Paladin (CC,A/I,MATURE) Completed - 02/26/12

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Paladin (CC,A/I,MATURE) Part 9 - 01/09/11

Post by PML »

So as I was telling Keepsmiling7 (Carolyn) in a feedback statement, I plan on finishing what I started. As well as I am able to anyway. And so I hopefully can finish Paladin in a few more parts. Don't know if I can do it every day like I did with the others, because this one gets a lot of help from my some time beta, Mt. Gazer.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy.

Paladin Chapter 10

Alex (Christmas Eve)

Alex looked around at his friends as they enjoyed a truly wonderful meal. It was hard to believe that just a few days ago they were fighting for their lives. The right to live them as they wished with whom they wished.

He looked over at Isabel, her face glowing with happiness. He could still feel echoes of the darkness that filled both of them. It would be a while before that fully healed.

It would never truly fade. But a glance at his mother seated at the other table regaling some story or another told him that he would get better. Isabel would too.

And together they would be marvelous.

How could they fail with such friends?

Maria and Michael were taunting each other, Kyle adding in his own asides. Tess just watched them all with a mix of guilt and pure pleasure. He caught her eye and he smiled at her. He remembered the date he had had with her less than a week ago. Of her telling him so much of what her life had been like.

A life without a family, something she had desperately wanted. Something she had assumed she would gain immediately upon arriving in Roswell. It had almost driven her to bitterness and betrayal. Had it been Kyle’s love for her that had caused the change? Or had she simply not let the others in.

When she had asked him for the date, she had been open with him. Had it been Kyle that had saved them in the end? By bringing her humanity to the fore?

Tess ducked her head for a moment and then shot him the brightest smile. She then turned to add her two cents to the argument Maria and Michael were having.

Did it truly matter in the end? She had chosen, and Alex was sure she would be happy with her choice. Alex knew that the other option was simply to grim to contemplate. What would have happened if she had chosen otherwise?

Someone might have died. And died for real. Alex shuddered as if a ghost had walked across his grave.

He shook his head. Now was not the time to worry about what could have happened. No, now was for celebrating what had happened. To celebrate all the good things.

He briefly looked at Isabel. She was playing with her food fitfully. Her mind also still slightly clouded. He smiled at her, reaching across the table to touch her hand.

She looked up at him, and he felt a wave of love cross over. The two of them just stared for a moment. It amazed him how much the bond increased with eye and physical contact. And she said, loudly, “I love you Alex.”

The emotions along the bond were interesting. A mix of love and fear and doubt. Not over the love, that he could feel strongly. No, over the sharing of her actual emotions. Isabel had always needed to hide. Not hiding, that was new for her. And hard. “I love you too, Isabel.”

There was a soft cough coming from the head of their table. A smiling Max said quietly, “Isn’t this what you used to complain about between Liz and I?”

Isabel just turned to face him and stuck out her tongue. Her hand met his and squeezed it tightly though.

Alex rolled his eyes.

Liz came back into the room. She walked past her seat and gave Max a kiss. She then smiled at the parents table. “I think we are mostly done with dinner. You want to help me with the plates, Max?”

“Sure.”

Isabel said, “I will help too.” She smiled up at Alex. “Want to help us?”

He reluctantly pulled his hand away and said, “I need to use the restroom, but I will be out in a moment.”

Liz walked over and patted his shoulder. “It won’t be needed. The three of us will be fine. Take your time. Besides if I need help, I have plenty of other draftees.”

Michael said, “Hey, don’t look at me that way.”

Maria just sighed, “Come on, Spaceboy, give in to the inevitable. Besides after this is dessert, right?”

Liz nodded. “See, don’t worry, Alex.”

Alex swallowed heavily and nodded. He got up and stealthily tried to go to the closet.

The jacket wasn’t there.

He was so doomed. How could he possibly do what he wanted now? The ring had been in there!

He could feel himself beginning to hyperventilate. This had to be perfect, absolutely perfect. What was he going to do now?

He rapidly retreated to the bathroom. He walked over and splashed water on his face, trying to think of a way to repair this….

And in the mirror he saw his jacket hanging on a peg on the wall. On it was a note.

He moved over to grab the jacket and note. He couldn’t help a tear form when he read the note.

Congratulations and Best of Wishes,
Love,
Liz

How could he fail when he had friends such as these?

He steeled himself and put on the jacket. He couldn’t help but wince at the wrinkles on the tie as he put it on. But the whole thing had depended on surprise. He was afraid if he had worn the tie to dinner, Isabel would have known, and now it was wrinkled.

Perfect. He had wanted it all to be PERFECT!

He felt as the tie’s fabric smoothed under his will. The wrinkles were simply gone. He stared at it in shock.

