the ear-splitting screeching of the brakes when the electric locomotive came into the station, the horrible sound causing the man beside Michael to cover his son’s ears with his palms.

Michael glanced at the little boy with a tinge of envy. He would have loved to cover his ears, too, but he felt stupid to do so in front of the other people on the platform, so he kept his hands in his pockets, watching the windows of the incoming cars for a glimpse of his mother.

The train finally came to a stop, and the doors opened, spilling people out onto the platform. Michael scanned the crowd, turning his head back and forth in an effort to locate her as soon as she stepped out onto the concrete. He felt uneasy. Logically, he knew that they had agreed for him to pick her up and she didn’t have any reason not to show, but the traitorous little voice in the back of his mind just wouldn’t stop wondering if maybe she’d ditch him after all.

“Michael! Michael, over here!”

The bright, laughing voice made him spin around, his heart lodged in his throat. A small, pretty woman hastened towards him with a broad smile on her face, trailing a red suitcase behind herself, its tiny wheels jumping merrily over the ground. He frowned at her in confusion.

“MOMMY! MOMMY!” The little, dark haired boy pushed past Michael, shooting like a cannonball into the arms of the woman who picked him up and spun him around in a circle, both of them whooping with joy.

“Oh, Michael, my sweet baby, I missed you so much!” she cried and hugged her child tightly to her bosom.

He drew back a little, his snub nose scrunched up in indignation. “Mommy, I’m not a baby!”

She laughed. “If you say so. Have you taken good care of Daddy while I was away?” She turned her face up to meet the lips of her husband in a short kiss.

“He did,” he confirmed with a wink, ruffling his son’s hair. “Always made sure I ate all my veggies.” He kissed her again, longer this time.

The little boy watched his parents with a look of barely concealed disgust, clinging to the neck of his mother like a monkey. “Daddy, stop! Kissing is so ewwww!”

The man broke the kiss, chuckling. “You think so, Bud?” He bent to pick up the suitcase and laid his free arm around the shoulders of his wife. “I seem to recall you kissing your Mommy just a minute ago. What was that about, then, huh?”

The child looked taken aback at the reminder, but then his face lit up when he came up with a response. “But she’s my
Mommy, Dad! You’re supposed to kiss mommies so that they know that you missed ’em. Mrs. Miller said so at school. But Mommy is not your mommy!” He grinned in triumph.

His father chortled and began to slowly walk them to the exits. “You’re right about that, Mike, and I’m very glad she isn’t.”

The little family passed Michael on their way out, and the woman gave him a friendly smile in passing. He realized with a start that he had been staring at them for the past few minutes, barely paying attention to anything else around him, and felt his cheeks blaze with embarrassment upon being caught gaping at them like a lunatic.

“Stop it, you two,” he heard the woman’s voice fading away at his back as they went off. “Mickey, kissing is not ‘ew’! Once you find a girl that you really love you will want to kiss her.”

“No, I won’t!” came the prompt reply, in a voice full of revulsion.

She laughed. “Yes, you will. Believe me.”

“But I love
you, Mommy! I don’t need some girl.”

“I love you too, Baby,” she replied in a loving voice.

Michael gritted his teeth, firmly keeping his back on the ridiculously happy family about to leave the platform. He wasn’t jealous. He wasn’t. True, his own mother had never told him that she loved him, and he didn’t even know his father’s name, but he could live without those things. He really could. Now, if he could only convince himself to believe that, he’d be just fine.

“Michael.”

He looked up, internally kicking himself for getting lost in his thoughts again. His mother was standing a few feet away from him, clad in jeans and a shirt, her bag slung across her shoulder. She looked . . . good, he decided. Healthy. The deep bags under her eyes weren’t as prominent as before, and her hair was pulled back in a tidy ponytail, so different from the straggly brown strands that usually hung about her face. A week under the influence of her sister had done his mother wonders, Michael noticed, making a mental note to call Esther later and thank her. His mom looked completely changed.

What hadn’t changed, though, was the look of disapproval with which she eyed him now, the corners of her mouth turned down. “What, have you lost your voice?” she asked impatiently.

“No,” he answered, clenching his jaw.
I missed you, he thought. “You look good,” he said.

That softened her expression to what could almost be called a smile. “Thanks, Michael.” She looked around the now deserted platform. “Can we go home now or what? This bag is getting kind of heavy.”

“Oh, right. Sorry. Give me that.” He hurried to take the bag from her, suppressing the urge to roll his eyes at his own nervousness. This was his mother he was talking to, for God’s sake! Though judging from the way she was walking next to him, practically ignoring him on their way to the parking lot, she very well could have been a stranger. No ‘Nice to see you.’ No ‘How have you been?’ No nothing. Big surprise.

When they reached the place he had left his bike at, his mother turned to him, a look of horror in her eyes. “What, you expect me to ride home on this?! Why in the name of God didn’t you borrow the car from Hank?”

He stared at her blankly. There were just so many possible responses to that statement that he was incapable of picking one for a second. He groped in his empty mind, trying to choose between reminding her that she hadn’t complained when he had driven her to the station on his bike a week ago, and asking her if she seriously intended to pretend that all was well with that jackass boyfriend of hers. In the end, he decided on a variation of the latter.

“I’m not exactly on the best of terms with Hank right now,” he growled. “Didn’t know you were, either.”

She groaned. “Come on, Michael, get over yourself. That was just a little disagreement between Hank and me. Nothing to poop your pants about.”

He just gave her an ‘Are you kidding me?’ look, clearly remembering her distraught packing from a week before and handed her the white helmet he had borrowed from Maria. “Yeah, I wanted to talk to you about that ‘disagreement’. But not here.”

She took the helmet and heaved an exasperated sigh as if it was a chore even listening to him. “Fine. Let’s go home then. We can talk there.”

He mounted his bike and waited for her to get on behind him. He had no intention of driving them home, though. That house was the last place he wanted to be right now, and that was only partly due to the fact that Hank was probably hanging out around there somewhere. The other thing was that at home it would be too easy for her to run away from the conversation they needed to have. She’d just go into her room and lock the door, effectively shutting him out. She’d done it before when things got tough between them, and he couldn’t let that happen today.

He felt her swing her leg across the seat and settle on the bike behind him. After a second, her hand reluctantly settled on his hip in search of something to hold on to. He bit down hard on the inside of his cheek and kicked the bike into gear with much more force than necessary, sending bits of dirt flying when he pulled out onto the street. The scene he had witnessed earlier played before his mind’s eye, brutally visualizing the loving embraces between the little boy and his mother. As hard as he tried, he couldn’t even remember the last time his own mother had willingly touched him. It must have been a long time, if she had ever done it at all.

On his way to their destination, his mind played over the different approaches he had thought out over the past few days, nervously discarding one after the other. But as much as he dreaded speaking with her about Hank and everything else that was going on between them, he was glad that the waiting and worrying would finally be over, one way or the other.

He pulled into the small layby and took a deep, calming breath before he turned the key. He felt his mother slide off the bike and followed her, taking off his helmet in one swift move.

Sandra had already gotten rid of hers and was now in the process of eying her surroundings with displeasure. “What on earth are we doing here? Why didn’t you drive us home?”

Instead of answering, Michael let his gaze wander around Roswell’s only city park. The trees that lined the winding dirt paths looked a little scrawny and underdeveloped and the grass was of a dry yellow color rather than juicy green, but at least there was a children’s playground not far away from where they stood, with a set of swings and a red seesaw.

The playground lay deserted at the moment. All the children were probably at home eating lunch right now. The only people he could make out were some joggers running their laps at the far side of the park, too far away to disturb their conversation.

“Do you remember the one time you went to that playground with me?” He asked wistfully, eyes tracing over the rusty chains that held the swings. “I was five or six or so, and you helped me onto the swings and pushed me.” He turned to her. “Do you remember?” he repeated.

“I remember that I had to buy you a new pair of jeans because you ruined yours with grass stains that day,” she said sourly.

