Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie (AU M/L ADULT) COMPLETE 5/5/17 + A/N 5/5/19

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Unbreakable (AU M/L ADULT) Ch 50, 10/14/15, p. 45

Post by begonia9508 »

Wow! Max wants to tell his dad? :? :( :cry: :twisted: What in the hell will he do that?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

But maybe, he is right and it is not said that Liz had really had a nightmare about the alien but more a premonition and maybe, Philip will tell the real story about the gaeas... because nobody human contraddicted the aliens and asked for explanation... :twisted:

Thanks EVE :roll: :wink:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
AlysLuv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by AlysLuv »

Great update. I'm shocked by Max just as much as Liz lol. But I agree, it's time to come clean.
mela3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by mela3 »

Noooo! Why stop now? I need to know what happens to "brave" Max. And what about Liz being out all night?
I like lots of things, but there are three things I like most: love, love... and love

- La Dolce Vita
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

This is getting strange.........Liz having to convince herself that she is safe.....
And how weird was that.......the alarm going off when it was time for Max to go home?
I don't know what to think of Mr. Evans.......but I'm sure one day soon you'll let us know.
Thanks,
Carolyn
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

A bit of shorter feedback as I play nursemaid but still wanted to post some of my thoughts before they fell out of my head. :lol:

So given that the next chapter is going to have a confrontation between Philip and Max/Liz (at least to some degree) I've decided I must be a masochist because a small part of me was hoping it would magically be posted early. Of course I'd probably be begging for the next one chapter if it was posted already but that's just par for the course. :roll: :wink:

I think the dream was a premonition. And even if it wasn't a premonition it was basically highlighting Liz's fears of Sean and not Max. It started out with blue eyes and then changed into Max before being revealed as a pure-blood. Add the treatment of Liz in and you've got the trifecta for it being Sean. What surprises me is that neither Max nor Liz picked up on it. Liz was terrified and Max was hurt by the insecurity but you would think that the obvious signs would hit them on the heads - or at least one of them.

What threw me though was the phrase about there being sharks in the desert. Sean could be referencing the fact that other people (aliens) are dangerous and basically want to eat her alive. And the danger would come from where she least expected it (sharks in the desert, shapeshifting into Max) and when she least expected it (her bare feet indicating she hadn't been prepared to go out to the desert).

It does make you wonder just what Sean will do though - or attempt to do - given the strength of the bond between M/L. If it's truly unbreakable then anything he does is more out of spite and revenge than about gaining any actual power. Max has to know that Sean won't react positively (to put it mildly) so I'm wondering how he plans to protect her and keep her safe knowing that Sean can alter his appearance. Obviously there might be a way for aliens to differentiate each other from one another regardless of their chosen human forms but Liz (even with their strong bond) might not be able to do that. And even if she could how long would it take before she would learn who was who? :?

It'll be interesting to see how Max protects her or at least tries to.

Especially as he deals with not wanting to be an alien. I'm hoping that Max can at least come to a place where he appreciates it even if he doesn't ever learn to embrace it. It's the only thing that is going to keep Liz safe. If he were fully human he wouldn't have a chance at protecting her. Hopefully the bond between the two of them will allow him to become comfortable and confident with who he in instead of just putting on that facade. (Given, of course, that they can work through and realize that the dream was about Sean and not him.)

And I'm glad that Liz was able to comfort him (at least a little) even while she was so afraid. It sort of bites though that they dealt with Philip beforehand and Sean (to some degree) afterwards. But I don't think that'll too negatively shade their memories of bonding. :wink:

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how the scene goes between Max, Liz and Philip. I think it's highly intelligent of Max to talk to his father before the meeting. If Philip decides to (even begrudgingly) side with Max he can only do that if he knows the whole truth. And if he goes with his alien side (and loyalties) than at least Max would know before the meeting and hopefully be able to run with Liz while the majority of the leaders were distracted. But I don't think it'll come to that. I think Philip is a better political opponent than most of the other aliens on the council (or at least better than the Sgt) believes him to be. And if he's healed any of them before there's a very real likelihood that he knows enough about them to persuade them to come around to his side. Besides, the fact that he was looking for protocols the night before shows that he's looking for loopholes. Let's see what he found (or can find) to get his son and Liz out of this situation.

