Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) COMPLETE, 07/23/17

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 45

Post by April »

sarammlover wrote:OMG....that was awful for Maria! Holy crap! Billy was quite bold doing that at school where anyone could have walked in. Poor Maria.
I felt so bad for her as I was writing that scene. Luckily she was able to get out of there before it escalated, but still . . . it's horrifying, and no girl should have to go through that!

Thanks for reading and leaving feedback!

Part 45

Early that evening, Maria went to bed. But she didn’t go to sleep. She curled up on her side, pulled the covers all the way up to her neck, and just lay there, thinking. She must have had at least three blankets and the bedspread draped over her, but she felt cold.

Around 9:30, a sliver of light shone into the room as Max came in. “Finally got Dylan off the Xbox,” he said, shutting the door.

Dylan . . . She’d barely paid attention to him or Max all night, and she felt bad. “So is he asleep then?” she asked.

“He’s in bed. Don’t know if he’s asleep yet.” Max peeled back the covers and crawled into bed behind her, his clothes still on. Her body tensed as he moved in close and wrapped his arm around her midsection. She knew he wasn’t trying to make her feel uncomfortable, but she felt that way, just because of what had happened today.

He kissed the back of her neck, and then her shoulder, and that was when she felt his hand sliding down her body, trying to slip in between her legs. But she kept them pressed together tightly.

“I don’t really feel like doing anything tonight,” she told him.

“Oh.” Unlike Billy, he didn’t proceed. He pulled his hand back and scooted away from her slightly. “That’s okay.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He got back out of bed and headed out of the room. A minute later, she heard the bathroom shower start to run.

A few tears spilled out of the corners of her eyes, and she wiped them away, determined to not be crying when he came back into the room.

The next day wasn’t much better. Maria managed to get some sleep, but when she woke up, the first thing she thought about was Billy. And that disgusted her.

Max seemed to realize that something wasn’t quite right, but when he asked her about it, she lied and told him, “I think I’m just coming down with what you had at New Year’s.” And he agreed that she looked like she was under the weather.

She didn’t bother fixing her hair or putting on makeup before driving Dylan to school, and once they were there, she didn’t get out of the car to say goodbye to him like she usually did. She just sat in the front seat while he got himself out of his car seat and grabbed is backpack and lunchbox. “Bye, Mom!” he exclaimed, shutting the car door.

“Bye, honey,” she whispered, watching him run into the school building. He was excited for whatever the day had in store for him. She wished she felt that way, too.

Around 11:00, she remembered that today was supposed to be her first solo shift at the front desk of one of the dorms. But there was just no way she could sit there and get anything done, so she called Brody, did a few fake coughs, and told him that she was getting sick. He promised her he’d find a replacement.

So that left her on her own at home for the entire afternoon. She laid on the couch and watched TV all day, not really paying much attention to what was on. Max brought Dylan home from school that day, and the two of them immediately gravitated back to the Xbox.

Maria got in the shower that night, starting to feel worried about tomorrow. Today had been . . . morose. But easy. Tomorrow, though, she had class again. And Billy would be there. How was she supposed to walk back into that room? She didn’t think she could even look at him without feeling . . .

She shuddered, even though the water falling all over her was warm. As if this whole thing wasn’t bad enough on its own, it brought back other memories, things she’d tried to repress over the years.

“I’ve never done this before.”

“First time for everything.”

She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to push that image of that man out of her head. James Winston. She hadn’t seen him since, but she’d never forget that day.

“I don’t think I can.”

“Relax. You don’t have to sleep with me.”

She squirmed, wishing she could just jump out of her own skin for a minute and not remember what it had felt like to watch him unzip his jeans.

“I just wanna see what you can do.”

“God!” she screamed, slamming her fist against the wall of the shower. She didn’t want Max to hear her and get worried, so when she cried, she made sure to do it quietly. She kept the water running and sank down, sitting in the bathtub, curling her knees up to her chest as the unwanted memory of that creep’s cock in her mouth mixed together with the feeling of Billy’s hand between her legs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Oh god. With every step forward, Maria thought the same thing. Oh god, oh god, oh god.

The closer she got to the auditorium, the harder it became for her to breathe. Other people walked past her quickly, and she just barely managed to put one foot in front of the other. She pulled the sleeves of Michael’s sweatshirt down over her wrists and held onto them tightly as she neared the door.

When she got close enough, she stopped. Whenever somebody walked in, she caught a glimpse of the room inside. And Billy was there. Right up at the front of the classroom like he always was, getting things prepped for the professor’s lecture that day. He looked . . . completely normal. Not worried. Not scared. Not the slightest bit remorseful.

“Hey.”

She gasped and jumped when Michael came up behind her. “Oh, Michael,” she said. “You scared me.” Her heart was racing now, but knowing that it was just him actually helped calm her a little bit.

“Got my paper done,” he proclaimed, smirking. “It’s good.”

She tried to smile, but . . . she just couldn’t really do it.

“Are you goin’ in,” he asked, “or are we just gonna stand out here all day?”

The door opened and closed again as another student walked in, and she caught sight of Billy again. I can’t go in there, she thought. There’s no way.

“Maria?” There was a noticeable trace of concern in Michael’s voice when he asked, “You okay?”

No, she thought. I’m not.

Wordlessly, she grabbed his arm and pulled him back down the hallway to the smaller classroom that was always unlocked. Together, they went in, and she kept the lights off and shut the door.

“What’s wrong?” he questioned.

She looked around the room helplessly, feeling like, if she said even one word about this to him, she’d just break down.

“Maria.” He got right in front of her and said, “Look at me. Look at me.” He held her face with one hand, her arm with the other, his eyes locked onto hers. “What’s going on?”

Having his hands on her . . . it didn’t make her feel uneasy. It made her feel safe. Protected. “Michael?” she whimpered.

“Maria, you’re scarin’ me. Talk to me, please.”

She gulped nervously, not sure what to say. “I don’t wanna go in there.”

“Why not?” he asked, slowly lowering his hand from her face. “What happened?” He kept both hands on her arms, though, and for that much, she was grateful.

It was too late to backtrack now. She couldn’t dismiss this as nothing. He knew her too well, he’d see right through it. “The other day, when I stayed after to work with Billy . . .” She trailed off, cringing as she said his name.

His grip on her arms tightened momentarily. “Did he do something to you?” And then, as if he were worried he was holding onto her too hard, he let go of her altogether and asked, “Maria, did he hurt you?”

She wrapped her arms around herself, grimacing. “He started coming on to me,” she told him, barely talking loudly enough for her even herself to hear. “I didn’t think it was a big deal at first, but then he tried to kiss me, and I told him told him to stop, but he kept trying.”

Immediately, Michael got this horrified look on his face, like he felt sick to his stomach.

“And he was, like, trying to touch me. He . . .” She stopped and shuddered. “He put his hand between my legs.”

“Oh my god, Maria.”

“But I pushed him away fast, and I just ran out of there.”

“So you got away?” he asked, his voice wavering with emotion.

“Yeah, I got away.” She shivered, thankful that it hadn’t been worse than it was. “I don’t know what his intentions were or what it would have amounted to . . .”

“It doesn’t matter,” Michael cut in.

“It was just . . . uncomfortable.”

“Well, yeah, ‘cause he was forcing himself on you, Maria.” Both his hands clenched into fists, and he shook his head angrily, growling, “That son of a bitch.”

“I just needed to tell someone,” she squeaked out. She hadn’t known it would be him. Although . . . maybe she should have. She was wearing his sweatshirt, after all, like it was her shield of armour.

“You haven’t told anyone else?” he said incredulously.

“No.”

“Not even Max?”

She shook her head, blinking back tears. “I don’t want him to know.”

“But you have to tell someone,” Michael said. “He can’t just get away with this.”

“I know, but I don’t want it to blow up and become this big thing.” She just wanted it to be over.

“It is a big thing, Maria. What he did was wrong. Nobody should ever do that to you.”

“It just . . . it just made me remember . . .” She trailed off, whimpering, knowing it wasn’t necessary to say more for him to understand.

“Come here, come here,” he said, pulling her back into his arms. He hugged her tightly, and she put her hands on her chest, resting her head against him as the tears began to fall instantly. She just couldn’t hold them in anymore. Her eyes were like a dam that had burst, but he didn’t seem to mind.

“Shh,” he soothed, stroking her hair.

“Michael . . .” For the first time in two days, she felt safe and warm and comfortable. She didn’t want to leave that room. She didn’t want to let go of him.

“I’m gonna take care of this for you,” he whispered against her hair. “Okay?”

“No, you don’t—you don’t have to do anything,” she said, pulling back just enough so that she could look up at him.

“Are you kidding? Of course I do,” he persisted. “I’m not gonna let anyone make you feel this way, ever.”

This hadn’t been her intention, though, to get him wrapped up in this, to get him so involved. This was her problem to deal with, not his.

“Maybe he would’ve stopped,” she speculated, worried that she was already making a bigger deal out of this than it needed to be.

“No, no, don’t do that,” Michael said. “Don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.”

“Maybe I did something or said something to lead him on.”

“No, Maria, listen to me.” He grabbed hold of her shoulders and gently shook her, as if to shake some sense into her. “Don’t you dare blame yourself. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

As much as she knew that . . . she still wondered if she could have prevented it in any way. Maybe if she hadn’t allowed Billy to get her side-tracked and start talking about singing . . . maybe she’d been too friendly to him.

“Go home,” Michael told her suddenly. “I’ll handle this.”

“What’re you gonna do?”

“I’m gonna confront him, put some fear in him, get him to step down from being a TA.”

She nodded dazedly, liking the sound of that. As long as she didn’t have to sit in that classroom for another semester with him in it, then she would be fine. “He thinks you’re my boyfriend,” she made sure to tell Michael.

“That’s fine. Let him think that.”

She sighed shakily, feeling . . . useless. Pathetic. But as much as she hated being the damsel in distress, there was something comforting about the thought of being taken care of for a change, and being taken care of by Michael especially.

“Okay,” she said.

“Okay. Go home. I’ll stop by later.”

“I can wait here for you--” she started to offer.

“Maria.” He stared at her for a few long, drawn-out seconds. That look in his eyes . . . he looked like he was about to get choked up about everything himself. “Go.”

I don’t wanna leave you, was all she could think. I don’t wanna leave.

Eventually, they walked out of the classroom, though. He held her hand. But then he had to go left, and she had to go right, so their hold loosened. Ever so slowly, her hand fell from his, and he turned his back to her and headed towards the classroom. And even though it had taken every ounce of strength and determination in her body to get there in the first place, now it took every ounce to leave.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Class had already started. Michael didn’t give a fuck. His eyes locked onto Billy the moment he entered the room. He prowled down the back row, taking his usual seat, but it didn’t feel right without Maria sitting next to him.

He plucked at his shirt, noticing that it was still damp. From her tears.

Oh, Maria . . .

He paid no attention to whatever they were discussing. All he could think about was one thing. And all he could feel was one thing.

Rage.

That bastard didn’t even look back at him. He made jokes with the professor that everyone else in the classroom laughed at. But Michael just kept glaring at him, hating him.

What the hell made him think he could do that to a girl? And not just any girl, but Maria.

He didn’t want to picture it, but his mind went there, imagining what it must have been like for her. How afraid she must have been. It made his blood feel like it was boiling, and then he started to feel something else, too.

Guilt.

If he had just stayed with Maria and waited for her, then none of this would have happened. He could have prevented it just by being there.

The class dragged by, and Michael never started feeling any better. The longer he sat there, the angrier he got, and the guiltier he started to feel. He felt it all swarming around inside of him, churning in the pit of his stomach, rising up like lava.

As if this whole thing wasn’t bad enough, it had brought back memories of the past for her, too. He knew exactly what that past was, because he was the only one she’d ever told. He didn’t want to think about it, either, but now that this had happened . . . it all just came flooding back.

He remembered seeing her and Dylan walking down the sidewalk at night, both of them tired. Confused. He remembered driving her to his house and telling her to come inside, not knowing what was wrong with her, but still knowing that something was wrong.

“I feel . . . disgusting. And ashamed.”

It still made his skin crawl to think back on that conversation, the one where she’d told him about what she’d done to James Winston. And why she’d done it.

“Can you believe it? I gave him head and he gave me a hundred bucks. Like I’m just a whore.”

He winced.

“You’re not a whore.”

“I exchanged sexual favors for money. That’s pretty much the definition of a whore.”

It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair that stuff like this happened to her. She was a good person; she didn’t deserve any of it.

The saddest part was . . . he’d been too late to save her from the experience back then. And he was too late this time, too. If he could have, he would have gone back in time and done anything to stop it from happening. But since he couldn’t, he was going to have to settle for defending her now. Better late than fucking never.

At last, the class ended, and people got up and started to leave. But Michael stayed seated, biding his time. He waited until most everyone was gone, then got up and stalked to the front of the classroom before Billy could leave with them. “Hey!” he called. “I wanna talk to you.”

That instant look of alarm in Billy’s eyes was obvious. “About what?”

“What do you think? My paper,” Michael lied easily.

“Oh.” Billy’s whole body visibly relaxed. “Of course.”

Of course. Michael smirked inwardly. This motherfucker wasn’t going to know what hit him.

“Do you have a copy of it?” Billy asked.

“Not with me.” He watched as the last few students walked out the door, and the professor waved at Billy as he went out behind them.

Billy waved back and then returned his attention to Michael. “Uh, I don’t know how much help I’ll be then,” he said. “You could email it to me.”

“Yeah, I could do that,” he mumbled, looking around once more to make sure it was only the two of them left in there now.

“Is that all then?” Billy asked. “ ‘cause I got somewhere I need to be.”

