Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie (AU M/L ADULT) COMPLETE 5/5/17 + A/N 5/5/19

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

mezz
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Unbreakable (AU M/L ADULT) Ch 58, 1/18/16, p. 52

Post by mezz »

Ooooo Lookie at all them chapters what've been put up. :shock: Mezzi will have to begin reading them :)
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

mezz wrote:Ooooo Lookie at all them chapters what've been put up. :shock: Mezzi will have to begin reading them :)
Jo's spoiling us. :wink:

I'm quite happy about being spoiled. :D
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

So glad this is back, but I am so worried about the situation with Sean.
Thanks,
Carolyn
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

FIFTY-NINE

Post by max and liz believer »

Helen (Roswelllostcause) - Diane is a very caring woman :) We're all hoping for a smooth meeting here, I guess... :roll: Thank you for the feedback!

Natalie36 - Thank you :D

L-J-L 76 - Max and Liz's bond truly is special. On many levels :D And Diane is a really great person. What's going to happen at the meeting? Well, we'll see soon enough. Thank you for the feedback!

Ashley (Morning Dreamgirl)
It's amazing how well you write these characters. On one hand Liz doesn't take bull from anyone and on the other she easily blushes like the young woman she is. And it just feels right. A lot of time it feels awkward when someone tries to write characters like that but you've done brilliantly with her.
:oops: :oops: :oops: It makes me ridiculously happy that you seem to be able to picture my story so well; taking in their reactions… And thank you for what you said about writing Liz’s embarrassment without making it feel awkward. That means a lot.
As someone who's supposed to be a doctor one day though you'd think he'd realize that her eating a lot of food after not eating for awhile isn't the best way of her actually keeping food down.
Max probably knows very well that he shouldn’t feed someone that hasn’t eaten too much the last couple of days with enormous amounts of food. But it’s like the veterinarian (me :wink: ) who completely freaks out when her own animals are sick and forget everything she’s ever learnt about medicine and rationality :wink: That’s Max, when it comes to Liz.
Ugh! And just when I thought Sean couldn't get any more vile he does! Poor Isabel! I can't imagine having someone like that interested in you. I'm sure she's used to all sorts of people wanting her but Sean's just a particular kind of yuck. *shudders*
Sean is… special :wink: And not in the best way. Couple that with him being a bit insecure and spoiled (in that he has been given a position within the military thanks to his father and not by him just working his ass off to get there), you create a rather power-hungry individual.

Isabel has all the ”regular” powers that the rest of the aliens have. So she can blast someone if she needs to. Plus, powers (in general) are not stronger if you’re a full blood. It is more dependent upon how much you’ve practiced your abilities rather than your genetic set-up. Maybe Isabel has been just as diligent (as it appears) as Max in practicing her regular powers (since her special power is not really an ability that you can ”practice”).
I'm pretty sure that the only way these two aren't married by now is in the traditional way. All they're basically missing is someone signing a piece of paper for them showing that it's all legal in the eyes of the law. :wink: Hmmm... So how do aliens get married? They obviously abide by the human ways but on their home planet how did it work? I'm wondering because if most bonds can be broken by sleeping with someone else it seems like there would be a more legally binding way of tying two people together. I'm interested in whether that practice (whatever it may be) came with them to earth (it would make sense if it did) and whether it would be something M/L could do if they get a reprieve from the council in order to keep the two of them "safer" legally. At least in regard to alien law.
I love how you’re already viewing Max and Liz as married. Because it’s really not about signing that piece of paper, is it? Marriage is so much more. And Liz and Max are already bonded in a way that transcends any human (or maybe even alien) ”bonds”. All we know about aliens in marriage (up until this point) is that they marry according to human ways, to appear human and not stand out. If there is an alien corresponding alternative to this…? Who knows? Me, I guess :roll: but yeah.

Remember how Max was telling Liz that aliens needed bonds to be able to connect to another individual in anything similar to the human concept of ”love”? We don’t really know yet just how strong those bonds are. If they are just like human relationships - that you can still fall out of love, cheat, break up. Because then they probably would need something more to verify that they are ”married”. If being bonded is enough, a marital constitution is most likely not needed.

We don’t know how likely/common it is for bonds to be broken - through changing sexual partners. Max just told Liz that it can be broken that way. But maybe bonds usually bind aliens together strongly enough that they won’t cheat on their partner. At least, that seems to be the case for Max and Liz, but then their bond doesn’t appear to be ”regular”.
What's interesting to me is how the council would even manage to separate the two of them. They seem so powerful without even trying that I can't imagine they would just allow one or both of themselves to be killed.
How would the council separate Max and Liz? They probably haven’t seen it as a problem yet. Because they don’t really understand what Max and Liz share. A bond can always be broken, right? In their world it can. Even when a bond might be extra stubborn (like when Max was holding onto Liz when they were little), they will eventually break. So to the council, not breaking the bond is not an alternative because they probably never encountered that ”problem” before.
Lastly, if Max and Liz are able to cause such a reaction without trying and without tapping into any specific ability just how strong could they become? The bond seems to still be developing.
Max and Liz’s bond is still developing. It demands a lot from a human body, so it can’t explode in strength all at once. It’ll probably be very dangerous for Liz. And not even 24 hours has passed since they took their connection to another level and experienced the glow. And yes, Max and Liz’s bond might very well be seen as a threat. So the aliens have to decide (if they are not able to break the bond) if they want to try and use that bond or annihilate it (i.e. kill Max and/or Liz). How valuable is exactly Max (as a healer) and Liz (as a gaea) to their society? Are they really worth the pain of dealing with their bond and the possibly threat of their connection?

Thank you, darling :D xx

Eve (begonia9508)
Is it possible that Diane also has power and maybe feels that something bad will happen?
I'll let you in on a secret :roll: Diane's power is maternal instinct :wink: Plus, she has seen one or two things during her relationship with Philip, so she has enough information to be a bit worried about this meeting...

You're very wise to consider that no one knows if Liz will be able to "do" anything at the meeting. If she'll actually be able to demonstrate any powers if she were to be threatened. Hmm... let's wait and see :wink:

Thank you so much for the feedback!

mezz - Jo thinks mezzi has some reading to do :roll: :mrgreen:

Carolyn (keepsmiling7) - I think we're all a bit worried about this whole Sean-situation. Thank you so much! It's good to be back and have you back with me :D :D

From FIFTY-EIGHT:

"Take care of my son," Diane requested and pulled back, leaning forward to press a kiss to my cheek.

I swallowed the tears back and nodded.

Isabel stepped in between and gave her mother a tight hug. But her voice was light, once again easing the tension. "Don't wait up."

Diane gave her a guilty smile as Isabel pulled back. Isabel smiled at her mother and added, "Love you."

"Love you too, baby girl," Diane replied. "Be careful."

Isabel's face bloomed in confidence. "I always am."

"Okay," Mr. Evans interrupted, authority and calmness in his voice. "It's time to go."

Max moved his arm down the inside of mine, tightly aligning our arms together before he interlaced our fingers. He pulled me up into his side and, walking closely together, we walked through the house towards the front door.

