Letters of Convenience (AU,M/L,Mature) Ch 8 09/15/05 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Letters of Convenience (AU,M/L,Mature) Ch 8 09/15/05 [WIP]

Post by Jason's Lover »

Title: Letters Of Convenience

Author: Jason's Lover

Rating: Mature

Disclaimer: Nothing used here is mine.

Category: M/L - Angst

Summary: Max's mother disappeared without a trace when he was fourteen. Now, ten years later, just when his life is in it's prime, with Liz, his girlfriend of four years, he begins to recieve these mysterious letters about his mother and her possible whereabouts, rehashing old wounds.

Author's Note: I know I'll probably regret posting this before the time I intended, but after completing the first part, I couldn't contain my anxiousness. So please, behr with me. I hope you all like it.

Credits to Nicole(Nickimlow) for the awesome banner!

Credits to Bella(Hybrid-Angel) for the fantastic banner!

“Max, this is your very first date. I think a tie would be more appropriate than a sweater vest.” Diane Evans admonished him, her attention riveted on fixing his attire.

He wrinkles his face in displeasure. “But I don’t want to wear a tie. They’re uncomfortable.”

She raises an eyebrow in question. “Don’t you want to make a good first impression?”

Max shrugs indifferently. “Well, yeah. But not because of the way I’m dressed. Olivia’s supposed to like me despite that, right?”

Diane smiles softly. “Of course, but it won’t kill you to look decent. And trust me, you are a sight for sore eyes. You’ll knock her socks right off.”

“Mom…,” He blushes adorably. “You’re not helping.”

“What?” She says innocently. “Can’t I tell you how handsome you are? I am your mother.”

He rolls his eyes with a smile. “I’m getting nervous.” Max admits, tugging at his ear. “What if I make a fool of myself?”

“None of that talk young man.” She warns playfully. “You’re an Evans. The day we make fools of ourselves, your sister is bound to pass up a shopping spree. It’s just impossible.”

Max smiles gratefully. “So, how should I act?”

Cupping his face, she kisses his forehead lightly. “Just be yourself Maxwell. The rest will come naturally. I know Olivia is going to just adore you, I already do.”

“Thanks ma.” He grins, checking his appearances in the mirror. “I’ll see you later.”

“Bye sweetie.” Diane replies, watching with pride as he marches out of his room.

“What are you thinking about?”

Snapping out my reverie, I glance over at Liz, a soft smile on her face as she looks up at me. “Huh?”

“You were smiling about something.” She continues, making her way over to me, maneuvering herself onto my lap.

Wrapping my arms snugly around her waist, I nuzzle her neck. “It was nothing, just a memory.”

“It must be a pleasant one if it’s got you grinning like a fool.” Liz teases, giggling.

“You have me grinning like a fool all the time.” I counter, kissing her shoulder. “Sometimes with you, mostly at you.”

“Funny.” She quips, rolling her eyes. “I would totally storm out of here, if my apartment wasn’t being renovated.”

“Right, sure.” I tease mockingly, twisting her around so she’s straddling me. “Then again, you’re moving out of it so why should you care.”

“You never know.” She replies coyly, her fingers tangled in the length of my hair. “I could get bored with you.”

“I highly doubt that.” I smile, reaching up to cup her cheek. “You love me.”

“I do.” Liz admits grudgingly, her eyes alight with mischief. “But don’t let it go to your head.”

“It already has.” I reply, my expression sincere. “I can’t wait for you to finally move in.”

“Me either.” Liz murmurs, leaning down to brush her lips over mine.

It’s been the best couple of days. Not only did I start a new job, but I asked her to move in with me. After dating for a little over four years now, it was a long time coming. I’d ask for her hand in marriage, but I know Liz. She’s now starting med school and still looking for a job. She thrives on her own independence, despite my reassurances. She’d never agree to marriage without being able to stand on her feet first. It’s just the way she is.

“Are you sure you’re okay with this?” She asks abruptly, her brown eyes filled with worry. “I mean, I don’t have a job yet and I just started school. I can’t help out with anything, you know, financially. It’s not fair to you.”

“Liz, I didn’t ask you to move in with me because I wanted financial help.” I answer, a small smile on my lips. “I asked you because I love you. Everything else is secondary.”

“But I’m an extra mouth to feed.” Liz persists. “You need some kind of assist---”

Taking her face in my hands, I kiss her into silence. “Baby, stop worrying. We talked about this. We agreed that you’d concentrate on school. If you could fit a job into that, then great. If you can’t, that’s fine too. There’s no need to get all bent out of shape. I can support you Liz. For as long as you need me to.”

“I love you.” She whispers, resting her forehead against mine. “So much.”

“I love you too.” I return, tucking her hair behind her ears. “I love you so much, that I need a huge favor.”

Leaning back, she looks at my face expectantly. “What is it?”

“Could you maybe, start dinner for me?” I ask sheepishly, noting her incredulous expression. “I kind of promised Micheal I’d meet him at the gym.”

“You want me to cook?” Liz queries in surprise, gesturing to herself. “I thought you abdicated me of that right when I attempted to make thanksgiving dinner last year?”

“I did.” I nod, smirking at her. “Now I’m giving it back.”

“Are you sure?” She asks skeptically, biting her bottom lip. “I don’t want to make you sick again.”

“You won’t.” I reply, kissing her nose tenderly before lifting her up and sitting her down in my vacated seat. “I trust you won’t lather the food with onions again, seeing as I’m allergic and all.”

Her face goes white in remembrance. “I don’t think I should do this.”

I laugh at her disposition. “I’m kidding baby.” Stripping off my work shirt and tossing it on the bed, I walk over to the closet for my gym attire.

“Well, what should I make?” Liz queries, looking up at me.

“Whatever you want.” I answer, slipping into a pair of sweats. “As long as it’s edible.”

“Keep teasing me Max.” She warns lightly, getting up from her seat. “I’ll make sure you swallow an onion.”

“You’re not that cruel.” I chuckle, lacing up my sneakers. “Did you check the messages today babe?”

“Yep.” Liz answered, clearing up her books from the bed. “Some old ones. A recent one from your dad though.”

“Oh?” I query, my tone serious, much to Liz’s notice.

I wonder what he wants. We haven’t spoken in nearly a year now, not that I’m complaining. It’s on my behalf after all. Ever since he remarried two years ago, I’ve made it a point to keep my distance from him and his new wife. I can’t bear to see him.

“Yeah, it’s um, his birthday next week.” She answers. “He and Charlene are having a little get together on the weekend. He wants you to be there.”

“Right.” I murmur stonily, throwing on a wife beater. “I suppose Isabel’s going.”

“I wouldn’t know.” Liz shrugs, watching me intently. “Should I book a flight out to Roswell this weekend?”

“No.” I reply curtly. “I can’t travel right now. I just started a new job, you with school. That’s more important than a birthday party.”

She sighs heavily. “Max, he sounded really excited about it. Can’t you make this one exception?”

“Can we talk about this later?” I counter, gathering up my gym bag. “I’m late.”

“Fine, whatever.” She replies indifferently, shaking her head. “Have a good workout.”

“Liz…,” I whisper, quickly grabbing her around the waist before she left the room. “Come on, don’t be upset.”

“I’m not.” She denies, glancing up at my disbelieving smirk. “You make me sick.”

I grin down at her. “I promise you, we’ll talk when I get back.” I reply, gazing into her eyes. “Okay?”

“Okay.”

Leaning down, I capture her lips in a slow, gentle kiss. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Liz murmurs, her eyes glazed over. “Don’t stay out for too long. Micheal’s been seeing a lot more of you than I have for the past week. I’m beginning to think there’s some affair going on between you two.”

“No affair baby.” I say with a smile, peppering kisses all over her face, down the column of her throat. “You’re the only woman I want, straight or otherwise.”

“You’d better.” She grins. “Go. Before I keep you here.”

“I’m going.” I laugh, kissing her one last time. “Don’t burn down the kitchen.”

“Shut up.”

“You’re the weakest piece of shit that ever lived, you know that?”

“Fuck you Maxwell.” Micheal pants, lifting the sixty pound weights that I’m precariously balancing for him. “This shit is heavy.”

Heavy?” I scoff, an incredulous smile on my lips. “I just did two sets of eighty.”

“Fuck, I’m out of shape. You happy now?” He exclaims, sitting up from the bench as I place the weights back on the beams. “Between work and Maria, I can barely get in an hour anymore.”

“Understandable.” I shrug, handing him a towel. “I’m surprised she let you out at all tonight.”

“That’s cause she’s not home.” Micheal replies, wiping the sweat from his face. “As a matter of fact, we’ve got an hour left before I have to dip. Let’s not waste it.”

“God, you’re whipped.” I chuckle.

He gives me the finger. “When you and Liz finally tie the knot, we’ll see how much freedom you’ll have.”

I roll my eyes. “Liz isn’t like that.” I tell him, stretching my muscles. “My woman’s practical, realistic. She’d never have me on lockdown.”

“Yeah, you keep believing that.” Micheal quips, reaching into his pocket before tossing me a black box.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. “What’s this?”

“The engagement ring you asked me to hold onto.” He answers. “I figured you’d want it back since Liz is moving in with you.”

“Are you crazy?” I retort, tossing it back to him. “She’ll find it.”

Micheal looks at me in bewilderment. “Isn’t that the point?”

I shake my head. “Liz isn’t ready for marriage. She’d kill me if she found that.”

He looks at me with a raised eyebrow. “She tell you that?”

“Not directly.”

“So how do you know?”

“I just do.” I answer, not missing his exaggerated sigh. “Look, I know Liz alright. I know how she thinks. She’s bussing her ass with school and looking for a job, marriage is the farthest thing from her mind at this point.”

Micheal looks pensive. “Is that what you want? I mean, you already bought the ring Max. It’s obvious what your intentions are.”

“I just want to make her happy.” I reply. “If she needs time, then I’ll give it to her.”

“And I’m whipped.” He mumbles underneath his breathe. I heard him none the less.

“So…,” I begin, continuing my warm up. “I hear you’re the best damn sports writer the Boston Globe‘s ever had in the last decade. How’d that happen?”

“You got me.” Micheal smirks, a modest smile on his lips. “That’s a bit of an exaggeration.”

“You don’t say.” I tease, clapping his shoulder. “It’s well deserved man. Truth is truth. You’re good at what you do. There’s no room for exaggeration.”

“Thanks.” He replies, nodding his head. “I guess the props should be reciprocated. I heard about the new job. Managerial position at the firm, that’s pretty impressive. I bet the pay is too.”

“It’s not bad.” I agree, grinning. “But, I owe a lot to Jesse. If he didn’t pull as many strings as he did, I doubt I’d be as lucky.”

“Man, fuck this.” Micheal grumbles, dropping the weights to the floor. “I’m beat. Let’s get the hell outta here.”

“I thought we had an hour?” I query in surprise.

“That hour dwindled down to forty minutes in the midst of our conversation.” He answers, packing up his things. “Now I’m hungry.”

I follow suit. “And you wonder why you’re out of shape?”

His glare is unmistakable. “You’re just a barrel of jokes today.”

“I try.” I snort, wiping the excess sweat from my arms and chest. “Let me get my stuff from the locker.”

“Hurry up.”

Jogging into the back room, I quickly scramble for my locker and put in the combination. Pulling my bag out from it’s confinement, a piece of paper falls to my feet.

Where’d that come from?

Bending down to retrieve it, I see my name imprinted on the front in big bold lettering, the script completely unrecognizable.

Flipping open the paper, I squint to read the fine print.

Max,

I knew you’d be beautiful. She said as much. I’ve always heard the most about your eyes. About how they glow like speckles of gold behind a sheath of brown. I have yet to see them for myself. There’s no doubt in my mind that she was right. She loved you even then.

Take care,
M.R.

M.R.? Who the hell is that?

“I thought I told you to hurry up.” Micheal’s voice penetrates my senses.

“I-I was.” I answer, trying to clear my head. “I’m coming.”

“What’s that?” He asks, his eyes gesturing to the note in my hand.

“I don’t know.” I reply truthfully, glancing at it again. “It just fell out of my locker when I opened it.”

Micheal narrows his eyes. “Let me see.”

Passing it over, he browses the note before a smile breaks out on his face. “It looks like you have an admirer.”

“Who?” I whisper, glancing around the gym for any prying eyes. “I mean, why put it in my locker instead of giving it to me?”

“I don’t know.” He shrugs. “Maybe she’s shy. It’s not a big deal Max.”

“I guess not.” I murmur, wishing I believed it.

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:20 am, edited 26 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 2

Post by Jason's Lover »

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm glad you all like it. I hope you enjoy this update!