“No,” Michael said. “No, you don’t.”

Billy gave him a curious look, as if he were trying to decipher what was going on here. As if he didn’t already know. This bastard was just playing dumb, delaying the inevitable.

“I know what you did to Maria,” Michael blurted. “She told me.”

“Maria?” Billy echoed. Pretending like he didn’t know her, he said, “Oh, she’s your girlfriend, right? The one who sits back there with you?”

Michael didn’t say anything.

Unbelievably, Billy had the audacity to laugh. “What did I do to her?”

“Don’t even fuckin’ try to deny it,” Michael warned. He was teetering dangerously close to the edge of violence, and it was taking all of his self-restraint not to just slam this guy’s face onto the floor.

“I don’t know what I did,” Billy insisted. “Honest.”

“Oh, you sick son of a bitch,” Michael grumbled. “She told me. You tried to force yourself on her!”

“What?” Billy shrieked. “Is that—is that what she told you? No way. I’d never do that.”

“I swear to God, if you don’t fucking admit it . . .”

“Admit what? Am I into her? Yeah. I think she’s a really hot girl. And when she was here the other day, we just started talkin’ about music and shit, and . . . I don’t know, I thought there was a connection. So I went for it; I tried to kiss her. But she didn’t reciprocate, so then I backed off.”

“Oh, you backed off, huh?” Michael said. “Yeah, like hell you backed off!” He took a few steps forward, and Billy took a few back, as if he were intimidated. “You didn’t fucking back off and you know it! You put your hands on her!”

“I’m not some rapist, alright? Don’t stand here and make me out to be some predator.”

“That’s what you are!” Michael roared.

“No, I didn’t do anything wrong,” Billy insisted, sticking to his story. “Maybe she’s just tellin’ you a different version ‘cause she’s embarrassed.”

“Or maybe she was too scared to even walk in here today ‘cause of what you did to her,” Michael accused. “I’m not gonna let you get away with this. You can’t do that to her and just act like you didn’t do anything.”

“So what do you want from me, huh?” Billy spat. “You want me to apologize for somethin’ I didn’t even do?”

“No, I want you to step down as TA, and leave Maria the hell alone,” Michael demanded.

“And what if I don’t?” Billy challenged. “What if I don’t step down?”

“Then I’ll make you step down.”

“Ooh.” Billy laughed, a false bravado. “Look at you, tough guy. Aren’t you her knight in shining armor?”

“That’s right.” He’d always be that for her, whenever she needed him to be.

“Well, I’m not steppin’ down,” Billy told him decidedly. “I wanna teach this damn class someday. This is good experience for me. So I’m here to stay.”

No, you’re not, Michael thought. If talk wasn’t working . . . there were other ways to get this creep to agree. He hadn’t wanted to resort to them, but if he had to . . . “You motherfucking bastard.”

“I’m not throwin’ my opportunities away just ‘cause some bitch is draggin’ my name through the mud.”

“What’d you call her?” Michael bellowed.

“You heard me.”

Michael moved even closer, feeling the anger rising, threatening to explode. “Go to hell, Billy,” he ground out.

“Save me a seat,” Billy retorted. “And while you’re at it, maybe you should save another seat for your little whore.”

That did it. Michael swung and hit Billy in the face so hard that it sent him stumbling backward, and immediately blood started pouring from his nose. Giving him no time to recover, Michael grabbed him by the shoulders and slammed him back against the white board, pressing his forearm hard against his throat to keep him pinned there.

“If you ever call her that again, I’ll fucking kill you,” he threatened, fuming. He socked Billy one more time, this time in the stomach, eliciting a strangled, pained cry, and then slammed him back against the board again. He cried out as his head hit.

Michael took a few steps back, getting control of himself, and looked down at his right hand. His knuckles were red, and one them was scraped and bleeding.

Hobbled over, Billy glowered at him and vowed, “You’re gonna pay for this.”

The reality of the situation suddenly dawned on Michael, hit him like a grenade. This guy had a bloody nose because of him, maybe even a concussion or broken ribs. He hadn’t hit him much, but he’d sure as hell hit him hard. He hadn’t done anything like this in a long, long time.

But he’d do it again.

“You hear me?” Billy kept challenging. “You’re gonna pay.”

Oh, shit, he thought. What if this did come back to bite him in the ass? He could have just majorly screwed up everything for himself now.

Didn’t fucking matter, though. Not when Maria was involved.

Even though he wanted to give in to impulse and just wail on the guy, he forced himself to turn and walk away. He’d gotten his point across. Hadn’t he?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael reassured himself on the drive over to Maria’s house that Billy’s threat was meaningless. You’re gonna pay for that? Yeah, right. Billy was a musician, not a fighter, and he didn’t seem like the type of guy who would have meathead friends. No, physically, he had nothing to worry about. He could hold his own against anyone.

But . . . there were other ways to make him pay, too, ways sanctioned by the college. Ways that could fuck him up a lot more than any fist fight could.

Whatever. He dismissed it, determined not to worry. None of that mattered. All that mattered to him right now was making sure Maria was okay.

He knocked on her door, then said, “Maria, it’s me.”

She opened the door a few seconds later, looking relieved to see him. “Hey.”

“Hey.” He stepped inside and asked her right away, “How you doin’?”

“Better,” she replied. “I think.”

She looked better to him. Her eyes weren’t red or puffy, so at least she hadn’t been crying.

“Did you talk to him?” she asked.

“Yeah.”

“What’d he say?”

Michael snorted, too pissed off to recount every single thing he’d said. “He denied it.”

“Of course.” She sighed frustratedly. “Well, what’s gonna happen now?”

I have no idea, he thought, but he wanted to give her a more concrete reassurance. “You don’t have to worry about him anymore.”

“So—so does that mean he’s stepping down as TA?” she sputtered.

No. I don’t know. Maybe. “Yeah.”

Her eyes sparkled with a hopefulness that almost killed him. “Really? Are you sure?”

No. “He’s gonna step down,” Michael promised. If he had to the beat the guy down to get him to agree to it, he’d fucking do it.

“Because that’s all I really want,” she said. “I just want him to step down, and then I never have to see him again, and then the whole thing can just be over.”

“It’s over,” he assured her. Even though it wasn’t, it’d make her feel better to think of it that way.

“So then can I just . . . can I just show up to class tomorrow then?” she asked him. “I mean, if he’s not gonna be there . . .”

Knowing that he might very well still be there, Michael squashed that idea. “Just stay home,” he advised. “You’ve had a rough week. Take the day off. Relax.”

“But I don’t wanna get too far behind.”

“It’s just class, Maria.” Tomorrow, he’d go by himself, and if Billy was there . . . well, he’d up the ante. If two punches didn’t work, then maybe ten would.

“Okay,” she said. “Thank you, Michael.”

He didn’t feel like he deserved her thanks yet.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered.

“Why?” She was the last person on earth who needed to be apologizing.

“I didn’t mean to drag you into this. I should be able to solve my own problems.”

“Hey.” He picked up both of her hands, holding them securely in his own. He knew he was touching her a lot today, probably too much, but she seemed to be comforted by the contact. “Don’t ever feel like you can’t come to me. I’ll be there for you, whenever you need me.”

“What happened?” she asked suddenly, tilting his right hand towards her to get a better look.

Oh, crap, he thought. His hand . . . his knuckles . . . He quickly pulled it away from her. “It’s fine,” he said.

“Michael, what did you do?” she asked, alarmed.

“Nothing.”

She just kept looking at him inquisitively.

“Alright, fine, I hit him a couple times,” he admitted.

“You hit him?”

“Well, what was I supposed to do? If you heard some of the shit he was saying . . .” Just thinking about it made him want to sock the guy again, and do more damage this time.

“Michael, you could get in trouble for this.”

“I’m fine,” he insisted. “Don’t worry about me.”

“But what if he presses charges? People get expelled for this sort of thing, Michael.”

“I’ve been expelled before,” he said nonchalantly.

“Yeah, in high school. This is different.”

He knew that. He knew it was all different, and he knew something like this could really blow up what he had going for him in college. But he wasn’t going to stress out about it. At least not in front of her. “Just don’t worry,” he repeated. “I got it under control.”

“Just don’t do anything impulsive, okay?” she begged. “Don’t hit him again.”

He . . . wasn’t going to make any promises on that.

She gazed at him earnestly and said, “I don’t want anything bad to happen to you.”

“Nothing’s gonna happen,” he reassured her quickly. “Just . . . don’t worry about me.” That was the last thing he wanted her to do.

She sighed heavily, as if she were already worrying.

“Call me if you need anything, alright?” he told her, reaching behind himself for the doorknob.

She nodded. “Okay.”

“Okay.” He didn’t want to go, but he had to. He was scheduled to work today, in about ten minutes, actually. And after that, he was going to have to do something about this hand of his to make sure Sarah didn’t worry, either.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael’s knuckles were full-on bruising in the afternoon. His whole hand hurt. Even though it had just been one punch to the face, it had been a hell of a punch.

He ended up using Sarah’s makeup to conceal the bruising. It was just the right shade, and he was thinking that if he kept his right hand hidden enough that night, she wouldn’t even notice. And once tomorrow rolled around, hopefully the bruising wouldn’t be so bad.

“Michael, are you home?”

He was just finishing up his makeup masterpiece when Sarah walked in the front door. He quickly put her . . . foundation? Was that what it was called? Whatever it was, he set it right back down where it had been on the counter and headed out of the bathroom to go see her. “Hey.”

“Hey,” she said, slipping her shoes off. She veered straight into the kitchen, groaning, “Oh, I’m so hungry. I had to skip lunch today.”

He curled up and stretched out his fingers when she wasn’t looking, carefully inspecting the makeup. Damn, it was fading fast. He was going to have to reapply in an hour. Girls must have had a different technique to make it last on their faces.

“How was your day?” she asked him as she searched through the refrigerator.

“Oh, it was . . .” He honestly didn’t have words to describe what this day had been like for him. He didn’t have to come up with them anyway, because his phone rang on the coffee table.

“Your mom?” she guessed.

He walked over to the table and picked up his phone. No, not his mom. A number he didn’t recognize, but it was local.

Shit, he thought, sensing that this wouldn’t be good. He answered it anyway. “Hello?”

“Michael Guerin?”

He turned away from Sarah so she wouldn’t see him gulp. “Yeah, who is this?” It didn’t sound like Billy, but he still had a bad feeling.

“This is the Dean of Discipline.”

And that would be why. His stomach clenched.

TBC . . .

-April
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 45, 10/23/16

Post by sarammlover »

Oh Michael, always so impulsive when it comes to defending Maria's honor. She should have told Max. And yes, maybe Michael as well but this makes me nervous for what will happen. Maybe Maria isn't the only one Billy has come on to. Maybe other girls will come forward and call him out on his bullshit. Great update April!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 45, 10/23/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Been away.......but disappointed to find Maria and Max still together.....
And Billy is on the scene....
What more can happen??
Thanks, Carolyn
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 46

Post by April »

Sara:
Oh Michael, always so impulsive when it comes to defending Maria's honor.
Definitely. Michael has changed a lot, but some things, like this, never change.
She should have told Max.
Yep. :?

Carolyn:
Been away.......but disappointed to find Maria and Max still together.....
Mmm-hmm. They've been together for a while. That won't just end suddenly.
What more can happen??
Oh, a lot. ;)

Music suggestion today is my favorite part of the song "All the Way 4U" by Poets of the Fall, which you can listen to here when you see :( if you'd like. I mean, these lyrics, you guys . . .

"Oh my love, if it's all I can do
I'll take the fall for you
'cause I will soar when I lay down with you
and give my all for you"

Part 46

“So Ronnie weighs about three-hundred pounds, and he can’t get out of the bed by himself, and I’m the only person there who actually gets along with him, so whenever he needs anything, even if it’s just to get up and go to the bathroom, I’m the one who has to help him. I had to practically carry him in there all by myself.”

“Wow,” Michael said. Normally, he’d be impressed by Sarah’s story, but today . . . there were just other things on his mind.

“And Cindy’s our new patient. She doesn’t have a room there, but she’s coming in every other day of the week . . .”

He dazed out on their conversation, because it was so one-sided that it wasn’t really much of a conversation at all, and he tried to think how he was going to get to the administration building without her realizing it. Her class was in the same direction as that building, so that meant he’d have to walk off in the direction of the psych building instead, then double back in a couple minutes.

It was ridiculous to be keeping all of this a secret from her, and he knew it. But until he knew for sure what was going on, he just thought he should deal with it himself. Maybe it wasn’t going to be that big of a deal. Maybe it was something neither she nor Maria would ever have to know about.

Who am I kidding? he thought. The freaking Dean of Discipline had made a personal call to him last night and arranged their meeting this morning. It was a big deal. Before this, he hadn’t even known that there was a Dean of Discipline. The eighteen year old version of him probably would have been on a first-name basis with the guy by now, but the twenty-one year old version had no idea what he was getting into.

“Michael?” Sarah said, slowing her pace. “Are you even listening to me?”

“What?”

She rolled her eyes. “Never mind. I’ll see you later.” She angled her cheek to the side, and he gave her a kiss.

Slowly, he headed in the direction of his class, taking the path he normally would have taken to get there. But he walked extra slowly, and eventually he turned back around and went to the administration building instead. It was a huge network of offices and departments in there, and it took him a good ten minutes just to get where he needed to be. He had to fill out a few forms just to document that he was actually there, and once he turned those in, an assistant led him to a cold, prison-esque back room. Sitting in there waiting for him was a middle-aged man in a suit, a woman who looked like Hillary Clinton 2.0, and a guy who looked like he was still in college. They were each stoic and stern, like Supreme Court judges sitting behind a long table.

