Changing the Past (M/L Mature) *Complete* 12/31/05

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 10

Post by linliz68 »

A/N: Thanks to all the comments and nice words said to me during this hard time. As hard as I tried, I couldn't stay away from writing. But I wanted to let you know I really do appreciate everything you guys have done, from the bottom of my heart.

On with the story...

Chapter 10

When Isabel had first come to his room, he was too busy wrapped up in the memory of the night before to take in her nervous appearance. All he could see was chocolate hair softly floating in the night air as warm eyes gazed down upon him.

A smile slowly formed on his face each time he thought of her. The radio played in the background as he focused all his energy on that moment, and just living in that moment and holding onto it for as long as he could. She had never looked happier then she did as he appeared at her window singing to her the lyrics that took him a week to learn. The results were better then he had expected, even her father admired him for how he had stolen his daughter’s heart.

Now here he stood in front of his sister who possible held the news he hoped he’d never hear. He took in her state of appearance, the way she kept fidgeting and the tears that were threatening to spill over. Taking a deep breath and preparing him for the worst, he gently took her arm and led her back into his room and gently closed the door.

“What do you mean, missing?”

Isabel sighed, slowly bringing herself to sit on the edge of his bed before explaining what was going to be one of the hardest things she’d have to explain. “Michael called a few minutes ago, and explained that Liz had borrowed the Jetta a few hours ago and promised to be back in time for when Maria’s shift would end, but her shift ended an hour ago and still no sign of her.”

“Did she try calling her cell?”

“Yes, and she had it turned off.” Isabel paused. “Michael was really calm about it, I could hear Maria in the background explaining Liz’s behavior about borrowing her car and how she seemed edgy and needed to get something done, but wouldn’t tell her what that was.”

“What do you mean edgy? Liz is never edgy, she’s always calm and collected.” Max stated. “Most of the time, that is.”

Isabel could only nod her head. She didn’t know what else to say to her brother who looked like he could would just break down, he looked so lost and she couldn’t help but feel responsible for making her brother feel that way.

“Look, let’s just head to the crashdown and figure out what exactly is going on, once we know, we’ll go look for her, okay?” Isabel asked, but her tone of voice proved otherwise.

It wasn’t left for discussion, they were going to find her, but at the same time, she couldn’t stop the little voice in the back of her head that they were about to step into something that would change all of their lives.

<center>********</center>

The quiet dining room was disturbed as the chime above rang; the door to the Crashdown swinging open. Maria, who was currently laying her head on Michael’s shoulder, immediately sat up. Rubbing her exhausted eyes, she sighed in relief when her good friend Alex Whitman walked in. She quickly got out of the booth and made her way over to him and pulled him into a tight hug in which he returned with equal strength.

After a few minutes, Alex pulled back and looked from Maria to Michael back to Maria. “What’s going on?”

“Liz is missing.” Maria said before several tears slid silently down her face. “She borrowed my car a few hours ago and hasn’t been back since. She won’t even answer her cell phone. Alex, I’m really worried about her, she’s never done this before.”

“Whoa, whoa slow down. What exactly happened?”

“Well, I was-”

“Let’s just wait til Max and Isabel get here, that way you don’t have to repeat your story a hundred times.” Michael silently pleading, his heart slowly breaking at the sight of the young woman in front of him hurting.

Fearing the worst, Michael wrapped his arm around Maria and pulled her close to him as the sweet smell of her perfume mixed in the air around him relaxing him for the moment. His shirt moistened as her tears mingled with the cotton of his shirt as silent sobs escaped her tired, tense body. He just held on tighter, letting her know that he wasn’t going anywhere and that she always could count on him, even if he didn’t always show it.

Movement caught his attention as he watched Alex grab the closest chair, which was at the bar, and slide into it. He felt for the guy, coming into knowledge of their secret was one thing, but possibly losing a friend because of it was something completely different and although he hadn’t been the nicest to him, he respected him on a deeper level. He saw the way the young man looked at Isabel and it’s a look no one has ever given her and she may not know it yet, but love had found her. She just hadn’t found it yet.

Alex slumped under the pure exhausted that wracked his body as millions of scenarios played out in his mind. How could Liz, his Liz be missing? Had she been acting strange lately? Yes, but that didn’t make any sense. If everyone around them knew what he, Maria, and Liz knew, they’d act differently too. What could possibly going through his best friends head to make her do something like this? It had to be something seriously affecting her on a deeper level then she let on and where were Kyle and Tess?

Michael glanced up at Alex, silently nodding his head no. “Why bother? If he comes, Tess will come to, and I think at this point in time, Max doesn’t need constant we belong together speech.”

“What if she’s the reason Liz is missing?” Maria boldly stated.

“Maria,” Michael began. “You don’t know-”

Maria jerked away from his presence. “I don’t know what, that...that from day one, she’s caused nothing but trouble between her and Max, not to mention we all know that Tess doesn’t like her. If Liz were out of the way, Tess would think it’d be all peaches and cream for her and Max. All she wants is Max and I honestly believe that if she wants him that bad, she’d do anything and I mean anything.”

“I know you don’t want to hear this, hell even I don’t want to hear it, but it does make sense. I get the chills just by being around her and trust me, it has nothing to do with being cold.” Alex sighed. “With you three it was easy, well not easy but you get what I’m trying to say, but with Tess, I felt as though I had to force myself to get to know her and be nice around her without wanting to hurt her for what she was doing to Liz emotionally.”

Feeling the tension return to his body, Michael placed his hand on Maria’s arm, silently begging for her presence to calm his body down and to just be near him. Seeking solace in her, he took her hand and placed it over his heart letting her know how much he loved her and needed her. The more tears he saw, the more his heart broke for the pain of knowing him caused her.

“What do we do now, Michael?”

“What do we do now, Michael?”

Looking over to where Alex was sitting, his back to him and his head laying on the counter, and back down to the angel in his arms, he said all that he knew.

“We wait for Max and Isabel, and then we go out and we find her,” He paused bringing his face mere inches from hers. “And we will find her. I promise you.”

<center>********</center>

"What’s your plan, Liz?”

I glanced over at him, after briefly glancing out at the desert surrounding us. Have I ever mentioned how beautiful it looks at night? It’s something out of a fairy tale, and I look up at the sky for a few seconds before something hits me. It’s almost as if I finally unlocked some more memories from this time that I had forgot about, I never forgot about, some including losing Alex.

“Max, in my time line, Tess mind warped Alex into decoding the book and no one knew the difference when he came back. The one thing that stood out that I was able to piece together was the drum tapping he’d do with his fingers. Kyle was the same way, the same goes for Maria’s mom.”

“Okay, but I still don’t understand where you’re going with this.”

“Think about it, if she had mind warped him already, he’d already be doing the tapping of his fingers, and the last time I saw him, he wasn’t.”

Something inside of him came alive and it was like he finally was seeing things that I had experienced through my time. He looked at me, his eyes alive and shining with anxious power as it coursed through his body and the air around us was alive with static energy.

“Do you think she would still do that to get the answers she needed for the book?” Max asked, standing to stretch his tired, tense legs. “I mean, if she hasn’t done it so far, there is a chance we could save his life.”

“That’s what I’m thinking, but there’s the risk of letting on that I know before she does it and if she figures out that I know, she could do something much, much worse.”

“I’ll kill her if she even thinks about hurting you.”

The once golden, hazel eyes were black as the night around them. The tone he used was a threat I knew he’d go through with, and while part of me was thrilled, the other part was terrified of what would happen to the others if he did kill her.