It’s been a week since that first letter. Eight hours since the second one. I found it in my car this morning on my way to work. The letter had my name in the same bold lettering, the same initials. I don’t know what game this person seems to be playing, but it’s starting to piss me off.

And the weirdest thing happened two nights ago. For the first time in ten years, I dreamt about my mother. The way her eyes were always so compassionate. Her smile, how it warmed you even on the coldest days, the soft timber of her voice. The dream started out so reflective, like an afternoon she and I would spend together, just talking and laughing, but it ended quite differently.

It sped up, to that day when she disappeared, and all the anguished I felt, hit me like a ton of bricks. I was fourteen again, at the dining room table along with Isabel, receiving the news from my father that she was missing. It was the first time I’d ever cried myself to sleep. Then the dream changed. She was being pulled away from me, dragged down a long corridor by some unseeing force, and no matter how fast I ran after her, I couldn‘t reach her in time, until she vanished completely from my sight.

I had the same dream last night. I don’t know what the hell it means, but it’s all I could think about since I’ve been awake. Thankfully, Liz wasn’t with me last night. I’m sure she would’ve wanted an explanation. One that I’m not too sure I could give her right now.

“Here…,” Jesse announces suddenly, dropping a yellow folder on the desk in front of me. “I wanted you to take a look at this.”

I pick up the folder, browsing it over. “Joseph and Cathleen Rainey…requested settlement for fifty thousand dollars by Mrs. Rainey.” My eyebrows furrow in confusion. “She’s suing her husband?”

“Ex-husband.” He corrects, loosening his tie. “They were clients of mine a few months back. He committed infidelity, so she filed for divorce. As it turns out, the house they purchased was in her name. She wanted all rights and ownership to the property. He had a counterclaim, insisting it was his labor and higher wage that paid the mortgage. It was a nasty fallout. It still hasn’t been resolved yet.”

“So, you want me to take care of it.” I state, placing the folder back on the desk.

“Well, the wedding’s next weekend.” Jesse replies, throwing on his suit jacket. “I was planning on taking off from work this coming week to help Isabel with any final arrangements. I was hoping you could handle this while I’m away.”

I arch an eyebrow in surprise. “You‘d trust me with something like that?”

Jesse laughs. “I wouldn’t have made you my head manager if I didn’t. It’s easy stuff. All you need to do is meet with them, tough out the conflict bound to arise, sign the papers, and refer them to another court.”

I nod slowly. “Sure, that sounds simple enough.”

“It’s not a problem, is it?” He queries, closing up his briefcase. “I could always ask someone else.”

“I got it Jesse.” I assure him. “It‘s my job. And besides, Isabel would lynch me if I said no.”

He grins. “True. She does has a fiery temper when you start her up.”

“I know that better than anyone.” I smirk. “She ever tell you about the time I switched her facial purifiers with mayo?”

“No, she hasn’t.” He answers. “I don’t even think I want to know.”

I smile in remembrance. “I figured you wouldn’t.”

“Well, I’m leaving.” Jesse says, making his way to the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow Max.”

“Okay.” I reply distractedly.

“Max…,” He calls out, his expression showing his concern. “Besides becoming family pretty soon, I wouldn’t be much of a friend if I didn’t ask, you okay, man? You’re mind’s been elsewhere all day.”

“I’m fine.” I reply, forcing a smile. “I just…I‘m just thinking about a lot.”

“If you’re worried about the reception, you know, about you catering it for us, it’s not really necessary.”

“No, it’s not about that.” I tell him. “And god, if you mention me catering the reception one more time, I swear I’m not going to attend the wedding.”

“Okay, sorry.” Jesse apologizes sheepishly. “Is it Liz? She pressuring you about a walk down the aisle now?”

I wish. “Nah, she’s pretty much still neutral on the whole marriage thing.”

“She’ll give in.” He smiles. “Come on, let’s get some coffee or something.”

I stand up from the desk, throwing my jacket across my forearm. “You buying?”

Jesse holds open the door for me. “Eh, why not. I’m marrying your sister after all.”

I chuckle. “Good luck with that, you’ll need it.”

“Don’t I know it.”

It’s two hours later when Jesse and I finally go our separate ways. We didn’t go for coffee either. It didn’t feel like a coffee night, despite the frigid wind that blew across my face as I stepped out of the bar.

Zipping up my coat to ward off the chill, I shove my hands in my pocket as I walk to my car. After living in Boston for six years now, you’d think I’d be used to the weather. But being raised in Roswell my whole life, where it rarely ever dropped to sixty degrees, it’s quite understandable why I haven’t adjusted.

I never thought I’d survive in this city, the fast paced lifestyle, the different people, but now that I know that I can, I couldn’t imagine ever residing anywhere else. Leaving Roswell was the hardest decision I ever made, but after what I endured since my mother’s disappearance, I realized that I couldn’t stay. I couldn’t pretend that I was fine, knowing that I’d never be happy if I stayed in that town.

Everyone knew about the incident. Even my teachers. I had to deal with the reality of the situation every day when I went home, and it was ten times worse when anyone I hung out with made it their purpose to tell me how sorry they were. Consciously, I knew they were just being sympathetic, but pity was the last thing I wanted or needed. What I really yearned for wasn’t coming back.

It was the most devastating time in my entire life. I felt like I was suffocating. So I did what I had to. I earned my grades, and when the time came, I applied to every college I could think of outside of New Mexico, and graduated with honors. My father was proud to say the least, I remember vividly the expression on his face when I got up on that stage to receive my diploma. It was the same expression my mother would’ve had. We were both thinking it then, but as always, neither of us said it. It wouldn’t have made much of a difference. He wasn’t privy to me wanting to attend college out of state, we’ve had many disagreements about the matter, but once I was eighteen, there was really little he could do to stop me.

The hardest part was leaving Isabel behind. She was sixteen at the time, a sophomore in high school. She begged me not to go, but she knew just as much as I did, that staying wasn’t an option anymore. I felt incredibly guilty, knowing how close we were and what that would mean for her. But even at that age, she understood what I had to do, and why I needed to do it. I was grateful she didn’t hold it against me. In fact, she promised that as soon as she graduated, she’d come and see me. And she did. She hasn’t left since.

My first week at Boston University was horrid. I didn‘t know where the heck the classrooms were, I couldn’t find my schedule, and to top it off, my professor humiliated me in front of the entire class for my relentless tardiness. I was starting to regret ever coming to the damn place, until I met Liz the next day on campus. I was studying, and for some reason, I looked up, catching sight of her walking across the grass with a pile of books in her hand. To say that I was mesmerized was an understatement. I remember staring, unabashedly, marveling at how beautiful she is with her long, brown silky hair and graceful figure. I’d never seen anything more gorgeous.

It took me a while, during my perusal, to notice that she’d dropped her things on the ground. Immediately springing into action, I jumped up from the bench and walked over to her, offering to help. She lifted her eyes to mine, an inviting smile on her lips, and as cheesy as this may sound, I was a total goner. There was attraction, definitely, but more than that, I felt a need to be near her, to consume myself with her presence.

I don’t know where the boldness came from, but after exchanging names and small talk, I asked her to join me for coffee. She accepted, and ever since then we became close friends. We didn’t date until two years later, despite the strong desire to do so, in fear of jeopardizing our friendship. But one evening, she came to my dorm room, and before she even got a word out, I kissed her. It was the riskiest thing I ever did, and I thank god every day that it wasn’t my last.

My phone vibrating in my pocket startled me from my thoughts. Retrieving it quickly before it went to voice message, I flip it open.

“Hello?”

Hey.” Liz replies, her tone soft and soothing. “Where are you?

“I’m on my way home.” I answer, relishing in her voice. “I was just thinking about you.”

Really?” She murmurs, sounding sheepish. “You’ve been on my mind all day. I haven’t seen you since yesterday afternoon…haven’t touched you.

I close my eyes in longing. “Tell me you’re at my place.”

I am.” She answers. “I’m waiting for you.”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can.” I whisper huskily, fishing out my car keys. “Don’t start without me.”

I won’t.” She promises. “Hurry.” Clicking off the phone, I shove it back in my pocket and unlock my car door.

Starting up the engine, I speed off down the street. What’s usually a twenty-five minute drive, turned out to be fifteen. Talk about motivation.

Before I could even unlock the door, it swings open, Liz pulling me in by my collar. Slanting my mouth over hers, she pushes my coat and blazer from my shoulders, the garments making a heavy thud as they drop to the floor.

“You took forever.” She whispers, pulling away from the kiss.

“I’m sorry, baby.” I reply, my lips attaching to a spot below her ear. “The traffic was crazy.”

“Well, you’re here now.” She says, her fingers swiftly unbuttoning my shirt. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” I murmur, capturing her mouth again in a torrid kiss.

Shedding the remainder of our clothing, I lay her down gently in the middle of the bed, her legs parting to accommodate my body. Trailing my hands down her side, I entwine our fingers, raising them above her head.

Staring into her eyes, I hold her gaze as I sheath myself inside her warmth. Hissing at the sensation, I drive into her steadily, intently watching the pleasure flit across her face. Feeling the end approaching, I increase my pace, thrusting harder, desperately wanting to feel her fall apart as much as I do for myself.

Her mouth opening on a silent gasp, I grip her tighter, welcoming the sting of her nails digging into my back as she finds release. Feeling her walls contracting around me, I thrust deeply, jerking forward as I empty myself inside her.

“I love you.” I whisper breathlessly, kissing her tenderly as I frame her face in my palms. “So much.”

Liz smiles, brushing my bangs away from my eyes. “I love you too.”

Rolling off to her side, I gather her close, her body fitting snugly next to mine. Placing a soft kiss on her shoulder, I rest my hand on her stomach.

“You okay?” I ask, my breath parting her hair.

“I’m perfect.” She sighs contently, wrapping my arms tighter around her body.

Raising my head to look down at her, her breathing evens out as she closes her eyes. I nudge her lightly. “I hope you aren’t going to sleep. I’m no where near being done with you yet.”

She grins, her eyes still closed. “No, I’m not sleeping. I’m just reveling in the feel of having your arms around me. I miss it.”

“I’ll always hold you.” I murmur, skimming my lips up the column of her neck. “You don’t have to miss it.”

“I know.” Liz replies, placing an open mouthed kiss to my bicep. “But since we started all these new things recently, we barely have any time to just be, you know, be with each other, like this, without any distractions or obligations. Sometimes I wish we could just pack up and go on vacation or something.”

“Well, the summer isn’t that far away.” I remind her. “Maybe we could really do that.”

“I guess.” She says pensively. “Could we go to Paris? I always wanted to go there. It seems like such a romantic place.”

I pull her closer, her head underneath my chin. “Baby, I’d go anywhere and do anything as long as it’s with you.”

“Can we get a cat?” Liz asks purposely, turning her head to regard me. “What? You said you’d do anything.”

“Except that.” I amend, much to her chagrin. “I hate those things. Cats freak me out. They always have. I can’t even explain it better than that.”

“It’s just a fear.” Liz replies. “And like most fears, you try and overcome them.”

I shake my head. “Not this one.”

“Max, you had a pet tarantula in college.” She says incredulously. “How could you be afraid of cats and not spiders?”

“I don’t know.” I answer. “I’m weird.”

“You sure are.” She quips. “Speaking of weird, I had the strangest conversation with my dad today.”

“Oh?” I query. “What’d he say?”

“It’s more like what he didn’t say.” Liz clarifies, a worried crease on her forehead. “Usually he’s so happy to hear from me. But today, it was like he barely had anything to say. It was just really weird.”

I shrug. “Maybe he was tied up with something.”

“Maybe.” She murmurs distractedly. “I’m just really worried about him. Ever since he and mom divorced, he’s been acting so different.”

“They got divorced Liz, not by his preservation either.” I say gently. “He’s just trying to adjust to a new lifestyle. I’m sure he’ll get over it with time. He wouldn’t make you worry intentionally.”

“You’re right, I’m just paranoid.” She replies, shaking her head self deprecatingly. “Or maybe I feel guilty for not being able to visit as often as I’d like to. But god, California is a long way from here. It’s not my fault. I’m so busy with school and my life. I can‘t always be and do everything. I‘m not---”

“Liz…,” I interject, turning her body around to face me, effectively putting an end to her ranting. “No one expects anything more from you than what you’re able to give. You shouldn’t either.”

Her eyes soften, an inquisitive expression on her face. “Don’t you want more? From me? From us? We’ve been doing this for four years now, and I can’t help but think that I’m not all you need me to be.”

“You’re everything Liz.” I reply fiercely, cupping her cheek. “Don’t ever think you’re not enough for me. Don’t ever doubt who you are. There’s so much about you, so much that I love, and everyday you amaze me with something new. I could never be with anyone else, could never love someone the way that I love you.”

