Behind The Stone Wall M/M Teen 8/26 CC 1/1

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Sin
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Behind The Stone Wall M/M Teen 8/26 CC 1/1

Post by Sin »

Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell.
Title: Behind The Stone Wall
Pairing: Michael/Maria
Rating: Teen
A/N: Repost. Michael's thoughts during Behind The Music. Not a happy fic. A stand alone. One shot. First Candy fic. Eva. lol. Quotes from the actual episode are in quotations.

Mood Music: Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor from I Don't Know What I Haven't Got

He didn’t think he would ever have to deal with this.

I mean how weird was it to have Maria run away from him. She had always told him time after time that he was the one that was always walking away from her. That he wasn’t as invested in their relationship and that she was tired of being taken advantage of. Now she needed space.

He was angry. No he was pissed. How could she do this to him! After she knew how he didn’t like to get attached to people. It was his entire motto from the begin when they first met. But no. He put all of his commitment issues aside and refused to go back to his home planet for her. He stayed for her.

For him she replaced the stars and now all of his stars were falling and crash landing all around him and so was his heart.

What had changed? Billy! Of course Billy comes along and he rightfully tells her that he doesn’t like him staying with her and she get’s all upset. If anyone should be upset it is him, she cooked him Italian food.

That was their’s. Michael wasn’t always love-y dove-y with her but he considered that to be private and intimate between them. She knew how much he loved her lasagna, her spaghetti and she even experimented with fettuccini and ravioli sometimes even when he worked long hours and was unable to make it home for dinner she would still leave leftovers for him in the microwave with a little note on the window it told him little things, stupid jokes, Maria-esque quirks that highlighted his night.

He told her that they were childish and frivolous but secretly he cherished them. He wouldn’t tell her that though. He would deny continually until he was blue…or green in the face.

So as far as he saw it she had nothing to be upset about. She was giving Billy his Michael things and she was in the wrong. He wasn’t going to apologize. He refused.

He was tired of having to apologize for not wanting another man to be around his girlfriend so much. He was in her house. Seeing her things. Living in her living room and spending way too much time talking about stuff that meant so much to her.

He could feel her pulling away even if it was only small steps at a time. He was too close and he didn’t want to share her. He wanted all of her and he wanted to be the only one to see her that closely. It didn’t help that Billy was a musician.

It only further aggravated him because he had no clue about melody, harmony, g-note or f cleft or whatever it was that bonded them together. But Billy knew and he was terrified that he was giving her something that he could not. He invested too much and he didn’t want to lose her. She was all he had left.

Yeah he had Isabel and Maxwell at least in theory. But Isabel was married and off doing this weird step ford wife thing and Maxwell was off on his quest to find his way-ward son and maybe he should be more aware and more concerned but they had happiness.

They had someone.

He was scared that he wouldn’t. Why didn’t she see that. Why couldn’t she see that he was losing it at the simple thought of losing her. This was terrifying him and all she could do was defend Billy.

Maybe he was being irrational. Maybe he was being possessive. He didn’t care. He was tired of this guy monopolizing on his girlfriends time, thoughts and kindness.

He. Had. To. Go.

If he didn’t go soon he was going to pull out his vocal chords threw his nose. But no he wasn’t jealous. He could take him.

He scoffed if Maria knew what he was thinking about she would chastise him for being childish and call him a cave man.

Maybe he was. He didn’t care he wanted him gone. She knew how he was. She shouldn't have been surprised after their singing. It’s not as if she had never been jealous before. She nearly went bat-crazy when she thought he slept with Courtney.

What reaction did she expect. He wasn’t afraid of the physical connection so much. He knew Maria loved him and would never cheat on him. But it’s the seeds that he was planting in her.

He knew that if he didn’t work fast that Maria was going to start wanting things. Things he couldn’t give her. She loved music, she would want to experience the life Billy led and if she did...He didn’t want to think of where he would be.

He began to approach her. She was sitting on the bench and she looked cold, why did they need to talk.

He knew it wasn’t about something good. She had that tone and besides what person ever wants to hear “We need to talk”? It was like an unspoken rule that something hazardous was going to follow and he didn’t feel like going threw another explosive argument with Maria.

He was tired and he was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to control his powers if he did start to get angry. He was the first one to start “You wanted to talk which usually means you want to kick my ass so I brought friends” he figured he'd open her up with humor maybe he could avoid it but he was shocked to see that she wasn’t angry.

She was eerily calm and that scared him more then her furious glares ever did. Taking in her appearance she looked sad, she looked exhausted and his heart lurched.

Maria sniffled and laughed mirthlessly “Thanks I guess” he didn’t like the signs he was getting from her. Michael began to think the worst. She is leaving me for him. He has turned her against me and she’s leaving me. I’m going to be alone.

He voiced his fear “Is he gone yet?” Maria shrugged and put on a fake smile and with a faux cheery voice said “Yeah. Are you happy now?” Michael gulped. This is it. This is where she is going to ream me out for forcing her into chasing song boy away. “Getting there”. But he wasn’t expecting her reaction.

“Good because I want to break up”. Everything fell away in that instant. He didn’t understand her words. He didn’t comprehend her meaning. Maybe it was a test. Maybe she wanted to see how committed to her he was. Or maybe it was to see how hard he would fight for her. He blinked for a couple of seconds. He didn’t understand her. Why couldn’t she just tell him what she needed. He could do that. He could give her some jewelry. He could become her perfect boyfriend. He could try harder. Work less hours, spend less time with the guys. He would make her his entire world because she was.

She was the foundation his new life was set upon. He would do anything to keep her. Why were they breaking up. He was lost. He didn’t understand. “I’m lost”.

She kept on talking but he couldn’t hear her. He caught a little bit of it. Aliens. Humans. Bad stuff. What the hell. Why was she doing this to him. Going back to the conversation “What about the fun stuff?”. His mind instantly remembered when he kidnapped her and forced her to go to Texas with him, their road trip was always a soft spot for him and she had him hooked from the beginning and even had him telling Maxwell and Isabel to include her on their alien discovery. What about Vegas? Vegas was special too! Why was she doing this.

“Why do you want out” he felt his heartbreaking, he read about this in one of her Cosmo girl magazines one time that she left over at his apartment and he thought it was an overreaction and some hormonal thing that the girls were talking about. But he never realized it was something that felt so tangible, so real.

He didn’t think he could move. Even his vague memories of his wars on Antar weren’t as bad as what he was feeling right now. For the first time in his life he truly felt alone.

He turned his back on his heritage, his planet and his past life for her and now she was just walking away. She just kept talking and he would have found it charming and cute if she wasn’t shredding his heart with her words. He didn’t think words could hurt so much.

Then he heard something that brought his attention back to her. She said that the Maria he knew for the past three years isn’t her. Then who the hell was she because he needed to find her and bring her back. The only question that remained was a whisper on his lips. “Will you come back to me?” if he had to wait, that was fine. It was only time.

What he couldn’t handle was that he had lost her forever. Her answer rung loudly in his ears. “I don’t know”. Michael had never been an optimistic person. He generally saw the glass as half empty until proven full. He felt like his soul was being pulled apart by uncertainty.

I don’t know.

He never hated three words so much.
Last edited by Sin on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.