Shifting Realities (AU,A/I,MATURE) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Mt Gazer
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Shifting Realities (AU,A/I,MATURE) CH 30K 11-25-11 pg 1

Post by Mt Gazer »

These are the fb’s for 30:J.... Yeah surprise, a new piece. 11-25-11

Tharos:
Michael will most definitely being dealing with hurricane DeLuca IF I can figure out how to write it accurately. (I would have tossed it into this part.} Oh how do Alex and Isabel even start talking about this? And I will make my comment to both you and Peter alike...
Well who knows, maybe her brain is trying to tell her something her body already knows - even if she and Alex want to wait, it's time.
and Peter’s
Tharos does make a good point. One of their talents is molecular manipulation. Maybe her womb is cooking something up no matter what any of them want!
As me the author I say to the both of you, If only it were so easy! LOL

PML:
Quadrangles, who would have ever thought? Poor kids, this definitely would drive me mad... especially since they all try to deal with the worst of their problems/thoughts all on their own. They need to just TALK... I know that’s unlikely but it is what is needed.

Mary-Mary/Ginger: I’m glad you enjoyed the chapter. I hope this is enjoyed too.

Keepsmiling/Carolyn:
I feel badly for Isabel too. She is really dealing with some poor health caused by??? And then food smells themselves seem to throw her now too.

To all of you: Thank you so much for your support and continual reading of this story. I love the journey of writing... I am not so fond of the crazy RL that interferes in the midst of it.

Disclaimer: I in no way own the rights to Roswell or anything related to it. All rights belong to Jason Katims, 20th Century Fox, Regency Entertainment, Melinda Metz, WB and UPN. No infringement is intended. I am borrowing their awesome characters, and including my own.

Perhaps in this part and in parts to come I am or will be borrowing some scenes, and I will borrow direct dialog and use altered dialog at times.

Title: Shifting Realities
Author: Mt Gazer/Velvet Skye
Category: CC/ AU
Rating: MATURE- ADULT
Spoilers: Four Square and Max to the Max

And to Randy, my dear husband always behind the scenes, and always an assistant in this. I tell him practically every idea that goes through my head. I LOVE YOU!!! And THANK YOU! As always. Shifting lives because of your support.

PML: Peter. This is a permanent spot in recognition of all your assistance. THANK-YOU!!! Shifting Realities is doing well with your attention to details. Thanks for all the help in this. And you definitely gave me some assistance in places.

And finally I will attempt to recap where we’ve been.

RECAP: Now Sunday, Isabel and Michael talked at length. He thinks she is pregnant, he told her she IS. She is just trying to make sense of everything...

We saw things from Isabel's perspective during that scene, but here is Alex's part, the same time as Michael and Isabel were talking.

Shifting Realities

Chapter 30:K

It Was Only a Dream

Alex walked in and sat at the bar, the very stool Isabel had chosen earlier. ‘Oh this is not good,’ Maria thought to herself. ‘He deserves to know, but how in the world am I supposed to tell him this?’ She busied herself with a customer so as to avoid him just a bit longer.

Liz walked over and started with small talk, asking how he was doing, how was Mass, and if he wanted his usual order.

His answer was eerily similar to Isabel’s earlier one. No he wasn’t hungry, no he didn’t want his usual, and he didn’t plan on being here that long.

“So unless the Evans are here, Isabel is.” He said brightly... “Her mom’s car is out front. So where is she?”

Liz looked over at Maria filling a guest’s drink order. “Alex, I should warn you. It’s a normal day in Roswell. The weather is dry, the social life is dull, and...” Maria came and stood impatiently next to her, tapping her wrist as if she were wearing a watch and indicating she didn’t have time for idle chitchat. Liz scowled at her and continued, “and Maria is still crazy.”

Maria grabbed Liz’s cheeks in her hand, muttered something in Spanish and then kissed her on the cheek, “I might be crazy, but I’m righht, chica. Crazy but right... just remember that.” She added frowning slightly at Alex, as she stepped over to refresh the water glass of one of the patrons.

“If Maria is still crazy,” he added good-naturedly, “what’s she going off on this time?”

Liz rolled her eyes, “Why don’t you be the judge.” And she too quickly went to assist a guest.

An uncertain feeling started to creep into Alex’s gut... something was going on, something his best friends were keeping from him. “What is going on?” He demanded as he swiveled on his feet to watch Maria serving her guests. You’d think it was Rush hour the way they were attending to the very few patrons in the room; one elderly couple and a couple of families. No regulars at least. “Now both of you are refusing to answer me?” he shouted. As he watched them expectantly.

“Shhh, Don’t shout.” Maria came over. She gathered both his hands in hers. “I guess Congratulations are in order Alex... Maybe.”

Liz bit her lower lip. That was a poor way to start, but it was begun, time to watch it play out.

Alex raised a curious brow. “Congratulations on what Maria?” He teased, “My band? We haven’t cut a demo yet...” he chuckled. “My history report? We didn’t get the grades before the holiday and I don’t expect it to be that good... Not after the week I just had...” he fixed her with a forward stare. “So congratulations on what?” He pulled his hands free.

Liz flitted back to stand next to Maria, who was apprehensively shifting her feet. Alex caught the little nuances of nervousness.

Maria blurted out. “Isabel is pregnant. Maybe. Just a little.” Maria giggled nervously.

“WHAT!?” Alex exploded from the bar stool he was perched on. “You either are or you aren’t. There is no such thing as a “little bit” pregnant. This isn’t funny Maria. You need to pick a better joke.”

“Honey. Breathe. We’re not completely sure.” Liz was trying to calm him as he had begun to pace. “But Alex, the symptoms all fit.”