“Have a seat,” the assistant told him.

“Do I have to?” he joked. No one cracked a smile.

He sat down on the opposite side of the table as his executioners—that was seriously what they looked like—and waited for them to say something. The middle-aged man in the center spoke first, and Michael recognized his voice from the phone call. So he was the dean.

“Mr. Guerin, thank you for coming,” he said. “This is Jeanette Mitchell, associate dean,” he said, gesturing to the woman on his right. “And this is Ben Harper, student representative on the disciplinary committee.”

“We have a disciplinary committee?” Michael asked. Oh, this did not look good.

“The disciplinary committee handles acts of student misconduct,” the dean explained. “The reason why we’re meeting with you today is to discuss an allegation of physical violence brought to us by a student named Billy Darden.”

Michael rolled his eyes, already having to censor himself. Because he felt like screaming that this was bullshit.

“Are you aware of the incident he brought to our attention?”

“Yeah.” He wasn’t going to lie or play dumb. No, he’d own up to it, because he hadn’t done anything wrong. “I hit him yesterday, twice. Face and stomach. He deserved it.”

“And why did you hit him?” the dean asked, he and his colleagues all taking notes.

“Because he’s the son of a bitch who tried to force himself on my . . .” He stopped himself before referring to Maria as his girlfriend. “My friend.”

“And when you say force . . .” The dean trailed off, as if he were urging him to expand. But what the hell was there to expand on?

“I mean force. He had his hands on her. It freaked her out. She had to shove him off and run away from him.”

“And how did you come to learn of this alleged incident?” the dean asked.

“It wasn’t alleged; it happened,” he corrected vehemently. “She told me.”

“And who is this girl?”

He fell silent, reluctant to reveal anything about Maria’s part in this. “I can’t say,” he mumbled.

“Excuse me?”

“I can’t say. I won’t.” Maria had said numerous times that she didn’t want this escalating and becoming a big deal. He just wanted to keep her out of it.

“Mr. Guerin, it would help us to know who this girl is,” the dean explained. “Without her testimony, it’s simply Mr. Darden’s word against yours.”

“Well, then that’s what it’ll be, ‘cause I’m not gettin’ her involved.” He was dead set on that. They weren’t going to get him to change his mind.

The dean sighed. “Very well,” he said. “Can you at least explain to us your relationship with her?”

He didn’t even want to give them that much information, but if he didn’t give them something, then he was sunk. “Billy thinks she’s my girlfriend, but she’s not. She’s my ex-girlfriend,” he told them. “Ex-fiancée, actually. And I still care about her a lot, so when she told me what happened, I wasn’t just gonna sit back and do nothing.”

“So you confronted Mr. Darden.”

What was up with this Mr. shit? Billy didn’t deserve the respect of putting that in front of his name. “Yeah, I told him to stay the hell away from her and step down as a TA in our class.”

“And why did you hit him?”

“Oh, I don’t know, probably because he called her a whore.”

More note-taking. No change in facial expressions, though. Were they really so stone-cold that they wouldn’t be the least bit sympathetic about this?

“Do you recall what you said to him after you hit him?” the dean inquired.

Michael had been so caught up in the rage he’d been feeling, he couldn’t remember word for word. But still . . . he remembered. And now Billy was probably leveraging that against him. “Yeah, I said I’d kill him if he ever called her that again.”

That admission and that admission alone finally was enough to get a reaction out of the associate dean and the student representative. Her eyes got bigger. His eyebrows shot up.

“It’s just an expression,” Michael said. “I’m not actually gonna--”

“But those were the words that left your mouth?” the dean cut in.

He sighed frustratedly, damned if he told the truth and damned if he didn’t. “Yeah.”

Feverish note-taking now. Great.

“Look, I’m not gonna apologize for what I did,” Michael openly announced. “I don’t regret it. He had no right to do what he did to her. He’s the student misconduct you should be looking into, not me.”

“Well, Mr. Guerin, you see, the problem is, the two stories you’re telling us are radically different. Mr. Darden has made no acknowledgments of any sexual misconduct on his part.”

Michael grunted. “Of course not. Why would he?”

“And unless your friend comes forward and gives us her account of what happened . . .”

“Unbelievable,” Michael muttered. “So he’s just gonna get away with it?”

“We’ll investigate this incident from all possible angles,” the dean vowed. “But I need you to understand that the consequences for your actions are very serious. Physical harassment and a verbal threat is not something we take lightly.”

“Yeah, what about sexual harassment?” he countered. “You seem to take that pretty lightly.”

Ignoring that jab, the dean said, “I’m afraid I have no choice but to suspend you from all academic and athletic activity here at the university until our investigation reaches its conclusion.”

Michael’s brows shot upward. “Suspend?” he echoed. Well, it was better than expulsion, but it still sucked. “So I can’t go to class?”

“No, you may not,” the dean confirmed.

“What about Billy? Is he just gettin’ off scot-free?”

“Mr. Darden has agreed to temporarily relinquish his duties as a TA while we sort out this matter,” the dean replied in an even, steady tone, “but since he was the one who brought this complaint to us, he will be allowed to maintain his normal academic activities.”

Michael shook his head in disgust. God dammit, he’d handled this all wrong. He never should have gone and confronted Billy about it; he should have gone straight to this guy. Clearly it didn’t really matter who was right or who was wrong. It only mattered who got to him and told his side of the story first.

“Now let me emphasize, as of right now, this is a temporary suspension,” reiterated the dean, “the length of which has yet to be determined. But do consider yourself on an unofficial probation, Mr. Guerin. Any further displays of violence or aggression will severely damage your chances of remaining at the university.”

“So what’s gonna happen to me then?” Michael questioned heatedly. “Am I gonna get expelled or what?”

“Expulsion is the most serious punishment given as a result of student misconduct,” the dean informed him, “and can be given for incidents of this nature. Punishment will depend on the results of our investigation into this matter.”

“Investigation.” Michael felt a lump forming in the back of his throat. It all sounded so . . . official. This was a big deal. “Do I need a lawyer here or what?”

“You’re not in a courtroom, Mr. Guerin,” the dean pointed out.

“Yeah, well, it feels like I’m on a trial.”

“If I were to advise you on a course of action . . . I would talk to the young lady involved in this incident, get her to come forward and validate your story. That would certainly help us flesh out the details of this case.”

Michael shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He knew he could do that, and he knew Maria would do that for him. But she’d trusted him with this, told him about it when she hadn’t told anyone else. And he’d promised that he would take care of it for her, so that was exactly what he was going to do.

“Would you like to give us her name?” the dean asked him again, apparently expecting that he would get an answer this time.

Michael knew his ass was on the line here, but nothing in the world was going to get him to betray her trust. So his answer was simple: “No.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

If anyone could help him deal with this crap, Michael figured it would be Kyle. So after he finished up with the disciplinary committee, he drove straight over to his friend’s house and wasted no time getting into it. “I’m in deep shit,” he blurted right when Kyle opened the front door.

He told him the full story of what had happened, because if there was anyone he could trust not to tell anyone else, it was Kyle. Pacing around the living room, he got worked up as he recounted every detail, every damn thing Billy had said yesterday, everything the dean had said today. When he was through, Kyle looked like he was at a loss for words.

“Uh . . . wow,” he breathed. “Wow.

“It’s bad, isn’t it?”

“Sounds pretty bad,” Kyle agreed. “So this could really happen? You could really get kicked out?”

“I guess.” He was really hoping it wouldn’t come to that.

“Well, that can’t happen,” Kyle said. “You can’t let that happen. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“I know.” There was no chance in hell he was going to downplay what he did or his reasons for doing it. “But here I am, fuckin’ owning up to everything I did, and Billy’s just lyin’ about shit, actin’ like he didn’t even lay a hand on her.”

“Well, you gotta prove that he did,” Kyle told him. “And once you do, then I don’t think anyone would have a problem understanding why you hit him. They’d applaud you for it.”

“Yeah, but . . .” Michael kept pacing around the living room, agitated, frustrated. “I can’t prove anything.”

“Sure you can,” Kyle said.

“How?”

Kyle gave him a look. “Bro . . .”

Michael shook his head. “No, no way.” He knew what Kyle was suggesting, and he wasn’t going down that road.

“You heard the dean. You gotta get Maria to come forward about this. She’s the only one who can back up everything you’re saying.”

“No, I promised her that I’d take care of it and that it’d just be over,” he protested. “So it is, for her.”

“Dude, she’d wanna know.”

“No.” He was adamant about this, and he wasn’t going to change his mind. “Don’t—don’t tell her, alright? I don’t wanna get her involved. I’ll handle this.”

“How are you gonna do that?”

“I don’t know, I’ll just find a way.”

Kyle sighed heavily, shaking his head. “I think this is a mistake,” he bemoaned.

“Look, I didn’t come here for this, alright? I need—I need your advice,” Michael told him.

“That was my advice. Get Maria involved. You didn’t wanna hear it.”

“Well, then, give me some other advice.” This was what they used to do all the time. Back in high school, he’d always been getting himself into trouble, and Kyle had always been there to help him out of it. He just needed that to happen again.

“I don’t know what else to do,” Kyle admitted. “I guess just . . . be as cooperative as possible? Don’t backtrack on anything you said, ‘cause you already owned up to it.”

“I’m not gonna backtrack,” he mumbled.

“And just . . . I don’t know, you gotta try to get them to understand that this isn’t typical for you and the only reason you did it is ‘cause of . . . well, Maria.”

“Yeah.” He could do that, get them to understand that much. He could tell them how her whole body had shaken while she’d cried in his arms. He could tell them how she’d been standing outside the classroom, too afraid to walk in. He could tell them all about how this whole thing had made her feel without ever saying her name or getting her involved in any way.

“It’s gonna be alright,” he pep-talked himself. “It’s gonna work out.”

“I hope so,” Kyle said. “And listen, I won’t say anything, not even to Tess, but . . . man, you gotta tell Sarah.”

Michael immediately bristled at the idea. “No.”

“You have to,” Kyle insisted. “She’s your girlfriend; she has a right to know. If this doesn’t go your way and your temporary suspension becomes a permanent one . . . that affects her, too. You can’t keep this from her.”

He wanted to, though. He didn’t want her to know any more than he wanted Maria to know. But then again . . . he’d asked for Kyle’s advice. And now that his friend was up out of that wheelchair and not so depressed anymore, he was probably in a lot better position to give it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Telling Sarah was hard. A lot harder than telling Kyle. Michael had to wait until she got home that night to sit her down on the couch and have that conversation, but even with an entire afternoon to prepare . . . he didn’t know what to say.

She sat there in silence after he’d finished, taking it all in. She didn’t yell or cry or get panicked, but there was a definite look of worry in her eyes. When she finally said something, it was typical Sarah, though, selfless and compassionate. “I feel so bad for Maria.”

Yes, he thought. His only regret about the way he’d handled things with Billy was that it was taking attention off the real issue here.

“That’s so awful,” Sarah sympathized. “I can’t even imagine how scared she must have been.”

“I know.” It broke his damn heart to imagine it.

“Thank God she’s okay,” Sarah said, dabbing at the corners of her eyes as tears started to build up. “No girl should ever have to go through that.”

“Nope,” he agreed. “I’d do the same for you or Tess or Tina. You know that, right?”

“Oh, I know.” She reached over and put her hands on his, surprising him when she told him, “I am so proud of you, Michael, that you would stand up for her like that.”

“Really?” He hadn’t expected that reaction.

“Yes. You defended her, and that was the right thing to do. I could never be mad at you for being a good guy like that.”

He sensed she wasn’t just going to be proud of him, though. She still looked concerned. “But?”

“But . . .” She sighed, grimacing. “Oh, Michael, you should’ve thought things through better. Instead of hitting him, you could’ve told your professor. Or you could’ve tried to convince Maria to tell someone. You could’ve let the college handle this instead of taking matters into your own hands.”

“I was just so angry,” he admitted. Sarah didn’t know this side of him that well, the side that was impulsive and hot-heated and reckless. It wasn’t a side of him that came out much anymore. In fact, the last time it had, Max had been his punching bag.

“I get why you were angry,” she said, squeezing his hands in hers. “I’m angry about it, too. But now, even though you were just trying to help, you’re in this really bad situation. And instead of this TA guy getting punished for what happened, you might be the one who suffers the consequences.”

“It’s just a temporary suspension right now,” Michael assured her. “It’ll probably last a week, tops.”

“But what if it lasts longer?” she fretted, her mouth trembling with worry now.

“It won’t. It’s gonna be fine.” He wished he could believe the words that were coming out of his own mouth, but he was worried, too. The last thing he wanted was for her to stress out about it, though, or start envisioning the worst, so he tried to downplay the severity of the situation as much as he could. “The dean was pretty responsive to everything I was saying, so . . . I think he’s gonna see things my way,” he told her.

“You think so?”

“Yeah.” Hopefully. “And I’ve got a good track record as a student here, so the chances of anything really bad happening to me are slim.”

“Slim?” she echoed.

“Yeah. I just gotta cooperate with everything, and it’ll get sorted out, and then it’ll all blow over.”

She breathed an audible sigh of relief. “Oh, that makes me feel better.”

“Good,” he said. As long as she felt better, then he felt better, too.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael tossed and turned all night. He felt bad, because he knew he was probably keeping Sarah awake, but he just couldn’t seem to sleep for more than half an hour at a time. Eventually, when he sensed that morning was setting in, he chanced a glance at the bedside clock, and indeed, it was 6:34 a.m. Way too early to get up on a Saturday.

As he was debating whether or not to keep lying there or get up and get in the shower, his phone rang, as if to force him up. He reached over onto the nightstand and grabbed it, expecting to see his mom calling, because she was an early riser. But it was Maria’s name on the screen instead.