She leans over to kiss me, the caress lingering. “I’m sorry. I don’t know where that came from.” Liz smiles sheepishly. “I just had a bad day.”

I pull her across my body, my arms tightly coiled around her. “Don’t apologize. You’re human. You’re allowed to have a bad day. That‘s what I‘m here for.”

“And I love you all the more for it.” She grins, laying her head on my chest. “You’re one hell of a man Max Evans.”

I chuckle at her admission. “Don’t flatter me baby. I already have you.”

Liz slaps my chest playfully. “It wasn’t flattery, it was the truth. Why am I stroking your ego anyway?”

“Especially when you could be stroking something else.” I say seductively, smirking as she looks up at me with an intrigued smile.

Inching her hand down my stomach, she tilts her head to the side. “Now, that’s an idea.”

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 3

Post by Jason's Lover »

Max,

She spoke so fondly of you. Like you were her only anchor in the world. She said you were an old soul - wise beyond your years, but still so untainted. It was a contradiction. One she both loved and envied. She wished she was able to go back to a time when her own life wasn’t as complicated, so unattached. But it wasn’t possible. She knew that - and now, so do you.

Take care,

M.R.

Who knew what? Who is this person referring to? Why is this happening to me?

I just received another letter. The wording is just as cryptic as before, just as mind boggling. It’s starting to drive me insane. Obviously, this person knows who I am or has some affiliation with someone I know or knew in the past. It’s extremely disconcerting that someone you have no connection with seems to know something about you. It’s making me really paranoid.

“Mr. Evans, here’s that file you requested.” Julia Taylor announces, my personal assistant.

I jump at the sound of her voice, the letter falling to the ground. I bend down to retrieve it, discreetly placing it in my pocket.

“Thanks Julia.” I murmur, rearranging things on my desk to accommodate the file. “You can just um, put it right there.”

She nods dutifully. “Mr. Evans, I-I don’t mean to pry, but are you okay?”

I look up at her, meeting her gaze. “I’m fine. Why do you ask?”

Julia shrugs. “No reason in particular. It’s just that, well, you’ve been really jumpy all day. You seem kind of tense.”

I force a smile. “No, I’m perfectly, absolutely, positively fine. Thanks for asking.”

She nods slowly. “I know this may be a bit overwhelming for you, you know, taking over for Mr. Ramirez in his absence. I just want you to know that I’m offering my help…if you need it.”

I arch an eyebrow. “Your help?”

Julia smiles. “I can take on more. More duties, more responsibility. I can even do some overtime.”

“That’s really nice of you, but I couldn‘t take you up on your offer.” I respond politely. “I can manage.”

“Okay.” She says, seemingly disappointed. “Well, is there anything else I can do for you?”

I sigh with her persistence. “Yeah, can you get in contact with Mr. and Mrs. Rainey? They were supposed to be here over an hour ago. I’d like to know what’s the delay.”

Julia nods. “I’ll get right on it.”

I roll my eyes with her departure. Julia’s been my assistant for a few months now, but she’s always been pretty professional with me. Lately she’s been a bit chatty, somewhat nosey. I wouldn’t like to think that it’s a crush, because quite frankly, I’m not interested. I hope I’m wrong.

Frowning with the realization that I’m going to be here longer than I’d planned, I decide to give Liz a call.

Dialing her number, it rings a total of six times before being transferred to her voice mail. I leave a message.

“Hey baby, it’s me. I’m stuck here for about another hour or two. My clients haven’t showed up yet and I haven’t the slightest idea when they will. I’m just waiting, trying not to pull my hair out. Anyway, I love you. I miss you. Call me when you get this message. Bye.”

Placing the phone back in it’s cradle, my cell vibrates immediately after in my pocket. It must be Liz. I answer it instantaneously.

“Liz?”

No, but I’m sure if you had bothered to look at the caller id, you would’ve known that.” Micheal says sarcastically, chuckling.

“I just left a message on her cell.” I explain justifiably. “I thought she was calling me back.”

Did the message contain a lot of heavy breathing and groaning?

I roll my eyes in irritation. “Did you actually call for a reason other than to annoy me?”

Micheal laughs in earnest. “I’ve got good news.

“What?”

Remember those hockey tickets that were sold out about a month ago?

“Yeah, what about them?”

I just bought two available seats from a very reliable source. The game’s tonight.

I frown in skepticism. “Who’d you buy them from?”

Kyle Valenti. And does it matter? We got the freaking tickets man.

I shake my head incredulously. “Kyle Valenti is your reliable source? You’d trust his credibility? He’s a fucking scam artist. Micheal, get your money back. For all you know those seats are way up in the balcony or something. We’d be better off watching it at home.”

The tickets say row 5, seats 26 and 27. That’s right up in the middle. And stop making excuses. It’s either you’re coming or you’re not.

I sigh heavily. “What time does it start?”

Eight o’ clock sharp. Seven thirty is the preference, you know, to avoid the long ass lines and what not. The earlier we get there the better.

I rub my chin in thought. “I don’t know, man. I’m still at work, waiting for these clients to show up. I don’t know when I’ll be out of here.”

You got two hours. Surely you’ll be done before then.

“Who knows.”

“Mr. Evans…,” Julia’s voice reverberates through the intercom. “Mr. and Mrs. Rainey have arrived. Shall I send them in?”

Removing the cell from my ear, I hold down the speaker button on the intercom. “Yes, please.”

“Hey, Micheal…,” I say quickly, resuming our conversation. “My clients just arrived. I got to go. If this is over really soon, I’ll give you a call and we could meet up.”

Alright. Don’t forget to ask Liz for permission.” He jokes.

“Fuck you.” I retort, clicking off the phone.

“That game was awesome.” I exclaim excitedly, a huge hockey puck hat on my head. “It was just fucking amazing.”

“It was.” Micheal agrees. “Especially that last goal Steven made. The Bruins win yet another victory.”

“Like they’d ever lose.” I snort, lighting up a cigarette. “They’re the greatest hockey team ever.”

“Don’t let a Canuck here you say that.” He advises, shaking one lone finger at me. “They’ll skin you alive.”

I take a deep drag, blowing out the smoke. “We’re in Boston. There are no Canadians around.”

“They’re everywhere.” Micheal replies, glancing at me. “Would you take that fucking hat off? It’s ridiculously big.”

“I like it.” I retort. “And besides, a kid gave it to me. The least I could do is wear it.”

“That kid was smart.” He quips. “He knew he’d look like a dick with it on. So he willingly gave it to you.”

I give him the finger, stubbing out my cigarette. “So, it’s still relatively early. Where you want to go next?”

Micheal shrugs. “I’m kind of hungry. I could really go for a burger.”

I nod. “Me too.”

Lounging at Vicki’s, the local burger joint twenty minutes later, Micheal and I order another round of drinks. For the fifth time that night, I check my cell for any missed calls from Liz.

“She hasn’t called you back yet?” Micheal queries, lathering his fries with ketchup.

“Nope.” I respond, placing my cell back in my pocket. “It’s been hours now. I don’t know where she could be this long.”

“Maybe she’s busy.” He shrugs. “Didn’t she have classes today?”

I nod, sipping a chilled corona. “But they’re over at four. That was six hours ago.”

Micheal rolls his eyes. “She’s a big girl, Maxwell. Stop obsessing. Liz can take care of herself.”

“I know that.” I reply defensively. “It’s just weird. I mean, she usually calls me in between the day. I haven’t heard from her since this morning. I‘m just a little worried.”

His eyebrows furrow in concern. “Why?”

I stare at him for a while; contemplating if I should tell him about the last two letters or keep it to myself. He may not see the big deal about it, but I desperately need to talk to someone about this.

I lick my suddenly dry lips, clearing my throat. “You remember that letter I found in my locker? That night we went to the gym?”

Michel nods, chewing slowly. “What about it?”

“I keep getting more of them.” I admit, my tone serious. “Well, two more. I don’t know who they’re from. And they all have the same initials on them. This M.R. - whoever that is.”

He arches an eyebrow. “You found them at the gym again?”

I shake my head. “No, it’s always different places. The second one I found in my car three nights ago, and the third one was on my desk this morning when I came to work.”

Micheal frowns, putting his drink down. “What exactly do these letters say?”

“All kinds of things.” I answer, looking down at the table. “It sounds like this person knows me - knows who I am, what I look like, my personality. I-I don’t even understand it to put it into words.”

I look up at him, trying to gauge his reaction. He seems deep in thought. “And you don’t have any idea who it could be?”

I sigh, picking at my food. “None.”

“What about Julia?” He suggests, his eyes wide. “I’ve noticed the looks she’s been giving you when I visit your job. She definitely has it bad.”

“I thought about that, but I don’t think it’s her.” I reply, rubbing my upper lip. “I mean, she is a bit annoying when I’m around, but she’s a nice girl. And besides that, these letters aren’t from some secret admirer or someone with a crush. It’s deeper than that. That’s blatantly obvious when you read them.”

Micheal purses his lips, leaning forward. “You want me to check it out for you?”

I bite my lip, my tone eager. “You can?”

“I know I’m just a sports writer, but I have access to certain fields. “He explains. “I can look up classified information, people’s residencies, penmanship identifications, that type of that thing.”

I arch an eyebrow in curiosity. “Aren’t you supposed to just research sports related issues?”

He rolls his eyes. “Okay, so they’re restricted fields. The point is, I can do this. Do you want my help or not?”

I shake my head. “Not at the cost of your job. I can’t ask you to do that.”

“Isn’t this important?” He whispers persistently. “I thought you wanted answers?”

“I do.” I whisper back. “But I can’t let you take a risk like that, Micheal. Not when it’s my problem you’re trying to solve.”

“I fucking offered.” Micheal retorts, pushing his empty plate aside. “I wouldn’t have if it was an impossible task to begin with.”

I still decline his assistance. “I can deal with it.”

“Can you really?” He counters boldly, his gaze piercing. “I know you, Max. You told me because you’re freaked out about it. I’m willing to bet you haven’t even told Liz yet.”

My silence is answer enough. I usually tell Liz everything. But for some reason, I can’t find it in myself to mention this to her. The words just won’t come to me.

“I knew it.” Micheal responds, a knowing frown on his face. “If you haven’t told Liz about it, then I know it’s serious.”

“What am I supposed to say to her?” I exclaim, my expression miserable. “Hey Liz, I’ve been getting these letters from some person who seems to know who I am, and oh yeah, I don’t know who the hell it is. She’d think I’m a fucking lunatic.”

“If you explain it like that, of course she would.” He retorts. “You know her Max - better than anyone. She would never think that.”

I shake my head. “I can’t bring her into this. Whatever this is. I don’t even know what I’m dealing with. It could be dangerous.”

“All the more reason to let her know.” Micheal insists. “She’ll be pissed if you keep her in the dark about it.”

My cell vibrating in my pocket cuts off my retort. Quickly retrieving it, I glance at the caller id, visibly relieved to see Liz’s name.

“Where are you?” I ask her.

I’m home.” She answers, sounding tired. “I just got your message.

“Where were you?” I query. “I’ve been calling you all day.”

I was in Newbury.

I arch an eyebrow. “What were you doing in Newbury? That’s two hours away from here.”

Jay and I had to drive up to this medical facility and be interns for the day.” Liz explains. “Sort of like volunteer work - stupid class requirement. I’m completely worn out.

I blink rapidly. “Jay? Isn’t he that blonde guy from your class?”

Yeah.

I nod slowly. “So you spent the whole day with him?”

Not exactly with him.” She replies. “We were doing what we came there to do.

“But you were with him.” I state, clutching the phone to my ear.

Liz sighs heavily. “Max, I’m tired, hungry and so damn sleepy. I’m not really up for one of your jealousy induced moments.

“Sorry.” I mumble apologetically. “Look, I’m at Vicki’s right now with Micheal. Do you want me to bring you back something?”

Please.” She replies. “I don’t even care what it is. Just as long as it’s edible.

I chuckle softly. “Okay. I’ll be home soon.”

Alright. I love you.

“I love you too.”

Clicking the phone off, I meet Micheal’s inquisitive gaze across the table. “She’s home. Safe and sound - a little hungry though.”

“I heard all of that.” He replies, waving his hand carelessly. “I want to know if you’re going to tell her about the letters.”

I stand up from my seat, dropping some bills onto the table. “Micheal--”

“Fine.” He interjects, following suit. “Don’t tell her. She’ll just find them on her own, and assume what she wants. And let me warn you, when a woman starts assuming things, the end result is never pretty.”

“I will tell her.” I say in rebuttal, calling the waitress over to take an order to go. “When the time’s right.”