“What symptoms?” He insisted and then with the thought hitting like a sledgehammer in the next second, “Oh hell!” He cussed, panic etched on his face. He whirled to face Liz, rubbing his fingers together. “Let me see your notebook Liz, the one from Friday.”

She raced to her locker, rushing back out to the main dining room.

Growing anxiety gnawed at the young man. “Damn it!” He uttered as he read the entries. He could see Michael’s notes added to it, they had obviously discussed Isabel after he had taken her home. It seemed incontrovertible.

He ran a nervous hand through his hair, “Damn it all to Hell! My mom is going to kill me. Welcome to Siberia.”

Dream Lover by Bobby Darin started to play on the jukebox; one of the elderly patrons was playing it.

Every night I hope and pray
A dream lover will come my way
A girl to hold in my arms
And know the magic of her charms
'Cause I want (yeah-yeah, yeah)
A girl (yeah-yeah, yeah)
To call (yeah-yeah, yeah)
My own (yeah-yeah)
I want a dream lover
So I don't have to dream alone

“Just look at this Liz.” He added in panic... the pages crumpling in his sweaty palms. “Seriously my mom is going to kill me.” His voice was choking up, palpable fear was pouring from the young man. He brought his voice lower, “I mean we haven’t, not completely... not even in a dream but still, its just like I said on Friday when you showed me this book. I don’t know...”

“Alex?” Maria held him in a hug for a few seconds as he regained his composure.

He pulled from the embrace. “Is Isabel ok?” He looked deeply into Liz’s face, his hands on her shoulders. “Is she resting in your room Liz? Is she feeling alright?” The questions and thoughts fired like an automatic machine gun.

“This has happened before, to other people. I can do this.” He tried to calm himself to rationalize. “I never expected to become a father at 16, but I can do this. My mom is just going to have to suck it up; she’s going to have to understand.” He nodded as he talked to himself pacing once more. “Right...” he nervously breathed. “Ever met her?” He raked his hands through his hair nervously another time, and wheeled around to stare at his best friends yet again. “Will you either be my best girls, or Isabel’s maids of honor?”

Dream lover, where are you
With a love, oh, so true
And the hand that I can hold
To feel you near as I grow old

And before they could answer he had switched yet again. He ruffled the back of his hair, “God I knew something was wrong with her this week. She seemed to get worse by the day...” He started to mentally calculate as his fingers rapidly moved with his thoughts.

He looked down to his petite blonde best friend. “She’d have to be about a month along, that’s when we did the most of anything we ever did...” Groaning, “She’s got to be so scared... She must have just found out... How did you find out?” He placed both hands on Maria’s shoulders. “Where is she? ... We need to talk.”

Maria shook her head dolefully, “That’s not such a good idea Alex.”

“Why not?” he asked in earnest.

“Because it might not be your baby.” Maria stated quietly, her hands in his.

He exploded at her revelation for the second time, his voice echoing around the room. “WHAT!? What the Hell kind of joke are you playing today Maria?” Alex yanked his hands from her grasp. “Of course its my baby! You know that we’re in a very committed relationship... the kind that if something like this does happen we deal with it like adults. Even if the likelihood of it occurring is kind of unusual... you know... it could happen... Probably to any of us...”

Maria again touched his arm, trying to calm him; no doubt everyone in the restaurant heard that. “It wasn’t meant as a joke Alex. It might not be your baby.” She whispered.

He looked at her in utter confusion. “Then whose would it be? Isabel hasn’t been with anyone else.”

Someday, I don't know how
I hope she'll hear my plea
Some way, I don't know how
She'll bring her love to me

Pain was all over Maria’s face as she handed him Michael’s art book. “Just look at this Alex, and then tell me your verdict.”

He started at the front; he wanted to drag this out as long as possible, he knew Michael was a pretty good artist. “Key,” he said. “Dome,” and as he went through a few more pages he came upon the night he and Isabel had gathered the orb... “Thing,” he added.

“Give me that!” Maria yanked the book from his hands, found the proper page sequences and thrust the book against his chest. “Take a good look at what your girlfriend has been up to.”

His eyes wandered to the page. He stood there utterly stunned, unable to breathe, unable to move except for a slight subconscious shaking of his head. ‘No! I don’t believe this! This is all a sick joke.’ The thoughts creeping through his mind as he flipped each page slowly.

When he got to the one with the alien lovemaking and its light display, his legs gave way. He fell instantly with a thud onto the barstool, the girls helped to ease his descent. It was too much; Alex started to laugh, hysterically. And he finally uttered his first thoughts. “This isn't real. You ARE crazy Maria.”

Please don't make me dream alone
I beg you don't make me dream alone
No, I don't wanna dream

“I wish I were Alex,” tears sliding down her cheeks, “but this is Michael,” she sniffled, “Michael who drew this. Do you honestly think I would do this for a simple prank?” She wiped tears with her hands. “Alex I'd never hurt you like that, I would never do anything like this as a joke.”

His stomach lurched suddenly and he muttered, “I’m gonna puke,” as he threw his hand over his mouth and raced out of the restaurant.

TBC...

Here is the song playing in the background of this scene... Dream Lover by Bobby Darin
"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth". ~author unknown

Karar Renkenberger
2-8-08
1 lb. 2 oz.
"Too beautiful for earth."
Mt Gazer
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Shifting Realities (AU,A/I,MATURE) CH 30L 11-27-11 pg 1

Post by Mt Gazer »

keepsmiling/Carolyn: I’m glad you appreciated another short part. Poor Alex, he really did get a shock.