“Max,” I spoke barely above a whisper. “It’s not your fault for how things went down in my time. You’re blaming yourself for things you had no control over. You can deny it all you want, but deep down you know the truth and you know you didn’t help in killing Alex or any of the other things that happened.”

“If I hadn’t come back, if I...”

“There a million what if’s, Max and you didn’t know what the effects of coming here would do.”

I knew the exact moment he felt all the guilt that had been consuming him slowly slip away. He knew he was also fighting a losing battle if he continued feeling guilty for things he had no knowledge that happened. He realized that all he needed was to hear those words from the girl who had changed his life was the step that would allow him to finally begin the healing process, and if things truly changed in this time, he’d finally feel a sense of peace that would last him for wherever he would go.

“Thank you for saying that,” Max began, taking hold of her hand and intertwining his fingers with hers.

I looked down at our hand and nothing had ever felt more real in my entire life and I knew that whatever was about to happen would change everyone’s lives and for the better.

“How would we find out if he’s been warped by Tess?”

I knew that with what I was about to say would going to be asking a lot, but if it meant saving the life of the young man who had become like a brother to me, I’d do it, no questions asked.

“I want you to form a connection with him, go inside his head, and check for anything that looks like it has been messed with or damaged in any way and if possible, heal the areas that you’d be able to heal.”

Max only nodded his head. “I’d do anything to help you, Alex, and everyone else I possible could.”

Tears formed in my eyes at the boy who had to suddenly be a man and take on the world to save it. His strength and will always find a way of surprising me, and its caused me to love him more.

“I’d have to call him and get him alone to meet me, and then he’d have to meet you. I think the latter of that is going to be the part that freaks him out.” I say with a slight chuckle.

“Let’s try it, see what happens.” He replies with such determination, that it makes the butterflies slowly begin to appear in my stomach at what I’m about to do.

“Okay.”

T.B.C...
linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 11

Post by linliz68 »

Chapter 11

The silence was thick and nerve-racking making both Max and Isabel all that much more nervous, but both were solely focused on the task at hand, making the silence that much more unbearable. Quickly turning on the radio only brought momentarily peace to the chaos that was soon to happen. The slow melodies soon began to fill the jeep as they turned onto the road that would soon lead them to the Crashdown.

Spend all your time waiting
For that second chance
For a break that would make it okay

Looking over at her brother, Isabel watched as his hands gripped the steering wheel so tight his knuckles were turning white. The music washing over her as the lyrics seemed to fit the very situation they were in. Her brother was always so calm, so collected and to see him like this shook her to the core.

“We’ll find her, Max.” Isabel paused, trying to find the words, any words to let him know that he wasn’t alone in his search for Liz. “We’ll do whatever it takes to find her and once we do, everyone we know will be safe.”

“We will do whatever it takes to find her, I won’t lose her again. I can’t lose her again, Isabel, if I do it’ll hurt worse then what happened to me in the white room and the thought of her was the only thing keeping me going.”

There's always one reason
To feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day

“I just don’t understand why everyone around us wants to take away what we are,” Max spoke, running a frustrated hand through his hair. “We can’t help who we’ve become. We never actually had a real home here, and then last year I was finally able to be something I never thought I’d be. A normal teenager, well as close to one, who had fallen in love. But what happens to me after the good deed I did, everyone wanted to crucify me, thinking I was evil and out to destroy mankind.”

“They’re just scared.”

“That’s an excuse and you know it, Iz. They don’t want to understand us, they just want to find a new target to torture, well they got that part to a T. But as of right now, I’m sick of being treated as if I were beneath the human race. I am a human being just like anyone else, so are you and the same goes for Michael. I’m tired of hiding, I just want to live my life.”

So tired of the straight line
And everywhere you turn
There's vultures and thieves at your back
And the storm keeps on twisting

“I understand how you feel, but due to the current situation and how you’re feeling, dont you think that that maybe you don’t actually feel this way.”

“Isabel, you know just as much as I do about having to hide and always watching our backs. I know for a fact that my train of thought is right on, I won’t hide anymore. If someone out there wants to kill me, let them come. I’m right here, hello, and you’re just as sick of it, if not more then I am and Michael is just scared of letting anyone else in, but I hate to say this, Maria is in too deep that no matter what he did, she’d always be there by his side.”

Just listening to him speak the words she had felt for so long, brought a comfort to her overly-tense body and made her realize she wasn’t alone as she thought she was when it came to this. Focusing her attention back on the road, she relaxed her neck and shoulders and laid back against the seat and headrest letting the remaining notes from the song fill her head and her heart.

In the arms of an angel
Fly away from here
From this dark cold hotel room
And the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent reverie
You're in the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort there

Through closed eyes, the bright lights from the Crashdown café sign shown brightly over Isabel’s face. Once the car came to a complete stop, Isabel gradually unbuckled her seatbelt and proceeded out of the car. Just seconds after shutting the door, the jingle above the doors sounded and it was then that she noticed Max was now inside the Café, talking to Michael and Maria, and Alex who was sitting at the counter with his head in his hands.

The sight of him brought a sad smile to her face. Even though they had gotten close over the past few months, Isabel held a part of herself back. For protection or what, she didn’t know but she would never hurt Alex like she had been hurt. Taking the few steps up to the door, she pulled the door open and began to walk over towards Alex when he looked up, almost as if he sensed her presence. The corners of his mouth lifted in an attempted smile, and it was then that Isabel took in his full appearance and how tears were threatening to spill at any second. Just that look alone made her that much more determined to find Liz and finally open herself to someone she could possibly spend the rest of her life with.

He slowly stood as she took no more then a few steps to reach him, and enveloped him in a hug; holding him tightly to let him know he wasn’t alone anymore. The reaction from him was instantaneous as she felt his arms lock around her waist as he buried his head in the crook of her neck , shedding the tears she knew he needed to shed. The moisture from his tears seeped through her shirt and caused tears to sting her own eyes as slowly one by one, they slid down her face. The warmth from his body began to radiate and Isabel gladly accepted it. Rubbing small circles on his back, she allowed soothing power to flow into his body, relaxing the tense muscles and letting him know it was okay to cry. The more tears he cried, the more tears she seemed to cry. It was almost as if a connection had formed and she was feeling everything he felt as he felt what she felt, also.

Somewhere in the background she heard the voices of her brother, Michael, and Maria but couldn’t bring herself to pull away from the man who hurt so deeply. Although the voices seemed to get louder with each passing second, she never let go of the man who stole her heart.

“Maria, what happened?”

“I was about to start my shift today, when Liz came downstairs. I guess the arguing got so loud that she heard it in her room, and-”

“Who was arguing?

“Michael and I,” Maria paused, trying to remember how Liz was behaving when she came downstairs and saw them. “It was weird at first, its like she knew we had been fighting all along and she gave me some perspective on the whole situation, and then asked to borrow the car.”

“Michael, how was she acting?” Max asked, turning to the man who had become his brother.

“She seemed fine to me. You know, she always tries to find a way to get a situation under control and I just figured that was what she was doing in our case, but maybe I was wrong. When she looked at me, I saw something in her eyes. Don’t get me wrong when I say this, but I got a weird vibe, it was like I could tell she had an old soul.”

“Old soul?”

“It’s,” Michael began trying to find the right words to describe it. “It’s almost like living a life you don’t remember; a past life. But in Liz’s case, the feeling I got was she had lived the life she’s living now, only she knows when things are going to happen before they do.”

“I think I need to sit down.”

Michael looked over at Maria with worry in his eyes, as she sat in the booth behind her, sighing in defeat of never understanding why things kept happening to her best friend.