“Who is it?” Sarah moaned tiredly.

“Just Kyle,” he said, getting out of bed. “I’m gonna go outside.” He made his way through their dark apartment, answering the phone right as he slipped out into the hall, right before it kicked onto voicemail. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Maria returned. “Sorry if I’m waking you up.”

“No, I was awake,” he told her.

“I didn’t mean to call so early. I just . . . I couldn’t stop thinking about you last night.”

He smirked and managed to joke, “I’m sure that’s not the first time.”

“Ha, ha,” she deadpanned. “No, seriously, I wanted to check in and . . . see how things were going.”

“Oh . . . they’re going.” No need to elaborate any more than that.

“So was . . . was Billy in class yesterday?” she asked nervously. “Or not?”

Michael remembered what the dean had told him about Billy stepping down as TA while this whole investigation was underway, so for now, he felt confident telling her, “No. He wasn’t.”

“Oh, good,” she said. “So it worked then? He’s gone?”

“Yeah.” Hopefully if everything went the way they wanted it to, he would stay that way.

“So then I can go back to class on Tuesday.”

“Yeah, you can.” He regretted that he wouldn’t be able to go with her, but he couldn’t break the rules of his suspension. He had to be on his best behavior, and that meant he was going to have to tell a few lies to Maria in the process. He hated doing that.

“And everything’s gonna be okay for you?” she asked.

“Yeah, I told you not to worry about me, remember? I’m fine.”

“Thank God,” she said. “I’m so glad. I’m so glad this isn’t dragging itself out. It’s just . . . over.”

He swallowed hard, wishing it was over for him. “Yep.”

“And I’m starting to feel a lot better now,” she told him, “like my regular self, you know? Now that . . . well, now that things are getting back to normal again.”

( :( )

Then that’s all that matters, he thought. Dealing with all of this was nothing as long as it helped her move forward, as long as it helped her get past what Billy had done. If she got back to normal, then it was worth it.

“Thank you so much, Michael,” she told him, her voice barely a whisper. But he still heard her loud and clear. “I can’t believe you did all this for me.”

“I’d do it all again,” he told her quickly. And he meant it. Without a doubt. Even if he ended up in this same lousy situation every single time, there wasn’t a chance he would ever sit back and not defend her. He cared about her way too much.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

On Monday, Michael got called back in to meet with the Dean of Discipline. It wasn’t for a conversation this time, though. They needed him to provide a written account of ‘the incident,’ as they kept referring to it. Apparently Billy had already provided one.

He sat down in the same room where they had questioned him, alone this time, just a pencil and paper in front of him. He wrote slowly, carefully, stopping often to re-read each paragraph. He just wanted to make sure he wasn’t sounding like a violent jackass and that he was painting a clear enough picture of just why he’d lashed out.

He didn’t sugarcoat it. He wrote exactly what Maria had said to him. He put his hand between her legs. She had to push him off of her, and she managed to run away. She had to run out of that room because she was so scared. Because he wouldn’t stop. What kind of person does that?

At several points during the writing process, he started to feel that familiar rage again, and he wanted to get up and throw a chair at the wall. But he forced himself to remain calm and quiet, because throwing things really wouldn’t help with the persona he was trying to project.

When he was done, it was three pages long, and the only thing he left out was Maria’s name. The dean’s assistant was the one who took his paper from him, and she sealed it in a manila envelope right away and thanked him for coming in.

And that was it. For now, at least. The investigation continued on, though, and the next time they needed something from him, they’d call him.

When he walked back out into the brisk January air, he felt . . . out of place. For the first time ever, he felt like he didn’t quite belong on that campus. All around him, other students were walking to and from class, and he was just standing there, unable to do anything but work for housing and sit and wait. And the longer this dragged on, the more anxious he became about what he was waiting for.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Walking back into Lecuona Hall was slightly nerve-wracking for Maria, but at the same time, it felt . . . empowering. It was nice to not have to cower at home anymore, to know that what happened to her last time she’d been in that classroom wasn’t going to happen again. Part of her wished she was just inherently strong enough to overcome the situation on her own, but she hadn’t been, and that was fine, too. Because Michael had given her some of his strength, and now she felt like it was a new beginning for her.

She waited outside the big double doors of the auditorium for a few minutes, just to see if he would show up. But maybe he was already in there. Today of all days, he’d probably gotten there early.

Taking a deep breath, she made her way inside. The first thing she noticed was the conspicuous absence of Billy at the front of the classroom. He always showed up before the professor did in order to make sure that everything was ready to go for the day. But the professor was the only one there today, and he was getting everything ready on his own.

She smiled, the last bit of nerves dissolving from her body. And there was only relief left in its place.

Surprisingly, Michael wasn’t there yet, though. She sat down in her usual seat, waiting for him, picturing the smile that would be on his face when he walked in and saw her sitting there confidently, happily. But person after person walked in, and not one of them was him.

“Okay, we’re gonna go ahead and get started,” the professor announced, and immediately the class quieted down. “First off, I wanted to let you all know that I began grading your essays this weekend, and I should have them back to you next week at this time. Now for those of you who weren’t able to be here to turn them in, if you emailed them to me by 9:30, they will not be counted late.”

Phew, Maria thought. That was what she had had to do.

The topic of discussion today was the counterculture influence on sixties music, which Maria normally would have been into, but without Michael there, she just felt . . . distracted. Instead of paying attention to the music, she paid attention to the clock, expecting that each minute that passed by was the minute he would come in. Because being the nerd that he was these days, he wouldn’t miss class. Especially not today.

Ten minutes into the class, she texted him, asking him where she was. She waited ten minutes more without a response. And finally, curiosity just got the best of her, and she felt like she couldn’t sit there anymore. She quietly and quickly got up and left the room, doubting that anyone even noticed her go.

It was a long, cold walk to Vidorra, but it was warm inside. She went up to the third floor and knocked on the door to Michael’s apartment. As she waited, it dawned on her that maybe Sarah would be the only one home. And then she’d have to think of some excuse as to why she was there.

It was Michael, though, who pulled open the door. He had on a white tank and sweatpants, and his hair was even wilder than usual, sticking out all over the place. “Hey,” he said.

“Hey.” She looked him up and down, confused as to why there was, like, no urgency about him whatsoever. Shouldn’t he be racing to class right about now? “So . . .” she said. “Rough morning?”

“Oh, yeah, I slept in,” he replied. “I just woke up five minutes ago.”

“Really?” She couldn’t catch a clear view of his bed from out here, but from what she could tell, it didn’t look unmade.

“Yeah, my alarm didn’t go off,” he said, “and Sarah left early, so . . .”

“Oh.” Well, that happened to everyone, she supposed. It had happened to her on the very first day of class, which had been mortifying. “Well, are you gonna go now, or--”

“No, I mean, what’s the point?” he answered flippantly. “By the time I get there, there’d only be a few minutes left.”

“Right.” He seemed . . . so okay with missing, and that kind of struck her as odd.

“Why aren’t you there?” he asked her.

“Well, I went,” she told him, “but I wondered where you, and I texted you, but you didn’t text me back, so . . .”

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t even—I didn’t even get that.”

“Oh, well, just . . . disregard it then.”

“Yeah, sorry,” he apologized again.

She cocked her head to the side, staring at him curiously. Something felt . . . off. As indulgent as it sounded, she would have expected him to at least ask her how things had gone today, how it had felt to return to class. But it kind of just seemed like he wanted her to go, like he didn’t want her to stay and talk.

“Well . . . okay,” she said, debating whether or not she should ask him if she could come in. “Hey, I’m working my first solo shift over at Haymsworth Hall today, so if you wanna come . . . I don’t know, boss me around or whatever . . .” She trailed off, hoping he got the hint that she’d love to spend some time with him. Lighthearted time.

“Yeah, maybe I’ll swing by,” he said.

“Okay.” She wasn’t sure how to end the conversation because it all felt so unusually awkward, so she just said, “See you later then,” and he said, “Yeah,” and shut the door.

That afternoon, she sat at the front desk of Haymsworth, bored out of her mind, nothing to do. Every time somebody walked in the door, she got her hopes up that it might be him. But it never was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Whenever Michael told Sarah something he didn’t want anyone else to know about it, it was sort of unspoken that she would probably tell Tess, just like it was unspoken that he would tell Kyle everything. Sarah managed to make it a couple of days without confiding in her best friend, but when she stopped by Tess’s house for lunch Tuesday afternoon, she just couldn’t hold it in any longer. She spilled the beans about the whole situation, happy to be able to talk to her about it. Because even though she and Kyle had talked on the phone over the weekend, he was Michael’s best friend, so he’d sort of adopted the same ‘it’s-no-big-deal’ attitude Michael had. Or at least he’d adopted that attitude with her. Maybe when they talked about it with each other, they were more realistic.

“You can’t tell anyone,” Sarah reminded Tess. “Michael really doesn’t want people to know. He wants to protect Maria’s privacy in all of this.”

“So Maria doesn’t even know what’s all happening?” Tess questioned.

Sarah shook her head. “Not that I know of. It’s just you and me and Kyle.”

“Wow.” Tess leaned back in her chair, pushing her half-eaten sandwich away. These days, there weren’t many things that could distract Tess Harding from food, but this seemed to be one of them. “This is crazy. This is like high school déjà vu to the max.”

“What do you mean?” Sarah asked.

“Well, this is exactly what he did when these guys in the Crashdown got too grabby with her,” Tess explained. “He punched them out, made a scene, got her fired. And that’s pretty much the reason she ended up moving in with him.”

“Huh. He never told me that.” It wasn’t hard to picture Michael lashing out, though, especially not three years ago. He’d admitted to having a pretty short fuse back then, and clearly that short fuse still existed.

“He should’ve thought things through a lot more,” Tess said. “This sounds pretty bad. Like, how serious is it?”

“I don’t know,” Sarah confessed. “He just keeps telling me it’ll all blow over, and I wanna believe him, but . . . it doesn’t seem like it’s blowing over to me. It seems like it’s dragging out.”

“Then you need to confront him about it,” Tess advised, “and get some real answers. Don’t let him just dance around the issues and pretend like it’s all gonna be okay. Make him get serious.”

“He just doesn’t want me to worry,” Sarah said, feeling the need to defend her boyfriend’s intentions.

“But you are worrying,” Tess pointed out. “So talk to him about it. Or if you want some real answers . . .” She shrugged. “Maybe just go straight to the dean.”

The idea was enticing, but Sarah wasn’t sure how she felt about it. On the one hand, going to the dean for answers would sort of be like going behind Michael’s back. But on the other hand, if she didn’t do it, what was to stop him from just continuing to shrug this off and pretend like it wasn’t a big deal?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Why the hell can’t I cook anything? Michael wondered frustratedly as he took a stuffed-crust pizza out of the oven. It was just straight out of the box, should have been simple, but somehow, he’d managed to burn it. He hit the crust with the pizza cutter, and it was rock hard. Inedible. Great.

He reached up and switched the smoke alarm off, because this damn pizza was definitely going to get it blaring if he left it on. Then he pulled the trashcan out from underneath the sink and tried to dump the pizza into it, but it was stuck to the tray. So he just dropped the whole tray in there instead.

When Sarah came inside, she immediately wrinkled her nose and asked, “What’s burning?”

“Dinner.” He kicked the trashcan back underneath the sink and waved his arms in the air, trying to clear out the smoke. “Sorry.”

“I could’ve made something,” she mumbled, tossing her purse onto the couch.

“I thought I’d try to have something done when you got home.” Hell, he’d basically just laid around all day. This pizza was more of a result of boredom than anything else.

“So how was your day?” she asked him.

He shrugged. “Fine.” He’d watched a lot of old football games on ESPN Classic. And that was about it.

“Mine was interesting,” she said.

“Oh, yeah?”

“Yeah.” She didn’t elaborate, instead staring at him intently, almost as if she were mad.

“What’d you do?” he asked, a little bit afraid of what her answer was going to be. It was rare when Sarah didn’t come home with a smile on her face, but right now, she wasn’t even close to smiling.

“I met with your friend, the Dean of Discipline,” she announced.

His whole body tensed. “What?” What the hell was that about? He’d specifically told them not to question his girlfriend or his friends.

“I went to his office and caught up with him just as he was about to leave,” she explained. “We didn’t talk long, and it’s not like he could discuss any specifics of this ‘investigation’ with me, but I’ll tell you what Michael: He definitely didn’t make it seem like it was just blowing over.”

Michael groaned, gripping the edge of the counter hard. Fuck. This was exactly what he hadn’t wanted to happen. “Look, Sarah . . .”

“No, you look, Michael,” she snapped. “This is serious, and you’ve known this was serious, haven’t you?”

“We don’t know how serious it’s gonna be,” he reminded her.

“You could get kicked out, Michael!” she screeched. “You could get kicked out of college and have to find somewhere else to go, and somewhere else to work, and somewhere else to live.”

“That’s not gonna happen,” he assured her.

“You don’t know that!” she yelled. “You’re just saying that because you don’t want me to worry, but I am worried. So don’t try to downplay it for me. I need to know what’s going on.”

“I’m sorry,” Michael apologized, knowing it was best to just put that out there right away. “I wasn’t trying to keep something from you.”

“Well, it feels like you did,” she cried. “And I just wish you would stop worrying about me and start worrying about yourself. It’s your future that’s on the line here.”

“My future’s not on the line. I’m doing everything they tell me to do.”

“No, you’re not,” she argued. “You know it’s his word against yours right now. And it’s not looking good for you.”

He frowned. “Did the dean say that?”

“No, but he implied it, Michael. He said you’re being . . . resistant.”