As we exited the house, I made the mistake of looking back. Max's mother was standing in the open doorway, the contours of her body silhouetted against the warm light of the inside of the house, and her whole body was shaking. Shaking so terribly that I could see it even from several feet away. Shaking from the tears of a last goodbye.

I ripped my eyes forward and felt the cold spread through my whole body.

My eyes sprung open as the car came to a stop and I had time to glimpse the last seconds of Max's refuge of sleep before he too blinked his eyes open. I was certain that the expression of acute trepidation and confusion in his eyes before he blinked himself back into awareness echoed the expression on my own face as I pushed myself out of my curled up position next to Max in the backseat.

"Did you sleep?" I asked, my mouth dry and the start of a headache hammering at the front of my skull.

My body was protesting against my lack of sleep by pounding my heart against my ribs, already trying to pull me back down into the dreamless state of exhaustion.

He inhaled deeply, his eyes flickering to the front of the car and next did a survey of our surroundings before turning his attention on me. His arm was still around my shoulders, where he had placed it just minutes before the monotone drone of the car had tempted me into sleep, and he used it now to press my side into his in something of a sideway hug.

I could see my own exhaustion reflected on his face as he nodded slowly before yawning. He was just about to answer me, when a voice from the front seat interrupted us.

"Listen up."

I took a deep breath, shook my head slightly to try and clear it, and met the eyes of Mr. Evans as he looked at us over his right shoulder, between the front seats.

I didn't want to look around us, didn't want to take in our surroundings. I knew that we were parked outside of the house in Hondo, where Max and I had created some of our most beautiful memories. But right now, those memories were very far from my mind. Right now, this house only symbolized white blinding terror.

My accelerated heart rate - from having been woken up from a state of deep sleep - was still going strong, now fueled by fear and nervousness.

Max's fingers were digging into my shoulder as his father continued, "They don't know that you're here, so I'll go inside and break it to them easily. Prepare them." He looked to his daughter next to him in the passenger seat. "Isabel will come with me and she'll return for you when it's time."

Isabel's eyes connected with mine and a slow tentative and encouraging half-smile spread across her lips. I tried my best to return the smile, to signal my gratitude about her trying to comfort me, but I had a feeling that I was failing the task horribly.

"Okay," Max confirmed. His strong and confident voice had me looking at him. Had my eyes trace the profile of his strong jaw, his straight nose, and the softness of his full hair. I could even see the beautiful length of his eyelashes silhouetting against the dim light from the lamp outside of the front door to the house.

There was the hint to a soft smile as he glanced at me, before adding, "We'll wait right here."

The pause that followed had me look forward to Mr. Evans again, finding him looking at his son with a combination of sad contemplation and wistfulness, before he said, "See you in there."

And even though the words were far away from the typical declaration of love, the tone of his voice said it all. Max's father was letting his son know just how much this was frightening him, just how much he loved his son, just how much he wanted to protect him.

"Yeah," Max whispered, the break in his voice revealing that Max had gotten the message too.

I was listening to the thumping of my heart against the inside of my ribcage while Mr. Evans and Isabel stepped out of the car. With the simultaneous closing of both front doors, Max and I were left alone.

And with Mr. Evans' face recently having shown an unknown range of compassion, I reached for my small handbag and retrieved my phone. I hadn't looked at it for almost 24 hours. I had been otherwise occupied.

Now, when I pressed the home button, the phone greeted me with blackness. It was dead.

I barely had time to open my mouth to speak, before Max put his own phone on top of mine in my hands with a quiet, "Use mine."

I looked up at him, noticed recognition and awareness of my thoughts in his intense eyes. I had - again - forgotten that he could read my thoughts.

"I just need to talk to him," I started to explain, but was interrupted by Max leaning forward and pressing his lips to my forehead.

"Of course," he whispered, while pulling back.

Before it's too late, my dark thoughts whispered.

"What's the cover story?" I asked, avoiding to look at him, knowing that facing the love and concern displayed on his face right now might make me break down.

Max's response was immediate and simply delivered. "You spent last night at a friend's place, studying. Since it was so late by the time you were finished, you decided to stay over at Alex's, because it was closer to his house than to yours. When you woke up this morning, you had a fever and you decided to skip school. You've been trying to study even with your fever and Alex's family has been looking after you since they got home from work. We haven't leaked any rumors about any possible nightly plans - to cover for the meeting, so that's up to you."

I nodded my understanding before pressing the numbers to my father's cell phone into Max's keypad. My dad had had the same number for as long as he'd owned a cell phone, which was probably the only reason why I knew his number by heart. My mom and dad's numbers were the only ones I had ever been able to memorize.

Max didn't question or object when I scooted slightly away from him while pressing the ringing phone to my ear and waiting for my father to pick up.

My connection to my father was private. Even too private to share with Max.

My hand tightened around Max's phone with every unanswered tone and my heart dropped as his answering machine kicked in.

"Hi. You've reached the phone of Jeffrey Parker. I'm unable to take your call right now, but please leave a message or try again later."

My eyes had drifted close as I had focused on his voice and my own voice was thick with emotions as I started leaving him a message. "Hi, Dad. It's me." A breath trembled in my chest before I continued, "I'm just letting you know that I might not be home tonight either. I'm still not feeling very well and, to be honest, Alex's parents are spoiling me with home cooked chicken soup and Netflix. And I'm still trying to study for that stupid exam. It's killing-" my voice tripped and I swallowed and cleared my throat before continuing, "-ki-killing me. Sorry for not calling you today. I don't know if you've been trying to reach me; my phone is dead. Alex doesn't have a charger for my phone." I realized that I was rambling, my nervousness finally finding an outlet. "He has one of those androids, you know. But you can call Alex's phone-," I paused slightly, glancing at Max who was nodding his affirmation to my suggestion, "-if you need to leave me a message. Don't worry; Alex is taking good care of me." I paused and bit hard into my bottom lip to stop the tremble that was trying to tempt me into crying. "Don't forget to eat, okay? Even if I'm not home." I took a deep breath, pushing my tears back even further and added in a barely audible whisper, "I love you, Dad. Always." A sniffle broke through my voice and I added quickly, "No matter what happens," before hanging up.

I looked up at Max, trying to hold my worry back, and rested in the darkness of his eyes for a second before asking, "Do you know where he is?"

"Your dad?" Max asked.

I nodded. "I just..." I gulped, my eyes dropping to the phone in my hand. "I just really needed to talk to him.

"Call Alex," Max suggested gently. "Ask him to go check on your dad."

I inhaled deeply and nodded, feeling a bit comforted by Max's suggestion. It was a plan. I liked plans. It provided some sort of direction and a (false) sense of control.

"Good idea," I mumbled and turned Max's phone back on. "Do you have his phone number?"

Tingles similar to electricity tickled my fingers as he reached out and gently removed the phone from my hands. I watched his hand move him through the contacts on the phone and connected the call to Alex before he handed the phone back to me.

"It's ringing," he mumbled and put the phone to my ear in a nod. I reached up and took over the phone from him, pressing my ear against the ringing tone.