“Yeah.” He gave a short, unhappy laugh. Then, rather abruptly, the words tumbled out of his mouth, almost without his own doing. “What have you gotten yourself into, Mom?”

She frowned at him uncomprehendingly. “What are you talking about?”

Quite suddenly, he was at the end of his rope. All the frustration of the past weeks, all the pent-up worry and anger broke free, surprising him the most. “You know damn well what I’m talking about!” he shouted.

“Don’t you dare talk to me like that!” she responded in kind. “You will use a more respectful tone or I’ll forget myself!”

He snorted, his voice full of sarcasm when he said, “I think you already did.”

“What?” she asked, confusion clearly written on her face. “What do you mean?”

“The drugs. I found them when I cleaned up the mess you and Hank made. So what? Are you doing drugs now? Or are you just helping Hank with his little dirty deals? Is that how you’ve paid the bills for the past months?”

“Careful, Michael,” she warned in a low voice. “You’re crossing the line.”

He pointed a finger at her, unfazed by her words. “No,
you crossed the line the day you brought that ass into our home!” he yelled. Despite his attempts to calm himself, his agitation grew with every passing minute and his inability to keep his emotions under tight reign frustrated him even more.

His rising voice triggered her own fury, and she stepped close to him, glowering up at his face when she angrily ground out, “It’s my decision who I bring into my house and what I do with my life! You have nothing to do with it!”

“Are you even listening to yourself?!” His voice cracked, but right at this moment, he couldn’t care less. “I’m your son! I live there, too, and what you do affects me! Especially if you decide to play house with an abusive criminal!”

“Abusive criminal?” she echoed, disbelieving. “You sound like an old woman. Just because you don’t approve of my choice in men and you feel threatened by my feelings for Hank-”

“What the . . .” He shook his head from side to side, stunned by her denial of what he was trying to tell her. “I can’t believe it! I feel threatened? That would imply that I felt like I had something to lose, which I don’t. You never even cared about me!”

“Oh, stop it!” She threw her hands up in exasperation. “I did the best I could for you.”

“The best you could?” he repeated, his tone biting. “Well, if that was the best, I sure as hell don’t wanna see the worst.” With considerable effort, he made himself take several deep breaths before he went on, calmer, “And don’t think I didn’t notice you avoided answering my question. Are you dealing with drugs now?”

She glowered at him defensively. “How else do you suppose I pay the bills, huh?”

“What about the cashier job? Didn’t that pay enough?”

“The little rat of a manager fired me,” she admitted after a moment. At his unbelieving look, she went on, “I was late for my shift once, Michael! And he just kicked me out! Actually, I was late because I had to visit
you at the hospital.”

Now she wanted to put the blame on him? That hurt. More than he wanted to let on. Coldly, he stated, “So now it’s my fault.”

“You’re no innocent,” she agreed with a shrug. “Why do you think I needed more money? To feed you!”

“What?!” he yelled, shaking his head in disbelief. “I’ve paid for my own food for two years!” Did she think that he was doing the job at the garage just for fun?

“Two years!” she mocked. “And the sixteen years before that? Do you think a cashier job pays for food and clothes and toys and everything else I had to buy for you? It sure as fuck doesn’t, Michael! And if keeping our heads above water meant being extra nice to some man in the hopes of getting a little money out of him, then I did it! For us! For you! And Hank, he’s a good man. He doesn’t make me do that for money. I offered to help him to sell the stuff, because I wanted to do something nice for him. Because I love him!”

What? No, no, no! His head spun, his thoughts only revolving around the one thing she had hinted at just now. “You whored yourself out for money?” he asked weakly.

“For God’s sake, Michael, you’re not five years old anymore! You know how life works.”

“But . . . but why didn’t . . . why didn’t you ask m-my father for help? Maybe he could’ve given you a little money.”

“No, he couldn’t,” she said decisively, the look she gave him not without compassion.

“Why not?” he asked.

“Because he’s a selfish asshole who doesn’t care about anything but himself.”

“Who is he?” he demanded. “What’s his name?” He felt like they had had the exact same conversation more than a hundred times before, but he had never gotten an answer to that question.

She shook her head once, resolutely. “Doesn’t matter.”

He snorted angrily. “You always say that. You know what? I bet he doesn’t even know about me. I bet he was just some random guy you spread your legs for for money and-”

The sound of her palm connecting with his cheek resounded loudly throughout the empty park, and he staggered back a few steps in shock, holding his cheek to quell the stinging pain.

His mother’s eyes were blazing with fury. “Shut the fuck up,” she hissed. “You won’t talk to me like that. And I will not let you put all the blame on me, Michael. You want to know the truth about your father? He was the first man I ever loved. He was everything to me. We were together for two years, having fun, partying, and they were the happiest two years of my life.” She huffed, calming down gradually. “But I knew he didn’t feel the same about me. I was just a convenience for him ‘on his way to greater things’, as he put it. When I felt that he was ready to ditch me and move on, I got pregnant to make him stay.”

“No, you didn’t.” His voice came out in a toneless whisper, almost too low to carry over to where she stood. But she heard him.

She snickered coldly, too lost in her story to pay any heed to the pain she inflicted on him with every sentence. “I did, Michael. I did, and I told him that I was having his baby. He knew about you, but he still left. Said he didn’t want to be tied down with a family in a tourist trap in the middle of the desert. And who could blame him, right?” She snorted. Evidently, now that she had started to talk, she couldn’t bring herself to stop. The words that had been bottled up inside of her for so long finally broke free and tumbled out of her like water bubbling out of a spring. “And here I was, dumped in Roswell, New Mexico. With a two thousand dollar debt and a baby I didn’t want the only things left of the man I loved. I thought about getting an abortion, but Esther talked me out of it. And after all, you were a part of me, too. How could I even consider killing you, right? And in the beginning, it was okay. It wasn’t easy, but it was okay. But as you got older, there were just so many things about you that reminded me of him, and I hated that. I hated you.” She looked at him full-on, brown, hard eyes boring into him, not seeing her only son, but the man she resented so much for deserting her. “I know it’s not fair, but it’s the way it is. You look like him, you talk like him, you’re stubborn like him. It’s scary. Sometimes I wonder if there’s anything at all of me inside of you, or if it’s completely him.”

“Mom, please stop . . .” he begged in a feeble whisper. “I don’t wanna hear any of this . . .” He didn’t think he could go on listening to her words. If she went on, he feared he would just break down right here and cry like a little child.

But just as he couldn’t stop himself from listening to her words, she couldn’t stop continuing her self-imposed confession. “Michael, I have carried that hatred inside of me for such a long time, you know that. You lived it. But now I’ve finally found someone that makes me believe in the good things again.”

He shook his head in a desperate attempt to negate the things she told him. “This is insane . . .”

“No, Michael, please listen to me, okay?” She stepped forward and clutched the front of his shirt, staring up into his face with wide, pleading eyes. “I love him! And he loves me, I know it. With him, I can finally be happy again. I can be whole!”

“But . . .” He swallowed hard, pushing back the hurt he felt at the desertion of his father and the painful realization that she didn’t think he was enough to make her happy, to make her whole. He gripped her wrists to make her pay attention. “No, Mom, listen! He’s dangerous! He’ll hurt you.”

“No, he won’t,” she denied automatically. “He could never harm a fly. He’s a good person and the drug thing is just to keep us afloat until I can find a better job.”

“No, you’re not listening to me!” He gave her a little shake, trying to get through to her. “He’s dangerous, Mom! He hit me with a baseball bat!”

“What? No, he didn’t.” She looked at him like he had lost his mind.

“He did, I’m telling the truth.”

“No, you are not,” she retorted angrily, pulling free of his grip. “You just want me to break up with him!”

He resisted the urge to take her by the shoulders and shake her in earnest, but just barely. It was like talking to a brick wall. “You think I’m lying about something like this?”