“Resistant?” he spat. That pissed him off. “How have I been resistant? I went and met with them, I gave ‘em my written account, I’m doing this stupid suspension.”

“Yeah, but you’re . . .” She trailed off, looking worked up, frazzled, on the edge of hysteria. “You’re doing it alone.”

He lowered his head, sensing what she meant by that. “Yeah, I’m doin’ it alone.”

“Michael!” she yelled. “Oh my god, you can’t do this! I’m not gonna let you do this!”

“I told you, I don’t want her to know. She’s been through enough these past few days.”

“She’s been through more than any girl should ever have to go through. I get that,” Sarah acknowledged. “And I feel so bad for her, and I wish for her sake that it could just be over . . .”

“It is over,” he argued.

“No, it’s not.”

“Sarah . . .” He didn’t want to get mad at her—he never had before—but if she kept pushing this . . . he’d probably get mad.

“And if Maria knew what was going on, she’d feel the exact same way. She’d do anything she could to help you out, because you helped her.”

“I don’t wanna get her involved,” he said for what felt like the thousandth time. “I didn’t even wanna get you involved.”

“Well, we’re all involved, Michael,” she growled angrily. “God, I don’t know how you think you can just handle all of this on your own! You need to talk to her. You need to tell her what’s going on.”

“And then what?” he barked. “Bring her right back to where she was? Have her relive the whole thing?”

“If that’s what it takes, yes!” she shouted. “I’m sorry, I’m not trying to sound insensitive here. I care about Maria, too, and I have the utmost respect for you wanting to maintain her privacy through all of this . . . but Michael, you are my boyfriend, and I love you more than anything, so I am not just gonna stand by and watch you go down for this!” Her whole body crumpled forward, and she covered her face with her hands, crying.

Oh, no. He couldn’t handle this. Watching her break down, knowing he was partly to blame for it . . . it was too much for him. “Come here,” he said, reaching out for her.

She shook her head, backing away. “I don’t want you to try to make me feel better right now,” she said. “I want you to call Maria and tell her what’s happening and tell her you need her help. Okay?”

He felt like there was a gigantic knot in the pit of his stomach, twisting itself tighter and tighter. As much as he knew his ass was on the line here, and as much as he hated seeing Sarah cry . . . there was just something guttural in him that refused to bring Maria back into this. Even if it cost him.

“I won’t do that,” he said bravely, knowing it would upset her even more.

She stared at him in disbelief, fresh tears brimming as she shook her head. “I don’t know what to say to get through to you,” she whimpered. “I don’t know what to do.”

“It’s my decision, Sarah,” he told her, steadfast. “There’s nothing you can do.”

She nodded sadly, as if she were reluctantly accepting that fact. “Yeah, there’s nothing I can do,” she tearfully agreed. She wouldn’t even look at him as she grabbed her purse and stomped to the door.

“Where are you going?” he asked her.

“Out.” She slammed the door shut behind her, and he thought about following her. But right now, she didn’t look like she wanted anything to do with him, so maybe it was best to just give her some space.

TBC . . .

-April
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 46, 10/30/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Michael just digs that hole deeper and deeper.......
Oops when he almost called Maria his girlfriend during this Billy situation
Sarah did need to know, and of course she felt for Maria. But was sharing with Tess the best idea??
This is so complicated........and how does Max feel about things?
Thanks,
Carolyn
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 46, 10/30/16

Post by sarammlover »

You know what, I think telling Tess was the best thing Sarah could have done. It made her confront Michael in the most honest way and it is now exposing Michael.....he isn't perfect. The old Michael is still there. Maria SHOULD know the truth and I think it was right of Sarah to ask Michael to do that. Maria wouldn't want Michael going down for this and he shouldn't.

Excited to see what happens next!!
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 47

Post by April »

Carolyn:
Michael just digs that hole deeper and deeper.......
He's definitely gotten himself into a mess of things here. :?
This is so complicated........and how does Max feel about things?
Well, he doesn't even know what's going on. Yet.

Sara:
You know what, I think telling Tess was the best thing Sarah could have done. It made her confront Michael in the most honest way and it is now exposing Michael.....he isn't perfect. The old Michael is still there.
Oh, the old Michael is DEFINITELY still there, but this is . . . new for Sarah. It's a new experience, dealing with the old, impulsive Michael who . . . who thinks with his heart, so to speak.
Maria SHOULD know the truth and I think it was right of Sarah to ask Michael to do that. Maria wouldn't want Michael going down for this and he shouldn't.
It's very admirable and noble of him, trying to protect her and keep her out of this, but it's also foolish. He's risking his own education here, and you're right, Maria wouldn't want that.

Part 47

“Okay, ten more minutes, and then you are getting ready for bed,” Maria told her son as she finished folding up the laundry that night.

“Okay,” he said, his eyes glued to the TV screen, his hands to his Xbox controller.

“Ten. Not fifteen, you hear?” The other night, he’d somehow gotten twenty minutes out of ten, and she wasn’t about to let him get into that habit.

He didn’t answer, and just as she was about to prompt him again, there was a loud knock on the door. Liz or Isabel, she figured, hoping it was Liz.

When she opened the door, though, it wasn’t either one of those girls standing on the other side. Instead, it was Michael’s girlfriend . . . without Michael there with her.

“Hey, Sarah,” Maria greeted, a bit confused as to why she’d stop by so late in the evening.

“Hi,” Sarah said, not her usual chipper, smiley self. “I need to talk to you.”

Oh, no, Maria thought. I did something. Sarah had been so unbelievably understanding of her and Michael carving out a place in each other’s lives again. Maybe something had caused her to reach her breaking point.

Grabbing her jacket off the coat rack, Maria nervously stepped outside onto the porch, closing the door. “What’s up?”

“A lot, actually.” Sarah sighed, her shoulders slumped. “I don’t even know where to begin.”

“Is everything okay?”

“No.” Sarah locked eyes with her sadly and took a deep breath, as if whatever she were about to say was difficult for her. “Okay, I’m just gonna say this,” she began. “I know what happened to you last week with the TA in your music class.”

Maria tensed. What? How did she know?

“And I’m so sorry you experienced that,” Sarah sympathized right away, “and I’m so proud of you for finding the strength to get away.” Tearfully, she grabbed Maria and hugged her.

“Thanks,” Maria said, appreciative of the woman-to-woman support. She pulled back and concluded, “So Michael told you.”

“Yeah. And he told Kyle. But I don’t think he really wanted to tell either one of us. It’s just that . . . oh, some stuff has happened that kind of left him no choice but to tell us, and it’s to the point now where I have to tell you.”

Maria frowned. “What’s going on?”

Sarah sighed again, her whole face a mask of anxiety and sadness. “Michael’s being investigated by the university’s disciplinary committee.”

Maria’s mouth fell open in horror. “What?” She thought back to those bruised, scraped up knuckles she’d gotten a glimpse of on Thursday. He’d told her not to worry about him . . . and to be honest, she hadn’t.

“He got a phone call Thursday night from the Dean of Discipline,” Sarah informed her, “and he met with them Friday to talk about what happened. He’s suspended from classes until they get it all figured out.”

Suspended. Of course. How had she not figured that out when he’d just so happened to ‘sleep in’ today? He’d been so skittish back at his apartment, too, like he’d been keeping something from her. “Oh my god,” she breathed out, mortified. “I had no idea.”

“He didn’t want you to know,” Sarah said. “Even now, he doesn’t want you to know. He wants to keep you out of it. So he doesn’t know I’m over here telling you this.”

“No, I’m glad you are.” She felt like crying, but judging by Sarah’s lack of makeup, she’d already done plenty of that. She probably didn’t need to deal with another emotional train wreck on top of all of this. “What’s gonna happen?”

“That’s the thing.” Sarah shrugged helplessly. “We don’t know. Right now, it’s not looking so good. Michael’s admitted to hitting Billy and threatening him, but Billy hasn’t admitted anything he did to you. So basically what’s happened is that Billy went to the disciplinary committee to try to bring Michael down . . . and it’s working.”

Maria’s whole heart hurt. “Oh god,” she choked out, drowning in guilt. Why had she ever gone to Michael with this? He had his own life to live. She shouldn’t have bogged him down with her problems. “But didn’t he tell them why he hit Billy?” she asked. Surely if they knew the full story . . .

“Yeah, he did.”

“And what?” she spat. “They don’t even care?”

Sarah shook her head sadly. “I’m not even sure if they believe him. The problem is that it’s just Michael’s word against Billy’s at this point. You know?”

A huge, sinking feeling settled in Maria’s stomach. She knew what this was going to end up amounting to.

“That’s why I’m here,” Sarah went on. “God, Maria, I hate to have to ask you to do this, because I know you just wanna put the whole thing behind you, but--”

“I’ll do it,” Maria cut in decidedly. “I’ll come forward.” She didn’t even need to hear any more to make up her mind. “I would’ve done it already if I’d known this was going on.” There was no way she was just going to stand back and watch Michael be punished simply for protecting her. No way. Not after everything he’d done for her.

“I’m so sorry you have to be a part of this,” Sarah apologized again. “And I know Michael doesn’t want you to be.”

He’s still protecting me, Maria thought, touched. It was a valiant as it was senseless. “After what he did for me, this is the least I can do for him,” she said. This was probably what she should have done from the start. “God, you must hate me for getting him involved in this.”

“No, Maria, not at all,” Sarah assured her.

“I didn’t mean to tell him. I wasn’t gonna tell anyone.”

“I’m glad you did.” Sarah put a supportive hand on her shoulder and said, “I would’ve been more upset if you’d kept it to yourself.”

Maybe I should have, she thought regretfully. If it would have spared Michael this anxiety, she would have.

“So where do I need to be?” she asked bravely, a newfound sense of determination flowing through her veins. “And when do I need to be there?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Just as Max stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his waist, Maria came into the bathroom and shut the door.

“Are you gonna get in?” he asked, motioning towards the shower. “Because if you are . . . I think I might get back in.”

She didn’t smile. She didn’t flirt back. She didn’t do anything playful whatsoever, so she definitely hadn’t come in here for a wet and wild time with him. In fact . . . she looked like something was bothering her.

“I need to tell you something,” she said.

He gripped the towel around his waistline nervously, allowing himself for the first time in a long time to fear the worst.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Unfortunately, Michael was becoming an expert at navigating the tricky halls of the administration building. Just a few months ago, he and Sarah had stopped in so he could sort out his scholarships with the financial aid office on the first floor. Now they were basement level, dealing with a bunch of bull crap.

“You guys didn’t have to come with me,” he said as he led his friends down the depressingly lit lower level hallways.

“We wanted to,” Sarah assured him.

“Yeah, we all wanna be here when you come out on top of this,” Kyle added. He and Tess were walking hand in hand.

“Well, they’re not makin’ any decisions today,” he reminded them, stopping outside the big white double doors that would lead him into the interrogation room. That wasn’t technically what it was called, but that was what it felt like to him.

“You’re not mad that I know, right?” Tess piped up. “I practically had to beg Sarah to tell me.”

“Nah, I pretty much figured she would. Just do me a favor: If you feel like you’re gonna puke, make sure you do it on Billy.”

“Billy?” Sarah echoed nervously. “Is he here today?”

“Yeah.” Michael looked coldly at the closed doors. He was probably already in there. “They’re talkin’ to us both at the same time today.” He had to admit, he was apprehensive about it.

Sarah looked concerned, too. “Ooh, okay,” she said evenly, straightening out his suit shirt for him. “You know that you can’t lash out at him, right? Even if he says stuff to get you riled up, you can’t let him set you off. You have to stay calm and level-headed and mature.”

“Yeah, I know,” he muttered. He’d prepped himself for this last night. It was going to be hard, but he took comfort in the fact that Billy couldn’t really say that many dick things, either, or else he’d look like . . . well, like a dick.

“Wish me luck,” he said.

“Good luck.” Sarah stretched upward and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Taking a deep breath, he faced those intimidating double doors and walked forward, as ready as he’d ever be for whatever repetitive, unsatisfactory questions they had in store for him this time. Hopefully he wouldn’t say anything that would put any more nails in his coffin today.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“God, this place is like a maze,” Maria complained as she and Max wound their way down two flights of stairs. Even though she’d felt like they had left early enough, they’d gotten confused once inside the building, and now they were running late.

“Maria.” At the bottom of the last set of stairs, he grabbed her arm and pulled her back to him. “Are you sure you wanna do this?”

She didn’t want to, but there wasn’t a doubt in her mind that she was going to. “I have to,” she said. Telling him about everything last night had been . . . difficult. Way more difficult than this would be.

Quickly, she stomped down the hallway, Max following along behind her. She stopped abruptly when she came to the right room number. Outside, sitting on uncomfortable-looking benches that seemed more suited for the DMV were Sarah, Kyle, and Tess. “Hey,” she said. They were all dressed up like they would be for a job interview, just like she and Max were.

“Hi, Maria,” Sarah said. She stood up and gave her a hug. “Thanks for coming.”

No need to thank me, Maria thought. I should have been here days ago. She was still kicking herself for being so oblivious. “Is he in there?” she asked, motioning to the big white double doors.

Sarah nodded. “Yeah. But so is Billy.”

Maria shuddered inwardly. Great. The last person she wanted to see.

Max squeezed her hand comfortingly and reminded her, “I’ll be right out here if you need me.”

She smiled at him appreciatively. He’d been so concerned about her last night that he’d taken off work for the next few days to help her deal with this. He said he didn’t want her to have to do it alone.

“Thanks,” she told him, giving his hand a gentle squeeze back. Ultimately, though, it didn’t seem as though he could walk into that room with her. He was going to have to wait out here with everyone else while she went in there and did what needed to be done.

