Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-8/? - 11/09/18

For stories that are mostly conventional in their couplings, but might explore one UC relationship, or might explore a UC relationship to some degree. It is also for stories where to reveal the eventual pairings in an Author’s Note might spoil the story. It is also for character driven fic that focuses mostly on one specific character. Main character death fics might also be safer here. This is a "read at your own risk" forum. Please read Forum Rules for more information.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-6/? - 09/12/18

Postby keepsmiling7 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:24 am

Love the new part, especially when the crew uses the public library for research.
Don't think I'll get used to the name Max Parker any time soon.
All is well with Michael and Maria. So sad that Ava always wanted to be a mom, the hidden doll emphasized that fact.
Those breeding pains sound terrible........can't even begin to imagine!
Wow, the baby boy has arrived and a new home in Oregon is selected........all while Maria and Michael are in their own little world.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Fidomom
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-7/? - 10/07/18

Postby Fidomom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:09 am

@keepsmiling7 - In the series finale Liz tells her parents in her diary that she and Max did eventually get married but her final line is "I'm Liz Parker and I'm happy" so I figure either they both didn't change their names OR Max took her name that's why I went with Max Parker - it seemed fun to me. Glad to know you are enjoying the story in spite of the name thing. Thanks for reading and giving me helpful feedback, Carolyn.

~FM :)

Title: Finding Something Better
Author: Fidomom
Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. It is only loosely based on characters from the tv series Roswell as I imagine they could be from different points throughout and beyond the three seasons of the show. I am not affiliated with any of the original creations nor creators from the series. I will make no monetary gains from publishing this work of fiction.
Pairings/Characters/Category: Michael & Maria, Max & Liz, Kyle, Isabel & Ava, CC, UC, AU, w/Aliens
Rating: Mature
Summary: This chapter - The seven member crew are forced to improvise, including staying in place for longer than intended.
Author's Note: I have so much of this story figured out in my head and certain parts pre-written but a lot of it I'm also figuring out as I'm writing. I'm keeping notes and trying to not have contradictions as it goes. I like the story in my mind just hoping I can get it written out so it greatly resembles what I've been imagining now for well over a year.

Finding Something Better
by Fidomom

Chapter Seven

Liz watched her husband, Max, holding and talking to his two month old nephew, Lex and she smiled wistfully. Max noticed and he asked with a self-conscious smile of his own, "What? Am I doing this wrong or something?"

Liz laughed lightly and refuted, "No, of course not, Max! You're really good with him. It just kind of makes me wish that you and I could have a baby together, you know?"

Max's smile faltered and he said quietly, "Liz, we can't. Not ever and not just because we're still technically on the run."

Liz provided the reason, herself, "Short pregnancy. Too short for me to survive it."

Max confirmed, "Yes. If there was a guarantee that you and I could safely have children together, you do know that I'd want that, right?"

Liz nodded, sighed and said consolingly, "At least we get to have this little guy in our lives though. He's not ours but he is family. I'm in love with him, Max."

Max chuckled and addressed his nephew, "Don't go getting any ideas, there, Lex buddy; she's my wife."

Liz rolled her eyes and laughed as she clarified, "I didn't mean it like that, Max!"

Max grinned and admitted, "I know. That would be taking cradle robbing way too literally!"

Liz lightly shoved at his arm, still laughing as she protested, "Max! That's just terrible!"

Max smiled softly at her and said more seriously, "I'm glad we get to have him in our lives, too. As I've watched him grow these past few weeks, it's helped me fill in the gaps I know I've missed with my son. I'm looking forward to knowing Lex for his whole life. It doesn't replace what I'm missing with my son but it does help."

Liz mused lovingly, "I know you still think about him and miss him. I think you did the right thing for him, though. Do you regret giving him up?"

Max shook his head and answered, "No, I don't regret it. Like you said, it was the right thing to do for him."

"So what are you saying, Max? That I'm wrong to keep my son, since he won't have two parents raising him?", Isabel asked defensively, as she more fully entered the room and held her arms out for her son.

Liz said placatingly, "Isabel. I don't think Max meant anything like that."

Isabel retorted irritably, "I'd like my brother to use his own words, if you don't mind! Max?"

Max handed Lex to Isabel and he elaborated on his wife's answer, "Every situation is different. What was right for my son, is not automatically right for another child.

Your son was created in your marriage. Circumstances have changed for you, since then and so even though he won't be raised with two parents, you also won't be raising him alone and unsupported, either. Not that anything would be wrong with that, either, of course. There are plenty of fantastic single parents. The thing is, that despite your changed circumstances, you still won't have to do this alone, Isabel. You've got all of us behind you and we all love you both, very much. You know that."

Isabel teared up and admitted contritely, "I do know that, yes. You're right. I'm still on such an emotional rollercoaster. I didn't mean to snap at either of you. You've both been really great about this whole thing.

I'm the one who's struggling with my conscience. What kind of mother stays on the run with her baby? I know it isn't right, Max, but I can't bear the thought of ever giving him up, either and who knows when, if ever, it might be safe for us to really stop running, you know?"

Max reassured her, "We've been here in Bend now for almost eight weeks and it's been pretty quiet. If that changes, then we will have to move on, again. In the meantime, we'll stay vigilant but we'll focus on making money, performing anonymous random acts of kindness and we'll continue living under the radar, for as long as possible. Okay?"

Isabel nodded, smiled her gratitude and announced, "I'm gonna go change him, feed him, and have a nap with him. Hopefully by the time we wake up, Maria and Ava will be back from garage sale hopping. Can't wait to see what they've found that Ava and I can work our magic on and resell!"

Liz agreed, "Same here! Maria has such a good eye for finding stuff that has great resell potential! Like that really old, ugly bureau, she found last week that she bought for ten bucks and then after you and Ava were done with it, the winning bid on it was almost ninety-two dollars! That's just nuts!"

Max added, "Lucky for us, they do make a great turn over on the garage sale stuff; we have a lot of mouths to feed."

Isabel acknowledged that with a raised brow and a slight nod of agreement before leaving the room with Lex.

Liz gave Max a hug and a kiss and informed him, "Speaking of money, it's time for me to go get ready for work."

Max asked, "How many orders do you have today?"

Liz shrugged and guessed, "I think around a dozen? Depending on how spread out around the city they are, it should only take me around four hours. If I notice anything that needs some mysterious kindness, I'll use that voice recorder Maria found during the garage sale rounds, last month, to note the addresses for you guys. I think she grabbed it to keep up with her singing, but I'm sure she won't mind me using it, while I'm out doing deliveries on the bike."

Max nodded and told her his plans, "I'm sure you're right. Sounds great. Thanks for doing that, Liz. I'm going to take the other bike for a quick run to the grocery store. Just need a few things for dinners this week, plus we're a little low on tabasco sauce and Isabel mentioned earlier, that Lex needs diapers and wipes, as well."

Max had gone and returned from the grocery store and Maria and Ava were still not back with the van, yet. He hoped that meant they were getting a good haul. He put the groceries away and started making dinner.

Kyle got home from his nine to five job as the walking billboard for a dentist's office, mere minutes before Maria and Ava finally returned with their haul from garage sales they'd visited.

Maria handed Max an itemised list of their purchases and a list of addresses with notes about minor fixes Max and Michael could take care of anonymously.

Maria bragged on Ava's behalf, "Our girl here did what she could for the folks hosting the garage sales we went to. I wish we could see the look on that grandpa's face when he realises his gate is fixed! Poor guy; he kept apologising for it to everyone who came through. His arthritis has kept him from getting to it himself and his son and grandkids only visit at Christmas. He doesn't want to trouble his son with fix it lists for fear he won't want to come visit at all, anymore. Now he has one less thing that needs fixing! I wish I had gnarly powers to do stuff like that, too!"