“Yes. Yes, you’re lying.” She nodded, trying to convince herself. “Or-or at least you did something to provoke him. You’ve done it before, I’ve seen it.” She stabbed an accusatory finger at him.

“No!” he yelled, his voice rising again in frustration. “No, Mom! I found his stash of drugs and didn’t want to give them back, so he took the bat and swung at my head. He could’ve killed me! He wanted to.”

“See?” she shrieked, bristling. “I knew you did something to make him punish you. Why couldn’t you keep your nose out of our business for once?”

“What?” Blankly, he just stood there, incapable of forming a coherent response. Then he made sense of what she’d said and welcomed the rising fury that spread its red hot blanket over the deep hurt threatening to pull him under. “Who are you?! What happened to you? You’re so damn dependent on him that you don’t see what’s right in front of your nose!”

“What I see, Michael,” she said, quite calmly now in the face of his rage, “is you standing between me and the man that makes me happy because you’re jealous of what I have with him.”

“I’m telling you that he went for me with a baseball bat and you think this is just some teenage jealousy thing?! You can’t really believe that.”

“Yes, I do, Michael. But I understand where you’re coming from. I do, really,” she assured him. “You’re scared to lose me to him. But you said it yourself, I’ve never been much of a mother and in truth, you were always the more responsible one of us. So maybe it’s only for the best if you are free of me, right?”

“No,” he simply said. He didn’t want to be free of her. He had never wanted that. How could she even think he wanted that?

“Don’t be so difficult,” she said impatiently. “I understand that things between you and Hank are much too strained right now for you to keep on living in the same house, right? So I think we’ll have to find a solution for that.”

“Yes.” He breathed a tentative sigh of relief. Maybe now she would get rid of Hank and everything would be okay again. Or if not okay, then at least as alright as they had been before. “Thank you, Mom.”

“I think it would be best for you to move out.”

“What?!” He reeled back, feeling as if she’d slapped him a second time.

She watched him in a detached way, as if she hadn’t begged for his understanding just a minute ago. Now, her gaze was cold. She had already made the decision. “You heard me. I just can’t tolerate you keeping on aggravating him on a daily basis, trying to prove to me that he’s a bad guy. I won’t have it.”

“But . . .” He groped in his mind for anything to make her change her mind, but came up with nothing save plain, naked begging. “No . . . Mom, please, no! Where am I supposed to go?” He raked his hands through his hair.

“You’re old enough, Michael. Get your own place. Or if you can’t handle living alone, move in with your little girlfriend.”

“She’s still living with her mother, I can’t move there,” he murmured distractedly, his voice barely above a whisper. He felt like someone had punched him in the stomach. Hard. He had trouble breathing.

“Well, then find something else.” She watched him dispassionately.

At this moment, her eyes reminded him of rocks. Cold and hard. With no trace of the mother he had once known.

“I can’t help you anymore,” she said. “I need to live my life free of the past. And I can’t do that with you as a constant reminder of what I can’t have. Do you understand?”

“No,” he answered flatly, gathering all the anger around him in a protective cloak to keep from breaking down. “You’re kicking me out for a guy that I know will ruin your life. Sorry, Mom, I can’t understand that.”

“Michael, please . . .” she sighed, looking at him like he was just being difficult about surrendering the remote control. “Don’t be that way . . . You have to understand-”

“I don’t have to do anything for you anymore,” he interrupted her harshly, feeling himself emotionally detaching from the situation. It almost didn’t hurt anymore. Faintly interested, he wondered how long that could possibly last. “Thanks, Mom, you really know how to make someone feel like shit.”

He turned on his heel and began walking across the street and past a row of shops, away from her, speeding up his steps when he heard her calling out to him. Fleeing. She was asking him to stay and talk to her, but he couldn’t. He didn’t want to. He couldn’t bring himself to want to talk to her anymore. Never again. He felt sick. Really, physically sick to his stomach. Apparently, the detaching hadn’t worked out quite as well as he had thought.

That realization was followed quickly by the overpowering need to throw up and he just barely made it to a small alley formed by the cleft between two houses before he fell to his knees and began to retch.

He heaved again and again, as if his body wanted to rid himself of all the horrible things his mother had thrown at him, but since his stomach merely held a few sips of coffee, the painful retching only brought up a little bit of fluid. Finally, after what felt like hours, the spasms subsided and he weakly let himself sink against the cold, rough wall at his back, shivering in the clammy chill.

Bits and pieces of his mother’s words kept replaying over and over in his head like a broken record stuck on a particularly nasty passage.

. . . I love him . . .

. . . if keeping our heads above water meant to be extra nice to some man in the hopes of getting a little money out of him, then I did it . . .

. . . your father knew about you, but he still left . . .

. . . I want to be free . . .

He closed his eyes, unable to fight the onslaught of memories. There was just so much his mother had said to him that he was momentarily overwhelmed with the sheer weight of it all. Her denial of what he had told her about Hank, her repeated declarations of love for a man who didn’t deserve it, the revelations about Michael’s father and the realization that getting pregnant with him had only been a ploy to bind the man to her forever. And, lastly, her throwing him out and barring the door to the only home he had ever known. It hurt. Everything hurt. His chest felt like an iron band had been forged around it, impairing his ability to breathe.

Dimly, while his body was battling with the physical shock of what he had learned, his mind wondered how this conversation that he had planned out so carefully before could have gotten so out of control in the span of a few minutes. He had intended to calmly lay before her all the reasons why being involved with Hank was a bad idea and to ask her to break things off with him in the interest of her own well-being. Instead, everything had spiraled downward as soon as they had arrived at the park. Even before that, if he was being honest with himself. And now he was sitting here in a gloomy alley next to a puddle of his own vomit, hugging his knees, with no idea what to do next and where to go. He just felt completely drained.

Eventually, after his raging emotions and confusion had quieted down a little, a thought that had floated at the back of his consciousness for quite some time pushed itself to the surface. Maria. Of course. He needed to tell Maria. She’d kick his ass if he didn’t show up soon. Yes, he would do that. If only he could find enough energy to bring his feet under him and walk the few blocks back to her house. She would take him in. She always did. On the one side, he hated the thought of unloading all of his issues on her just so he wouldn’t have to deal with them alone anymore. But on the other side, he knew that she would get seriously pissed at him if he tried to bottle things up inside again. He snorted faintly. How many times had she tried to beat it into his skull that she wanted to be there for him? And that sharing their problems with each other would make the load easier to carry for both of them? Too many times for him not to get it, he decided and slowly pulled himself up on the wall.

When his legs began to carry him out onto the street and to the Deluca house – a little wobbly-kneed at first, but growing steadier with each step – he stopped worrying about what she would say when he told her everything. He just didn’t have any strength left to spare for that. All that he wanted – all he needed – now was the soft touch of her hand on his hair and the warm embrace of her arms while she whispered sweet nonsense into his ear, letting everything else take a backseat for a little while.

Even though his feet felt like lead weighs and his knees trembled with every step, he made himself move faster, the growing need for Maria pushing his body beyond the boundaries of exhaustion.

There it was. The little house at the end of the street, white paint and overgrown front yard, set back a few yards from the street, almost as if it was hiding from the casual glance of a passing stranger. But he wasn’t a stranger. He was a man in need of comfort and a warm place where he could finally break down. To him, this house was the last place he could go to now that the floor had been ripped out from under him. It was his sanctuary.

He dragged himself the last few paces across the driveway and up the steps and rapped his knuckles against the door quietly. Too quiet. Had she heard? Yes. He caught the sound of her steps approaching the door from the other side.

She opened the door and just looked at him for a moment, taking in his appearance with that clear green gaze of hers. God, he hoped he didn’t look as bad as he felt. But of course he did. The troubled frown on her face told him all he needed to know about how he must look. The times when he could have hidden anything from her were clearly over, he realized. Now, he didn’t have any defenses left.

Quietly, in a shocked voice, she whispered, “Dear God,” and the soft words were all it took for his last walls to come tumbling down.