“I’m sorry.”

Maria could only nod her head in silence as she folded her arms on the table, and laid her head down on the table top, hoping the migraine that was slowly forming would go before it got worse. She never expected for this day to go from bad to worse, but it snuck up on her and surprised and scared her in a way she’s never felt before.

“How is it possible for her to do that? To..know things before they happen?” Alex asked, the first few words he had spoken since embracing Isabel.

Michael shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. It could be a side effect from Max healing her, which is only a suggestion, or she really did live the life she’s reliving now.”

Max tried racking his thoughts of the night before of anything unusual, but came up with nothing but the beautiful smile upon her face as she looked down at him. “There’s no way she’s lived this life before. I just saw her last night, how could things have changed from then to now?”

“I don’t know, Max. I really don’t.”

Running a hand through his disheveled hair, Max could only absorb the information that was just said. Not a word passed between anyone and the silence was deafening, Max heard nothing but the fast paced beating of his heart. All he could think about was this wasn’t happening, it was all a dream and soon he’d be waking up. But he knew that wasn’t happening anytime soon.

The ringing of a cell phone startled everyone, as they turned with worried expressions on their faces as Alex pulled his phone out of his jean pocket. He didn't recognize the number but in the back of his mind, he feared it would be Liz, hurt and bleeding somewhere, and that is what motivated him to answer it.

T. B. C.

Song: "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan
linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 12

Post by linliz68 »

A/N: I know its been hectic these past few weeks with me updating, but I do have some good news. After this chapter, there will be one more and possibly an epilogue. I know it feels like forever, but this story has run its course and will so be at an end. So, I want to thank everyone who read and left feedback, even you lurkers out there. Thank you so much!

<center>Chapter 12</center>

“Hello?”

“Alex, don’t say a word, just listen to me, okay?”

“Okay.”

“I need you to come out to the desert, alone. It’s very important that you come now, because if you don’t, I have a feeling something terrible will happen.”

“I’m on my way.” Alex said, as he got up from his chair.

“Alex”, I said, knowing the next few words would make him begin to try to make me see that Max needed me and was probably worried because I hadn’t returned. “I need you to not tell Max and the others where you are going. Lives depend on it.”

Alex stopped just short of reaching the door, knowing that all eyes were on him and his behavior to whoever was on the phone. “What are you talking about?”

“Alex, do you trust me?”

“You know I do. But-”

“No buts, Alex. Meet me at the desert, you’ll see Ria’s car.”

He pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration and sighed heavily. “Okay. I’m on my way.”

“Thank you, Alex.”

The call cut short, and the only sound he could hear was the dial tone and the sound of his rapidly beating heart. Taking a slow, deep breath he prepared himself for the mountain of excuses he was about to make, knowing if he didn’t get them to believe him, he’d never get to see Liz.

Quickly going over in his mind what he was going to say, he turned to face the others and prayed that what he was about to say would be believable enough.

Briefly clearing his throat, to make his voice sound that much more believable, and putting the phone back into his jean pocket, he looked upon each one of their faces, whether for remembrance or what, he didn’t know. He just knew he had to make it fast and get out of there as rapidly as possible.

“That was my dad, he said my mom had hurt her back cleaning earlier today and that this is the first time he’s been able to reach me all day. I must’ve had my phone turned off and didn’t realize it. He also said he wants me home so I can help look after her, so if things get worse I’d be there helping.”

“But Alex-” Maria began to speak, feeling as if the world was crumbling beneath her feet.

“You know I wouldn’t stay unless it was urgent.” Alex spoke softly, knowing what Maria was about to say. “We’ll find her, I know we will, but my family needs me. I hope each of you can understand that if it wasn’t this serious I’d stay here in a heartbeat.”

Isabel glanced up at him, speaking softly. “Go, I’ll call you if we hear anything. You’re family is important, too.”

Her admission made him want to stay, but he knew he was needed elsewhere, and that other place was just as important if not more. “Thank you, Is.”

She simply nodded her head and walked over to the booth where Maria was sitting at and sat down beside her, pausing to watch him leave.

Quickly leaving the café, Alex made his way towards his ‘00 silver Honda Civic. Not having to walk very far, he pulled the keys out of his pocket, unlocking his car with a push of a button and got into the car.

The soothing feel of the leather seats were no longer a pleasantry as he put the key into the ignition and put it into reverse turning the wheel into the direction that would take him out into the desert and hopefully to Liz.

The radio blared “Cold” by Crossfade, as he put the gearshift into drive and pushed on the gas, fast enough to get him out of town but not enough to get the attention of those who could stop him from getting to her. They had learned that the hard way the last time it had happened, and it nearly cost Max his life, but seeing him in the café moments ago, in no way compared to how he felt during the summer when Liz had left for Florida.

Trying to release his frustrations and worries, Alex rolled down his window allowing the night air to wrap around him and carry all his fears away. The conversation he had seconds ago with her didn’t make any sense at all and he couldn’t quite put his finger on what was different about her, but he knew that without a doubt he’d go, no questions asked.

Life seemed so different since the beginning of their sophomore year when Liz was nearly killed and by one act of kindness, Max’s life was nearly taken from him. No one knew the consequences or repercussions of what that one small act would do, but he loved her and would not see her life end so suddenly without a chance of living it and for that, Alex respected Max in ways no one would be able to understand.

Now on the two-way street, with only him and the open road, Alex let himself fully relax even if it were just mere seconds. He knew he needed to be strong for Liz and what was to come and a part of him just prayed the group wouldn’t feel betrayed when they find the real reason he left in such a hurry. He just hoped he wasn’t too late for what was about to happen.

The stars that Alex could see were beautiful against the darkness and vastness of the open sky and he couldn’t help but think to himself that there could be no other reason for Liz’s love of science but the view he was looking at that very second. As the minutes ticked by, he grew more and more anxious and before long he found himself on the road that led directly where Liz had told him to meet her.

Another couple of minutes went by as the sky became darker and already having the headlights on, all Alex had to do was make sure he didn’t go too far and pass Maria’s car in the process. Squinting against the darkness, it didn’t take him long to see the back-end of the red Jetta. Taking his foot of the gas pedal, he let the car slow itself down adding pressure when necessary.

Turning off the headlights, Alex pulled up beside the Jetta. After putting the car into park and turning the car off, leaving the keys inside; with one last look around, he opened the car door and got out. Breathing the crisp night air, and quickly stretching his legs, he wasn’t prepared for the arms that engulfed him in a hug. Unsure of who or what it was, he quickly tried pushing away from whatever it was.

“Alex, it’s me.”

Wide-eyed, Alex immediately pulled her tighter against his body, nearly crushing the life out of her. “Don’t you ever scare me like that. I had no idea what had happened to you or where you went off to, I mean did you even think of calling one of us-”

“Alex-”

“I mean, I may be a computer geek Liz, but I’m your friend first and foremost.”

“Alex.” I repeat, louder. “You’re rambling.”

“I’m nervous.”

Giggling, I have to ask. “Why?”

“Because I had all these scenarios playing out in my head and I thought that if I hadn’t answered my cell phone when I did that you’d be hurt or worse, kidnaped by evil aliens, worse then Tess.”

“Al..Alex,” I say trying to hold in my laughter. “I am fine. I’m standing right in front of you, in one piece. Besides, you think Tess can take me?”

Cracking a smile, I saw him nod his head no. “Hell no.”

“That’s my boy.” I grin as I pull him into another hug.

