Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (AU,M/L,ADULT) COMPLETE

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (AU,M/L,ADULT) COMPLETE

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

OF SECRETS, HEALERS, AND FAE
BANNER BY FRENCHDREAMER

Title: Of Secrets, Healers, and Fae
Author: Shadowlynxbehr
Disclaimer: Roswell and its associations do not belong to me, so please be kind :?
Pairing: M/L
Rating: ADULT
Summary: Liz, a young maiden who believes there's more to life than what her father and stepmother want for her often wanders into the nearby forest to use a gift she was born with which she hides from the rest of the world. There she meets a stranger who is more than he appears to be.

Author's Note: This is my first 'fairy tale' of sorts that I've ever written. For those who know me, you know I tend to write more supernatural or everyday kind of stories. Also, for those of you used to my other stories which included all of the characters of Roswell....this one ONLY has Max and Liz. None of the others are in this one. There are brief appearances by Jeff Parker and Max's parents, but that is it. Yes, another first for me to concentrate solely on the Dreamers ;) . So, here we go....

Intro

Once upon a time, in an alternate universe where things are not always what they seem, comes this little feel good story. Here there are things that take on appearances that are so opposite from what they really are. Even behaviors and emotions are hidden deep beneath the false surface.

Here one can dig deep within to find courage buried within the meek. And here one can find the strength in friendship, the wisdom in innocence, and the truth in deception. But most of all, if one has faith in the unknown, they may even find love within the magic.

Part 1

Our story begins within a very nice, large manor where a very nice, fair man lived with his second wife and his daughter. The nobleman, Jeffery Parker had remarried nearly five years after his first wife had died in childbirth. Since five years was more than enough time for Lord Parker to grieve over the loss of his beloved Nancy, he finally decided to take another to wife for the sake of having a mother for his beloved daughter, Elizabeth.

Lara had been the perfect choice for all concerned. A woman who loved to tend and care for all children regardless of their birth, Lara could have no children of her own. Luckily for her, she was of the right age to marry Lord Parker and help raise his only daughter.

Even after her father remarried, Elizabeth Parker never wanted for love. Raised and cared for by both Lara and Jeffery, Elizabeth was surrounded by people who took joy in her presence. A happy, energetic child she was spoiled unmercifully by her father and allowed to run free with the local children by her stepmother.

True, both parents taught her right from wrong and she was punished if she did something so wrong as to endanger herself or others around her. However, she wasn’t taught to believe she was better than those around her. She was taught that everyone and everything had a place in the world and most of them had earned their right to be there.

Of course, the world wasn’t all perfect and Elizabeth knew that. She knew there was a mix of bad and good things in the world whether it be human or otherwise. All that mattered to her family was that she live her live as best she could and to treat others as she would have them treat her.

As much as her elders tried to instill a good dose of conscience and intelligence in Elizabeth, she was still allowed some liberties that most of the nobility often frowned upon when it came to how a child should behave. Unlike many of the more stodgy noble folk and their kin, Elizabeth was allowed to run around barefoot while wearing threadbare dresses or breeches.

With her hair loose and flowing free, she was allowed to run through the meadows and play out in the rain. She was allowed to make mud pies with the children in the village and chase frogs in the fields. No one in the manor ever complained with Elizabeth returned home from play covered in mud and whatever else she’d managed to crawl around in. For they all knew Jeffery and Lara both had said there was no harm in play if all it took was a good washing down to get things looking clean again.

For her part, Elizabeth was a dutiful child. Always listening to her parents when they told her she couldn’t do something at that particular time. She knew to listen for the time being because in the end, she would be allowed a reprieve for good behavior. She never complained or balked when she was asked to help her stepmother in the care of the manor.

Even as she grew older, Elizabeth continued to love both her father and stepmother unconditionally. Always there to lend a helping hand to her parents or one of the servants and maids of the manor, Elizabeth never took anything for granted. With a smile and eagerness to try anything once, she loved helping others knowing she would often come away having learned something new or simply with the knowledge that she’d been able to lend a hand.

For over a decade, life at the Parker Manor passed by with relative ease and gaiety for all those who lived there. Then just weeks past Elizabeth’s eighteenth birthday, things started to change.

Suddenly, those that had once allowed Elizabeth to run among them found excuses not to be able to spend time with her. Finding it hard to come across anyone willing to run free with her as they once did, Elizabeth had no idea that her parents had been the ones to put them up to it. She wasn’t aware of the fact that word had gotten out that no one was to encourage her to act like one of the villagers as she’d once done.

And just when she was about to inquire as to what was going on with those she’d considered her friends, her parents both took her aside and told her she was to start taking formal lessons. Lessons on how to behave like a proper lady of the manor.

Almost overnight, Elizabeth was made to dress in nothing but elegant gowns made of the finest lace and silks money could buy. She had to wear delicate satin slippers on her feet and she was no longer allowed to wear her hair loose and wild. Most of all, she was not allowed to play outside where she could get mud on her clothes or dirt under her nails.

In spite of all the new changes and stricter rules, Elizabeth never felt like her parents no longer loved her. They simply seemed to impose new rules on her and had a hand in enforcing the new changes themselves. Nearly every day found Elizabeth with one of her parents as they taught her the things they believed she needed to know as a proper lady.

From her father, she learned how to dance and how to stand at a man’s side as well as some of the other etiquette that was proper between a man and woman. From her stepmother, she learned everything else a lady of the manor needed to know. It didn’t take long before she began to see less of her father and more of her stepmother as Lara began to take over most of Elizabeth’s training.

When that started happening, Elizabeth began to invent more and more ways to get out of her lessons. She knew Lara’s heart was in the right place and that she was only doing what Jeffery had asked her to do, but that didn’t stop her from wanting things to go back to the way they once were. Elizabeth didn’t want things to change. And the more her parents tried to change things, the more she found ways to escape.

Nearly a year had gone by and still Lara had her work cut out for her as Elizabeth continued to elude her lessons time and again. As the months to her nineteenth birthday began to pass by, Elizabeth was growing more and more restless and unhappy. Now she was beginning to feel out of place within the walls of the once cheerful manor.

Standing on the small stool in front of a mirror, Elizabeth frowned at her distorted image. Two maids and her stepmother fluttered around her as they constantly hemmed and hawed over the new dress she was being fitted with. Shifting from one foot to the other, she gave a soft sigh prompting Lara to tsk at her.

“Must you keep putting your weight on one foot my dear? We cannot possibly get a straight hem on the bottom of your dress if you cannot stand still on both your feet!”

Elizabeth raked her hand through her hair, forgetting that it was neatly pinned up on her head. With a grimace, she answered her stepmother. “I cannot possibly stand still when these slippers are trying to squeeze my feet!”

The slippers in question happened to be a brand new pair made to match the new dress she was being fitted with. They had wanted her to wear the slippers with the dress so as to make sure it was the proper length and not too high as to show off her ankles.

As Elizabeth shifted once more, causing one of the maids to accidentally prick her own finger, Lara placed her hands on her hips and glared up at her.

“Really Elizabeth! If you could hold still for just a few more moments we will be done!”

Elizabeth pursed her lips and refused to say anything as she forced herself to stand straight on both feet while the maids worked on finishing the dress. Turning her head, she looked out of the window at the bright world that beckoned her.

Ever since she was a child she’d had a thing for the outdoors unlike either of her parents. She’d once overheard her father say that her birth mother had also loved the outdoors just as she did. Never having known anything about her mother, Elizabeth had held that one thing close to her heart. It was the only feeling of kinship she had for a mother she would never have the chance to know.

She’d asked her father about her mother when she’d been younger, but Jeffery had never wanted to speak of her. And when she’d tried to get others whom she knew had lived alongside Nancy to talk about her, they would quickly change the subject. So Elizabeth had grown up never knowing but a single thing about the woman who had given birth to her.

That was why she held on to the knowledge of her mother’s love of the outdoors with everything she had. And that was why she had made a silent vow to always have a way to escape to the outdoors. For it was there where she believed she could feel her mother close by. It was as if her mother lived out there where nature ran free. Elizabeth even believed she could hear her mother’s laughter in the wind that blew across the land and ruffled through the hair she always wore loose when she was out there.

Lost in her daydreams, she wasn’t aware that the dress had been finished until Lara spoke up again.

“Elizabeth, child! Where are you now?”

She blinked a few times before looking down at Lara. “I’m standing still! I am!”

Lara huffed daintily. “Yes well, it is done. Now come down off that stool so that we may remove the dress before you ruin all our hard work.”

She did as she was told and stepped down with the help of the two maids. The dress was carefully removed before one of the maids cautiously carried it out of the room so that it could be sewn by a seamstress. The other maid remained behind to help Elizabeth into another one of her dresses.

“Why do I have to get dressed in this? I am not going to do anything important today, am I?” she asked Lara.

Lara gave her a scolding look. “It matters not what you are doing, child. You must always present yourself as the lady of the manor. That is the way it is.”

“But I’m not the lady of the manor. You are.”

“One day it will be you, Elizabeth. And your father and I have been remiss in making sure you are properly trained to take up that duty.”

She ran an agitated hand through her hair once more, yanking at the now disheveled do. “But what if I do not want to take up that duty!”

Lara gaped at her for a moment before she remembered her place. “You are the daughter of Lord Jeffery Parker! And as such you were born into nobility. You have no choice but to take up that duty one day!”

Elizabeth shook her head with disgust as the maid gave a slight curtsy before leaving the room. Once she was gone, Lara moved closer to her stepdaughter and gave her a sympathetic smile. Patting her on the arm, Lara spoke softly to Elizabeth.

“I know it is not easy to learn all these things, my child. Your father and I have only ourselves to blame for the difficulties we have to put you through now. But for what it’s worth, you have been learning things with more grace and dignity than either of us could have hoped for. We only hope that when the time comes, you will be able to put all of your knowledge to good use.”

Elizabeth nodded slowly as Lara gave her a small hug and kissed her on the cheek.

“Now then, why don’t you try to finish the embroidery you are working on while I go see to getting our supper started.”

Once more Elizabeth nodded as Lara made her way out of the room.

The moment the door closed behind Lara, Elizabeth made a beeline towards the chest she kept beneath one of the windows. As quickly as she could, she got out of the dress she had been made to wear and tossed it onto the bed. Opening the chest, she pulled out the worn dress she’d rescued from being discarded by one of the maids.

This dress was of a dirty brown color with a hem that barely reached her calves. Still the skirt of it was wide enough to allow her the movement she would need to climb down the trellis that ran along the wall from her balcony to the ground.

Once she’d donned the simple dress, she fished out the worn shoes she’d managed to convince a stable hand to part with. The soles of the shoes were thick enough to allow her to run fast without worrying overmuch about damaging the soles of her feet, plus they would provide good traction on the climb down the trellis.

The last thing she quickly did was to braid her hair until it was one thick braid down her back which she tucked into the back of the dress so it wouldn’t snag on anything while she climbed down. The moment she was ready, she shut the chest and walked out onto her balcony.

At the far left side of it was the trellis she always used to climb down when she wanted to escape her lessons. Grasping the side of it, she leaned over the edge of the balcony railing and slung her legs over it one at a time. With grace that showed years of practice, she quickly scurried down the trellis until she was on the ground.

Glancing left and right to first make sure no one was around, she took off at a run heading straight for the woods at the very back of her father’s land.

********************************************************************************

Jeffery barely glanced up as he heard the door to his study slide open, then close just as quietly. He didn’t even look up as Lara made her way to his side and leaned down to kiss the top of his head.

It was another few moments before he finally glanced up at her. “How was the fitting?”

Lara sighed. “As good as it could possibly be given the circumstances.”

He sat back in his chair and ran his hands over his face in agitation. “I should have never let her be so free as a child.”

Lara ran a comforting hand over his shoulder. “It is not your fault for loving her so much, Jeffery. She is your only child and a lovely one at that. Who could blame you for raising her the way you did.”

He shook his head. “I blame myself. I knew she would have to grow up someday, but I kept thinking I could put it off another year and then another one. Then before I knew it, the time had passed by. Now I’m only praying she’ll come to her senses and realize that she has to follow a set of rules just as you and I do.”

“I’m sure she will,” replied Lara.

Jeffery looked up with a hopeful smile before patting her hand that was resting on his shoulder. “Well, I am most glad she has you for an example. So long as you continue to teach her and give her the guidance she needs, I can’t see why she wouldn’t be influenced by you.”

Lara gave him a smile and watched as he leaned over his work once more. As he shuffled through his papers, she moved to stand near the window. Just as he spoke up once more, her eyes spotted movement just along the outskirts of the woods.

“I still count my lucky stars for having found you before Elizabeth could get too old. She needs a mother’s love and guidance to become the proper lady she must be one day.”

As she sadly watched the tiny figure disappearing into the woods, Lara softly replied. “Yes, she does.”

Unlike Jeffery, Lara knew just which mother had the ear of the young Elizabeth. And as her eyes scanned the line of trees that had swallowed up all movement, Lara knew it wasn’t her.

TBC...
Last edited by Shadowlynxbehr on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult) Pt 1 2/26

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

Response to feedback on previous page.....

Part 2

A soft sound of fear whispered through the darkened room. “No!”

Sheets moved against cloth as the body tossed and turned in the bed. The nightmare had the mind fully in its grasp as the body panted and shook its head in denial.

“Innocent!” came the breath of sound. “She was innocent!”

In the nightmare, a huge crowd of villagers followed three figures in the lead. Almost every one of them carried a torch, pitchfork, or blunt club of some kind. Shouts and murmurings echoed through the night as they stormed their way through the village, heading for a clearing in the center.

It was there where two of the people in the lead came to a stop. The one being held between the two continued to struggle and plead with them. Her cries and pleas fell on deaf ears as they dragged her towards one of the many poles that had been placed in the clearing.

Several of the poles were already blackened from previous use, but there was one which had a pile of kindling surrounding the base of it. It was to this one that the three figures moved.

The closer they got, the more the woman screamed and tried her best to get free of her captors. Unfortunately her captors were too strong and they continued to drag her to the pole, lifting her up and setting her back against it.

The rest of the crowd began to surround the pole and kindling, holding their torches high so as to shed some light on the others. The woman looked around the crowd with pleading eyes as her captors pulled her arms back and fastened them with some rope behind the pole.

She cried out as the rope bit into her wrists, but neither one of her captors showed her any mercy. They tested the rope to be sure it would hold before jumping off the pile and joining the others in the circle.

As soon as they were down, a lone man walked forward holding a torch high above him. Without looking at the woman, he began to say a soft prayer to ward off evil. All through his prayer, the woman continued to beg the crowd to let her go saying they were making a mistake. She was innocent.

But no one paid her any mind as they all bowed their heads and listened to the man praying. When he was done he walked towards the pile of kindling, ignoring the sobs and tears that leaked down the woman’s face.

He lowered the torch to the kindling as he whispered, “May the gods have mercy on you and forgive you for the evil you brought to our village!”

As the kindling caught fire, her screams increased and she struggled hard against her bonds to no avail. She tried looking through the crowd once more, hoping someone would free her, but no one came. And her family was no where in sight.

The flames spread, moving towards the pole and finally catching the ends of her dress. As the smell of burned flesh began to waft through the air and the flames rose higher and higher, several members of the crowd turned their heads.

No one noticed the small figure hidden behind one of the nearby houses or heard the childlike gasp of horror as the little girl pushed away from the wall and ran as fast as her little legs could carry her.

She ignored the tall grass that slapped against her bare legs and the stones that bit into the soles of her feet, as the cries and moans of the woman faded into nothingness. Running blindly, she’d been desperate to make it back to the safety of her room until a huge black shadow rose up from the ground.

The scream echoed around the room as the dreamer came awake with a start and sat up clutching the sheets to herself. Elizabeth let out a sigh of relief as she realized she’d been dreaming again. Running a shaky hand through her hair, she leaned back against her pillows and tried to calm down as she thought about the dream.

