Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 23 (08/27/12) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 23 (08/27/12) [WIP]

Post by WR »

Like the man said,
Hello boys! I'm Ba-ack!

Well, clueless contacted me the other day and worked so hard to persuade me to continue with my story. Ok, so she didn't have to try too hard. I have always felt guilty at leaving it unfinished and promised myself that I would finish it. But what with one thing and another (and some interesting new shows that I got absorbed in) I kind of kept getting sidetracked.

I'm going to repost this from the beginning, so those of you who started to read can pick it up again and those new to my stories can start afresh.

Without further adiu, I present...

Disclaimer: Characters that appeared in the series, the books are not mine. Belong to Melinda Metz, UPN, etc, etc.

Category: AU. Aliens. M&L CC A little UC to start.

Rating: Mature

Author's note: As always, a big thank you to my Beta team. BelevnDreamsToo and Smac. They give me the confidence to write and more importantly, to post. Thank you girls. I hope fate smiles on me one day and allows me to treat you both to dinner.

Summary: Boy meets girl… and as usual, a total case of miscommunication. How long will it be before they get their ‘Till Death us do Part’?

Prologue

October, 2004

The scene could only be described as chaos. With a capital ‘c’. Any pretensions that this party was ‘organized’ or ‘orderly’ had vanished hours ago, probably around the time someone had spiked the fruit punch, which had already been spiked earlier. It was far from a Bacchanalian orgy, but neither was it at all innocent. There was a heady undercurrent of testosterone… and estrogen. Not to mention the haze of pungent smoke from the herbal cigarettes - at least ‘herbal’ would be what the smokers’ claimed they were – that pervaded the whole lascivious atmosphere.

Everyone had split into distinct collections. A group of girls dressed in hot fashions stood to one side, some holding bottles of alcoholic based ‘pop’ drinks, others holding plastic beakers of ‘fruit’ punch. They giggled, they shrieked, they wavered unsteadily on their feet. And while they wavered, they primped, they preened and they posed as they discussed which member of their audience they wouldn’t mind taking up with – or getting down with.

Across the room, their eyes fixed on the talent, single males stood with bottles or cups of beer while they swapped manly stories of their sporting or sexual prowess. Perhaps they used their stories to try to decide their pecking order; a method of sorting who the alpha male was. They were waiting for some unknown signal. A signal that would send some of them in the direction of the females, eager to carry out their caveman duties and drag his conquest to a quiet and preferably dark corner to perform whatever activities they could, given the amount of alcohol they had consumed.

The remainders, those less desirables who knew that the ‘fashionistas’ across the room would scarcely give them the time of day, unless they were passed out cold, would head for the kitchen to locate another beer. They would wait for the time when one of their quarry had indeed, passed out cold. For every action, there was an equal and opposite reaction. That meant that there would be females who could only be described as less desirable, but who would look much better when the viewer was wasted.

Aside from these two main groups, other communities had formed. Over there, behind the upturned pot plants and discarded beer-kegs, and in front the large, towering black boxes from which a steady and heady rhythmic beat pulsated through the room, bodies writhed in a ritualistic ceremony that raised temperatures and pulse rates. The skin of the participants shone in the pale light, reflecting the gaily colored lights from the sheen of sweat that covered them. If any of them talked, at all, no one could hear them. Some had their eyes closed, others had them half lidded. A few of them were one step away from joining the other group.

This collection of people represented those couples who had already conquered their caveman urges, claimed their booty by the hair and had dragged them to the dark corner of the dwelling place. Having performed that ritual long enough, they were now sprawled across love seats and the sofa, their hand’s vanishing beneath clothing and on the constant move as they explored soft… and hard flesh while their tongues sought ways to invade the other’s throats.

This was the murky, often explored world of a ‘Frat Party’.

“Tell me. What are we doing here again?” the middle member of a new group of three young men who had just arrived, asked his two colleagues.

He was watching the group of girls as one of them seemed to notice him. With what he assumed was to her, a sultry smile, she started to undulate her body. He wondered if she imagined this to appear sexy.

“The alien concept you are searching for,” the friend to his left shouted into his ear, “is ‘to have fun’!”

“We’ve been invited to a Frat Party,” his other friend added. “Forget about your freaking books and just get plain freaky.”

“Freaky?” the man in the center looked doubtful. He nodded at the young woman who was trying hard to attract his attention. “Freaky like that?”

Losing her balance, she tripped over a cushion that was on the floor. She fell backwards, her legs and arms flying akimbo, raising a mighty cheer from the gathered cavemen across the room as the unfortunate woman exposed the fact that she had come to the party commando. The unfortunate woman had no time to feel embarrassed for at that moment, she rolled to her hands and knees and promptly emptied her stomach down the side of a nearby luckless potted palm.

“You could do worse,” the first friend nodded sagely. “At least you know she ain’t gonna say no.”

Evan as he was speaking, a guy appeared to help her up. Supporting her weight, the young man helped her from the room, heading for the stairs with a thumbs up and cheer from the dog pound. The hyenas had acquired their first kill.

“”Missed your chance,” the second friend shook his head.

“Bummer,” the first young man gave a sarcastic roll of his eyes.

“Look, dude,” he was pulled by his shoulders to look directly at his first friend. “Get your head out of your books and just get some head. Got it?”

“Whatever,” he shrugged.

“Now, there’s a hot babe over there with my name on her ass. Or rather, it will be, in about an hour.”

“So what am I supposed to do?” he called at their retreating backs.

“Get yourself laid!” one of them called back, taking a sealed can of beer from a passing stranger and tossing it across the room to his friend.

The two friends vanished among the crowds, each one seeking a beer, a babe or both. And not necessarily in that order. Alone, he suddenly felt exposed. Popping the tab of the can, spraying himself with beer foam in the process, he took a couple of large gulps. He looked around for the last of the groups normally associated with these parties, the one to which no one really wanted to belong; but was often heavily populated, the parietis corollarium. More commonly known as the wall-flower.

“Did we really have to come here?” the young woman turned to her friend, her face twisted with doubt. “You know I don’t feel comfortable in places like this.”

“Ah come on,” her friend waved her objection away. “We’re at college now. We’re adults. And that means no more of those lame-o high school parties. We’re at a bona fide Frat house party with bona fide Frat house members, some of whom are bona fide hunks. I say we just… go for it.”

“I didn’t even attend those lame-o High School parties,” the first girl looked away from the woman who had just fallen over, exposing herself to the hordes of leering, drunk Frat members across the room.

Self consciously, she pulled at the hem of the dress that she felt was way too short, happy that unlike that drunken woman, she had not come commando.

“That’s ‘cause I didn’t go to your High School,” her friend chuckled. “So look. Just look at all those guys who are all looking at us. I say you cut loose your inhibitions and prepare yourself for the ride of your life. You’re my best friend now, and college is going to be such a blast. Starting right here, right now. So, while I go see about getting some drinks, you go see if you can find us a couple of hunks for later.”

“You’re kidding, right?” her eyes flared wide with fright as her friend moved into the party.

“Relax,” she smirked. “What’s the worst that could happen? Some hot jock might even hit on you.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” the girl pouted, moving to find a quieter part of the house.

It had been a trying experience. She was not used to guys constantly hitting on her. But, fortunately her friend had abandoned her. Finding a quiet room, she took a clean plastic beaker filled it with some punch and sat in the corner, among a group of people who were not party animals. It was good to get away from the drunken slobs.

“Hey,” a tall handsome young man who was definitely not drunk and most assuredly not a slob hovered over her.

“Do you mind if I sit here?” he indicated the seat on the sofa next to her.

“Sure,” she nodded. “I mean, no. I don’t mind.”

“This not your scene, either?” he asked.

“Not really,” she shook her head. “It’s way too wild for me.”

“Me too,” he agreed. “My roomies dragged me here. They wanted me to cut loose. Not my style, though.”

“Same,” she stared at her cup, drained it and nodded.

“Look,” he sighed. “I’m sorry if I’m bothering you. It’s just… you seem a nice person, you’re definitely not drunk and unlike some of those others out there, I really doubt you’re going to throw yourself at me. And I’m not trying to make some play for you and I was kind of hoping that while we’re both waiting for our friends to finish up…” he looked back into the room. “I thought maybe we could just… you know. Talk.”

She stared at her empty cup again.

“You promise that’s all you want?”

“Well,” he smiled. “You’re certainly pretty enough to want more from, but no. I… I like to get to know people first… you know? I’m not really a…”

“Neither am I,” she shook her head.

“Can I get you a refill?” he nodded at her empty cup.

“Sure,” she smiled. “It’s the fruit punch.”

“Is it good?” he looked from the cup he had just accepted and into the kitchen.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “It’s really good.”

“I’ll grab some for myself, as well then,” he shrugged his shoulder. “Won’t be a moment.”

As the young man woke up the following morning, three sensations hit him in rapid succession. The first was that his throat was feeling like a riverbed that had been dry for the past century, complete with cactus, a weather worn steer skull and the obligatory vulture perched on a aging sign. The second, which was totally expected given the first sensation, was that of the pneumatic drill going off inside his head, making his eyeballs ache, his teeth ache and even his aches ache. Having never suffered a hangover in his life, he now knew what one felt like. Sure, he had heard of the symptoms and so recognized them for what they were, but no one had ever described this third sensation when they told him how they felt on a morning after. A very warm, snugly weight on his left shoulder and something equally warm and soft pressing against the whole of his left side.

Risking a severe increase in pain, he opened his eyes to look at the cause of this sensation and, upon discovery, closed them tight again.

“Shit,” he swore at himself. “This is not good. What the hell have you done?”

He opened his eyes again to make sure that his brain was not playing some trick on him as a means of getting some revenge for the previous night’s excesses. Nope. She was still there. He collapsed back onto the pillow.

“This can’t be happening,” he cursed.

For a third time, he risked opening his eyes, this time taking a good look at his… ‘partner’. Small, petite even, with long lustrous hair the color of molasses. Who the hell was this?

And then it came back to him.

He had been talking to her, small things of no consequence, really. It was a fun conversation without actually delving too deep into one another’s ‘space’. Amidst the chaos of party that was going on somewhere over there, it was a veritable oasis of peace and normalcy.

Apart from that first beer he had drunk earlier, the only thing they had touched all night was the fruit punch? Why then, would he have a hangover? Spiked, he groaned, reaching his right hand to his eyes. Which would explain why their conversation had grown funnier and funnier. And which would also explain the current situation because not only was he not the sort of person who would bring a random girl home for random sex, he rather suspected that neither was the girl.

“Oh, god,” he rubbed his forehead. “I hope she’s on the pill because I know for a fact I didn’t have any protection.”

But, what a night it had been. He may have been wasted, but he could clearly remember the passionate night of unbridled lust in which they had participated; how she had screamed with her climaxes too many times to count. Whatever else it was, it was great. How he had seen things, thing he had no right to see. It was momentous. Totally amazing. Especially since this was his first time. He wondered if it had been hers, too. Probably, he decided, given that like him, she was in the wallflower room. And a more beautiful wallflower he had yet to see.

“Shit!” his eyes flew open. “What’s the etiquette in a situation like this? Think. Think. What would my mother do? Duh!” he knocked the side of his head with his fist and regretted the action in an instant. “Your mother would never find herself in this situation. Breakfast. Yes. You have to offer her breakfast. Right. Except that you barely have enough coffee in the jar for one, let alone any food.”

He looked at her, the sheet molded to her form and felt his stomach rumble. It wasn’t from hunger.

“The store,” he shook away thoughts he felt that he should not be having. “I can zip out quick, grab some rolls and coffee and butter and jam… and milk. Five minutes, tops.”

His companion gave a soft whimper of complaint when he started to ease his body out from under her. He knew what she meant. The loss of contact was something he didn’t like, either. He hoped that he would feel that particular sensation again, soon. She rolled over, taking the sheet with her. It was a struggle to pull his eyes away from her.

He stepped into his jeans and pulled on a T-shirt that had been left on the floor. He grabbed his keys, his wallet and wedged his feet into his sneakers. Pausing at the door, he scribbled a hasty note and perched it on the bedside table, close to her head. With a final smile, he slipped through the door and ran hell for leather, ignoring his pounding headache, to the nearby convenience store. Get some Advil, too, he mentally noted.

The sound of a closing door roused her. As soon as she was able to process any thought, she found that she was actually unable to process any thoughts because her brain was complaining about the hammering going on inside her skull. Just as she started to get to grips with that problem, another came up. Her throat felt like it had been on fire and was full of ashes and soot. Each one of those quintessential hangover symptoms vanished in a flash when she realized that she was not in her own bed. Her eyes flying open in panic, she noticed at once that she was not even in her own room. Not only that, she was naked, covered only by a thin sheet. And then the real worry hit her. Muscles that she had never known existed started to complain. Her hand dipped along her abdomen and she parted her thighs a little.

“Oh my God!” she swore at herself as she felt the evidence that she was no longer a virgin. “Oh no! What have you done?”

Her mind raced. Last night had been her first unsupervised party. When her friend… Friend? Hell, no! What kind of dreind drags you to a party like that? When she had been left alone, she had found a room where there were people just sitting and talking. A quiet room. The guy, the really hot guy had joined her. They had only been drinking punch, so how did she get the hangover? How did she end up in this bed? Had he spiked her drink? Had he slipped a date rape drug into her punch? Then she remembered that the two of them had become more and more giggly as they talked. She remembered him slurring his words so badly, it made her laugh until her drink bubbled back through her nose.

“Someone spiked the punch,” she groaned. “Both of us were wasted.”

She turned slightly to see if her partner was still asleep. When she found the bed empty, she struggled to an upright position and frowned. That was when she remembered that the sound of a door closing was what had awoken her.

“Oh, god,” she buried her face in her hands. “He couldn’t even bring himself to wait for me to leave. He left me to let myself out. What a bastard!”

Not that she was experienced… how could a virgin have experience? – but she had known that what they had shared last night had been so absolutely wonderful. She had remembered how he had made her feel, even as inebriated as they had both been. She could clearly remember him crying out as they came together, as loudly as she had. And the prick couldn’t wait to be rid of her. Dressing quickly, she didn’t even bother to put her shoes on. She slammed the door behind her and ran just as fast as she could, hardly even noticing where she was.

Inside the empty room, the draft caused by the slamming door sucked the unseen note from the table and it floated to the floor, to stand between the bed and the door.

“Gone to get breakfast. Please wait. I’d like to talk to you. I’m sorry about the circumstances, but I’d really like to get to know you. I think you are wonderful. Please wait for me. XXX”

Last edited by WR on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 24 times in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 1

Post by WR »

Yes, this story WAS posted before (up to chapter 19) before I kind of vanished for a while. It resided in Dead and Buried but has now been deleted. Glad you all remember me, glad you still want to read my story :)

Chapter 1

Author’s Note: Cal Langly in this story is NOT an Alien!

Sunday April 5th

With only a handful of years until his retirement, Detective Roy Montoya of the San Diego Police Department had seen it all. The short, balding man with a waist line enhanced by too many fast food dinners and donuts, had worked his way up from the streets as a rookie beat cop, through the ranks to earn the badge of a detective that he now carried with a weary pride.

“Whatcha got there?” he watched Carl Gartner enter their office reading an opened file.

He had been partnered with Gartner for all of seven months, one week for every year of his young partner’s age. Carl Gartner was only twenty-eight years old, but Montoya was already wondering just how far – and how fast - his hotshot partner would rise. He was a collegiate graduate, fast tracked, or whatever they called it these days, taken straight from college into the academy and after an intensive training period, promoted to the ranks of detectives. Montoya had often wondered what ever had happened to the old fashioned method of proving your worth by working the streets first and then working your way up? While he had no doubts of his young partner’s abilities, or his dedication, where was the man’s experience? Hell, he knew that answer only too well. Montoya was his experience. The powers that be were hoping that the young man would absorb his years of knowwledge like a sponge, before they put the old man out for retirement. It was happening everywhere.

“Just an 809,” Carl Gartner, the junior partner handed him a single sheet of typed paper. A color photograph of an attractive, smiling blonde haired woman looked up at them. A red banner ran across the top of the page advertising the petite young blonde as a ‘Missing Person’, commonly known as an 809 in radio code. “Chief just gave it to us.”

Carl Gartner was tall, blond, blue eyed and squared jawed. Unlike his mentor, he was fit and lean. Unlike his older partner’s suit, which looked as though it had been slept in, left out in a hurricane and then used to wrap a couple of take away meals, the young man’s suit was immaculate and tailored to fit him like a glove. His tie was neat and crisp, pulled all the way up to the fastened top button while Montoya’s was a sloppy knot that hovered an inch or two below his unbuttoned top two buttons. Carl was a frequent visitor to the gym, as well as the racquetball court and a running track while the older man got his exercise flipping sports channels with the remote control. And so far, Montoya had never seen the man eat a donut. The young man’s whole demeanor seemed strange but his dislike of donuts was, in Montoya’s opinion, simply not natural.

Gartner was as enthusiastic as any of the other new detectives that served the San Diego area. Initially, he had thought it a case of bad luck when he had been assigned to the slovenly old man. He quickly found the reverse to be true when he realized that beneath the scruffy exterior was the most experienced detective in San Diego, if not all of California itself. What he lacked in style, he made up for in intuition and experience. The Chief had told Gartner that he would go a long way under the old man’s tutelage. Carl could not have asked for a better mentor and he had quickly learned that it paid to listen to the old man’s wisdom.

“No such thing as ‘just’ an 809,” Montoya shook his head. “That is someone’s daughter. Someone’s sister… wife… girlfriend. They’re never ‘just’ anything. Remember that. Now, what have we got?”

“Female, Caucasian,” the younger man read from the Missing Person’s Report. “Goes by the name Sarah Jennings. Disappeared on or about the evening of April third. Friday night. Twenty-four years old. Good job, loving family. Good circle of friends. No known vices, no known enemies. Lived alone in rented accommodation in a quiet, residential area. She left her place of work on Friday night at four thirty p.m. seeming a little excited, according to her work colleagues. She hinted that she had a date. She was later seen by one of her neighbors, climbing out of her car at approximately four forty-five at her house on Quintard Street in Castle Park. The neighbor agreed that she seemed a little excited. He joked with her about a big date, to which she replied, ‘perhaps’. He witnessed her leaving a little later. We have no sightings of the woman since then. Her car was found in a mall parking lot over on Elway. No taxi records of a pickup matching her description from there. Every hospital and institution in the San Diego area has been alerted, but nothing so far. No trace from Highway, or any other department.”

“Family?” Montoya narrowed his eyes.

“Her parents live over in Utah. She visits them once every two or three months. If she did leave to visit, she never made it.”

“Uh huh,” the older man nodded. “Forensics?”

“Her house shows no sign of a break in, no struggle…” Gartner scanned the sheet. “All sets of prints have been traced, being her own, and a elderly woman from across the road who often takes in her mail. There are no signs of a struggle, and no one was able to ascertain if anything was missing. Officers were unable to find her credit cards but no one has tried to use them. There has been no activity on her bank or savings accounts. She seems to have just… vanished.”

“I have a bad feeling about this,” Montoya shook his head as he peered over at the sheet. “A really bad feeling. What have we got about this ‘date’?”

“Nothing,” Gartner shook his head. “There’s an ex-boyfriend but he hasn’t seen her for two or three months. He’s in another relationship right now, has been since they split up, which he says was his idea.”

“Pretty girls like that just don’t disappear without good cause,” Montoya sat down. “I really have a bad feeling about this.”

“In what way?” Gartner looked up, his eyes narrowing.

“I don’t know,” Montoya shook his head. “I just get these bad vibes.”

“You think she’s dead, huh?”

“Oh, yeah,” Montoya nodded with a sad frown. “She’s dead alright. And just as soon as we can conduct forensics on her, we can find the son of a bitch who killed her.” He turned to look at the large map of San Diego behind him. “The question is, where is her body? She’ll turn up. They always do. And when she does, she’ll tell us everything she can.”

Sunday April 5th

Sitting in identical armchairs, close enough that the corners met, both of them angled slightly inward, two ladies, one middle aged and the other a fresh faced youngster were sitting back and ‘chatting’. They both wore stylish pants suits. It might have been two old friends at home, or a mother and daughter discussing their day had it not been for the studio lights, the microphones, the audience, the cameras and all the crew who worked hard to make sure that the current edition of ‘Ophi’ went as smoothly as every episode before. Unlike the other shows, ‘Ophi’ went out live. Looking far more relaxed than her younger guest, the show’s hostess, Ophelia Windham, or ‘Ophi’ as she was affectionately known - was talking quietly to her younger guest, putting her at ease.