Micheal snorts. “Then she’ll never know.”

TBC…
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 4

Post by Jason's Lover »

Check out the banner Hybrid made on the first page. It's absolutely gorgeous!

“I’d like to make a toast.”

Everyone looks up at my announcement, respectably halting their conversations and returning their drinks to the table. Making public speeches isn’t exactly my forte, but at my sister’s wedding reception, which I basically organized and put together, I’d say it’s pretty mandatory.

Catching Liz’s reassuring smile, I forge ahead, acutely aware of everyone’s gaze.

“I’m Max Evans, best man and Isabel’s brother. I happen to be older - just thought I’d state that pertinent fact incase she happened to not inform any of you about it.” I joke, smirking as Isabel rolls her eyes. “She and I have always been close, always shared this special bond when we were growing up. Some people used to think that it wasn’t normal, you know, for an older brother to be so attached to a sibling, to his little sister, but I guess they never had a sister like Isabel. She’s just an amazing person. Incredibly loyal and caring. She has one of the biggest hearts, and is quite simply, the best sister anyone could ask for. Jesse, you’ve got your work cut out for you, and I mean that in the most sincerest way possible. But, I think you can handle her. So, with that being said, welcome to the family, and I wish you both the best of luck and a long life together.”

Raising my champagne glass in the air, I look over to Jesse and Isabel and nod slightly. “To the happy couple.”

Everyone applauds loudly, echoing my words. Smiling timidly, I sit back down, finishing off the rest of my champagne.

Liz leans over and kisses my cheek tenderly. “For someone that despises being the center of attention, you certainly work a room pretty well.”

I glance over at her with a skeptic frown. “You think so?”

She nods, wiping her lip stick off my cheek. “Everything that you said was absolutely perfect. You warmed a lot of hearts this evening.”

I flush a deep red, scratching my neck self-consciously. “I think that’s a bit of an overstatement.”

Liz grins in amusement. “I think I know you too well.”

“Maybe so.” I agree. “Have you tasted the garlic wings yet?”

“Only a million times.” She quips, sipping her wine. “I think I must’ve ate an entire pan by myself.”

I chuckle. “So they’re good?”

“Immensely.” Liz responds. “All the food is amazing.”

“It better be.” I reply. “As much money as I spent on this reception, the flowers should be edible too.”

Liz laughs. “It turned out really well. I think the cake is the nicest touch though. The miniature bride and groom. It’s cute. I like it.”

I nod, meeting her gaze. “I like it too.”

“You want to dance?”

I smile, engulfing her hand within mine. “With you? Always.”

Leading her onto the main floor, I wrap a secure arm around her waist, holding her close to my heart.

“You look absolutely beautiful.” I comment, gazing down at her. “I was a little annoyed that Isabel wouldn’t allow me to see you until the ceremony, but looking at you now, I know why she did it. I would’ve mauled you the second I saw you.”

She grins, a pretty flush adorning her cheeks. “I wouldn’t have minded much. You look amazing too. You’re the sexiest man in here.”

I smile, leaning down to capture her lips in a soft kiss. “I’m not supposed to be.”

“You are to me.”

I shake my head with an embarrassed laugh. “Baby, you do wonders for my ego.”

Liz arches an eyebrow. “Isn’t that my job?”

“I guess it is.” I respond. “Speaking of jobs, I heard Maria quit hers. Why?”

“Her boss was a total jerk.” She answers. “There was a higher position she applied for and completely got overlooked despite her qualifications. He ended up giving the position to his very flirty assistant.”

I narrow my eyes. “That’s not exactly kosher in a working environment. Maria could’ve fought him on that.”

“Not when the honorary woman is his wife.” Liz includes. “He’s the chairman Max. It’s his way or none at all. I think she did the right thing handing in her notice. Who could compete with that?”

I nod in agreement. “So what are her options now?”

Liz shrugs. “I don’t think she’s too eager to get back out there again. Maria’s been working for years now. Maybe a little away time is what she needs. Besides, Micheal keeps telling her it’s fine if that’s what she wants to do. But, you know Maria, her burdens are her own. She hates it when someone else has to carry them for her, even if that someone is her husband.”

“I could understand that.” I murmur, my breathe parting her hair. “I mean, she’s known for her independence. I guess it’s a hard thing to rely so heavily on another person. No matter how many reassurances you bestow, it’s still not good enough. They have to see it on their own.”

Liz pulls away slightly to look up at me, her dark eyes inquisitive. “Is that how you see it?”

I hold her gaze. “You tell me. Am I wrong?”

She looks away for a brief moment, biting her lip. “You could be.”

I nod slowly. “I want to be wrong.”

Liz snaps her eyes to mine, an expression of pure astonishment on her face. “Max--”

“May I cut in?” Isabel interrupts cheerily, unaware of our discussion.

Liz stares at me a bit longer before looking at Isabel. “Sure. I’ll um, I’ll just go see what Maria’s up to.”

Isabel smiles gratefully. “When you find her, please give her my thanks for the wedding gift.”

“I will. And you make one gorgeous bride.”

She beams with delight. “Thank you. You look lovely yourself. By the way, thanks for being my bridesmaid. I really appreciate it.”

Liz shakes her head in dismissal. “It was my pleasure.”

She glances at me one last time before walking off. I watch her departure avidly.

“God, quit gawking.” Isabel quips good naturedly. “You get to go home with her.”

I smile, rolling my eyes. “Like you’re one to talk. You just married your gawkee.”

Gawkee?” Isabel laughs. “Is that even a word?”

“It’s my word.” I chuckle. “And that’s besides the point.”

“Well, in that case, you should follow by example.” She responds. “When am I going to attend your wedding?”

I sigh. “You’re asking the wrong person.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that I would have one tomorrow if I could.” I clarify. “But it’s not up to me. It’s Liz’s decision.”

Isabel raises her eyebrows in surprise. “Liz doesn’t want to marry you? You’re kidding right. That girl is crazy about you.”

“And I’m equally just as crazy about her.” I reply. “It’s not even about how we feel about each other. That’s a given. I think she’s trying to prove something.”

“Prove what? And to whom?”

I shrug. “To me, to herself, to her family. It could be all of us. I think she has doubts.”

Isabel looks up at me. “Did you give her reason to?”

I shake my head. “No. Never. I couldn’t do that to her. I love Liz. It doesn’t matter what she does or doesn’t do. That won’t change. I just wish she’d stop thinking she has to prove herself to me.”

She smiles sympathetically. “Just talk to her Max. Get this out in the open. The longer you keep it to yourself, the harder it’s going to be.”

I nod.

“I know you noticed Dad is here.” Isabel whispers, changing the subject. “You haven’t said a word to him all night.”

“What am I supposed to say?”

“Gee, I don’t know Max.” She says sarcastically. “Surely you could strike up a conversation with someone you haven’t seen in almost a year.”

I sigh, averting my gaze. “He brought her here Isabel.”

“She’s his wife Max.” Isabel says incredulously. “What was he supposed to do? Come alone and send her a post card?”

“You know how I feel about her.” I respond. “How I feel about them. I don’t approve of it and I won’t pretend like I do.”

“Your approval isn’t exactly a requirement.” Isabel notes. “It’s been two years now. Daddy remarried and he’s happy. Can’t you accept that?”

I glance across the room, spotting him and Charlene in an intimate embrace, and my heart clenches with the sight. I close my eyes, trying to erase the image from my head.

“No, I can’t.”

Isabel sighs. “Max--”

“She’s not mom.” I blurt out. “She can’t ever be her.”

“Of course not.” She murmurs, her gaze tearful. “No one could replace her. But Max, that’s all in the past now. When she disappeared, it devastated him. He was alone for all these years until Charlene came along.”

“We were alone too.” I say in rebuttal. “What did we do?”

You moved to another state.” Isabel says pointedly.

I look away, unable to protest.

“That wasn’t a jab at you.” She continues. “And no, I’m not bitter over it. I was just stating a fact.”

“This isn’t easy, okay?” I respond. “I don’t know what you want from me.”

“I want you to try. I’m not asking as a peace maker, or forcing you against your will. I’m asking you as your sister. Please Max, for me.”

I sigh heavily, fighting every restraint to deny her. “I’ll try, Isabel. But I’m not making any promises.”

“Maybe that’s not such a good thing.”

I turn my head at the intrusion, meeting Micheal’s serious gaze.

“Micheal, where have you been all evening?” Isabel demands, engulfing him in a hug. “You disappeared right after the ceremony.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that.” He replies, returning her embrace. “I just had something to take care of.”

She pulls away, straightening his bow tie. “Well, you’re here now. And please behave. Don’t make a spectacle like you did at Jesse’s bachelor party.”

He rolls his eyes. “I told you that wasn’t my fault. That guy tried to hussle me.”

“Excuses, excuses.” She teases, turning back to face me. “Max, I’ll see you later.”

“Okay.” I kiss her cheek before she walks away.

“Maxwell, I need to talk to you.” Micheal says once she’s gone. “It’s important.”

We walk off the floor, huddling into a secluded corner near the restrooms. I turn to him immediately.

“What is it?”

“First off, did you receive another letter?” He queries.

I shake my head.

“Good. Otherwise, it would screw up everything I found out.”

I frown in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“I did some research on the letters you gave me.”

I pin him with a glare. “I told you to drop that. I only gave you those letters because you asked to see them.”

Micheal shrugs. “And? What’s your point?”

“The point is you went behind my back.” I hiss. “God Micheal, this isn’t a game.”

“Who the fuck said it was?” He yells. “I fucking did you a favor. You should be grateful.”

“I am.” I retort, my ire deflating. “I just - I’m sorry. I didn’t want you to do anything to jeopardize yourself.”

“No one saw me.” Micheal replies. “I didn’t get caught.”

I nod slowly, blowing out a breath. “What did you find?”

“I did a background check on the hand writing, you know, scan it for fingerprints, though yours and mine did show up a lot. The point is, the person doesn’t live here.”

I narrow my eyes. “Where do they live?”

“Louisiana.”

Louisiana?” I repeat in bewilderment. “How the hell?”

“I don’t know. The details are sketchy.”

“Louisiana’s a pretty large state.” I say pointedly. “You can’t be any more specific than that?”

He shakes his head. “I could keep trying, but that’s all I got right now. What I can’t figure out is that if this person lives in Louisiana, then how do these letters manage to reach you in such the short span of time that they do.”

I close my eyes, pondering the same thing.

“What are you going to do?”

I rake a hand through my hair. “I don’t know.”

“Did you tell Liz?” He queries.

“No.”

Micheal snorts, rolling his eyes. “What the fuck are you waiting for?”

“This isn’t exactly a picnic for me.” I say defensively. “It’s not everyday something like this happens.”

“You might be leaving to get this figured out.” He retorts. “Doesn’t she deserve to know?”

I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration. “And she will. I’ll tell her.”

My eyes peruse the room, catching sight of Liz laughing, her entire face lighting up in mirth. I’d die before I let anything or anyone harm her.

“I’ll tell her tonight.”

TBC…
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 5

Post by Jason's Lover »

Again, sorry for the delay. Thanks for all the bumps!

The reception didn’t end until one thirty in the morning. It sort of turned into a full fledged party. After Micheal and I had our elicit discussion, I wasn’t particularly in the best of moods, much less enjoying myself. Truth be told, I haven’t been able to think about anything else for the remainder of the evening.

I was utterly distracted and it didn’t go unnoticed either. Liz approached me a few times during the night, her intuitiveness that something was bothering me highly disconcerting. She could always tell when I had something on my mind.

The entire drive home was absolute torture. Not only was I panicking at the prospect that lay ahead of me, but I kept thinking about the consequences of telling Liz about these letters. It just didn’t seem right to possibly tell her something that may put her in potential danger just for the sake of letting her know. The situation was quickly spinning out of control.

As we got home, the silence intensified ten fold. Liz sensed the shift in my focus, her anxiousness to inquire the reason written all over her face. Staring at me questionably, Liz arched an eyebrow, awaiting my response. When none came, she sighed knowingly, removing her heels from her feet before disappearing into the room. I followed her wordlessly.

Holding her now in bed, I still haven’t said anything and it’s literally eating me up inside to be so damn secretive. Sliding her hand across my chest to alert me to the fact that she’s still awake, I close my eyes briefly, taking a deep calming breath.

“I-I have to talk to you about something.” I begin hesitantly, staring up at the ceiling.

Liz tilts her head upward to face me, her eyes bright and glistening even in the darkened room. “I know.”

“You do?” I ask in bewilderment.

“Max, you’ve been acting weird all night.” She responds softly. “I know something’s wrong. And I think I know what it is.”