It was one that she’d dreamed from time to time over the last few years. Ever since she’d witnessed the poor woman’s persecution, she’d dream of it. Although there were slight differences from the actual event, it still haunted her from time to time.

A year after her mother had died, Elizabeth had been staying in the village with one of her nursemaids since her father had been away on business. Unable to sleep, Elizabeth had snuck out of the house intending to pick wildflowers that grew behind the house.

It was while she’d been picking them that she’d heard the distant sounds of shouts. Had she been inside, she wouldn’t have heard it. As it was, she was a curious child outside so she went in search of the noise.

What she saw would haunt her forever. By the time she’d reached them, they already had the woman tied up to the pole and the fire was just starting to catch in the kindling. Elizabeth had gotten a look at the woman’s face and she immediately recognized her.

Maggie was a housewife with a little known ability to administer to the sick. It was that ability that had gotten her persecuted. Elizabeth had looked around the crowd for Maggie’s husband and two children, but they were nowhere to be found.

Then Maggie’s screams had reached her ears and she saw the flames burning the ends of her dress. That had been all she could take as she turned and ran away. Instead of running back to her nursemaid’s house, she ran all the way back to her own home.

That’s when the shadow loomed out of the dark and startled her. Before she had a chance to react anymore, her father had wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. The moment she’d realized it was her father, she’d clung to him like a lifeline and sobbed into his chest.

He’d never asked her about that night, assuming she’d just missed him and their home and Elizabeth had never wanted to let him know any different. Later, she found out that her father had no idea what had happened in the village and the reason she’d run into him was that he’d been returning home late that night.

The nursemaid however was a different matter. Elizabeth found out that she had known what had happened that night and when Elizabeth tried to tell her that Maggie was innocent, the woman told her never to speak of such evil again.

After that, Elizabeth had found a way to get her father to let the nursemaid go. There was no way she’d be able to stand the woman’s presence. Especially when she got older and realized she had her own secrets to hide.

Granted, her gifts were completely legitimate as compared to Maggie’s. All Maggie had been capable of doing was gathering herbs and brewing them together to make good medicine to aid in healing. Unfortunately the people of the village were superstitious enough to persecute her for something like that.

Maggie had been innocent. Elizabeth knew she wasn’t, not with the things she could do. Granted, she too could gather the right herbs and brew them to make medicine, but there was more. And when she realized what she could do, she set out to keep those powers hidden least she meet the same fate as the poor, innocent Maggie had.

Not even her father knew what Elizabeth was capable of doing. Even after Elizabeth had inquired into the history of her real mother and that side of the family, no one but Elizabeth knew she had been trying to find out if her powers had been inherited somehow.

But as far as she could figure it out, her powers were her own. No one from either her father’s family or her mother’s family had ever displayed powers such as hers. Or if they did have them, they’d kept them a complete secret like Elizabeth was now doing.

Sighing as the last of the nightmare faded away, Elizabeth snuggled down into her bed and closed her eyes intending to go right back to sleep. However, her respite was short lived as the bedroom door opened and in walked Lara followed by two maids.

As the maids busied themselves with opening the curtains and letting light into the room, Lara made her way to the side of the bed and pulled the covers down.

“Get up lazy bones, the day has already started without you!”

Elizabeth cracked one eye open and gave Lara a sullen look. “It’s still early in the morning! Whatever could be so important that you come wake me in such a cheery mood!”

Lara grinned at her. “Oh, you have forgotten already have you? Nice try, little one but you are going to get up and have a bath before we begin our lessons.”

Elizabeth groaned as she remembered Lara and her father saying they had hired a woman to come and teach Elizabeth the proper etiquette for dining with others, as well as everything else she would need to know while attending a fancy ball with the other nobility.

Lara reached over and took her hand, tugging her until she was sitting up. “Come on child, we don’t have all day! The maids will be right back with your bath water. They’ll help you to bathe and dress while I see to breakfast!”

As soon as she was certain Elizabeth was out of the bed, she left her to go do as she’d said. The moment the door closed, Elizabeth straightened up and scurried to the trunk against the wall. Pulling out the worn dress and shoes, she quickly dressed and threw her long hair into a thick braid down her back.

Without wasting anymore time, least she have no choice but to suffer through a day of tedious lessons, she quickly climbed down the trellis outside her balcony and made her way across the field to the woods behind her father’s property. She ran as fast as her legs could carry her, silently praying that no one happened to look out a window to spy her running through the field.

The moment she reached the safety of the woods, she breathed a sigh of relief. Looking back through the trees, the manor looked tranquil and majestic as if no one in it was aware of her escape. Oh, they’d be aware of it the moment the maids returned with the bath water to her empty bed chamber, but it would be too late then.

Even her father knew better than to try to search for Elizabeth in the woods, for she knew it like the back of her hand and could find some very good hiding places. They all knew she would return to the manor when she was good and ready and not a moment more or less.

A moment of guilt passed through her, but she stamped it down and removed her shoes before leisurely walking through the woods. As she strolled through the trees, she stopped every now and then to pick a flower or two until she eventually held a large bouquet in her hand.

She also stopped twice when she spied some good herbs which she could use to brew some medicine. Stuffing the herbs into a pocket she’d sewn into the side of the worn dress, she continued on her way through the woods. Obviously in no rush to go anywhere, she took her time, enjoying the scent and sounds of her surroundings.

Eventually she came upon a clearing where a small pond sat in the middle of. The pond was a narrow oblong shape which was shaded at one end by huge trees that grew right on the waters edge. Situated among those trees were small rocks which Elizabeth had always found perfect for sitting on and enjoying the tranquil pond.

She made her way to the rocks and climbed up one before sitting on the edge and dangling her feet down into the water. As soon as she was comfortable on the rock in the shade, she put her bouquet in her lap and began to fashion a garland out of the flowers she’d collected.

She was only partly done with it when she heard the bushes to the left of her rustle softly. Slowly lifting her head, she scanned the bushes trying to see what was there. Alas, the sound stopped and she could see nothing, so she returned to her garland.

Once more the bushes rustled and this time when she slowly looked up, a buck slowly meandered into the clearing. Elizabeth smiled at the magnificent animal, but otherwise stayed completely still as the buck made its way closer to her. It only came part of the way as its gaze steadily remained on her.

When it stopped it pawed the ground and shook its head up and down as if trying to get her attention. Carefully, Elizabeth opened her mind towards it so as not to startle it as she asked it what was wrong. She wasn’t really talking to it in the way most people would think mind speech worked since animals didn’t speak English.

There was a sort of language flowing through her mind as if something took her words and translated them into the language of the animal she was talking to and vice versa. No matter what, when she spoke to the animal, it understood her and she understood it when it answered her.

The buck told her he had a younger male with him who was injured. Since none of them could help the youngster, he had hoped to find the human female whom several animals had claimed could heal their kind. Luckily for them, she had shown up today otherwise the youngster would have had to endure more than the two days of pain he’d already suffered through.

Elizabeth nodded as she shifted slightly on the rock. Setting down her garland, she asked the buck to bring the injured youngster out and she’d take a look at his injury. Shaking its head once more, the buck returned to the bushes and disappeared for a few moments.

Elizabeth had crawled down from the rock as the buck returned, nudging a younger buck into the clearing. Elizabeth gasped as she saw what was wrong with the youngster. It was literally dragging the back right leg as it struggled to make its way towards her. Clearly the leg had been broken and Elizabeth just hoped it was a clean break and not one which would be hard to fix.

She went down to her knees, allowing the timid animals to approach her without worrying about her attacking them. As soon as the youngster stood alongside her, she reached out with her mind and softly spoke to it, trying to keep it calm. As soon as she knew he would allow her to touch him, she gently placed her hand on the back of the leg at the highest point and slowly ran her hand down.

She was using both her powers and her sense of touch to see how badly the leg was broken. Granted, she still had a lot to learn about her powers, but she used them as much as she could. Thankfully, she was able to feel the break which was situated below the knee of the animal.

Looking around the clearing, she once more spoke to both of the deer, letting them know she was looking for a piece of wood to set the leg with. They both appeared to understand what she needed as the older buck began to search the nearby area for a good sized piece to place against the injured leg.

Elizabeth crawled away from the youngster before getting to her feet to look around too until the buck called out to her letting her know he found something. She slowly made her way to where he stood and smiled when she saw the piece of wood. Thanking him, she picked up the splint and made her way back to the youngster where she sat down besides him again.

Pulling out a stalk of one of the herbs she’d gathered along the way, she mashed it up in her hand and scooped up some water from the pond to wet it a bit. As the herb turned to mulch in her hand, she held it up to the youngsters mouth and told it to drink since it would help with the pain and swelling.

Hesitantly the youngster lowered its head and drank from her hand until all of the mulch was gone. Wiping her hand on the edge of her dress, Elizabeth moved back to the side of the youngster and began to work on setting the splint. She used her powers once more to help the bone begin to mend since that was all she was capable of doing.

That was why she had to set the leg with a splint in the first place. If her powers had been much more developed she was certain she could have mended the leg completely without having to put a splint on it at all. As it was, she always had to use a combination of rudimentary doctoring and her powers to help her patients heal at all.

Once she’d used what she could of her powers, she placed the splint against the back of the leg and pressed firmly but gently until the splint conformed to the contour of the leg. Taking a bit of string she always carried in her pocket, she began to bind the splint to the leg, making sure it was tight enough to give support, but loose enough so that the youngster could remove it when the leg had healed.

Thankfully the youngster remained still while Elizabeth worked on his leg, making it painless and easy for the both of them. When she was done binding the leg, she tried boosting the healing with a bit more of her power before sitting back from the youngster. As soon as she let him know she was done, the youngster bounded away towards the bushes.

She knew it had taken a lot for him to stand that still and trust a human like her. She watched it disappear into the bushes as the older buck followed it. Just before the older one disappeared, it turned its head and shook it at her then it too was swallowed up by the bushes.

Elizabeth knew that was all the thanks she was going to get, but it didn’t bother her in the least. Over the last few years she’d occasionally come upon an injured animal and had helped them the best she could. The first time she’d done it, she’d been upset when the fox sped off after she’d released it from the iron jaws it’d been caught in.

But now she knew that was just their nature to be skittish around humans. After all, they were wild animals of the woods, unused to the presence of humans of any kind. In fact, Elizabeth was certain that all the animals in woods only associated humans with pain and terror since most of the humans that came to the woods came to hunt its inhabitants.

No wonder they were hesitant around her, even when word had traveled around about her. She knew that was why the buck had sought her out. He’d probably heard about her from one of the other animals who’d witnessed her healing and kindness. But no matter what they all said about her, the animals would continue to be cautious around her.

As she knelt by the water’s edge to rinse off her hands, Elizabeth couldn’t fault them for their behavior. She was just glad she could do something to ease the young bucks pain. And she knew he was grateful for it even though he hadn’t come right out and said so.

Wiping her hands on the front of her dress, she returned to her seat upon the rock and went back to working on the garland of flowers. When she was done, she lifted the garland up and placed it onto her head before jumping down and going to look at her reflection in the pond.

She smiled at her handiwork before she took the garland off with a sigh. Looking up at the sky for a moment, she knew it was time to return home. Leaning forward, she tossed the garland onto the pond and watched it float over the surface for a few moments.

She knew she had to go back and that she’d be reprimanded for running from her lessons. She couldn’t be angry at her parents for wanting her to learn since she knew they were only thinking of her best interests. Still, despite the fact that she loved them and she knew they truly loved her, it didn’t make her want to go through the things they insisted on.

Despite her resistance to that, she squared her shoulders and began her trek back to the manor where she would bravely take the punishment and apologize for running off. Maybe, just maybe her parents would get the hint this time and allow her to go on living the way she wanted to live.

Maybe she would have her freedom. Then again, maybe pigs would learn to fly.

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult)Pt2(pg2)3/3

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

*****Response to feedback on previous page*****

Part 3

Elizabeth frowned as she plucked at invisible dust motes on her worn dress. For a few moments, she visualized the dust motes as Lara and the woman who’d been hired to train Elizabeth on the proper etiquette of a noblewoman. Picking at the dust motes, she squeezed them between her fingers before flicking them out into space.

Ever since Mistress Helena arrived a few days ago, both she and Lara had done nothing but drive Elizabeth nearly insane with their constant insistence that she practice, practice, practice! Not only that, but every time she turned around, the two of them seemed to be nit picking every little thing about her appearance and whatnot.

Elizabeth swore that she’d never known Lara to be such a shrew until that woman had shown up. It was like the stepmother she’d known and loved had been kidnapped and in her place was a look-a-like crone who found fault with every move Elizabeth made.

She’d done her best to grit her teeth and suffer through most of it, but enough was enough. Unable to face yet another grueling day under their scrutiny, Elizabeth had donned her old worn dress and hightailed it to the woods before they’d had a chance to trap her indoors for more of their insanity.

Sighing in gratitude of the surrounding woods and light breeze that kept her cool, she leaned further back against the tree and tried to clear her mind of everything that had to do with the manor. Tilting her head back, she stared up at the light that filtered in through the thick leaves of the tall trees.

It really was beautiful in the woods. Especially when there were light fluffy clouds in the sky, allowing the sun to play peek-a-boo with the earth. The gentle breeze stirred the leaves every once in a while, creating a symphony of sound that blended well with the melodies of the other woodland creatures.

Of course, Elizabeth couldn’t see most of the animals because they tended to keep themselves well hidden from her, but they certainly weren’t shy about singing the praises of the day. And Elizabeth was glad that at least she could enjoy her surroundings with the relaxing sounds to go with it.

Today, she hadn’t picked any flowers or stopped to gather any herbs for her medicines. Instead, she’d wandered around until she found the perfect spot to sit and relax. She’d found a tree with a part of its huge roots sticking out of the ground. The root was twice the width of her and it made the perfect shape for her to recline on.

She was leaning back against the trunk with her legs stretched out in front of her, her ankles crossed, and her hands in her lap. True, she wasn’t reclining in a lady-like position, but no one was around to judge her. She remained that way for quite a while before she received some company.

Out of the woods came a rabbit, approaching Elizabeth with caution just like all the animals usually did. Elizabeth waited until the rabbit stopped on the ground, just below where her feet rested. The rabbit rose to its hind legs and looked straight at her, waving its little paws slightly in front of its chest.

Elizabeth sat up slightly and opened her mind, allowing the rabbit to get used to her intrusion. However, the rabbit didn’t seem to be as afraid of Elizabeth as she’d first thought because as soon as she was in its mind, it gave her all the details.

The female rabbit wanted Elizabeth to hurry and follow her because her mate was caught in a hunter’s trap. The female was frantic that her mate was going to lose his forepaw if he wasn’t released soon because he wouldn’t stop trying to get himself free.

The panic in the rabbit’s mind was enough to get Elizabeth on her feet as she quickly told the rabbit to lead the way. Despite the fact that the rabbit took a path that was meant for small animals like it, Elizabeth did her best to duck and scurry beneath all the brush that the rabbit hopped through.

It wasn’t too long before they reached the male rabbit who was indeed trapped in one of the iron jaws that the hunters often left lying around in the woods. The female hopped right up to the male and appeared to be communicating with her mate. Elizabeth caught images in her mind which told her the female was trying to convince the male to stop injuring himself more and allow the human to get him out safely.

It took a while for the female to convince the male to stop moving and Elizabeth had remained still and quiet, patiently waiting for the male to come around. As soon as he seemed to calm down, Elizabeth touched his mind with hers and tried to soothe his fears as best she could.

Waiting a few more moments until she was sure she could approach the male without setting it off again, she got down on her hands and knees and crawled towards him. It was a slow process in which she would have to stop every so often to soothe the male a bit before crawling forward a few more inches.

Little by little, she finally arrived at the male’s side and began to explain to him how she was going to get him out of the trap. Thankfully the female remained at his side and added her own calmness to what Elizabeth was projecting with her mind.

Slowly, Elizabeth placed her hands over the forepaw in the trap and focused on sending some of her healing energy to stop the flow of blood and start the clotting that would eventually close the wound. As she continued to focus her energy, she began to slowly open the jaws around the forepaw, making sure she didn’t injure the male any further.

She grimaced when she saw the extent of the injury, most of which she knew had to come from his struggling to get out in the first place. As she pried open the stubborn jaws, she send more thoughts to the female, asking her to help make the male stay until she was allowed to heal him a bit more.

Thankfully, the male was in a better mood by then and listened to his mate as she asked him to remain still for a bit longer. Both Elizabeth and the female told the male that the human meant no harm and only wanted to make sure he would still have use of his forepaw.

When she was able to gently move his forepaw out of the trap, Elizabeth continued to hold it in her hands and sent more healing energy into the paw. She could feel her strength beginning to wane and knew she wouldn’t have enough power to completely heal him. However, she could tell she’d done enough to allow him to put his weight on it and she had managed to stop the bleeding completely.

Exhausted, she finally let go of his forepaw and sent images to both of them on what they had to do to clean the wound and make sure it didn’t get infected. The male moved away from her, testing the use of his paw before ambling off into the woods. The female remained behind a moment more to tell Elizabeth that they would try to follow her instructions before she too hopped off into the woods.

Lying on her back to catch her breath and regain some strength, Elizabeth closed her eyes to rest for a few moments. When she was sure she could stand, she got up and made her way back to the tree she’d been reclining against. Once more she leaned back against the tree and closed her eyes to rest.

The healing had taken quite a lot of energy out of her and she knew she’d almost taken it too far. But she couldn’t let the rabbit go without doing what she could for it, knowing that a creature like that was prime sport for any scavenger in the woods. At least this way, the rabbit had a fighting chance of defending itself.

It was a bit later when she woke with a start and realized she’d nodded off. Grateful that she hadn’t really been asleep that long, she scrubbed her face with her hands and crawled off of the tree root. She did a few stretches to help herself wake up more before she began the trek back to the manor.

With a wistful sigh, she hoped there was some good food waiting for her to help replenish her strength. Plus, she also hoped the two women weren’t lurking in a corner waiting to drag her back to those horrible lessons.

********************************************************************************

In another part of the woods, the female rabbit hopped along behind her mate. Heavily favoring his injured forepaw, he appeared to be limping along while his mate loped along with him. She was still trying to tell him that he had to care for his injury even as they made their way back to their burrow.

They were halfway home when a shadow loomed out from a nearby tree. It startled the female since she was the first to see it, but before she could take off in flight, a wisp of fog wrapped around her body and prevented her from running.

The moment the fog touched her, she went still. Not from fright, but from recognition. She immediately knew whose touch she felt against her fur, even as her mate recognized the shadow. Without a moments hesitation, the male bent his head forward in a sort of respectful nod. Of course, since it was a rabbit, it looked a bit odd to see it making a somewhat human gesture.

Slowly, the fog unraveled from the female before she too bend her head in a nod. The two rabbits remained that way as the fog seemed to solidify into a tall figure. There was no color to the figure, nor was there really a shape to it. However, it appeared to be taller than the average human male and almost as thick as they could be too.

At the top of the shape, there appeared to be a round shape much like a head which moved to and fro as if it were looking between the two rabbits. After a few moments, it appeared to tilt its head as if puzzled. A strange sound emitted from the fog, which in essence was a form of language.

It sounded soft and melodic, rather like the sound of a distant waterfall and wind chimes. Amazingly, the two rabbits appeared to understand the language very well as the fog figure asked them a question.

“How is it that you have been injured?”

Fog wrapped around the male for a moment before he was able to respond in kind. “I was caught in a human trap.”

“Yet here you are alive, and still injured.”

“Yes, mi’kine. My mate brought a special healer to rescue me.”

“A special healer?”
More fog wrapped around the male rabbit for a few moments before it suddenly withdrew and wrapped around the female. The fog figure’s voice rose a few octaves. “You dared to allow a human to approach you! Even after your mate was trapped in one of their traps!”

The female trembled slightly at the raised voice, but she still held her ground. “This female is different than most humans, mi’kine. She has a gift that helps our kind.”

“How do you know this?”

“We have heard talk of her from some of the other animals she has helped.”

The fog appeared to go still, as if it were thinking. After a few moments it spoke again. “She is human is she not?”

“Yes mi’kine,”
replied the male.

“And yet she has the ability to heal your kind.”

“Yes mi’kine,”
said the female. “She also has the ability to communicate with us, as you do.”

The fog figure appeared to be stunned at that news. It had heard about the human female who seemed to be able to heal animals in the woods, but no one had told it that she could also communicate with them. In truth, the animals couldn’t really talk to the fog figure, but it had powers which allowed it to manipulate them so that it appeared as if they could speak its language.

Briefly, it wondered just how a human female was able to manipulate animals in order to communicate with them. If she could do that, then she was more powerful than even it had realized a human could be. Curiosity got the better of it as it asked the rabbits where she was.

“We do not know where she lives, mi’kine. She is not always in the woods.”

“Well then show me where you saw her.”

The fog figure gleaned an image of the area where the female rabbit had met the human. It thanked the rabbits for their help before tendrils of fog wrapped around the male’s paw for a few moments. An ethereal glow began to surround the paw growing brighter and brighter until it suddenly winked out.

The fog slid away from the paw to reveal a completely healed appendage. There was no longer any evidence that there had ever been an injury there. The skin had been completely knitted together and the fur appeared to be undamaged. Even the chance of infection had been cleared away.

Once more the two rabbits bent their heads in gratitude to the fog figure before it sent them on their way. As they left, it turned in the opposite direction towards the area where they had seen the human female.

Not only was it curious about the strange human, but it knew it had no choice but to make sure the human wasn’t a threat to the woods it lived in and protected. Granted, it could not prevent humans from entering the woods completely, but it did its best to make sure the woods was in complete balance with everything that surrounded it.

It didn’t take long to reach the area where the trap lay discarded. The moment it came close enough, the scent of iron and blood reached its senses making it growl low. It drifted towards the trap, but stopped a few feet away from it.

With another angry growl, a few wisps of fog appeared to drift in the air over the trap before the ground literally swallowed the contraption whole. Satisfied that the trap was completely gone, the fog figure drifted along the area, following the scent of the human.

Eventually it came to a tree where the scent was strongest, but the human was nowhere to be found. It listened for a few moments, trying to hear any kind of sound a human female might make but there was only the usual sounds of the woods.

Drifting closer to the tree, more wisps of fog moved over the tree root where the human had apparently rested for a while. As the fog receded, ripples appeared in the air above the root. Then there in the middle of the ripples, an image appeared.

The fog figure seemed to be watching the slightly blurry image of what appeared to be a human female leaning against the tree. The image of the female didn’t move for a few moments until it appeared to suddenly speed up. Suddenly the female sat up and rubbed her face before sliding off the root and stretching.

The fog figure watched as the image of the female appeared to turn away from it before walking away. As the ripples faded away, the fog figure began to drift in the direction the image had taken. However, the further it went, the fainter the scent of the human.

Within a few minutes the scent had disappeared entirely. With a growl of frustration, the fog figure drifted this way and that trying to pick up the human female’s scent once more. Finally, it knew it had lost her scent for the time being.

It had no idea how a human female’s scent could fade so quickly or even if she had disguised her scent on purpose. Knowing it wouldn’t get an answer just yet, it decided to return to its lair for the time being.

However, now that it knew the general area where the human female tended to be, it would make sure that the next time the human ventured into the woods there would be ample warning. Next time, it would finally discover just who or what this human female really was.

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult)Pt3(pg3)3/17

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

Part 4

Nearly a week went by before Elizabeth was able to escape to the woods again. Unfortunately for her, when she’d returned that last time her stepmother and Helena had been waiting for her. After that, they had kept a close eye on her making it nearly impossible for her to escape without being seen. On top of that, they had her in lessons from sun up to sun down until Elizabeth was sure she was going to faint from exhaustion.

But today, her stepmother had gone down to the shoppes to get some cloth for a dress she was going to make. So, with only Helena to watch her, Elizabeth had taken the first opportunity she could find to make her escape to the woods.

As she made her way through the trees, she decided to go sit by the pond for a bit of rest and relaxation. Little did she know that this time there were plenty of hidden eyes watching her as she trekked through the woods.

The protector of the woods emerged from its lair the moment the fox scratched at the entrance. Rising as fog, it stood before the fox and wrapped a tendril around the animal. As the tendril receded from the fox, it nodded its head in respect.

“Mi’kine, the others have sent word. The human female has returned to the woods.”

“Who spotted her?”

“The ravens at the northwest end.”

“I see. You may be on your way then.”

Once more the tendril wrapped around the fox for a few moments, then when the fox was free, it loped off into the woods. The fog rose into the air and drifted slowly towards the northwest for a few seconds before it suddenly seemed to disappear.

It didn’t take that long at all for the protector to find the ravens who told him which direction the human had gone. Following the trail, the protector would come upon the other animals that it had set up as lookouts for her return. Each of the animals in turn would tell the protector which way the human went until it eventually arrived at the pond.

As it stood invisible to her eye, it watched her for a few moments. It sent signals to all the animals that had been on the look out to thank them and tell them that they were free to go their own way again. Once it was done, it moved slightly closer to the human to get a better view of her.

Elizabeth was sitting on one of the rocks dangling her feet in the water as she liked to do. She glanced up at the tree when she heard a few birds chirp and smiled at the sight of two sparrows sitting on a branch up high. One of the sparrows tilted its head and chirped as if talking to her.

Carefully, she opened her mind to speak to the sparrow. Thinking it was going to tell her about another animal that needed help, she was surprised when all it wanted to do was say hello to the helpful human female he’d heard so much about. She said hello back to the sparrow who then introduced her to its mate.

As Elizabeth chatted with the sparrows, the protector remained hidden and watched her. She seemed to be having a conversation with the two sparrows it had asked to talk to her. While they kept her occupied, it used powers to try to understand how she was communicating with the animals.

Without her knowing, it reached out with its powers trying to find some kind of clue of how she and the animals could understand each other. Clearly she wasn’t using the same method it used when it wanted to communicate with the animals, but she was doing something.

Failing at finding anything, it used it powers once more to see if she was something other than human. This time the results were clear, she was completely human and yet she had gifts unlike any human it had ever heard of. The fact that it knew she was human was more than it could take.

Instincts took over as it took on the shape of a lion and stalked out of the woods into her view. Thinking only that a human was intruding into its realm, it roared in an attempt to scare her away. She appeared to be startled as the birds took flight, disappearing high into the trees.

Elizabeth gawked at the lion that was steadily making its way towards her. She’d never seen a real lion before and had heard that it was extremely rare for anyone to ever see one. Rumor had it that lions had been hunted almost to the point of extinction because their pelts were prized by the nobility. She would never have dreamed of having the opportunity to actually see a real lion.

It moved closer to her and roared at her again. Frowning, she shifted on the rock and removed her feet from the water. Carefully reaching out with her mind, she tried to communicate with it to tell it she meant it no harm. But instead of being able to enter the lion’s mind the way she could with the other animals, she encountered what felt like an invisible wall.

In the guise of the lion, the protector was amazed at her courage. Instead of running away in fright as most unarmed humans were wont to do, this female seemed to be unafraid of it. In fact, it had felt the probe at the lion’s mind which meant she had tried to communicate with it, but since it wasn’t really an animal there was no way she would be able to breach the barrier of its mind.

Still, it listened as she resorted to talking out loud to the lion.

“It’s okay. I’m not here to hurt you. I’m sorry I can’t get into your mind. You have a rather strong wall in there, you know.” She paused as it appeared to sit on its haunches and stare at her. “Is there something wrong? I really wish I could talk to you so I could find out. Or at least to tell you that I’m not going to harm you.”

It tilted its head as it continued to gaze at her. Every word she’d said had penetrated the lion’s mind and reached the protector who had understood what she was saying. The human only seemed to show compassion for their inability to communicate, there was no fear in her voice at all. Deciding to play along for the moment so that it could discover more about her, the protector used its powers to communicate with her.

“You are not afraid of me?”

Elizabeth looked around as she heard a disembodied voice speaking to her. “Who are you?”

“Silly human, I am the lion.”

She turned wide eyes at the lion. “You’re talking to me? How is that possible?”

“I am not really a lion. I only took this guise in an attempt to scare you away. I have powers which allow me to speak into your mind.”

While she processed the part about powers, she responded to the first part. “Scare me away? Whatever for? I wasn’t doing anything to you!”

The indignation in her voice amused it. “You are intruding in the woods which I am the protector of.”

She folded her arms over her chest. “Protector of the woods? You? Well, I must say if you’re really the protector then you haven’t been doing a good job of it.”

The lion rose to its feet. “What makes you say that?”

“Every time I come here there have always been injured animals that I’ve tended to. Unless of course only the vegetation is under your protection and not the wildlife.”

She heard a growl in her mind before it responded. “I am the protector of the woods and everything that lives within it.”

“I see, then why is it the animals keep getting injured.”

“Do you have any idea just how large the woods really are? I do what I can to care for every living creature here, but our laws forbid me from preventing humans to come into this place. I cannot be everywhere at once.”

“So, you are the protector, but not omnipotent.”

“That is correct.”

She tsked. “Guess the woods are not that important to whoever put you in charge of it.”

Once more she heard the threatening growl. “I could kill you for your impudence!”

Appearing unfazed by that threat, she tilted her head in curiosity. “So why haven’t you then?”

The lion appeared to be baffled for a moment before it responded to her. “Because I have heard of your ability to heal and communicate with the animals. As the protector of them, I am curious as to how a simple human can do what you do.”

“Oh, so I’m saved by my abilities then.”

The lion grunted as if amused by her sarcastic remarks but didn’t comment on it. Instead, it made its way closer to her until it was sitting at the base of the rock she was sitting on.

“Tell me human, how is it that you have those abilities.”

“I think I could talk to you better if you’d address me as Elizabeth. It’s rather rude to keep calling me human. Every time you say that word, it almost sounds like your gritting your teeth.”

“Humans are the bane of our existence.”

“And yet here you are talking to me, a human.”

“You are not like the others.”

“Really? Well you are not like other lions either.”

It gave her a droll stare. “I told you, I’m not really a lion.”

“Then what are you really?”

“You would know me as one of the fae.”

Her eyes widened. “Are you really? Oh my! A real fae!”

It could hear the reverence in her voice as she spoke. It was amazed that she didn’t show any fear or disgust at the fact that she was talking to one of the fae. Most humans either feared them or looked down on them. She truly was an interesting human.

“Have your people not told you stories of my kind?”

“Of course I’ve heard stories! How else would I know what you are.”

“Most humans are afraid of us.”

She sighed. “True. They’re often afraid of what they don’t understand.”

“And you aren’t?”

She looked down at the lion for a moment. The last question was said in a soft tone as if it seemed to know why she’d said what she’d said. She rather liked the way the voice sounded. It was rather soft and had a sort of rhythm to it, very pleasing to listen to.

She couldn’t really tell from the sound of it, but she thought the voice sounded like a male. Then again, most stories she’d heard said the fae didn’t really have a gender like humans did. It made her wonder what this one looked like when it wasn’t in the guide of the lion. Was its true form a male, a female, or something entirely different?

“Elizabeth?” came the voice again, interrupting her musings.

“Huh? Oh, no I’m not afraid.”

“Why not?”

She shrugged. “I guess it’s because I am different like you are. I know that if they find out what I can do, they will be afraid of me too.”

Before the fae could ask another question, a doe came darting into the clearing. She appeared to be highly agitated which made Elizabeth reach out to connect with her mind immediately. The doe’s thoughts told her that her child was very sick and needed help right away.

Elizabeth crawled off the rock as she asked the doe to lead her to the child. Behind the two of them, came the lion.

“What is it?” asked the fae.

“She says her child is very sick and needs help.”

“Sick? Then there is no help for the child.”

She glared over her shoulder at the lion. “How can you say that without even seeing the child! Some protector you are!”

“There are some things even I cannot heal, human!”

She hmphed at the lion as she continued to follow the doe. Eventually they arrived at a dense brush which the doe was using as a home for her and her child. Elizabeth got on her hands and knees and crawled into the tiny space until she could reach the small deer.

It was lying slightly on its side and breathing hard. It barely moved when she reached out to place her hand on its side. Elizabeth could feel the dampness of its fur, indicating that it had a slight fever. Concentrating, she used her powers to sense what was wrong with the deer.

A few moments later, she crawled back out of the small space. The lion was sitting on its haunches right next to the doe who still looked frantic.

“It is as I said, the child’s mind cannot be healed.”

Elizabeth gave the lion a puzzled stare. “What has being sick got to do with its mind?”

The lion appeared to look as puzzled as she felt. Then, it clarified for her. “It’s mind, is it not sick?”

Suddenly Elizabeth understood what the lion had gotten wrong. “No. It is not a mental illness that is making the child sick. It’s the stomach. The sickness is a digestive problem.”

“Oh, then that is not so bad,” replied the lion as Elizabeth pulled out her herbs from her pocket. She looked down at them with a frown.

“Hm, I was sure I’d brought some with me.”

“What are you looking for?” asked the lion.

Elizabeth walked off into the woods as she replied. “There’s this herb that will help settle the child’s stomach. It’s for when the child has eaten something it shouldn’t have.”

“What does this herb look like?”

Elizabeth continued walking to and fro, scanning the ground for what she was looking for. “Well, it has rather thin leaves that are slightly yellow and…”

“Ah ha! I knew I’d seen some around here!”

She bent down and pulled several of the thin leafed herbs from the ground. Brushing the dirt from them, she turned to look at the doe. She told it that she was going to make something for her child to drink which would make him better. To do that, she had to return to the pond so that she could mix the herbs with water to make the drink.

The doe understood and said she would remain with her child while Elizabeth went to make the drink. As she began to head back towards the pond, the lion followed her.

“Where are you going? I thought you were going to help the child.”

“I am. I have to mix these herbs with water to make a drink for the child. I told that to the doe and she said she would wait with her child until I return.”

The fae was amazed that even a gifted human like Elizabeth would go through all that trouble to help an animal. It had powers that would have enabled it to instantly heal the child’s digestive problems, but it wanted to see exactly what Elizabeth was going to do.

It followed her to the pond and watched as she found a piece of tree bark to serve as a kind of bowl. Elizabeth tore the herbs up with her fingers until it lay in tiny pieces at the bottom of the bowl. Then, she scooped up some water and dripped it over the herbs.

Once more she took her fingers and pinched the herbs for a bit. Alternating between dripping water into the bowl and pinching the substance in it, she continued until it looked like some sort of thick yellow soup.

She pulled out another herb from her pocket. This one was a dark green and rather dry. She simply crushed a corner of it with her fingers and sprinkled it over the yellow soup. Then she used two fingers to stir it a bit before she nodded.

“That should do it!”

Getting to her feet, she returned to the brush where the doe and her child were waiting. The lion had walked back with her and now sat and watched as she crawled into the tiny space once more.

Elizabeth held the bowl with one hand while she tenderly held up the deer’s head with her other hand. Using her powers, she encouraged it to drink from the bowl. She waited and watched as the small tongue emerged from the deer’s mouth. Slowly, it lapped up the herbal soup until it was gone.

Elizabeth lowered its head back to the ground and once more used her powers to tell both the doe and her child that it would be a few moments before the herbs began to work. Then, she crawled back out of the space and sat down next to the lion.

“Now what?” it asked.

“Now we wait for the herbs to do their work.”

They sat in silence for a few moments before Elizabeth spoke up. “So, you are a fae then. What do they call you?”

“Protector of the woods.”

She shook her head. “No, I mean do you have a name like me. I’m Elizabeth.”

“I do, but you will not be able to pronounce it.”

“Well we won’t know until you tell me.”

The lion appeared to be thinking before she heard its voice again. “Very well then, I am called Ma’kshEvanyelzan.”

Elizabeth scrunched up her face at the strange sounding name. “Maaa…what?”

“Ma’kshEvanyelzan.”

She shook her head. “Okay, Max it is.”

It growled. “Not Max! Ma’kshEvanyelzan!”

She lifted her chin as she looked at him. “Well, you were right. I can’t pronounce it, so you are just going to have to settle for an abbreviation of your name. That’s Max. After all, my name can be abbreviated to be Liz.”

She heard a sigh in her mind. “You are a very strange human.”

She smiled at him. “I’ve been called worse.”

Just then the doe came out of the brush, followed by her child who looked somewhat wobbly on his legs but otherwise looking much better than before. Elizabeth moved closer to the little deer and placed her hands on its stomach. After a few moments of concentration, she sat back with a nod.

“It’s working. He’ll go to the restroom in a bit and all that bad stuff will come out then.”

The lion tilted its head. “Why did you go through all the trouble of making the medicine when you could have just used your powers to heal him?”

Liz spoke to the doe and her child first before she answered Max. “My powers aren’t that well developed. I can use them to heal, but it takes a lot out of me. So, if I can heal with herbs, it’s easier to do that rather than do it half way with my feeble powers.”

She rose to her feet as the doe and her child ambled into the woods. After the animals disappeared, Elizabeth turned to look at the lion. “Well it was nice meeting you Max, but I should be getting home now.”

The lion moved its head up and down as if nodding before Elizabeth began to make her way through the woods. It watched her go for a few moments before calling out to her.

“Elizabeth?”

She stopped walking and turned to look at it.

“Yes?”

“If you would like, I could help you learn to develop your healing powers. The next time you return to the woods, there will be a flower growing at the base of the rock next to the pond. It will be unlike any flower you’ve ever seen. Pluck it and I will come to you.”

Elizabeth smiled at the lion in gratitude. “Thank you, I’d like that very much.”

Once more the lion nodded and watched as she turned and ran through the woods. As she disappeared from its sight, the fae whom Elizabeth had named Max had just one thought.

Elizabeth was indeed one very unique human female.

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult) A/N 6/4

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

Part 5

Elizabeth reached out to pluck the flower by the rock and smiled. Before her hand had even reached it, she could already feel the displacement of air behind her. Straightening up, she turned to greet the lion with a grin.

“Keeping an eye out for me huh?”

The lion appeared to give an indifferent shrug as Max’s voice sounded in her mind.

“Bluebird and her family were in the area when you entered the woods, so she sent word to me that you had arrived.”

She simply nodded in reply before making herself comfortable on a thick bed of clovers which had suddenly sprung up next to her. Without even wondering about it, Elizabeth knew it was Max’s powers at work.

In fact, over the last few weeks she had been privy to a lot more of Max’s magic as he had helped her to learn more about her own powers. She’d also noticed that as she and Max the lion worked in the woods, animals often participated or watched them. Since the animals were becoming familiar with her, they would often alert Max to her arrival so that by the time she’d reached the flower by the rock, Max was already there.

Elizabeth never really questioned how Max always knew when she was there any more than she questioned his ease with wielding magic. She knew the animals probably told Max when she’d arrived and she was glad that his easy use of magic helped her to learn more about her own powers. In fact, she was glad for his help that she never even asked about his true form.

Max always came to her in the form of the lion even though she knew it wasn’t his real form. He had never told her what he really looked like, nor had he shown her. Still, she thought that maybe he was waiting for the right time to reveal his true self to her. Especially since she knew how mistrustful he was of humans in general.

Once she’d made herself comfortable, Max’s voice sounded in her head again.

“You had trouble getting to the woods today.” It was a statement.

She nodded as she picked at an invisible piece of lint on her dress. “Yes, my teacher was being extremely watchful today. I had to wait for the right time to get away.”

Before Max could comment on that, she continued. “So, what are you going to teach me today?”

The lion moved to sit besides her and gazed out at the water. “I was thinking you could begin to learn how to go into a body to heal an injury from the inside out. So far you know how to heal mostly flesh wounds and your powers are strong enough to be able to judge how much damage there is in the more dangerous wounds.”

He turned to look directly at her as he continued. “Because of that I believe you are now strong enough to go deeper.”

Elizabeth knew this was a big step for her in using her powers. Max had started her out by taking her on walks through the woods, helping her to learn how to identify herbs and other natural remedies to use in making her medicines.

After that, he had begun to show her how to strengthen her powers so that she wouldn’t get so tired easily. Sometimes she actually got to use her powers in healing one of the injured woodland inhabitants and Max was always there to encourage her and guide her until she couldn’t handle it on her own. If there was ever a point where she couldn’t go on, Max would step in and finish the healing.

He’d always explain to her exactly what he’d done, so she would know what she would have to do once she made it that far. Elizabeth was extremely grateful for Max’s help and encouragement and often told him of her gratitude. She was amazed at what a good and patient teacher he was in spite of her being one of the despiteful humans.

What Elizabeth wasn’t aware of was that Max had begun to view her as if she were a part of the woods just like everything else in there. Even Max wasn’t aware that he was treating Elizabeth as if she had always been a part of the woods which he protected.

The more time they spent together, the more Max began to instinctively treat Elizabeth as if she had always been under his protection. That was why he’d slowly, carefully taught her how to control and use her powers. And that was why he finally believed she was ready for the next step.

“You think I’m ready?” she asked.

“Yes, although there are no seriously injured animals in the woods today. Still, we are going to start simple. There are a few animals with minor cuts and bruises who have agreed to let you learn on them. I’ll guide you through the entire process. First by showing, then walking you through one. Okay?”

She nodded. “Okay.”

“Good then. If you’re ready we can begin.” The lion turned its head towards a thicket and Elizabeth watched as a stoat wandered out and sat in front of the lion.

When the stoat lowered its head in a customary bow, Elizabeth could see a small cut on its right shoulder. It looked as if something sharp had nicked its fur, drawing a few drops of blood. However, it was already beginning to scab, which meant it wasn’t serious.

She listened to Max’s voice as faint tendrils of fog drifted from the lion to the stoat.

“This will be the first time you will rely strictly on your powers. The first time you may have to close your eyes to be able to visualize the wound site you are working on.”

She watched as the fog moved to cover the cut in the stoat’s fur as Max continued talking.

“Using my concentration and some physical contact with the wound, I am attempting to delve into it with my mind. To become one with the wound site. Once I am inside, looking at the wound from the inside out, I can see if any infection has set in. If so, I can use my powers to get rid of it.”

There was a pause as he appeared to be doing just that.

“Now that there seems to be no infection, I will coax the wound to begin mending from the inside out. This also helps to leave less visible scarring. The way I do that is to visualize the tissue beginning to mend itself. Projecting my images at the wound as if I were walking it through the motions. Showing it how to regenerate tissues and get the blood flowing through there again.”

Elizabeth watched as the wound began to close just as Max had described. The tissue seemed to reach out and fill the once empty space. As it did, the color changed from white to pink to show that it was healthy again with blood flow.

“Okay, as that layer is healed, I move to the outer layer, the skin. By visualizing the skin repairing itself, I am coaxing it to do just that.”

Once more Elizabeth could see the folds of skin slowly moving towards each other until the tissue beneath could no longer be seen.

“I continue to coax the skin and the fur to heal until I can’t see a wound anymore.”

When Max was done, a tendril of fog moved over the area where the wound had been as if it were feeling for any irregularities. Apparently satisfied, the fog slowly unwrapped itself from the stoat and faded away.

“There. It is done and there should be no problems at all.”

The stoat moved away from the lion and walked about for a few moments before returning to sit in front of them. Tendrils of fog wrapped around the stoat for a few moments before fading away once more. Then the stoat bowed to the lion and ambled off into the woods.

Elizabeth knew without asking that the stoat had told Max that he was fine before thanking him and leaving. There were times when no words were needed for her to know what they’d said.

The lion turned its golden eyes towards her. “Now, are you ready to give it a try?”

“Sure.”

She watched as the lion rose to its feet and walked towards one of the sharper rocks. As the lion began to run hard towards the rocks, her eyes widened in realization. Before she even had the chance to say anything, the lion veered away from the rocks. However, it still managed to receive a gash along its left flank.

The lion made its way back to her and sat down so that she could have easy access to the wound. Turning its head to look at her, Max spoke to her.

“Remember, the first thing you need to do to a normal animal is to soothe it first and make sure it won’t interfere with your healing of it. But since I am not a normal animal, you don’t have to worry about that part. So, go ahead and establish physical contact.”

Still amazed that the lion had injured himself so that she could practice on him, she hesitated. “Oh Max! How could you do this to yourself?”

“It’s not a bad wound and doesn’t really hurt.”

“What if I can’t heal it?”

“You won’t know until you try.”

“But…”

“Elizabeth,” came his quick, but gentle reply, “I believe you are strong enough to do this. But if you can’t then I will finish it. Now, establish physical contact.”

Reluctantly she reached out and softly placed one hand next to the gash. Taking a deep breath to calm herself, she realized she was getting worked up over nothing. This was a fae she was dealing with and she knew they didn’t feel pain the way humans or even animals did. More than likely Max was already blocking the pain from his mind in order to let her do what she needed to do.

Reminding herself that it really wasn’t an animal she was working on, she firmly placed her palms against the fur on either side of the wound. Closing her eyes, she cleared her mind of everything except her visualization of the wound. Reaching out with her mind, she tried to imagine what the inside of the wound looked like.

Suddenly, without warning, she felt herself being pulled forward until she realized she was seeing the gash from inside the lion. With a gasp, she opened her eyes and nearly cried out as she felt herself topple back into her body.

Breathing hard she stared wide-eyed at Max’s inquisitive stare. “What just happened?” she asked.

“You were visualizing the wound from inside.”

She shook her head. “No Max, it was like I was actually inside of you, uh, the lion and looking out at the wound!”

The lion sighed as it shifted slightly. “Elizabeth, you weren’t really inside, but yes it does feel like you are. That is what it takes to visualize it. That is why I said you are gifted. You have the ability to really see the things you heal up close. As if you were really a part of it.”

“I wasn’t really in there?”

“No, but you will always feel that way. Just don’t let it overwhelm you and you will be fine. You can learn to control it so that it won’t control you, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Good, now let’s try this again.”

She nodded before placing her palms against the fur once more. As soon as she was ready, she began to concentrate. The image of the wound filled her mind until she began to feel the pull just like before.

This time she kept herself under control and mentally turned herself to look at the wound from the inside. She searched carefully until she was satisfied that there was no infection.

Still keeping tight control of her mind, she spoke to Max. “There doesn’t appear to be any infection.”

“Good,” came his reply in her mind. “Now visualize the wound healing from the inside and project the images at the wound the way you project your thoughts to the animals.”

Elizabeth focused once more, doing it exactly like Max had instructed. As she projected her thoughts, she could see the wound beginning to mend itself. She continued to project images as if she were showing the wound how to heal itself just like Max had described earlier.

“Good, Elizabeth. I can feel it closing.”

“Yes. Now I’m moving to the outer layer.”

Once more she projected images to the skin until it began to heal itself. As it closed up, she coaxed the fur to grow over the wound site until she had finally succeeded in healing the wound. Making sure she had done everything right, she slowly pulled her mind out of the wound.

With an exhausted sigh, she sank back to the ground. The lion turned its head as if trying to look at the area where the wound had once been.

“Looks good,” came Max’s assessment.

Elizabeth gave a tired nod as she watched the lion move towards the pond. Using his powers, Max formed a bowl out of the Earth and made it scoop up some water from the pond. Moving back to Elizabeth’s side with the bowl hovering in the air besides him, he conjured up another bowl of fruits and nuts.

“Here, these should help restore your energy again. We’ll rest while you eat, then I’ll let you try again on your own.”

Elizabeth nodded as she picked the bowls out of the air before settling back against a moss covered tree to take a much needed break.

“Elizabeth, you are not concentrating!” chided Max as he watched her sit back on her legs for the fifth time.

She gave him a pained expression. “I know, I’m sorry.”

There was a few moments of silence before Max spoke again. “Something’s distracting you.”

It wasn’t a question, but when Elizabeth didn’t say anything he added, “What is it?”

Elizabeth looked down at her hands for a moment before she looked up at the lion. “I was just wondering what the point of learning this is. After all, in my world they burn those with powers like mine. I can’t even tell my parents about my powers and as far as I know there wasn’t anyone else in my family with powers of any kind.”

“Why would they burn someone who only uses powers for good things? You heal people and animals.”

She shrugged. “It’s like I said, they kill anything that they don’t understand.”

She could feel the frown in Max’s voice as he replied, “And that is why my kind avoids humans.”

Elizabeth nodded as she gazed at the pond. “Yes, but I guess I’m just worried about my parents really. How this could affect them. After all, they are keeping me knee deep in lessons and whatnot so that I can become a proper lady. At least that’s what they keep telling me.”

“You don’t believe them?”

“It’s not that I don’t, I just wish they would understand that I don’t want to be a proper lady. Not the way the nobles define it anyway. I don’t see what the point is putting on fancy dresses and attending all these balls just to talk about the most uninteresting things with people whom I have nothing in common with.”

“Ah, I see. It is politics.”

Elizabeth frowned at him. “I know that, but I don’t see why I have to be a part of that.”

The lion padded over to her side and sat down next to her. Lifting a paw, it seemed to gently pat her knee in sympathy before Max spoke.

“I think I understand your point of view and even though you don’t like it, you must realize that the political web encompasses even the lowliest mortal. I don’t believe there’s a creature alive that isn’t caught in that web.”

“How so?”

“Let’s see. I would liken it to the games children play. The ones where you have to think or react quickly in order to win against your opponent. Have you ever played a game like that?”

“Of course.”

“In the wild, animals play those games all the time. Only they are not called games here. It is called survival. The prey must be quick or the predator will win and the opposite is true also. Do you see?”

She nodded. “Yes.”

“It is the same for you. You must think and react to those around you, trying to keep your secret from those who could harm you and help those who come to you freely.” She nodded once more before he went on. “Here you have to make judgments too. Do I help this one or that one? Do I heal them this way or that? Once more it is a game, yes?”

Elizabeth was quiet for a while as she thought over what he was saying. After a few moments she conceded the point. “Alright. I get it, but I still don’t like it.”

She heard his soft chuckle in her head. “I don’t blame you really. There are times when I don’t like dealing with politics either, especially when my family is involved.”

She turned to him with wide eyes. “You have a family?”

“Of course, don’t most creatures?”

“Well, I suppose. I guess I just never imagined your kind having families like ours.”

“There is some truth in the stories you humans tell of our kind, you know.”

“Really? Like what?”

“We have leaders and nobility too. The world is split up into groups of us. Wherever a group is, that is the family. The area that the family lives in and protects is often widespread, giving the younger ones a chance to go off and spread their wings.”

“So, your family is in these woods too?”

“No. My family’s domain is the whole of this continent. It is only I that lives in these woods. I am still young for one of my kind and as such, I was sent here by my father to learn my place in this world. So, you see I too must go through a trial before I can be deemed an adult.”

“And if you succeed, then you will become the lord of the manor in the same way my parents say I will become the lady of the manor?”

“That is correct.”

She gave him a puzzled look. “What happens if you fail?”

His reply was quick and matter of fact. “I will be cast out of my family. Disowned. And all of my kind will know of it. I will live like the weakest of the prey, hunted by my own kind until one of them succeeds in causing my death.”

Elizabeth frowned. “That’s not very nice is it? I don’t think my father would disown me and he certainly wouldn’t hunt and kill me.”

“That is the way it is, Elizabeth. Your father may not do those things to you, but you have said your people would hunt you if your secret got out.”

She shook her head. “Yes, strangers would. My family wouldn’t. What your kind would do to you, that’s just barbaric.”

Max was silent for a few moments before he spoke again. “Do not trouble yourself with the ways of our kind. Yes, to you they do seem harsh, but to those of us who are born into it, it is merely survival. I will do what I have to do in order to survive.”

Liz sighed, she knew he was right. Her world was different from his. It was evident in the way he carried himself, even in the form of the lion. She could hear it in his voice and in his manner of speaking.

And if she were to hear Max’s thoughts at the moment, she would know that he and his kind believed humans to be too soft and easily corrupted. For in the world of the fae, if there had been no rules, the humans would be one of the hunted.

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult)pt5(pg4)6/20

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

Part 6

Jeff glanced up as he heard the door to his study open. He frowned at the look on his wife’s face. “She has disappeared again, I take it?”

Lara walked into the room with her hands on her hips. “I just don’t know what else I can do Jeffery. The child will not take her lessons seriously and Helena complains all the time about Elizabeth being difficult.”

“Difficult?” he asked in surprise.

Lara rolled her eyes as she did a very unladylike plop into the chair in front of Jeffrey’s desk. “I think she’s just over-exaggerating as usual. Even though Elizabeth isn’t learning like we would hope, it’s not as if she’s being rebellious. It’s just that her mind is always somewhere else.”

Jeff signed as he looked out of his window towards the woods. “Well, we both know where her mind wanders to, don’t we?”

She nodded as she looked out of the window too. “Yes, to the same place she disappears to every chance she gets.”

Jeffrey rose from his chair to stand in front of the window. He wore a pensive look on his face as he stood there for a few moments before he finally spoke. “Makes you wonder just what she spends her time doing in the woods, doesn’t it?”

Lara shook her head as she looked down at her folded hands in her lap. “I have no idea, but how could it even be safe for a girl such as her to be alone out there? It’s a miracle that something terrible hasn’t happened to her in all this time.”

“Well, if she’s this good at hiding from us, no doubt she’s good at hiding from anyone else in there.”

Lara frowned as she moved to stand behind her husband. “Shouldn’t you be worried about her? How can you just nonchalantly accept that she goes in there all alone? Are you not afraid for her well-being?”

He turned around to give her a gimlet stare. “I am worried about her! She is my daughter, my only child! Of course I’d worry. Just because I don’t get all emotional about it the way you women do, doesn’t mean I’m not feeling anything! You have no idea how much easier I breathe when she returns home from those escapades of hers. Every time she’s gone, my heart stops beating.”

His words put her in her place, making her acknowledge it with a nod as she sat back down in her chair.

Jeff sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. “I will have another talk with her. Maybe she’ll listen to me this time if she sees just how serious I am about it.”

“Of course,” cam Lara’s soft reply.

A knock sounded on the door. “Milord?”

“Yes, what is it Miles?” Jeffery asked as he waved his head servant in.

“Pardon me, but you have visitors who wish an audience with you.”

“Really? And who might these visitors be?”

“One of them has named himself Lord Satara of the House of Antar. He says he is here on personal business with you milord.”

Jeffery frowned as he looked at his wife. “Why does that name sound familiar to me?”

Lara shrugged. “I have no idea. I do not recognize it.”

Jeffery nodded, “Very well. See them to my office downstairs and make sure to offer them some refreshments. I will be down shortly.”

“Of course milord,” replied Miles as he bowed out of the room.

Jeffery held his hand out to his wife. “Come my dear. Let us go make ourselves presentable for our new guests.”

Elizabeth smiled as the pond came into view and she could see the animals surrounding it. There were some geese floating on the pond while a raccoon watched its two youngsters frolicking at the water’s edge. A doe and her fawn sat nearby, in the shade of a tree where two rabbits were scrounging around the roots of it.

Without having to reach out to the deer and rabbits, she was certain they were the same creatures she’d met before when she’d healed the fawn and male rabbit. It was the same for the stoat bathing on the other side of the pond and a few of the birds in the surrounding trees.

As she drew closer to the pond, several of the animals lifted their heads in her direction. However, none of them fled from her presence the way they once used to. Instead, as she made her way to her usual spot by the water’s edge, most of them either moved closer to her or sat nearby.

She knew she was surrounded by those who had become like friends to her over the last few months. Birds twittered in the branches above her head while the rabbits, two foxes and several other animals sat near her feet.

Elizabeth opened her mind the way Max had taught her in order to include them all in her conversation. She had learned the trick to be able to speak out loud, yet have all of the creatures understand her.

“Hello, everyone! It is such a gorgeous day, isn’t it?”

“Sure is,” replied the fawn in her head as it chased a butterfly nearby. “It’s so pretty that my mother even let me come to the pond today!”

Elizabeth smiled at the child-like exuberance she could feel coming from the fawn. “Well, I’m glad she let you. You do look like you’re enjoying it.”

“Oh I am!” came his happy answer.

The female rabbit chuckled in her head. “He’s been enjoying it since just after the sun started to rise!”

“Really?” she asked.

“Oh yes,” replied several of the birds. “He was so excited he even woke a few of us up!”

Elizabeth leaned back to gaze at the birds. “Well, that’s unfortunate for you, but I do wonder what has him so excited.”

She looked at the fawn for an answer, but before he could reply the female fox moved closer to Elizabeth and placed a paw on her knee.

“Look! It has completely healed already!”

Elizabeth inspected the paw in question. Sure enough, no scarring was visible and the fur had completely covered the area once more. She turned the paw over to inspect the pad and smiled with satisfaction. The paw, which had nearly be severed completely off, now looked as if nothing had ever happened to it.

“Why yes! It has! How wonderful!”

The fox removed her paw and rubbed her head against Elizabeth’s arm in thanks before she moved back to where she’d been sitting before. Elizabeth looked around the area with a frown, there was still no sign of the lion.

“I wonder where Max is today? He’s never this late.”

The fawn giggled in her head. “Oh don’t worry, he’s…”

“That’s enough out of you! Mind your manners when talking to her!” His mother chastised him as she shouldered him back towards the tree they had been sitting under.

“But mother!”

“No child! Now go sit down.” The doe turned and dipped her head at Elizabeth. “I apologize for his reckless behavior.”

“Oh don’t worry about it. I don’t mind him at all.”

Elizabeth watched as the doe got her child settled back beneath the tree before she turned her attention to the other animals who were eager to have a conversation with her. As time went by, she kept glancing around the area hoping to see the lion. It wasn’t that she didn’t enjoy the company of the animals, but Max had said he would meet her today.

She was beginning to get more worried as the sun reached its zenith in the sky. Once more she glanced worriedly at her surroundings hoping to see the lion.

“Is there something wrong?” asked the male badger.

She shook her head before looking at him. “No, no. It’s just that it’s been a few hours now and Max isn’t here yet.”

The female rabbit hopped closer to her. “Don’t worry, he’ll show eventually.”

Elizabeth nodded. “I’m sure he will.”

“Maybe he had something important to do,” interjected one of the male wolves.

“Maybe,” she answered before glancing at the wolves. The moment she did, she froze. Blinking her eyes for a moment, she stared at one of them. A smile slowly formed on her face as she recognized the golden eyes.

“Max? Is that you?”

The grey wolf’s tongue lolled out, making it look as if it were smiling at her. It rose to its feet and padded to her side. Nudging her on the shoulder with its head, she heard the familiar voice in her head.

“And I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to realize I’ve been here all along.”

She laughed as she wrapped her arms around the wolf’s neck. “I’m so used to seeing you as a lion, what did you expect?”

As she let him go, he sat back and looked at her. “But you can always recognize me by my eyes, that is the only thing we fae cannot change.”

She nodded. “Thanks for letting me know that.”

He chuckled in her head. “I think I’m going to have to teach you to be more aware of your surroundings though. There were plenty of other clues that almost gave me away.”

With that, he looked in the direction of the fawn. Following his line of sight, Elizabeth looked at the fawn too. At first she was a little puzzled as to what Max meant, until she remembered the conversation she’d had with the fawn.

Twice during that conversation he hadn’t been able to answer her because both times he’d gotten interrupted by the female fox or his mother. Now Elizabeth understood what was going on. The animals were all a part of the game with Max. But since the fawn was the equivalent age of a two year old child who just can’t keep secrets, he almost gave the game away.

She laughed out loud as she turned back to look at the wolf. “Now I understand what had him so excited. He couldn’t wait for me to discover you.”

The wolf shook its head. “No he couldn’t. I had to promise him a weeks worth of his favorite grass to get him to cooperate. His mother kept telling me she didn’t think even that was going to keep him from giving me away.”

“Well, it almost didn’t. But the others seemed to be ready for it.”

“Yes, but I am glad that you figured it out on your own, Elizabeth.”

She smiled as she heard the pride in his voice. “Thank you.”

As the other animals drifted off to do their own things, Elizabeth clapped her hands together. “So, what are we going to do today?”

Once more she heard Max’s chuckle in her head. “I am going to teach you to become one with your surroundings.”

Her eyes went wide. “You mean I can…”

“No, you won’t change your form. What I mean is that you will learn to communicate with everything around you. To be aware of every little sound, every whisper of wind. That way, no one will be able to sneak up on you the way I did today.”

She saw the twinkle in his eyes, letting her know that while he was serious about teaching her this, he still thought it funny that she hadn’t recognized him right away.

She rolled her eyes in mock annoyance. “You didn’t sneak up on me, but that’s okay. I can’t wait to learn how to be a part of my surroundings.”

“All right, then. Let’s get a little farther away from the pond. It will be better to teach you with less to distract us in the beginning.”

She nodded as she rose to her feet and followed the wolf into the woods.

Elizabeth dangled her feet in the pond as she watched the wolf emerge from where it had been cooling itself of in the water. It padded out to solid ground and shook itself. Droplets of water went flying, but Elizabeth was still far enough away that none of them hit her.

After a few moments, the wolf walked to a spot just beneath the rock she was sitting on and made itself comfortable. She watched as the wolf began to lick its paws clean. Smiling to herself, she was amazed that no matter what form Max took, he seemed to take on the mannerisms of that animal. Even though he had said it was just a guise and not a real animal, there were still times when she believed it was a real lion or wolf in front of her.

The wolf finished cleaning himself and folded its paws before lowing its head to rest there against the ground. Elizabeth’s thoughts turned to what Max had said about his eyes never changing. The only thing the fae could not disguise of their real form was their eyes and that made her wonder once more what Max’s real form looked like.

“Max?”

The wolf lifted its head to look up at her in question.

“Will I ever be able to see what you look like in your true form?”

The wolf’s ears twitched as if it were nervous. Looking away from her, it gazed at the water for a few moments. Elizabeth frowned as the seconds floated by in silence.

“It’s not time yet,” came the soft reply.

She blinked in confusion. “Not time?”

She saw the eyes quickly glance at her before it hastily looked away again. “I am not ready to show you just yet. We must wait until the time is right.”

“Is there something that you are waiting for?” she asked, still puzzled with his answers.

Again silence stretched between them before he finally answered her. “It’s nothing…there’s nothing…we must wait.”

With that the wolf rose to its feet and stretched a bit before it sauntered off to take a drink from the pond. As Elizabeth watched the wolf in the distance, she realized something. From his tone of voice and the way the wolf had been acting, she got the sense that Max was embarrassed about something.

Whatever it was that was bothering him, she decided it was best to just drop the subject. It didn’t matter to her what Max looked like really. She was just curious after all.

So for now, she would just be content to keep spending time in the woods among all of her new friends. But most of all, she liked learning new things from the one she had come to think of as her closest, dearest friend of all. The fae, Ma’kshEvanyelzan, whom she had secretly named Max….Evans.

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult)pt6(pg5)6/30

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

Part 7

Elizabeth laughed as she glanced up at the squirrel scurrying across the tree branch. “Really Max, you’re being too obvious.”

“Too obvious?” came the question in her head.

“Um hm. I don’t need to see your eyes to know that’s you up there running from branch to branch.”

His laughter rang in her head. “Good for you. You’ve gotten really good at being aware of your surroundings. So, which tree am I in?”

Elizabeth cocked her head to the side before walking to a tree. Standing directly beneath one of the branches, she looked up and extended her hand.

“You’re on the third branch up from where I am standing.”

She heard a squirrel chatter before it appeared on the branch near her hand. The squirrel looked down at her, giving her a good view of Max’s eyes.

“Guess I can’t hide from you anymore.”

Elizabeth laughed as she held her hands out to catch the squirrel as it jumped down. Bringing it in to cradle it close to her chest, she began walking once more as she stroked its head.

“Guess not,” she told it. “But I’m not worried. I’m sure you’ll come up with a new game for us to play.”

Max chuckled. “A game huh? You know if you keep up with that act of nonchalance I’ll just make you do things like swim the length of the pond ten times.”

She gave a mock gasp. “Max, you wouldn’t!”

Once more he laughed. “Okay, maybe not, but I’m warning you.”

She nodded in mock seriousness to his playful warning as she placed the squirrel on another branch nearby. When the squirrel began to move from branch to branch, Elizabeth continued her stroll beneath him. Today was just a normal day for them. A day in which they were taking a break from lessons just to enjoy each others company.

Over the past month, the two of them had become even closer than before. They had shared stories and laughs with each other as well as learning about each others worlds. Although they both knew it would be taboo for either one of them to visit each others worlds, it didn’t stop them from being curious about them.

Elizabeth had told Max more about life at the manor as well as the incident she’d witnessed as a child. That story had only reinforced Max’s view that humans were indeed not to be trusted. When she’d called him on that because he seemed to trust her, he told her she was an exception. After all, he didn’t really consider her to be a human that much.

When she’d asked him what he thought she was, he couldn’t come up with an explanation or even a name. So, they had both settled on saying she was just special. A special woman was the precise wording Max had used.

Elizabeth had told Max that she thought her mother had been special too. However, her mother had died when she was a baby so she couldn’t remember her at all. And when she tried to ask others who had known her, they had refused to say much about her.

Just like Elizabeth had once speculated, Max thought maybe her mother had been a special woman just like her daughter now was. But Elizabeth said she would never know if that was true since she had been unable to dig up any evidence of that. Since nothing could be done about that, they had moved on to other topics.

One of those topics had been about the world of the fae. Max had done his best to answer her questions without disobeying the laws of his kind. He’d even tried to explain what his world looked like, but knew it would be hard for Elizabeth to imagine it since she was not like him.

Still, she loved to hear the stories he told her. It was when he was telling her about his home that she could see how animated and alive he became. It was during those times that he seemed to stop being such a formal fae and started acting more human.

In fact, Elizabeth had noticed just how much more relaxed and at ease Max was now that he had been around her for a while. He had even learned how to tease her and tell jokes. She had come to enjoy the sound of his laughter even if it was in her head. And she could tell from the tone of his voice if he was teasing her or not.

Despite that, they both could tell when it was time to get serious or when they could relax and play around. They both enjoyed all of their time together whether it was serious or not.

And ever since the first time Max had appeared to her as something other than the lion, he’d varied his appearance every time after that. So every time she saw him, he was in a different animal form.

Not only was this to help her learn to be aware of her surroundings, but it helped her to learn more about different types of animals. Through Max, she was able to figure out different animal behaviors and physiology which helped her in dealing with them and healing them. Even though Max showed her different animal forms, she still hadn’t seen his true form.

Though they seemed like best friends now, Max still hadn’t decided that the time was right to show Elizabeth what he really looked like. For her part, she hadn’t asked him about it since that day over a month ago. She trusted him enough to know that he would show her when he was ready to.

The two of them spent the day chatting and exploring the woods until they decided to head over to the pond to relax for a while. Max still moved from branch to branch, only going to the ground when there wasn’t another tree nearby. They were almost to the pond when Max went absolutely still.

He had been listening to the woods for a moment before Elizabeth became aware that he’d stopped moving. When she turned to look up at him, he hurried towards her and looked down at her as he spoke in her mind.

“Elizabeth, there are hunters in the forest.”

She frowned. “Should we go do something?”

Just then she heard the sound of many horses and dogs barking. The squirrel scurried from one end of the branch to the other clearly agitated.

“They’re getting closer,” she whispered.

It nodded its head as it returned to her. “Yes and I think you should return home. I will keep an eye on them.”

“But…”

“Elizabeth, they may be looking for you.”

Without another word, she nodded and took off towards home. Max waited until he couldn’t see or hear her anymore before he went scurrying in the direction of the hunters.

Elizabeth knew to make her way as quickly and quietly as she could towards her home. Max had taught her how to do both without drawing any attention to herself. She was making good progress when suddenly an image popped into her head.

Coming to a standstill, she closed her eyes and reached out with her powers. It only took a few moments before she connected with a fox’s mind. He was caught in a trap and sending distress signals both verbally and mentally.

With a gasp, Elizabeth opened her eyes and looked back the way she had come. Max had told her to go home and let him deal with the hunters, but as the fox’s cries echoed in her mind, she knew she couldn’t ignore it. Reversing her direction, she began running towards the trapped fox.

She was nearly there when more cries reached her mind. Then she heard the sound of guns and dogs barking. Without a second thought, she ran towards the new sounds knowing the trapped family of foxes were in more danger than the lone fox in the trap.

She burst into a small clearing that was crowded with dogs and men on horseback. The four dogs were barking and digging at a mound of earth surrounded by some brush, trying to reach the fox family trapped inside the den.

There was another fox lying on its side near the entrance to the den. It was breathing heavily and bleeding from a gunshot wound in its hind leg. The three hunters sat on their horses with their guns aimed at the den, waiting for the dogs to flush out the remaining foxes.

Elizabeth could hear the cries of the young foxes inside the den. With a cry of horror, she ran towards the den and began forcing the dogs back with a branch she’d snapped off from a nearby brush.

“No! Stop this! What are you doing? Don’t you know there’s just cubs inside there? What’s the use of hunting the little ones?”

The three men looked at each other in shock, amazed that a maiden was alone in the woods. The first one to recover sneered at her.

“What does it matter if they’re cubs or not? Their fur is still good to make mitts or hats even.”

Elizabeth glared at the man as she continued to stand between the dogs and the den. She’d used a mental command to get the dogs to back off. However, her commands wouldn’t work on the men in front of her. No matter how much they acted like beasts.

“What! Don’t you know it’s wrong to hunt infant animals? The law says…”

“And just who is going to tell the infantry about us?” One of the men growled as he swung off of his horse. “You? A paltry maid?”

Elizabeth tilted her chin up in a haughty manner. “My father owns these lands! He’ll not allow this to happen!”

The hunter turned to look at the other two and began to laugh. “Hear that mates? She claims her pa owns the lands!”

As the three of them continued to laugh, Elizabeth sputtered in outrage. “How dare you…”

“No, how dare you try to trick us!” roared the hunter as he swung towards her.

Elizabeth’s eyes went wide as he advanced on her with a leering smile. “I’m thinking me mates an’ me are just gonna have to teach you a lesson!”

The other two men snickered at his words.

“What say you fellas? You two up for a little romp in the woods?”

“Yeah,” replied one of the men as they began to dismount their horses.

“Wouldn’t mind mounting that little filly,” added the other.

As they began to draw closer to her, Elizabeth backed up. “Please! My father will…”

“Stop lying girl!” snapped the lead hunter.

Elizabeth looked around for an escape, but she was surrounded by brush on the sides and the den behind her. She was about to plead with them again when she was grabbed by the front of her dress and yanked towards the men.

“No!” she screamed as more hands grabbed her dress intending to rip it off of her.

Suddenly a loud growl came from the brush to her right. All of them turned just in time to see a huge brown bear lumbering through the brush. It stood up on its hind legs and growled once more.

“Run Elizabeth!” came Max’s voice as the hunters scrambled for their guns.

One of them yelled commands at the dogs which suddenly obeyed him and ran barking at the bear. Elizabeth scrambled towards the injured female fox, hoping to take her somewhere safe so she could heal her. Once more the bear growled at the dogs that suddenly turned tail and ran away.

In the chaos that followed, one of the stampeding horses knocked Elizabeth down, making her stumble to avoid stepping on the injured fox. As she tried to right herself, she hit her head on the top of the den, knocking herself unconscious.

Max continued to use his powers to entice the dogs to run all the way back to their home while he used his bear form to frighten the hunters and horses. Luckily the horses didn’t need any mental prodding from him since they were naturally skittish creatures, which meant the hunters were having a time controlling them while trying to aim their weapons at the bear.

As Max advanced on the hunters a little more, he noticed something fluttering near the den. Turning his head, he saw a piece of cloth from Elizabeth’s dress caught in some brush, but it was the sight of her unconscious form that made him pause where he was. That was all the time the hunters needed.

Finally getting a firm hold on his gun, one of the hunters aimed at the bear and fired a shot. The bear appeared to rock back with the force of it before it turned its head to bellow at the hunter.

Pain shot through Max’s shoulder as the bullet lodged itself in his flesh. With a roar, he lumbered towards the hunters, intending to pay them back for that. With every move he made, he just grew angrier.

The hunters saw the pain crazed bear rumbling towards them and decided that they’d had enough. Without wasting anymore time, they scrambled after their horses trying to grab the reins and steady them. As soon as they were able to mount them, they set heels to flanks and rode out of there with the bear’s anguished roars on their heels.

Max continued to run after the sound of the retreating hooves until they began to fade away. Coming to a stop, he listened until he was certain the hunters and all of their animals were gone. Then he slowly turned around and ambled back to the den.

As he came into the clearing, he saw the male fox that he’d rescued from the trap hovering over its mate. As the bear made its way to the foxes, its form began to shimmer in and out. It was a clear sign to anyone who knew that the fae was seriously wounded.

Max sat down next to the female and ignored his pain in order to heal her wound. Within moments her wound was healed and her breathing had returned to normal. Max sent instructions to the male, telling him to help his mate into the den to look after their young for the time being. However, as soon as they were able to, they would have to look for a new den since the hunters now knew where this one was.

Leaving the foxes to their business, the bear began to rise to go to Elizabeth. But the wound was taking too much of his strength from him. Even the powers he’d used to heal the fox and to hold the bear form was sapping his strength. Suddenly, the bear shimmered away to be replaced by the form of a fae.

The figure stumbled once more and went down to the ground where it stayed a few moments to catch its breath and regain some strength. Lifting its head, it glanced at the still prone Elizabeth, grateful that she was still unconscious. As long as she remained that way, it didn’t have to try to hide its true form.

When it could stand once more, it walked to where she lay and lowered itself down to her. Lifting her into its arms it stood once more and began a slow walk towards the pond that was their meeting place. With each step it took, the wound leaked more blood and sapped the strength from the fae.

By the time he’d reached the pond, his strength was all but gone. Trembling with the will to keep conscious, the fae gently lowered Elizabeth to the ground. Summoning its powers with the last of its strength, it created a soft bed of grass to lay her upon before checking her for any serious damage.

As soon as it was certain she was all right, it collapsed next to her. Too weak to hold on, it closed its eyes and let the darkness pull him in.

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult)pt7(pg6)7/12

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

Part 8

Elizabeth slowly came awake to the feel of soft fur against her cheek. Opening her eyes, she could see the golden fur of what she knew had to be a lion. Lifting her head, her thoughts were confirmed as her eyes met with Max’s golden ones.

“Hello Elizabeth,” came Max’s voice.

She smiled as she sat up and stretched. “Hi Max. Was I asleep long?”

“For a few hours. It is now close to sundown.”

Elizabeth’s eyes widened, “Oh no! I should…” She stopped as she saw the wound on his shoulder. “Max! You’re hurt!”

“It is nothing. I will heal it in a moment.”

Elizabeth shook her head, knowing he didn’t have the strength or he would have already done so. Leaning towards him, she held out her hands.

“Elizabeth, I can…”

“No Max, I’m not injured. I can do this.”

Max didn’t argue as she placed her hands on either side of the wound and began to concentrate. Within moments she had healed his wound and sat back with a satisfied smile.

“There you go. Feeling better?” she asked.

The lion rose to its feet and walked around for a bit, stretching and testing its shoulder. Padding back to Elizabeth, it gave the impression of nodding its head as she heard Max’s voice once more.

“It’s great. Thank you Elizabeth.”

Giving him a proud grin, she looked around the area. Before looking back at him. “How did you get me back to the pond? I mean, you were that bear that fought the hunters right?”

“Yes I was. And you know I have ways with my powers.”

“True, but obviously you were injured! And I know you must have struggled somewhat.”

The lion shrugged. “It wasn’t that hard.”

Elizabeth simply gazed at the lion. Somehow she knew he wasn’t really telling the truth, but she decided to let it go. “Thank you Max. For protecting me and then bringing me here to watch over me.”

The lion nodded, but narrowed it eyes a little. “I know I had told you to hurry home when the hunters first arrived.”

Elizabeth looked sheepish. “You did and I was on my way, but then I heard the distressed cries of the foxes! I couldn’t just ignore them! Oh!” she gasped. “We have to go…”

“It’s all right. I took care of them before I brought you here.”

“You did?” At the lion’s nod she added, “So, what happened after I was knocked out?”

“Before I tell you that, how exactly were you knocked unconscious to begin with?”

“Oh, I was trying to get the vixen out of harm’s way but I stumbled and hit my head on the top of the den’s entrance.”

“That’s it?”

She nodded. “Yes, that’s it. I swear, Max.” She’d added the last bit when he didn’t look convinced.

Finally Max seemed to believe her and told her what had happened. How he’d gotten the men to leave and then had taken care of the fox family before warning them to move as soon as they all were able to. A precaution just in case the hunters came back.

“We can go check on them if you would like,” said Max. “But after that, you should be getting home. It is almost night fall and…”

“And I’m probably already in enough trouble for being out here in the first place,” she finished. “Okay, let’s go see them.”

Elizabeth walked by the lion’s side, her hand in his mane, as they made their way back to the fox family’s den. As they approached the clearing in front of the den, Elizabeth saw that the pups were out with their mother. However, as soon as they were aware of her, they scrambled back into the den until only the vixen was left.

The vixen knew the lion and Elizabeth for what they were, so she wasn’t afraid of them like her children were. As she approached the two of them and bowed her head, her pups peeked out from the sides of the den’s opening.

Elizabeth chuckled at their innocent antics while Max made it possible for them to communicate with the vixen.

“Greetings, mi’kine. My mate and I are grateful for your help earlier this morning.”

“You are welcome, vixen. Where is you mate now?” asked Max.

“He is off preparing a new den for us while I keep watch over our little ones. He found a place not too long ago and thinks he may have it ready before the sun sets tomorrow.”

“Well that is good news,” said Elizabeth. “But I hope he is not overworking himself. His wounds from the trap must have been great.”

“Oh they were serious, but not life threatening. Still, he is only making sure no one moves into our new den until he is able to make it completely ready for us. Tomorrow he will spend the day digging it, as will I, in turns.”

“I see, well that should work well for the two of you then. How are you feeling by the way?” asked Elizabeth.

The vixen trotted to and fro as she answered. “Just fine, see? I have done nothing but rest and watch over the little ones today. Only going out to catch us some food. Luckily I was able to find us enough that will last through dinner also.”

“You are lucky indeed and I am glad you and your family is okay.”

The vixen’s tail shook slightly to acknowledge her relief that everyone was okay. “As are we of you, milady. We are glad that the hit to your head was not serious.”

Elizabeth smiled as she and Max bade the vixen and her family good-bye before they returned to the pond. Once there, the lion tilted its head to the side.

“Will you be all right going back to your home this eve?” Max asked.

Elizabeth nodded. “I’ll be fine. Thank you again, for what you did Max.”

“It was nothing and I am sure you would have done the same for me.”

“Exactly,” she beamed, right before she leaned down and wrapped her arms around the lion’s mane. She hugged him for a few moments before letting go and lightly stepped away from him.

When she reached the end of the clearing, she turned to wave to him. “Bye Max! Hopefully I’ll see you soon!”

The lion simply stood there watching as she turned and left the clearing, but then Elizabeth was used to the silent ways of Ma’kshEvanyelzan.

Max was still standing there long after Elizabeth had left. His reaction to the hug was one of shock and amazement. And if he’d dug deep enough, he would have realized that he had actually enjoyed the hug.

As his sense returned to him, he used his powers to will himself to his home. Then the moment he appeared inside his home, the lion began to shift form into a fae as he walked towards his bedroom.

Inside, he lay on his back and stared up at the ceiling, which was nothing more than the base and roots of an enormous tree. His thoughts instantly turned to Elizabeth and the incidents of the day. He puzzled over the things he’d felt during each incident and began to realize that maybe her human side was beginning to rub off on him.

He knew that when their day had started that he’d felt content and had enjoyed the little bit of fun they’d shared with each other. Then the hunters had come and his first instinct had been to get her to safety. It had felt as if he’d suddenly adopted the lion’s sense of protecting its pride.

When he’d thought she’d left, he had felt a great weight lifting from his chest not knowing that it was relief that she was safe. But that weight had returned the moment he realized she was with the hunters. It had turned into a viselike grip when she was suddenly being threatened by the men.

Fear had seized him and he’d done the first thing that had come to mind. Shifting into a huge bear because it was the only thing he thought was most likely to scare off both men and dogs, he’d moved through the brush and began trying to protect Elizabeth.

He had gotten hurt in the process, but his first concern was getting her to safety. He could deal with the pain of his wound, but it was the pain inside his chest that had nearly been unbearable. He’d been unable to breathe and it had affected every molecule of his being.

He’d been glad that the hunters had finally left so that he was able to concentrate on her. With his chest tightening every step of the way, he’d finally made it to the pond where he’d confirmed that she would be okay before he’d let his wound and fatigue catch up with him.

Concern and worry for her had been the only things keeping him upright, but once he knew she was fine he had collapsed in exhaustion. Max simply convinced himself that he was responsible for all things within his woods. He didn’t recognize the signs for what they really were.

There was no one there to tell him why he’d been happy at the beginning of the day, relieved when he thought she was safe, and fearful when she’d been in danger. He thought she was simply rubbing off on him, but that wasn’t the whole truth.

What he didn’t realize was that the fae were capable of feeling emotions just as humans were. However, centuries of survival and adaptations had made the fae less inclined to be in touch with emotions like the humans were. While one species had embraced emotions, the other had begun to shun them.

Soon they had found a way to lock the emotions away so well that future generations were literally born without them. By the time Max had been born, emotions were a distant memory to the elders who remained. Not even his parents were aware of emotions or the fact that they were buried deep within each individual fae.

None of them knew that the emotions simply lay there, silently waiting for something or someone to come and unleash them again. None of them knew just how close to the surface those emotions really were.

If they had, maybe Max would have recognized the signs easily instead of convincing himself that he was just influenced by Elizabeth’s ways. Little did he know just how he felt while he was currently envisioning her in one of the flowing, pale gowns that the females of his race wore. Not only that, but the image of her in the gown, running through a field of wildflowers and laughing as her long, silky hair flowed loosely around her brought a tender smile to his face.

A smile that to an observer, seemed full of longing and another emotion that was supposed to be alien to his race even back when they still had their emotions.

Elizabeth crept up the stairs as quietly as ever, stopping at the apex to peer around the corner. She’d managed to make it to the floor of her rooms so far without running into anyone. All she hoped was that she could get to her room so that she could bathe and change out of the dirty, torn dress she wore.

She almost breathed a sigh of relief until she opened the doors to her rooms and spotted her stepmother sitting on the end of the chaise. Lara wore a frown on her face as she rose to her feet.

“Do you have any idea what time it is Elizabeth? How dare you…” she paused as she took in Elizabeth’s ripped dress and dirt-smeared skin.

Her eyes widened. “Oh my lord, what happened to you?”

As Lara approached her with a worried look now in her eyes, Elizabeth tried to wave it off. “Oh it is nothing. I just went looking for berries.”

“Looking for berries!” Lara repeated in a surprised voice. “Where? In a hole in the ground?”

Elizabeth sighed as Lara began to flutter agitatedly around her. “If you must know, the berries were on the side of a cliff, so I climbed…”

“You what!” screeched Lara. “You climbed the side of a cliff! Are you out of your mind, child?”

“It wasn’t hard to do!”

“Yes but you have ruined your appearance! Oh look at you with twigs in your hair and dirt on your skin! Let me see if you’ve ruined your hands!”

As Lara reached for Elizabeth’s hands, she snatched them away while resisting the urge to roll her eyes. “They’re fine, mother!”

“I doubt that! Just look at you! And you were gone so long! You’re lucky your father is away on business or he would be the one worried to death over you!”

Elizabeth didn’t have the chance to interrupt as Lara went on. “This disappearing act has got to stop! How are you ever going to learn how to be a proper lady if you are never here to learn? And what if we’d had guests! What kind of impression do you think that would have given them?”

“Mother! Calm down, there’s…”

“Don’t you dare raise your voice to me young lady! And don’t you tell me to calm down! Now I want you to bathe and sleep and first thing in the morning you will attend lessons all day!”

Elizabeth frowned as her stepmother whirled around and headed to one of the armoires in the room. It was the hint of tears she’d seen in Lara’s eyes that made her frown. She stood there watching her stepmother for a few moments before walking closer to her.

In a quiet voice, Elizabeth asked her. “Is something wrong, mother?”

Lara shook her head without turning around. She kept herself busy looking for something for Elizabeth to change into. “Do as I say, child. Go take a bath.”

Elizabeth reached out to touch her stepmother’s arm. “Please, tell me what’s wrong.”

Lara spun around and gathered Elizabeth into her arms, not wanting to tell her the truth. Instead, she hugged Elizabeth tightly and fought back the tears that threatened to spill.

Through the lump in her throat she replied. “I was just worried. That is all. When you were gone for so long I started to panic. But you’re here now and everything’s okay.”

Pulling away, she laid a gentle hand on Elizabeth’s cheek. “I’m just glad you’re okay. I just didn’t want to have to tell your father the news if anything had truly happened to you.”

Elizabeth didn’t respond as she began to feel guilty for making her stepmother worry so much.

Lara sighed and patted Elizabeth’s cheek. “Promise me you won’t do this again, child? Promise you will not return so late like this unless you have warned us? Otherwise we will think something dreadful has happened to you.”

Elizabeth nodded as she gave her stepmother a smile that said how sorry she was. “Yes mother, I do. I’m sorry for making you worry so much. Honestly, I didn’t pay attention to the time, it was my fault. But tomorrow, I will do everything I can to learn my lessons.”

Lara returned her smile. “That’s all I ask dear.”

She gave her stepdaughter another hug before sending her off to bathe. Luckily for her, Elizabeth had believed her.

Although part of her worry was over Elizabeth’s long absence, the other part wasn’t. The other part of her worried over whether or not Jeffery had found a way out of the mess he was in. She knew if he couldn’t then things were going to get harder. While it would be hardest for Elizabeth, it would still cause her father great pain. And Lara sincerely hoped it wouldn’t come to that.

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult)AN(pg8)9/28

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

Part 9

Max stopped running along the edge of the pond and looked back at Elizabeth who was sitting beneath her favorite tree. He noticed that she seemed a bit distracted, so he paced back to her side and nudged her arm with his head. When she looked at him, he spoke to her.

“Where were you right now?”

Elizabeth slid her hand into the wolf’s pelt as she answered. “Sorry I was thinking about something, but I’ll stop.”

She shook her head as if trying to clear it.

The wolf tilted its head slightly but didn’t say anything for a few moments. Then it resumed its jaunt along the edge of the pond.

As Elizabeth joined the wolf in a clearing, Max began to tell her what they were going to practice for the day. She made herself comfortable on the grass and did her best to concentrate on what Max was telling her.

However, a few moments later her mind began to wander again. It wasn’t that Max was boring, it was just that she couldn’t stop thinking of the conversation she’d had with her mother the night before.

She knew Lara had told her that she had simply been worried about her being gone for so long, but that wasn’t the real truth. Elizabeth was certain Lara had used that excuse to cover up what was really bothering her. Still, Elizabeth had known no amount of badgering was going to make Lara come out with the truth, so she’d let it go and pretended to accept Lara’s answer.

Despite that, she was still puzzled over Lara’s weird behavior.

“Elizabeth?” came Max’s rather insistent voice in her head accompanied by a wolf’s paw on the hand she had resting on her knee.

She jerked her head up and gave him a sheepish look. “Sorry. I know I said…”

“That does not matter for the moment. Come, Elizabeth tell me what is wrong.”

She sighed as she picked imaginary lint from her dress.

“Didn’t you once tell me sometimes it makes one feel better when they talk about it?” he prompted.

Looking back at the wolf, she saw how he was sitting in a relaxed pose with his front paws stretched before him and his hind legs tucked beneath his body. His head was tilted slightly to the side and his ears were facing towards her. All signs indicated he was listening intently while appearing extremely relaxed. He looked as if he had all day to patiently wait for her to talk to him. His kindness reached out to her so that she finally told him what was bothering her.

“Last night when I got home, my stepmother was waiting for me in my bed chambers. She seemed upset about something and when I asked, she told me she had just been very worried about me.”

There was a silent pause before Max spoke up. “But you don’t believe her?”

Elizabeth sighed as she shifted her position. “She seemed too nervous and talkative for it to be that. Usually when she’s upset with me, she just corrects me and then goes her way after I’ve said I’m sorry.”

“Maybe she was just tired of hearing you say that when she knows you’ll just do it again.”

Elizabeth shook her head. “No Max, she was answering me too quickly. Something is going on and I don’t know what it is. But I think it involves my father too.”

“What makes you say that?” asked Max.

“When she mentioned that I was lucky he was away on business or he’d be worried too. It was the way she said it. As if the business he was on wasn’t good.”

Max sighed. “I’m sorry Elizabeth. I wish there was something I could do to make things right.”

She looked at him with a grateful smile. “Thanks, Max. I’m sorry I’m so distracted today. I’ll do better this time.”

Max rose to his feet and shook himself before sauntering over to her side. He nudged her cheek with his nose as if trying to cheer her up. Elizabeth laughed and ran a hand through his fur.

“Tell you what. Why don’t we just have some fun today? You’ve been learning very well up to now. I think you deserve a break.”

She looked at Max with wide eyes. “Are you sure?”

The wolf nodded. “I’m sure. Besides, I think you need to do something that won’t tax your mind so much. It seems not only I’ve been pushing you, but so has everyone else.”

She wrapped her arms around the wolf’s neck in a hug. “Oh Max, you’re such a great friend!”

She heard a nervous chuckle sound in her head before the wolf casually slipped out of her hold. He sauntered off a ways before turning back to look at her.

“Come on, why don’t you go sit beneath your favorite tree again. I want to show you something I think you’ll like.”

Elizabeth nodded as she got to her feet and brushed off her dress. She walked over to the tree and made herself comfortable beneath it as Max walked to the edge of the pond. Once it seemed that she was seated and watching him, he turned to dip his nose into the water.

Elizabeth watched as the water began to slowly ripple until a small lump seemed to rise upwards. Her eyes widened as the lump began to take the shape of a tiny being with iridescent wings.

It hovered just above the water’s surface for a few moments as more lumps rose and formed similar shaped beings. Once there was a few of them, they began to flutter towards her.

The closer they got the more she could make out the details of them. They appeared to be made completely out of the water they’d come from. She could almost see the pond and the wolf right through their liquid bodies. Still their tiny wings fluttered as fast as a hummingbirds would and she swore she saw them sparkle with water droplets.

Despite the fact that they all came from the water and had wings, each one of them was different from the others. Some appeared to have long hair and others short hair that sometimes stood straight up.

While their bodies couldn’t really be seen because of the light that shone from them, Elizabeth thought she could tell that some had feminine figures and others masculine ones. It was in the shape of their shoulders, waists, and limbs.

The fluttered around her for a few moments, brushing against her cheeks and hair. She laughed as she felt their soft touches tickling her skin and was amazed that no wetness was left behind. Their touches weren’t cold or wet like she’d expected. Instead it felt like soft feathers moving over her skin.

Then they moved away from her and seemed to begin a little dance in the space in front of her. As they twirled and leaped in the air, some of them began to cup their hands in front of their faces.

Elizabeth gasped in awe as bubbles formed in their tiny hands when they blew on them. Then when the bubble seemed large enough to them, they released it and let it float in the air around Elizabeth.

Once more she was laughing with glee as the bubbles and water beings floated and danced all around her. Every one of them sparkled with light and iridescent colors like a rainbow with every movement they made. Even the bubbles seemed to be mirroring what the tiny beings were doing.

Elizabeth reached out to touch a bubble and gasped as she realized it was thicker than she knew bubbles to be. It didn’t burst when she touched it, but it did stick to her fingers. Wobbling there for a few moments before it seemingly detached itself and floated away.

As she watched it leave, one of the tiny beings fluttered close to her fingers. Elizabeth held her palm up flat and smiled as the little figure landed lightly on her hand. It felt lighter than a feather even though she watched as it danced in her hand.

The tiny wings had slowed down in their fluttering so that she could see what looked like crystal patterns in the wing. Her eyes widened in awe as she took in the details she could now see.

The water being had the shape of a woman with an hour glass figure. It didn’t appear that she wore any clothes but there was nothing really that needed covering. The light still shone from inside the little being which seemed to give the impression of hiding any parts of her that shouldn’t be seen.

As the being looked up at Elizabeth, she could see almond shaped eyes that appeared darker in the centers as if that was where the irises would be. She smiled when it appeared that the being tilted her head and blinked curiously at her.

She heard what sounded like tinkling laughter before the being tossed a long mane of hair and took flight again. As the tiny being hovered above her hand, the others closed in and formed a tiny circle in the air.

Elizabeth watched as they danced in the circle while the bubbles floated all around them. Then, one by one the tiny beings left the circle to flutter around her head before returning to the pond.

As the last one returned to the pond, the bubbles followed behind. Then slowly every bubble and being sank into the waters until there was nothing left.

The wolf lifted its nose from the pond and walked over to Elizabeth who was still staring at the pond. She put her hand against her chest and sighed.

“They’re beautiful Max!”

He chuckled. “Water nymphs. They’ve been wanting to come see you, but I told them to wait until I thought it was time.”

She nodded as she turned to look into the wolf’s eyes. “Thank you Max.”

The wolf nodded its head with a twinkle in its eye. “You’re welcome, but wait. There’s more.”

Elizabeth stared at him with wide eyes. “More?”

Elizabeth made her way through the back pathways of her father’s manor with a smile on her face. She had spent a fun, relaxing day with Max and was now on her way back home. Max had managed to make her laugh and forget her worries for a while as he used his powers to perform tricks for her as well as showing her other creatures of the woods.

He’d introduced her to blue skinned pixies with huge ears and marble shaped eyes. Then there were the gnomes that resembled tiny little old men with the grumpy attitude to match. She’d also seen wood fairies that appeared as leaves twisting in the wind before taking shapes similar to the water nymphs only their appearance was green and brown like the woods around them.

Each creature Max had introduced to her had performed for her in their own way. The gnomes would pop in and out of the ground making her guess where they’d appear next. The pixies did leaps and acrobatic stunts, even creating little pyramids on the ground. The wood fairies performed intricate dances in the air amid falling leaves and swaying branches.

And Max himself created things out of the fog he liked to control. Forming the fog into shapes so that she saw rabbits leaping across meadows and birds flying through trees. He also recreated a fast moving day so that she saw the sun rise and set within a few moments.

And before she left, the wood fairies had created a garland of leaves and berries which they’d placed on her head like a crown. She’d thanked them all for a wonderful day and Max had walked her part of the way before they’d said their goodbyes.

She’d left him with a hug and a smile which she still wore as she made her way into the manor house. The smile remained on her face until she’d reached the floor near her parents’ rooms.

As she neared the rooms, she could hear their raised voices which got clearer the closer she moved to the doors. Frowning, Elizabeth stopped just outside the doors and listened in to their conversation despite knowing it was the wrong thing for a young lady like her to do. She didn’t care if she got caught eavesdropping because she was certain this had something to do with why her stepmother had been upset the night before.

“Forget it Lara!” came her father’s stern voice.

“Jeffery, I don’t want to do this any more than you do but…”

“But nothing! I can’t do this to her!”

“I realize she is your only daughter and I know how much she means to you. You know she means the world to me too Jeffery!”

“Then you know we can’t make her do this!”

There was a moment of silence in which Elizabeth was certain she’d heard Lara sigh. “I don’t want to lose her anymore than you do,” came Lara’s softer voice, “but you and I both know we have reached our limit. If you don’t allow Elizabeth to marry the man, then all of us will be living on the streets. Is that what you want? At least this way, we will know Elizabeth will be well taken care of.”

Elizabeth closed her eyes at that revelation. So that was it then. Her father had fallen on hard times and the only way to keep his home was to marry her off. Now she understood why it had been so imperative that she be taught the ways of a lady.

They had thought to marry her off to someone of money so that they could keep their home. With a sigh of resignation, she knocked on the door before opening it and stepping inside.

Both of her parents turned to look at her, trying to hide the guilty looks on their faces. She knew neither one of them wanted to do it, but it had to be done. She loved her family too much to see them dishonored. For them, she would gladly sacrifice her freedom.

Looking them both in the eyes, she lifted her chin with pride. “Forgive me for my trespassing, but I heard what you were talking about.”

They glanced at each other before Jeffery took a step towards her. “Elizabeth…”

She gave him a heartfelt smile. “It’s all right father. I don’t mind at all. I will marry this man you have chosen for me.”

Lara’s eyes went wide as she gasped in shock.

Elizabeth turned to face her. “It is the least I can do after everything I have put you both through. I know you love me. And it is because I love you both that I will do this.”

Tears sprang to Lara’s eyes as Jeffery took his daughter in his arms. “I’m so sorry Elizabeth. Oh my darling daughter, I wish there was another way.”

She hugged him back. “It’s okay father. I always knew someday I might have to do this. I’ll do it for you.”

They stood there hugging each other tightly as Lara joined in on the family togetherness. Jeffery was amazed and proud of his daughter, never guessing she’d step forward to do this without a fight. Even Lara was shocked that the girl who had balked at lessons seemed to accept her future without so much as a bat of an eyelash.

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics
Shadowlynxbehr
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Of Secrets, Healers, & Fae (M/L, Adult)Pt9(pg8)11/2

Post by Shadowlynxbehr »

Part 10

Nearly a week later found Elizabeth slowly rousing from her slumber. With a sigh, she sat up and yawned while stretching her arms above her head. She knew she had a few moments to herself before she had to get up and get ready for her daily lessons.

After having the talk with her parents, she had thrown herself into her lessons, determined to prove that she could help them out. Her days had become filled with learning how to walk properly, talk properly and even to eat properly. She was fitted with two new dresses since that was all they could afford so that when her suitor came to call, she would have something to wear.

As the days went on, Elizabeth and her parents all hoped that she would be able to impress her suitor enough to help them out. And since she was so busy with her lessons and helping her parents out, there was no time for her to go out to the woods again. She had replaced her magical healing lessons with the practical lessons of becoming a proper lady.

Just as she was about to recline against the headboard for a few moments, there came a faint tapping at her window. Turning her head, she was surprised to see a small blue bird hopping on the sill beyond the glass. It appeared to have a piece of bark in its beak which it tapped against the glass once more.

Curious to know what the bird was doing, she slid out of her bed and slowly made her way to the window. Reaching up to open the two halves of the window, she was careful not to make any quick movements so as to startle the bird.

Amazingly the bird remained on the sill, hopping from time to time and flapping its wings as if trying to keep its balance with the bark in its mouth. Once she had the window open, she reached out slowly to touch the bird and smiled when it hopped towards her hand without hesitation.

However, as soon as her hand was close enough the bird bent down and placed the bark in her palm before twittering at her. It was almost as if it were trying to tell her something.

Just as she was about to try merging her mind with the bird’s, she noticed some writing on the side of the bark. Lifting it up to examine it closer, she could make out the words etched into it.

“Where are you? - M.”

Her eyes went wide as she realized that Max had sent her a note since she hadn’t been to the woods in a while. Looking around the room, she spied a brooch which she went to use as a way to write a reply.

The bird remained in the window twittering and hopping as Elizabeth etched her reply on the other side of the piece of bark. “Sundown at pond.”

She knew Max would understand that she would meet him then. She didn’t want to go any earlier because she didn’t want to miss her lessons if she could help it.

Walking back to the bird, she slowly held out the piece of bark to it and was relieved to see it clamp it in its beak. It took two hops, tilted its head at her then turned and launched itself into the sky.

Elizabeth watched it fly towards the woods for a few moments before she closed the window. Just as she put the latch back, there was a knock at the door. Turning, she saw Lara and two maids enter the room. One of the maids was carrying one of the dresses that had recently been made while the other one carried the accessories to go with the dress.

Lara made her way to Elizabeth’s side with a hesitant smile. “Good morning, child. Your morning lessons have been cancelled for the time being.”

“Oh? Why ever for?”

“We will be having an early lunch with your suitor. He has finally come to call on you.”

Elizabeth’s eyes went wide. “Really?”

Lara nodded as she ran a hand through her stepdaughter’s hair. “Today will be your chance to put what you’ve learned to good use. And if he likes what he sees, then all our prayers will be answered.”

Elizabeth nodded in understanding. Today she had to prove to her suitor that she was a proper young lady. One who was good enough to marry. If she impressed him enough he would be willing to marry her and thus solve her family’s problems.

As she went off to bathe and prepare to present herself, she silently prayed she would pull it off without a hitch.

Elizabeth stood nervously at the mirror as the maids made certain every hair and accessory was in place. There wasn’t a wrinkle anywhere on her new dress as she stood straight and tall in her new heels.

Outwardly, she looked radiant in the bright yellow chiffon dress. Inwardly, she was extremely nervous, yet determined to pull it off. Her family’s future hinged on the way she presented herself to the man waiting downstairs to meet her.

The door to her rooms opened and Lara walked in, wearing a formal, yet demure dress herself. Her hair was arranged in a tight bun at the back of her head with a small veil draped over the top of her head. Her manner of dress indicated that she was an elder lady who was off the market.

Elizabeth knew Lara had dressed that way because that was the way things were when one attended formalities with those of the courts. And it didn’t take much for Elizabeth to know that the man she was meeting must be of some importance if Lara was going all out for their lunch.

Lara beamed as she took in Elizabeth’s appearance. “Oh child! You look wonderful! He is sure to notice you as soon as you step into the room.”

Elizabeth gave her stepmother a grateful smile as she turned to face her.

Lara walked up to her and held out her hand. “Come my dear, your meeting and meal awaits.”

Elizabeth took Lara’s hand and allowed her to lead her out of the rooms towards the stairs. They walked down the stairs and made their way towards the formal dining rooms. As they neared the closed doors, Lara turned to give her an encouraging smile.

“You ready child?”

She took a deep breath, held it for a moment, then let it out. Bracing herself and mentally convincing herself that she could do it, she ignored the butterflies in her stomach and nodded her assent to Lara.

Lara nodded to the servant who stood just outside the doors. The servant opened the doors and stepped inside to make the announcement.

“My lords, may I present the Lady Elizabeth.”

Lara gave her stepdaughter’s hand a squeeze of encouragement before letting it go and waiting for her to move into the room alone. Without hesitation, Elizabeth picked up her skirts and walked into the room with her head held high.

Her father and her suitor stood near the windows where they had been having a conversation. However, when she’d been announced they had both turned to see her walking in. Jeffery smiled at her as he made his way to her side and offered her his arm.

Elizabeth placed her gloved hand in the crook of his arm as their guest made his way towards them. When he stood in front of her, Jeffery made the introductions.

“Lord Kivar, may I present my daughter, Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth let go of her father’s arm and went into a curtsy as Kivar bowed to her. When she straightened up, he took her hand in his and brought it to his lips. Right before he kissed the back of her gloved hand, he spoke.

“It is a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance my dear. Your father has spoken of you often.”

Elizabeth looked up into his dark blue eyes and smiled. “Is that so? Well I hope I can live up to his description of me then.”

Kivar returned her smile as he gave a nod towards her father. “Oh I do believe he hasn’t done you much justice. You are much more becoming in person that how he described you.”

Jeffery chuckled. “I suppose my description was more fit for that of a proud father than that of gentleman.”

Kivar shrugged. “Nevertheless, it was enough to get my interest piqued and now I am glad that I listened. It was enough for me to make the decision to come meet the young lady.”

Elizabeth gave him another smile as she lowered her head. “I thank you for that my lord.”

As she finished talking, Lara had made her way to Jeffery’s side. He offered her his other arm before indicating the table.

“Come Lord Kivar, let us continue this conversation over a meal shall we?”

Kivar nodded as he held his arm out to Elizabeth. “Allow me to escort you to your seat, Lady Elizabeth.”

“Thank you my lord,” she replied as she slipped her hand into his arm.

Kivar led her to the seat her father had indicated before seating himself in the empty chair next to hers. Once everyone was seated, the servants began serving the meal as Jeffery continued the conversation he’d been having with Kivar before the women had arrived.

As the two men continued to converse about business, it gave Elizabeth time to concentrate on eating her meal like a proper young lady. She knew that even though he wasn’t looking at her directly, he was still aware of what she was doing. She knew that no matter what, she had to keep her manners at the best they could be.

Even so, she managed to glance at him from time to time to see just who she might end up married to for the rest of her life. From what she could see, he seemed younger than she’d imagined. She had thought he would have been closer to her father’s age, but seemed to be in his late twenties if she had to guess.

He also didn’t look like he belonged in formal court either. His looks seemed more rugged, as if he was used to hard work. Granted, he wore his hair long as was the fashion of the day. It was also tied in a queue at the near the nape of his neck.

Still he had an aristocratic nose to go along with the dark blue eyes and dark blond hair. It was the only feature Elizabeth thought would always give away his formal upbringing no matter where he was or what he wore. Overall, she thought he wasn’t that bad looking even though she didn’t think he was typically her type.

Eventually the men stopped talking of business as the servants cleared the main course for dessert. Elizabeth had noticed that her parents had gone all out for the luncheon. It was a full five course meal which she’d never really had in all her life. She was used to the informal two course meals her family normally had.

Kivar turned his attention towards her as the servants set the desserts in front of them. “Your father tells me you are fond of the outdoors, Lady Elizabeth.”

She gave him a polite smile as she responded. “Yes I am, my lord. There is something to be said for the beauty of nature.”

Kivar nodded. “I happen to agree with you there. There is nothing I like more than being outdoors, especially when I can also work out there.”

“So your work often takes you outside then?”

He chuckled. “Well, maybe not as often as I’d like, but yes it does.”

“I see. What do you do when you get to work outside, my lord?”

“Mostly I work with the livestock I raise which I eventually sell to the highest bidder. My family’s company has always been known as one of the best to go to when in need of good wool or horses built for their stamina.”

She smiled at that. “Oh, you breed horses then.”

He grinned. “Yes I do. Your father also mentioned your love of them. Perhaps you may be able to accompany me when I go work with them.”

She bowed her head in gratitude. “I would like that my lord.”

“Then I shall endeavor to make that possible,” he replied.

“Thank you, my lord. Of course, I’d also be interested in watching you work with the sheep too and the rest of the livestock if I may be allowed to.”

“It may be possible for you to come along for the sheep too. However, those are the only livestock my family works with. The rest of our business deals with importing and exporting goods such as spices and silks.”

“Oh my, then your family is indeed rather busy!”

He chuckled at that. “Yes we are, but we are rather proud of it. It has been a very good couple of decades if I say so myself.”

“Indeed it has, my lord, indeed it has,” answered Jeffery Parker as he raised his wine glass. “Here’s to several more good decades.”

Everyone else raised a glass with a “here, here” in agreement.

Elizabeth was finishing her lessons for the evening with Lara when Jeffery entered the room with a smile on his face. They both rose to their feet and waited expectantly as he made his way towards them. The moment he reached his daughter and swung her around as if she were the little girl he used to play with like that, they knew she had won Kivar over.

Jeffery set her down with a laugh. “You did it Elizabeth! You really did it!”

Her eyes went round in amazement. “I did? Really?”

Jeffery nodded. “Yes. He was extremely pleased with what he saw in you, my child. He said he was most impressed with the way you seemed interested in what he had to say. He was also impressed with the way you managed to follow along with his conversation. He said you were very knowledgeable for a young lady these days.”

Elizabeth couldn’t help but beam with pride that Kivar had been impressed with her knowledge. Maybe being with him wouldn’t be so bad after all. After having lunch with him and talking to him in the hallway for a little longer before he’d gone to her father’s office, she began to get the impression that he wasn’t one of those men who expected their woman to simply sit by their side in silence.

“You made such an impression that he was ready to talk about sealing the deal while we talked in my office.”

Lara gasped at that as Elizabeth’s eyes widened even more. “Already!” exclaimed Lara.

Jeffery nodded. “Yes. He has agreed to lend us the money we need to keep our manor running smoothly in exchange for our daughter’s hand in marriage. So long as our families are one, he will make sure the manor stays ours.”

“Oh my!” whispered Lara.

Jeffery smiled as he pulled Elizabeth into a hug. “I’m so proud of you my dear. You exceeded all of our expectations! I only hope that all of your preparations for this will turn out good for you too.”

She hugged him back as she responded. “Don’t worry about me father. I will be fine.”

He pulled away and looked at her with a sad smile. “Well, in any case your mother and I will have to make the most out of the time we have left with you.” He glanced at Lara before looking back at Elizabeth. “We will be traveling to Kivar’s home in one week.”

Lara stepped towards him. “A week! We only have a week with her!”

Jeffery nodded without taking his eyes off of his daughter. “It is what Kivar wants. Elizabeth will have a week to prepare and pack for her new life. Then once we arrive there, the wedding will take place eight days hence. We will be his guests until that time.”

“Oh Jeffery!” cried Lara.

Elizabeth turned to give her stepmother an encouraging smile. “Don’t fret Lara. You will be with me at least until the day of the wedding. I’m glad of that. I am looking forward to all the things we will be doing to prepare for it.”

Lara turned a teary smile towards Elizabeth. “You’re right, child. There is much we will have to do to prepare for the wedding. I’m sure Kivar will tell us what he expects of the wedding once we arrive at his home.”

Elizabeth nodded before turning to look at her father again. She could see the sadness in his eyes despite the smile he wore. She gave his hand a gentle squeeze. “I won’t let you down, father. Don’t worry about me, everything is going to be fine. You’ll see.”

He nodded as he gathered both her and Lara into his arms. “Yes, it will be fine.”

TBC...
Shadowlynxbehr's Fics