God, seeing him again like this makes me want to cry. No one like him should have to go through what I’ve been through, and I’ll be damned if anyone tries to stop me from keeping him alive. He is definitely one of a kind. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I pulled away from him.

“Alex, the reason I called you is because something has happened and I need to make sure you’re okay.”

“What are you talking about? I’m one hundred percent man.” He replied wiggling his eyebrows.

Rolling my eyes and cracking a grin, I take his hand in mine. “Alex, you have to promise me that what I’m about to tell you stays between you and me for the time being. I need you to promise me that no one will ever come to this knowledge, a lot of lives hang in the balance.”

“I promise,” he says and holds up three fingers. “Geek’s honor.”

“Okay,” I sigh, turning my head slightly signaling for his attention. I feel his presence minutes before I’m able to see him. The air around us is thick as tension and anxiety as his footsteps get closer. “Alex, I want you to meet Max, from the future.”

The second Alex sees him, I feel like the world has just swallowed me up. The expression he has is priceless and then he calms. “Wo..wow.”

“Alex?” I ask cautiously.

“How far in the future, Liz?”

“Fourteen years.” Max answers, glancing over at me to let me know that he’s about to make the connection.

“Alex, I need to ask you a huge favor.”

“Okay, but if I have to give you a kidney or lung or something like that, I won’t be able to do it.”

Seeing the corners of his lips turn upward slightly, allows some of the tension to leave my body. Just seeing them two together, like brothers, is something I haven’t seen in a really long time.

“You never lost your sense of humor, Whitman. It’s one thing that always seemed to stay with me long after you-”
“Max.” I said, not wanting him to know just yet of what happened to him in the other time.

“What?” Alex asked, looking between Max and I.

“Nothing,” I pause. Knowing that Alex doesn’t accept that as an answer for now. “I need you to let Max connect with you. It’s important for him, because he needs to figure out if something has happened to you.”

Max waits patiently, expecting him to ask tons of questions or just to refuse when he answers.

“Okay.”

“What?” Max asks, not believing his ears.

Alex looks over at me briefly before turning to Max. “I trust Liz, and I know that if you are who you say you are, I trust you too. Besides you look too much like him to not be him. Even the gray hair.”

“Grey? I have grey?” Max looks to me for some, if any, reassurance.

“Relax Max. I only see a few strands.”

“What! I do not have grey,” Max’s posture straightens as he crosses his arms over his chest. An exact imitation of younger Max. “I’ll have you know, if I see one single grey hair, I just wave my hand over it, and poof its gone.”

“Sounds like him, too.” Alex smirked.

Feeling laughter slowly make its way from my stomach to my lips felt refreshing. Having a moment just to be normal was something I had longed for and it was finally here. After several moments of just enjoying each others company, I knew it was time.

“Alex, you ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

I took Max’s hand in mine and brought him over to where Alex was standing. His demeanor was calm, but his posture spoke volumes. His hands were shaking, but he pushed all nervousness to the side. He knew the man in front of him wouldn’t hurt him and he trusted him.

Running his hand over the top of Alex’s head, he began to open the connection. Taking slow, deep breaths Alex matched his breathing to Max’s. Warmth spread through Max’s hand as his eyes closed, searching for anything that would lead him to see if Tess had warped his mind. Images flashed behind Max’s eyes of a young boy riding his bike for the first time, his first kiss, his first guitar, and the last images he saw were of Isabel. He understood the love Alex had for his sister and seeing her through his eyes, the love he had for her, was almost identical to the love Max had for Liz.

Seeing that no damage had been caused, Max removed his hands and took a few steps back. Catching his breath, and regaining his strength he motioned for Liz.

“What did you see?”

“He’s a love-struck, head over heels in love, clean guy.”

“You sound like you’re in awe.” I teased. “He’s a strong young man.”

“Yes, he is.” Max replied and looked at me with the same intensity as before.

I knew that look. He wanted to kiss me, to show me his love over and over again. The fire burning in his eyes matched the own fire in my eyes. I wanted him to consume me, to show me that there was nothing to be afraid of and that nothing would happen to us, any of us.

“Am I still my geeky self?” Alex asked cautiously.

Pulled from the moment, I felt warmth flood my cheeks as I turned to admire the man before me. “Yes, you are still my number one geek, and completely healthy.”

The look of relief matched my own, but I’d allow those emotions to show later. Now that this part of the plan was out of the way, we were onto the complicated part. How we’d get everyone together without causing a scene would be the least of my problems. The one thing that was constantly on my mind was keeping Max and future max from coming in contact with each other.

“Where do we go from here?”

I looked at Max, actions speaking louder then words. As I searched for the words, Alex walked over to his car and pulled out a notepad and pen. Walking back over to us, he began to write. Without looking up, he spoke.

“We have to tell the others.”

“I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that.” Max replied. “But it has to be done.”

“Couldn’t you just show them instead?” Alex asked, holding up the notepad.

He had drawn, or rather outlined a circle indicating where each of us would stand, yet that wasn’t what stood out. Among placing us in the circle, there was an extra place, but a line was dividing them. Almost instantly I knew what that line stood for.

“Is it possible?”

Alex shrugged his shoulders. “From what I know, as long as two forces dont come in direct contact with one another they both should remain from harm. The only way I can see that happening, for any of us to understand what’s about to happen is for it to be done this way.”

“What do you think?” I had yet to hear his thoughts on the matter, and it was crucial to hear his side. It wasn’t just his life being put at risk, it was younger Max who also risked being killed.

“It might just work.”

“You have your plan, now all that needs to happen now is for it to be put into action.” Alex said, standing beside Max and me.

“Let’s do it.”

T.B.C.
linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 13

Post by linliz68 »

A/N: Hey guys, this is it. The final chapter to this story. I know it seems like forever since I've updated but RL has gotten so hectic that I'm grateful to be posting, but none of this would have been possible without you guys. You guys put up with me more then anything and you stuck through it with me. Your FB kept me writing and I'll never be able to say thank you enough.

I know it seems like this has been a short story, but to put this out to the original length would have been 20+ chapters. There have been so many distractions and this story, I couldn't drag it out and keep on posting once a month and leave you guys like that. I truly feel that this story has run its course and sometime in the future, there might be a sequal to this but you never know.

I wish I could thank each one of you individually, but it wouldn't even come close to how much each one of you have helped me and this story along. This has been my first real story I've posted on here, but I'm dedicating it to you, the readers. This is as much your story as it has been mine.

I have to say that if it weren't for Selena, this story wouldn't be anywhere near finished. She has been incredible throughout this entire story and been there when I've been stuck or down and without her persistance I wouldn't be posting this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Sel. *Smooch*

Now, enough of the babbling....Here it is!

<center>******</center>

Chapter 13

“What is taking him so long?”

“He’ll call when he’s on his way. If it were your mom what would you do?” Isabel replied, trying to reason with Maria.

“I’m worried about him okay, you don’t-”

“Enough!” Max yelled. “Liz is missing, has that not sunk in at all?! She could be hurt or worse and what are we doing, we are bickering like two year olds. Liz is our main priority, and Alex can take care of himself. I just wish that everyone could get along for five minutes without constant arguing.”

“Liz is my main concern, she’s been my best friend since we were born. She’s been the one I’ve confided in since finding out about you, Isabel, and Michael. I’ve been there for her more then any of you so don’t you talk to me like I don’t give a damn. Because I do.” Maria paused, the tears from earlier threatening to spill forth. “Don’t you dare.”