“Places everybody,” one of the crewmembers called.

A camera moved closer to the two ladies.

“Three, two and… one!” came the call.

“Welcome back,” Ophi looked straight into one of the cameras. “With me tonight is probably the hottest talent in Hollywood right now, Elizabeth Parker. As you know, her latest film, ‘Nancy’ is soon to be released, a film I’m sure we are all looking forward to. Why don’t you tell us about the film, Elizabeth?”

“You know what, Ophi?” Elizabeth’s eyes sparkled in the studio lights. “Why doesn’t everyone just buy a ticket and go see it for themselves.”

“I understand they’ll see a great film,” Ophi nodded with a smile. “Can you tell us just a little bit? Like, just who is Nancy?”

“Nancy is Nancy Wake,” Elizabeth nodded. “She was the Allies' most decorated servicewoman of World War II; she fought alongside the Maquis group of the French Resistance.”

“As luck would have it,” Ophi turned to the camera, “we can show you a clip from the film.”

The studio lights faded as an image started to play on a large screen to one side of the set.

“Jean,” the petite dark haired woman in the dark dress moved across the plain, barren room. There was only a rickety bed and a small wardrobe for furniture. She seemed surprised to see the gaunt young man who had just entered her room. “Any news?”

“Yes, Nancy,” Jean gave a grim nod. “It is as we suspected. “Gisleaux has betrayed you.”

“But why?” she frowned. “I thought Gisleaux was a loyal Frenchman?”

“Five million francs was too much for him to turn down,” Jean shrugged.

“Five million francs?” Nancy blinked. She took two steps backwards. “I have a price on my head?”

“You do,” he nodded. “And if Gisleaux thinks he will have time to spend it before he is dead, he is very much mistaken. Oh, and the Gestapo have even given you a nickname.”

“Nothing too flattering, I expect,” she gave a smirk of disgust.

“Surprisingly,” Jean snorted with contempt. “It’s a kind of compliment.”

“Oh?” Nancy looked intrigued.

“They call you ‘die Weissemaus’. The white mouse.”

“Oh,” Nancy blinked in astonishment.

“And of course,” Jean looked pained. “That means you have to leave Marseilles right away. We must get you to England.”

“But what about Henri?” a look of concern flooded Nancy’s face. “He will not leave.”

“Your husband is as stubborn as you,” Jean growled. “He will not leave. But neither will he betray you. Now, come. We must go now.”

There was extended applause as the studio lights came back up.

“Did you know much about Nancy Wake before you received the script?”

“No,” Elizabeth shook her head. “I guess, like most people my age group, everything I know from World War Two is what I picked up from the movies. Movies, I hasten to add, which are often totally inaccurate. And I’m really glad that we stuck to the truth with Nancy. Her life was exciting enough without adding in any unrealistic drama.”

“Talking of age groups, Elizabeth,” Ophi smirked. “Which age group would you be in?”

“I thought it wasn’t polite to ask a lady’s age,” the young actress raised her eyebrows.

“Only if the one asking is a man,” Ophi smirked. “The rule doesn’t extend to ladies.”

“Well,” Elizabeth chuckled. “I guess my age group would be the eighteen to thirty group.”

“Which tells me absolutely nothing,” the interviewer rolled her eyes in a theatrical manner. “So it’s good that I know you are about to celebrate your twenty third birthday, soon.”

“Yeah,” she nodded. “Though that’s not exactly a secret, is it? I mean, my full bio has been available on a dozen or so internet sites since I started acting.”

“You know,” Ophi leaned back into her seat and laced her hands together across her knees. “It seems as though you’ve been in the public eye since forever.”

“I hope you mean that in a good way,” the young woman’s eyes sparkled.

“Oh, the best,” Ophi nodded. “Absolutely! But what I was going to say was that you’ve only been in acting for, what? Two and a half years?”

“I know,” Elizabeth nodded, her face filled with amazement. “And the whole journey has just been so incredible.”

“You got your break when you appeared right out of nowhere to land a role in the daytime drama, ‘Santa Monica Boulevard’ as Danny’s new and mysterious girlfriend, Veronica. A role for which you were awarded an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Daytime Drama Series.”

“That’s right,” she nodded, her face turning a definite shade of pink. “I still can’t believe they gave me that award. But Veronica was such a fun character to play. And it didn’t matter that during my first few days of shooting, I was all shy and nervous, because Veronica was a very shy and nervous character.”

“And young, too,” Ophi agreed. “Even though you were already twenty, Veronica’s character was only sixteen.”

“I’m kind of lucky,” Elizabeth gave a serious nod. “Because of my size, I can play the role of someone younger.”

“Your fresh faced looks probably help too,” Ophi chuckled.

“Maybe,” Liz fidgeted in embarrassment.

“So,” Ophi leaned and lowered her voice to a near whisper, as if wanting to discuss something in confidence. “Just how did you land that role? There were one or two big names who had read for that part.”

“Oh, it was totally bizarre,” Elizabeth chuckled. “It was a case of being in the right place at the right time. I mean, I wasn’t even there to try for the part.”

“Oh?” Ophi raised an eyebrow.

“Uh huh,” she nodded. “It was a few weeks after I moved to L.A. right from college. You know, I just got married and…”

“Perhaps we can talk about your personal life, later,” Ophi interrupted her with a smile. “Why don’t you just skip to the part where you auditioned for the role.”

“The funny thing is, I didn’t really audition. Well, I did, but that was the last thing on my mind. You see, my best friend, Maria DeLuca…”

“The rock diva?”

“Right,” she gave a nod. “Well, Barry was in training for his first season with the Chargers and I was pretty much at a loose end. Maria was in LA because the studios wanted her to sing a song during an episode of Santa Monica, the one where Danny and Veronica meet at the dance… So anyway, because we hadn’t seen one another in ages, she asked if I wanted to go with her to the studios. Which coincidentally, was at the same time as the auditions. So we’re sitting in this waiting area, and as Maria and I have no secrets… you know, best friend stuff, I was having a bit of a moment and was venting about something or other. Anyway, just then, Martin…”

“That would be Martin Morrisy, the show’s producer?”

“Yes, that’s right. Martin appeared from around the corner and asked if I could rant like that if I was given a script. Well, I was still pretty steamed up and not knowing at that time who he was, said I could rant like that anytime, any way. He asked me to follow him, which we did and ended up in a small studio. Before I knew what was going on, I was reading through a scene with Trevor Stevens, you know, the actor who plays Danny. Everyone is telling me how I’m just perfect and two weeks later, I’m on set and filming my very first scene for ‘Santa Monica Boulevard’.”

“But that was only a six week contract, wasn’t it?” Ophi asked.

“Uh huh,” Elizabeth nodded. “But as the ratings started to climb: apparently, people liked Veronica, they asked me to extend for another six months. Then, half way through those last six months, I was approached by Touchstone films and asked if I would be interested in making a motion picture. Of course, I said yes. Which annoyed Martin a little because I think he was looking to extend my contract again but he was quite understanding.”

“So instead of killing your character off, as was intended from the start, you just walked out of Danny’s life, leaving him heartbroken.”

“He’s a big boy,” Elizabeth chuckled. “He’ll get over it.”

“Any chance of Veronica reappearing in Santa Monica?”

“I’ll not rule it out,” Elizabeth shook her head. “But with things going the way they are for me right now…”

“I understand that you were earning rather a lot of money for your second contract.”

“Well,” Elizabeth paused and then shrugged. “I did all right out of it.”

“So your first film, Happy Campers was a major blockbuster, grossing over… Well, let’s just say that the film made an obscene amount of money. You starred in a romantic comedy, based in Washington, which is your home state.”

“Yeah,” Elizabeth nodded. “I played Sophie, a young woman who gets in with the wrong crowd and after a series of bizarre events, thinks she’s a fugitive, and so finds herself on the run from the law, who isn’t looking for her at all. She hides out in this camp for kids, where she’s mistaken for a Camp Hostess who never turned up. Anyway, she meets this Park Ranger who teaches her about the wilds and between him and the kids, they teach her about herself. It’s sweet. We filmed on location in the Olympic National Forest. They flew my parents out so that they could watch the filming.”

“And now, your second film, ‘Nancy’ is due for release and who knows what the future holds, right?”

“Right,” Elizabeth giggled.

“Now, Elizabeth,” Ophi smiled. “A little birdie tells me that you have already signed up to play the lead in a Cal Langly production, with your co-star being none other than the gorgeous Kyle Valenti. Tell me what you think about playing opposite the man voted as being ‘The Hottest Guy in America’?”

“Kyle’s a great actor,” Elizabeth nodded, “and I’m sure it will be lots of fun working with him, but you seem to forget, Ophi…” Liz held up her left hand, the back facing the camera so it could see the rings. “I’m married.”

“That’s right,” Ophi laughed. “So you are. And to a veritable hunk of your own, right?”

“Right,” Elizabeth nodded emphatically.

“You married your college sweetheart, two months after he was selected as the first round draft pick for the San Diego Chargers after he entered the draft a year early. Linebacker, Barry Drake.” She turned to the camera. “Yes, that’s right. Elizabeth married the man who won the Heissman Trophy in 2006, during his last year at Washington State. In his first season, Barry was awarded the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year award. The man who set the league on fire during his second season but who tragically, suffered a severe knee injury during the Charger’s win in the Divisional Playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts and so missed out on the loss against the Pats in the Conference Championship. How’s his knee, Elizabeth?”

“It’s on the way to recovery,” Elizabeth nodded. “They start him on a special training program soon. He should be back, terrorizing the quarterbacks midway through the coming season. Hopefully in time to take the Chargers to the show.”

“How come you never took his name, Elizabeth? Why are you still Parker and not Drake?”

“I wanted to keep my public life separate from my private life,” Elizabeth shrugged. “We both needed to know who was who. At home, I’m Elizabeth Drake, wife and soul mate. Here with you, I’m Elizabeth Parker, aspiring actress.”

“More than aspiring, I would have to say. I’m hearing a rumor or two about Oscar nominations for your part in Nancy. Now, you live in a gorgeous house in the outskirts of San Diego. With his training… and playing and you always on set… and flying up to LA to attend awards and such… How do you find time for the two of you, anyway?”

“We manage,” Elizabeth gave a mysterious grin. “We manage just fine.”

“And what does Barry think of his wife being the most sought after young actress in Hollywood, not to mention the fact that she’s considered to be one of the hottest?”

“Oh, “ Liz nodded emphatically. “I have Barry’s complete and total support. One hundred percent.”

“You’ve been married for over two years. In fact, you celebrate your third anniversary in June. And in that time, you’ve seen a number of changes to your lifestyle. Not only are you now the idol of every guy’s fantasy, your husband is that of every woman’s. How do the two of you cope?”

“Easy,” Elizabeth shrugged. “We’re each other’s soul mates. Our trust in each other is absolute. No one else stands a chance.”

“Sorry, people,” Ophi laughed at the camera. “You heard the lady. Why torture yourself any longer? They’re just not available. And talking of available, that same little birdy tells me that your contract with Langly ties you into expanding your next film venture into a trilogy if it’s successful and an additional two more if Langley thinks there is potential. What can you tell us about it?”

There was a momentary darkening of Elizabeth’s eyes. She took a deep breath.

“The film we’re about to start shooting is based on the novel by William Reason. It’s about a young woman whose life is saved by a man who turns out to be an alien, who may or may not be out to conquer the planet. So we have this dilemma about how far a woman would go to protect someone to whom she owes her life, and is possibly falling in love with, yet protect the lives of everyone else from a potential alien threat.”

“And Kyle, of course, plays the alien.”

“Right.”

“Are you looking forward to it?”

“Absolutely,” Elizabeth nodded. “I guess because I’m still kind of new, it’s all still so exciting. Ask me again if I’m around in ten years.”

“If your first couple of years in the spotlight are anything to go by, then I’m sure you will be”

“That’s kind of you to say so,” Elizabeth blushed.

“As well as your success,” Ophi’s tone turned a little serious, kind of respectful, “you’ve also had your share of pain. A few months after you finished filming your first film, while it was in post production, your father tragically passed away.”

“Yes,” a sense of sorrow filled Elizabeth’s face. “He had cancer. Which is why I’m such a big supporter of the Cancer Research Institute. He never saw the film’s release.”

“You miss him.” It was a statement, not a question.

“Yeah,” Elizabeth nodded. “That was such a huge blow. I mean, my Dad has always been this huge presence in my life, you know? And my mom, she’s so sad all the time, now. They were each other’s soul mates.”

“And, of course, when we had Barry on the show, last year, he confided in us that the two of you were soul mates.”

“I’m just so glad that I’ve found mine,” Liz nodded.

“Well, Elizabeth,” Ophi leaned forward. “I wish you all the best for your future. Thank you very much for spending some time with us tonight.”

“It’s been a pleasure.”

“And we wish you all the best for your future. And who knows? Maybe the next time you come to talk with us, it will be as an Oscar winner.”

“I hope I get to talk to you before then,” Elizabeth laughed.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Elizabeth Parker.”

“Miss Parker! Miss Parker!”

“Elizabeth, over here! Over here!”

“Smile please! Smile, Elizabeth!”

“Look this way, this way, Miss Parker!”

“Can I have your autograph?”

“I love you Elizabeth!”

The crowds erupted the moment she stepped through the doors. Amid the crescendo of noise, Elizabeth Parker moved along the empty channel marked by the barriers and the security guards, to her waiting limo. A huge, bright smile lit up her face. Pausing to sign an autograph book here, a film guide there, a T-shirt, a poster… she bypassed the gross man who wanted her to sign his rather obese stomach – her smiling face illuminated by the couple of dozen flashing cameras of both the adoring fans and the desperate paparazzi. With a wide smile, a wave and a blown kiss, Elizabeth stepped into her waiting limo, the doorman waiting until her shapely legs were safely inside before he closed the door. Safely hidden behind the darkened glass, the young actress erupted into a rage of temper. She pulled her cell phone from her purse and pressed a speed dial, number 3, her manager.

“What the hell did she mean by that?” the young woman screamed down the phone.

Mean by what?” the voice on the phone was a little cagey.

“You know damn well what, Doug! I only agreed to one of Langly’s films! I said that I would consider a second or third ‘only’ if I believed that the fans would want them and only if I liked the script. Why did that woman tell me that I was ‘tied’?”

When he sent us the contracts, Langly said he wanted…

“I don’t care what Langly wanted. Why am I paying exorbitant legal fees if my lawyers are going to let me get screwed every time I sign a contract? I thought I was paying them to get what ‘I’ wanted?”

Elizabeth… baby…” Doug soothed. “You know how it is. Langly has a lot of clout. And your lawyer said…

“Then maybe it’s time I changed lawyers.”

You can’t do that!” Doug gasped. “He represents your husband, too, don’t forget.

“I don’t care that he represents Barry. It wasn’t Barry he screwed! Just whose side are you on, Doug? Or do I need to consider finding a new manager, too? Just because you represent Barry as well as me, don’t think that gives you any rights over me! It wasn’t you who got me my break. I came to you after I was offered that contract, remember?"

Now listen, Elizabeth. You need to…

“No! You listen to me!” she exploded. “You had better be handing me a shortlist of quality legal firms, first thing tomorrow morning, or you and me are parting ways. I don’t care how far back you and Barry go. This is about me. Understand?”

There was a moment of silence.

What do I tell him?

“I don’t care. Oh, hey! I know! Try the truth. Tell them I canned his ass because he was incompetent!”

She didn’t wait for an answer. She hung up on her manager and pressed another speed dial. This time, number 1.

Hey, Liz,” the voice soothed. “Rough evening?

“Hey, Maria,” she sounded more calm, but still sad. “You caught the show, huh?”

I did,” Maria informed her. “I take it you’re on your way over?

“You know me too well,” she nodded. “I thought I managed to hide it. Not from my best friend, huh? Get the ice cream out, Maria. I need some girl’s time. Unless you’re busy.”

I’m heading for the kitchen as we speak.

After hanging up with Maria, Elizabeth pressed the button to the limo’s intercom.

“Malibu please, Ben,” she released a heavy breath of air. “We’re going to Maria’s.”

“Yes, Miss Parker,” the chauffeur’s voice came through the speaker.

Last edited by WR on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 2

Post by WR »

Glad everyone is enjoying it.
Hmmm... Liz, a diva? Not in my universe. ;)
And as for me writing more M&L stories? I really don't think so, sorry.
But I am writing a story for another couple from a TV series. Maybe if I ever post it, I'll let you know.

On with the story.

Chapter 2

Thursday April 9th

“Gotta be around here, somewhere,” the dark haired driver of the open topped jeep muttered to himself as he frantically looked from the sheet of paper open across his steering wheel and up at the approaching road turnings.

Tall and fit, with rich, dark hair and green gold eyes, he wore faded denim jeans and an Epcot Center T-shirt. The harder he tried to smooth the map out over the steering wheel, the more the wind seemed to whip it out of shape again. He needed an extra set of hands. “Where the hell is that turning? If I’m not careful, I’m going to attract someone’s attention. Attention I probably don’t want.”

Ever since he had turned off of Highway 101 and into the luxurious estates of Malibu, he was pretty much like the proverbial sore thumb. Amid the sleek European sports cars, his jeep - battered, old, rusty and dusty and littered with the remains of too many drive-through meals, looked as out of place as he did. He almost looked like the opening credits for a comedy show, ‘The Malibu Hillbilly’. It couldn’t be that long before a police cruiser pulled him over to check up on him. Why couldn’t he see a freaking road name that was on his map? He had been up and down the Pacific Coast Highway three times already. Maybe it was further along?

“There!” his spirits leapt when he saw the street he had been hunting for, half buried in some overgrown shrubs.

Indicating left, he turned into the road and felt more comfortable now that he actually knew where he was. Comfort that fell away when he saw how much money he was surrounded by. If he realized every single asset that he possessed, which, admittedly wasn’t that much, he doubted he could afford even the cheapest of the cars that populated the driveways, sealed off from the road by large, wrought iron gates. The road ended in a T junction. Turn right, his map said. He complied.

“Holy… mother… of…”

He was rendered speechless. His car coasted to a halt, the engine sputtering and stalling because he had taken his foot off the gas. To his left, a cliff side fell away to miles of beautiful golden sandy beaches. To his right were the most expensive looking mansions he had ever seen. His mind, used to the suburban housing estates of Miami, refused to accept that anyone could live in places like these, not even his best friend. Each house looked like a small community could live there. Behind him, a horn blared. An expensive red car swerved past him, the inhabitants waving hands… and fingers at him. Shaking his head clear from the ‘awestruck tourist’ feeling, he restarted his engine and started to crawl along the road, looking for the numbers on the gates. At last, he found the one he was looking for, thankful that it was one of the more… modest ones. Pulling up in front of the gates, he stopped and stared. For ages.

A big house, his friend had told him. This was more than big. This was huge. A mansion. A freaking palace! Half of their hometown of Roswell could live in that one building alone. He fumbled in his pocket for his phone. Before he could make the call, however, the gates started to swing open. As he waited for the gates to open, a man appeared from behind some bushes and held a camera to his eye for a few seconds before moving away. He drove up the wide, sweeping driveway and parked his jeep by the four garage doors and turned off the engine.

“Hey, Max,” Maria DeLuca, the legendary rock diva smiled as she stepped out through the large, ornate front doors. “Did you really drive all the way from Miami?”

“Maria,” Max smiled back as he stepped from the jeep and made his way across the courtyard to greet her. “Yup. I drove. All the way, too.”

“Sure looks like it,” she nodded, noticing the condition of his jeep. “So you managed to find us, then,” she chuckled as they hugged one another.

“Apparently,” he smiled over her shoulder, his eyes glued to the huge house. “Uh… did someone just jump out of some bushes and take my picture?”

“Not just one picture,” Maria rolled her eyes. “Probably dozens. The perils of fame, I’m afraid. Anyone who ever visits gets their picture taken. If the police catch the photographers, they get moved on, or arrested, but there’s always another to take their place. Don’t worry about it, though. They’ll have a fit cause they don’t know who you are. We’ll probably be having an affair by tomorrow morning.”

“I could tell them I’m your pool boy,” he smirked.

“Already tried that,” Maria laughed. “With Michael. Didn’t work.”

“Speaking of whom…” he looked around. “Where is he?”