Max insisted, "You don't need powers, Maria. You contribute plenty without them. The things on this list look promising, ladies. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out and how much they resell for.,

"How about you, Kyle? How was work, today? Any trouble?"

Kyle shrugged and admitted, "No. No trouble. It was okay. I think I'm doing the whole kindness thing backwards, though. I was the recipient of it, twice today. Someone gave me a hot chocolate and someone else tied my shoelace for me; kind of hard to bend over wearing a sandwich board."

Ava teased him, "That's because even wearing the tooth-shaped head gear, you just have a face that says help this nice boy!"

Kyle scoffed, "Nice boy? Don't let Heckle hear you say that, unless you feel like sparring with him, about my many personality flaws."

Maria interrupted, "Speaking of, is he up, yet, Max?"

The three of them snort laughed at her and said in unison, "Yeah right!"

Maria grimaced at them, announced, "Tsk. Whatever. I'll go remedy that.", and then she headed down to hers and Michael's sleeping quarters in the basement.

Ava suggested to Kyle, "I'm gonna go fill Isabel in on our finds. You coming with?"

Kyle asked Max first, "You need any help with dinner?"

Max shook his head, smiled and teased him, "Naw, man. You two go ahead and get those baby boy cuddles in. I got to hold him and play with him for the better part of an hour, today."

Kyle complained, "Aww man, my work hours suck! I miss all the good stuff!,

"Yeah, I'm definitley tagging along, Ava. Lex and I have some serious catching up to do!"

Ava argued teasingly, "Oh, if he's awake, Auntie Ava has first dibs, bub!"

Kyle argued as they made their way to Isabel's and Lex's room, "How is that first dibs when I said it first?"

Ava suggested coyly, "Because his Mommy might need Mighty The Molar cuddles?"

Kyle blushed and insisted, "She's still married."

Ava grinned, teasing him, "Platonic Mighty The Molar cuddles, then?"

Kyle shook his head and muttered in a friendly way, "Shut up. I get him right after you."

Ava cracked the bedroom door open and loud whispered, "Kyle's with me. Can we come in?"

Isabel answered at normal volume, "Sure. Come on in. He just woke up about twenty minutes ago. He already nursed and burped. I was just about to change him."

Ava asked hopefully, "Can I do it?"

Isabel chuckled, "You may regret that offer, but sure!,

"Hey, Kyle. How was work?"

Kyle blurted, "Hey, Isabel. Work was okay. Ava said I have nice boy face."

Isabel grabbed his chin turned his face side to side, grinned, then sided with Ava, "Well, you kind of do, Kyle!", and then she kissed his cheek.

Kyle and Isabel smiled into each others eyes and Kyle shrugged, conceding, "I guess I can live with that, then. How about you? How was your day?"

Isabel shrugged and bragged, "Lex-centric, therefore pretty perfect! Oh! I also finished taking pictures of the items that we have ready and I wrote up the descriptions and suggested starting bids for them, too. Next library run they can be posted online for auction."

Kyle said, "Oh, so that's how Jeckle got so much time with Lex today!"

Isabel laughed and accused teasingly, "Isn't jealousy against your religion?"

Kyle defended, "I'm not jealous like the bad kind of jealous, I just, you know, ever since I took this job, I miss him and I feel like I miss out on spending time with him, like I used to get to do, when I was still unemployed."

Ava dead-panned as she cuddled Lex, "Does Max know you feel this way? You do know he's married, right?"

Isabel laughed with Ava at the unimpressed expression Kyle aimed at Ava. Kyle held out his arms for Lex, then and insisted with a tight smile, "My turn."

Ava handed the infant over to him, with a friendly smile, then she and Isabel went down to the family room to review the work Isabel had done and to fill her in on what she and Maria had bought at various garage sales that afternoon.

Maria sat beside Michael and watched him sleeping for a few moments. She startled in alarm as he mumbled in distress, "Say no, Maria! Promise me you'll say no!"

Maria lightly shook him and urged him, "Michael! Wake up! What is it you want me to say no to? Michael! Michael!"

Michael groaned out, "What? I'm sleeping. Go away."

Maria asked quietly, in a dangerous tone, "Pardon me?"

Michael's eyes snapped open and he recanted, "I didn't actually mean that. What time is it?"

Maria answered, "A bit past five-thirty. Max is making dinner. Liz left for work about an hour ago. Ava and I just got back a few minutes ago. Kyle is likely hogging that sweet baby, again and I'm guessing Ava is catching Isabel up to speed on our finds while garage sale hopping."

Michael eyed her suggestively and asked, "What time is dinner?"

Maria quickly peeled off her clothes, as she answered, "We have time for a super quick round one."

Michael reached for her naked body as he demanded, "Good. I'll take what I can get. C'mere. I missed you."

Maria pulled away from his attempt at deepening their kiss and she scoffed, "You did not. You were sleeping."

Michael insisted, "Yes, I did. Even if I'm asleep, I always know if I'm alone in this bed. I don't like that empty space where you're supposed to be."

Maria slipped a condom onto his erection, mounted him and kissed him before saying contritely, "Oh. Okay then, I believe you because that's how I feel, too until you come to bed after work, every morning. I love you."

Michael moved with her and said between kisses, "I love you, too. You're always the best reason to wake up."

Maria rode him faster, declaring between breaths, "I get round two before you go to work, tonight, though, right?"

Michael nodded and added, "And round three when I get home from work, even if you're sleeping. Promise."

Maria bit her bottom lip, moaned loudly in pleasure and then acknowledged, "I'm glad we understand each other. Damn, spaceboy, how are you doing this to me already? This level of wow usually takes us way longer."

Michael answered flippantly, "Alien powers."

Maria held still and asked in disbelief, "Seriously?"

Michael chuckled and answered, physically prompting her to start moving, again, "No. I was kidding. I wouldn't even know how to do that."

Maria did a thing that made him gasp in pleasure and she suggested, "Maybe we could figure that out together? If it's even possible."

Michael kissed her and answered, "Whatever my angel wants, just do that thing you just did, again. I liked that. A lot."

Maria obliged him and then some.

The next morning, but still before dawn, Michael returned from his janitor slash guard dog attendant job, at a three store chain of hair salons. He spent two hours at each salon, cleaning the place, then feeding and letting the guard dogs out to pee. He got paid for eight hours work including gas, travel time and meal breaks. He rarely, if ever, saw a single person during his shifts.

He undressed in the pre-dawn dark of his and Maria's sleeping quarters and then he slipped into bed with Maria, fully intending to keep his earlier promise. He put his arm around her, nuzzled her neck and whispered, "I'm back."

Maria let him know she wasn't asleep with a light caress up and down his forearm across her middle and then she spoke, "I'm not sleeping, anymore. I set the alarm so I'd be awake when you came home."

He smoothed her hair, away from her ear and kissed it, then asked, "How come? I told you I'd give you round three even if you were sleeping. Something on your mind?"

She nodded, then turned to face him. They kissed for a few seconds and then Michael prompted, "So what's up? You seem, I don't know? Nervous?"

She nodded confirmation and admitted, "I am because there's something I've been wanting to talk to you about. About us. But with our opposite schedules, it's been hard to have an uninterrupted private conversation with you. It involves something you have generally been uncomfortable even referring to at all."

Michael frowned in consternation and asked, "What do you mean? What do you want to talk about that you think I won't want to talk about?"

Maria took a deep breath and prefaced her chosen topic with a disclaimer, "Just to be clear, this is completely a hypothetical. I just, I guess I just really want to know, if you and I can have a child, like together, in any near or distant future, someday? Would you want to? I mean with me?"

Michael's eyes widened in obvious surprise. He pulled her into his embrace and lightly rubbed her back as he mused, "Jesse and Isabel have proven that it's biologically possible and I've wanted to be a Dad, for as long as I can remember but I always assumed it was simply unattainable.