“Arguing isn’t going to get us nowhere. We need to-”

Isabel’s phone vibrated against her thigh, causing her to jump. Quickly pulling it out of her front pocket, she pushed talk and held it up to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Isabel, I need you and the others to meet me at Michael’s place right now. It’s an emergency.”

“Alex, I thought you were taking care of a family emergency.”

“Isabel, I don’t have a lot of time. Do you trust me?”

“Yes.”

“Then do this for me.”

“Okay. We’re on our way.”

The dial tone played for a few seconds after. Hanging up the phone, Isabel reached for her Jacket and began putting it on.

“Alex is meeting us at your place, Michael.”

“Why?”

“He wouldn’t say, all he said was that it was an emergency and I’m not taking chances with his life.” Isabel said, standing her ground challenging anyone who’d speak against her.

“It could have something to do with Liz.” Max stated. “I’m going.”

Gathering his jacket and pulling his keys out of his back pocket, he headed towards the doors. Looking back at the group behind him, an unanimous decision was made.

“Let’s go.”

<center>******</center>

“Alex, are you there yet?”

“Yeah, I used the spare key you gave me. We’re in the back room.”

“Okay, just whatever you do, do not let Max come into that room and don’t let the other Max leave the room. It’s crucial.”

“I got it, but what are you going to do?”

“I needed to see something for my own eyes to know if its true. I’m heading over there now. I’ll be there no more then ten minutes. If they get there before you do, stall as long as you can, but do not let either Max come into contact with the other.”

“Okay.” I hung up the phone, throwing it into the passenger seat.

I knew something was off about how I had went to Kyle the night everything changed. I had interrupted a private moment between him and Tess. It was also one of the reasons I knew no one had tried calling or reaching her or Kyle. They didn’t trust either one of them as much as the rest of us in the group. I had to see it for myself. If the passion was really there, because if passion laid there, love wasn’t far behind.

I parked the Jetta further away then I had intended to from the Valenti’s residence and quietly made my way towards Kyle’s room. What I saw confirmed the nagging feeling the pit of my stomach. Wrapped in sheets, were Kyle and Tess. The way he held her, protective and safe, from any who threatened him or her. Her head laying on his chest, sleeping peacefully. The calmness surrounding her was something I never saw in her and a thought occurred to me. Maybe there was some good in her.

Now less then five minutes away from Michael’s apartment, my nerves were on end. I didn’t know what I’d say to get them to believe me, but I knew that once the connection was formed, they’d have all the information they would needed.

<center>******</center>

“Alex, what’s so important that we all had to meet? And at my place, of all places. Oww.” Michael said, rubbing his head where Maria hit him.

“Gee Michael, could it be because it has something to do with Liz and the fact that the Parkers own the Café would make it a little awkward talking about their missing daughter. I mean, that’s just an out there idea.”

“Guys enough, please.” Max said, rubbing his forehead, the feelings of a headache not far away. “Alex said to meet us here, so where is he?”

All eyes went to Isabel.

“What, don’t look at me like that. All he said was to meet here and that it was important. I know better then to ignore him.”

“Wouldn’t it make sense for him to be here before us?” Michael asked.

“I am here.”

All heads turned, as Alex walked into the living room. His posture straight and his face emotionless as he looked at from each person to the next. He walked over to Isabel, and immediately wrapped his arms around her, breathing in her scent and reveling in her warmth. She was his strength in time of conflicts and he felt like the luckiest around her. After several moments, he pulled back but kept his arm protectively around her waist.

“You guys should sit down. Liz will be here in a few minutes.”

“You knew where she was and you didn’t tell me.” Max asked, hurt and anger evident in his voice.

“What good would that do? There were a few things she needed to take care of without any of you coming along for the ride. Besides that, she doesn’t need your permission for anything she does.”

“Alex!” Isabel exclaimed. “Where is this coming from?”

“Liz will explain everything, because I highly doubt you’d believe me. All I have to say is,” Alex paused focusing his attention solely on Max. “You better treat her right, or you’ll have to deal with me. Powers or not, I can still take you.”

“Would someone explain to me what the hell is going on?” Michael yelled frustrated at how the situation was turning out.

“Alex, you knew where she was. Yet you pretended like you were just as worried as I was.” Maria whispered.

“Ria, I did worry about where she was. I didn’t know where she was until she called my cell, and then she even made me promise not to tell you guys, and I assumed it had to do with you guys and knowing Liz, she needed to have all the facts before she approached a subject.”

“Alex, you’re talking in riddles. Please tell me what the hell is going on and where is Liz?” Max pleaded.

“I believe I said she’s on her way here. Don’t make me knock it into you, because I will. I may be a geek, but I got some muscles.”

Michael just scoffed. “Okay Whitman, I’ll wait til she gets here and explains herself. But please, don’t boast about your manliness.”

Alex smirked and rolled his eyes. “Okay.”

“She’s okay, right?”

“Max, if she was hurting would I be here?”

Max simply nodded his head. “I’m sorry, you know, for earlier.”

“Forget it. I have.”

<center>******</center>

Parking the Jetta in the drive-way, I turned off the car and prepared myself for what was to come. It was years since I had seen any of them, and now just moments away the only thing I wanted to do was run in the opposite direction. What right did I have to do that? I have the power to effect change and that’s what I plan on doing, because I don’t want the future to repeat itself the way it did.

Opening the door, I pulled myself out of the car and shut the door as quietly as I could and began making my way to the screen door. Thankfully it was closed so that no one could see me approaching, but also made me much more nervous. Just to walk in there and have all eyes on me and be bombarded with questions so fast I wouldn’t know which way would be up.

Everything was still the same, nothing had changed. Had I expected it to change in the amount of time I had been gone? In some weird way, yes. But I’m back at the exact moment everything changed and I was about to change things once more. Taking a deep breath, I placed my hand on the doorknob and turned it and pushed it open.

All conversations had immediately stopped as I was pulled into one hug after another and that’s when I felt it, the emotional strain it was taking on Future Max being so close to his younger self. I knew I had to talk and talk fast.

“Guys, I don’t have a lot of time, so please just do what I ask and everything will be explained in what I show you.”

“Liz, what is going on?” Maria asked worriedly.

“Ria, trust me.” I paused, looking to Alex. “Is he ready?”

“Yes, but he wasn’t doing so good. I think its taking a toll on him.” Alex replied, nodding his head in the general direction of the back room.

“What’s going on? Whose back there?” Michael demanded.

“We don’t have a lot of time.” I force out.

I began slowly making my way towards the room, and as soon as I reached the door, I placed my hand on the center of it letting him know that I was here. Love and comfort filled my heart as I realized his hand was on the exact same spot as mine.

“Max, I need you standing here.” I motioned to where I was standing. “Keep your hands by your side til I say otherwise.”

Max wanted to ask her the multitude of questions running through his head, but kept his mouth closed as he walked over to where she stood. The temptation to put his hand where hers was just seconds ago was overwhelming, but he trusted her. He knew there was a reason behind this and she’d explain everything in due time.

“Isabel, I want you on Max’s right side and Michael I want you on his left. What you’ll see is very important, and you’ll need to be connected directly to one another. Maria, you’ll stand next to Michael and Alex will be standing beside Isabel. I’ll be in the middle of Alex and Maria, because it takes a lot out of me, but with the connection it’ll help immensely.”

“Liz-”

“Maria, I don’t have a lot of time. Please do as I ask.”

She simply nodded her head as Michael and Isabel went to where I had put them. Alex came up beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder giving it a light squeeze. I nodded my head and began to make my way to where everything would be released from deep within my mind and out for the others to see.