So... What shall I bribe you with so we don't have a really intense cliffhanger next chapter? :wink:

(See? I didn't even say no cliffhanger, just not a really intense one... :wink: )

Mezz - the feeling is mutual. :wink: I love getting to read what you post for feedback and the way you described the story (being so caught up in the lives of fictional people, etc.) is exactly what I think and how I feel but you put it into words beautifully! :D
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Post by L-J-L 76 »

So sorry for bothering you will you please please please please come back and post more really really really really soon? I can't wait to read what will happen next for Max and Liz. What will happen when Max and Liz walk into the house? Will Mr. Evans be pissed or happy? Will Max and Liz explain what is going on with them? Will Max and Liz be happy or upset with Mr. Evans? Will Mr. Evans be able to help Max and Liz? Will Mr. Evans try and break Max and Liz up? Will Mr. Evans try and break Max and Liz bond? Will Max take Liz home? Will Max and Liz keep seeing each other in secret? Will Max be able to keep Liz safe? Will Sean and his father find out about Max and Liz's bond? What will Sean and his father do to Liz and Max? Will Max and Liz leave town? Will Max and Liz go on the run? Will Max and Liz be safe anywhere? Will Max and Liz keep sleeping with each other? Will anyone find out about Max and Liz sleeping together? Will Max and Liz be safe? Where will Max and Liz go? Will Liz become pregnant? Will Max and Liz get married and have more kids? Will Max and Liz have a happy ending together? Will Isabel, Alex, Mr. Evans, Maria stand by Max and Liz and support them?

L-J-L 76
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

FIFTY-ONE

Post by max and liz believer »

Ashley (Morning Dreamgirl)
I think the dream was a premonition. And even if it wasn't a premonition it was basically highlighting Liz's fears of Sean and not Max. It started out with blue eyes and then changed into Max before being revealed as a pure-blood. Add the treatment of Liz in and you've got the trifecta for it being Sean. What surprises me is that neither Max nor Liz picked up on it. Liz was terrified and Max was hurt by the insecurity but you would think that the obvious signs would hit them on the heads - or at least one of them.
They probably both know - on some rational level - that the dream was more about Liz's fears of Sean (since they could both recognize Sean in Liz's dream) than any unrealistic fears of Max. Maybe the message of Sean being able to change his appearance - a piece of information that Max gave Liz "ages" ago and which her subconscious now had decided to bring to the surface - didn't quite get through to them because Liz was quite shaken by the dream and Max was side-blinded by his fears of having Liz see him as a monster. At the moment, they're (at least Liz) probably just seeing Sean changing into Max as a regular "dream-changing", in which people usually change into someone else as your mind skips from one part of a dream to the next.
Max has to know that Sean won't react positively (to put it mildly) so I'm wondering how he plans to protect her and keep her safe knowing that Sean can alter his appearance.
Hmm... Yeah... :?

I "like" (might not be the correct phrase here, but hopefully you'll get my drift :roll: ) how you calls upon Max's obvious hatred for his own origins. How he should just embrace what he can do because it might be the best way to actually keep Liz safe. But up until now - in Max's eyes at least - his origins have only brought the girl he loves misery and pain. It'll take time and a lot of convincing before he starts seeing himself being a part of an alien society as a good thing.

The talk between Max's father and Max and Liz is coming up...

Thank you so so so much for the feedback!

And...
A bit of shorter feedback...
I think your definition of "short" is a bit different from most people :lol: But I guess it was shorter than the lengths of your "usual" feedbacks. Either way, I love that your feedbacks are not short, even when you deem them short :wink:

L-J-L 76 - Thank you :D And thank you for the bump!