My heart rate accelerates at an abnormal speed as I frantically think of what to say.

Liz sits up beside me, her hair falling like a blanket of silk against the side of her face.

Resting her weight on her elbow, she stares down at me probingly. “It’s about us, isn’t it? What we were talking about at the reception before Isabel cut in?”

I open my mouth to speak but no words come out. She thinks it’s about us? About our relationship? What do I say?

Liz sighs, aware of my internal struggle. It's not what she thinks it is. “I knew it.”

“Liz -” I begin, finally finding my voice. “Let me explain. You don’t understand.” I have to tell her the truth.

“I do understand.” She whispers, resting her hand above my heart. “Max, just let me say this and hopefully you‘ll see where I‘m coming from.”

“You don’t have to say anything.” I interject, shaking my head. “I’m the one that needs to -”

She covers my mouth with her hand, cutting off my retort. “Please.”

I relent, silently waiting for her to begin. I take her hand in mine, entwining our fingers.

“Max, I grew up my whole life, watching my parents need the other almost to survival.” Liz says, her gaze flittering back and forth between my face and our joined fingers. “When they separated, life literally fell apart in every conceivable way possible. Audrey and I were apart of that. We saw first hand how depending on someone who’s supposed to be there for you goes awry. It’s not pretty and it’s far from being substantial.”

“I would never do that to you.” I say with complete conviction. “I couldn’t. I’d never abandon you.”

A small smile graces her lips as she cups my cheek. “I know. I know you wouldn’t. That’s why I love you - why I always will. But I need to do this on my own. I have to.”

“Why?” I ask, searching her face imploringly. “Let me be there for you. That’s all I ever want to do.”

“You are there for me.” Liz replies. “Every time I look at you, it just renews my determination to prove to myself that I‘m capable of doing this. It’s why I’m going to med school and setting all these standards for myself. I can’t screw up.”

I sigh, staring up at her in resignation. I know she’s adamant about this. I can see it in her eyes.

“After you find what you’re looking for, and you accomplish all that you need to, will you accept my proposal?” I ask softly, holding her gaze. “Will you marry me?”

Liz smiles, her thumb tracing a reverent path across my eyebrow. “You wouldn’t even need to ask.”

I cup the back of her head, bringing her down to receive my kiss. Gliding my mouth over hers, I take her lips in a slow, tender kiss, reaffirming everything I already know we share.

“But I’d need a ring.” Liz teases, gasping as I attach my lips to her neck. “A humongous diamond ring in fourteen karat white gold.”

“Don’t worry about the ring.” I grin, gently pushing her on her back as I roll on top of her. “I’ll take care of it.”

“Like you’re about to take care of me?” She murmurs, a sultry smile curving her lips as I settle between her thighs.

Taking her hands in mine, I rest them above her head, pleased by the thinly veiled desire I see in her gaze. “Exactly like that.”

Thoughts of mysterious letters and ominous danger was far from taking precedence by that point.

I needed her. She needed me.

There’s always tomorrow.

“Max, honey, I have to go now.”

“Go where?” I exclaim in a panic, holding onto her hand tightly. “Why can’t you stay? Why do you have to go at all?”

“It‘s not my choice.” She replies, her expression unreadable. “I’d love nothing more than to stay with you and your sister and raise you both with Dad, but I can’t. Please, you have to understand.”

I shake my head emphatically, tears threatening to erupt. “I don’t understand. I don’t want to understand. You can’t go! We need you!”

“I’ll always be there where it counts. I’ll always love you. You’ll see me again…someday.”

Her hand starts to pull away from my grasp, her entire body seeming to disintegrate. “Wait! No! Mom, what’s happening?”

“I’m leaving.” She whispers, her voice sounding far away. “I’m leaving now.”

I frantically try to recapture her hand to no avail. “Don’t go! Please! Mom! Don’t leave me!”

She smiles softly, her expression caught between a mixture of sadness and acceptance. “Max-”

“Mom!” I yell, watching as she disappears from sight. “Mom! No! Come back! Please! You have to come back!”

“Max! Max, wake up! You have to wake up!”

I jolt upright with a gasp, clutching the sheets tightly across my waist. I jump when Liz lays a comforting hand on my shoulder.

“Are you okay?” She queries, her eyebrows knitted in concern. “You kept whimpering in your sleep. I was trying to wake you but you wouldn’t budge. I got worried.”

I swallow convulsively, nodding my response. Liz runs a hand down the side of my sweat drenched face, the tips of her fingers resting at the nape of my neck. “You’re trembling.” She whispers, cupping my face in her hands. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m okay.” I murmur softly, trying to get my breathing under control. Liz frowns, her expression skeptical. “I swear I’m fine.” I say reassuringly, pressing a kiss to her palm.

Liz sighs, dropping her hands into her lap. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“There’s nothing to talk about.” I answer, laying back down in the bed. “I-I don’t remember it.”

“Max -”

The shrill ringing of the telephone cuts off her retort. I sigh in relief as Liz turns to answer it.

I remember vividly what the dream was about. But talking about it is something I just can’t do right now.

“Hello? Audrey? You’re here? In Boston?” Liz exclaims in surprise. “Oh my god, why didn’t you tell me you were coming? Let me get a pen and a piece of paper, okay?”

Resting the phone on the night stand, she jumps out of bed to retrieve her purse.

I lean up on my elbows, watching her flit about the room in my t-shirt, her mussed hair flying back and forth in her haste. I can’t help but smile at how excited she is.

Liz resumes the conversation, writing something down quickly on a sheet of paper before hanging up.

“What’s going on?”

“Audrey’s in town for a few days.” She explains, stripping off my t-shirt. “She needs a ride from the airport.”

Audrey Parker is Liz’s older sister and they’re complete opposites. While Liz is quiet, soft spoken and patient, Audrey is loud, unapologetic and brash. It was a bit overwhelming at first, but it’s something you get used to. She’s a really cool girl though.

“And you’re leaving now?”

“Well, yeah.” Liz responds, pulling on a pair of dark jeans and a navy blue turtle neck. “She just got in about fifteen minutes ago. I don’t want to keep her waiting for too long.”

I get out of bed, pulling on my boxers. “Baby, we both know you’re the slowest driver ever known to man. Keeping her waiting is definitely going to happen. Let me go for her instead.”

“I haven’t seen my sister in six months.” She retorts, sweeping her hair up into a high bun. “I have motivation this morning, so quit teasing you sexy jerk.”

Smirking, I grab her around the waist as she walks pass me, fusing our lips together in a hungry kiss. “Max…” She mumbles in my mouth. “You’re going to make me later than I already am.”

I groan in agreement, reluctantly pulling away. “What am I supposed to do in your absence?”

“Can you pick up a few things from the market? I think we’re out of milk and something else.”

“Sure.” I nod, helping her with her coat. “I could even make breakfast if you want.”

“Nah, don’t bother. It‘s almost noon anyway.” She declines, hauling her purse over her shoulder. “I’ll probably take Audrey somewhere to eat for lunch. She has got to be starving being on a flight all night. You want me to bring you back something?”

I shake my head. “I’m alright.” Clutching the lapels of her coat, I pull her in for another drugging kiss, my tongue gliding languidly against hers. I feel my arousal swelling to life with the moan she emits.

Liz pulls away, her expression dazed. “I love kissing you, but if I don’t leave right now, kissing isn’t the only thing we’ll be doing.”

“Okay. I’ll let you go.” I chuckle, planting a soft kiss on her forehead. “I love you.”

“I love you too. See you later.”

Watching her walk out of the room, I drop back down on the bed, fighting every restraint in my being to not go back to sleep.

That dream is the last thing I want to resume.

Yawning for the third time in the past five minutes, I stand patiently in the check out line at the super market, waiting my turn.

It was crowded for sure, as it always is on the weekends. It seemed like the entire town did their grocery shopping on Sundays.

Finally managing to pay for my things, I walk out into the parking lot, my car keys jingling in my hand. As I approach my car, I spot a figure leaning against the driver side, unbeknownst to my gaze.

I squint against the sunlight, recognizing the person instantly. It's my Dad. With his hands encased in a pair of leather gloves and a scarf wrapped around his neck, he stares ahead, seemingly deep in thought.

I stare at him a bit longer, at a lost for his unexpected appearance. Sighing in dread of what it could mean, I walk over to him slowly, making my presence known.

“Max…” He smiles warmly when he sees me, extending his hand. I shake it in greeting. “I was on my way to your apartment when I saw you go in here. I figured I'd wait for you. How've you been? How‘s Liz?”

“We‘re fine.” I answer, releasing my hold on his hand. “And yourself?”

“I'm doing okay.” He nods, his eyes roaming my face. “You look good Max. Real lean and sturdy. You still working out?”

“As often as I can.”

Dad smiles. “That’s good. I heard the speech you gave at the reception last night. I know being front and center isn’t an easy thing for you to do, but you pulled it off quite well. I know Isabel was happy with it.”

“I’m glad.”

A brief silence ensues before he speaks again. “I wanted to talk to you about something.”

I place the groceries in the trunk of the car, closing it with a thud. “Here in the parking lot?”

“I won’t take up too much of your time.”

“Okay.” I murmur indifferently, crossing my arms over my chest. “What is it?” Why do I get the feeling that it’s something I’m not going to like?

“Well, Charlene and I, we’re considering moving here to Boston.” He tells me, his expression hesitant. “I wanted to know what you thought about it.”

I stare at him in a complete stupor. “What? You want to move here?”

“Nothing’s set in stone, but I am thinking about it. Charlene’s thrilled about the possibility of relocating.”

“And you want my opinion?” I ask incredulously. “What did Isabel have to say about this?”

“I didn’t get a chance to talk to Izzie about it yet.” He answers a bit impatiently. “She and Jesse left this morning for their honeymoon in Tahiti. And besides, I’m asking you.”

“I think it’s an incredibly bad idea.” I say crisply. “That’s my honest opinion.”

He holds up his hand to silence me. “Max, just hear me out first.”

“What ever happened to wanting to live a quiet, suburban life?” I inquire hotly. “Why the sudden change in plans?”

“Son, I’m getting older.” He explains, his face weary. “Roswell will always be home to me, but at the end of the day, the most important part of where you are is who you’re with. I’m happy with my wife, but my children are here. You and Isabel are both here. It’s where I want to be too.”

“Please.” I snort, raking a hand through my hair. “This has nothing to do with us and everything to do with her.”

“Her name is Charlene.” He says sternly, his jaw hardening in irritation. He hates it when I refer to her that way. I suppose that’s the reason I do it. “Why are you so opposed to this?”

“Why shouldn’t I be?” I hiss, my temper having been flared. “I have a life here. I’m happy where I am.”

“And I’d jeopardize that by wanting to be closer to you?” He asks in bewilderment. “You think I’d ruin your life by moving to Boston?”

“I haven’t seen you in almost a year, Dad.” I exclaim in pent up aggravation. “There’s a reason for that. You moved on so effortlessly. I can’t accept it and I don’t want to be constantly reminded of it either.”

“I dealt with your choices.” He retorts in exasperation. “You were adamant about going away to school and no matter how much it displeased me, I couldn’t stop you nor did I try to. I supported your decisions Max. Why can’t you do the same for me?”

“Because I can’t.” I explode. “I can’t do that. Not now. Not ever.”

“Max, this isn’t fair. I’m your father. I deserve that respect. I deserve it.”

“I have to go.” I interject, yanking open the car door. Slamming it forcefully, I rev up the engine, speeding away without so much of a backward glance.

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 6

Post by Jason's Lover »

She’s lovely. The woman you’ve chosen. The most exquisite person you’ve ever laid eyes on. But it’s not her physical beauty that enraptures you. It’s much deeper than that. Perhaps more rooted than you even realize. She completes in a way that nothing ever has. Like a soul mate. But I suppose you already know this.

MR

I grip the letter tightly within my grasp, re-reading each word carefully. There’s no mistaken who this letter is about. It’s as plain as day.

Liz.

Struggling to calm the rapid thumping of my heart, I take a deep breath, cursing myself for allowing this situation to get so close to home.

But what could I have done? This person knows me. Knows my life and possibly everyone in it. It’s been out of my control from the very beginning.

There’s only one thing to do. I have to tell Liz. I can’t avoid it any longer. Not when she’s at risk. I won’t take the chance.

Shoving the letter in my coat pocket, I close in the mail box, retrieving the groceries from the floor.

Sprinting up the stairs, I burst through the door unannounced. The sight that greets me is laughable.

With the radio blaring an old Madonna tune, Liz and Audrey are dancing and singing aloud to the music, giggling uncontrollably.

Liz sways her hips to the beat, a hair brush poised in her hand as a microphone. I can’t help but chuckle.