"Max," Alex's voice greeted, with a strong confidence I had rarely heard. Alex had never used that clear and self-assured tone with me.

"No," I said, "It's Liz."

There was a pause, before Alex's extended sigh crossed the telephone line and there was an warm friendly softness to his voice as he said, "Oh, hi."

"Hi," I said back, feeling a bit out of my comfort zone. I still hadn't really reaffirmed Alex's and my friendship since I had realized that he was an alien who were assigned to protect me because I was an important asset to his alien society.

"How are you?" Alex asked with hurriedness to his voice that was a lot more like the Alex I was used to instead of the confident even tone he had greeted me with when he had believed me to be Max. "Are you with Max?"

"Yeah," I replied. "We're about to go into the meeting."

"Right," Alex breathed and I thought I could hear weariness in his voice. Something that gave me hope that he was still my friend. That despite of his 'assignment', he was in the end most and foremost my friend. "How're you holding up?"

"Oh," I sighed in mock indifference, trying to adopt some sense of braveness. "I'm seconds away from having a heart attack, but other than that..."

At my confession, Max repositioned his arm around the back of my shoulders and pulled me back into his side. I curled up against his warmth, my cheek against his shoulder, the phone still pressed to my ear, as Max rested his lips to the top of my head.

Closing my eyes, I listened to Alex's voice, "We're doing everything we can to protect you. You know that, right?"

I nodded, knowing that Alex couldn't see me, but I had a sense that he knew anyway as he continued, "Max will protect you with his life, if it came to that."

Fear struck my heart blindly, causing my breath to hitch. "I know." Which was something I really didn't want. The thought of Max getting hurt was even more frightening than the thought of myself being in danger.

"Isabel will protect both of you," Alex continued, obviously trying to make me feel better. It was in his nature, after all. Even though his empathic abilities couldn't reach across the telephone line, he could always use his voice to try and calm me. Using his 'cool ghetto'-voice (as Alex used to call it), Alex added, "And Philip is the boss."

I laughed softly at this, my laughter weak and tired even though I really appreciated his efforts. "Thanks, Alex."

"Have you arrived at the meeting? Are you waiting outside or something?" Alex continued.

"Yes," I answered simply. "Max's father is in there trying to soften them up, I guess."

"Okay," Alex said quietly, giving me the impression that he was afraid too.

Clearing my throat, I forced myself to get down to business. "I kinda need a favor."

Alex's laugh was soft and warm. "If I'd been given a dollar every time you've said that to me..."

I grimaced. "Sorry..."

"Don't sweat it," Alex said. "I love doing you favors. Even if it happens to be a part of my job description."

It is? I wondered silently. Of course it was. He was essentially my bodyguard.

"Hmm," I said slowly. "I'll have to remember that."

Alex groaned. "Said too much, didn't I?"

I brushed my cheek against Max's shoulder and nodded, "Yup."

He sighed in mock resignation. "What can I do for you today, my lady?"

The seriousness of the situation was over me in the blink of a second. "I need you to check on my dad. He's not answering his phone."

"He was fine an hour ago," Alex said calmly, making me relax some. Alex was already keeping track of my father, which was a great relief. "But I'll check in on him again."

"Thank you, Alex," I said emphatically.

"I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

"My phone is dead, so call Max's," I said, hoping that Alex would get back to me soon.

"Sure," Alex said, his confident affirmation followed by a short pause before, "Thread carefully, Lizzie. Try not to be yourself too much, okay?"

I wanted to laugh at him and teasingly ask him what was wrong with how I was, but there was nothing humorous in the situation. I knew what he was asking; don't talk back to the aliens, they might kill you. Be polite and adjustable. An obedient shadow of yourself.

Apparently, tonight's recipe for survival included ingredients such as acquisition, exposure, vulnerability, loss of control and submission.

The recipe for one lousy cake.

"Yeah," I replied dimly and added, "Thank you, Alex."

"Always my pleasure," he said warmly before we disconnected the call.

"You okay?" Max asked immediately and I shook my head, pressing my lips together to prevent myself from crying.

"Your dad's fine," Max tried to console me.

I nodded silently, the unshed tears burning my eyes, as I looked between the front seats and through the windshield. As I did, I saw movement to the right and directed my eyes to see Isabel approach the car.

My insides tightened painfully and a large tremble went through me.

It was time.

Alex never had a chance to get back to me before the meeting.

TBC...
Last edited by max and liz believer on Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Unbreakable (AU M/L ADULT) Ch 59, 1/19/16, p. 53

Poor Liz!

But yay for another part! You like to tease us don't you? You're lucky Mezzi has a bunker. It'll give you a place to hide if things go south. :wink:

FB later! :wink:
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Great Chapter!!!! Please please please please please please please please please please come back and post more very soon ? I can't wait to read what will happen next for Max and Liz. So Mr. Evans and Isabel went first to try and let everyone know they were there. Glad that Liz called Alex and asked him to check on her father for her. Who knows if Liz will be able to after the meeting. Hope Jeff will get Liz's message. Oh boy here comes Isabel I guess it is time for the meeting. Wondering what will happen at the meeting? Who is at the meeting? Where is Jeff Parker?

L-J-L 76
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

I know if I was in Liz's place I would be scared to death. Alex is such a sweetie.

Helen
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

I'm glad that Max appears to be getting some sleep. I'm hoping he was also able to sleep some earlier in the day when he was in his bedroom with Liz. But if nothing else at least he got a little bit before the meeting. On the other hand it would have been hard on Philip to look back in the rearview mirror on the drive to Hondo and see your only son holding on to his bonded in sleep and not know if you were going to be able to save him or if you were delivering him (and her) to the executioner.

The unspoken words between Philip and Max were so loaded. Everything he wanted to say to his but couldn't. That would be hard as a father I imagine. Not only did he not have the time to do so but to struggle with the ability as well - that's just heart wrenching.

It's interesting to me that Isabel seems so sure of the outcome. She either knows something or she's in strong denial. She's the only one that is confident in what Max and Liz have being able to save them. I'm wondering how she would react if things don't go the way she hopes. (And Jo - that is not and invitation to go that route! :roll: :wink: )

Hypothetically if there is a rebellion I'm wondering if Isabel knows about it or at least has a suspicion. After all if she is a covenant and can see certain energies she might have seen enough to realize that Max and Liz will either be given a reprieve or will be the ones to over throw the current societal structure. And if she knows or suspects something why hasn't she said anything to Max? Because he keeps being beaten? It makes sense that would be the catalyst for joining a rebellion. She said it herself - she can't lose her brother. And under the current structure she would. Again - all hypothetical. :wink:

I'm glad that Max is able to realize how much Liz needs her dad still. I know he can read her mind and feel her feelings but for him to empathize with her and understand that she already lost one parent (two for awhile there) and that she's scared of losing the other (or Jeff losing her)... It just goes to show how mature Max actually is as a person. He could have been greedy and just wanted all of her attention the last seconds before the meeting but he didn't. I like that. A lot. :) Hopefully the meeting goes in their favor and they'll get at least one night where (even if Max has to sneak in to her room) Liz can see her dad again and just feel safe for awhile.