No fear, she thought, walking forward, placing her hand on the doorknob. Michael hadn’t been afraid when he’d confronted Billy, and she wasn’t going to be afraid this time, either.

She pulled open the door and strode right inside, leaving Max and the others on the outside. She noticed Billy sitting on the left side of a long table with a man who was either his lawyer or his father, and Michael was several chairs down on the right side, by himself. He stared at her in astonishment, as if he were seeing a ghost. Apparently Sarah never had ended up telling him that she was coming.

“Excuse me, ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you to step outside,” the man—presumably the dean—on the other side of the table said. He was flanked by two other people, whom Maria assumed were part of this ineffective disciplinary committee. “Only parents are allowed to sit in on these sessions.”

She kept casting sideways glances down at Michael, gauging his reaction. The shock was gone now, and in its place was . . . accusation, almost. Like he was angry at her for being there.

“I need to make a statement,” she announced, chancing a peek at Billy, too. He was squirming in his seat nervously.

“And you are . . .?” the dean asked.

“Maria DeLuca.” She knew that name meant nothing to him, though, so she added, “Michael’s here because of me.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael felt like he’d been hit by a ten-ton truck when he walked back out into the hall. Billy and his father came out, too, already hunched over and talking, like they were devising some sort of strategy to deal with this now that Maria was back in the mix.

Maria . . . Why was she there? She wasn’t supposed to be there.

His friends immediately stood up and circled around him while Billy and his dad scampered off to another room to regroup. “Is that him?” Kyle asked.

“Yeah.” His head felt like it was spinning. All he wanted to do was go back in that room and be there with Maria, but the dean had told him and Billy that they weren’t allowed in there while they were questioning her.

He swung his head towards Sarah and deduced, “You told her?” That was where she’d gone last night?

Swallowing hard, she nodded and wrapped her hands around his arm. “You can be as mad at me as you want. I don’t care.”

Mad . . . wasn’t exactly the right word for it. But he wasn’t thrilled, either.

It was hard not to notice that his little support system had gained a member, one he wasn’t a fan of. Max was there in a suit of his own, though surely he was just there for Maria. “You know what’s goin’ on?” he figured.

Max nodded solemnly. “Yeah, she told me last night.”

Ridiculously, it made Michael feel glad that she’d waited so long to tell him. And she probably wouldn’t have told him if she hadn’t felt like she had to.

He shot a hard glance at Sarah, who was looking down at the floor instead of at him. He thought about asking her why she’d done this, but . . . what was the point? He already knew. She loved him. She loved him, and she’d do anything for him, even if it upset him. She had his best interest at heart.

They sat in silence and waited for a long, long time. They must have been asking Maria a hell of a lot of questions, because first a half an hour passed by, then forty-five minutes. Around the hour mark, Tess finally had to get up to go to the bathroom, and when she came back, Maria finally came out. They all stood up.

“How’d it go?” Max asked, immediately going to her side.

“Fine,” she said, leaning against him as he put his arm around her. “Um, they said they’re gonna question Billy some more, so we’re all free to go. For today.”

For today, Michael thought bitterly. So it wasn’t over then. Fantastic.

“Thank you, Maria,” Sarah said, giving her a big hug. For some reason, she hugged Max, too, which pissed Michael off.

“That was really brave,” Kyle told her.

“Thanks.” She looked right at Michael then and said, “I need to talk to you, before you go.”

Good, he thought. I need to talk to you, too.

“We’ll go wait out in the car,” Sarah told him, walking off with Tess and Kyle.

Max looked down at Maria and asked, “Do you want me to stay?”

She didn’t say anything. So that answer was obvious.

“I’ll go wait in the car, too, then,” he said, lifting her hand to his mouth. He gave the back of it a quick kiss, then headed off in the same direction as the other three.

Michael leaned back against the wall, waiting until it was just himself and Maria in that long, cold hallway to start in. “Why’d you come here?”

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell me about this. How could you not tell me?” she roared.

“I didn’t want you to know!”

“Why not? You’re in this position right now because of me.”

“No.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, you didn’t ask me to hit him,” he reminded her. “I did that. This is not your fault. But I know you think it is, and that’s why I didn’t tell you.”

“You should’ve told me,” she growled, obviously upset with him. “God, I never should have gotten you involved in this.”

“No, I’m glad you did.”

“You’re glad?” she echoed incredulously. “You’re glad? Look around, Michael. Look where we are. This is serious. You could get kicked out for this.”

“I don’t care,” he blurted.

What?

“I don’t care, Maria.” He took a step forward, moving in closer to her as the words just poured out of his mouth. “I don’t care about myself or what happens to me. Right now, the only thing I care about is you.”

She gazed up at him in disbelief, confusion shining in those green eyes of hers. It was like she didn’t know whether to be infuriated with him or touched.

“Well, I care about you,” she finally said. “And I’ll be damned if I let you get kicked out over something you did for me.”

“Something I’d do again,” he added. It didn’t matter how impulsive or stupid it was. He wouldn’t even think twice about it.

That confusion on her face started to clear itself up, and the fury died down. Tears entered her eyes, and he could see her gratitude. Feel it. It was overwhelming. But there was something else mixed in with it now.

Determination.

“We’re gonna win this,” she vowed. “Together.”

Together. The word rolled through his mind, bouncing off all the corners of his brain. And he liked the sound of it. As much as he hadn’t wanted her to get involved with this . . . having her here made him feel like he actually stood a shot. He felt like they could do anything together.

She encircled her arms around his waist and hugged him. He held her close, happy to feel the stillness of her body. Last time he’d had his arms around her, she’d been crying. Shaking. But she wasn’t anymore.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Everything felt awkward for Maria when she and Max got home. He was being so understanding and so supportive about everything, but she wondered if, lingering underneath the surface, he was feeling insecure about anything. If he was, he wasn’t saying much.

“I’ll go pick up Dylan this afternoon, alright?” he offered.

“Okay. Thanks.” She unzipped her skirt and slid it down over her hips, letting it pool at the floor. She noticed him watching her, but not in a turned-on kind of way. More like . . . concerned.

“What?” she asked. Intimacy wasn’t going to be weird for them now, right? It wasn’t like she was afraid to have a guy touch her again. At least not this guy.

“It just upsets me that you’ve had to go through this,” he told her.

She pulled on a pair of black drawstring shorts and then pulled her shirt over her head. “What else?”

He sat down on the bed, his posture hunched over and dejected. “I don’t know,” he mumbled. “I guess it upsets me that you felt like you couldn’t tell me about it.”

“No, I knew I could,” she said, pulling out the t-shirt at the top of the drawer. One of Max’s. “I just didn’t want to.” She put the shirt on and swayed towards him, hoping he might get a little distracted seeing her wearing his shirt. Most guys were into that. But Max’s eyes remained downcast, and he didn’t even look at her.

“You told Michael,” he said quietly.

Sighing, she sat down next to him. “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “Are you mad at me for that?”

“I’m not mad at anybody. Except Billy.” He gulped and shook his head when he said that name. “I do wonder, though, why you just told Michael.”

She’d wondered about that, too. A lot. Looking back, she knew it would have been more appropriate to tell Max. Not only was he her boyfriend, but he had an interest in all these legal-esque proceedings. He would have helped her figure out a logical way to handle it. But . . . she wasn’t always logical, and she didn’t always do logical things.

“Max, he was just . . . he was just there with me, you know?” she explained. “He was literally right there outside that classroom when I was too freaked out to go in. And everything just came pouring out.”

He thought about it for a moment, nodded, and said, “Okay.”

“Is it really okay?” If it was something they needed to talk about further, then that was fine. She could do that.

“It’s okay,” he affirmed. “Just, in the future . . . I’d love to be the guy you run to when you have a problem.”

She grunted. “In the future, I’d love to be the girl who doesn’t run to a guy when she has a problem.”

He reached over and clasped her hand in his. “You are that girl.”

“Clearly I’m not.”

“You are, though,” he insisted. “You had a baby in high school and raised him for the first four years of his life on your own. That’s incredible.”

She appreciated the compliment, but it didn’t feel entirely accurate. For a while there, she hadn’t been alone. She’d had Michael.

“You’ve had to be tough; you’ve had to be strong,” Max went on. “And I know part of that’s because of me, because I wasn’t there for you.” He entwined his fingers with hers, holding her hand even more tightly now. “But I am now. You know that, right?”

“I know,” she said. She’d known that for a while now. He’d proven it to her.

“Good,” he said. “Just wanted to make sure.”

She smiled at him, grateful for his understanding. He could have been mad at her. He really could have. But Max just wasn’t a mad person anymore.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael lay sprawled out on his stomach, hoping he would be able to get to sleep tonight without tossing and turning. For the first time since this shit with the disciplinary committee had started up, he felt like he might have the advantage over Billy. It would serve this jackass right if the whole thing turned around on him.

Sarah slid under the covers behind him, moving in close, but not as close as she usually did. “Are you still mad at me?” she asked.

“I’m not mad,” he said, his voice muffled against the pillow.

“Really? Because you’ve said about two words to me all day.”

He rolled over onto his back, yawning. “I’m just tired.” This past week had really taken it out of him.

She fell silent for a few seconds, her fingers playing with a loose thread on the bedspread. But she couldn’t stay silent for long. “I hated being the one to pull Maria back into all of this,” she said, “but someone had to do it. It had to be done.”

Deep down, he understood that. But it still pissed him off that this wasn’t something he could handle himself. “I didn’t want either one of you involved,” he said. “But you are, so . . .” Maybe it shouldn’t have come as such a huge surprise. This was how it had always been in high school. He’d screwed stuff up, and other people had bailed him out. Sometimes quite literally if he’d gone to jail. “I guess this is just another epic failure on my part,” he muttered dejectedly.

“You haven’t failed anyone,” she assured him, scooting in closer. “You definitely haven’t failed me.” She draped one of her legs over his and rested her hand and head against his chest. “You’re the best guy ever.”

He snorted at the absurdity of that. “I’m not the best guy.” He’d made so many mistakes, and maybe this whole ordeal was a sign that he wasn’t done making them.

“I think you are,” she whispered, snuggling up against him. Her body was warm, soft. Comforting, like a blanket.

I’m not, though, he thought again, stroking her hair as she nodded off. Maybe hearing her say that should have been flattering, but for some reason, it wasn’t. Instead, it worried him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The questioning . . . was endless. It pissed Michael off that it wasn’t just an open and shut case once Maria came forward, but he had to bite his tongue and go along with it. On Thursday, they spoke with a so-called ‘character witness,’ someone who could attest to how they usually conducted themselves. The Music Appreciation instructor spoke on Billy’s behalf, making it very clear from the get-go that the outcome of this investigation wasn’t going to affect how he treated Michael or Maria in the classroom. He stood by Billy, though, bragged him up, even. Apparently he was the greatest TA he’d ever had, and he’d never witnessed him engaging in any dangerous or inappropriate actions with students.

Michael brought Brody in, even though he didn’t know anything about the case at hand. He just needed someone who had a good opinion of him, his character, and his work ethic, and Brody was that guy. He really came through and spoke as highly of Michael as the professor had spoken about Billy.

Unfortunately, once the dean and his committee were done speaking with the character witnesses, the questions were aimed at Michael and Billy again. And it was more of the same thing over and over. More recounting what had happened, giving the same damn answers to the same damn questions. For Michael, it was easy, because he was telling the truth. But he noticed Billy starting to get more and more frazzled, and the things he was saying were starting to sound less and less convincing. He hoped the dean could see that.

Throughout all the questioning, Michael got the sense that Billy’s dad was actually a lawyer. There were certain questions where he would answer on Billy’s behalf, or questions that he would instruct him not to answer. It was as if he knew his son had done something wrong and was just trying to cover his ass for him.

Friday marked the one-week point of this whole saga, and Michael was hoping it would be the last day. Sarah, Tess, and Kyle came with him, and Maria and Max were back again, too. At the very least, today was something different. They were all allowed to come into the room with him and overhear the questioning. Billy had more people on his side, too, including a woman who looked panicked about all of this. Probably his mother.

Michael sat next to Maria at the table while the others sat behind them. He hated that she even had to sit in the same room with Billy, but she said it didn’t bother her. It bothered him, though.

“If we may,” Billy’s father said, “my son would like the chance to address the allegation of his own misconduct with both Mr. Guerin and Ms. DeLuca.”

“Go ahead,” the dean urged.

Billy twisted in his chair to face the two of them, and Michael did the same, hoping his larger frame would block Maria from the other guy’s view. “Alright, first of all, I wanna point out that I’ve been an exemplary student here at the university,” Billy began.

“So have I,” Michael mumbled.

“I’ve worked hard to get where I am today, and the fact that you two would come in here and spread these lies about me sickens me.”

Michael had to restrain himself from saying anything.

“I tried to have your back here, Maria, I truly did,” Billy went on, “but now I gotta tell the truth. Truth is . . . I didn’t come on to this girl. She came on to me.”

“Oh, give a break!” Michael roared, unable to contain himself. He shot to his feet and blared, “Are you fucking kidding me? That’s bullshit! Do you really expect anyone to believe that?”

Behind him, Kyle got up, put a hand on his shoulder, and whispered, “Shut up, shut up.”

“Mr. Guerin, please have a seat,” the dean instructed.

He didn’t want to sit down. He wanted to hit this loser harder than he had the first time, maybe a knock a few teeth out.

He sucked it up and sat down, though.

“I didn’t know how she felt about me until the day she stayed after class to have me look over her paper,” Billy kept on lying. “We were talkin’, and then she started flirtin’ with me and movin’ in close. She was pretty aggressive.”