To his intense mortification, he felt the first tear slip down his cheek and his lips begin to tremble and a detached part of his mind realized with mild surprise that he was about to have an emotional breakdown here on her doorstep.

But, just as he had known she would, she saved him. Her small hands on his back guided him into the house and through the hall to her room. He didn’t see anything and didn’t hear anything besides the soft murmuring of her soft, soothing voice. He didn’t have any attention to spare for anything outside of his own little meltdown, but he followed her lead until his shins bumped against the edge of her bed. He climbed onto the mattress and curled up on top of the blankets, grateful that he could finally lie down and didn’t have to spend so much energy on the sole effort of staying upright. He felt the mattress tilt when she snuggled up behind him, letting her hands wander over his body and continuing to murmur soothing words into his ear.

The tears were hot on his face, but the pillow was cool under his cheek and before he knew it, he let the tears fall freely and surrendered himself to the deep wracking sobs of agony, trusting her to keep him safe for as long as he needed to be weak.

~TBC
~bluejanuar
bluejanuar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: One of Us (M/M, CC, AU, Adult) Chapter 24 - Aug 03, 2011

Post by bluejanuar »

Eve: Thanks so much for feedbacking!

You think it was for the best for Michael? I agree, though I'm sure he doesn't. :roll: What she did was awful and callous and just . . . beyond words. She is a hard woman who came to see her child only as an obstacle on her way to happiness.

You think being alone with Hank won't make her too happy, do you? Well, we'll see . . . Though personally, I hold the opinion that a person who is violent will continue to be so, even when the favorite punching bag is out of reach.

Yes, he has Maria and his other friends. For a guy who feels so utterly alone sometimes, he has a remarkable net of support around him. :D

Thank you!

Chapter Twenty-five – Oh, Mother

Setting the water to boil, taking two mugs out of the cupboard – the yellow ones, with the rainbows, her favorites – and adding cocoa powder and a little sugar, then taking out spoons and the cream from the fridge; the little actions helped her to calm herself, to keep her hands busy while her mind was working overtime. Maybe it wasn’t quite the right season for hot chocolate, she admitted to herself with an internal shrug, but when had chocolate ever not helped in a time of need? Besides, this was the only chance she had to get some calories into Michael: by way of forcefully pouring the liquid down his throat. He would not eat – and had said so in a rather unpleasant manner when she had gently tried to appeal to his usual healthy appetite by listing some of his favorite meals earlier – but maybe she could get him to take at least a little of her steaming chocolate-y magic potion.

With a long sigh, she poured the boiling water into the mugs and began to stir mechanically. After he had more or less collapsed on her bed, crying, with his head pressed into the pillows, she had just held him in her arms for a long time, rocking him and trying to give him comfort from the bodily contact. She had tried to be a safe haven for him, even though the state of emotional distress in which he had shown up on her doorstep had shocked her deeply. And even though she had known – from personal experience as well as from the things she had learned through Michael – that his mother was little more than a cold-hearted bitch, Maria could not fathom what could have happened between Sandra and him that would result in such a breakdown.

She had stroked his hair and caressed his shoulder until, finally, the violent sobs began to let up a little and he began to talk. Hesitantly at first, his voice still clogged from crying, he had recounted to her all the awful things his mother had said to him, resulting, in the end, in her severing the last threads that had been left of the frail bond between her and her son.

He spoke slowly, his tone remote and devoid of all emotions, as if he was telling a story not his own and when he was finished, he just closed his eyes and exhaled a long breath, his body going limp and heavy after completing a task long dreaded and much feared. Maria had left him there then, curled up on her bed, to rest, and went to the kitchen to get control of her own jumbled feelings without disturbing him.

And, boy, did she have a ton of different emotions running through her mind right now! First and foremost: anger, no: rage! Rage against the woman that could inflict so much pain with a casual wave of her hand and a few callous words. The fact that, out of sheer selfishness, she hurt her own child so deeply made Maria’s fingertips tingle with the urge to slap the woman silly.

And then, of course, Maria felt a deep, heart-wrenching pain when she thought about her sweet Michael, coming to her for comfort and relief after his mother had kicked him out, licking his wounds in the solitary confines of her small bedroom as he tried to come to terms with what all of this would mean for his life. He would not be alone, and Maria was confident that he at least knew that. But just at this moment, that knowledge did nothing to ease the anguish he felt.

But under all of the pain and anger she felt, there was a not so little portion of relief, too. Michael might not see it that way yet, himself, but she was almost certain that being away from that violent and loveless situation could only be good for him in the long run, though she knew better than to mention that to him just yet.

The stuttering cough of the ancient Jetta’s engine pulling to a stop in their driveway made Maria look up sharply from where she was still stirring the hot chocolate. Mom! Crap! She wasn’t supposed to come home before tonight! And she hadn’t even thought of a way to explain Michael’s presence to her mother, let alone the fact that he wasn’t at all himself at the moment and not fit for social interaction of any kind.

She dropped the spoon, clattering loudly, onto the counter and hurried to meet her mother at the door, in part to greet her, in part to keep her from announcing her arrival in an all too loud voice – Maria knew her habits – and disturb Michael before she’d had a chance to gently enlighten Amy about the reasons for his presence in their home.

“Mom!” she said, joy getting the upper hand as she caught sight of the slender form of her mother, struggling with several bags in the doorway. “What are you doing here so early? I thought you weren’t going to be here before eight p.m. at the earliest!” She took a huge step over a bulging red bag, dimly wondering if it was possible that her mother had returned from her trip with twice as many bags as she had left with and enveloped Amy in a bone-crushing hug, feeling the relief seep into her at having her back.

“Maria, Sweetie!” Amy cried, surprised, but she returned the embrace with just as much enthusiasm as her daughter. “Oh, my baby girl! I missed you so much!” She laughed, drawing back to take in Maria’s features. “I wanted to surprise you! A week of camping has done wonders to your complexion. You look fabulous!”

Do I? she wondered, because inwardly, she felt like crap. And, to be perfectly honest, two and a half days of camping didn’t really equal “a week” . . . “Thanks, Mom,” she said, aiming to smile in a somewhat convincing manner. “You look good, too.” She eyed all the heavy bags on the floor around their feet and asked, irony showing in her tone, “Been shopping?”

Amy grinned. “Just a little. And,” she added with a glint in her eyes, “I brought you some souvenirs from the convention.”

“Oh, Mom, you shouldn’t have. Really.” Oh, please, not alien presents! Don’t you know your daughter at all, woman?

“Ah, nonsense.” Amy waved away her reply. “Juliet and me finished up a little earlier than expected today and I used the opportunity to stroll by all of the other stands that were just being packed up and was able to get a hold of some very cute gimmicks for half the price.”

Maria glanced down at the red bag by her ankles, eying the sparkling pink antennas that protruded from the opening, assumingly the upper excesses of a small, rubber alien doll. “I see.”

“Maria, don’t be such a wet blanket. Come on into the kitchen and tell me all about your camping trip! Don’t leave out any details, okay? You were so terribly short on the phone with me,” she said accusingly, pulling an unresisting Maria behind her into the kitchen. “You really shouldn’t do that to me, you know? It makes me edgy to know that you are keeping things from me.”

And wouldn’t that just be the most fortunate moment for me to tell you just how many things I have kept from you, Mom? With a sigh, Maria let herself fall into one of the chairs at the kitchen table. Then her eyes widened. Her mother stood by the counter, her hip leaned against the wooden edge and her hand, braced behind her, just inches from the two mugs of hot chocolate. Oh, boy. “Mom . . .”

“What is it, Sweetie? You look a little green. Do you want me to make you a hot chocolate?” Upon Maria’s wide-eyed head-shaking, she rambled on. “Well, okay, if you’re sure. Now tell me: How was camping? You came back on Friday, right? In time for your friend Alex’ birthday? I do have to say that I was relieved when you told me that Michael wouldn’t come with you on the trip. Not that I don’t trust him or anything, it’s just that- Maria, are you sure you’re not ill?” She stood up straighter, alarmed.