Let's hope that Jeff doesn't have caller ID. Seeing Max's name pop up when he (possibly) doesn't know him isn't exactly helpful to keep the covers in tact. Though I guess they could always claim he was just over visiting Alex. But then if Liz needed a phone she could have borrowed the Whitman's house phone. But then I'm over thinking a small insignificant detail I'm sure. *laughs*

I'm glad that, on top of everything else, Alex is keeping track of Jeff for Liz. Though if his parents were responsible for protecting Nancy it makes sense that he would do that for his friend. And possibly his parents would as well. Or they at least wouldn't think anything of it if he was.

As much as Alex was trying to help Liz by giving her advice on not being herself it doesn't seem like it's very practical. Everyone at that meeting has to know what her personality is really like. So I'm wondering how her being quiet and submissive at the meeting (if she's even able to) is really going to help their case in the long run. Even if it keeps her alive for the night the next time she speaks her mind wouldn't they punish her or possibly kill her then? Maybe right now it's just a "survive the moment" kind of thing but what's the long term plan for keeping her safe when she angers them?

And on a random note: I remember you mentioning that Michael's special ability would most likely have to be something that would be useful for a protector. But at the same time Alex's family is/was military. I would imagine they were a special enough "branch" in the military to warrant them being one of the families chosen to protect Gaeas. But how does being an empath really help keep someone safe? I can see how it might help if you were doing reconnaissance or something (much like mind control/reading would) but to protect a very valuable asset? So while Alex (and who knows who else) is doing everything possible to keep Liz safe is it really possible given his special ability? So I'm mulling over how Michael having anything beyond strong physical powers would be a benefit or necessity to keep a healer safe. Hmmm... But then you did throw me for a loop with Isabel's ability. :wink:

Speaking of Isabel again - she came back very quickly considering. So does that mean you're just dying to tell us what happens during the entire meeting and are therefore skipping the cliffhangers? ;)

Begging - it's always worth a try. ;)
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Cliffhanger again!..... :twisted: I have to live with it but such an ending put my nerves into frenzy... As I try to wonder what will happen with Max and Liz and I really wish that she has so much power that she can mind-warp all these pansy aliens! lol Eve :wink: :lol:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

SIXTY

Post by max and liz believer »

Ashley (Morning Dreamgirl)
On the other hand it would have been hard on Philip to look back in the rearview mirror on the drive to Hondo and see your only son holding on to his bonded in sleep and not know if you were going to be able to save him or if you were delivering him (and her) to the executioner.
I’m pretty sure that Philip wasn’t all that ”happy” about driving his son and the girl his son’s obviously loves very much, to a house filled with aliens who seemed to want to do everything by the book.

Isabel Isabel. She’s very intuitive. For some reason (maybe she’s just a hard-core romantic or sth), she really seems to believe in this bond between Max and Liz. Maybe she does know something, or maybe it’s just a feeling. Maybe she can see the potential. Maybe she’s an optimist that believes that everything will work out for the best in the end, even though it’s a bit bumpy right now. But she’s probably not (knowingly) in on any rebellious group, considering how close she seems to be to her brother and him not knowing about any rebellion. Or?
I'm glad that Max is able to realize how much Liz needs her dad still. I know he can read her mind and feel her feelings but for him to empathize with her and understand that she already lost one parent (two for awhile there) and that she's scared of losing the other (or Jeff losing her)... It just goes to show how mature Max actually is as a person. He could have been greedy and just wanted all of her attention the last seconds before the meeting but he didn't. I like that. A lot. :)
Considering their connection, it would’ve been ridiculously easy for Max to take advantage of the situation and keep Liz all to himself. Especially since he is obviously more adept at manipulating the connection and block some things from reaching her through the bond. But that would make him kinda into the people he’s trying to protect her from. Sean wants total control over Liz, making her devoted to him, making her dependent upon him. In a way, Sean wants more from Liz than Sgt. Carter seemed to have needed from Liz’s mother. Sean wants an emotional bond as well as the gaea-bond. He wants complete power over all of Liz. Which is not love. That’s domination. And Max has never been about domination. He’s been all about love. Plus, Max understands Liz’s feelings for her father. Not only because they share the bond, but also because Max has grown up connecting to people and thence connecting to their history, their relationships. And because anyone can see that Liz loves her father. And, Max unfortunately is very aware of the possibility of the meeting going very wrong and he wants Liz to have as little ”unfinished business” as possible if that were to happen.
Let's hope that Jeff doesn't have caller ID. Seeing Max's name pop up when he (possibly) doesn't know him isn't exactly helpful to keep the covers in tact.
*laughs* I love that you’re thinking about caller ID’s. Yeah, what will Jeff think? ;)
So I'm wondering how her being quiet and submissive at the meeting (if she's even able to) is really going to help their case in the long run. Even if it keeps her alive for the night the next time she speaks her mind wouldn't they punish her or possibly kill her then? Maybe right now it's just a "survive the moment" kind of thing but what's the long term plan for keeping her safe when she angers them?
Liz being submissive during the meeting is probably not going to ”help her” much in the long run, because you’re right - they probably already know of her true nature. But at least she won’t be ”tempting” aliens to make any rash decisions based on her personality if she stays quiet. That way she won’t be emphasizing or highlighting those personality traits that don’t really fit the mold of their image of a submissive gaea being at their disposal.
But how does being an empath really help keep someone safe? I can see how it might help if you were doing reconnaissance or something (much like mind control/reading would) but to protect a very valuable asset? So while Alex (and who knows who else) is doing everything possible to keep Liz safe is it really possible given his special ability?
How does an empath help to keep a gaea safe? Well, a protector of a gaea doesn’t (in theory) have to protect the gaea from any aliens. Only humans. And the best way to persuade humans into doing things they are not consciously planning to do, is to control their feelings. So if someone were to get angry with Liz and want to attack her, Alex would just have that person lose his anger and protect Liz in a very non-violent way. It would mean that the gaea’s mind wouldn’t have to be erased of memories that often (it’s probably already plenty of times by the gaea’s intended) because there wouldn’t be the witness account of any aggressive alien blasts to forget. There wouldn’t be the need for advance cover-up stories and erasure of the memory of witnesses. Because the gaea is not supposed to be actively and directly in war. She is to lead a peaceful life, so that she can build and save her energy to be able to supply the bonded alien with energy whenever needed. Isn’t it lovely?

Hope that kinda explains it.
So I'm mulling over how Michael having anything beyond strong physical powers would be a benefit or necessity to keep a healer safe. Hmmm... But then you did throw me for a loop with Isabel's ability. :wink:
Michael, as Max’s protector, probably has more ”explosive” and ”aggressive” powers, considering that he’d be protecting Max against not only human threats but (more importantly) alien threats. And that requires something more than a gentle push of emotions.

Thank you, love, for your feedback :D

L-J-L 76 - Thank you for your feedback :D

Helen (roswelllostcause) - Alex is pretty darn good to have around :wink: Thank you for the feedback!