“Keeping an eye on the pool,” Maria started to laugh as she started to lead Max toward the house. “He says it’s a tough job but someone has to do it. Come on. How long can you stay?”

“Not too long,” he shook his head. “I have an interview in San Diego tomorrow morning and I’ll need to get away if I’m going to reach my hotel tonight.”

“Well, Michael’s glad that you decided to stop in and say ‘hi’. We both are. It’s been ages since we saw you.”

“My wedding, wasn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Maria opened the door and stepped into the cool interior. “Two years ago. So how is that going?”

“It’s going,” Max nodded as he looked around. He then sighed and started to shake his head. “Actually, no. It’s not going at all. Things are a little… uh… things have been a little tense. Wow. Look at all this stuff! You have an awesome house, Maria.”

“I have to spend my money on something,” Maria shrugged. “So. It’s not all roses in Debra’s garden, huh?”

“Not exactly,” he sighed, his shoulders slumping. “There hasn’t been for some time, now. Dandelions, perhaps. Anyway, that’s one of the reasons I dropped by today. If I get this job tomorrow, then that’s going to mean relocating. I’m going to be closer to you guys and I hope we get to hang out, again. And letting Michael get his ‘I told you so’ out of the way makes our next meeting easier.”

“Michael wouldn’t say that,” Maria shook her head. “Wait. Yeah, he would.”

“Isabel did,” Max shrugged. “Three or four times.”

“Come on,” Maria smiled at him, taking his hand. “The pool’s this way.”

“She just told me that she feels like there’s this big wall between us,” Max shrugged. “That I’ve only been paying her lip service. I’m holding something back.”

“Told you so,” Michael shrugged from his seat across the small table. “She pretty much nailed you, huh? I mean, how did you think it was going to go down, Max? We have this big secret, you know? And you’re keeping it from her… Even Isabel told Jesse.”

“Jesse was different,” Max shook his head. “He stumbled into your rescue plans and needed to know what he was getting involved in when he offered to help. I’m not sure Debra can handle the information. Not without some kind of… emergency to put it all into perspective.”

“Then why the fuck did you even start dating her?”

“How did you find out about this job, anyway?” Maria rescued Max from his interrogation.

“I uh… I was in San Diego last weekend. Just to take a look around,” he stammered nervously. “You know, just for a look see. I dropped my resumes at a couple of law offices.”

“You were close by and didn’t call?” Michael seemed annoyed.

“Sorry,” he apologized. “I needed the trip to be about me and not us.”

“Doesn’t matter anyway,” Maria shook her head. “Last weekend we were in New York, finalizing the details for the new video release. And we spent the rest of the weekend on photo calls throughout the city.”

“Right,” Michael nodded. “So you would have been on your own, anyway, Max. So why did you choose San Diego to relocate to. Why not LA? ”

“I just did,” Max shrugged.

“So, if you get this job…” Maria murmured softly. “Will Debra move out with you? Will this be like a fresh start for the two of you? Maybe it would work if you told her.”

“She gave me this,” Max reached into his pocket and produced a worn, folded sheet of paper. He tossed it onto the table. “Two weeks ago. It’s what made me decide to relocate in the first place.”

Maria and Michael just stared at it.

“Is it…?” Michael knew that he really didn’t have to ask.

“She wants a divorce,” Max nodded. “She’s been seeing someone else. For the last six months.”

“Oh, Max,” Maria sighed.

“I told you so,” Michael shrugged. “Wait. That’s why you want to move to San Diego, isn’t it? It’s as far away from Debra as you can get.”

“One reason,” Max admitted.

“Why did you even marry her in the first place?” Maria asked. “I mean, come on, Max. Even I knew that your weren’t truly in love with her.”

“It seemed the right thing to do,” Max looked at his friend. “Isabel was married. You and Michael moved in together. I guess I just wanted something normal, too. You know. After the…”

“The white room,” Michael murmured. Even Maria shivered, her eyes going dark. “You never really got over that.”

Max nodded.

“I just wanted… normal,” he whispered.

“Well, Debra wasn’t it,” Maria shook her head. “Haven’t you ever met anyone you felt… I don’t know…”

“Connected,” Michael offered.

“Yes,” Maria nodded. “Connected.”

“Once,” Max shrugged. “In college. But she was already involved with someone else and…”

“Saint freaking Max,” Michael shook his head. “Never fights for what he wants. Always lets everyone else have what they want, first.”

“On the bright side,” Maria beamed, “you can spend your time looking for your soul mate. She’s out there, Max.”

“Right,” Max chuckled. “First, I need to find a job. And then a house.”

“You’re welcome to stay with us,” Michael waved a hand at the house.

“Thanks,” Max nodded. “But I’d feel like I was in the way, even if I wasn’t. Anyway, I have a booking at the Motel 6 in La Mesa for a week.”

“You’re a shoe-in for that job tomorrow, Max,” Maria waved a dismissive hand. She was always the optimist. “And then we can help you find your own place. I have a few contacts in San Diego. When you get the job offer, how long will it take you to move all your stuff out?”

“It’s all in the jeep,” Max nodded in the direction of the garages. “I know how it goes. Debra will stiff me for everything, so I’m not even going to try to fight. I’m, uh… not going back. So I packed everything of mine I knew she wouldn’t want.”

“Which consists of…?” Maria raised an eyebrow.

“My clothes,” Max nodded. “That’s it, really. Just my clothes. I uh, bought myself a new suitcase, though.”

“Even Debra takes what she wants, first,” Michael rolled his eyes. “Grow a pair, Maxwell. It is time, my friend, that you stopped running.”

“Oh, Max,” Maria shook her head and gave another sigh.

Thursday April 9th

With a slightly bored look to her face, the receptionist watched the revolving doors swing around to reveal a well dressed, middle aged man with a slight paunch. His forehead, exposed by a receding dark hairline glistened with perspiration. He clutched his briefcase to his chest as though they held priceless jewels. Behind him, a younger, petite woman with platinum blonde hair and wearing dark sunglasses appeared. Together, they approached the desk. She looked the blonde up and down with distaste, considering her to be as fake as those perky boobs she was sporting.

“Welcome to Whitman and Rogers,” the receptionist’s singsong voice smiled in greeting. “How can I help you?”

“We have an appointment with Mr. Whitman and Mr. Rogers,” the man tilted his head as if to try to read the receptionists appointment book. “Two o’clock. Mr. and Mrs. M. Maus.”

The receptionist cast a doubtful eye at her book, but nodded with surprise when she saw that there was indeed an appointment, with both partners for Mr. and Mrs. M. Maus.

“If you make your way down the hall,” she pointed along the corridor behind her, “to meeting room number two on the left, I’ll call Mr. Whitman and Mr. Rogers and let them know you’re here.”

“Thank you,” Mr. Maus nodded. He extended his hand to Mrs. Maus who pointedly refused it. “Come, my dear.”

‘Divorce,’ the receptionist watched them walk toward the meeting room as she pressed the numbers on her phone. ‘A fake wife and she’s gonna take him to the cleaners.’

“I still think you’re making a big mistake,” Mr. Maus told the blonde as she sat down on one side of the long table. “I really don’t think anyone can look after you better than Aldus.”

“That’s my decision to make, isn’t it?” the blonde looked over the top of her dark glasses, her brown eyes flashing dangerously. “That man screwed up.”

“It was a simple mistake, Elizabeth,” Mr. Maus sat down next to her and placed the case in front of him.

“When we first met with him, Doug,” Elizabeth looked up at the ceiling. “You know, when I was given my first contract. What where the two things that I told him was most important to me?”

“Elizabeth…”

“What did I tell him?”

“No nudity,” he sighed. “And no sequels unless you see the script in advance.”

“Right,” a disguised Elizabeth Parker nodded. “So how is it that Mr. Aldus managed to miss the pertinent fact that Langly wanted me to do not just one sequel, but possibly four of them? Four, Doug,” she held up four fingers, her thumb folded against her palm. “Count ‘em.”

“Is it so bad?” he shook his head. “Langly has a reputation for making classic films.”

“I don’t doubt that,” she shook her head. “But he’s never made one sequel before, let alone... So who knows how that’s going to turn out?”

“Barry won’t like it,” Doug released the catches to the case. “Aldus has always done a good job for him. He represents more than half the team.”

“If I was playing football,” Elizabeth’s voice was low, “I’m sure Aldus would do a good job for me, too. One contract every couple of years? But guess what? I’m not playing football.”

“I still think you’re making a big mistake,” he grumbled. “I mean, the damage is done, now. And what message is it going to send out when people discover that you changed your lawyers?”

“I don’t know,” she shook her head, her voice laced with sarcasm. “Maybe that I needed a new one?”

The door opened and a short, squat man walked in. He was dressed immaculately in a light colored business suit. Both Doug and Elizabeth stood up to shake the man’s hand.

“Hello Mr. Maus. Mrs. Maus,” he greeted them, indicating that they should sit. “I’m Stuart Rogers. Mr. Whitman should be joining us shortly. Can I get you anything? Tea? Coffee? Mineral water?”

“No thank you,” Mrs. Maus surprised him by taking control. “We’re fine.”

“So how is it we can help you?”

“First of all, Mr. Rogers,” Elizabeth removed her glasses and started to pull some bobby pins from her wig. “I apologize for the subterfuge, but this is kind of a delicate matter right now. And discretion is kind of important for the time being. You see, I’m having a few problems with my current lawyer. He missed some pertinent clauses in a contract that I’m less than happy with. Anyway… I’m considering changing to someone else. You are one of the couple of firms that have come highly recommended and we’re checking them all out.”

“Who exactly are you?” Stuart Rogers narrowed his eyes as the woman pulled the blonde wig away.

“Liz?” someone gasped from the doorway. “Elizabeth Parker?”

“Alex!” Liz squealed, leaping from her seat and rushed to the tall, slim young man who had just entered the door. “Oh my god! Alex Whitman!”

They met in a tight hug.

“I never even connected the name,” she shook her head against his chest. “And I knew you went into Law.”

“You two know each other?” Stuart was blinking.

His best friend and partner was hugging Elizabeth Parker. ‘The’ Elizabeth Parker.

“We sure do,” Liz nodded, breaking away from Alex. “We grew up together. Hey! Have you been working out?”

She gave his biceps a squeeze.

“Yeah, I have been working out and yes we sure did grow up together,” Alex nodded, looking from Liz to his partner with a smile like a cat who caught the canary. “You know I did. I’ve told you often enough.”

“I thought your stories were just your usual bullshi…,” he paused. “Uh… tall stories.”

“I asked this girl out on a date when we were thirteen years old,” Alex beamed. “She turned me down, though. She looked all cute and cuddly in her blue and white cheerleader outfit. So I asked her out. She said no.”

“And you asked again when I was fourteen,” Liz nodded, smiling. “And fifteen. When we were sixteen. And seventeen.”

“Eighteen, too,” Alex nodded. “And then finally when you turned nineteen. Only by then you were engaged to some oversized mountain of flesh. I knew I should never have let you go to a different college to me.”

“Alex went to Harvard,” she turned to look at Doug. “While I stayed in Washington.”

“You married him, so I hear,” Alex smiled. “Dropped out of college, too.”

“That’s right,” Liz smiled. “So how come you never made it to our wedding?”

“I was out of the country,” Alex frowned. “I mean, it was kinda sudden, wasn’t it? I flew out of the country on Sunday, flew back in a week later to find an invitation to your wedding that was held the previous day.”

“Barry wanted to get married before we moved out here. So as soon as he got drafted, he proposed. I dropped out, got married and we moved to San Diego. And you’ve been here all this time?” Liz continued. “How come you never called?”

“Probably,” Alex smirked, “because you’re not listed in the phone book. How is Barry, by the way?”

“Apart from his knee, you mean?” she raised her eyebrows.

“Yeah,” Alex nodded, sitting down. “I heard about that. I’m so sorry.”

“He’ll be fine,” Liz waved her hand in the air. “Don’t worry. He’s fine.”

“And look at you,” he sat back and shook his head. “Elizabeth Parker, major Hollywood star. As beautiful as you ever were. More, even. So what brings you down to the cheap seats?”

“Alex,” Liz adjusted herself, putting on her game face. “I’m firing my current lawyer. I want you guys to represent me.”

Last edited by WR on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 3

Post by WR »

Hi all,
Anopther Friday night and another update. So easy when you have so many chapters already written ;).

mary mary - yes, it must be difficult not to drop a hint of whats to come ;)
keepsmiling 7 - more details about Max and why he married will emerge.
begonia9508 - Liz does seem to be trying too hard, doesn't she?
MP - I don't actually go into details about their pasts. assume it all went down kind of like the show, but without Liz, Kyle and Alex.

Now, on with the story...

Chapter 3

Thursday April 9th

“How about we go get a drink?” Doug Shellow, Elizabeth Parker’s manager suggested. “Maybe we could get some dinner. There’s a hotel right around the corner with a terrific restaurant.”

Liz gave him a level glare.

“How about we don’t,” she shook her head.

“Aw, come on, Elizabeth,” he coaxed, reaching his hand out for hers. “What could be more normal than a manager and his client having dinner?”

“Nothing,” she shook her head, folding her arms in front of her. “Unless the client knows that the manager won’t be satisfied with just dinner and try to get her up to his room. Again."

“I told you how that was a one time deal,” he whined. “I just misread the signals is all. I thought you were lonely. Things between you and Barry did seem a little…”

“Look, Doug,” Liz turned to face him. “Whatever problems you are imagining between Barry and me are just that. In your imagination. And if there were problems, me having meaningless sex with my manager is not going to fix them. It would make things worse. You and me? Not ever going to happen so get over it.”

“But…”

“See you, Doug,” Liz shook her head and stepped into the door that her chauffeur had held open for her.

“Later, Elizabeth,” Doug stood at the side of the road and watched the small, white limo drive away. “Frigid bitch,” he mumbled. “One day…”

He turned away as the limo vanished around a corner and headed toward his own car.

“One day, quite soon.”

Thursday April 9th

As limousines go, especially in California, this was considered a small one. Elizabeth Parker, or ‘Liz’ to her closest friends, never forgot her roots and although she understood the need for a limo and chauffeur, she tried hard not to be too ostentatious. Hers was a simple yet elegant white Lincoln six-seater town car. Her chauffeur, Ben Kozchinski, who doubled up as handyman and when needed, security guard, lived in a small annex to the house that Liz and Barry shared. His wife of ten years, Amanda was employed as Liz’s housekeeper. To Liz, this was the maximum level of comfort she wished to indulge in.

She had grown up in Seattle, Washington, an honor student and high school valedictorian. Her parents ran a small diner on a busy strip mall. Always an attractive, if petite brunette, she joined not only the academic clubs like science, but she also was a member of the Franklin High School Cheerleading squad. Although she dated, usually jocks because of her cheerleading affiliation, she was considered to be a good girl. Everyone knew that Liz would not put out, just because the other girls did. Liz believed in soul mates for life, and was waiting. Throughout High School, the ring tone on her cell phone was Sense Field’s ‘Save Yourself’.

After graduating, she attended Washington State where she met and started to date linebacker, Barry Drake. When he entered the draft a year early and was picked up by the San Diego Chargers, he proposed to Liz immediately. She said yes and at the end of that academic year, dropped out of college to move with him to San Diego. Her plan was to complete her degree at a community college. They were married before Barry joined his new team for training. Around the beginning of Barry’s first season, Liz got her big break, even though she wasn’t looking for one. She made her first appearance in ‘Santa Monica Boulevard’. The rest, as they say, was history.

Ben finally turned the car into the driveway that led to her rather modest house on the edge of the Fairbanks Ranch Country Club, out in Rancho Santa Fe, about fifteen miles north of San Diego. ‘Modest’ however, was a comparative term.

The gates closed behind her and Ben pulled the limo up by the front door.

“Thanks, Ben,” she nodded. “I don’t think I’ll need you again today. I’ll call if I do.”

“Okay, Miss Parker,” he nodded, watching her walk to her front door before he pulled away driving to the enclosed annex just inside the main gate.

“I’m home!” Liz called out as she closed the door behind her.

The house - mansion was more like it - was a sprawling piece of mixed architecture. Set in over twenty thousand feet of lawns, surrounded by a high wall and swaying palm trees, the house had been expanded, almost every time it changed hands. As a result, there was no one style, rather a hotchpotch of different personalities. With six bedrooms, eight bathrooms, a room full of arcade games, pool tables and pinball machines, a fully equipped gym, a living room, a dining room, a study, which Liz used and a large outdoor hot tub next to the swimming pool, it was Barry’s ideal of the perfect home. In spite of its’ patchwork looks, Liz did have to admit that it felt comfortable. Barry said that he got it from an ex-Charger who had left on free agency and moved to an east coast team.

There was no reply to her call, which didn’t particularly surprise Liz in any way. Her low heels clicked on the cool, wooden floor as she walked past the Charger blue pillars each with a 3D bas relief San Diego Charger icon, complete with lightening bolts – a recent addition - and into the sumptuous living room. No one was sitting in the luxurious ‘U’ shaped sofa in front of the huge LED television hanging on the wall. She made her way to what should have been another reception room, but had long ago been converted to a private gym, complete with heavy weights and machines.

Laying back on one of the machines, his muscled arms pumping a ridiculous amount of weight, her husband, Barry Drake was working out along with two of his team members. He kept his dark hair shorn close to his head, barely a few millimeters long. Standing, he would have been a full twelve inches taller than Liz who measured only five foot three. Heavily muscled, he easily weighed two hundred and thirty five pounds. The man would dwarf his wife. The gray workout shirt he wore was damp with sweat.

“Hey, Barry,” she smiled. “Hey, guys. How are you all?”

“Hi, Liz,” he smiled back, sitting up from his bench pressing. “Yup, going great. Knees’s working out just fine.”

Barry’s knee had totally collapsed during the last quarter of his last game, and so far, he had not responded well to the numerous attempts at corrective, keyhole surgery. The team doctors, however, remained hopeful that they could fix this problem, as long as Barry fixed his ‘other’ problem. His was a talent too valuable to lose.

“Well, that’s good,” she frowned. “But don’t over do it, yeah? You know what the doctor said.”

“Damn doctor doesn’t need to get fit for the new season,” Barry growled.

“Just be careful,” she turned to go.

“Hey!” he called. “No kiss?”

“Sorry,” Liz rolled her eyes and made her way to her husband.

She didn’t have to lean down very far for her lips to reach his but as she leaned in to kiss him, one of his arms wrapped around her shoulders, holding her there, while his other arm swept under her dress, his huge hand grabbing her backside and exposing her to his friends.

“Barry,” she managed to squeal, pulling herself free. “What is wrong with you?”

She cast an uncertain glance at his two friends who both possessed looks that could only be described as lust. While Liz was considered to be good looking, she was no more so than dozens of any other hot looking girls available. During her teens, she had been considered a little flat, always looking at her friends a little enviously. She had filled out, however, during her college years. She wasn’t stacked, but she filled her brassieres. Now, she was considered a total babe. So not only was she hot, she was also a Hollywood starlet, which made her all the more attractive to Barry’s teammates. Barry was proving a point. He could have her any time he wanted. His reply to her questions was a leery grin.

“Grow up!” she spat as she stormed from the makeshift gymnasium.

Thursday April 9th

“Sorry about that, babe,” Barry entered the kitchen to find Liz sipping an iced tea while she flipped through Variety.

“So you should be,” she didn’t even look up.

She still sounded angry.

“I was just showing off,” he shrugged. “The guys have been giving me a hard time… you know, about missing the start of the season. You know how much playing football means to me.”

“I do,” she nodded. “But, Barry, you can’t humiliate me like that. I’m supposed to be your partner. Not your property.”

“The other guy’s wives don’t mind them fooling around a bit in front of their buddies. Some find it a turn on.”

“And if the other guys wives screwed around… would you want me to?”

“What?” he gasped. “No! No way!”

“Right,” she returned to her magazine. “Just remember that.”

There was a moment of silence.

“So… I spoke to Doug, earlier,” he went to the large refrigerator and took out a yogurt drink.

“Oh?” Liz didn’t look up. She doubted that this would be good.

“He says you’re thinking about dropping Dennis Aldus for some smarmy suit in the city you used to go to school with.”

“Aldus is a moron who wouldn’t know a bad clause in a contract if it jumped out and bit him in the ass,” Liz growled.

“Aldus is a great lawyer,” Barry sat on a stool across from Liz. “Half the guys on the team use him. That’s why I do. What’s it going to say to the guys if I let you drop him.”