If I had a choice about it, I would definitely want it to be with you, but Maria, even though I probably could get you pregnant, I have no intention of ever doing that.

Hang on a sec, I'll explain. I'm not willing to even try to because I'm not sure if you really get what it would mean for your body, the fact that alien pregnancies only last four to six weeks.

Isabel tolerated it, only because she's a human-alien hybrid, but Maria you are fully human. An accelerated pregnancy like that would most probably kill you. I'll never be willing to knowingly risk that.

If that ever happened, then, not only would I not have a child to show for it, I wouldn't have you anymore, either and I can't even handle imagining you hurt, never mind the reality of you dying.

So to answer your question, no, you and I will not be having children together. Not now, not ever. I'm sorry if that answer hurts you. You know I hate hurting you, for any reason."

Maria started to quietly sob and she clung to Michael, as she tried to voice her thoughts, "Now, I think I understand better why you got so mad, when I forgot to tell you I wasn't on the pill, anymore. I had just thought you were freaked out about potentially being a Dad too young or something.

But even now that I understand your reasons, Michael, your answer still really hurts. I feel so heartbroken. It's not fair. You give me so much and you have this heart's desire that I can never grant to you, because you won't let me and oh my God, Michael, it hurts! It hurts so much!

Ever since Lex was born, I've been imagining what our baby might be like and I know I shouldn't have gone there, but it's too late. I already did and now I have to like mentally erase our imaginary baby and it feels like a loss. A real one. Maybe you shouldn't even be with me. Maybe you should just do like that book says and be with Isabel. Then at least you could be a Dad."

Michael tightened his embrace and he declared fiercely, "I don't want to be with Isabel. I want to be with you. If I can't have kids with you, then so be it, I can still be happier with you, than I would ever be having kids with someone who I'm not in love with. I choose you, Maria. Always. Period. "

Maria clung to him and declared just as fiercely, "I choose you, too, spaceboy."

Michael let out a long audible breath and kissed Maria on the lips briefly as he admitted, "I want you to know that I'd never choose to have a kid with Isabel, not even, you know, like in a petri dish or something because I couldn't do that to you.

No matter how much you might support my desire to be a Dad, I think it would hurt you too much to watch anyone else give me what you can't, or rather what I won't let you even try to give me. I'll never do that to you, Maria. All of me, right down to my very last sperm cell, belongs to you and only you."

Maria sniffle laughed and said, "That's kind of romantic. I love you, Michael."

Michael scoffed, "I don't do romantic but I do love you, too. Are you okay, angel?"

Maria shook her head and admitted, "No, not really, but I will be. It will just take me some time to accept this new information. No kids for us. I'm gonna be sad about that for a while but I will come to terms with it, eventually, I promise. You know what would really help me to at least not dwell on it, right now?"

Michael's threatening smirk was evident in his voice, "I have my suspicions. Lay it on me, though. What will help?"

Maria caressed his face with both hands, gently kissed him on the lips and then answered, "Remind me how blessed we are that we can make love anytime day or night without any thought of three a.m. feedings, or I had a bad dream interruptions, or middle of the day needs or early risers demanding breakfast to contend with. It's just you and me and that will always be amazing, right?"

Michael smiled appreciatively and he agreed as he rolled her onto her back and positioned himself on top of her, "Well, when you put it like that, absolutely. Would you like that reminder, right now?"

Maria wrapped her arms and legs around him and nodded, answering against his mouth as she kissed him, "Yes, please, spaceboy. Now would be perfect. It always is with you."

Michael flirted suggestively, "Plus you know there's that thing we're supposed to figure out together. Using my powers to somehow make our sex life even better?"

Maria smirked and commended, "And just like that I forget what we were talking about a minute ago. Nicely done, spaceboy!"

Michael hastly sheathed his erection with a condom and enthusiastically began their third round, enhanced with a side order of experimentation with his powers.

Kyle and Isabel smirked at each other over morning coffee and Isabel joked, "Like clockwork, right? All the way down in the basement, plus sound dampening treatment and we still wouldn't need an alarm clock! If I wasn't already up because of Lex, I mean."

Kyle quipped, "Rather wake up to the Lex alarm, all day, everyday, than to this."

Isabel asked cautiously, "Did he wake you up, this morning?"

Kyle lied with a gentle smile, "Nah. My alarm woke me up."

Liz and Max joined them with their own coffees and mumbled morning greetings. It was clear that Liz and Max could hear what was happening in the basement but they didn't verbally acknowledge it.

Liz gave Lex her finger to grasp in his fist and she jiggled his bouncy seat atop the island counter as she greeted, "Good morning, Mr. Sunshine! Such a handsome boy and so good for your Mommy, aren't you?,

"I hardly ever even hear him cry, Isabel. He's like the happiest baby I've ever met. You've got this Mommy thing in the bag!"

Isabel scoffed, "Oh, it isn't all on me! When would he get a chance to cry? He's like two feet from me when we are in our room and he gets constant attention and affection from you guys, the rest of the time! He's got nothing to cry about except if he's hungry or needs to be changed and that gets dealt with, within seconds of the first sound usually."

Liz asked in concern, "Are we overstepping?"

Isabel hastily refuted, "No, not at all! I can't imagine doing this Mommy thing without you guys! It's been great for me and for him, too, obviously! He is a very happy baby and he knows he is loved."

The sound of the doorbell made all of them freeze and exchange looks. Kyle waited until Liz, Isabel and Lex were out of sight and then he answered the door with Max nearby but hidden.

Kyle asked cautiously as he greeted the man in coveralls, "Yes? Can I help you?"

The man answered as though bored, "Routine building inspection."

Kyle refuted, "I just talked to the landlord yesterday. He never mentioned it?"

The man insisted, "That ain't my problem. I have a job to do. Step aside and let me do it."

Max flanked Kyle then and declined, "I don't think so. I don't know who you are but-"

The man took a step back and exclaimed, "Max?! What the hell are you doing in Oregon?"

Max narrowed his gaze and readied his hand to shield he and Kyle, just in case, as he asked, "How do you know my name? Who are you?"

The man sighed and answered in annoyance, "It's me, Max. Kal Langley."

Max challenged him, skeptically, "Prove it."

The man looked him in the eye and stated, "I'll hate you until my dying breath for ruining my life and making me shift that day, for what turned out to be, absolutely nothing."

Max winced but demanded, "If that's true, then what are you doing here? Let me rephrase. Tell me what you are doing here."

Kal answered tersely, "I'm here to protect the newest arrival. Are you going to let me in?"

Max and Kyle stood aside to let him in. Max demanded in curiosity, "Tell me how you knew about Lex. You seemed surprised to see me."

Kal answered, "I detected the presence of an unfamiliar hybrid and had no choice but to seek it out. I did not expect to find you in it's company, in Oregon. So where is it?"

Isabel appeared then with Lex in her arms and answered, "He, not it, is right here."

Kal blinked at her and asked, "Where?"

Max supplied, "In her arms, Kal. His name is Lex."

Kal scoffed, "Very funny. That is an infant. The new ones are generally upwardly mobile and can communicate. Hybrids don't hatch as infants."

Isabel said irritably, "My son did not hatch! I gave birth to him!"

Kal scoffed again, "Impossible. You and Michael won't be ready to breed for another three years, yet."

Isabel exclaimed, "First of all eww, gross and second of all, Michael isn't Lex's father."

Kal looked perplexed and he processed aloud, "Well, surely it's not Max's, so it has to be Michael's. Or perhaps Rath's. Genetically identical and interchangeable, in theory."

Isabel reacted, "Okay, triple gross! My husband Jesse Ramirez is the father, thank-you very much!"

Michael and Maria joined them, making it obvious they'd been eavesdropping. Kal didn't notice and he again refuted Isabel's claim, "That is definitely not possible. The royal four can only breed with their intended mates, or the copies of their intended mates."