“No, I’m alright, really,” she said weakly, feeling her head swim. “Mom, there’s something I have to tell you . . .”

“What is it, Sweetie?” Amy asked, concerned, and let herself sink into the chair opposite her daughter’s. “You know you can tell me anything.”

“Mom, Michael did come to Frazier Woods with us.”

“Oh.” She looked taken aback for a second. “So you spent a week sharing a tent and a sleeping bag with him? I’m not sure I want to hear more.”

“Well, actually, it was more like two and a half days . . .”

“He left early?”

Maria shook her head once, swallowing. Now that she had begun talking, she might as well get it over with and tell her mother the whole truth. If only it wasn’t so damn hard . . . “No, we all did. There was a . . . misunderstanding between Kyle and Michael and since the weather was for crap out there, we all decided it would be best to cut the vacation short.”

“Oh. Well, I’m sorry to hear that. I know how much you’ve been looking forward to the trip.” Amy reached across the table and patted her hand sympathetically. “So you came back to Roswell when? On Tuesday?”

“Uh-huh.” Maria nodded again, eyes fixed on the tabletop. On to the good part . . .

“So, what have you been doing for the rest of the week?” Amy asked. After a look on her daughter’s face, however, she dryly amended, “No, don’t tell me. I daresay I can imagine what you’ve been doing. Michael, hm?”

“Um . . .”

Amy snorted. “You don’t have to tell me the gory details, don’t worry. I was a teenager once. I remember what it’s like.”

“Actually, Mom, there is something else.”

Amy’s eyes narrowed dangerously at that. “Maria, if you tell me you’re pregnant, I’ll move us back to Albuquerque on the spot! But first I’m going to kill Michael.”

“No!” Maria said hastily. “God, no! Jesus! Mom, we haven’t had sex.” Under her breath, she added, “Yet.”

Amy, ignoring that last remark, looked at her sternly. “Then what is it?”

“Promise me you won’t freak out, alright? Michael has . . . he kind of has some issues at home right now, so he couldn’t . . . He has been kind of sleeping here with me since Tuesday.” Maria released the breath she’d been holding.

“Kind of,” Amy repeated dryly, still calm, but with the growing anger visible just under the surface.

“Okay, he has been sleeping here,” she conceded defiantly, “but there really wasn’t another way!”

Amy suddenly smacked her palm down on the tabletop with a loud noise. “Maria Deluca! How could you?”

“Mom, please don’t get mad, okay?” Maria pleaded, hoping that the noise hadn’t caused Michael to jump out of bed down the hall. “I really couldn’t let him go home, so there was no other way than letting him stay. And we didn’t have sex. Honest.” As an afterthought, she added. “You would’ve done the same thing if you knew what was going on.”

Amy rubbed her face. Her cheeks were flushed with agitation. “I’m not even sure I want to know why he can’t go home.” She looked up. “And you didn’t for one second think of calling me and telling me about all this?”

Maria looked back sheepishly. “Um . . . it slipped my mind?”

Amy snorted sarcastically. “Oh, it slipped your mind. Indeed.” She crossed her arms, glaring at her daughter in her best no-bullshit-look. “Alright. Where is that wretched boy now? I want to teach him a thing or two about secretly moving into other people’s homes. His bike isn’t out front so I’m guessing he’s off somewhere. Maybe moving back home?” That last remark was made with a badly concealed tint of hope.

Maria shook her head mutely, avoiding the stern, unwavering look of her mother.

“So where is he?” Amy’s fingers tapped an impatient tattoo on the wooden table. “Maria?”

She looked up.

“An answer, please? Sometime soon, preferably.”

“Uh . . . um . . .” Her gaze flitted to the two mugs on the counter, behind Amy’s back.

Her mother twisted around, following her look. “Oh, so he is here,” she deduced, turning back around.

“Um . . . yes?” she admitted hesitantly, not daring to challenge her mother’s wrath any further.

“Bedroom?”

Maria barely had time to nod before Amy jumped up from her chair and headed for the hall. She hurried after her, clinging to her arm trying to stop her. “Wait, Mom! Where are you going?”

“I already told you, Maria. I’m going to have a nice, long talk with Michael, if he wants to or not.” She dragged Maria after her down the hallway, passing the bathroom door and her own bedroom. “And if he happens to be hiding out in your closet naked, then he is going to be in big trouble,” she threatened, looking back at her daughter just as her hand settled on the doorknob to Maria’s room. “You both are.”

“No, wait!” Maria whispered desperately, trying to pry her mother’s fingers away. “Mom, you can’t go in there! You don’t-”

But it was too late. Amy had already opened the door and resolutely stormed into the room, just to stop short at the sight that greeted her.

Michael had, in fact, not the least been disturbed by Amy’s arrival. He was still lying on the bed, facing the window with his eyes closed, Maria saw over her mother’s shoulder. His chest rose and fell gently in the slow, even rhythm of his breathing as he slept.

From where she stood, Maria couldn’t see her mother’s face, turned away from her as she stood, but she could make out the silver tracks left on Michael’s cheeks from his earlier tears and the slightly reddened eyes and nose, telltale signs of his inner turmoil. Amy must have seen them, too, for she stepped closer to the bed quietly, her demeanor quite the opposite from the previous severity that she had displayed after learning of her involuntary houseguest. She stooped over the head of the bed, and softly laid the back of her hand against his cheek, wiping away the last of the moisture there. Then she pulled the comforter up over his shoulder and straightened up, turning back to Maria as she did so.

“Come on,” she said, her voice pitched low, as she passed her daughter on her way out of the room. “Let him sleep.” She took Maria by the arm and pulled her out of the room, closing the door soundlessly behind them. Then she led the way into the living room, sinking into the couch cushions with a deep, heavy sigh.

Maria followed her lead, dropping down into the armchair opposite her mother and pulled her knees up to her chest, waiting for Amy to say something.

But her mother did not seem to want to say anything on the matter, apparently. Instead, she ran her hands through her hair repeatedly, making the brown waves stand on end like little thorns, muttering under her breath. After several minutes of this peculiar behavior, throughout which Maria had just sat and watched in fascination, Amy looked up, her eyes earnest and – surprisingly – composed. She made an impatient rolling motion with her hand and said, “You’d better tell me everything.”

Maria, heaving a deep sigh of her own, tightened her hold around her knees and did.

“Shit,” Amy mumbled a while later, worrying her bottom lip between her teeth. She had pulled up her knees while listening, unconsciously mimicking her daughter’s pose.

“You can say that again,” Maria agreed whole-heartedly. Her mouth felt parched from talking, but it felt good to come clean with her mother and hand over some of the responsibility. Only now that she had shared Michael’s story with Amy did she realize just how much the knowledge of it had weighed her down.

“Shit,” Amy repeated with a small, fleeting smile, the frown not quite lifting from her features. “God, what an awful woman! The poor child. Is he alright, do you think?”

Maria briefly grimaced at hearing Michael being called a child. Somehow she doubted he’d like that. “I don’t know. I think he will be, once he has come to terms with everything.” She looked steadily across the small coffee table at her mother, soberly stating, “He needs a place to stay.”

Amy groaned, letting her head drop down to her knees. “Maria . . .”

“Mom, please!” Maria put her feet back down to the ground, leaning forward intently. “I’ll do anything you ask of me! I’ll . . . I’ll do the dishes for, like, a month but please, please let him stay here! Please, Mom!” she begged.

“Maria, stop it!” Amy cut her off sharply, holding one palm up while using the other hand to rake through her hair, only succeeding in further disarranging the brown strands. “Let me think, alright?”

“What is there to think about?” Maria asked exasperatedly, her voice rising in agitation while her hands gesticulated wildly. “He needs a place to live, we have space. Everything’s just dandy!”