Mary-mary/Ginger: Its not like me to turn up so often, I do admit, but my son had the ENTIRE week off for the first time ever, and I did a LOT of writing in the car on the way to and from Az. I wanted to utilize the time effectively.
Yes the girls did break Isabel’s news, but I’m pretty sure Maria did it to protect him. It is a nightmare... that isn’t resolved yet.

I had a fun Thanksgiving with my husband’s family, thanks for asking. And I just sent RL packing this week. I have to rejoin it tomorrow, but for today. The third piece for this week.

Disclaimer: I in no way own the rights to Roswell or anything related to it. All rights belong to Jason Katims, 20th Century Fox, Regency Entertainment, Melinda Metz, WB and UPN. No infringement is intended. I am borrowing their awesome characters, and including my own.

Perhaps in this part and in parts to come I am or will be borrowing some scenes, and I will borrow direct dialog and use altered dialog at times.

Spoilers: Four Square and Max to the Max (especially Max to the Max.)

And to Randy, my dear husband always behind the scenes, and always an assistant in this. I tell him practically every idea that goes through my head. I LOVE YOU!!! And THANK YOU! As always. Shifting lives because of your support.

PML: Peter. This is a permanent spot in recognition of all your assistance. THANK-YOU!!! Shifting Realities is doing well with your attention to details. Thanks for all the help in this. And you definitely gave me some assistance in places.

RECAP: The girls told Alex that Isabel was likely pregnant, and that the baby might not be his. They showed him Michael’s drawings, and he collapsed.

No Music...

Shifting Realities

Chapter 30:L

It Was Only a Dream

Both of the teens, feeling ill, had rushed out separate doors; Isabel went out the break room exit, and Alex out the main doors.

The blast of the warm April New Mexico sun rejuvenated the duo, their nausea dissipated, leaving them in unsettled states of confusion.

Isabel was bent over, hands on her knees, breathing deeply as she squelched the churning in her stomach, when Michael and Maria bustled through the door.

Michael wanted to go assist her but Maria dragged him out of Isabel’s presence.

“What’d you do?” He insisted. “You told Alex? What did you do that for?”

“Because of this, Michael,” She held up his book, which she had grabbed when Alex ran out. “Because he needed to know. Alex deserves better. He doesn’t need to be told his girlfriend is pregnant and in the next breath find out it might not even be his...”

“So why did you tell him? Because it really wasn’t your secret to tell?” Michael ordered.

“Because it’s not just the three of you in this little alien cabal, everything affects us too. Or did you not even give us a thought when you bedded the golden goddess over there.” She pointed absently in Isabel’s direction. “And you know what my mom says, “Once they cheat...” She stared at Michael with fire blazing in her jade colored eyes.

Michael was agitated, “Look Maria,” he forced her to look at him. “I’m not sleeping with Isabel ok?”

“Then how did you get her pregnant?” She demanded, “Answer me that?”

Rubbing his hand over his face, he stiffened, “I-I don’t know.”

Maria mocked him, “You don’t know. That’s convenient. How do you not know? Its a simple matter of biology, have sex, get pregnant; abstain and don’t.”

He grabbed her arms forcefully, “God Maria, look!” He bit out letting go of her arms, “I have no idea what Isabel actually looks like... It's not like I've ever taken her clothes off. Alright! Whitman has gotten farther than me.” He threw his hands up. (He cringed internally, that came out wrong.)

She smacked him on the side of his head. “And you’ve tried?” She shouted in disbelief... “He’s- her- boyfriend. He has that right...” she punctuated every word slowly.

“It was dreams... everything you see in those pictures, all of it was dreams.” Michael rubbed his face wearily. “I don’t know what any of it means...”

“I’ll tell you what it means.” Maria fought on, “Dreams are the subconscious’s way of dealing with our inner selves... This dream, this little bit of evidence right here shows that you carry some torch for Isabel.” She was waving the most provocative image before him traced out in bright pastels, imitating the lightshow at the moment of intercourse. “Torch? Hell! It’s a damn bonfire... Was anything we had real?”

“All of it.” He answered pained. “I don’t know... I don’t know what I’m feeling anymore...”

“Wait? You have feelings for her?”

“Yes.” He blurted out.

She slapped him and glared.

“No?”

“Which is it?” She demanded, hands on her hips, “Yes or no?”

“I don’t know. Right now, its you. I have feelings for you... But in the dreams, her. But awake, you. It doesn’t make any sense.”

“That’s right buddy. It doesn’t.” Maria protested. “Because you went from being her brother to her lover in one week. And only you could figure out how to knock up a girl through a dream. But you get this straight. I’m not going to play stepmom to some alien brat, you understand that?”

He sighed, and tried to change the topic. “How is Alex taking it?” Michael asked.

“How do you think?” She said, tears trickling down her cheeks. “He finds out his girlfriend cheated on him and might not be having his kid. How do you think?” She scratched her neck and averted her eyes. “He laughed hysterically and just thought it was another one of my wild ideas. But its not is it? This is really happening isn’t it?” She shoved his book into his chest.

Michael stared at her beautiful, pouty, pink lips, knowing it would be awhile, if ever before kissing them again. “Maria?” he went to stroke her cheek, but she blocked his movements.

“I knew this wouldn’t last. Our kind wasn’t meant to be with your kind... You and Blondie need to work out your problems and custody arrangements. Goodbye Michael.” She wiped angry tears from her cheeks as she ran from his side.

Michael wanted to get to the bottom of this, and after kicking and punching the large metal trash bin repeatedly in absolute anger and frustration, he wandered over to the UFO Center.