Michael chimed in argumentatively, "Guess you've never watched Jurassic Park or you'd already know that life finds a way."

Kal startled and turned to look at Michael. He became visibly flustered as he noticed Maria and he averted his gaze from her.

Max noticed and demanded, "Tell me what problem you have with Maria."

Kal answered cryptically, "Those eyes are out of context. It wasn't supposed to be like this. Everything is going wrong. It's utter chaos. None of this is in my job description. I have to go. I'll be in touch. Stay put for your own safety."

Max halted him, "Kal! Choose a password phrase, to avoid recognition problems the next time we see you."

Kal looked at him, with unbridled hatred, as he said tersely, "Lemons took fifty years.", and then he was gone.

Michael objected, "Why didn't you make him explain that crap he said about Maria, Maxwell?"

Max shrugged and confessed, "I don't like the guy and I just didn't feel like detaining him and grilling him, only to get more questions than answers. He's good at that. He'll be back. We can try to get more out of him then, but I gotta tell you, Michael, I'm not holding out hope that he'll be any more forthcoming."

Michael sighed in exasperation, kissed Maria's cheek and announced, "Whatever, Maxwell. I'm gonna go crash now. Later.,

"'Night, angel. Love you."

Maria smiled and said back, "Love you, too, spaceboy. Have a good sleep! I'll wake you up-"

Michael interrupted her to supply, "Whenever you want? Yeah, I know. I'm good with that."

Maria didn't refute his prediction and just smiled proudly, as he bounded down the stairs out of sight.

Once Michael was gone, she turned to Isabel who was already holding Lex out to her. Maria grinned and said appreciatively, as she accepted Lex from her, "It's so great to be with people who understand me!,

"Good morning Auntie Maria's sweet precious boy! Did you grow overnight? I think you did! Gotta kiss those cheeks, oh yes I do! You are the best baby ever!"

Liz commented quietly, "And apparently hybrid blooded like Max, Isabel, Ava, and Michael, or Kal wouldn't have shown up. No microscope needed."

Isabel looked stricken suddenly and she lamented, "Jesse will just use this as one more reason to keep his son at a distance."

Kyle hastily tried to console her, "His loss. Lex is awesome! Maybe in time, Jesse will come around. Family is family. If he doesn't, you and Lex still have all of us. Hopefully our acceptance and presence in his life can counter balance his father's indifferent absence, in some small way."

Though nobody argued with him, their exchanged looks made it clear that they all knew better; when Lex was old enough to understand, nothing would stop him from feeling the pain of his father's rejection.
Last edited by Fidomom on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm also a moderator at Roswell Ardor fan fiction forum.

keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-7/? - 10/07/18

Postby keepsmiling7 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Isabel's little Lex couldn't have any more attention anywhere.
All of the women, especially Liz are getting baby fever. I know Max thinks about Zan, but he shouldn't shut Liz out completely.
It's a nice touch having Ava along on this adventure! I like her,
And who arrives but Kal.
Can't wait for more,
Carolyn

Fidomom
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-8/? - 11/09/18

Postby Fidomom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 am

@keepsmiling7: Thanks for your support, Carolyn! Happy to know you are enjoying the story. This chapter is a bit light on Max/Liz but they will have a pretty big part in the story over all. Just to let you know.

Title: Finding Something Better
Author: Fidomom

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. It is only loosely based on characters from the 1999-2002 tv series Roswell as I imagine they could be from different points throughout and beyond the three seasons of the show. I am not affiliated with any of the original creations nor creators from the series. I will make no monetary gains from publishing this work of fiction.

Pairings/Characters/Category: Michael & Maria, Max & Liz, Kyle, Isabel & Ava, CC, UC, AU, w/Aliens
Rating: Adult
Summary: This chapter - Isabel's emotional rollercoaster ride continues. Ava impresses her crew. Max realizes he can't fix everything. Kyle rises to a challenge. Michael is trying; very trying. Liz helps Max see things differently. Maria wants her own bathroom because reasons.

Finding Something Better
by Fidomom

Chapter Eight

Isabel called out to Jesse tentatively, not knowing what reception to expect. He turned from his own dream and demanded, "Isabel, what are you doing here?"

Isabel swallowed past the lump in her throat and answered, "I umm, I have some news. About our son."

Jesse shook his head and confessed, "I'm still having trouble with that one."

Isabel asked defensively, "Which part, exactly?"

Jesse answered in a fierce whisper, despite that they were in no danger of being overheard within a dream, "All of it! We were together four months ago, how can there be a baby already born? How can there even be a baby? You were on the pill! We decided no kids until I had long-term employment in the bag!"

Isabel glossed over the explanation, "I was on antibiotics for a thing I thought I had and it messed up the effectiveness of my pill. I didn't do this on purpose, Jesse! And I didn't choose to be hunted like this! All I've ever wanted, is just to live a normal and happy life!"

Jesse's expression softened somewhat and he prompted, "I know. I do get that. So what is this news, then?"

Isabel wished she could just not even tell him but she did anyway, "He ... Jess, he has blood like mine."

Jesse backed up, shaking his head, as he lamented, "No, man. This. This is too much. I could have gone my whole life without being told that. What am I supposed to do with that, Is? I know we briefly discussed making custody arrangements but now? He can't ever be a part of my life. Not safely; not for either of us! This just gets more and more unreal for me, you know?"

Isabel couldn't stop her tears from falling as she asked brokenly, "What am I supposed to tell him when he asks about you? When he asks about his Daddy?"

Jesse didn't say anything for several heartbeats and then he answered quietly, "Tell him I died. That's the kindest thing I can think of, because the truth sucks and it's ugly and it's unfair for all of us."

Isabel glared through her tears and declined, "No, you are not putting this all on me! I will not lie to my child to ease your conscience because you can't accept our son as he is!"

Jesse pointed at her accusingly and he insisted, "That's not fair. I didn't choose for things to shake out like this, any more than you did. And this isn't even about my acceptance of him; I can't be a realistic part of his life, Isabel! You and I will not be like other divorced parents because only one of us has blood that endangers both of our lives! Now our son does, too! It's cruel to dangle me in his life and to dangle him in mine, when it's simply not possible for us to be family to each other. We'll never know each other, Isabel. Do him a favour and just tell him I died."

Isabel lifted her chin resolutely and declared, "What I choose to tell my child about you or anything else, is no longer any of your business. That's your choice. You're making that much perfectly clear."

Jesse asked in anguish, "What were you expecting me to do? I mean, I guess if you need money from me, I can set something like that up."

Isabel rolled her eyes and scoffed, "Expecting? Nothing. I had hope but you took care of that in short shrift. We don't want or need your money, Jesse. Once our divorce is final you'll never have to deal with either of us, ever again."

Jesse nodded and said, "December twenty-third. That's the expected date of my final divorce decree from my estranged and missing wife. You can confirm it with me, then but in the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you'd stay out of my dreams. It's too weird and too painful. Whatever else you might think, Isabel, I did love you. A part of me always will but I just can't deal with the danger I'd have to be in, just to be a part of your lives, nevermind being with you. You did the right thing leaving me behind. It gave me the perspective I needed."

Isabel nodded and confirmed, "I'll check in with you, in December then and I'll stay out of your dreams until then and thereafter, as well. I think you're mistaken about us, though, Jesse. I don't think we did love each other. I think we loved who we thought we married and neither of us could live up to it, in the end.

I want you to know that I don't hate you for any of it, not even our ending. I can't. I got Lex out of being with you and he is the very best, random and unexpected gift I've ever received, so thank-you for him. Good-bye, Jesse."

Jesse's sad eyes said it for him and Isabel woke herself up. She wiped at the tears on her face, and checked on Lex, relieved she hadn't woken him. Noting the time, she thought she could take a few minutes for herself, hopefully out of earshot of everyone else who was sleeping.