Helen (Roswelllostcause)
Why do I have a feeling that things are about to get so much worse for everyone?
I have no idea what gave you that impression... :roll: :shock: :oops:

Thank you for the feedback!

mezz
Actually, I said the story was just beginning because for me there's so much that needs telling and answering. I wrote it and then thought 'oh crap' what if she's going to tie the story up in like, 3 chapters and that's it. OH NO!! :lol: I hope you won't do that. Looking forward to the Part 2. May it be as long and enjoyable as Part 1 :mrgreen: (and then I'm sure parts 3 and 4 will be just as enjoyable after that :mrgreen: :lol: :twisted: )
:wink: I actually understood what you meant :wink: And there is a lot left to tell. Don't know if there'll be a third and fourth part though, but I'm deeply flattered that you hope for something like that. I can promise you; this story won't end in the next 3 chapters 8)
Ok. Didn't like the dream. I think it's a premonition. Sean would do that kind of thing, I'm sure. *mezzi doesn't like Sean* He's nasty.
No one likes Sean. Really :wink: The dream actually being a premonition? *shrugs innocently* Anything seems to be possible in this story, so why not?
ut I was thinking that, if Mr E hasn't cottoned on to what Max was doing at the house, he wouldn't be happy to be put in the position where he tries to negotiate at the meeting and then finds out. It would be disrespectful and belittling and would risk his standing on the committee. Mr E might be mad about the bond but at least Max shows he hasn't done it to give an FU to his father. If Max didn't tell him, all possibilities at a future father/son relationship would be over I think.
So very true. And even if Max hadn't respected his father enough to share this "problem" with him before the meeting, Max is smart enough to realize that he needs a powerful adult on his and Liz's side.
Of course, now that you've spoiled us with that 20 pager a couple of chapters ago, now all the chapters seem too short :roll:
That 20 pages-chapter wasn't the first or the last long one. I have one in the not too distant future that I had problems cutting up as well. It's not 20 pages, but..uhm... 12, I think. So if you enjoy the longer ones, that's something to look forward to, I guess :mrgreen:

Thank you so so so much for the feedback!

Eve (begonia9508)
Wow! Max wants to tell his dad? :? :( :cry: :twisted: What in the hell will he do that?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Max really sees no other way out if he intends to stay with Liz. He needs his father on his side. Max and Liz needs all the alien support they can get at this point.
...maybe, Philip will tell the real story about the gaeas... because nobody human contraddicted the aliens and asked for explanation... :twisted:
Maybe...

AlysLuv - It is time :D Thank you for the feedback!

mela3 - I don't believe that you've left feedback on this story before, so I'm gonna grab onto the opportunity to say "Welcome!" and thank you so much for leaving feedback :D Hopefully you might get some answers in the next chapter.

Carolyn (keepsmiling7)
And how weird was that.......the alarm going off when it was time for Max to go home?
Not too weird, actually :wink: Max had just set his alarm so that they would wake up (now they already happened to be awake when the alarm went off...) and be able to get back to Max's house and catch Mr. Evans before he left for work. Max has a plan :wink:

From FIFTY:

He looked at me closely before grabbing the fingers I had used to nervously clench onto his thigh and brought my hand to his mouth. Placing a kiss against my knuckles, he said simply, ”Because you belong with me. And I’m through with this charade. I need to tell my dad that.”

Holy crap.

I stared at him, searched his face for any signs that he wasn’t telling the truth, but I knew that he really meant it.

This was what he had been hiding from me. I felt for that blockage in his mind, but it was gone. He hadn’t wanted me to know, not wanted me to worry beforehand, or think about anything else than our time together, when we had been in Hondo. He hadn’t wanted me to know that he had planned this for the last couple of hours.

That he was setting himself up to risk everything to get permission to be with me.

There was so many feelings running through me that I was starting to feel faint. I was unspeakably happy about him intending to stand up for us and that he had no further interest in hiding what we were going through. But at the same time I was terrified of how his father would react; if he would still force us apart and throw me directly to Sean, if he would erase our minds and hence steal our memories, or if our confession would not only get us punished but also killed.

”There’s only one way to find out,” Max mumbled grimly as he pulled back and slowly stepped out of the car.

Leaving me with my heart thumping out of my chest, my breathing severely compromised, and my arms tightly folded around my waist.

”Oh my God,” Isabel gasped as she met us in the door.

Max was holding tightly onto my hand and I was trying to get my shaking legs under control. Isabel’s widening eyes and frozen reaction to our presence wasn’t really doing anything to calm my nerves.