TBC....
"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth". ~author unknown

Karar Renkenberger
2-8-08
1 lb. 2 oz.
Mt Gazer
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Shifting Realities (AU,A/I,MATURE) CH 30M 11-28-11 pg 1

Post by Mt Gazer »

Tharos:
Three parts? Try 4. Here is yet another. Oh they’ll figure it out all right...

Mary-Mary/Ginger: Gotta love Maria. No secret is safe, and she will ALWAYS jump to conclusions.

Keepsmiling/Carolyn: It was Maria’s line actually, but yes I KNOW she’s going to have to eat those words or my next plans for the next chapter won’t be able to be played out. That arc doesn’t have a title yet.

Natalie: Thanks for dropping in, so Damn huh? Left you speechless did I? LOL

ENJOY!!!!

Spoilers: Four Square and Max to the Max

RECAP: Michael and Maria had a fight, Currently they seem to be broken up.

No Music...

More of that day: This is what Alex and Isabel was each dealing with when they ran out of the Crashdown.

We’ll start with Alex’s perspective even though he ran out just shortly after Isabel did.

Shifting Realities

Chapter 30:M

It Was Only a Dream

Alex felt ill. The images in Michael’s art book had been shocking to say the least. Michael had drawn himself and Isabel having s.., making l..., oh forget it! His tongue couldn’t force the words from his lips any more than his brain could handle or erase the imagery.

It was that ONE image in particular that had rocked the very foundation of his world, had pulled the proverbial rug from under his very feet.

The young man meandered down the main street working things out while talking to himself... His thoughts were running from one extreme to the other and back again, in typical Alex fashion.

His brain was reeling, so many questions, but were there any answers? Did Isabel love Michael? Did she really love him, [Alex]. Was she a willing party in this sordid little tale?

Why did his life seem so complicated? Why did it seem like a lie?

Up until this disclosure Isabel had most definitely and fully been his girlfriend in every sense of the word. Was she still? Could they still accept each other after everything that had just come to light? She’d probably run from him again. Did he feel like chasing her this time?

It had to be a cruel sick joke. It just had too. He rested against a brick building, sweat glistening on the young man’s face. His dress shirt staining with moisture. And yet he paid his physical appearance no heed. Wearily rubbing his hand over his face he conjured up the images in the book one by one, sorting through everything.

It was that ONE image; the one with the lightshow, the signal flare fired from the entwined lovers, that left a hollow feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Was any of it real? Was it any bit possible? Could she really be pregnant? And if she was, what was he to do now? This event changed everything he had known to be true. It was so paradoxical.

Although the New Mexico sun burned warm and bright the young man shivered from a physical chill at the thought of Isabel’s absence from his life.

It was Alex’s sense of duty and honor that drew his mind back toward the Crashdown, the promise he’d made to Isabel on Friday night that no matter what was going on, they would get through it together.

So with a solemn sigh and this singularity of purpose he retraced his steps back to the diner. They REALLY needed to talk.

When he arrived Isabel was nowhere to be seen, but her mother’s sedan was still out front. He went and sat back down on the barstool, watching every little movement, slowly revolving the stool side to side.

Isabel had rushed outside, her stomach was doing flip-flops and she felt as if she’d vomit. After Michael and Maria had wandered away and her stomach had regained some of its natural resilience she went for a walk. She let her thoughts dwell on the conversation she’d just had with Michael as well as her “symptoms” of this past week.

She just couldn’t be pregnant, could she? Had everyone in IKAAC jumped to conclusions, or was there any validity in their assumptions?

Even she had to admit that these dreams were far more intense than the last timeline. Why was that? Why was something so simple as sleep deprivation causing her body to throw off such conflicting symptoms?

She had made the assumption that she was carrying Michael’s child in the past timeline, at that point Alex was out of the equation. Now, he was fully entrenched in it. Most of the dreams always started with him, but ended with Michael. Always in the desert and with the symbols just a reach away.

Back then those dreams had made her body feel pregnant, to the point of wearing looser clothing. But weren’t those dreams the result of Tess Harding’s meddling in their lives and forcing them to accept Destiny?

Wasn’t Tess the one responsible for all the pain and heartache in the past? “Where are you?” She ordered into the silent air. Where was Tess this time?

Or were she and Michael really planned for each other and Destiny was trying to play its ugly hand now that she had fully rejected it in the time before? Had it tracked her down and was going to force her to be with Michael? Did she have any choice?

And then what of her and Alex? They felt so certain that they had a shared destiny that lay in each other and their future family promised to them. But promised? By Whom? And why did she still feel that their children were so important? So important even that they couldn’t mess up anything with regards to their conception.

Did Destiny even care about such things?
She made an assumption of her own; if she wasn’t pregnant in the past timeline, than she wasn’t now.

Next thing to deal with. Alex. He would no doubt be apprised of the situation and she would have to discuss the dreams. Most likely in depth. But to discuss the dreams was to relate the past. To relate the past: Tess.

Her eyes stung. She would have to tell him about Tess.

Tess Harding. The whole reason for everything. Her heart clenched and she wiped an errant tear from her cheek as she briefly remembered her other Alex. She truly understood the term borrowed time, for she was living a borrowed life.

Isabel sighed exhaustedly and trudged her footsteps back towards the Crashdown.

When she got back to the deserted alley, Michael and Maria nowhere in sight, she scooped up Michael’s art book, which lay discarded on the asphalt. She resolutely headed back into the employee’s area and stealthily stole to the diamond shaped window where she proceeded to wistfully watch Alex.

TBC....

Karar Renkenberger
2-8-08
1 lb. 2 oz.
Mt Gazer
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Shifting Realities (AU,A/I,MATURE) CH 30-N 2-11-12 pg

Post by Mt Gazer »

keepsmiling/Carolyn: So sorry it has been so long, I know you like rapid updates, I like them too trust me when life allows me to oblige.

