Lethal Whispers (ML, MATURE) 10/29/15 COMPLETE

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lethal Whispers (ML, some MM, MATURE), Ch 1+2, Feb 15th

Post by jake17 »

wow, I'm am in, totally hooked, can't wait to see what this all means.
great writing

Carrie :)

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

Hamlet, by William Shakespeare
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

Great parts! Wow! Can't wait to find out when Max and Liz meet and realize they did meet before! Hurryback!
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
Natalie36
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Natalie36 »

so good can't wait for more
Evans3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Evans3 »

wow!!! I remember reading this before back then, but hey, I am happy you are taking it up again and do it over. I am excited to read more of your!!

Looking forward!
Evans
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

Lethal Whispers - Chapter 3

Post by max and liz believer »

Carrie, Roswelllostcause, Natalie, and Evans3 - *muah* Thank you so much for reading and leaving feedback!!

CHAPTER 3
Maria

She’d had a crush on him when she was younger. He had been the boy that had showed up, seemingly out of nowhere, one day at school holding onto his sister’s hand. He’d had the same expression on his face as she had seen her mother have when she, Maria, had been close to falling off the roof to their old house when she was four. Anticipated fear.

There had been a lot of whispers around, whenever that boy entered the room. It lasted for exactly twelve days before the boy’s ability to blend in and make himself uninteresting killed the speculations and the hushed excitement. But his attempts at invisibility had only intrigued Maria DeLuca. As the child of hippie-oriented parents, with their minds on a free upbringing and all it entailed, Maria was ‘on the other side’ of the popularity border way before Max Evans entered her life. Children would look at her and giggle, pointing her out to their female friends, as if she was everyone’s inside joke. She didn’t particularly approve of it, but being unable to change she had learnt to ignore it.

She had one thing in common with the girls who were making fun of her multicolored hair and her large necklaces; she never succeeded in getting close to Max Evans. Because she really wanted to. It was not only about how she liked his dark expressive eyes or how protective he was of his sister, it was like an innate pull towards the boy. As if the tumor growing inside her head was on a suicidal mission to search out the one person that could annihilate it.

She didn’t know she had malignant cells rapidly dividing inside of her brain tissue at that time. The headaches would come first eleven months later. The introduction of the headaches appeared to eliminate her feelings of love for the boy. In its place grew an instinctual need to be in the vicinity of Max Evans. An instinctive need for survival.

Sometimes she wondered if he knew, all those years ago. As the headaches started to get really bad and her eyes would search him out in the crowd, his eyes would always meet hers as if he was already looking at her. He’d never told her if he knew that she was sick before she did. Before the doctors did. There were a lot of things he didn’t tell her.

Five days in the wake of her eight birthday her parents took her to the hospital to investigate her persistent and often painful headaches. She had started off her birthday with having a seizure, the first one. There would be more. The CT-scan revealed a mass in her brain and she was scheduled for surgery not long thereafter. A tumor the size of a plum was removed from her brain and sequential tissue analysis had given the diagnosis of a highly malignantly graded Glioblastoma multiforme. Maria had understood from how the doctor had wanted to speak with her parents privately that the diagnosis was not one to exhale and relax about. The invasive surgery was not the end to her sick days.

The incision on her head had barely healed before she was subjected to radiation therapy, followed by chemotherapy. She celebrated her ninth birthday without hair and about twenty pounds lighter, which had her looking like a walking skeleton. Her parents didn’t invite anyone to her ninth birthday (they were expecting it to be her last), but had baked a large cake (which Maria managed to keep down for a total of two minutes) and had given their daughter what she had mostly wished for - a telescope. Maria understood that they didn’t expect her to live for her tenth birthday.

Around the time that the tumor had regrown and started to eat its way into Maria’s frontal and temporal lobes, slightly changing her personality and affecting her speech, Max Evans came to knock on the door of the DeLuca’s.

“I don’t want you here,” was Maria’s first words when she saw the boy she’d had a crush on just two years prior standing in the doorway to her room.

There was a faint stubble on her head where long blonde hair, interspersed with bands of lime green and hot pink, had once been. The left side of her face was drooping slightly, making saliva sometimes drip from the left side of her mouth. She didn’t want anyone to see her like this. She could barely stand her parents seeing her like this. She might just be nine years, one month and two days old, but she was already a proud, self-conscious female being.

Max didn’t acknowledge Maria’s impolite greeting. “Hi, Maria.”

“Pleasd, leavd,” Maria slurred, stumbling on the words.

She turned her head away, attempting to look out the window. But her mother had previously pulled her pink curtains crammed with flowery pattern in front of the windows, blocking out the afternoon sun. Maria’s attempt at appearing stubborn and with a mind of her own become futile as she stared at the curtain.

“Can I come in?” Max asked politely, but Maria thought she heard a certain assertiveness to his voice. Max? Assertive? She almost smiled. It couldn’t be so.

She surrendered with a sigh. “Dure.”

She felt him take a seat on her right side, her good side, but didn’t turn to face him until he took her hand. “How are you feeling?”

She managed to shake her head and push a little sarcasm into her reply, “Amazing.” As she turned to look at him, she saw the hint of a smile on his lips. Her tumor added a sentence of its own, “The moon is freezing.”