With the baby monitor nearby, she curled up on the living room sofa, in the pre-dawn dark and sobbed her residual heartbreak into a cushion.

Liz smirked in the dark without opening her eyes and she accused, "I can feel you staring at me, Max. Why are you even awake?"

Max answered as he stroked a strand of hair away from her cheek, "Not staring. Admiring. I've no idea why I'm awake but whatever the reason is, I'm glad I am because otherwise, I'd have missed the sight of my beautiful wife, smiling in her sleep."

Liz put her hand over his, still near her cheek and she asked in interest, "Are you trying to seduce me?"

Max couldn't keep the grin out of his voice, as he replied, "That depends. Is it working?"

Liz shifted so she could put her arms around him and she whispered by his ear, "Probably. Unless maybe I'm the one who just seduced you? Thoughts?"

Max nuzzled her neck, as his hands wandered and then he agreed, "It could definitely be like that. You can be very uhh, hmm, persuasive, Liz Parker."

Liz reached over to the nearest bedside table, grabbing what she knew was there even if she couldn't fully see it and she presented him with it, advising, "Either way, we'll be needing one of these, handsome."

Max flirted, "Only one?"

Liz flirted back, "At a time, Max. I meant one at a time."

Their mouths found several other things to do besides talk, after that, as they made love to each other.

Kyle opened his eyes, puzzled by the darkness. He looked over at his alarm, made a baffled face, muttered to himself, "You got three more hours before opened eyes even needs to be a thing, Valenti. What the hel-. Sorry. But seriously.", and he rolled over, to try to go back to sleep.

His eyes snapped open less than a minute later, as he mused, "Unless I heard Lex? Maybe that's why I'm awake? Should I check? No. I mean Isabel's in there with him. They're both probably fast asleep. Like I should be. Except now I have to pee. Great."

Kyle stumbled around his room in the dark, looking for his robe. Finally finding it, he shrugged into it, belting it, as he left his room. He used the toilet by the light of the nightlight and finally understood what an awesome invention that was.

Halfway back to his room, he sighed and lamented, "If it ain't one thing, it's another."

He headed downstairs, intending to make himself some warm milk to quell his hunger rumblings and hopefully send him back to dreamland while there was still time enough to dream before his alarm intervened.

As he passed by the living room he heard the unmistakeable sounds of Lex making baby noises in his sleep over the baby monitor and then he heard another sound that surprised and concerned him.

Abandoning his warm milk mission, Kyle went into the darkened living room and straight over to the quietly sobbing lump on the sofa. He didn't know of a way to announce his presence without startling her but he tried for a quiet voice and a light touch on her shoulder as he spoke, "Isabel? Hey, what is it? What's wrong?"

To his surprise she didn't startle at all. She turned her face away from the cushion and answered on a hiccup, "I dreamwalked Jesse. I told him about Lex's blood. He wants me to tell our son he died." and she resumed sobbing into the cushion.

Kyle understated lamely, "Oh. Well, that sucks."

Isabel added, "And our divorce will be final at Christmas! He knows Christmas is my happy place! And then he told me to stay out of his dreams!"

Kyle simply said, "Wow.", to that and awkwardly patted her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

Isabel asked him almost a minute later, "You're not gonna tell the others about finding me like this, are you?"

Kyle confirmed, "No. Not if you don't want them to know."

Isabel sat up then, indicating Kyle could sit beside her and she elaborated, "It's not that. Well, not exactly. I just felt so ... upset! I didn't want to wake anyone, least of all Lex, you know? And it's not that I'm embarrassed, it's just that they all want me to be fine with all of this and I'm not, Kyle. I miss my old life! And when Max and Michael find out about Jesse they won't mean to, well, maybe Michael will mean to, but they'll both give me those looks. The we told you so, looks. And I don't need that right now. I can't talk to Liz about it, because her first loyalty is to my brother, I can't talk to Maria because we aren't that close, I can't talk to Ava because she didn't even know Jesse or what things were like for us when they were good, you know?"

Kyle asked tentatively, "But why not me? You could have woken me up, if you needed to talk."

Isabel nodded and explained in frustration, "Well, yes and no. I mean, yes because you're my best friend but no, not really because things between us have changed. I didn't want to confuse you or have you think that I'm still hung up on Jesse. That isn't what this is about, at all. Please, tell me that you get that?"

Kyle answered sincerely, "I loved you enough to let you marry someone else, without telling you how I felt because we both thought that he could make you happy. Even if this was about you being hung up on Jesse, for me nothing has changed. I still love you that much. You are my best friend, first. Always. Anything else is just icing. So if there is ever a next time, just wake me up, okay?"

Isabel spilled fresh tears but she smiled at him as she agreed, "Okay. I love you that much, too, by the way. And more all the time. Like now."

Kyle opened his arms invitingly and Isabel snuggled against him, as she resumed crying about her encounter with Jesse until she'd gotten enough of it out of her system to be able to function again. Kyle just held her until she was ready to stop.

As she pulled away, he offered, "Tea?"

She nodded but grabbed his hand before he'd taken two steps toward the kitchen. She squeezed it and said meaningfully, "Thank-you, Kyle."

He knew she didn't mean for the offer of tea. He squeezed her hand in return and assured her, "I'll be back with tea, in five."

Kyle had just poured Isabel's tea when Michael got home from work. Kyle started to explain what he was doing up but Michael held up his hand and warned, "I only have enough energy for one person right now and you, Jockstrap, are not that person. Later!", and Michael headed straight to Maria.

Michael undressed quickly and got into bed with her. She didn't wake up until round three was almost over and she greeted him passionately when she did, mumbling between kisses, "I'm glad you're home, spaceboy. Thank-you for keeping your promise. I love waking up to you like this."

Michael managed one heartfelt, "I love you, angel.", before he was spent.

Maria waited expectantly for their post-coital cuddles but it wasn't happening. She prompted him, "Michael? Aren't you coming to bed properly?"

Michael answered with trepidation in his voice, "Uhh, Maria, we have a problem."

Maria frowned at his figure, still kneeling between her legs and asked, "Okay, what? What is it?"

Michael stated bluntly, "The condom is missing."

Maria tutted and rolled her eyes as she explained, "Tsk, no, Michael, condoms do not just go missing - you either put one on or you didn't and I can't imagine why you would not put one on, since we've already discussed that we are not taking any risks with baby making, remember?"

Michael nodded and agreed, "No, I know. That's why it's a problem. I did put one on but now I can't find it."

Maria asked him solemnly, "Michael, did we just have unprotected human alien hybrid relations?"

Michael audibly sucked breath through his teeth and he answered, "Well, I'm not sure. I think it's still in you. If it was on me until the last moment before I pulled out, then there probably won't be any spillage, but if it came off before I ejaculated, well, then yeah, unprotected."

Maria asked in clear confusion, "How could you not notice which thing happened?!"

Michael shrugged and insisted, "I don't know? It didn't feel any different to me - it just felt as good as usual! Can you try to find it?"

Maria scoffed, "I have fingernails, therefore that would be an emphatic uhh no! Thank-you very much!"

Michael sighed heavily and asked, "Well, should I go get Liz or Isabel to help?"

Maria huffed in annoyance and admonished him, "Oh for pity's sake, Michael, it's not like you've never put your fingers in there before. Just find it, okay?"

Michael retorted in equal annoyance, "Right, because I'm your lover not your gynecologist; that part of you is for love and pleasure - not scavenger hunting."

They were both quiet for several seconds and then Maria said softly, "I forgive you."

Michael wondered with residual annoyance, "What for?"

Maria elaborated slowly and clearly, "For not noticing exactly when it went missing. Here's the thing, the longer it stays in me, if that is where it is, the higher the risk of baby making.