Clearing my throat, she spins around, her eyes wide and startled. Audrey runs to switch off the radio.

“Max!” Liz gasps, her breathing labored. “How long have you been standing there?”

“A while.” I smirk. “I didn’t know a hair brush had another purpose.”

“Shut up.” She blushes, placing a chaste kiss on my lips. Taking the groceries from my hands, she goes into the kitchen. “I can’t help it if I have an interesting cd collection.”

“An old one at that.” I quip, shrugging off my coat. “Madonna’s old news.”

Liz and Audrey both gasp, their eyes widened in shock.

“You’re so lucky you’re my sister’s man.” Audrey finally speaks, greeting me with a tight hug. “I’d lynch you for that comment.”

I return the embrace. “I believe you.” I pull away with a kiss to her cheek. “So, how’ve you been?”

Audrey smiles. “Pretty good actually. Working like my life depended on it, but you know how that goes.”

“I know what you mean. I’m surprised I even got this weekend off.”

“Yeah, well, you’re an attorney. All you do is read anyway.” She teases.

Liz’s laughter resounds all the way into the living room. “Hey! It’s a tough job, alright? There’s a lot more to it than just reading. Liz knows how stressful it is. I’m always complaining to her about it.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Liz sings out, feigning ignorance. “You don’t ever talk to me about all that lawyer mumbo jumbo.”

“Fine.” I nod in surrender, amid their giggling. “Gang up on me. I’ll get you both.”

“So, I heard little Izzie Evans got hitched yesterday.” Audrey says, a coy smirk on her lips. “Why wasn’t I invited to the wedding?”

I scratch my chin umcomfortably, squirming under her gaze. “Ah, god, I-I don’t know why you weren’t invited. I think there was um…limited seating or something like that. Didn’t Liz tell you? Baby, you didn’t tell her?” I ask Liz as she comes waltzing into the room.

“Relax.” Audrey grins, chuckling at my expense. “Isabel mailed me an invitation. I just didn’t make it in time, obviously. I called her and apologized profusely, to which she brushed off as long as I came with a suitable wedding gift. Hence, that big ass bag in the corner. But I’m only here for the weekend, so you’ll have to give it to her for me.”

I roll my eyes. “All is forgiven in Isabel’s world with an item. It’s her philosophy.”

Liz smacks my arm lightly, trying to stifle her laugh. “What did you get them?”

“This beautiful picture frame.” She smiles, getting up to retrieve the bag. “It’s really large, so if they happen to blow up one of their many wedding photos, this is the perfect size for it.”

“She’ll love it.” I nod. “I’ll make sure she gets it.”

“And, before I forget…” Audrey smiles, fumbling through her travel bag. “I saw the cutest shirts back home at that thrift store Liz and I always shopped at. I just had to buy them for you guys.”

Holding up the matching his and hers t-shirts in her hands, they both have an arrow pointing in an inward direction. Mine’s saying ‘I’m with her’ and Liz’s reading ‘I’m with him’.

Liz squeals excitedly. “Oh my god, those are too cute!” Taking them from Audrey, she hands me mine. “I love it. Max, you’d look so good in that.”

I hold the blue shirt up against my torso, glancing at Liz as she tries her pink one on. “Thanks Audrey. But what happens if one of us are walking on the opposite side of each other? The arrow direction will be all wrong.”

She laughs at my question. “Then you’ll just have to make sure you’re coordination is right. I bought one for me and Dave and he refuses to wear it. He thinks it too trendy.”

Liz scoffs. “Of course it’s trendy. Celebrities wear them all the time.”

“You know how Dave is.” Audrey sighs, zipping up her bag. “Once he doesn’t like something, there’s no changing his mind about it.”

“Why didn’t he come with you?” Liz asks, folding the shirts neatly in her lap.

“He had to work. And plus his mom’s having surgery tomorrow morning.” She explains, running a hand through her short bob. “He wanted to be there with her.”

I nod my head in understanding. “Definitely. I hope she’s alright.”

“Yeah, she’ll be fine. They’re removing a cyst from one of her ovaries that’s been there for a while. The doctors want to be sure it’s not cancerous. It’s a small procedure though. It’s nothing serious.”

“I had a study about that in one of my classes recently.” Liz perks up. “It really is just a simple surgery. It’s really common with women between the ages of thirty to fifty five.”

Audrey and I stare at her with barely concealed smirks. “What?” She cried, flushing in embarrassment. “I can’t help it. I hear medical terms and my mouth starts going. It’s like a reflex.”

“You love it.” I tell her, lifting her hand to press a light kiss in her palm. “That kind of passion is rare. You’ll make an excellent doctor.”

Liz smiles shyly, leaning over to kiss my cheek. “Thanks babe.”

“Aw!” Audrey coos, holding a hand to her chest. “Ya’ll are too cute. I feel like calling Dave now. Shit, I haven’t called him since I got here.”

“Bad girlfriend.” I tease.

“He’ll live.” She dismisses, standing from the couch. “And I need a shower. Which way’s the bathroom?”

“Down the hall. The door on your left.” I call out to her retreating form. “Use whatever you want.”

“Thanks. And Liz, we can go to that place afterwards.”

“Okay. I’ll go in after you.”

“What place?” I ask as soon as Audrey shuts in the door.

“That museum near your job. You know, she’s into the arts and what not. I promised her I’d take her there to see the exhibit. You can come if you want.”

“Nah, you two go.” I reply, pulling her into my lap from beside me. “She isn’t here for a long visit. I don’t want to intrude on your time together.”

“You won’t be intruding.” Liz refutes, her fingers idly playing with the hair at the nape of my neck. “Audrey loves you. I love you. That’s more than enough incentive.”

“That’s a lot of love.” I joke, tilting my head up to kiss her mouth. Liz nibbles my lips seductively, her tongue probing my mouth for entrance. We break away moments later, panting for breath. “Will you come?” She asks huskily.

“Since you asked so nicely,” I murmur, nipping at her neck. “It’s the least I could do.”

“You’re such a gentlemen.” She grins, leaning in for another kiss when the phone starts ringing.

I grip her waist as she moves to answer it. “Ignore it.”

“I can’t ignore it. What if it’s an important call?”

“The machine will get it.” I shrug, struggling to catch her hand as she reaches behind me to retrieve the phone. “Liz…”

“Hello? Hi, Mr. Evans. Philip, yes, I’m sorry, I keep forgetting. I’ll never get used to calling you that.” She laughs. “Oh, I’m fine. School’s going well so far. I have no complaints…yet. Oh, um, Max?” Liz glances at me. I shake my head emphatically, mouthing I’m not here. “He’s um, yeah, actually he isn’t here. Oh, okay, sure. I’ll give him the message when he gets back. Yeah, it’s no problem. You take care too. Bye.”

“What did he want?”

Liz places the phone back in its cradle before turning to regard me. “He wanted to meet up for dinner. But he said you could always reschedule. He’s here until next week Friday and he wants you to call him.”

My jaw hardens in remembrance of our dispute earlier this morning. I can’t talk to him, much less see him again. My temper is at the tip of a very short fuse.

“You saw him this morning?” Liz queries, her tone inquisitive.

I look up at her. “He said all of that?”

“Well, yeah.” Liz shrugs. “He didn’t go into detail about it, but he mentioned bumping into you at the market. Is everything alright?”

“It’s fine.”

Liz stares at me with a pensive frown before sighing. “Max, I know you and your dad have issues that I know nothing about, and it’s fine if you don’t want to talk about it, but I’m here if you need to. I won’t judge you. I’d never do that.”

“I know. I know you wouldn’t.” I quickly reassure her. “It’s just…it’s more of a situation I haven’t come to terms with yet. Talking about it, and sometimes even thinking about it is just too much to bare.”

Liz presses a soft kiss to my forehead, the tips of her fingers trailing a slow path up and down my forearm. “I understand.”

“But I do have something else to tell you.” I inform her, my voice taking on a serious tone. By the way her eyebrows draw together in confused apprehension, it doesn’t escape her notice.

“Liz, the shower’s yours.” Audrey announces, exiting the bathroom. “God it feels good to be clean.”

“Max?” Liz questions, her dark eyes boring into mine. “What is it?”

“It’ll have to wait.” I whisper, averting my gaze self-consciously. “You should hop in the shower so we could leave.”

“Max…”

“I’ll tell you later.” I interject, brushing the back of my hand against her cheek. “I promise.”

She stares at me a bit longer before standing from my lap, reluctantly making her way into the bathroom.

“You bastard!” Audrey hisses the moment Liz is out of earshot. “I can’t believe you.”

I arch an eyebrow in surprise. “Excuse me?”

“Who’s MR and why the hell is she writing you little love letters?” She questions, her eyes flaming in accusation. “Are you cheating on my sister?”

“How do you know about that?” I counter, glancing at her sharply. “And what are you talking about? I’d never cheat on Liz.”

“Your pants were hooked up behind the bathroom door.” Audrey snarls, glaring at me. “It fell down, and surprise, surprise, guess what fell out of it?” I shake my head in disbelief. “I should kick your ass and then find that bitch and kick hers too!”

“I tell you to use whatever you want in my bathroom and you snoop around and invade my privacy?” I ask in affront.

“Don’t try to change the subject.” Audrey dismisses, shaking one lone finger in my face. “I thought you were different. How could you do that to Lizzie? Do you have any idea how much she adores you?”

“You don’t understand.” I respond evenly, lowering my voice. “Its not what it looks like. I’d explain it to you, but I need to talk to Liz about it first. I’d appreciate it if you stayed out of it.”

“Stay out of it?” She questions incredulously. “Are you demented? She’s my sister. And if you hurt her, I’ll kill you.”

“Would you quit it with that nonsense?” I cry out in exasperation. “I’m not cheating on her. Not now. Not ever. I love Liz. What you read isn’t what you’re thinking it is. I’m not even sure I know what it is.”

Audrey narrows her eyes in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“The letters.” I clarify. “I don’t know who they’re from or why I’m even receiving them. They just seem to be popping up everywhere I turn.”

“Like you have an admirer?”

My gaze falls to my lap. “I don’t think it’s that simple. I-I don’t know what they are or what it’s supposed to mean. I just…I haven’t had the best luck coming forth with the truth to Liz yet. I’m worried about her reaction.”

“Worried or not, you have to tell her.” Audrey insists. “You can’t keep hiding it from her. She’ll suspect something eventually.”

“I know. And I’ll tell her.” I murmur, raking a hand through my hair. “I just don’t want to freak her out, you know? She has enough going on as it is.”

Audrey nods, seeming contrite. “Look, I’m sorry for yelling at you and drawing my own assumptions about things that don’t concern me. I didn’t mean to accuse you of anything and abuse your hospitality. That was incredibly rude of me.”

“It’s alright. You only confronted me about it because you were concerned. I can respect that.” My lips twitch upward in amusement. “I can’t believe you threatened me.”

Audrey chuckles in earnest. “Well, just think of it as a warning. I don’t have a black belt in karate for nothing.”

“Duly noted.” I mumble quickly.

“Good.” She smiles, standing from the couch. She turns to me briefly. “And you will talk to Liz, right? Because if you don’t, then I will.”

“I’ll do it.” I say confidently, the content of the latest letter permanently etched in my brain. “You have my word.”

TBC…
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 7

Post by Jason's Lover »

“Oh, god, would you two give it a rest?”

Liz and I hastily break away from a heated lip lock at Audrey’s outburst. I swipe a hand across my mouth. “What?” I cried, flushing under Micheal, Audrey and Maria’s scrutinizing stares. “I haven’t seen her all day.”

“He’s right. He hasn’t seen me all day.” Liz says flustering, pushing her hair behind her ears. “So, did you guys place your orders?”

“Twice.” Maria groaned, throwing her head back against the seat. “I’ll starve to death before we ever get our food.”

“It’s crowded tonight.” Liz explains. “We’ll get our food when we get our food. Besides, we’re having too much fun to notice.”

“Speak for yourself.” Audrey mumbles, sipping her apple margarita. “I’m famished.”

I chuckle at their whining. “You’re all a bunch of babies. Look at Micheal, he’s as quiet as a mouse over there.”

“Micheal’s watching the hockey game up on the screen.” Maria says loudly in his ear, shooting him a displeased frown. “Nourishment be damned. He could care less.”

“I may be non existent in the conversation but I’m not deaf.” He retorted, his eyes still glued to the television. “I need another beer. Maria, could you-,”

“Get it yourself.” She quickly says, cutting off his question. “You can’t come to dinner and watch hockey, Micheal. It’s impolite. And I’m not your damn servant.”

