Say Goodbye To Yesterday (AU,M/L,Adult) AN 01.06 pt 17 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

babylisou
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by babylisou »

Sorry yall for the delay. for more explanation, see the note above :wink:
Also check out the new banner and thank you to Frenchkiss for her hard work on this fic :wink:

Thank you for all the feedbacks!!

Part 16 A

“So what do you want to do now?”

Max sat on his bed, his back resting against the headboard and his legs sprawled apart as Liz laid against his chest, his thighs bracketing her slim waist. Her head cradled in the crook of his neck, she found it hard to stay awake. His scent was addicting and she didn’t know how she had lived so long without it. Yet she knew what he was asking, and she knew she had to take this seriously.

Turning around to face him, she tightened her hold on his hand. “I… I think we should take it slow Max.” She stated shyly but noting the confusion in his eyes she knew she had to keep going. She wouldn’t take the risk of losing him again. “I want us to try to know one another… I mean- we have lived together, but we barely know anything about each other- I want to-.. Max, I want to go on a date with you, I want to go out with you, like a normal couple…” she finished slowly, biting her lips nervously.

She had no idea how he would react and she didn’t want to meet his eyes right now, too afraid to see pain and anger there. So instead, she lowered her gaze, staring down at his chest.

She let out a gasp when she felt his hands grabbing her hips and gently lifting her up so that she now sat on his laps, facing him, chest to chest, hips to hips. Pushing her chin up, he looked at her with an amused smile.

“I want that too Liz.”

Her eyes widened at the realization of his words. “You- … Max- ...” She shifted uncomfortably, feeling suddenly stupid he would want to jump her right now and then, without even trying to get to know her. He probably wanted to be careful, be sure of what he was putting his heart, his trust into.

“What happened last night was good Liz, and I’ll never regret it. But you’re right; we barely know one another, and-… Well, I think I want us to start again… -from the beginning.” He said, feeling slightly embarrassed under her scrutiny.

“Do you mean that?” He grinned at the uncertainty in her voice. They really needed to try to read through each other better. It always seemed like she couldn’t trust his words. Sure she trusted him, but she always sounded dubious.

Instead of answering her, he winked flirtingly. “Well, Miss Parker, what would you think of a movie… tonight? … I could pick you up at-… hmm, let’s say 7?” He finished with a pleased ton.

Liz pursed her lips, her eyes fixed to the ceiling and her index taping her chin in a mock reflective fashion. Her grin widened when she saw him rolling his eyes, giggling when he gave her side a tickling tug.

“Liz?” He warned amusedly.

“Max?” Her laugher erupted when he sighed resignedly before attacking her side with his wiggling fingers. “Max!”

Her laugh was contagious and soon his throaty laugher filled the room with hers. “Max! I give up! I give up!” she pulled and tugged at his hands helplessly and he swiftly turned over, so that he had her pinned to the mattress. “Do you really?”

Her gaze pierced through his eyes and she was speechless for a moment. How had she missed all the emotions she now saw in their amber pools? How had she missed the love that shimmered above the pain?

She felt his body trembling over her and she had to hold on a groan. Swallowing deeply, she felt his grip loosened as he freed her hands. How had the moment gone from playful to painfully awkward?

Rising from the bed, she tugged at her clothes self-consciously while he watched from where he sat in the center of the bed. “So … 7?”

“Yep ...”

She shuffled for a second, not really sure of what to do before finally turning around to leave; but he caught her wrist before she had a chance to flee, drawing her back between his legs.

“Don’t I at least get a kiss goodbye?” He asked, his voice shaking, unsure.

She smiled shyly; glad he was bold enough to ask. She didn’t take the time to answer, crushing her lips to his in a life-searing kiss. His hands cradled her face tenderly while her arms slid around his shoulder bringing him closer to her heated body.

Finally they parted and she leaned her forehead against his. “I’ll see you tonight ok.” He just nodded, his eyes still closed as he felt her moved away. He felt a shiver ran through his body at the lost of her warm body against his but chosed to ignore it.

He watched her leave, smiling at him one last time before she crossed the threshold.

“So you’re saying Max was here this morning? In Liz’s room?” Michael’s ton was incredulous and he shook his head, rolling his eyes upward.

“I’m telling you Michael, Liz is at his house right now.”