Eve (begonia9508)
Cliffhanger again!..... :twisted: I have to live with it but such an ending put my nerves into frenzy...
*Ahem* :oops: :oops: Well... I promise you that they're actually going to attend the meeting in this following chapter. I'm not sure if that's going to make you "happier" or not, though :roll: :?
As I try to wonder what will happen with Max and Liz and I really wish that she has so much power that she can mind-warp all these pansy aliens! lol Eve :wink: :lol:
*laughs* She should definitely try that!

Thank you for your feedback! :D

From FIFTY-NINE:

"You okay?" Max asked immediately and I shook my head, pressing my lips together to prevent myself from crying.

"Your dad's fine," Max tried to console me.

I nodded silently, the unshed tears burning my eyes, as I looked between the front seats and through the windshield. As I did, I saw movement to the right and directed my eyes to see Isabel approach the car.

My insides tightened painfully and a large tremble went through me.

It was time.

Alex never had a chance to get back to me before the meeting.

This is a long one... :roll:

"I'll be dimming my side of the connection, okay? So that you'll be able to focus. To keep you alert."

Those had been Max's final words, spoken out loud but in a hushed whisper, before we crossed the threshold to the house. The blood in my veins had turned into acid from the frantic bursts of adrenaline, my back was hurting from being held in a straight line that would have made any architect delirious with happiness, and my legs were stiff with numbing fear.

But my mind was sharp. With Max's thoughts and emotions dimmed, I was able to gather my energy and focus on my surroundings.

The front door immediately opened to the large open-planned room where Max, 24 hours earlier (almost to the minute), had made me tremble with restrained desire and fed me overly sweetened pancakes of heaven. I visualized his smiles and his playfulness as he had moved around the kitchen and remembered the touches, the flirtatious moves and the heat from the side of his thigh pressing up against mine under the table.

It didn't even feel like the same house.

The dining table, where Max had stacked pancake after pancake on my plate, had been moved to the far end of the room. In front of the table were two smaller tables, with empty chairs on just one side of the table, facing the large table. The main table was also only occupied on one side, the chairs positioned in a manner that let its occupants look out over the smaller tables.

Like a court room. But without an audience. Without any witnesses.

I shivered. This was not a meeting.

This was a hearing.

Lights were off, except for two floor lamps. One by the large table and one between the two smaller. All the curtains were drawn. And the silence was deafening.

The second Max and I crossed the threshold to the main entrance, Max put his hand to the front of my hip and guided me slightly behind him. Normally, I would have objected to being semi-hidden behind someone. I didn't like to hide. I didn't like how inferior and incapable it made me feel and look. I had been raised to hold my head high, square my shoulders and to not let anyone run me over.

Instead I found myself bitterly swallowing the values from my upbringing and stomping my pride to a wet stain on the floor. In this environment, I was no safer than if I had stepped out right in front of a whole battalion of soldiers with fully loaded weapons pointed straight at me.

I had to accept the fact that Max had something I didn't. Alien powers.

While the right part of my body was shielded behind Max's, my head was completely exposed. I needed to see as much as possible. It gave me some sense of control and an inkling of security.

Maybe if I had known what I would see, I might have chosen to close my eyes against all of this. But by the time I realized that, it was too late.

The five men seated behind the main table, staring at us seemingly without blinking, were not scary-looking. There were no evil weapons of torture positioned on the table surface in front of them. They were, by appearance, human. For a second, I had feared the possibility that they might have shed their human 'disguises' for the occasion.

Instead, I realized that the fact that they looked completely normal was even more frightening. Dressed in monochromatic suits, they looked like they were attending a business meeting.

But compared to an ordinary business meeting, blackness surrounded them. Yes. Blackness. I squinted my eyes, in an attempt to help me see better, and realized that I was actually seeing black - like a halo - around the outlines of - specifically - the white-haired man in the middle.

The other men, seated in symmetrical numbers on each side of the 'Dark Man', were surrounded by more colors. But they were dulled; lacking in contrast and partly desaturated.

Not like Max. Nothing like Max. Nothing like the colors I had seen surrounding Max last night.

I swallowed, gave in to the need to blink when my eyes had almost dried out, and when I opened my eyes again the 'colors' were gone.

On the white-haired man's right was the Sergeant. He didn't hide his disgust and venom particularly well, which had me quickly look to the person seated to his right - Michael Guerin's father. His expression was blank, but his eyes were sharp, his gaze attentive and piercing.

Shielded in the shadows of the wall next to Mr. Guerin I could make out the shape of Alex's father. A biting sense of disappointment and betrayal heated my heart alongside a flash of anger. Even though I knew, by now, that Mr. Whitman was an alien, it was difficult to see a man that I had been around for most of my life standing - hiding - in the shadows of this menacing environment.

I forced my breath to be quiet and inconspicuous as I - quickly - looked past the man in the center to the red-haired man on his left side. A shudder of pure fear shook me as I realized that it was the Mayor.

The Mayor of Roswell was seated in a room with aliens, about to participate in a discussion about our fate.

In public, the green-eyed short man, with the beginning hint of a beer belly, was a very well-loved man. He always seemed to be close to a smile and memories of him hugging children flowed bitterly through my head.

It was actually odd that I had been able to recognize the man, considering that he wasn't signaling any of those characteristics right now. The redness to his hair and the green tint to his eyes made him look feral as he stared demandingly at Max and I, currently meeting my gaze straight on.

I could feel his eyes digging into me as Max's sharp order practically shouted in my head, Look away!

Having quickly gotten used to the quietness of my own mind, the way it had been pre-Max, his sudden voice inside my head had me tensing and instinctively snap my head away.

I realized then that Max had never had the time to finish telling me about all the people at the meeting. What could the Mayor do? What had elicited that reaction in Max?

But Max didn't, for once, respond to my musings. Without his input into my brain, I wondered what he was thinking. Was he planning what he would say? Was he trying to get a handle on the situation, just like me? Was he scared?

Only a few seconds had passed since we had entered the room. I glanced at the black-haired man on the Mayor's left side (careful to avoid looking at the Mayor again), observing that I didn't recognize him, before I fisted my hands and lowered my head, trying to take a deep breath and still my heart, which was trying to jump out of my chest.

Max had stopped next to one of the small tables, the one positioned to the right, and Isabel was reflecting his stance, flanking my left side. I found myself guarded between the Evans siblings.

With my mind on high alert, my senses sharpened, energy pulsating through every detail of my essence and being almost freakishly in tune with Max's body in front of mine, the Dark Man's voice made me jump as it broke the heavy silence of the dim room.

"Thank you, Isabel."

I looked up and observed with trepidation a transferred look between Isabel and Max, before Isabel stepped away from us, joining her father to the side of the room.

It was not until I followed her take her place next to her father that I noticed Sean.

Even though Max had informed me that Sean quite possibly would be attending the meeting, trembles still rushed through me at the sight of him standing there. He was standing stiffly, like a soldier at attention. But in contrast to the respectful forward stare of a soldier awaiting orders, Sean's eyes were burning as they brazenly stared at Max and I.

The realization that this was the first time I had openly stood next to Max - especially in front of my 'intended' - hit me full-force, making me feel guilty on principle. Like I really was a criminal. Like I really was breaking the law.