Amy lifted her head, one eyebrow raised in skepticism. “Except that he’s your boyfriend and you are both still minors. Not to mention that we do not have enough space. We don’t even have a guest room where he could sleep. I can’t let him move in with us, Maria. I don’t even know if that would violate the law or anything. Let alone what it would do to my peace of mind to play chaperone for two hormonal teenagers all the time.” Muttering, she added, “Honestly, I have no idea how Jim does it with Tess and Kyle.”

“Jim?” Maria frowned, puzzled.

“Jim Valenti,” her mother offered. “I thought you knew him. He’s your friend Kyle’s Dad.”

“Well, I know him,” Maria replied tartly. “I just didn’t know that you knew him. And on a first-name basis.” Her mother had suddenly gone a very nice shade of pink, fiddling with the edge of the sofa cushion. How could I miss this? Oh, right. I was distracted.

“Oh, well . . . he ticketed me a few times – You know those ridiculous speed restrictions they have all through the downtown area? Honestly, who expects people to creep along Main Street at thirty mph? – And we just got to talking over a cup of coffee that one day. Nothing major.”

“Uh-huh.” Now it was Maria’s turn to lift an eyebrow.

“Don’t ‘uh-huh’ me, young lady!” Amy sat up straighter, indignant. “I’m a grown woman and I can do what I want. Besides, we weren’t talking about me, were we?”

“No,” Maria conceded grudgingly, returning to the topic at hand. “But Mom, I can’t make Michael leave again! I promised I would help him.”

Amy sighed in sympathy. “Maria, honey, I understand. I do. And he’s really, really lucky to have you for a friend, but . . . where would he sleep?” She saw her daughter open her mouth promptly to reply and forestalled her quickly, “And If the next words out of your mouth are ‘in my bed’, this conversation ends right here.”

Maria snapped her mouth shut, thinking quickly. “Uh, on the couch?”

Amy skeptically eyed the upholstery she was sitting on. It was large enough for three people to comfortably sit next to each other, but even Maria could see that it was much too short for Michael’s large form to stretch out. The older woman shook her head regretfully. “No, that won’t do. It’ll give him a terrible backache after just one night. I’m sorry, Maria.”

Maria jumped up from her perch on the armchair, suddenly unable to sit still anymore. “No, you’re not!” she shouted heatedly, her fear of having to make Michael leave again winning the upper hand against rational thought. “You’re happy that you’ve found an easy way out! You’ll just kick him out and he’ll be all alone again!”

“Maria, you know that’s not true,” Amy said, the pained expression on her face pleading for understanding. “He’s a sweet boy, and I care about him. He doesn’t deserve all the bad things that have happened to him, and of course I won’t just turn him adrift again! I’ll talk to Jim and we’ll find a solution.” Her voice was kind but decisive when she added, “But he can’t stay here. That’s final.”

Maria was just about to draw breath to give a fiery response to this injustice when a deep, slightly husky voice came from the doorway, making both of their heads turn in surprise.

“That’s okay, Mrs. Deluca, I understand,” Michael said in a low voice, avoiding her eye. His big form almost blocked the whole opening where he stood. His clothes were slightly rumpled from sleep and his hair tousled into knots and snarls, but his eyes were dark and lifeless. Gesturing at the darkened hallway behind his back, he murmured, “I’ll just go grab my stuff and then I’ll be gone.”

“No, Michael, wait!” Maria hurried to him and blocked his way, reaching up to caress his cheeks with the tips of her fingers. Suddenly, she felt very close to tears. “I’m sorry, but I had to tell her,” she whispered, still stroking his face lovingly, watching for some sign of emotion on his empty features.

Seeing her distress, he made the effort to smile at her, laying his hand above hers on his cheek, stilling her. “It’s okay,” he murmured soothingly. “It doesn’t matter now.”

“Michael, would you sit down with me for a minute, please?” Amy watched them, gently patting the couch beside her, the gesture as much command as invitation.

He slowly walked over to the couch and sat down beside her, though as far away as the narrow space would allow. It was more than evident that he wanted to be anywhere but there at the moment. Maria plopped down on the armrest beside him, unable to bear the separation.

“Maria told me about your problems at home,” Amy said gently.

He shrugged, studying his hands. “I’m alright.”

She watched him thoughtfully. “No doubt about it. I understand that your mother’s problems with alcohol aren’t such a recent occurrence, are they?”

He glanced up briefly. “On and off over the past couple of years.”

Maria almost snorted at the vast understatement, but kept quiet, though with tremendous effort.

“Have you considered getting your own place?” Amy prodded further, watching him.

“Not really.” He shook his head helplessly. “I’m seventeen. I’m not allowed to live on my own. And besides that, I could never afford an apartment on my own.”

“But you do have a job, right?”

“Yes,” he ground out, getting irritated at what he clearly perceived an intrusion into his private affairs. “I work as an assistant mechanic at Larry’s garage. But that would never pay for food, clothes and rent. Not to mention insurance and all that cra- all that stuff.” He blushed at his almost-slip, clenching his jaw shut.

Amy nodded in understanding. “I guess not.”

“I could take on a second job,” he blurted suddenly. “But . . . I don’t think I could handle two jobs and still finish school.” So quiet that it was almost too low to understand, he muttered, “And I don’t want to drop out.”

“No, that won’t do,” Amy agreed. “What if we could find something really cheap for you? Would you – theoretically speaking – want to live on your own? Or would you rather live with a family? I’m sure we could arrange something with the Sheriff or maybe,” she glanced at her daughter over Michael’s lowered head, “the Evanses?”

“God, no!” His head snapped up, brown eyes wide in a pale face. “I mean, I’m almost eighteen, I’d like to live on my own, but . . . it would have to be really cheap for me to be able to afford it. Like, almost-for-free cheap. And there is no apartment like that around here,” he added, the hopelessness making his shoulders sag.

“Oh, I wouldn’t be so sure about that.” Amy chuckled.

Maria, heartened by her mother’s tone of voice, perked up on her seat. “Do you know a place like that, Mom?” Her hand went to Michael’s, clasping his fingers.

“You know what?” Amy said with a wink at them. “I think I do. But I’ll have to make a few phone calls first and make sure it’s available, so don’t get your hopes up too high just yet, alright?” Seeing their faces lighting up with identical expressions of anticipation, she rolled her eyes, quietly wondering if it had been such a good idea to tell them about the apartment when she wasn’t even sure if- But, looking at Michael’s face where he whispered to Maria, a small spark finally returned to his eyes, she knew it was the right thing. This child needed a home. And she would make sure that he would have one. She raised her voice to address the whispering couple, reaching for her cell at the same time. “Why don’t the two of you get started on dinner while I talk to the owner of the apartment and maybe then we can go look at it tomorrow?”

“But what about . . .” Maria asked her mother, indicating Michael with her eyes, trying to convey the meaning of her question without voicing it. “You know? Tonight?”

For a moment, Amy just frowned at her daughter’s odd grimaces, but then the meaning caught. “Oh.” To Michael, she said, “You’re staying here, of course, honey. On the couch,” she added, in a voice brooking no argument, looking to and fro between them with a stern expression. “And only if you two behave yourself.”

“Scout’s honor!” Maria whooped and jumped up to engulf her mother in a bone-crushing hug. “Thanks, Mom!”

Michael, more reserved, stood up as well, smiling slightly. “Thank you, Mrs. Deluca.”

Amy untangled herself from her daughter, smiling back at him warmly. “You’re welcome, my dear.” Then she pushed both of them out of the living room. “Now shoo, I want to have my peace while I make my calls.”

~TBC
~bluejanuar
bluejanuar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: One of Us (M/M, CC, AU, Adult) Chapter 25 - Aug 16, 2011

Post by bluejanuar »

So glad RF is back! Here's a new part, everyone. Thanks for reading and feedbacking and: Enjoy!

Eve:
Thanks!