“Are you kidding?” He bolted from his seat, staring at Maria’s back with wide eyes. She continued to peel her potatoes, not even bothering to turn around.

“Do I sound like I’m kidding Michael?” She finally answered, passing him by with a hand full of carrots freshly cut. She finally noticed the worried look he was sporting and stopped by the table, deposing the vegetables there before turning her attention back to him.

Taking his hands in hers, she rubbed his palm soothingly with the pad of her thumb. “Michael, you don’t have to worry. They are adults; they know what they are doing.”

“Maria, they may be adults, but last time they were supposed to act like adults, they both got hurt. I mean I understand what Liz was doing by leaving but how can they be so sure they are ready now? What if Liz gets scared again? What if she leaves again? She'd better not because I don’t want to be the one putting Max back together afterward!” He said warningly.

“You won’t have to.” Liz’s voice cut through the silence that followed Michael’s statement, and she walked into the room. “You won’t have to because I have no intention to break my heart… if I do, it’ll break mine too…

Michael got up, towering her as he crossed his arm over his chest. “It didn’t bother you 3 months ago, what’s different now?”

Liz shifted under his piercing gaze, but she didn’t falter. She knew it’d be hard, but she had every intention to prove them she was trustworthy. “I can’t tell you why, but this time is different. Plus, it’s Max’s decision and mine. If Max is willing to take the risk, then I’m too, and you should be too.”

“You’re asking me to put my friend’s well-being at stake.” He snapped harshly, gauging her reaction carefully.

“No, I’m asking you to trust me… trust us.” She stated firmly. “Maria was right earlier, Max and I are both adults and we know what’s good for us.”

Michael’s stance softened at her words. He had to admit she had a point. Even if he knew it’d be hard, he had to trust his two friends with their own hearts and desires. After all, he couldn't say he had not agreed to Liz's departure. He had understood at the time the reason of her leaving and there was no reason for him to change his mind now. As much as he feared for his friends, the risks they were to take were their own decision.

He looked away, biting his tongue to keep from saying anything. He didn’t want to lose his friends and knew if he couldn’t convince them of staying away from each other, he’d have to support them.

“It’s your choice I guess...” He finally agreed, meeting her eyes wearily, but the relieved smile on her face was contagious and he wrapped his arms around her, giving his acceptance silently.

“So when is Max picking you up?” Maria asked excitedly as they walk through Central Park, carrying several shopping bags in both their hands.

“He said 7, but I’d rather be prepared before that. I want to be sure everything is perfect you know.” Liz said, equally thrilled.

They stay silent for a while and her mind drifted back to him for a minute. What was he doing right now? Was he getting ready already? It was barely five; he was probably watching some TV, or maybe calling his mother. Or maybe he was calling a chic restaurant for reservation… No, he had called early saying to dress casually-

“So you didn’t tell me what really happened last night.” Maria’s inquiring voice cut through her pensive daze and she found herself blushing at the remembrance of yesterday; thoughts of Max flooded her mind and her body heated instantly.

“Maria…” she ducked her head shyly, hiding her flushing cheeks. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Oh c’mon, you know you want to tell me. Plus, I always share everything; it’s only fair you tell me.” Maria pushed her friend, trying to sound comforting all the same as she freed one arm to wrap it around her shoulders.

“There is nothing to tell really…” Liz shrugged it off coolly, looking away absently. “At first I didn’t remember much, but it came back quickly…”

“You mean when you saw Max lying naked beside you, under your sheets, in your room?” Maria teased slightly, loving the way her friend’s smile widened at the graphic she was giving.

“Mariaaa, noo. Plus he woke up before me; I didn’t get to see anything.” She answered, barely hiding her frustration.

“Is that disappointment I’m hearing?” Maria half joked. She knew her both of them had been drunk over their head and probably half the night was a blur to them, but she couldn’t help to give Liz the third degree, it was just too funny to watch.

“I’m not regretting anything Maria; I just wish it had happened differently. We were both drunk; we barely knew what we were doing-… I didn’t want our first time to be this way...” she finished wearily…

Maria couldn’t help but noticed the faraway look in her friend’s eyes. She knew from experience, Liz had a hard time dealing with everything surrounding her relationships with men. She had rarely been happy in one before, had even had to live through quiet some rough times, but she had to trust Max this time. Turning around to face her friend, she took both her cheeks between her hands.