"Max-"

My eyes snapped back to the obvious man in charge - the darkest of the men. The one I could only presume was Command. The man with royal blood. The man with the power of being connected to a gaea without actually having to be connected to one. The man with hair as white as snow and eyes as blue as clear ice water.

Command's voice was deep and even. Without inflection. Without warmth or even interest.

Dead. It was dead.

"We didn't expect your company."

The shivers ran coldly down my spine and the most primal parts of my brain told me to RUN. It took a monumental effort to actually stay put. To not turn around and hope to be able to outrun these 'people'.

"Sir," Max said, his voice bearing unmistakable respect. But even through the turned down emotions on his end of the connection, I could feel how much he didn't respect this man. "We deeply apologize for the inconvenience. I take it that my father has informed you of our reason for attending your meeting tonight?"

Command's eyes shifted from Max to my face and I found myself suddenly unable to move in the control of his stare.

Blazing anger rushed through the connection, delivered by Max, and even though I found myself unable to turn my head, I could see how Max's jaw tightened out of the corner of my eye.

"Yes," Command answered tonelessly. "He has."

"Please, sir," Max said, the barely controlled anger making his voice waver. "Release her."

Of course, I thought with growing alarm. Command was controlling me. Using me like Sean had. Like I was born to be taken advantage of. Neither of them seemed above taking control of me as they wished.

There was no movement on Command's face. Nothing to reveal what he would do. Suddenly I was just myself again, my control having been handed back to me, and Command was back to looking at Max. Like I had just imagined him messing with my motor functions just now.

"So what your father is telling us is true then? You experienced my control over her just now first-hand? You have bonded with Elizabeth Parker." Command looked back at me and continued in his almost robotic tone of voice, "You have bonded with a gaea. One that was not appointed to you."

There was a pause in which Max hesitated. Maybe only because he wanted to make sure that he didn't speak too soon and accidentally interrupt Command, because Max's voice bore no hesitation as he confirmed, "Yes."

Command leaned back in his chair, ice-blue eyes not revealing anything, as he said, "Interesting," without sounding the least interested.

"Sir," the black-haired man I couldn't place, seated next to the Mayor, said in a tone of utter respect. "They are emitting energy."

The glow, I realized. They were talking about the glow.

"Yes," Command stated.

In a way, I wished that Command would be the boastful, narcissistic and condescending villain you usually saw in movies. The one that would talk and talk, while almost cheerfully taunting their victim, happily demonstrating their power over their sufferer and almost signaling that they found pleasure in their prey not knowing what would happen next.

At least that would give you something to react to. It would show some emotions, even if they were fake and masochistically exaggerated.

Instead, Command was empty. There were no feelings, neither on his face nor in his voice. For a human, like me, it made it difficult to know how to respond. It created an insecurity in which I wasn't sure if I should be frightened, uncomfortable or just frankly apathetic. It was like a horror movie without the building theatrical music to guide your emotions. Instead of you tensing at the increasing violin strokes, you were waiting in silent limbo, expecting anything to happen at any time.

His eyes were like two empty pools of darkness. It was like talking to a dead person. Not that I knew what that was like, but I could certainly envision it at this point.

His mouth was set in a neutral horizontal line as he asked Max, "How long ago did you bond with her?"

I realized then that Max was much stronger than I thought he was. Not even I, who was standing so close to him that I was feeling the heat from his body against mine, could see anything that exposed the fear he must feel in his stance. He appeared completely neutral, completely willing to answer any questions the council might have.

"On the morning of the death of gaea Nancy Parker, sir."

My blood chilled and I swallowed back the nausea.

"Ms. Parker was critically injured in the fire, and I saw it as my responsibility as a healer to save the next gaea, sir."

I refrained from looking at the back of Max's head, from looking at him at all. I fought to keep my face neutral. I knew that what Max was saying was not completely true. I knew that his reasons for saving me that morning had very little to do with my role as a gaea and his responsibility towards the alien society. And everything to do with his feelings for me.

No one on the council had moved a muscle. They were eerily still.

I concentrated on not throwing up. The fear was suffocating me. I felt utterly threatened in this environment. Not even Max's presence could calm me.

"Which is your duty," Command acknowledge tonelessly and looked away from us towards the wall where Mr. Evans, Sean and Isabel were standing. "Philip. Please enlighten the council as to the standard healing protocol."

"Of course, sir," Mr. Evans said with a slight tip of his head, and without looking in our direction, stepped up in front of the council. His voice was even and almost as toneless as Command as he informed, "Deep healing on occasion requires a connection to be formed. This is less essential the more experienced the healer becomes. My son," he paused and I found myself wishing that I could see his face instead of his back, "had at the point of healing Elizabeth Parker not reached that level of healing and had to form a connection with-"

"Yes," Command interrupted. It was amazing how he could interrupt everything in the room even though his voice didn't change in volume. "The specific healing of Ms. Parker by your son is irrelevant. I need you to inform us of the standard procedure."

"Of course, sir," Mr. Evans said, not sounding chastened or even angered. The lack of emotions at this meeting was slowly draining me. "I apologize, sir."

"Continue," Command uniformly instructed.

"If a connection is formed during a healing, it is immediately broken after the termination of the healing," Mr. Evans informed.

"What if the subject is human?" the Sergeant asked. My eyes connected with his dark eyes as I looked over at him. At that moment, the look in his eyes reminded me of his son. Predatory.

Mr. Evans didn't answer immediately and I got the feeling that the question might elicit a reply that might harm Max's and my 'case'.

"The memory is to be wiped of the incident," Mr. Evans replied.

"Even if it's a gaea?" the Sergeant asked.

"Yes," Mr. Evans answered clearly.

Command picked up the questioning by saying, "Thank you, Philip", which I've learned by now was the way the man with the milky-colored hair dismissed people.

His blank eyes moved back to Max and I, and he once again addressed Max. "Max. Inform the council of the events pertaining to the healing of Elizabeth Parker."

I saw Max raise his chin and I automatically hooked my finger into one of the loops of the back of his jeans, letting my knuckles rest on the lower part of the small of his back. Since he wasn't even holding my hand, I suspected that Max had concluded that any physical contact between us was to be avoided.

But his decision couldn't smother the need I had to be connected to him. Even if it was just to hold onto a piece of his clothing.

"Ms. Parker's injuries were extensive. She had third degree burns on 90% of her body and her lungs were collapsing due to heavy smoke inhalation."

"Get to the point," the Sergeant interrupted with a bored voice.

I chilled at the lack of empathy as my injuries were addressed. They really didn't care. Really didn't.

A mild wave of anger floated through the connection from Max and I knew that the feeling must be intense to slip through the damper Max had put on the connection. He didn't appreciate their indifference to my injuries either.

But Max's voice revealed nothing of his anger as he continued, "Of course, sir. I had to open a connection to Ms. Parker; the injuries were too severe for me to perform a mere superficial healing. The injuries were, in fact, so comprehensive that I was drained and rendered unconscious."

"Before you could wipe her memory and break the connection?" Command asked, in something that sounded more like a statement than a clarifying question.