I told you I was really horny last night before you went to work because I am fertile right now, Michael. So fertile. A woman knows these things. And although I'm pro-choice for women in general, I'm Catholic, so if there is a baby - well then there's gonna be a baby because I personally don't intend to take any morning after pill or an abortion pill or to abort it at a clinic, either.

Plus there's the whole will it or won't it be human like me or an alien hybrid like you and just in case it was like you, we couldn't let any medical facility have access to any related biological material, correct?"

Michael's voice was strained with worry as he confirmed, "That's if you even survived getting pregnant, at all, but yeah, okay, okay. I hear you. I left it in there, I have to be the one to retrieve it. Just don't watch."

Maria readily agreed, "Whatever it takes, Michael. Fine. Not watching. Whoa! Hey, now! Why are you doing that?"

Michael explained self-consciously, "Well, I couldn't see because your fleshy bits are obstructing where I usually go!"

Maria consoled and encouraged him, "Okay, well, whatever, just fish the damned condom out of me, now, would you, please?"

Michael felt around inside of her carefully and finally exclaimed, "Ahh! Got it! And there's stuff in it! Yes! No baby! Probably. I'll go wash up and then I need to scrounge up some grub. I'm starving!"

Maria protested, "Pardon me, Michael? After all of that, you're leaving me here, alone? No cuddles? Also, did you miss the part where your woman is very, very horny? We are not done here, pal-ly!"

Michael quickly kissed her cheek and patted her bare thigh as he assured her, "Nah, I didn't miss anything, that's why I gotta go eat - to keep up with you, before I need to crash for the day."

Maria conceded, "Oh. Okay, well, were you planning on bringing me some food, too?"

Michael paused a little too long before answering her, "Uhh, yes?"

Maria scoffed incredulously, "Unbelievable!"

Michael defended himself, "What? Sorry! I thought it was too early for you to want food. What do you want to eat, then? I'll bring you whatever you want, as long as it won't take too long to make."

Maria muttered, "Well, that significantly narrows my options. Fine. A meat sandwich. A piece of fruit. Oh, and I guess a big glass of milk. Can you handle all of that, spaceboy?"

Michael answered flatly, "Yeah. I'll go get your burger, fries and soda. You want diet soda or regular?"

Maria started to object, "Mic-!", but he cut her off with a brief chuckle and said,
"I'm just kidding. Meat sandwich, which, by the way, does also describe a burger, a piece of fruit and big glass of milk, coming right up. Don't get dressed; I'll be back pretty fast."

Maria asked in curiosity, "So, what happens if I'm dressed when you return?"

Michael was getting his clothes back on and he answered, "I'll have to undress you again."

Maria flirted then, "What if I'd like that? A lot."

Michael leaned in, kissed her on the lips, pulled away only an inch or so and stated pointedly, "Suit yourself. Whatever. Seems like a waste of energy that we could better spend on me touching you, some more but without the scavenger hunting."

Maria sucked in a hard breath and praised, "Oh, you're good! This chick will still be naked when you return!"

Michael grinned and admitted, "Good. Sometimes I wish my powers included fast forwarding to the good parts. Be right back!", and he sprinted away.

Maria tried to call him back but failed, "Mic-! Geez, the least he could have done is take the damned used condom up with him! Guess it can wait until later, then. What I wouldn't give to have our own bathroom down here!"

Kyle touched Isabel's back in concern as she suddenly doubled over and stifled a scream. She had just fed Lex and put him down again. Kyle asked worriedly, "Isabel? Are you okay? What is it?"

Isabel answered through pained tears, "I don't know but oh my God, it hurts!"

Kyle asked, "What should I do? Should I go get Max?"

Ava cracked open the door just then and loud whispered, "It's Ava. Can I come in, Isabel?"

Isabel nodded and Kyle answered in her stead, also in a loud whisper, "Yeah, come on in. Lex is down for the count again but something's wrong with Isabel. I don't know what to do. What should I do?"

Ava took one look at Isabel and commiserated sympathetically, "Ugh, breeding pains are the worst! I think I have at least a couple more weeks before mine come back but I'm here for yours, girl. Don't you even worry about Lex. I'll look after him and just bring him to you whenever he needs you and I'll also get you anything you need, until the pains are gone, okay?"

Kyle repeated his question, "What about me? What should I do?"

Ava smirked at him and answered, "Let her take it out on you without repercussions. She might need support to make it to the bathroom, too, when she needs to go because anything other than fetal position is just excruciating. That and back rubs and hot water bottles help some but nothing can really be done except to wait for it to pass. That or conceive and it seems a bit soon for that, since Lex is only three months old. I've always wondered whose brilliant idea this was, to make it possible for us to have babies so close together because that wouldn't draw attention to us, at all! Sheesh! Three days of this, Kyle. Think you can handle it?"

Kyle shrugged and answered, "She's my best friend. I'll have to. Except I can't take time off of work. Max has same hours as me at the pet mart for the next three days, too. Maybe you and Liz or Liz and Maria or you and Maria could help her when I'm at work?"

Ava suggested, "Aren't you forgetting someone? What about Michael? He's home all day, while you're at work."

Isabel and Kyle answered together, "Unreliable. He sleeps all day."

Ava suggested, "Well, maybe he wouldn't, if you needed him not to. It couldn't hurt to ask, could it?"

Kyle shrugged skeptically and Ava dropped it. She suggested to Kyle, "How about that hot water bottle? We do have one don't we? I'll ask Max to buy a couple more, too, so they can be switched out, as needed. I think our only one is under the kitchen sink, if I recall correctly. Since you did ask what you could do for her. "

Kyle nodded and turned to go, "I'm on it."

He once again crossed paths with Michael, who was carrying a tray laden with food. Kyle informed him, "Isabel is in rough shape, Michael."

Michael interrupted before Kyle could elaborate, "I'm sorry that Isabel feels like crap, Kyle, but I can't deal with that, right now! My naked girlfriend is waiting for me! She is very very horny! She hasn't been this hot for me in like three months, so me? I'm taking this food to her and if wishes come true, you will not see us again, until hopefully, later this afternoon! Do not disturb us until at least then!"

Kyle tried again, anyway, "But seriously, Michael, Isa-"

Michael spoke over him, "No, Kyle. Has to be later. I mean it."

Kyle accused irritably, "Isabel would never do this to you, if you needed her."

Michael hastily blurted, as he headed for the stairs to the basement, "And I will be there for her but first things first! First Maria, then some shut-eye and then whatever Isabel needs! Promise!"

Kyle scoffed, shaking his head, as he muttered to Michael's already retreated figure, "Pfft. Yeah, right. Whatever."

Michael smiled proudly as he presented Maria with her food and he bragged, "Told you, I'd be quick!"

Maria accepted the food but complained, "I'm torn between embarrassment over you blurting out our intimate plans to everyone we know and -"

Michael interrupted to refute, "No, I didn't. It was just Kyle."

Maria laughed and assured him, "Trust me, honey, the walls in this place are all paper thin, you really did tell everyone."

Michael grimaced, shrugged and prompted her to finish what he had interrupted, "And? Torn between embarrassment or ... ?"

Maria made extra room for him to join her on the bed with the tray of food and she continued, "Amused chagrin. What you said was not correct. That I haven't been this hot for you in three months. Highly untrue. I'm like tabasco sauce, spaceboy - I'm always hot for you whether I want to be or not!"

Michael openly doubted, "Then why is sex always my idea? Or mostly. Like I said you being like this is not how things usually go."

Maria took a sip of milk and answered, "Sure but that's only because your libido is usually perfect for me. I generally want it when you do. I get a little more aggressive about it when I'm hornier than you, which is not how things usually are, so I can understand why you thought me feeling this way is new. It isn't, you just usually beat me to the seduction end of things.

As for the times I've turned you down for sex? Usually illness related. It's never because I found you suddenly unattractive or unappealing. I admittedly downplay your desirability, if only so I can still fit in the same room as you and your ego."