“’Let’ me drop him?” Liz looked up. “Look, Barry. I only used Aldus because I needed a lawyer quickly and he was the only one I knew, because he was the one you use. But that doesn’t make him right for me.”

“You can’t do this, Liz. You can’t keep doing these things behind my back. I didn’t even want you to go into acting anyway! And now you are, you are not going to drop Aldus just ‘cause you think it’s a good idea… and don’t even think about dropping Doug!”

“If I think that Aldus or Doug are bad for my career, then I will drop them,” Liz spoke in a dangerous whisper. “Maria says that a bad lawy…”

“Maria!” he spat. “That fucking slut. She’s probably doped up on crack most of the time. I don’t want you hanging out with her any more. In fact, Liz I’ve been meaning to talk to you about this. With me getting back onto the team soon, I think it would be best for all concerned if you retired from acting. Now.”

Liz’s face gave nothing away. She studied her husband for a few moments.

“Don’t feed me this bullshit, Barry,” she spoke calmly. “This is me. Your wife. I know that your knee injury isn’t the only reason why you are not on the team, okay? Remember that little incident with the steroids and you forgetting about your routine test? So remember that I know that not only does your knee have to be fixed, you have to be free of any drugs.”

“Well, that ain’t gonna be a problem, then,” he shook his head. “‘Cause I haven’t taken any steroids since that incident. And it was only that one time to try and fix my knee!”

Liz decided to bite her tongue.

“I am not giving up acting,” she glared at him. “What else am I going to do while you’re away training or playing? And as for Maria… I don’t belittle your friends, please extend me the same courtesy. She’s my friend. It’s going to stay that way. Go take a shower. You’re starting to stink up my kitchen.”

“Huh,” he grunted, getting up to leave. “CSI New York is on in a minute, anyway.”

Barry loved CSI.

Thursday April 9th

Liz lay on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Beside her, Barry had just climbed into bed, pulling the sheets over him.

“Sorry about earlier, Babe,” his hand reached out and pressed against her stomach. “You have to remember that I come from a household that believes a man is in charge. My Mom never worked. My sisters don’t work. And I can’t think of a single guy on the team whose wife works. And everyone listened to Dad.”

“I’m not your mom,” Liz shook her head on the pillow. “And I’m not your sisters. And I’m not the wife of any other guys on your team. I’m me. And I have already given up one career for you. Don’t ask me to give up another.”

His hand slipped over her breast, which he started to squeeze.

“Besides, it’s not work, Barry,” she shook her head in the dark. “It’s fun. It’s like when we were kids and we played dress up. Except that I get paid tons of money to do it.”

Barry rolled over and placed his other hand over her other breast; he was now squeezing them both, like he was trying to extract juice from a couple of oranges on some juicers.

“I know,” he nodded. “We’ve had our fight and now comes the best bit. Making up. It’s been ages since we last did this, Babe. And I got me an erection with your name on it.”

“Oh,” Liz closed her eyes and started to breath deeply, responding to his touches.

Encouraged by this, Barry squeezed harder for a few moments before one of his hands left the breast and went to her thighs. Liz opened up for him as his fingers dove in to find her core.”

“You still having problems, Babe?” he frowned when he found her dry.

“I’m sorry,” she sighed. “Wait a minute.”

Liz produced a tube of lubricant and squeezed a generous dollop onto her hand. She reached beneath her nightdress and applied the lubricant to herself.

“The doctor says it’s stress,” she pulled her nightdress up and laid back. “It has been rather stressful around here, lately. You know, work… your injury… my dad dying. The doctor says I’ll be back to normal soon. Don’t forget your condom.”

“Right,” Barry rolled the condom onto his erection and then quickly moved on top of her. He started to grunt as he thrust himself against her. His hips rocked for a few moments before he collapsed with a grunt of frustration.

“Damn it!” he swore. “No wonder we’re having problems. Condoms and fucking lubrication just to get some? It’s totally killed the mood. It’s gone, now!”

“Sorry,” she whispered, pulling her nightdress lower. “I can’t help it that I don’t get enough natural lubrication.”

“And why do I still have to use a fucking condom?”

“Because I don’t want to get pregnant yet.”

“Well, I can’t see that being such a bad idea.”

“Maybe if I…” she slid her small hand over his soft appendage, stroking it, trying to coax it back into life.

“Maybe, you know, if you go down on it…” Barry suggested. “The other guy’s wives do it all the time.”

“Is that what you think of me?” Liz looked up with her eyebrows raised. “Do you want me to do what the other guys’ wives do? ‘Cause I know for a fact that at least three of them are having affairs.”

“What?” his face screwed up. “No! No, I…”

“Maybe you’re trying too hard,” Liz offered. “You know, the doctor said…”

“You know what,” he grunted, pushing her hands away. “Forget it. Just my luck, I pick the frigid groupie.”

He rolled over onto his side, facing away from his wife. Liz lifted her head and looked up at him. She quietly slid from her bed allowing her nightdress to fall into place and walked from the bedroom.

“Now where you going?” Barry demanded.

“Another room,” her cold voice hissed. “This frigid groupie wouldn’t want the hot shot sports stud to catch pneumonia.”

“Liz!” he called out, his was of apology. “Liz! Don’t be like that! Damn it, woman.”

She made her way to one of the guestrooms at the other end of the house. Walking in to the en-suite bathroom, she turned on the shower. Allowing the night dress to fall from her shoulder, she stepped under the hot spray.

Until she had dropped out of college, Liz was on course to get her degree in chemical biology. During treatment for his knee, a routine urine test had uncovered the fact that Barry had been taking steroids. He claimed that he was trying to speed up his recovery, that he hadn’t really thought about the implications. They had decided to give him the benefit of the doubt but warned him that any further infractions would result in them informing the NFL commissioning body. Barry had promised both the team doctor and Liz that it had been a one time only thing; that he would never take them again.

Worried about his long-term health, Liz had looked up the side effects that steroid abuse could have. What she found had shocked her to the core.

Erectile Dysfunction.

Impotence.

Liz had made Barry wait until their wedding night before they had indulged in any intimacy. He had been completely okay with that, only showing his frustrations on very few occasions. Although she had led him to believe that she was a virgin - a little white lie because the truth was too painful to her - she had known that the erection he had on their wedding night was supposed to be much harder than that. Foreplay to Barry had been four minutes of groping her breasts, pushing his fingers inside of her and then trying to get whatever erection he had attained inside her. He had hardly been able to penetrate her at all and neither did he last very long.

In fact, during the three years of marriage, Liz could count on both hands the number of times he had been hard enough to penetrate her to any degree. She wondered if Barry thought that she was too naïve to know that something was wrong. That she wouldn’t know that this was not normal.

What she did know, however, was that you did not get side effects like those unless you had been taking steroids for a long, long time. It wasn’t that he suffered from a lack of desire. Far from it. He would try to make love to her almost every night, always failing miserably to gain an erection. Even Viagra had been a disaster, making him more moody and a little frightening as his anger and his frustration grew.

Until that day, she had assumed Barry simply had some medical problem. The kind of problem that fit, supposedly virile men like him did not want to talk about. As the situation was not improving any, a fact that she knew should be the case once the steroids were cleared from the bloodstream, she could only assume that he had broken his promise to her and was still taking them.

Liz had never cheated on him. Something she had no intention on doing, ever, in spite of the way things were between them now. Because of who she was; because of her status, there was never a shortage of offers or opportunities. Men were always coming on to her. Always. But it was just not part of her make up to do something so… cheap, so meaningless. But it was becoming harder and harder to remain satisfied with her life, especially when she came to the attention of so many men, all blatant with their desire for her. Apart from that one drunken night, all those years ago, the only time that she ever had her own orgasm was with her own fingers, in the shower, like now. But Liz had been raised a Catholic. And good Catholic girls stood by their husbands and didn’t cheat on them. Even good Catholic girls who took the pill.

She hated what their relationship had become. She hated that she couldn’t have the life that her friends had. She hated that she had to fake any kind of arousal around him. And she hated that she didn’t have the guts to do anything about it.

As the hot water fell on to her skin, cleansing her, she could hear a little Maria in a red devil’s suit standing on her shoulder. ‘You need to get yourself laid by a real man.’ Liz started to cry, her tears mingling with the shower spray.

“Why wasn’t I good enough for you?” she looked upwards and pleaded in a dejected voice.

Monday April 13th

“Tell me a little about yourself,” the tall, slim man in the immaculate suit leaned back in his large executive chair and watched Max across the table. The name plate in front of him read Alexander Whitman. “Who is ‘Max Evans’?”

“Who is Max Evans?” Max smiled, giving a shake of his head.

Well, Max Evans is an Alien. A hybrid, actually; a human body and human DNA mixed with the essence of an alien King – a dead alien King - whose throne was usurped because he was trying too hard to be a good king and in the end was a weak one. Max Evans grew up in Roswell, New Mexico hiding behind trees, afraid to show himself to anyone. Hiding in plain sight, they call it. Afraid to let people in, mainly for their own safety, Max Evans became a loner. A loner with sometimes frightening powers that come from his human brain advanced by a thousand years worth of evolution.

Protective of his friend and sister, both companions from his home planet, the three of them grew up terrified that someone might discover their secret. A secret that was eventually discovered when Maria DeLuca, a girl that his best friend held a secret crush for, was knocked down by a drunk driver. She would have died before the ambulance arrived. Surrendering to his friend’s desperate pleas, Max Evans healed the young lady, saving her life and so providing evidence to those interested that there were, in fact, aliens among us.

In fact, that one action eventually lead to Max Evans being captured and taken to an FBI ‘Special Unit’ White room, where even today, no one knows the full horror to which he had been subjected. Helped by Jesse, a resourceful collegiate student who had been pursuing Max Evans’ sister, Isabel for months, the four of them managed to rescue Max and destroy the base in which the white room was hidden. Until that time, Jesse had assumed that Max was merely involved in some major criminal activity.

After the rescue, however, they could not hide the truth from him. Jesse became one of the ‘I know an Alien’ club, and knowing that secret, Isabel finally opened up to him. They were married a year later, just after they managed to fight off a small army of aliens who constantly shed their skin. At the same time that was happening, a fourth hybrid alien had appeared on the scene, trying to persuade them all that she was Max Evans’ bride from a previous life and they all had to go home. Now THAT had not been a fun experience, either.

Max Evans has been to hell and back, getting rid of hostile enemy aliens, and throwing the Special Unit of the FBI so off track that they were eventually disbanded. Max Evans did everything in his power to allow their little group to relax and lead some kind of life, even if it was just a little less than normal.

Max Evans is a man destined to be alone because he always thinks of other’s first, never himself. But Max Evans desperately wants to be normal.

Max Evans is also a little desperate because so far, every interview he has attended has turned him down because he is ot quite what they are looking for. Max Evans needs a job soon or he might have to head back home with his tail… if hybrid aliens had tails – between his legs. In fact, Max Evans needs ‘THIS’ job.

Those were his thoughts. He said, however, the following:

“I grew up in Roswell, New Mexico with my sister, and my adoptive parents. It was inevitable, I suppose, that I became a lawyer seeing as both my parents are lawyers. My sister is, uh, a lawyer, too. At high school, I was kind of in the background. I mean, I was an active member of the science club and the debate team, but I never ran for president or anything. I guess I just liked being behind the scenes. After high school, I went to the University of Miami School of Law where I earned my degree. I started to intern for Dennison and Maltravers so it was almost inevitable that I joined them on a permanent basis when I graduated Law School, which was two years ago. The problem is, I find that I’m a big fish in a small pond. There’s nowhere to go with Dennison and Maltravers so I’m kind of stuck. I want to become a small fish in a bigger pond so that I can start to grow again.”

“I see,” Alex nodded. “I must say, Max, your resume is exceptional. You clearly have the experience we need. But can you handle the clientele we have? I mean, how do you think you would handle it if you had to attend a lavish party and a Hollywood star was there?”

“Uh,” Max grinned. “Yes. I believe that I might handle it rather well.”

“So you wouldn’t get all star struck?”

“They’re just people with more money than me,” Max shrugged. “I wouldn’t treat them any differently. Unless, of course, they were my client. Then I would treat them accordingly. But star struck? Not me.”

“Some of these people are pretty powerful, Max,” the interviewer narrowed his eyes.

“There are all kinds of power,” Max gave a shrug.

“What about secrets? As a lawyer, I know you understand all about client-attorney confidentiality. But suppose you discovered something about someone who was not a client of ours? Something they might not want to get out?”

“I think,” Max sat back, “that you might be surprised at just how good I am at keeping secrets. I understand how knowledge of someone else’s secret can be dangerous. So I don’t care who they are, as long as that secret is no threat, that no one is in danger because of that secret, then it will stay just that. A secret.”

“So if we were to represent a famous star or two, you could handle it if you came into contact with them?”

“That won’t be a problem,” Max shook his head.

“What we’re looking for, Max,” Alex leaned forward and flipped through the resume in front of him, “is someone to take up the slack. We’re about to take over representation of someone famous. It’s a role that’s going to need my full attention, especially as we plan to look at expanding by representing more and more famous clients. I need to employ someone to take care of the clients that I can no longer see. In short, Max… I need a small fish to swim with our small clients, which will let the big fish swim with the big clients.”

“I think I could handle that, Mr. Whitman,” Max smiled. “I’ve always enjoyed fishing, too.”

“Call me Alex,” he extended his hand. “Welcome aboard, Max Evans.”

Last edited by WR on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 4

Post by WR »

keepsmiling7 - yes, it seems that Daug has more than 'managing' on his mind.
mary mary - I thibnk technically, Liz would be getting rid of two pronlems, ;)
begonia9508 - I don;t think Liz needs to worry aboyt Barry's indidelity ;)
Michelle in LA- Did you move from Yonkers?? I think Barry is going to have a problem or two cheating just now ;) Yes, Liz is messed up and her reason for 'Barry' becomes clear later. The only thing I really know about papparazzi is what I hear and read about. Never seen it or experienced it. So please forgive any lapses in accuracy regarding them. It;s not central to the plot though I do use them to move it along.

Chapter 4

Monday April 13th

“What have we got?” Detective Roy Montoya flashed his badge to a uniformed policeman as he swept under the yellow Crime Scene tape. Behind him, his partner, Carl Gartner showed his own badge but chose to step over the banner. Further up the alley, the body of a woman with shoulder length, ginger hair was huddled behind a trash can, pressed up against the wall. She was clearly dead, a series of red gashes cut into her chest and her neck sliced from ear to ear. Someone was marking out white tape around the body while a photographer was taking a few last photographs. A forensic team was already searching the surrounding area.

“Female, Caucasian,” a plain-clothes officer read from a notepad. “Approximately twenty years of age. Cause of death… well, undetermined as yet. Any one of the seven stab wounds could have killed her. If they didn’t then the sliced throat would have. Maybe she just bled to death.”

“Seven?” Montoya blinked. It was way too early in the day for this. He hadn’t even had breakfast yet. “A frenzied attack?”

“No,” the other man shook his head. “Anything but. It appears to have been a rather controlled attack. Almost deliberate.”

“Any evidence of sexual assault?”

“We don’t know, yet,” he shrugged, “No visible evidence of intercourse. Could have worn a condom. She doesn’t show any visible signs of being raped. But it’s too early to tell.”

“Any ID on her?” Gartner asked, looking up from the corpse.

“None,” the officer shook his head. “Some tramp found her there a while ago. Naked. No jewelry, nothing. Apparently, she has a tattoo on her back, but we can’t move the body until CSI finish. Should be another half hour or so.”

“Any guess as to the time of death?” Montoya scribbled some notes in his own book.

“Some time late last night would be my guess. But CSI should be able to give you a better time slot when they perform the autopsy. Something else you should know. This wasn’t the murder scene.”

“No?” Gartner frowned, scanning for some physical evidence.

“No,” a shake of the head. “No blood. Seems she was murdered somewhere else and dumped here.”

“Ok,” Montoya nodded. “Keep me informed, ah?”

Tuesday April 14th

“We start shooting in a couple of weeks,” Liz told her best friend, Maria as they lay on loungers, soaking up the sun.

Maria had paid Liz a visit and they were sitting on her patio, next to the pool. They both wore shorts and cropped tops, their tanned skin glistened in the sunlight. Although warm, it wasn’t warm enough for bikinis. Not for another couple of weeks.

“Cool,” Maria nodded. “Where you going? Anywhere exotic?”

“Oh, yeah,” Liz laughed. “Knowing Langly, it wouldn’t surprise me if most of the filming will take place in Covina. And for the desert scenes, it’s the good old Vazquez rocks.”

“God,” Maria shook her head. “How many times have they used those rocks in films? And TV shows?”

“Can you say, low budget?” Liz smirked.

“I thought Langly was into blockbusters and stuff,” Maria lifted her head and peered over the top of her sunglasses. “Big on special effects.”

“I’m probably doing him an injustice,” Liz shrugged. “He probably has some exotic location planned. He expects this to be a huge blockbuster, though. He told us as much at yesterday’s meeting.”

“So you met Kyle Valenti, huh?”

“I did,” Liz smiled.

“And?”

“And what?” Liz frowned.

“You know damn well what,” Maria scolded.

“Okay,” Liz chuckled. “Yeah, he’s hot. Okay? That man is sizzling.”

“A little off screen chemistry already, huh?” Maria grinned.

“Maria,” she warned.

“Talking of chemistry,” Maria laid back down. “Are you going to fire your lawyer? Did you go visit Whitman and Rogers?”

“I did,” Liz nodded from behind her sunglasses.

“And?”

“You like that word, don’t you,” Liz stated.

“It can be used in any context,” Maria agreed. “Maria, I don’t think that song works for you. And? Maria, that dress is way too short. And? I saw Kyle Valenti, yesterday. And? Okay, so how did the meeting go?”

“It went well,” Liz shrugged. “I went last week, the day after my interview with Ophi. And guess what? The Whitman in Whitman and Rogers is an old school friend. Alex Whitman.”

“No way!”

“Yes way,” Liz nodded with a chuckle. “So anyway, I’m going to meet up with Alex tomorrow night and…”

“Tomorrow night?” Maria grinned. “For dinner?”

“Uh huh,” Liz smiled. “So we can catch up. We haven’t seen much of each other over the last few years.”

“Is this something Barry should worry about?”

“No,” Liz shook her head. “Alex is… well, Alex. He’s just a friend. A really good friend. He’s the closest thing I have to a brother.”

“My best friend radar is sensing a ‘but’ here,” Maria looked up again.

“I know that he doesn’t see me as a sister. He asked me out every year since we turned thirteen. Right up to when Barry proposed to me. So, yeah. I’m a little worried that he might think I’m looking for something more.”

“Well,” Maria cocked her head in thought. “When you meet him, the first thing you say to him is how great it is to have your brother back.”

“That would be a buzz kill,” Liz nodded.

“So are you dumping Aldus’ ass?

“You bet I am,” Liz growled. “Tomorrow, my notification is being hand delivered to his office and on Friday, I go over to Alex’s office and sign up with him. We’ve already completed the formalities. He’s even hired someone to take over some of his other clients so he can make me his number one priority.”

“I bet he’ll love that,” Maria laughed. “Hey, you’re coming to my birthday party, right?”

“Of course,” Liz nodded. “When is it, again?”

“Liz!” Maria sounded both shocked and offended.

“Relax,” Liz giggled. “Sunday the twenty sixth. I got it. Who’s coming? Anyone famous?”

Maria laughed with her.

“God, I love your house,” Maria let out a long breath. “It’s so quiet around here.”

“Yeah,” Liz agreed. “It’s a great house.”

“You know what it’s missing, though?”

“No, what?” Liz wondered.

“I can’t wait until you have some kids running around.”

“Yours too, Maria,” Liz smirked.

Maria gave a soft snort of amusement.

“What?” Liz looked up. “Michael no nearer proposing?”

“Oh, that’s not the problem,” Maria sat upright and pushed her sunglasses up into her hair. “There’s this whole… thing… between Michael and me and we’re not even sure…”

“Thing?” Liz copied her friend and sat upright. She took her glasses off. “What thing? And you’re not sure about what? Maria, is everything all right between you and Michael?”

Maria had what Liz considered a perfect life. She had a hot boyfriend who she had been seeing since she was sixteen and who didn’t care about her famous lifestyle. He also knew how to drive her wild in bed. Liz had slept over at Maria’s on more than one occasion and heard them together. Something she had experienced only once in her life. Something she wished she could experience again, but knew how impossible that was.