I can so relate to you! I grew up in the countryside as well. Only that I seldomly slept over at my friends' houses, but rather had my parents pick me up in middle of the night ;-) They would do anything to ensure that I didn't catch a ride with a stranger.

Chapter Twenty-six – The morning after

Later on Saturday night, Maria and Michael were laying on the couch together, with him curled up behind her, both of them snuggled into the sofa cushions, absorbedly watching a horror flick playing on the small TV in the Deluca living room. It was warm in the room, and dark, with the only light coming from the screen.

Amy had gone to her room a while ago, leaving the two of them to spend some much needed alone time – though not without a warning look in departure, letting them understand that the rules still applied. She had headed off to her bedroom then, leaving her door eloquently cracked open, so that the soft glow of her bedside lamp fell into the dark hall, a narrow streak of yellow in the otherwise black corridor that Maria could see from her position on the couch.

Maria burrowed further into the cushions. Michael’s arm lay heavily on her, and his breath stirred the fine hairs on her neck, tickling her. With a content sigh, she wriggled her bottom a little deeper into the hollow of his lap, enjoying the firmness of his body behind her, the feeling of security a glaring contrast to the scene on TV, where a nameless blonde girl was just being chased through her house by a serial killer.

No, not up the stairs, you idiotic bimbo!, she thought exasperatedly, watching the blonde chick do just that. She grunted quietly in annoyance, punching the cushion under her ear. Why, oh, why isn’t it possible to make a horror movie without beating every cliché to death?

Michael’s snort of mirth on her neck distracted her from the – admittedly lame – action on screen, causing her to twist her head around to him. In the dim, flickering shine of the TV screen, his eyes seemed a bottomless black, like onyx, with a spark of amusement hidden in their depths. Seeing her look of puzzlement, his eyebrow rose. “You move around as if you were lying on an ant hill,” he said, one corner of his mouth lifting. “Is the movie that bad? Or do you just have to use the bathroom?”

She huffed. “No, I don’t have to pee, thanks very much.” Turning back around so her back was to him again, she added, “But this movie is incredibly bad. Why is it that in horror movies, the blondes always die first, someone always says ‘Wait here for me, I’ll be right back’,” she pitched her voice low at that point, imitating the voice of a man, ignoring Michael’s suppressed laughter, “and then dies, and that the people that get chased always end up running up the stairs, consequently maneuvering themselves into a dead end!”

He was still laughing silently, the tremors from his body running through her like an earthquake. “You seem to have thought a lot about that particular topic,” he chortled.

“Well, it’s true!” she defended herself, waving at the screen. “Look at her, she’s just gonna- See? I knew it!” In the movie, the blonde girl had just run into her killer in the attic and was in the process of being chopped to pieces. “Ugh, that’s gross!” she uttered. She turned to lie on her back so she could avoid watching the blood-fest on screen. Her accusatory gaze fixed on Michael. “How is it that you’re not complaining about that stuff? Usually, you’re the movie-critic.”

He gave a one-sided shrug and the corners of his mouth curled up in a mischievous smile. He wriggled his eyebrows suggestively. “To be honest, I wasn’t paying that much attention to the movie . . .”

Intrigued, she probed further. “Then what’s on your mind?”

His right hand slipped under the hem of her shirt and tickled her stomach when he rasped into her ear, “Oh, you know . . . things.”

“Things?” she breathed. The movie was all but forgotten.

“Yeah,” he confirmed in affected gravity. “Lewd things.” Then his tongue darted out to wetly lick her just behind the ear.

“Ewww!” She recoiled at the touch. “Michael, that’s gross!” she hissed. “And besides, what if my mother had seen that?”

He rolled his eyes and let himself fall back into the cushions, though his hand stayed where it was. “Talk about a mood killer . . .”

“Well, it’s true,” she said gruffly, wiping the wet spot on her neck. “Behave yourself, will you?”

He shrugged again, grinning. “Gonna be difficult.” The tips of his fingers kept drawing a pattern on her stomach.

“Try,” she ordered.

“Aye, aye, Sir!” He pretended to watch the movie with single-minded concentration, but his hand still tickled her skin in a repetitive motion.

“Michael . . .”

“What? I’m not doing anything!” he said with wide-eyed innocence, then ordered, “Watch the movie.”

“I can’t concentrate when you do that.”

“Fine!” He pulled his hands away, holding them up for her to see. “Better now?”

“No,” she answered dryly. A small smile played around her lips at his affronted behavior. “But at least this won’t get us killed if my mom walks in on us.”

After a long, expressive look, he finally resigned and settled in beside her again, though this time he kept his hands to himself. He nodded at the screen where the second victim, a tall, burly man, had just had his arms chopped off with a chainsaw. “You know, I think I actually know this movie already.”

She laughed. “And you just noticed that now? Really observant, Michael. And are there going to be a lot more scenes like that one?” Usually, she didn’t mind blood in horror movies, but this one was a bit much, even for her taste.

“I think so.” He frowned slightly at the TV.

“You think? I thought you had seen it.”

“Well, ‘seeing’ might have been the wrong word.” He stretched out on the couch with a groan, sliding his arm around her shoulders and pulling her closer as he got ready to recount the story. “Esther and me, we used to watch these kinds of movies all the time when I visited her. We would sit on the floor in front of the TV, eating popcorn, and watch bad horror flicks.” A faint smile lifted one corner of his mouth at the memory. “It was really fun. Only that, every time something even remotely violent would come on, she would hold a pillow in front of my face so that I couldn’t see the screen anymore. I only heard the screams from the speakers and watched my aunt making disgusted grimaces from the side. I don’t think she realized that that only made it worse for me.” He grinned lopsidedly at the memory. “Imagination is a terrible thing for a kid in this case.”

She smiled in response and rested her cheek on his shoulder. “You talk about your aunt pretty often.”

He shrugged uncomfortably. “Yeah, we’re . . . pretty close, I guess. She’s cool. When I was younger, I often wondered what it would be like if she was my mother instead of my real mom.”

“Did she know about what was going on with your mother?”

“She knew . . . some,” he said quietly, the hesitation evident in his voice and expression. “Not all of it, but enough. I think she would’ve tried to take custody of me if I asked her to, but . . . that would’ve never worked out. I didn’t want to burden her with having to take care of a child and, deep down inside, I knew I never would’ve left my mom.” He snorted without humor. “Pretty sick, huh?”

“No, not at all.”

“Yeah, well. But Esther gave me a place I could go to when things got rough, so that was okay, I guess. It made things better.”

“I’m glad she did,” she said wholeheartedly.

He didn’t answer; just stared unseeingly over her head at the screen for a few minutes. Then, quite out of context, he asked, “If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go?”

“Disney Land,” she promptly answered. “I always wanted to go, but somehow it never worked out. And you?”

“The ocean.” He had a dreamy look on his face when he said it.

“Which one?”

A one-sided shrug lifted his shoulder under her ear. “I don’t care. As long as there’s water as far as the eye can see, I’m happy.”

One second passed, in which both of them let that sink in. Two seconds. Three. Then Maria propped herself up on her elbow, bringing herself nose to nose with Michael. He was grinning, and so was she when both of them burst out at the same moment, “California!”

Michael laughed, holding her tightly to his chest. “Alright. So our plans are set for the summer.”

“Oh, I can’t wait to go swimming in the ocean,” she gushed excitedly. “With you . . . all wet,” she wriggled her eyebrows at him suggestively, her voice dropping to a sultry murmur. “With nothing on save your swim trunks, or maybe with nothing on at all . . .”

He snorted, unfazed. “Who’s having lewd thoughts now, eh?”

“That’s your bad influence.”

He grinned, but sobered up almost immediately. “But before we can make any plans for the holidays, I’ll have to talk to the Sheriff. It’s the only way to save my mother from that ass. I hope.”

“When will you call him?” she asked gently.

“Tomorrow morning.” He cleared his throat, staring at the ceiling. “He won’t be at the station since it’s the weekend, so I’ll try to catch him at home, see what he says.”