“Everyone join hands. Michael, you’ll need to place your hand on Max’s shoulder because the hand you’d hold will be pressed up against the door.”

Michael nodded his head and placed his hand on Max’s shoulder.

“Max, when I say it, immediately put your hand on the door and don’t let go.” Max nodded his head once.

My free hand was tingling with power not used. It knew what was to come, and felt excited to be let out. I signaled for Max and immediately grabbed Maria’s hand. The connection was formed instantly as images flew by. Childhood images, first crushes, first kisses, first heartbreak, and then the images slowed down as they reached the point of time no one was familiar with except me.

A man, older and wiser was shown. He mirrored that of Max and was shown going to me for help as he was shown hiding in the shadows, watching life repeat itself. He was shown in an office that Liz was familiar with and then the kiss came. The explosive kiss that showed shared memories, of passion and love.

Vegas was shown next, as money was won and hearts were broken. Angry words were shared and memories were shown. A wedding that never took place, a audition taken the wrong way, and a singer discovering her talent. The revelation of a stressed year, and a few teenagers taking advantage of the “City of Dreams”.

Next was so heartbreaking that I had to turn my head. Not seeing them didn’t make them less real, but the pain was so new, experiencing it for the first time in an extrememely long time. The funeral of someone very dear to me, and I felt his grip on my hand tighten. I brought my tear stained face up to his letting him know that I didn’t want him to know til it was time. Anger, hatred, and fear divided the young group and a boy once surrounded by those he loved was deserting him. All except one. In a moment of despair and loneliness he had slept with another of his kind and gotten her pregnant. The next images went by faster then the last. An investigation leading me into the heart of the group and to the one we all thought we could trust. Although words couldn’t be hurt, the actions spoke louder.

Hundreds of flashes and memories changed quickly barely giving anyone any time to recognize who they were of. New love, new leads, a marriage, an arrest, a new school, and new powers were shown interchangeably. The very last were of a life on the run coming to an end, with each one getting killed by the hands of those who were scared of them to begin with.

I began to loosen my grip on the other’s hands, as new power was added to the group. New images, visions of things I had never seen before were shown before my very own eyes. A life of passion and love, happiness and kindness, marriage and new beginnings. Everyone was happy, everyone was loved, and there were no secrets. But one was missing, one that was key to the others survival. In moments of isolation and pain, she had left. Left the others to survive on their own, and they had managed. Til they arrived.

Torture and pain was felt, but no gruesome flashes were shown. His way of protecting us from seeing our own deaths. The last image lasted longer than any other, our wedding dance on a deserted road with our closest friends there. Everyone was happy, everyone was loved, and everyone was together. As the image faded out, I heard the words barely above a whisper: I always loved you, and always will.

“What the hell was that?” Isabel asked, still holding onto Alex’s hand.

“That looked like me..what is going on?” Max whispered, his face slightly pale from all the emotions he’s had to feel in a span of less then five minutes. He slid his body down the door, and laid his head in his hands.

“Liz, what’s wrong with your hand?”

Out of all the questions, that one grabbed my attention. Looking down at my clenched hand, I noticed that the tingling feeling hadn’t returned, but instead tiny green specks of lightening were shooting across my hand. Strangely enough, I didn’t feel the shock of the lightening because I was so focused on showing the events that led up to and after the time when Future Max had showed up. I was so absorbed into past memories, that the hold on my powers had been released and allowed them to be free.

But before I could speak, a loud crash came from the room Future Max was in. I looked to Alex to see what was up, but he wasn’t even looking at me. He, too was looking in the direction of the room, but also at Max. The tension flowing through his body and the struggle it took for him to stand up. I immediately know that something is not right.

“Alex, take Max and get the hell out of here.”

Alex nods his head, and with the help of Michael and Isabel, and carries him out of the apartment and into his car. He comes in just seconds later, running a frantic hand through his already disheveled hair.

“Where do you want me to take him?”

“The desert.” I say already making my way towards the door where Future Max is at. “I’ll call when I’m ready for you to bring him back.”

Alex nods his head and runs back out the door and seconds later, all I hear is the sound of tires squealing against the concrete. The screen door slamming shut a few times before coming to a complete halt.

“Whatever you do, do not open this door once I close it.” I say, and notice that Maria is about to speak. “I don’t have a lot of time here, and frankly if you don’t want to be in the path of what’s about to go down, do not open that door for anyone. Not even me.”

Taking several more steps, I begin to reach for the doorknob when I’m thrown back against the wall.

“Liz!”

“Maria, stay back.” I grit out.

The pain flowing through my back is in no way in comparison to the sudden power surge I feel going through my body. Pushing myself up, I use the wall I was just thrown against as leverage and begin making my way back towards the door.

The air, thick with tension and spent up frustration, caused my hair to stand on end. It felt as if I were pushing my way against the wind, as the force of the power grew stronger. I felt pieces of emotions and saw glimpses of emotions, but the emotion that slide through my body was of great anger and hate.

“It’s me.” I whispered. “Let me in. Just me.”

The force slowly receded, but not even a second later, an even stronger, more powerful wave hit me. Using my powers, I placed my hands, palms out against the force feeling my powers absorb the power and then turn it around and push against the very force keeping me away. Vaguely feeling the doorknob, I managed to turn it and open the door.

The silence was momentary as a vase, just inches from my head, flew past and smashed against the same wall, I was threw against. Slamming the door shut behind me, I wasn’t prepared to for the sight in front of me. He was crouched against the wall, near the closet, clutching his head. The tears were evident as he wiped at them feverishly, but the friction in the air was so thick that every few seconds, little strikes of lightening could be seen.

“Please leave.” he begged.

My heart broke even more. “You know I can’t.”

“It hurts so much...so much.”

“What hurts?” I say, taking small tentative steps towards him.

“I keep seeing it over and over in my head. It won’t stop. The pain, the anger, the betrayal. It’s all coming back, and I can’t stop it.” His voice thick with pain. “Everytime I close my eyes, I see their deaths all over again.”

“Max...”

“Don’t come any closer. I don’t want to hurt you.”

“You could never hurt me.” I softly replied.

He raised his head, and for the first time his eyes now staring deeply into mine, were full of anger and hatred. “My powers are out of control, Liz. Don’t tempt fates by doing something stupid and getting yourself hurt or worse. I can’t control anything right now, and the closer you get, the harder it is for me to hold onto any sense of control. I can’t hold it in for much longer.”

“Then don’t.” I say and immediately know what has to be done.

“Liz...”

“No. Don’t you dare try to protect me, Max. You’ve done nothing but hurt me, and everytime you try to make it better, all you end up doing is hurting me more.”

“What are you talking about?” He asks, his voice broken, but I can feel the emotions coming through. “There were times when I..”

“You kept it all to yourself, all the responsibility. You never once thought to lean on somebody else and you’re doing it again. Why can’t you let anyone in?”

Quickly standing, I find that its hard to move in any direction as his eyes pierce my own. The emotions coming off him, were hitting me one after another. The expression on his face was pure fear of what he was capable of.

“You don’t mean that.”

“Oh, I don’t? Everytime you pushed me away, you put everything on yourself thinking that you had done something wrong or that I had done something to you that I shouldn’t have. Another instance is when Isabel claimed that you were controlling and you came to me, for some reason you figured that I’d agree with you, but she was right. You were controlling. Events that you had no control over, you managed to manipulate to where you could have some control over. And when it was all on you and something went wrong, you paid the price for it. The guilt was too much and some days you couldn’t even look me in the eye.”