Isabel does need to clue Alex into the Tess meddling, but will she is rather the question. She is if you recall keeping some things hidden and secret, other things she just doesn’t know anymore, they were erased by her hand in Clovis when she and Alex spent the night (written so long ago…). Well it is obvious she remembers Tess, but if she isn’t “playing the game the same way” then she might be incurring trouble? She’ll just have to find her way to tell him.

mary-mary/Ginger It is poor both of them really, but yeah Alex is definitely having it worse. How would you react if you were told the girlfriend you love more than life itself was cheating on you? And that girlfriend seems to love you so much…. Poor Alex.

Then you asked if she wasn’t pregnant in the past why doesn’t she remember she isn’t now. That is more complicated. I left an A/N before this recently, but the reality is with Michael she is likely NOT pregnant. Duh. Wasn’t then, isn’t now. That is her logic. (Although these dreams are FAR more erotic, involved and convincing) But Alex and she were rather involved a month ago at Michael’s house. Yes, she was partially dressed, bottoms on, and so seems impossible right? But she is an alien, and she doesn’t trust what Tess says about needing the human way.

I hope that clears it up some… Trust me I KNOW what I do with my characters and their every thought is well rehearsed and researched at times. I have to find old chapters and check on my continuity, AND I do. The day they destroyed the school and made out at Michel’s is more the day in question than any dream had this week.

Tharos I wish the muse could keep up like this.. but nope. If Tess is responsible… yeah hurricane central will land on her with all its/their fury. She’d better watch out for sure.

cjsl8ne They finally sat and talked, well Alex seems to have talked in my head at least, we are starting from his POV… This is that conversation.

PML/Peter This really will be quite a talk…. See comments to keepsmiling and Ginger…. Just how do you start this convo? “You know Alex, we were talking about dreams a couple days ago and, well, I’ve been sleeping with Michael…” There is just no good way to start this one.

And yet I’ve given it to you all to sort out with them…ENJOY….

Spoilers: Four Square and Max to the Max : ROSWELL
Other Spoiler: Quantum Leap: The Trilogy Episodes of Season 5. Specifically Episodes two and three, (“For Your Love” and “The Last Door” ) A brief synopsis/ SPOILER of these episodes is mentioned.

RECAP: After Alex learned that Isabel has been with Michael and more than that might be pregnant, he kind of collapsed and then rushed out of the Crashdown. Not feeling too well. He went for a walk with very unsettled thoughts. Isabel is struggling to understand if she might be pregnant, everyone, including Michael is thinking she is. And she has never been sick with these wacky and disturbing kinds of symptoms before, so? On that walk she decided she wasn’t. Now she’s debating how to tell him about Tess.

No Music...

Shifting Realities

Chapter 30:N

It Was Only a Dream

Isabel watched Alex slowly spinning side to side as he sat at the bar, she wistfully observed him for a moment deciding how exactly to approach. An idea struck and she smirked as she looked down and nodded. ‘Should work,’ she thought to herself.

Isabel proceeded to blur the lines of modesty as she opened the top buttons on her blouse; black lace peeking from beneath the crisp blue fabric. She used her hands and adjusted “the girls” for maximum enticement. Visible cleavage! Time for the persuasive flirting powers of the Ice Princess.

Steeling herself for the conversation ahead she stealthily slipped out of the employee’s room and settled onto Alex’s lap, straddling his hips, and facing him; before he had realized that she was there.

“Whoa! Isabel.” He said almost a bit too loudly in his sheer surprise as her weight settled onto his thighs. “Hi.” The stool came to a rest.

“You are looking exceptionally radiant today,” he blushed, and tried to avert his eyes from hers. He looked down uncomfortably to be met by “those.” Damn. Where was he supposed to look? He tried to find a comfortable place to gaze as he felt her shifting on his lap. She wasn’t playing fair.

“And you are especially handsome.” She fingered the lapels on his jacket. He was in his Sunday best, left over from Mass. Glossy brown orbs were staring into his. She had his eye contact. He couldn’t look away and so they held each other’s for an immobile moment until she broke the silence. “A penny for your thoughts?”

He almost started to laugh hysterically it would release so much stress, but instead he just held his poker face and stated seriously, “You’d go broke woman.” As he swallowed deeply.

Isabel laughed briefly as her head tilted backwards. Her laughter shaking her body. ‘Stop looking Whitman. Just stop.’ He tried to tell himself. And shaking his head, he quirked a suggestive eyebrow. “Are you trying to seduce me?” His eyes had settled, ogling her bosom, he couldn’t help himself, hard as he was trying to keep them focused on her face.

She wriggled into his space, “Is it working?” She asked innocently.

‘Oh cut the act.’ He licked his lip, “Yeah it’s working.” He chuckled ruefully while slowly shaking his head. ‘Oh Isabel…’ He blushed at his thoughts, his whole body heating up.

“You seem to be a bit overdressed.” She purred as she pressed her body flush against his and slipped her long arms into the sleeves of his coat as she began to slide it from his body. “This is making you all hot and sweaty.” She pulled his jacket off and placed it on the counter behind them, and then wiped the sweat from his brow.

“Yeah. I’m sur- sure that’s it!” He mumbled turning a brighter shade of crimson.

“And see you can’t even breathe in this thing.” She added as she started to work at the knot at his throat, “You’re turning all red. That just won’t do.” Her nimble fingers unfastened the strip of fabric around his neck.

He flushed even further as his tie joined his jacket on the Crashdown bar. He gasped for air, audibly. All the thoughts in his head evaporated.