“That’s not true,” Maria denied calmly. “That’s the exact opposite of what happened.”

“I didn’t say anything ‘cause I really like you, Maria,” Billy claimed. “And I didn’t wanna cause problems for you and your boyfriends. But now it’s obvious that you’re just trying to cover up what really happened so you don’t have to own up to havin’ feelings for me.”

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure the only thing she feels is disgust,” Michael muttered angrily. He looked right at the dean and said, “Do you understand now why I hit this guy?”

“He’s lying through his teeth,” Maria added. “I don’t have feelings for him. I never did. I’m in a committed relationship with the father of my son. And even if I wasn’t, what reason would I have to lie about any of this?”

“ ‘cause your boy here’s goin’ down,” Billy said, gesturing to Michael. “And you knew that, so you swooped in with some lies to save his ass.”

Billy’s father tugged on his arm, urging him to be quiet again. But Michael actually wanted him to keep talking. The more he said, the worse he was making himself look.

They were allowed to take a twenty minute break, but then it all started back up again. And it wasn’t pretty. As part of the investigation, the dean and his colleagues had apparently done a little research, dug into the past. And what they found in Michael’s past wasn’t so flattering.

“Mr. Guerin,” the dean said, sliding a few documents across the table. “These are copies of police reports, one from April of three years ago, one from May. It seems to me that you’ve been involved in your fair share of physical altercations. One of them was even with your own father.”

Michael took a quick look at both of them, and he knew what incidents they were describing. “Yeah, fight in McDonalds,” he recalled, sliding the top one back to the dean. “My dad was an emotionally abusive alcoholic. What do you expect?”

“And the other one?” the dean asked.

Michael didn’t want to think about the other one. “That wasn’t my fault,” he said, handing that report back over, too.

Behind him, Max—Max of all people—cleared his throat and piped up, “Sir, I believe I know what altercation you’re referring to, and I’d like to take full responsibility for it. Michael acted in self-defense and in defense of a child that night. He didn’t do anything wrong, and that’s why I’m the only one who was charged with anything.”

Way to try to make yourself look good in front of Maria, Michael thought. But hell, if Max was openly taking the blame for the bridge incident, that worked for him.

“Michael, your high school transcripts also made note of a significant number of suspensions over the years, for various acts of student misconduct, in some instances, violence,” the dean noted. “There seems to be a trend here, wouldn’t you say?”

“Well, that’s an old trend,” Michael pointed out. “I’m a lot different than I was in high school. Just ‘cause I decked this loser over here doesn’t mean I’m gonna punch everyone I disagree with.”

“Yeah, Michael’s changed a lot since then,” Maria added in. “And part of the reason why he’s changed is that college has been such a good experience for him. You can’t take this away from him just because he was trying to look out for me.”

“My concern,” the dean said, addressing Michael directly, “is that this anger might manifest itself again.”

“It won’t,” Michael promised. “As long as Maria and I never have to see Billy again.”

“I’m not steppin’ down as TA,” Billy interjected. “You two are just out to get me here. You’re lookin’ to crucify me for somethin’ I didn’t even do when you’re the one who did somethin’ wrong. You’re the one who admitted you hit me. You might’ve given me a concussion for all we know.”

“We have been to a doctor,” Billy’s father said, “and preliminary findings suggest--”

“That your son’s an ass?” Michael cut in.

“Excuse me, young man,” Billy’s father growled, “but I do believe your attitude throughout this whole process reflects the unfounded hostility you bear towards me son.”

“Unfounded?” Michael shrieked. It took another hand on his shoulder to remind him to shut up. It felt more like Sarah’s this time.

“Can I just say something?” Maria jumped back in, raising her hand as though she were in a classroom.

“Go right ahead, Ms. DeLuca,” the dean said.

She sighed deeply. “Okay. I’m not asking for much. I wasn’t raped and I get that, but what happened was still wrong. But all I ask is that Billy do the right thing and step down as TA so I don’t have to see him in class every day. I’m not out to ruin his future or ruin his life. I just want him to learn from this and be apologetic about it, and move on. And I would like to be able to move on, too.”

You’re a lot nicer than me, Maria, Michael thought. Personally, he’d be content with seeing Billy burn in hell.

“And sir,” she kept going, “as far as your concerns about Michael go . . . there’s just nothing to be concerned about. This is not something he would do for just anyone, okay? There are about five women in the world who could get this kind of reaction out of him, three of whom are sitting in this room today.”

She was right. Her, Sarah, Tess, Tina, and his mom. That was it.

“Ms. DeLuca, I appreciate your input,” the dean said.

“No, don’t just appreciate it. Please, listen to me,” she begged. “I know Michael. He knows me. And he knows . . .” She paused for a moment, looking up at him with wide, uncertain eyes. “He knows about something in my past,” she said, “and that’s part of why he’s so protective of me.”

Michael frowned. Something in her past? Was she talking about . . .

“Maria.” He shook his head. She didn’t have to talk about that. “No.”

She didn’t listen to him, though. She just kept going, as if it weren’t unbelievably painful to rehash all of this, too. “Three years ago, I found myself in a situation that made me feel very uncomfortable, just like this did,” she revealed. “I wasn’t forced to do anything I didn’t want to do, but I definitely felt . . . pressured, I guess you could say.”

“Stop,” he said. She didn’t have to tell anyone about this.

“The situation involved . . . a sexual act,” she said vaguely, “in exchange for money. It’s not something I’m proud of; in fact, it was pretty traumatizing. But Michael was sort of the one to save me from going down a really horrible, dark path. And up until now, he was the only one who knew about it.” She lowered her head momentarily, hopefully just because she was emotional and not because she was ashamed. Because he didn’t think she should feel ashamed for anything she’d done. “I know this is a totally different situation,” she acknowledged, “but . . . it brought me right back to that moment in my life, and I’m sure it brought him back there, too. And he just wanted to save me again.”

The three people on the other side of the table all stared at her sympathetically. For once, they didn’t look like stone cold statues with no hearts whatsoever; they looked like actual human beings. “Thank you for sharing that, Ms. DeLuca,” the dean said.

She nodded and cast a quick glance up at Michael. He could barely stand to see those tears in her eyes. But he knew what had just happened. By revealing all of that . . . she had just saved him.

TBC . . .

-April
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 47, 11/06/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

At least Max knows what happened....
The question is, what is Michael going to do??
Thanks,
Carolyn
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 47, 11/06/16

Post by sarammlover »

Strength in numbers!!!! I am glad Sarah went to Maria. It was the right thing to do. I am also glad Maria told Max. I have to believe Billy will screw up at some point and he will get his due. What a pig! Great update!
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 48

Post by April »

Carolyn:
The question is, what is Michael going to do??
Try to get back to his normal life now that this is all dying down.

Sara:
I am glad Sarah went to Maria. It was the right thing to do.
Absolutely. And deep down, Michael knows that, which is why he won't really be mad at her for it.

Thanks for reading and leaving feedback! I appreciate it!

Part 48

“A toast,” Kyle said, raising his glass, “to Michael. Congratulations on being an unsuspended man. Cheers.”

“Cheers,” everyone echoed, tapping their glasses against his. Michael had to admit, this felt pretty damn good. He hadn’t expected the dean to announce the committee’s decision on the spot today, but after hours in that dingy, uninviting room, it had paid off. His suspension was over, and he wasn’t going to have to deal with any further punishments. Billy, on the other hand . . . well, his suspension was just starting. Two weeks was what he would have to sit out of class—and a performance he’d been scheduled to play guitar in for one of the music department’s showcase nights. And of course his days as a TA were done. Hence the celebratory meal at YellowBrix restaurant.

“You likin’ your water there, Tess?” Michael teased.

“Oh, you know it.” Disgruntled at the other end of the table, she took a drink, obviously wishing that she could be drinking alcohol with the rest of them. “No, in all seriousness, though, I am really glad this is over with, Michael. None of us wanted to see you get suspended.”

Except maybe Max, Michael thought. That guy’s presence was the only blemish at this victory celebration. Otherwise, it was great. Sarah on one side of him, Maria on the other . . . and stupid Max right next to Maria. It didn’t matter if he’d actually had his back in that interrogation room. He still hated the guy.

“Yeah, it’ll be really nice to get back to normal,” Sarah said, lifting back the napkin on the bread basket. All the rolls were gone, though, so Michael gave her his. He needed to save room for the main course anyway.

“Took a little longer than it should have,” Maria said, “but at least the end result is what it should be.”

Kyle chuckled. “Yeah, you know what’s great? Billy was the one to bring this whole thing to the dean’s attention in the first place, and now it just blew up in his face.”

“Cheers to that!” Sarah exclaimed, raising her glass. Again, they all toasted and drank.

“Oh, I think I have to pee,” Tess announced suddenly. “Sarah, come with me.”

“Alright,” Sarah chirped. “We’ll be back.”

Michael rolled his eyes as the two of them got up and left the table. Girls. What was it with their tendency to pee in herds?

He was glad Maria stayed, though, because he wanted to say something to her. They hadn’t gotten a chance to talk—just the two of them—all day. And they needed that.

“So Kyle,” Max said, “are you looking forward to being a father?”

“Uh, I’m kinda nervous,” Kyle confessed, “but I’m startin’ to get excited, too, so I guess that’s good.”

“Hmm.” Max smiled. “It’s a pretty good feeling. You and Tess know what you’re having yet?”

“You mean boy or girl? No, we don’t know that yet.”

Michael waited until they’d lulled themselves into the depths of conversation about fatherhood—something he couldn’t add to—until he spoke to Maria, his voice low, quiet. “You didn’t have to say all that today.”

“I know,” she said.

He put his elbows up on the table and folded his hands. “I wish you hadn’t. It was gonna go my way.”

“I just wanted to make sure of that.”

There was more he wanted to say, but this just wasn’t the place to say it. Not with Max sitting right next to them. Besides, their waiter was coming back to the table with a full tray of food.

“Alright, I gotta dig in,” Kyle said, rubbing his hands together eagerly. “When my girl comes back, she’s gonna eat half my food.”

When they’d all finished eating, everyone seemed full and tired and ready to go home. Sarah, Kyle, and Tess all piled into Michael’s car, and just as he was about to get in with them, Max sauntered up to him and said, “Hey, Michael?”

Fuck off.

“I just wanted to thank you, for lookin’ out for Maria,” Max told him. “And if I’d been in your position, I know I would’ve done the same.”

Hmm, Saint Max, not such a pacifist after all. He knew that Max could throw a pretty hard punch, but truthfully . . . he was glad to have been the one to do it.

“Anyway.” Max extended his hand for a handshake. “Thanks again.”

No, I don’t wanna do this, he complained inwardly, reluctantly shaking Max’s hand. He probably wouldn’t have even done it if Sarah hadn’t been sitting in the passenger’s seat.

Max left it at that and walked a few cars down to where he and Maria were parked. She was standing there, having watched the whole exchange, and she had this faint smile on her face, like she was hopeful that the tension between them was finally thawing. But Michael shook his head at her as he got into his own car, just to let her know that that wasn’t happening.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Night, mom.”

“Goodnight, honey.” Maria shut the door to Dylan’s room, happy that she’d been able to tear him away from the Xbox tonight. They’d played a board game instead, which had been nice. It had just been nice to have enough stress-free time to devote to that.

Unfortunately, when she walked back out into the living room, Max looked very stressed, and she wasn’t sure why. Maybe it had to do with missing a few days of work in order to help her deal with all of this?

“You okay?” she asked, sitting down beside him. She rubbed his shoulders, feeling the notable tension there.

“I just . . .” He held his hands out in front of himself helplessly. “I had no idea, Maria.”

“About what?”

“About . . .” He trailed off.

“Oh. That.” They hadn’t really talked about it, not even on the drive home. She’d turned on the radio and sang along to all the annoying pop songs instead. “It was years ago, Max.”

“But clearly it still affects you,” he said.

“Not really. Not like on a daily basis or anything. It’s just that . . . Billy brought those memories back a little bit.”

“What exactly are the memories?” he cautiously asked.

She shook her head. “You don’t wanna know.”

“I think . . . I need to,” he said slowly.

She let out a shaky sigh, not because she was nervous about telling him, but just because . . . she knew it was going to upset him. But he was right. He needed to know. “Okay,” she said. “Well, it was a few months before Dylan’s third birthday, and things weren’t really going so well. Um . . . I’d just lost my job, and I didn’t have any money, and my mom and I were fighting, so she kicked me out.” She shivered, recalling that feeling of hopelessness. She’d never felt anything like it before. “I was pretty desperate. I mean, Dylan and I were sleeping in the public library. That’s how bad things were.”

“I’m sorry, Maria,” he apologized, putting a hand on her lap.

“Anyway . . . I’m gonna spare you the gritty details. Basically I met an older guy who was willing to give me a hundred bucks if I gave him a blow-job, so . . .” She shrugged, embarrassed. “I did.”

“Oh, god.” He raked one hand through his hair.

“I know, it’s disgusting.”

“No, I’m not—I’m not disgusted by you,” he quickly assured her. “I’m just ashamed of myself. I never knew it got so bad for you. And maybe it wouldn’t have if I’d been with you, if I’d been helpin’ you out.”

“Maybe,” she agreed. She thought about it from time to time, how different her life might be if she and Max had raised Dylan together from the start. Maybe certain things would have been easier. But she probably never would have left Albuquerque if they had stayed together, and if she hadn’t done that . . . then she never would have met Michael. “It’s okay, Max,” she said. “Everything works out the way it’s supposed to.”

“But I just wish it’d been easier for you,” he said. Angling his whole body towards hers, he took both of her hands in his. “You don’t have to keep this stuff from me, okay? No matter how dark or ugly it is . . . I can handle it.”