“It will be alright,” she assured him and caressed his cheek.

“You sound remarkably sure of that.”

“That’s because I have faith in you.” She pressed a soft kiss to the edge of his chin. “And in the Sheriff.”

“Well, then . . .” He trailed off resignedly.

A loud bang from Amy’s bedroom and the repeated on-and-off flickering of the light streak in the otherwise black corridor – a sign for someone flicking the light switch beside her bed over and over – clued them in that their chaperone found it to be time for everyone to retreat into their respective sleeping quarters.

“I guess it’s time to break this party up before she demolishes her whole bedroom.” Maria sighed and sat up with difficulty - hampered by the yielding softness of the couch cushions and Michael’s half-hearted attempts to pull her back down to him. She giggled and raised her voice to loudly announce into the direction of her mother’s bedroom door, “Good night, Michael!” Quietly, to him, she whispered, “Sweet dreams” and kissed him before she stood up and slinked away to her room, closing Amy’s bedroom door in passing with a murmured “Night, Mom.”

In her dream, Maria was swimming in the ocean. The water wasn’t cold. Instead, it felt smooth and warm, gliding over her skin in slow waves as she moved through it with even strokes; like a lover’s touch caressing her skin. The soft rushing of the water was in her ears and the glaring light of the sun overhead made it hard for her to see anything, blinding her.

In the back of her sleeping mind, she became aware that this was a dream, and that the light warming her face was the morning sun, greeting her from outside the window. Doggedly, she screwed her eyelids shut, clinging to sleep with fuzzy-minded stubbornness and trying to keep the pleasant dream from slipping away.

The ocean in her dream had begun to fray at the edges, but it was still there. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Michael appeared in front of her, surfacing from the waves like a seal, with his hair dark and shiny with wetness, hanging to his shoulders in dripping strands. He was slowly approaching her, walking towards her, wearing one of those rare, heart-stopping smiles of his. The receding waves revealed more and more of his naked torso with every step, and Maria realized that she, too, wasn’t swimming anymore, but standing waist-deep in the water, toes curled into soft sand, with the waves tickling her bellybutton. She felt her features stretch in an answering smile when he came to stand in front of her, close, thinking that her heart must either burst with joy and love, or stop altogether when he bent down to kiss her. Then his taste was in her mouth and she didn’t think any longer. The cries of seagulls reached her ears from the distance.

Maria opened her eyes to the realization that the feeling of his lips on hers was real. “Mmmmmmmmmmorning,” she murmured against his smiling mouth, stretching languidly beneath him, blinking against the bright morning sun. He was lying on top of her, with most of his weight braced on his elbows on either side of her body, and the solidness of him through the blankets gave her a very pleasant feeling in the pit of her stomach. “What did I do to deserve this?”

“Everything,” he rasped. The stubble on his face tickled her. “Slept well?”

“Hm-hm.” She nodded. Then she drew back a little, looking him over. “And you? Was it very terrible on the couch?” He looked a little wrinkled around the edges, but otherwise fine. Rested. Also, she noticed, he was fully dressed already.

“Och, no.” He gave her a crooked smile, shrugging. “I’ll be crippled for the rest of my life, but otherwise . . .”

Now that her brain slowly started to take up its usual functions, she began to notice what was wrong with this whole scenario. She frowned at the half-open doorway. “How did you get in here? Is my mom still asleep?”

“Nope. She’s in the kitchen making breakfast. I managed to sneak by unnoticed.” He grinned down at her, looking incredibly pleased with himself, like a cat licking the last drops of illicitly imbibed cream from its whiskers. On top of that, he started almost purring now, bending down to press soft kisses on her skin, making a sort of low humming deep in his throat as he settled more heavily on her.

“That’s what you think,” she replied skeptically. Yet, she tilted her head back to expose her neck, giving him more room to “work”. Her fingers tangled in his hair as she continued, “My mother has radar for everything you want to keep from her. There is no ‘sneaking’ around her, believe me.”

As if summoned by that statement, the sharp, loud voice of Amy Deluca made both of them freeze in mid-motion. “MARIA, IF ONE OF YOU DOESN’T EMERGE FROM YOUR ROOM IN THE NEXT FIVE SECONDS, THERE WON’T BE ANY BREAKFAST FOR EITHER OF YOU!”

Her gaze hastily flitted to the open – and thankfully empty – doorway. Her mother was still in the kitchen, wisely sparing herself the sight of catching her daughter in bed with her boyfriend. Maria cocked an eyebrow at Michael. “See?”

He looked totally flabbergasted. “How did she do that?”

“I told you, she has radar. Or maybe the sixth sense, or the sight. All I know is that she isn’t making empty threats.” She sat up, pushing him off of her. “I’ll go take a shower- and no, you can’t join me. As much as I’d love for you to.” She winked, looking back at him sprawled on the bed as she stood up. “Anyway, you have other stuff to do.”

He groaned, covering his eyes with his right arm while his left hand groped in his jeans pocket for his cell. “Yeah, you’re probably right.”

“MARIA!”

Maria hunched her shoulders, quickly gathering up her things.

“I should try to reach the Sheriff.” He sat up himself, rubbing his face with one hand while he dialed with the other.

Maria blew him a kiss from the doorway and turned to leave. She heard his first few, mumbled words just before she shut the door to give him some privacy.

“Sheriff Valenti? Hi, it’s Michael . . .”

After a brief, hot shower, Maria walked into the kitchen, clad in a jeans skirt and a tank top. Her mother was standing at the stove, whisking eggs in a bowl. “Morning, Mom,” she greeted amiably. With a look back at the hallway into the direction of her still-closed bedroom door, she said, “You know, there’s really no need to yell the house down just because he was wishing me a good morning.”

“You’re right, there wouldn’t be,” Amy agreed with dryly, raising one eyebrow. “If that was all he was doing . . .”

Maria chose not to answer that remark. Instead, she stepped closer and peered into the bowl in her mother’s hands. “Scrambled eggs? Yummy. Can I have mine with tomatoes?”

“Of course. What are your plans for today?”

Maria dropped down into one of the kitchen chairs, groaning. “I have to work the morning shift at the CrashDown. Thanks for reminding me.”

“Sorry,” Amy piped, but without real sympathy. “Working on the last free day before school really sucks.” She poured a portion of the whisked eggs into the heated frying pan and dropped a handful of tomato slices on top of the sizzling mass. The eggs instantly began to clot and the heavenly aroma of tomatoes filled the air.

Maria sniffed. “It does.”

“Do you want me to drive you over?” her mother asked, scraping the finished eggs onto a plate and setting it on the table in front of Maria. Then she returned to the stove and poured the rest of the eggs into the pan, mixed with bacon.

“No, thanks. Michael said he would.” They had both gone to retrieve his bike from its lonely spot by the park before dinner the day before and it was now parked in the driveway, side by side with the red Jetta. Maria picked up her fork. “He’s talking to the Sheriff right now.”

“Oh,” was all Amy said in response to that. Then she cracked another egg in the pan for him. Comfort food, supposedly. “So, do you two want to come look at the apartment this afternoon?”

“Yes, of course!” she exclaimed, her speech muffled from the mouthful of eggs and tomatoes. Quickly, she swallowed, enthusiastically gushing, “I can’t wait to see it, and I bet Michael is also pretty excited about it. Too bad we don’t know where it is yet.” She waggled her eyebrows expressively at her mother. Amy had kept a tight lid on all information regarding the apartment since speaking to the owner, barely informing them that it was still available before refusing to give away any more details. “If we knew, we could make plans with our friends for what needs to be done before he can move in,” Maria hinted now.

Amy just smiled enigmatically. “Pity, that, huh?”

“Moooom . . .” Maria whined, momentarily regressing back to third-grade level.

Amy laughed. In Maria’s opinion, she was enjoying her advantage way too much. With finality, her mother now said, “Nope, it’s a secret. I’ll pick you both up after your shift.”

~TBC
~bluejanuar