“You have enough trouble with these.” She crooned as her slender fingers undid his top two buttons in their customary flirt; she slipped her hand unto his neck and started to kiss him.

Jeff Parker was ready to curtail the PDA, this was a family restaurant after all, but for some reason Liz insisted that he let them continue. That they knew where they were and that they’d keep it clean. He wasn’t so sure, but he decided to trust his daughter’s instincts still keeping a close watch on the two patrons at the same time.

Liz was absolutely fascinated at how they could so openly flirt, when they had such a disastrous situation looming over them that they needed to discuss. But instead of talking about anything Isabel was pulling out all the stops and Alex wasn’t halting her; instead he was playing along with everything she threw at him. They were now openly kissing, on the broken barstool at the corner of her dad’s bar.

What Liz seemed to have forgotten was that they did not have to converse in the traditional manner.

Flashes could be conveyed along the connection and they were currently bombarding each other’s neural circuits with their hopes and dreams that they wished to share. Visions of the life that they wanted and would do everything within their power to make true. So for the time being they reveled in love. Their dreams from the week shoved into the recesses of their minds to be dealt with shortly, but for the immediate moment they needed to connect. To feel the other’s love, to draw strength and stamina from each other to compose for the conversation about to occur. The one that had the power to change everything.

They pulled back and stared at each other seemingly reading each other’s mind, as they nervously overran each other, each awkwardly attempting to begin their confession but neither was hearing the other.

Alex interrupted, “Normally, Isabel, I am all for ladies first, chivalry and all that. But today I must protest.”

Isabel giggled, “Must protest? Really? Who uses that in normal everyday English?” She giggled again.

His hands on her waist he looked deeply into her eyes. “I’m serious. Isabel.”

He was so earnest; she bit her lip and nodded for him to continue.

“OK.” He sighed, “there is just no way to sugar coat this and so I won’t. You have been having dreams this week.” He jumped right in.

She swallowed. And nodded her head.

“Dreams that may or may not involve sex with Michael.”

“It’s not what you think… “ She shook her head.

Alex continued, “May or may not involve you actually having his child.” He placed his hands on her waist, letting his fingertips graze her stomach.

“No Alex. I’m … I’m not,” she protested herself. “It was just those dr…” She was shocked when he interrupted her yet again, his finger on her lips shushing her.

“Maybe Isabel…” He placed a tender hand on her lower stomach. “There is a likelihood that you are pregnant; and it’s just something we’re going to have to deal with.” He deeply sighed, holding her rapt attention. “But I wasn’t talking about your baby Isabel. I was talking about mine.”

“You don’t- have a baby.” Isabel uttered in confusion.

“And you need to hear me out. What I have to say if of the utmost importance, and is one of those things that’s going to come out how it comes out and make what sense it makes. And if you interrupt me, I will make sure you don’t do that again. But then you’ll learn everything by seeing it, and I think it would just be better to hear it from me first so that doesn’t happen. Ok?”

She bit her lip and nodded silently. She rarely saw this side to him.

“Whatever you’re going through, for me it’s just as bad, possibly even worse.” He paused for a silent beat. “I got someone pregnant.”

She gasped, and bit her lip harder. And watched him.

“I have a kid out there… “out there”, (he pointed to the sky in the alien method of inferring the home planet). “I don’t know a thing about your world, or where you are from. And I could make up any number of things with this overactive imagination, (he pointed to his head) but this…. There is no way I would know anything about this…” He reached behind him to the bar and grabbed Michael’s art book where Isabel had placed it when she climbed into his lap.

He opened to the page of the alien lovemaking displayed in brilliant light. “I did this. How would I know what this is, what this feels like unless it were real? I did THIS with that woman, and a child was conceived Isabel. My child I guess. So yes. I do. I do have a baby Isabel. An alien son…”

Her large brown eyes just blinked owlishly, as she watched him, head tilted in question…

He prattled on, “It’s like that episode of Quantum Leap, you know how Dr. Sam Beckett leaps into other people’s lives fixing what once was wrong. He is there but not, and everyone he encounters sees the person he leaps into but it’s just a projection somehow?”

Isabel nodded confusedly. She NEVER knew what Alex was going to say next…

“But there was a series of three episodes where he kept leaping into this one girl’s life… but in one of them he leaped in, in the middle of sex, and well there is more of Sam there than just a projection apparently because he got that girl pregnant. She had his baby, Sam’s. Later she, his brilliant daughter, was working on project Quantum Leap when he started his whole time jumping thing… That’s been my life this week. I’ve been quantum leaped. I mean I wasn’t my self, but yet I was, if that makes any sense at all. Because whoever I was, he was me, he had my personality, my humor, my sense of duty. And one of those nights when I woke up I wasn’t even fully human, but that could have been that twilight state between awake and asleep I suppose. I mean it had started with a heavy alien make out on the dream realm with you so…” he babbled on with barely a breath taken.

“Dreams …” she found his finger on her lips again.

“No! It’s more than that Isabel. You don’t get it!!!” A couple tears released themselves. Alex’s voice started to crack. “Because it was all too real. I can tell you the girl’s name. Kaleira or something to that effect… it’s not easily translated. But more than that, I know what she looks like. Feels like, her skin was cool to the touch, smooth, like a dolphin. What she tastes like, Oh God intoxicating, heady spicy. I can still taste her on my tongue.” He wandered into his thoughts for a moment reminiscing.

Isabel’s possessiveness got a rise out of that declaration as her eyes narrowed and she made a low hissing sound under her breath.

He continued, “Smells like, a little like cinnamon. I can close my eyes and remember it all. If it were a dream it would fade… this was real. I had sex with someone else Isabel. Hot alien sex mind you, nothing human that I can recall.” He wiped a few more tears as he kept rattling off his monologue.