Max frowned slightly, but Maria’s mother had informed him that Maria sometimes said things that didn’t make sense. These ‘word accidents’ seemed to be a symptom of the cancer.

“Have you come to mow the lawn?” Maria asked and smiled.

Max shook his head. According to the age his parents had given him upon his adoption, Max was merely nine years and seven months old, but had already discovered that some things were not ordinary about him. Just like some things were not right with Maria. The thing that lived inside her brain was now inside her mind, dictating her thoughts and feelings.

“Don’t come candy ulcer,” Maria added and then corrected herself, “Any closer.”

“I’m here to help you,” Max said evenly, shifting backwards on the wooden chair that was positioned next to her bed. The chair had been placed next to Maria’s bed by her father four months prior, but had not seen the behinds of many visitors. Maria’s pool of friends had been slim in her healthy years, it was basically non-existent in her time of illness.

If Maria’s mind hadn’t been occupied with the commands of her rapidly growing tumor cells, she might’ve noticed the slight nervous trembling of the hand Max was using to grip Maria’s.

“Okay,” Maria whispered and closed her eyes. She was so tired. A light tired laugh trickled across her bottom lip. It was as if Max’s hand was pushing fatigue into her. Ludicrous.

“Everyone that knows my secret has told me not to help you. That you’re meant to die.”

Maria’s normally inquisitive mind picked up on secret and die, but her mind was not her own anymore and she was too tired to ask. So tired.

His voice was anguished as he added in a hushed voice, “But I can’t just let you die.”

“Please, don’t,” Maria said and Max wasn’t sure if she meant that he shouldn’t help her or if he shouldn’t let her die. But he had already made his decision.
If one had asked Maria to account for what had happened thereafter, she wouldn’t have been able to. She had experienced the almost sedating touch of his hand move from her hand to the side of her head. Her bad side, the left side. There had been a tingling sensation just seconds before she had lost consciousness.

She had dreamt of water. She had never learnt to swim and the water surrounding her was thick and cold. She tried to push upwards, her lungs screaming for oxygen, but from the black bottom of the pool of water grew long prickling plants that spun around her ankles, forming knots while thorns pushed into her skin like needles. Her head felt heavy and it was starting to heat up, as if her head was on fire. She tried to scream, pushed and circled with her arms in the uncoordinated movements of an amateur swimmer, until suddenly the plants snapped and loosened their grip. Her arms were tired, but her survival instinct was strong and pushed her upwards, towards the bright glaring warming light above her. She felt the warmness of her blood from the wounds around her ankles flow across her feet and her toes as she floated upwards and the heat of the fire in her head cool to an ember. There was an ever increasing pressure on her chest and she gasped for the air that was non-existent. It felt like forever before she reached the surface and pulled air into her starving lungs…

Next she was looking into Max Evans’ eyes. They were tired, listless, worried, pained.

She blinked once. Twice. “Max? What are you doing here?”

Her head was light, the numbness on the side of her face seemed to have lessened. She tried smiling with the left corner of her mouth and it responded. Maybe the numbness was completely gone? She noticed the sweat on Max’s face, the awkward angle of his head, the rubbing of his hand across the back of his neck, but found those details hard to focus on when she was simultaneously noticing things with her own body.

“Are you okay?” Max croaked, his eyes blinking heavily.

“I think so,” Maria said hesitantly. Was she okay? Was she actually okay? What had happened? She flexed and un-flexed her hands, her left hand responding equally to her right. Her headache was gone, the ever-present nausea had evaporated. She was hungry. She licked her dry lips. Starving.

“Good,” Max breathed. “Good.”

Maria turned attentive, untainted, eyes towards her classmate. “Are you okay?”

He swallowed noticeably and nodded. “I will be.” Droplets of sweat was rolling down his forehead and he seemed to be in pain as he slowly got to his feet. “I should go.”

Maria expected him to faint as soon as he got to his feet, but Max managed to stay on unsteady feet while crossing the threshold to her bedroom.

The doctors had given her a maximum of three weeks left to live. Max Evans had given her years, with no set deadline.

TBC...
Last edited by max and liz believer on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Lethal Whispers (ML, some MM, MATURE), Ch 3, Feb 22nd

Post by Roswelllostcause »

Great part! Can't wait for more!
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Great Chapter!!!! Please please please please please please come back and post more really really really really soon? I can't wait to read what will happen next for Max and Liz. So Isabel feels like she knows and has a connect with Liz. I wonder if Isabel and Liz will know what it is. Oh cool Isabel is getting Max and Liz to meet. I wonder how that will go. I wonder if Max and Liz will remember each other.

L-J-L 76
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Sorry to have missed two parts! I started working again and my time is too short for all I want to do! :?

But I loved what I read and I am waiting for more! EVE :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
Evans3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Evans3 »

Wow! That's beautiful story of friendship between Maria and Max! I am glad to come back and check this story just in case if you post or not. Woot!!!

Looking forward to your next part!
Evans
HypnotiqBlueEyes
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by HypnotiqBlueEyes »

Just read the last 2 updates & I have to say, that I love this story so far! I can't wait to see what happens next! Please hurry hack with more soon! :mrgreen:

-Sarah-
Liz to Future Max: Don't you realize what you are to me... what you're always gonna be? You're the love of my life. Everyone else is gonna be second best. There will never be another you!!! (The End of the World)