“What was I supposed to do? I was the one everyone looked up to, I had to have all the answers and still it wasn’t enough for everyone. I didn’t have one moments peace, every where I went, someone needed answers. It got to the point where I just wanted to leave and never look back. I would leave Roswell and never return.” He paused, fully standing and making his way towards me. “Do you know what that would mean for you? I thought that if I left, then all the problems would follow me and you’d finally be able to live a normal life.”

“Running was always the answer for you, wasn’t it.” I say in disgust and shake my head. “Never face the problem head on, when it got too rough for you, you either backed away or left.”

“You left me!”

“What does that have to do anything? I stayed by your side til the end.”

“Yeah, you sure as hell didn’t waste any time leaving me once I had received the message from my supposed mother. Not even a few hours earlier, didn’t we profess our love for each other, didn’t that mean anything to you?”

“You had a destiny! You came here to preach to me about how you needed to be with Tess because if not, the world would end. I walked away because I knew what I had to do, I had to let you go to save others, innocent people that would come to need the help only you could bring. So, don’t you say I walked away when things got too heavy.”

“I guess that the time I was in the white room wasn’t important to you, that every second was complete hell. Not knowing whether I’d live through the night or not, but the only thought that kept me fighting was you, Liz. After Michael and Nacedo got me out of there, the only thing on my mind was seeing you again. Were you relieved at all to know I had survived or were you just counting down til you could actually leave me?”

“You kissed Tess! You knew there was something off about her, something that was making you have flashes, after saying that I was the only one, and right in front of me. Were you trying to prove that she meant nothing to you? Because if you were, you sure as hell proved it. I mean, coming to the Café in the pouring rain to basically hand me your heart spouting off lines of bull and then go to her, and kiss her intimately not even a minute after leaving me. Let me tell you, that’s love.”

“Damn it, Liz. When are you going to let that go? There was a pull between the two of us, and I couldn’t fight it, and honestly I didn’t want to. I felt that if she were one of us, that maybe Michael, Isabel, and I could finally figure out what where we came from. But don’t think I went willingly. I loved you, I still love you and if I could go back, I’d change everything.”

“It’s too late to change things that can’t be changed. The past can’t be changed because I don’t want it to be changed.” I paused, taking a few small steps forward. “Maybe this was all supposed to happen. You are really supposed to be with Tess.”

“No, I refuse to believe it.”

Max began to back away from me. My presence around him was too strong, mixed in with our powers ready to be unleashed. His hands were itching to let some power loose, as were mine and I needed to get him ready for what he was about to unleash. I needed him to get everything out, and I had to fight harder then ever before.

Sighing to myself, I looked at him head on. “Running away isn’t going to change the fact that I’m right.”

“I’m not running!”

A lamp, to my left, shattered into pieces. Sharp shards of glass cut my left arm, as I could feel the skin tear and blood begin to slide down. The pain was momentary as my powers began running through my veins.

“Why couldn’t you just stay away.” He asked, backing up until he felt the wall behind him.

“Why couldn’t you just believe me when I told you about Alex? Why did it have to be this all out war to prove who was right, when all along the person who betrayed us, was the one you slept with. You flaunted the relationship you had with her in front of everyone, you pushed everyone away, and you treated me like I was a stranger to the group. You killed my soul, but you had no idea how incredibly stronger you made me in that instant.”

“You pushed my worst fear in my face, what if I had something to do with Alex’s murder, and in truth, I did. Michael, Isabel, and I all helped in bringing her into the group, and she helped herself to killing him. And for what, selfish bullshit reasons to get home to where we’d all be killed, so it didn’t matter one way or the other what I did. I still failed everyone, even you.”

The lights around us began flickering as the chair nearest him began sliding across the floor. The light above us began shaking violently and immediately burst into millions of pieces. Placing my palms outward, I felt the first tremors of his powers come towards me. All the lights in his room, burst into pieces, as I got down onto the ground and covered my head.

“Get out now, Liz.”

“Like that’s an option now.” I gritted out, hissing as I felt a piece of glass cut into my back. “You want to fight, then bring it.”

The first burst of power had me flying across the room, the dresser catching my back as I fell onto the floor, hard. My back was on fire, and every muscle ached as I forced myself back on my feet. Another wave of energy came immediately as I brought my hands up and blocked it, sending it back towards Max.

I hadn’t opened my eyes, but the crash that came next showed that my powers had increased since I last remembered. Everytime my hand lunged outward, a burst of power exploded out of me and went directly in the path of where he was. The only damage that could be heard was the sound of walls smashing and pieces of furniture exploding. One hand outstretched, while the other held up a protective force around me to keep from further injuries. It could stop the main part of the pain, but the remaining emotions were the ones that got through, causing my shield to slowly deteriorate.

My eyes opened to him, watching him struggle with himself and his powers. The tears were still running down his face, but they were no longer of anger and hate, but of helplessness and pain. The pain of a life that would never belong to him and the memories of a life lived, but never returned to hurt him the worst.

A few more blasts of energy were felt before he staggered to his knees. The energy from what just happened exhausting him beyond measure. He fell back against the wall, his back hitting it with more force then I’ve seen in a long time. It was as if he was giving up. Everything he ever fought for, gone in an instant and he wished he could take it back. His eyes admitting his defeat, as his hands, shaking uncontrollably, came up and wiped his tear stained face.

“I’m sorry.”

Without realizing it, I made my way over to him and covered his body with my warmth. “There’s nothing more you could’ve done. You loved and you lost, but you kept fighting. That means more to me then you’ll ever know.”

“It doesn’t change what I did, it doesn’t change the fact that I hurt you more than I ever dreamed of and I’ll never get to see Isabel or Michael ever again.”

“Would I really let you go without giving you a chance to see your family again?” I slowly stood up, bringing my hand out. “Come on.”

Wiping the last of the tears streaming down his face, he looked up at me and for the first time, he had slivers of hope in his eyes. He knew I wouldn’t purposely ever hurt him and he was putting his life in my hands. Grasping his hand tightly, I helped pull him up. His legs began to give out on him, the exhaustion still there, as I wrapped my arm tightly around his waist. He leaned most of his weight on me, and I welcomed it, comforting him with my warmth and protecting him with my love.

Slowly maneuvering around the broken glass and pieces of furniture, I reached out to open the door. “Are you ready?”

Sighing, he replied. “I’ve never been ready for this, but I’m thankful just to see them again. Even if it’s the last time.”

Placing my hand on the doorknob, the coolness of it compared to the heat radiating from my hand, I prepared myself for this moment, too. Pushing the door open, I kept my free hand ready for anything that was to come mine, or Max’s way.

“Liz, are you...” Maria asked as she rose up from the couch, but upon seeing who I was carrying, all coherent thoughts escaped her.

Michael looked over at the exact moment Maria paused in speaking. I could feel it moments before it happened. My hands were tingling with power, preparing itself for a fight. My hand, palm facing downward, I could feel the shield beginning to form and as I raised my hand, I managed to block the blast.

Michael, stunned, couldn’t do anything but stand there with his mouth opened. Isabel was up in an instant, by Michael’s side, but she couldn’t bring herself to raise her hand or speak. Her hands were shaking as she shook her head, making sure she wasn’t dreaming or seeing things.

“Liz..” Max whispered.

“Maria, get me that chair.” I asked, struggling to keep my balance and the shield around us. “Now.”

Quickly standing, she took the chair she had just sat and cautiously walked towards Max and I. Placing it in the hallway, I took the extra steps needed and carefully let him sit down. I sat in his lap, wanting to protect him from any harm that would come his way. The shield intensified as I realized that Max was adding his power to it.