“So you’ll see how and why the dreams were messing me up when we sort of talked about them on Friday.” He shook his head wryly… “But they were dreams, things I COULD ignore if I had to. Shaking his head, “That is, until Maria showed me this book. That’s when I had flashbacks. I was reliving those moments. I think I sort of collapsed, but not for the reasons they were thinking. Not because you and Michael shared some dreams, but because of my own... The question I was asking myself was if she could truly be pregnant, and if so what was I to do now?” He sniffled. He opened the incriminating book back up. “This is called a bonding, it is a disused form of intimacy that binds two people’s souls together. Permanently. How do I know this Isabel? Why do I know this? … The energy is so intense that it cannot be contained and it flares outward from the lovers… it’s a physical effect that occurs when the souls are fused as one. And we almost did it.”

She kept staring at him. Watching him with growing concern, for both of them and what this meant for their relationship, as his emotions continued to crack and fall further with his tale.

“Well did you hear me?” he questioned. “We,” he pointed between them, “almost bonded.” He shook his head. “That day at Michael’s … or maybe we did. I don’t really know anymore. Don’t know what I can actually trust to be real or not… Which I why I say there is still the likelihood that you might be pregnant. And if you are, there is still the chance that it is my child too … because Isabel, I felt some of the same things with you that I did with her. I had you to reference from…”

Her voice cracked as she held his forearms tightly in her hands. “No! Impossible! It’s not real! Alex.” She demanded, “It can’t be real. Or we can’t be together anymore. And I can’t lose you. I didn’t come all this way to lose you…” Her hand stroked his cheek, the pad of her thumb wiping a tear.

“I know but… but what happened to me this week was real, and there is a baby out there that I was a part of his conception, somehow. And I’m never going to know him. I’m not the type of guy who would abandon a child, who won’t take responsibility. But I’m never even going to see my son. Oh my God! What am I gonna do Isabel?”

Isabel watched as Alex crumbled under the weight of his exhausting confession.

And then he looked up into her damp coffee colored eyes and realized what he had just said. He swallowed. “I can not believe I just said all of that, I told you about sex with another girl, like you weren’t even my girlfriend. Oh God. I need to shut up now. Whatever is coming out is nothing I have any control over anymore. And I can’t. I can’t stop talking. DO you think Max can heal me or something?” He noticed that her lip was quivering, and she was pulled back on his lap, not flush against his body as she had been. “Oh God, because, because I can see I am losing you and you are more precious to me than anything and… I didn’t mean to cheat on you Isabel… I had no control over …”

She couldn’t listen to him anymore, it was all too much and she was about to start openly crying if she didn’t change the course of this conversation, so she attacked his mouth with hers. A deeply satisfying French-kiss she initiated, the kind of kiss Michael gives to Maria to shut her up…

But she ran into his memories.

Isabel pulled away from the kiss, stunned, blinking, processing. She took a couple of audible swallows as she drew away, “Excuse me Alex. “ She said while tears were pooling in her eyes, about to burst the dam. “But. I need to go have a little emotional crisis of my own.” Shaking her head as a couple of tears trailed casually down her worried face. She hopped off his lap and ran into the nearest room.

She’d seen her, the alien girl, in Alex’s mind. She was imprinted on his soul somehow, his thoughts anyways. ‘Who was she? What did this mean?’ Isabel paced in the employee’s room, trying to sort her thoughts, trying to make any sense of what Alex had confessed.

Alex despondently leaned forward placing his head on his arms at the bar, silent sobbing shaking his shoulders as he let all his emotions pour out. ‘What could he do? How could he fix this?’ He’d cheated on Isabel and broken her heart. He’d seen the tears on her cheeks as she ran. Tears that he was responsible for. God how he hated himself right now.

He sat there sobbing, unaware of his surroundings until Maria swooped in, just shortly after Isabel had stepped out. She placed her hand on his shoulder and handed him a napkin.

When he looked up she asked if she could get him anything, if there was anything he wanted.

He stared at her morosely and stated, “I will take one life on the rocks.”
And before she could respond he added, “Oh wait… I’m already there.” He looked mournfully at his blonde friend, and with a heavy sigh added, “I’d like my life back. Think you can arrange that Maria? If not. Just go. I’m not in the mood to talk to you right now.”

“Me? What did I do? I merely told you the truth.” Maria countered.

“The truth as you saw it, yes. But there is so much more going on. This thing with Isabel is just the tip of the iceberg and I’d appreciate it if you left us alone for awhile. We have some serious things to work through. And you are not making it any easier.”

“Now you are mad at me?” Maria was confused, she didn’t see how any of this could be HER fault.

“I’m hurt. Hurt that you didn’t hold you tongue. This is not your problem Maria. It’s mine, and Isabel’s, and we need to be able to discuss it in our own way and our own time. It was not your secret to tell.”

“Considering Michael is involved, its not just your problem. I think I did you a favor. I always knew that Michael could slip, but I never thought it would be with HER. But it’s better that we know now before we get too involved in this, whatever it is.” She waved her hands around, “And at least you also now know what a two-timing bitch your girlfriend Isabel is…”

Compelled to defend, Alex stood suddenly, abruptly enough for Maria to recoil back.

She continued her diatribe, “… Once they stray, taste that forbidden fruit there is just no going back. You ought to let them …” and before she knew what had happened his finger was on her lips pressed forcefully against them, as he swiftly came into her space and loomed over her, his face, grim.