”Hey,” Max greeted quietly, apparently deciding to not dwell any further into Isabel’s reaction.

Isabel put her hand on Max’s arm, stopping him. ”What did you do?”

I felt the heat rush to Max’s face and his fingers tightened around mine. ”You know what-”

Isabel rolled her eyes. I noted that she wasn’t wearing any make-up and her hair was an unorganized collection of strands. She was wearing cotton pajamas with cupcake print.

”I know what you’ve done,” she said, slightly annoyed. ”But there’s…” She put her head to the side and let her eyes drift across our bodies. She tapped her long finger against her mouth in contemplation. ”There’s something else…”

”Is dad up?” Max interrupted and my eyes flickered to his profile as I was brutally brought back to our reality.

The reality in which we had to face Max’s father and lay our relationship out in front of him.

Isabel’s face paled. ”You’re really doing this?”

”Is he in the kitchen?” Max asked, his voice filled with the tension that was thrumming through his body.

Isabel nodded and added weakly, ”Yeah…”

Max squeezed my hand and then we were walking. Towards the kitchen.

”Max,” Mr. Evans voiced from the kitchen as we got closer to the entrance. ”I thought I heard your voice.”

Under Max’s guidance, we rounded the vaulted doorless doorframe and stepped into the impressive kitchen. Mr. Evans was over by the coffee machine, his back towards us. He was dressed in beige stylish trousers and a white shirt.

”You were supposed to come ho-” I froze along with him as he turned around and noticed me standing next to his son.

He frowned for a second, before his face bloomed in barely convincing surprised joy. ”Oh, Ms. Parker. I wasn’t expecting you.” He glanced at the clock on the wall and I felt the temperature in the room drop a couple of degrees as his voice turned even happier. ”Especially not at 6.03 a.m.”

”We need to talk,” Max declared and I was impressed by the strength and calmness of his voice.

I watched Mr. Evans slowly look to Max and my interlocked hands, his face unreadable, before he gestured towards the kitchen table. ”Take a seat.”

Max lead me by the hand and pulled out a chair for me. I sat down slowly, keeping my eyes on Mr. Evans as he approached the opposite side of the table. As soon as Max sat down next to me, he released our hands, grabbed the sides of my chair, let it scrape against the floor as pulled me up so close to his that the chairs bumped together.

I looked at him in surprise at his obvious display of possessiveness, but his face was almost as unreadable as his father’s when he glanced at me before grabbing my hand again.

I refocused my attention on Max’s father, wondering how I was supposed to hear anything of this discussion over the roaring sound of my blood in my ears.

”We need your help,” Max said evenly and Mr. Evans narrowed his eyes slightly while leaning back against the backrest.

I watched him cross his arms across his chest and his voice was no longer shrouded in feigned happiness. It was as cold as the air around him. ”What have you done, Max?”

”Liz and I are bonded,” Max said, his voice still not bearing any signs of the rattling worry that I was receiving through that aforementioned bond.

Mr. Evans showed no expressions on his face. ”I know this, Max. I discovered as much when I was trying to search through her mind, remember?”

Max tensed next to me and I watched the memory from that day in the study drift through Max’s mind. I wasn’t sure if Max had believed that he had managed to fool his father that the bond had been broken since then, but the fact that Mr. Evans seemed so confident in his knowledge of our connection told me that Mr. Evans knew just how hard it was to break a connection.

Which was possibly why Max’s father hadn’t told Max to break our bond that day in the study; only that he should remove my memories.

It also didn’t seem to surprise Mr. Evans that my memories obviously were intact. Despite the fact that Max was supposed to have erased my memories and seeing that Max was practically announcing our relationship by using very alien-related terms.

”It’s more than that,” Max continued, a faint tremble of insecurity to his voice. ”We’re deeply bonded.” He said it with emphasis accompanied by a pointed look at his father and I got the feeling that there was an unspoken dialogue there. Maybe something that had been said before, discussed between Max and his father.

I bit my lip in contemplation. Maybe Max and Isabel had heard of a ’double bonding’ from their father. Of all people - since he was a healer too - he should know about it. Right?

Mr. Evans interrupted my speculations with a calm, ”That’s obvious.”