Turning towards him, I leaned down and whispered in his ear. “Don’t use any power that you might need later on. Put your trust in me, baby. I’m here and I’m not going anywhere.”

Turning my head back towards the ones who had become my family, I began to speak in a tone I hadn’t heard in a long time. I was sick of everyone always on guard and distrusting of each other and I knew it had to stop and had to stop now.

“He’s your brother, Isabel, and your friend, Michael. How could you think to actually hurt him when he’s been hurt more then you could ever imagine. He did nothing but protect you both til the end, and he’s still living in his hell because he blames himself for things he had no control over and yet, here you are without so much asking who he was, just start shooting. He’s struggling with holding onto to this life, because the other life he came from was just about to end and he came here to save all of you. He holds you both so incredibly close to his heart, and without even asking, I knew that if there was one thing I could do to bring him some kind of peace to his life of war, I’d do it, no questions asked.”

“How do we know that it’s really him?” Isabel whispered, unshed tears in her eyes.

“Do you even have to ask that?” I reply rhetorically.

“Liz,” He whispered. “I want to say something. I don’t have much time left.”

I nodded my head. “I’m not letting the shield down, though. I don’t want to risk hurting you again.”

“It’s okay. I trust you.”

“There was a point in my life where I took each one of you for granted. I knew that in the back of my mind that you’d always be there for me, and help me with anything I would ask. All of you exceeded my expectations. Long ago, we had promised ourselves not to let anyone in, and I had broke that pact, but it lead to something incredible. We each cared for someone other then us, and we loved so fiercely. When everything happened, there was so much left to do and so many things unsaid, but the one thing I regretted through the times was never saying how much I loved each and everyone of you and how much I’d give just to see you one last time.” He paused. “Thank you.”

“Oh, Max.” Isabel replied, slowly taking steps forward as tears streamed down her face. Her hands shaking uncontrollably as she tried making her ways towards him.

I was still cautious, but feeling his hand on top of mine, I knew he was ready. I slowly brought back the powers that brought the shield and slowly got up out of his lap. Once I was up, I moved around to the back of the chair, parts of me were still on alert but watching him as he struggled to stand, I could do nothing but watch as he embraced his sister for the first time in almost a lifetime.

Michael stood shell-shocked, but once Maria nudged him, bringing him back to reality he began to move towards his sister and his brother. Watching on as his arms gripped her waist, the tears broke through, he had never saw Max like this, and not even knowing what he has gone through, he felt a sense of pride and respect he has never felt for anyone in his life.

Slowly releasing Isabel, but keeping her by his side, Michael surprised everyone, including himself as he gripped Max’s hand and pulled him into a tight hug. The force was nothing in comparison as Max’s arms tightened then relaxed as he finally felt at home. Both of them holding onto each other as if their life depended on it. The sight of them, alone almost brought me to my knees. It felt like family again, and I felt this immense sadness because he wouldn’t be with us much longer.

Several minutes passed before either pulled back. It was when Max caught a first glimpse of Maria. She had yet to move from her spot nearest Isabel, but seeing her again brought back all the enjoyment she brought, the laughter, even the arguing between her and Michael before they were married. The way her smile always lit up the room, and how Michael always cared for her and protected her, even til the very end.

“Maria.”

She was in his arms, before he could even blink. Her arms griping his waist as she held him tighter then he thought possible. He was the one person in the world who went through the same things she did, and he listened with an open heart and lived life to the fullest. She couldn’t believe that this was the same person she saw less then an hour ago. She couldn’t lose him or anyone who was close to her, and the images he kept from them did nothing to ease the pain she felt in her heart. She felt the loss that he felt and she felt as though she lived his life through him and she wanted to bring him some peace to his life, even for just a moment.

Slowly releasing her from her embrace, Max raised his head to regard each person in the room, his eyes lingering longer as each face passed his sight. The look on their faces mimicking his own as he found himself fighting for more time in this world with the ones he loved dearly.

“I don’t have much time left here, but remember these words, don’t let the small things take your mind places your not ready to go to. Don’t focus on the small problems at hand, because if you do, life will pass you by. There is so much beauty in this world,” He paused, holding out his hand for me to take, which I did, no questions asked. “There is so much honesty, love, and goodness that I don’t want another second wasted on the bad things in life. Keep the ones you love close and don’t push them away for a second. Love will be the strongest weapon you will have and it’ll keep you grounded and keep what’s most important just that, most important. Love one another and spend as much time as you possibly can. Don’t spend a second regretting anything. Live your life as if you were to die tomorrow, but learn as if you were to live forever.”

Each nodded their head, as his grasp of my hand lessened and lessened.

“Max, are you...,” I turned my head to the side and saw that he was tardily beginning to fade. “What’s happening?”

“It’s time, Liz.”

“No, you can’t. Not now.” I shook my head, not wanting him to leave and the feelings that he evoked within me.

“You’ll be fine.” He paused, taking a deep breath. “Just stand by my side and love me endlessly. We’ll make it through. I have faith in you.”

I nodded my head, holding back the tears I knew were threatening to come. I had to be strong for him and show him that I wouldn’t let him or anyone else down. Within a matter of seconds, he ceased to exist, but the wind around me stirred.

I love you.

“Liz, what happened?” Michael whispered.

Taking a deep breath, I began to explain my life and all I was put through. There was anger, hurt, passion, desperation, fear, betrayal, loss and love, but I prevailed. I knew the mistakes I had made and knew now not to repeat them.

I explained every moment that I had lived, and what happened to each one of them. Questions were asked, and I answered them as best I could. The truth was finally out there and I no longer felt trapped in my own hell. I could finally breath again and the ones dearest to me would be safe and be able to prepare themselves for everything that was to come.

I took each of their hands and looked them square in the eye and told them not to put their life on hold for what could happen and focus on what is happening, and to not let life pass them by. I also told them that the mistakes that our group has made in the past will stay just that, in the past and that they wouldn’t dictate how our lives would be led. Mistakes had been made, lives had been stolen, but love prevailed.

“Liz, you’re vibrating.”

“Wha...oh, thanks.” I took my phone out of my pocket and accepted the call. “Hey, yeah. Everything’s good. No, he’s gone. Uh-huh, yep gone. No, its okay. Yeah, put him on.”

“Liz, what’s going on? What did I just see?”

“Max, everything’s okay. Just come back with Alex, and I’ll explain everything.”

Hanging up the phone, the silence was almost deafening. “You guys, things have changed in a way that has me thinking that my time and his won’t happen, but that doesn’t mean it won’t. The reason Tess and Kyle have not been here is because no one has called them or informed them that something has happened and that in a way helped them more then it did us. There is a chemistry that I believe they’ve been fighting but they gave into last night. They are together now, and from what I saw, it’s serious. Just remember that who they are now is not who they were in my or Max’s time. They deserve our love and support and to be part of the family that we’ve become. Don’t judge them by their past mistakes.”

Something behind me caught my eye, and being that I was so caught up in telling the others about living their lives that I hadn’t heard Max or Alex come in. Nor did I realize how fast they drove to get here.

Turning around fully, Alex had tears in his eyes and nodded his head showing full adoration and respect for what I had just done. I never saw him that way before, and he has become a brother to me. He walked over to me and squeezing my shoulder before making his way towards Isabel, who wrapped her arms around him.

“Max, I-”

“Shh, it’s okay. I know why you did what you did and although I don’t fully understand your reasons, by changing the past you preserved our future and for that I don’t think I could ever say thank you enough.”

“To our bright and beautiful future, together.”

The End.