"Correct, sir."

"How convenient," the Mayor said, but after Max's sharp order in my head earlier, I abstained from looking at the provider of that sarcastic comment.

"I presume I should address you then, Ms. Parker," Command said slowly and looked straight at me. Nervousness exploded in my chest and for the first time I saw Max, out of the corner of my eye, tense next to me.

I tried to swallow past the dryness of my throat, but my voice was a breaking whisper as I got out, "Yes, sir?"

Unconsciously, I pressed the back of my hand against the small of Max's back, needing the support from him more than ever.

"Were you healed to the point of Max passing out?"

I nodded. "Yes, sir."

"What were your actions in that situation?" Command continued.

My voice had gathered some strength with the protective memory of vulnerable Max in my arms after he had just sacrificed his own energy to supply me with life. "I called Max's father."

"Uh-huh," Command breathed slowly. "What next?"

I took a deep breath before replying, "Mr. Evans came and picked Max up."

Command stared at me. Coldness piercing into my very soul. Two long seconds passed before he turned to Mr. Evans. "Philip. Did you erase Ms. Parker's memory upon retrieving your son?"

"He didn't know I had been healed," I said quickly, the blood draining from my face as Command snapped his eyes back to me and I stuttered in afterthought, "Sir."

"I'm speaking to Mr. Evans right now, Ms. Parker."

My body trembled with fear and I nodded. I wouldn't have been able to form a word even if I had wanted to.

"Max was badly burnt. Ms. Parker looked unharmed, her clothes unburnt. I believed in the girl's account of not having been hurt. That the reason to Max's unconscious state was because of his own injuries."

"You did not connect with Ms. Parker and search her mind to verify this?" the Mayor asked.

"My son was badly hurt," Mr. Evans emphasized. "I wanted to get him out of there as quickly as possible to tend to his injuries."

"The loving father," the Sergeant snarled.

"Hm," Command voiced and I hated that cold single syllable of declaration more than the Sergeant's acidic jab.

"Did you seek out Ms. Parker after having tended to your son's injuries, in order to verify what she might have seen? What she might have experienced? To amend any issues in her memory, to prevent her from possibly telling any other human what she had encountered?" Command asked.

My heart slowly sank to my feet. I knew then that this would never work. They were out to hang us. Even Mr. Evans was starting to hang loose. How could I have missed earlier, that Mr. Evans had been protecting Max? It was so clear now. As clear (and suspicious) as it must look to the council. There were so many things that Mr. Evans had let Max and I 'get away with'.

"I did not," Mr. Evans replied.

"Hm," Command acknowledged again. "In other words, Elizabeth Parker was left with the knowledge of Max Evans healing her?"

"Something I didn't know at the time," Mr. Evans clarified and then added, "Yes, sir."

"And no one attempted to break the bond?" Command continued.

"Repetitive attempts were unsuccessful, sir," Max explained.

But I knew that was a modification of the truth. Max had actually never on his own tried to break our bond. He had wanted me - a human ignorant of such matters - to break it, because he (as I've later come to realize) never wanted the bond to be broken. Just like the first time we had bonded, as kids. When he had hold onto me and the bond for eleven months.

"And again, no one rectified this or enlightened the council about the problem?" Command asked.

"In the meantime, a human being - an important gaea - has been walking around with the knowledge of our society," the Mayor stated impassively.

"She can be trusted," Max tried. "She has not told any humans. Besides, she was to be let in on our society later anyway."

"Speaking of which," Command said and turned to the man on his right. "Isn't this gaea the one intended for your son?"

He was making fun of the situation, I was sure of it. They all knew that I was intended for Sean. They must know.

"Yes," the Sergeant answered and looked at us coldly. "She is."

"My dear friend, would you be so kind as to inform the human in the room of the rules applying to our gaeas, as she might not know them?" His request was made even more frightening as his voice remained monotone even in light of the supposed 'friendly request'.

Sean's father, Steven Carter, fixed his eyes with mine, making me swallow slowly. Twice. There was not a word to describe the look in his eyes. I had never seen it on any human being before. It was more than darkness. It was more than hatred. It was not even disgust, condescension or belittlement.

It made my body slowly shut down. Like I was being slowly lowered into water of sub-zero temperatures, my whole body tensing against the freezing sensation and my breathing picking up in the natural response of fight-or-flight. Obviously leaning more towards flight than fight.

"I'd be delighted to," the Sergeant replied. The account that followed was robotic, a mere dispassionate stating of facts. "The gaea gene is passed down within a small percentage of the female bloodline of the human population. If the mother bears the gene, the likelihood of her female offspring to inherit the gene is 93.2%. On the day of the new prospective gaea's first birthday, tests are performed to establish if the gene has been inherited. If the tests are positive, the new gaea is assigned to the male child of a high member of the Antarian military."

Antarian, my mind repeated silently - unfamiliar with the word - before the Sergeant continued.

"Specific tests are made to ascertain a favorable match between the gaea and the Antarian. In childhood, a protector is assigned to the gaea, befriending her. The gaea is repeatedly evaluated during her upbringing to assess her development, her strength, her capacity and to gradually tie her to her assigned Antarian."

The Sergeant narrowed his eyes and I had to struggle to not step completely behind Max. "The gaea will devote her energy and her life, to a degree chosen by her intended, to the Antarian community. It is the duty of each Antarian to uphold the protection of the gaea due to the importance of her role in our community."

The Sergeant released my eyes and looked to Max, his voice hardening, "Discounting protection and healing, the gaea is off-limits to every other Antarian except her intended. Suspicious interactions with the gaea is to be punished. Intimate relations of any kind is punishable by death."

My heart froze as I stopped breathing.

"Creating a bond with a gaea who is intended for someone else..." the Sergeant left the rest unspoken as he slowly shook his head in grave disapproval.

"Sir, if I may speak," Mr. Evans said quietly and respectfully from his side of the room.

Command look to Max's father and nodded slowly. "You may."

Mr. Evans stepped back into the center of the room. "I would like to remind the council that the bond was created during a healing, to save the gaea from a certain death. Circumstances made it difficult for Max to break that bond."

"The council is pleased by Max's decision to protect the gaea, but until you can come up with anything other than excuses for not upholding our laws of secrecy post that incident, the actions of young Mr. Evans are to be punished accordingly."

A tremble started in my knees and I felt my legs start to give. All energy seemed to pour out of me at the thought of Max being punished.

His arm immediately moved around my waist as I started gravitating towards the floor and pressed my side into his. Him finally touching me made revitalized power flow back into me and I could almost instantly straighten back into my full length beside him.

I turned my head to look at him, finding his eyes already on my profile. His eyes were dark and sad, deep and filled with torment. The look stabbed into the center of my heart and a gasp tumbled over my lips before he looked away, towards the executioners in front of us.

I saw Mr. Evans glance at his son, before he bowed his head reverentially to the council and withdrew to his position by the right wall.

Now what?

The heat from Max's fingertips digging in the side of my waist was spreading throughout my whole body and I decided to focus on that sensation. Focus on the points where we were physically connected.