Michael looked her in the eye appreciatively and wondered, "Good to know. So, if we're on the same page, right now, then, why are you still all covered up?"

Maria explained, "Because I didn't know if someone might be barging in behind you or not, given Kyle's persistence. What exactly is wrong with Isabel?"

Michael shrugged, shook his head and admitted,"No idea. My mind was kind of on getting back to you and I didn't let him tell me. I'll find out when I wake up, later. Much later And just so you know, I'd never let anyone see you naked; that's for my eyes only."

Maria amended for him, "And doctors."

Michael made it conditional, "Only if it's a woman."

Maria laughed in amusement and asked, "What if she's bisexual or gay?"

Michael answered smugly, "So? I know that you aren't. I don't want other guys looking at you naked or touching you, either, actually, even if you're fully clothed.", as a certain New Year's Eve groping crossed his mind.

Maria raised her brows and asked cheekily, "Oh really? Did Mr. Parker and Mr. Evans get that memo? How about Jim Valenti?"

Michael answered in annoyance, "No, they don't count. I meant someone who could lure you away from me if they are better looking, better educated, more talented or make a lot of money, like say a doctor for instance.

I already know you deserve better than me, so I really don't need some other guy, rubbing my face in my short comings."

Maria smiled and patted his hand, "Oh, Michael, you really don't get it. Better than you is unfathomable to me. Maybe as far fetched as it would be to most people if we told them that an alien dressed up like Santa just to flirt with one specific human female dressed as an elf."

Michael smiled slightly at the memory and he pointed out, "But that actually happened."

Maria nodded and said, "Yeah, it did. You know it and I know it, but you gotta admit that it sounds pretty far-fetched. My point being that someone better than you, as far as I'm concerned, is even more far fetched, than that. There's no such things as aliens or Santa, either, for that matter. But you are my realest deal ever. Do you get it, now?"

Michael kissed her lips briefly and said, "Yeah. Thanks for saying that. Maybe once you're done eating, we could stop talking and get back to making out, instead because even though it was just a food run, I missed you like crazy."

Maria's eyes widened in suprise and she voiced it, "Whoa, somebody's getting mushy and for once it's not me! I am definitely in agreement with your suggested plan of action, though, spaceboy."

Michael complained again, "Why are you still covered up, then? Come on, Maria, we're alone. I like the scenery a lot better when I can see everything."

Maria asked warningly, "So now I'm just scenery?"

Michael fidgeted and tried different words, instead, "Uhh. Pass. Aren't you done eating, yet?"

Maria shook her head, smiling at his obviousness as she admitted, "Oh, I'm definitely done. Is this better?", and she set aside the sheet that had been covering her.

Michael's eyes traveled slowly up and down her body, he wet his lips and finally spoke, "Yeah. I don't say it enough but Maria DeLuca you are so damned hot. It makes me nuts, sometimes. Just so you know, I always want you, too, even when I used to wish that I didn't.

Not to open up an old wounds or anything, but that's partly what the Courtney thing was about. I was merely investigating her initially but when she tried to seduce me, I let her - just a bit! I just needed to see if she could make me not want you, anymore, since you and I were not getting along so great, at the time.

It only took a few seconds for me to get the answer; I realized it didn't change my feelings about you, at all, so I pushed her away. I never meant to hurt your feelings by kissing her back, I was just testing my own feelings, because it was kind of all new to me. Feelings are still weird. Mostly. Except for mine for you. Those pretty much always feel good. That's what made me so uncomfortable during the stupidity. Feeling good. I wasn't used to it. I'm starting to like it now, though."

Maria nodded in understanding and asked, "So besides not succeeding in kissing me out of your system, what other verdicts did you reach about me and you?"

Michael got rid of their tray, then stripped as he declared, "Just that every cell in my body is pretty much convinced that I'm only ever supposed to kiss you. Only ever supposed to love you. Nobody else. No further tests needed. I'm yours, Maria. I just really want you to understand how serious our, what did I call it? Stupid relationship? Really is for me. Stupid because I'm stupid in love with you and I don't foresee that changing soon or ever.", and he joined her in bed again, kissing her deeply as he wrapped himself around her.

When he paused kissing to breathe, Maria noted appreciatively, "You said some of that a bit differently, on your bike, when you tried to leave me behind. I like this updated version better. It leaves me with fewer things to wonder about."

Michael made love to her and then in afterglow he continued as if they hadn't stopped talking, "Did you really think I'd left you for good, that day?"

Maria nodded and admitted, "Yeah. Pretty much."

Michael gently grasped her chin to make her look at him and he suggested, "If I ever try to pull that crap again, Maria, don't believe me. Don't try to stop me, because, well, we both know what a bonehead I can be. Just wait it out, I guarantee you, that you won't wait long. I can't do this, any of this, without you, any more. The whole time I was away, I kept worrying that you'd wind up as an acceptable casualty to alien hunters. At least if I'm with you, I feel like I've got at least a shot at protecting you."

Maria put her palm on his face and lightly stroked his cheek with her thumb as she agreed, "I will accept that justification only because it really works for me and because you already confessed the real reason you'll never leave me. Say it again, now. Stupid ...?"

Michael repeated himself from her prompt, "Stupid in love with you, Maria."

Maria squirmed excitedly and asked with a big smile,"You do realise you just made me ridiculously happy, don't you?"

Michael smiled softly and kissed her temple as he admitted, "Mmmmhhmm. Know what else? I started missing you within seconds after I left, that day. Your spaceboy here was love starved growing up. I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't just like my Maria hugs, and kisses and cuddles and back rubs and quiet I love yous; I need those. Lots and lots of them. All the damned time. I need to give them to you a lot more often, too. You've definitely succeeded in turning me into an affection junkie."

Maria teased him, "Not to mention a horndog."

Michael retorted with mock indignance, "Yeah, look who's talking."

Maria strained upward to kiss his mouth briefly and then she said more seriously, "Michael, here's the thing. I love you. Deeply. I intend to feed your addictions to me for the rest of our lives together. Just so you know."

Michael sighed and tutted but he couldn't quite not smile as he scolded her, "Tsk, you're such an enabler."

Maria pointed out, "Lucky you."

He grinned and conceded, "Lucky me, indeed. Can we get back to making out and having more sex, now?"

Maria kissed her way up his chest to his ear and answered in a breathy whisper, "Oh, yeah. Definitely. C'mere you sexy alien. I want spaceboy smooches. All over my body."

Michael pulled away from her and looked at her like there was a malfunction in communication as he demanded to know, "Smooches? How the hell does a word like that turn me on so fast?"

Maria lightly caressed his hip, his ass cheek and his upper thigh and then suggested, "Oh, I don't know for sure but it might have something to do with the naked woman in your arms and in your bed. Just a theory."

Michael ravaged her neck and breasts with kisses briefly and then stopped to ponder it further, "Yeah, that's gotta be it, because seriously? Smooches? I don't know how I'm ever going to get my cool card back, now."

Maria bargained with him, "It can be our little secret."

He scoffed at her willpower, "Right after you tell everyone we know, you mean?"

She retorted, teasing him more, "I can be persuaded not to. With some very well placed smooches."

He hung his head, resting his forehead against the pillow beside her head, as he groaned at her persistence, "Arrggh! You're killing me, here, Maria. I'm not gonna live this one down am I?"

Maria shook her head in sympathy and changed the subject, "You know what, spaceboy?"

He waited expectantly and she continued, "You're a lot more fun to be with, when you're openly in love with me, like this. I feel like I'm on a high that I never want to come down from. I'm really, really happy, Michael. Thank-you."

Michael deflected, "For what? I didn't do anything."

She stroked hair behind his ear and argued softly, "For being a bit silly with me just now. It feels good to just joke around a little with you, like that, instead of always obsessing over our umm stupid relationship. It feels good to know that the person I love most, loves me, too. That's all I ever wanted from you; all I'll ever want. Just love me, your way, without holding back. Okay?"