“What?” Maria’s eyes widened. “No, of course we’re okay. Nothing could be better. It’s just… Let’s just say that because of Michael’s… background, were not sure if… I mean, he might not even want kids.”

“You mean because of his abusive foster-father,” Liz’s face filled with sympathy.

“Right,” Maria nodded. “Hey, let’s get drunk.”

Wednesday, April 15th

Max sat on a plastic chair on the verandah outside of his third floor room of the Motel 6 and just watched the world go by. As the motel was on a major artery, the world in this case happened to be traffic, or the occasional pedestrian making their way to the small strip mall with the fast food diners and the convenience store, a block up the road. In fact, most of his meals came from the Seven-Eleven they had there. Still, he was feeling good.

Debra might be divorcing him, but he had found a job close to his oldest and dearest… and only friends, Michael and Maria. Alexander Graham Bell once said, ‘When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.’ Max was determined not to look too long at the closed door that was Debra. That had been a mistake, a mistake that had not only wasted three years of ‘his’ life, had wasted three of Debra’s as well. He really did wish her well, hoping that she found someone who would love her as she should be loved. He was just not that guy.

The door that was opening to Max was his new job with Whitman and Rogers. A new job he would be starting in only five days time. Bright and early, Monday morning, Max would be walking into the next chapter of his life. He could hardly wait.

He figured that he had enough money left to stay in this motel until his first pay-check. If things got a little tight, he was sure Michael might advance him a couple of hundred bucks. It’s not like Max hadn’t bailed Michael out a time or two. They were good friends, tight. Neither would stand by and not help the other out if they could.

Once he received his first pay-check, then Max would find himself a small apartment somewhere. A place he could call home, even if it wouldn’t really be a home at all; just a place to sleep. Pretty much like this motel room. Things were looking up and Max could not conceive anything that would screw this up. Today was the first day of the rest of his life. Lonely as it was. His cell phone started to ring, waking him from his daydreams.

“Hello?” he spoke, not recognizing the caller’s number.

“Hello, is that Max?” a voice asked.

“Speaking,” Max nodded.

“Max, it’s Alex,” Alex told him. “Alex Whitman.”

“Yes! Hello, Alex,” Max stood up from his seat. “How can I help you?”

“Yeah, listen. You know we asked you to start Monday, right?”

“Yeah,” Max’s stomach fell away. Had they changed their minds?

“The thing is, the big new client we’re signing is coming in on Friday afternoon. So as I’m going to be pretty busy from then on, I was kind of hoping that maybe you could come in on Friday morning for your orientation and until my client arrives, I can show you which of my old clients you’ll be helping me with.”

“Uh, sure,” Max exhaled with relief. “I can do that.”

“Excellent,” Alex told him. “Right. Gotta dash. I have to go get ready.”

“Got a hot date?” Max grinned.

“Oh, yeah,” he could sense Alex’s smile. “The hottest. Do you ever think things happen for a reason?”

“Absolutely,” Max shook his head.

“And do you believe in second chances?”

“Of course I do,” he nodded.

He had to. His whole life was based on a hope for a second chance. One he knew he would never get. Bur where there is life, there is hope.

“Well, there’s this girl… Girl!” he snorted. “Hell, she’s a woman, now. I had the biggest crush on her. For the longest time. Anyway… we kind of drifted apart and now she’s come back into my life again. I’m uh, taking her out to dinner tonight.”

“Sound’s great,” Max’s stomach fell away again. Why couldn’t that ever happen to him. He would ‘love’ to meet her again. “Well, good luck with that.”

“See you Friday, Max.”

Wednesday, April 15th

Perhaps he should have taken it as an omen. San Diego only receives five days of rain during April, and normally, only showers. When the heavens opened up that Wednesday evening and dropped a whole month’s rainfall in one shower, it should have told him something. But when the white limousine pulled up in front of the elegant French restaurant in San Diego’s theatre district, his heart started to pound while his palms grew damp. He watched through the window as the chauffeur opened the passenger door while holding up an umbrella. The object of his affections emerged from the white car.

He thought he would damn near burst when she entered the restaurant in that white coat buttoned at her waist. She wore a headscarf and sunglasses. If he hadn’t been expecting her, he would never have known that this was Elizabeth Parker, one of the hottest starlets from Hollywood.

“Liz,” he rose from his seat and waved.

He saw her smile at once and his mouth grew dry as one of the staff helped her take her coat off. She was wearing an elegant blue, calf length silk dress that showed her curves to perfection. She walked toward him as she pulled off her scarf and her sunglasses.

“Hello, Alex,” she smiled, standing on tiptoes to kiss his cheek.

He pulled her into a hug.

“It’s so good to have my brother back,” Liz hugged him back.

‘Damn’ Alex’s hopes crashed. But he smiled again. “It’s good having my best friend back.”

“Have you ordered yet?” Liz pulled away from the hug and sat in the chair a waiter had pulled out. “We have so much catching up to do.”

Friday April 17th

Friday was, Max decided, a very strange day to start a new job. Especially one that he hoped would turn into more of a career. Of course, he had originally thought that he would be starting the following Monday, but an extra day worked meant an extra day’s pay. And right now, that was more important than when he started. Besides, it sure beat sitting around a motel lot.

“We keep all the files in here,” Alex’s secretary, a tall, sandy haired woman led him into a huge room that looked more like a maze of filing cabinets. “Of course, everything is computerized now, but not everything can be stored electronically. In theory, you needn’t ever come down here; just ask a secretary. But it always helps to know where this room is.”

And so it went. Max was taken from one room to another and introduced to the occupants. He was shown where everything was and then spent an hour with Alex Whitman and Stuart Rogers while they welcomed him to their firm and spoke at length about the future direction of the company.

“We have an open door policy, Max,” Stuart told him. “Unless the door is closed, which indicates that a meeting is in progress, feel free to enter anyone’s office, anytime. Especially if you have any questions.”

“Right,” Alex confirmed. “Speaking of meetings, I have an important one at four this afternoon, so I suggest that you start to look through the files of the clients I’ve allocated to you and kind of get aquatinted with them. That way, you can ask me any questions before our new client arrives.”

“Sounds great,” Max nodded.

“Elizabeth Parker,” Liz smiled at the stunned receptionist. “And Doug Shellow. We’re here to see Alex Whitman.”

The receptionist had never been briefed about how to handle this. It’s not as though too many film stars lived in San Diego. The few sports stars her bosses represented were fairly minor. So to see ‘the’ Elizabeth Parker in her reception area, it took some time for her to get her brain into gear.

“Uh, yes,” she nodded, her eyes never leaving the young woman. “Uhm…”

Her shaking hand fumbled with her appointment book as she tried to open it at the correct page. Finally, she tore her eyes away and looked at what she was doing. What ‘was’ she doing? Oh yeah. Elizabeth Parker. Appointment with Alex. She finally opened the right page. The booking didn’t actually say ‘Elizabeth Parker’ but she understood what V.I.P. meant. Nodding emphatically at the star, she picked up the phone.

“Alex, here…” she blurted. “I mean…” she took a deep breath. “Alex, Ms. Parker is uh… she’s here.”

There was a pause.

“Uh, okay,” she nodded, hanging up the phone.

“Uh…” she looked up again and then looked over at the big clock on the wall.

“I know,” Liz smiled. “We’re early. Is that a problem?”

“No!” she squeaked. “No! No problem at all. Not at all. Alex he uh…” She pointed at the phone. “Alex said he’ll be right down. He said he’s uh…”

The ping from the elevator spared any further humiliation.

“Liz!” Alex exclaimed as he hurried from the elevator to his friend.

“Alex,” she smiled, accepting his embrace. “You remember Doug Shellow, my manager.”

“Mr. Whitman,” he extended his hand.

His cold, snippy tone earned a reproving glare from Liz.

“Hi, Doug,” Alex shook the offered hand and pulled his sleeve back to look at his watch. “You’re early.”

“I know,” Liz nodded. “I just said that to your receptionist. Is it okay? That we’re early, I mean?”

“Of course,” he waved her apology away. “Come on. My office is this way.”

A short elevator ride later, Liz, Doug and Alex stepped into Alex’s office. They were on the second floor with a lovely view over a park. Liz could just make out the sea over the top of the next line of buildings.

“Nice place,” she commented.

Doug gave a soft snort of contempt.

“Thank you,” Alex smiled, pulling out a chair for Liz to sit down. “Can I get you anything? Coffee? Tea? Do you still drink tons of milk?”

“Tea would be fine,” Liz nodded, sitting down. “Thank you.”

“Clara,” Alex pressed an intercom button. “Can you arrange for some tea for our guests and have the Parker file brought in?”

Alex stood up and walked to the table where Liz had sat down. Doug pulled up a chair while Alex sat on the corner of the table.

“Alex,” Max Evans walked through the open door reading from an open file. “I have the Gilchrist account here and I just noticed…”

Max also just noticed that Alex had company. He looked up to greet them but his eyes locked on only one person. The beautiful, petite young woman with the dark brunette hair that had haunted his dreams for the last five years. She was looking at him with as big a shock on her face as he had on his.

“You!” they both exclaimed at once.

Liz reacted first. She leapt to her feet and ran for the door, knocking the heavy file from Max’s hands. Bewildered, Doug Shellow chased her, also knocking Max, easily knocking him over. Alex stared at Max as he fell to the ground amid the jumble of papers and then the open doorway through which Liz had just run. He then chased after them.

“Liz!” he called, catching her just as she reached the revolving doors to leave. He had been forced to run down the stairs to catch her, as she had taken the elevator. “Liz? What’s the matter? Are you okay?”

“Alex,” she turned and faced her friend. “I’m sorry. If I had known he worked here, I’d never have asked you to represent me. Anyone but him. I will not put my business anywhere he works.”

“You don’t want him? Fine,” Alex read the lay of the land quickly. “We only hired him today. He’s fired. Dismissed. He’s already out of here.”

“Call me when he’s gone,” she hissed and stormed through the doors.

Last edited by WR on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 5

Post by WR »

Hi Everyone,

Boy, you know you are getting old when your youngest is starting to look at Universities! In just over a year's time, she'll be gone. :( BTW - for those of you that remember, my eldest is now almost finished year 3 of her 6 year Vetrinary Medicine course. Both my girls will be away from home. But what the heck. I am so proud of the young ladies they have become.

A call for help! Do I have any native Germans reading? I need some help for another story I am writing (not Roswell) and my German is in excess of 20 years old and badly fragmented. I need some help with some dialog. email me oldeworlde at talktalk dot net.

HypnotiqBlueEyes - Let's just say... she reacted badly. :)
nitpick23 - Was it a grudge or total shock? Liz and Barry's history is explained later.
mary mary - Well, the shock of meeting the msn she knows took her virginity and ran out on her kind of messed her up a little.
MP - Thanks
begonia9508 - Shallow has a thing for her. he represents male sports stars... and Liz. Perhaps he thinks other agents get a piece of the action so...
dreamon - I'm using toe delay before getting to the new parts to work on my non Roswell story and the rest of this one.
keepsmiling7 - I think Max's who;le plan was... wait - that all comes out in this chapter.

Chapter 5

Saturday April 18th

“Is that the Jane Doe we found the other morning?” Carl Gartner looked up as his mentor, Roy Montoya entered the office, reading a file.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Only she isn’t Jane Doe any more.”

“What took them so long to ID the body?”Gartner asked.

“She’s not in the system,” Montoya shook his head. “She lived alone, no missing report filed. People at work just assumed she was pulling a sickie.”

“So what have we got?”

“We have a female Caucasian,” Montoya read from the file. “Chelsea Howard, formerly of Sunset Drive, La Mesa. Height, five two. Weight, one ten. She worked at the Seven Eleven on El Cajon Boulevard. Last seen just after twenty three hundred hours on Sunday, April twelfth by a manager and co-worker as they were locking up. Both manager and co-worker said that she seemed a little excited, like she was going to meet someone. She started walking in the opposite direction to her normal route home. Nine hours later, she is discovered by a tramp in a back alley in Little Italy.

There were no signs of sexual intercourse and no traceable DNA. Her lips were swollen and her smudged lipstick suggests that she was at least involved in a heavy make out session. She was stabbed seven times, each time in or around the heart. Her throat was cut, too. CSI says that the cut to her throat and six of the stab wounds all occurred while she was still alive. It was the final stab wound directly to the heart that killed her although she must have lost so much blood by then, she could easily have bled to death. The attack was not frenzied but rather deliberate and calculated.”

He looked up at his partner, Carl Gartner.

“That is one sick man here. A psychopath.”

“Anything else?” Gartner nodded at the report.

“She was moved,” Montoya nodded. “She was killed somewhere else and dumped in Little Italy.”

“You don’t crap on your own doorstep,” Gartner whispered.

“No fingerprints on the body and they didn’t even find any cloth fibers on her. Forensics usually finds fibers of what she had been wearing. Someone took great care to make sure she wouldn’t tell us anything.”

“What about the tattoo?” Gartner frowned. “Does it mean anything? Gang affiliation?”

“Standard design,” Montoya shook his head. “Must be a hundred girls or more out there with it. So unless more girls start dying with that tattoo, we can forget that as a line of investigation. Uniform has been issued with pictures. They’ll be circulating around La Mesa, trying to see if anyone saw her Sunday night. And we’re asking around Little Italy, too. Maybe a cab driver saw something. Anything. He had to have driven her body there. And he had to have been stopped long enough for someone to see him.”

“Maybe it was a motor bike,” Gartner commented as he looked over Montoya’s shoulder at the report.

“Why do you say that?” Montoya looked up at his partner.

“Did you read the part about her hair? How it was flattened, as though she had been wearing a helmet.”

“I assumed it would have been a hat,” Montoya shrugged. “But yeah. Might have been a motorcycle helmet that caused that.”

“Let’s hope we catch him before he strikes again,” Gartner shook his head. “You do think he’ll strike again, right?”

“I know it,” Montoya nodded.

Saturday April 18th

How many times had she imagined how she would react if she ever had met him again? How many times had she fantasized in her shower how he would look at her and fall to his knees, begging for her forgiveness for running out on her. And how she would enfold him in her arms and drag him to bed where they would recreate the wonderful passion they had shared that one night… Only this time, they would be sober. She doubted that their passion could have been any better than it had been that night. How many times had she promised herself that she would allow him to explain why he felt he had to sneak out of his own bed, his own room until she left?

When the reality set in, she had not reacted at all well.

Not that any positive reaction would have led anywhere, of course; she was married, after all, and in all probability, he was too. It would have been nice to hear his explanation, though. A kind of salve to her soul after all these years. Right up until the day that she had married Barry, she would have accepted his apology and hoped that maybe they could start afresh and build a relationship, slowly. She never did stop thinking about him and how he made her feel. But now, it was too late for that. And after her reaction, it was even more so. There would be no hope, now. No more fantasies that she knew would never be.

Alex had called her that very night to tell her that they had let the man go. That he was told it wasn’t going to work out. He had, Alex said, taken it all very philosophically and not asked any questions. It was plain to Liz that he had known the score. She was a Hollywood actress now, and Hollywood actresses got whatever they wanted. You want a bottle of water melted from a glacier in Alaska? No problem. You want fresh Italian Olives in the middle of February? Easy. Want a person dismissed from his job? Consider it done.

“Are we going anywhere in particular, Miss Parker?” Ben, the chauffeur asked.

They had been driving in circles all morning.

“Maria’s,” Liz nodded. “Take me to Maria’s.”

She hadn’t slept at all last night. Lucky for her, Barry was away on one of his poker nights again. He tended to ‘crash’ at his friends on those nights. Not that he would be drunk or anything; they were professional ball players after all and his colleagues would soon be in full training. They did, however, play until the small hours of the morning. If it wasn’t for the fact that Liz knew he could only attain any kind of erection once every three or four months, she would suspect him of cheating on her. Always glad when he wasn’t home, she was especially happy about that last night.

After a night of thinking, and soul searching… and lots and lots of crying, there was only one place to go. And that was to see Maria. She hoped she was awake and, more importantly, not working. She hoped that Maria had some ice cream available. She really needed her best friend right now.

Saturday April 18th

“I wish you would stay a while longer,” Maria frowned as Michael loaded Max’s small case into the back of the jeep. “We don’t see you as often as we would like to.”

“There’s no real need to leave, is there?” Michael joined them.

“I need to get back,” Max shrugged. “I need to find myself a job… somewhere to live… You know.”

“I thought you found a job, here,” Michael frowned. “Look, Maxwell. When you got here last night, it was obvious you were hurting. Again. And being your second in command, I waited for you to open up. But you didn’t. All I know is that the other day, you were excited because you were going to start a new life here, close to your friends, you had a new job and me and Maria were going to help you look for a new apartment. Today, you tell us you made a mistake and you’re going home. To what? Debra’s left you, you quit your job and you don’t have a home to go to. Home is not there, buddy. Today, I’m not your second in command. Today I’m your friend. What the hell happened yesterday?”

Max looked at Michael and then at Maria. When he had discovered that the client Alex Whitman had been talking about was none other than Elizabeth Parker, and he had seen her, sitting in that chair, how could he not have been stunned? The only girl on this planet who had ever captivated him, who he had ever felt the remotest of connections with, and she was sitting there, in front of him.

As soon as she had appeared on that daytime drama, he had recognized her. He had known at once that she was the beautiful young woman he had taken back to his room after getting drunk with her. He had followed her career from then on, always wondering… what if? He had often wondered what he might have said if their paths had ever crossed and he had to admit, if only to himself, the reason he had chosen San Diego for his fresh start was because he knew that she lived there. Sure, she was married now, to an NFL superstar, no less. Max had no illusions as to how much she would love her husband and how little she would even think about someone that she had once met in a drunken stupor. Someone whom she had run out on in spite of a note asking her to stay. He knew why she had left, of course. She had been involved with someone else and felt guilty. Still it was nice to imagine.

But to see her there, in the flesh… She was even more beautiful than she had been five years ago. She had filled out nicely, too. Something he had only imagined he was seeing on film, knowing that cameras tend to exaggerate. She was, quite simply, stunning. But she had bolted. She had run away as fast as she had that early morning after the night before. The man with her - her manager? – had knocked him over, preventing him from chasing after her and then Alex followed her, leaving Max to pick up the dropped papers, still shocked at seeing her so close.

“I’m sorry, Max,” Alex told him when he returned. “Looks like this isn’t going to work out. We’ll draw you up a check for a week’s pay but we’re going to have to let you go.”

When it came to choosing between a new employee’s continued service and a superstar’s business, Max knew which he would have chosen. Especially if that superstar happened to be a certain Miss Elizabeth Parker.

“They had a new client,” Max explained to Michael, his shoulders slumping. “A Hollywood star. I guess my face didn’t fit because five minutes after them seeing me, the boss is paying me off saying that they had to let me go. I got the message. They had to choose between me or the star. Guess who they chose.”

“But there are other firms, Max,” Maria placed her arm on his in sympathy.

“Sorry, Maria,” Max took a last look around. “I can’t…”

Not when he knew that she had hated him all this time.

“I better go,” he nodded over his shoulder at his jeep. “It’s a long drive, and…”

“Where will you go?” Michael asked in a quiet voice. “Back to Miami?”

“No,” Max tucked his hands into his back pockets and stared at the ground. “Miami is where Debra and her new life is. I’ll just be in the way. No, I think I’ll move back to Roswell. You know, Mom and Dad, Isabel and Jesse.”

“The Granolith,” Michael added.

“Yeah,” Max nodded. “Maybe I can spend my free time examining the thing. Find out what the hell it is.”

“Just don’t use it to fly home,” Michael threatened.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Max scratched his ear. “At least, maybe if I concentrate on it for more than just a weekend here and there…”

“What did you tell Debra all those times you went home to Roswell?” Michael asked. “I mean, she must have wanted to come with you, right?”

“I told her I was on business,” Max shrugged. “She would only have wanted to come out to the chamber with me. How could I have explained that?”

“It’s no wonder,” Maria shook her head sadly. “You should have told her the truth, Max.”

“Anyway, maybe Roswell is where I’m supposed to be.”

“But, all those memories?” Maria reached out her hand and held his arm. “That’s why you left Roswell in the first place, right? To escape those memories.”

“Our memories are always with us, Maria,” Max shook his head. “Whether in Miami, or San Diego or Roswell… I always remember. Besides, I need people I know around me. Otherwise, I’d be… alone.”

“You know us,” Michael pointed out.

“And Maria is bound to go on another tour and then where will I be?”