She could sense his anger hidden beneath the surface even though he spoke softly and evenly. “You are my best friend Maria and one I love like a sister, but I will ask you to kindly hold your tongue. Because right now you have NO idea what you are talking about! You could not possibly begin to understand the situation between me and Isabel, if there even still is a me and Isabel. And know this, whatever happened between her and Michael was not by choice. Now please if you do not mind, BACK- OFF!” And with that he released her and sat back down at the bar. Hoping she would comply.

He ignored her attempts to call his name a couple of times, didn’t even say thank you when she brought him an orange soda on the rocks. She finally gave up. Maria was stunned. Alex had just shut her out. Alex? Sure she’d been shut out by people who were annoyed with her before and even outright ignored by others. But never like this, and never by her best friend. What was up with Alex? He cared far too much for Isabel, and they always say love is blind. But she didn’t want to get his dander up again. If she never saw Alex act so cold again it would be too soon. So she stepped off to find Isabel. Maybe she could still get some answers.

Isabel had started her spiral as she paced in the break room, pondering on all the events of this week, her own as well as Alex’s. She just couldn’t believe that it was real. It couldn’t be real or they could never be together, That much she knew, that much at the same time she also now feared. He really could remember everything about his alien love affair. When she felt the tears begin to fall without permission she exited into the bathroom and shut the door. To have a crisis of her own.

“Listen here!” She demanded furiously of the sky. “I don’t want to fight you for him. I don’t even know how to fight you for him. But know this, if this is a war saved for the dream realm, I WILL meet you there. The dream realm is MY DOMAIN!. And I WILL WIN!! I just want you gone. Do you hear me? GONE! You don’t belong in my Alex!!! And I am not going to let you into his head again!” Her anger gave way to panicked gasps for air. “Oh God…” She swallowed thickly. “Tess.”

She thought through that and realized that this was different somehow, not Tess, not the same influence, but influence nonetheless.

“No.” she said while shaking her head, “This isn’t Tess. This is somebody else.” That thought was brutally sobering. “Someone who is specifically messing with Alex. Who are you?” She ordered of the quiet. “What do you want with MY Alex. Because I’m going to tell you this, he’s no one to you. No one you would want, or need. But he’s everything to me. He’s MY everything. My heart. My soul. My very reason for existence. And I can’t lose him. I won’t lose him!!!” Isabel barked through gritted teeth as she issued the declaration for war. It remained silent, no one heeded the call, so she’d wait for tonight and make sure to be in deep connection with Alex. This other woman would rue the day she was hatched.

She leaned in to look at the mirror, watching the lines on her face range between jealousy and possessive anger, striving to hold in her newly formed large irate tears. Right now she was at war with an unseen enemy, an enemy that had overstepped the bounds. You don’t touch Alex. Or you deal with the wrath that is Isabel. Recomposing, Isabel used her powers to repair her cosmetics, especially around her eyes, since crying has a tendency to ruin makeup.

A knock at the door and she heard Maria’s soft voice, “Isabel? Are you ok?”

The flash of rage at her unseen enemy was unleashed, “ I want you… to leave us… the Hell… ALONE! She growled as she slammed her palms violently into the door to shove back the offender. The door rippled under her contact, as if Isabel had just hit a wall of water, and a second later her hands went though the surface. She drew them in quickly and stared at it in awe, blinking rapidly.

Maria, standing at the door, felt its solidity shift as she was pressed against it straining to listen to Isabel, offering her assistance. When she inadvertently touched Isabel’s hands through the closed door, she jerked away in alarm.

And stood transfixed as the reality of the door and adjacent walls undulated before her very eyes. Maria jumped to the side of the bathroom door in the employees’ room, watching as it rippled and became all but transparent. As if it was made of water. The effect spread along the walls and through the lockers, making the gunmetal grey paint and the steel they were made from look molten, before it became a haze. The lockers then resumed normal as the pantry shelf momentarily warped as the effect kept creeping outwards through the room. She hopped when she felt the floor beneath her feet also roll.

The liquid effect didn’t linger at any one point but it wrinkled and rippled like water off of a pond into which a large rock had been thrown.

Maria reached into her alien head apron, searching for the right oil for this situation. Something, anything, to calm her down because… because, the entire room had just become a wave, a literal wave, of energy. And the effects were the strongest where Isabel had hit the door. Who was she kidding? There was no right oil for this, she clanked the little vials, reading the labels frantically, landing on Eucalyptus. That should work; she fussed with the tiny top as she uncapped it and started to sniff heartily.

She could still see vaguely through the translucent opening, Isabel being silhouetted as she fell to her knees her hands pulling from the surface. And as her hands pulled from the surface, so too the ripples began to fade and reality resumed normal. She knew that the aliens could molecularly change things, but to warp the very nature of reality? This was a little scary to say the least. She took another sniff of her latest purchase. She hoped her friends realized how much of her money was now going to calming aromatherapy products! And it wasn’t just Isabel and her little turn the world into water trick that had Maria needing it. It was also Alex and his indifference, as well as the usual/unusual troubles with Michael. She softly apologized at the door and made a hasty retreat into the main dining room which had not experienced the liquid effect of Isabel’s tantrum.

Simultaneously:
Isabel ricocheted as the dam broke; she slid to floor in a mode of self-deprecation. “It’s my fault… I should have never slept this week! Never! Oh my God!!! What have I done? …”

TBC…..

A/N And we are deep in the middle of some huge school projects and so, I don’t honestly know when I will get to it again, but I really wanted to get this one done. Because it drives it forward, and I have but one goal really to move this thing FORWARD…

My son just got Straight A’s for his first semester, with THE HARDEST teacher. That’s where my RL is going. LOL

Karar Renkenberger
2-8-08
1 lb. 2 oz.