How? I wondered quietly, but refrained from looking at Max.

”And we are going to stay bonded,” Max continued resolutely.

Mr. Evans evenly scrutinized his son’s face. ”You are, are you?”

”Yes,” Max said with no room for objections. ”And you’re going to help us do that.”

There was a beat. Evans Senior stared at Evans Junior and the room was building up with suffocating tension.

Then Mr. Evans looked at me. I froze under his cold stare. ”What have my son been telling you, Liz? Has he promised you a ’happily ever after’? Dazzled you with his alien powers? Or was it the sex that won you over?”

Max’s hand tightened painfully around mine and hot anger exploded through our connection, infusing us both with the emotion.

”Don’t talk to her like that,” Max threatened in a hiss.

Mr. Evans ignored his son’s threat and continued staring at me, smirking. ”Because I know how great it can be with a connection. Trust me.”

”You don’t know anything,” I whispered in anger. Max was tense beside me and I half expected him to spring off his chair and lunge at his father at any time.

”Oh, little girl,” Mr. Evans continued, the smirk remaining on his face. ”I know a lot. And I know a lot about you.” He gave me a pointed look before arching an eyebrow at Max. ”Has Max let you in on everything he has done to you over the years - without you being allowed to keep the memories?”

I ignored the brush of insecure guilt from Max’s side and snapped, ”You mean comforting me? Healing me?”

Mr. Evans just stared at me, his face blank, before the right side of his mouth twitched every so slightly. ”Right.”

I couldn’t help but look at Max. Because even though I had told myself to never trust any words that came out of Philip Evans’ mouth, I couldn’t help but be rattled by the hinted meaning in his sentences. Only because I knew that I definitely didn’t know everything that had happened during my upbringing.

I did, however, know more now than I had just a couple of hours ago. The strengthening of our bond had made me glimpse memories that were supposed to have been erased a long time ago.

Max shook his head imperceptibly and told me through the connection, He’s trying to throw you off.

Right. And he had succeeded.

Believe in us. His plead was almost desperate, afraid of losing me.

I squeezed his fingers. Of course I do, silly. He won’t be able to change that.

He relaxed against my thoughts and I felt his confidence build as he straightened in the chair and stared at his father.

”You can’t separate us,” Max said. ”You’d have to kill us to do that.”

I blanched, for a second worried that Max was giving his father ideas. But rationally, of course, I knew that the idea was already present; a very real and threatening presence lurking in the shadows, waiting to pounce.

I had a feeling that Max was being rather literal about it. The only way to break the bond at this point would probably be to kill one of us.

”Yes,” Mr. Evans agreed slowly, leaning forward in his seat with equal slowness. ”I know, son.” He sighed and to my surprise I watched his face soften as he looked at his son. Something akin to resignation came over him and it was like watching the air go out of a small hole in a balloon. ”That’s what I was trying to prevent.”

Max seemed momentarily confused, just like me, by the change that came over his father, but pushed on.

”It’s done,” Max said resolutely. ”Liz and I are together. Forever.”

Forever. In the midst of the fear that was practically immobilizing me, deep genuine happiness flowed through me.

”And what are you supposed to do now?” Mr. Evans asked, a trace of annoyance in his voice. I was perplexed by the fact that I was starting to see more and more of an emotional span on Mr. Evans’ face.

His facade was cracking.

Max hesitated and I could feel his confusion about what to answer. ”We have to make the rest of the community see that. They have to let her go. The military, Sarge, Sean - they’d have to let her go.”

Mr. Evans’ gaze was hard-set. ”And you want me to-” He raised his eyebrow with incredulity, ”-vouch for you?”

Max took a deep breath. ”I need you to help me, Dad.” There was a vulnerability in his request that tugged sharply at my heart strings, and to my relief I could see that it had made some impact on the elder Evans as well.

”She’s part of me,” Max continued, his heart visibly bleeding on his sleeve. ”I can’t let her go. I never could. I really tried. I really tried to not put you in this position, Dad, but I can’t do it anymore.” He looked at me and my heart hurt at the rawness in his eyes. ”I can’t just stand by and watch her get hurt. I can’t.”