And then the meager light from the floor lamps started flickering.

My reaction was to pull away from Max, wanting to stop whatever I knew that we were causing, but Max only tightened his hold on me, slowly edging our connection open. Like inching a closed door open.

Feeling parts of him again, feeling the warmth of his love and protectiveness through our special connection - the connection that was just ours - made my body come alive. I hadn't known it had been close to dying, succumbing to the darkness, before Max's life force and capacity for deep love shot light through my soul.

My eyes drifted closed, I momentarily forgot where I was, as I focused on him. On my beautiful alien. Catching onto every sliver of emotion he was offering me, gathering them up in my heart and letting them warm me up.

I failed to notice the light flicking out behind my closed eyelids, but was brought back to reality by the collective gasp.

My eyes snapped open to find the room covered in darkness.

Except for a dim golden light around my body. Around Max's.

I looked down at us, at the visible field of energy slowly moving further out from our bodies and then moving closer, in a sensual slow flow. Like it was pulsating comfortably with our heartbeats.

I could finally see it. What everyone else was seeing. In the darkness of the room, we stood out like a - in Isabel's words - Christmas tree.

I glanced up at Max and saw the exposed fascination in his eyes as he saw it, too. I wanted him to look at me. I wanted him to smile at me.

But before that happened, Command's voice rang through the darkness. "You have not only bonded through healing."

The pulsating motion of our glow stilled along with our breaths as we looked towards the darkened row of members of the council.

Before I realized that Max was supposed to answer this, he had started to speak, "No. We have deepened the bond."

"How?" Command asked, even though I was pretty sure they knew exactly how.

My eyes were slowly getting used to the darkness around us, especially as our glow was now flickering as the lamps had done earlier, and dimming and dulling along with our darkening thoughts and feelings.

I slowly looked at each of the men in the room, feeling slightly protected in the dimness, and lastly reached the right wall, where Max's father, Isabel and Sean were standing.

The glow disappeared quickly, like someone had switched it off, as my eyes found Sean's.

"Through copulation," Max replied.

I didn't have time to reflect over how wrong that sounded. How that word did nothing to describe what Max and I had experienced.

Because my eyes were still on Sean and even in the darkness I could see his eyes gleam and turn into dangerous stormy pools.

Maybe it was because Sean had tried to link our minds together and that he had already managed to manipulate mine. Or maybe it was just some kind of intuition.

But before I became consciously aware of the danger, before I could translate that danger through my bond to Max, my body had read Sean's intention and in the second that he raised his hand and directed energy out of his body through that raised medium, across the room, towards Max, I had ripped myself out of Max's hold, stepped in front of him - into the line of fire - and had absorbed the blast in my chest.

It felt like being electrocuted.

I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for a second as my legs crumbled underneath my weight. Something warm and zinging (like being electrocuted again) shot through me and next I could feel my heart again. It was struggling, beating in irregular fibrillation as I slumped back against Max.

The sounds of the room were fading in and out as my body started sliding down Max's front, my legs not working anymore. I was vaguely aware of Max's arm around my waist, holding me up as he attempted to angle me behind his body. His emotions were steamrolling through my mind, but I couldn't listen. I couldn't get my brain to work.

I registered the roar of pain and pure wrath, before everything blacked out.

I must have been out only for a moment, because Max was still holding me when I returned to consciousness. And that voice was still screaming.

Dimly, I recognized the owner of that voice now - even though I had never heard it like that before.

Max.

Max's anger was burning through my semi-conscious body.

I couldn't see anything, couldn't keep my eyes open. But when I felt him start to release his grip on me, a burst of energy originating from my willpower struggled to find my voice.

"No," I protested in a whisper.

Don't let me go. Max. Don't let me go.

In my exhausting moment of sheer panic I registered Max saying, "Take her, Dad. Please, help her."

His panic echoed mine. But for different reasons. I felt foreign hands around my waist pulling me away from Max's warmth. I threw my arm out, trying to hold onto his even when my body was failing me.

I managed to grab onto his arm and I curled my fingers into his underarm. My voice was garbled as I got out in desperation, "Max", before I lost my hold and was pulled up against a strong body.

"Stay with me, Elizabeth."

I recognized the voice as that of Philip Evans and my last thread of energy faded. My breaths were shallow and faint in my chest and my heart was skipping as I was being lowered to the floor.

Mr. Evans placed one hand against my head and pressed the other one against my abdomen. My body briefly arched off the floor in a sharp bow as he initiated feeding me healing energy.

That's when I became aware of the commotion around me. Of the raised voices. Of the furniture scraping against the linoleum floor. Of the screams and the crackling sounds that I couldn't quite identify.

With every burst of energy being fed into my body, the details of my surroundings sharpened. By the time I snapped my eyes opened and found Mr. Evans looking down at me, I was already trying to get my feet under me and reclaim control over my body.

"Elizabeth," Mr. Evans warned. "Stay down."

"No," I protested, but my mind wanted more than my body was able to provide in the wake of the burst of lethal energy that Sean had just shot at my body. And with Mr. Evans holding me down, I only managed to raise my head and shoulders off the floor.

Enough to see Max being wrestled to the floor by four grown men while Sean was slumped over by the wall, and a screaming Isabel was being held back by Alex's father. Isabel was desperately trying to reach her brother.

Pain rippled through me again - Max's pain this time - before the connection went cold.

"Noooooooo!" I screamed, my eyes desperately on Max as he was being pressed down into the floor.

I couldn't tell if he was still conscious or if the lack of our connection was a result on his part - him deliberately blocking me.

"Maaax!" I cried, my shoulders hurting from straining against Mr. Evans' hold as I tried to see if Max was moving or not.

I briefly looked at Max's father and wondered, in a growing panic, if he would just stand by and let them kill his son.

"Help him," I hissed at him, with every ounce of energy I could muster. "Help him."

Mr. Evans turned serious eyes on me and lowered his voice, "I can't intervene. I'm trying to keep you safe." His expression was pointed, like he was trying to tell me something more. Something that couldn't be said out loud in the present company.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Forget about me! I'm not the one in danger."

Mr. Evans shook his head. "But you are. Just as much as my son." He swallowed and looked towards his son. "I was afraid this might happen. It would have been better without all of this drama, but Sean Carter is not known for being calm and collected."

With his words ringing through my head I watched two men pick Max up and drag his frighteningly unresponsive body between them. My mind flashed to the early morning outside of my burning home, when Max had risked his own life, draining himself, to heal me. When his unconscious body had rested across my lap before he had been dragged - much like now - away by - to me - unknown men.

"Calm down," Mr. Evans hushed angrily, in a tone that Max would have used with me. Anger out of fearful concern.

But his admonishment came too late. With Max removed from the room, Command turned his empty light-blue eyes on me and in quick steps that seemed very inhuman in nature, he came to kneel in front of me.

And before I had time to swallow my sudden fear at his proximity, a possible scream already withering away in my throat, he locked eyes with me and stated in an even and detached tone, "Sleep, Elizabeth Parker."

And my mind offered no resistance. My world blacked out.

TBC...
Last edited by max and liz believer on Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa