Lyin: Eyes (AU,M/L,MATURE) ch 53 4/17/15

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes A/U M/L all mat. ch.21 8/20/14

Post by mary mary »

Roswelllostcause: Helen, I know you're truly right about Liz. True beauty comes from within. As for Michael, Maria and Max, well next week will have to do on that note...sorry. :)

Eve: I'm not so sure Maria's actions were jealousy exactly, I think she just fell into a lot of evil suggestions by a "lunatic". As for the candle, I think it's the same...do you say a prayer of sorts? :)
Carolyn: I was going to pm you with my daughter's recipe for dessert waffles but decided to share...she makes the brownie in a box recipe with an extra egg and makes waffles with it, serves it up with ice cream and chocolate syrup. I've never tried or had it but she's sent me pictures and it looks yummy. As a matter of fact I gave her my waffle iron years ago and now my granddaughter has it because my daughter purchased a more modern one, of course.

As for Liz and the beds, the woman is an over achiever! What can I say? :wink:

Natalie: Maria and Max...not this chapter, but next one for sure...I think. :wink:

*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*
Chapter: 21

A/N: “cumba” loosely translated...friend.

Meanwhile back in Farmington Don Adams headed over to one of his old cronies who worked in a garage on the other end of town.

“Hey Cumba” yelled Don to the guy working under the hood of a later model Accura, he was only visible from the waist down.

The guy pulled himself free from under the hood he was looking at and squinted at the figure walking toward him. As Don got closer he realized that this wasn’t Tony and apologized to the man and introduced himself. Since the man’s hands were all greasy they did not shake but nodded. Frank acknowledged Don and asked him if he could be of any assistance and Don asked him if he knew where Tony was. Frank gave Don a strange look and said…

“Boy you should keep up…Tony’s in the pen for murder.”

“Wow, am I sorry to hear that…do you know how I can get in touch with him?”

“No, sorry, I don’t keep up with that kind of riff-raff. There was one guy who used to come in occasionally to see him though. Tony called him ‘Mickey the stick’…try the bar around the corner. Maybe they’ll know something.”

Don thanked Frank and started to walk to the corner bar. He vaguely remembered Tony mentioning a guy named Mickey occasionally. If Don remembered correctly Tony and Mickey used to be pretty thick when they were younger. Yeah, that was it, neighborhood friends and all that.

When Don entered the bar it took his eyes a minute to adjust to the sudden darkness and then he found his way to the bartender. Johnny recognized Don from a few years back and said “Hey Don, how’s it goin’”.

“Pretty good man, hey I’m looking for ‘Mickey the stick’ Johnny; do you know where I can find him?”

Just as Johnny was about to say “No” he noticed officer Valenti sitting on the end stool at the bar and Valenti shook his head ‘no’ warning him like he wanted him to play along.

Valenti came in every day on his usual rounds digging for information and Mickey the stick…aka: Mike Costello was a good friend of Tony DeCarlo now sitting in prison. It was thought that Mike was in cahoots with Tony but they could never prove it and Valenti was satisfied the investigation was professional and complete. Did this guy want with Mike?

After Tony got sent up Mike got a good job and was really trying to live a normal life. He met and married a sweet young thing from the other end of town. Johnny caught on immediately what Valenti wanted and told Don to come by around 7:00 tonight…maybe he would have some news for him. Don said fine and left the bar.

After Don Adams left the bar Kyle Valenti set it up with Johnny that he would introduce him to Don this evening as Mickey and Johnny agreed.

Number one: Kyle didn’t want Mike getting mixed up in the wrong crowd again, everyone deserved a break and number two: he wanted to know what the hell this Don was up to. So he went back to his place to get changed into more relaxed clothing and there he ran into Tess on his doorstep waiting for him.

Tess was the reason Kyle moved to Farmington in the first place…he always had a thing for her and there for a time he thought the feelings were mutual but soon learned that Tess just used people for her own purposes and didn’t really care much about anyone. His friends tried to warn him about Tess but he had to find out for himself. Kyle kept up his friendship with Tess though because, after all, a man has needs and Tess was usually a willing partner. You could say they were friends after a fashion, each using the other. Kyle wasn’t always happy about that but it worked both ways.

“Tess, hi, did we have a date that I forgot about?” Kyle was curious and knew if he had arrangements with Tess he surely would have remembered.

“No Kyle, I just wanted to talk to someone and you were the first person I thought of.”

“Well come on in. I have a business appointment later this evening but I’m free for the next hour or so. Have you eaten? Are you hungry? I probably have something in the fridge. What did you want to talk about?”

“No, I’m good…and nothing in particular…just needed a friendly face I guess.”

“Oh, well can I get you a drink or something?”

“No, I’m good thanks.”

“So, what kind of business are you conducting in the evening?” Tess asked.

“Oh something for the office; the captain wanted us to come in for some cross-training with the night shift…nothing big or mysterious.”

“Oh,” said Tess. “Nothing I can tag along with then?”

“No, afraid not. Look, why don’t you hang around here until I get back then we can watch a movie or something.”

“Nah…I think I’ll just head on home. Maybe we can get together sometime during the week.”

“That sounds good Tess…I’ll talk to you later then.”

“Sure Kyle, see you later.” And with that she left and headed on home. Things looked safe enough around here for the time being she thought to herself, if Don was up to something Kyle might know about it, but I doubt he’d say anything anyway.

Kyle wasn’t sure why he lied to Tess but it just felt like the right thing to do, hairs tickling the back of his neck type of a feeling. He headed for his bedroom to change into something more street casual and headed back to the bar.

The bartender nodded toward the back booth the minute Kyle entered the bar and Kyle took a seat at the end of the bar until Johnny was free enough to take him over and introduce him to Don Adams as Mike Costello.

Kyle sat down with Don and they began to get acquainted with each other through their mutual acquaintance, Tony. There wasn’t much Kyle didn’t know about Tony due to his murder trial which Kyle had been involved in. Don asked ‘Mickey’ if he knew the kind of business Tony had been in prior to being sent to prison and Kyle, pretending to be Mickey nodded and grinned…”I think everyone knew the kind of business Tony was in”, and Don just shook his head in agreement.

“Well, do you know anybody else in that kind of business? Frank at the garage said you might be able to help me out here…I have a small job, not too difficult, and I will be willing to pay the going rate but whoever it is he will have to wait a little while for payment. My wife’s name is Liz…you might have seen her picture in the paper? Dr. Elizabeth Parker Adams.”

‘Oh My God’ thought Kyle…he’s talking about Liz and he wants to hire a hit man!

“Hey Don, give me a minute here to make a phone call okay. Sit still and have another beer and I’ll be right back. I don’t want to give anything away just in case the guy isn’t interested.”

“Sure Mickey, I understand…I’ll be right here.”

Kyle headed out the back door of the bar and went around the dumpsters to make a call to the precinct…”Let me talk to the head detective on duty…right now.” Officer Dulaney got right on the phone and Kyle told him who was calling and what he wanted.

“Hey Dulaney, this guy is serious. He wants to hire a hit man and I think he wants to take out his wife.”

“Where are you Kyle?” Kyle told him where he was and Dulaney told him that he would send Chewey right over. Chewey was a great detective; they called him Chewey because he always had a wad of gum in his mouth. He gave up cigarettes years ago and now he chewed gum. The guys weren’t sure which was worse because now he was constantly cracking gum.

Kyle went back in and took his seat across from Don and told him that his friend would be here shortly and Don just nodded his head.

“Have you ever been in love?” Don asked Kyle casually, as though he was thinking out loud. Kyle looked at him for a minute, thought carefully about his answer and then said…

“Once, for a minute maybe. I thought she was the ‘be all that would end all’ and then I found out she wasn’t that at all. We’re still friends though and I see her occasionally as a friend but nothing more. I hope to find someone permanent someday; I would like the white picket fence and the kids that go with it.” Don nodded and said he understood. “I have a wife in California and a couple of kids. She took off a few years ago and I haven’t seen her since.” Don had a strange far off look on his face.

‘Whoa, wait a minute; if this guy is married to Liz then he’s also a bigamist as well, does this dumb ass know what he just said. Holy shit, what did Parker step into for God’s sake?’ Kyle couldn’t believe what the hell he was hearing.

Pretty soon Chewey showed up and Kyle recognized him immediately …even if they worked different shifts they also had worked together many times. Kyle introduced Chewey to Don and then Don proceeded to tell Chewey that he had a job for him.

Chewey and Kyle both knew they had to get a whole lot more information out of Don before they could arrest him. So they continued to get information. Chewey was wearing a wire and the uniforms were sitting outside in an unmarked car waiting for their signal to come into the bar.

Don proceeded to tell Kyle and Chewey his sad tale of woe…about Tess wanting him to marry Liz so he could take care of her and then when he got served with his divorce papers yesterday morning at Tess’s place Tess went all ape-shit on him and threw him out calling him everything but a white man. So now he had to take care of Liz on his own. “She’s away on business but as soon as she returns I’ll call you and you can take care of her. I can’t pay you until her estate is settled but it is quite sizable. I’m not sure just how much she has but I know it’s plenty. The corporation she works for pays all of their doctors quite well and Liz is one of the most valuable doctors there so I know I can afford you. What do you say Chewey?”

Chewey looked at Don and then he came right out and said the ‘m’ word. “You do know that murder does not come cheap, don’t you Don?”

“Yeah, I know. I would do it myself but I can’t afford to bring any kind of attention to myself in any kind of an investigation. You know?”

“Yeah, we know Don…oh by the way…did this Tess say how she planned on taking care of Liz?” Kyle asked.

“No, she never came right out and said. I always felt that she was going to plan an elaborate accident of some kind.” Don wanted to make sure they understood that he wasn’t in this alone since the start…he had plenty of help.

“Oh.” Was all that Kyle had to say before Chewey gave the word and the uniforms came in and placed Don under arrest for conspiracy to commit murder…then Kyle and Chewey headed over to Tess’s to arrest her as an accomplice in a conspiracy to commit murder. Tess just looked at Kyle with tears in her eyes. She knew that Don was stupid but she never really understood just how stupid the man was until this moment. Of course she wasn’t the brightest penny in the roll either.

In the meantime Joe the P.I. had been privy to all of the goings on in Connecticut and made a phone call to Jesse in New Mexico. Jesse called Philip immediately and filled him in on the arrests of Don Adams and Tess Harding. Philip was elated. He could hardly wait until Max got back from Maria’s to fill him in on the good news.

In the meantime Philip called Liz on her cell phone as she was leaving the mall…she had closed the place down.

Philip told her that Don was safely locked away in jail as was his partner in crime, Tess Harding.

“You mean she wanted me dead Philip? Why?”

“Well Liz, we haven’t got it all sorted out yet but we do know that you are safe from both of them so enjoy yourself and we’ll see you at the series, right?”

“Oh Philip, I don’t know if I can go to the series but I am sure I will be seeing you a whole lot sooner than the last interval.”

“I certainly hope so Liz and I am sure you can make the series. You just talk to that Mr. Jarred of yours and I’ll bet we will see you there…and we will be in the bleachers. It will give me a chance to try out my new cream.”

“Oh Philip, I don’t want you taking any chances…we’ll do the VIP box.”

“Okay Liz, the VIP box for day games and the bleachers for night games…how’s that?”

“That sounds great Philip…I’ll talk to you later. And Philip, thank you so much.”

“Liz honey, please don’t thank me. I am so glad that this worked out so well…you have no idea how scared we all were and we will sort the rest of it out. How was your day?”

“Oh Philip, I had the best time. I went to SS. Peter and Paul’s Cathedral to mass…met the nicest old couple. Then I went shopping at the large mall Max had taken me to and I spent a fortune on stuff I didn’t need and now I am just pulling into the gate”…(Liz hit the remote above her head and the gate opened for her)…”anyway I had a wonderful day and now I am going to lock the car up for the evening and I will worry about my shopping bags tomorrow. You have a good night and hug Diane for me okay. Tell Max thanks again and I’ll see him on Tuesday.”

“Oh Liz, I am sure you will be getting a phone call as soon as we give Max the news. I would suggest you sleep with your phone under your pillow because he’s at Michael and Maria’s right now and I don’t think he’ll be home anytime soon…so tuck your phone under your pillow and good night.”

“Good night Philip, I love all of you so much.”

“I know you do honey and we love you too. Good night Liz Parker.” Philip smiled and hung up the phone.

Liz Parker, that sounded so nice! Liz thought to herself.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes A/U M/L all mat. ch.22 8/28/14

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn: Oh My!!! Congratulations Carolyn and I love the name. God bless all of you, how exciting for you and your family. God, you'd think it was me! :D :D :D
Roswelllostcause:You are so right. This chapter will hopefully shed some light on some of the underhanded dealings going on... :wink:
Eve: The idiot Don really thought he was talking to a hit man but you're right, some things are best kept to yourself. I hope this chapter clears up some of the stuff that's been going on. Check out Carolyn's news...great grandma, fantastic! :)
Natalie: Well, here it is, Max has his moment with Maria, bless her little pea brain, such as it is. :roll:

*~*~*
Chapter: 22

When Max arrived at Michael and Maria’s he found Maria sitting on the living room couch with a box of Kleenex and a bottle of cypress oil in her hand. Michael told Max he was glad to see him and maybe he could shed some light on what was going on because he sure as hell couldn’t get anything out of his wife and something was certainly bothering her.

“I’m just as anxious as you are to find out what the hell is happening here Michael and it didn’t just happen recently.” Max replied.

Maria looked at Max and then at Michael and then back at Max…she looked like someone had just punched her in the stomach and that’s exactly what Max felt like doing to her but he knew that wasn’t the answer to anything either so he calmly took a chair across from the couch and looked at her with mixed emotions. He leaned forward and put his elbows on his knees and looked her right in the eyes. He sure as hell didn’t feel sorry for her but he was willing to hear her out.

Michael asked if he could get anything for anyone and Max said a cup of coffee would be good…even though it was only 8:00 p.m. here it was 10:00 p.m. in Philadelphia and he wanted to stay awake and alert. It really had been a long day Michael agreed and left the room to get the coffee, but before leaving he said with concern in his voice… “Please don’t start any important conversations until I get back, okay? I don’t want to miss any of this.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.” Max said.

Maria looked terrified.

So, after Michael returned and everyone was seated and comfortable Max looked over at Maria and said…

“So Maria, let’s go back six years…okay. You took it upon yourself to tell me that Liz had a boyfriend back at Harvard; that it was serious and she was afraid of hurting my feelings so she didn’t want me to know about it. Does that about cover the story you related to me in a nut shell?”

“Pretty much.” Maria said

“Well I just found out Maria, that it was ‘pretty much’ a lie. Now, tell me, what in the hell possessed you to come up with a story like that? You were the only one that really knew how I truly felt about Liz. Did I do something to you that you wanted to hurt me? We had become fairly good friends after you started to see Michael and I don’t know how you found out about me wanting to pursue a relationship with Liz but you did and I confided in you. I really didn’t want to start something serious with all of the miles between us at the time…we were so young and immature. I wasn’t sure if I could handle it or not but you knew this Maria. I don’t understand Maria…Why?”

“Oh Max…please forgive me. I took the word of someone I now know I shouldn’t have and I let her play me like a fiddle…God Max, I am so sorry.”

“Who Maria, whose word did you take…who played you for a fool?”

“Tess.”

“Christ, I knew it…what in the hell possessed you to take her word for anything Maria. You knew she was a conniving little bitch…she always was. None of us ever trusted a damned thing she said, not since kindergarten when we first met her. You knew she had a screw loose somewhere. Jesus Maria, did you lose your mind or something?”

“No Max. It had been so long since we had seen each other that I just wasn’t thinking at all. She came into the Crashdown one afternoon for lunch while I was working. She told me that she had just gotten back from Harvard and had run into Liz while she was visiting their campus. She said that Liz was hanging all over some guy and it looked pretty serious and when she asked Liz about it she introduced the guy as her boyfriend. Tess asked her about you and Liz said she didn’t want to hurt you so she hadn’t told you yet. That she, Liz, didn’t want to tell you over the phone or e-mail. She was so convincing Max…I really believed her so I told you about it.

“Then she told me that Liz called me a loser and she wished to hell I would quit calling and writing to her. She told me that Liz said that I was stupid but she had to put up with my ramblings because I worked for her parents so I quit talking to Liz...”

“Maria…you win the stupidity award of the century…” Michael said. Maria just looked at her husband and started crying again. Michael handed her the box of tissues and let her cry.

Max calmed down and took a gulp of his coffee, which was now cold. He warmed it up with some from the pot that was sitting on the tray next to him and said…

“First of all Maria, I agree with Michael. Why in the hell did you believe that cock and bull story in the first place? Liz and I weren’t together so why would it matter to me if she had a boyfriend?” Before Max went on he gave Maria a chance to think that one over.

“I don’t know Max…you guys had been gone away to school for over a year by that time, maybe you had started a relationship.”

“Well, look at it this way Maria, if we had don’t you think we would have shared that information with our best friends...namely you and Michael?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Next question Maria. If Liz had thought you were so stupid would she have spent practically every free moment she ever had with you even before you started working for her parents. And isn’t she the one who got you the job at the Crashdown in the first place?”

“Yeah, but people grow up and move on Max, how was I to know that she hadn’t changed her mind?”

“Well, did she continue to call, write, and e-mail after your conversation with Tess…weren’t you the one to stop all communication with her? Didn’t you know how lonesome she was? Were you going to take the word of someone we knew was a liar and a user or were you going to trust you friend?”

“Well apparently I went in the wrong direction didn’t I?”

“You certainly did Maria and you put your friend’s life in danger by doing it. Tess has been having an affair with Liz’s husband. Apparently she has been seeing this man even before he started seeing Liz. Liz came to Philadelphia last week because she was so distraught by the way she was being treated that she had to get away. She called me on the off chance that I would be home and thank God I was. My dad has been working with her to get to the bottom of things since last Tuesday. She is still there because we are trying to keep her safe.

“She told dad how lonesome she was when this Don started to pay some attention to her and when he asked her to marry him she really thought she was in love with him so she said yes. She also told dad that he was the first friend she had since she left Roswell. Maria, do you have any idea how that made me feel. I quit writing and calling her because I thought that’s what she wanted from me. Do you have any idea what you did to your best friend because you believed the words of your worst enemy? My God Maria, Tess was right; you are the stupidest person I have ever met.”

Maria just sat there and let the tears roll down her cheeks…Michael looked at her like he didn’t recognize her. If she would have told him about the meeting with Tess he could have set her straight. What in the hell was she thinking? Apparently she wasn’t thinking, that’s the problem.

“Max, I am so sorry.” Maria sobbed.

“You ought to be Maria. You want to know the saddest part of all of this. There is probably only one person that will forgive you entirely for this fiasco and she has the right to never speak to you again. Do you have any idea just how truly wonderful this woman is Maria? Hell, she’ll probably find something good to say about Tess.

“Sometime I wonder myself how anyone can be so wonderful. I have to go Maria. You think about all of this and then go see a psychiatrist, I think you need one. Michael, thanks for the coffee and I’ll call you tomorrow before I take off. I need to get back to Philadelphia ASAP; we need to get ready for the series and I want to make sure that security is tight around the estate. God I hope nothing happens to her while I’m gone.”

“Hey Max, I am so sorry about all of this man. I had no idea any of this shit was going on, you know I would have stopped it immediately. Maria never said a word.”

“I’m not going to say its okay Michael, because it isn’t but I do know that none of it was your fault. Take care big guy and I’ll send you some passes for the series just in case you can make it”

“Oh I think we might be able to swing a couple of games. Maybe we’ll do the ‘at home’ games just to make sure we get to see one. The first part will be played in Philly won’t it?”

“Oh yeah…let me know and I’ll send the limo for you. You can stay with us. I have plenty of room and Mom, Dad, Izzy and Alex will be there for sure. I’m hoping Liz can make it in from Connecticut for a couple too. We’ll have a regular reunion. What do you say?”

“Hey man sounds great…are you sure you want blondie there?”

“Of course I do. No one said we’re perfect, I’m just glad the truth finally came out…I just wish it would have come out a long time ago.”

“Yeah, I’ll bet.”

“Well take care and let me know when to pick you up.”

“Will do Max and play good.”

“You know I’ll give it my best shot.”

“Right…good night man.” And with that the two old friends hugged and then Michael headed into the living room to check on his wife. He didn’t feel the need to chastise her as she was doing a fair job of that by herself.

*~*~*

Max arrived back at his parents’ home around 11:00 and his dad and mom were waiting for him in the living room.

“Hey, what are you guys still doing up?” Max was really surprised … it was l:00 a.m. in Philly and after a week on the East coast and all of the excitement he was sure they’d be in bed.

“We have some good news for you son…Don Adams, is in custody for conspiracy to commit murder and his partner in crime, Tess Harding, is right in there with him.”

“What in the hell happened Dad?” Max was shocked that things had escalated so.

“Well it seems that Kyle Valenti is a detective on the police force in Farmington, Ct. and he was on duty when he overheard a conversation in a bar between the bartender and a fellow looking for the friend of a hit man. It didn’t sound quite right to Kyle so he managed to get the bartender to set up a meeting between this man and himself and lo and behold it was Liz’s husband trying to find someone to ‘take her out’.

“This guy has to be the dumbest asshole on God’s green earth…he not only wanted to hire a hit man but also managed to tell Kyle, who was pretending to be the hit mans friend, that he had a wife and kids in California and that Tess backed out on the plan. That’s the condensed version.

“I don’t think Liz will be needing a divorce Max…I think we can get an annulment without any problem at all. This Don Adams will be going away for a very long time. Oh, and Max, I told Liz to sleep with the phone under her pillow that I knew you would be calling her regardless of what time it was. Apparently she had a very nice day out and about in the Jag but I’ll let her tell you about it.”

“Fair enough dad…I’ m going to grab a soda before heading upstairs. I’ll see you two in the morning…oh, and I think I’ll be taking off tomorrow. Mom, you don’t have to pump Amy for any information, I don’t think she knows anything about Maria. Michael didn’t even know. See you in the morning, sleep well…I know I will.”

Max grabbed a cherry coke from the fridge and headed to his old room. He went into his bathroom, brushed his teeth and removed all of his clothes and crawled into bed with his cell phone. This was going to be one of the best phone calls he ever made.”

Soon he heard a very sleepy…”Hello Max.” and he melted.

“Hi sweetheart, Dad told me the good news. How are you feeling?”

“Wonderful Max, absolutely wonderful. Did your dad tell you everything?” Liz said as she stretched and pulled herself up into a sitting position.

“Well, he told me Don is a bigamist, that he’s in jail along with Tess and that you had a wonderful day. Does that about cover it?”

Liz scooted forward and put a pillow against the head board of the bed and leaned back… “Pretty much. Did he tell you what I did all day in your wonderful Jag?”

“No, only that you had a wonderful day. Now tell me, what did you do in my wonderful Jag?” Max smiled into the phone and waited, it would have taken napalm to erase his smile…

“Well, I went to SS. Peter and Paul cathedral for mass, have you ever been there Max? It’s positively gorgeous. Then I went to the mall and spent an outrageous amount of money…had a chili dog and watched people go by…had to take some packages to the car before I could continue my shopping and then I headed home. Oh…and I did laundry too, but that wasn’t as exciting as the rest of my day. Hey Max, is there an elevator in this place…I discovered the laundry chute and the dumb waiter, there has to be an elevator.”

Max roared…his mother and dad were passing his room and looked at each other and grinned, they hadn’t heard max laugh like that in a very long time. “Liz, I think I will save that as a surprise when I get back tomorrow. Oh, and yes I have been to SS. Peter and Paul…as a matter of fact I am a member of the parish. Liz promise me you will be there when I get back.”

“I’ll be here Max, honest...Now…tell me about your day.”

“Do you want me to start at the airport or after I got to Roswell?”

“Well, was there anything earth shattering about the airport?”

“No…”

“Then start with the important stuff.”

“Well, I went to Michael’s and Maria’s right from the airport and got answers to a lot of questions that have been hounding me all week and Michael and Maria may come to Philly for the first part of the series. You do know that Michael is buying the ‘Crash” from your folks don’t you? How do you feel about seeing Maria Liz?”

“Oh Max, it would be wonderful to see Maria…” Max just smiled, he knew she wouldn’t hold a grudge. “And no, I didn’t know Michael was buying the Crash from dad. When did this happen, and what kind of answers did you get Max?”

“Well, I found out that Tess came to see Maria while you were still in your second year at Harvard and fed her a line of bullshit about boyfriends and about you thinking Maria was, well, let’s just say that Tess worked some fine magic on Maria…As for the Crashdown, Michael has been in the process of obtaining the business from your dad for about two years now. Your dad still works there as the manager, still lives upstairs in the apartment, and Michael is the assistant manager but he’s coming along. I think I will see how he feels about me floating the loan on the place for him when he comes to Philly. That way we can eliminate your dad from the picture all together. What do you think about that?”

“Hey, that’s between you guys. If it’s agreeable to everyone I say go for it. How are Michael and Maria? Do they have any children yet?”

“Nope, not yet…but I think Michael is about ready to be a father. He hasn’t come right out and said so but he has mentioned to me a few times that since they are getting more comfortable financially he feels it’s time to pursue other things in life. I think he means kids…what do you think? Oh, and they have purchased a nice home in the new subdivision.”

“Boy it sure sounds like he wants to start a family doesn’t it?” And with that Liz scooted back down and put her head on her pillow. She was starting to get really drowsy but she didn’t want to give up her time on the phone with Max either.

“Liz, did dad tell you about getting an annulment from Don? That he has a wife and kids in Ca. and he is apparently still married which makes him a bigamist.”

“No he didn’t! Wouldn’t that be wonderful! All I would have to do is drop that damned Adams from my last name and it’s all over. God, I feel so stupid!”

“Oh Liz, don’t feel that way, how could you have known. After all, there was an expert at deception at work here.”

“Has anyone found out why she did all of this?”

“No, but I’m sure Kyle Valenti will have it all sorted out before long.”

“Kyle Valenti, what in the hell has he got to do with any of this?” Liz yelled and sat back up in bed.

“Well, it seems Kyle was one of the arresting officers and found out about Tess. He is a detective right in your own city. Didn’t you know he lived there?”

“God no, this just keeps getting weirder and weirder Max. How many more people that we know are involved in this?”

“I don’t know Liz but the worst is over and we can move on with our lives now.”

“You’re certainly right about that Max…what time do you think you’ll be home tomorrow?”

“Oh sometime in the afternoon. The two hour time difference makes it a little hard for me to calculate accurately without a schedule in front of me. It’s been a long day…I still have to change my reservations from Wed. to tomorrow so I’ll give you a call when I’m at the Las Cruces airport tomorrow, or later today now… and let you know, how’s that?”

“Fair enough Max, I’m going to hang up now …I really am feeling tired and I’ll bet you are too. My love to Philip and Diane and I’ll see you soon.”

“Yes Liz, soon…sweet dreams.”

“Thank you Max, you too.”

Oh you can count on it sweetheart…the sweetest I’ve had in a very long time.

Liz hit the end button on the phone, snuggled down under the down comforter and went right back to sleep. She planned on having some wonderful dreams tonight …Oh Yeah…Amber eyes, raven hair , buff abs and the cutest grin on earth; oh, and that voice, mmmmm, nice ass too. Life was good and getting better every day.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes A/U M/L all mat. ch.23 9/4/14

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn: LOL, I thought that would solve one of the problems easily now for the rest, we'll see how it goes. How's the new sweetheart doing? :)
Eve: You just made me think of a really smart alecky remark and I think I'll tell you... :lol: Wouldn't it be great if everyone was as smart as we are? :roll: That wasn't nice, I know, but I just had to throw it in. :wink:
Roswelllostcause: Hey, I agree with you and why I wrote that is beyond me but it did help the story evolve some. I guess. Hang in there sweetie, it's about to get all better. :D

Chapter: 23

The next morning Max was up and on the phone with the airlines at 7:00 a.m. to find the first plane leaving Las Cruces to Albuquerque to Philadelphia. They had one leaving at noon and another at 3:00 p.m. Max figured if he left by 8:00 he could be in Las Cruces by 11:00 at the latest…

And so he changed his ticket to the noon flight. He called Liz and told her what time he would be arriving and she said…

“I’ll pick you up; we’ll be home in no time!” Max grinned, ‘home’…it sounded so normal.

“Liz, you don’t have to do that I can make arrangements for the limo to pick me up.”

“No Max, I want to do this…you have to quit throwing your money away on limos’…”

Max laughed at her…”Liz, a cab is $45.00 to the estate and a limo is $30.00, overnight parking is $9.00 a day and I am usually gone for 5 days or more. Do the math honey, the limo is the cheapest way to go and it definitely is the most comfortable. So now… don’t make fun of me and my habits. I am not throwing my money away, okay.”

“Oh, okay Max. I had no idea that limo service was so inexpensive…I will have to keep that in mind the next time I go somewhere. But I do want to pick you up, is the Jag okay?”

“You use whichever one of those vehicles you want to use, I’ll be looking forward to seeing you there…now goodbye I have to wake dad and mom and tell them the plans. Dad has an hour, make that 45 minutes to get ready to leave. I’ll see you around 2:00 or so, okay?”

Two? Liz thought for a minute and then remembered the time difference and said “Okay Max, see you then.” This two hour time difference can really make a difference in your plans thought Max as he headed up to his parents room. Max knocked softly on his parents door and his dad told him to come on in.

“Hey Dad, I got my reservations changed to noon today…do you want to drive me to Las Cruces or should I rent a car over at Enterprise?”

“No Max, I’d like to drive you, it will give us a chance to talk over some of the events that have been going on the past week.”

“Sure, okay dad…I’ll just throw my stuff back in my bag and meet you down stairs.”

With that Max headed to his room to pack his overnight bag and got ready to leave.

Philip got out of bed, took a quick shower and got dressed while Diane headed downstairs to put on a pot of coffee. She had some cinnamon rolls in the freezer and took them out and stuck them in the microwave for a minute then put them on the island for Philip and Max to grab on their way out the door. Max came into the kitchen, saw his mom busying herself with a breakfast on the go and smiled to himself. He should have known that dad wouldn’t be able to leave without something for his stomach. He gave his mom a hug and a kiss on the cheek and told her he loved her. Diane smiled and looked at her son and said…

“Max, I don’t think I’m the only one you love and I think it’s time you figured it out and took care of the situation before it gets away from you again.”

Max grinned at his mother and took a cup of coffee…”are the rolls cool enough yet?”

“They’re cool enough Max and I’m not kidding here. You let her go once you better not do it again.”

Max took a bite out of the roll and looked at his mom and smiled…”Boy, they sure are tasty mom.”

“Maxwell Philip Evans, you can’t ignore the truth…” And then Diane’s eyes got really big…

“Oh...My...God…Max , are you GAY???”

Max started choking on his cinnamon roll…He ran to the sink and started hacking cinnamon roll and coffee and couldn’t stop choking…”BREATHE” Diane yelled and Max kept choking. Diane pounded Max on the back and then, finally, after a few minutes Max got himself under control. He couldn’t believe his mother said that…his eyes were the size of saucers and he was speechless.

Philip walked into the kitchen about the time Diane had asked Max if he was gay and took one look at his wife then at his son and started to laugh so hard he had to sit down. He was absolutely no help to Max in the situation because he couldn’t control himself...he banged his fist on the table and laughed uncontrollably. Diane looked at her husband with a fierce expression on her face and Philip could tell she didn’t think this was a damn bit funny but he had absolutely no control. She just didn’t understand her son at all and her husband was not helping the situation.

Max’s face was beet red and he was having some serious breathing problems! He finally quit choking after having grabbed a glass of water at the sink and then he looked at his mother as though she was a stranger.

“Jesus Christ Mom, have you lost you mind? Of course I’m not gay.”

“Well, you never date that we’re aware of and most of your friends are married and you don’t seem to want to pursue a relationship with the one person who loves you more than life itself. What are we supposed to think Max?” Diane asked…Philip just sat and waited for his sons reply with raised eyebrows and a questioning grin.

Philip did know for certain that Max was not gay but he was a little interested in what Max would say to his mother. As a matter of fact this was one of the things on his own mind. Although Liz was a married woman for the past 18 months there were the years before to take into consideration.

“Well, I have had ‘dates’ as you have mentioned, occasionally, but there has never been anyone that I particularly wanted to bring home to meet the folks...and in case you haven’t noticed, up until last night Liz was legally married to someone. I don’t think she took the marriage vows lightly either. Look how long it took her to realize that it really was a mistake. I know what a sweetheart she is and maybe we will have a chance but it has to be ours mom…no one else needs to be pushing us…okay?”

Philip raised an eyebrow to his wife now and Diane nodded to her son. She understood.

“You’re right Max…you aren’t sixteen anymore so I will mind my own business… and say my prayers. Silently...”

Max laughed at his mom and then reached out and hugged her to him. “We have to leave now mom or I’ll miss my plane. I’ll see you next week. Michael and Maria are going to try to make the series as well so until then you take care. You know I love you…right?”

“I know Max, I love you too and you be careful. Tell Liz we love her.”

“I’ll do that Mom.” And then he added…”Oh, she’s picking me up at the airport in the Jag…I think it’s her new favorite pastime, driving a jaguar.” Max grinned at his mom as he and his dad filled their coffee cups to take along to the airport.

After they were on the road for awhile Philip just had to ask…”Max, are you going to pursue a relationship with Liz?’

“You better believe it dad…just how long do you think it will take to get this annulment in the works?”

“Well, let me give Jesse a call. And with that Philip put his cell phone on speaker and dialed his office.” When Margaret answered Philip said…”Good morning Margaret, connect me with Jesse.”

“Certainly Mr. Evans, one moment.”

It wasn’t but a second or two before Jesse was on the other end of the phone, “Good morning Philip, are you coming in today?”

“Good morning Jesse, no I don’t think so. Hey, Jesse how soon can we get to work on that annulment for Liz Parker? We need to take care of that ASAP.”

“Well, I’m not sure how long it will take in Connecticut but I can surely find out. I hear Jim Valenti’s son Kyle works there in the same town as Liz. Maybe he can give us some insight on who to check in with, i.e.: point us to the right judges for a speedy dissolution of the marriage. All of the facts are in evidence…they have already contacted me for copies of the stuff you had Liz’s accountant fax to me. Nobody has been able to find Liz for any comments do you know where she is Philip?”

“Yes I do Jesse but we’re going to continue to keep it private for a couple more days and give Liz a chance to get herself wrapped around all of this. We kept her from a lot of it so she needs to be brought up to date with all of the events. Just get to work on that annulment and I’ll take care of the rest.”

“Are you still in Philadelphia?”

“No, we came back yesterday and now I’m on my way to the airport with Max. He’s headed back to Philadelphia this afternoon. He has baseball practice you know. Some pretty big games coming up.”

“Wow, I’ll bet he’s excited. Well, I’ll get right on this Philip and I’ll let you know what I find out as soon as I know anything.”

“Fair enough Jesse…I probably won’t see you until tomorrow so call me on my cell if you have any updates.”

“Of course I will Philip. Drive safely and good bye.”

“Goodbye Jesse.” And Philip hung up.

“Well, now we wait son. I will let you know as soon as I know anything Max.”

“Thanks Dad.”

“Max, why didn’t you tell your mother what your intentions were?”

“Dad, it’s not that I don’t want her to know, I just don’t want it all over Roswell. You know how Mom is … she would say something in all innocence and the next thing you know a snowball would be forming and every rag in the nation would be all over it.”

“I see, but you sell your mother short Max. She would never betray anyone’s confidence.”

“Not intentionally dad.”

“Maybe you’re right Max…but I think you should get to know the Diane I know.”

“It’s alright Dad, the Diane you know is your wife…the Diane I know is my mother and I don’t think we should be mixing the two up.’

“Okay son, I won’t betray you.”

“I know dad...and then again dad, there are two people here, maybe Liz doesn’t want a relationship with me.”

It was Philip’s turn to choke…”Sure she doesn’t.” Philip said.

“Dad, I hope you’re being facetious.” Max looked at his dad with a hopeful eye…

“Oh I am Max, trust me, I am.” And Philip kept on driving and right at 11:05 Philip pulled up in front of the main entrance to the airport. Max grabbed his bag from the backseat and squeezed his dad’s hand through the window and took off to his terminal. People stopped and looked at the young man as he made his way to his gate but no one said anything. It was really hard to tell if he was Max or not without the uniform and the baseball cap on his head.

Max had just a few minutes to wait before boarding his flight and the attendant did recognize him as he handed her his ticket…she had been in his high school graduating class, she was very cool about it all and just gave him a knowing smile as she scanned his ticket and told him to have a good flight. “Will do Serena, nice to see you.” And Max continued down the walkway. Wow, that was nice of her not to make a fuss…I wish they were all like that. Too bad I hadn’t known it was Serena at the gate, I would have taken the time to catch up with her…she was always nice in school, Max mused. I’ll have to tell Liz when I get to Philly , she’ll be so pleased.

*~*~*

Meanwhile back in Philadelphia Liz was on the phone with Mr. Jarred. The first thing the CEO asked her was if she had a younger sister.

“Why no Mr. Jarred. Whatever gave you an idea like that?”

“Well Liz, I was watching the baseball playoffs last Friday and I could have sworn that I saw your double in the VIP box at the stadium.”

“Oh.” Was her only comment; did everyone on earth see that ballgame she wondered.

“Well, are you going to either confirm or deny that you were there? And if you were there why are you so afraid to admit it?”

“Well Mr. Jarred, the danger is over now, but at the time we were trying to find out what my husband and his lover were up to before I returned to Connecticut. My lawyer and his family invited me to the game and I got a little carried away…didn’t I? I almost killed my friend Alex. His wife actually sought refuge behind her father; I was so embarrassed when they showed me the tapes of the game that I could have died on the spot; Don wouldn’t have needed to hire that hit man to dispose of me.”

“Liz, my God, what in the hell are you talking about girl…what lover, what hit man? Holy God almighty…do you mean you left Connecticut in fear of your life? Why didn’t you say something?”

“Well I was going to tell you this morning but the crisis is over and I guess the only thing to say is that I really would like a week to relax before I come back. Although I felt pretty safe where I was staying it was still traumatic, to say the least. Yes, my husband and his mistress were planning my demise but they are both safely locked away and I also found out from my lawyer today that I am not Don’s only wife.”

“Wait a minute, are you saying that the Don Adams that was head of our security, the man you married, has another wife somewhere and he also has a mistress?”

“It seems as though. Pretty funny huh? I would have never in a million years thought that two years ago but that pretty much sums it up. It seems he planned on using my estate to pay off the hit man he was trying to hire…thank God that an old high school chum of mine happened to overhear a conversation that he was having with a bartender and pretended to be the man he was looking for. It is a really bizarre story when you get right down to it. Maybe I’ll write a book about it someday…only I’ll do it as fiction; no one would ever believe this in a million years.”

“Well, I must say this is interesting. You really can have more time than a week to get over this if you need it Liz. I would understand perfectly.”

“Thank you Mr. Jarred. I will get back to you if I think I would like to take another week or so. I would like to see some of the World Series games if that’s alright with you?”

“Of course it’s alright Liz. You’ve worked for us for over two years and have never taken a single day off and then when you do it’s to save your life. My Lord, if anyone deserves some time off I would certainly say it’s you. You take as much time as you need and we will talk soon. Call me when you get back. We need to set up a press conference for the break through on your last project, will you?”

“Of course Mr. Jarred…you have a good day and good bye.”

“Good bye Liz you take care.” And they hung up.

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes A/U M/L all mat. ch.24 9/11/14

Post by mary mary »

Roswelllostcause: Yeah, since this is a dreamer fic. I thought I'd add a dreamer boss. :D I really dream big sometime. I think this chapter might get things started on a new level with our two favorite characters, we'll see how that goes. :wink:
Natalie: :roll: Some bosses are nicer than others, although I must admit, I was a tyrant with some of my girls...there were 2 that the least amount of friendliness turned them into something intolerable, honest. Complete personality changes, it was just easier to keep cool and let them do their work. I hated being like that just as much as they probably hated me but you do what you have to sometime.
Carolyn: Oh the happy memories a little one makes for us. They are so sweet and innocent. I even get carried away with commercials showing babies. I love the one with the little one running around with her pants on her head. Precious, absolutely precious. I could go on forever here. :D
Eve: :wink: Kids... you're right, brothers and sisters never change as far as age goes. Mine haven't. they're still a constant source of smiles at 53,54 and 55. Honest...sometime their spouses just sit and look at them in disbelief. Me too as a matter of fact. :roll:

*~*~*
Chapter: 24

Liz headed down to the laundry room to put all of the folded sheets into the dumb waiter and then promptly sent them upstairs. She turned Max’s and her perma-press items back on for a few minutes to tumble the wrinkles out due to sitting in the dryer overnight. She then put hers and Max’s dirty jeans in one of the washers and the towels in one of the others. She took the iron and ironing board from the back of the laundry room and took a few minutes to freshen up the shirts and when she had them pressed she laid the perma-press items over her arm and headed back up the stairs.

While she was busy with her laundry chores she hummed off key and smiled. She couldn’t remember feeling this happy in a long long time. After she hung up the shirts and tee’s she proceeded to make all of the beds and clean the bathrooms. Since Olivia had this week off too so she figured she would just keep herself busy until she heard from Max to find out what time to pick him up. She would figure out where the vacuum cleaner was when she finished cleaning the bathrooms.

About that time her cell rang and it was Max calling to let her know what time he would be arriving and was happy to find out she had plenty of time to finish the bathrooms. After those chores were finished she went on a search for the vacuum and promptly found it in the cupboard next to the dumbwaiter along with dust cloths and other cleaning items. After she had all of the upstairs rooms cleaned she still had time for a shower before heading to the airport.

Max can help clean the downstairs she thought to herself…then she giggled…’big rich and famous baseball player’ and then she proceeded to laugh out loud.

She stopped in the laundry room and put the jeans in one dryer and the towels in the other, set the timers and headed out the back door.

On her way to the garage she ran into a very pleasant looking man, in his early 50’s she would guess, who was busy pruning the bushes on the side of the house. As she passed by she stopped and smiled…”Are you Charley?” she asked. “Why yes and you must be Liz.”

“Yes I am, it’s so nice to meet you Charley. I am just on my way to the airport to meet Max. I absolutely love the gardens around the estate. They are beautiful.”

“Thank you Liz. I am so happy to meet you as well and I am glad you like the gardens. They are beautiful but I can’t take all of the credit. I have a lot of help. I hire people on occasion to help when it’s time for major work to be done. I didn’t know that Mr. Evans wasn’t home.”

“Oh he went back to Roswell with his family; he is coming back this afternoon.”

“I see…I am surprised he left you here alone. He doesn’t usually leave people alone in the house, not that you aren’t trustworthy or anything, but he just doesn’t do it.”

“Well maybe it’s because we have been friends since we were little. My father and Max’s father were school buddies.”

“I see…so you’ve know young Mr. Evans for a long time then?”

“I certainly have…all of my earliest memories include Max. Anyway Charley, I have to get going if I’m going to be at the airport on time. You have a nice day.”

“You too Liz.” And Charley gave the young woman a big warm smile as she headed to the garage and started to unload the jaguar’s trunk. She put her shopping bags into the trunk of her own car and then took off. What a lovely young woman Charley thought to himself. Lovely indeed.

*~*~*

Max ate the lunch that was served on the plane, remembering the cinnamon rolls he had enjoyed with his father and then he started grinning remembering the conversation with his mother. She really got him good, ‘I feel lucky to have lived through it!’ He thought to himself. Then he asked for a refill on his coffee. The stewardess wanted to know if there was anything else she could get for him and he told her “No I’m fine thanks”. She smiled and continued to take care of the rest of the first class passengers and before long the fasten seat belt sign came on and they were headed into Philadelphia airport.

Max must have dozed because he didn’t even remember having his coffee cup removed. When they were safely at their gate he grabbed his overnighter from the over head storage and was the first one to disembark. He couldn’t get to the luggage area fast enough and when he saw her standing there with that great big smile while waving his car keys in her hand he melted.

His dad better get that annulment fast because his body was rapidly losing the battle with his mind and he approached her as though he had been doing it for years.

When he finally got to her he gave her a big hug and she in turn hugged him just as big and then they were off.

Max took his keys and then he looked at her…”Do you want to drive?” She giggled and said “No, you can have your turn.” “Thanks” he said and neither noticed the idiot with the camera following them…but Joey did. It didn’t take him long to retrieve it, remove the chip and hand it back to the guy along with a hundred dollar bill to replace the memory chip. The man asked him who the hell he thought he was and Joey looked the man straight in the face and said, “I’m her guardian angel asshole now go get a life.”

Actually Joey had just turned in his rented auto and was on his way to check in for his flight back to New Mexico when he saw the paparazzi tailing Liz and figured he could do one more favor before leaving town. Jesse had sent him to Philadelphia to pick up some information for him on another case and Joey figured he was still on Liz watch as well. What a lucky break that he happened to see this action. That poor girl had enough to look forward to without this being thrown up in her face.

So unbeknownst to Max and Liz they had a guardian angel.

Max grabbed hold of her hand and led her to the short term parking lot where he spotted his Jag sitting all alone at the end of the row. He raised an eyebrow at Liz and she explained that she didn’t want anyone next to his handsome car…He smiled at her and gave her hand a small squeeze as they made their way through the parked cars and were on their way in no time.

As they left the airport Max asked Liz just how hungry she was…

“Not super hungry, what do you have in mind?”

“Well, how about we go home and grab a sandwich and then take a drive to New York?”

“Max are you nuts…NEW YORK? How long will that take?”

“Well, I think we could be there by dinner time, it takes about an hour and a half. Does that sound like fun? We can pack an overnight bag and come back on Wednesday …oh; you don’t have to leave tomorrow do you?”

“No Max, I don’t have to leave tomorrow, when does the series start?”

“Next week, why?”

“Well I called Mr. Jarred and he was shocked to hear the news about Don. He remembered him from when he worked at the company and was shocked to find out that he was married. Apparently he didn’t tell the HR department about a wife or children when he hired on with the company. I know Mr. Jarred has more to do than read every applicant’s resume’. I guess if I were an employer the size of our company I couldn’t be bothered with all of that trivia either, that’s why they have managers. I would have to trust the people that I hired to take care of all of that. Wouldn’t you?”

“I’m not sure I would Liz. After this past week I’m just not sure how I would handle that. It almost makes me want to do a more in depth study of the people we have working for us in Arizona. They have to meet certain criteria and we do necessary background checks on everyone we hire but after this situation with you I am terrified that something bad might happen to one of our kids.”

“Oh Max, if I had been more worldly wise I don’t think this would have happened to me.”

“I’m not so sure Liz. But let’s talk more about our trip to New York. Does that sound like fun?”

“Yes it does, and it will give me a chance to wear some of my new clothes…I’ll have to get them out of my car though but that won’t be a problem. Will my black dress be okay for dinner? I didn’t buy anymore dressy clothes, just some winter things.”

“Your black dress will be perfect for dinner.” ‘Anything will be perfect as long as you’re in it’ Max thought. Then he looked over at her and noticed the wedding ring was missing. We’re going to have to fix that Max thought to himself. Then he looked at Liz and gave her more than just a grin…it was a full blown smile.

*~*~*

They were soon back at the estate and Max pulled into the garage next to Liz’s Honda. It’s funny how cute that Honda looked sitting in his garage next to all of those big expensive rigs he thought. When he got out of the car he went around to open Liz’s door and she was already half way out of the car. “Liz…you’re going to have to learn to wait for me to open your door for you.”

“Why Max, we’re the only two here, I can do it.”

“I know you can do it Liz, but I want to do it for you. Just like you want to do the dishes and make your bed I want to open your car door, will you please allow me to do that for you?”

“Yes Max, you can do that for me. Thank you. Now we have to get this stuff out of my car so I can pack some of it in the suitcase I bought. I may just have to borrow one of yours though; I don’t think mine is big enough.”

“Liz, we are only going to be there tomorrow and then head back Wednesday but if you need to borrow a suitcase then you can borrow a suitcase.”

“Thank you Max, now let’s hurry up I have never been to New York for the fun of it.”

“Oh Really!!! Well let’s just see if we can make it a super fun time.”

Max didn’t have to be at practice until Thursday so he decided to make a few calls and see what he could conjure up.

After they got into the house Liz immediately went to the laundry room to get the clothes out of the dryer and Max went up the grand staircase to her room to put her clothes on her bed. He thought he smelled cleanser and fabric softener and started looking around. His parent’s room smelled the same as did Alex and Isabel’s room then he went into his room and it had the same odor. He noticed his bed was made up very crisply, the towels in the bathroom were missing and he checked the clothes hamper in his closet and it was empty. What in the hell has she been doing he thought to himself. He figured she would read or something…he never dreamed she would make beds, wash clothes and clean bathrooms. Oh for God’s sake. I should have taken her with me.

About that time Liz showed up in his room with a stack of folded jeans and put them on his bed and then headed down the hall to her room with the remainder of the stack. Max watched her with a concerned look and then she came back and headed to the end of the hall and opened the dumb waiter and took out a stack of folded towels.

“Liz, what in the hell did you do while I was gone? Did you exterminate the place while you were at it?”

Liz looked at Max and started to giggle…”Relax Max, all I did was some laundry and make a few beds. Do you know that you have three extra large capacity washing machines and two industrial sized dryers? Laundry is no job in this house Max. You don’t even have to carry the clothes up and down the stairs if you don’t want to. Now where is the elevator?”

Max just looked at her and shook his head…he took his jeans to his closet and started to hang them up and Liz entered behind him to help…

”No, go get packed.”

He reached up over Liz’s head and brought a large piece of luggage down from behind her and said “Here, go…and pack enough for a couple of days. If you only have one good dress then we will get you another one in New York...maybe on Broadway…what do you say, are you up for that?”

Liz pulled her little curtsy and said “Yes m’lord.” And Max feigned a frown and she took off. As soon as Liz left Max’s room he quickly dialed his travel agent and told her he was headed to New York until Wednesday…he wanted reservations for a show tomorrow night and dinner after. He wanted a suite with two bedrooms and reservations for dinner tonight. He would like tour bus tickets for around 10:00 a.m. tomorrow morning after a nice breakfast in the suite and make sure the hotel has a nice dining room as well as a dance floor. The agent told him she would fax his itinerary to him in about half an hour. Max said great and headed to the shower.

About an hour later Max headed to the kitchen only to find Liz there making sandwiches for them. She had two cherry cokes sitting next to two paper plates with some chips on them. Max smiled at her and sat down.

“What’s for lunch wench?”

“Why my lord, why dost thou jest with me so?”

“Because it’s so easy to Liz.” And Liz giggled, “We’re having ham and cheese on rye. I figured if we were going to be driving to New York then we should have something to take the edge off before we left. Anyway, this should hold us over until we have dinner. Oh Max, I am so excited…you are the best friend on earth.”

“I am happy that you are happy Liz…now come on, sit down here with me so I won’t feel like I am the lord around here.”

“Yes Max…now when do you have to be back?”

“I have to be at practice on Thursday morning so if we get back Wednesday evening that will be fine. We will spend tonight and tomorrow night and head back on Wednesday afternoon or early evening…is that okay with you?”

“Oh yes Max more than okay. I don’t have to be back to work for another week or so…Mr. Jarred told me I didn’t have to call him but I will check in with him. I figure I can drive back whenever things settle down a little more. But I really don’t want to talk about that. I am sure there will be plenty of questions from people who watched the final playoff game Friday.” Liz giggled as she remembered the tape she and Max watched together. “Mr. Jarred wanted to know if I had a younger sister…I had to confess to him that I didn’t and he said it looked like I was really having a good time. I feel so guilty for beating on poor Alex. I wish people would just let it rest.” And then she giggled once more.

Max smiled at her and then he had to ask “Are you having a good time Liz?”

“Oh God Max, the best. And now that all of this shit with Don…oh Max I’m so sorry for that … all of this STUFF with Don is over I am really having fun. I haven’t been this relaxed in over a year and a half and if feels so good…so freeing.”

Max smiled at her and continued eating his ham and cheese, which was very good by the way, and then he helped Liz clean up the kitchen. While they were putting things away Max asked…” Liz, will you stay here for the next week or so that you’re off and go to some of the series games with us?”

“Of course Max, that’s what I planned anyway…if it’s okay?”

“Of course it’s okay. Everyone will be so glad to hear it, they all wanted to know if you would be here and I told them I didn’t know so now I do and I can tell them yes.” And Max gave her a great big smile…he’d been doing a lot of that lately, smiling that is, and he smiled some more.

When Max went into the grand hall he saw the huge suitcase sitting there and he asked her why she carried that downstairs.

“I didn’t, I used the dumb waiter. And when you show me where the elevator is I may just never walk up or down these stairs again...where is it by the way?”

“Later Liz, c’mon…let’s get going.” And with that they left the estate again and headed for the garage. “Which car Liz?” Like he had to ask and she headed straight for the Jag. He knew that’s the one she would choose…he might just let her take it back to Connecticut with her, that way she would have a good reason to come back. There’s a thought. They got the luggage stowed and were on their way. Both of them excited to be going away for a couple of days without any bad omens hanging over their heads and both of them thinking thoughts that mirrored the other’s and they were both smiling.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes (AU,M/L,MATURE) ch.25 9/18/14

Post by mary mary »

Roswelllostcause: You are so right, they are going to be the perfect couple...just stick with me here. :D
Eve: Your family sounds like mine. My bro and me are 3 years but my kids...two oldest, 11 months apart and then the second and third, 13 months apart. It was like triplets and my house was like a Chinese laundry for years. God love the youngest...according to the two older ones he got away with murder. It's only because I learned that he'd grow out of the horrible things two ear olds did and I ignored those awful actions...LOL, it's true, he was kind of spoiled. Still is only his wife spoils him now, thank God. Here's your weekly hit on our two love birds, enjoy. :D
Carolyn: :) That is so cute, I'll bet you can't wait to get to her again and see the difference that a few weeks make. Although cell phones and internet are wonderful when it comes to keeping current with things this important. Enjoy! :D
Oh, and I think this is the chapter when the annulment comes through. Not really sure since I edited a bunch of chapters this week. :wink:

*~~*~*~*~~*
A very long chapter but no annulment yet...I really thought this was the one but not yet. Please enjoy
. :D
Chapter: 25

Soon Max and Liz were on their way down the newly paved highway where most of the winter damage from last year had been repaired; the roads were in good shape and fairly clear and the weather was beautiful. All of the hills looked as though someone had opened numerous colors of red, orange, gold and brown paint and had thrown the paint all over the mountains. It was breathtaking.

“Oh God Max, isn’t it beautiful?” Liz asked; eyes wide and awe in her voice.

“Yes it is Liz…it’s nothing like Roswell in the fall but the desert has its hidden beauty as well. Don’t you think?” Max asked.

“I certainly do. I was telling your dad that very same thing the other morning…the view at the estate is gorgeous as well.”

“I’m glad you like it. Someday I will do something worthwhile with the place; I just don’t know what that will be just yet.” Max turned his head to look at Liz, smiled, then turned his attention back to the highway and continued “I need to get comfortable with the Arizona camp first.”

“Don’t worry about it Max, it will come to you…Hey what kind of music do you like? I sort of messed with the radio yesterday while I was out.” Liz giggled and Max smiled again.

“Whatever you want is fine with me. I like most of it except for Rap…I have a tough time following it and a lot of the pop stuff is just noise to me as well.”

“I’m the same way…how about some soft rock?”

“Soft rock’s good.” And Max just kept on driving and listening to the hum of the tires on the highway. He was going to have to talk to that guy who convinced him these tires were made for a quiet ride. Yeah, right!

After awhile Liz turned her attention back to Max and asked, “What are we going to do in New York?”

“Oh, well I was going to surprise you but I guess you can be surprised now. We’re going to a Broadway show tomorrow night and dinner after…tomorrow morning we are taking a tour bus …we can get off and re-board anytime we want to. What do you think?”

“Oh I think that sounds great…I’m getting so excited I might pee my pants.” And Liz shivered with excitement.

“Oh for God sake Liz please, not in the Jag.” Liz started laughing and Max just smiled and kept on driving.

Soon they crossed the state line into New Jersey and were well on their way. Liz didn’t know why she was so excited, it wasn’t like she had never been anywhere before. But, really, she hadn’t been anywhere with Max in a lot of years and never on a trip, this was just too exciting for words. She had forgotten just how good it was to be with him and she was so looking forward to tomorrow. It was a whole new adventure for her and as far as she was concerned this was her first trip anywhere, the first one that would hold a special meaning that is.

*~*~*

When they pulled into the huge hotel’s covered entry the valet came and immediately called for a bell hop on his walkie-talkie. Max helped Liz out of the car while the bellhop got their matching luggage from the trunk and led them to the front desk. When the desk clerk asked Max who the reservations were for he simply said “Parker/Evans.” Letting it sound like one person’s name. The desk clerk checked her computer and handed Max two room keys.

“Did anyone ever tell you that you looked a lot like Max Evans sir?” Max just looked at the girl and gave her a killer smile and answered, “Yeah, I get that a lot.” Liz grabbed his arm and said, “Come on Parker we’re going to be late for dinner.” Max looked down into those big brown eyes and grinned as they headed for the elevator.

“Don’t you think that was just a little sneaky Max?”

“Yeah it probably was but if she’s here when we check out I’ll give her a signed baseball. I keep a couple in my back pack for just such occasions. I usually don’t check out at the desk though, but we can walk by and see, okay?”

“Sure, sounds like a plan.” And then the elevator stopped on the top floor and Liz was escorted to one of the four suites located on that floor. When the bellhop opened the door Liz simply stood there flabbergasted, she couldn’t move…her knees started to buckle. Max gave her arm a little squeeze and led her farther in and then tipped the bell man who closed the door behind him.

“Oh Max, this is so beautiful. When did you have time to make the reservations, or do you own this too?”

She turned in circles and sighed, her eyes as big as saucers. She couldn’t believe that she was in this beautiful suite of rooms alone with Max Evans. It was positively one of the most elegant places she had ever seen. And Max, well Max was almost too excited to register her remark at first and then, when he realized what she had said; he sat down on the overstuffed couch and laughed uncontrollably…

”No Liz, my God, No! I don’t own this…do you think I own everything?”

“Well, after what I’ve seen lately I wouldn’t be too surprised.” She said as she danced from room to room checking it all out. Max sat and watched her every move. It was so wonderful to be able to do this with her and not be worried about who was going to see them or what was going to happen to her. He decided right there and then that he would not think of the past any longer. ‘We have the rest of our lives to live,’ he thought and he was going to do everything in his power to see if they could do it together.

“Max, there are two identical bedrooms in this place…I really thought I could sleep on the couch or, maybe you”... and her voice sort of trailed off at the thought “but we have two bedrooms.”

“Liz, I have no intention of sleeping on a couch unless it’s the last place on earth and I certainly don’t expect my guests to sleep on one either…so have you decided which bedroom you want?”

“Yes, I think I’ll take the mauve and pink one and you can have the two shades of blue. Is that fair?”

“Wellll, I kind of like pink…” And he watched Liz’s expression go from puzzled to almost funny and then he added with a grin, “Yes that’s fair. Now how about we get ready to go have some dinner and dancing at a club…or we can dance here in the hotel. I was told they have a nice dance floor and live music.”

“Let’s stay here okay…I don’t want to ride anymore.”

“Fine, go put on your pretty black dress and I’ll meet you here in the great room when you’re all dolled up. Did you bring your new necklace and ear rings?”

“I certainly did. I had no idea what your plans were but I’m ready for anything Max.”

“Good, now go get yourself beautiful and I’ll do the best I can with me.”

Liz laughed and headed to the mauve and pink bedroom on the right side of the great room, and it was that, great in every way.

The room was huge…there was a very large dining table with four chairs on each side. A matching buffet and china cupboard sat next to a wet bar on one side of the room and a very large living area was on the other side of the room. The entire suite had its own balcony that stretched from one bedroom, across the span of the dining room, living room and the next bedroom. There were lounge chairs out there and a large telescope.

God, who designed this place Liz thought. It was one long space divided into the sleeping quarters, one on each side, and the main area sat right in the center of all of it. If it was on the lower level of the hotel it would probably take up half of the entire one side of the building. This was unbelievable. She was giddy with happiness. She was happy for many reasons. She was happy to be going home to a home without Don Adams. She was happy that her boss was pleased with her work. She was happy that Philip Evans was taking care of her legal matters and she was happy to have Max in her life again. She couldn’t imagine being any happier. Life was wonderful.

Liz showered in her own beautiful marble bathroom, everything was marble, from floor to ceiling. She used the hotel’s oils and soaps and she felt absolutely elegant. She used the hairdryer and curling iron at the marble dressing table in the bathroom, not even thinking about unpacking her own. Then she did her makeup extra special and left her hair in soft loose curls. She left them hang loose down her back pulling the sides back ever so slightly because she didn’t want to hide the beautiful earrings Max had given her. When she exited her room Max was waiting for her. He took one look and gulped; she was gorgeous. He immediately felt an unusual tightening behind the zipper of his pants and stifled a moan. God, he felt like an out of control, hormonal teenager. He hadn’t had that happen in many, many years and he was helpless to stop it.

Liz smiled at him and came over and held the necklace out in her hand and turned around for Max to put it on for her. She lifted her hair and when Max reached around her shoulders to place the necklace on her he got a whiff of something he hadn’t smelled the other night. He started feeling a little light headed and that zipper got tighter. All he wanted to do was kiss her, very sensual kisses along her neck, her shoulders, her ear; wherever he could reach. He shook it off, cleared his throat and asked…

“Liz, are you wearing perfume tonight?” This was something Liz never did, she always smelled of strawberries and vanilla.

“No Max, it’s the oil in the bathroom. I took a whiff of it and just had to try it, do you like it?”

“I love it…Its so subtle and so exotic. We have to get some of that, it suits you.” And he smiled.

“I’ve already written it down Max…I intend to get some as soon as I can. I love it and I’m so glad you think it’s nice. Are you ready?”

“Yes, I’m ready.” And with that Max said a very sincere prayer to anyone who was listening to help him get through this night without embarrassing himself.

As Liz and Max headed down in the elevator Liz asked Max if they were going to eat at the hotel and Max said “absolutely, unless you want to go somewhere else?”

“No, here’s fine Max, I just wondered if you’d changed your mind.”

When they exited the elevator there wasn’t a single person in the lobby whose eyes weren’t on Liz and she wasn’t even aware of it. Max Evans was so proud that he was just bursting with pride. He wanted to fold her into him and squeeze. She is just as wonderful as she ever was…thank you God, thank you, thank you, thank you.

It wasn’t but a minute after Max gave his name than they were seated at a lovely table overlooking the park across the street. Max ordered a nice bottle of wine to go with their dinner and Liz even took a few sips of it simply because she felt so special…

“Thank you Max, for everything. For last week, for this and for asking me to the series; I am having so much fun. This is all so wonderful! Thank you.”

“Liz, please, you don’t have to thank me…I have enjoyed this every bit as much as you have. You need to know that I would be at home alone reading or watching a movie as I dozed…so please, don’t thank me. I love being able to do this for both of us. Just let me make you happy Liz, can you do that?”

“Okay, it’s a deal we will enjoy each other and quit thanking.”

“Okay, no more thank-yous.”

And with that Liz looked out the window to enjoy the sights once more. Max just smiled at her and hoped that this was a first of many times like this.

*~*~*

Liz and Max finished a wonderful meal and then Max led her into the beautiful ball room of the hotel and ordered her a virgin Pina Colada and he had a scotch on the rocks. They sat and enjoyed the music for awhile and then Max stood and held his hand out for Liz to dance; she didn’t even comment this time. She took his hand without reservation and he pulled her in close to him and took her right hand in his left and held it next to his heart as he pulled her body closer with his right arm. She rested her left arm about his shoulder and let her hand fall around his neck. She rested her head on his shoulder and relaxed right into him and allowed him to lead her all over the dance floor. It was one of the best feelings either of them had ever had.

They were totally lost in each other and when the music stopped she looked up into Max’s eyes and he quietly led her back to their table where he threw a bill down, Liz picked up her purse and they left the ballroom hand in hand. Max knew he wasn’t going to do anything tonight but he also knew that he had to get out of that atmosphere as quickly as possible or all bets were off.

He led Liz to the elevator and when they got inside Liz looked up and gave Max the strangest smile. She didn’t know how to handle these feelings she was having and she didn’t want to scare Max off but she didn’t know if she was ready for any kind of accelerated relationship with him either. She just wanted to get used to being with her friend again and Max felt this from her.

He could be patient but not with her in his arms, feeling her move against him like that. That was just more than he could handle right now and Liz seemed to sense that. So he returned her smile, lifted her hand to his mouth and kissed her knuckles, then took her back to their rooms. It was about 1:00 a.m. when they looked at the clock and Max asked Liz if she would like to watch a movie or something.

“Oh God no Max…we have a very busy day tomorrow…or today that is. I think I would just like to get ready for bed. Thank…” That’s all the further she got. Max put his finger to her lips…”I thought we agreed, no more thank yous.”

“We did…but I have to say thank you for a lovely evening Max…I will see you in the morning…are we going out for breakfast?”

Max smiled at her and said “No Liz, we’ll eat in our room and take advantage of this lovely dining room before we head out. We catch the tour bus right downstairs in the lobby. Do you have a hat and a warm sweater? We will be on the top of the bus so you might need something warm until it warms up out there.”

“I have my Phillies sweat shirt and baseball cap with me is that good enough?”

“No, I think you need one from New York. We’ll stop at the gift shop before we leave and get you fixed up like a tourist…okay?”

“Okay Max…whenever we wake up okay.”

“Okay Liz, good night”…and max stepped in closer, took her by the shoulders and gave her a very gentle hug and kissed her on the cheek then headed to his room for the night.

‘Oh God Max, I wish I were a little more like Tess…I sure wouldn’t be going to my own room tonight.’ But then she thought about it a little more as she took her dress off…’If I were like Tess I wouldn’t be here.’

She went to the mirror to remove her necklace and couldn’t work the safety clasp no matter how hard she tried. She grabbed her robe and put it on then headed back out to the great room past the dining room and living room and knocked on Max’s door…Max opened it in a split second…he had his shirt already pulled loose of his pants and it was unbuttoned half way down, his bare chest showing through the V of the opening.

Liz licked her lips and then looked up into Max’s eyes and they looked very… heavy…”Max, I can’t seem to get the clasp loose on my necklace, can you…?” And as she turned around she could have sworn she heard Max groan but she ignored it. She turned, Max handed her the necklace, turned her toward the door, smacked her on the bottom and sent her on her way. She giggled as she left and went to her own room and finished getting ready for bed.

‘She’s killing me’, Max thought to himself, ‘absolutely killing me’. Then he turned around and finished getting undressed.

*~*~*

The next morning Liz was up at 8:00 a.m. and leisurely stretched out and curled up into a little ball to watch the sky rise of the city through the patio doors of her room. It looked like another beautiful day out there and after enjoying the view for a while she finally got up and showered. She put on a pair of her new jeans and the new tennis shoes she had purchased at the mall. If they were going sightseeing she would need good walking shoes and she was super glad she thought to buy them. She put on her rose colored tee shirt and put her hair up into a high pony tail then she applied some makeup because they were probably going to be going shopping for a dress for this evening and she wanted to look somewhat nice.

She opened her bedroom door and Max was already seated at the dining room table having some coffee and reading something. He motioned for her to join him. She walked across the short expanse to the chair he was sitting in and bent down and kissed him on the cheek…He wanted to grab her so badly and pull her into his lap and ravish her that he was actually in pain but he just smiled and patted the hand that was resting on his shoulder. (The man deserved a gold medal for restraint)

“Coffee?” Max asked

“Mmmm Hmmm” Liz replied and Max filled the empty cup sitting next to the coffee pot on the table. I ordered a little of everything thinking we could have a small buffet. Does anything look good to you?”

“Oh Max, it all looks wonderful. I think I might just sample a little of everything.”

“Good, dig in so we can get downstairs in time to get you a sweat shirt, what do you say?”

“I say great. Thank…”

“Uh uh uh Liz…no thank yous and huh-uh…no sorrys either. Okay is sufficient.”

“Okay Max…I’ll try to be good.”

Soon they were in the elevator and on their way to the gift shop and Max thought she looked too cute. His dad was right…that damned pony tail made her look 16 again…he didn’t want the people in the hotel thinking he was a cradle robber but then he thought anyone that was there last night knew better. Max led her to one of the many gift shops along the concourse and found the perfect flannel lined wind breaker with an apple embroidered on the left side and a cute little hat to match. It wasn’t a baseball cap but a little two inch brimmed sailor styled hat that matched the wind breaker and her tee shirt perfectly. Max bought himself a hat as well and they were on their way. Max already had a dark blue windbreaker on so he didn’t need another one. He had more than enough of them at home and besides he’d brought what he needed with him.

By the time they had finished their shopping a crowd had gathered in the front lobby awaiting the arrival of the tour bus.

They didn’t have long to wait and soon they were up top listening to the guide tell them stories about all the places they were passing. Liz had no idea that the big hotels across from Central Park were once the homes of people like the Vanderbilts and the Rockefellers. She turned around and looked at Max with big eyes and was about ready to say that his place was as big as these and he just smiled at her and said ‘shush’.

He knew exactly what she was thinking…he was thinking the same thing. They passed Central Park and then when they got to Broadway and saw all of the shops Max motioned to Liz that they were going to get off the bus for awhile and walk. She nodded and they got off with several other people. They strolled down the street taking it all in and when they came to a little boutique with some gorgeous gowns in the window Max steered Liz in to have a look.

“Max, do I need a gown?” Liz asked.

“No, but they probably have other clothes as well…Lets just have a look.”

“Okay.”

They started to look through the racks of dresses and toward the back of the store Liz spied a very light champagne colored dress with a matching coat. It was cocktail length, sleeveless with a form fitted bodice and straight skirt. It had a very thin self-belt around the waist. The coat was made of the same fabric as the dress but was lined with an almost root beer colored silk lining. It had a large stand up collar that was actually an extension of the lapels. It went up the entire front of the coat and wrapped around to the back of the neck. The back of the coat was split all the way up to about 8 inches from the neckline and had a large self-bow attached right at the joined seams. It was positively elegant and Liz loved it.

Max took it off the rack and handed it to the sales lady and asked her to help Liz try it on. He removed the price tags from the garment before handing it to the sales clerk and the clerk smiled at Max and led Liz to the dressing room in the back of the shop. There were some comfortable looking couches for patrons to sit in and Max made himself comfortable. Pretty soon Liz came out in her tennis shoes and this gorgeous dress and Max stifled a laugh as he asked…

“Hey ‘Daisy Mae’ do you have any plans for this evening?”

“Why Abner and me are headed out to the ball sir…why do you ask?”

Max finally chuckled and asked the clerk if they had any shoes in the shop…

“Of course sir.” And she looked at Liz and asked “What size maam?”

“Size six.” Liz said and with that the clerk disappeared behind a curtained doorway and came back with a pair of size six shoes and evening bag an exact match to the dress.

She removed the shoes from the box before handing them to Liz and Liz sat next to Max and proceeded to take off her tennis shoes and socks and put on the strappy three inch high heels.

She took her pony tail and caught the tail under the rubber band in the back of her head and turned around and looked at Max. She raised her eyebrows in question and Max nodded yes. This was easier than he thought it would be.

He took the purse up to the register along with the other tags to make the purchase while Liz got back into her own clothes and he spied a beautiful pair of princess cut diamond ear rings done in a yellow gold setting in the jewelry case. He pointed to them and the clerk nodded and removed the ear rings for Max to look at…He peeled the price tag from the back of the box and handed that to the clerk and asked if there might be a necklace that would match the ear rings. The clerk suggested a brooch with a princess cut diamond center and a starburst of baguettes surrounding the two carat center stone. Max looked at the brooch and loved it…then he asked…”are there ear rings to match the brooch”. The sales clerk smiled at Max and showed him the jackets to set the ear rings in. The jackets were done in baguettes that matched the brooch and he peeled the price tag off those as well and handed the clerk his platinum credit card. She looked at Max and said

“Congratulations on the game last Friday…how is her friend doing? Did he survive his pounding?”

Max gave her a sly grin…”He’s fine…his wife, my sister, was terrified that she would be next though and promptly hid behind my dad, but my brother-in-law survived. It really wasn’t as bad as it looked, but she did have fun.”

“Yes it certainly looked that way.” Max asked the clerk to have the items delivered to their hotel for him and to have the bell man take them to their room. He gave the room number and the rest of the information and when Liz emerged from the dressing room carrying her dress, coat and shoes he asked her if she needed any stockings.

“Yeah, maybe I should have a backup pair just in case I get a run. I only brought one pair with me and I have them drying on the towel rack in my room…let’s be safe. One size small panty hose and one pair of thigh highs should do it.” Max smiled at the clerk who went to retrieve the items and Liz followed her to make sure she didn’t try to throw a pair of brown colored stockings in on her and then Liz spotted a very skimpy thong and held it up. She looked at it like it was something from a very bad bag of garbage. Max was watching her the whole time and had to laugh at the way she was eyeing those panties. Then Liz asked the sales clerk…

“Do girls find these things comfortable?” She looked as though she wouldn’t believe any answer but ‘no’.

“Well maam, I don’t know how comfortable they are but they certainly do buy enough of them. We can hardly keep them in stock.”

“Really…” And with that Liz put the thong back on the rack and picked one out to match her dress along with a bustier and a half slip along with a pair of regular French cut bikini panties just in case the thong was too much for her to handle and headed back to the checkout counter. Max just smiled. Liz took out her platinum credit card and handed it to the sales clerk and she shook her head no and said”It’s been taken care of maam.” And Liz looked at max and shook her head no…”Max, you can’t do this…it’s not right. Please, let me buy my own dress for this evening.”

“No Liz, I’m the one who decided where we were going, it’s not your fault you needed a new dress. So we’ll have no more discussion about it, it’s a done deal.”

“I am going to get even with you Max, just you wait.”

“Whatever you say Liz, now let’s go find a tour bus stop and continue our journey. Are you getting hungry yet?”

“Hungry, good God, with that breakfast we had we shouldn’t be hungry for a week.”

“Well maybe you won’t be hungry for a week but I sure as hell will now let’s find us a bus stop okay.”

“Okay, but what about the packages?”

“Oh, they’ll be delivered to the hotel in a little while. We don’t have to worry about them.”

“Are you sure Max?”

“Yes maam. He’s sure. Your dress will be waiting for you when you get back.” The sales clerk was just too happy to comply.

“Thank you.” Liz said and followed Max out of the store.

She had no idea how much Max had spent on that outfit but it was a bundle, she was sure of that. She needed to find something to get for him that he wouldn’t get for himself…she would give it some serious thought after she got home.

Soon they passed a street vendor selling hot dogs…”Come on Liz you have to try a hotdog.”

“Oh God Max, if you keep it up I’m going to look like a blimp before I ever get home.” Liz complained.

“Nah, you won’t, honest. Just one, okay?”

“Okay, just one.”

“Now what do you want on it?”

“Ketchup and Pickles.” Liz said…

“What! Come on Liz, you have to try more than that.”

“No… I don’t …it’s my hotdog and I want Ketchup and pickles.”

“Yes you do…come on…how about some kraut?”

“Bullshit Max…if I can’t have it the way I want it then I don’t want it.”

The vendor started laughing at the couple…he recognized Max immediately and the more he looked at the young woman he realized that she was the excited fan at Fridays’ game. Finally he couldn’t take it anymore…he didn’t want the young athlete to cause anyone to interrupt his fun so he just made up one dog with Ketchup and pickles and one with the works and handed the two their dogs.

“Here Max, let her have a bite of yours and then she can eat her own.” The vendor said as he handed Max the hotdogs. Max looked at the guy and grinned and told him,

“You know you are spoiling my fun … she’s a blast to fight with…we’ve had years of practice.”

“Yeah, I could tell by the way you were acting that this had to be an old friend. A new one would have let you have your way immediately, and eaten the damn dog even if she didn’t want to.”

“Yeah, you’re right…that’s what’s so great about old friends. There like old shoes, they just seem to fit.”

“Good analogy Max…I couldn’t have put it better myself.”

By the time Max and the vendor were finished talking Max was ready for another dog and believe it or not so was Liz. This time she asked for an Orange Crush as well and the vendor smiled and handed her the soda. She thanked him and then hit Max in the arm.

“What was that for?”

“For being an ass.” The vendor started to chuckle and Max looked at Liz with a warning look in his eye and she looked at him and said “there’s no pool to throw me in around here Max.”

“No, but there’s a pond in that park across the street Liz and it won’t be the same as the pool…it will be full of duck shit…is that what you want?”

“No m’lord!” And she curtsied.

“Liz, will you cut that out?”

“Maybe, how nice are you gonna’ be?”

“You’re gonna’ get nice…now cut it out.” And then Liz stuck her tongue out at Max and he started for her…”No Max you don’t want to do this in public…your image Max, think of your image. People know you Max…they’ll put it in the papers.”

“And what will the papers have to say about the renowned Doctor Parker being thrown into a duck pond in New York City after sticking her tongue out at her saintly friend?”

“Saintly friend my ass…all you do is throw me into water...can’t you do anything else?”

“Yes I can Liz but I don’t think you want to know what that is.” Now the vendor was really getting a kick out of this display as was a certain photographer across the street. The vendor pointed to the guy with the camera and Max grabbed Liz by the hand, reached into his pocket and handed the vendor a fifty and hailed a horse drawn carriage.

“Oh Max I’m so sorry, I don’t know what in the hell got into me back there… This is really a shock to me…and you have been so nice to me by bringing me here and planning this lovely trip. I am so sorry for bringing attention to us Max. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking.”

Max put his arm around Liz and pulled her close, “Liz, it’s okay. I was having a very good time with the bantering too and as long as you don’t mind seeing your name plastered across the headlines of the rags well, neither do I.”

“But Max, you are never plastered in those things.”

“How do you know Liz?”

“Because I check them out when I’m in the lines at the grocery store and at the hair salon.”

“Oh, you check the rags out to see what they are saying about me?”

“Yeah, pretty much. It was the only way I had of keeping up with you.”

“Oh.” Was all that Max had to say…damn Maria anyway. No, don’t damn Maria, we are not going to live in the past…only the here and now. One day at a time. Isn’t that what Liz said?

Max and Liz rode through Central park in the back of the buggy and Max took a chance. He took Liz’s hand and Liz did not pull away. They rode that way until they came to the other end of the park and then they walked to the place where they could catch the next tour bus and continue their journey.

They soon found themselves passing the “United Nations” building and Max wanted to know if Liz would like to go through it and she said she would rather do the Empire State Building today...then maybe tomorrow morning they could go over to the Statue of Liberty. Max said that sounded like a good plan and they continued on the bus until they came to the Empire State Building and got off again. Liz was really enjoying herself and so was Max. This was the first time Max had ever taken the tour and he was finding it as interesting as Liz was. He had been past so many of these places before and had no idea what the history was. He would have to do this more often.

*~*~*
After they finished their tour of the Empire State Building and had their pictures taken they boarded the bus again and lo and behold they came to Tiffany’s…the tour guide wanted to know if anyone would like to get off and Max took Liz by the arm and got her out of her seat and headed to the door of the bus.

“What are you doing Max? We can do Tiffany’s some other day.”

Max just shook his head no and they got off the bus…”We’re here, let’s do it”
Was all he said.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes (AU,M/L,MATURE) ch.26 9/25/14

Post by mary mary »

roswelllostcause: Yes they do...have you ever had a male friend that you were like that with? I did once, but not in a couple way but in a real "friend" way. One of the best relationships I think I ever had. :)
Carolyn: I agree with you, the man's patience is beyond belief...he has to be one frustrated dude right now but he'll live. :wink: I think it'll be worth the effort.
Eve: It's really strange how people will believe things...especially when it's coming from someone you think has your best interests at heart...and of course at the time Max really believed Maria and poor Liz, her mother really did a number on her. But I think it'll work out okay. I'm very happy you are enjoying this, it makes me feel good too... :D
Natalie: It's even getting to be a bigger Ahhhhh I think. :D

*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter: 26

And so they went into Tiffany’s. Liz’s eyes darted from one display to the next as she stood in one spot trying to take in the entire splendor in one glance. She smiled up at Max and then made her way from one show case to the other simply looking at all of the beautiful items on display. She suddenly stopped by one case and admired the most beautiful wedding rings she had ever seen in her life while Max admired Liz.

“See something you like?” Max asked.

“Oh. My. God. Max, they are all so beautiful…” she said.

“Well, try some on…it’s only for fun and I’m sure the clerk won’t mind showing you something…it’s not like they are overwhelmed with customers right now.” And so Liz did as Max suggested. She tried on diamond ring after diamond ring as she worked her way down a showcase and then she stopped, noticing one particular solitaire sitting on a little display stand of it’s own. The ring itself was about 1.5 carats, an emerald cut and there was a beautiful platinum jacket of baguettes and round diamonds to surround it sitting right next to it. She looked at the clerk and pointed it out to him and the clerk took it out and put it on Liz’s finger. It was a perfect fit and Liz looked at Max and smiled at him…” Isn’t it just the most precious thing you’ve ever seen Max?” Max looked at her smiled, “It certainly is Liz,” and he wasn’t talking about the ring.

Liz removed the ring and gave it back to the salesman and Max motioned for the clerk to take his credit card and pointed to the rings…the clerk looked flabbergasted…this was the last thing he thought he would see today and then he recognized the man with the hat…’OH.MY.GOD.’ thought the clerk and he took the rings and the credit card and disappeared.

While Max was busy with the ring purchase Liz discovered a beautiful tie clasp in platinum with four square cut diamonds sitting there lined up in graduated sizes running from one end of the clasp to the other in beveled settings. This was just what Max needed for that beautiful silver tie he had on the other night with that charcoal shirt and black suit. Liz noticed Max was busy over at the other end of the store talking to another clerk so she motioned for the man behind this counter and pointed to the tie clasp and handed him her platinum card. The Clerks in Tiffany’s could not believe these people dressed in Jeans, windbreakers and casual hats spending small fortunes on each other. Their commission checks would be large this month… Soon Liz’s clerk came over to her and handed her a receipt to sign and gave her a small package which she put in her purse. She signed for the tie clasp and proceeded to continue to check out the other items in the store. Max took his purchase and stuck it in the inside pocket of his jacket and zipped it up and then went looking for Liz. He spotted her over at the crystal display and went up to her…”See anything you like in here…”

“Nah, nothing I want to take with me. Are you ready to head back? How much time do we have before the show?”

“Oh we’ll make it okay…do you want to grab a sandwich before we head out?”

“No, I’m good…how about you…can you wait until we get to the hotel? We can always get something from room service.”

“Room service sounds great…” and they caught the next tour bus and headed back to their hotel, Max sat with a contented smile on his face and his arm draped lazily across the back of Liz’s seat and Liz sat with an excited smile and a twinkle in her eyes.

*~*~*

When they got back to the hotel it was close to six o’clock which meant they had about two hours to get to the theater…Max stopped at the desk and scheduled them for a tour to the statue of liberty tomorrow and then placed an order for a couple of grilled ham and Swiss sandwiches on rye to be delivered to the room ASAP. The desk clerk said of course and placed both orders immediately. Liz waited for Max by the elevator and asked him when he finally got there…”What time is the show Max?”

“It starts at eight. We have time, we’ll take a cab to the theatre and then we can walk to the restaurant if it isn’t too cold. How does that sound?”

Liz looked up into Max’s eyes and smiled the biggest smile she was capable of…”It sounds marvelous Max.” and Max wrapped his arm around her shoulders and gave a tight squeeze.

“Good, now let’s check out your dress and make sure it’s ready to wear. We still have time to have it pressed if need be.”

“Oh good, I think there’s an iron and ironing board in my closet if it needs touched up. We don’t have to go calling housekeeping or anything like that Max. I am quite capable of pressing my own dress.”

“Okay Liz, whatever you say.” Max said with a smile. And soon they were on the top floor and walking into their rooms. Liz went and checked the dress which was hanging very neatly in the front of her closet and when she took it down she noticed the label. Oh my God…wait til Max sees this.

“Max!” She yelled and Max came into her room on a dead run, his heart was in his mouth…

“What’s wrong?” He was terrified.

“Nothing, look…” And she held out the label for Max to read. “Isabel” was all it said and Max smiled and looked at Liz, still shaking…”She’s good isn’t she?” Liz smiled back at Max and said “She’s more than that Max…they even carry accessories for her line.”

Max’s heart swelled just a little bit, he was so proud of his sister…her talent was finally paying off and Alex had been just wonderful about it all…putting up with the late nights and the many trips to buy fabric and all of the trade shows. It finally paid off. Life was good…Max would have to add an extra prayer of thanks tonight when he went to bed. God was certainly good to all of them and he was happy. Even Liz was finally getting a break.

About that time there was a knock at the door and someone was saying room service. Max reached into his pocket for a bill and opened the door. There was a beautiful tray with two sandwiches and a very nice fruit platter as well as a pot of coffee. Max thanked the waiter, tipped him and called Liz from the bedroom. She already had her jeans and shirt off and was wearing nothing but her robe.

“Did you have to try your dress on again?” Max asked.

“No…I was getting ready to take a bath in that beautiful oil again. Oh, doesn’t this look lovely…thank y..”

“Don’t say it. Just sit down and enjoy it okay.”…Max gave her a ‘you promised’ look…

“Okay, but it’s nice.”

“Yes it is… nice.” Max agreed and gave her a nice warm smile…’Lord I wish she had her clothes on’ was all he could think…he really needed to get himself under control…oh it was going to be a long night…’God help me…please!’

*~*~*

About 45 minutes later Liz was bathed, hair dried and curled…she did her hair up in a very pretty French twist this evening and she had applied more make up than usual, she looked positively radiant. Next she was ready to put all of her new clothes on. She started to unwrap the packages on her bed and took out the sexy thong she had thrown in for the hell of it and decided to give it a try. She put it on and thought to herself ‘this isn’t so bad’ and then reached for the bustier, put it on and she really liked the effect of it. It lifted her up and gave the appearance of another cup size…’hey this stuff is not so bad after all’ she thought to herself. She stood and looked in the mirror at herself and was wishing she could find a spider or something so she could scream for Max again, then she mentally slapped herself and giggled. ‘Not bad Liz’ she thought, ‘not bad at all.’

Next she went for the thigh highs and the half-slip then the dress. She opened the shoe box and there were two smaller boxes in there with the shoes.

She opened these and her breath caught in her throat and she grabbed at her heart. “Oh My!” came out of her mouth before she even had a chance to think. When did he get these? They were positively enchanting. The ear rings and the jackets were beyond anything she had ever seen and the brooch that matched was unreal. That thing had to have at least 4 carats of diamonds in it. ‘Oh My! He’s lost his ever lovin’ mind…Oh My God! How can I ever repay this?’ she thought. She knew it was futile to argue with him so she put the ear rings on and attached the brooch to the left lapel of her coat and laid it out on the bed to just look at and admire. It was beautiful. She slipped her feet into her shoes…and when she opened the purse to transfer some things she might need, there inside the purse, was a thank you note from the Dress Shoppe along with a pair of elbow length champagne gloves to complete her ensemble. She felt like the most elegant lady on earth. The diamond tie clasp seemed so insignificant against all of this…but she picked up the tiny box that she had removed from her purse and headed out to the great room.

When she opened the door Max was standing there in that black suit he had worn to dinner with the folks back in Philadelphia and he had on his charcoal shirt that she had laundered for him…he was wearing his silver tie and his black leather shoes. He looked good enough to eat…As a matter of fact Liz almost said ‘yummy’ out loud, God…now I know what the term ‘eye candy’ means…she walked over to him and he was mesmerized to say the least…but he never moved…he couldn’t take his eyes off her and as she walked up to him he got the strangest look on his face.

“Liz, what are you doing?” He asked in a concerned voice…

“Nothing Max…take your tie clasp off okay?” She said as she gazed into those gorgeous honey colored eyes…oh to be like Tess just once she thought…I’d have him undressed so fast he wouldn’t know what hit him!

“Why? Don’t you like it?” Max asked, trying to calm his nerves, just a little would help he thought to himself.

And Liz opened the tiny box she was holding that said Tiffany’s on it and Max looked at her with questioning eyes and did as she asked…Liz took the tie clasp with the 5 diamonds in the beveled setting and attached it to his tie in the exact same spot that Max had the other tie clasp attached and then stood back and looked at it. She thought it looked quite nice with the tie and shirt and then she stood on her tip toes and gently kissed Max on the lips and said…

“Thank you Max…for everything. And please don’t be mad at me for breaking my promise but you deserve many many thank you’s.”

Max looked down into her beautiful brown eyes and then walked across the room to a mirror and looked at the tie clasp and then it was his turn…”Why did you do this Liz?”

“WHY? Dear God in heaven Max…would you look at the money you have spent on me in the past two weeks…take the damned tie clasp and say ‘thanks’…yes Max, just say ‘thanks’” Liz was almost livid…what was wrong with him?

Max looked at her for a minute and he just wanted to grab her and hold her to him forever but instead he smiled and said “Thanks Liz…I will cherish it forever. It’s beautiful.”

“You’re welcome Max…now let’s get going before we’re late.”

“Yes maam…oh and by the way Liz, you look positively gorgeous.”

Liz turned around, scrunched her shoulders together and gave Max one of her killer smiles and went to retrieve her coat, gloves and purse. She felt ‘positively gorgeous’, and they were off.

The people in the lobby all smiled when the young couple got off the elevator and headed through the door and into a waiting limo…they were so beautiful to look at that the entire lobby was in awe of them. The desk clerk wanted so badly to tip off the paparazzi but he knew if he did that it would mean his job but their picture belonged somewhere… The world shouldn’t be deprived of that kind of beauty.

After the show Max and Liz walked to the restaurant a couple of blocks from the theater and were very surprised at how warm it was…the autumn leaves were falling and the air was just a little crisp but it was warm.

They arrived at the restaurant just in time for their table to be ready for them and they sat overlooking the city. The restaurant was on the top floor of the building and the view was spectacular…the room rotated just like the space needle in Seattle, Washington. Liz was very impressed with Max’s choice. He explained to her that he had never been to this particular restaurant either but his travel agent assured him that it was a good place and the atmosphere was wonderful. He would have to remember to tell the agent that she was right.

When they had finished their meal they headed back down in the elevator and Max wanted to know if Liz was tired…she said yes and no. She thought she was more hyped up than anything. It had been a very exciting day. She had seen so many wonderful sights and the presents she had been given left her speechless. Max took her arm and wrapped it around his and led her out into the streets of New York at close to midnight.

“Do you feel like walking?” Max asked.

“Not with all of these diamonds on I don’t.” She replied with her eyes as big and round as the moon.

Max looked down into those brown eyes and he started another melt down, ‘oh God, please’ this was becoming a constant phrase in his mind…then he suggested they take the limo to Central Park and hail a horse and buggy. “Okay, that sounds like something fun.” Liz said…and she hung onto Max’s arm for dear life. He was her life but she had to behave herself…He never once acted like he wanted to be anything but her friend she thought ‘and if his friendship is all that I can have then that’s what I will accept.’

They got into the limo and Max told the driver to take them to Central Park and when they got out Max told him to meet them at the other side in about an hour. The driver said okay and was off to get himself some coffee and to read the evening paper while these two played ‘patty cake’ until the wee hours.

It was while he was reading the paper that a picture of the couple he just dropped off stared back at him on the front page of the sports section. He knew it was them…they were standing in front of a hot dog vending machine arguing…they sure as hell weren’t arguing now he thought. He sat there and enjoyed the story about the baseball player and his friend the doctor sightseeing in New York and then he decided to just lay the paper on the backseat for them to find when he picked them up at 1:00 a.m. He made sure the picture was on top for them to see.

So about 1:00 a.m. the limo driver pulled into a parking space next to the entrance of Central Park and waited for the young couple who he now knew as Max and Liz and it was just a short time before they came up behind him and got out of the carriage.

The driver got out of the car and held the door open for Max, then Liz and when Max went to slide across the seat he picked up the paper to toss it and the light from the interior of the limo was enough for him to catch a glimpse of what was on the page in front of him. “Oh shit” he thought. Oh well, there wasn’t anything they could do about it now. At least the ‘dynamic duo’ was in custody and she was safe from them. I hope this doesn’t upset her he thought.

Max carefully folded the paper over and nodded to the driver through the rear view mirror when he got back into the limo. Max gave the guy a nice tip when they arrived back at the hotel and when they entered the lobby it was packed with people just wanting to get a glimpse of the young couple. The desk clerk had made it known to quite a few of the patrons that the couple had two bedrooms in their suite and they were registered under their own sir names so he was sure there were no improprieties…most of the people just looked at him like he was living in a pipe dream and others could have cared less. This was Max Evans and he would be playing in the World Series next week and they just wanted to see him up close and personal.

Liz looked up at Max when they entered and he held her arm close to him and proceeded to walk past the people swarming around. They allowed them to pass by without incident and Max smiled a warm smile and said thank you to them…”Be sure to watch the games…We’ll be doing our best.” And with that he led Liz to the elevator and pushed “close”.

“What was all of that about Max?”

And Max held the paper out for her to see…”Oh Max, I am so sorry…I should have eaten the damned kraut and kept my mouth shut.”

Max roared at her…she just never stopped…”Liz, this wasn’t your fault. I thought we could pull it off but I guess I was wrong. We did pretty good though…we head back tomorrow and we did just about everything we wanted to without getting caught. We’ll take the car to the pier tomorrow to catch the ferry over to Ellis Island and that way we can eliminate a limo being followed or paparazzi on a tour bus…what do you say?”

“I say that sounds fantastic Max…oh…and Max, do you have someplace to put all of this jewelry? I surely don’t want anything bad happening to it.”

“Neither do I Liz…we can put it under the spare tire in the trunk, how’s that?”

“Oh, you’re so smart…sometimes I could just squeeze you.” And she started to giggle…Max was not giggling or smiling or laughing…Max wanted squeezed but he managed to behave himself all night and he would continue to behave himself… he hoped.

After they got back into their suite they both headed to their rooms to get ready for bed. Liz put all of her new clothes in the garment bag they came in and packed up most of the things she had except for what she was going to wear tomorrow and then she headed over to Max’s room and knocked on his door. She had all of her jewelry back into their own individual boxes and she put the boxes into her new purse which she put inside of the shoe box with her new shoes. Max opened the door and looked at her standing there with her little treasure chest in her hands and he melted.

There she stood, face scrubbed clean, in a pair of pajamas and in her bare feet holding a shoe box that contained a small fortune in diamonds. Anyone looking at that innocent face would never believe what was in that box. Max had on his dress pants with the belt hanging loose and a pair of boxers on…that was it. His eyes started to grow very dark and Liz looked at his lips and started to lick hers. ‘Oh Good Christ…get her out of here please’ Max begged silently for help yet again.

“Max, here’s my jewelry if you want to put it with your stuff now then we won’t have to worry about it in the morning.” Liz said, wanting him to kiss her but hoping he wouldn’t…she didn’t know if she was still married or not, and although she knew the marriage wasn’t legal she still felt married…even if it had never been consummated. No one knew that but her and Don. He had told her that he had a medical condition from the service and was receiving treatment for it. She believed the bastard and now she was so glad she had but Max didn’t need to know this yet. Maybe he doesn’t care to know that she’s still a virgin…’please God, someday let him want me the way I want him.’ She prayed so hard she was almost in tears.

(God was a very busy man with these two…it was getting to be an extremely hard job trying to answer both of their prayers…but He would get it worked out.)

Max took the box from Liz and bent down and kissed her on the forehead and told her goodnight…”Good night Max…sleep tight.” And with that she padded back to her own room and Max just stood there shaking…this is getting harder and harder he thought.

*~*~*

Liz crawled into her own bed and hunkered down under the beautiful down comforter and started to relive the wonderful day she’d had with Max. It was the most fun she’d had since before she left Roswell. She was sorry that the paparazzi had taken the picture of them at the hot dog stand but it was cute the way they wrote it up. What else could they do…all they really knew was that Max and she were in the vicinity of New York and it looked as though they were having fun…Well they certainly were having that. She smiled and was asleep in no time.

Across the room there was a very tense young man with a very large erection that he was trying to get control of. Finally he got up and took a cold shower…that only made it worse because he couldn’t get the reason for the cold shower out of his mind and finally he just relieved himself. He hated doing that…he felt that at his age he should have more control over himself but when it came to Liz Parker he never did have that much control. He always wanted her but it was getting worse by the day, he really had to do something about this he thought and he had to do it quickly. ‘What if she doesn’t feel the same way?’ he asked himself. I keep getting these conflicting signals from her…I really want to know where I stand with her…I need to know damn it, I need to know quickly before I lose my mind. And finally Max fell asleep…it wasn’t a very restful sleep but it was sleep just the same.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes (AU,M/L,MATURE) ch.27 10/02/14

Post by mary mary »

Roswelllostcause: :D Max is trying very hard to be the good guy here, I think he succeeds...to a degree. :)
Natalie: That dam is just about to overflowing. enjoy... :)
Eve: You are right on the mark with the 'un,deux,trois,' scenario. I truly believe we can thank TV for that theory. As for Max and Liz, I think a little class always works. As for the Motorcycle story, LOL, I like that one too. By the way, the picture of the guy on the bike, that's my oldest grandson. He does desert racing. He's the older brother of the baseball player. The youngest brother, 21, does down hill mountain bike racing. :roll: I ride a rocking chair myself. :wink: :D
Carolyn: I'm pretty sure the annulment comes through this chapter and Max and Liz have a great confession for each other...but in a romantic way, YET! :wink:

Chapter: 27

The next morning Liz woke quite early and did her usual roll over to look out the sliding doors at the city sky line. She watched the sun come up between the buildings. She realized that it wasn’t time to get up, she was sure that Max would still be sleeping, but she couldn’t get comfortable so she got up and took her shower.

She called the front desk and asked if they knew where she could purchase some of the oils, soaps and bubble bath that were in the bathrooms and they told her they had it in their gift shop. She wanted to know what time the gift shop opened and they said nine but if she wanted some of the toiletries they would be glad to bring them up to her. She said thank you and proceeded to place a very large order of various fragrances, a couple cases actually. She would give these items as Christmas gifts to the girls at work and also a lot of it for herself. Then she asked if she could order more on line if she needed it and they said of course. “Great.” She said and then she gave them her credit card number and hung up.

She proceeded to get herself dressed for the day in her jeans and sweat shirt…the weather man said it looked like it might rain so she wanted to be prepared. She put on some make up, it made her feel good, something she hadn’t done in a long time and then she started packing her suitcase and getting her garment bag ready to leave. She opened the door to her room expecting to be the only one up and there was Max all dressed and ready for the day…she looked at him with a puzzled expression and he looked at her and said “What?”

“I don’t know, you just look a little strange…anything wrong?” she asked.

“No, nothing’s wrong sweetheart…did you sleep well?”

“Yes, not very long, but well. No nightmares or anything.”

“Oh, are you prone to nightmares?” Max asked with concern in his voice.

“Well yes, I used to be, but I haven’t had any in the past two weeks…funny huh?”

Max smiled, “I’m glad. I ordered breakfast if that’s okay with you?

“Of course it is silly, why wouldn’t it be?” And about that time her cell phone rang…it was Philip…she put him on speaker phone because she was sure he had seen the picture by now.

“Good morning Philip…how are you?” Liz smiled into the phone.

“Oh I’m great Liz…I see you two can’t control your tempers. Are you enjoying New York?” He asked.

“Oh my yes, it’s wonderful. We went to a show last night and then took a midnight ride through central park in a horse drawn carriage and we are going to the statue of liberty today. What’s up besides checking on the delinquents?”

“Well, the judge in Connecticut wants to corroborate Don’s testimony regarding our marriage…there are a few items he would like to be clear on before signing the annulment papers. He is trying to make sure that what Don is saying is true…because if it is true and the annulment is granted he has talked himself out of a percentage of your estate.

“We haven’t been able to contact his wife to make sure that she never got a divorce…and even if she did he was still married to her when he married you so there are a lot of unanswered questions. Can you call the judge right away and talk to him. I have his number right here for you.”

“Of course I can Philip. I’m sure the world knows where I am now…me and my big mouth.”

Philip laughed at her and said “Yes, you do get a little carried away.” Max started to laugh when he heard that and his father asked if that was Max.

“Yes Philip, I have you on speaker phone, we are waiting for our breakfast to get here and then we are on our way. I’ll call the judge right now and answer any and all of his questions to the best of my ability. Is there anything I should be aware of?”

“No, honey, you just tell the truth and I am sure everything is going to be fine. Goodbye now and have fun…good bye son.”

“Goodbye Philip” “Goodbye dad.” And Liz hung up. She dialed the number of the judge in Connecticut immediately and identified herself to the person that answered the phone.

Soon a friendly sounding gentleman spoke into the phone and identified himself as Judge John Stevens. Liz still had the phone on speaker…she wanted Max to hear any and all of the conversation that was going to take place. Maybe she wouldn’t have to do anything more than answer questions for him when this was all over.

“Doctor Parker, it has been brought to my attention that you may have been in a marriage contract that was illegal and the subject of an annulment could be granted for multiple reasons. Is it true that Donald Adams is also married to someone else at this time?”

“Your honor, I don’t know the answer to that honestly. When Donald and I married I thought at the time that we were in love…at least I thought I was. I certainly wasn’t aware of another spouse, or lover for that matter.”

“What made you decide to question this relationship?”

“The cold, unfeeling, uncaring one sided living arrangement of my life became too much to handle and I walked out. I approached a lawyer friend; I told him my story and asked him to get me a divorce.”

“I see. We have been in contact with Donald Adams and he is very adamant about the fact that the marriage was never consummated and therefore is not binding.”

Max’s eyes shot up and looked at Liz in utter disbelief…is this true he thought.

“Yes sir that’s true. He told me that he had been injured in the service and that he was being treated for the problem and that he was sure that we could eventually have children. I believed him your honor…I had no reason not to.”

“I see…Well Doctor Parker, it has been a pleasure to talk with you, I am signing this annulment as we speak, and Doctor Parker…You have never been married as far as the state of Connecticut is concerned…Mr. Adams has told us the same story but we found it very hard to believe. You lived with him for over a year and a half and the man never touched you, unreal, absolutely unreal.

“We know about the illicit affair with Miss Harding and we will be getting in touch with you regarding her soon. There seems to be some thought that she may be mentally disturbed, and we need witnesses to testify on her behalf. Do you happen to know anyone who would be willing to come forth and testify as to her mental state?” The judge was fishing now. He knew that Miss Harding was acquainted with the Parkers, Evanses and DeLucas from Roswell.

“Yes your honor…there are several of us who believe that she is mentally deranged and I for one would be more than glad to testify on her behalf.”

“Doctor Parker, you do know that if she is found mentally unstable that she will not be prosecuted for her part in your attempted murder.”

“Yes, your honor, I know this…but if she can be helped then she should be helped. It’s too bad no one believed us when we were kids. We all knew she had problems; they were so easy to spot even though we didn’t know at the time what those problems were. But when we told adults about what we thought they all pooh-poohed us and sent us on our way. So yes, I will be more than glad to testify on her behalf. I am sure there are others that will as well. I don’t like what she did but these were not the actions of a sane person your honor.”

“I see. Doctor Parker, I am looking forward to meeting you in person. You have been the highlight of my morning. Enjoy New York and tell Mr. Evans good luck for me.”

Liz giggled “You saw the paper…I’ll tell him your honor and I’m sure he will do his best. Thank you.”

“Thank you and good bye.”

Max looked at Liz and then he did what he had been wanting to do for two weeks but for entirely different reasons this time. He stood up, picked her up, and sat down on the couch with her in his lap. He put her head on his shoulder and wrapped his arms around her, and with his lips on her forehead, he said in a very soft voice…”He never touched you?”

“No.” And he kissed her forehead…

“And you never questioned him at all; you took what he said as gospel and lived like that?”

“Yes.” He kissed her forehead again…

“God Liz, what took you so long to wake up?”

“I don’t know…but when I saw you in that interview after one of the games something made me find you.”

“Thank God.” Was all Max said…then there was a knock at the door and Max stood up, sat Liz down on the couch and headed to the door…there were two men there, one with three large boxes of toiletries and another with a breakfast cart. He tipped both men and then headed to the table for breakfast.

He gave Liz a big smile and motioned for her to come and eat with him. She smiled back and did as beckoned. Then Max had to ask…

“Are you really going to testify on her behalf?”

“Yes, and I hope that you, Isabel, Maria and Michael will also. She needs help Max…she always has and if someone would have seen this years ago maybe she wouldn’t be in the pickle she’s in now.”

“You are something else Liz Parker and I want you to know something, I love you. And when this whole fiasco is all settled I want you to think about me on a more serious level.

“I think we are good together Liz, I think we always have been. I know this is not the best time to be talking about a new relationship but it seems to me that in our case it never has been a good time so I am going to take a chance and throw all caution to the wind and tell you once and for all, Liz Parker, I Love you.

“I am in love with you; I have always been in love with you. You don’t have to agree or disagree with me and I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable about any of this but I really need you to know that I love you.”

“I love you too, now eat your breakfast.”

Max just smiled at Liz and ate his breakfast…’oh this is so good!’ he thought to himself. ‘Yes, so good’.

“So, I see you found a supply of the good smelling oils.” Max was feeling positively giddy inside.

“I certainly did…I bought some for the girls at work for Christmas…I think they will like it. Just think the whole place can smell like body oil.” Liz felt as though a weight had been lifted from her shoulders and she could finally breathe.

Max laughed at her and continued eating his breakfast…this has been one of the best mornings of his life…he never touched her, HE.NEVER.TOUCHED.HER. Was all he could think of. Oh God, there I go again. NO, not now…not now…I don’t want another cold shower…not now…down boy, down.

And he thought about the coming ball games and all thoughts of sex left his body immediately.

“You know what Liz?”

“No Max, what?”

“I think I know what I’m going to do with the estate. I am going to open a clinic for mentally challenged children. I am going to see if we can help these kids before something like what has happened to Tess takes place. If we can get them young enough maybe we can prevent a lot of unhappiness in the world.”

“You know Max that sounds wonderful. I have had a dream for a very long time to try and do a study on subjects with these kinds of problems and maybe between the two of us we may come up with a way to help. Wouldn’t that be fantastic?”

Liz was so excited she almost forgot to breathe. Max just looked at her in disbelief. It would be marvelous to open a facility like the estate to these types of children. We have the ideal place to bring them.

They really needed to sit down with someone that knew enough about these types of problems and iron out all of the details. He knew a few professors that he thought may be able to help and he was certain that Liz could come up with some help for the medical side of the problems. Oh this was going to be wonderful.

Soon they were finished with their breakfast and Max called the front desk to cancel his tour reservations…they would drive to the ferry themselves.

He asked that his car be brought around and to send up a bell man. He and Liz checked to make sure they had everything and waited for the bellman with the luggage cart. Liz carried her purse over her shoulder and she had a death grip on the shoe box, Max just smiled at her. She had a huge smile for him as well and they were on their way.

Max lifted the spare tire compartment in the trunk and put the shoe box in it, replaced the cover and then placed the luggage on top of that. He asked Liz if it was okay to lay the garment bag over the luggage and she said of course. There was no need to hang anything up…she wouldn’t be needing it today.

Max had put a couple of signed baseballs in his jacket pocket before leaving the room and handed them to the bellman. He informed him that one was for the female night clerk and he could keep the other. The bellman smiled and thanked Max then bid him a good day. Max smiled and returned the sentiment and he and Liz drove off in the Jag. Oh how she did like that car.

Off to the statue of liberty…Max could only smile…oh this was a good day.

*~*~*
y

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes (AU,M/L,MATURE) ch.28 10/09/14

Post by mary mary »

Roswelllostcause: You're too cute too... :D
Carolyn: Yep, things are moving right along here. :D As for me, I'm just dealing. :roll: Thanks!
Eve: I think they'll get it all figured out...and that was a "rocking chair" not a wheel chair...I agree, I can't see me in one of those either but we do what we have to do sometime. :)

thanks guys

Chapter: 28

They were back at the estate about 8:00 p.m. and unloading the car when Liz’s cell phone started to ring…she looked at Max with a quizzical expression and took the thing out of her purse and said, with a slight raise in pitch, “Hello? ”

She rested the phone between her shoulder and ear; the line was silent for a minute as she helped Max, then heard…”Hello Liz.”

“Mom?” Max took the garment bag from Liz and nodded toward the house; Liz nodded back and started to walk to the back door. She took her key that Max had given her and opened the door and held it as Max entered with some of their luggage…

“I see it didn’t take you long to walk out on your marriage.” Nancy accused.

Liz felt as though she had just been punched in the stomach…tears started to well up in her eyes and she headed for her room on a dead run. Max saw what her reaction was to the phone call and was right behind her…When he looked into her eyes his heart broke…he mouthed “What’s wrong?” He thought someone died…as far as Liz was concerned this was worse. She pushed the speaker button so that Max could hear her mother’s accusations and Max could not believe his ears…he grabbed the phone from its resting place on Liz’s lap and took it out into the hall and pushed the speaker button off.

“Mrs. Parker, I don’t know what planet you come from but there are a few things I think you need to hear. First of all, your daughter did not seek me out to have an illicit affair, I wish she had. She came here in fear of her life. The man that you are so hell bent on defending here married her in order to have her murdered…he is now in jail for this…we are still trying to sort through this fiasco. So hear me when I say this because I will never say it again. You haven’t taken the time to speak to your daughter in years and if you can’t speak to her in a kind and loving manner don’t ever call her again. You don’t deserve the right to the title ‘mother’. Is your husband aware of the relationship you have with Liz? I can’t imagine both parents being this cold and cruel.”

“Well, I never…” Nancy sputtered out…

“And as far as I am concerned you never will again.” And Max hung up on her.

Max went back into Liz’s room only to find her curled up into a little ball sobbing like a baby. He spooned in behind her, pulled her in as close as he could and brought the blanket over them both. He held and rocked her for what seemed like hours. Finally Liz’s breathing became shallow and steady and Max knew she had fallen to sleep.

He got up and covered her sleeping form as you would a small child and headed back downstairs to retrieve the rest of the luggage. He got the precious shoe box from under the spare tire in the trunk of the car and closed the garage behind him. He smiled to himself as he headed back to the house with her prized possessions…she wouldn’t even walk through the streets of New York with her ‘diamonds’ on, God, how he loved her.

When he got back into the house he locked up the back end and took notice of the suitcases and garment bag and then turned to his left and opened a door that looked like it led to a closet and stepped in. The elevator took him to the second floor where he opened another closet looking door and stepped out. He sometimes forgot the elevator was even there. ‘She’ll find it soon enough’ he thought. He took her suit case and garment bag to her room and hung the garment bag in the closet. She was still asleep; he put her shoe box on her dresser then he picked up his suitcase and headed to his room.

As he entered his room he noticed a flashing light emanating from his office and looked in…there on the fax machine was a copy of the annulment papers. ‘Dad is really getting pushy.’ he thought. Max grinned and put the papers on his desk. He would give them to her when she had gotten over the conversation with her mother…

My God, he had no idea the woman was such a bitch. She needed some serious psychological help too; maybe they could get group rates on her and Tess.

Maybe he needed to bring his dad up to speed on her actions…Jeff couldn’t possibly know what the hell that woman had been doing to her own child. So Max made a quick call to his dad…

“Hi son, are you home yet?”

“Yeah dad, we got in a couple of hours ago. Liz is asleep but I need you to do something for her dad. Nancy called just as we arrived home and when Liz answered the phone Nancy accused her of having an illicit affair with me.

“Dad, I took the phone from Liz, who was crying uncontrollably, and I sort of told Nancy off. I don’t think that Jeff Parker has any idea what that woman has been doing to Liz all of these years. Why don’t you have a talk with Jeff and see if he is aware of these things. It’s pretty disgusting that a woman could treat her own child this way…my God dad…was there ever any happiness in her life besides us? She was so happy when we came home, we had a really wonderful couple of days in New York, she was so relaxed and feeling so good about life.”

“Oh Max, I am so sorry about this. Of course I’ll talk to Jeff. Let’s not try to figure this out until we have all of our ducks lined up okay. We can surmise all we want to but until we have conclusive answers it’s all speculation on our part. I will call Jeff tomorrow morning when I get to the office and see if we can’t have lunch somewhere…not the Crashdown…and have a nice long talk. Maybe he knows that Nancy has problems but just never realized how bad they are. We’ll find an answer Max…in the meantime you relax and get ready for next week. Don’t let this weigh you down to a point where you can’t concentrate on what you need to do.”

“Oh, I won’t Dad…but I hate to see Liz so unhappy. Do you know that she told the judge we would testify on behalf of Tess in order for Tess to receive psychiatric help? Liz said she shouldn’t be held responsible for something she had no control over and that we should help her. Liz thinks that if the adults we went to as children had listened to us that she wouldn’t be in the predicament she’s in today.”

“Well, you predicted that one Max. I guess you know her better than anyone else. Are you going to practice tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I’ll be leaving here around 6:00 a.m., hopefully Liz will still be asleep but I doubt it. She’ll probably want to pack me a lunch or something.” And with that both men started to laugh…

“So true Max…well you get some rest and we’ll be seeing you probably Monday morning sometime.”

“Fair enough Dad…hug Mom for me and good night.”

“Good night son.” And both men hung up.

*~*~*

Max’s alarm went off at 5:00 a.m. and he was up and in the shower within minutes.

Liz had been awake since 4:30 a.m. She had fallen asleep in Max’s arms early last night and that’s the last she remembered. She felt strange after her phone call from her mother. She knew she hadn’t done anything wrong but that woman just had a way of making her feel guilty about living. ‘What in the hell did I ever do to her that she treats me like this?’ Liz thought to herself. She heard the shower running in Max’s room and so she made her way to her own bathroom and brushed her teeth, combed her hair and put on her robe and fuzzy slippers and headed downstairs.

She put the coffee pot on and found some frozen pancakes in the freezer that Olivia must have put in there and she took them out and put them in the microwave to thaw. She headed to the refrigerator and took out some sausages and put them in a frying pan and then took a couple of oranges and squeezed some juice. She fried a couple of eggs and set the table in the kitchen and by the time Max came down the back stairs Liz had the table all set and the food sitting on plates on the back of the stove keeping warm. Max came over to give her a hug good morning and she suddenly stiffened up…what the hell…Max couldn’t put his finger on what was going on but he knew it wasn’t good. He ignored her attitude and told her good morning.

She smiled a smile that didn’t reach her eyes and told Max good morning right back then she motioned for him to sit down and she brought their plates over to the table for breakfast.

Max knew this was the phone call so he kept things light and handed her the copy of the annulment papers.

“What’s this Max?” Liz looked puzzled…

“Oh, this was on my fax machine last night when I went to my room. I thought you might like to see it. Go ahead, take a look.”

Liz picked up the paper and read its contents and then looked at Max and smiled…again it didn’t reach the eyes.

‘Shit’ thought Max…I have to leave but we have to fix this and quick…

“Breakfast is delicious Liz…thank you; you didn’t have to get up this early you know.”

“I know Max, but I was awake so when I heard your shower I figured I would just fix you a good breakfast before you took off. What time do you usually get home?”

“Oh, sometime between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m., do you have plans for something?”

“No, I just thought I would fix dinner for us and we could spend the evening just resting…you have practice the rest of the week right?”

“Yes, but you don’t have to cook, we can go out or I can bring something home.”

“No Max, I really want to do this okay. It gives me something to occupy my time.”

“Look Liz, you can read, golf, fish? Ice skate? Shop? You don’t have to fix my dinner.”

“Please Max, may I?’

Max’s heart ached for her…she was pleading with him for help and he had to leave…”Of course you may, you do whatever you want to do sweetheart and I’ll be glad to see you when I get home.

“Thank you Max.”

“Now, I really have to get going. You have a good day Liz Parker, I mean it.”

“Good bye Max…play good.”

“I will, see you tonight.”

Liz followed Max out the door to the driveway and then she asked “Max, is there anything in particular you like to eat?”

“Liz, you know I like everything…whatever you fix will be fine.” And he gave her a great big smile and took off. His heart was aching for her…he needed to fix her mother’s damage and fix it quickly.

*~*~*

Liz went back into the house and cleaned up the kitchen, headed upstairs and made Max’s bed and then went to her room and made her bed. She took her shower and then started to hang up her clothes in the closet…put the dirty clothes into the hamper and filled the drawers with a lot of unused clothes from her suitcase. She hung up all of the slacks, skirts and Jackets she had purchased as well as the blouses and sweaters. Max had brought all of these clothes in before they went to New York and they were getting very wrinkled.

She took the shoe box from the dresser and sat it on the bed and proceeded to take out the contents. She opened all of the small jewelry cases and sat and admired them. She couldn’t believe the amount of money that Max had spent on her in the last two weeks. There was a small fortune in diamonds sitting on that bed and she loved every one of them. She closed all of the boxes and decided to take them to Max’s room. She remembered a safe in his closet and she wanted him to keep the jewelry in there for her. She knew that they would be okay in her room but she just felt better if they were in the safe.

She put the purse in a plastic bag along with the champagne colored gloves and set the shoe box on one of the shelves in the closet with the purse and gloves on top of it. She took her black shoes and purse and did the same with them and set them next to the champagne set and then she put on her tennis shoes and her Philly’s sweat shirt and went to the computer in her study.

She found SS. Peter and Paul’s cathedral and checked out the daily masses and the phone number of the rectory. She dialed the number and asked if she could speak to a priest. Soon a pleasant voice answered, “Hello, this is Monsignor Gaughan…may I help you?’

“Yes Monsignor…my name is Liz Parker and I would like to make an appointment to speak with you if that’s possible?”

“Of course it is Liz, do you mind if I call you Liz since I don’t know if you are a Miss or Mrs. and I am not comfortable with the term Ms… When would you like to speak with me?”

“Yes, you can call me Liz and I would like to see you as soon as possible.”

“Fine, it’s close to 8:00 right now and I have a mass in about 20 minutes that will last until 8:45…can you be at the church by 9:00?”

“Of course I can Monsignor…as a matter of fact…I think I can make it to mass if I hurry, I will see you soon.”

The monsignor hung up his phone and headed over to the cathedral to get ready for the children’s morning mass and wondered if this was the same young woman that was in the papers Tuesday. We’ll see, he thought.

Liz grabbed her purse and headed downstairs, grabbed the annulment papers from the kitchen table and headed out to the garage. She made sure she locked the door behind her and hopped into her own car and took off. She remembered how to get to the cathedral from Sunday and she was there in no time flat. She just entered the side door as the monsignor entered from the sacristy. She blessed herself, found a pew and genuflected before taking her place. She recited the prayers with all of the children and their teachers and when mass was over the monsignor looked out into the audience and recognized her from her photo in the paper…it was her, what could be wrong he thought.

Soon he was changed into his street clothes and came out into the main part of the church and made his way to Liz’s pew. He sat down next to her and asked her what he could do for her. She looked at the kind middle aged man and smiled. She knew he recognized her and she let him know this.

“Liz, what is so urgent that you needed a priest this early in the morning. I sensed something was bothering you when I spoke with you earlier.”

“Yes monsignor…I know you recognize me as a friend of one of your parishioners, Max Evans. We have been friends since the diaper brigade. Our fathers graduated high school together and our families have known each other forever but that is not what this is about.

Two weeks ago I left my office in Connecticut and drove to Philadelphia and sought out Max and his family because I was so unhappy”

…and Liz continued on with her story to the kind man and brought him right up to the minute with the annulment papers and her mother’s phone call last night. She told the monsignor about her mother’s influence on her and how she made her feel guilty for every pleasure she had ever experienced. How she had to go to her senior prom from a friend’s house because her mother said that the only reason young people went to proms was to have an excuse to spend the night together. She went on and on for two solid hours. She told him about her loveless, sexless marriage and every unhappy occurrence in her life. She told him of her love for Max and how he confessed his love to her on Tuesday night after his father told them that the annulment papers had been signed. She told him about Tess and her part in her loveless marriage and how she would get everyone she could to testify on Tess’s behalf because Tess was mentally disturbed and did not deserve to be put in jail for her part in the conspiracy to murder her.

To say that the monsignor was overwhelmed was an understatement. You would never think in a million years that all of this was happening to this young woman if you just looked at her. She had to be one of the kindest people he had ever met and then he had to ask…”Liz, my child, just what is it you need from me? Certainly you don’t need forgiveness for anything; you haven’t done anything wrong unless you’re holding out on me here. Are you?”

“No monsignor…I have told you everything. My mother…”

“Liz, your mother definitely needs some professional help…you are an intelligent woman, you should know this. You recognize that Tess needs professional help, can’t you see a similar need in your mother. Liz, you have done nothing to be concerned with.

“I will say that getting married outside of the church was not the thing to do but in your case all I can say is God was protecting you in his own way, and we don’t frown in God’s face Liz. Accept His blessings and move forward.”

Liz looked into the gray eyes of the kind old gentleman and gave him the first genuine smile she had since last night’s phone conversation. She got up from her seat and the monsignor stood and placed his hand on her head and gave her a blessing and she thanked him and left the church feeling better than she had in a long time. The guilt placed there by her mother had been lifted and she could move on. This was going to be a good day.

When she got to her car her cell started ringing in her purse and she looked down at the caller ID and smiled…”Hi Max.”

“Hi sweetheart, are you feeling any better?”

“Oh much Max…thank you” And she opened her car door and climbed in.

“Where are you?”

“At the cathedral, I went to mass and then I had a nice long talk with the monsignor and now I’m headed home. Max, I think I need to get some groceries…where is the closest supermarket?”

“Liz, there’s a list of phone numbers by the desk in the kitchen…one of them is to the grocers…give him a call and tell him what you need. He will deliver it to the house for you.”

“Oh Mr. Rich and Famous…I can go to the market you know.”

“Listen Liz, I know you can go to the market but your face is plastered all over every newspaper in the country… now call the damned grocer and I will see you around 6:00 p.m. I am not telling you where to find a market…get your ass home.”

Jay, Josh and Pete happened to be in the vicinity of the phone conversation and started to chuckle…she’s a case that one. Max just looked at them and made an obscene gesture and continued to talk to Liz…they were really getting a kick out of this situation and Max was confused, infuriated and in love.

“Okay Max, only because I am not in the mood to argue with you right now. I am almost at the driveway…oh shit…Max, I’m in my car what’s the code?”

With that Max gave her the code and she headed up the big winding drive and pulled in back to the garages. She bid Max goodbye and headed for the house with annulment papers in hand. She really did feel better. Now she was ready to tackle the downstairs. Maybe she could have the major rooms cleaned and ready for company before Max got home. She could put a roast in the crock pot she saw in the pantry and make a grocery list out before tackling the living rooms and grand hallway. Tomorrow she could do the dining room, sun porch and kitchen and Saturday she could do the work out room, dressing rooms and the pool area. If she paced herself just right she would be ready for company by Monday morning.

This was such a drastic change from test tubes and lab rats…but a nice change for a change. She was actually looking forward to seeing Olivia again. She hoped she was enjoying her time off. Liz was hoping to meet the twins and her sons before leaving for Connecticut…she really wanted to help Jane get her little girl.

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes (AU,M/L,MATURE) ch.29 10/16/14

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn:LOL...you know I was thinking about your comment regarding the delivery of groceries and I remembered that, growing up in Pennsylvania, there were a couple of grocery stores that did deliver. I remember my grandmother going through the cupboards and writing down what she needed, then calling the grocers. I think they delivered to different areas on different days of the week. She was born in 1879 and of course had no automobile to take her where she needed to go, the days of horse and buggies long gone. The only thing I can think of that would be advantageous to me about this would be, if I needed a loaf of bread I would get a loaf of bread and not wind up spending $35.00 on stuff I didn't need or want just because I had to pass it up to get to the bread in the first place. Talk about impulse buying. Sheese! :roll:
Eve: The Irish Catholics were as bad as the Italians I think, mine were the same way :!: You know, the word "lunatic" comes to mind when I think about these things and yet when I read that word in a book I have to laugh and I have no idea why. I do know there are women, even men, who think that way, but I hope I explain Nancy's problem a little further into the story. :)
Natalie: I'm working on Nancy's head... :wink: :D
Roswelllostcause: I agree and I think everyone else does too, Nancy has problems. :)
Smileeuk: Hello there...yes, I like Liz in Gold for some reason. I think I saw her in that color on the show along with the rose colored tank top and felt the colors looked great on her, that's why the gold dress. Also, that dress really existed once upon a time, very regal, only it was rose. As a matter of fact, I believe I may have changed the color of the dress to go with the brooch for the collar. As for Max and his "moves"...well, I think it just might start with this chapter...let's hope so. :D Keep reading. I try to add a chapter every Thursday, unless I forget it's Thursday. :roll: Old age you know. :wink:

Chapter: 29

About 5:00 p.m. Liz had cleaned both living rooms, large and small, and even managed to wash down the patio off the small living room. She had even washed the windows on the French doors. She didn’t know what in the hell had gotten into her but she was moving like a white tornado. She dusted the railings and banisters on the grand stairway, mopped the marble floors with the special “marble cleaner” she found in the pantry off the laundry room and cleaned the hallway leading to the back entry and washed the windows on that door as well.

She cleaned the dining room and dusted the butler’s pantry and then she started on the kitchen after she checked the pot roast. She mopped the floor in there and the sun porch as well…now she was ready for a shower and some of that nice oil from the hotel. She chose a nice pair of her new slacks and a sweater…she even opted for one of her new scarves which she used to anchor her hair at the nape of her neck. She applied a nice amount of makeup, enough to accent her cheeks, eyelashes and lips and she checked it out in the mirror. Yes…she pumped air; she was very pleased with herself and she smiled bigger than she had in a long, long time.

She headed back down the stairs and went into the dining room to set the table with some very nice china she had found in the butler’s pantry earlier which was located between the kitchen and dining room. She then put on some music she had found in Max’s study and hit a button that said all rooms and then she heard it. There were speakers everywhere in the house playing the same song. ‘Oh! How cool is that?’ she thought.

Then she heard it…a buzzing sound and when she went down the hall to check it out she discovered it was a monitor showing the main gate…the escalade was driving through. She suddenly felt a little pang of excitement and she could hardly wait until he walked in the back door.

*~*~*

Max was apprehensive as he pulled into the garage…when he left this morning Liz seemed to be very stand offish. He didn’t know what frame of mind she would be in when he got into the house but he was excited about seeing her regardless of how she was feeling. He closed up the garage and slowly walked up to the back door and let himself in. Something surely smelled good along with the familiar cleaning solution that Olivia used. ‘Shit, she was at it again.’ ‘Oh well, if cleaning house is her thing then let her clean’ ... he sure as hell didn’t want to fight her about it. He dropped his duffle bag in the laundry room on his way to the kitchen and there he was met with a vision.

She looked beautiful …she was dressed in a beautiful pair of royal blue slacks. She wore a multi colored blue silk sweater with a cowl collar and she had her hair pulled back and tied it off with a beautiful matching royal blue silk scarf. She had on a pair of two inch royal blue leather pumps and her make-up was flawless. Max looked at her and smiled and told her she looked beautiful.

“Thank you Max, you’re looking pretty good yourself, I hope you’re hungry. I hope you don’t mind but I put on a CD that I found in your office and set it up to play all over.”

“God no Liz, I don’t mind…but can you tell me why you cleaned the hallway?”

“Well, we are getting company, and I have been here for two weeks and there hasn’t been a house keeper for that long and we do need to be prepared and I am here and I have nothing else to do with my time…” she rushed out…”Oh Max, don’t be mad at me…please. I really do want to do this for you.” Actually she needed to do this…she was a nervous wreck thinking about their new status, for lack of a better term!

Max melted…”Well, if you really feel the need to scrub floors and wax furniture who the hell am I to tell you not to? I guess.” Max didn’t know how to deal with this new situation they were in and he was willing to get her a maid service certificate if it made her happy.

“Thank you Max, now let’s fill our plates and go into the dining room and eat. I found a bottle of wine in the liquor pantry, I don’t know if it’s the proper wine to serve with roast but it is red so it’s in there chilling in an ice bucket. I haven’t opened it yet so if you feel you would like something else then you will have to choose it because I don’t know that much about wines.” Liz was a nervous wreck…she wanted him so badly and she didn’t know how to go about it…this was her friend after all and now it’s all changed…she was happy it changed but she didn’t know what to do.

Liz was rambling and Max was secretly smiling to himself…he recognized this trait from their younger days when Liz wasn’t quite sure she was doing the right thing.

Max finally chuckled at her and said…”Liz, if you found it in the pantry then I’m sure it will be fine…I only buy the kind I like.”

“Oh good.” She said nervously biting her lower lip and with that she picked up one of the two plates and proceeded to fill it up with her dinner. The salads and the bread were already on the table…the only foods not in the dining room were the hot foods so now they were ready to sit down and eat.

Max was still feeling uneasy around her…he didn’t know if she had gotten over her mother’s phone call from last night or not. He knew how it had affected her and he hadn’t been filled in on her conversation with the monsignor yet so he was still walking on eggs so to speak.

Max followed Liz into the dining room and he was stunned. She had found the good china in the butler’s pantry…she used the silver flat ware and the ice bucket from in there as well and there were lit tapers on the table. Everything looked very elegant. Nobody had ever used these items before and it looked absolutely beautiful. Max sat down and smiled at Liz who was seated to his right … she had placed his service at the head of the table and he was beginning to feel like the lord of the manor. He would never tell her that but right at this moment it was exactly how he felt; he was about ready to cry he was so happy.

“So Max, how did practice go today…did you guys prepare any surprise plays for the opposition?”

Max chuckled at her description of baseball practice…”Liz, we don’t plan surprise plays…we just hope we cover any and all plays that may come our way and that we are prepared for them. Oh, by the way, Josh, Pete, John and Jay all said to tell you hello and they liked the picture. They said it really captured your personality.”

“Tell them thanks, I thought so too.” And with that she gave Max a big smile and a little giggle.

“So, what did Monsignor Gaughan have to say this morning?” Max asked, trying to be nonchalant.

“Oh, he told me my mother needed some serious help and that the only crime I’m guilty of is marrying outside of the church but to look at it as though God was taking care of me and that I shouldn’t frown inHis face. There was some other conversation as well but that about covers it. Oh, and he did say to tell you good luck…he saw our picture also.”

Max raised an eyebrow at her and then he chuckled once again…”I take it he knew who you were then.”

“Not until he saw me and then he was right on the money. Do you know him Max?”

“Yes, I give him tickets to the games all the time. He comes when he can but if he can’t he gives them to some kid in the parish. He’s a good man; he will probably be at a couple of the games next week.”

“I see…can we invite him over while everyone is here? I would like everyone to meet him…I like him a lot Max.”

“We can do that if you want to but I believe he has met everyone but Maria. He met Michael last year when he flew in for a week-end without Maria. He’s met Mom and Dad, Izzy and Alex at some of the games so, yes, if you want to invite him go right ahead. It will be a little hectic next week though Liz…I will be very busy and believe it or not, very hyped.”

“Oh, then maybe we should wait until another time.”

“Sweetheart, if that’s what you want to do it’s okay with me I just want you to know that this is really a big deal for me…I have never played in a world series before and I don’t know how I’m going to be.”

“No Max, we will wait to invite him…okay?’

“Okay Liz.” And as they finished their dinner Liz told Max to do whatever he usually does after practice and she would clean up. Max smiled…

“No, Liz, I will help you clean up…I usually sit down with a book or sign some checks for my secretary, check my messages and then go to bed…so I will help you clean up and enjoy your company…okay?”

“Okay Max”…and with that they both started to stack dishes and headed to the kitchen through the butler’s pantry…”When did you discover this room?”

“Oh, I was looking for cleaning supplies today and this door was off the kitchen so I just took a chance and boy…was I surprised…there are some seriously beautiful pieces of silver and china in here Max.”

“Yes there are. They came with the place just like the skates, the golf cart and clubs and most of the other stuff. The owner of the estate had no family and his death was a shock to the skating world…the place sat idle for almost three years and that’s when dad discovered it. I changed very little of it.

“I did get rid of the dormitory looking bedrooms and added the king sized beds and matching furniture but the studies with the couches and stuff were here. If you get a chance take a look at the third floor, it is used mostly for storage right now…I have all the single beds up there but it used to be a ballet room I think.

“There are ballet barres all around and there are hardwood floors and surround sound speakers. There’s also another storage room off the ballet room that has a lot of holiday decorations in it. It’s quite interesting…you really should have a look.”

“Thanks Max…maybe I’ll do that sometime this week. I still have three days before everyone gets here. It will be fun. Oh, Max, I put my jewelry on your dresser for you to put in your safe. I know nothing will happen to it in my room but I will just feel better if it’s in your room.”

Max smiled down at her and said “Okay Liz, in the safe it goes.” And then he took a look at the pensive expression on her face and couldn’t take it any longer…”I’ll be right back Liz.” And with that Max left Liz standing next to the dishwasher with a plate in her hand as he took long strides toward his office. Soon she heard a familiar Elvis Presley song come over the piped in stereo system and she smiled. She always liked this song and then Max came into the kitchen and led her into the grand hallway. The song changed and Max took Liz into his arms and held her very close…she wrapped her arm around his neck as she had done at the hotel the other night and Max took her right hand again and held it next to his heart, “Listen Liz”…she started to stiffen up just a little but Max pulled her closer yet and then she laid her head on his chest, just under his chin, and listened very carefully to the words that were being sung…

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Lyin: Eyes (AU,M/L,MATURE) ch.30 10/23/14

Post by mary mary »

Chapter: 30

Roswelllostcause: I don't think he'd mind, he has plenty of room in this fic. for many guests. :D
Smileuk: To tell you the truth I'm not sure what you do with red wine besides drink it, but Liz did say she didn't know either but she loved the silver in the butler's pantry and used everything she could find a use for. :) As for the "cliffhanger"? I don't think this part is going to leave any doubt in your mind about how either of them feel. Forgive me if I offend, it's not my intention :wink: :)
Eve: Wait till you read this part, I don't think anyone is showing any signs of shyness here. :D As for the cleaning frenzy, I'd like to have her as a houseguest for a couple of days. My days of those actions are long gone. :wink:
Carolyn: Oh ye of little faith! :) I can't believe I wrote this, must have read one of those romance novels I buy at the market before writing this chapter. :P

Chapter 30
DON’T
Don’t, don’t, that’s what you say
Each time that I hold you this way
When I feel like this, and I want to kiss you
Baby, don’t say don’t.

Don’t, don’t, leave my embrace
For here in my arms is your place
When the night grows cold and I want to hold you
Baby, don’t say don’t.

If you think that this is just a game
I’m playing
If you think that I don’t mean
Every word I’m saying

Don’t, don’t
Don’t feel that way
I’m your love and yours
I will stay

This you can believe
I will never leave you
Heaven knows I won’t
Baby, don’t say don’t
Don’t

(Don’t by Mike Stoller and Jerry Leiber)
*~*~*

Max moved very slowly, taking Liz on a journey that sent her into another plane of existence…she was enthralled with his movements. She danced with her eyes closed, her body following him and they danced as though they were one.

He moved so smoothly, so slowly, slightly dipping and turning her with every beat of the music. It was poetry in motion; she could feel every muscle in his body as he held her close and led her around the marble floor. She felt like she was floating…she felt wonderful and he cherished her and she knew it. He held her as you would a babe in arms, gently, lovingly, and she loved every moment; she loved him, and she smiled from the inside out.

*~*~*

When Max stopped dancing Liz just stayed where she was…she didn’t want to move…she didn’t know whether she wanted to cry or laugh or to just stay in Max’s arms…she chose the latter of the three…after all, that is where she had always wanted to be. Max kissed the top of her head; he could smell the bath oil from the hotel and he smiled. He let her hand go but she kept it placed over his heart, he reached down and lifted her chin up toward his face ever so slowly. He looked into her eyes and saw exactly what he wanted to see…love, passion and above all trust, he was looking for trust.

He tilted her face up farther with his bent forefinger and brought his lips down to meet hers in the most tender of kisses and Liz’s knees started to buckle.

Max felt her grow limp in his arms and he came close to screaming with happiness. She wrapped her arms around his neck and returned his kiss with a passion that leaped from her soul. Max was overcome with joy as he deepened the kiss and guardedly but passionately he devoured her. Finally they broke their embrace and Max looked into Liz’s eyes and she smiled the sweetest smile he had ever seen.

He bent over, picked her up in his arms and headed for the end of the stairway, passed it up, and opened a door located on the other side of the stairs. It looked like a closet…it had two doors, one was on the other side of the hallway from the back entrance. Max closed the door and pushed 2 on the key pad and the elevator took them right up to the second floor across from his bedroom. Liz looked at him and smiled as she played with the hair at the nape of his neck… then she whispered into his ear…”I knew it.” He smiled as he fought off a shiver caused by her breath on his ear and continued to his room.

She still had her arms around Max’s neck and her head on his shoulder …he just grinned and placed another kiss, this time on her temple. As soon as he made his way to his room and placed her on his bed he crawled up next to her and took her in his arms and kissed her senseless. She melted…she threw her heart and soul into her kisses and she allowed Max the freedom to explore her from head to toe, and he did.

He kissed her eyes, her nose…he wandered around to her ears and down the side of her neck…he found her pulse point and gave little suckled kisses which absolutely drove her wild. She loved the feel of his arms and his neck… she loved running her hands through his hair…she loved the way it curled around his neck…she loved running her hands down his back, touching his face.

After a very long make out session Max reached for the hem of her sweater and looked into her eyes… she lifted her body to a sitting position and raised her arms. He lifted the sweater over her head and laid it gently next to them on the king sized bed and then she reached for his shirt as well, Max crossed his arms and grabbed the bottom of his shirt with both hands and pulled it effortlessly over his head. He then pulled Liz to him and reached around her and unhooked her bra and removed it as well. This was the first glimpse of her completely nude upper body he ever had and he was starting to shake with nervousness. He had waited so long for this moment… she was so precious to him … so trusting…he had to be very careful to make this the most perfect experience of her life. She needed to know that he truly loved her and would do anything for her…she was too fragile for anything less.

Max straddled her, then sat back on his heels and looked at her, he slowly ran his hands up and down her arms then up again and over her shoulders then over her mounds of flesh. Loving every part of her, leaving tender kisses in the wake of his hands as they roamed every inch of her body, he fought for control over himself. He worked his way down her sides to the waist of her slacks…he reached for the zipper of her slacks and she lifted her hips to help him remove them from her body.

Max pulled them down and put them next to her sweater and then he took a good look at her…she was wearing a pair of flesh colored lace bikini panties that barely covered anything and he had to gulp and give himself a mental warning, this is for her Max… then Max reached up and hooked his thumbs in either side of the elastic of the bikini panties and again Liz lifted her body for Max once again and he looked up into her eyes and smiled…there was no fear on her face at all…only love and trust. God, how he loved her.

Liz came to a sitting position again and leaned forward and unbuttoned Max’s jeans for him and he scooted to the foot of the bed and removed his jeans and boxers in one fell swoop…Liz gasped at the first sight of any naked man, fully erected, up live and personal and she marveled. He was beautiful and she said “Oh My.” Max looked at her and smiled…”Liz I would never hurt you, you know that, are you sure you’re ready for this?”

“Oh yes Max…but you must know that you are the first man I have ever seen like this and Max…you are beautiful…God…just beautiful…yummy beautiful.”

And the more she talked and looked the harder Max got…and no amount of trying to calm himself into waiting was going to change things.

“Oh God, Liz will you be quiet…you have no idea what you’re doing to me here…”

“Oh yes I do Max…I have eyes and believe me you are positively yummy…
Come here Max.” She was driving him nuts with her eyes…

“What, why?” Max knew that she had to stop or it was going to be over before it got started….

“Please Max, I know what you are thinking and you’re right…this is my first time and I know you will be perfect and you will make it perfect…but will you allow me to explore also…I promise I won’t hurt you either, please?”

Max didn’t know what to make of this, he couldn’t deny her anything…this was totally new to him but this was Liz…she trusted him completely and he wanted to please her so he did as she asked. He slowly crawled up her body, leaving a trail of tender kisses along the way and laid next to her…once he was settled she straddled his waist and bent forward to kiss his lips in the lightest of kisses and then she ran her fingers over his chest watching his lungs expand and contract ever so slightly with each breath and then she moved lower. Leaving kisses along the way, she reached that part of him that made him different from her and she lifted his rock hard erection and slid her other hand under and touched his testicles, She felt underneath them, they felt so warm and… soft, was the only word she could think of. As she explored Max’s nether land his erection kept growing tighter and tighter in her hand, if that was possible.

Poor Max…she looked up at him and he had his left forearm draped over his forehead and he had a look of contentment on his face…He had no idea this was going to happen but he would give her the time she needed to explore to her hearts content…that’s what he got for loving a scientist he thought to himself. He almost chuckled at the thought.

Liz was happy to see that Max was okay with her curiosity and she continued to fondle and look…then she noticed the milky white discharge coming from the head of Max’s penis, she bent over and licked it off…Max practically came up off the sheets, he would swear he jumped two feet into the air. Holy God what is she up to now he thought…he didn’t have to wonder long.

After her little taste she thought, hmmmm…let’s just see what all the hype is about and she wrapped her lips around the top of Max’s penis and slid her tongue down the back side; Max let out a low guttural moan that could only mean pleasure…Liz looked up at him and caught his eyes wide in disbelief…she gave him a smile and went right back to what she was doing.

What she couldn’t fit into her mouth she took up with her hand. She started to move her head in an up and down motion, licking with her tongue with every stroke. Max could not believe what she was doing…and it felt wonderful. It wasn’t too long before he was moving involuntarily in sync with Liz and then he tried to pry her loose…he was about to cum and he didn’t want her to continue but she refused to give up, she took hold of his hands and just kept pumping faster and faster and soon Max had released into her mouth and much to his surprise she had swallowed every bit of it…she looked up at him with a gorgeous smile, her hair draped over her shoulders and she leaned forward letting the loose strands rub against his body causing shivers up and down his spine. Then she said in a very sexy and satisfied voice “Yummy!”

Max pulled her up to him and kissed her senseless…after he was able to contain himself. He said softly, “For someone that hasn’t had any experience at this you sure seem to know what you’re doing.” …

“Max, I haven’t experienced it firsthand but I have seen movies” She whispered softly as she made tiny circles on his chest with her fingers…”Maria used to bring movies over to the house all of the time…” and Liz continued to run her hands up and down Max’s chest…”you don’t know how many times I have dreamt about doing that for you.” And Liz continued to touch him and move her hands slowly up and down his body, barely touching, watching the muscles ripple with every touch…

“You’re serious, aren’t you?” As Max watched her in disbelief…

“Of course I am…this has been one of my fantasies since I was about sixteen.” She whispered…

“God have we wasted time! Come here angel…let me fulfill some of my fantasies. And what got into you this evening? …I was terrified that I would find you all upset and I wouldn’t know what to do with you.”

“The monsignor happened.” She smiled…

“I must remember to thank that man.” And with that Max rolled Liz over onto her back and started working on his own fantasies. He leaned over her resting on his elbows and put both of his hands behind her head as he ran his thumbs on her cheeks and started kissing her sweet lips and by the time the evening was over Max and Liz were both sexually and physically sated. Max had performed every fantasy he had ever dreamed of with Liz and Liz accepted everything that Max had to offer and when Max didn’t think he could do anything else with this beautiful angel and his body was totally spent he grabbed her into his arms…looked her straight in the eye and said “Marry me Liz.”

Liz smiled up at him and said “Okay… does six months sound alright because that’s how long you have to wait in the church.”

“Six months sounds fine.” And Max opened his night stand drawer and took out the small black velvet box from tiffany’s… he opened it up and removed the diamond solitaire that Liz fell in love with, he kissed the ring before placing it on her left ring finger and then he kissed her finger … now she started to cry…Max looked at her and smiled…”I promised myself I would not let you get away from me again and I always keep my promises Liz.” He bent over and kissed her hand and then he took her into his arms and they curled up and went to sleep. Max had to be up in four hours but he didn’t think he would mind missing any sleep tonight, he was one happy man.