“I wasn’t going to-,”

“You watch hockey all the time when we’re home.” Maria continues in a rant. “You’d think you were married to the damn thing instead of me. It’s like you can’t miss one single game.”

“Jesus, can you shut up for a minute?” Micheal exclaims in exasperation. “I was trying to ask you to slide out of the damn seat. I’m not an invalid. I can get my own beer.”

Maria looks taken aback before properly chastised. “Oh.” She slides out of the booth slowly. “Can you get me another Smirnoff, please?”

Micheal stares at her in stunned disbelief before walking off to the bar, grumbling beneath his breath.

She cracks a smug smile. ”I have him wrapped around my finger.”

“I think the both of you are insane.” Liz says in response. “I’ve never seen a couple fight like you two in my life.”

“It’s our foreplay.” Maria shrugs indifferently, stretching her arm across the back of the seat. “By the end of the night, we’ll both be too satiated to argue.”

I shudder with a grimace. “That’s information I didn’t need to know.”

Micheal returns to the table with another beer and Smirnoff in tow. He hands Maria her drink before sitting down. “I hope you remember this.”

She kisses his cheek in thanks. “I will.”

Liz giggles at Maria’s cheesy grin. “I swear, you’re a devil in disguise.”

Audrey snorts. “Aren’t we all? I think it’s like a hidden trait or something.”

“Yeah, and it’s only prone to women.” Micheal quips with a convenient cough. The ladies protest in earnest.

I shake my head in disagreement. “I don’t think so. I mean, not to sound biased because she’s right beside me, but Liz hasn’t got a single evil bone in her body.”

Liz blushes in embarrassment while the others groan good-naturedly.

“Max, you’re axed from the conversation.” Micheal chuckles. “You’re not allowed to speak for the remainder of the evening.”

“Leave him alone.” Liz refutes in my defense, entwining our fingers on top of the table. “It’s not his fault he’s a sweetheart.”

I plant a kiss to the side of her head. “Thank you, baby. These savages don’t know anything about romance.”

“Oh, please.” Audrey snorts, sipping her drink. “Romance is secondary. Keeping their asses in line comes first.”

Maria makes a grunt in agreement, nodding her head emphatically as Micheal rolls his eyes. “I’m telling you, it’s like we share a brain. Liz, you’re sister is way cooler than you.”

Audrey smirks teasingly. “I’ve always thought so myself.”

“Hey!” Liz frowns, feigning hurt. “I resent that. And Maria, you turn coat.”

“You know I love you babe.” She giggles.

Micheal releases a bored sigh. “I feel like I’m in a locker room.”

“Oh, shut up.” Maria retorts. “Watch your hockey game.”

“I’m going to the bathroom.” He suddenly announces, waiting for Maria to slide out before he stands from the booth. “Max, come with me?”

“What?” I sputter in surprise.

“Come with me.” Micheal repeated, a hint of impatience in his tone. “You know, let’s do the whole male bonding thing.”

“In a public restroom?”

He stares at me with an intent glare that has me second guessing the nature of his request. “Okay.” I relent a bit dubiously. I depart from the table, following him to the back of the restaurant.

“What was that about?” I inquire as soon as we’re in the restroom. “You were acting a bit strange back there.”

Micheal relieves himself in the stall, remaining silent until he was done. “Well, I needed to know something. And I couldn’t exactly ask you right then and there.” He washes up at the sink before turning to me with a knowing frown. “You haven’t told her yet, have you?”

I look away momentarily before sighing. “Micheal, please, not tonight. We’re having a good time. Let’s not ruin it, alright?”

He shrugs indifferently, folding his arms across his chest. “Do what you want, Maxwell. It’s your call at this point. After all, the last letter you told me about this morning wasn’t about you. I just thought you’d be more concerned about Liz’s livelihood instead of your own.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?” I ask defensively, my eyes narrowing to slits.

“It means you’re acting like a coward.” Micheal accuses bluntly. “I mean really, what the fuck are you afraid of? That she’ll leave you for being honest with her? I’m sorry, but that’s bullshit.”

“You wouldn’t understand what I’m going through.” I retort evenly. “You’re not in my position. You don’t have the gall to tell me what’s bullshit and what isn’t.”

“I don’t have the gall?” He exclaimed angrily. “Who the hell’s been helping you figure this out all this time? Who’s the one that stuck their neck out to get you the answers you were looking for?”

“And I get that.” I yell in aggravation. “I appreciate it. I’d just like to know why you care so much. It’s not your battle. It’s mine.”

Micheal snorts, throwing his hands up in resignation. “You know what? You’re exactly right. I do care too much. You’re on your own, Max.”

He stalks past me, forcefully pushing through the door without a backward glance. I stand there breathing heavily in the aftermath of our argument, silently regretting how far it went.

Raking a hand through my hair, I release a frustrated sigh, taking a few minutes to calm myself before I walk back out to the table. By the time I return, Micheal and Maria are no longer there. Liz turns to me with a worried frown. I can clearly see the question in her eyes.

“They left.” She explained a moment later. “Micheal said he had something to do. He just stormed out and took Maria with him.”

I sit there in a stupor, lowering my gaze as Audrey and Liz exchange wary glances.

“Max…” Liz murmured carefully, resting a hand on my shoulder to garner my attention. “What happened?”

I swallow, shaking my head. “Nothing…nothing happened. I should go.”

“What? Why?”

I stand from the booth, fetching my wallet from my back pocket. I hand her my credit card. “Here. It should cover everything.”

Liz looks up at me in complete bafflement. “Where are you going?”

“Home, maybe.” I answer, shrugging into my coat. “The night’s been ruined enough. You two stay and make the best of it. I’ll see you at home.”

“What is going on?” She asked, eyeing me curiously. “Max…”

“I’ll see you at home.” I repeat, planting a chaste kiss on her cheek. “We’ll talk then. I promise.” I turn to Audrey, nodding slightly. “Later.”

After leaving the restaurant, I walk around for a bit, trying to clear my head. Sparking up a cigarette, I take a deep drag, silently wishing I wasn’t so pathetic. Micheal was right. I am a fucking coward. It’s been over a month since I started receiving these mysterious letters and I haven’t mentioned a word to Liz. What kind of boyfriend keeps secrets from his girlfriend?

Shaking my head in self deprecation, I take one last drag before flicking the cigarette to the ground. Strolling back in the direction of where I parked my car, I finally come to a decision. With a determination I should’ve had a long time ago, I drive home with a purpose. Tonight, I’m really going to tell her everything.

I get home a half an hour later, my insides practically thumping with anticipation. Once I’m inside the apartment, I flip on the switch, making a mad dash for the room. Frantically pulling out draws and searching through every article of clothing I’ve worn for the past month, I gather each letter I’ve been sent in a pile on the bed.

Staring at them for what seemed like hours, I finally tear my gaze away, my eyes landing on the digital clock beside the bed. It’s been over an hour since I left Liz and Audrey at the restaurant in a complete mass of confusion. They must think I’m high or something.

Grimacing at the very thought, I drop back on the bed with a thud, an arm behind my head as the other rested on my chest. They’d have every right to think so. Well, Liz at least. Audrey knows the truth. I honestly don’t know which is worse…having lied to Liz for so long or actually telling her sister before I told her. Hopefully, the latter doesn’t need to be brought up at all. But knowing my luck, it most likely will.

I don’t know exactly when I dozed off, but the sound of a door slamming jerks me out of my sleep. Stretching with a yawn, I sit up straight just as Liz comes waltzing into the room, visibly upset. I’m on my feet instantaneously, concern overriding everything else.

“What’s wrong?” I ask alarmed, my eyebrows furrowed together as she averts my advances. “Liz…”

“I want to know what’s going on – now.” She demands, her eyes blazing with something akin to betrayal. “I don’t want to hear that it’s complicated or that it’s something you can’t tell me because it’s about your past. You walked out on me, with no explanation offered and apparently, my own sister has some idea as to what’s going on and won’t tell me what it’s about.”

I nod, audibly swallowing the ball of apprehension lodged in my throat. “Okay, Liz, you’re absolutely right. You deserve to know the truth and I’ll tell you. I…I need you to listen and um, please, just hear me out before you say and think anything.” I glance over at the letters on the bed before looking back at her. “Maybe you should sit down.”

“Max…”

“Please.” Relenting, she strips off her coat before sitting on the bed, running a hand through her hair. Taking a deep breath, I decide to plunge right into it. “Behind you, Liz, is the reason for the strange behavior I seemed to have been displaying as of late. It’s why I’ve been acting so weird.”

Her eyes narrow in confusion before she shifted around, retrieving the letters from the center of the bed. “Max, what are these?”

I walk forward, shrugging helplessly. “It’s these letters I started receiving a little over a month ago.” I begin tentatively. “I was at the gym with Micheal when I got the first one. Since then, they keep coming.”

Liz opened and folded each one as she read them, her demeanor oddly passive. “Who’s MR?” she asked quietly.

“I don’t know.” I answer nervously, coming to sit beside her. “I don’t know who’s sending them or why. They randomly come to me no matter where I am. I have no control over it. You have to believe me.”

She hasn’t looked at me yet. I’m starting to get worried. The silence is deafening. “Liz…”

“This one is about me.” She said suddenly, her eyes fixated on the letter in her hand. “This person knows who I am?”

I nod slowly, wishing that it weren’t true. “I’m afraid so.”

Liz abruptly jumps up from the bed, pacing back and forth across the room. My eyes follow her restlessly. Okay, she’s panicking. This is not looking good.

“Liz-”

“What does this mean, Max?” She interjects, turning fearful eyes to me. “I mean, is someone stalking you? Are we in some kind of danger?”

“I don’t know…I don’t know anything.” I respond fretfully, hating the fact that I don’t have any answers. “I’m sorry. You must want to be as far away as possible from me and this entire situation. I wouldn’t blame you.”

Her expression softens at my words. Coming to kneel down at my feet, she pinned me with a loving stare. “Max, it would have to take a lot more than just this to make me run for the hills. I won’t lie to you. I am a bit freaked out about all this, but I’m not going anywhere. I’m not leaving you.”

I tenderly cup her cheek, all the compassion and honesty clearly visible within the depths of her gaze. It’s beyond overwhelming.

“Nothing’s going to happen to you.” I promise her, the conviction in my voice undeniable. “I swear it. You don’t have to worry.”

“It’s not me I’m worried about.” She whispered, resting her elbows on my thighs. “You’re obviously the focus in these letters. This MR person knows you, Max, personally.”

I nod solemnly, staring blankly at the carpet. “I know.”

“Could it be like an ex-girlfriend or something?” Liz asked. “You know, maybe you guys ended on bad terms and she hasn’t gotten over it?”

I shake my head, disputing the assumption. “I didn’t date that much back home. And I certainly never got that serious with the ones I did date for them to know personal things about me. I always ended them before it did.”

Her shoulders slump in defeat as she looks away, a hopeless expression on her face. I squeeze her hand gently. “Hey, we’ll figure this out, okay? And I don’t want you obsessing over it either. You have enough going on as it is. This is the last thing you need to be stressed about.”

“Is that why you didn’t tell me until now?”

“It’s…part of the reason.” I admit, averting my gaze. “The other part is that I didn’t think you’d believe me. I was so scared that you’d look at me and think I was losing it. I know the thought’s crossed my mind many times.”

“Max…” She murmured admonishingly.

“But I know now how ridiculous that was.” I continue, lifting my head to look at her. “And I should’ve come to you from the very beginning. Hiding this from you was like absolute torture. I’ll never do it again.”

Liz nods, moving to sit beside me on the bed. “And tonight, before you left, what happened with Micheal?”

I sigh regretfully. “We got into an argument.”

“About what?”

“This.” I begin wearily. “He thought I was being a total dick keeping this from you as long as I was. And he was right. To make a long story short, I said some things I didn’t mean. He’s pretty pissed off.”

“So, you told Micheal.” She surmised. “Who else knows about this?”

I scratch my neck uncomfortably, the heat of her stare piercing. She gasps in realization. “Audrey? She knew about this, didn’t she? You told Micheal and my sister before you told me?”

“Micheal practically forced it out of me.” I rush to explain. “I was jittery and nervous and he saw it. I needed to confide in someone and we were out one night. So I told him.”

“And Audrey?”

“She sort of came across it on her own.”

Her eyebrows furrow in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Yesterday, before we went to the museum, she found one of the letters in my jeans pocket. When you left to take a shower, she confronted me about it and assumed the worst. She thought it was from some woman I was having an affair with.”

Liz snorted, rolling her eyes heavenly. “Of course she did.”

I crack a rueful smile. “Yeah, she threatened to do bodily harm to me and my supposed partner. Anyway, I had to tell her or she’d be giving you a completely false account of the situation. I asked her to keep quiet about it. I wanted you to hear the truth from me.”

Liz nodded her head in understanding. “That’s why she wasn’t answering my questions at dinner. I’m so stupid.” She sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. “We got into an unnecessary fight. And she’s leaving tomorrow morning. Perfect.”

“There’s still time to patch things up.” I tell her, glancing at the clock briefly. “It’s a little after one. I’m sure she’s still up feeling just miserable as you are.”

She turned to look at me, her expression pensive. “You’re right. I can’t let her leave like this. I’d feel terrible.”

Liz rises from the bed, headed to the door and abruptly turned back around, stopping before me. I look up at her inquiringly. “What?”

Without a response or warning, she planted a firm kiss on my lips, her mouth insistent and possessive as it moved over mine. She’s pulling away a moment later.

“I love you.” She said softly, her gaze unwavering. “Regardless of what happens, that’s not going to change. I need you to know that.”

“I do.” I murmur, feeling quite pathetic at the barely concealed emotion in my tone. “I’m not going to burst into tears. I promise.”

Liz giggled uncontrollably, her eyes lighting up in mirth. “It’s okay if you do. I won’t tell.”

“Yeah, sure you won’t.” I quip sarcastically, eliciting another chuckle from her.

“I’ll be right back.” She smiled, slipping through the door.

I sit there for a few minutes, sighing in relief to have such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I definitely did the right thing.

But even after I got ready for bed, patiently waiting until Liz returned from the other room, I just knew the situation was far from being over.

TBC…
Last edited by Jason's Lover on Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason's Lover
Addicted Roswellian

Part 8

Post by Jason's Lover »

She’s asleep on the sofa, her legs curled up to her chest and a bent arm supporting her head. There’s an opened text book resting near her feet and a discarded bag of potato chips left on the coffee table. I quietly shut in the front door, shrugging out of my coat and dropping today’s mail on the nearby counter before making my way over to her.

Crouching down beside her, I gently brushed the stray wisps of hair from her face, my eyes taking in every detail of her still form. The dark circles around her eyes don’t escape my notice and I frown slightly. She must’ve been really exhausted to have fallen asleep while studying.

To be truthful, I’m part of the blame for her constant weariness. Ever since I told her about the letters a few days ago, she’s been driving herself half insane with worry. She talks about it at night when we’re in bed and calls me frequently during the day to check up on me. I knew telling her would affect her in some way, make her paranoid. It’s exactly what I didn’t want. The guilt lies heavily on my chest like a ton of lead.

Sighing inwardly, I lean forward to press a tender kiss to her temple, my heart clenching at the soft whimper she emits. Liz stirs a moment later, her brown eyes pinning me with a warm stare. I offer her a contrite smile. “I’m sorry for waking you.”

Liz shook her head dismissively. “It’s okay. I shouldn’t have fallen asleep in the first place. I’ve got so much studying to do.”

I watch her sit upright, running a hand through her sleep mussed hair. It falls right back into place, framing her face like it naturally does.

“You’re tired.” I said simply, moving to sit beside her as I lifted her feet onto my lap.

Liz shrugged, reaching for her textbook across the couch. “A little bit. I woke up so late this morning that I had to rush to class. I could barely keep my eyes open.”

“Then take a nap.” I suggest, lightly caressing her thigh. “You need it.”

“I can’t.” She sighed stubbornly, flipping open the book. “I’ve got an exam in two days that determines the percentage of my grade. I have to be prepared.”

I nod with her persistence. “Did you eat anything?”

“Max…” Liz said levelly, shooting me an agitated frown. “I’m not a child.”

“I never said you were.”

“Then stop talking to me like one.” She retorted, pulling her feet from my lap. “I don’t need sleep and I don’t need to eat. I’m perfectly fine.”

My eyebrows narrow at her defensive attitude. “Are you sure about that?”

“Positive.” She said curtly, busying herself with her work, her eyes glued to the textbook. I know Liz well enough to detect when something’s bothering her. Now is no different.

“What’s wrong?” I inquired, not the least bit deterred by her silence. “You know I was only asking because I’m concerned.”

And just like that her demeanor changes, the defiant look she wore melting away like a glacier. She dropped her head miserably between her hands.

I rub her back soothingly as she sobbed quietly. “Baby, tell me what happened. I can’t help you if you won’t talk to me.”

Liz raised her head, her eyes puffy and red from crying. “It’s so stupid.” She sniffled. “I don’t even want to tell you.”

“Tell me anyway.”

She looked up at me from beneath her eyelids, wiping her cheeks. “I got an F on my thesis paper.” She admitted.

My eyes widen in surprise. “That same paper you spent days writing and researching for a few weeks ago?”

Liz nodded somberly. “My professor said it was lacking, in what, he didn’t say. I just don’t understand. I worked so hard on it.”

“I know you did.”

“I mean, I know it’s not the end of the world to get one bad grade, but it’s so disappointing.” She continued, venting her frustrations. “I just feel so discouraged and lost. I don’t know what I’m doing anymore.”

I pull her across my lap, engulfing her in a comforting embrace. “It’s okay to be disappointed. You’re human and you’ll always have doubts, but you can’t give up either. If this is something that you really want to pursue, you can’t let one failed paper turn you away. It’s only a bump in the road. You have to keep going.”

Liz drew back to peer up at me, her expression something akin to remorse. “I’m so sorry for snapping at you. You’re the last person I should ever take my silly little problems out on.”

“They’re not silly.” I refuted quietly, holding her gaze. “And it matters to me just as much as they do to you. I’m here, Liz, whenever you need me.”

Her lips twitched upward into the cutest smile, a giggle bubbling forth. “God, you’re so cute.” She murmured, leaning up and planting little kisses all over my face. “I haven’t even greeted you properly since you came home.”

I sit up straighter, my hands slowly running up her back as she continued her caresses. “Well, it’s not too late.”

Nibbling her way up from the underside of my jaw to my mouth, she claimed my lips in a heated kiss, her tongue languidly gliding against mine. I feel a rush of hot, fierce desire settle in the pit of my stomach as she straddled my lap, her core pressing insistently against my erection.

Our kisses turned deeper, more urgent as I shifted our position, lowering her to the sofa as the textbook fell to the floor, her studying long forgotten.

Swiftly discarding her shirt and pushing aside the straps of her bra, I latch my lips onto one rosy nipple, sinking my teeth into the supple flesh. The loud moan she emits has me sucking harder.

“Oh god…” Holding my head to her chest, her back arches in pleasure. “Max, please…”

I continue my ministrations, switching to her other breast. When I’m finally done there’s a matching pair of red blotchy marks emblazoned on her flushed skin. I harden with the knowledge that I’m the one responsible for putting it there.

“I need you, Max.” She declared huskily, deftly unbuttoning my jeans and pushing them down my hips. We undress each other in tandem, clothing flying across the room in our haste until there’s not one single barrier left. Covering her mouth in a ferocious kiss, I let one hand trail down the contours of her flat stomach, my fingers sinking into her slick heat. I almost lose it when her tiny hand grips my arousal in kind, stroking me with a steady pace.

“I have to be inside you.” I groan, pushing my fingers higher inside of her before pulling them out. She nods frantically in response, releasing her hold on my erection. Lifting her up against me, I bury myself to the hilt, my head dropping forward in the crook of her neck at the feel of her wetness encompassing me.

Raising her arms to surround my back, I thrust hard, eliciting a serrated moan of pleasure from her throat. Our rhythm is fast and rough, her hips lifting with every deep thrust of my arousal into her warmth. Throwing her head back against the cushions with a sharp cry of completion, I follow her a moment after, grunting in bliss as her walls flutter around me violently. Shuddering in ecstasy, we continue to move until the last tremors of our release finally subside.

I’m bone still as we struggle to regain our breathing, panting heavily in the aftermath. I can’t lift a finger. Liz makes the first move.

Brushing a soft, feather like kiss across my mouth, a smile lights up her face. “You know we’re going to have to clean this sofa, right?”

My chest rumbles in amusement. “Of all the things you could’ve said, that’s what you came up with?”

“What would you like me to have said?” Liz murmured sexily, her tongue snaking out to lick the outer shell of my ear. “That it was mind-blowing, explosive, hot…”

I feel myself hardening again with her words, her muscles clenching me tightly in preparation. I stutter out a response. “Yeah…um…that…uh, that works too.”

She flips us over, my hardness still embedded deep inside of her. “You got anywhere to go tonight?”

I swallow as she begins to move slowly, her hips rocking back and forth over me in a sensual manner. “Jesus! I can’t even think right now.”

“You’re not supposed to.” She whispered sultrily, picking up the pace. I grip her hips tightly in my grasp, thrusting up into her. “Oh, Max…”

“I love you…so much.” I groan, looking up into her passion filled eyes as she rides me harder. “God, Liz…”

“I love you too.” She said with a gasp, pitching forward as I thrust deep one last time, falling apart together. Her body collapsed tiredly against mine, our skin slick with sweat. I run my hand down the length her damp mane, coming to rest on her lower back.

“You’re right. We definitely have to clean this sofa.”

Liz chuckled, planting a chaste kiss on my chest. “Not right now. I’m pleasantly wiped out.”

I arched an eyebrow teasingly. “Is that satisfaction I detect in your tone?”

“Hmm, lots of it.” She murmured, grinning widely. “You wore me out.”

I can’t dispel the notch my ego took with her words. “That’s always good to hear.”

“I bet.” Adjusting our position, I lay back on the sofa, pulling the duvet over our cooling bodies. Absently stroking her back in slow, light circles, a comfortable silence settles over us.

“I called Micheal this afternoon.” I stated quietly, staring up at the ceiling.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, but, uh, he didn’t answer.” I continued. “I got his voice mail.”

Liz remained quiet, instinctively knowing I wasn’t done. “I think he’s avoiding me.”

She shook her head in protest. “You don’t know that, Max.”

“Do I?” I countered, regret laced in my every word. “I was a complete asshole. I don’t blame him for wanting nothing to do with me.”

Liz raised her head from my chest to look down at me. “Micheal’s your best friend, Max. Nothing that transpired between the two of you could change that. He just needs time to cool down and clear his head. You know how he is.”

A small smile curved my lips at her evaluation. “I wish I had your perceptiveness. It would make my life a whole lot easier.”

Her eyes sparkled in compassion, gazing into mine with an undeniable intensity. “You have me.” She said simply, tracing her index finger across my bottom lip. “I’ll be your voice of reason when you’re a little too frazzled to see it.”

I cocked my head to the side, smirking. “That’s putting it nicely.”

“You know what I meant.” She returned with a laugh, giggling into my neck. “I’m in for the long haul…vows and everything.”

I look down at her in surprise, gently lifting her chin to see her face. “Liz, are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

She bit her lip, nodding slowly. “Let’s do it, Max. Let’s get married.”

I stare at her in a moment of contemplativeness, silently wondering where her sudden acceptance of my proposal stemmed from. The look on my face must’ve worried her because now she’s frowning.

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Why are you saying yes?” I opt to ask instead of answering her question. “I mean, just last week you said you wanted to wait and finish school and now you’re ready?”

Liz seemed taken aback, her eyebrows furrowing. “Because I love you and I don’t want to wait anymore. I want to be your wife.”

I sigh loudly, a painful realization having struck me. “I don’t doubt that, but I know you Liz. Once you set your mind on something, there’s no going back on it unless you absolutely have to. You’re scared.”

“I’m scared?” She scoffed, appalled. “Max, what are you talking about? I’m not scared of anything. What would I have to be scared of?”

“Look me in the eye and tell me that you really want to marry me.” I propose, my gaze unwavering. “Tell me that this has nothing to do with those letters and everything to do with us.”

Liz stared at me with an indecisive frown before looking away helplessly. I reach out for her arm when she begins to sit upright, averting my advances.

“Baby…”

“No, Max.” She whispered thickly, her voice shaky and unsteady. “I can’t tell you that. I wish I could but I can’t.”

A pang of sorrow slammed through me at the tear that cascaded down her cheek. I reach up to wipe it away. “I know you do.”

“Ever since you told me about those letters, it’s like I can’t breathe, you know?” She murmured, licking her lips. “You kiss me goodbye every morning before you leave for work and some days we’d make love when we’re up early enough. But when you walk through that door, I can’t help thinking that it may be the last time we get to do either of those things.”

I lower my head, guilt ridden and ashamed. “I didn’t want this. I didn’t want you taking on this burden. I don’t want you to feel like that.”

“It’s not your fault.” She said softly, pressing a tender kiss to my shoulder. “None of this is. We just have to deal with it…together.”

She climbed back into my arms, holding me tightly. I grip her protectively in my embrace. “Together.”

TBC…