“Liz, please don’t start making things more complicated than they are. You and Max are together now; I know what you’re doing; I know you’re trying to compare your relationship with Max to the one you had with-… the others; and it’s not healthy. So stop. Stop living in the past and just… Live!”

Liz had to force a smile at that. She remembered a time she had given Maria the same kind of lecture. Back when they were still young and free; when all this sounded so simple and possible. But she had lived since. She had learnt the hard way what it was to get hurt by imprudence. She refused to make the same mistake again.

“Liz, Max is Not Tom!” Maria’s stern voice made her winced and she had to withdraw from her friend’s embrace. “He won’t hurt you. I know he won’t, he’s not capable of it. I know you’re scared, but you’ve to trust him… please Liz.”

Liz had to close her eyes to stop the tears that threatened to fall; she didn’t want to be overwhelmed by all those memories again. It’d come back every now and then, and she just knew she could rarely fight the fears and depression that comes with it. This man had broken her, but not only on the outside…

She felt Maria’s hands stroking soothingly her upper arms and found the strength to open her eyes again fighting to regain some kind of composure. She pushed away the frightening thoughts and forced a tight smile on her lips to reassure her friend.

“Liz?”

“I’m ok.” She stated bravely but her voice was still quivering with unshed tears and she had to swallow thickly to get rid of the lump forming in her throat. She couldn’t let herself be drowned into those thoughts again. It had cost her too much already
babylisou
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by babylisou »

Thank you all for the feedbacks... thank you Frenchkiss for the beta work. You'll forgive me for the lake of note, I'll post more tomorrow, for now it's getting awefully late...

Part 16 B

“Are we there yet?” Liz asked for the hundred times as she continued to feel the car vibrating under her. She heard Max chuckling at her side and her smile widened even though she let out an annoyed sigh.

He had picked her up at Michael’s house over half an hour ago. Just like he had said, he was casually clothed, wearing only a pair of dark jeans hanging low on his hips and a thick black jacket with a scarf. It was cold outside and Liz had opted for a pair of jeans too, coupled with a turtleneck.

He had helped her to put her jacket, gloves and scarf on, insisting on how cold it was outside and how much she’d need it tonight. Obviously Max had abandoned the idea of a movie and was taking her to some mysterious place.

Now she was sitting in the backseat of a cab, a thick fabric covering her eyes and she had to fight the urge not to peek through every now and then. She knew it was dark outside, so she probably wouldn’t see much.

Max’s hand tightened around hers and she knew they were nearing their destination. She could feel him shifting closer to her and she gasped as his hot breath hit her ear. “We are almost there now… you’re gonna love this Liz.” He whispered huskily. She could hear the childish excitement in his voice and it made her smile.

Finally, the car came to a stop and Max leant over the front seat to pay for the ride. Liz tried to remove the fold from her eyes, but his hands were quickly prying hers from reaching the knot in the back of her head.

“No! Not yet!” His ton was full of infectious laugher and she had to let out a giggle.

“I thought we were there!” She expelled with half restrain frustration.

“I said almost! Almost Liz.” The door opened on his side and she heard his footstep getting closer to her seat. Finally, her door came open and she blindly reached out for his hand. He grabbed it willingly and led her out of the car.

“Can I take it off now?” she continued asking impatiently as he tugged at her hand. They were walking through a rough path, she could feel the hard rock under her snickers, but he had his arm wrapped tightly around her waist and she felt safe as they started to go down.

She didn’t interrupt him anymore before they finally reach the end of their journey and Max stilled beside her. It took her a second to realize he had left her side and was standing behind her, one arm thrown loosely around her waist while his free hand untied the knot that held the two ends of the fold together.

When it finally came apart, she closed her eyes, not sure anymore of what to expect, but his lips, hot against her ear, convince her to give into the temptation: “Open your eyes Liz…”

She gasped at the sight before her and blinked. They were standing on a high rock, dark water flooding under them, waves crashing against a small beach that expended over a few feet. Far in front of them, past the long canal of water, was the end of Manhattan, sky-crappers pointing their nose proudly, the two lights replacing the Twin Towers lightening the sky like the sun in mid-day.

Liz’s head shot to the side, her eyes widening at the sight of the Statue of Liberty, her head crowned by hundreds lights; on the other side, the Brooklyn Bridge crossed a gap of dark water.

“Max…” She was at a lost of what to say. Never in her life had she seen such a beautiful sight. It seemed so surreal, almost like they had moved onto another planet in a matter of minutes. “This is so beautiful…”

“I know.” He simply answered, leaning his chin against her shoulder as he wrapped both his arms tightly around her waist. “So I take it you like my secret spot…”

She could hear the grin in his voice and she turned around in his arm to face him, cocking her head to the side. “Your secret spot?”

He nodded briefly, his gaze returning to the sight in front of them with a faraway look. “I found this place two days after moving to New York. I used to come here after classes, or when I just needed some time on my own…” He sighed at the memories, a time when his worries were few but seemed so important, a time when he didn’t know, somewhere in the town he had grown up, lived the love of his life.

“I haven’t been back…” He didn’t finish his sentence, silently wondering what had kept him away for so long. Liz though, voiced his questioning out loud.

“Why?”

“I don’t know… I- … I guess at first I just couldn’t: Nobody knew about this place but me and I would have need somebody to bring me here- and then every time I thought of coming here I was thinking of you, of how much this place reminded me of you… I can’t explain why… it’s just a feeling I had. I was too scared.” He admitted his ton genuine.

“Of me? ... I- I thought you and –.” “I never brought Tess here.” He interrupted her firmly, his voice serious. Seeing the shock on her face, he couldn’t help but turn her into his arms so she was facing him fully. “Liz I never brought anyone here but you. You are the only one I want to share things with… the only one I want to be with-…”

His confession was heart wrenching and she had to fight the urge to cry. Burying her head in the crook of his neck, she inhaled deeply, loving the scent of him.

Back when she lived with him, she had gotten used to his smell, the dark mixture of cinnamon and fresh cologne. But she had never loved it more than today. Today this smell meant love and security.

She felt strong arms wrapped around her shoulders and sighed in contentment. That was where she belonged: in Max Evans’s arms.

She ran, as fast as she could; she had to get away, out of this house, out of this town if possible. So she ran, past the dark alleys crossing the main street of Evanston, past the post office and the local garage.

On her face dark blood blended with tears, dirt tainted her hands, more blood covered her torn open shirt; her bare feet hit the pavement almost violently but she didn’t stop running; even when her lungs tightened, air coming in sharp short intakes of breath, she didn’t stop running.

She had to find somebody, anybody who could help her, but she couldn’t stop running. His footsteps had stopped resonating behind her and she knew he hadn’t followed her, yet she kept on moving.

At the sound of a car nearing, a honk horning- she stopped. Her breath shallow, piercing pain shooting up her side, she extended her arm, her hand flailing in an attempt to get the driver’s attention.

The car stopped a few feet away from her, the front light illuminating her pale visage. She watched bewildered, unmoving, frozen, as the man exited the front seat. Her eyes darting around into the cold darkness, she didn’t recognize his face until he was in front of her. Stumbling on her feet, her cries caught in her throat and she fought against her blinding fear.

“You’re gonna pay for that.” A smirk deformed his usually perfect lips, making him look painfully handsome.

Cold freezing fingers slid along her arms, up her shoulders until they reached her neck. But she didn’t move; her feet glued to the floor. Deep blue eyes looked into hers, piercing her gaze; but she didn’t budge.

His hand tightened around her throat. “I’m gonna kill you Parker.”

Max woke up in a start, the sound of Liz’s screaming cutting through the silence of the room. Grabbing her flailing arms before it hit his face; he had to fight against her trashing body before trying to get her attention.

“Liz! Liz, wake up! Wake up!” He shouted and after a few seconds, her eyes opened; her screams replaced by sobs as she realized who was above her. “Liz what’s wrong?”

Wrapping his arms around her small frame, he closed his eyes in fear, feeling her body shaking under his. “Shh, it was just a dream… just a dream.”

Liz looked around, feeling lost and disoriented; Max’s grip around her didn’t loosen and she pushed against his chest to disentangle herself from his prying arms. Sliding from where she laid on the bed, she looked around in a daze, her arms wrapped around her self-consciously.

“Liz?” Max’s inquiring voice brought her back to reality and she looked up, meeting his confused gaze. “Liz, is everything ok?”

She swallowed back the bile rising in her throat, trying to smile away his concern.

“I- … I’m fine Max… Maybe I should just go home.” Turning on her heels, she started to look around for her discarded shoes, the only clothing that had left her body before they fell asleep on Max’s bed the night before. She bent over to grab one but Max’s hand on her arm stopped her.

“Wait Liz, it’s 3 in the morning, you can’t leave now.” Max frowned, searching her eyes desperately.

“I’ll call Maria, she’ll understand.”

“No Liz, listen to me. It’s the middle of the night and you’re not going to wake up Maria. Come and lay back with me… c’mon.” He didn’t wait for her answer, already drawing her back onto the bed, covering her shivering body with the heavy comforter, before sliding in with her.

He felt her tense body relaxing when his arms came around her, cradling her body close to his and soothingly running his free hand up and down her waist.

“Sleep now.” His voice was barely above a whisper and he doubted she heard it, her breath was already slowing to a calm pace, drawing him into a worried slumber.

“You’re up early.”

Max smiled as Liz groggily stumbled into the kitchen and slide between his legs into his open arms. “How are you feeling?” He asked, kissing her temples as she nested her head into his neck.

“Good I guess…. You?” She asked, not meeting his eyes.

He noted her distant behavior and immediately pulled away from her, keeping her lower body close to his, but looking at her skeptically. “I’m okay, but I’ll be better if you told me what last night was all about.” He stated, worry etched all over his face.

Turning in his arms, Liz avoided his searching gaze, stepping away from his embrace. “It doesn’t matter, I’m okay now.” She looked around the room, searching for a fast exit. She had to get out of here before giving in or she’d spill everything. Spotting her purse sitting on a chair nearby, she jumped on her feet and walked to the door. “I better go back at Michael’s, I need some clean clothes.”

But Max was already at her side, grabbing her wrist gently to hold her back. “It won’t be necessary. Maria stopped by this morning when you were asleep. She assumed you’d be staying here and brought your bags over.” He forced her to meet his gaze, tilting her chin up until his amber eyes crossed her brown ones.

“Liz, you can tell me… you can tell me anything.” He pleaded softly, grabbing her waist to draw her back into his arms. Once again, she hid her face into his neck, her breath shallow against his ear and he felt tears moistened his skin.
“I’m sorry Max… I’m so sorry.”

“Shhh, it’s ok. You’re gonna be ok now… just tell me what’s wrong.”

Ten minutes later, they sat in the living room, Liz’s hips cradled between Max’s legs as they sat on the loveseat. She tiredly leant her head over his chest, drawing his hands tighter around her waist, seeking security and comfort.

The silence was deafening and comforting all at the same time, none knowing what to say or where to begin. Things had to be said, settled. Their relationship was too young to have it already tainted by lies and hidden secrets.

“Liz?” Max’s inquisitive ton brought her back to the reality she had to face and she reluctantly nodded against his chest. Breathing deeply, she fought not to get lost in it again, tightening her grip on his hand before starting in a low voice.

“The dream… it was about a guy.” She turned around to meet Max’s face quickly when his body tensed under hers, and met his clouded eyes. “It is not what you think Max…” She reassured his softly. “Just hear me out ok?” Her hand slide across his unshaved cheek and she pecked his lips lightly in reassurance.

“It was about 3 years ago -… I had just started college and I was among the youngest there… I was alone most of the time, Maria still being in High School and all- I didn’t think it would bother me that much, but- anyways, we met at the library. He was kind of a loner himself and- well I guess it was the only thing we had really in common aside from biology classes and the same lake of interest for people’s opinions… he was rich, his father one of the richest man in Evanston; I was the daughter of a single mother living above a restaurant in downtown Chicago. He wanted to be a famous esthetic surgeon and I was happy just taking care of people. He had ambition; I just wanted to live a quiet life… He was a good friend, we went out a couple of time but it never worked out for me; I thought he was destined to stay my friend forever but he didn’t see it that way…”

She sighed deeply, trying to breath in the strength coming from Max. The motion of his hands on her arms was soothing, but she couldn’t meet his eyes, especially as she felt the tingling of tears blurring her vision.