There was a pause of silence which I barely noticed as I was bathing in the love displayed in Max’s eyes, before Mr. Evans said quietly, ”I’m highly aware of that, Max.”

Both of us snapped our heads towards Mr. Evans in surprise. I don’t know which one of us was more shocked about the look of genuine concern on Philip Evans’ face.

”I was afraid it would lead to this,” Mr. Evans continued. ”Ever since you two met for the first time. How easily you connected, almost immediately.”

I blanched as our minds filled with the images of the vision we had shared as our bodies had reached their peaks the night before.

So it had been real. We had connected as young.

”We met when we were little,” Max said slowly, fishing for more information.

Mr. Evans barely looked surprised as Max hinted towards knowing more about that incident than he was supposed to. ”You were five. Nancy-” Mr. Evans looked at me with honest sadness in his eyes, ”-your mother - had been taken when you were with her. That normally didn’t happen, but it was an emergency. You saw a lot that day. Things a child shouldn’t see. Certainly not a human child.”

I shivered, but he continued. ”So we needed to remove your memories.” He sighed. ”But Nancy wouldn’t let us. Even though I tried to inform her that you might be irreparably damaged by those memories, she wouldn’t let us use our abilities on you.”

I bit my lip at the memory of my mother. My voice was weak and bearing unmistakable emotional strain as I whispered, ”What happened?”

”You tried to escape,” Mr. Evans said slowly and looked at his son. ”Then Max showed up.” He shook his head tiredly. ”Max had terrible timing as a kid.”

Or very good timing, I thought. It had lead to us connecting. Would Max still have been interested in me (Interested in protecting me? Protecting me against Sean?) if that hadn’t happened? Without Max’s ’bad timing’ I might have been open season for Sean right now.

Mr. Evans was searching my face and I had an uncomfortable feeling that he was seeing straight through me. Just like his son had an uncanny ability to do. Even without a connection.

”We had to assume that there was a connection formed between you when you touched, because you both passed out-”

”Why can’t I remember that, Dad?” Max asked.

Mr. Evans looked at his son. ”We searched your minds and found the connection. Because Liz is human we could turn the connection off fairly simply. But you…” he shook his head, ”You were more difficult. We could see it there, we could feel it, but we couldn’t remove it.”

”How is it possible to turn a connection off on one side while it remains active on the other?” I asked, confused. Didn’t the connection automatically break both ways when one side lost it?

I could feel Max’s interest in that same question flare in my mind as Mr. Evans replied, with none of his usual confidence, ”It’s not. I think that’s where things went wrong. Sarge was certain that he had removed the connection from your mind, Liz, but since Max’s was still there - theoretically there should’ve been at least a trace of it left in your mind. But it could not be detected.”

”And you didn’t find this odd?” Max asked, frowning.

”We had never dealt with anything like that before. Instantaneous involuntary connections don’t happen every day. Especially not between children.” Mr. Evans sighed. ”We were in new territory.”

Great. My life was built on rarity. I carried a rare gene, I had fallen in love with a healer (healing being a rare ability), I had just been part of creating something that might be a double-bond with that said alien (which was…rare) and apparently I had also engaged in a rare act of bonding as a child.

”So my connection was removed on the spot?” I asked slowly, and added, ”Or at least that’s what you believed.”

Mr. Evans gave a slow nod, his face impassive.

”But you couldn’t remove the connection on Max’s side..?” I frowned. ”So…you left it there? He’s been connected to me all this time?”

The idea of that didn’t necessarily scare me, but it didn’t bring me any joy, either. Actually, I was very confused about how to feel about the whole situation.

Max interrupted my contradictory thoughts with a flat statement. ”You sent me to Sarah.”

I frowned. Sarah? The image of a beautiful brunette with a warm smile floated through my head.

”Yes,” Mr. Evans nodded.

”Why Isabel?” Max questioned.

”She came along to drop you off, but she wouldn’t get in the car with us if you were being left behind. She was throwing up a real fit and you were no better, son. We figured that we would let you be together, even though it hurt your mother to leave both of you behind.”