Michael nodded and affirmed, "That's my plan. Plus, I don't exactly have a choice anymore. I don't know how to control it, or scale it back, or fight it or stop it and I am not looking for ways to do that, anymore, either. I love you, Maria and that is just the way it is. I figure I might as well just go with it and feel as happy as I can, for as long as possible. You're pretty much stuck with me, now."

She tightened her embrace and kissed him noisily but briefly before declaring, "Fabulous! I approve."

He narrowed his eyes at her and expressed chagrin, "You can be irritatingly cute, sometimes, you know that? Mud definitely won't work for me, anymore."

Maria laughed and scoffed, "Pfft, like it ever did."

Michael muttered in defeat, "So you figured that out."

She raised one brow and stated drily, "You gave me tons of clues; it wasn't that hard."

Michael nodded, shrugged and asked in curiosity, "Did you have some similar way to ward me off?"

Maria nodded and replied, "Yep. Mine wasn't really a distraction word, though. It was quite literal. I imagined situations and conversations with you, that might weaken my resolve and I practiced my word faithfully but it never seemed to take, in front of you."

Michael pressed her for more information, "What was your word?"

Maria lamented, "No. No was the word and it failed me miserably. My mouth can form the word beautifully but my heart just can't seem to deny you, Michael Guerin. Sad but true."

Michael didn't miss a beat as he added, "Is an awesome song by the best band ever."

Maria jokingly scolded, "Good thing Sher- oh, I mean Deputy Valenti didn't just hear you say that."

Michael amended his earlier statement, "Well, besides the Kit Shickers, I meant. Especially when that hot chick sings with them. Obviously."

She laughed appreciatively and pretended she believed him, "Oh, obviously."

Michael's expression sobered and he said her name, "Maria."

She prompted him to continue with an expectant look.

Michael kissed her from her mouth to her ear and slipped his hand between her legs to touch her intimately, as he spoke beside her ear, "This."

Maria closed her eyes and encouraged him, "Ohhhhh. Okay. Yeah. That. And that, too! Oh God, Michael. Yes, yes. More. Oh God Michael! Yeah, right there. Oh God, yes! Michael, Michael, oh God Michael! Please don't ever stop."

Michael caressed her on the inside and nuzzled her neck as he breathed out in escalating sexual excitement, "Couldn't agree more, angel mine. I love you so damned much!"

Maria commanded ironically, "Shut-up and show me, spaceboy!"

Michael chuckled in spite of himself and obliged her demand.

By the end of the second day of Isabel's struggle with breeding pains, everyone was feeling concerned. Max was particularly upset about it because it wasn't something he could fix; she didn't require healing.

Ava was true to her word and she was at Isabel's beck and call, without resentment. Ava knew exactly how it felt and she had only compassion for her.

Ava's mothering of Isabel and Lex weren't lost on either Liz or Kyle; taking care of people seemed to be her strength.

After Lex's last feeding for the night, Isabel was especially restless and distraught. Kyle did his best to comfort her, only for her to snap at him, "Unless you're going to knock me up, right this second, could you please just leave me alone!"

Kyle hesitated but decided to back off, at least for a bit. Ava nodded her approval of his decision. A few minutes later she approached him and reassured him, "It's the pain talking. She didn't mean it; at least not permanently. In the moment she definitely meant it!

It's hard to be patient or appreciative when the pain makes you feel like you're being torn apart from the inside. It does sort of intensify to a point where you feel like you might lose your mind and then recedes to a point where you could cheerfully kill something. I think when it gets back to the latter, she might want you around again."

Kyle gasped and shook his head as he sympathised, "That sounds fun. I'm sorry either of you, ever go through that. I'm not scared off, though. I don't mind if she needs to vent at me. I just thought it might irritate her more, if I don't respect her wishes, even if it's just for ten minutes. That is the longest I'm willing to leave her alone, in this state, when I'm not at work. Time's almost up."

Isabel bellowed from the sofa, "Kyle! Where are you? I need you!"

Ava grinned at him smugly and said, "See? Oh. Don't go in there empty handed. Always have the next hot water bottle ready and in hand. I'll let her know you're on your way."

Kyle thanked her emphatically, "Thanks for the save. Last thing I want is to further antagonise her."

When Michael got home from work, even he checked on Isabel, first. Kyle was crashed out on a recliner near her. Ava was sleeping in Isabel's room with Lex.

Michael sat beside her and said as helpfully as he could, "Third day, at least, right? So it's almost over?"

Isabel couldn't contain the tears of pain but she wasn't sobbing. She looked Michael in the eye and begged him, "You could make it stop sooner. Michael, please! I can't handle this anymore. It's what we're supposed to do, right?"

Michael declined firmly but with compassion, "No. It isn't Isabel. I'm sorry but I can't do what you're asking. I've made promises with Maria and I have to honour those. Have you asked Kyle?"

Isabel winced and fresh tears trickled from her eyes. She shook her head and recanted, "I shouldn't have even asked you. I'm sorry. It's just you have no idea how excruciating this is. I think I said something inappropriate to Kyle, earlier but he thankfully didn't take it to heart. I can't seriously ask him, either, not just because it's a huge deal but because I'm still technically Jesse's wife. Kyle would never and I'd never put him in that position where he's torn between his morals and our friendship. The very same reasons that I shouldn't have asked you. Can you forgive me?"

Michael squeezed her hand and asked, "For what? I don't know what you're talking about."

Isabel silently mouthed, "Thank-you."

Michael kissed her forehead and offered, "I'm about to head to bed, but if there's anything I can get for you before I do, tell me now."

Isabel tried to smile and she thumbed toward Kyle's passed out form as she explained, "I have a pact with him - I'm supposed to wake him up, if I need anything. I've been pretty hard on him today. I don't want to hurt his feelings by breaking our deal but thanks, anyway, Michael."

Michael reminded her again, "You're on the home stretch, right? There's a light at the end of this tunnel."

Isabel quipped bitterly, "It could be the tail lights of the train that keeps slamming into my insides."

Michael winced but corrected, "I don't think trains have tail lights. Cabooses, though, you're golden."

Isabel rolled her eyes and said, "Goodnight, Michael!"

Michael squeezed her hand, again and went to bed. To his surprise, mere seconds after their usual round three, Maria bounded out of bed and started getting dressed. Michael questioned her, "Maria, where are you going?"

Maria stammered and then blurted, "I'm umm, I'm gonna go pee and since I'm going up, anyway, I might as well take up our growing collections of dirty dishes and used condoms. I really hope we get to live someplace where we get an actual attached bathroom, someday. I'm so bloody done with having to get dressed, just to go pee in the middle of the night or too early in the morning or whatever! I won't be long, but miss me, anyway."

Michael grumbled, "Duh. Just hurry back. I'm tired but too wound up to fall asleep without you."

Maria smiled fondly at him and went upstairs.

TBC ...
I'm also a moderator at Roswell Ardor fan fiction forum.

keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Finding Something Better by Fidomom (AU,M/M,TEEN/ADULT) Ch1-8/? - 11/09/18

Postby keepsmiling7 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:08 pm

I love this story, and am thrilled to see more.
Michael and Maria will always be hot/cold or ying/yang. And no one will ever want to be close to their room during sexual activities.
It's so great to see Max and Liz as the married couple, finally.
Ava along adds to the dynamics of the trip. I always loved her in the original story........and agree with her that she is broken. Hope being with this gang they will help her heal.
And most surprising of all, Isabel with baby Alex and Jesse wants a divorce.
I'm wondering about those "breeding pains". Do they just effect the gals, what about Max and Michael?
Thanks for taking us along on this journey Fidomom.........we were cheated on the original show by not having this adventure.
Thanks, Carolyn

Return to “The Alien Abyss”