“We were doing okay for a few months, actually we were pretty good friends. We spent days and days together, so much I remember Maria was getting jealous- I-… she tried to warm me, she tried- but I didn’t listen to her… I wish I had-.”

She started sobbing, feeling overwhelmed by the memories rushing fast into her mind, bruising her heart all over again. Max nuzzled her ear softly and she fought against the urge to move away. There was no doubt her renew relationship with Max was what had triggered the dreams. She hadn’t had any serious boyfriend since the Tom fiasco.

“Tell me what happened, Liz...” He whispered into her ear, trying to sound comforting, reassuring.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to sort her jumbled thoughts.

“I don’t remember what happened really, we had drunk a lot that night but-…” She swallowed thickly fixing her gaze into the center of Max’s chest before starting again. “We were at his house, he was supposed to bring me back home and it was getting late- But-… but when I asked him, he said no. I thought- I thought he was just joking at first, and I played along, but-… he wasn’t and- I don’t remember very well- what happened next… I think my conscious has erased this part of my memory, kind of a way of self defense…” She finished lamely.

“But Liz, if you don’t remember what happened, what was your nightmare about?” Max inquired softly, trying not to push her into more depressing thoughts again.

Feeling his curiosity, but most of all, his care and worries, Liz tried to remember the exact events of the night before.

“All I really know is that he beat me. I remember hiding into a closet for a while and then running into the street. I kept on running and running and I didn’t even know where I was going-… I don’t know if it is what really happened, but in my dream, he comes back again, he chases me and he- he tries to kill me… the last thing I remember is being on the street, running… and then waking up in a hospital room… Apparently some guy found me on the side of the road, I was barely conscious, bare feet and I had blood all over myself... He thought I had killed somebody.” She let out a bitter laugh… “For a while, I thought he had been the one killing me- my soul…”

She raised her eyes, meeting his so he would see the truth in her words. “But I was wrong-… I still have got a chance today, and I’m ready to take the risk…” She smiled weakly but it was enough to tell Max she was ok.

He smiled back at her, cuddling her deeper into his embrace, his chin resting on the top of her head as he sighed heavily.

“What happened to him?” He wasn’t sure he really cared, as long as that asshole was either dead or in prison, he would be fine… they would be fine.

“He fled at first. Maria had called the police as soon as she didn’t see me coming home that night and they were immediately alerted and went to his house. I think he probably followed me when I ran out, and when he came back to his place, he must have seen the police’s car and flashing lights and left. I was still asleep when they found him but Maria was there. He actually came at her mom’s shop; he wanted to know where I was… she called the police and he was arrested. As far as I know, he’s still in prison but-… but one day he’ll be free and-.”

“-And I’ll be here for you.” He finished her sentence quickly. “I’ll always be here Liz. You don’t have to worry anymore. I’ll protect you with my life and this bastard won’t ever touch you again…”

She could hear the anger in his voice, the hatred sweating from each sentence, and she didn’t know if she should be scared or relieved. But she looked into his eyes and the love she saw there, a kind of love she had never seen in any other man’s eyes before, blew her away.

She had nothing to worry about anymore. Max would be here for her now, no matter what, and she’d be there for him…

TBC…
babylisou
Enthusiastic Roswellian

I'm coming back

Post by babylisou »

Hello you guys... I know I've been gone for almost 2 months, yet I promise I've good reasons... this is link to school, work, lack of time mostly... I've had much much to do and whenever I thought I had a little free time, something else has come up... so here I'm, caught between the Need to come back, and the obligation to work...

I can't promise that I'll be back within the next few days, but I KNOW I will be back in February at least! ... I hope to be back earlier...

Until then, I'm giving you a long teaser of part 17... I hope you'll enjoy it and I'll be back soon, it's a promise...

Oh yeah, one last little thing, it has not been beta yet so I hope you won't mind the mistakes:

Part 17

“Mum, I told you not to worry about dinner, Max and I will eat on the way there, okay?”

Liz smiled into the phone, listening to her mother rambling. She could easily imagine her, pacing into the small living room they had shared for most of her teenage years. Her eyes drifted up as Max enter the room and stood above her as she sat on the carpet, her back to the bed.

He rolled his eyes and slumped beside her, her eyes drifting shut when he started caressing her bare legs. Up and down, up and down; each time reaching a little higher. A silent gasp escaped her lips when his finger praised the tender skin under her knee.