“Changes. Liz is a precog.,” He opened up the box hidden in one of the pockets and examined the ring, “It is too early to say with me or Kyle and Maria. We altering them too, making them more human. Or maybe this is what was supposed to happen all along. I know it feels right.” He took a deep breath. “If dealing with these problems, dealing with this odd sort of transformation… If this is what is required to be with her, to be with my Isabel, I will give myself over in a second.” He laughed suddenly, “Not to mention this is totally cool. Who knows what might happen next!”

He chuckled at himself, shaking his head. He snapped the ring box closed. Now was not the time to geek out and figure if he had won the super power lottery. Now was time to do something critically important.

Again he called upon the focus that his mother had drilled into him. The focus and calm that had allowed him to survive and ultimately defeat Aric.

With one more straightening of his coat he left the bathroom and sought out his love.

--
Diane

Diane could feel the night move along as if propelled by some magic. The dinner had been magnificent, Liz acting as hostess. Talking with Nancy had been and enlightenment of sorts. Apparently Liz got like this sometimes, planned everything to an extreme.

When it worked, everything seemed to flow like magic. When it didn’t, Liz simply came up with a more detailed plan, trying to work everything in.

Liz and Isabel should get along just fine.

Diane had watched each of the couples, and they WERE all couples, there was no doubt about that, All of them were Bonded, as Liz had described it. You could see how something affecting one of the couples would be reflected in the other. As if they were synchronized in some fashion.

She watched as Liz directed the rest of the teens to remove the dinner dishes of their table. Liz came over and asked them if they were finished.

Diane put her hand on the small girl, no, she wasn’t a girl anymore. One look in the eyes of any of these teens would dispel that. They still had further than they thought before they were truly adults.. But they were children no longer

It elated her even as it made her mourn their lost innocence. But the elation came from the knowledge of the caliber of adults they would be. Already they were special, soon they would be simply dazzling.

Diane said to Liz, “Thank you my dear.”

Liz nodded and said, “Thank you for being there for Max. For raising them.” She looked away, and said in a thick voice, “For making them human.” Liz looked back her face covered in tears, “You have no clue how important that is. I for one would be dead if you hadn’t made them human.” She hugged the older woman. “Thank you!”

She held the smaller girl, one that she knew would be her daughter-in-law all too soon. She was the bearer of her first grandchild. And that much too soon.

“Thank you dear. Do you need any help from us older folks?”

Liz wiped her eyes, “No, I think we have it under control.” She just tilted her head slightly, “Just make sure Isabel stays here. Make sure Alex has a moment of peace before she rushes him.”

“What is going on?”

Liz’s eyes sparkled, “Something wonderful!” She all but skipped into the kitchen, stopping only for a few quick comments to her own parents.

Diane’s eyes turned to Isabel, who kept glancing off to the bathroom. That Bond in play again. What could be going on?

Diane watched as emotions flitted across her face. At least they did for her. She knew that only a few could read the relatively impassive girls moods. And knew that even then, her daughter could hide things from her. But the tiny movements of muscles and eye, Isabel was good for as young as she was.

What was that quote? Age and guile beat youth and strength?

Something was up with her daughter and by extension with her Bond mate. What could Alex possibly be doing or thinking!

Gloria came over to her. “Interesting night, huh?”

“Yes. Yes. Enlightening too.”

Gloria chuckled and took a sip of her drink. “All of them. Sunk. And you know I bet they will all make it too. In the long run. I might be wrong, but somehow I don’t think I am.”

“They are still so young, though. So inexperienced.”

Another chuckle, “True enough. That is what we are here for.”

And it hit her. She knew exactly what was going to happen in just a few moments. “Sit Gloria. You will want to watch this.”

“Yes I will.”

“You know?”

Gloria sat next to Diane, “The real question is does SHE know” pointing over to Isabel.

Diane slyly smiled, “I don’t think so. He really is going to…”

Gloria just said, “Shhh. Here he comes.”

--
Isabel

Isabel had been having a wonderful night up to that point. But now… She wasn’t sure. Something was going on with Alex. His emotions were swinging from mad elation to despair to puzzlement and elation again. All before settling on that deep sense of focus she had felt before.

It was the same focus Alex possessed when he had gunned down Aric. So perhaps there was some need for concern.

Maybe… maybe Aric had somehow survived it all. Maybe he had started his revenge with Alex first. She should go to him, make sure that he was okay!

Her mother called to her, “Isabel, come here.”

Isabel licked her lips, torn between what she should do. There would be more fear and anger in Alex if Aric had come back, wouldn’t there? And he was still healthy, still vibrant and strong. She could feel that.

She walked over to her mother, “Mom? Do you need something?”