This was the reason why Max and Isabel had moved from Roswell when Max had been five and hadn’t returned until Max had turned six. Max had been hauled off to some place for…rehabilitation (?) and Isabel had followed.

”What happened there?” I asked with a fearful breath. ”Where did you leave them?”

Mr. Evans looked at me and slowly shook his head. ”I might as well tell you, since you’re either going to be a large part of Max’s life or you’re going to be dead.”

I shivered at the dispassionate statement, but I knew that he was right. There was no turning back now. We were going public.

”It’s arranged by our military. A place for re-education. Re-programming of our own kind. It’s used to remove unwanted experiences, but also to treat agitators and get them back in line. Our best mind-wipers work there and in conjunction with certain other methods, they achieve excellent results.” He sighed. ”Max was the youngest one to ever be admitted. And he stayed there for about 11 months before they were completely certain that the connection had been removed.”

I was stunned. 11 months?! It had taken the best mind-wipers (in Mr. Evans’ own words) 11 months to erase the connection in a young boy’s mind.

I huffed before I could stop myself. ”And still you have most likely pushed for Max to remove his connection to me, even though it was so difficult the first time?”

I was, again, thinking back to that day in the study, when Max had pretended to remove my memories.

Mr. Evans narrowed his eyes at my implication of obvious stupidity, but clarified evenly, ”I was hoping that Max would fall back on everything he had learnt, on his upbringing and his - previous - loyalty to our laws and voluntarily break the connection. Because the people at the institute believed that Max himself was the only one that would be able to turn off the connection. He had to do it himself.”

”I would never do that,” Max said, his voice certain and unwavering.

”Yes,” Mr. Evans said slowly. ”I can see that now.”

”Who’s Sarah?” I asked, the friendly face still in my head.

Mr. Evans narrowed his eyes in disapproval. ”Have you told her anything about Sarah?”

Max shook his head and when I looked at his profile I saw the hint of defiant triumph on his face. ”No. But my mind just did.”

Mr. Evans’ confidence faltered as he flickered his eyes between the young couple in front of him. ”You’re sharing thoughts.”

”I told you that we were bonded in every way possible,” Max said simply, but his surprise at his father’s reaction was seeping through.

I frowned at Max’s mild surprise. Wasn’t it common of a bonded couple to share thoughts…?

Mr. Evans ignored him. ”Even when you’re not concentrating?”

”I need to touch her,” Max answered, pulling back his triumph, softening with honesty. ”But yeah.”

”Right,” Mr. Evans nodded slowly and inhaled before turning his - much softer than before - eyes on me. ”Sarah was Max’s caregiver when he was at the institution. She was human, the wife of a hybrid military man working at the site. She was hired just to tend to Max, because they realized that he needed a maternal figure - considering that he was so young. They didn’t want to jeopardize the mental health of a healer.”

”Of course,” I bit out bitterly. Strategy. It was all strategy. For a second there, I had almost hoped that there was a hint of something more to their society. Something that cared enough to think of providing comfort for a young boy separated from his family. But of course there had to have been an agenda.

”I would bet Max will tell you that she meant a lot to him,” Mr. Evans said slowly and I thought I detected jealousy in his voice while I felt the warm fuzzy feelings Max’s memory of the brunette named Sarah heating at the front of our connection.

Mr. Evans was obviously right about suspecting that Sarah had played a large part of Max’s life. And it kinda pleased me that he was slightly upset that another person - a parental figure - had meant so much to his son.

Just as suddenly, the doctor’s face hardened and he stated, ”The military is not just going to let this slide. You know that as well as I do, son.”

I tensed and Max mimicked that act.

”That’s why I need your help,” Max insisted.

Wanting Mr. Evans to hear me, I decided to speak to Max openly instead of secretly in our minds, ”Can we trust him?” referring to Mr. Evans.

Max looked at me briefly before looking at his father and provoking, ”I don’t know. Can we, Dad?”

”Don’t be coy,” Mr. Evans warned.

”What says you’re not just gonna turn us in?” I demanded, surprised at my own bravery.

Anger flushed in Mr. Evans’ eyes and I momentarily considered Max’s statement that pure aliens didn’t have emotions. How much of that was true? Or was it a truth with modification?