She covered the mouthpiece, giving Max a warning look as her mother continued her endless winding. She sighed, half in relief, half in disappointment when his hand left his her legs.

Her focus was back on the conversation, but it didn’t last, as Max took her into his arms this time, effortlessly carrying her onto his laps. He started massaging the tight knots at the bottom of her neck, his lips touching her shoulder skin with featherlike kisses.

“Listen Mum, I gotta go now, Max is back and if we want to leave tonight, we better get ready- Yeah, I’ll call you when we reach the border- Love you too. Bye.”

She hung up with a sigh, falling back against Max’s broad chest. Her eyes closed in bliss when he continued his gentle ministrations.

“So I take it your mom’s excited to see you?” He asked, the soft rumble of his voice echoing against her ear. She nodded silently; trying not to lose focus but finding it really difficult with Max’s hand slowly drifting down her side.

“Did you tell her I was coming too?” He asked after a while, his voice trembling slightly.

Liz turned into his arms, feeling his insecurity; she eyed him carefully, trying to see past the sudden wall that was blocking his vision. He looked away knowing he wouldn’t held long before piercing gaze, but she grabbed his chin and forced him to look inter her eyes.

“Max Evans, what have you been thinking about?” Liz inquired with a frown, her ton the one of a reprimanding mother.

“I- ... Liz, what if she doesn’t like me? What if she thinks I’m not good enough for you- I wouldn’t blame her for that, I don’t even believe it myself- but what if she thinks I’m like Him?-.”

She had to smile at the cute image he made at this moment, rambling aimlessly, his face the one of a little boy as he search the truth on her face. “Max, listen to me – My mum won’t ever think you’re like Tom. I’ve been talking to her, she knows you and she loves you already I’m sure.”

Her smile was contagious and he couldn’t contain his, though it was uncertain.

“But- How?”

“Because you make me Happy Max- … I’ve never been that happy before and I’m sure she knows it.” Her voice held truth and passion and he had no other choices but to believe her. If her mum was anything like Liz, there was no reason for him to worry.

“So I guess we better start to get ready.” Liz said after a while, all at the same time falling back into his arm, laying her head against his chest wearily.

His hands drift to the soft hair bunching around her neck, caressing her soft strand with reverence. “I guess… or we could make use of the bed beside us.” He said with a chuckle.

Liz straightened at his word, giving him a serious look. “Max we said we’d wait. You told me you’d give me as much time as I needed.”

“Yeah, and it was 3 weeks ago. We have been sharing the same bed ever since and we will again at your mom’s house, don’t you think it’s a little bit- I don’t know, ironical?” He was laughing, but his words spoke the truth.

After the night they had spent together at Michael and Maria’s place, they had both decided it would be better to wait before starting on this road again; yet they couldn’t stay apart and Liz had quickly moved into Max’s apartment again. The few things she had brought back from San Francisco lay haphazardly on the empty bed in the bedroom she had once occupied.

At first, she had had every intention to use this room, but they had both found it merely impossible. Eventually, they had settled into the habit of falling asleep into each other arms.

It didn’t bother Liz that their relationship was, for now, platonic. It wasn’t even; they had shared some pretty hot making out sessions during the last few weeks, but had always stopped before it had gone too far.

It was somewhat arousing in its way, but it had left them frustrated many times and obviously Max was crossing his limit.

“C’mon Liz, we can’t keep doing this. Either we are sleeping together, or we are not. We can’t just-… I dunno, be ‘in between’…” He heaved a defeated sigh, trying to release the tension in his cramped body.

He had been thrilled when Liz had decided to move back into his apartment; the prospect of having her by his side night and day was amazing, showering her with care and love, be there for her at all times. But as days passed by, he couldn’t wait for the time she would allow him to show her how much he loved her.

When she didn’t answer, he disentangled himself from her slim body, standing up and nervously tugging at his clothes, looking away as he refused to meet her gaze.

“We better start getting ready if we want to leave on time.”

He stomped out of the room, leaving Liz alone and confused. It hadn’t happened often, but she knew there were times when the Max she had first met, the grumpy young man who had first entered her life, would sometimes come back.

TBC...

Hope you liked it....[/list]