“I just wanted to tell you that I love you, honey. That I am proud of you.”

She looked back at the part of the house Alex was in. “Alex has been gone for a bit. I should make sure he is okay.”

Gloria snorted, “Trust me the kid is alright. Anyone would have to be a fool to attack you here. All of you together? You would need a tactical airstrike or three.”

Both Diane and Isabel simply looked at her.

Gloria chuckled, “Not helping, huh? Don’t worry. Everything will be fine.” She grinned hard enough for dimples to show, “Or maybe more than fine.”

There was a pause in the clearing of the tables as Liz ushered everyone back into the dining room. Isabel felt her cheeks flush slightly as she became the center of attention

She felt Alex’s eyes on her before she even saw him. Isabel swung rapidly around and looked at him.

He was dressed differently, almost formal. What was going on?

Alex marched up to her, his face impassive. “Isabel. So much has changed since I first met you. For one thing, while I knew you had secrets I didn’t know exactly how deep those secrets truly were. And I thank you and your friends for allowing me the honor to know.”

Isabel said, “Thank you for loving me. For allowing me to know that I can be loved, That I am more than who I was.”

Alex’s face looked almost pained as he said, “Please, let me finish. God this is so hard!” He scratched his head, “Oh, right.” He fell to one knee, “I told you once you were the most beautiful woman in the world, and that I kept following after you despite your reluctance for there to be an us, because I could see that underneath it all, you loved me. I didn’t know why, and I didn’t know how. But I knew.”

“Alex, I….”

He couldn’t actually be doing what she thought he was? Would he? He knew how long it might take for anything to happen between them. How much healing it would take?

Years. It might take years before the horror truly faded.

Could he wait that long?

One look in his eyes told her that he did know. And he would wait. He would wait as long as she needed. “You and I have gone through the fire together, Isabel. Who we were and who we could have been has all been changed. And despite the horror and personal terror for both of us, I think we have proven our true worth. I still don’t know if I am worthy of you, you are so very beautiful, inside and out. And no matter what comes I will always love you.”

He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a box.

It was happening. It really was. She could almost feel herself sway with the giddy sensation that swept through her. Her hand was already moving towards the box and the ring it contained.

Both of them moving awkwardly as their joined nervousness effected them.

He tried to open the box for a moment before sheepishly looking up at Isabel and reversing the box to where it opened easily. He muttered under his breath, where only she could hear, “Perfect, yeah. Good going Whitman. Perfect.”

He shook his head slightly and said, “Isabel, I know we are young. That we both live potentially dangerous lives, but I simply cannot see my life without you. You are the most important thing in the world to me. And, well, Isabel, would you consent to marry me?”

“Yes. Yes I will!” She said enthusiastically pulling him into an embrace. They kissed for a few minutes before a little bit of coughing from the parents table had them separate, blushing fiercely.

As they separated slightly, Isabel stood in front of Alex waving her hand.

Chuckling, Alex slid the ring onto Isabel’s finger.

Everyone cheered. There were some worried looks among the adults, each looking carefully at their child and the one they clung to. But those were worries for tomorrow.

Tonight was truly a night to remember.

Only one thing remained that tied them to a tainted past. That would be dealt with later.

For now there were calls for dessert.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Paladin (CC,A/I,MATURE) Part 10 - 02/24/12

Post by PML »

And here it is, the last chapter. Hope you folks enjoy.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. And thanks for all the help you have given me on this story.

---
Paladin Chapter Epilogue

Isabel

Isabel stood and stared into the darkness. It was late now and the party had long been over…

But in a sense the past was never truly over. She had invited the others to this little bit of release. This destruction of her property.

Something she had infused with a life of its own apparently. So full of horror she had seeped her mental image of what Aric had done to her into it. Strong enough that a normal human would relive it.

Was it any wonder that she, as sensitive as she was, couldn’t handle it? She relived that moment enough as it was. No need to reinforce it.

She felt as Alex’s warm hand grabbed hers.

Jeff and Philip carried the mattress over to where they would burn it. At first they had asked what they were going to burn it with.

Liz had simply raised one hand and said, “Fire.” A spike of flame appeared on top of her open palm. She had learned fast.

Michael merely nodded, his arms wrapped around Maria.

Amy stood a little off, still unsure of where she stood with her daughter. She had almost bailed on this, but Gloria had somehow convinced her to stay.

Gloria had also convinced her husband to stay as well. He wasn’t comfortable with the whole alien concept. He had believed in it his whole life apparently, but it was different when it was proven. Particularly considering his beliefs had the aliens wanting supremacy on Earth. He kept looking at her wide eyed.

Valenti stood with Tess and Kyle, talking firmly with them both. He was a father figure, not just to Kyle and Tess, but to them all. A good man.