I thought I had seen evidence of genuine emotions on Mr. Evans’ face just counting the present conversation.

”I understand that I have not given you the best impression, Ms. Parker,” Mr. Evans enunciated. ”But I do care for my son. If I hadn’t, you two would have been separated a long time ago and my own son would probably be dead.”

Max’s hand trembled in mine and I gulped. ”What do you mean?”

”Max’s status as a healer will only bring him so far. In the end, everyone’s expendable.”

And I suddenly realized, partly from what Max was accidentally thinking of at his father’s statement, that Mr. Evans had already saved his son on several occasions.

When I had thought - assumed - that Mr. Evans had been part of handing out punishments to his son, cheering the Sergeant on in his monstrous methods, Max’s father had tried to avert crisis after crisis. Softening blows. Reducing punishments. Keeping secrets.

My mouth fell open and I looked at Max. Why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t you tell me that your father was on your side?

Max met my eyes and said softly, ”It would have been too dangerous for you to have that information, considering Sean’s proximity to you. Plus-,” Max grimaced sheepishly, ”-you probably wouldn’t have believed me anyway, since you were convinced that he was a spawn of Satan.”

Mr. Evans scoffed at Max’s statement and while I normally would have glared at him, I couldn’t anymore. Instead, I turned to him and said, honestly, ”Thank you.”

I couldn’t tell which of the men was more shocked by my display of gratitude as they stared at me.

Then Mr. Evans said simply. ”Like I said, Ms. Parker. He’s my flesh and blood. I don’t want him hurt and I really don’t want him dead.”

I was actually feeling a bit guilty when I nodded. ”Yeah.”

”And the best way to keep him safe is to remove you from the equation,” Mr. Evans said, causing Max to instantly release my hand and bring his arm around my shoulders, angling my body into his side.

I hadn’t fully interpreted the underlying threat before Max reacted.

Mr. Evans shook his head in mild amusement. ”Relax, Max. I’m just stating a fact.”

There was a loaded pause before Max did just that. He released some of the pressure against my shoulders, but let his arm remain in place.

”Right,” Max agreed with a reluctant grumble.

”It will be dangerous,” Mr. Evans mused, ”But the best thing is probably for you two to make an appearance at the scheduled meeting tonight. It’s important that they see you together, so that they can evaluate the bond.”

Max paled and I put my hand on his thigh, needing to feel closer to him.

”Yes,” Max agreed. ”Of course.”

”There is the possibility that they’ll realize that the bond cannot be broken and see through their fingers about you having bonded with a gaea.”

Max nodded slowly, trepidation heating his body.

”Son,” Mr. Evans requested. ”Are you sure about this?”

Sean’s face flashed in our minds and I wasn’t really sure who of us was the creator of that instinctive image.

”Yes,” we answered in unison and watched Mr. Evans turn grim.

”I was afraid of that,” he said. ”I can’t promise you that this will turn out okay. I’ll try everything in my power to sort this out, but…”

”Thanks, Dad,” Max said, gratefully heartfelt.

Mr. Evans nodded, looking a bit uncomfortable. I myself was a bit uncomfortable with the unusual span of emotions I had witnessed on Philip Evans face this morning. Emotions I hadn’t thought he possessed.

With a rise from the chair, Mr. Evans became more recognizable as he announced lightly and almost cheerfully, ”Let’s have some breakfast. You must be starving!”

TBC..
Last edited by max and liz believer on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Unbreakable (AU M/L ADULT) Ch 51, 10/19/15, p. 46

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

Can you believe I didn't realize you posted within five minutes of you doing so? I'm off my game today apparently. :wink:
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by max and liz believer »

Morning Dreamgirl wrote:Can you believe I didn't realize you posted within five minutes of you doing so? I'm off my game today apparently. :wink:
But I'm off my posting schedule... Which might've contributed to you not noticing my post for five whole minutes :mrgreen: :roll:
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

Well that went a little better than expected. But the big thing now is this meeting. Hopefully it will go OK and not bring harm to our very lovely couple. As for Sean and the Sarge they can be the first ones to take a nice trip into the sun for all I care!

Still trying to get that spaceship off the ground!

Helen
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639