“I know,” she said. But in all reality, it wasn’t the bad memories that she was so hesitant to share with him. No, he had a lot of bad memories of his own, a lot of dark moments in his past. He knew how to handle that stuff. Instead, the good memories were the ones she wanted to keep a little closer to her chest. Memories of root beer, a guitar, and a certain song.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael knew he should be more preoccupied with getting caught up in all his classes, but instead of studying, he was going to spend the day with Sarah instead. The past couple days had been rough on her, too, and he just wanted her to know how much he appreciated her.

“This is nice,” she said as they walked across campus hand in hand. “I feel so much more relaxed than I did last weekend.”

“Yeah, me, too.” Tomorrow he’d get his ass in gear and hit the books. Today, they were just going to hang out, maybe go out to eat, maybe go see a movie. Definitely go home and have some sex.

“I’m so glad it all worked out for us,” she said. “I was really worried for a minute there.”

“Yeah, you were hysterical,” he teased.

“Shut up, I was concerned.”

“No, I know.” In the long-run, he was glad she’d been concerned.

“Let’s sit,” she said, pulling him onto the plaza. “Sit and relax.”

He took off his coat and put it down on the grass. It was warm enough out today to lay there in a t-shirt. She lay down beside him, snuggling up to him like she would have if they were in bed.

“Mmm,” she moaned contentedly. “I think Maria was really brave.”

“Yep,” he agreed. Braver than he’d ever wanted her to have to be.

“To reveal all that stuff to everyone . . . it must’ve been hard,” she empathized. “Gosh, hearing everything she’s gone through makes me realize how simple my life is. I’ve just had it so easy.”

“Well, nothin’ wrong with that.” If he had the choice between a hard life and an easy one, he’d pick the easy one any day. Wouldn’t everyone?

“I mean, everything’s just sort of always gone the way it’s supposed to for me,” she reflected. “High school, friends, college . . . amazing boyfriend.” She tilted her head back and pressed a kiss to the underside of his jaw. “It’s really sad that she’s had to go through so much.”

“I know.” The only thing that comforted him was the fact that she’d made it through all those hardships, though, and ended up here.

Playing with his shirt, she said, “Your relationship with her was, like, intensely dramatic, wasn’t it?

“Uh . . . sometimes, yeah.” He had to downplay it a little, because the truth was, their relationship had taken enough twists and turns to fill a romance novel. Or two.

“Our relationship isn’t like that,” she said. “It’s pretty easy. It always has been.”

“Maybe that’s why we’ve lasted,” he supposed.

She smiled up at him. “Maybe. And you know what? I hope things are always easy between us.”

“But what if things get hard?” he asked. “Do you think we could handle it?”

“I think so,” she said.

“ ‘cause, you know, Tess and Kyle . . . things used to be really easy for the two of them. And now . . . not so much.”

“Yeah, but things are looking up for them,” she pointed out. “Kyle’s made so much progress these past couple months, and Tess is, like, glowing. They’re gonna have the cutest babies.”

“Plural, huh?” he remarked. “Let’s get ‘em through one first.”

“Oh.” She propped herself up on her forearm, looking down at him. “You didn’t know?”

He frowned, confused. “Didn’t know what?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael felt like he was hearing things. “Twins?” he echoed incredulously, staring at his best friend in disbelief. “Seriously?”

Kyle put his handheld weights down on the floor and chuckled. “Yeah, I was surprised, too. But that’s why she’s gettin’ so big, man. She’s eatin’ for three.”

“Or four or five,” Michael hypothesized.

“No, it’s twins. The ultrasound was pretty clear.”

Michael sat down in the recliner, still trying to wrap his mind around it. “When did you find out?”

“Monday,” Kyle answered.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Well, it’s not like you haven’t had a lot goin’ on this week.”

“Yeah, but this is good news. I could’ve used a little good news.”

Kyle reached down and picked up one of the weights again, using it to do bicep curls with his left arm. “It’s . . . head-spinning news to me. At first, Tess was kinda freaked out, too.”

“At first?”

“Yeah, but she’s doin’ better now. She and Sarah talked about it a lot, and that helped.”

Michael smiled. “Yeah, Sarah always knows what to say.”

“Plus, I’m not bein’ an ass about it,” Kyle added, “so that’s always good.”

“Always,” Michael agreed. “Hey, listen, bro . . . I understand why you didn’t tell me. But now that I know . . . holy shit, congratulations.”

“Thanks,” Kyle said, grinning. “Who knew I had such super sperm, huh?”

“Yeah, really.” Michael shook his head, still stunned. “Crazy. You’re gonna have two kids before your twenty-second birthday. You realize that?”

Kyle switched his weight to the other arm and kept lifting. “Don’t freak me out, man.”

“Sorry.” It was just so . . . ironic. A couple of years ago, he never would have pictured Kyle becoming a dad at such a young age. In fact, he’d always sort of pictured himself in this situation, as a father to Dylan and probably someone else by now. But . . . life had a way of turning out differently than he’d expected. Not better, not worse. Just different.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeing Max with a whistle around his neck and a whiteboard in his hand was nice. Liz knew he loved basketball, and it was great to see him have an opportunity to coach it. Even if the team didn’t seem to be very talented.

She got to the Sunday afternoon game early and approached him down on the court, where he was watching Dylan shoot free throws and giving him pointers. “Hey, you,” she said.

He spun around and smiled. “Hey. You made it.”

“Of course.” Luckily today wasn’t a tournament. The game would only last an hour or two, and then they could all head home and enjoy their evening without suffering the pain of bleacher butt syndrome.

“Dylan, try to make three more!” Max called out to his son. He came a little closer to Liz then, and remarked, “So I hear you went on that date with Alan, huh?”

“He told you?”

“Yeah. Said he thought it could’ve gone a little better.”

“It could’ve,” she agreed. Alan was gorgeous and seemed like a nice enough guy. There was no spark, though, nothing that made her feel like she just had to go out with him again. “I don’t know, he’s a really great guy and all, but . . . the chemistry just wasn’t there, you know?”

“You sure are picky, aren’t you?” he teased.

“No, I’m not picky; I just know what I want.”

“So what do you want then?”

She felt her breath stop for a second as she looked at him. What I want . . . she thought, . . . is not something I can have.

“Hey.”

She whirled around when she heard Maria come up behind her. “Hey.”

“Glad you came.” Maria motioned to the bleachers, which were still virtually empty at this point, and said, “Wanna come sit down?”

“Sure.” That was probably a really, really good idea. “Good luck today, Coach,” she told Max.

“Thanks.”

As she and Maria walked across court, she asked, “So . . . what’s been going on? What happened? What’d I miss?”

“A lot, actually,” Maria replied. “Did Max tell you anything?”

“No.” They’d only exchanged a few text messages this week, but she’d found it unusual that he’d backed out on taking care of Scarlet the night she’d gone out with Alan. “He just told me there was some crazy stuff going on that you guys had to handle.”

“There was,” Maria said. “But it’s over now.”

Once they sat down, Maria proceeded to tell Liz everything about the past few days. The creepy TA, her decision to tell Michael, and everything that had gone down with the disciplinary committee. Liz listened intently, because it was insanely dramatic. Quite the saga.

“Wow, Maria,” she said once the story was over. “That’s . . . wow.”

“Yep.”

You poor thing, Liz thought. Maria was a good person. She didn’t deserve to have to deal with such a creep of a guy in the first place. “And you’re doing okay now?”

“I’m good,” Maria assured her.

“What about Max?” He certainly looked fine down there on the sidelines, but it was possible that there was a little more going on behind the scenes.

“The whole thing just makes him really upset,” Maria said. “It upsets him that it happened, that I didn’t tell him right away, that it brought back some things from my past he didn’t even know about. But he’s been really understanding and super supportive throughout the whole thing. I’m sure he’s glad it’s over, too.”

Liz nodded. Of course Max had been understanding. He was understanding of everything these days. He probably didn’t even question why Maria hadn’t come straight to him. Or if he had, he probably hadn’t lingered on it too long.

“So . . . Michael, huh?” she said, treading lightly through this part of the conversation. “He is . . . intense.”

Maria smiled a bit. “Yeah, that’s a good word for him.”

“Did you know he was gonna hit that guy?”

“No. But I probably should’ve. Michael’s hit lots of guys.”

“Yeah.” Liz couldn’t recall him ever hitting a guy on her behalf, but then again, she’d never been in that kind of situation. “Isn’t that sort of how you guys ended up together in the first place?” she asked. “Didn’t he punch out some grabby customers in the Crashdown and accidentally get you fired?”

“Um . . . yeah,” Maria confirmed.

Does Max know that? she wondered. Would it even matter if he did? “And now he’s punching out someone else for you.”

Maria narrowed her eyes curiously. “What’re you insinuating, Liz?”

“No, I’m not trying to insinuate anything. I guess I’m just . . . wondering.”

“Wondering what?”

Wasn’t it obvious? Surely Maria had wondered the exact same thing. “Does Michael still love you?”

For a second, Maria bristled. She looked majorly uncomfortable with the question and immediately dismissed it. “What? No. Obviously. I mean, he’s with Sarah.”

“Yeah, but . . . does he still love you?

Maria looked right at her and reiterated, “He loves Sarah.”

That’s not what I’m asking, though, Liz thought in frustration. It had to be possible to love two people at the same time.

Maria’s posture relaxed, and she said, “Look, the truth is, Michael and I are always gonna have a connection. But that’s all it is, a connection. It’s not love. Not anymore.”

Liz nodded, but inside, she still felt skeptical. Michael and Maria were spending a lot of time together, and it seemed to her that they were getting closer. Maybe Max wasn’t worried about it, but . . . she was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The new week had never felt quite so new to Michael as this one did. He felt reinvigorated, like a freed man who was no longer being hunted down or something. He just hoped getting back in the swing of things would be easy.

When he showed up at Pound again, he checked in with Vanessa first. When she saw him come into her office, she nearly laughed. “Michael Guerin. Are you back from the dead?”

“Sorry I wasn’t around last week,” he apologized. “I had to deal with some stuff.”

“Is everything okay?” she asked.

“Yeah. It is now.” He sighed, inquiring, “How’s Jake?”

As if on cue, he heard a loud scream from out in the hallway.

He groaned. “Forget I asked.”

Lunch that day was Jake’s first official Circle of Friends, and since Vanessa was in a meeting, Michael was left to run it himself. He tried to assure himself that he was prepared, but in reality, he knew it would be a disaster before it even started.

Dylan was the first to show up in the office, and two other boys came shortly after. Jake himself was last, because he’d been in the nurse’s office crying. And screaming. Always screaming.

The crying stopped, but the screaming didn’t. The five of them sat around Vanessa’s desk with their lunch trays, all sort of staring helplessly as Jake nearly busted his lungs. Michael felt completely clueless as to what to do, so he suggested, “Hey, how about some music?” and navigated to Youtube on Vanessa’s computer. He clicked on the first music video that showed up, not even caring if it was appropriate. A song he didn’t recognize started to play, and Jake’s screaming got quieter, but it still didn’t completely stop.

“Does he like music?” Dylan asked.

“Yeah,” Michael replied. Sensing an opportunity to get some kind of conversation going, he asked the boys, “Do you like music, too?”

They all nodded, still watching Jake. It was almost as if they were afraid of him.

“My mom likes music,” Dylan said.

Michael smiled at him. “Yeah, I know she does.” God, what he would have done to have Maria there right now. She could have sung something. Maybe that would have been enough to calm Jake down. At the very least, his screaming was dying down significantly, though, as the song wore on. It was more of a squeaky whimper now, and it wasn’t so constant.

“I like Metallica,” Michael remarked.

“What’s that?” one of the boys asked.

“Only the greatest band of all time. They literally have no bad songs.”

Jake finally stopped screaming, and he started pointing to the computer adamantly, as if he were trying to say something.

“What’s he want?” Dylan inquired

“I don’t know.” Michael really wished he could read this kid’s mind. Would’ve made things a lot easier. “Maybe he’s just sayin’ he likes this song.”

A rare moment of silence descended upon all of them, and they were all finally able to eat a few bites. Jake never wanted to eat lunch, though. He was too preoccupied with everything going on around him

“I like Taylor Swift,” one of the boys mumbled suddenly.

Michael almost choked on his food. “Taylor—Taylor Swift?” What the hell? He couldn’t openly express his disdain, though, not when he was supposed to be a nice, easy-to-get-along-with staff member. So he swallowed his pride and said, “Yeah, she’s . . .” He just couldn’t bring himself to say really good or really cool, though, so he settled for “. . . really famous,” instead.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Something was different when Maria walked into Music Appreciation on Tuesday. She noticed it right away. People gave her weird looks from the moment she walked through the door. It was like they knew what had happened and were mad at her because she was the one responsible for having Billy removed from the classroom. And they probably did know. Billy was quite the popular TA and seemed like a popular guy in general. He surely had a lot of friends, and he probably hadn’t hesitated to give them his spin of the events leading up to his departure.

A lot of normal conversations quickly became hushed ones, and a lot of straight-on stares became subtle sideways glances as she came further into the room. She was certain they were talking about her, as if they knew the full story. But all they knew was that their favorite TA was gone.

Suddenly, she felt a presence beside her. Not just any presence, but Michael’s presence. He said, “Let’s go,” and motioned his head towards their seats.

She smiled at him. As ridiculous as it was, just having him there with her made this easier. She didn’t care if anyone was talking about her now. All she cared about was that she was with him.

As they walked together towards their beloved back row seats, she felt his hand on the small of her back, and she felt all the curious eyes stop paying attention to her. It was nice.

TBC . . .

-April