“You’re allowed to be happy, Max,” Maria blurted. “I know that Tess really did a number on you, but you can’t ever believe that you’re not good enough, just because that little bitch told you so.”

“I screwed up, Maria,” Max sighed. “I got us killed. All four of us. Rath, Ava, Vilondra and Zan. And I damn near got us all killed again, only this time, you and Jesse, too.”

“Is that what this is about?” Michael stormed forward. “On Antar, we were kids, Max. Barely out of our teens. You had been on the throne for six months and how the hell were we supposed to know that Kivar had been playing us all for fools? What did we know about ruling? We were betrayed; we had no chance. And here? You were sixteen, Max. Sixteen! And the FBI Special unit had finally run you down and had you in a white room. Did you really think we were just going to leave you there? Did you think that we would just run for the hills to save our own necks? Would you have left any of us there? Everything that happened to us Max, all of it... The Sheriff investigating you, Hubble, the FBI, the White Room, New York… All of it, Max. It all happened because you saved Maria’s life and drew attention to yourself. Because I asked you to. An act I can never repay you for. Did you really think I would just turn and hightail it out of there? And as for the Skins… We never went looking for them, Max. They came for us. They forced us to take them on or die. We chose to take them on, all of them, Max, because they came after us. And we prevailed. Thanks to you. So don’t let that bitch ex-wife of yours take away the one thing you are.”

“And what’s that?” Max barely looked up at his friend.

“Max,” Michael stated with a shrug, as if that was all the answer that was needed. “You’re Max. And you should be damn proud of that.”

Max nodded his thanks and swung himself into the seat.

“I’ve said it once, Max,” Michael tried once more. “I’ve said it a thousand times. It’s time you started to fight for you, instead of us. It’s time you stopped running away and made a stand.”

Max turned the ignition and looked up.

“Maybe I just haven’t got anything worth fighting for. Except for the ‘us’.”

With a sad little wave, Max released the clutch and the Jeep lurched forward. He watched in his mirror as Michael stood with his arm around Maria, both of them waving. The large gates swung open and Max turned onto Cliffside Drive, swerving slightly to avoid the white limo that was about to turn into the driveway he had just left.

Saturday April 18th

“Is he going to be alright, Michael?” Maria asked as she watched the Jeep disappear between the gates.

“I have no idea,” Michael shook his head. “Before all this started, I would have bet the farm on his strength. But I don’t know, Maria. It’s like there’s a part of him missing.”

“He was fine when we graduated high school,” Maria narrowed her eyes. “”Something must have happened to him since then.”

“Maybe,” he nodded. “But I think he’s right. In the frame of mind he’s in, it’s better he’s close to Isabel. She has a better connection to him than me. And besides, maybe she can dream-walk him and see what’s going on in his mind.”

He saw the white limo pulling into the driveway.

“Talking about people with parts missing, here’s Hollow-woman.”

“Hollow-woman?” Maria watched the white limo drive up toward them.

“Yeah,” Michael turned to walk away. “That woman is so not all there. Like she’s got nothing inside.”

“Michael!” she called at him. “How are we supposed to figure out what happened to Max if he’s not here?”

“Later,” he waved over his shoulder.

Maria rolled her eyes and turned to greet her friend who was just climbing from her limo before the car had even stopped.

“Oh, Maria!” Liz burst into tears and ran into her friend’s arms.

Last edited by WR on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 6

Post by WR »

Hi Everyone,

Another weekend and another chapter.
Tonight, I answer some of your questions regarding Liz and Maria's relationship, and maybe answer some about why Liz reacted the way she did to Max.

HypnotiqBlueEyes - You are right. Max and Liz are not complete and it seems others have noticed.

keepsmiling7 - Would it be my story if Max and Liz din't sort themselves out? ;)

begonia9580 - Yes, too much at once. Nice, :) My youngest won't start Uni till sept 2013, her applications have to be in by Novemner this year though, so we're starting our visits and research now. I'm really hoping she will choose this one in particular which is an hour;s drive away and 15 mins up the road from my other daughter.

Clueless - I wondered where you'd got to ;) I should have made you sewar to post feedback! ;)

eririn - Well, I thank you for being your first post :) and I thank you for reading my stories. as for English not being your mother tongue, wow! I wish I could speak a foreign language so well. If you don't mind my asking, what is your mother tongue?

mary mary - heh heh - Pariaienne Walkways, huh? That ol' chestnut. :D Regarding the German, someone suggested that I do what I did with Parisienne and put anything in a foreign language in italics so the english readers know what is being said. Thanks, though.

Okay - on with the story.

Chapter 6

Saturday April 18th

For an hour, Liz and Maria sat in the shade of some eucalyptus and citrus trees in a quiet part of Maria’s extensive gardens. Neither said a word. Liz was quiet because she had no idea how to formulate her feelings. Maria, because she knew that she had to let Liz speak first. She would sit and wait for as long as Liz needed.

“Do you remember what it was like, when we were growing up,” Liz finally started talking. “When I lived in Roswell, before we moved to Seattle?”

“Sure, I do,” Maria gave a wistful smile. “You and me against the world. Siamese twins, they called us. You know, I was so mad with you when you moved away. You were eight years old and I was blaming you.”

“Do you ever wonder how things would have been if I stayed?”

Yeah, Maria rolled her eyes. You might have been dragged into the whole alien abyss, too. I wonder how you would have handled all that?

“Why did you move?” Maria wondered out loud. “I mean, your dad owned the most popular diner in town and you just… upped and left.”

“Oh, you know, he got this totally amazing offer for the Crashdown. Dad was offered a highly profitable diner in Seattle plus a healthy chunk of cash. It was such a one sided deal. I mean, financially it made no sense to Dad, from the other guy’s perspective, but he said that he would have been a total and complete idiot not to take it. Mr. Harding said that he didn’t care about the money side of things, that he needed to buy some property in Roswell.”

“Harding?” Maria’s blood turned a little cold.

“Yeah,” Liz nodded. “I remember him because he was so… totally creepy. Anyway, when we were keeping in touch with letters, and phone calls, then with emails and IM’s… Did you ever think… why am I bothering? Why am I putting up with a long distance friendship with a girl I can hardly remember?”

“No,” Maria shook her head. She would have to talk to Michael about this Harding business, later. Ed Harding, who had been their protector and had apparently not been able to find three alien kids. Ed Harding who had come in to town with the fourth alien, Max’s wife from a previous lifetime and so ‘royally’ screwed with the three of them, betraying them to their enemies. “Not once, Chica. It was such a big part of my life. You were such a big part of my life. And you still are.”

“Not even when you would rather have been out sucking face with Michael?”

“Don’t get me wrong,” Maria smirked. “Michael’s great and all… Especially when it comes to sucking face. But you can’t beat a best friend.”

“Do you remember when we were in our senior year of High School and you told me about that woman from New York when she offered you that contract?” Liz gazed into the distance. “Do you remember that night in Seattle when you were visiting me on your way to New York? When we just laid on my balcony and stared up at the stars?”

“I do,” Maria nodded. “That was a great night. Wasn’t that the night you tried to persuade me that there were other worlds out there, intelligent life, probably watching us?”

“Yeah,” Liz gave a faint smile. “I told you not to laugh at me and you did. Do you remember that promise I exacted from you?”

“Which one?” Maria teased. “There were quite a few, as I recall. Though you must know by now that the ‘remaining a virgin’ ship had long since sailed for me. Michael and I… we had already…”

“Yeah, I kind of guessed,” Liz blushed.

“Then there was the ‘Let’s never do drugs’, promise,” Maria chuckled. “And the never get drunk…”

“The one I’m talking about” Liz quickly interrupted, “is the one where you promised you would never get above yourself, that you would never become a prima donna and make stupid demands of the people who had to work for you.”

“I remember that one well,” Maria nodded. “So well, in fact, that I made you make that same promise when you got signed on to do that show.”

“Have you ever broken it?”

“Nope,” Maria shook her head. “Well, wait. There was this one time, this guy they had assigned to be my gopher, he really thought he was the shit. He really had this high opinion of himself. He thought that all he had to do was smile at me and I was going to beg to be his love slave or something. Always with the creepy smiles and the wandering eyes. Anyway, he said to me that if I wanted anything, anything at all, he would get it for me. God! He was so slimy! So I told him how I wanted a Densuke Watermelon.”

“A what?” Liz giggled, a pleasant sound considering her current state of mind.

“It’s the rarest fruit in the world, Liz,” Maria smiled. “ A black watermelon. It’s grown only on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido. They’re so rare, they’re sold at auction. They can sell for as much as six thousand dollars each.”

“Six thousand dollars?” Liz exclaimed. “How big are they?”

“About seventeen pounds,” she shrugged, cupping her hands in an approximation of the melon’s size.

“God, Maria! What did he say?”

“He smiled that oily smile of his and said ‘no problem, babe. Consider it done.’”

“Did he get you one?”

“He came back the next night with an ordinary watermelon, painted black.”

“No!”

“Yeah,” Maria laughed. “So I asked him where the label of authentication was. He stands there and looks at me blankly so I say, sparkling wine is not champagne unless it’s produced in the Champagne area of France, and a Watermelon that’s been painted black is just a black watermelon unless it has a label of authentication. I didn’t see him again.”

“Maria!” Liz laughed for a moment before falling silent again.

“Who was that I saw leaving, when I arrived,” Liz asked out of the blue. She hadn’t really noticed who it was, only that it was someone in an old Jeep.

“Oh, that was Max,” Maria gave a sad nod.

“The ‘Max’ I’ve heard so much about over the years?” Liz looked up. “I thought he lived in Miami?”

“He did,” she shrugged. “But his wife is suing him for a divorce so Max decided to move out here to be close to us. A fresh start, he called it.”

“That’s great,” Liz nodded. “I mean… about him moving here, not… I know how fond you and Michael are of him. He’s kind of like Michael’s brother, right? I expect it will be good to see more of him.”

“Yeah,” Maria sighed. “We thought so, too.”

“Oh?” Liz frowned, catching Maria’s use of the past tense. “What’s up?”

“He found a job almost on his first try,” Maria sat up, the coincidence escaping her. “He was really excited about it. Some legal firm was taking on a new star and needed to employ someone to look after the partner’s clients or something. Anyway, this big hotshot star obviously didn’t like his face or something because the next thing Max knows is they fired him. That’s gotta be a record, huh? Hired and fired the same day.”

“Oh,” Liz thought the story was too close to home. Could Max and her mystery man be one in the same person? That would be just too fantastic; too coincidental. “So what’s he going to do now?”

“I have no idea,” Maria sighed. “He’s heading home, for Roswell. What he’ll do there is anyone’s guess, Liz. But he’s going to be miserable. And Max doesn’t deserve that. I wish you could have known him. Especially before… well, before all this. He’s the nicest, most gentle… If I could get my hands on that star’s neck, I’d kick his ass till I saw his teeth.”

“What company was it?” Liz whispered. “It wasn’t Whitman and Rogers, was it?”

“Liz?” Maria frowned, recognizing the tone in Liz’s voice. It all became clear. How had she not joined the dots? “What did you do?”

Saturday April 18th

Detective Roy Montoya climbed from his car and surveyed the scene. He was parked in the parking lot of a budget motel that doubled as residential motel to some and a no-tell motel to others. The place was a dump. In desperate need of a lot of maintenance, he was surprised that the place hadn’t been condemned. He looked across the parking lot, past the marked cars and flashing red and blue lights to where the CSI team were swarming around the end cabin. With Gartner beside him, they approached the police line, flashing their badges as they went through.

“What have we got?” he tried to peer into the darkened interior.

“At ten o’clock this morning,” another detective informed him, “the clerk-stroke-handyman, a Mr. Craig O’Donnell came to room fifteen to get it ready for the next occupant. He noticed the smell but couldn’t see the source. Until he opened the closet.”

“Same MO as the case we’re investigating?” Montoya frowned.

“Seems that way,” he nodded. “CSI are still in there, but from what I saw before I called them in, it was a small blonde with a slit throat and stab wounds to the chest. CSi say that she’s been there at least two weeks. Same MO, except…”

“Except what?” Montoya looked up.

“It seems she was killed here. Blood splatters indicate she was killed in the room. The other was killed somewhere else, right?”

“Right,” Montoya nodded.

“Maybe Chelsea Howard was killed here, too,” Gartner offered. “But he didn’t have time to move both bodies.”

“Where’s this clerk stroke handyman?” Montoya looked around.

“That’s him,” the detective nodded toward the reception. “Craig O’Donnell. No previous convictions, just a regular lazy asshole.”

“Got it,” Montoya nodded. “Come on, Carl. Let’s go see what Mr. clerk stroke handyman has to say.”

“So tell me, Mr. O’Donnell,” Montoya looked up from his notes. “Or can I call you Craig?”

“Craig’s good,” Craig nodded, his legs bouncing up and down with nerves as he sat in front of the two policemen. “You can call me Craig.”

“This is Detective Gartner, and I’m Detective Montoya of the San Diego Police Department. Now, you’re not in any trouble, okay? But would you feel more comfortable if you had someone with you while we asked questions? A lawyer, perhaps?”

“No sir,” Carl shook his head. “I ain’t done nothing wrong so I don’t need no lawyer. But I don’t know as I can help you none. I never saw the man that rented cabin fifteen.”

“You didn’t?” Montoya frowned. “Do you know who was on duty when he checked in?”

“Oh, I was on duty,” Craig nodded. “See, I’m the only one as works here. I kind of do everything. For that, I get free lodging and all the free cable I want. Plus money to buy food… and stuff.”

“If you were on duty, how did you not see him?” Montoya frowned.

“The girl came in,” he nodded toward the cabin. “The car pulls up and she hops out and comes inside. She’s kinda cute, you know? And she says how much for one of your cabins? I figure her and her boyfriend are just looking for somewhere to uh, rest. If you catch my drift. So I tells her, twenty-five bucks an hour. She says no. They want it for the night. So I tell her the standard rates are twenty-five bucks a night, one twenty five a week. Anything longer is negotiable. So she hands me the money and I gives her the key. They drive on over to fifteen and I just turn back to my TV.”

He pointed over his shoulder at the bulky, old thirty-two inch TV behind reception, a few feet away from an old, worn easy boy recliner.

“So how come it took you two weeks to check the cabin out?” Montoya frowned. “You do clean rooms out when they’re finished with, right?”

“Yessir,” Craig nodded. “Just as soon as the occupants check out, I goes in and cleans up. Sometimes it’s kind of gross, you know. ‘Specially after an hour special. But I’ll lose my job if I don’t clean the rooms out. We make more money on the hourly rate, if you catch my drift. Some nights, we can get two or three couples a room.”

“So how come it took you two weeks to clean out room fifteen?”

“Cause next morning, I find an envelope of cash saying how’s they’ll keep the room for two weeks.”

“Can you describe the car, Craig? Make? Model? I don’t suppose you took any registration details?”

“No sir. We don’t take any details on account of why people come out here. If you catch my drift. And I don’t see distances too good.”

Montoya looked at the TV set again and noticed how close the TV was to the chair.

“What I can tell you is that it was a big ol’ thing,” Craig nodded eagerly. “Like a four wheel drive. Sounded old, too. Military, maybe.”

Saturday April 18th

“I could only have been in college a week,” Liz’s voice was thick with tears. “My roommates dragged me to this Frat Party. I didn’t really want to go but I went anyway. It was so not my scene. Anyway, I found a quiet room, full of, well, quiet people. And I met this guy and we started talking. We kind of… I don’t know… I guess we connected.”

“Connected?” Maria’s hackles went up. “In what way?”

“I know this is going to sound totally weird, Maria,” Liz looked up at her friend. “And you have to remember that we were drunk; I think someone spiked the punch. But anyway, we, ah… we kissed, okay? And I swear, Maria. I saw stars. Not the five pointed shapes like in cartoons. I mean real stars. It was like I was travelling through space or something. I even saw this red giant, Maria. A dying sun. And I swear, Maria. I saw us crash in the desert.”

“Wow,” Maria gave a fake laugh. This was too close to the abyss. “Sounds wonderful.”

“Oh, Maria…” Liz sighed. “You have no idea.”

Maria begged to differ.

“But he broke my heart, Maria. He took off before I even got to know his name. I mean, he totally screwed me up, Maria. So much that I actually started to date Barry just because this guy wasn’t around and I kind of figured I wasn’t good enough for him anyway.”

“So what does this have to do with…”

“I saw him, Maria. At Whitman and Rogers. And I couldn’t handle it. So I ran. Alex caught up to me and asked me what was wrong. I told him… I told him…”

“To fire Max,” Maria completed. “Or you wouldn’t let him represent you.”

“Maria, I swear,” she nodded, her face a mask of misery. “I didn’t know he was your friend.”

“But, Liz,” Maria frowned. “It couldn’t have been Max. Max never went to Washington. He went to college in Miami. Graduated there. Got a job. Got married.”

“Then,” Liz looked up and frowned. “Your friend has a clone.”

Last edited by WR on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 7

Post by WR »

Hi everyone!

Wow, another week gone by just like that?
I guess this means another update, then.

mary mary - Indeed!
HypnotiqBlueEyes - All will be revealed soon, but as someone pointed out, Max recognised Liz. Hmmm...
begonia9508 - If she met Zan and it was he who stamped Liz's V card then how does Max recognise her? Another Max? Hmmm.... And if anyone connected the crimes then I am making it too easy, But I do drop a few clues along the way.
eirirn - So you know all about that watermelon, huh? :D Yes, indeed. Maria has a neat little trick up her sleeve.
MP - Zan or Max? Max did recognise her. He did move to san Diego to be close to her. I wonder?
keepsmiling7 - Yes, Liz is feeling bad about herslef right now.
nitpick23 - I wonder if Harding new something abojut Liz or if this was just how fate played out?

Answers regarding the Max/Zan Liz conundrum soon. But more questions for now. ;)

Chapter 7

Sunday April 19th

Detective Roy Montoya was more disheveled than usual when he stepped into his office that morning. Normally used to sleeping late on Sunday mornings, it was a shock to his system when he got a call from the office, telling him that the coroner’s report and the CSI file had just been placed on his desk. He had literally jumped into his clothes and had all but broken the speed limit to get there. And still Carl Gartner was already there, looking as immaculate as ever.

‘Still,’ he grumbled, ‘at least the kid had the decency to wait for me before reading the reports.’

Montoya broke the seal and after extracting the photographs and handing them to Gartner, he pulled out the typed sheet of paper.

“Positively ID’d as Sarah Jennings,” Montoya shook his head. “Told you we’d find her. Address, Quintard Street in Castle Park. Height, Five three, Weight one hundred. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Time of death, sometime between the hours of twenty three hundred, Friday the third of April and oh six hundred hours, Saturday the fourth. Cause of death… stab to the heart. Other wounds, a sliced throat and six stab wounds around the heart. All wound entry points seem to have occurred with care and precision, not a frenzied strike. Blood splatter patterns indicate that her throat was cut first, followed by the stab wounds. It appears that the attacker was behind her as there where no ‘shadows’ in the splatter patterns. No sign of sexual intercourse. Evidence that the body has been wiped clean using some form of isopropyl alcohol. Great, someone who knows what they are doing. Lips swollen suggest heavy make out prior to death. Can you believe this shit?”

Montoya threw the report to the table.

“Does it say anything about her hair?” Gartner looked up.

After a quick look at his partner, Montoya leaned forward and took the report again, quickly scanning the paragraphs of writing.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Hair compression, consistent with having been covered.”

He put the report down again.

“But the ‘clerk-stroke-handyman said it sounded like a four by four. No way does a motorcycle sound like a four by four. Unless his hearing is bad, too, if you catch my drift.”

Gartner gave a snort of amusement.

“He did say he saw the vehicle and it was big,” he added. “What if it was one of them off road things. Maybe they were out in the dunes and were wearing helmets.”

“Maybe,” Montoya nodded. “But she took it off to book the room, right? He said she was a looker, so that means she had taken it off before she entered reception. The report suggests her hair was still flattened at the time of death. You ever watched a lady take off a hat? First thing she does is…” He ran his hands through his hair, his fingers acting like combs, ‘plumping’ her hair.

“Roy?” Gartner looked up from the pictures. “You know you told me to trust any gut instinct? That most times, those first gut instincts are the correct ones?”

“Uh huh?” Montoya look up and narrowed his eyes.

“This guy,” he indicated the photographs of the two slain girls. “He’s a psycho, right? I mean, no way does someone normal do something like this.”

“Right,” Montoya nodded. “Go on.”

“Well, no psycho wakes up and just says, I know, I’m going to get a girl, carefully slice her throat, stab her carefully six times around her heart then finally…”

“Yeah,” Montoya nodded, knowing his partner was getting somewhere.

“Where’s his first victim?”

“His first…” Montoya thought for a moment and started to nod. “Yes. You’re right. He would have had to have killed someone first, maybe by accident. Maybe deliberately. Someone pushed him too far and he struck out. And he liked it. Maybe he got off on it? Maybe it’s the only way he ‘can’ get off. And now, he recreates it, but he plans it first. Because he likes to be in control.”

“And he clearly understands evidence gathering,” Gartner looked over the report again.

“We need to check through the files,” Montoya rose and pulled off his jacket. He started to roll up his sleeves. “You go to the deli on the corner and arrange for a steady stream of hot coffee. Looks like we got a long day ahead of us.”

Sunday April 19th

“Where the fuck have you been?” Barry Drake demanded as his wife walked through the front door a little before noon.

“Maria’s,” Liz stifled a yawn. “I’m really sorry. We got to talking and…”

Liz had spent all night with her best friend. Barry had not answered his phone, neither had he checked his text messages, it seemed.

“Talking?” he sneered. “Yeah. Is that what they call it, now? It’s bad enough you hanging out with that slut, DeLuca. But do you have to copy her, too? Who was he? Who have you been with?”

Liz looked at him, her eyes bulging.

“Are you suggesting I would…” her anger was burning hot. “Don’t you trust me?”

“I don’t know,” he thrust a magazine at her. “Do I?”

Liz took the magazine and shook her head in disgust. The front page was a picture of her talking with Alex in the restaurant. The headline screamed ‘Elizabeth’s Mystery Date’.

“You can’t be serious,” Liz threw the magazine at him. “He’s an old friend, Barry. He’s going to be my new lawyer. We had dinner. I told you all about it!”

“It’s bad enough that all the guys on the team lust after you, Liz!” he spat. “All that ‘man, what I’d do to your wife in bed’. But to have your behavior plastered all over the press! I don’t like you hanging out with that DeLuca, slutting around like a couple of ally cats,” he spat. “Look at that punk she fucks around with. Can you say loser?”

“Michael is not a lo…”

“Don’t think I can’t find out what you were up to,” he warned. “Don’t think that just ‘cause you’re Elizabeth Parker, hotshot starlet, whoever you spread your thighs for isn’t gonna go running to the papers.”

“You’re drunk!” Liz suddenly realized.

“What of it?” Barry demanded. “Maybe it’s time you remembered that you’re my wife.”

“And maybe it’s time you remembered that you’re supposed to be my husband!” Liz bit angrily.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing,” Liz shook her head and started to walk away.

“I said what’s that supposed to mean?” he demanded again, reaching out and grabbing her arm.

He pulled hard, dragging her off balance and she fell awkwardly. Her face collided against one of the pillars, the edge of a lightening bolt catching her high on her cheek. She couldn’t help her shriek of pain.

“Shit, Liz!” Barry cried out, kneeling down to gather her into his arms.

His whole demeanor changed.

“Let me go!” she started to pound on his chest.

She was crying.

“No,” he shook his head, holding her trembling body to his.

“Let me go,” she whimpered, quieting down.

He held her until she stopped sobbing, only her shaking shoulders and a soft whimpering giving evidence that something bad had happened.

“I’m so sorry, Babe,” he leaned back a little bit to have a look at her. There was a large red mark beneath her eye, which made him wince in silence. Fortunately, there was no puncture there, no open wound. “Are you all right now?”

“Yeah,” she nodded with a sniff.

“Let me take a look,” he whispered with a tender regard.

He loosened his grip and moved her back so he could take a better look at her.

“It doesn’t look too ba…”

Free from his grip, Liz rolled away quickly, climbed to her feet and bolted up the stairs.

“Liz!” Barry cried out, forlornly. “Liz!”

He was almost whining.

Sunday April 19th

“I thought she’d never leave,” Michael joked as he joined Maria out in her favorite corner of the garden.

Staring at the trees, Maria didn’t even acknowledge his presence.

“Hello,” he waved his hand in front of her face. “Neglected boyfriend here.”

“What?” Maria blinked. “Michael? What?”

“You okay?” he frowned.

“I…” she looked up at him. “I’m not sure.”

“What’s up?” Michael frowned. “You never came up last night. I wondered what was going on.”

“Liz,” Maria stretched herself. “She only just left. We were up all night, talking.”

“Must have been heavy,” Michael smirked. “Want me to call for some coffee?”

“Not just yet,” Maria shook her head. “Liz told me some things… I’m trying to process.”

“Oh,” Michael rolled his eyes. “Liz problems. Can’t help you there, sorry.”

“Well,” Maria frowned. “Actually… I think they might be your problems, too.”

Michael stared at her for a moment.

“Maria,” he hedged. “You know, if she accused me of trying something, you know I would never…”

“What?” Maria blinked. “What? No! No! Uh, listen. You’d better sit down.”

“Sitting down,” Michael did not look any less worried. “What did she say that’s got you like this?”

“You came out of your pods, you were six, right?”

“Right,” Michael nodded.

“Max and Isabel… the Evans found them right way, right? And they adopted them. And you got taken into care and ended up with Hank.”

“Yeah,” Michael nodded. “What’s this got to do with…”

“Diane and Philip kept Max and Iz from school until they thought they were able to cope, right? You know, speaking English, toilet trained, able to interact with other… well, Iz, anyway.” She smirked. “Sometimes, I think Max isn’t completely toilet trained.”

“Is there a point here, Maria?”

“Uh, yeah,” she nodded. “Sorry. Anyway, they were eight, right? And they joined us at the start of third grade. You didn’t arrive until the next year.”

“That’s right,” Michael nodded. “Hank was working over in Corona which was where they took me after I was found. He lost his job there and moved to work in the Cheese Factory… which didn’t last long because by then he was on his way to becoming an alcoholic. Maria, where are we going with this?”

“Okay. That summer, between grades two and three, my best friend who used to live in Roswell, moved away to Seattle, Washington.”

“Right,” Michael nodded. “Liz. Not exactly new information here, Maria.”

“Michael,” she huffed with impatience. “I have a lot of information to get out here, and you’d better damn well listen!”

“Fine,” he shrugged.

“Okay, Jeff Parker, Liz’s dad, he ran the best diner in town. The Crashdown. No, Michael, it was. I know it was just a run down tourist trap by the time you guys were interested in hanging out around diners… but trust me. It used to be the best. Now, this dude turns up and offers to trade his diner in Seattle for the Crash. Plus money. He gave Jeff a business worth twice the Crashdown AND twenty five thousand dollars, cash, which was a lot of money back then, in exchange for the Crash. He said that he needed to be in Roswell.”

“I still don’t see how this affects me, Maria,” Michael shook his head.

“The man’s name was Ed Harding.”

“What?” Michael gasped, rising from his seat. “How come you never mentioned this when Ed Harding was helping to integrate that bitch, Tess into our midst?”

“Because I only found out last night,” Maria snapped. “But you see the implication, right?”

“Nacedo told us he couldn’t find us,” Michael nodded. “That it wasn’t until I sent that signal that he’d found us.”

“Right,” Maria nodded. “But he must have known all along where you were. But what I don’t get is why buy the Crashdown? He could have moved in anywhere. Why buy anything at all? It wasn’t like he ran the damned thing. He put in that lazy assed X-File freak, Larry something-or-other and let him run the place into the ground. But that’s not all.”

“What else?”

“It was Liz that got Max fired.”

“What?”

“God, Michael,” Maria rolled her eyes. “If all you’re going to do is jump up and down shouting what every time I tell you something, we’re gonna be out here all day.”

“And?” he raised an eyebrow.

Maria was silent for a moment.

“Very funny,” she glared.

“Liz got Max fired? What a bitch. Why did she do that?”

“Because she met Max, before.”

“So?” Michael narrowed his eyes. “Why…”

“She said they kissed. They connected.”

“What?”

“Michael!”

“Sorry,” he replied, a little sheepishly.

“She said it was during the first week of college, at a party. Seems the punch was spiked and Max didn’t realize, ‘cause he never neutralized the alcohol and… well, you know how alcohol affects you. Anyway… Liz was drunk too, and they obviously made out… although I suspect she was a little economical with the truth - because she said she was literally, flying through space. You know, like in the flashes we get when things are… But then he upped and ran out on her before he could explain. She said he broke her heart.”

“That explains why she got him canned, then,” Michael frowned. “But it doesn’t… wait. I thought you told me that Liz was at Washington. Yeah, yeah, she was. Washington State. That’s where her husband went.”

“Uh huh,” Maria nodded, knowing he would get there in a moment.

“But Max went to Miami.”

“Right,” Maria nodded. “Michael, Liz said that if it wasn’t Max, he has a dupe.”

“Shit!” he leapt up again. “That means that Ava lied to us. Rath and Lonnie didn’t kill Zan. He’s still out there.”

“But the thing is,” Maria frowned. “Liz said that Max recognized her, too.”

“Duh,” he rolled his eyes. “Hollywood star?”

“No,” Maria shook her head. “He recognized her as the girl he ran out on.”

“What’s going on?” Michael paced back and forth. “What the fuck is going on? How can Max be in two places at once?”

“We need to call Isabel,” stood up and started to walk toward the house. “I think that abyss has just opened up again.”

Last edited by WR on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 8

Post by WR »

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I missed last week but we made a Weekend out of the University visit. I didn't get home until late sunday night and was too tired to post. I intended to update on Monday but I started to read The Hunger Games and kind of got caught up in that. Anyway, I finished the trilogy last night and now am ready to continue posting. :)

nitpick23 - We get some answers tonight. Not necessarily what Ed Harding was playing at, though.

HypnotiqueBlueEyes - Yes, Barry is definbately a suspect ;)

eririn - Liz is catholic and very traditional. Yes, she could get a divorce but she would feel... You kknow what? Maria explains it much better. ;)

begonia9508 - I'm not playing with timelines in this story. And no, no dupe Liz ;)
Oh, a guess to the motive for the murders, huh? :D

saori_1902 - Hi. Yeah. Michael is a little confused. ;)

mary mary - and tonight they get a few ansers.

keepsmiling7 - She has a lot to say - pratically a synopsis of the last season ;)

Okay, wihtout further adieu...

Chapter 8

Sunday April 19th

Michael and Maria were sitting in the study. Between them, on a small occasional table, lay a circular speaker, attached to a telephone.

“You have to remember,” Isabel’s voice emerged from the speaker, “that this all took place from the time of ‘Billy’.”

Billy was the euphemism that they now used to talk about a particularly low point in Michael and Maria’s relationship. Billy was an old friend of Maria’s from Band Camp. He had been her first boyfriend, her first kiss. When he blew into town on a mission to win his first love back, Maria had been overwhelmed with sentiment. He was full of ideas of making it big; of aiming for the big time. He had wanted them to make a demo disc and send it to the music moguls. Unable to decide for sure where her future lay, Maria had broken up with Michael. Both boys had assumed it was so that she could be with Billy and neither had acquitted themselves well. It was only when Billy tried to force the issue that Maria told him that it was time to leave.

‘Am I going alone?” he asked, his heart breaking.

‘Yeah,’ Maria had nodded. ‘Yeah, you are. Goodbye Billy.’

“And then right after that,” Isabel continued, “there was the whole Clayton Wheeler issue with us thinking Max was dead and me getting shot…”

“And right after that,” Maria continued, “we had that whole situation with the crash out in the desert and the Air Force and Tess coming back trying to make us believe that the baby she brought with her was Max’s son.”

“Which of course, he wasn’t, only we never knew that until later.”

“Then Max and I rescued that pilot, Griffin,” Michael nodded. “And Tess blew up the base. Herself, too.”

“Good riddance,” Maria shook her head.

“Right on top of my mom and dad finding out…” Isabel whispered. It had been a tough few months. Their worst. “And the whole final confrontation with the FBI. That was when that woman asked Maria to visit New York and make a demo.”

“Right,” Maria nodded. “I was gone straight after graduation. I couldn’t wait to leave the infamous abyss behind me.”

“And while all that was going on, Max was trying to decide which college to go to,” Isabel sighed, “and he had no one to help him decide. You were in New York, Michael was living in his apartment talking to no one, convinced that you were gone for good. Me and Jesse were rebuilding our marriage which, thank heavens, worked out okay. But Max had no one. We kind of left him on his own and he had to make his choice by himself.”

“So he chose Miami,” Michael shrugged.

“No, Michael,” Isabel told them. “He chose Washington.”

“What?” the young couple squealed.

“He went to Washington, first. But something happened. Something he wouldn’t tell me about. Whatever it was, it upset him pretty bad. So bad, I went up to visit with him. In fact, he transferred to Miami only a few days after I left. He said something about it being the furthest college away from Washington that he could get to and still be in the US.”

Sunday April 19th

“I know what we need to do,” Isabel stated.

Maria had brought them up to date with Liz’s explanation about what had happened to Max at Washington.

“What’s that?” Maria wondered.

“Yeah,” Michael nodded in understanding. “I think you might be right.”

“What?” demanded Maria.

“If Max somehow connected with her,” Isabel said in a matter-of-fact voice, “then we need to set them up together. So she can complete him. And him, her.”

“No way,” Maria shook her head. “Look, guys. I know you want Max to be happy. Hell’s teeth, heaven knows I do too. But trying to set him up with Liz, trying to force them together is so not going to work.”

“That doesn’t sound like the Maria I know,” Isabel complained over the speakerphone.

“Why won’t it work?” Michael demanded, sounding more than a little peeved.

“Because Liz is married,” Maria reminded them. “It might not be a relationship like either of ours, but Liz believes in the sanctity of marriage. Divorce is not an option for her. I know you two don’t fully understand the concept of religion, but trust me. If we manipulate Liz into making the decision to divorce Barry, then she’s never going to be comfortable with Max, let alone anyone else. She’ll always have all this guilt tripping her up. And we all know Max would never try and break up someone’s marriage, no matter how much he might be in love with her. And note that I said might. God knows what goes through the mind of a drunken alien. For all we know, he might have only connected with her just because she was ‘available’ if you know what I mean. Come on, guys, he did run away from her, right?”

“So what are you saying?” Isabel did not sound happy. “That we leave Max feeling like he’s worthless? Empty? Alone? Where does that leave him?”

“I’m not saying that,” Maria shook her head. “All I’m saying is, let’s not force the issue. But! Let’s get Max back to LA so that he’s in close proximity to Liz. Look, she’s my friend. He’s my friend. Their paths are sure to cross sooner or later. And if you’re right about the connection, then… well, let’s just say that we know how around you guys, things have a habit of taking care of themselves.”

“What do you have in mind?” Michael narrowed his eyes. “Max won’t come back unless he has a job. It’s going to have to be something special to make him come back here.”

“Then I guess it’s up to me to find him one,” Maria smirked.

Sunday April 19th

“Liz, baby,” Barry called from outside the locked bedroom door. “C’mon, babe. Talk to me.”

There was no reply from behind the door. Barry had been sitting there for half an hour, calling out to his wife, begging for her forgiveness.

“I said I was sorry,” he whined. “Talk to me sweetheart.”

There was still no reply. He waited for a few moments, his ragged breath sawing in and out from his chest. His knees were drawn up, his hands linked together, holding his knees to his chest. He had his head tilted back, leaning against the wall.

“I’ll never forget that first day I saw you,” he stared up at the ceiling. “A few weeks into that first semester. You seemed so sad, so lost. I started talking to you but you wouldn’t give me the time of day. I really wanted to get to know you, you know? For three mornings, I waited by that place, hoping to see you again. And finally, there you were. Still looking sad, still looking lost.”

His eyes glazed over as his mind went back in time.

“I started talking to you again, only this time, you at least responded, if only a little hesitantly. We must have talked for… like five minutes and… I remember this like it was yesterday. It was almost like you had this… I don’t know. What’s the word for a life changing vision? Oh yeah, an epiphany. You looked like you were looking right through me, as if I didn’t even exist. And then your eyes suddenly widened and then you looked so… angry. So… hurt. And before I knew it, there you were. Talking with me, smiling at me… and… falling in love with me. It was breathtaking, Liz. Breathtaking. I kind of took a chance and asked you out on a date. I wouldn’t change a thing, Liz. The time we’ve had… It’s been magic. And… I don’t know. I guess that I’m jealous that you have such a great relationship with that Maria. Jealous because she seems to know you better than I do. I know sometimes it seems hard, Liz. But it’s hard for me too, you know? I love you, Liz. And this… problem makes it worse. You don’t know how much I love you and how much that frustrates me. ‘Cause you and me? We’re soul mates.”

The door cracked open and Liz, her face streaked with tears, crawled from behind the door. She had been sitting on the floor, just the other side. Her face was starting to turn an ugly shade of purple.

“You hurt me,” she whimpered.

“I know,” he swept her into his arms. “And I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.”

“You need to get some help,” Liz sniffed.

“I will,” he stroked her hair as her head lay against his chest. “I’ll never hurt you again.”

“I mean it,” she spoke louder. “Not just with… your anger management, but with… you know, too.”

“I will.”

“Promise me, Barry. Promise me you are not still taking that stuff.”

“I promise you, babe,” he nodded. “On my honor. It’s all gone. Every last bit of it. I haven’t used it since the Doc found out. I only tried it because I wanted to see if it would help with my recovery. Someone suggested that it was good for helping to rebuild damaged tissue.”

“I do love you too, you know,” she mumbled. “It’s just, sometimes… you make it really difficult.”

“I know,” he soothed. “I know.”

Sunday April 19th

“Nothing,” Gartner leaned back in his seat and stretched. “We’ve been going through these files for ten hours and not a goddamned thing.”

“I really thought…” Montoya shook his head.

“Maybe…” Gartner looked away in thought. “Maybe he’s only recently moved to this area. Maybe he’s from out of town.”

“Maybe,” Montoya agreed. “First thing tomorrow, I want an FBI profiler brought in. And let’s make some enquiries on a federal level. See if there are any similar cases anywhere else in the country.”

“Right,” Gartner nodded. “I want to catch this guy, Roy. I want him locked up where he can’t hurt any more women. Have you noticed that there’s no sign of a struggle? And the report doesn’t mention any substance or alcohol abuse. So these girls… they don’t put up a fight. How do you slit a girl’s throat and then stab her to death without her putting up a fight?

“They trust him,” Montoya nodded his agreement at Gartner’s sentiment. “He builds up trust. Either that, or he has some power to control them.”

Monday April 20th

Forty was stretching out before him. With the wind in his hair and the sun on his back, Max was making good time. He had just passed through Albuquerque; he would soon turn off the highway and head south, toward Roswell. He was perhaps, four hours or so away. San Diego, Los Angeles and everything else was behind him. More than one thousand miles behind. It had been a long drive; Max would never have said that it was worth it, but it had been long. Longer, in many ways than his cross-country trek from Miami to LA only a week before. It would have been much faster to fly.

Driving everywhere was something that Max did. He would never fly. Not again. Back in the days when he had been so tied in knots by Tess and her announcement that she was going back to Antar, taking Max’s son with her, he had moved heaven and earth to find a way to go after her, to rescue his son. He had even managed to locate the last surviving member of the original team, the last protector. This protector not only knew where their crashed ship was, he had the crystal necessary to power it and the knowledge to fly it.

In his desperation, Max had ordered him to fly it, to take him home to Antar. To his son. The ship, however, was too badly damaged and had crashed in the hills shortly after take off. The crash killed the last protector and Max himself sustained serious injuries. Injuries that forced him to hide for a week, evading the clean up teams that had come to investigate and another two weeks of hiding before he could heal himself correctly.

No amount of healing could salve his guilty conscience, however. His actions had been the direct cause of another being’s death. A being whose only crime was a simple case of dereliction of duty. Max had become his own worst nightmare; a monster. A tyrant. The result of this saga was that Max now held an extraordinary fear of flying. He now drove everywhere. And right now, he was driving home. Or rather, as much of a home as anywhere else might be called such.

For many, Max realized, home was where the heart was. For him, it seemed that his home was where the Granolith was.

Monday April 20th

Liz was sitting at a table in the draft of an opened window. Of all the rooms in this house, Liz liked this room the best. The house was Barry’s choice, he had bought it with his money from his football contract. It didn’t really suit Liz’s well ordered style, but this was their home.

“Elizabeth?” a young woman stepped up into the room.

Liz was wearing a oversized pair of aviator sunglasses and a San Diego Chargers hat pulled down low over her face. It helped to hide the inordinate amount of foundation that she had used to try and mask the bruise that had turned an ugly mottled black and blue over night. In front of her, she cradled a mug of hot, sweet tea. She was reading her copy of the script. Although filming hadn’t officially started, yet, Langly liked the actors to familiarize themselves with the script.

“Yes, Abby?” Liz hardly glanced upward. “What is it?”

Abby was Liz’s personal assistant. She relied on her to help her during the normal course of a day, fielding telephone calls and taking messages. Liz had two phones. One, her own, only four people had her number. Well, five if you consider that one of them was Maria and therefore, by definition, Michael knew it too. The other was her manager and of course, the third was her husband and the fourth, her mother. Everyone else had to call the phone that Abby looked after. And Abby would only ever interrupt Liz for the important calls. All the other’s, she left as messages for Liz to deal with at the end of the day – or to ignore.

“I have Terrence Addison on the line for you,” she stepped into the room and approached the table. “He says it’s urgent. He needs to confirm the details about your Premiere for ‘Nancy’ on Saturday night.”

Abby liked working for Elizabeth Parker. When things went wrong, Elizabeth never took it out on her. Her boss never made impossible demands, like strange sounding types of mineral water that can only be bought from a certain store on the east coast and it was already two a.m. over there. Neither did Elizabeth take out her home problems on her. It was obvious to Abby that Elizabeth was hiding a shiner, that she was upset, but she had not taken that out on Abby. So Abby had no worries about interrupting her boss because the producer who gave Liz her break needed to talk to her.

“Hi, Terrence,” Liz’s voice sounded far more cheerful than it should have been. “What can I do for you?”

Monday April 20th

“Excuse me, Miss?” Carl had drawn the Chelsea Howard straw. He had spent the whole day, pounding the streets, talking to anyone in the neighborhood who might have known the girl. She was well known enough, it just seemed no one knew her, enough. “I’m Detective Carl Gartner. I’m investigating the homicide of a Chelsea Howard.”

He showed her his badge and a photograph of Chelsea he had obtained from the Seven Eleven where she worked.

“Did you know her?”

“Sure,” the young woman nodded. “We go way back. We were friends. Not best friends or nothing. Good friends, though.”

“Did she have any boyfriends? Or was she hanging out with anyone new?”

“Boyfriends?” the woman smiled. “Sure. But serious ones? Nah. I know she had someone new in her life, though. She kept on saying how she thinks she might have found her ticket out of here.”

“Oh?” Cartner raised an eyebrow. “In what way? Did she say?”

“No, but that’s friend-speak for I found a guy with money who’s going to take me away from all this.”

“Any idea where they might have met?”

“Work, prob’ly,” the girl shrugged. “At the Seven Eleven here in La Mesa. Could have been someone passing through, I guess. They get a lot of custom from sales reps and business people who stay in the motels up there.”

“Oh?” Gartner scribbled down a note. “Why would you say that?”

“She was always complaining how the tourists come in and think maybe she might sleep with ‘em for a couple of bucks.”

“You don’t think she was turning tricks, do you?” Gartner looked up.

“Nah,” she shook her head. “Not Chelsea. No, if she was thinking that, he must have been… you know, different. Special.”

“Did she ever describe him to you? Show you a picture?”

“Nuh uh,” her head indicated no again. “Saw him once, though. At least, I think it might have been him.”

“Can you give me a description?” Gartner’s heart raced.

“Uh huh,” she nodded. “Never saw his face. He was tall. Uh, short dark hair. Oh, and he was fit. I mean, this guy was an athlete or something. Or maybe he just worked out. But the damdest thing… he was trying hard not to be noticed.”

Last edited by WR on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Blue Murder (AU CC Mature) Part 9

Post by WR »

Hi Everyone!

Did you all have a great spring holiday? Did you know that the Chunese have a Tomb Cleaning holiday while we have Easter. How cool is that? And spooky!

keepsmiling7 - I think we can safely say that Maria will get Max back into the fold. The problem is, what jib will she find for him?

eririn - Maria will make it happen ;) It might interest you to know that my eldest daughter is currently in her third (of six) year studying Vetrinary Medicane at the Royal Vetrinary College in London. Youngets daughter Univerity visits are happening now for her to go in September 2014.

Natalie36 - I think some plans are in motion. And when they do come together...

saori_1902 - I think that's the general concensus :)

MP - A connection was formed but not a total bonding.

Smac - Hi sherrie. Yeah, I got called out of retirement ;) It's just to finish this story though. Feel up to some beta-ing for me?

dreamon - I seem to recal that Cahpter 20 will be the first of the 'new' parts.

clueless - duly noted ;)

HypnotiqueBlueEyes - Thanks,

Chapter 9

Tuesday April 21st

Her hair still damp from her rigorous daily routine of swimming, her favorite way of keeping in shape, Liz was sitting in the kitchen in a toweling dressing gown. She was never really a breakfast person but she knew the importance of the meal. As a concession to her mother’s constant badgering when she was a teenager, Liz made sure that at the very least, she had a croissant – with butter and orange marmalade – and a cup of hot tea. Her favorite was Earl Gray - imported from England - laced with lemon juice. She loved the smell of the bergamot oil. Her mind was a million miles away as she stared into space. That space was currently the entrance to the kitchen.

Breathing heavily, sweat literally pouring from his body, Barry suddenly filled that space. He paused and looked at his wife. He wore a gray ‘Muscleman’ exercise vest and a pair of tight, gray shorts.

“See something you like?” he grinned as he struck a traditional he-man pose.

“Hmmm?” she blinked, seeing him now. “Oh, yeah,” she nodded, not really sure what she was agreeing to but knowing that her answer made him happy.”

“I’m feeling pre-ty good today,” he grinned, sitting on a stool across from her. “After my workout, we could maybe get a little one on one workout of our own.”

“Sure,” Liz nodded, sipping her tea. “But I need to get back to my script, soon.”

“Right,” he nodded. “Right.”

“How’s your cheek?” he nodded toward her face.

“Hurts like hell,” she told him, her eyes looking away.

“Has anyone seen it?” he sounded a little sheepish.

“No,” Liz shook her head. “I covered it with makeup.”

“And that works?” he sounded doubtful. “I mean… that looks pretty raw.”

“Oh, listen,” Liz placed the cup down on the saucer in front of her. She sat more upright. “Terrence Addison from the ‘Nancy’ production team called me yesterday.”

“What did he want?” Barry sounded annoyed.

“He was just checking that we were both going to the Premiere on Saturday night,” Liz ignored his bout of jealousy.

Barry had caught Terrence making a pass at Liz. A pass that Liz had found very unwelcome. Barry had reacted before Liz had her own chance to put him down.

“Why?” he grunted. “So he can hit on you again?”

“Nothing would have happened,” Liz sighed. “Anyway, I told him that yes, we would be there.”

“Sorry, babe,” Barry shook his head. “We can’t go.”

“What do you mean,” Liz narrowed her eyes. “‘We’ can’t go?”

“What I said,” he shrugged. “I have an ‘Organized Team Activity’ on Saturday. Meet and greet the new members of the team. I’ll be away till noon Sunday.”

“But why do you need to go?” Liz frowned. “It’s not like you’ll be playing at the start of the season. You’ll have plenty of time to get to know the rookies.”

“I’m still a part of the damn team, Liz!” Barry slapped the table with his hand, making Liz jump. “So I’m going.”

“Fine,” Liz recovered. “You go to your meeting. I’ll go to my premier. And don’t even think about telling me not to go. I am going and that’s final. I think you might even find that if I don’t, I’ll be in breach of the contract Aldus failed to check properly.”

“Fine,” Barry spat. “Go. See if I care. You know everyone’s going to laugh when you turn up alone.”

“I won’t be going alone,” Liz shook her head. “I think I’ll ask Alex to go with me.”

“Alex?” Barry frowned. “The geek who kept asking you out all those times? The one you were plastered in the papers with?”

“The very same,” Liz smirked. “Only he’s not such a geek anymore. He’s been working out.”

“Really,” Barry’s response was dry. “Well, you‘re not going with him. I took enough shit over that.”

“Okay,” Liz waved a hand in the air. “Then, I’ll take Michael.”

“You will not!” Barry spat. “Fucking pervert will be trying to make the moves on you all night!”

“Fine!” Liz gave him an icy stare. “Then I’ll ask Kyle Valenti.”

Kyle had been quoted in the papers, saying how he planned to seduce Elizabeth, just like every other leading lady he had been with so far. Liz’s response had been ‘as long as his failure doesn’t affect our working relationship, he can say whatever he wants. But it’s not going to happen.’

“Over my dead body!” Barry roared standing up and raising his fist.

“Are you going to hit me, again?” In spite of her bravado, Liz couldn’t hide the fearful wavering in her voice.

Barry said nothing, sitting back down and dropping his hand.

“You know what?” Liz rose and started to leave the kitchen. “You choose which one of those three you would prefer me to take. Because I ‘am’ going to my premier and I ‘am’ taking someone with me. And if your ego can’t handle it, well, that’s too bad.”

Wednesday April 22nd

“Elizabeth Parker’s phone,” Abby almost sang into the cell phone. “Oh! Oh, hi, Mr. Morrisy. I’ll find out for you. Hold the line, please.”

She pressed a button on the phone and looked across the table at her friend who was currently leafing through a fashion magazine.

“Elizabeth,” she interrupted her boss. “I have Martin Morrisy from ‘Santa Monica Boulevard’ on the line. He wants to talk to you. He says it’s urgent.”

“Dammit, Abby,” Liz snapped, looking up with a glare. She sounded cross. “People are learning that you will come to me if they tell you ‘it’s urgent’. The whole point of you being here is to take messages and not let these people pester me when I’m busy!”

“Oh,” Abby blushed. “I’m sorry. I thought…”

“It’s simple, really,” she huffed. “It’s never urgent, okay? Take a message. If it really was urgent, they would have contacted me earlier. Like yesterday. They know how the system works. Or how it’s supposed to work. Got it?”

“I’m sorry, Elizabeth,” she sounded contrite. “Uh, shall I tell him you’re busy?”

“No,” Liz sighed. “Pass me the damn phone. Hello, Martin. What can I do for you?”

Liz sounded as though nothing had happened, like all was sweetness and light.

Thursday April 23rd

Diane Evans stood over the kitchen sink, looking through the window at her son, who was shooting hoops on the driveway. She was worried about him. Always a loner, just lately, he had descended into a fit of depression that she was starting to fear would never be broken. While she had liked Debra – she was a lovely young woman - even Diane could see that there was nothing there. No spark, no current, no… connection. It had been a miracle that Max had started to date at all, let alone the fact that after six months he had finally asked her to marry him. She understood the reason for the failure, of course, how hard it must be to share that one secret about yourself that defines your whole being. She understood how scary it must be to confess to someone that you are different to them in ways they would find hard to comprehend. There were not enough films that showed aliens as anything other than viscous warmongering monsters. Diane had always thought that he would end up as he had grown up. Sad and alone. And now, it looked even more likely.

The telephone started to ring, pulling Diane from her thoughts. Wiping her hands on a towel, she glanced over her shoulder at the phone, hanging on the kitchen wall across the room. With half an eye on Max, she moved toward it.

“Hello?” she held the handset to her ear. “Diane Evans speaking. Oh, Hi, Philip. Yes. Yes he is. Did you want a word with him? Oh. Okay. No, he’s playing basketball out on the drive. You want to see him right away? I’ll get him to clean up first. Okay, Philip. He’ll be there in half an hour. See you later.” She started to smile, her voice mellowing. “Love you too.”

After hanging up, Diane walked to the back door and pulled it open.

“Max,” she called out. “Do you want to come in and get yourself cleaned up? Your father wants to see you in his office.”

“Come in, Max,” Philip looked up from the document he was working on and indicated one of his comfortable ‘client’ chairs.

As soon as Max was sitting, Philip moved from behind his desk to take another one of the more comfortable seats. It was a move that Max recognized, a move to make sure that Philip’s client was feeling less threatened. Less formal. It encouraged, Philip had said, a more open dialogue.

“What’s up, Dad,” Max watched his father carefully.

The last time they had talked like this, his father was in the process of investigating him, trying to uncover the secret that was making his son do very questionable things. Now, of course, Philip knew the truth but this did not help put Max at ease at all. His cautiousness had been too ingrained into him.

“For the last couple of years,” Philip started, “I’ve been looking after this particular client whose needs are, quite frankly, becoming more than I can handle. The workload that gets generated is big and complicated. In fact, my other clients, people who I have represented for as long as I have been in practice, here in Roswell are starting to get… neglected. That’s not a situation I can tolerate.”

“Dad,” Max started.

He had been dreading the ‘I’d like you to come and work for me’ talk ever since he had returned to Roswell.

“Let me finish, son,” Philip held up his hand. “Now, I could easily take on a new associate. I mean, it would be such a thrill to add the term ‘and son’ to my company name, but I know that’s not where you see yourself. Maybe one day… My other option is that I could refer some of my clients to other practices and concentrate on this one client – Lord knows it’s profitable enough. But I won’t do that. These people are my friends and I owe it to them to keep looking after them. Or, I could send this particular client to someone else. A stranger, and trust me. That is not an option at all. So that leaves option four.”

“Option four?” Max raised an eyebrow. He knew that option four would involve him.

“Option four,” Philip nodded. “I’d like you to take over this client for me. It would be doing me a really big favor and I can sleep soundly at night knowing that this client is getting better representation because you can dedicate more time than I can.”

“Sure, Dad,” Max nodded with a smile. Maybe this could help keep his mind occupied while he struggled with his demons here in Roswell.

“Here’s the file, son,” Philip reached behind him and handed Max three box folders, each one three inches deep.

Max raised an eyebrow.

“I suggest that you pop over to see your new client for a familiarization meeting. As much as your Mom and I like having you around, it might be easier for all parties if you would consider relocating.”

Max lifted up the top box folder and popped the catch, opening it. His jaw dropped as he read the client’s details.

“Maria?” he looked up.

“Yeah,” Philip nodded, leaning forward to pat his son’s knee. “Her business is too fast for me, Max. I can’t keep up with the new jargon and some of these music moguls employ young whizz kids that just leave me… baffled. I really think she would benefit from a younger lawyer and we both know that there are any number of reasons why we would rather have one of us looking after her than a stranger. Maria is family, Max.”

“I…” Max stammered. “I don’t know what to say.”

“How about,” Philip handed him a cell phone. “Hi Maria, I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon.”

Friday April 24th

“I need a really big favor,” Liz explained to Maria as they sat in the mid morning sun. “You know I fired Aldus, right? And I haven’t signed with Alex Whitman yet.”

“You haven’t?” Maria blinked.

“No, uh… Okay… Martin Morrisy from Santa Monica Boulevard called me and… well, it seems that one of the actresses broke her ankle, okay? And she was supposed to do this spot as a guest speaker at ‘SanMonCon’. Only now she can’t make it and Martin asked me if I could step into the breach.”

“Uh,” Maria frowned. “What’s ‘SanMonCon’?”

“Santa Monica Convention,” Liz stressed the first part of each word. “They take over this whole hotel downtown and the fans of the show buy tickets to come and listen to guest speakers. They get the chance to meet and talk to the actors and actresses and the production team, as well as each other. They have these web sites where they keep in touch and they all know each other and love getting together and talking to the cast and crew. Anyway, it lasts for three days and goes on to the early evening and…”

“Sounds like… fun,” Maria shrugged.

“I’ve never done one before,” Liz shook her head. “And Martin says that the fans still talk about Veronica all the time and so he thought I would be an excellent last minute replacement. Kind of a surprise for them. Anyway, he sent me over the contract his morning and while it looks okay, I’d kind of feel like it would be a good idea if I could get a lawyer to take a professional look at it. So I was wondering. Could I get your lawyer to take a look at it for me?”

“Well,” Maria was suddenly uncomfortable. “Ordinarily, you know I wouldn’t mind at all, Liz. But I’ve kind of changed lawyers, myself.”

“Oh,” Liz was surprised. “You mean, you let Philip go? You always told me he was the best.”

“Oh, he is,” Maria nodded. “Only… he’s getting on in years now and I guess my career is getting too much for him or something, so I’ve changed to someone younger who Philip says will be even better.”

“God, Maria,” Liz shook her head. “You always told me that Philip was almost like the father you never had. Who on earth could possibly replace him?”

“Uh,” Maria squirmed. “His son.”

“Would he take a look at it for me, do you think?”

“Liz…” Maria took a deep breath. “It’s Max.”

Liz was quiet for a long time.

“Oh,” she whispered, her eyes showing a flash of pain. “Oh, okay, well…” Liz started to rise. “I guess I better stop procrastinating. I should get over to Alex’s before he closes. Now’s as good a time as any to get this over with.”

“Okay,” Maria smiled as she walked with Liz to the front of the house. “You take care, yeah? And stay away from those pillars! I don’t want you tripping and falling against them any more.”

Friday April 24th

“Hi, Alex,” Liz entered the offices of Whitman and Rogers through the revolving doors to find Alex standing by the empty reception desk. “Sorry I’m a little late. Thanks for waiting.”

“Anytime, Liz,” Alex walked across to meet her halfway and enfolded her in his arms. “I would wait for all eternity for you.”

As Alex leaned in to give Liz a kiss, she turned away slightly, offering her cheek; the one that wasn’t covered by a thick coat of foundation. While Alex kissed her good cheek, Liz kissed the empty air beside his face.

“So, uh,” Alex pulled away a little awkwardly. “To what do I owe this pleasure?”

“Are you still willing to represent me, Alex?” Liz bit her bottom lip.

“Yes!” Alex nodded emphatically. “Absolutely.”

“Well, in that case,” she smiled. “Where do I sign?”

“I was hoping that this was why you contacted me,” Alex placed one hand on the small of her back, gently guiding her toward the hallway that led to the meeting rooms. His other hand indicated the way. “So I kind of got everything ready. Just in case.”

Liz allowed Alex to lead her to the office where a large, buff envelope lay on the table. Two chairs had been pulled out slightly.

“Allow me,” Alex lifted one chair back for Liz to sit down.

“Thank you,” she smiled as she sat.

Alex hurried to the chair next to her and pulled the envelope toward him. Opening it, he took out two contracts. One, he handed to Liz while he kept the other for himself.

“It’s pretty much a standard contract, Liz,” he informed her. “Basically, we are agreeing to act on your behalf while you agree to allow us to do so. We both have a three-month trial period in which either one of us can terminate this contract at any time during. After the first three months, if we want to terminate it, we have to give three months notice. If you look at appendix C, it lists the default payments if either of us breaks that notice period. This section here shows you…”

Liz tried to pay attention but it was all gobbledygook to her. In the end, she signed the contract only because she knew Alex and could trust him. After all, they had been best friends since third grade.

“Great,” Alex signed the last copy and handed it to Liz. “Looks like we’re in business together.”

“Wonderful,” Liz smiled. “I’m glad you’re representing me Alex. It means a lot to have someone I know and trust looking after me. I mean, Maria has always had someone like that and she’s never had any problems.”

“Maria?” Alex raised an eyebrow. “As in Maria DeLuca? You know her?”

“Yeah,” Liz smiled. “She’s my other best friend. I’ve known her since we were babies.”

“Wow,” Alex nodded. “I’m a huge fan, Liz. Uh, is there any way you could persuade her to join us, like you did?”

“Probably not,” Liz shook her head. “The person representing her has known her almost as long as I have. Old family friend.”

“Right,” he nodded. “Oh well. But if she ever changes her mind…”

“I’ll tell you what, though,” Liz grinned. “It’s her birthday on Sunday. I’ll arrange to send you an invite. Plus one?”

“You’d do that?” his eyebrows raised. “And uh, no. No plus one, I’m afraid. I just haven’t met anyone good enough for me.”

“Oh, well,” Liz smiled. “That makes my next question easier, then. Alex, Barry has to go away tomorrow night and it seems that I need a date for my premier.”

Alex just about thought that he had died and gone to heaven.

“Will I get my picture on the front page of Variety, again?” he grinned.

“I expect so,” Liz laughed. “Probably the front page of every damn newspaper in the country, too.”

“I’m in,” he laughed. “What time shall I pick you up.”

“Actually, Alex,” Liz shrugged. “I’ll be the one picking you up.”

Last edited by WR on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.