The other parents were mixed in how they felt about his actions. He had done his best to protect their children, but still he had kept them in the dark at the same time.

The Parkers were a little confused, but happy at being included. Finding out about Max and what he had done for Liz had put him in their good books for now.

Wait until they find out she is pregnant. That would be almost amusing to watch. Almost.

Liz was nuts.

But she was very good for her brother. Just looking at them together, you could almost feel the love they had for each other. And there was a sense of majesty about them. They had grown and now deserved respect.

Maybe Liz’s parents really wouldn’t hate Max over Liz. Not now that they knew the truth. Maybe a little fast talking….

Isabel shrugged. She would do what she could to help. They had certainly been there for her.

She looked over at her parents. They had always been there for her as well. Diane stood there watching her and Alex, a combination of happiness and worry. Her father simply walked up to them and gave them each a hug. “We are ready. Unless you kids make this into a huge explosion, the fire will be contained.

Alex nodded. “Just give us a couple more minutes.”

Isabel shivered. The thought of what they were about to do. To touch that accursed bed, even if only with the flames her mind could produce, it sent a thrill of fear in her.

Alex asked, “Cold, my love?” Holding her close and sending the love he held for her.

She leaned into him, drinking in that love, and letting him help support her. He was always there for her.

Philip nodded and walked over to hold Diane. The two kissed and began talking.

Isabel turned and focused her attention onto Alex, “Thank you Alex. You are like my very own knight in white armor.”

Alex chuckled over that, “Your paladin, huh?”

She shook him slightly, “What are you talking about?”

Alex was still lightly laughing, “My mom plays games, old fashioned paper games. A paladin is a white knight that seeks to bring order and good to the world.”

Isabel looked at him intently, “I don’t know if you have done that for the whole world, but you have done it to mine. You are my Paladin.”

She felt the oddest mixes of emotions from him. It was a mélange of fear and doubt and determination, the latter two melting under the firmness of the other.

His face was smiling but tears were streaming down, “I don t know if I am good enough for what you need. But I will do my best, I swear.”

Isabel couldn’t help but laugh, a clear crystal sound. “You have done more than you know, my love. You are my champion, and I love you. So never fear that I will push you away again. This ring is a promise to be one someday, and I take such things seriously Alex. You are mine. Forever.”

He nodded, “Forever.”

Max said calmly, “Ready?”

Isabel nodded. She unwrapped herself from Alex and grabbed her brothers hand.

One by one each of the teens linked hands. They felt as the connection spread amongst them, and while it was not as deep as that they each shared with their lovers, it was still deep enough to feel the personality in the link.

A sense of awe and wonder swept through them as the eight of them connected for the first time. A thought came into the collective consciousness. To include not just themselves, but the others. Those who loved them and had supported them over the years, even when they had been ignorant of the details of their lives.

One by one each of the teens reached out to their parents and motioned them to join. And join they did, even if Charles fought it for a moment, his wonder was perhaps the more exquisite.

And together they called down the fire that burnt one of the last remnants of Aric’s madness.

It wouldn’t heal everything of course. That would take time.

--
Three years later on a deserted beach on the coast of the Pacific.

Isabel giggled as she ran from Alex. It was a little more difficult than usual as Alex held the top part of her bikini as he chased her.

Only fair, she had his swimsuit.

Good thing this was a private beach. Apparently they had another Protector, one that was very rich. He had been happy when he found out that they were content to live on Earth. That if the Antarans came they would be ready, and that Liz had already born the Heir if needed.

If not they would live their lives normally, waiting until they were truly required.

She and Alex had been married for a few days. The past had never truly left them, but working with Gloria, and even after a little discussion, Vicky, all of them had improved remarkably.

Enough for physical contact, enough for love. They were married in a small ceremony with their friends and family. It was lavish but small.

It was enough for her. She would have eloped had it been necessary.

Now they had access to this private island and they were making the most of it.

Isabel tripped and fell.

Alex caught up to her and they struggled playfully for a few minutes before she was as naked as Alex. They continued to wrestle in the sand, kissing and caressing the other.

They were about to make love when Alex stopped. “Do we really want to do this here? In all this sand?”

She summoned her powers to her and the winds came and lifted them slightly. The sand that coated their sweaty bodies was swept away. She smiled at him, “Better now?”

Alex looked down at the two foot drop. “An air mattress. I am impressed. But can you actually keep this up when I do this?” He tickled her mercilessly and they went back to their foreplay.

Despite all that the world had thrown against them, all the trauma and even destiny itself, they had managed to reach this point. Nothing could stop them now.

And hovering above the beach, a torus of wind supporting them, they made love.